Government Programs: Programs and activities sponsored or administered by local, state, or national governments.Government: The complex of political institutions, laws, and customs through which the function of governing is carried out in a specific political unit.Program Evaluation: Studies designed to assess the efficacy of programs. They may include the evaluation of cost-effectiveness, the extent to which objectives are met, or impact.Financing, Government: Federal, state, or local government organized methods of financial assistance.Federal Government: The level of governmental organization and function at the national or country-wide level.Local Government: Smallest political subdivisions within a country at which general governmental functions are carried-out.Program Development: The process of formulating, improving, and expanding educational, managerial, or service-oriented work plans (excluding computer program development).Government Agencies: Administrative units of government responsible for policy making and management of governmental activities.Government Regulation: Exercise of governmental authority to control conduct.National Health Programs: Components of a national health care system which administer specific services, e.g., national health insurance.State Government: The level of governmental organization and function below that of the national or country-wide government.United StatesHealth Policy: Decisions, usually developed by government policymakers, for determining present and future objectives pertaining to the health care system.Politics: Activities concerned with governmental policies, functions, etc.Health Promotion: Encouraging consumer behaviors most likely to optimize health potentials (physical and psychosocial) through health information, preventive programs, and access to medical care.Public Policy: A course or method of action selected, usually by a government, from among alternatives to guide and determine present and future decisions.Private Sector: That distinct portion of the institutional, industrial, or economic structure of a country that is controlled or owned by non-governmental, private interests.Health Education: Education that increases the awareness and favorably influences the attitudes and knowledge relating to the improvement of health on a personal or community basis.Public Health: Branch of medicine concerned with the prevention and control of disease and disability, and the promotion of physical and mental health of the population on the international, national, state, or municipal level.United States Government Agencies: Agencies of the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT of the United States.Organizations: Administration and functional structures for the purpose of collectively systematizing activities for a particular goal.Community Health Services: Diagnostic, therapeutic and preventive health services provided for individuals in the community.Developing Countries: Countries in the process of change with economic growth, that is, an increase in production, per capita consumption, and income. The process of economic growth involves better utilization of natural and human resources, which results in a change in the social, political, and economic structures.Health Care Reform: Innovation and improvement of the health care system by reappraisal, amendment of services, and removal of faults and abuses in providing and distributing health services to patients. It includes a re-alignment of health services and health insurance to maximum demographic elements (the unemployed, indigent, uninsured, elderly, inner cities, rural areas) with reference to coverage, hospitalization, pricing and cost containment, insurers' and employers' costs, pre-existing medical conditions, prescribed drugs, equipment, and services.Managed Care Programs: Health insurance plans intended to reduce unnecessary health care costs through a variety of mechanisms, including: economic incentives for physicians and patients to select less costly forms of care; programs for reviewing the medical necessity of specific services; increased beneficiary cost sharing; controls on inpatient admissions and lengths of stay; the establishment of cost-sharing incentives for outpatient surgery; selective contracting with health care providers; and the intensive management of high-cost health care cases. The programs may be provided in a variety of settings, such as HEALTH MAINTENANCE ORGANIZATIONS and PREFERRED PROVIDER ORGANIZATIONS.Immunization Programs: Organized services to administer immunization procedures in the prevention of various diseases. The programs are made available over a wide range of sites: schools, hospitals, public health agencies, voluntary health agencies, etc. They are administered to an equally wide range of population groups or on various administrative levels: community, municipal, state, national, international.Delivery of Health Care: The concept concerned with all aspects of providing and distributing health services to a patient population.Questionnaires: Predetermined sets of questions used to collect data - clinical data, social status, occupational group, etc. The term is often applied to a self-completed survey instrument.Public Sector: The area of a nation's economy that is tax-supported and under government control.IndiaPolicy Making: The decision process by which individuals, groups or institutions establish policies pertaining to plans, programs or procedures.Health Services Accessibility: The degree to which individuals are inhibited or facilitated in their ability to gain entry to and to receive care and services from the health care system. Factors influencing this ability include geographic, architectural, transportational, and financial considerations, among others.International Cooperation: The interaction of persons or groups of persons representing various nations in the pursuit of a common goal or interest.Interinstitutional Relations: The interactions between representatives of institutions, agencies, or organizations.Health Knowledge, Attitudes, Practice: Knowledge, attitudes, and associated behaviors which pertain to health-related topics such as PATHOLOGIC PROCESSES or diseases, their prevention, and treatment. This term refers to non-health workers and health workers (HEALTH PERSONNEL).History, 20th Century: Time period from 1901 through 2000 of the common era.Public Health Administration: Management of public health organizations or agencies.Data Collection: Systematic gathering of data for a particular purpose from various sources, including questionnaires, interviews, observation, existing records, and electronic devices. The process is usually preliminary to statistical analysis of the data.Public Opinion: The attitude of a significant portion of a population toward any given proposition, based upon a measurable amount of factual evidence, and involving some degree of reflection, analysis, and reasoning.Rural Health Services: Health services, public or private, in rural areas. The services include the promotion of health and the delivery of health care.
Economist's View: Wanted: Independent Evaluations of Government ProgramsEduardo Porter had a good piece in the NYT pointing out the importance of having independent evaluations of government programs ... Wanted: Independent Evaluations of Government Programs. In case you are feeling Moody:. Timothy Geithner and the Auditors, by ... Eduardo Porter had a good piece in the NYT pointing out the importance of having independent evaluations of government programs ... Eduardo Porter had a good piece in the NYT pointing out the importance of having independent evaluations of government programs ...
OPM: Partnership Consumer Government ProgramsMedicare.gov', U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 1-800-MEDICARE.Medicare is the federal health insurance program ... Government Program Limits & Eligibilityfor Medicare, Medicaid and TaxesMedicare Medicaid Taxes Medicare Limits for Long-Term ... Government Program Limits & EligibilityMedicaid Limits for Long-Term Care ... ... Visit www.medicare.gov for additional information on Medicare. Medicare Eligibility in a Skilled Nursing Facility:(All five ...
Intellectually disabled struggling to find work | Deseret News... despite changing attitudes and billions spent on government programs to help them. Even when they find work, it's often part ... despite changing attitudes and billions spent on government programs to help them. Even when they find work, it's often part ... despite changing attitudes and billions spent on government programs to help them. Even when they find work, it's often part ... There are now more programs to help disabled children to gain work experience while still in school, making it easier to find a ...
Just How Effective Are Government Programs At Reducing The Poverty Rate? | Care2 CausesWere it not for government programs that provide assistance to low-income Americans, the poverty rate in the United States ... Where does government get it's money. More people are poor and dependent on government as a result of government not a lack of. ... issues and shrinking government and the absurd assumption that government programs create dependency on the government. Here's ... Just How Effective Are Government Programs at Reducing the Poverty Rate?. tweet email ...
Women reject government programs to 'save' them... Members of star trio write they 'do not even want that sort of assistance'. ... Such men desire want independence, not government hand-holding, she said.. In the government's eyes, "We have been reduced to ... by the domination of a federal government that wants to control men and "save" women with programs such as a "Fluked-up, ... Only 13 percent want more government involvement.. *Women want men who aren't afraid to let them think for themselves, and ...
Taxpayers help to fund government programs | PennLive.comSmith thanks the government for giving him the wherewithal to improve his life. Not once does he mention where all this money ... They think it is their right to be taken care of by the government. We have many charities in this country, including ... I would rather donate money personally to these charities than have a government agency decide how my money is used. No one ... Smith thanks the government for giving him the wherewithal to improve his life. Not once does he mention where all this money ...
Labor Market Shocks and Retirement: Do Government Programs Matter?Labor Market Shocks and Retirement: Do Government Programs Matter?. Courtney C. Coile, Phillip B. Levine. NBER Working Paper No ... "Labor Market Shocks and Retirement: Do Government Programs Matter?" Journal of Public Economics 91(10):1902-1919, November 2007 ... NBER Program(s): AG LS This paper examines how unemployment affects retirement and whether the Unemployment Insurance (UI) ... Research Programs. Working Groups. Research Disclosure Policy. Employment and Fellowships. Sitemap. Links to other Resources. ...
WND » Women reject government programs to 'save' them » PrintWomen reject government programs to 'save' them Posted By -NO AUTHOR-. On 09/01/2014 @ 6:50 pm In Front Page,Politics,U.S. , No ... Such men desire want independence, not government hand-holding, she said.. In the government's eyes, "We have been reduced to ... by the domination of a federal government that wants to control men and "save" women with programs such as a "Fluked-up, ... Only 13 percent want more government involvement.. *Women want men who aren't afraid to let them think for themselves, and ...
Government programs news and stories by mail.comGov. Walker wants Wisconsin to drug test Medicaid applicants. Gov. Scott Walker wants to make Wisconsin the first state in the ... A longshot California proposal to replace insurance companies with government-funded health care for all of the state's ... ... A Washington consultant, three hedge fund workers and a government employee were blamed Wednesday by federal prosecutors for ... Officials said Tuesday the government is on track to meet a 2019 deadline ... ...
Few Americans support cuts to most government programs | Pew Research CenterPresident Donald Trump's first budget request to Congress would make deep cuts to government programs, including Medicaid, the ... Few Americans support cuts to most government programs, including Medicaid. By John Gramlich ... said they would rather have a bigger government providing more services, while 45% preferred a smaller government providing ... About two-in-ten adults (21%) said they favored reducing federal funding for the program, including 10% who held that view ...
Government programs cannot replace private charity, Pope says : News Headlines | Catholic CultureGovernment programs can never replace private charity, Pope Benedict XVI said at an audience on March 6. The Holy Father met on ...
Government programs & regulations, spending, deficit, and budget processOne such program is Job Corps, a job-training program for disadvantaged youth. The federal government spends about $1.5 billion ... Given the program's poor performance and President Obama's call for 'the elimination of dozens of government programs shown to ... A government-run, one-size-fits-all program is not the answer, he said.. But some lawmakers have no sympathy for an industry ... And she noted that in the past, the government has found more money for the program when it needed more, such as following the ...
Federal Government Transportation Programs, Augusta, GA - MapQuestFind the best Federal Government Transportation Programs, Augusta, GA around and get detailed driving directions with road ...
https://mapquest.com/search/results?query=Federal Government Transportation Programs, Augusta, GA
Military/Government Purchase Program - Shopping Agreement - AppleThe Military/Government & Veterans Purchase Program ('Program') is a benefit provided by Apple Inc. ("Apple") to current and ... The program is also offered to all veterans and their family members. The Program is intended for personal use. ... Under this Program, Apple sells and ships products to end user customers only. You may not purchase for resale. Apple reserves ... Please make sure your browser is set to accept cookies, otherwise you won't be able to visit the Apple Military/Government & ...
Federal Register :: Small Business Government Contracting ProgramsPART 125-GOVERNMENT CONTRACTING PROGRAMS End Part Start Amendment Part. 1. The authority citation for ... https://www.federalregister.gov/d/03-26514 https://www.federalregister.gov/d/03-26514 * Email this document to a friend ... They recommended that SBA adopt a single government-wide threshold that would apply to all agencies equally. One of these two ... SBA therefore declines to adopt the recommendations for a single government-wide threshold to trigger bundling reviews and the ...
Government Finance Programs | Zions BankLearn about international finance programs available from US government agencies, including The Export-Import Bank of the ... The U.S. Government, in its efforts to maintain a competitive position for the U.S.A. in global commerce, is actively ... Several U.S. Government agencies and multilateral development organizations, mostly based in Washington, D.C., provide ... The Export-Import Bank of the United States (EXIM) is an independent U.S. government agency chartered by Congress to facilitate ...
Google Answers: Volunteer Programs - Gov't SponsoredSubject: Volunteer Programs - Gov't Sponsored Category: Relationships and Society , Government Asked by: gparnami-ga List Price ... Likely, they may be programs similar to Peace Corps, however, I need to make sure that the organizations are actually sponsored ... I am looking for international volunteer programs that are sponsored by foreign (non-US) countries. ...
courts.IN.gov: ADR Program BasicsFor more information on ADR programs, contact Michael Commons at 317.233.1579 or firstname.lastname@example.org. ... ADR Program Basics. The Indiana General Assembly passed House Enrolled Act 1034 in 2003, authorizing for the first time the ... Some of the benefits of the ADR programs are: *they provide an opportunity for litigants involved in divorce and paternity ... Counties wishing to participate in an ADR program must develop an ADR plan that is consistent with the statute and that is ...
Organizations: : W: Welfare Programs - healthfinder.govA Federal Government website managed by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services healthfinder.gov is sponsored by the ...
Our Programs - TN.GovOPTIONS for Community Living is a state-funded program. The program was created to provide the elderly, as well as adults with ... Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program. This program provides free assistance to elderly Tennesseans residing in nursing homes, homes ... Our Programs. The Commission is dedicated to working for older Tennesseans and adults with disabilities by providing leadership ... State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP). Medicare is complicated. If you need help trying to figure it out, there is ...
Food Assistance/Food Bank Programs - healthfinder.govFood Stamps And Other Nutrition Programs Federal, state and local governments provide many programs designed to help meet the ... including the National School Lunch Program, School Breakfast Program, Special Milk Program, and Summer Food Service Program. ... Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Find a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (former Food Stamp Program) ... Programs include Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly the Food Stamp Program, and the Special ...
Book meeting-event-space high-speed-internet Hotels in Port St Lucie... and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards loyalty programs will receive an exclusive, preferred rate ("Marriott Rewards Member Rate"). ...
Star Trek (2009) / Headscratchers - TV TropesIt was a government-sponsored attempt to boost tourism. * That's where they got the rock to make the mountains for the ... As he's the one who programmed the stupid test for the last few years, I'd assume he knows it back to front, so I'll lay the ... Or, if you want to play it straight, perhaps the Enterprise had not yet been programmed with Chekov's voiceprint (he is a cadet ... National and state governments can still exist on Earth, they just quit fighting each other and have entrusted planetary ...
The Awareness Center, Inc. (International Jewish Coaltion Against Sexual Assault): The Cruelest Crime - Sexual Abuse Of...But like all programs, it offers no ironclad guarantee. "There's a chance of offending again because I like it," frankly admits ... C-2100 Government Center, Minneapolis, MN 55487 ... This program helps. It's still painful and it makes me angry, ... In addition most programs insist on written autobiographies and detailed accounts of the molester's sexual exploits homework ... This program may mean the difference for that child between having a life and not having one." ...
Fome Zero: Fome Zero (, Zero Hunger) is a Brazilian government program introduced by the then President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva in 2003, with the goal to eradicate hunger and extreme poverty in Brazil.Whitehall Study: The original Whitehall Study investigated social determinants of health, specifically the cardiovascular disease prevalence and mortality rates among British male civil servants between the ages of 20 and 64. The initial prospective cohort study, the Whitehall I Study, examined over 18,000 male civil servants, and was conducted over a period of ten years, beginning in 1967.Standard evaluation frameworkFederal Employees Health Benefits Program: The Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) Program is a system of "managed competition" through which employee health benefits are provided to civilian government employees and annuitants of the United States government.Local government areas of Scotland: Local government areas covering the whole of Scotland were first defined by the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1889. As currently defined, they are a result, for the most part, of the Local Government etc (Scotland) Act 1994.Companies OfficeState health agency: A state health agency (SHA), or state department of health, is a department or agency of the state governments of the United States focused on public health. The state secretary of health is a constitutional or at times a statutory official in several states of the United States.List of Parliamentary constituencies in Kent: The ceremonial county of Kent,Health policy: Health policy can be defined as the "decisions, plans, and actions that are undertaken to achieve specific health care goals within a society."World Health Organization.Opinion polling in the Philippine presidential election, 2010: Opinion polling (popularly known as surveys in the Philippines) for the 2010 Philippine presidential election is managed by two major polling firms: Social Weather Stations and Pulse Asia, and several minor polling firms. The polling firms conducted surveys both prior and after the deadline for filing of certificates of candidacies on December 1, 2009.Lifestyle management programme: A lifestyle management programme (also referred to as a health promotion programme, health behaviour change programme, lifestyle improvement programme or wellness programme) is an intervention designed to promote positive lifestyle and behaviour change and is widely used in the field of health promotion.Private healthcareSchool health education: School Health Education see also: Health Promotion is the process of transferring health knowledge during a student's school years (K-12). Its uses are in general classified as Public Health Education and School Health Education.Public Health Act: Public Health Act is a stock short title used in the United Kingdom for legislation relating to public health.Prison commissary: A prison commissary or canteen is a store within a correctional facility, from which inmates may purchase products such as hygiene items, snacks, writing instruments, etc. Spices, including those packaged with instant ramen noodles, are a popular item due to the often bland nature of prison food.Friendship (NGO): Friendship is a French - Bangladeshi non-governmental organization that works with poor and marginalized communities in Bangladesh in remote chars and riverbanks in the North, poorer areas in Northeast, cyclone-prone areas in the South and most recently the hard-to-reach indigenous communities in the coastal belt of the country. It was established in Bangladesh in 2002 to provide basic services to the highly suffering inaccessible areas from climate changes impact.Comprehensive Rural Health Project: The Comprehensive Rural Health Project (CRHP) is a non profit, non-governmental organization located in Jamkhed, Ahmednagar District in the state of Maharashtra, India. The organization works with rural communities to provide community-based primary healthcare and improve the general standard of living through a variety of community-led development programs, including Women's Self-Help Groups, Farmers' Clubs, Adolescent Programs and Sanitation and Watershed Development Programs.Lucas paradox: In economics, the Lucas paradox or the Lucas puzzle is the observation that capital does not flow from developed countries to developing countries despite the fact that developing countries have lower levels of capital per worker.}}Rock 'n' Roll (Status Quo song)Universal Immunization Programme: Universal Immunization Programme is a vaccination program launched by the Government of India in 1985. It became a part of Child Survival and Safe Motherhood Programme in 1992 and is currently one of the key areasGlobal Health Delivery ProjectClosed-ended question: A closed-ended question is a question format that limits respondents with a list of answer choices from which they must choose to answer the question.Dillman D.Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical UniversityChronic care: Chronic care refers to medical care which addresses pre-existing or long term illness, as opposed to acute care which is concerned with short term or severe illness of brief duration. Chronic medical conditions include asthma, diabetes, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, congestive heart disease, cirrhosis of the liver, hypertension and depression.International Network of Prison Ministries: The International Network of Prison Ministries (INPM) is a Dallas, Texas based crime prevention and rehabilitation trans-national organization. INPM functions through a website that serves as a clearinghouse for information about various Christian prison ministries.Behavior change (public health): Behavior change is a central objective in public health interventions,WHO 2002: World Health Report 2002 - Reducing Risks, Promoting Healthy Life Accessed Feb 2015 http://www.who.The Flash ChroniclesPublic opinion on nuclear issues: Public opinion on nuclear issues is the aggregate of attitudes or beliefs held by the adult population concerning nuclear power, nuclear weapons and uranium mining.Society for Education Action and Research in Community Health: Searching}}
(1/371) A national program for control of acute respiratory tract infections: the Philippine experience.
Maturing programs on child immunization and diarrheal diseases, a community-based research project, and a rational drug-use program facilitated the launching in 1989 of a nationwide Philippine Control of Acute Respiratory Infections program (Phil-CARI). From 1990 to 1991 the Phil-CARI expanded rapidly, training >80% of its middle managers and frontline health care providers on the case-management protocols of the World Health Organization for acute respiratory infection. Multiple donors and good collaboration with various societies and medical schools assisted the program. However, by 1992, there were difficulties in maintaining training quality, follow-up, and supervision. Donor assistance dwindled and the health care delivery system decentralized. Government procurement systems were unable to meet the logistics demands of the program. The monitoring and evaluation system was inadequate to measure impact. The Phil-CARI provides lessons in searching for more sustainable approaches and systems to meet the various demands of a nationwide ARI control program and to create the desired impact. (+info)
(2/371) Three countries' experience with Norplant introduction.
Despite international efforts to plan for Norplant introduction, the method has drawn the attention of critics of family planning programmes, and has raised several issues for debate since it was introduced into family planning programmes. The experiences of three countries with the introduction of Norplant highlight some of the unique features of the method that have affected its introduction. Indonesia, Bangladesh and the United States represent diverse cultural settings and systems of family planning provision. Experience in each country has highlighted the need to focus on quality of care for clients, most notably the need for good counselling and attention to removal as well as insertion. The cost of Norplant also has influenced its introduction in each country. Another issue includes the need to work with women's health advocacy groups, which is illustrated particularly in Bangladesh. Finally, the role of litigation in the United States, and its potential role in influencing Norplant introduction in other countries, is discussed. These three countries' experience illustrate the importance of understanding the programmatic context of contraceptive introduction. (+info)
(3/371) The impact of charging for insecticide on the Gambian National Impregnated Bednet Programme.
During the second year of the Gambian National Impregnated Bednet Programme (NIBP) charges for insecticide ($0.50 per net) were introduced into the half of the primary health care villages in the country where insecticide have been provided free of charge the previous year. Free insecticide was provided in the remaining villages that had acted as controls during the previous year. In villages where insecticide was provided free, 77% of nets were treated with insecticide. In contrast, in villages where charges were made coverage was only 14%. During the first year of the NIBP, mortality in children was significantly lower in villages where insecticide was provided free than in the control villages. Introduction of a charge for insecticide into the first group of villages and the provision of free insecticide in the latter abolished this difference. The cash income of rural Gambians is very limited and payment of even $2-3 for insecticide treatment for all the bednets in a household represents a substantial outlay. Further education on the benefits of treatment of nets and/or the provision of cheaper insecticide will be required before the full benefits of this powerful new malaria control measure can be fully realised in the Gambia. (+info)
(4/371) Eradicating guinea worm without wells: unrealized hopes of the Water Decade.
At the start of the United Nations International Drinking Water Supply and Sanitation Decade in the 1980s, guinea worm disease was targeted as the major indicator of the success of the Decade's efforts to promote safe water. By the late 1980s, most of the guinea worm endemic countries in Africa and South Asia had established guinea worm eradication programmes that included water supply as one of their main technical strategies. By surveying the water supply situation in Ifeloju Local Government Area (LGA) in Oyo State, Nigeria, in June 1996, as a case study, it was possible to determine the role that water supply has played in the eradication effort. Although two major agencies, the former Directorate for Food, Roads and Rural Infrastructure and UNICEF, provided hand dug and bore-hole wells respectively in many parts of the LGA, coverage of the smaller farm hamlets has been minor compared to efforts in the larger towns. This is ironic because the farm hamlets served as a reservoir for the disease in the 1980s, such that when the piped water system in the towns broke down, guinea worm was easily reintroduced into the towns. The survey of 188 ever-endemic hamlets with an estimated population of 23,556 found that 74.3% of the people still drink only pond water. Another 11.3% have wells that have become dysfunctional. Only 14.4% of this rural population has access' to functioning wells. Guinea worm was eliminated from 107 of the hamlets mainly by the use of cloth filters and chemical treatment of ponds. While this proves that it is possible to eradicate guinea worm, it fails to leave behind the legacy of reliable, safe water supplies that was the hope of the Water Decade. (+info)
(5/371) Racial bias in federal nutrition policy, Part I: The public health implications of variations in lactase persistence.
The Dietary Guidelines for Americans from the basis for all federal nutrition programs and incorporate the Food Guide Pyramid, a tool to educate consumers on putting the Guidelines into practice. The Pyramid recommends two to three daily servings of dairy products. However, research has shown that lactase nonpersistence, the loss of enzymes that digest the milk sugar lactose, occurs in a majority of African-, Asian-, Hispanic-, and Native-American individuals. Whites are less likely to develop lactase nonpersistence and less likely to have symptoms when it does occur. Calcium is available in other foods that do not contain lactose. Osteoporosis is less common among African Americans and Mexican Americans than among whites, and there is little evidence that dairy products have an effect on osteoporosis among racial minorities. Evidence suggests that a modification of federal nutrition policies, making dairy-product use optional in light of other calcium sources, may be a helpful public health measure. (+info)
(6/371) Closer to a compromise on the direction of environmental research.
The Committee for the National Institute for the Environment (CNIE) was created in 1990 "to improve the scientific basis for making decisions on environmental issues," possibly through the establishment of a separate institute devoted to the environmental sciences. But while the goals proposed for the National Institute for the Environment were universally applauded, Congress was averse to adding a new agency to the federal bureaucracy. Recently, a compromise plan has been proposed that could expand the science base without having to create a new agency. On 29 July 1999, the National Science Board approved an interim report recommending an expanded program of environmental research and research planning, education, and scientific assessment with a funding target of an additional $1 billion over five years. The report stresses the importance of environmental research in formulating environmental protection programs and contains 12 recommendations intended to enhance and complement existing research activities in environmental sciences and engineering. If the National Science Foundation implements the recommendations in the report and if Congress appropriates funds for that purpose, the need for additional funding for new science activities identified by the CNIE should be satisfied. (+info)
(7/371) Impact of the Massachusetts tobacco control programme: population based trend analysis.
OBJECTIVE: To assess the impact of the Massachusetts tobacco control programme, which, since its start in January 1993, has spent over $200m-"the highest per capita expenditure for tobacco control in the world"-funded by an extra tax of 25 cents per pack of cigarettes. DESIGN: Population based trend analysis with comparison group. SUBJECTS: Adult residents of Massachusetts and other US states excluding California. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Per capita consumption of cigarettes as measured by states' sales tax records; prevalence of smoking in adults as measured by several population-based telephone surveys. RESULTS: From 1988 to 1992, decline in per capita consumption of cigarettes in Massachusetts (15%) was similar to that in the comparison states (14%), corresponding to an annual decline of 3-4% for both groups. During 1992-3, consumption continued to decline by 4% in the comparison states but dropped 12% in Massachusetts in response to the tax increase. From 1993 onward, consumption in Massachusetts showed a consistent annual decline of more than 4%, whereas in the comparison states it levelled off, decreasing by less than 1% a year. From 1992, the prevalence of adult smoking in Massachusetts has declined annually by 0.43% (95% confidence interval 0.21% to 0.66%) compared with an increase of 0. 03% (-0.06% to 0.12%) in the comparison states (P<0.001). CONCLUSIONS: These findings show that a strongly implemented, comprehensive tobacco control programme can significantly reduce tobacco use. (+info)
(8/371) Advanced Technology Program's information infrastructure for healthcare focused program: a brief history.
This review examines how a "bottom-up" model of a civilian technology program works by recounting the story of the "genesis" of the Information Infrastructure for Healthcare (IIH) focused program of the Advanced Technology Program. The IIH program began with an exchange of ideas among members of the private and public sectors (through the submission of "white papers" by members of industry, workshops conducted by the ATP, and meetings among persons from both groups) to identify the technologies that are necessary for the development of a national information infrastructure in health care. What the ATP hoped to gain through this process and how the private sector responded are noted. A statistical description of the participants and a discussion of changes in the ATP review and selection process is included. (+info)
- Medicaid is the state and federal health insurance program for persons with limited financial resources, or in some cases, extremely high medical expenses. (ct.gov)
- President Donald Trump's first budget request to Congress would make deep cuts to government programs , including Medicaid, the health insurance program for low-income adults and children. (pewresearch.org)
- Several U.S. Government agencies and multilateral development organizations, mostly based in Washington, D.C., provide financial services and incentives for U.S. businesses seeking to enter the international marketplace. (zionsbank.com)
- Likely, they may be programs similar to Peace Corps, however, I need to make sure that the organizations are actually sponsored by the governments, not merely non-profit organizations. (google.com)
- And the federal unemployment insurance program expired at the end of 2013, meaning 1.3 million Americans will go without assistance on which they rely unless Congress reauthorizes the program. (care2.com)
- WASHINGTON The private student lending industry and its allies in Congress are maneuvering to thwart a plan by President Obama to end a subsidized loan program and redirect billions of dollars in bank profits to scholarships for needy students. (dogbrothers.com)
- Under the subsidized loan program, the government pays lenders like Citigroup, Bank of America and Sallie Mae, with both the subsidy and the maximum interest rate for borrowers set by Congress. (dogbrothers.com)
- The lenders say the budget savings could be achieved without ending their role and are pushing to keep the system in place, including an arrangement approved by Congress last year by which they are paid to originate loans but can resell them to the government. (dogbrothers.com)
- The Export-Import Bank of the United States (EXIM) is an independent U.S. government agency chartered by Congress to facilitate the financing of exports of U.S. goods and services. (zionsbank.com)
- Source: "Medicare.gov", U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 1-800-MEDICARE. (ct.gov)
- Medicare is the federal health insurance program for people age 65 years or older, or people under age 65 with permanent kidney failure or for those collecting Social Security Disability for two years. (ct.gov)
- Visit www.medicare.gov for additional information on Medicare. (ct.gov)
- On Medicare - the health insurance program for the elderly or those with certain disabilities, which would not lose funding under the Trump budget - 85% of Republicans said they would maintain or increase spending, as did 94% of Democrats. (pewresearch.org)
- SNAP, commonly known as the food stamp program, cuts another 1.6 points. (care2.com)
- Despite their effectiveness at reducing poverty, many of these programs aren't as effective as they could be thanks to reforms and budget cuts. (care2.com)
- Critics of the subsidized loan system, called the Federal Family Education Loan Program, say private lenders have collected hefty fees for decades on loans that are risk-free because the government guarantees repayment up to 97 percent. (dogbrothers.com)
- The International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, invests in private ventures in developing countries by providing equity financing and loans without government guarantees in collaboration with other investors. (zionsbank.com)
- The Military/Government & Veterans Purchase Program ('Program') is a benefit provided by Apple Inc. ("Apple") to current and retired employees, contractors and family members of government entities, and current, former, and retired members and family members of the US Military, National Guard and Reserve. (apple.com)
- Plans must also be coordinated with other relevant entities or programs in the community, such as the family court project, legal services, GAL/CASA, and the pro bono district. (in.gov)
- A Gallup poll found that 53 percent of Americans want less government meddling in the nation's problems. (wnd.com)
- Al though the April survey did not ask about views of federal spending overall , Americans are split in their preferences on the size and scope of government: 48% said they would rather have a bigger government providing more services, while 45% preferred a smaller government providing fewer services. (pewresearch.org)
- Were it not for a broad range of government programs meant to reduce poverty by providing assistance to low-income Americans, the poverty rate in the United States would be nearly twice as high as it is today. (care2.com)
- Conservative women want real men to be a part of their lives, not someone reduced to a "useless yes man" by the domination of a federal government that wants to control men and "save" women with programs such as a "Fluked-up, fifteen-dollar freebie in birth control. (wnd.com)
- The ever-enlarging federal government and increasing cost of living now often forces women to work outside the home, to the dismay of Loudon. (wnd.com)
- The federal government pushed women into having children outside of marriage with welfare and other benefits, but these women were not free, the authors suggest. (wnd.com)
- About two-in-ten adults (21%) said they favored reducing federal funding for the program, including 10% who held that view strongly. (pewresearch.org)
- In Pew Research Center surveys dating to 2009 , the only other budget area for which reduced federal funding has drawn the support of at least half of either party is "government assistance for the unemployed. (pewresearch.org)
- With the government directly or indirectly financing virtually all federal student loans because of the financial crisis, the critics say there is no reason to continue a program that was intended to inject private capital into the education lending system. (dogbrothers.com)
- At the same time, the private loan industry, which would have collapsed without a government rescue last year, has begun lobbying aggressively to save a program that has generated giant profits with very little risk. (dogbrothers.com)
- The point is that the agencies undertaking a program have a strong incentive to exaggerate its benefits. (typepad.com)
- Plans must include a description of how information about the plan, including the assessment of a $20.00 fee, will be distributed to the various sectors of the county, including but not limited to attorneys, other court/government personnel, social service agencies and providers, and the general public. (in.gov)
- The counties are required to file an annual report summarizing the ADR program each year (see annual report form on this site. (in.gov)
- Please make sure your browser is set to accept cookies, otherwise you won't be able to visit the Apple Military/Government & Veterans purchase store. (apple.com)
- Please contact the International Department at Zions Bank if you want to learn more about any of these government and multilateral finance programs. (zionsbank.com)
- Only 13 percent want more government involvement. (wnd.com)
- The Congressional Budget Office says replacing subsidized loans made by private banks with direct government lending would save $94 billion over the next decade, money that Mr. Obama would use to expand Pell grants for the poorest students. (dogbrothers.com)
- She says a real man will stand up for freedom and liberty, no matter the pressure from government. (wnd.com)
- Labor Market Shocks and Retirement: Do Government Programs Matter? (nber.org)
- The authors suggest independent women don't want a nanny state, where a government sees them just as a number. (wnd.com)
- Eduardo Porter had a good piece in the NYT pointing out the importance of having independent evaluations of government programs. (typepad.com)
- The Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) is an independent U.S. Government agency that encourages mutually beneficial direct U.S. investment in developing countries and emerging democracies. (zionsbank.com)
- I would rather donate money personally to these charities than have a government agency decide how my money is used. (pennlive.com)
- Just How Effective Are Government Programs At Reducing The Poverty Rate? (care2.com)
- No program has a larger impact on poverty than Social Security, which reduces the poverty rate by 8.5 percentage points, according to Census data. (care2.com)
- Other programs, including unemployment insurance, housing subsidies, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families and the WIC program, cut anywhere from 0.1 to 0.9 points off the rate. (care2.com)
- Throughout the article, Mr. Smith thanks the government for giving him the wherewithal to improve his life. (pennlive.com)
- Republicans say the plan is proof that Mr. Obama is trying to vastly expand government. (dogbrothers.com)
- The U.S. Government, in its efforts to maintain a competitive position for the U.S.A. in global commerce, is actively encouraging small- to medium-sized businesses to use these programs to enter and/or expand their participation in the international marketplace. (zionsbank.com)
- I agree and certify that I am of at least 18 years of age and a current or retired employee, contractor or family member of a government entity or a current, former, or retired member or family member of the US Military, National Guard and Reserve or veteran and that I accept the above terms and conditions. (apple.com)
- The plan is the main money-saving component of Mr. Obama s education agenda, which includes a sweeping overhaul of financial aid programs. (dogbrothers.com)
- By submitting your order, you certify that you have read and understand the terms and conditions of the Military/Government & Veterans Purchase Program and confirm that you are an eligible person, of at least 18 years of age, to participate in this Program as described above. (apple.com)
- Counties wishing to participate in an ADR program must develop an ADR plan that is consistent with the statute and that is approved by a majority of the counties' judges with jurisdiction over domestic relations and paternity cases. (in.gov)
- I am looking for international volunteer programs that are sponsored by foreign (non-US) countries. (google.com)
- Government programs can never replace private charity, Pope Benedict XVI said at an audience on March 6. (catholicculture.org)
- The program is also offered to all veterans and their family members. (apple.com)
- The Program is intended for personal use. (apple.com)