Personhood: The state or condition of being a human individual accorded moral and/or legal rights. Criteria to be used to determine this status are subject to debate, and range from the requirement of simply being a human organism to such requirements as that the individual be self-aware and capable of rational thought and moral agency.Beginning of Human Life: The point at which religious ensoulment or PERSONHOOD is considered to begin.Ceremonial Behavior: A series of actions, sometimes symbolic actions which may be associated with a behavior pattern, and are often indispensable to its performance.Ethicists: Persons trained in philosophical or theological ethics who work in clinical, research, public policy, or other settings where they bring their expertise to bear on the analysis of ethical dilemmas in policies or cases. (Bioethics Thesaurus)
lifeissues.net | Infanticide Controversy: Why the outrage?... no matter where we fall on the spectrum of when we believe personhood should be attributed, recognition of another as a person ... I suggest that because personhood is an attributed characteristic and, ... Personhood… One way pro-choice supporters "justify" abortion is to distinguish between human beings and persons, arguing that ... I suggest that because personhood is an attributed characteristic and, no matter where we fall on the spectrum of when we ...
Blazing The Trail To Personhood, California Style! - Judie Brown Commentary - News | American Life LeagueI believe personhood is God-given and not government-granted. It is not offered to the elite and denied to the "least of these ... I believe personhood is RIGHT.. The "unconditional love" for the preborn child in my heart, is rooted in the love Christ has ... I believe personhood, addresses the most important RIGHT of all … the RIGHT to LIVE, without which all other rights are ... Is it not amazing that we are forced, in our so-called advanced society, to defend the notion of personhood? Is it not shocking ...
Okie Embryos Denied Personhood | NotionsCapitalOkie Embryos Denied Personhood. A bill to grant personhood to unborn Oklahomans tragically miscarried in the state's House of ... Tags: embryos, Oklahoma, personhood, women, women's health, zygotes. This entry was posted on April 21, 2012 at 8:51 am and is ... The "personhood" bill would have granted full legal rights to biological byproducts of conventionally consummated adult ... "personhood" to their fertilized eggs and embryos. The Oklahoma legislature decided to table the vote and avoid the wrath of ...
Mississippi Personhood - Failure of Personhood MovementYes, Mississippi voted down that duck-brained "personhood" amendment, but that was partly because nervous suburban mommies got ...
Jonah Goldberg: Attacks on corporate personhood get personal - LA TimesAll corporate personhood means is that corporations are legal entities that have certain rights or 'standing' under ... All corporate personhood means is that corporations are legal entities that have certain rights or 'standing' under the law. ... What I find most fascinating about the debate over corporate personhood is the fact that the people who defend corporate ... The war on corporate personhood is really nothing more than a novel ploy to regulate corporations more. ...
Artificial Agents, Zombies, and Legal PersonhoodI've written on this question, and my essay, Legal Personhood for Artificial Intelligence, suggests that the legal personhood ... Legal Personhood for Artificial Agents?. A Legal Theory for Autonomous Artificial Agents, by Samir Chopra and Laurence F. White ... But legal personhood does not necessarily imply the full panoply of rights we assign to human persons. Current doctrine may ... In the latter group is a cluster of questions about legal personhood for artificial agents that do not yet exist-agents with ...
Zygotes Are People | Matt BorsNew personhood" legislation is popping up all over the country, namely in Mississippi, where a ballot measure to give ... But in the era of corporate personhood, I suppose giving zygotes the same consideration as the stack of papers incorporating ...
Tommy the Chimp Subject of Bid for Legal Personhood - ABC News"New York statutory and common law do not limit legal personhood to Homo sapiens and have already conferred legal personhood ... "Our goal is to make sure that we move them from a legal status with no rights or capacity to rights for personhood so we can ... Rebutting Wise at a 2000 debate at Northwestern Law School, Epstein said the definition of personhood is "someone who is part ... Other lawyers have been critical of the effort to give personhood to animals, most notably Richard Epstein, an NYU law ...
Does Judith Jarvis Thomson Really Grant the Pro-Life View of Fetal Personhood in Her Defense of Abortion?: A Rawlsian...Does Judith Jarvis Thomson Really Grant the Pro-Life View of Fetal Personhood in Her Defense of Abortion?. A Rawlsian ... Thomson employs Rawlsian liberalism to argue that even though the prolifer's view of fetal personhood is not unreasonable, the ...
States Acknowledge Unborn Despite Personhood Amdt Defeat | LifeNews.com... recognition and protection of the unborn child is not fatally diminished by the recent rejection of the Mississippi personhood ... States Acknowledge Unborn Despite Personhood Amdt Defeat. Opinion Bill Saunders & Mary Novick Nov 17, 2011 , 12:43PM Washington ... In this case, the Court looked to the legal precedent for personhood that was set by Alabama's fetal homicide law. This ... there can be no doubt that there is widespread recognition of the personhood of the unborn child in the United States. ...
Citizens United, Corporate Personhood, and Corporate Power: The Tension between Constitutional Law and Corporate Law by Susanna...Keywords: corporate personhood, constitutional personhood, corporate First Amendment rights, free speech, political speech, ... personhood is largely indeterminate and sometimes irrelevant. More significantly, corporate personhood and power do not find ... Citizens United, Corporate Personhood, and Corporate Power: The Tension between Constitutional Law and Corporate Law. 6 ... Legal history shows that the personhood label has long been arbitrarily applied in constitutional law cases, and, as a ...
Corporate Personhood - What it Means for the Pro-life Movement - Judie Brown Commentary - News | American Life LeagueCorporate Personhood - What it Means for the Pro-life Movement February 17, 2010 09:00 AM ... In fact, stare decisis plays a major role in objections to state human personhood initiatives-namely that it is bad timing to ... The fear is that he is espoused to stare decisis, that he does not want to address constitutional personhood in any respect. ... Another relevant point: CU v. FEC, in essence, affords the rights of personhood to corporations. One cannot help but point out ...
Personhood USA Surpasses 1 Million Signatures Against Abortion; Launches Campaign for 10 million... ... Personhood USA leaders say that, to their knowledge, Personhood USA is the first organization involved in the issue of abortion ... Personhood USA is collecting signatures in several states through ballot initiatives and through efforts coordinated at www. ... Personhood USA Surpasses 1 Million Signatures Against Abortion; Launches Campaign for 10 million. Jul 11, 2013, 15:38 ET from ...
Front-Runner Romney Skips Personhood Forum | KBIA... sponsored by the anti-abortion rights group Personhood USA. Participating in the event ... Front-Runner Romney Skips Personhood Forum By Don Gonyea • Jan 19, 2012 ... A candidate forum was held in Greenville, S.C., Wednesday night, sponsored by the anti-abortion rights group Personhood USA. ...
Personhood OhioGet the best of Raw Story, delivered ...
Mississippi voting on 'personhood' amendment - CNNMississippi amendment on 'personhood' divides Christians. The idea for personhood was born during Roe v. Wade's oral arguments ... Personhood USA is trying to use the amendment to establish "personhood" as a direct challenge to the Roe v. Wade ruling. ... Other personhood measures are being planned for next year in Florida, Montana and Ohio, according to supporters. Efforts in at ... "We may have been behind on civil rights, but we can be ahead on human rights, and that's what personhood is really all about." ...
Personhood | Define Personhood at Dictionary.comPersonhood definition, the state or fact of being a person. See more. ... Paid sick leave, personhood, you name it, all of them went in the progressive direction, most of them by overwhelmingly margins ... Charles Siebert, The New York Times Magazine Steven Wise is arguing for the legal "personhood" of chimps and other animals. ... He believes brain chemistry undermines his sense of free will and personhood and that psychology explains away love and ...
Personhood Archives - Christian Research InstitutePersonhood Archive. Should Christians support a ban on embryonic stem cell research? In 2004 the cash-strapped state of ...
'Personhood' amendment gains..."Personhood is bigger than just shutting abortion clinics; it's an opportunity for people to say that we're made in the image of ... The drive for personhood amendments has split the anti-abortion forces nationally. Some groups call it an inspired moral leap, ... With this far-reaching anti-abortion strategy, the proponents of what they call personhood amendments hope to reshape the ...
Personhood by BUSCAGLIA (Paperback, 1993) | eBayFind great deals for Personhood by BUSCAGLIA (Paperback, 1993). Shop with confidence on eBay! ...
Sen. Paul Demands Personhood Vote - The Daily BeastPaul has refused to approve the measure until his fetal personhood legislation gets a vote. Trying to contain his frustration, ...
Corporation personhood debate heads back to SCOTUS | MSNBCCorporation personhood debate heads back... info Corporation personhood debate heads back.... Mike Sachs of the Huffington Post ... Corporation personhood debate heads back to SCOTUS Mike Sachs of the Huffington Post and Jon Bonifaz of Free Speech for People ...
Epistemic Dimensions of Personhood - Oxford ScholarshipEpistemic Dimensions of Personhood. Simon J. Evnine. Abstract. This book discusses various epistemic aspects of what it is to ...
Displaced Personhood: Peter Milligan's "Red Lanterns #10" | PopMattersTo survive, in other words, each must displace their own sense of personhood. Milligan's crafting of this parallelism is as ...
The Human Life ReviewCeremonial (Pink Cream 69 album)Dignitas Personae: Dignitas Personae is the title of a 2008 instruction by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith giving doctrinal directives on certain embryonic ethical controversies that had emerged since 1987, after Donum Vitae was released.
(1/137) Cloning, killing, and identity.
One potentially valuable use of cloning is to provide a source of tissues or organs for transplantation. The most important objection to this use of cloning is that a human clone would be the sort of entity that it would be seriously wrong to kill. I argue that entities of the sort that you and I essentially are do not begin to exist until around the seventh month of fetal gestation. Therefore to kill a clone prior to that would not be to kill someone like you or me but would be only to prevent one of us from existing. And even after one of us begins to exist, the objections to killing it remain comparatively weak until its psychological capacities reach a certain level of maturation. These claims support the permissibility of killing a clone during the early stages of its development in order to use its organs for transplantation. (+info)
(2/137) Should we clone human beings? Cloning as a source of tissue for transplantation.
The most publicly justifiable application of human cloning, if there is one at all, is to provide self-compatible cells or tissues for medical use, especially transplantation. Some have argued that this raises no new ethical issues above those raised by any form of embryo experimentation. I argue that this research is less morally problematic than other embryo research. Indeed, it is not merely morally permissible but morally required that we employ cloning to produce embryos or fetuses for the sake of providing cells, tissues or even organs for therapy, followed by abortion of the embryo or fetus. (+info)
(3/137) Persons and their copies.
Is cloning human beings morally wrong? The basis for the one serious objection to cloning is that, because of what a clone is, clones would have much worse lives than non-clones. I sketch a fragment of moral theory to make sense of the objection. I then outline several ways in which it might be claimed that, because of what a clone is, clones would have much worse lives than non-clones. In particular, I look at various ideas connected with autonomy. I conclude that there is no basis to the claim that, because of what a clone is, clones would have much worse lives than non-clones. I therefore reject the claim that cloning human beings is morally wrong. (+info)
(4/137) Equality and selection for existence.
It is argued that the policy of excluding from further life some human gametes and pre-embryos as "unfit" for existence is not at odds with a defensible idea of human equality. Such an idea must be compatible with the obvious fact that the "functional" value of humans differs, that their "use" to themselves and others differs. A defensible idea of human equality is instead grounded in the fact that as this functional difference is genetically determined, it is nothing which makes humans deserve or be worthy of being better or worse off. Rather, nobody is worth a better life than anyone else. This idea of equality is, however, not applicable to gametes and pre-embryos, since they are not human beings, but something out of which human beings develop. (+info)
(5/137) Prenatal diagnosis and discrimination against the disabled.
Two versions of the argument that prenatal diagnosis discriminates against the disabled are distinguished and analysed. Both are shown to be inadequate, but some valid concerns about the social effects of prenatal diagnosis are highlighted. (+info)
(6/137) Survey of Japanese physicians' attitudes towards the care of adult patients in persistent vegetative state.
OBJECTIVES: Ethical issues have recently been raised regarding the appropriate care of patients in persistent vegetative state (PVS) in Japan. The purpose of our study is to study the attitudes and beliefs of Japanese physicians who have experience caring for patients in PVS. DESIGN AND SETTING: A postal questionnaire was sent to all 317 representative members of the Japan Society of Apoplexy working at university hospitals or designated teaching hospitals by the Ministry of Health and Welfare. The questionnaire asked subjects what they would recommend for three hypothetical vignettes that varied with respect to a PVS patient's previous wishes and the wishes of the family. RESULTS: The response rate was 65%. In the case of a PVS patient who had no previous expressed wishes and no family, 3% of the respondents would withdraw artificial nutrition and hydration (ANH) when the patient did not require any other life-sustaining treatments, 4% would discontinue ANH, and 30% would withhold antibiotics when the patient developed pneumonia. Significantly more respondents (17%) would withdraw ANH in the case of a PVS patient whose previous wishes and family agreed that all life support be discontinued. Most respondents thought that a patient's written advance directives would influence their decisions. Forty per cent of the respondents would want to have ANH stopped and 31% would not want antibiotics administered if they were in PVS. CONCLUSIONS: Japanese physicians tend not to withdraw ANH from PVS patients. Patients' written advance directives, however, would affect their decisions. (+info)
(7/137) On becoming non-judgmental: some difficulties for an ethics of counselling.
The growth in the availability of counselling services has been accompanied by growing concern about the conduct of counsellors, which in turn has led to the expressed need for an ethics of counselling. This paper will argue that there is an inherent tension between this need and the central tenets of one variety of counselling, client-centred counselling. The tension is identifiable on the basis of an inquiry into the nature of moral judgment which results in the recognition of the implicit value base in client-centred counselling. It is only when this value base is made explicit that any adequate ethics of counselling becomes a viable possibility. (+info)
(8/137) The morality of abortion and the deprivation of futures.
In an influential essay entitled Why abortion is wrong, Donald Marquis argues that killing actual persons is wrong because it unjustly deprives victims of their future; that the fetus has a future similar in morally relevant respects to the future lost by competent adult homicide victims, and that, as consequence, abortion is justifiable only in the same circumstances in which killing competent adult human beings is justifiable. The metaphysical claim implicit in the first premise, that actual persons have a future of value, is ambiguous. The Future Like Ours argument (FLO) would be valid if "future of value" were used consistently to mean either "potential future of value" or "self-represented future of value", and FLO would be sound if one or the other interpretation supported both the moral claim and the metaphysical claim, but if, as I argue, any interpretation which makes the argument valid renders it unsound, then FLO must be rejected. Its apparent strength derives from equivocation on the concept of "a future of value". (+info)
- But particularly in the wake of the Supreme Court's Citizens United vs. FEC decision in 2010 - which opened the political process to more 'corporate money' (loosely defined) - the left has been on a tear about the evils of 'corporate personhood. (latimes.com)
- All corporate personhood means is that corporations are legal entities that have certain rights or 'standing' under the law. (latimes.com)
- The war on corporate personhood is really nothing more than a novel ploy to regulate corporations more. (latimes.com)
- What I find most fascinating about the debate over corporate personhood is the fact that the people who defend corporate personhood don't anthropomorphize big business nearly as much as those who oppose it. (latimes.com)
- A bill to grant personhood to unborn Oklahomans tragically miscarried in the state's House of Representatives this past Thursday. (wordpress.com)
- The fight for legal recognition and protection of the unborn child is not fatally diminished by the recent rejection of the Mississippi personhood initiative . (lifenews.com)
- In fact, there have been multiple victories for the recognition of the unborn child as a person under the law across the country this year, and there is a winning strategy in place to continue setting legal precedent for personhood. (lifenews.com)
- With 37 states recognizing the unborn child under criminal law and 38 states recognizing the unborn child under civil law, there can be no doubt that there is widespread recognition of the personhood of the unborn child in the United States. (lifenews.com)
- It is this very point that makes the case for the current struggle to achieve protection for the least in our midst by constitutionally clarifying through human personhood amendments the identity and the rights of the preborn. (all.org)
- Those who are a part of this grassroots movement understand personhood for what it is-a shift in the pro-life movement to recognize the most basic of the human rights of preborn children," Mason continued. (prnewswire.com)
- Things are really heating up in California as Pastor Walter Hoye continues his grassroots campaign to help assure that human personhood makes the ballot in the state. (all.org)
- Personhood USA is collecting signatures in several states through ballot initiatives and through efforts coordinated at www.personhoodusa.com . (prnewswire.com)
- In fact, stare decisis plays a major role in objections to state human personhood initiatives-namely that it is bad timing to pursue any human personhood initiative now due to a supposed unfavorable composition of Supreme Court justices. (all.org)
- That's the message of the personhood movement and the California Human Rights Amendment lead by black pastor and civil rights icon, Walter Hoye . (all.org)
- This recent decision has huge implications for the human personhood movement, the movement that seeks legal recognition that all human beings are persons. (all.org)
- Whereas persons are constitutionally protected and whereas the Supreme Court in CU v. FEC correctly defends the personhood of corporations, as the constitution clearly demands (in the Bill of Rights and the 5th and 14th Amendments to the United States Constitution), so should, according to the personhood movement, human persons be afforded those same rights and protections. (all.org)
- Does Judith Jarvis Thomson Really Grant the Pro-Life View of Fetal Personhood in Her Defense of Abortion? (pdcnet.org)
- WASHINGTON , July 11, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Personhood USA has collected the signatures of over one million Americans in opposition to abortion in every case. (prnewswire.com)
- Now with nearly 2 million signatures, Personhood USA has announced that they plan to gather over 10 million signatures in opposition to abortion and in support of a 100% pro-life position at their new website http://www.TenMillionForLife.com/ . (prnewswire.com)
- Personhood USA leaders say that, to their knowledge, Personhood USA is the first organization involved in the issue of abortion to collect over a million signatures. (prnewswire.com)
- A candidate forum was held in Greenville, S.C., Wednesday night, sponsored by the anti-abortion rights group Personhood USA. (kbia.org)
- There is no question that the fact of human personhood is grounded in those very principles that Washington so brilliantly enunciated, that our founding fathers so artfully included in the United States Constitution and which Giddings reiterated during the 14th Amendment debates. (all.org)
- Yes, Mississippi voted down that duck-brained "personhood" amendment, but that was partly because nervous suburban mommies got nervous that their infertile daughters would have to go to Vermont or somewhere else to conceive their precious little snowflake babies artificially. (esquire.com)
- The "personhood" bill would have granted full legal rights to biological byproducts of conventionally consummated adult heterosexual human love lodged in the female of the species, without regard to their independent viability or exceptions for health risks or rape or incest or forced space alien and demonic impregnation. (wordpress.com)
- In this case, the Court looked to the legal precedent for personhood that was set by Alabama's fetal homicide law. (lifenews.com)
- Personhood is front and center in the battle for human lives. (prnewswire.com)
- Blazing The Trail To Personhood, California Style! (all.org)
- As we collect 10 million signatures, Personhood will continue to take the nation by storm. (prnewswire.com)
- Such a law would have criminalized forms of birth control and fertility treatment as well as some types of vigorous exercise, and would have denied healthcare choice to women in the name of granting "personhood" to their fertilized eggs and embryos. (wordpress.com)