• fats
  • Thus conjugated bile acids are almost always in their deprotonated (A-) form in the duodenum, which makes them much more water-soluble and much more able to fulfil their physiologic function of emulsifying fats. (wikipedia.org)
  • gastric
  • Bile acids have been suggested to play an important role in the etiology of colon and gastric cancer after gastrectomy, but the molecular biology of these effects is poorly understood. (oup.com)
  • We evaluated the effect of different bile acids on human gastric and colon carcinoma cells and identified genes by RNA arbitrarily primed PCR for differential display that are modulated following treatment with hydrophobic bile acids. (oup.com)
  • ileum
  • Upon reaching the ileum, bile acids are transported by specific transport proteins to the portal circulation for recycling back to the liver. (frontiersin.org)
  • colon
  • The process is highly efficient with over 95% of bile acids resorbed, the remaining 5% proceeding to the colon and excreted through the stool. (frontiersin.org)
  • molecular
  • Different molecular forms of bile acids can be synthesized in the liver by different species. (wikipedia.org)
  • While data from cellular and animal models and clinical trials support potential efficacy to treat a variety of neurodegenerative disorders, the relevant bile acids, their origin, and the precise molecular mechanism(s) by which they confer neuroprotection are not known delaying translation to the clinical setting. (frontiersin.org)
  • molecules
  • 9 3-It combines with three molecules of nitric acid to form trinitroglycerin (TNT) that is used as explosive and vasodilator. (slideplayer.com)
  • Human
  • Human adults secrete between 12-18 g of bile acids into the intestine each day, mostly after meals. (wikipedia.org)
  • Bile acids are readily bioavailable via oral, subcutaneous, or intravenous administration, can cross the blood-brain barrier, are relatively nontoxic, and have been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for human therapeutic use. (frontiersin.org)
  • role
  • We review evidence supporting a potentially therapeutic role for bile acids in a number of diverse neurodegenerative conditions. (frontiersin.org)
  • levels
  • The effects of MCFAs on the permeability of bile acid (cholic acid, CA) in Caco-2 cell monolayers and I-BABP expression levels in Caco-2 cells treated with caprylic acid (C8:0), capric acid (C10:0), stearic acid (C18:0) and oleic acid (C18:1) were determined. (deepdyve.com)
  • cells
  • Thioredoxin reductase (TR) mRNA was upregulated after treatment with taurochenodeoxycholic acid (TCDCA) in St 23132 cells. (oup.com)
  • This implies that hydrophobic bile acids mediate oxidative stress in gastrointestinal cancer cells, which was confirmed by measurement of oxidative burst after treatment with DCA. (oup.com)
  • The results suggest that hydrophobic bile acids induce oxidative stress in gastrointestinal cancer resulting in a compensatory upregulation of TR mRNA, one of the key components in the complex anti-oxidant defense system within eukaryotic cells. (oup.com)