The ash, dust, gases, and lava released by volcanic explosion. The gases are volatile matter composed principally of about 90% water vapor, and carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, hydrogen, carbon monoxide, and nitrogen. The ash or dust is pyroclastic ejecta and lava is molten extrusive material consisting mainly of magnesium silicate. (From McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, 4th ed)
In Situ Hybridization
Staining and Labeling
Strains of mice in which certain GENES of their GENOMES have been disrupted, or "knocked-out". To produce knockouts, using RECOMBINANT DNA technology, the normal DNA sequence of the gene being studied is altered to prevent synthesis of a normal gene product. Cloned cells in which this DNA alteration is successful are then injected into mouse EMBRYOS to produce chimeric mice. The chimeric mice are then bred to yield a strain in which all the cells of the mouse contain the disrupted gene. Knockout mice are used as EXPERIMENTAL ANIMAL MODELS for diseases (DISEASE MODELS, ANIMAL) and to clarify the functions of the genes.
Lymphocytes responsible for cell-mediated immunity. Two types have been identified - cytotoxic (T-LYMPHOCYTES, CYTOTOXIC) and helper T-lymphocytes (T-LYMPHOCYTES, HELPER-INDUCER). They are formed when lymphocytes circulate through the THYMUS GLAND and differentiate to thymocytes. When exposed to an antigen, they divide rapidly and produce large numbers of new T cells sensitized to that antigen.
Morphologic alteration of small B LYMPHOCYTES or T LYMPHOCYTES in culture into large blast-like cells able to synthesize DNA and RNA and to divide mitotically. It is induced by INTERLEUKINS; MITOGENS such as PHYTOHEMAGGLUTININS, and by specific ANTIGENS. It may also occur in vivo as in GRAFT REJECTION.
The use of instrumentation and techniques for visualizing material and details that cannot be seen by the unaided eye. It is usually done by enlarging images, transmitted by light or electron beams, with optical or magnetic lenses that magnify the entire image field. With scanning microscopy, images are generated by collecting output from the specimen in a point-by-point fashion, on a magnified scale, as it is scanned by a narrow beam of light or electrons, a laser, a conductive probe, or a topographical probe.
Gene Expression Regulation, Developmental
Molecular Sequence Data
Descriptions of specific amino acid, carbohydrate, or nucleotide sequences which have appeared in the published literature and/or are deposited in and maintained by databanks such as GENBANK, European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), National Biomedical Research Foundation (NBRF), or other sequence repositories.
Intestinal Diseases, Parasitic
Disease Models, Animal
Periodic Acid-Schiff Reaction
The specific failure of a normally responsive individual to make an immune response to a known antigen. It results from previous contact with the antigen by an immunologically immature individual (fetus or neonate) or by an adult exposed to extreme high-dose or low-dose antigen, or by exposure to radiation, antimetabolites, antilymphocytic serum, etc.
Deliberate stimulation of the host's immune response. ACTIVE IMMUNIZATION involves administration of ANTIGENS or IMMUNOLOGIC ADJUVANTS. PASSIVE IMMUNIZATION involves administration of IMMUNE SERA or LYMPHOCYTES or their extracts (e.g., transfer factor, immune RNA) or transplantation of immunocompetent cell producing tissue (thymus or bone marrow).
Personnel Staffing and Scheduling Information Systems
A species of parasitic protozoa found in the intestines of humans and other primates. It was classified as a yeast in 1912. Over the years, questions arose about this designation. In 1967, many physiological and morphological B. hominis characteristics were reported that fit a protozoan classification. Since that time, other papers have corroborated this work and the organism is now recognized as a protozoan parasite of humans causing intestinal disease with potentially disabling symptoms.
The major interferon produced by mitogenically or antigenically stimulated LYMPHOCYTES. It is structurally different from TYPE I INTERFERON and its major activity is immunoregulation. It has been implicated in the expression of CLASS II HISTOCOMPATIBILITY ANTIGENS in cells that do not normally produce them, leading to AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES.
A critical subpopulation of T-lymphocytes involved in the induction of most immunological functions. The HIV virus has selective tropism for the T4 cell which expresses the CD4 phenotypic marker, a receptor for HIV. In fact, the key element in the profound immunosuppression seen in HIV infection is the depletion of this subset of T-lymphocytes.
The ten-layered nervous tissue membrane of the eye. It is continuous with the OPTIC NERVE and receives images of external objects and transmits visual impulses to the brain. Its outer surface is in contact with the CHOROID and the inner surface with the VITREOUS BODY. The outer-most layer is pigmented, whereas the inner nine layers are transparent.
Subset of helper-inducer T-lymphocytes which synthesize and secrete interleukin-2, gamma-interferon, and interleukin-12. Due to their ability to kill antigen-presenting cells and their lymphokine-mediated effector activity, Th1 cells are associated with vigorous delayed-type hypersensitivity reactions.
The intracellular transfer of information (biological activation/inhibition) through a signal pathway. In each signal transduction system, an activation/inhibition signal from a biologically active molecule (hormone, neurotransmitter) is mediated via the coupling of a receptor/enzyme to a second messenger system or to an ion channel. Signal transduction plays an important role in activating cellular functions, cell differentiation, and cell proliferation. Examples of signal transduction systems are the GAMMA-AMINOBUTYRIC ACID-postsynaptic receptor-calcium ion channel system, the receptor-mediated T-cell activation pathway, and the receptor-mediated activation of phospholipases. Those coupled to membrane depolarization or intracellular release of calcium include the receptor-mediated activation of cytotoxic functions in granulocytes and the synaptic potentiation of protein kinase activation. Some signal transduction pathways may be part of larger signal transduction pathways; for example, protein kinase activation is part of the platelet activation signal pathway.
Non-antibody proteins secreted by inflammatory leukocytes and some non-leukocytic cells, that act as intercellular mediators. They differ from classical hormones in that they are produced by a number of tissue or cell types rather than by specialized glands. They generally act locally in a paracrine or autocrine rather than endocrine manner.
One of two ganglionated neural networks which together form the ENTERIC NERVOUS SYSTEM. The myenteric (Auerbach's) plexus is located between the longitudinal and circular muscle layers of the gut. Its neurons project to the circular muscle, to other myenteric ganglia, to submucosal ganglia, or directly to the epithelium, and play an important role in regulating and patterning gut motility. (From FASEB J 1989;3:127-38)
Mice, Inbred Strains
Genetically identical individuals developed from brother and sister matings which have been carried out for twenty or more generations, or by parent x offspring matings carried out with certain restrictions. All animals within an inbred strain trace back to a common ancestor in the twentieth generation.
Amino Acid Sequence
Specialized cells of the hematopoietic system that have branch-like extensions. They are found throughout the lymphatic system, and in non-lymphoid tissues such as SKIN and the epithelia of the intestinal, respiratory, and reproductive tracts. They trap and process ANTIGENS, and present them to T-CELLS, thereby stimulating CELL-MEDIATED IMMUNITY. They are different from the non-hematopoietic FOLLICULAR DENDRITIC CELLS, which have a similar morphology and immune system function, but with respect to humoral immunity (ANTIBODY PRODUCTION).
Lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus
The type species of ARENAVIRUS, part of the Old World Arenaviruses (ARENAVIRUSES, OLD WORLD), producing a silent infection in house and laboratory mice. In humans, infection with LCMV can be inapparent, or can present with an influenza-like illness, a benign aseptic meningitis, or a severe meningoencephalomyelitis. The virus can also infect monkeys, dogs, field mice, guinea pigs, and hamsters, the latter an epidemiologically important host.
The restriction of a characteristic behavior, anatomical structure or physical system, such as immune response; metabolic response, or gene or gene variant to the members of one species. It refers to that property which differentiates one species from another but it is also used for phylogenetic levels higher or lower than the species.
Protection from an infectious disease agent that is mediated by B- and T- LYMPHOCYTES following exposure to specific antigen, and characterized by IMMUNOLOGIC MEMORY. It can result from either previous infection with that agent or vaccination (IMMUNITY, ACTIVE), or transfer of antibody or lymphocytes from an immune donor (IMMUNIZATION, PASSIVE).
Technique using an instrument system for making, processing, and displaying one or more measurements on individual cells obtained from a cell suspension. Cells are usually stained with one or more fluorescent dyes specific to cell components of interest, e.g., DNA, and fluorescence of each cell is measured as it rapidly transverses the excitation beam (laser or mercury arc lamp). Fluorescence provides a quantitative measure of various biochemical and biophysical properties of the cell, as well as a basis for cell sorting. Other measurable optical parameters include light absorption and light scattering, the latter being applicable to the measurement of cell size, shape, density, granularity, and stain uptake.
The relatively long-lived phagocytic cell of mammalian tissues that are derived from blood MONOCYTES. Main types are PERITONEAL MACROPHAGES; ALVEOLAR MACROPHAGES; HISTIOCYTES; KUPFFER CELLS of the liver; and OSTEOCLASTS. They may further differentiate within chronic inflammatory lesions to EPITHELIOID CELLS or may fuse to form FOREIGN BODY GIANT CELLS or LANGHANS GIANT CELLS. (from The Dictionary of Cell Biology, Lackie and Dow, 3rd ed.)
Immunized T-lymphocytes which can directly destroy appropriate target cells. These cytotoxic lymphocytes may be generated in vitro in mixed lymphocyte cultures (MLC), in vivo during a graft-versus-host (GVH) reaction, or after immunization with an allograft, tumor cell or virally transformed or chemically modified target cell. The lytic phenomenon is sometimes referred to as cell-mediated lympholysis (CML). These CD8-positive cells are distinct from NATURAL KILLER CELLS and NATURAL KILLER T-CELLS. There are two effector phenotypes: TC1 and TC2.
Microscopy using an electron beam, instead of light, to visualize the sample, thereby allowing much greater magnification. The interactions of ELECTRONS with specimens are used to provide information about the fine structure of that specimen. In TRANSMISSION ELECTRON MICROSCOPY the reactions of the electrons that are transmitted through the specimen are imaged. In SCANNING ELECTRON MICROSCOPY an electron beam falls at a non-normal angle on the specimen and the image is derived from the reactions occurring above the plane of the specimen.
RNA sequences that serve as templates for protein synthesis. Bacterial mRNAs are generally primary transcripts in that they do not require post-transcriptional processing. Eukaryotic mRNA is synthesized in the nucleus and must be exported to the cytoplasm for translation. Most eukaryotic mRNAs have a sequence of polyadenylic acid at the 3' end, referred to as the poly(A) tail. The function of this tail is not known for certain, but it may play a role in the export of mature mRNA from the nucleus as well as in helping stabilize some mRNA molecules by retarding their degradation in the cytoplasm.
A heterodimeric cytokine that plays a role in innate and adaptive immune responses. Interleukin-12 is a 70 kDa protein that is composed of covalently linked 40 kDa and 35 kDa subunits. It is produced by DENDRITIC CELLS; MACROPHAGES and a variety of other immune cells and plays a role in the stimulation of INTERFERON-GAMMA production by T-LYMPHOCYTES and NATURAL KILLER CELLS.
Fluorescent Antibody Technique
Test for tissue antigen using either a direct method, by conjugation of antibody with fluorescent dye (FLUORESCENT ANTIBODY TECHNIQUE, DIRECT) or an indirect method, by formation of antigen-antibody complex which is then labeled with fluorescein-conjugated anti-immunoglobulin antibody (FLUORESCENT ANTIBODY TECHNIQUE, INDIRECT). The tissue is then examined by fluorescence microscopy.
Gene Expression Profiling
Fluorescent Antibody Technique, Indirect
A form of fluorescent antibody technique commonly used to detect serum antibodies and immune complexes in tissues and microorganisms in specimens from patients with infectious diseases. The technique involves formation of an antigen-antibody complex which is labeled with fluorescein-conjugated anti-immunoglobulin antibody. (From Bennington, Saunders Dictionary & Encyclopedia of Laboratory Medicine and Technology, 1984)
A form of meningitis caused by LYMPHOCYTIC CHORIOMENINGITIS VIRUS. MICE and other rodents serve as the natural hosts, and infection in humans usually occurs through inhalation or ingestion of infectious particles. Clinical manifestations include an influenza-like syndrome followed by stiff neck, alterations of mentation, ATAXIA, and incontinence. Maternal infections may result in fetal malformations and injury, including neonatal HYDROCEPHALUS, aqueductal stenosis, CHORIORETINITIS, and MICROCEPHALY. (From Joynt, Clinical Neurology, 1996, Ch26, pp1-3)
Retinal Ganglion Cells
Neurons of the innermost layer of the retina, the internal plexiform layer. They are of variable sizes and shapes, and their axons project via the OPTIC NERVE to the brain. A small subset of these cells act as photoreceptors with projections to the SUPRACHIASMATIC NUCLEUS, the center for regulating CIRCADIAN RHYTHM.
Polymerase Chain Reaction
In vitro method for producing large amounts of specific DNA or RNA fragments of defined length and sequence from small amounts of short oligonucleotide flanking sequences (primers). The essential steps include thermal denaturation of the double-stranded target molecules, annealing of the primers to their complementary sequences, and extension of the annealed primers by enzymatic synthesis with DNA polymerase. The reaction is efficient, specific, and extremely sensitive. Uses for the reaction include disease diagnosis, detection of difficult-to-isolate pathogens, mutation analysis, genetic testing, DNA sequencing, and analyzing evolutionary relationships.
The transparent anterior portion of the fibrous coat of the eye consisting of five layers: stratified squamous CORNEAL EPITHELIUM; BOWMAN MEMBRANE; CORNEAL STROMA; DESCEMET MEMBRANE; and mesenchymal CORNEAL ENDOTHELIUM. It serves as the first refracting medium of the eye. It is structurally continuous with the SCLERA, avascular, receiving its nourishment by permeation through spaces between the lamellae, and is innervated by the ophthalmic division of the TRIGEMINAL NERVE via the ciliary nerves and those of the surrounding conjunctiva which together form plexuses. (Cline et al., Dictionary of Visual Science, 4th ed)
Microscopy, Electron, Scanning
Microscopy in which the object is examined directly by an electron beam scanning the specimen point-by-point. The image is constructed by detecting the products of specimen interactions that are projected above the plane of the sample, such as backscattered electrons. Although SCANNING TRANSMISSION ELECTRON MICROSCOPY also scans the specimen point by point with the electron beam, the image is constructed by detecting the electrons, or their interaction products that are transmitted through the sample plane, so that is a form of TRANSMISSION ELECTRON MICROSCOPY.
Gene Expression Regulation
Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay
An immunoassay utilizing an antibody labeled with an enzyme marker such as horseradish peroxidase. While either the enzyme or the antibody is bound to an immunosorbent substrate, they both retain their biologic activity; the change in enzyme activity as a result of the enzyme-antibody-antigen reaction is proportional to the concentration of the antigen and can be measured spectrophotometrically or with the naked eye. Many variations of the method have been developed.
A cytokine produced by a variety of cell types, including T-LYMPHOCYTES; MONOCYTES; DENDRITIC CELLS; and EPITHELIAL CELLS that exerts a variety of effects on immunoregulation and INFLAMMATION. Interleukin-10 combines with itself to form a homodimeric molecule that is the biologically active form of the protein.
A family of pattern recognition receptors characterized by an extracellular leucine-rich domain and a cytoplasmic domain that share homology with the INTERLEUKIN 1 RECEPTOR and the DROSOPHILA toll protein. Following pathogen recognition, toll-like receptors recruit and activate a variety of SIGNAL TRANSDUCING ADAPTOR PROTEINS.
Reverse Transcriptase Polymerase Chain Reaction
RNA, usually prepared by transcription from cloned DNA, which complements a specific mRNA or DNA and is generally used for studies of virus genes, distribution of specific RNA in tissues and cells, integration of viral DNA into genomes, transcription, etc. Whereas DNA PROBES are preferred for use at a more macroscopic level for detection of the presence of DNA/RNA from specific species or subspecies, RNA probes are preferred for genetic studies. Conventional labels for the RNA probe include radioisotope labels 32P and 125I and the chemical label biotin. RNA probes may be further divided by category into plus-sense RNA probes, minus-sense RNA probes, and antisense RNA probes.
Multi-subunit proteins which function in IMMUNITY. They are produced by B LYMPHOCYTES from the IMMUNOGLOBULIN GENES. They are comprised of two heavy (IMMUNOGLOBULIN HEAVY CHAINS) and two light chains (IMMUNOGLOBULIN LIGHT CHAINS) with additional ancillary polypeptide chains depending on their isoforms. The variety of isoforms include monomeric or polymeric forms, and transmembrane forms (B-CELL ANTIGEN RECEPTORS) or secreted forms (ANTIBODIES). They are divided by the amino acid sequence of their heavy chains into five classes (IMMUNOGLOBULIN A; IMMUNOGLOBULIN D; IMMUNOGLOBULIN E; IMMUNOGLOBULIN G; IMMUNOGLOBULIN M) and various subclasses.
Sensitivity and Specificity
Deliberate prevention or diminution of the host's immune response. It may be nonspecific as in the administration of immunosuppressive agents (drugs or radiation) or by lymphocyte depletion or may be specific as in desensitization or the simultaneous administration of antigen and immunosuppressive drugs.
Subpopulation of CD4+ lymphocytes that cooperate with other lymphocytes (either T or B) to initiate a variety of immune functions. For example, helper-inducer T-cells cooperate with B-cells to produce antibodies to thymus-dependent antigens and with other subpopulations of T-cells to initiate a variety of cell-mediated immune functions.
A single, unpaired primary lymphoid organ situated in the MEDIASTINUM, extending superiorly into the neck to the lower edge of the THYROID GLAND and inferiorly to the fourth costal cartilage. It is necessary for normal development of immunologic function early in life. By puberty, it begins to involute and much of the tissue is replaced by fat.
Green Fluorescent Proteins
Active immunization where vaccine is administered for therapeutic or preventive purposes. This can include administration of immunopotentiating agents such as BCG vaccine and Corynebacterium parvum as well as biological response modifiers such as interferons, interleukins, and colony-stimulating factors in order to directly stimulate the immune system.
A potent androgenic steroid and major product secreted by the LEYDIG CELLS of the TESTIS. Its production is stimulated by LUTEINIZING HORMONE from the PITUITARY GLAND. In turn, testosterone exerts feedback control of the pituitary LH and FSH secretion. Depending on the tissues, testosterone can be further converted to DIHYDROTESTOSTERONE or ESTRADIOL.
Interferon Type I
Lipid-containing polysaccharides which are endotoxins and important group-specific antigens. They are often derived from the cell wall of gram-negative bacteria and induce immunoglobulin secretion. The lipopolysaccharide molecule consists of three parts: LIPID A, core polysaccharide, and O-specific chains (O ANTIGENS). When derived from Escherichia coli, lipopolysaccharides serve as polyclonal B-cell mitogens commonly used in laboratory immunology. (From Dorland, 28th ed)
Retinal Pigment Epithelium
The single layer of pigment-containing epithelial cells in the RETINA, situated closely to the tips (outer segments) of the RETINAL PHOTORECEPTOR CELLS. These epithelial cells are macroglia that perform essential functions for the photoreceptor cells, such as in nutrient transport, phagocytosis of the shed photoreceptor membranes, and ensuring retinal attachment.
Differentiation antigens residing on mammalian leukocytes. CD stands for cluster of differentiation, which refers to groups of monoclonal antibodies that show similar reactivity with certain subpopulations of antigens of a particular lineage or differentiation stage. The subpopulations of antigens are also known by the same CD designation.
White blood cells formed in the body's lymphoid tissue. The nucleus is round or ovoid with coarse, irregularly clumped chromatin while the cytoplasm is typically pale blue with azurophilic (if any) granules. Most lymphocytes can be classified as either T or B (with subpopulations of each), or NATURAL KILLER CELLS.
The first recorded eruption of Mount Etna occurs. Zhou Yuan Wang becomes king of the Zhou Dynasty. The painter Polygnotus of ... Year 475 BC was a year of the pre-Julian Roman calendar. In the Roman Republic, it was known as year 279 Ab urbe condita. The ... "Mount Etna , Eruptions, History, & Facts". Encyclopedia Britannica. Retrieved 7 April 2019.. ... when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years. Cimon leads an Athenian attack on the ...
The flow of lava from Mount Etna almost stopped. Marcus Garvey was sentenced to five years in prison for mail fraud. Britain ... Mount Etna erupted in Sicily with several loud explosions. The Stan Laurel comedy film Pick and Shovel was released. Born: ... Lava from Mount Etna reached the outskirts of Linguaglossa and Castiglione. U.S. President Warren G. Harding left Washington on ... Several small towns around Mount Etna were destroyed by lava, but no casualties were reported as residents had time to evacuate ...
Aetna, Hickman County, Tennessee
Aetna was named after the Sicilian volcano, Mount Etna. Coordinates: 35°39′18″N 87°30′17″W / 35.65500°N 87.50472°W / ... It lies at an elevation of 699 feet (213 m). A post office called Aetna was established in 1886, and closed one year later in ...
Hall, Shannon (15 November 2018). "World's first automated volcano forecast predicts Mount Etna's eruptions". Nature. 563 (7732 ... The south face of the mountain was once part of Iceland's coastline, from which, over thousands of years, the sea has retreated ... In strong winds, the water of the smaller falls can even be blown up the mountain. The area between the mountain and the ... meaning fells or mountains, and together literally means: "the mountains of the islands". The name probably refers to the close ...
Geology of Italy
Mount Etna tends toward less explosive basaltic eruptions. Petroleum exploration in Italy began in the late 19th century and ... Around 60 million years ago in the Paleocene, alkali basalt dikes penetrated areas in the Dolomites. Basalt and volcaniclastic ... The geology of Italy includes mountain ranges such as the Alps, the Dolomites and the Apennines formed from the uplift of ... In the Eocene, the Apennine Mountains continued forming. The foothills in Friuli and the Venice-area are remnants of Eocene age ...
... then conquered Aetna, southwest of Mount Etna, before moving into Agrigentum. Syracuse, although an ally, became ... It was in this year that Ducetius' Sicel empire was at its height. Only a year later in 450 BCE, it would be decisively ... Diodorus Siculus, in another passage, says that Ducetius colonised Kale Akte in 440 BCE, the same year he died. Thus, the date ...
... Journal; It's Plug Up Mt. Etna or Go the Way of Pompeii by Alan Cowell on April 25, 1992, New York Times v t e ... In August, every second Sunday of each year, Zafferana Etnea celebrates Festa della Madonna della Provvidenza. It is the most ... Zafferana Etnea was threatened by the 1992 volcanic eruption of Mount Etna. It is now a summer resort with views of landscapes ... is now regarded as one of the major tourist stopping points for summer and winter expeditions to the summit of Mt. Etna. " ...
Prediction of volcanic activity
This tool based on the monitoring of the trees growth has been validated at both Mt. Niyragongo and Mt. Etna during the 2002- ... Monitoring of deep crust events can help predict accurately what will happen in the years to come. So far they have predicted ... on Mt. Etna and Mt. Nyiragongo". Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 246 (3-4): 231-240. Bibcode:2006E&PSL.246..231H. doi: ... British geologists have developed a method of predicting future eruptions of Mount Etna. They have discovered that there is a ...
Multi-component gas analyzer system
During a two year study at Mount Etna quiescent periods had CO2/SO2 ratios ... Mount Yasur, Miyake-jima and Mount Asama Japan, Soufrière Hills Montserrat, with permanent installations at Etna and Stromboli ... Multi-GAS instruments have been used to measure volcanic gases at Mount Etna, Stromboli, Vulcano Italy, Villarrica (volcano) ...
CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) "From lederhosen at Oktoberfest to Striving to Mount Etna". Retrieved 25 October 2017. ... Online Marketer of the year 2015: Young Guns - Makers of tomorrow 2015: Finalist at EY Entrepreneur of the Year 2018: Forbes 30 ... More than 5,000 participants from over 80 nations attend this event every year. Bruckschlögl also teaches at the University of ... "Die Finalisten für den „Entrepreneur Of The Year 2015" stehen fest". Archived from the original on 2016-01-25. Retrieved 25 ...
"Mount Etna , Eruptions, History, & Facts". Encyclopedia Britannica. Retrieved 7 April 2019. "Pepys' last words". The Telegraph ... His discoveries this year lead to it being referred to as his Annus mirabilis or Newton's Year of the Morning Star. Lund ... English scientist Isaac Newton builds the first reflecting telescope (Newton's reflector). March 11 - Mount Etna erupts, ... He transfuses the blood of a sheep to a 15-year-old boy (though this operation is a success, a later patient dies from the ...
March 11 - Mount Etna erupts, destroying the Sicilian town of Nicolosi. May 31 - Samuel Pepys stops writing his diary. June 22 ... the 669th year of the 2nd millennium, the 69th year of the 17th century, and the 10th and last year of the 1660s decade. As of ... 1669 (MDCLXIX) was a common year starting on Tuesday of the Gregorian calendar and a common year starting on Friday of the ... "Mount Etna , Eruptions, History, & Facts". Encyclopedia Britannica. Retrieved April 7, 2019. "Pepys' last words". The Telegraph ...
Several thousand years ago, the river bed was blocked by a lava flow from Mount Etna. As the lava was cooled much more quickly ... On its way to the sea, past the north of Mount Etna, it flows through the municipalities of Randazzo, Mojo Alcantara, ... where the Peloritani mountains end. The Alcantara River Park (Parco fluviale dell'Alcantara) was established in 2001 for the ...
Large swaths of vineyards on the slopes of Sicily's volcano Mount Etna also remain free of phylloxera. Some vines are more than ... Although phylloxera initially did not feed heavily on AxR1 roots, within twenty years, mutation and selective pressures within ... and the Andes Mountains to the east. Phylloxera has also never been found in several wine-growing regions of Australia, ... one-hundred-fifty years old, predating the phylloxera infestation in Sicily (1879-1880). Part of the reason for this is the ...
2017 wildfire season
Two were north of Mount Etna, in the suburbs of Sicilian city of Catania on the 13th. Italy's environment minister said a man ... In Canada, as of August, 7.4 million acres had burned, and British Columbia recorded its worst year for land burned since 1958 ... Record setting fires included the Lodgepole Complex Fire, the nation's largest that year; the La Tuna Fire, which was the ... About 23 wildfires raged in southern Italy on Wednesday, including on the slopes of Mount Vesuvius near Naples. ...
Contador won the ninth stage on Mount Etna, his first stage win at the Italian Grand Tour. He attacked midway through the climb ... Later in the year, Contador won the Vélo d'Or award for the best rider of the year for the second consecutive season. The Giro ... In his first year as a professional he won the eighth stage of the Tour de Pologne, an individual time trial. He deliberately ... He went on to win his second Vuelta a Castilla y León, as well as the Tour of the Basque Country by winning the opening stage ...
Some sources say Cutò was born near Mount Etna in Sicily around the town of Aci Trezza.[page needed] Other sources say he was ... For over 200 years the cafe-restaurant attracted notables in the world of arts, politics, and literature. ... 702 Marcello Messina, "The café Le Procope" in Scirocco, Year 3, Nov. / Dec. 2003, pp. 19-21 Whether or not the Procopio was an ...
E12 European long distance path
Markup sections have been created in the area surrounding Mount Etna. However, the southernmost section of the E12 path in ... Escalada y Senderismo de Castilla y Léon; Federación Extremeña de Montañismo and Federación Andaluza de Montañismo. The E12 ... The path follows the route of the Slovenian mountain trail to Hrvatini and down to Ankaran. The E12 path joins the E6 path in ...
In 1987 he left the monastic life to embrace an eremitical life at the slopes of Mount Etna. After participating to the ... In the following years he collaborated as a vocalist and as a songwriter with Battiato and with other singers, and he took part ... Camisasca is also active as an icon painter, an activity he gradually focused in later years. Album 1974 - La finestra dentro ( ...
Agatha of Sicily
The year after her death, the stilling of an eruption of Mount Etna was attributed to her intercession. As a result, apparently ... and eruptions of Mount Etna. Agatha is buried at the Badia di Sant'Agata, Catania. She is listed in the late 6th-century ... According to the 13th-century Golden Legend (III.15) by Jacobus de Voragine, fifteen-year-old Agatha, from a rich and noble ... Agatha died in prison, probably in the year 251 according to the Legenda Aurea. Although the martyrdom of Agatha is ...
John Guest (geologist)
He did research on a number of volcanoes around the World, but most notably Mount Etna in Sicily. He was the leader of the ... for the first time in over 100 years, make a geological map of it. In 1984, he was asked by the government of the United ... United Kingdom's efforts in a long-term collaboration with Italy to study the evolution of Mount Etna and, ...
Hundred Horse Chestnut
The tree's name originated from a legend in which a queen of Aragon and her company of 100 knights, during a trip to Mount Etna ... ISBN 88-365-3403-1.. Lewington, Anna; Edward Parker (2002). Ancient Trees: Trees That Live for 1,000 Years. Sterling Publishing ... Located on Linguaglossa road in Sant'Alfio, on the eastern slope of Mount Etna in Sicily - only 8 km (5.0 mi) from the ... ISBN 1-85585-974-2. The Chestnut tree of Mount Etna, detailed account of the tree, its state and its surroundings, written by ...
Huntington County Community School Corporation
Mount Etna, Roanoke, and Warren. As of the 2018-19 school year, 5,126 students attend the schools. Since fall 2012 HCCSC is a ... During the 2018-19 school year the enrollment was 640 students. It is rated a "B" school by the state of Indiana. The principal ... The school had an attendance of 297 students during the 2018-19 school year. The principal of the school is Mrs. Dawn Collins. ... As of the 2018-19 school year the enrollment was 1,459 students. The principal is Mr. Russ Degitz and the assistant principal ...
Hephaestus in popular culture
Vulcan (at his forge in Mount Etna) was visited by German adventurer Baron Munchausen in the stories of Rudolph Erich Raspe. ... The spaceship Andromeda Ascendant ended up trapped on the edge of the Event Horizon of a black hole for over 300 years. These ... In these series, his workshop is shown to have moved from Mount Aetna to Mount St. Helens. In John C. Wright's Titans of Chaos ... Hephaestus appeared in the 1997 Disney movie, Hercules and the animated series based on it, as one of the gods upon Mount ...
... from Mt. Etna, Sicily, Italy". Journal of Threatened Taxa. 12 (2): 15272-15275. doi:10.11609/jott.54220.127.116.1172-15275. Hobson ... Península, Baleares y Canarias. Barcelona: Lynx Edicions. Kurtén, B. (1965). "On the evolution of the European Wild Cat, Felis ... It was probably at least 10 years old at the time of recapture. In Western Europe, the wildcat feeds on hamsters, brown rats, ... In Germany, the Rhine is a major barrier between the population in Eifel and Hunsrück mountains west of the river and ...
Bill McGuire (volcanologist)
McGuire's main research sites are the Canary Islands, Mount Etna, and the Yellowstone National Park supervolcano in Wyoming. In ... Seven years to save the planet: The questions and the answers. Weidenfeld & Nicolson. 2008. ISBN 0297853368. Bill McGuire's ... Seven Years to Save the Planet: The Questions and Answers (2008) "Prof Bill McGuire". University College London. Archived from ... with his wife and two sons after many years in Hampton, Surrey. McGuire is regarded as a UK expert on geological disasters ...
The Death of Empedocles
... threw himself into Mount Etna. Hölderlin's main source of the story was Diogenes Laërtius's Lives and Opinions of Eminent ... The third version was published by itself in 1826, but all three did not appear in print together until 1846, three years after ... The first act sees Empedocles take leave of Agrigentum, and the second is set entirely at Etna. In the 1979 film "A Little ... "Hölderlin and Arnold: Empedocles on Etna". Comparative Literature. 17 (1): 24-42. JSTOR 1769741. Quotes from "A Little Romance ...
The Hundred Horse Chestnut in the chestnut forests on Mount Etna is the oldest living chestnut tree and is said to be even ... This recurs yearly, though the extent of the damage varies from year to year. Some species are more resistant than others. Oak ... The Chestnut tree of Mount Etna. Detailed account of the tree, its state and its surroundings, written by Wm. Rushton on June ... Hundred Horses Chestnut on Mount Etna, 57.9 m (190 ft) circumference in 1780, (64-meter circumference in 1883) Tortworth ...
In 1693 due to the earthquake felt in Sicily and Malta accompanied by the eruption of Mount Etna, the village and castle were ... In the same year Calatabiano was declared an autonomous municipality, the boundaries has been maintained until this day. Thanks ... The Loquat festival is held every year on the second Sunday of May. Muzikfest, independent music festival, takes place in the ... and completed in two years. The actual castle looks different from the original building, this is due to the numerous changes ...
List of trees and shrubs by taxonomic family
Mt. Etna hackberry Celtis africana - white stinkwood Celtis australis - European hackberry, European nettle tree, lote tree ... seven-year apple Cephalanthus - cephalanthus trees Cephalanthus occidentalis - button bush Chione Chione venosa Cinchona - ... mountain ashes and rowans Sorbus americana - American mountain ash Sorbus aria - whitebeam Sorbus aucuparia - European mountain ... Sitka mountain ash; Pacific mountain ash Sorbus torminalis - wild service tree Spiraea - spirea trees and shrubs Spiraea ...
Kingdom of the Two Sicilies
After an eight-year spell of Savoy rule in Sicily (1713-1720), the two Sicilian kingdoms once again came under the same king ... Mount Etna. Categories. Authority control. *WorldCat Identities. *VIAF: 168221750. *GND: 4041478-4 ... Eight years later, Napoleon conquered the peninsular portion of the kingdom during the War of the Third Coalition and placed ... In the year 1859, the kingdom had only 99 kilometers of rails, compared to the 800 kilometers of Piedmont. This was because the ...
MtDna and y DNA studies. According to one study, Y-Dna haplogroups were found at the following frequencies in Sicily: R1 ... Sicilian politics was intertwined with politics in Greece itself, leading Athens, for example, to mount the disastrous Sicilian ... Nowadays it is in north-west Sicily, around Palermo and Trapani, that Norman Y-DNA is the most common, with 8 to 10% of the ... Capelli, C (13 September 2005). "Population Structure in the Mediterranean Basin: A Y Chromosome Perspective". Annals of Human ...
Dorchester, New Hampshire
The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 98.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were ... just east of the summit of Smarts Mountain. Dorchester lies within two watersheds - roughly the southwestern half of town is in ...
... through the villages up to the high mountains. In the far north, there is a barren and heavily eroded mountain glacier, ... The municipality is named after the Etnefjorden (Old Norse: Eðni). The fjord is probably named after an old river name Etna ( ... The municipal council (Kommunestyre) of Etne is made up of 21 representatives that are elected to four year terms. Currently, ... "Table: 06913: Population 1 January and population changes during the calendar year (M)" (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2017-10-28. ...
Approximately 8,000 years ago, a large volcanic landslide off Mount Etna, Sicily caused a megatsunami which devastated the ... Helens, and Mount St. Helens. On May 18, 1980, the upper 400 metres (1,300 feet) of Mount St. Helens collapsed, creating a ... a b Mooney, Chris, "One of the biggest tsunamis ever recorded was set off three years ago by a melting glacier," washingtonpost ... In 1792, Mount Unzen in Japan erupted, causing part of the volcano to collapse into the sea. The landslide caused a megatsunami ...
Condomines, M; Tanguy, J; Michaud, V (1995). "Magma dynamics at Mt Etna: Constraints from U-Th-Ra-Pb radioactive disequilibria ... Barnola, J.M.; Raynaud, D.; Korotkevich, Y.S.; Lorius, C. (1987). "Vostok ice core provides 160,000-year record of atmospheric ... or 4.567 billion years ago) and the formation of the Earth at 4.54 Ga (4.54 billion years), which is the beginning of ... Martian Time Periods (Millions of Years Ago). Dating methods. Relative dating. Main article: Relative dating ...
Freedom & Etna, Wyoming. K33DS Mount Pleasant, Utah. K20MT-D Saint George, Utah. K24CY ... April 14, 1989 (1989-04-14) (31 years ago). Call sign meaning. Utah Jazz (former owner of station, Larry H. Miller, owned the ... Lake Mountains (Provo). Aspen Mountain (Rock Springs, Wyoming). Webb Hill (Saint George, Utah). ... Battle Mountain, Nevada. K42DZ-D Huntsville, Utah. K45JC Preston, Idaho. K19EW-D ...
... who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44.5 years. For every 100 females, there were 92.1 males. For every 100 ... who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 99.4 males. For every 100 ... 25.2% of all households were made up of individuals, and 13.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The ... 58 households (35.8%) were made up of individuals, and 36 (22.2%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. ...
O'Hara Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
... who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females there were 99.1 males. For every 100 ... Township of Mt. Lebanon. *Township of O'Hara. *Township of Penn Hills. *City of Philadelphia ... 19.9% of all households were made up of individuals, and 10.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The ... "RIDC O'Hara confounds its critics for 50 years", Tribune-Review, Pittsburgh, PA. ...
List of communities in California
Batto and his young daughter, Cabiria, live in a lavish estate in the shadow of Mount Etna, at Catana, on the island of Sicily ... Meanwhile, Fulvius finds time to look for Maciste and Cabiria, now prisoners for 10 years. With a combination of intimidation ... and features an eruption of Mt. Etna, heinous religious rituals in Carthage, the alpine trek of Hannibal, Archimedes' defeat of ... When the volcanic Etna erupts violently, Batto prays to the god Pluto for deliverance but receives only a brief respite before ...
Rather than being incinerated in the fires of Mount Etna, he was carried up into the heavens by a volcanic eruption. Although a ... two versions of which were written between the years 1798 and 1800. A third version was made public in 1826. In Matthew Arnold' ... Diogenes Laërtius records the legend that Empedocles died by throwing himself into Mount Etna in Sicily, so that the people ... Refer to Arnold (1852), Empedocles on Etna. *^ Inwood, Brad (2001). The poem of Empedocles : a text and translation with an ...
70-150,000 years old), Myōken-dake (25-40,000 years old), Fugen-dake (younger than 25,000 years old) and Mayu-yama (4,000 years ... Mount Unzen is part of Shimabara Peninsula, which has seen extensive volcanism over millions of years. The oldest volcanic ... The volcano rapidly grew during its first 200,000 years, forming a large cone. Later eruptions over the following 150,000 years ... sometimes three mountains) was coined in a narrow sense, but historically it is a name that refers to the entire mountain range ...
... after witnessing the devastation of the 1908 Messina earthquake near Mount Etna in Italy, he declared that something must be ... Lavas younger than 1,000 years cover 90 percent of the volcano's surface. The oldest exposed lavas date back 2,800 years. The ... "Mountain Research and Development. International Mountain Society. 26 (4): 306. doi:10.1659/0276-4741(2006)26[304:SMTAT]2.0.CO; ... "Three Mountain Alliance Management Plan December 31, 2007" (PDF). Three Mountain Alliance. Retrieved 28 August 2012.. ...
Медаль Копли - Википедия
For his Paper, entitled, An Account of a Journey to Mount Etna ... For his Papers of the year 1767, On the animal nature of the ... For the eminent services he has rendered to geological science during many years of active observation in several parts of ... For his improved Solution of a problem in Physical Astronomy, &c. printed in the Philosophical Transactions for the year 1798; ... For his work entitled Results of Astronomical Observations made during the years 1834, 1835, 1836, 1837 and 1838, at the Cape ...
... tree on Mount Etna. *^ Ancient Tree Forum Archived December 18, 2008, at the Wayback Machine. Ancient Tree Forum. ... This recurs yearly, though the extent of the damage varies from year to year. Some species are more resistant than others. ... a b The Chestnut tree of Mount Etna. Detailed account of the tree, its state and its surroundings, written by Wm. Rushton on ... The Hundred Horse Chestnut in the chestnut forests on Mount Etna is the oldest living chestnut tree and is said to be even ...
Politics of Sicily
Originally appointed by the Sicilian Regional Assembly, since 2001 de jure, he is elected by popular vote every five years ... Mount Etna. Categories. Retrieved from "https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Politics_of_Sicily&oldid=820915139#Parties_ ... The Assembly is elected for a five-year term, but, if the President suffers a vote of no confidence, resigns or dies, under the ... who is elected for a five-year term, and is currently composed by 11 members: the President and 10 regional assessors ( ...
Future eruptions may include pyroclastic flows and surges similar to those that occurred at Mount Pelée, Merapi, Vesuvius, Etna ... Each shield was apparently constructed in less than three million years, and the entire island in about eight million years.[17 ... Teide was a sacred mountain for the aboriginal Guanches, so it was considered a mythological mountain, as Mount Olympus was to ... Mountain of the Moon. Mons Pico, one of the Montes Teneriffe range of lunar mountains in the inner ring of the Mare ...
Mount Colosseum , Mount Cook , Mount Coolum , Mount Etna Caves , Mount Fox , Mount Hipypamee , Mount Jim Crow , Mount Lewis , ... Y Yungaburra , Yuwi Paree Toolkoon ... Mount Abbot , Mount Aberdeen , Mount Archer , Mount Barney , ... Mount Mackay , Mount Martin , Mount O'Connell , Mount Ossa , Mount Pinbarren , Mount Spurgeon , Mount Walsh , Mount Webb , ... Mount Windsor , Mowbray , Mudlo , Mungkan Kandju , N Nairana , Nangur , Naree Budjong Djara , Narkoola , Narrien Range , Nerang ...
... was condemned to burn for eternity inside Mount Etna. This legend was often told for the benefit of foreign travellers. ... A year later in 1531 (fully two years before Henry's marriage to Anne), Queen Catherine was banished from court and her rooms ... or 13-year-old, was not the hand of a six-year-old. [Ives - Life & Death of Anne Boleyn] ... Early years. Anne was the daughter of Thomas Boleyn, later Earl of Wiltshire and Earl of Ormond, and his wife, Lady Elizabeth ...
... roaring down mountain gorges, and hanne takes its place to designate not a mere sipu, or flowing river, but a rapid mountain ... Hernando de Soto in 1540 and others such as Henry Schoolcraft in subsequent years report the "Allegewi" were the Cherokees. ... in control and formed an alliance with the French against the incursion of British settlement across the Allegheny Mountains. ...
List of breweries in California
Etna Brewing Company in Etna. *Mt. Shasta Brewing Company in Weed ... celebrates 10 years". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 4 February 2015.. *^ a b c d e f g h i Brooks, Jay R. (September 15, ... "Figueroa Mountain Medals at GABF". brewbound.com. Bevnet. September 28, 2015. Retrieved May 11, 2017.. ... "Mountain Harvest a bright success - Plumas News". Plumas News. 2017-10-29. Retrieved 2018-07-13.. ...
... who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 28.6 years. For every 100 females, there were 98.2 males. For every 100 ... The Sierra Nevada mountains lie to the east and south, with Chico's city limits venturing several miles into the foothills. To ... For a few years the "old" mall and the "new" mall competed against one another. The North Valley Plaza Mall was dealt a blow ... The mayor is chosen by and from among the council members and serves for two years. City council meetings are on the first and ...
List of Italian dishes
8 cm diameter, 1 cm or less thick) flat bread from the Modena Appennine mountains ... it takes at least 12 years to brew the youngest Aceto Balsamico) from local grapes must (look for the essential "Tradizionale" ... or with potatoes and pancetta in the Apennine mountains ...
Megatsunami bahasa Indonesia, ensiklopedia bebas
Geografico y Catastral, 25 pp.. *Ortiz, J.R., Bonelli Rubio, J.M., 1951. La erupción del Nambroque (junio-agosto de 1949). ... Selain itu megatsunami tertinggi juga terjadi di sekitar British Columbia, gunung Etna di Sisilia, di laut Norwegia, di ... Voight, B.; Janda, R.; Glicken, H.; Douglas, P.M. (1983). "Nature and mechanics of the Mount St Helens rockslide-avalanche of ... Madrid: Talleres del Instituto Geográfico y Catastral, 100 p., 1h. pleg.;23 cm ...
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z aa ab ac ad ae af ag ah ai aj ak al am an ao ap aq ar as at au av aw ... MT. CNR Ancona. Machine gunners. 7 October 1940. 28 September 1941. 1 February 1942. Interned Port Mahon, Majorca 1943 ... a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z aa ab ac ad ae af Whitley 2000, p. 171. ...
... of Geophysics and Volcanology in Pisa indicates that a volcanic collapse of the eastern flank of Mount Etna 8,500 years ago ... It has been carbon-dated as to be between 8900 and 8300 years old. Among the features of the 10-acre site is a stone circle. ... Ehud Galili/Y. Nir, "The submerged pre-pottery Neolithic water well at Atlit-Yam, northern Israel, and its palaeoenvironmental ... Subsequent carbon dating of plant material recovered from the burial placed the age of the site at 8000 +-200 years. ...
Haplogroup T-L206 (Y-DNA)
Mountain Jews. Judeo-Tat (Southwestern Iranian). Derbentsky District. 2/17. 11.8%. . All belong to T1a1a1a1a1a1-P77 ... The bust belonging to Demeter have been analysed and is found to contains black particles of volcanic sand origin from the Etna ... "The Y-DNA Haplogroup T (former K2) Project".. *^ a b Frigi, Sabeh; et al. (2005). "Data for Y-chromosome haplotypes defined by ... Y-DNA backbone tree. Phylogenetic tree of human Y-chromosome DNA haplogroups [χ 1][χ 2] ...
Thorny problems: How can I tidy up my Mount Etna broom? - Telegraph
Mount Etna broom and a reverted Fuchsia magellanica Tricolor. ... I cut out a few last year, but the problem is getting worse. Is ... How can I tidy up my Mount Etna broom? Helen Yemm answers readers gardening questions. This week: taming a leggy Mount Etna ... My problem is a Mount Etna broom, Genista aetnensis, bought last spring reduced in a garden centre. I potted it on to a very ... Mount Etna broom is a whopper, and eventually becomes a tree with elegantly drooping branches that clothe themselves in July ...
Lava and ash spew from Italy's Mount Etna | Reuters.com
A view of the Mount Etna eruption spewing ash, as seen from Paterno, Italy, in this image obtained from social media dated ... An Italian familys year of living amid COVID A year ago, Marzio Toniolo led a simple life as a primary school teacher, husband ... Mount Etna, Europes most active volcano, spews volcanic ash as it leaps into action, seen from the village of Catania, Italy ... Mount Etna, Europes most active volcano, spews volcanic ash as it leaps into action, seen from the village of Catania, Italy ...
Mount Etna, Indiana - Wikipedia
... who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 83.3 males. For every 100 ... Mount Etna is located on State Route 124 about 20 miles (32 km) west of Bluffton. According to the 2010 census, Mount Etna has ... Mount Etna is a town in Huntington County, Indiana, United States. The population was 94 at the 2010 census. It lies at the ... Mount Etna was platted in 1839. It was an important trading point in the 19th century until the building of the railroad ...
Lava Glows Against Night Sky as Sicily's Mount Etna Erupts [Video]
Lava bubbled and glowed against the night sky at Mount Etna, following an explosive eruption from the Sicilian volcano on ... Hong Kongs TVB to air scandal-tainted actress Jacqueline Wongs series The Offliners next year. Malay Mail ... Lava bubbled and glowed against the night sky at Mount Etna, following an explosive eruption from the Sicilian volcano on ...
Search Results: '10' - British Pathé
Search Results: '1-0' in Licenceable Videos, Black & White - British Pathé
Mt. Etna Erupts After 10 Years Of Inactivity (1923). After sleeping for 10 years, the volcano Mount... ... Usa: Results Of 10 Years Research And Development (1959). THE DIVISION OF SPACE MEDICINE AT THE... ... Russia: International Economic Cooperation Bank--10 Years (1974). The meeting took place in... ...
Early Morning Eruption at Mount Etna
... captures bursts of red lava shooting into the foggy dawn sky.Distefano frequently shares footage of Mount Etna eruptions to his ... Lava and ash were seen rising from Italys Mount Etna on May 19 as the volcano erupted in the early hours of the morning.This ... video, shot by Giuseppe Distefano of Etna Walk, ... Hell be taking over from Bruno Tonioli on the panel this year. ... Distefano frequently shares footage of Mount Etna eruptions to his YouTube channel. Credit: Etna Walk via Storyful ...
Mount Etna - Wikipedia
Mount Etna is moving towards the Mediterranean Sea at an average rate of 14 mm (0.55 in) per year, the massif sliding on an ... ISBN 978-0-8047-1308-5. Mount Etna Live Webcams Mount Etna Nord Live Webcams by Linguaglossa H24 Mount Etna Regional Park ... "Mount Etna: BBC crew caught up in volcano blast". BBC News. 16 March 2017. Retrieved 16 March 2017. "Mount Etna: 4.8-magnitude ... "Italys Mt Etna erupts - WORLD News". Ken Kremer (15 January 2011). "Spectacular Eruptions of Mt. Etna in Sicily from Space and ...
Mount Etna eruption: BBC crew among at least 10 injured in 'huge explosion' - Worldnews.com
At least 10 people have been injured after several tourists and a BBC crew were caught up in an eruption at Mount Etna. A ... Etna explosion) Active volcano erupts frequently. Thousands of tourists each year visit Etna, one of the worlds most active ... Mount Etna erupts. May 21, 2016. Caught on cam: Italian volcano Mount Etna erupts in Sicil. Mount Etna erupts. May 21, 2016 ... Where is Mount Etna, why did the volcano erupt and is there live webcam footage?. MOUNT Etna is one of the most active and ...
Svitolina says best preparation on clay in years not adding to pressure
Lava Glows Against Night Sky as Sicilys Mount Etna Erupts. Storyful. *. Canadas biggest provinces seek clampdown on social ... The 26-year-old said that she had worked on her touch and movement ahead of Roland Garros, which starts on Sept. 27. ... "In the end, Im happy because it feels easier on the clay, I would say, than other years but well see. Its a good chance that ... Court rejects Johor-born womans citizenship bid; 36-year wait to be recognised as Malaysian continues. Malay Mail ...
Memorial of St. Agatha, virgin and martyr - February 05, 2018 - Liturgical Calendar | Catholic Culture
A year after her death the city of Catania was in great peril from an eruption on Mount Etna. Pagans, too, were numbered among ... Patron: Bell-founders; breast cancer; breast disease; Catania, Italy; against fire; earthquakes; eruptions of Mount Etna; fire ... crafts and recipes to help families celebrate the various Seasons and Feast Days of the year.) She also has a couple of ... The Churchs Year of Grace, Pius Parsch. ...
Satellitter måler jordskjelv / Norway / ESA in your country / ESA
Unfiltered: Sean Payton Steals a Trophy (Wine) | Wine Spectator
Mt. Etna Eruption Lights Up Sicilian Wine Country. Southern Italys famed active volcano spews ash, lava and good luck for Etna ... Nearly 20 years later, it only makes sense that now that everyones all grown-up, the Brat Pack lifetime membership card holder ... The Met kicks off a two-year tour of the sculptures that ends at the Cluny Museum in Paris before returning to Dijon. Burgundy ... The bottle arrived at Frank Jr.s home in early January-nearly 25 years after it had been sent. Frank Digorio Sr. told the ...
Mount Etna 'Smoke Rings' - Cloud Appreciation Society
A few years ago, one of our local residents, Mac Vorce, who is. also a bicycle enthusiast petitioned for the development of ... Mount Etna Smoke Rings. Cloud Appreciation Society member, Ulrike Wilkens, has drawn our attention to this news article on ... The Sicilian volcano Mount Etna spews smoke rings into the air which can be up to 200 meters in diameter. You can see the ... But as these peculiar stories go about 12,000 years ago there was a. huge shift in behavior. He had become a storm and it raged ...
Icelandic Eruption Update for 3/29/2010 - Eruptions
2001-2008 - Mount Etna, Sicily. Since the year 1600 A.D., there have been at least 60 flank eruptions and countless summit ... Some Greek or Roman two thousand years ago, after watching Etna for a couple of years would have been capable of saying the ... Sinabung and Etna updates for 8/30/2010. Classes starting today, so I have to be brief:. Unique twin ash plumes from Sinabung ... dating back hundreds of years. More recently its been erupting like clockwork every 1 or 2 years. ...
KLM Travel Guide - Climbing Mount Etna
Right behind the city of Catania, the mighty Mount Etna rises high above the green hills of Sicily. Imposing and seductive: you ... The lava flow from a few years ago has left impressive marks in the region; in some areas it even runs across roads. However, a ... The city of Catania and the Ionian Sea glisten in the distance and the mountain is surrounded by Mount Etnas protected nature ... visit is a very low-risk affair as Mount Etna is closely monitored around the clock. Mount Etna is without a doubt a must-see ...
5 Best Warm Weather Getaways in Sicily | Summers in Italy
Mount Etna, Province of Catania. Mount Etna is the tallest mountain south of the Alps and the largest active volcano in Europe ... Therefore, the volcano is an exciting place to visit at any time of the year. Some people enjoy skiing from the snow-capped ... Dont forget to bring a jacket! Despite the warm summer temperatures, the summit regions of Mount Etna are still chilly. ... a 227 square mile national park that spans across 21 picturesque Sicilian towns.Mount Etna is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The ...
'Excess Argon': The 'Archilles' Heel' of Potassium-Argon and Argon-Argon 'Dating' of Volcanic Rocks | The Institute for...
Mt. Etna basalt, Sicily (May 1964) 0.7±0.01 Ma. Medicine Lake Highlands obsidian,. Glass Mountains, California (,500 years old ... Mt. Etna basalt, Sicily (122 BC) 0.25±0.08 Ma. Mt. Etna basalt, Sicily (AD 1972) 0.35±0.14 Ma. Mt. Lassen plagioclase, ... Anorthoclase in volcanic bomb, Mt Erebus,. Antarctica (1984) 0.64±0.03 Ma. Kilauea basalt, Hawaii (,200 years old) 21±8 Ma. ... Note: Ma represents a million years (Mega-annum); Ga represents a billion years (Giga-annum).. * At time of publication, Dr ...
Stunning Photo: Mount Etna's Lava Snakes Throug...
NASAs Landsat 8 satellite snapped lava winding down Mount Etnas snowy slopes, where tourists flock to ski resorts below the ... Landsat satellites have been observing Earths land surfaces consistently for over 40 years, providing the l.... ... NASAs Landsat 8 satellite snapped lava winding down Mount Etnas snowy slopes, where tourists flock to ski resorts below the ...
Soak up la dolce vita at this outpost at the foot of Mount Etna. Over the years, Taormina has hosted famous faces from DH ... Nearly 3,000 years old, the city played its part as a powerful stronghold in the Mediterranean during ancient times. It was the ... Youll meander among 1,000-year-old olive trees and ponder Greek kingdoms before heading to your hotel, a stones throw from the ... Panoramic windows offer views of the sea, courtyards and Pellegrino Mountain.. NH Collection Taormina. Perched on a privileged ...
The Abandoned Fishing Village of Houtouwan - The Atlantic
Recent Eruptions on Mount Etna Italys Mount Etna has erupted four times in the past six days, sending ash into the sky and ... 100 Years Ago in Photos: A Look Back at 1921 A look at some of the events and sights from around the world a century ago ... Lava flows on Mount Etna, ski championships in Italy, ice-skating in the Netherlands, an image from New York Fashion Week, ... Sun, a 59-year-old former fisherman who doesnt often leave the village except for an occasional game of mahjong in the town ...
A new rift eruption at Etna? | Big Think
... www.smh.com.au/news/news/mount-etna-volcano-in-sicily-spouts-more-lava/2008/05/15/1210765009053.html,a new rift might be ... Etna (Italy) were petering out rather quickly. Instead, now it seems that there are fears that ,a href=http://http:// ... At first it seemed like the new eruptions at Mt. ... opening on Etna,/a,, which might mean more vents for lava to ... A new rift eruption at Etna?. * Over a year ago by Erik Klemetti ... At first it seemed like the new eruptions at Mt. Etna (Italy) ...
2017 wildfire season - Wikipedia
... including on the slopes of Mount Vesuvius near Naples. Two were north of Mount Etna, in the suburbs of Sicilian city of Catania ... 2017 was the most expensive firefighting year on record for the US Forest Service with over $2 billion spent. Record ... I want to see them in jail for 15 years," on July 13. 150 hectares of pine forest were destroyed in a blaze in Sicily a month ... and British Columbia recorded its worst year for land burned since 1958. The 2017 California wildfires were the most ...
WINESPECTATOR, OCT. 31, 2014: SICILY'S STAR RISES. EXPLORING THE ISLAND'S DISTINCTIVE WINES | Planeta Winery
Height of Mountain Etna: 10.991 feet. Average rainfall per year: 24 inches. Number of wineries: increased from about 150 in ... The success of this effort can be seen most clearly in the wines of Mount Etna, Europes tallest active volcano. Etna accounts ... Vineyards work their way up Mount Etnas slopes, rising to about 3,600 feet (the mountain peaks at roughly 11,000 feet of ... NORTHEAST/MOUNT ETNA: The plain along Sicilys northern coast includes some vineyard plantings, but most of the vineyards in ...
April 2003 - Scientific American
Mount Etnas Ferocious Future. Europes biggest and most active volcano is growing more dangerous. Luckily, the transformation ... In the past year scientists have been forced to reconsider how they identify life in the most ancient rocks on earth--and ... The Sudbury Neutrino Observatory has solved a 30-year-old mystery by showing that neutrinos from the sun change species en ... 50, 100 & 150 Years Ago. The Wily Flu ; Frozen Continent ; Fishy Aviation. ...
A2 Geography; Unit 1 Plate Tectonics (Mount Etna) Case Studies. - Flashcards in A Level and IB Geography
2. In what year did Mount Etna erupt causing lava to head toward the village of Zafferana?. *1990 ... Home > A Level and IB > Geography > A2 Geography; Unit 1 Plate Tectonics (Mount Etna) Case Studies. ... 3. What is Mount Etna classified as by the United Nations (UN)?. *A Decade Volcano ... 1. What is a named benefit of Mount Etnas previous eruptions?. *Fruits and other berries are not prevalent here. ...
Geology and Earth Science News, Articles, Photos, Maps and More
Mount Etna - The most active volcano in Europe continues an eruption that started in 2001. ... Moldavite is a gem material born about 15 million years ago when a pair of asteroids struck Europe. ... Mount Cleveland is an active volcano in the Aleutian Islands and a threat to air traffic. ... Tallest Mountain - Everest has rivals in tallness, altitude and distance to the center of Earth. ...
50 UNESCO natural World Heritage Sites - Houston Chronicle
Italy: Mount Etna. " Mount Etna is an iconic site encompassing 19,237 uninhabited hectares on the highest part of Mount Etna, ... The eruptive history of the volcano can be traced back 500,000 years and at least 2,700 years of this activity has been ... Italy: Mount Etna. ". Mount Etna is an iconic site encompassing 19,237 uninhabited hectares on the highest part of Mount Etna, ... Italy: Mount Etna Mount Etna is an iconic site... Photo-4995040.67493 - Houston Chronicle Image 19 of 50 , 50 UNESCO natural ...
NOAA Announcement: CO2 Concentration Surpasses 400ppm "for the first month since measurements began" | Watts Up With That?
Mount Etna emits 13±3 Tg CO2 per year, humans emit ~9 Pg carbon per year, or 3-4 orders of magnitude more…. http://www.nature. ... All what matters is that the sink rate per year, every year in the past 55 years is less than human emissions.". Trivially ... Humans emit about 4.5 ppmv/year.. The atmosphere increases with about 2.3 ppmv/year.. Net sinks are around 2.2 ppmv/year.. Thus ... All what matters is that the sink rate per year, every year in the past 55 years is less than human emissions: currently 9 GtC ...
I Dont Have Enough Faith to be an Evolutionist - Skepticism of Evolution
Mt Etna was tested 24 years later and dated at .35 million. A living water snail taken from an artesian spring in Nevada was ... Mount Ngaruuhoe from 1954 was potassium argon dated at 3.5 million years old. Another sample gave "ages" of .8 million years. A ... 10 years after the Mount Saint Helen explosion rocks were potassium argon dated at 350,000 years. Different methods gave ... Bones 30,000 years old were found lying above wood dated at 16,000 years -Ceram, 1971, p.257-259. A survey of the 15,000 radio ...
SicilyEurope'sVolcanoEruptionsItaly's Mount EtnaEruptionSlopesSicilianCataniaCraterLava flowEruptsSpewsEruptVesuviusSummitActiveEtna's0.082,000 years20172016ItalyHelensBasalt3,000 yearsRandazzoCratersVolcanoesVineyardsTaorminaExcursionImpressivePast 20 yearsPinatuboOlive-oilEarthquakesCaliforniaUnited NationsPlainRocksTouristsScientistsScenesExplosionArea1902SpectacularRecentPatternsDeadlyCloseVisitLast yearViewMilanItalian3,300
- The name Mongibel is found in Arthurian Romance, as the name of the otherworld castle (or realm) of Morgan le Fay and her half-brother, King Arthur, localised at Etna, according to traditions concerning them derived from the stories told by the Breton conteurs who accompanied the Norman occupiers of Sicily. (wikipedia.org)
- However, in Jaufre, while it is clear from her name that the fairy queen in question is Morgan le Fay, the rich underworld queendom of which she is the mistress is accessed, not through a fiery grotto on the slopes of Etna, but through a 'fountain' (i.e., a spring) - a circumstance more in keeping with Morgan's original watery, rather than fiery, associations, before her incorporation into the folklore of Sicily. (wikipedia.org)
- Mount Etna, in Sicily, Italy, has erupted again, but this recent event was considered a more violent explosion than is typical for Mount Etna. (wn.com)
- Thousands of tourists each year visit Etna, one of the world's most active volcanoes located on the eastern coast of Sicily. (wn.com)
- Right behind the city of Catania, the mighty Mount Etna rises high above the green hills of Sicily. (klm.com)
- With good main roads and four motorways, driving in Sicily is fairly easy, although smaller roads up in the mountains can be a bit tricky. (autoeurope.com)
- Rent a car in Catania to see this 10,921-foot giant is located in Eastern Sicily within Parco dell' Etna, a 227 square mile national park that spans across 21 picturesque Sicilian towns.Mount Etna is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. (autoeurope.com)
- Now that the journey around Sicily is finished, we are focusing on working better and better every year. (planeta.it)
- In the past year, I have reviewed more than 300 wines from Sicily, and a full third of the 93 outstanding wines (90 to 94 points on Wine Spectator's 100-point scale) ate from Etna. (planeta.it)
- While in Italy, he visited Sicily and painted Mount Etna. (segmation.com)
- ZAFFERANA, SICILY - Mount Etna, Europe`s most active volcano, erupted in a blast of lava and smoke early Christmas morning, triggering earth tremors that demolished a hotel and killed one man. (sun-sentinel.com)
- Mt Etna on the Island of Sicily erupts now almost daily and over the last few centuries has been responsible for the deaths of over 200,000 people. (worldatlas.com)
- Although it is probably most famous as the home of Mount Etna, the largest active volcano in Europe, Sicily has so much more to offer visitors - think fantastic food and wine, ancient temples, beautiful beaches and a bustling capital city. (luxuryretreats.com)
- Mount Etna, Europe's largest and most active volcano looms over eastern Sicily. (luxuryretreats.com)
- Attention has been drawn to regions like Vittoria and Etna for years, but as growers move ever more toward a focus on indigenous varieties and the unique differences in growing conditions throughout the island, Sicily is increasingly becoming a treasure trove of selection and price-quality opportunities for drinkers and buyers of wine. (guildsomm.com)
- Located on the east coast of Sicily, Catania is at the base of Mount Etna, which is the largest volcano in Europe. (budgetyourtrip.com)
- Sure enough, a close-up look at the fiery summit of the volcano was, for a group of 37 second-year Geography students, among the highlights of a trip to Sicily to investigate what it's like to live in one of the world's most potentially hazardous environments. (walesonline.co.uk)
- The lander was initially kept near base camp - the perfect location for carrying out repairs following its transit to Sicily and for the first tests and connection to the control room on Mount Etna. (dlr.de)
- From the very start of the narrative, the reader encounters one of the key characters in the story, Grant Mitchell, ordered to "spend two years of days, and nights too, masquerading as an emissary of American goodwill, on the island of Sicily. (readersfavorite.com)
- Mount Etna, in Sicily, is a test bed for the approximately three-foot high, four-wheeled machine ahead of a future mission to the moon. (greaterjammu.com)
- Frank is a Belgian-born winemaker whose search for the perfect terroir led him to the active volcano of Mt. Etna on the island of Sicily about 14 years ago. (krakowpost.com)
- Mount Etna, Europe's most active volcano, spews volcanic ash as it leaps into action, seen from the village of Catania, Italy February 16. (reuters.com)
- Large streams of red hot lava shoot into the night sky as Mount Etna, Europe's most active volcano, leaps into action, seen from the village of Fornazzo, in Catania, Italy, Feburary 15. (reuters.com)
- The success of this effort can be seen most clearly in the wines of Mount Etna, Europe's tallest active volcano. (planeta.it)
- For thousands of years Cirnechi have been chasing rabbits across the rocky slopes of Mount Etna, Europe's largest active volcano. (akc.org)
- A field trip to Europe's largest active volcano, Mount Etna, must have sounded like a dream come true to students at the University of Glamorgan. (walesonline.co.uk)
- This experience will give you the opportunity to get to the top of Europe's highest volcano, enjoy a unique landscape and feel the breath of the 'Muntagna' Etna. (tripadvisor.co.uk)
- Mount Etna, called the biggest natural laboratory in the world, is Europe's highest active volcano and has been active for over half a million years. (blind.org.uk)
- Lava bubbled and glowed against the night sky at Mount Etna, following an explosive eruption from the Sicilian volcano on September 24. (yahoo.com)
- After sleeping for 10 years, the volcano Mount. (britishpathe.com)
- Lava and ash were seen rising from Italy's Mount Etna on May 19 as the volcano erupted in the early hours of the morning. (yahoo.com)
- Due to its history of recent activity and nearby population, Mount Etna has been designated a Decade Volcano by the United Nations. (wikipedia.org)
- Where is Mount Etna, why did the volcano erupt and is there live webcam footage? (wn.com)
- Now, however, the volcano is back at it again: Etna began to erupt on February 27. (wn.com)
- The Sicilian volcano Mount Etna spews 'smoke rings' into the air which can be up to 200 meters in diameter. (cloudappreciationsociety.org)
- The east and north side of the volcano are much greener and covered by forest and vineyards: the grapes thrive in the fertile volcanic soil and make the delicious DOC Etna wine. (klm.com)
- Mount Etna is the tallest mountain south of the Alps and the largest active volcano in Europe. (autoeurope.com)
- Therefore, the volcano is an exciting place to visit at any time of the year. (autoeurope.com)
- Mount Cleveland is an active volcano in the Aleutian Islands and a threat to air traffic. (geology.com)
- He and McAfee commended Matthew Arnold's 1852 verse drama 'Empedocles on Etna' for its descriptions of the volcano smouldering in the distance. (spectator.co.uk)
- With stripes of snow up its sides and the occasional plume of smoke coming from its crater, Etna looks from a distance as though it might not be real, but in fact, the volcano erupts around three times per year on average. (luxuryretreats.com)
- Indeed, many producers must solve for heat, particularly those at sea level, but elevations on the island rise up to Mt. Etna's peak at 10,991 feet, with plantings as high as 3,300 feet on the volcano. (guildsomm.com)
- The trip climaxed with a visit to the Aeolian island of Stromboli, home to Europe's most active volcano - one that has been in almost continuous eruption for nearly 2,000 years - and location for the famous 1950 Ingrid Bergman film of the same name. (walesonline.co.uk)
- Some said it was related to the static electricity generated by the railway nearby, while others said that the fault lay with the Etna volcano and its magnetic field . (listverse.com)
- The summit area of the Etna volcano is characterized by the presence of 5 distinct craters. (tripadvisor.co.uk)
- The Concert project also involved conducting short measurement flights over the Italian volcano Mount Etna, which was mildly active shortly before the flight on 29 September 2011. (dlr.de)
- The most lethal eruption of the 20th century was Mt. Pelée in Martinique, when, during 1902, the lava dome collapsed, precipitating a deadly pyroclastic flow of hot rocks, ash and gas down the flanks of the volcano into the principal town, St. Pierre, thereby killing all but two of the ≈28,000 inhabitants. (mdpi.com)
- 2001 ). The youngest, Misti 4, forms the current summit of the volcano and has erupted at least ten times since 11,000 years. (springer.com)
- Distefano frequently shares footage of Mount Etna eruptions to his YouTube channel . (yahoo.com)
- Eruptions of Etna follow multiple patterns. (wikipedia.org)
- At first it seemed like the new eruptions at Mt. Etna (Italy) were petering out rather quickly. (bigthink.com)
- 1. What is a named benefit of Mount Etna's previous eruptions? (getrevising.co.uk)
- Now, however, scientists are able to record changes in the earth's temperature, climate and ozone layer probably resulting from eruptions such as those in 1991 by Mt Pinatubo in the Philippines and Mt Hudson in Chile. (org.in)
- Recent studies also suggest volcanic eruptions are largely responsible for annual climatic changes in the northern hemisphere over thousands of years. (org.in)
- Now, using atmospheric computer models and satellite observations, scientists predict a consequence of the eruptions of Mt Pinatubo and the smaller Mt Hudson is that the earth will cool substantially over the next three years. (org.in)
- The last two hundred years have witnessed a number of spectacular eruptions, foremost among which was Tambora in Indonesia during 1815, which ejected 50 cubic kilometres of magma, resulting in over 71,000 fatalities in the immediately impacted region as a consequence of the blast itself, and the subsequent ash fall, which smothered and contaminated crops and water supplies, leading to starvation and disease [ Oppenheimer, 2003 ]. (mdpi.com)
Italy's Mount Etna1
- Italy's Mount Etna has erupted four times in the past six days, sending ash into the sky and lava down its slopes. (theatlantic.com)
- A view of the Mount Etna eruption spewing ash, as seen from Paterno, Italy, in this image obtained from social media dated February 16. (reuters.com)
- A woman walks her dog in the aftermath of an impressive Mount Etna volcanic eruption in Catania, Italy, February 17. (reuters.com)
- At least 10 people have been injured after several tourists and a BBC crew were caught up in an eruption at Mount Etna . (wn.com)
- Although it has been quiet for much of 2015, Etna produced a spectacular but brief eruption last night. (wn.com)
- Authorities limited access to riskier areas on Mount Etna following a deadly eruption in 1979 that killed nine tourists who were standing at the volcano's rim. (wn.com)
- An eruption of Mount Etna recently caught out some BBC journalists who were filming there. (wn.com)
- A new rift eruption at Etna? (bigthink.com)
- Pick-up at meeting point - Arrive at Rifugio Sapienza at 1900mt - The ascent is by cable car and jeep up to 2900 mt (Torre del Filosofo), from there on foot towards the crater formed during the eruption of 2001. (tripadvisor.co.uk)
- The evidence shows about 73,500 years ago, an eruption in Sumatra sent massive amounts of volcanic material shooting 25 km into the air, reducing sunlight levels for years and cooling the northern hemisphere by 3-5o C. US scientists M R Rampino and S Self note, "This 'volcanic winter' may have accelerated the onset of the last great Ice Age. (org.in)
- Other studies indicate the 1815 volcanic eruption in Tambora, Indonesia, ushered in a "year without summer" in North America and Europe. (org.in)
- After the Mt Pinatubo eruption in June 1991, for instance, satellites detected volcanic material at altitudes upto 40 km. (org.in)
- 2001 ). The last plinian eruption occurred ca 2050 years ago and produced a widely dispersed pumice-fall deposit extending ≥25 km from the vent (Thouret et al. (springer.com)
- The fertile volcanic soils support extensive agriculture, with vineyards and orchards spread across the lower slopes of the mountain and the broad Plain of Catania to the south. (wikipedia.org)
- NASA's Landsat 8 satellite snapped lava winding down Mount Etna's snowy slopes, where tourists flock to ski resorts below the volcano's belching craters. (scoop.it)
-  About 23 wildfires raged in southern Italy on Wednesday, including on the slopes of Mount Vesuvius near Naples. (wikipedia.org)
- The powerful tremors demolished the one-story Birches hotel on Mount Etna`s lower slopes and killed Carmelo Di Stefano, a 34-year-old Sicilian who was trying to lead his wife, baby son and sister-in-law to safety. (sun-sentinel.com)
- As a result, harvest can range from August along the Sicilian Channel (from Trapani to Noto), into October and even November in cold vintages up in the highest plantings of Mt. Etna's northern slopes. (guildsomm.com)
- have a go at 4x4 driving on the slopes of Mount Etna, visit an olive grove to harvest and make your own olive oil and, if you are feeling really adventurous, take a five day Scuba diving course. (blind.org.uk)
- What were originally Welsh conceptions concerning a dwarf king of a paradisal, Celtic underworld became attached to the quasi-historic figure of Arthur as "Ruler of the Antipodes" and were then transplanted into a Sicilian milieu, by Bretons impressed by the already otherworldly associations of the great, volcanic mountain of their new home. (wikipedia.org)
- Two were north of Mount Etna, in the suburbs of Sicilian city of Catania on the 13th. (wikipedia.org)
- From the city of Catania, Mount Etna is an easy trip. (klm.com)
- The city of Catania and the Ionian Sea glisten in the distance and the mountain is surrounded by Mount Etna's protected nature reserve. (klm.com)
- The villa, known as the Casa Cuseni, overlooks Mount Etna and the Catania coastline. (spectator.co.uk)
- On the map, Mount Etna spreads out from Catania in a huge expanse of brown like a skin disease. (spectator.co.uk)
- A rustic farmhouse with eight antiques-filled rooms, set in an orange grove on the fertile Catania Plain, facing Mount Etna. (travelandleisure.com)
- In the area of Mt Etna, the agriturismo boasts a view of vineyards and the gulf of Catania and has a garden with a 100-year-old Lebanon cedar. (agriturismo.it)
- Unfortunately Etna was very active on our visit so it was impossible to visit the crater rim, but getting up to 2900 meters was really cool and allowed an excellent view of Etna spitting rocks and smoke. (tripadvisor.co.uk)
- After demonstrating the approach on a basaltic lava flow (Mt. Etna 2001), we apply it to the 2011-2012 Cordón Caulle rhyolite lava flow, where unprecedented observations and syn-emplacement satellite imagery of an advancing silica-rich lava flow have indicated an important influence from the lava flow's crust on flow emplacement. (frontiersin.org)
- Highly similar behavior occurred in the 2001 Etna basaltic lava flow. (frontiersin.org)
- Mount Etna erupts. (wn.com)
- Mount Etna has been active for the past two days, creating a visual spectacle as it spews lava and ash into the air. (wn.com)
- This makes it by far the largest of the three active volcanoes in Italy, being about two and a half times the height of the next largest, Mount Vesuvius. (wikipedia.org)
- If someone set fire to Vesuvius, I want to see them in jail for 15 years," on July 13. (wikipedia.org)
- It was here in 79 AD, that Mt. Vesuvius erupted burying thousands in its wake at Herculanium and Pompeii to the southeast of Naples. (worldatlas.com)
- Despite the warm summer temperatures, the summit regions of Mount Etna are still chilly. (autoeurope.com)
- this year we travelled from the base of the Matterhorn to the summit of Mount Etna, under human power. (virgin.com)
- He has accumulated a multitude of priceless experiences in Italy to date: racing across the Bay of Naples at about 30 knots in Giovanni Soldini's trimaran, sledding with huskies by the Slovenian border, skiing the summit of Mount Etna hours before it erupted, celebrating Easter with friends in the Maremma. (indiebound.org)
- It was cold and windy at 2900 so even if allowed I think the 3300 mt visit to the summit with my kids (very fit and active 11, 8 years) would have been a bit much. (tripadvisor.co.uk)
- the storms of more than five hundred years have scarcely displaced a stone from the summit, and the whole surface is almost without a flaw. (google.co.in)
- Mount Etna is one of the world's most active volcanoes and is in an almost constant state of activity. (wikipedia.org)
- MOUNT Etna is one of the most active and destructive volcanoes in the world - having wiped out entire villages after shooting lava and ash hundreds of feet into the air. (wn.com)
- In order to channel the work within IGCP 499 which covers a wide range of disciplines and areas we have established different regional and local working groups which have been very active within the past two years (e.g., see list of publications). (senckenberg.de)
- Stunning Photo: Mount Etna's Lava Snakes Throug. (scoop.it)
- Vinified from two parcels trained in Sicily's bush-vine style, known as alberello, these 130-year-old vines are located within the Calderara Sottana contrada (Etna's local term for a cru or single vineyard). (planeta.it)
- I am standing on one of Mt. Etna's recent lava domes. (worldatlas.com)
- Mt. Etna's extremely variable climate results in broad vintage variations, and 2012 produced wines of incredible concentration. (krakowpost.com)
- According to the 2010 census, Mount Etna has a total area of 0.08 square miles (0.21 km2), all land. (wikipedia.org)
- 2017 was the most expensive firefighting year on record for the US Forest Service with over $2 billion spent. (wikipedia.org)
- 10/2017) 91 points Robert Parker's Wine Advocate: 'Made with a blend of 70% Carricante and 30% Catarratto, the 2016 Etna Bianco is a wine that invites easy (and happy) drinking. (klwines.com)
- Born 93 years ago in Porto Empedocle in the Mafia-riven province of Agrigento, Camilleri is easily the most successful author in Italy and a biological miracle, frankly, to have survived so long on his 80 cigarettes a day. (spectator.co.uk)
- Volume flow rate estimation for small explosions at Mt. Etna, Italy, from acoustic waveform inversion. (findaphd.com)
- The race didn't travel there this year, but he headed to Italy determined to try to win another stage and target the overall. (velonation.com)
- Italy: Mount Etna erupted spewing a column of hot ash high into the sky. (livingcosmos.com)
- I also recall that Mark Shepard, in Restoration Agriculture, cited the Hundred Horse Tree, a 4,000 year old chestnut, that grows on bare rock on the eastern flank of Mt. Etna in Italy. (permies.com)
- Is this dating failure from Mount St Helens an isolated case of radioisotope dating giving wrong results for rocks of known age? (answersingenesis.org)
- 13,000 year old) basalt was greater than 110 Ma. (icr.org)
- When dated by the rubidium-strontium isochron method, the Cardenas Basalt yielded an age of 1.07 billion years. (answersingenesis.org)
- Mount Etna is very close to being a substitute Moon for the planetary researchers of the ROBEX project - it is here that they find volcanic basalt in quantities similar to those of the constituents of the lunar soil. (dlr.de)
- This coastal wetland and nature reserve is home to 3,000 years of sea salt harvests. (autoeurope.com)
- Nearly 3,000 years old, the city played its part as a powerful stronghold in the Mediterranean during ancient times. (telegraph.co.uk)
- The breathtaking Mediterranean setting encompasses a rich history of more than 3,000 years - a vast museum in itself of the civilistions of the past - a museum where sensational sensory experiences come to life. (blind.org.uk)
- Giovanni La Fauci's winery is located in Randazzo on Mount Etna and uses only the finest quality local varieties: Nerello Mascalese and Nerello Cappuccio. (klwines.com)
- Today, the name Mongibello is used for the area of Mount Etna containing the two central craters, and the craters located southeast and northeast of the volcanic cone. (wikipedia.org)
- The Elton John AIDS Foundation annual Academy Awards viewing party and gala dinner in Hollywood will have Sterling Vineyards wines on hand for the fourth consecutive year. (winespectator.com)
- More recently, Planeta moved to Mount Etna, purchasing and developing the Feudo di Mezzo estate in some of the highest-altitude vineyards on the mountain, where its premium red, a Nerello Mascalese, and a white made from Carricante with 10 percent Riesling, are labeled Eruzione 1614. (planeta.it)
- In the mountains above Palermo, vineyards are found as high as 2,100 feet. (guildsomm.com)
- Helmets and caving lights are provided by our guides) - A pleasure interlude at an beekeeping family-run business and its honey-extracting lab to taste a selection of honey, wines, olive oil and other typical Etna produce - Return and drop off at meeting point The cost of the Cable Car + Jeep is excluded from the price of the excursion. (tripadvisor.co.uk)
- A one day full excursion is organised to visit Etna, which includes the option of a 4x4 driving session adapted for the visually impaired. (blind.org.uk)
- Etna was bleakly impressive that June day. (spectator.co.uk)
Past 20 years2
- No one has done more in the past 20 years than the Planeta family to explore Sicily's wine potential and diversity. (planeta.it)
- Your expert opinions and initiatives have a practical input into the work of the Arctic Council as well, which for the past 20 years has served as a good example of effective international cooperation that is not dependent on developments on the international stage. (cnbc.com)
- At Mt Pinatubo, the sulphate particles were concentrated initially over the tropics, and then spread within months from the southern to the northern hemisphere. (org.in)
- After lying dormant for 635 years, Mt Pinatubo pumped 15-30 million metric tonnes of sulphur dioxide and other material into the stratosphere -- the maximum volcanic emission this century. (org.in)
- The Mt Pinatubo-induced cooling -- a dramatic 0.5o C drop in temperature -- is expected to begin this summer and continue till 1994. (org.in)
- Everything from the olive-oil soaps to the pasta (prepared by a Tunisian chef and served poolside) is produced on or around this 300-year-old estate. (travelandleisure.com)
- Last year, researchers at UC Davis tested 124 different samples from eight major brands of extra-virgin olive oil. (foodrenegade.com)
- Parent company Diageo is a longtime sponsor of the non-profit organization, and this year is offering the California winery's SVR 2006 and the Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc 2008. (winespectator.com)
- The El Mayor Cucapah earthquake happened along a system of faults that run from Southern California into Mexico, cutting through the Cucapah mountain range and across the Colorado River delta. (phys.org)
- 3. What is Mount Etna classified as by the United Nations (UN)? (getrevising.co.uk)
- Around 75% of the staggering 70 million bottles produced every year is generic DOC, which is to Soave Classico what Petit Chablis is to premier and grand cru: technically well made but ultimately rather plain. (decanter.com)
- For more than three decades potassium-argon (K-Ar) and argon-argon (Ar-Ar) dating of rocks has been crucial in underpinning the billions of years for Earth history claimed by evolutionists. (icr.org)
- Xu Yueding and his wife Tang Yaxue, who left the village over 20 years ago, come back every day to their former house to welcome visiting tourists and sell them bottles of water, the only thing available to buy in the village. (theatlantic.com)
- Challenge to Scientists: Does Your Ten-Year-Old Code Still Run? (acm.org)
- Ahrens, another leading worker in this field, gives a list of different determinations of the half-life of rubidium as made by various scientists, showing a variation all the way from 48 to 120 billion years. (biblestudymanuals.net)
- Italian scientists say geological evidence suggests a giant tsunami resulted from the collapse of the eastern flanks of Mount Etna nearly 8,000 years ago. (phys.org)
- This is because twenty years ago scientists theorized Greenland ice core CO 2 data was unreliable since CO 2 trapped in air bubbles had potentially been altered by in-situ chemical reactions. (wattsupwiththat.com)
- Describing the hair-raising scenes on top of Etna, Dr Simon Jones of the University of Glamorgan said: 'We were metres from streams of red-hot lava and could almost feel our eyelashes singeing at times, but it was a truly awe-inspiring experience. (walesonline.co.uk)
- Etna covers an area of 1,190 km2 (459 sq mi) with a basal circumference of 140 km (87 miles). (wikipedia.org)
- I headed up to the Lake Thompson area in Kingsbury County, South Dakota, to shoot gulls, terns, shorebirds, herons, egrets…all the wonderful water-loving birds you find up there this time of year. (sdakotabirds.com)
- In 1902, Mt Pelee in the West Indies erupted, destroying the city of St Pierre and its 30,000 inhabitants. (org.in)
- The ravages of two world wars in its home region of northern France nearly drove the Berger into extinction, and they are still rare today, but the breed has made a spectacular comeback in recent years. (akc.org)
- up to 22 million years for lavas deduced to be recent. (biblestudymanuals.net)
- In recent years, however, the NRQZ has been a safe haven for sufferers of electromagnetic hypersensitivity (EHS), which is not currently recognized as a medical. (slavista.net)
- This is part III in the trilogy on dating Y-chromosome Most Recent Common Ancestors (Y-MRCAs) using microsatellite variation. (blogspot.com)
- In recent years he has been self-employed as a business development consultant. (golf.co.nz)
- While he has always had a strong participation in a variety of sports it is his passion for golf that has taken precedence in recent years. (golf.co.nz)
- Even two years after a flare-up, weather patterns in distant places can be affected. (org.in)
- In Greek mythology, the deadly monster Typhon was trapped under this mountain by Zeus, the god of the sky and thunder and king of gods, and the forges of Hephaestus were said also to be underneath it. (wikipedia.org)
- After plodding along, tightening our belts, and keeping our collective noses to the grindstone, the current year of the Ox will be coming to a close in February. (blogspot.com)
- I cut out a few last year, but the problem is getting worse. (telegraph.co.uk)
- If you're attending this year's Meet The Breeds presented by Purina® Pro Plan® don't miss the Bergamasco booth, which was awarded Best Booth In Show last year . (akc.org)
- The user friendly varietal outsold Chardonnay in the US last year and has become Italy's biggest selling wine in Britain. (decanter.com)
- After reading these news stories last year, I was utterly intrigued when Tom Mueller's tell all book finally came out. (foodrenegade.com)
- I´m very disappointed I won´t be able to stand up for my victory of last year, but I prefer to follow the doctor´s suggestions: the best thing to do in this moment is to keep on take medicines and keep on training till next week. (velonation.com)
- But last year too, on one rock-hunting trip, the air was so bad that my eyes were watering and I started wheezing a bit. (sdakotabirds.com)
- My husband and I fell in love, in part, over discussions of the semicolon, a woman told me last year. (publishersweekly.com)
- One view is that the word Etna is from the Greek αἴθω (aithō), meaning "I burn", through an iotacist pronunciation. (wikipedia.org)
- Soaring mountains, charming lakeside villages, and stunning scenery make this a must-see when visiting Milan. (hubpages.com)
- For years he worked in Milan as an editor at a national English-language newspaper, a joint venture between Corierre della Sera and the International Herald Tribune . (indiebound.org)
- citation needed] Another theory is that Mongibello came from the Italian word monte plus the Arabic word jabal, both meaning "mountain. (wikipedia.org)
- That's the year that more than 400 Italian police officers conducted a lengthy investigation dubbed "Operation Golden Oil" which led to the arrest of 23 people and the confiscation of 85 farms. (foodrenegade.com)
- The fascinating city of Palermo brings together Byzantine, Arabesque and, of course, Italian influences, which is a testament to its 2,700 years of history. (luxuryretreats.com)
- Over the years, John has become an expert on Italian society. (indiebound.org)
- A detailed analysis of sediments from the island of Bonaire in the Caribbean presents convincing evidence for an extraordinary wave impact dating back some 3,300 years, even though no historical records of tsunamis exist for this island. (phys.org)
- Their analyses showed that the sediments had criteria typically linked with tsunami deposits, consistent with a tsunami with a maximum age of 3,300 years. (phys.org)