No data available that match "Secularism"
On CBS, Columbine Dad Blames Violence on SecularismThe emotions surrounding the murder of five girls at an Amish school in Pennsylvania were still raw Monday when the 'CBS Evening News' put on a commentator who blamed such violence on abortion and 'expelling God from the school.'
The Politics of Christianity, and of Secularism | Catholic CultureThey ought to fear politicians who embrace contemporary secularism.. Jeffrey Mirus holds a Ph.D. in intellectual history from ... The Politics of Christianity, and of Secularism. By Dr. Jeff Mirus (bio - articles - email) , Sep 14, 2011 ... Islam cannot say as much, of course, but then neither can any form of secularism. The modern religions of secular liberalism ... and why-whether they believe in Catholicism or Secularism. ...
Poet Iqbal's secularism can't be confined within religious walls: Naeem Akhtar | The Siasat Daily"Iqbal has written a long poem in praise of (Lord) Ram and there also his secularism did not end. Iqbal's secularism is the key ... Poet Iqbal's secularism can't be confined within religious walls: Naeem Akhtar. May 3, 2016, 3:49 PM IST ... He said the greatest tribute to Iqbal "is to reverse this concept by invoking Iqbal's secularism and unshackle him from the ... He said Iqbal has been the most positive and modern thinker whose secularism knew no religious boundaries. "Iqbal has always ...
International: "Challenges of Change: Religion, Secularism & Rights" | Women Living Under Muslim LawsA one-day event will be held on "Challenges of Change: Religion, Secularism & Rights" in Washington, DC on 21 September 2010. ...
Secularism and Poverty - Acton Institute PowerBlogPosted in Bible and Theology, Effective CompassionTagged poverty, secularism Related posts. *Deacons, Secularism, and the ... This is a point I talk about, by the way, in The End of Secularism.) The state eats up both resources and social influence. The ... He is the author of The End of Secularism and Political Thought: A Student's Guide. ...
Ekklesia | Re-assessing Turkey's faith and secularism battleFor its part, the AKP cannot simply proceed with fundamental constitutional reforms that are seen as an assault on secularism. ... They should look to the best traditions of secularism that separate state and mosque without divorcing religion from politics. ... Home / Blogs / Simon Barrow's blog / Re-assessing Turkey's faith and secularism battle ...
DEF Religion and Ethics: Take your secularist medicine.I am greatly surprised at the hostility to secularism, and the tolerance of theocracy on display on the ABC religion pages. ... It's the unfinished and continuing work of secularism and the enlightenment.. And once again, we have the old canard of ... Secularism should be seen in a similar positive light as concepts like democracy and human rights. ... Here ends my second attempt to comment on this article, and defend our precious secularism. My first comment has disappeared in ...
Secularism - Canadian ChristianityAs promised last week, I would like to use OttawaWatch, the next few weeks, to look at some ideas that might be radically conflict-resolving and that might take a few years or even decades to implement. This past weekend As a result of the political activities of the past weekend we have a new ball […] ...
Audio: Chanukah, Mesorah, Female Rabbis, Secularism, and More | Matzav.comHome News Breaking News Audio: Chanukah, Mesorah, Female Rabbis, Secularism, and More ... The following drashah, on "Chanukah, Mesorah, Female Rabbis, Secularism, and More," was delivered this week at Yeshiva Rabbeinu ... Audio: Chanukah, Mesorah, Female Rabbis, Secularism, and More. December 10, 2015. 10:14 am 2 ...
House of Lords on religion, public services and secularism - News from Parliament - UK ParliamentHouse of Lords on religion, public services and secularism 19 March 2010 ...
Book Launch: Secularism and Identity | Middlesex University London5:30pm 'Secularism and Identity: Non-Islamiosity in the Iranian Diaspora' presented by Dr Reza Gholami and his guests: Dr ... The Department of Education presents the launch of 'Secularism and Identity: Non-Islamiosity in the Iranian Diaspora' by Reza ... 5.20pm Introduction to 'Secularism and Identity: Non-Islamiosity in the Iranian Diaspora' by Prof Waqar Ahmad, Deputy Vice- ... Calling into question notions of anti-Islamism and Islamophobia, whilst examining secularism as a means or mechanism rather ...
The Ties that Bind: Multiculturalism and Secularism Reconsidered by Brenna Bhandar :: SSRNDrawing on Marx and Hegel, it argues that at the core of secularism and multiculturalism there lies the germ of a subject and ... The Ties that Bind: Multiculturalism and Secularism Reconsidered. Journal of Law and Society, Vol. 36, Issue 3, pp. 301-326, ... While secularism ostensibly decouples culture from religion to produce a common political culture, and multiculturalism ... The Ties that Bind: Multiculturalism and Secularism Reconsidered. This is a Wiley-Blackwell Publishing paper. Wiley-Blackwell ...
Taking Jihad to School - French Programs Emphasize Secularism :: Islamist WatchTaking Jihad to School - French Programs Emphasize Secularism. by Abigail R. Esman. Investigative Project. April 22, 2015 ...
The End of Secularism (What's Wrong with the World)The End of Secularism. by Kristor on Aug 22, 18:26 * The End of Secularism. by Tony on Aug 21, 16:17 * The End of Secularism. ... The End of Secularism. by RobertK on Aug 20, 20:28 * The End of Secularism. by CJ on Aug 20, 19:54 Subscribe to this blog's ... But what would happen if they turned their focus on secularism? Hunter Baker seeks the answer to that question by putting ... This ambitious work offers one of the most comprehensive attacks on secularism yet attempted. Hunter Baker argues that ...
Commentary on the government policy paper regarding secularism and reasonable accommodations... Commentary on the government ... responsible for Democratic Institutions and Active Citizenship released the government policy paper regarding secularism and ...
India: Anti Christians violence - Secularism is a Women's IssueOne of India's leading Catholic prelates has denounced a brutal assault on a fellow Catholic bishop in the southern Indian state of Andhra (...)
Ekklesia | Category - secularismA Canadian Catholic priest is urging Quebec to move towards a model of "open secularism" that respects both religious and non- ... freedom of religion is in decline and plural secularism threatened, says a journalist-turned-Christian activist who is now ...
CFI Forums | Religion and SecularismPosted: 05-18-2007 04:01 ...
Secularism Archives - Camels With HammersCopyright 2008-2017, Patheos. All rights reserved ...
Religion and Secularism in the European Union... State of Affairs and Current Debates. Series: *Dynamiques citoyennes en Europe ... Since 2013 she has been monitoring current developments in religion and secularism at the Observatory of Religions and ... a moment in which future tendencies in the field of religion and secularism are being defined, and negotiated. There is little ... State-Church relations and secularism in the EU, which especially during the past two decades have undergone profound changes, ...
Secularism is assured: House speaker - ucanews.comSecularism is assured: House speaker. Minister calms fears over return to Hindu dominance ... "Even the Vatican warns Catholics against secularism," he said. "Secularism gives atheists the upper hand over religions in the ... Secularism is assured: House speaker Minister calms fears over return to Hindu dominance ... "Unlike other topics which required discussion, secularism was approved and okayed by leaders without controversy," he said, ...
No data available that match "Secularism"
(1/14) Secular humanism and "scientific psychiatry".
The Council for Secular Humanism identifies Secular Humanism as a "way of thinking and living" committed to rejecting authoritarian beliefs and embracing "individual freedom and responsibility ... and cooperation." The paradigmatic practices of psychiatry are civil commitment and insanity defense, that is, depriving innocent persons of liberty and excusing guilty persons of their crimes: the consequences of both are confinement in institutions ostensibly devoted to the treatment of mental diseases. Black's Law Dictionary states: "Every confinement of the person is an 'imprisonment,' whether it be in a common prison, or in private house, or in the stocks, or even by forcibly detaining one in the public streets." Accordingly, I maintain that Secular Humanism is incompatible with the principles and practices of psychiatry. (+info)
(2/14) What's the problem? A response to "secular humanism and scientific psychiatry".
Notwithstanding the interest and importance of Szasz's position, it neglects the phenomena, the real problems which take people to the clinic seeking treatment, and the conditionality of the notion of individual responsibility. (+info)
(3/14) Religion and gender in a men's hospital and school of nursing, 1866-1969.
(4/14) Growth and puberty in German children: is there still a positive secular trend?
(5/14) Secular trends in neuroblastoma mortality before and after the cessation of national mass screening in Japan.
BACKGROUND: In 2003, the Japanese government halted the national mass screening program for neuroblastoma (NB), which had been running since the mid-1980s. It is not known whether the NB mortality rate subsequently increased or decreased. METHODS: Utilizing vital statistics data from 1980 through 2006, we analyzed the secular trends in NB mortality by using cancer of the adrenal gland as a surrogate. We examined the validity of this substitution by comparing the results with data from death certificates. Using a joinpoint regression model, we examined the trends in age-specific mortality rates by calendar year and cumulative mortality rates by birth year. The cumulative mortality rate was analyzed for age under 1 or 2 years for infants born after the cessation of the mass screening program. RESULTS: The number of deaths from cancer of the adrenal gland was closely correlated with the number of deaths from NB. Significant decreases in the mortality rate were observed from 1980 through 2006 by calendar year for those aged under 1 year, 1 to 4 years, and 5 to 9 years. The cumulative mortality rates by birth year also significantly decreased from the 1980 birth cohort. Although the cumulative mortality rates under the age of 2 appear to have increased after the 2003 birth cohort, the change was not statistically significant. CONCLUSIONS: No significant increase in the NB mortality rate was detected after the cessation of the mass screening program in Japan. However, continuous monitoring is still needed to fully evaluate this health policy decision. (+info)
(6/14) Attributes of colleges and schools of pharmacy in the United States.
OBJECTIVES: To compare the attributes of US colleges and schools of pharmacy and describe the extent of change to the pharmacy education enterprise associated with the addition of new schools. METHODS: Attributes analyzed included whether the college or school of pharmacy was old or new, public or private, secular or faith-based, and on or not on an academic health center (AHC) campus; had 3- or 4- year programs; and had PhD students enrolled. PharmD student enrollment-to-faculty ratios and junior-to-senior faculty ratios also were examined. RESULTS: Of the new colleges/schools, 76% were private and 79% were not located on a campus with an AHC; 6% had PhD enrollment compared with 80% of old colleges/schools. Faculty ratios were related to several college/school attributes, including the presence or absence of PhD students and whether the college/school was public or private. CONCLUSIONS: Attributes of new colleges and schools of pharmacy have changed the overall profile of all colleges and schools of pharmacy. For example, smaller percentages of all colleges and schools of pharmacy are public and have PhD enrollees. (+info)
(7/14) Conflicts between conservative Christian institutions and secular groups in sub-Saharan Africa: ideological discourses on sexualities, reproduction and HIV/AIDS.
(8/14) Secular versus religious norms against smoking: which is more important as a driver of quitting behaviour among Muslim Malaysian and Buddhist Thai smokers?
BACKGROUND: This paper prospectively examined two kinds of social normative beliefs about smoking, secular versus religious norms. PURPOSE: The purpose of this paper is to determine the relative importance of these beliefs in influencing quitting behaviour among Muslim Malaysian and Buddhist Thai smokers. METHODS: Data come from 2,166 Muslim Malaysian and 2,463 Buddhist Thai adult smokers who participated in the first three waves of the International Tobacco Control Southeast Asia project. Respondents were followed up about 18 months later with replenishment. Respondents were asked at baseline about whether their society disapproved of smoking and whether their religion discouraged smoking, and those recontacted at follow-up were asked about their quitting activity. RESULTS: Majority of both religious groups perceived that their religion discouraged smoking (78% Muslim Malaysians and 86% Buddhist Thais) but considerably more Buddhist Thais than Muslim Malaysians perceived that their society disapproved of smoking (80% versus 25%). Among Muslim Malaysians, religious, but not societal, norms had an independent effect on quit attempts. By contrast, among the Buddhist Thais, while both normative beliefs had an independent positive effect on quit attempts, the effect was greater for societal norms. The two kinds of normative beliefs, however, were unrelated to quit success among those who tried. CONCLUSIONS: The findings suggest that religious norms about smoking may play a greater role than secular norms in driving behaviour change in an environment, like Malaysia where tobacco control has been relatively weak until more recently, but, in the context of a strong tobacco control environment like Thailand, secular norms about smoking become the dominant force. (+info)
form of secularism
- Islam cannot say as much, of course, but then neither can any form of secularism. (catholicculture.org)
- Drawing on detailed interview and ethnographic material gathered in the UK, this book examines the ways in which a form of secularism - 'non-Islamiosity' - amongst members of the Iranian diaspora shapes ideas and practices of diasporic community and identity, as well as wider social relations. (mdx.ac.uk)
- Hunter Baker argues that advocates of secularism misunderstand the borders between science, religion, and politics and cannot solve the problem of religious difference. (whatswrongwiththeworld.net)
- Hunter Baker seeks the answer to that question by putting secularism under the microscope and carefully examining its origins, its context, its claims, and the viability of those claims. (whatswrongwiththeworld.net)
- While secularism ostensibly decouples culture from religion to produce a common political culture, and multiculturalism purports to accommodate a diverse range of cultural and religious practices, both fail to accommodate difference that stretches the bounds of a citizen-subject defined according to Anglo-European norms of culture, which implicitly includes Christianity. (ssrn.com)
- The article examines contemporary controversies over the rights of Muslim women to wear various forms of the veil, in both France and the United Kingdom and argues that despite their apparent differences as political ideologies, both multiculturalism and secularism are deployed as techniques to govern difference. (ssrn.com)
- Drawing on Marx and Hegel, it argues that at the core of secularism and multiculturalism there lies the germ of a subject and law formed through a concept of culture that was to a great degree indivisible from religion. (ssrn.com)
- A one-day event will be held on "Challenges of Change: Religion, Secularism & Rights" in Washington, DC on 21 September 2010. (wluml.org)
- I am greatly surprised at the hostility to secularism, and the tolerance of theocracy on display on the ABC religion pages. (blogspot.com)
- And once again, we have the old canard of secularism/atheism being a defacto religion. (blogspot.com)
- Calling into question notions of anti-Islamism and Islamophobia, whilst examining secularism as a means or mechanism rather than an end, this volume offers a new understanding of religion as a marker of migrant identity. (mdx.ac.uk)
- As such it will appeal to scholars of sociology, anthropology and political science with interests in migration and ethnicity, diasporic communities, the sociology of religion and emerging forms of secularism. (mdx.ac.uk)
- This comprehensive and readable book is a major contribution and addition to the growing literature on Iranian and Muslim immigrants in diaspora, and a valuable book for anyone concerned with the complex relationships between migration, religion, diaspora, identity, and secularism. (mdx.ac.uk)
- This ambitious work offers one of the most comprehensive attacks on secularism yet attempted. (whatswrongwiththeworld.net)
- It's the unfinished and continuing work of secularism and the enlightenment. (blogspot.com)
- He said Iqbal has been the most positive and modern thinker whose secularism knew no religious boundaries. (siasat.com)
- Secularism should be seen in a similar positive light as concepts like democracy and human rights. (blogspot.com)
- Politicians in particular, concerned as they are with natural solutions to social, political and economic problems, are seldom capable of articulating precisely how their beliefs influence their politics, and why-whether they believe in Catholicism or Secularism. (catholicculture.org)