Organic Agriculture: Systems of agriculture which adhere to nationally regulated standards that restrict the use of pesticides, non-organic fertilizers, genetic engineering, growth hormones, irradiation, antibiotics, and non-organic ANIMAL FEED.Agriculture: The science, art or practice of cultivating soil, producing crops, and raising livestock.United States Department of Agriculture: A cabinet department in the Executive Branch of the United States Government concerned with improving and maintaining farm income and developing and expanding markets for agricultural products. Through inspection and grading services it safeguards and insures standards of quality in food supply and production.Crops, Agricultural: Cultivated plants or agricultural produce such as grain, vegetables, or fruit. (From American Heritage Dictionary, 1982)
Organic Agriculture: The Challenge of Sustaining Food Production While Enhancing Biodiversity ad090e00... and the competitiveness of organic agriculture'11. 1.4 The role of organic agriculture in enhancing biodiversity. In organic ... 2.3 Organic agriculture nurtures soil biodiversity. Building of soil fertility is the cornerstone of organic agriculture. ... 1.3 Organic agriculture and biodiversity in international agreements. Organic agriculture offers a means to address food self- ... Biodiversity and Organic Agriculture of the International Federation for Organic Agriculture Movements, the World Conservation ...
Our Beloved Earth: Organic Farming "Could Feed Africa"The "green revolution" in agriculture in the 1960s - when the production of food caught and surpassed the needs of the global ... An analysis of 114 projects in 24 African countries found that yields had more than doubled where organic, or near-organic ... "Organic can feed the people in rural areas," he says. "It's sustainable and what we produce now we can go on producing.". ... "Organic farming can often lead to polarised views," said Mr Steiner, a former economist. "With some viewing it as a saviour and ...
Organic Eprints - Items affiliated to " International Conferences | 2008: IFOAM OWC: Research Track / ISOFAR | 2.5 Plant...2nd Conference of the International Society of Organic Agriculture Research ISOFAR, Modena, Italy, June 18-20, 2008. ... Heiko (2008) Does regional organic screening and breeding make sense? Experimental evidence from organic outdoor tomato ... 2nd Conference of the International Society of Organic Agriculture Research ISOFAR, Modena, Italy, June 18-20, 2008. ... 2nd Conference of the International Society of Organic Agriculture Research ISOFAR, Modena, Italy, June 18-20, 2008. ...
biological pest control | Homa Therapy IndiaThe application of Homa Therapy to agriculture is Homa Organic Farming. HOMA Organic Farming is a system of agriculture that ... The answer to our ills is HOMA Organic Farming.. *There is no future now in agriculture without organic farming. But, there is ... What is Homa Organic Farming?. Homa Therapy refers to healing fires of which Agnihotra is the basis. ... Organic Food News. *Is It Time to Reassess Current Safety Standards for Glyphosate-Based Herbicides? ...
Organic Eprints - Items affiliated to " International Conferences | 2008: IFOAM OWC: Research Track / ISOFAR | 3.3 Animal...Proceedings of the 2nd scientific conference of the international society of organic agriculture research (ISOFAR), Livestock, ... 2nd Conference of the International Society of Organic Agriculture Research ISOFAR, Modena, Italy, June 18-20, 2008. ... 2nd Conference of the International Society of Organic Agriculture Research ISOFAR, Modena, Italy, June 18-20, 2008. ... 2nd Conference of the International Society of Organic Agriculture Research ISOFAR, Modena, Italy, June 18-20, 2008. ...
Our Farm AnimalsHidden Villa is a non profit organic farm located in Los Altos Hills, California that offers community programs, educational ... Sustainable Agriculture*Community Supported Agriculture. *Animal Husbandry Program*Our Farm Animals. *Sustainable Farming ...
Organic Eprints - Items in the subject area " Soil"Conference on Organic Agriculture 2014. International research results on organic agriculture from Core Organic II and ... Günter (2006) Balancing soil organic matter in organic agriculture - a theoretical approach. Paper at: Joint Organic Congress, ... The implications of phasing out conventional nutrient supply in organic agriculture: Denmark as a case. Organic Agriculture, 3 ... Günter (2006) Development of a method for balancing soil organic matter in organic agriculture for practical application. ...
The Raw Yogini: Outreach Yoga Challenge - Day 15 Moooooo!The farm was mainly organic spuds and eggs! But the organic farmer also grazed dairy cows for other farmers too, they do exist ... Industrialised agriculture does not provide a healthy life for cows. How then, can their milk or their meat be healthy. This ... I'm drinking a lot of organic almond milk and organic coconut milk lately. I stopped drinking dairy a while ago mainly for ... Alternatives: Remove pasteurised milk from your diet - use good quality organic rice (soy if its organic) almond or coconut ...
Colle Farmers Market Provides Feedback on Cutting Funding for Organic AgricultureIf Congress reinstates an organic farming budget for farmers seeking the USDA organic seal it would be a step toward healthier ... The Colle movement is dedicated to connecting natural product vendors, organic farmers and all people who are living an organic ... Colle believes in the benefits of organic farming and food production, supporting local organic farmers markets, and encourages ... Department of Agriculture's National Organic Certification Cost Share Program in fiscal year 2011. Cost-share, as it's called ...
Mitigating Climate Change through Organic Agriculture... sustainable agriculture that localize food systems has the potential to mitigate nearly thirty percent of global greenhouse gas ... Mitigating Climate Change through Organic Agriculture and Localized Food Systems. Organic, sustainable agriculture that ... Impacts of organic farming on the efficiency of energy use in agriculture. An Organic Center State of Science Review, Organic ... Organic agriculture was more energy efficient than conventional agriculture in apple production systems [9, 10]. Studies in ...
Organic Agriculture: search resultsOrganic Agriculture and Fair Trade in West Africa. Organic agriculture is a production system that sustains the health of soils ... Organic Agriculture Information Access The Organic Agriculture Information Access is a searchable electronic collection of ... The Research Institute of Organic Agriculture (FiBL) The Research Institute of Organic Agriculture (FiBL for its acronym in ... Harmonization and Equivalence in Organic Agriculture Harmonization and Equivalence in Organic Agriculture, Vol. 1, presents the ...
Achieving a Sustainable Food System with Organic Farming | Worldwatch InstituteNew Worldwatch Institute report examines the growth of global organic agricultural practices and their impact on food security ... Definitions vary, but according to the International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements, organic agriculture is a ... Organic agriculture uses up to 50 percent less fossil fuel energy than conventional farming, and common organic practices- ... "Although organic agriculture often produces lower yields on land that has recently been farmed conventionally, it can ...
Organic Eprints - Cultivation and analysis of anthocyanin containing types of potatoes in organic farming regarding...International Society of Organic Agriculture Research (ISOFAR), c/o IOL, DE-Bonn, Research Institute of Organic Agriculture ... held at the 16th IFOAM Organic World Congress in Cooperation with the International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements ... Poster at: Cultivating the Future Based on Science: 2nd Conference of the International Society of Organic Agriculture Research ... Proceedings of the Second Scientific Conference of the International Society of Organic Agriculture Research (ISOFAR), ...
Soilborne Disease Management in Organic Vegetable Production - HighTunnels.orgCrop rotation is the foundation of disease management for many pathosystems and a very important tool in organic agriculture. ... Home → Organic → Organic Insect and Disease Control → Diseases → Soilborne Disease Management in Organic Vegetable Production ... Organic Matter Amendments. The addition of organic matter such as cover crop green manure (single and mixed species), seed ... Further information on organic seed selection can be found in the eOrganic article Sourcing Certified Organic Seed and the ...
Bank Group and SIDA Experts Discuss the Development of Organic Agriculture Programme in Uganda - African Development Bank... organic farmers, and research institutions interested in organic agriculture. ... Bank Group and SIDA Experts Discuss the Development of Organic Agriculture Programme in Uganda. In this section ... Bank Group and SIDA Experts Discuss the Development of Organic Agriculture Programme in Uganda. ... usages in Africa with the majority of farmers practicing de facto organic agriculture without being certified as organic ...
Organic Eprints - The Future of Organic Agriculture: Otopia or Oblivion?Organic agriculture could feed the world, but will it? A state of Otopia, an organic Utopia of 100% organic food and organic ... organic agriculture, organic farming, rate of growth, future, scenario, statistic, goals.. Subjects:. "Organics" in general. ... "Organics" in general , Countries and regions , World. "Organics" in general , History of organics. ... The stated goal of the organic movement is the adoption worldwide of organic agriculture. That task has a long path to travel, ...
Organic Agriculture: Can organic farmers produce enough food for everybody?Organic agriculture and yields. The performance of organic agriculture on production depends on the previous agricultural ... Organic Agriculture and Food Security (IFOAM, 2002); The Solution to Famine in Africa is Organic Farming not GMOs; Organic ... Organic Agriculture and Food Security: A Global and Regional Perspective (DARCOF, 2007); and Can Organic Agriculture Feed the ... Reviews on organic agriculture and food security include: Reducing Food Poverty with Sustainable Agriculture: A Summary of New ...
Organic Agriculture: detailsYear of ...
Organic Agriculture: detailsProceedings of the Conference on Supporting the Diversification of Exports through Organic Horticulture. ...
Organic Agriculture: Related LinksUse this section to find documents related to organic agriculture.. For a detailed search, please use the search box below. For ...
Regenerative Organic Agriculture and Climate Change | Rodale InstituteOrganic Transition Course. Crop Conversion Calculator. Organic System Plan. Organic Price Report ... 47 Responses to "Regenerative Organic Agriculture and Climate Change". * Earl Katz. April 18, 2014. We must do this. ... Regenerative Organic Agriculture and Climate Change. Posted on Thursday, April 17th, 2014 at 1:50 pm.. Posted by Rodale ... Regenerative organic agriculture for soil-carbon sequestration is tried and true: Humans have long farmed in that fashion, and ...
Global 3D CAD IndustryAgriculture * Chemical * Construction & Building * HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Air-Conditioning) * Machine Tools, ...
Oppenheimer Trust Company announces appointment of Hunt Worth as PresidentAgriculture * Chemical * Construction & Building * HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Air-Conditioning) * Machine Tools, ...
FCMTE1 - Anti-FCMTE1 Antibodies, shRNA, siRNA & Gene Information | Sigma-AldrichOrganic & Printed Electronics. *Metal & Ceramic Science. *Micro/Nano Electronics. *Polymer Science. *GREEN ALTERNATIVES » ...
Beyond Pesticides Daily News Blog » Blog Archive New CA Law Protects Farmers from GE Contamination of Crops - Beyond...Agriculture (641) *Hydroponics (4) *►Alternatives/Organics (742) *National Organic Standards Board/National Organic Program (58 ... For more information on GE food issues, see Beyond Pesticides GE Food and Organic Food program pages, as well as past news ... v. Johanns) was brought against U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Forage Genetics and Monsanto entered into the suit as ... The Court determined that the planting of genetically modified alfalfa can result in potentially irreversible harm to organic ...
Organic farming and biodiversity: The effect of organic farming has been a subject of interest for researchers. Theory suggests that organic farming practices, which exclude the use of synthetic pesticides and fertilizers, would be beneficial for biodiversity, and this has proven true.Chilalo Agricultural Development Union: Chilalo Agricultural Development Union (CADU) is the first comprehensive package project established in Arsi Zone, Oromia Region, Ethiopia to modernize traditional subsistence agriculture. The major components of the package programmes include fertilizers, ameliorated seeds, farm credits, marketing facilities, better tools and implements, and improved storage facilities.Foundation Course for Agricultural Research ServicePlant breeders' rights: Plant breeders' rights (PBR), also known as plant variety rights (PVR), are rights granted to the breeder of a new variety of plant that give the breeder exclusive control over the propagating material (including seed, cuttings, divisions, tissue culture) and harvested material (cut flowers, fruit, foliage) of a new variety for a number of years.
(1/36) Screening for endophytic nitrogen-fixing bacteria in Brazilian sugar cane varieties used in organic farming and description of Stenotrophomonas pavanii sp. nov.
(2/36) Pollen-mediated gene flow in flax (Linum usitatissimum L.): can genetically engineered and organic flax coexist?
(3/36) Fruit and soil quality of organic and conventional strawberry agroecosystems.
(4/36) Mineral composition of organically grown wheat genotypes: contribution to daily minerals intake.
(5/36) Organic farming and soil carbon sequestration: what do we really know about the benefits?
Organic farming is believed to improve soil fertility by enhancing soil organic matter (SOM) contents. An important co-benefit would be the sequestration of carbon from atmospheric CO2. Such a positive effect has been suggested based on data from field experiments though many studies were not designed to address the issue of carbon sequestration. The aim of our study was to examine published data in order to identify possible flaws such as missing a proper baseline, carbon mass measurements, or lack of a clear distinction between conventional and organic farming practices, thereby attributing effects of specific practices to organic farming, which are not uniquely organic. A total of 68 data sets were analyzed from 32 peer-reviewed publications aiming to compare conventional with organic farming. The analysis revealed that after conversion, soil C content (SOC) in organic systems increased annually by 2.2% on average, whereas in conventional systems SOC did not change significantly. The majority of publications reported SOC concentrations rather than amounts thus neglecting possible changes in soil bulk density. 34 out of 68 data sets missed a true control with well-defined starting conditions. In 37 out of 50 cases, the amount of organic fertilizer in the organic system exceeded that applied in the compared conventional system, and in half of the cases crop rotations differed between systems. In the few studies where crop rotation and organic fertilization were comparable in both systems no consistent difference in SOC was found. From this data analysis, we conclude that the claim for beneficial effects of organic farming on SOC is premature and that reported advantages of organic farming for SOC are largely determined by higher and often disproportionate application of organic fertilizer compared to conventional farming. (+info)
(6/36) Simple techniques to increase the production yield and enhance the quality of organic rice bran oils.
This study develops simple techniques for increasing production yield and refining of crude RBO (CRBO). It was found that pre-heating of rice bran by hot air oven to reach 60 degrees C before being extracted by screw press machine increased the yield from 4.8 to 8.3%w/w. This paper suggested three simple steps for refining of organic CRBO: (1) filtering using filter papers (2) sedimentation by adding 4%w/v fuller's earth and (3) bleaching by running through a packed column of activated carbon. These steps significantly enhanced the qualities of RBO when compared to CRBO before treatment. It was found that the lightness of oil as indicated by color value (L*) increased from 22.8 to 28.7, gum and wax decreased from 3.6 to 1.3%w/w. However, the simple refining method had no effect on peroxide value and free fatty acid content. Moreover, it slightly induced the loss of oryzanol content from 2.8 to 2.2%w/w. (+info)
(7/36) Functional and structural microbial diversity in organic and conventional viticulture: organic farming benefits natural biocontrol agents.
(8/36) Parasitoid diversity reduces the variability in pest control services across time on farms.
- Poster at: Cultivating the Future Based on Science: 2nd Conference of the International Society of Organic Agriculture Research ISOFAR, Modena, Italy, June 18-20, 2008. (orgprints.org)
- Neuhoff, Daniel (Ed.) Proceedings of the 2nd scientific conference of the international society of organic agriculture research (ISOFAR), Livestock, socio-economic and cross disciplinary research in organic agriculture , ISOFAR, II, pp. 160-163. (orgprints.org)
- What is Homa Organic Farming? (homatherapyindia.com)
- The application of Homa Therapy to agriculture is Homa Organic Farming. (homatherapyindia.com)
- HOMA Organic Farming is a system of agriculture that may be added to any organic farming practices. (homatherapyindia.com)
- These are some of the reasons why several communities started thinking in terms of organic farming and biological pest control. (homatherapyindia.com)
- The answer to our ills is HOMA Organic Farming. (homatherapyindia.com)
- There is no future now in agriculture without organic farming. (homatherapyindia.com)
- But, there is no future in organic farming without Agnihotra and Homa Therapy. (homatherapyindia.com)
- AOFG is a service and development organisation that promotes sustainable agriculture and organic farming in India with a focus on natural resource management, rural economic sustainability, and womens empowerment. (fao.org)
- ATTRA is the US sustainable farming information centre that links people to information and resources on sustainable agriculture including farming news, workshops and courses, and publications on production practices. (fao.org)
- After half a century of high intensive input agriculture, the yield gap between best practices and farmers' fields remains large, agricultural lands continue to shrink and global environmental threats are a reality, e.g. erosion of biodiversity, desertification, climate change and other transboundary pollution. (fao.org)
- This worked for a while but as the pollution content of the atmosphere increased and things got compounded, organic farmers came into terrific difficulties. (homatherapyindia.com)
- Millions of farmers throughout the world cannot or will not asset the "green revolution"approach to agriculture. (fao.org)
- Association Kokopelli is a non-profit organisation devoted to the protection of vegetable and grain biodiversity, the production of organic seeds of heirloom vegetables and grains (planetary collection of 2 500 varieties), and the support of farmers in Africa, Asia and South-America in the development of organic agriculture. (fao.org)
- Certification standards of the California Certified Organic Farmers. (fao.org)
- Organic Agriculture: Can organic farmers produce enough food for everybody? (fao.org)
- In market-marginalized areas, organic farmers can increase food production by managing local resources without having to rely on external inputs or food distribution systems over which they have little control and/or access. (fao.org)
- AOPEB implements ecological and sustainable agriculture for Bolivia. (fao.org)
- This website provides detailed information about the laws governing environmental protection, and sustainable agriculture. (fao.org)
- Agricultura Ecologica offers a variety of on-line courses regarding organic and sustainable agriculture including advanced olive growing, natural pest control, hydroponics, and starting an agro-tourism business. (fao.org)
- It is a network promoting the conservation, production, multiplication and exchange of seeds of traditional varieties of vegetables, pulses, minor cereals and all the plants favouring the development of sustainable agriculture, mostly through projects on the field. (fao.org)
- By stressing diversification and adaptive management, agricultural systems can improve soil and water quality and the ecological services that support agriculture, while significantly decreasing vulnerability to weather vagaries or other factors. (fao.org)
- Organic farms grow a variety of crops and livestock in order to optimize competition for nutrients and space between species: this results in less chance of low production or yield failure in all of these simultaneously. (fao.org)
- Other resources include a list of educational courses by region, a calendar of events, a career service, links to the full text of international and regional laws and regulations governing the production and processing of organic foods as well as hundreds of other links. (fao.org)
- Further information on organic seed selection can be found in the eOrganic article Sourcing Certified Organic Seed and the National Organic Program Regulations . (hightunnels.org)
- Agriculture intensification contributes to over 20 percent of global anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions 1 . (fao.org)
- The 12 percent of global land areas 'fenced' for nature protection are located within or around a 40 percent land surface used by agriculture and forestry. (fao.org)
- Two roads to Otopia are extrapolated from the rate of growth of global organics exhibited over the past decade. (orgprints.org)
- The performance of organic agriculture on production depends on the previous agricultural management system. (fao.org)
- A symbiotic relationship between agriculture and natural landscape exists in the presence of ecologically managed systems. (fao.org)
- AFSIC specialises in locating and accessing information related to alternative cropping systems including sustainable, organic, low-input, biodynamic, and regenerative agriculture. (fao.org)
- In rain-fed systems, organic agriculture has demonstrated to outperform conventional agricultural systems under environmental stress conditions. (fao.org)
- AFSIC is one of several US topic-oriented information centres operated by the US Department of Agriculture through the National Agricultural Library. (fao.org)
- That task has a long path to travel, with organic agriculture currently accounting for 0.8% of agricultural land worldwide. (orgprints.org)
- It is to be noted that although external agricultural inputs can be substituted by organic management of natural resources, land tenure remains a main constraint to the labour investments needed for organic agriculture. (fao.org)
feed the w
- Organic agriculture could feed the world, but will it? (orgprints.org)
- material and empirical experience discussed demonstrate that organic agriculture has the potential to feed the world, under the right circumstances. (fao.org)
- however, there are some seed treatments-such as priming, pelletizing, and the use of National Organic Program (NOP) -compliant protectants-that can be used by organic growers to improve seed performance. (hightunnels.org)
- Experimental evidence from organic outdoor tomato breeding. (orgprints.org)
- The Future of Organic Agriculture: Otopia or Oblivion? (orgprints.org)
- Paull, John (2010) The Future of Organic Agriculture: Otopia or Oblivion? (orgprints.org)
- Australian national standards for organic and biodynamic produce. (fao.org)
- Still, many questions are asked with regards to the ability of organic agriculture to provide food - and many speculations are made, without any comprehensive data basis. (fao.org)
- What can the principles of organic agriculture - with or without certification - contribute to rural development in the tropics and subtropics? (fao.org)
- Under the right circumstances, the market returns from organic agriculture can potentially contribute to local food security by increasing family incomes. (fao.org)
- It can be concluded that increased yields on organic farms are more likely to be achieved if the departure point is a traditional system, even if it is degraded. (fao.org)
- Soilborne pathogens often survive for long periods on host plant debris, soil organic matter, or as free-living organisms. (hightunnels.org)
- Although agriculture remains the world's single largest employer, rural economies suffer from sharp decline in real food prices and loss of entrepreneurial capacity. (fao.org)