A genus of Old World monkeys, subfamily COLOBINAE, family CERCOPITHECIDAE, that inhabits the forests of Africa. It consists of eight species: C. angolensis (Angolan colobus), C. badius or C. rufomitratus (Red or Bay colobus), C. guereza (Guereza or Eastern black-and-white colobus), C. kirkii (Kirk's colobus), C. polykomos (King colobus or Western black-and-white colobus), C. satanas (Black colobus), and C. verus (Olive colobus). Some authors recognize Procolobus as a separate genus and then the olive colobus is recognized as the species P. verus.
A subfamily of the Old World monkeys, CERCOPITHECIDAE, that inhabits the forests of Africa and Asia. The genera COLOBUS (Procolobus; colobus), Nasalis (proboscis monkey), Presbytis (Semnopithecus; leaf monkey), Pygathrix (Rhinopithecus; snub-nosed monkey), and Simias (pig-tailed langur) all belong to this subfamily.
The class Insecta, in the phylum ARTHROPODA, whose members are characterized by division into three parts: head, thorax, and abdomen. They are the dominant group of animals on earth; several hundred thousand different kinds having been described. Three orders, HEMIPTERA; DIPTERA; and SIPHONAPTERA; are of medical interest in that they cause disease in humans and animals. (From Borror et al., An Introduction to the Study of Insects, 4th ed, p1)
A plant genus in the family BERBERIDACEAE. The common names of Barberry or Oregon Grape are also used for MAHONIA. The similar-named Bayberry is the unrelated MYRICA. Oregon Grape was classified by Pursh as a Berberis but Nuttall claimed it is different enough to call it a new genus, MAHONIA. Botanists insist on this name while horticulturists stay with Mahonia. They are shrubs with yellow wood and usually three-branched spines at the base of leafstalks. Flowers are yellow, six-petaled and fruit is a berry with one to several seeds. Members contain BERBERINE.
Genome-Wide Association Study
Amplified Fragment Length Polymorphism Analysis
Proto-Oncogene Proteins c-kit
A protein-tyrosine kinase receptor that is specific for STEM CELL FACTOR. This interaction is crucial for the development of hematopoietic, gonadal, and pigment stem cells. Genetic mutations that disrupt the expression of PROTO-ONCOGENE PROTEINS C-KIT are associated with PIEBALDISM, while overexpression or constitutive activation of the c-kit protein-tyrosine kinase is associated with tumorigenesis.
Encyclopedias as Topic
Plant cell inclusion bodies that contain the photosynthetic pigment CHLOROPHYLL, which is associated with the membrane of THYLAKOIDS. Chloroplasts occur in cells of leaves and young stems of plants. They are also found in some forms of PHYTOPLANKTON such as HAPTOPHYTA; DINOFLAGELLATES; DIATOMS; and CRYPTOPHYTA.
A phylum of the kingdom Metazoa. Mollusca have soft, unsegmented bodies with an anterior head, a dorsal visceral mass, and a ventral foot. Most are encased in a protective calcareous shell. It includes the classes GASTROPODA; BIVALVIA; CEPHALOPODA; Aplacophora; Scaphopoda; Polyplacophora; and Monoplacophora.
A phylum of photosynthetic EUKARYOTA bearing double membrane-bound plastids containing chlorophyll a and b. They comprise the classical green algae, and represent over 7000 species that live in a variety of primarily aquatic habitats. Only about ten percent are marine species, most live in freshwater.
Tooth Preparation, Prosthodontic
The selected form given to a natural tooth when it is reduced by instrumentation to receive a prosthesis (e.g., artificial crown or a retainer for a fixed or removable prosthesis). The selection of the form is guided by clinical circumstances and physical properties of the materials that make up the prosthesis. (Boucher's Clinical Dental Terminology, 4th ed, p239)
A plant species of the genus VICIA, family FABACEAE. The edible beans are well known but they cause FAVISM in some individuals with GLUCOSEPHOSPHATE DEHYDROGENASE DEFICIENCY. This plant contains vicine, convicine, Vicia lectins, unknown seed protein, AAP2 transport protein, and Vicia faba DNA-binding protein 1.
The forewings are reddish brown with stripes of silver scales. The hindwings are greyish brown, but greyish white at the costal ... tortricidae.com Liu Y.-q., 1987: A study of chinese Archips Hübner,1822 (Lepidoptera:Tortricidae). Sinozoologia 5: 125-146. ...
The carapace is brown with a black central stripe. The abdomen is striped brown and white. It builds a hammock-shaped web among ... Preston-Mafham, Ken (1998). Spiders: Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Angus Books. ISBN 978-1-904594-93-2. v t e. ...
The abdomen is white with yellow-green sides with black stripes separating the white from the coloured flanks. Another black ... Preston-Mafham, Ken (1998). Spiders: Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Angus Books. ISBN 978-1-904594-93-2. Platnick, Norman ... Leucauge celebesiana, commonly called the black-striped orchard spider, is a species of spider belonging to the family ... stripe runs right down the middle. This species constructs a web inclined at 45° and several individuals often build these webs ...
The cause of the variability of the anole has been the subject of much study. Its morphological traits vary independently from ... It has a light tan to yellow ground color, with varying white spots that are typically indistinct. Lateral dark splotches are ... Females and juveniles may additionally have lateral streaks or mid-dorsal stripes. ... Anoles in the Caribbean have been extensively studied as "one of the best known cases of adaptive radiation." Schneider et al. ...
A study in the October 1998 Journal of Urology, for example, concluded that underwear type is unlikely to have a significant ... Boxer shorts got a fashion boost in 1985 when English model and musician Nick Kamen stripped to white Sunspel boxers in a 1950s ... plaids and vertical stripes. Additionally, there are innumerable "novelty" boxer short patterns. Boxer shorts are produced ... Some studies have suggested that tight underpants and high temperature are not optimally conductive for sperm production. The ...
In one study, the highest dimorphism was found in skull weight. Another study concluded that the length of the breeding season ... The Swayne's hartebeest is a rich chocolate brown with fine spots of white that are actually the white tips of its hairs. Its ... The large Lelwel hartebeest has dark stripes on the front of its legs. Coke's hartebeest is moderately large, with a shorter ... A study found that the hartebeest is able to digest a higher proportion of food than the topi and the wildebeest. In areas with ...
The wide abdomen is boldly striped black and light brown. This species is most similar to the widespread Neon minutus but the ... The whole carapace is densely covered with white hair. The legs are light brown with black patches and large, prominent spines ... Zoological Studies. 41 (4): 403-411. v t e. ...
It has dull cream underparts with a pale midventral stripe. It has a brownish head and rump, with short, white whiskers. A ... to honor his contribution to the study of neotropical mammals. The opossum is medium-sized and robust. It has short dorsal fur ...
A 2014 computer study of zebra stripes found that the motion signals made by zebra stripes give out misleading information and ... The quagga had brown and white stripes on the head and neck, brown upper parts and a white belly, tail and legs. The function ... A study from 2015 determined that environmental temperature is a strong predictor for zebra striping patterns. Another study ... Zebras are easily recognised by their bold black-and-white striping patterns. The belly and legs are white when unstriped, but ...
The tail is white with orange yellow lines and black spots, edged with blue. The sides of the foot bear yellow stripes." This ... "American Opisthobranch Mollusks." Studies in Tropical Oceanography 6:1967 pp. 62-64, figs. 76-79, pl. 1, fig. 2. Bouchet, P.; ... The margin of the notum is white, indistinctly set off from the blue ground color, containing black spots of different size, ... Dark blue in color with a series of yellow longitudinal lines, it exhibits purple-blue rhinophores and opaque white branchial ...
Israeli Naval Academy
... the Epaulettes are dark blue with two white stripes. This stage lasts about nine months and consists of academic studies at ... At this point, and during the rest of the course the students wear a beret with a white stripe around the edge, and a white ... During this phase, the Epaulettes are dark blue with a golden anchor pin above two white stripes. The end of this phase marks ... During this phase, the Epaulettes are dark blue with a golden anchor pin above a white stripe. Internship phase This stage ...
Corps Franconia Darmstadt
Corps Franconia's members wear the traditional colour, coloured stripes, in black/ white/ lime-green. The fraternity teaches ... Membership in the fraternity is open to men studying at one of Darmstadt's universities such as TU Darmstadt and University of ... In the middle there are the old colors of the Academic Cycling Club (white and green with golden edge). The coat of arms in the ... A Fuchs typically wears a two-colored ribbon in black and white. Headgear and the traditional suit Pekesche is made from black ...
... including alternate white and green striping and blue stripes alternating with copper. The final coloration was determined by ... studies of shadow-sunlight intervals based on firing time, trajectory, orbit, and inclination. Play media The Explorer 1 ... The external skin of the instrument section was sandblasted stainless steel with white stripes. Several other color schemes had ...
Bidya Bharati Girls' High School
The secondary section wears white shirts with tunics and ties. The Higher Secondary section wears Red striped Blouse and Maroon ... vi) Carry out my daily routine of studies gladly, honestly and sincerely. (vii) Observe politeness and truthfulness in my ... Uniforms of classes Nursery to KG-II consist of a White dress with Pink piping, two pockets and a red tie. Uniforms of Primary ... Students may choose to study Science (Physics, chemistry, Mathematics/Biology/Economics.), Commerce (Accounts, Commerce, ...
This strategy has varying effects on the capture environment of yellow striped spiders versus the white striped spiders. Yellow ... However, other studies have shown that the orientation of stripes is significant. Thermoregulation of Gasteracantha fornicata ... the yellow stripes stand out the most when compared to other colors in the environment). White striped spiders best capture ... with yellow or white stripes contrasting its dark-colored body. It has small yellow or white spots along the ventral side. This ...
A 1969 study noted that this civet showed enough differences from the rest of the viverrines in terms of dentition to be ... The stripes, spots, and blotches are deep brown to black. Horizontal lines are prominent on the hind limbs, spots are normally ... It is a solitary mammal with a unique coloration: the black and white blotches covering its coarse pelage and rings on the tail ... A 2006 phylogenetic study showed that the African civet is closely related to the genus Viverra. It was estimated that the ...
Holy Cross Senior Secondary School Kapa
On days when students have Physical Training in school, they wear white canvas sport shoes. The school tie is dark brown with ... but may choose to study either Science (Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Biology/Computer Science) or Commerce (Commerce, Accounts ... two slanting stripes of color of house. Students follow either the CBSE or Madhyamik curriculum till class 12, however, they ... The pre-primary school uniform is shirts with red and white checks and for primary-secondary school students beige shirt with ...
These crossings were later painted in black and white stripes, thus are known as zebra crossings. Legally, pedestrians have ... In December 1941 a study was made into the cost effectiveness of melting down the 64,000 Belisha beacon posts, to make ... The clearly illuminated white sections announce the presence of the poles carrying the amber beacons, increasing the visibility ... A Belisha beacon /bəˈliːʃə/ is an amber-coloured globe lamp atop a tall black and white pole, marking pedestrian crossings of ...
White springbok, as the name suggests, are predominantly white with a light tan stripe on the flanks. The three springbok ... Another study calculated that the time spent in vigilance by springbok on the edges of herds is roughly double that spent by ... The stripe near the rump is well-marked, and that on the flanks is deep brown. The forehead is brown, fawn, or white, the patch ... Dark stripes extend across the white face, from the corner of the eyes to the mouth. A dark patch marks the forehead. In ...
Missionaries of Charity
... and white saris without the three blue stripes. In the first year (called canonical), they undertake more religious study and ... In the sixth year, they travel to Rome, Kolkata or Washington D.C. for "Tertianship", further religious study, at the end of ... They also receive a metal crucifix and a sari whose three blue stripes stand for their vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience ... It is followed by Postulancy (introduction into the study of Scripture, the Constitutions of the Society, Church history, and ...
Choco broad-nosed bat
A morphological study suggested that it may be the most basal (earliest offshoot) of its genus, however, another study using ... They have dark facial stripes. Their ears have well-defined folds. They have narrow dorsal stripes. Individual dorsal hairs are ... DNA suggested that the Platyrrhinus of the Chocó region diverged from Platyrrhinus of the Amazonian Craton, and that the white- ...
Rufous-bellied mountain tanager
There is a long white stripe over the eye. The bill is gray except that the base of the lower mandible is flesh-colored. ... These results were confirmed by a comprehensive molecular study of the tanagers published in 2014. Rather than placing the " ... A molecular phylogenetic study published in 2007 found that the genus Saltator belonged in the tanager family Thraupidae rather ...
He has blonde hair and wears a shirt with green and white stripes and wears red glasses. He often hangs out with BG in the ... She's studying at college but she loves to spend time with the kids. She especially likes dancing with BG, who has learned a ... She wears her curly blonde hair in a low ponytail with a white hair tie, an orange-red shirt with a white collar, a green and ... Gad is a science whiz, loves studying and inventing things. He lives with his grandmother and father, who owns a local grocery ...
It has a black cheek patch below its eye with a white stripe above. While the speckled hummingbird is the only species in its ... Recent study of this genus, based on molecular, morphological and ecological data recovered six monophyletic clades which show ... Relationships with other hummingbirds is uncertain and is still in need of further studies. Based on plumage coloration and ...
Thorax is bluish green on dorsum, changing to greenish white on the sides. The dorsum of thorax is marked with a pair of broad ... ante-humeral black stripes with straight borders. There are two pairs of tiny black spots on the lateral sides. Its abdomen is ... in the Satara district of Maharashtra and specimens are deposited at Bombay Natural History Society for further studies. It is ...
Astrobrachion adhaerens, the only other species in the genus, is smaller and has longitudinal stripes on the arms. The species ... The colour is variable, ranging from yellowish-white to red, and the arms have transverse banding. ... which makes it difficult to study these basket stars. However, in the Fiordland in the south-western part of the South Island ... them and their black coral hosts to live in shallower waters where they are within the range of divers and more readily studied ...
Photographs of The White Stripes. Three's a Crowd Vol. 2. Self-published, 2011. ISBN 978-0-955084-02-7. Photographs of The ... Spencer studied editorial photography under photographers Paul Reas and Mark Power at the School of Art and Design at the ... Between 2001 and 2005 Spencer photographed the American rock band The White Stripes. Initially for the NME, he photographed ... CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) "The White Stripes: The last great rock band". The Observer. 24 October 2010. Retrieved ...
Two morphs were found, one with twelve orange stripes on a green-brown column and one with 48 paired white stripes on a green ... These population studies were done in Indian Field Creek, Virginia and Barnstable Town Dock, Massachusetts by C.P. Mangum. This ... It does not always have vertical stripes, which can be orange or white. There are 50 to 100 slender and tapered tentacles which ... Studies of nematocyst development on tentacle tips of this and several species reveals several different stages of tentacle ...
Scutum with narrow dark scales and a prominent median longitudinal stripe of similar white ones. Mesepimeral scale patches ... Karl V. Krombein, who was a Senior Entomologist and Principal Investigator of the "Biosystematic Studies of the Insects of ... Coxae with patches of white scales. Halters are with dark scales. "An annotated checklist of mosquitoes of Sri Lanka" (PDF). ... connected forming a V-shaped white scale patch. ...
In the past four decades, after the publication in 1974 of Thomas E. Skidmore's Black into White, a revisionist study of ... Over time, his theory would become widely accepted both among Brazilians of all stripes and many foreign academics. Black ... Black into White: Race and Nationality in Brazilian Thought. New York: Oxford University Press, 1974. France Winddance Twine ... But no one here would have thought of "white-only" Churches. No one in Brazil would have thought of laws against interracial ...
Young are born dark brown with white stripes and spots along their upper torso. ... studies of mitochondrial control region and cytochrome b DNA sequences placed it near Capreolus within an Old World section of ... The coat is an overall golden brown color, and may be interspersed with black hairs, while the undersides are white. The ...
Amphibian - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Striped burrowing frog · White's tree frog ... Scientists say it is difficult to study them because most of ... California newt · Coastal Range newt · Eastern newt · Black-spotted newt · Striped newt · Red-bellied Newt · Rough-skinned newt ... Mount Glorious torrent frog · Elegant frog · White-bellied frog · Booroolong frog · Yellow-spotted bell frog · Armoured frog · ... Chinese fire-bellied newts has red stripes on their front body, which they can raise when attacked. This is also warning ...
... white belly, black and white speculum that is seen as a white square on the wings in flight, and is a smaller bird.:506 ... "Experimental studies of hybridization among ducks and pheasants". Journal of Experimental Zoology. 18 (1): 69-112. doi:10.1002 ... with a darker crown and eye-stripe.:506 ... Both sexes have an area of white-bordered black or iridescent ... Egg clutches number 8-13 creamy white to greenish-buff eggs free of speckles. They measure about 58 mm (2.3 in) in ...
Its bright-white colour gives this animal the vernacular name of "white-tailed gnu", and also distinguishes it from the blue ... Schaller, G. B. (1976). The Serengeti Lion : A Study of Predator-prey Relations. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. p. 217. ... Stewart, D. (2004). The Zebra's Stripes and Other African Animal Tales. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. p. 37. ISBN 186-8729-516 ... The black wildebeest or white-tailed gnu (Connochaetes gnou) is one of the two closely related wildebeest species. It is a ...
Death of Dale Earnhardt
... although the car was adorned with an inverted color scheme-a white body with black numerals and a black stripe on the bottom- ... Ed Hinton, a sportswriter for the Orlando Sentinel, attempted to acquire Earnhardt's autopsy records and photos for study, as ... "Seat Belt Not Sole Culprit / Study: Death of Dale had many causes". Newsday. Retrieved February 20, 2019.. ... For the race at Atlanta, a new GM Goodwrench Service Plus paint-scheme was introduced, along with angled red stripes and a thin ...
2000). Cetacean Societies: Field Studies of Dolphins and Whales. University of Chicago. p. 9. ISBN 0-226-50341-0.. ... Whales occasionally feature in literature and film, as in the great white whale of Herman Melville's Moby Dick. Small whales, ... Striped dolphin (S. coeruleoalba). *Atlantic spotted dolphin (S. frontalis). *Spinner dolphin (S. longirostris) ... "Australian Folklore: A Yearly Journal of Folklore Studies. University of New England (29). Retrieved 11 February 2016.. ...
Field Museum of Natural History
Meyer, AB (1905). Studies of the museums and kindred institutions of New York City, Albany, Buffalo, and Chicago, with notes on ... White Rhinoceros Mammals of Africa Yellow-checked Gibbon Mammals of Asia Evolving Planet. *Evolving Planet follows the ... Striped Hyena Mammals of Asia Swayne's Hartebeest Mammals of Africa Takin Mammals of Asia ... Coleman, LV (1939). The Museums in America: A critical study, Volumes 1-3. The American Association of Museums.. ...
Lily of the valley
C. majalis 'Albostriata' has white-striped leaves. *C. majalis 'Green Tapestry', 'Haldon Grange', 'Hardwick Hall', 'Hofheim', ' ... but a 2012 study demonstrated instead that at high concentrations, bourgeonal imitated the role of progesterone in stimulating ... majalis - from Eurasia, with white midribs on the flowers. *C. majalis var. montana - from the United States, with green-tinted ... In Season 4, Episode 13 of Breaking Bad, Walter White poisons a child, Brock, with lily of the valley. Jesse believes that the ...
List of largest mammals
The largest species in the mongoose family is the African white-tailed mongoose (Ichneumia albicauda), at up to 6 kg (13 lb) ... The largest skunk is generally considered the striped skunk, which can weigh up to 6.35 kg (14.0 lb) and reaches lengths of up ... Both have had estimated weights of around 800 kg (1,800 lb), though more recent studies suggest they were more likely closer to ... The largest extant species is the white rhinoceros (Ceratotherium simum). The largest size this species can attain is 4,500 kg ...
Handloff, Robert Earl (ed.) (1991), Ivory Coast: A Country Study, Library of Congress Country Studies, Washington: U.S. GPO, ... President Félix Houphouët-Boigny and First Lady Marie-Thérèse Houphouët-Boigny in the White House Entrance Hall with President ... the Coast of the Five and Six Stripes, after a type of cotton fabric also traded there; and the Côte du Vent,[c] the ... A major study of the issue in 2016, published in Fortune Magazine in the U.S., concluded that approximately 2.1 million ...
Observation in the field and study of type material by A. Farjon confirm recognition of this taxon as a variety if peduncle ... Fascicle sheaths initially 20-30 mm long with 6-8 imbricate, chartaceous, white-yellow to orange-brown scales, persistent but ... light brown with dark stripes (Farjon and Styles 1997). ...
There is a black streak along the back legs, with a black stripe along the spine. On muzzle, ears and paws there is more- ... BISBAL, Francisco J. "A taxonomic study of the crab-eating fox, Cerdocyon thous, in Venezuela." Mammalia 52.2 (1988): 181-186. ... White-nosed coati (N. narica). *South American coati (N. nasua). Nasuella. (Coatis inclusive). *Western mountain coati (N. ...
Order of the Rising Sun
Both were suspended on a ribbon, again in white with red border stripes, and worn on the left chest. Both classes were ... "Scholars and Librarians in East Asian Studies (North America) - William Theodore de Bary". Retrieved 21 April 2011.. ... on a ribbon in white with red border stripes, worn as a sash from the right shoulder for the Grand Cordon, as a necklet for the ... 8th Class, White Paulownia Leaves Medal. In 2003, the 7th and 8th levels - named for leaves of the Paulownia tree, long ...
These estimates are made using genetic mapping of plant chloroplasts. A DNA study published in Nature in 2018 concludes ... The colourful outer skin of some citrus fruits, known as zest, is used as a flavouring in cooking; the white inner portion of ... and double-striped pug (Gymnoscelis rufifasciata), the Arctiidae giant leopard moth (Hypercompe scribonia), H. eridanus, H. ... The middle layer of the pericarp is the mesocarp, which in citrus fruits consists of the white, spongy "albedo", or "pith". The ...
Inventory of Henry VIII of England
... cut upon white sarsenet, th'other 4 of flat cloth-of-silver striped with gold with ruff sleeves, nether sleeves, labels and ' ... The published transcription allotted each item an index number to facilitate further study. The team of editors provided a ... 95 white halberds garnished with crimson velvet; 14 Almain bills; 209 javelins trimmed with white, green, black silk and ... 8 Italian gowns for women with ruff sleeves, 4 of flat cloth-of-gold striped with silver, 'cheverned' with crimson satin, upon ...
"Journal of Military and Strategic Studies. 6 (3). ISSN 1488-559X.. *^ a b c d e Dave., Grossman, (2009). On killing : the ... In Phase II (also known as "White Phase") soldiers begin actually firing weapons, starting with the rifle or carbine (M4A1). ... The stripes are not worn until graduation, though trainees are paid at the higher pay grade. ... A study of 783 infantry recruits". The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. British Volume. 76 (1): 20-22. ISSN 0301-620X. PMID ...
They have green eyes and a white stripe on each side of the thorax. The abdomen is shiny black with four uniform white bands. ... A 2000 study by Opp and Prokopy found that male and female apple maggot flies mated up to six times a day in males and eight ... In a 1922 study, Opius ferrugineus Gahan was also found to emerge as a parasite from apple maggot puparia. ... The larva is white or cream-colored, but if it eats green pulp near the fruit skin, the green shows through the skin. Larvae ...
White blood cell
For the album by the band the White Stripes, see White Blood Cells (album). ... they are difficult to study. They can be recognized by several coarse, dark violet granules, giving them a blue hue. The ... White cells are found in the buffy coat, a thin, typically white layer of nucleated cells between the sedimented red blood ... A range of disorders can cause decreases in white blood cells. This type of white blood cell decreased is usually the ...
"Groups: Azerbaijanian, Centre for Russian Studies". nupi.no. Retrieved 3 April 2018.. [permanent dead link] ... The tank was restored and its number, 442, repainted in white on the side. ... An Introduction to the Critical Study and Knowledge, by Thomas Hartwell Horne, 1841, J. Whetham & Son, v.2, p. 51 ... Brenda Shaffer (ed.), Policy Brief Number 6, Cambridge, MA: Caspian Studies Program, Harvard University, December 2001, " ...
Up to this study, only physicians and psychiatrists studied sexual behavior, and almost always the results were interpreted ... White "slummers" enjoyed jazz, nightclubs, and anything else they wished. Blues singers Ma Rainey, Bessie Smith, Ethel Waters, ... Lesbian community flag introduced in social media in 2018, with the dark orange stripe representing gender variance. ... Vanita, Ruth (2007). "Lesbian Studies and Activism in India", Journal of Lesbian Studies, 11 (3/4), pp. 245-253. ...
Centre: the white stripe in the centre represents peace and stability in the region ... Many studies suggest that the Land of Punt was located in present-day Somalia, whereas others propose that it was ... Top: the blue stripe with the white star in the centre symbolizes the flag of Somalia ... a b Helen Chapin Metz, Somalia: a country study, (The Division: 1993), p. 10 ISBN 0844407755. ...
Early life and studiesEdit. Latso was born in Tbilisi (Georgia) where he started studying the piano at the age of six. He made ... 28; Liszt's 12 Transcendental Études, Horowitz's Carmen Variations (White House Edition), Claude Debussy's Préludes (Book II), ... Sousa-Horowitz-Latsabidze's "The Stars and Stripes Forever". ReferencesEdit. *^ Naxos. "Giorgi Latsabidze". Retrieved 23 ... "Notable Keyboard Studies Alumni" (in Chinese). Retrieved 20 May 2020.. *^ Azusa Pacific School of Music. "Pianist Giorgi ...
The dorsal hind region is crossed by six distinct white stripes and similar striping patterns on the wings. The hindwing are ... One 2009 study showed that whiter flowers are associated with an annual presence of hawk moths, including H. lineata. Their ... The forewing is dark brown with a tan stripe which extends from the base to the apex. There are also white lines that cover the ... "White-lined Sphinx Moth, Hyles lineata". Master Gardener Program. Retrieved 2017-10-28.. ...
They are almost never white. Typical colours are fawn, black and brindle. Brindles of a basic color may have the stripes of ... The Brazilian army compared this breed to Doberman Pinschers and German Shepherds in a five-year study using these dogs in the ... Blue and Solid White. White markings, not exceeding 1/4 of the coat surface area, are permitted on the feet, chest, and the tip ... on the other hand it accepts dogs with large white markings on any part of the body. ...
This species of white-headed tamarin is thought to have diverged from the other Amazonian forms such as S. leucopus. This is ... Estrada, A. (2006). New Perspectives in the Study of Mesoamerican Primates: Distribution, Ecology, Behavior, and Conservation. ... Many individuals have stripes or whorls of fur of striking coloration on their throats. The cotton-top also has whiskers on its ... Some researchers, such as Thorington (1976), posit that S. oedipus is more closely related to the white-footed tamarin (S. ...
Institute for the Study of Human Issues.. *^ ". Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Ibo". Encyclopædia Britannica. 14 (11th ed.). ... A series of black and white, silent films about the Igbo people made by George Basden in the 1920s and 1930s are held in the ... It is worn with trousers and can be worn with either a ceremonial title holders hat or with the conventional striped men's hat ... Obichere, Boniface I. (1982). Studies in Southern Nigerian History: A Festschrift for Joseph Christopher Okwudili Anene 1918-68 ...
He showed two paintings, including The Woman in a Striped Dress (see gallery below). The reviews were largely good, but the ... In 1912, Vuillard painted Théodore Duret in his Study, a commissioned portrait that signaled a new phase in Vuillard's work, ... This method, originally used in Renaissance frescos, involved using rabbit-skin glue as a binder mixed with chalk and white ... Édouard Vuillard, Ceramic plate depicting a woman in a striped blouse, (1895) ...
Petrified Forest National Park
With these permineralized fossils, it is possible to study the cellular make-up of the original organisms with the aid of a ... Bobcats and bullsnakes hunt smaller animals, such as deer mice and white-tailed antelope squirrels in the park's riparian zones ... Plateau striped whiptails, a species consisting entirely of females, prefer grasslands and developed areas. Side-blotched ... Paleontologists have been unearthing and studying the park's fossils since the early 20th century. ...
The red fox, Ruppell's fox, and Tibetan sand fox  possess white-tipped tails. The Arctic fox's tail-tip is of the same ... In this study, generations of silver foxes were divided into those with friendly traits and those with unfriendly traits. After ... Side-striped jackal (C. adustus). *African golden wolf (C. anthus). *Golden jackal (C. aureus) ... color as the rest of the tail (white or blue-gray) Blanford's fox usually possesses a black-tipped tail, but a small number ...
Variations include multicolored fruit with stripes (Green Zebra), fuzzy skin on the fruit (Fuzzy Peach, Red Boar), multiple ... Among the most famous pairings is the tomato plant and carrots; studies supporting this relationship have produced a popular ... white, and purple. Such fruits are not widely available in grocery stores, nor are their seedlings available in typical ... A Case Study of the Flavr Savr Tomato. CRC Press. p. 288.. ... whose effect on humans has not been studied. They also ...
Scientists unravel mystery of zebra stripes - CSMonitor.com
One study suggests that the animals distinctive vertical black-and-white pattern may have evolved to confuse biting insects. ... An earlier study looked at the deterrent effects of stripes on tsetse flies, while this new study looks at stripes effect on ... Why do zebras have stripes? One study suggests that the animals distinctive vertical black-and-white pattern may have evolved ... Light reflected from white pigment tends to be unpolarized, making it less appealing to the bugs. In the striping on a zebras ...
White-striped free-tailed bat - Wikipedia
Lazos, Barry S (2005). "Biologically Inspired Fixed-Wing Configuration Studies". Journal of Aircraft. 42 (5): 1089-1098. doi: ... white-striped free-tailed bat. This species displays sexual dimorphism with the male being larger. The white-striped free- ... with well defined white stripes beneath the wing; occasional patches of white may appear at the upper ventral side. Individuals ... The white-striped free-tailed bat can reach speeds of up to 17 m/s. The large, forward pointed ears are 20 to 25 mm in length ...
Study: White Markings Sell Well, Don't Impact Health | TheHorse.com
Breeding colorful horses, especially with various white markings, seems to breed good business without raising significant ... Study: Zebra Stripes Deter Horseflies. * Article. Electrochemotherapy Successful in Treating Equine Sarcoids. ... especially white--and health. Our study indicates that, at least in the focus breed, diversifying the colors and white markings ... The study also revealed that the basic color and the white markings had no effect on the presence or severity of sarcoids, ...
"Study People, Not Just Manuals": Jim Scott on Recordmaking with Wilco, the Dixie Chicks, Crowded House & More | Tape Op...
Jack White III: The White Stripes, The Dead Weather by Larry Crane As a member of The White Stripes, The Raconteurs and The ... "Study People, Not Just Manuals": Jim Scott on Recordmaking with Wilco, the Dixie Chicks, Crowded House & More by Larry Crane, ... Dead Weather and the Rome project (with Danger Mouse, Norah Jones and Daniele Luppi [Tape Op #40]), Jack White III has ...
White Stripe 1/2' Polyethylene Tubing | NDS
Study Offers Insight Into the Color of Dinosaurs - The New York Times
Reconstruction of two Sinosauropteryx, sporting their orange and white striped tails. Credit Artwork by Chuang Zhao and Lida ... at least one of them had a feathered mohawk tail in a subdued palette of chestnut and white stripes. ... The study builds on earlier work on fossil bird feathers by Jakob Vinther, a graduate student at Yale. , and his colleagues. In ... In the new study, Michael Benton, a paleontologist at the University of Bristol, and colleagues have analyzed the structures of ...
Archips kellerianus - Wikipedia
A Genome-Wide Association Study of Resistance to Stripe Rust (Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici) in a Worldwide Collection of...
2012 Association mapping for pre-harvest sprouting resistance in white winter wheat. Theor. Appl. Genet. 125: 793-805. ... In summary, this study provides an integrated view of stripe rust resistance resources in spring wheat and identifies new ... A Genome-Wide Association Study of Resistance to Stripe Rust (Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici) in a Worldwide Collection of ... A Genome-Wide Association Study of Resistance to Stripe Rust (Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici) in a Worldwide Collection of ...
Dominant white - Wikipedia
The white coat of the American White Horse has not yet been mapped. A 1924 study by C. Wriedt identified a heritable white coat ... In addition, the hooves are most often white, but may have striping if there is pigmented skin on the coronary band just above ... However, the 2007 and 2009 studies of dominant white showed that many dominant white alleles produce a range of white ... Both dominant white and "Sabino-White" horses are identified by all-white or near-white coats with underlying pink skin and ...
Did you know... - UPCS Science Lab
In that study, more flies were attracted by black surfaces, fewer by white surfaces and the fewest by stripes. ... Why do Zebras have Stripes?. posted Dec 9, 2016, 2:48 PM by Ann Marostica There are many theories on why zebras have stripes. ... Some think the stripes act as camouflage or a way to confuse predators. Others believe the stripes help zebras regulate body ... The researchers plan to find out by tracking the study participants through a study they have dubbed LEAP-On. ...
Polarization sensitivity in two species of cuttlefish - Sepia plangon (Gray 1849) and Sepia mestus (Gray 1849) - demonstrated...
Three drums were used in this study (Fig. 2).. Control Drum 1. This was a black-and-white, vertically striped drum. The stripes ... 90 deg and 135 deg polarizing striped drum. Although S. elongata did perform OMRs to black-and-white and grey-scale striped ... Although past studies have conducted OMR tests on some species of cuttlefish, these tests used either just black-and-white ... This speed is known to elicit visual responses in S. officinalis using black-and-white striped drums (Collewijn, 1970). ...
The Cake Box From Heaven (Brooklyn, of Course) Is Back - The New York Times
"Perfectly tied with this red-and-white striped string!"). Having studied Brooklyns eating patterns for her Ph.D. dissertation ... In another bowl, whip the egg whites to form soft peaks and, using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the batter ... Her book details the Ebingers initiation of one Elizabeth White: "From the way they were talking, in a mixture of awe and ... White recalled in the book. "Later, when I had my first taste of blackout cake, I understood." ...
New native Hawaiian land snail species discovered | NSF - National Science Foundation
... from burnished tigers-eye patterning to dramatic sable and white stripes. At less than two-tenths of an inch long, "you might ... The species "brings that little glimmer of hope that this isnt all a depressing story," said the studys lead author, Norine ... Auriculella gagneorum, a small, candy-striped snail from Oahus Waianae Mountains, represents the first new species of a living ... be able to fit a dozen on your fingernail," said study co-author John Slapcinsky. ...
The Finish Line: A Case Study: What is Causing This?
... including case studies of interesting projects. The idea is to offer insights that will help readers deal with aspects of EIFS ... The EIFS finish was alternating stripes of black and white. Across the street was an all glass curtainwall office building that ... Home » The Finish Line: A Case Study: What is Causing This?. ColumnsThe Finish Line The Finish Line: A Case Study: What is ... Oddly, the areas with white EIFS finish were unaffected. Lesson Learned. These heat-induced problems had occurred a number of ...
Transcript: Canada's Lagging Productivity | Oct 15, 2015 | TVO.org
... and striped black tie.. Andrew is in his late fifties, with gray hair and a full white beard. Hes wearing a gray suit, white ... SCHOOL OF POLICY STUDIES;. AND ANDREW. SHARPE,. EXECUTIVE. DIRECTOR OF THE CENTRE FOR THE. STUDY OF LIVING STANDARDS;. Don and ... Hes wearing a black suit, white shirt, and striped gray tie. Behind him, a wall screen reads "The Agenda, with Steve Paikin." ... DIDNT STUDY.. WE HAVE A FAIR NUMBER OF PEOPLE. WHO ARE WORKING IN AREAS THAT. THEY THINK THEYRE NOT BEING. ABLE TO EXPLOIT ...
Food Safety & Quality
A new study has uncovered the presence of white striping in 85% of standard factory-farmed chicken stocked by UK supermarkets ... White striping found in 85% of supermarket chicken: There are clearly shocking levels throughout the UK 01-Sep-2020. By Katy ... CBD industry consortium kicks off landmark safety study: The UK will be in a position to take the global lead on CBD in food ... A UK CBD industry body is leading a consortium of companies to conduct a landmark study on the safety of cannabidiol. This ...
Food Safety & Quality
A new study has uncovered the presence of white striping in 85% of standard factory-farmed chicken stocked by UK supermarkets ... White striping found in 85% of supermarket chicken: There are clearly shocking levels throughout the UK 01-Sep-2020. By Katy ... SweeGen Inc. , Download Technical / White Paper Diets, health and sugar reduction in the spotlight during the era of COVID-19 ... BÜCHI Labortechnik AG , Download Technical / White Paper Free guidebook to proximate analysis of food ...
Carpets, Resilient flooring,Flooring in other formats - All architecture and design manufacturers in this category - Videos
Plant Nutrition & Nutrients K-12 Experiments and Background Information
Colored stripes and dots should be visible on the cut surfaces.. *This procedure can also be completed using a white carnation. ... Fertilizer studies are based on careful analysis of plant needs and are carried on in all parts of the world where plants are ... Study the leaves of the stalks. The stalk from the colored water should have colored leaves. The leaves of the other stalk ... Using the magnifying lens, study the outer surface of each celery piece, including the freshly cut surfaces. ...
New native Hawaiian land snail species discovered, first in 60 years | EurekAlert! Science News
... a small candy-striped snail from Oahus Waianae Mountains, represents the first new species of a living Hawaiian land snail ... from burnished tigers-eye patterning to dramatic sable and white stripes. At less than two-tenths of an inch long, "you might ... The species "brings that little glimmer of hope that this isnt all a depressing story," said the studys lead author Norine ... "People used to think it wasnt even worth studying Hawaiian land snails because they were all extinct. Now we know theyre not ...
Reduce Woody Breast and White Striping with Dietary Approach
... can reduce the severity of woody breast and white striping by up to 50 percent based on the analysis of several studies in both ... White striping is another type of myopathy where connective tissue creates white "stripes" of varying thickness across the ... Two of those trials also analzyed white striping, recording a reduction in severe white striping by 46.1 percent (Figure 2). ... Woody breast and white striping are particularly costly to the broiler market as they affect one of the most valuable cuts from ...
Cell Biology News | Page 2 of 38 | SciTechDaily
The distinctive white stripes in clownfish form at different rates depending on their sea anemone hosts, a PNAS study finds. ... Study lays groundwork for developing drugs to treat or prevent addiction in humans and provides contextual framework for future ... A research group working at Uppsala University has succeeded in studying translation factors - important components of a ... Metamorphosis: The Fascinating Secrets of How Clownfish Earn Their Stripes ...
Visual adaptation stops life in the fast lane › News in Science (ABC Science)
The team attached electrodes to single neurons in a fly brain and showed the insect images of moving black and white stripes. ... According to the study published in the Proceedings of The Royal Society B, neurons that are exposed to an image of motion, ... The researchers used a hoverfly model to study motion adaptation. "Humans and insects process motion in similar ways, but we ... According to the study, motion adaptation did not transfer to the other parts of the same neuron. ...
Multicolored Asian Lady Beetle | Ohioline
Indeed, studies have shown that MALB is attracted to surfaces covered in highly contrasting vertical black and white stripes (4 ... Indeed, a research study conducted in England in 2011 showed that as MALB increased from 0.1% to 40% of the total sampled lady ... Studies conducted on MALB as well as other lady beetles have shown that this aggregation behavior involves temperature, visual ... For example, in one such study where the action threshold was keyed to 10% of the taste-testers being able to detect LBT, the ...
Aedes Aegypti Mosquito Is World's Most Dangerous Animal - DER SPIEGEL
The temples of his eyeglasses are black-and-white striped, just like the body of the Aedes aegypti mosquito. Until the outbreak ... In a country like India, the study notes, inpatient treatment of dengue fever patients can easily cost as much as half of a ... Just like Aedes aegypti mosquitoes that grow up in the wild, Fornitans specimens have the same black-and-white striped pattern ... It is tropically humid in the room and the walls are lined with cages where Logan keeps the objects of his studies. ...
La collectionneuse: Dandies on the Côte d'Azur • Senses of Cinema
He wears a pale blue tie with a pink and white striped shirt and a dark suit. The background is a rose garden of pinks, reds ... A portrait of studied elegance, this framing expresses the character of the man to whom this prologue is dedicated; pan, ... in front of her are a blue and white striped deck chair, an iron table with remnants of a meal and Adrien, who watches her on ... He wears a pink and white dressing gown, as George Sanders would have worn a velvet smoking jacket, but his is so small on him ...
10 Mysteries Of Our World That Science Finally Solved - Listverse
In that study, more flies were attracted by black surfaces, fewer by white surfaces and the fewest by stripes. ... 3Why Zebras Have Stripes. There are many theories on why zebras have stripes. Some think the stripes act as camouflage or a way ... But a new study shows that Earth had water on its surface when it formed, enough for life to have evolved earlier than ... They studied where the species (and subspecies) of zebras, horses, and asses lived. They gathered information on the color, ...
The worlds best protein sources
Stop Eating Chicken Breasts with White Stripes. The Bad. Shun the intensively farmed and water-filled budget breasts. A study ... A study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that eating foods rich in vitamin C increased the amount of iron ... A study in Metabolic Brain Disease found that high levels of this vitamin helped athletes recover from exercise faster. "Pork ... Tofu also has 24g of unsaturated (good) fats and a study in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology found that when ...
... had horizontal black and white striped walls and a rod floor. The other chamber (17.5"L × 8" W) had vertical black and white ... In vivo studies. Subjects for in vivo studies.. Male Wistar rats (300-350 g at start of experiment; Charles-River) were used. ... 2010) Further studies on the pharmacological profile of the neuropeptide S receptor antagonist SHA 68. Peptides 31:915-925, doi ... In vitro studies. Materials.. Ro 20-1724 (Cat # B8279) and probenecid were purchased from Sigma-Aldrich. The NPS peptide was ...
Zebra stripesZebras have stripesFemale striped bassSpeciesFeathersReddishScientistsMaizePatternsUppsala UniversityProtecting the zebraColorsInsectResearchersPathogenBlackFewestStars and StrFoundPlumageResembleEvolutionaryTsetse1980sMutantsInfectionMassachusetts Division of Marine FisheriesPrehistoricCamouflageChestnutSeverityFliesClownfishPigmentLesionsInsectsSuggestsGenesBodyCaliforniaDiseaseResearcherGeneticIrregularPaleBrownOccursWoreAdultSinosauropteryxPopulationsScientificGeneticsBottlenoseChickenShrubsVisuallySimilarlyBodiesYearsVariationBassMarkingsAdjacentFewerSize
- Other researchers from the University of Sweden found that flies avoid zebra stripes because they're the right width. (google.com)
- Why Zebra Stripes? (petmd.com)
- A solution to the riddle of zebra stripes, discussed by Wallace and Darwin, is at hand,' they write. (petmd.com)
- See, his stripes actually look like zebra stripes. (blogspot.com)
- Ask for zebra stripes on your cake , however, and there's no telling what you'll get. (blogspot.com)
- Zebra Stripes And Flies: Occam's Razor Versus Stripes Make Terrible Landing Strips? (science20.com)
Zebras have stripes3
- Why do zebras have stripes? (csmonitor.com)
- There are many theories on why zebras have stripes. (google.com)
- PARIS, April 01, 2014 (AFP) - Zebras have stripes to deter the tsetse and other blood-sucking flies, according to a fresh bid to settle a debate that has raged among biologists for over 140 years. (petmd.com)
Female striped bass3
- For example, sixth-generation captive-bred domestic striped bass (F6) are about twice the size of third-generation fish (F3) by Age 2, and fifth-generation (F5) female striped bass are about 46% larger than F3 female striped bass at the age of 4 years (see Figure 2). (aquaculturemag.com)
- Some states including Florida produce a hybrid called palmetto bass which is a cross between a female striped bass with a male white bass. (bassonline.com)
- The palmetto bass is a cross between female striped bass and male white bass. (bassonline.com)
- The white-striped free-tailed bat (Austronomus australis) is a species of bat in the family Molossidae. (wikipedia.org)
- A distinctive pattern of white fur on each side of the body progresses from the front to the back where the wings fold against the body, giving this species its common name, white-striped free-tailed bat. (wikipedia.org)
- They studied where the species (and subspecies) of zebras, horses, and asses lived. (google.com)
- Auriculella gagneorum , a small, candy-striped snail from Oahu's Waianae Mountains, represents the first new species of a living Hawaiian land snail described in 60 years. (nsf.gov)
- An important feature used to distinguish MALB from other lady beetles found in Ohio, including native species, is the appearance on the white pronotum (top covering of middle body part) of a black regularly to irregularly shaped "M" or "W," depending upon whether the beetle is viewed from the front or from the rear. (osu.edu)
- And white sharks are an endothermic species - it can elevate its body temperature. (pressherald.com)
- But he added the receivers help to track many different species, such as sturgeon, striped bass and cod. (pressherald.com)
- This summarized version focuses on sections two and three, which describe the standard methods and tools available for striped bass culture and present the future directions of the striped bass aquaculture industry, including the challenges towards establishing a culture industry for this species, as well as the launch of the new StriperHub consortium. (aquaculturemag.com)
- Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar and red drum, Sciaenops ocellatus are currently the only finfish species endemic to the United States that are cultured in significant quantities in coastal environments, and presently there is no appreciable aquaculture production of any premium white-fleshed marine finfish species, such as the striped bass, in the country. (aquaculturemag.com)
- This program was initiated to determine the relative abundance and distribution of age-0 striped bass in the estuary, but the data has also been used for other upper estuary pelagic species. (ca.gov)
- Special studies are often developed to combat challenges that arise during species sampling, specimen preservation, and in implementing other study methodologies. (ca.gov)
- The study also detects and monitors zooplankton recently introduced to the estuary and determines their effects on native species. (ca.gov)
- The striped mealybug, Ferrisia virgata (Cockerell) (Hemiptera, Pseudococcidae), is a widely distributed and polyphagous pest species, which naturally occurs on cotton plants in Brazil. (scielo.br)
- The chicken-size dinosaur species' color patterns were decoded after the researchers had used a scanning electron microscope to study pigment samples taken from fossil feathers all over a specimen and then compared the samples to pigment from modern birds. (nationalgeographic.com)
- Demand for the farm-raised hybrid species resulted from diminished supplies of wild-caught striped bass. (bassonline.com)
- The new record in the En Gedi area extends the known range of this species conspicuously northeast, with a gap of more than 300 km from the southern Sinai Peninsula to the Dead Sea. (brill.com)
- Even more species are being cultivated and studied for the pharmacological compounds they contain. (ncsu.edu)
- Investigators from the Univeristy of Colorado at Boulder and the University of Helsinki report that the evolution of the species Timema cristinae resulted in two unique individuals - one that is all green in color and well camouflaged among broad leaves, and one with a white stripe down its back that is better suited to hiding within needle-like leaves. (redorbit.com)
- Our study shows that the evolution of poor camouflage in one species can affect all the other species living there and affect the plant as well," stated Tim Farkas, who served as lead author of the study while serving as a doctoral student in ecology and evolutionary biology at CU-Boulder . (redorbit.com)
- In the new study, Michael Benton, a paleontologist at the University of Bristol, and colleagues have analyzed the structures of what appear to be feathers and say they match the feathers of living birds down to the microscopic level. (nytimes.com)
- A new study of fossilized bird feathers from 100 million years ago has determined that the broad stripes visible on the feathers do indicate the color of that ancient bird's plumage. (discovermagazine.com)
- The fossil feathers had an obvious striped pattern but its origin had long been debated, according to Professor [Mike] Benton. (discovermagazine.com)
- The lighter areas of the ancient feathers didn't have similar structures, leading researchers to confirm that the long-dead bird had black and white stripes. (discovermagazine.com)
- Study coauthor Derek Briggs says the next step is to investigate the structure of fossilized feathers from an ancient bird thought to be closely related to a living bird with varied and colourful plumage. (discovermagazine.com)
- Both studies raise hopes that improved knowledge of dinosaur coloration could lead to insights into how some prehistoric animals behaved and why feathers evolved in the first place. (nationalgeographic.com)
- They report that a complicated pattern of reddish brown, black, gray, and white feathers covered the fossilized dinosaur, leading to speculation that perhaps this coloration was used for attracting mates or some form of visual communication, as is often the case in living birds. (nationalgeographic.com)
- Anchiornis shows that, 'when elongate feathers first appear [in the fossil record], they are already distinctively spotted and striped,' Clarke said. (nationalgeographic.com)
- The team behind the new study, in Science, determined the feather colors by analyzing the shape and density of melanosomes within fossil feathers. (nationalgeographic.com)
- From the right the bird appeared to be male, displaying distinctly male red feathers around the eye and the black-and-white striping that earned the zebra finch its name. (scientificamerican.com)
- The forewings are reddish brown with stripes of silver scales. (wikipedia.org)
- in some maize genotypes, these stripes will be reddish to purple. (plantmanagementnetwork.org)
- And dark areas in Sinosauropteryx's tail were "absolutely packed with phaeomelanosomes," said Benton-a finding that led the team to propose that the dinosaur's tail was striped with "chestnut to rufous [reddish brown] tones. (thehistoryblog.com)
- To test this hypothesis, scientists in Budapest visited a horse farm and tested varying black-and-white striped patterns on inanimate objects for their attractiveness to horseflies. (csmonitor.com)
- Then, the scientists compared the striped model to solid-colored models. (csmonitor.com)
- The narrow width of zebras' stripes, concluded the scientists, apparently makes the animals less appetizing to biting flies. (csmonitor.com)
- That is what a team of Chinese and British scientists reported Wednesday in Nature, providing the first clear evidence of dinosaur colors from studies of 125-million-year-old fossils of a dinosaur called Sinosauropteryx. (nytimes.com)
- Marine biologists are embarking on the first study dedicated to learning about the habits of great white sharks off the coast of southern Maine, where the scientists say the fishes' population is likely to increase. (pressherald.com)
- What scientists don't know, Skomal said, is how often great white sharks travel into the gulf and which areas they utilize. (pressherald.com)
- The study originally was started to learn the white shark's ecology and natural history, which scientists know little about, but Skomal is close to getting a population estimate of the white sharks around Massachusetts. (pressherald.com)
- With lights in hand, divers Jeff Milisen and Sarah Mayte snapped up-close photos of 26 larval fishes, then gingerly captured and shipped them plus 50 others to scientists to be studied alongside their mugshots. (sciencenews.org)
- Then he noticed that the female squid also had a white stripe on their backs, composed of leucophores --a kind of skin cell that scientists always considered to be statically white. (kqed.org)
- Zebras are known for their black and white stripes, but over several years scientists have noticed some of the animals bear spots, odd patterns and even gold fur. (dailymail.co.uk)
- To study how, scientists at Duke University Medical Center generated zebrafish with depleted levels of cells responsible for creating bone. (nih.gov)
- In the blind, the Stripe of Gennari could play a role in supporting the sense of touch, the scientists speculate. (mpg.de)
- This study along with the San Francisco Bay Study provides scientists, managers, and stakeholders with white sturgeon population dynamics and status information for use when considering habitat protection, habitat restoration, and fishing regulations. (ca.gov)
- Taking a pigment discovery further, scientists accurately color entire body, study says. (nationalgeographic.com)
- Scientists in eastern and southern Africa have been studying whether the surgical procedure can protect against HIV infection, and also what it would mean to promote for medical reasons a practice that has long held cultural significance. (iavireport.org)
- A team of scientists led by Arthur Arnold of the University of California at Los Angeles studied a zebra finch that was a gynandromorph, the equivalent of a hermaphrodite in humans. (scientificamerican.com)
- Thanks to a new study , scientists know. (science20.com)
- Jianming Yu, a professor of agronomy and the Pioneer Distinguished Chair in Maize Breeding , said the study sheds light on phenotypic plasticity, or the ability of crops to adapt to environmental changes. (wn.com)
- In this study, 31 novel, uncharacterized striped maize mutants available through the Maize Genetics Cooperation Stock Center (MGCSC) were analyzed to determine whether their mutant phenotypes are caused by decreased iron. (frontiersin.org)
- Unlike other downy mildews of maize, brown stripe downy mildew does not result in malformation of vegetative or floral tissues. (plantmanagementnetwork.org)
- Having studied Brooklyn's eating patterns for her Ph.D. dissertation, Dr. Hauck-Lawson concluded: "The borough is such an ethnic mix and Ebinger's was one commonality. (nytimes.com)
- And during this time, experts and conservationists have observed abnormal stripe patterns among them, but have been unsure if it was related to location or genetics. (dailymail.co.uk)
- Zebras' famous stripes are designed to act like a camouflage while they roam on the open plain , but those that are born with odd patterns stick out and are more obvious to predators. (dailymail.co.uk)
- Further sections deal with the development of larval pigment patterns in Triturus alpestris, (horizontal melanophore stripes) and Ambystoma mexicanum (vertical melanophore bars). (nih.gov)
- Thus, in this review we show that the NC of amphibians (T. alpestris, Xenopus laevis, dark and white axolotls and other ambystomatids) may be used for various analyses concerning the migration and differentiation of its derivatives, as well as for studies on the formation and evolution of pigment patterns. (nih.gov)
- This important volume reveals approaches taken to the study of bone accumulations at prehistoric sites in Africa, Eurasia, and America, and provides fascinating insights into patterns produced by carnivores, by hunter-gatherers, and by our early human ancestors. (stoneageinstitute.org)
- The combined effect of the two mutations causes an even more appealing phenotype for the human eye," says Leif Andersson, Uppsala University, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences and Texas A&M University, who led the study. (uu.se)
Protecting the zebra1
- Are its stripes for camouflage, protecting the zebra with a 'motion dazzle confusion effect' against hyenas, lions and other predators in the savannah? (petmd.com)
- Representing the primary breed of the Swiss national stud, 974 Franche-Montagne horses were evaluated for the effects of their colors and white markings on their health and marketability. (thehorse.com)
- But this has been a controversial practice in certain circles because of the association that has been made between colors--especially white--and health. (thehorse.com)
- Our study indicates that, at least in the focus breed, diversifying the colors and white markings could improve the marketing opportunities without significant adverse effects on the horses' health. (thehorse.com)
- They expected the striped model to attract an intermediate number of insects, knowing that dark colors are more attractive to horseflies than white ones. (csmonitor.com)
- All known dominant white coat colors are associated with the KIT gene. (wikipedia.org)
- There are many other genetic factors that produce white, near-white, and off-white coat colors in horses, some of which are visually very similar to dominant white. (wikipedia.org)
- The bronze cross, suspended from a bright ribbon festooned with the colors of the Vatican and fine stripes of red, white and blue, is a symbol of accomplishment after a year of service and studying the shared values of Catholicism and Scouting. (ncronline.org)
- Melanosomes of both types were found during the new study, providing "the first empirical evidence for reconstructing the colors and color patterning" in dinosaurs and Chinese fossil birds, Zhang and his colleagues write. (thehistoryblog.com)
- Few plants rival the showy, tropical cannas with their vibrant, hot-colored flower spikes and dramatic paddle-shaped foliage in shades of green, bronze, or striped with bold colors. (wickedlocal.com)
- The idea that zebras' stripes are a form of physical insect repellant has actually been around since the 1980s. (csmonitor.com)
- The team attached electrodes to single neurons in a fly brain and showed the insect images of moving black and white stripes. (abc.net.au)
- Researchers led by Tim Caro of the University of California at Davis, say there is no black-and-white answer to the Great Stripe Riddle -- but the insect theory is by far the best bet. (petmd.com)
- Farkas and his associates also noticed that the chamise plants populated with striped walking sticks were home to an increased number and variety of arthropods than those stocked with the un-striped variation, and that more leaves were damaged by hungry bugs on those shrubs stocked with the striped type of insect. (redorbit.com)
- Breeding colorful horses, especially with various white markings, seems to breed good business without raising significant health concerns, according to Swiss researchers. (thehorse.com)
- Researchers in Hungary say that they may have an evolutionary explanation for zebras' distinctive stripes. (csmonitor.com)
- The researchers used a hoverfly model to study motion adaptation. (abc.net.au)
- Although many supposed sightings of white sharks in Maine are actually sharks of little harm to humans, such as porbeagles and basking sharks, researchers have confirmed great white sharks in Maine and even in the Canadian Maritimes, Skomal said. (pressherald.com)
- The study by researchers at the University of Washington and federal agencies is published Nov. 14 in Scientific Reports, an open-access journal from the Nature Publishing Group. (wattsupwiththat.com)
- In a new study published in PLOS Genetics, Swedish and French researchers report that two independent mutations are required to explain the development of the sex-linked barring pattern in chicken. (uu.se)
- This review article developed by researchers and collaborators at the North Carolina State University and contributors from other four states analyses the current status of striped bass aquaculture and its potential as a U.S. aquaculture industry, primarily from an Atlantic state perspective. (aquaculturemag.com)
- Researchers at the Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research studied the genes that are active in these stem cells to determine which of them are key players. (nih.gov)
- However, as is now clear, this cannot be the only function of the stripe of Gennari: In a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) study, the researchers found the stripe of Gennari in the brains of congenitally blind subjects. (mpg.de)
- In future studies with fMRI, the researchers aim to learn more about the work of this versatile nerve bundle in the human brain. (mpg.de)
- In fact, researchers have studied them for years and are still not exactly sure what they eat. (listverse.com)
- For the study, which was published in Biology Letters [subscription required], researchers examined the dark bands with an electron microscope and saw sausage-shaped structures that had previously been interpreted as fossilized remains of bacteria. (discovermagazine.com)
- Researchers studying the evolution of a California walking stick into two separate, distinct forms have found that such rapid changes in a creature's appearance can set off a chain of ecological impacts. (redorbit.com)
- tritici ( Pst ), the causal pathogen of wheat stripe rust, show high virulence to previously deployed resistance genes and are responsible for large yield losses worldwide. (g3journal.org)
- In India, where the brown stripe downy mildew pathogen was first discovered, yield losses from brown stripe downy mildew range from 20 to 90% (3). (plantmanagementnetwork.org)
- One study suggests that the animals' distinctive vertical black-and-white pattern may have evolved to confuse biting insects. (csmonitor.com)
- In that study, more flies were attracted by black surfaces, fewer by white surfaces and the fewest by stripes. (google.com)
- Polarized optomotor responses were displayed, and these responses were similar to those performed in response to a black-and-white, vertically-striped drum, whereas no responses were displayed to a plain polarizing control drum producing just a vertical e-vector. (biologists.org)
- This is usually achieved by rotating a black-and-white, vertically striped drum around a free-moving or fixed animal. (biologists.org)
- He's wearing a black suit, white shirt, and striped gray tie. (tvo.org)
- Just like Aedes aegypti mosquitoes that grow up in the wild, Fornitan's specimens have the same black-and-white striped pattern reminiscent of Adidas jogging suits. (spiegel.de)
- (2) They gambled that being in colour and set in the south of France, La collectionneuse would be more successful than My Night at Maud's and would allow Rohmer to make My Night at Maud's in black and white. (sensesofcinema.com)
- it remained as a black-and-white silent work print for a year. (sensesofcinema.com)
- AS TRAVIS QUIRK tells it, not everything is black and white when it comes to skunks. (nwf.org)
- Painted in black and white stripes, the convict juveniles resemble the poisonous striped catfish . (listverse.com)
- A 30-year study published in Transactions of the American Fisheries Society in 2009 on the effects of fishing on black bass in an Illinois lake showed that removing the aggressive fish that bite while defending their nests during spawning season produces a population less likely to bite. (yahoo.com)
- Cake Wrecks: What's Black & White & Wrecked All Over? (blogspot.com)
- OKN was elicited with black and white stripes moving nasally to temporally or temporally to nasally at four velocities. (arvojournals.org)
- After interviewing each mother to ascertain her alcohol consumption during pregnancy, the authors tested the visual acuity of the infants at 6 ½ months of age using the Teller Acuity Cards (TAC) Test, which is comprised of gray cards with a concentration of vertical black and white stripes on the left or the right side. (eurekalert.org)
- The subject of the new study-the 155-million-year-old Anchiornis huxleyi- turns out to have looked something like a woodpecker the size of a chicken, with black-and-white spangled wings and a rusty red crown (see animation above). (nationalgeographic.com)
- It has a dark blue or black upper body, a white underbody, golden stripes on the sides, and a sickle-shaped dorsal fin. (questia.com)
- It is believed by some that zebras have black and white stripes as a defense mechanism against flies. (science20.com)
- Using oil and glue, they trapped the insects, finding that the narrowest stripes attracted the fewest flies. (csmonitor.com)
Stars and Str3
- But they found that the striped horse outstripped them all. (csmonitor.com)
- it may occur through spontaneous mutation, and thus may be found unexpectedly in any breed, even those that discourage excessive white markings. (wikipedia.org)
- Indeed, a study published Monday in the journal Pediatrics found that children whose families used dishwashing machines were more likely to have allergies than kids whose plates were washed by hand. (google.com)
- It also boosts your immune system and a study at Ball State University, Indiana, found taking a minimum of 0.88g of whey per pound of body weight could prevent the ills of overtraining from setting in. (menshealth.com)
- But don't write it off: the study above found no change in the subjects' oestrogen (female hormone) levels, which is the cause of the chest inflation. (menshealth.com)
- A study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that eating foods rich in vitamin C increased the amount of iron you can absorb by up to 12 per cent. (menshealth.com)
- Striped skunks, which are found across North America, acquire a lot of body fat in late summer. (nwf.org)
- In this study, we found that the AHG3 gene is identical to AtPP2CA , which encodes a protein phosphatase 2C (PP2C). (plantphysiol.org)
- A new study found cyclists in Ottawa, Ontario, had heart irregularities in the hours after their exposure to a variety of air pollutants on busy roads. (scientificamerican.com)
- Why are the switchable white cells only found in females? (kqed.org)
- Earlier this month, a study was released by the Giraffe Conservation Foundation and the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute regarding dwarfism found in giraffes - both of which were born from parents in captivity. (dailymail.co.uk)
- The reservoir host of HTNV, the striped field mouse ( Apodemus agrarius) , is the most abundant field rodent found in South Korea. (cdc.gov)
- However, a recent study from Volvo Car USA found some surprising statistics. (petmd.com)
- One study found that experimentally infected juvenile largemouth bass experienced greater mortality and had higher viral loads at 30oC than at 25oC. (myfwc.com)
- They cataloged the walking sticks living on chamise and greenbark ceanothus in 186 research patches, and found that, as expected, the striped ones were more likely to live on the former and vice versa. (redorbit.com)
- They then intentionally stocked the chamise with the broad-leaf type of walking stick and found that, over the course of a month, fewer of those insects survived than their white-striped counterparts. (redorbit.com)
- We are sure that both mutations contribute to the sex-linked barring pattern because we have also studied chicken that only carry the regulatory mutation and they show a very pale plumage with only weak dark stripes. (uu.se)
- Sunshines closely resemble both striped bass and white bass making identification difficult, particularly for young fish. (bassonline.com)
- The study illustrates how useful domestic animals are as models for evolutionary processes in nature. (uu.se)
- Other studies relate to evolutionary perspectives in pigment pattern formation. (nih.gov)
- These studies have shown that vertical bars which develop from aggregates in the NC string are an evolutionary innovation, compared to the more primitive horizontal stripes lacking aggregates in the NC. (nih.gov)
- This book emanates from a Stone Age Institute conference celebrating the life and career of naturalist Bob Brain, a pioneer in bringing taphonomic perspectives to human evolutionary studies. (stoneageinstitute.org)
- An earlier study looked at the deterrent effects of stripes on tsetse flies, while this new study looks at stripes' effect on horseflies. (csmonitor.com)
- Hybrid striped bass production began in the mid 1980s and is now a major aquaculture industry. (bassonline.com)
- HYL1 , ABH1 , and SAD1 , isolated in studies of Arabidopsis ABA-hypersensitive mutants, encode a double-stranded RNA-binding protein, an mRNA cap-binding protein, and an Sm-like snRNP, respectively. (plantphysiol.org)
- Many of these proved to be either pale yellow or white striped mutants. (frontiersin.org)
- High correlations among environments and high heritabilities were observed for stripe rust infection type and severity. (g3journal.org)
- In mid-August, the Cape Cod Times came out with a story headlined, "Infection attacking striped bass. (dickrussell.org)
- The article cited the Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries noting that "warming water temperatures might be causing an increase in the number of striped bass that have lesions from a viral or bacterial infection….The agency urged caution in handling fish because the disease can be transferred to humans through contact. (dickrussell.org)
- What I'm wondering about is why no connection is still being made between the infection and thinner striped bass due to a lack of food - specifically, menhaden, their time-honored food of choice in the Chesapeake region and along the coast. (dickrussell.org)
- The US National Institutes of Health (NIH) sponsored the circumcision study because despite the considerable body of correlative research, the precise link between HIV infection and circumcision remained unclear. (iavireport.org)
Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries1
- The Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries has been tagging and following great white sharks since 2009. (pressherald.com)
- Are you sure that's a turtle and not the rare, zebra-striped prehistoric manatee? (blogspot.com)
- This volume also shows how a range of probing, multidisciplinary, experimental investigations -- including experimental tool-making, comparative studies of ape technologies, biomechanical analysis, and PET studies of brain activity -- help us evaluate this tantalizing prehistoric evidence and appreciate its relevance to human evolution. (stoneageinstitute.org)
- Well, at least one of them had a feathered mohawk tail in a subdued palette of chestnut and white stripes. (nytimes.com)
- The study also revealed that the basic color and the white markings had no effect on the presence or severity of sarcoids, sweet itch, mycosis, summer warts (papillomavirus), or abnormalities of the hooves or flexor tendons, Federici said. (thehorse.com)
- Recent findings indicate that altering broiler chicken diets can help mitigate the severity of woody breast and white striping, two poultry meat quality issues that appear to be increasing in prevalence in many markets. (novusint.com)
- A combination of MINTREX® trace minerals and SANTOQUIN® feed preservative can reduce the severity of woody breast and white striping by up to 50 percent based on the analysis of several studies in both commercial and research environments. (novusint.com)
- According to new research published in the Journal of Experimental Biology , zebras' stripes could have evolved as an adaptation to avoid getting bitten by flies. (csmonitor.com)
- Again and again, there was greater striping on areas of the body in those parts of the world where there was more annoyance from biting flies. (google.com)
- But a new study, published in the journal Nature Communications on Tuesday, says the strongest likelihood is that the stripes discourage parasitic flies. (petmd.com)
- The distinctive white stripes in clownfish form at different rates depending on their sea anemone hosts, a PNAS study finds. (scitechdaily.com)
- Light reflected from white pigment tends to be unpolarized, making it less appealing to the bugs. (csmonitor.com)
- In some cases, foals born with residual non-white hair may lose some or all of this pigment with age, without the help of the gray factor. (wikipedia.org)
- Sex-linked barring is associated with a gene variant that makes CDKN2A more active leading to a cyclic deficit of pigment cells causing the white stripes during the development of an individual feather. (uu.se)
- An example of such a breed is White Leghorn which is one of the most prominent breeds used for egg production, but sex-linked barring is not apparent in these breeds because they also carry the dominant white colour that eliminates all pigment production and masks the effect of sex-linked barring," says Leif Andersson. (uu.se)
- These studies include the modes of NC cell migration and their differentiation into chondroblasts, perichondral cells, neurons, Schwann cells and pigment cells (melanophores and xanthophores). (nih.gov)
- In wild-type or dark axolotl embryos, pigment cells leave the NC and migrate out under the epidermis, whereas in the white mutant, pigment cells remain closely confined to the original position of the NC. (nih.gov)
- In the striping on a zebra's coat, the polarized and unpolarized light may be confusing to insects, causing them to leave zebras alone. (csmonitor.com)
- According to the study, the animals' attractiveness to insects diminishes with the size of the stripes. (csmonitor.com)
- live zebras may produce odors that attract insects, diminishing any protective effect of the stripes. (csmonitor.com)
- As the name suggests, these known white coats are inherited dominantly, meaning that a horse only needs one copy of a W allele to have the white or white spotted coat. (wikipedia.org)
- But a new study suggests that advice did more harm than good. (google.com)
- The first formal study of this population suggests that it's been healthy and relatively abundant in recent years, numbering about 3,000 animals. (wattsupwiththat.com)
- The southern Beaufort Sea subpopulation is well-studied, and a growing body of evidence suggests it's doing poorly due to sea-ice loss," Regehr said. (wattsupwiththat.com)
- In summary, this study provides an integrated view of stripe rust resistance resources in spring wheat and identifies new resistance loci that will be useful to diversify the current set of resistance genes deployed to control this devastating disease. (g3journal.org)
- Drosophila melanogaster is an excellent model organism with which to study basic cellular functions of evolutionarily conserved genes, particularly human disease genes ( Bernards and Hariharan, 2001 ). (biologists.org)
- Grasses have been able to short cut evolution by taking genes from their neighbors, finds a new study . (science20.com)
- Others believe the stripes help zebras regulate body heat or choose their mates. (google.com)
- A UK CBD industry body is leading a consortium of companies to conduct a 'landmark' study on the safety of cannabidiol. (foodnavigator.com)
- Because of a great white shark's ability to elevate its body temperature, Betsy is unfazed by cold water and likely frequents the Gulf of Maine in pursuit of abundant prey such as gray seals, spiny dogfish, tuna and harbor porpoise. (pressherald.com)
- A study led by co-author Karyn Rode , at the U.S. Geological Survey, showed the top predators have similar amounts of body fat as 25 years ago, a good indicator of their overall health. (wattsupwiththat.com)
- Females are brown overall, grayer on body in winter, with white patch at base of bill and yellow eye. (ebird.org)
- DeMartini's work took a leap forward when he noticed that female market squid have an unusually bright stripe of iridocytes on each side of their body. (kqed.org)
- Briefly, the striped mealybug, F. virgata , has a grayish body, with two uneven lines of dark spots on the dorsum (seen when the wax cover is taken out), two caudal wax filaments nearly at one-half of their body length and many long crystalline rods in adult females. (scielo.br)
- When comparing adult fish, the sunshine has a deep body and an arched back similar to the white bass. (bassonline.com)
- Sunshines can often be distinguished by broken or irregular stripes on the front half of body and straight lines on the rear half of body. (bassonline.com)
- In addition to studying body size/energy use relationships, we are looking at how light availability plays a role in seedling abundance and total growth rate. (harvard.edu)
- Danny DeMartini , a graduate student at the University of California, Santa Barbara, and lead author of the study, started out working on a kind of cell called an iridocyte . (kqed.org)
- Stripe rust disease of wheat, caused by the fungus Puccinia striiformis Westend. (g3journal.org)
- This discussion case explores the scientific process involved in implementing an animal model in the study of Alzheimer's disease. (buffalo.edu)
- Yet, supposedly, according to "visual tests," this is not linked to the mycobacteriosis that has impacted upwards of 70 per cent of striped bass in the Chesapeake Bay, a disease that eventually kills them. (dickrussell.org)
- Breeders and buyers were also interviewed to better understand the commercial importance of these criteria, according to Muriel Federici, DVM, MSc, a researcher and equine clinician practicing in Switzerland and France, and primary author of the study. (thehorse.com)
- Horse breeder William P. Newell described his family of white and near-white horses to researcher A. P. Sturtevant of Columbia University: "The colour of skin is white or so-called pink, usually with a few small dark specks in skin. (wikipedia.org)
- Dominant white horses are born with unpigmented pink skin and white hair with dark eyes, although the amount of white hair or spotting can vary depending on which genetic mutation is involved. (wikipedia.org)
- However, this has not been verified for all dominant white genetic variations. (wikipedia.org)
- The study published today has revealed the genetic basis for the striped feather characteristic of sex-linked barring. (uu.se)
- Such alterations, usually caused by genetic mutations, are rarely observed in mammals, which has sparked a new study into what is causing the zebras to change. (dailymail.co.uk)
- Topics include theoretical concepts, studies of fossil and modern brain endocasts, genetic studies, neurological structure and development, and brain evolution and its relation to behavior. (stoneageinstitute.org)
- Although the term "dominant white" is typically associated with a pure white coat, such horses may be all-white, near-white, partially white, or exhibit an irregular spotting pattern similar to that of sabino horses. (wikipedia.org)
- It was purchased from Crate & Barrel , then custom upholstered in pale linen with a wide central stripe of dark purple wool. (bostonglobe.com)
- The hindwings are greyish brown, but greyish white at the costal area and light yellow at the apex. (wikipedia.org)
- Dominant white spotting does not affect eye color, and most dominant white horses have brown eyes. (wikipedia.org)
- Any attempt at a brown striped zebra is going to look like diarrhea, that's a fact. (blogspot.com)
- He was an odd assemblage of parts, with one small brown arm and one bulky white one. (beneath-ceaseless-skies.com)
- Brown stripe downy mildew (Sclerophthora rayssiae var. (plantmanagementnetwork.org)
- zeae , cause of brown stripe downy mildew, which also appears on the USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) list of regulated plant pests (5). (plantmanagementnetwork.org)
- Because of this potential impact, rapid detection and diagnosis of brown stripe downy mildew is essential. (plantmanagementnetwork.org)
- Due to the potential impact of an introduction of brown stripe downy mildew, this information is being widely disseminated so that suspect samples can be quickly and correctly identified. (plantmanagementnetwork.org)
- Symptoms of brown stripe downy mildew. (plantmanagementnetwork.org)
- Odd cup-shaped brown tubers with bright pink buds protruding from their upper side gradually produce triangular, satiny deep green or bronze leaves and irresistible, showy flowers in brilliant shades of yellow, orange, coral, red, pink, and white. (wickedlocal.com)
- Studies indicated that highly bioavailable trace minerals such as MINTREX could help reduce the amount of damage to broiler breast tissue from stress or other causes and help in the regeneration process if damage occurs. (novusint.com)
- For the study, 42 healthy, non-smoking cyclists wore heart monitors before, during and after cycling for one hour on high- and low-traffic roads between May and September last year. (scientificamerican.com)
- But I never want to forget that Dave wore white socks pulled halfway up his calves, and tennis shoes. (flavorwire.com)
- And like Cheever's wife, Mary, I'd graduated from Sarah Lawrence, though not the school she later described, "where we wore white gloves to dinner and ate everything using a knife and fork, including bananas. (nybooks.com)
- However, this study showed that adult cells maintained their identities during regeneration, with skin cells in the stump only giving rise to skin cells in the new fin. (nih.gov)
- This agreement provides funding for an for further study based on the likelihood that independent state evaluation of adverse health releases from these activities could have effects that may have occurred in populations resulted in off-site exposures. (cdc.gov)
- Quirk's study is shedding light on how food abundance and diet affect skunk populations. (nwf.org)
- My portion of the project will be focused on understanding energy equivalence further and connecting our growth and abundance data to the larger populations that have already been studied. (harvard.edu)
- Studies of how rapid evolution can affect the ecology of populations, communities and ecosystems are difficult to accomplish and therefore rare," said Farkas. (redorbit.com)
- Dominant white horses were first described in scientific literature in 1912. (wikipedia.org)
- Because this area still requires a great deal of study, many new options and products advertised as potential solutions lack scientific support. (novusint.com)
- Special studies are typically intended to develop information necessary to increase the proficiency and scientific output of existing long-term monitoring projects. (ca.gov)
- and this study sets the stage for analyzing the Dystroglycan complex by using the power of Drosophila molecular genetics. (biologists.org)
- Desire Dalton, who studies wildlife genetics at the South African National Biodiversity Institute in Pretoria, told National Geographic that this could wreak havoc on hundreds of other zebras. (dailymail.co.uk)
- More recently, long-term studies of bottlenose dolphins have now shown that their group composition changes. (seaworld.org)
- A new study has uncovered the presence of white striping in 85% of 'standard' factory-farmed chicken stocked by UK supermarkets. (foodnavigator.com)
- As I made my way from garden to garden, I paused to study the ornamental trees and shrubs in my landscape. (wickedlocal.com)
- Dominant white is genetically distinct from Sabino and both genetically and visually distinct from gray and cremello. (wikipedia.org)
- All participants in the present study were highly proficient in reading Braille, having responded to an advertisement written in Braille in a newspaper for the visually impaired. (mpg.de)
- Similarly, domesticated strains of striped bass have been shown to have superior performance for some culture traits (Reading, McGinty, et al. (aquaculturemag.com)
- The receivers will pick up signals from transmission tags that can last 10 years on great whites. (pressherald.com)
- A rara avis among mammalogists, he's studied the familiar striped skunk over the past four years near Manitoba's fabled Delta Marsh. (nwf.org)
- There are marked improvements in domestic striped bass growth performance between filial generations captively bred over the last 17 years as evaluated by weight at age. (aquaculturemag.com)
- However, since the stripe of Gennari is already present in the first years of life and does not degenerate, it is likely to have an important role already in early infancy. (mpg.de)
- A study of Mexican women and children also raised concern, showing that higher exposure to fluoride while in utero is associated with lower scores on tests of cognitive function in childhood, both at the age of 4 and 6 to 12 years. (mercola.com)
- The tree-dwelling snail shows pronounced variation in coloring, from burnished tiger's-eye patterning to dramatic sable and white stripes. (nsf.gov)
- Since 1959, this survey has developed indices for the abundance of young striped bass when the average size is 38 mm by sampling 31 stations from San Pablo Bay through the Delta. (ca.gov)
- According to the article in the Cape Cod Times , a leading fisheries biologist in Virginia says "a lot more funding will be needed to research the connection between the striped bass and mycobacteriosis in northern waters. (dickrussell.org)
- Description - The sunshine bass is a hybrid produced by crossing a female white bass with a male striped bass. (bassonline.com)
- Habitat - Sunshines appear to prefer areas within lakes and rivers similar to striped bass and white bass. (bassonline.com)
- Eating Quality - Similar to striped and white bass. (bassonline.com)
- Most hybrid striped bass that consumers purchase are a cross between female white bass and male striped bass. (bassonline.com)
- Hybrid striped bass could still find more room for growth in the market, considering wild striped bass were in record demand in the 1970s. (bassonline.com)
- Color was of less importance, although the presence of white markings clearly made the horses more attractive to the buyers, she said. (thehorse.com)
- People are breeding for more and more white markings because these horses seem to sell better,' Federici said. (thehorse.com)
- Dominant white is a group of genetically related coat color conditions in the horse, best known for producing an all-white coat, but also for producing some forms of white spotting and white markings. (wikipedia.org)
- This indicates that the animals are able to see the contrast between adjacent stripes in the polarizing drum. (biologists.org)
- At the interim study evaluation three times fewer circumcised participants (18) had acquired HIV compared with control participants (51). (iavireport.org)