Labor Unions: Organizations comprising wage and salary workers in health-related fields for the purpose of improving their status and conditions. The concept includes labor union activities toward providing health services to members.Labor, Obstetric: The repetitive uterine contraction during childbirth which is associated with the progressive dilation of the uterine cervix (CERVIX UTERI). Successful labor results in the expulsion of the FETUS and PLACENTA. Obstetric labor can be spontaneous or induced (LABOR, INDUCED).Labor, Induced: Artificially induced UTERINE CONTRACTION. Generally, LABOR, OBSTETRIC is induced with the intent to cause delivery of the fetus and termination of pregnancy.
Labor Unions -- Automotive NewsCanadian union blasts GM over tweet, Equinox. Oct. 9 President Donald Trump isn't the only one who can take to Twitter and call ... Union workers at a GM plant in Ingersoll, Ont., have ratified a new contract, ending a four-week strike that threatened to ... General Motors is growing frustrated by the impasse in contract talks with Unifor and warned the union it will look to produce ... A key official with Ontario's government has talked with GM and Unifor officials as the union's strike against the automaker at ...
LiveLeak.com - Labor Unions: What would Milton Friedman Say?Tags: Milton Friedman, Labor Unions, taxpayers Views: 5407 , Comments: 11 , Votes: 0 , Favorites: 0 , Shared: 5 , Updates: 0 , ... According to the unions of Wisconsin and other states, the price of your labor should be determined by a mixture of political ... The New South was not built on union labor. But I also make ... Friedman says unions operate at the expense of competing ... Elsewhere, I write about how the market determines the price of labor. How should it be determined in the public sector?. ...
What Are Labor Unions - ACCELACOMMHere are the pros and cons and types of labor unions. ... Labor Unions are often at the forefront of political debate and ... Categories Business, Politics, UnionsTags Business, Craft, Craft Unions, Labor, Labor Unions, Politics, Union Politics, Unions ... What Are Labor Unions. Unions Explained, the Pros and Cons. There are a lot of misconception surrounding unions. Politicians ... Unions; the Cons. Unions can end up causing adverse affects not only to businesses but also those in the union. Large unions ...
San Francisco Bay View » prisoner labor unionPosts Tagged with 'prisoner labor union'. End prison slavery in Texas now! Part II: Class consciousness and international ... prisoner labor union • Professor Alondra Nelson • Professor Victor Wallis Ph.D. • proletariat • Quanell X • Revolutionary ...
Two labor unions end partnership with Harley-Davidson - Channel NewsAsiaTwo labor unions end partnership with Harley-Davidson. Two labor unions ended a two-decade long partnership agreement with ... REUTERS: Two labor unions ended a two-decade long partnership agreement with Harley-Davidson Inc on Tuesday, citing issues with ... Union leaders belonging to the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) and the United Steelworkers ... Chief Executive Matt Levatich agreed to work with the unions to resolve staffing issues raised on behalf of full-time workers, ...
Bill targets state health care costs | The OlympianLabor unions are once again targeting large businesses that have workers on government health care programs, but opponents and ... Labor unions are once again targeting large businesses that have workers on government health care programs, but opponents and ... Union leaders say they're hoping the companion House and Senate bills could figure into the legislative session's health care ... That bill was aimed squarely at Wal-Mart, part of a push by organized labor in more than 30 states to force minimum health-care ...
Economist's View: 'U.S. Labor Unions: Fewer and Bigger'U.S. Labor Unions: Fewer and Bigger, by Tim Taylor: John Pencavel offers an angle on the evolution of American unions that I ... U.S. Labor Unions: Fewer and Bigger, by Tim Taylor: John Pencavel offers an angle on the evolution of American unions that I ... A] union movement concentrated in a smaller number of large unions implies a union movement in which much of its wealth is ... A] union movement concentrated in a smaller number of large unions implies a union movement in which much of its wealth is ...
EcoWaste Coalition: 2017Gerard Seno, Associated Labor Unions - TUCP. Michael Mendoza, Associated Labor Unions - TUCP. Doy Medes, Bahayang Pag-asa - ... As discussed by Brenalyn Peji, Director of the Institute for Labor Studies of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), R. ... Associated Labor Unions, Bangon Kalikasan Movement, Bukluran ng Manggagawang Pilipino, Cavite Green Coalition, Center for ... Raymond Mendoza, Trade Union Congress of the Philippines. Jose Angelito Palma, World Wide Fund for Nature Philippines. ...
Monetary Institutions, Monopolistic Competition, Unionized Labor Markets and Economic PerformanceWe find that: (i) the effect of conservativeness on employment depends on unions' relative aversion to unemployment versus ... inflation, and (ii) for plausible values of this relative aversion (and more than one union), social welfare is maximized under ... Recent literature on the interactions between labor unions and monetary institutions features either a supply or a demand ... J50 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining - - - General ...
2006 Colorado Labor Unions Key Votes - The Voter's Self Defense System - Vote SmartVote Smart provides free, unbiased, in-depth information about current officials, candidates, issues, legislation, and voting. Non-partisan and nonprofit since 1988.
Labor Unions | Just Foreign PolicyHome » Labor Unions. Labor Unions. Will House Dems Oppose a Jobless War Supplemental?. Submitted by Robert Naiman on 23 July ... Labor unions had strongly backed the House Democratic effort to attach money to the supplemental to boost employment and avoid ... Will these unions now urge House Democrats to vote no on any jobless war supplemental? ... even though under Illinois labor law the GEO is the recognized bargaining agent for graduate employees. ...
DMOZ - Health: Public Health and Safety: Emergency Services: Organizations: Labor UnionsAny organization which is involved in Emergency Services labor - management negotiations. ... This category lists labor organizations, both national organizations and local chapters. ... This category lists labor organizations, both national organizations and local chapters. Any organization which is involved in ...
Labor Unions | Features | North Bay BohemianThe National Labor Relations Board, founded to help unions get certified, has served in recent years mainly to block them. When ... Over the long run, Republicans show their class colors when it comes to unions. But labor needs more than to cry foul against ... Especially because the AFL-CIO was hotter to subsidize anti-Communist unions in South America than in North Carolina, labor ... Big labor is putting the move back in the labor movement. By Todd Gitlin. THURSDAY NIGHT and Friday, Oct. 3 and 4, something ...
Lorain County labor unions group sponsors candidates nightFourteen Lorain County candidates congregated at Lorain County Community College April 30 for the Lorain County Organized Labor ... Union s first annual Meet the Candidates event.Sponsored by the Lorain UAW and AFL-CIO, the event is union-spon ... co-president of the Lorain County Organized Labor Union.. Harry Williamson, also president of the Lorain County Organized Labor ... received a standing ovation after he spoke on the importance of unions, which he said he was raised to support.. Unions have ...
Labor Has Pains In Learning Landlording | Observer... labor union representatives were shuttling from Brooklyn to Manhattan to Washington, D.C., trying to put together a last-minute ... "Organized labor's involvement in development marks a very important turning point.". It is also clear that the labor council ... The union bid, had it beat out the $5.4 billion winning offer by Tishman Speyer and partners, would still have led to a large ... Labor Has Pains In Learning Landlording. By Matthew Schuerman • 09/25/07 11:33pm * ...
Union members laboring for disaster victimsThis week is Labor Day week. Labor Day became a national holiday in 1894, and before that had been unofficially celebrated for ... It has been unions who have fought against racial, gender and class injustice. It has been unions who have fought for the ... It is unions who have consistently pushed back against the exploitation of those who are vulnerable, and unions who, brick by ... And one of the main reasons it has become ingrained is because of unions. Unions have taught us to stand together, shoulder to ...
Paper local - WikipediaUnion democracy and fraud. Paper locals have sometimes been established by labor union leaders in efforts to fraudulently ... The use of paper locals may still be a problem for American labor unions. The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) has ... Journal of Labor Research. 26:1 (December 2005); Jacobs, James B. Mobsters, Unions, and Feds: The Mafia and the American Labor ... "Union Curbs Foreseen". New York Times. May 13, 1957; "M'Clellan Sees Stiff Labor Law". New York Times. May 18, 1957; Loftus, ...
Samsung partners settle with labor union... reached an agreement Saturday on new labor rules with their employers, most of which are partner firms of Samsung's after-sales ... A union of contract workers for Samsung Electronics Service, the after-sales service company for Samsung Electronics, ... the labor union agreed with the firms to settle a string of labor issues, such as the adoption of a monthly salary instead of ... A series of union strikes began in July 2013 after some of the union members died by suicide, which was blamed on poor working ...
Slow-Motion Revolution | Worldwatch InstituteFrom faith communities to labor unions, from government leaders to business executives, people on every continent and from all ...
The Day - McMahons will also repay debt to labor unions - News from southeastern ConnecticutSenate candidate Linda McMahon and her husband will repay with interest their 1970s debt claims from Connecticut labor unions, ... McMahons will also repay debt to labor unions. Published September 21. 2012 7:00PM , Updated September 22. 2012 12:57PM ... Senate candidate Linda McMahon and her husband will repay with interest their 1970s debt claims from Connecticut labor unions, ... The three union funds on the creditor list are the Connecticut State Building Trades Hospitalization & Insurance Fund (owed $ ...
Jurisdiction - 'Rooker-Feldman' doctrine - Immunity - Massachusetts Lawyers WeeklyDepartment of Correction employees who are members of a labor union and subject to a collective bargaining agreement, sued ... Where the plaintiffs, Department of Correction employees who are members of a labor union and subject to a collective ...
Labor unions and communism | Harper's MagazineHarper's Magazine, the oldest general-interest monthly in America, explores the issues that drive our national conversation, through long-form narrative journalism and essays, and such celebrated features as the iconic Harper's Index.
Support for health and safety training for vulnerable and hard-to-reach workers: OSHA awards 2010 Susan Harwood Grants - The...OSHA will give the money to the Unions and Labor Activists as payback for votes. Considering that only 15% of the labor force ... Recipients include community groups, labor unions, colleges, and employer associations. The 2010 grants differ from previous ... â ¢United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, to provide training to employers and high-risk union workers in the ... How about the 85% that does not belong to a Union.. It is good to see that they are trying to get organziations to develop and ...
Mailbag: Stop attacking the labor unions - Daily Press29): An odd incident that may or may not have any connection whatsoever to any labor union is being hyped to promote an ... Commentary: Tactics from the union playbook stay the same,' (Aug. ... Today, less than one-tenth of all labor is union labor, and the attendant is a vanishing middle class. Yet labor unions have ... does it justify vilifying all labor unions and the entire union movement? ...
Global 3D CAD IndustryLabor & Union * Legal Issues * Not For Profit * Patent Law * Public Safety * Trade Policy ...
Federated Rubber and Allied Workers' Union of Australia: The Federated Rubber and Allied Workers' Union of Australia was an Australian trade union which existed between 1909 and 1988. The union represented workers employed in manufacturing rubber, plastic, cable, adhesive and abrasive products in Australia.Nordli's Cabinet: Nordli's Cabinet governed Norway between 15 January 1976 and 4 February 1981. The Labour Party cabinet was led by Odvar Nordli.Labor induction
(1/78) Local labor unions' positions on worksite tobacco control.
OBJECTIVES: This report describes local unions' positions on tobacco control initiatives and factors related to these positions. METHODS: A national random sample of local union leaders was surveyed by telephone. RESULTS: Forty-eight percent of local unions supported worksite smoking bans or restrictions, and only 8% opposed both a ban and a restriction. CONCLUSIONS: Support for tobacco control initiatives among local unions was higher than might be expected on the basis of previous evidence. Engaging unions in smoking policy formation is likely to contribute to the larger public health goal of reducing smoking and exposure to second-hand smoke among workers. (+info)
(2/78) Coverage of smoking cessation treatment by union health and welfare funds.
OBJECTIVES: This study determined the level of insurance coverage for smoking cessation treatment and factors associated with coverage among health and welfare funds affiliated with a large labor union. METHODS: A self-administered written survey was mailed to fund and union officials. Analyses were conducted by chi2 tests. RESULTS: Twenty-nine percent of funds provided coverage for some type of smoking cessation treatment, with the odds of coverage significantly increased among funds whose administrators reported having received members' requests for smoking cessation treatment in the past year (odds ratio = 4.9, P = .05). CONCLUSIONS: Coverage for smoking cessation services is low, comparable to coverage offered by other health insurers. Interventions with union members and fund officials are needed to provide union members with access to affordable and effective smoking cessation treatments. (+info)
(3/78) Occupational risks in Latin America and the Caribbean: economic and health dimensions.
This study analyzes health and economic aspects of occupational safety in Latin America and the Caribbean. Work-related injuries and illnesses represent a primary health risk in the region. Specific factors negatively affect work safety in the region: the structure of the labour market, the lack of adequate resources for enforcement, prevention and research, the hazard profile, as well as the presence of vulnerable groups in the workforce. This study estimates that between 27,270 and 73,500 occupational fatal accidents occur in the region each year. It also calculates that the economic costs of these hazards represent between 2 and 4% of regional Gross Domestic Product. The paper concludes by discussing public policies that could address this problem and improve compliance with appropriate safety standards in the region. (+info)
(4/78) The benefits divide: health care purchasing in retail versus other sectors.
This paper is the first to compare health care purchasing in the retail versus other sectors of the Fortune 500. Employing millions of low-wage workers, the retail sector is the largest employer of uninsured workers in the economy. We found that retail companies are using the same competitive bidding process that other companies use to obtain a given level of coverage for the lowest possible cost. However, they are more price oriented than other Fortune 500 companies are. The most striking disparity lies in the nearly fivefold difference in offer rates for health care coverage. This shows that the economy's bifurcation in health benefits extends even to the nation's largest companies. (+info)
(5/78) Policy without politics: the limits of social engineering.
The extent of coverage provided by a country's health services is directly related to the level of development of that country's democratic process (and its power relations). The United States is the only developed country whose government does not guarantee access to health care for its citizens. It is also the developed country with the least representative and most insufficient democratic institutions, owing to the constitutional framework of the political system, the privatization of the electoral process, and the enormous power of corporate interests in both the media and the political process. As international experience shows, without a strong labor-based movement willing to be radical in its protests, a universal health care program will never be accepted by the US establishment. (+info)
(6/78) Health care reform and social movements in the United States.
Because of the importance of grassroots social movements, or "change from below," in the history of US reform, the relationship between social movements and demands for universal health care is a critical one. National health reform campaigns in the 20th century were initiated and run by elites more concerned with defending against attacks from interest groups than with popular mobilization, and grassroots reformers in the labor, civil rights, feminist, and AIDS activist movements have concentrated more on immediate and incremental changes than on transforming the health care system itself. However, grassroots health care demands have also contained the seeds of a wider critique of the American health care system, leading some movements to adopt calls for universal coverage. (+info)
(7/78) Labor rekindles reform.
The health care crisis is back. There is intensifying sentiment across the country that universal coverage is our only way out. The labor movement has used historically such opportunities for change to win health benefits at the bargaining table and strengthen the social safety net. Eighty years of incremental victories and many failed attempts at major health reform have taught labor a crucial lesson: we must build a powerful grassroots movement to drive our effort to achieve universal coverage, or it is doomed to be corrupted by those wedded to the status quo. Now is the right time for reform. (+info)
(8/78) The role of public employers in a changing health care market.
Public employers provide health insurance coverage to nearly 16 percent of all U.S. workers. Their reactions to rapidly rising premiums can have an important effect on local markets for health insurance because of their size, their visibility, and their reflection of public policy. However, public employers are constrained in their responses by tight budgets set by elected officials and statutes regarding due process, public input, and public accountability. As insurance markets consolidate and premiums continue to increase, public employers face tough choices regarding employee benefits. (+info)
- Large unions are often of the most concern to businesses. (accelacomm.com)
- Large unions, typically industrial unions, have an extraordinary amount influence on a business. (accelacomm.com)
- When large unions abuse their power, it can lead to higher wages, however, this could mean lower profits for the business. (accelacomm.com)
- In other words, union members are much more likely to belong to a very large unions now than a few decades ago. (typepad.com)
- A] union movement concentrated in a smaller number of large unions implies a union movement in which much of its wealth is allocated by a smaller number of decision-makers. (typepad.com)
- The central question about large public sector unions, of course, is whether in their ability to act as an powerful interested group that influences the results of state and local elections and then to have their conditions of employment determined in negotiations with officials of those same state and local governments, they have exploited the freedom of association in a way that creates what Pencavel calls a 'mischievous organization. (typepad.com)
- Any organization which is involved in Emergency Services labor - management negotiations. (dmoztools.net)
- Strikes have become, usually, losing propositions while company anti-union campaigns get bigger and smarter. (bohemian.com)
- The main concern with unions is that unionized labor will lead to an increase in costs and therefore, reduced revenue and profitability. (accelacomm.com)
- A serious concern is that a more concentrated union movement dominated by public sector unions may politicize unionism: That is, the focus of union activity will be less on attending to grievances and to the conditions of members at their place of work and more on issues that are the province of politics. (typepad.com)
- Still, millions of Americans belong to a trade union. (accelacomm.com)
- Union workers at a GM plant in Ingersoll, Ont. (autonews.com)
- General Motors is growing frustrated by the impasse in contract talks with Unifor and warned the union it will look to produce the Chevrolet Equinox elsewhere unless workers call off a month-long strike at the plant in Ingersoll, Ont. (autonews.com)
- Friedman says unions operate at the expense of competing workers and consumers. (liveleak.com)
- Craft unions consist of workers who specialize in a skill and profession. (accelacomm.com)
- Industrial unions consist of all workers that are in the same trade or work for the same employer. (accelacomm.com)
- Unions have both helped workers and organizations while they've also done more harm than good. (accelacomm.com)
- When workers unionize, they can choose to strike or restrict the availability of labor until their employer meets their demands. (accelacomm.com)
- Though unions will often get workers higher wages, the higher wages have effects on businesses. (accelacomm.com)
- Union leaders belonging to the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) and the United Steelworkers (USW) said they were concerned with the way Harley's management was handling staffing related to seasonal production. (channelnewsasia.com)
- Chief Executive Matt Levatich agreed to work with the unions to resolve staffing issues raised on behalf of full-time workers, USW said in a release. (channelnewsasia.com)
- As NYU journalism chairman William Serrin reminds us, 50 years ago the CIO put together Operation Dixie to organize Southern workers, and in 1955, the merged labor federation swore it would organize 15 million workers, both times to little avail. (bohemian.com)
- Less than 20 years ago, in 1977, almost one quarter of American workers belonged to unions. (bohemian.com)
- A union of contract workers for Samsung Electronics Service, the after-sales service company for Samsung Electronics, reached an agreement Saturday on new labor rules with their employers, most of which are partner firms of Samsung's after-sales service provider, ending a yearlong period of industrial action. (koreaherald.com)
- The companies agreed to pay the workers a basic monthly salary of 1.2 million won ($1,183) with bonuses based on performance, grant up to six unionists paid time off for union duties for up to 9,000 hours per year as provided for in the labor laws, and allow three executives of the union to take unpaid leave. (koreaherald.com)
- A series of union strikes began in July 2013 after some of the union members died by suicide, which was blamed on poor working conditions and financial difficulties. (koreaherald.com)
- They are actually putting up money, $20 million of it, where their rhetoric is, training organizers to organize unions. (bohemian.com)
- Labor needs to be able to organize and protect itself, Mackin said. (morningjournal.com)
- Craft unions are typically independent of a particular organization or employer. (accelacomm.com)
- But even though access to a tuition waiver is a basic condition of employment, since without also being students graduate employees would lose their jobs, the University of Illinois administration refuses to bargain the issue with the members of the Graduate Employees Organization, a local of the American Federation of Teachers, even though under Illinois labor law the GEO is the recognized bargaining agent for graduate employees. (justforeignpolicy.org)
- Intellectuals of the left, in cahoots with the AFL-CIO leadership, summon one and all to gather at Columbia University in what is billed as a "teach-in with the labor movement. (bohemian.com)
- Even if one were to accept, however ludicrous the accusation, that this was some kind of stunt (no crime has been alleged, as yet) being pulled off by the Costa Mesa Police Assn., does it justify vilifying all labor unions and the entire union movement? (dailypress.com)
- Politicians love to talk about unions, most showing support on the campaign trail. (accelacomm.com)
- The last is one area where the unions could use public support. (bohemian.com)
- Ramos, who is seeking a third term as representative for the 56th District, received a standing ovation after he spoke on the importance of unions, which he said he was raised to support. (morningjournal.com)
- Pencavel has a nice summary of this work in 'Public-Sector Unions and the Changing Structure of U.S. Unionism ,' written as a 'Policy Brief' for the Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research . (typepad.com)
- However, by 2007, most of the biggest unions were public-sector union. (typepad.com)
- Unions are a complex issue. (accelacomm.com)
- Some market watchers, however, criticized Samsung Electronics Service for trying to distance itself from the disputes by trying to limit the issue to one between its partner firms and unions. (koreaherald.com)
- back in 1974, most of the biggest unions--except for the National Education Association--were private-sector unions. (typepad.com)
- Under the rubric of Union Summer, with intended echoes of Mississippi 1964, some 1,000 young people, including a contingent of Santa Rosa Junior College students, took the summer off to set up at factories and offices, doing the hard work of campaigning to make it possible for unions to compete in fair elections. (bohemian.com)
- Often times, in industrial unions , all employees at a certain company are required to join a union. (accelacomm.com)
- McMahon's campaign spokesman, Todd Abrajano, said late Friday that union funds listed among the couple's creditors will be paid on Monday at four times the initial amount. (theday.com)
- Unions have always been involved in politics so this would be a change of degree, not of kind, but it is an important change because, ultimately, more politicized unionism will not help the typical union worker. (typepad.com)
- But labor needs more than to cry foul against pro-business media and politics. (bohemian.com)
- Some politicians are vocally opposed to unions noting the adverse affects a union might have on a business or the economy. (accelacomm.com)
- For almost a century, unions have been a major part of business in the United States. (accelacomm.com)
- It's been less than a year since American labor decided to take the cure, with, of all things, a contested election. (bohemian.com)
- Two labor unions ended a two-decade long partnership agreement with Harley-Davidson Inc on Tuesday, citing issues with senior management. (channelnewsasia.com)
- After holding a vote with its 1,500 members that day, most of whom are hired via Samsung's partner companies, the labor union agreed with the firms to settle a string of labor issues, such as the adoption of a monthly salary instead of piecework and supportive measures for union activities. (koreaherald.com)
- Despite occasional moves, such as, most recently, the minimum wage boost, Bill Clinton, who governed one of the decidedly less unionized states in the country, has never had much time for labor. (bohemian.com)
- Today, less than one-tenth of all labor is union labor, and the attendant is a vanishing middle class. (dailypress.com)
- The National Labor Relations Board, founded to help unions get certified, has served in recent years mainly to block them. (bohemian.com)
- Unfettered capital with fealty to none and easily portable across national boundaries needs the counterweight of organized labor for a free market and a free nation to thrive. (dailypress.com)
- John Pencavel offers an angle on the evolution of American unions that I haven't seen recently by looking at the number of unions and their size. (typepad.com)
- Short story: the number of American unions has declined, but the biggest unions have many more members than their precedessors. (typepad.com)
- Our economy thrived in the 1950s, '60s and '70s, driven by the purchasing power of a strong middle class, when one-third of all labor was union labor. (dailypress.com)
- Unions have always and will always be the defender of the middle class in Lorain County, Ramos said. (morningjournal.com)
- The New South was not built on union labor. (liveleak.com)
- conversely, unions with fewer than 1 million total members had 6.8 million fewer total members in 2007 than in 1974. (typepad.com)
- With indignant yelps from the likes of Trent Lott about "big labor," you'd think the mobsters of yesteryear had come back from their cement bathing suits. (bohemian.com)
- This category lists labor organizations, both national organizations and local chapters. (dmoztools.net)
- Sponsored by the Lorain UAW and AFL-CIO, the event is union-sponsored, not tied to a particular political party, said Jim Sloan, co-president of the Lorain County Organized Labor Union. (morningjournal.com)
- Lundy emphasized his priority to stand for labor while retaining relationships among community officials. (morningjournal.com)
- While some would argue that unions are so lean because they're not mean--that is, militant enough--a more likely explanation is that the game is rigged against them. (bohemian.com)
- Over the long run, Republicans show their class colors when it comes to unions. (bohemian.com)