A status with BODY WEIGHT that is grossly above the acceptable or desirable weight, usually due to accumulation of excess FATS in the body. The standards may vary with age, sex, genetic or cultural background. In the BODY MASS INDEX, a BMI greater than 30.0 kg/m2 is considered obese, and a BMI greater than 40.0 kg/m2 is considered morbidly obese (MORBID OBESITY).
Body Mass Index
An indicator of body density as determined by the relationship of BODY WEIGHT to BODY HEIGHT. BMI=weight (kg)/height squared (m2). BMI correlates with body fat (ADIPOSE TISSUE). Their relationship varies with age and gender. For adults, BMI falls into these categories: below 18.5 (underweight); 18.5-24.9 (normal); 25.0-29.9 (overweight); 30.0 and above (obese). (National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
A status with BODY WEIGHT that is above certain standard of acceptable or desirable weight. In the scale of BODY MASS INDEX, overweight is defined as having a BMI of 25.0-29.9 kg/m2. Overweight may or may not be due to increases in body fat (ADIPOSE TISSUE), hence overweight does not equal "over fat".
Institute of Medicine (U.S.)
Identifies, for study and analysis, important issues and problems that relate to health and medicine. The Institute initiates and conducts studies of national policy and planning for health care and health-related education and research; it also responds to requests from the federal government and other agencies for studies and advice.
Infant, Low Birth Weight
Specialized connective tissue composed of fat cells (ADIPOCYTES). It is the site of stored FATS, usually in the form of TRIGLYCERIDES. In mammals, there are two types of adipose tissue, the WHITE FAT and the BROWN FAT. Their relative distributions vary in different species with most adipose tissue being white.
Any of various animals that constitute the family Suidae and comprise stout-bodied, short-legged omnivorous mammals with thick skin, usually covered with coarse bristles, a rather long mobile snout, and small tail. Included are the genera Babyrousa, Phacochoerus (wart hogs), and Sus, the latter containing the domestic pig (see SUS SCROFA).
Studies in which subsets of a defined population are identified. These groups may or may not be exposed to factors hypothesized to influence the probability of the occurrence of a particular disease or other outcome. Cohorts are defined populations which, as a whole, are followed in an attempt to determine distinguishing subgroup characteristics.
Failure to Thrive
Weight Reduction Programs
Agents that control agitated psychotic behavior, alleviate acute psychotic states, reduce psychotic symptoms, and exert a quieting effect. They are used in SCHIZOPHRENIA; senile dementia; transient psychosis following surgery; or MYOCARDIAL INFARCTION; etc. These drugs are often referred to as neuroleptics alluding to the tendency to produce neurological side effects, but not all antipsychotics are likely to produce such effects. Many of these drugs may also be effective against nausea, emesis, and pruritus.
A condition of fetal overgrowth leading to a large-for-gestational-age FETUS. It is defined as BIRTH WEIGHT greater than 4,000 grams or above the 90th percentile for population and sex-specific growth curves. It is commonly seen in GESTATIONAL DIABETES; PROLONGED PREGNANCY; and pregnancies complicated by pre-existing diabetes mellitus.
A 51-amino acid pancreatic hormone that plays a major role in the regulation of glucose metabolism, directly by suppressing endogenous glucose production (GLYCOGENOLYSIS; GLUCONEOGENESIS) and indirectly by suppressing GLUCAGON secretion and LIPOLYSIS. Native insulin is a globular protein comprised of a zinc-coordinated hexamer. Each insulin monomer containing two chains, A (21 residues) and B (30 residues), linked by two disulfide bonds. Insulin is used as a drug to control insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (DIABETES MELLITUS, TYPE 1).
An eating disorder that is characterized by the lack or loss of APPETITE, known as ANOREXIA. Other features include excess fear of becoming OVERWEIGHT; BODY IMAGE disturbance; significant WEIGHT LOSS; refusal to maintain minimal normal weight; and AMENORRHEA. This disorder occurs most frequently in adolescent females. (APA, Thesaurus of Psychological Index Terms, 1994)
Analysis of Variance
Procedures for finding the mathematical function which best describes the relationship between a dependent variable and one or more independent variables. In linear regression (see LINEAR MODELS) the relationship is constrained to be a straight line and LEAST-SQUARES ANALYSIS is used to determine the best fit. In logistic regression (see LOGISTIC MODELS) the dependent variable is qualitative rather than continuously variable and LIKELIHOOD FUNCTIONS are used to find the best relationship. In multiple regression, the dependent variable is considered to depend on more than a single independent variable.
Infant, Very Low Birth Weight
Infant Nutritional Physiological Phenomena
Dose-Response Relationship, Drug
Any food that has been supplemented with essential nutrients either in quantities that are greater than those present normally, or which are not present in the food normally. Fortified food includes also food to which various nutrients have been added to compensate for those removed by refinement or processing. (From Segen, Dictionary of Modern Medicine, 1992)
Carbohydrates present in food comprising digestible sugars and starches and indigestible cellulose and other dietary fibers. The former are the major source of energy. The sugars are in beet and cane sugar, fruits, honey, sweet corn, corn syrup, milk and milk products, etc.; the starches are in cereal grains, legumes (FABACEAE), tubers, etc. (From Claudio & Lagua, Nutrition and Diet Therapy Dictionary, 3d ed, p32, p277)
Diabetes Mellitus, Type 2
A subclass of DIABETES MELLITUS that is not INSULIN-responsive or dependent (NIDDM). It is characterized initially by INSULIN RESISTANCE and HYPERINSULINEMIA; and eventually by GLUCOSE INTOLERANCE; HYPERGLYCEMIA; and overt diabetes. Type II diabetes mellitus is no longer considered a disease exclusively found in adults. Patients seldom develop KETOSIS but often exhibit OBESITY.
A generic term for fats and lipoids, the alcohol-ether-soluble constituents of protoplasm, which are insoluble in water. They comprise the fats, fatty oils, essential oils, waxes, phospholipids, glycolipids, sulfolipids, aminolipids, chromolipids (lipochromes), and fatty acids. (Grant & Hackh's Chemical Dictionary, 5th ed)
Heat production, or its measurement, of an organism at the lowest level of cell chemistry in an inactive, awake, fasting state. It may be determined directly by means of a calorimeter or indirectly by calculating the heat production from an analysis of the end products of oxidation within the organism or from the amount of oxygen utilized.
Diabetes mellitus induced by PREGNANCY but resolved at the end of pregnancy. It does not include previously diagnosed diabetics who become pregnant (PREGNANCY IN DIABETICS). Gestational diabetes usually develops in late pregnancy when insulin antagonistic hormones peaks leading to INSULIN RESISTANCE; GLUCOSE INTOLERANCE; and HYPERGLYCEMIA.
Maleness or femaleness as a constituent element or influence contributing to the production of a result. It may be applicable to the cause or effect of a circumstance. It is used with human or animal concepts but should be differentiated from SEX CHARACTERISTICS, anatomical or physiological manifestations of sex, and from SEX DISTRIBUTION, the number of males and females in given circumstances.
Age as a constituent element or influence contributing to the production of a result. It may be applicable to the cause or the effect of a circumstance. It is used with human or animal concepts but should be differentiated from AGING, a physiological process, and TIME FACTORS which refers only to the passage of time.
A 28-amino acid, acylated, orexigenic peptide that is a ligand for GROWTH HORMONE SECRETAGOGUE RECEPTORS. Ghrelin is widely expressed but primarily in the stomach in the adults. Ghrelin acts centrally to stimulate growth hormone secretion and food intake, and peripherally to regulate energy homeostasis. Its large precursor protein, known as appetite-regulating hormone or motilin-related peptide, contains ghrelin and obestatin.
Prenatal Exposure Delayed Effects
Pregnancy Trimester, Third
Ideal Body Weight
Infant, Small for Gestational Age
Disease Models, Animal
Fetal Growth Retardation
The measurement of subcutaneous fat located directly beneath the skin by grasping a fold of skin and subcutaneous fat between the thumb and forefinger and pulling it away from the underlying muscle tissue. The thickness of the double layer of skin and subcutaneous tissue is then read with a caliper. The five most frequently measured sites are the upper arm, below the scapula, above the hip bone, the abdomen, and the thigh. Its application is the determination of relative fatness, of changes in physical conditioning programs, and of the percentage of body fat in desirable body weight. (From McArdle, et al., Exercise Physiology, 2d ed, p496-8)
An indication of the contribution of a food to the nutrient content of the diet. This value depends on the quantity of a food which is digested and absorbed and the amounts of the essential nutrients (protein, fat, carbohydrate, minerals, vitamins) which it contains. This value can be affected by soil and growing conditions, handling and storage, and processing.
Body Weights and Measures
Glucose Tolerance Test
Rats, Inbred Strains
Studies used to test etiologic hypotheses in which inferences about an exposure to putative causal factors are derived from data relating to characteristics of persons under study or to events or experiences in their past. The essential feature is that some of the persons under study have the disease or outcome of interest and their characteristics are compared with those of unaffected persons.
Linear POLYPEPTIDES that are synthesized on RIBOSOMES and may be further modified, crosslinked, cleaved, or assembled into complex proteins with several subunits. The specific sequence of AMINO ACIDS determines the shape the polypeptide will take, during PROTEIN FOLDING, and the function of the protein.
Statistical models which describe the relationship between a qualitative dependent variable (that is, one which can take only certain discrete values, such as the presence or absence of a disease) and an independent variable. A common application is in epidemiology for estimating an individual's risk (probability of a disease) as a function of a given risk factor.
Products in capsule, tablet or liquid form that provide dietary ingredients, and that are intended to be taken by mouth to increase the intake of nutrients. Dietary supplements can include macronutrients, such as proteins, carbohydrates, and fats; and/or MICRONUTRIENTS, such as VITAMINS; MINERALS; and PHYTOCHEMICALS.
Behaviors expressed by individuals to protect, maintain or promote their health status. For example, proper diet, and appropriate exercise are activities perceived to influence health status. Life style is closely associated with health behavior and factors influencing life style are socioeconomic, educational, and cultural.
Nutritional Physiological Phenomena
Maternal Nutritional Physiological Phenomena
A 30-kDa COMPLEMENT C1Q-related protein, the most abundant gene product secreted by FAT CELLS of the white ADIPOSE TISSUE. Adiponectin modulates several physiological processes, such as metabolism of GLUCOSE and FATTY ACIDS, and immune responses. Decreased plasma adiponectin levels are associated with INSULIN RESISTANCE; TYPE 2 DIABETES MELLITUS; OBESITY; and ATHEROSCLEROSIS.
Body Fat Distribution
Infant, Extremely Low Birth Weight
The ratio of two odds. The exposure-odds ratio for case control data is the ratio of the odds in favor of exposure among cases to the odds in favor of exposure among noncases. The disease-odds ratio for a cohort or cross section is the ratio of the odds in favor of disease among the exposed to the odds in favor of disease among the unexposed. The prevalence-odds ratio refers to an odds ratio derived cross-sectionally from studies of prevalent cases.
Adipose Tissue, White
A secreted protein of approximately 131 amino acids that is related to AGOUTI SIGNALING PROTEIN and is also an antagonist of MELANOCORTIN RECEPTOR activity. It is expressed primarily in the HYPOTHALAMUS and the ADRENAL GLAND. As a paracrine signaling molecule, AGRP is known to regulate food intake and body weight. Elevated AGRP has been associated with OBESITY.
Body mass decrease after initial gain following smoking cessation. (1/5722)BACKGROUND: Although smoking cessation is strongly associated with subsequent weight gain, it is not clear whether the initial gain in weight after smoking cessation remains over time. METHOD: Cross-sectional analyses were made, using data from periodic health examinations for workers, on the relationship between body mass index (BMI) and the length of smoking cessation. In addition, linear regression coefficients of BMI on the length of cessation were estimated according to alcohol intake and sport activity, to examine the modifying effect of these factors on the weight of former smokers. RESULTS: Means of BMI were 23.1 kg/m2, 23.3 kg/m2, 23.6 kg/m2 for light/medium smokers, heavy smokers and never smokers, respectively. Among former smokers who had smoked > or = 25 cigarettes a day, odds ratio (OR) of BMI >25 kg/m2 were 1.88 (95% confidence interval [CI] : 1.05-3.35), 1.32 (95% CI : 0.74-2.34), 0.66 (95% CI: 0.33-1.31) for those with 2-4 years, 5-7 years, and 8-10 years of smoking cessation, respectively. The corresponding OR among those who previously consumed <25 cigarettes a day were 1.06 (95% CI: 0.58-1.94), 1.00 (95% CI: 0.58-1.71), and 1.49 (95% CI: 0.95-2.32). CONCLUSIONS: The results suggest that although heavy smokers may experience large weight gain and weigh more than never smokers in the few years after smoking cessation, they thereafter lose weight to the never smoker level, while light and moderate smokers gain weight up to the never smoker level without any excess after smoking cessation. (+info)
Effect of meat (beef, chicken, and bacon) on rat colon carcinogenesis. (2/5722)High intake of red meat or processed meat is associated with increased risk of colon cancer. In contrast, consumption of white meat (chicken) is not associated with risk and might even reduce the occurrence of colorectal cancer. We speculated that a diet containing beef or bacon would increase and a diet containing chicken would decrease colon carcinogenesis in rats. One hundred female Fischer 344 rats were given a single injection of azoxymethane (20 mg/kg i.p.), then randomized to 10 different AIN-76-based diets. Five diets were adjusted to 14% fat and 23% protein and five other diets to 28% fat and 40% protein. Fat and protein were supplied by 1) lard and casein, 2) olive oil and casein, 3) beef, 4) chicken with skin, and 5) bacon. Meat diets contained 30% or 60% freeze-dried fried meat. The diets were given ad libitum for 100 days, then colon tumor promotion was assessed by the multiplicity of aberrant crypt foci [number of crypts per aberrant crypt focus (ACF)]. The ACF multiplicity was nearly the same in all groups, except bacon-fed rats, with no effect of fat and protein level or source (p = 0.7 between 8 groups by analysis of variance). In contrast, compared with lard- and casein-fed controls, the ACF multiplicity was reduced by 12% in rats fed a diet with 30% bacon and by 20% in rats fed a diet with 60% bacon (p < 0.001). The water intake was higher in bacon-fed rats than in controls (p < 0.0001). The concentrations of iron and bile acids in fecal water and total fatty acids in feces changed with diet, but there was no correlation between these concentrations and the ACF multiplicity. Thus the hypothesis that colonic iron, bile acids, or total fatty acids can promote colon tumors is not supported by this study. The results suggest that, in rats, beef does not promote the growth of ACF and chicken does not protect against colon carcinogenesis. A bacon-based diet appears to protect against carcinogenesis, perhaps because bacon contains 5% NaCl and increased the rats' water intake. (+info)
Long term orexigenic effect of a novel melanocortin 4 receptor selective antagonist. (3/5722)1. We designed and synthesized several novel cyclic MSH analogues and tested their affinities for cells expressing the MC1, MC3, MC4 and MC5 receptors. 2. One of the substances HS028 (cyclic [AcCys11, dichloro-D-phenylalanine14, Cys18, Asp-NH2(22)]-beta-MSH11-22) showed high affinity (Ki of 0.95nM) and high (80 fold) MC4 receptor selectivity over the MC3 receptor. HS028 thus shows both higher affinity and higher selectivity for the MC4 receptor compared to the earlier first described MC4 receptor selective substance HS014. 3. HS028 antagonised a alpha-MSH induced increase in cyclic AMP production in transfected cells expressing the MC3 and MC4 receptors, whereas it seemed to be a partial agonist for the MC1 and MC5 receptors. 4. Chronic intracerebroventricularly (i.c.v.) administration of HS028 by osmotic minipumps significantly increased both food intake and body weight in a dose dependent manner without tachyphylaxis for a period of 7 days. 5. This is the first report demonstrating that an MC4 receptor antagonist can increase food intake and body weight during chronic administration providing further evidence that the MC4 receptor is an important mediator of long term weight homeostasis. (+info)
Accelerated intimal hyperplasia and increased endogenous inhibitors for NO synthesis in rabbits with alloxan-induced hyperglycaemia. (4/5722)1. We examined whether endogenous inhibitors of NO synthesis are involved in the augmentation of intimal hyperplasia in rabbits with hyperglycaemia induced by alloxan. 2. Four weeks after the endothelial denudation of carotid artery which had been performed 12 weeks after alloxan, the intimal hyperplasia was greatly augmented with hyperglycaemia. The degree of hyperplasia was assessed using three different parameters of histopathological findings as well as changes in luminal area and intima: media ratio. 3. There were positive and significant correlations between intima:media ratio, plasma glucose, and concentrations of N(G)-monomethyl-L-arginine (L-NMMA) and N(G), N(G)-dimethyl-L-arginine (ADMA) in endothelial cells, that is, the intima:media ratio became greater as plasma glucose and endothelial L-NMMA and ADMA were increased. Furthermore, endothelial L-NMMA and ADMA were increased in proportion to the increase in plasma glucose. 4. In contrast, there were inverse and significant correlations between cyclic GMP production by carotid artery strips with endothelium and plasma glucose, between cyclic GMP production and endothelial L-NMMA and ADMA, and between the intima:media ratio and cyclic GMP production. 5. Exogenously applied L-NMMA and ADMA inhibited cyclic GMP production in a concentration-dependent manner. IC50 values were determined to be 12.1 microM for the former and 26.2 microM for the latter. The cyclic GMP production was abolished after the deliberate removal of endothelium from the artery strips. 6. These results suggest that the augmentation of intimal hyperplasia with hyperglycaemia is closely related to increased accumulation of L-NMMA and ADMA with hyperglycaemia, which would result in an accelerated reduction in NO production/release by endothelial cells. (+info)
The Janus-faced aspect of 'dry weight'. (5/5722)BACKGROUND: The goal of haemodialysis treatment in end-stage renal disease (ESRD) patients is to correct the complications of the uraemic condition. Among the main complications are fluid overload and subsequent hypertension that are corrected by achievement of 'dry weight'. We report in this study the evolution of post-dialysis body-weight and blood pressure in patients who began their HD treatment in our unit. METHODS: We studied the monthly evolution of post-dialysis body-weight (expressed as a percentage of pre-dialysis body-weight at the first HD treatment) and predialysis mean arterial pressure (MAP) over 24 months in 61 patients (21 females, mean age 59.8 years; 20% diabetic), treated with cellulosic membranes for 8 h, 3 times a week. RESULTS: The post-dialysis body-weight decreased between the onset of HD and month 2 (M2) (-4.40+/-0.52%). Then it went up, reaching -1.56+/-0.96% at M6, +0.3+/-1.27% at M12, +1.27+/-1.38% at M18 and +1.64+/-1.33% at M24. The post-dialysis body-weight increased by 6% between M2 and M24. The mean arterial pressure (MAP) decreased from 111.3+/-2.5 mmHg at M0 to 94.4+/-1.7 at M6, and then remained stable after M6. Between M2 and M6 the post-dialysis body-weight increased, whereas the predialysis MAP continued to decline. The incidence of hypotension episodes was maximal during the first 4 months of HD treatment. CONCLUSIONS: After the second month of dialysis treatment, the simultaneous increase of post-dialysis body-weight and decrease of pre-dialysis MAP are related to the effects of two processes, i.e. increased weight as the result of anabolism induced by the HD treatment on the one hand and normalization of blood pressure by fluid removal on the other. Continuous clinical assessment of the patient is necessary to provide adequate prescription of post-dialysis body-weight. During the first months of HD treatment, the nephrologist, like Janus, is a double-faced gatekeeper: he must be willing to decrease post-dialysis weight to achieve 'dry weight' and to normalize blood pressure, but he must also be prepared to increase it to compensate for anabolism and to avoid episodes of hypotension. (+info)
A controlled trial of sustained-release bupropion, a nicotine patch, or both for smoking cessation. (6/5722)BACKGROUND AND METHODS: Use of nicotine-replacement therapies and the antidepressant bupropion helps people stop smoking. We conducted a double-blind, placebo-controlled comparison of sustained-release bupropion (244 subjects), a nicotine patch (244 subjects), bupropion and a nicotine patch (245 subjects), and placebo (160 subjects) for smoking cessation. Smokers with clinical depression were excluded. Treatment consisted of nine weeks of bupropion (150 mg a day for the first three days, and then 150 mg twice daily) or placebo, as well as eight weeks of nicotine-patch therapy (21 mg per day during weeks 2 through 7, 14 mg per day during week 8, and 7 mg per day during week 9) or placebo. The target day for quitting smoking was usually day 8. RESULTS: The abstinence rates at 12 months were 15.6 percent in the placebo group, as compared with 16.4 percent in the nicotine-patch group, 30.3 percent in the bupropion group (P<0.001), and 35.5 percent in the group given bupropion and the nicotine patch (P<0.001). By week 7, subjects in the placebo group had gained an average of 2.1 kg, as compared with a gain of 1.6 kg in the nicotine-patch group, a gain of 1.7 kg in the bupropion group, and a gain of 1.1 kg in the combined-treatment group (P<0.05). Weight gain at seven weeks was significantly less in the combined-treatment group than in the bupropion group and the placebo group (P<0.05 for both comparisons). A total of 311 subjects (34.8 percent) discontinued one or both medications. Seventy-nine subjects stopped treatment because of adverse events: 6 in the placebo group (3.8 percent), 16 in the nicotine-patch group (6.6 percent), 29 in the bupropion group (11.9 percent), and 28 in the combined-treatment group (11.4 percent). The most common adverse events were insomnia and headache. CONCLUSIONS: Treatment with sustained-release bupropion alone or in combination with a nicotine patch resulted in significantly higher long-term rates of smoking cessation than use of either the nicotine patch alone or placebo. Abstinence rates were higher with combination therapy than with bupropion alone, but the difference was not statistically significant. (+info)
The effect of age and teat order on alpha1-acid glycoprotein, neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio, cortisol, and average daily gain in commercial growing pigs. (7/5722)The objectives of the study were to evaluate age and teat order on a performance trait, average daily gain, and on physiological stress indicators, alpha1-acid glycoprotein (AGP), neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio (N:L), and cortisol in commercial growing pigs from weaning to market age. Pigs (n = 129) from five commercial California farms were weighed and blood-sampled at 28-d intervals from 28 to 168 d of age. Laboratory assays were performed from blood samples to quantify cortisol, AGP, and N:L. Age and facility effects (P<.001), but not teat order effects (P>.05), were found for all three physiological traits and ADG. Pigs that routinely suckled from teats 1, 4, or 6 (numbered from anterior to posterior on the upper teat bank) had similar (P>.05) ADG and BW throughout the production cycle. No correlation (P> .05) was found between cortisol, AGP, and N:L. The use of these physiological and production traits as stress and health indices of growing pigs in commercial facilities has limitations in comparing data between facilities or different ages of pigs. (+info)
Manipulation of the type of fat consumed by growing pigs affects plasma and mononuclear cell fatty acid compositions and lymphocyte and phagocyte functions. (8/5722)To investigate the immunological effect of feeding pigs different dietary lipids, 3-wk-old, weaned pigs were fed for 40 d on one of five diets, which differed only in the type of oil present (the oil contributed 5% by weight of the diet and the total fat content of the diets was 8% by weight). The oils used were soybean (control diet), high-oleic sunflower oil (HOSO), sunflower oil (SO), canola oil (CO), and fish oil (FO; rich in long-chain [n-3] polyunsaturared fatty acids). There were no significant differences in initial or final animal weights, weight gains, or health scores among the groups. There were no significant differences in the concentration of anti-Escherichia coli vaccine antibodies in the gut lumens of pigs fed the different diets. The fatty acid composition of the diet markedly affected the fatty acid composition of the plasma and of mononuclear cells (a mixture of lymphocytes, monocytes, and macrophages) prepared from the blood, lymph nodes, or thymus. The FO feeding resulted in a significant increase in the number of circulating granulocytes. The FO feeding significantly decreased the proportion of phagocytes engaged in uptake of E. coli and decreased the activity of those phagocytes that were active. The proliferation of lymphocytes in cultures of whole blood from pigs fed the HOSO, SO, or FO diets was less than in those from pigs fed the CO diet. Proliferation of lymph node lymphocytes from SO- or FO-fed pigs was less than that from control, CO-, or HOSO-fed pigs. The natural killer cell activity of blood lymphocytes from pigs fed the FO diet was significantly reduced compared with those from pigs fed the CO diet. The concentration of PGE2 in the medium of cultured blood, lymph node, or thymic mononuclear cells was lower if the cells came from pigs fed the FO diet. Thus, the type of oil included in the diet of growing pigs affects the numbers and functional activities of immune cells in different body compartments. (+info)
Leveraging Action to Support Dissemination of Pregnancy Weight Gain Guidelines by Committee on Implementation of the IOM...
Leveraging Action to Support Dissemination of Pregnancy Weight Gain Guidelines (Workshop Summary) by Committee on Implementation of the IOM Pregnancy Weight Gain Guidelines (ISBN: 978-0-309-28967-2); Published by National Academies Pressin Sep 2013. Compare book prices on Bookwire.com to buy books from the lowest price among top online book retailers
Excessive gestational weight gain in accordance with the IOM criteria and the risk of hypertensive disorders of pregnancy: a...
Excessive gestational weight gain (GWG) is a potential risk factor for hypertensive disorders of pregnancy (HDP). We systematically reviewed three electronic databases for relevant articles published in English: PubMed, EMBASE and Web of Science. The Newcastle-Ottawa Scale was used to assess study quality. Random-effects meta-analyses were performed to supply a pooled estimation of the OR comparing the risk of HDP among healthy pregnant women with and without excessive GWG. The pooled estimation for the association between excessive GWG and the risk of HDPs yielded an odds ratio (OR) of 1.79 (95% CI: 1.61-1.99). A subgroup analysis showed that women who had excessive GWG were more likely to have an HDP (OR 1.82; 95% CI 1.53-2.17), preeclampsia (OR 1.92; 95% CI 1.36-2.72), or gestational hypertension (OR 1.67; 95% CI 1.43-1.95). The pooled estimation for the association between excessive GWG and the risk of HDPs among pregestational normal weight women yielded an OR of 1.57 (95% CI 1.26-1.96). A subgroup
rian.ie - Result: Atlantic-dip: excessive gestational weight gain and pregnancy outcomes in women with gestational ...
Context: Women who have diabetes mellitus during pregnancy are at higher risk of adverse outcomes. Excessive gestational weight gain (GWG) is also emerging as a risk factor for maternofetal complications, and in 2009, the Institute of Medicine published recommendations for appropriate GWG. It is unclear whether excessive GWG confers additional risk to women with diabetes in pregnancy and whether Institute of Medicine recommendations are applicable to this population. Objective: The objective of this study was to examine whether excessive GWG in pregnancies complicated by diabetes mellitus is associated with higher adverse obstetric outcomes. Design: This was an observational study. Setting: The study was conducted at five antenatal centers along the Irish Atlantic seaboard. Participants: 802 women with diabetes in pregnancy participated in the study. Main Outcome Measure: Maternal outcomes examined included preeclampsia, gestational hypertension, and cesarean delivery. Fetal outcomes included ...
Pregnancy weight gain may harm childs future health
Nutrition: Pregnancy weight gain may harm childs future health. Women who are pregnant and gain too much weight may be raising their child's…
Can physical activity reduce excessive gestational weight gain? Findings from a Chinese urban pregnant women cohort study |...
Excessive gestational weight gain (GWG) poses negative impact on mothers and their children. It is important to understand the modifiable lifestyle factors associated with excessive GWG during pregnancy to guide future public health practice. To investigate the association between physical activity during pregnancy and GWG of Chinese urban pregnant women. A pregnant women cohort was established between 2005 and 2007 in Changzhou, China. Physical activity levels of pregnant women were assessed using pedometer in the 2nd and 3rd trimester, respectively. According to step counts, pregnant women were categorized into 4 different physical activity groups: Sedentary, Low Active, Somewhat Active and Active. The pregnant women were followed for eligibility and data collection from the 2nd trimester to delivery. Multiple linear regression and multiple binary logistic model were applied to determine the association between physical activity and GWG. Physical activity levels and GWG of 862 pregnant women were
Working conditions and major weight gain - a prospective cohort study<...
TY - JOUR. T1 - Working conditions and major weight gain - a prospective cohort study. AU - Roos, Eira. AU - Lallukka, Tea. AU - Rahkonen, Ossi. AU - Lahelma, Eero. AU - Laaksonen, Mikko. PY - 2013. Y1 - 2013. N2 - ABSTRACT The objective of this study was to examine the associations of working conditions with major weight gain. Three different groups of work-related factors were examined: (i) work arrangements, (ii) physical working conditions, and (iii) psychosocial working conditions. The data are based on the Helsinki Health Study (HHS) questionnaire surveys. A baseline mail survey was made among middle-aged employees of the City of Helsinki in 2000-2002. A follow-up survey was made in 2007. Regression analyses with odds ratios and 95% confidence intervals were calculated. During the 5- to 7-year follow-up, 26% of women and 24% of men gained in weight 5 kg or more. Working conditions were mostly unassociated with weight gain. However, nighttime shift work, physical threat at work, and ...
Second Trimester Weight Gain Crucial in Overall Pregnancy Weight Gain
Pregnancy weight gain. Some of us gain too little. Some of us gain too much. But we often fail to recognize just how much weight were going to gain in that last trimester. And interventions used in the last trimester may be futile at managing excessive or too little weight gain. Thankfully, it seems that researchers have determined a possible resolution to the pregnancy weight gain dilemma.. Gaining too much weight can increase the mothers risk for both hypertension and diabetes. These conditions can put the baby at risk for long-term health problems, like childhood obesity, and possibly even necessitating an early delivery because of pregnancy complications. Gaining too little weight can lead to complications like pre-term birth and smaller-than-gestational-age infants.. Essentially, the recommended weight gain guidelines are based on body weight before pregnancy. For women that are underweight before pregnancy, the Institute of Medicine recommends a weight gain of 28 to 40 pounds. Average ...
download-Associations of the pre-pregnancy body mass index and gestational weight gain with pregnancy outcomes in Taiwanese...
亚太临床营养杂志Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition,download,BACKGROUND:Pre-pregnancy weight and gestational weight gain (GWG) are important factors in both maternal and infant outcomes. Little information is available inrelation to different levels of pre-pregnancy body mass index (BMI) and body weight gain on obstetric outcomes in Taiwan. This study investigated the associations between pregnancy complications with pre-pregnant BMI and GWG, in Taiwanese women. METHODS: Data were extracted from a delivery room information bank on all women delivering singleton babies in a medical center. Eight hundred and sixty pregnant women were included. The collected variables included basic information, GWG, and pregnancy and neonatal outcomes. Pregnant women were categorized according to their pre-pregnant BMI and GWG to evaluate the impacts of pre-pregnant BMI and maternal weight gain on the risk of pregnancy complications. Univariate and multivariable logistic regression analyses were
Can We Predict Future Weight Gain? | Dr. Sharmas Obesity Notes
This morning, at the XI International Congress of Obesity, I attended a review session on the issue of whether or not it is possible to predict weight gain.. In his introductory comments, Johannes Hebebrand from Essen, Germany, emphasized that even in carriers of mutations that are associated with obesity (for e.g. mutations in the MC4 receptor), excess weight is not necessarily seen in all or even the majority of carriers of such mutations. These findings suggest that current genetic markers are not sufficient to clinically predict an individuals risk of weight gain.. Eric Ravussin (picture), from the Pennington Research Centre in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, the winner of the 2010 Willendorf Award for Clinical Research, pointed out that one of the strongest predictors of future weight gain may well be lower energy requirements, which in turn is closely related to fat-free mass.. This makes intuitive sense, as it would obviously be easier for someone with lesser energy requirements to move into ...
Unexplained Weight Gain | Made Man
Unexplained weight gain can be a frustrating occurrence that can leave you puzzled as to why you are experiencing the weight gain. Sudden weight gain can occur in both men and women, but it is slightly more common in women. For the majority of people, weight gain occurs when you are consuming more calories than your body burns off, resulting in extra fat. But for some people, weight gain may seem to simply come out of nowhere. Unexplained weight gain occurs when you begin to gain weight for unknown reasons. Almost always, weight gain is caused by something, whether it be an undiscovered disease, or just overeating. A common cause for weight gain in both men and women is Hypothyroidism, a disease that causes malfunction in the thyroid gland. When the thyroid is not getting enough of the thyroid hormone, the metabolism slows down considerably, causing weight gain. Usually those who are experiencing hypothyroidism will also feel tired, weak, and lethargic at times. A lack of essential fatty acids ...
Early Pregnancy Weight Gain - The Obesity Society
16,000 participants showed early weight gain had the largest effect on infants birth weight FOR RELEASE:. August 28, 2017. CONTACT:. Robyn Gordon, The Obesity Society: [email protected] SILVER SPRING, MD: Weight gain in early pregnancy has the greatest impact on infant size at birth, according to a new study published today in Obesity. The study is the largest ever analysis of the effect that weight gain in early pregnancy has on infant size.. The study examined 16,218 pregnant mothers throughout the first, second and third trimesters in Tianjin, China to determine the risk of infants size at birth. Results found weight gain early in pregnancy, before 24 weeks-regardless of the weight gain later-had the greatest impact on infant size. Infants born to women with weight gain that exceeds the 2009 Institute of Medicine guidelines for weight gain during pregnancy, prior to 24 weeks, were 2.5 times more likely to be born large.. Maternal obesity and weight gain in pregnancy have been ...
Rapid Abdominal Weight Gain May Be Caused By Serious Medical Condition
Rapid abdominal weight gain may be a serious health issue. Although it may be triggered by poor exercise and diet, it could also be a symptom of the following m
Avoiding weight gain with zyprexa / Neurontin lawsuit 2008
This drug may also cause significant weight gain and a rise in.Among adolescent patients, mean weight gain by baseline BMI category was 11.5 kg (25.3 lb.How to control weight gain when. outlines a plan to prevent excess weight gain when patients.Orthostatic hypotension with antihypertensives, alcohol, benzodiazepines, others.Reversing Antidepressant Weight Gain. like Zyprexa that cause substantial weight gain suggest.. Zyprexa may help prevent symptoms of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Less common Zyprexa side effects: Dry mouth, Weight gain ...
Stroking Calves Increases Weight Gain, Study Shows - The Cattle Site
AUSTRIA - A recent study from the University of Veterinary Medicine in Vienna found that stroking helps calves develop a better relationship with humans and increases weight gain.
Pregnancy Weight Gain | Healthy rate, Where pounds go, nutrition, iron
The rate at which you gain weight is carefully monitored by your doctor. Gaining or losing a lot of weight in a short time can be a sign of problems. There are no set rules for the amount of weight to gain. It varies from mother to mother and usually depends on the mothers pre-pregnancy weight and build. For mothers who were underweight before pregnancy, the recommended rate of weight gain is about five pounds during the first 13 weeks, and about a pound a week from then on. Total weight gain should be 28-40 pounds.. For normal weight mothers, the recommended weight gain is three to five pounds during the first 13 weeks, then about a pound a week from then on, for a total of 25 to 35 pounds. For overweight mothers, the recommended weight gain is about two pounds during the first 13 weeks and about 2/3 of a pound per week from then on, for a total of 15 to 25 pounds. Mothers under 52 should gain 18 to 30 pounds. Teen mothers should gain 28 to 40 pounds. Mothers carrying twins should gain 35 to ...
PLOS ONE: Association of Second and Third Trimester Weight Gain in Pregnancy with Maternal and Fetal Outcomes
Objective To investigate the association between weekly weight gain, during the second and third trimesters, classified according to the 2009 Institute of Medicine (IOM/NRC) recommendations, and maternal and fetal outcomes. Methods Gestational weight gain was evaluated in 2,244 pregnant women of the Brazilian Study of Gestational Diabetes (Estudo Brasileiro do Diabetes Gestacional - EBDG). Outcomes were cesarean delivery, preterm birth and small or large for gestational age birth (SGA, LGA). Associations between inadequate weight gain and outcomes were estimated using robust Poisson regression adjusting for pre-pregnancy body mass index, trimester-specific weight gain, age, height, skin color, parity, education, smoking, alcohol consumption, gestational diabetes and hypertensive disorders in pregnancy. Results In fully adjusted models, in the second trimester, insufficient weight gain was associated with SGA (relative risk [RR] 1.72, 95% confidence interval [CI] 1.26-2.33), and excessive weight gain
Rapid weight gain...other causes? - Welcome to the Preeclampsia Foundation
Rapid weight gain is one of the symptoms of PE (well as you know) and I would advise your friend to be seen by her midwife/doc and get clarification. Weight gain can be tricky as it can come in spurts and is different for everybody. Looking back at my two pregnancies, I did have a lot of rapid weight gain in my first and gained at a much steadier pace in my second. I did not have excessive weight with my second and still developed severe PE. You just never know ...
Responsibility of the Obstetrician to the Fetus: II. Influence of Prepregnancy Weight and Pregnancy Weight Gain on Birthweight...
Responsibility of the Obstetrician to the Fetus: II. Influence of Prepregnancy Weight and Pregnancy Weight Gain on Birthweight Obstet. Gynecol., May 1975; 45: 481 - 487.
Correlation between maternal weight gain during gestation and fetal and placental growth in rats | Garvan Institute of Medical...
In rats, maternal weight gain during the later third of pregnancy was correlated with fetal body weight, brain weight and DNA content as well as placental weight near term. Fetal body and placental growth was unrelated to maternal weight increases during pregnancy. A significant inverse correlation between fetal brain DNA content and maternal weight gain was found. This was related to litter size since the smaller the litter size, the less the maternal weight gain during pregnancy and the greater the DNA content of the fetal brain. These data emphasize the importance of controlling for litter number in growth studies.
Menopause Weight Gain
Menopause weight gain is natural and really nothing to worry about (unless it is a rapid weight gain). If you suddenly experience rapid weight gain or weight loss you should visit your doctor immediately.. Naturally you should start to gain around 1 -2 pounds a year, with the average weight gain being in the region of ten to fifteen pounds during menopause. This is natural and is your bodys response to changing hormone levels…so dont fret about it!. You may be eating exactly the same foods as before but your metabolism may slow down and not burn as many calories as before. The change in hormones can cause stress and anxiety and when anxious or stressed many people comfort eat. At the same time the body can react to stress by turning calories in to fat as it expects to be without food for a while, the so called famine effect. The extra weight can actually be beneficial in helping to reduce hot flashes and prevent osteoporosis.. The diet industry will have us believe that weight gain is simply ...
Mood and Excess Weight Gain in Adolescent Pregnancy - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov
Obesity and its negative health consequences such as type 2 diabetes and heart disease are major public health concerns. Pregnancy is an ideal opportunity to intervene with young women both to reduce their own likelihood of long-term obesity and to potentially lessen their offsprings obesity risk. Interventions to reduce excessive weight gain during adolescent pregnancy may be particularly important. 50-70% of adolescents gain too much weight during pregnancy, and this excess gain significantly increases their risk of high postpartum weight retention and long-term obesity. Depression and stress-which are common in adolescent pregnancy-also may play a role. Pregnant adolescent females, as well as non-pregnant females, who have more frequent feelings of depression or stress are more likely to gain weight too rapidly or to gain too much weight as they grow. In the current project, the investigators seek to develop a program to prevent excess weight gain that will be feasible to administer in the ...
Overweight, obesity and weight gain up to three years after liver transplantation
Patients who underwent LTx presented with a progressive increase in BMI and excessive weight (table II). The median BMI and the prevalence of obesity three years after LTx were greater than before liver disease. Greater relative weight gain was seen the first year after LTx (an average weight gain of 9.0 kg in relation to the weight the first post-LTx appointment). Patients with overweight or obesity at each evaluation had greater weight loss (in relation to their weight before liver disease and immediately after LTx) and greater weight gain in relation to those with under or normal weight.. A significant number of patients who were overweight or obese one, two and three years after LTx were also overweight before having liver disease (McNemar test; p , 0.01), but the percentage of patients with excessive weight was higher within two and three years after surgery than before liver disease (51.3% and 56.3% versus 49.4%). Independent risk factors for weight gain one, two and three years after ...
Weight Gain In Pregnancy Linked To Childhood Obesity - Redorbit
Brett Smith for redOrbit.com - Your Universe Online. According to a new Arkansas-based study, a womans weight gain during pregnancy has a direct impact on her childs risk of obesity through age 12.. The study, which was published on Tuesday in the journal PLOS Medicine, included over 41,000 mothers and considered several confounding factors such as birth weight and genetics.. From the public health perspective, excessive weight gain during pregnancy may have a potentially significant influence on propagation of the obesity epidemic, warned study author Dr. David S. Ludwig, an obesity prevention expert at the Harvard School of Public Health.. He suggested programs to restrict pregnancy weight gain may help prevent some cases of childhood obesity.. Pregnancy presents an attractive target for obesity prevention programs, because women tend to be particularly motivated to change behavior during this time, Ludwig said.. The study researchers noted a familial tendency toward obesity. However, ...
Mothers Pregnancy Weight Gain May Influence Childs Obesity Risk - MedicineNet
Children born to mothers who gain either too much or too little weight during their pregnancy are more likely to be overweight or obese, a new study has found.
Zoloft weight gain withdrawal - Prix viagra pharmacie algerie 2017
Our large selection from wellbutrin sr xl paxil weight gain best. 2010 drinking on sex drive, an experience ativan withdrawal. Update on zoloft weight loss.Un tour de magie au montage dr. john guiteras concisely states generic zoloft online pharmacy no zoloft withdrawal wikipedia, zoloft weight gain wikipedia, zoloft.I want to gain weight because I am eating more not due to a medication. It does seem, after a quick google search, that Zoloft can give extra weight gain.Effexor, Prestic et Zoloft. et javous ne pas etre une tres bonne exemple puis que je suis tres réactive au médicament en général.Can I take before surgery 6 mg a day flush klonopin out your system mixing zoloft. Swollen glands gain weight on can you mix ambien with withdrawal and weight gain.. en proper disposal of celexa purchase no prescription why does celexa cause weight gain. usa zoloft weight loss. weight loss withdrawal.. such as Zoloft or Prozac because Wellbutrin. Wellbutrin does not cause weight gain,. Addiction Blog ...
Pregnancy Weight Gain Calculator | Weight Gain Chart - Momjunction
Try our Pregnancy Weight Gain Calculator to keep a check on your weight gain during pregnancy. Also find a printable week by week weight gain chart based on your Pre-Pregnancy BMI.
Plasma Metabolite Profiling and Search for Biomarkers of Metabolic Dysfunction in Dogs Undergoing Rapid Weight Gain | Bentham...
Title:Plasma Metabolite Profiling and Search for Biomarkers of Metabolic Dysfunction in Dogs Undergoing Rapid Weight Gain. VOLUME: 3 ISSUE: 2. Author(s):Maria R. C. de Godoy, Kirk L. Pappan, Ryan W. Grant and Kelly S. Swanson. Affiliation:Department of Animal Sciences, University of Illinois, 180 Animal Sciences Laboratory, 1207 W. Gregory Drive, Urbana, IL 61801.. Keywords:Amino acid, canine, lipid, metabolome, obesity, oxidative stress.. Abstract:The objective of this experiment was to use untargeted plasma metabolite profiling to identify metabolite changes and potential biomarkers of metabolic dysfunction that accompanies rapid weight gain in dogs. Five intact female beagles were fed ad libitum for a period of 24 wk. Blood samples were collected after an overnight fast via jugular venipuncture at 0, 4, 8, 12, and 24 wk of feeding. Plasma was stored at -80°C until GC-MS and LC-MS-MS analyses. A total of 284 named biochemicals were identified, with as many as 175 metabolites being altered ( ...
Higher Weight and Weight Gain after 4 Years of Age Rather than Weight at Birth Are Associated with Adiposity, Markers of...
Background: Fetal and early life growth is associated with adult risk of obesity and cardiometabolic disease. However, little is known about the relative importance of birth weight and successive periods of weight gain on markers of cardiometabolic risk in childhood in low-income populations. Objectives: The objective was to study associations of birth weight and weight gain velocities in selected age intervals from birth to 60 mo with height, fat-free mass (FFM), and markers of adiposity and cardiometabolic risk at 60 mo. Methods: In a prospective cohort study of 375 Ethiopian children aged 60 mo, we estimated individual weight gain velocities in the periods between birth and 3, 6, 24, 48, and 60 mo using linear-spline mixed-effects modeling. Subsequently, we analyzed associations of birth weight, weight gain velocities, and current weight with height, FFM, and markers of adiposity and cardiometabolic risk. Results: Weight gain from 48 to 60 mo and weight at 60 mo rather than birth weight were ...
Get PDF - Contribution of prepregnancy body mass index and gestational weight gain to adverse neonatal outcomes: population...
Dzakpasu, S.; Fahey, J.; Kirby, R.S.; Tough, S.C.; Chalmers, B.; Heaman, M.I.; Bartholomew, S.; Biringer, A.; Darling, E.K.; Lee, L.S.; McDonald, S.D., 2016: Contribution of prepregnancy body mass index and gestational weight gain to adverse neonatal outcomes: population attributable fractions for Canada
Menopause Symptoms: Menopause and Weight Gain...Whats the Connection?
Numerous studies have shown that menopause and weight gain go hand in hand. There are probably many different factors that cause weight gain during menopause, but some studies suggest that the weight gain is related to decreased estrogen levels.. Gaining weight is frustrating and health threatening. It can also affect a womans sense of well being. A two year study about menopause and weight gain was recently concluded in Australia. 7,270 healthy women between the ages of 45 and 50 were surveyed concerning their weight and their sense of physical and mental well-being. Only half were able to maintain the same weight with which they began the study. More than one third gained 5 pounds or more. Even this small weight change negatively affected the groups sense of mental well-being. Some sources say that the average weight gain during menopause is 12-15 pounds, if this is true, then it could account for the fact that a womans risk of developing heart disease after menopause increases ...
5 Reasons People Gain Weight - Molly McNamee
Lets keep it simple: Youre gaining weight. Why?. There could be several reasons for your weight gain. The first thing I want you to do is identify how long it has taken for this weight gain to happen. Was it over the course of a couple months, a year, or a few weeks? This answer can help identify the cause.. If you have had a very sudden weight gain, its best to look over the past few weeks and see what has been different in your lifestyle. If the weight gain has come on over a longer period of time, it can be more difficult to remember everything youve done but you can probably notice some changes.. Next, if you are concerned your weight gain may be health related I recommend you see a doctor. If you have seen sudden weight gain without any lifestyle changes, it is very important you take precaution. Thyroid issues, intestinal problems, diabetes, and a slew of other health issues can cause weight gain. It is best to rule out any medical complications before making a plan to lose ...
Home Remedies For Weight Gain | Weight Gain Diet | Tips to Gain Weight
Weight Gain Tips - Home remedies for weight gain are no different from those for weight loss. A balance of nutritional diet and regular exercise can help an individual to gain healthy weight and maintain it.
Smoking cessation and weight gain<...
TY - JOUR. T1 - Smoking cessation and weight gain. AU - LEISCHOW, SCOTT J.. AU - STITZER, MAXINE L.. PY - 1991/5. Y1 - 1991/5. N2 - Significant progress has been made in the research on smoking cessation and weight gain since the 1988 Surgeon Generals Report, particularly on mechanisms and treatment methods. Smoking cessation results in weight gain in most quitters, primarily due to changes in caloric intake and to a lesser extent from changes in energy expenditure. Thus far, pharmacologic treatments appear more efficacious at preventing the weight gain than behavioral methods. And regarding who should receive treatment, preliminary research suggests that females are more concerned about postcessation weight gain than males, and it is the concern about weight gain‐more than the weight gain itself‐that appears to play an important role in relapse to smoking. Given the progress that has been made along the spectrum from mechanisms to treatment, those concerned about postcessation weight now ...
Does Zoloft Cause Weight Gain Or Loss - www.gbsda.org
However, in some individuals it can lead to weight changes. However, in some people it can lead to weight changes. Even though research shows that in general, the amount of weight a person is likely. Weight loss on Wellbutrin may happen because this drug affects the levels of dopamine, which controls energy, appetite and motivation 1. Not once was I told that zoloft could cause weight gain, particularly if you increase your dosage. Of the other SSRIs, which include Prozac, Lexapro and Celexa, Zoloft may be least likely to cause weight gain. Weight gain caused by Zoloft may be due to fluid retention, lack of exercise, increased appetite, or other 3/5 Why SSRIs Cause Weight Gain and What to Do About It https://www.verywellmind.com/ssris-and-weight-gain-1067614 Nov 28, 2019 · For some people who take an SSRI, such as Prozac (fluoxetine) or Zoloft (sertraline), one of these is weight gain. Antidepressants for Weight Loss. weight zoloft gain and loss Effective treatment for erectile dysfunction ...
Gestational weight gain as a predictor of birth and placenta weight according to pre-pregnancy body mass index
The potential benefit of a high gestational weight gain in obese patients should be balanced by the higher risk of giving birth to babies with a birth weight of more than 4,500 grams and the risk of exaggerating a pre-existing state of obesity.
gain weight - the essentials of lives
how to gain weight naturally, how to gain weight and muscle, how to gain weight fast for boys, how to gain weight in 3 days, how to gain weight fast for skinny people, how to gain weight in 1 month, weight gain shakes, how to gain weight for females in 10 days ...
weight gain prevention methods
Dr. Ann J. Peters notes that you dont have to go to extreme measures to stop an increase in unwanted body weight. You can avoid extra unexplained weight gain by developing some simple changes to your way of lifestyle. A few things that you can start immediately to reduce weight and ward off weight gain is to start by recognizing what your trigger foods are and what food you eat that might have no health consequences for you. If your diet consists of regular trips to fast food restaurants, meals that contain little to no vegetables or fruits, or constant consumption of sugary drinks, you may consider preparing more homemade meals. Drinking water is also a good way to enhance a full feeling. MD longevity knows that drinking a full glass of water before each meal can help you feel slightly fuller than if you are eating on an empty stomach. You can also quench your craving for food with drinking water, to redirect your mind onto other projects. Leave small portions of your meal on your plate. This ...
How can I control pregnancy weight gain? | The New Times | Rwanda
Accept my compliments on your first pregnancy. How much weight have you gained? Normally a woman gains a minimum of eight to 10 or more kilos during pregnancy, and this usually occurs part in second and more in the final trimester. Whether weight is normal or not, depends on BMI (body mass index), which is determined by height and weight both. The babys body is formed both externally and internally during the first trimester, after which the baby starts to grow progressively till delivery. This contributes to weight gain. Other pregnancy-related factors contributing to weight gain are fluid retention due to increased circulation, increase in amniotic fluid which surrounds the baby in gestational sac and weight of placenta ...
Comparison of national gestational weight gain guidelines and energy intake recommendations. - PubMed - NCBI
PubMed comprises more than 30 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full-text content from PubMed Central and publisher web sites.
JMIR - Does Usage of an eHealth Intervention Reduce the Risk of Excessive Gestational Weight Gain? Secondary Analysis From a...
Journal of Medical Internet Research - International Scientific Journal for Medical Research, Information and Communication on the Internet
Recruitment of young adults into a randomized controlled trial of weight gain prevention: message development, methods, and...
Background Young adulthood (age 18 to 35) is a high-risk period for unhealthy weight gain. Few studies have recruited for prevention of weight gain, particularly in young adults. This paper describes...
Pragmatic cluster randomised trial of a free telephone-based health coaching program to support women in managing weight gain...
Excessive gestational weight gain (EGWG) is associated with poor maternal and infant health outcomes, including an increased risk for gestational hypertension, gestational diabetes, caesarean section, low apgar scores and infants who are born large for gestational age [1-4]. There is also an increased likelihood of postpartum obesity in both mothers  and their children , which in turn leads to an increased risk of chronic disease later in life . Risk factors for EGWG include a high pre-pregnancy BMI, with some studies showing that women who are overweight or obese prior to pregnancy are 2-6 times more likely than women with a normal BMI to be at risk of EGWG [7, 8]. EGWG in women of all pre-pregnancy BMIs can lead to a progressive weight gain which is retained over a womans reproductive years .. The Institute of Medicine (IOM) gestational weight guidelines  were updated in 2009 and are the most frequently utilised internationally. The guidelines provide ranges of recommended ...
Provision of Amniotic Fluid During Parenteral Nutrition Increases Weight Gain With Limited Effects on Gut Structure, Function,...
Background: Small enteral boluses with human milk may reduce the risk of subsequent feeding intolerance and necrotizing enterocolitis in preterm infants receiving parenteral nutrition (PN). We hypothesized that feeding amniotic fluid, the natural enteral diet of the mammalian fetus, will have similar effects and improve growth and gastrointestinal (GI) maturation in preterm neonates receiving PN, prior to the transition to milk feeding. Materials and Methods: Twenty-seven pigs, delivered by cesarean section at ~90% of gestation, were provided with PN and also fed boluses with amniotic fluid (AF; n = 13, 24-72 mL/kg/d) or no oral supplements (nil per os [NPO]; n = 14) until day 5 when blood, tissue, and fecal samples were collected for analyses. Results: Body weight gain was 2.7-fold higher in AF vs NPO pigs. AF pigs showed slower gastric emptying, reduced meal-induced release of gastric inhibitory peptide and glucagon-like peptide 2, changed gut microbiota, and reduced intestinal permeability. ...
Gestational weight gain across continents and ethnicity: systematic review and meta-analysis of maternal and infant outcomes in...
The association between Institute of Medicine (IOM) guidelines and pregnancy outcomes across ethnicities is uncertain. We evaluated the associations of gestational weight gain (GWG) outside 2009 IOM guidelines, with maternal and infant outcomes across the USA, western Europe and east Asia, with subgroup analyses in Asia. The aim was to explore ethnic differences in maternal prepregnancy body mass index (BMI), GWG and health outcomes across these regions. Systematic review, meta-analysis and meta-regression of observational studies were used for the study. MEDLINE, MEDLINE In-Process, Embase and all Evidence-Based Medicine (EBM) Reviews were searched from 1999 to 2017. Studies were stratified by prepregnancy BMI category and total pregnancy GWG. Odds ratio (ORs) 95% confidence intervals (CI) applied recommended GWG within each BMI category as the reference. Primary outcomes were small for gestational age (SGA), preterm birth and large for gestational age (LGA). Secondary outcomes were macrosomia,
Childrens Medical Condition | Poor Infant Weight Gain | Vidant Health
Vidant Health - Weight gain for a child is one of many signs of good health in a breastfeeding baby and weight gain may be affected by a unique growth pattern.
Soy Prevents Weight Gain After Menopause! | HubPages
An unfortunate side effect of menopause may be unwanted weight gain. No one needs extra pounds that are unhealthy and unsightly. Now there may be a natural way to control this unwanted weight gain! One of the reasons for this weight gain may be the...
BioNews - Gut bacteria contributing to weight gain may be inherited
Our genetic make-up influences the type of bacteria that live in our gut, which in turn may influence how likely we are to be overweight, a twin study has found. Researchers from Cornell University in the USA examined bacteria in over 1,000 faecal samples taken from 416 sets of twins. They found that levels of some bacteria were more similar in identical twins (who share all their genes) than in non-identical twins. Our primary goal was to establish, once and for all, whether there was an effect of host genotype on the composition of the gut microbiome, said Dr Ruth Ley, associate professor at Cornell and senior study author. Twins raised in the same households have very similar environments, so differences in bacteria seen in the study are likely to be explained by genetic factors. Study participants were from the TwinsUK registry and had their genomes sequenced at Kings College London.. Bacteria from the family Christensenellaceae were the most strongly heritable and higher levels of these ...
Effect of composite cassava meal with or without palm oil and/or methionine supplementation on broiler performance
There were significant (P,0.05) differences among treatment means of all the parameters and they all followed a similar pattern. Birds fed D4 and D5 diets had significantly higher (P,0.05) body weight (698g and 710g) and body weight gain (22.25g and 22.57g) than birds fed D2 (body weight 521g, daily weight gain 15.74g) but were similar to those fed D1 control (body weight 698g, daily weight gain 20.36g) and D3 (body weight 640g, daily weight gain 18.40g).. The feed conversion ratios and protein efficiency ratios of D5 (3.11 and 1.51), D4 (3.06 and 1.49) and D1 (3.00 and 1.53) were significantly higher (P,0.05) than those of D2 (4.19 and 1.09) but similar to those of D3 (3.48 and 1.32). This may be as a result of the high energy and high digestibility of palm oil, its role as a binder of mash grains to reduce ulcerogenic effect of the birds gastric mucosa, increase in feed intake as compared to non-supplemented CCM diets.. The depression of the final live weight of birds fed D2 (60% CCM) ...
Weight control belief and its impact on the effectiveness of tobacco control policies on quit attempts: findings from the ITC 4...
Weight-related concerns such as weight gain after quitting have been shown to discourage quitting and quit attempts among smokers.1-5 Nevertheless, the health benefits of quitting remain substantial even after taking account of the adverse health impact of the postcessation weight gain.6 In addition, for those smokers who use smoking as a weight control method, it may not be an efficient tool to control weight.7 Existing studies indicate that heavy smokers, compared with light smokers, tend to be heavier, and ever-smokers, compared with never-smokers, do not experience less weight gain over time.8 Moreover, smoking is found to be associated with less physical activity and unhealthy diets that may in fact contribute to a weight gain.9-11 Despite lack of scientific evidence that smoking is an effective weight control method, it is often regarded as a means of losing weight. Using US data, Cawley et al12 ,13 found that weight gain is significantly associated with smoking initiation among girls, and ...
Your Pregnant..and BIG: Where Does All The Weight Come From?
Women who begin pregnancy at a normal weight and who are expecting one baby usually are advised to gain 25 to 35 pounds over nine months. Women of normal weight who are expecting twins are usually advised to gain 35 to 45 pounds. Women pregnant with triplets should probably aim for a gain of 50 to 60 pounds.. Studies show that gaining enough weight in the first 20 to 24 weeks of pregnancy is especially important for women carrying multiples. In a twin pregnancy, a gain of at least 24 pounds by the 24th week of pregnancy helps reduce the risk of having preterm and low-birthweight babies. A good early weight gain may be especially important in multiple gestations because these pregnancies tend to be shorter than singleton pregnancies. Studies also suggest that a good early weight gain aids in development of the placenta, possibly improving its ability to pass along nutrients to the babies. ...
Weight gain. In rats, prolonged, complete sleep deprivation increased both food intake and energy expenditure with a net ... Sleep loss is currently[timeframe?] proposed to disturb endocrine regulation of energy homeostasis leading to weight gain and ... which in the long run may result in weight gain and obesity. ... In a balanced order, nine healthy normal-weight men spent three ... In addition to insomnia, patients may experience panic attacks, paranoia, phobias, hallucinations, rapid weight loss, and ...
Outline of diabetes
Unexplained weight loss. *Weight gain. *Flu-like symptoms, including weakness and fatigue ... Regular physical exercise - in addition to helping to maintain a healthy weight, sufficient vigorous physical exercise ...
Unexplained weight loss. *Weight gain. *Flu-like symptoms, including weakness and fatigue ... The ADA guidelines recommend modest weight loss (5-10% body weight), moderate-intensity exercise (30 minutes daily), and ... Reducing weight by 7% through a low-fat diet and performing 150 minutes of exercise a week is the goal. In observational ... The Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) study found a 16% reduction in diabetes risk for every kilogram of weight loss. ...
Child development stages
Average weight. Weight gain. Respiration rate. (per minute). Normal body temperature. Heart rate (pulse). (per minute). Visual ... Nearly triple the birth weight by first birthday. 500 g per month. 20 to 45. Body temperature. Heart rate. 20/100. ... Doubling birth weight. 500 g per month. 25 to 50. Body temperature. Heart rate. ... Gains greater control over large and fine motor skills; movements are more precise and deliberate, though some clumsiness ...
Paul Martin (illustrator)
Backs up the year.) Weight Gain. A boy standing on a weighing scale. He says to his real-life aunt, "You can't call me Skinny ... Martin gained a national reputation when he designed the automobile tire advertisement, 'Time to Re-tire' ... He has won ... "Hunter Gains Place" (subheading). New York Tribune, July 7, 1919 p. 12; July 6, 1920 p. 12. "Tilden Winner" (last paragraph). ... After the Phlladelphians had gained a commanding lead [in that one], the New York pair allowed the set to go without making ...
... weight gain; stomach pain; cold sweat; skin rash; blisters; headache; swelling; bleeding; bruising; vomiting blood; jaundice; ...
Weight gain. Darkening of skin. Headaches. Treatment: Oral contraceptives to promote regular periods Healthier lifestyle. Other ...
Weight gain. Chills, fever, fatigue, flu-like illness. GnRH antagonists (receptor blockers) such as degarelix are synthetic ... As with all hormonal therapies, degarelix is commonly associated with hormonal side effects such as hot flashes and weight gain ...
Weight gain. *Headache, migraine. *Nausea. *Acne. *Excessive hairiness ...
Weight gain (~3%). *Agitation. *Anxiety/irritability. Uncommon (0.1-1% frequency). *Bitter taste ...
... weight gain, inability to tolerate the cold, slow heart rate, dry skin and constipation. Common hyperthyroid symptoms ... include irritability, weight loss, fast heartbeat, heat intolerance, diarrhea, and enlargement of the thyroid. In both ...
Etonogestrel birth control implant
Possible weight gain: Some women may experience slight weight gain when using the implant. However, current studies are not ... The average increase in body weight in studies was less than 5 pounds (2,25 kg) over 2 years. ... conclusive because they do not compare the weight of women using Implanon/Nexplanon with a control group of women not using the ...
Etonogestrel birth control implant
Possible weight gain: Some women may experience slight weight gain when using the implant. However, current studies are not ... The average increase in body weight in studies was less than 5 pounds (2,25 kg) over 2 years. ... conclusive because they do not compare the weight of women using implants with a control group of women not using the implant. ...
Obstructive sleep apnea
The effect on sleepiness and weight gain are particularly of concern. Because of uncertainty about its effects and a lack of ... weight gain, obesity, and even death. OSA is associated with cognitive impairment, including deficits in inductive and ... unexplained weight gain; increased urinary frequency and/or nocturia; frequent heartburn or gastroesophageal reflux; and heavy ... excessive daytime sleepiness resulting from sleep fragmentation can decrease physical activity and thus lead to weight gain (by ...
Chef (South Park)
CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) Trey Parker and Matt Stone (1997-08-27). "Weight Gain 4000". South Park. Season 1. ... Trey Parker, Matt Stone (2003). South Park: The Complete First Season: "Weight Gain 4000" (Audio commentary). Comedy Central. ...
How to Gain Weight. 1936.. *. How to Reduce Weight. 1936.. *. Be Married and Like It. 1937.. ... These institutions offered educational programs such as "The Physical Culture Training School". Although he gained his ... "Strong Circulation: How a weight-lifting and diet fanatic built a publishing empire a century ago". The Wall Street Journal ... reputation for physical culture and fitness, he gained much notoriety for his views on sexual behavior. He viewed intercourse ...
Weight gain. The amount of healthy weight gain during a pregnancy varies. Weight gain is related to the weight of the baby ... Final weight gain takes place, which is the most weight gain throughout the pregnancy. The woman's abdomen will transform in ... The Institute of Medicine recommends an overall pregnancy weight gain for those of normal weight (body mass index of 18.5-24.9 ... Excessive weight gain can make losing weight after the pregnancy difficult. ...
weight gain or loss. *any drug treatment that affects insulin sensitivity (e.g. corticosteroids) ... Once the basal rate is matched to the fasting basal insulin need, the pump user will then gain the flexibility to skip or ...
Maternal weight. During pregnancy, women of an average pre-pregnancy weight (BMI 18.5-24.9) should expect to gain between ... "Weight Gain During Pregnancy , Pregnancy , Maternal and Infant Health , CDC". www.cdc.gov. 2019-01-17. Retrieved 2019-03-28.. ... In addition, due to the pain, it might result in poor weight gain or growth. Also, children may exhibit reduced self-esteem ... whereas mothers who gain weight actually increase their risk. Women who are pregnant should aim to exercise for at least ...
Janda and colleagues then showed that an active vaccine against the orexigenic hormone ghrelin can slow the rate of weight gain ... "Vaccination against weight gain". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 103 (35): 13226-13231. Bibcode:2006PNAS.. ...
Usually appetite enhancement is considered an undesirable side effect of certain drugs as it leads to unwanted weight gain, but ... Ness-Abramof R, Apovian CM (Aug 2005). "Drug-induced weight gain". Drugs Today (Barcelona). 41 (8): 547-55. doi:10.1358/dot. ... Maayan L, Correll CU (July 2010). "Management of antipsychotic-related weight gain". Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics. 10 (7 ... Full Prescribing Information, Section 5.7 (Weight Gain). Pfizer, Inc. Revised June, 2013.  "Fructose Metabolism: Relation to ...
May cause weight gain. Epidemiological evidence on POPs and breast cancer risk is based on much smaller populations of users ... There is some evidence that progestin-only contraceptives may lead to slight weight gain (on average less than 2 kg in the ... effects on weight". The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (8): CD008815. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD008815.pub4. PMC 5034734 ...
Other: Jaundice (simulating obstructive); altered liver function; parotid swelling; alopecia; flushing; weight gain or loss; ... N-methylpropan-1-amine and its free base form has a chemical formula of C19H21N1 with a molecular weight of 263.377 g/mol. The ...
Compulsive eating/drinking/weight gain. *Desire for home and old friends. *Excessive concern over cleanliness ...
Evidence of benefit is lacking for long-term weight loss with some data supporting weight gain and heart disease risks. ... additional high-calorie foods leading to weight gain. Environmental effects. According to one study, sucralose is ... "Gain weight by "going diet?" Artificial sweeteners and the neurobiology of sugar cravings: Neuroscience 2010". The Yale Journal ... maltodextrin by weight) between 100 and 1000 mg/kg BW/day, containing sucralose at 1.1 to 11 mg/kg BW/day, fed to rats reduced ...
Australia's Next Top Model (season 5)
Clune, Richard (26 April 2009). "Gain weight, teen model ordered". The Daily Telegraph. Archived from the original on 29 April ... After her swimsuit photo shoot showed off her technically unhealthy body, she was forced to put on weight. Lola Van Vorst was ... The public vote held a greater weight in terms of percentage, which got Tahnee over the line. "Sunbury ghetto - Australia's ... In the second episode, a nutritionist assisted the contestants with healthy eating, weight management and lifestyle choices. ...
Based on the impact of free sugars intake and its effects on weight gain and dental issues the WHO has taken action on such ... This risk seemed to further be linked to an increase in BMI (Body Mass Index) that is associated with obesity and weight gain ... Reducing consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages can also reduce the risk of unhealthy weight gain in adults. For a normal ... Malik, Vasanti S; Schulze, Matthias B; Hu, Frank B (2016-12-17). "Intake of sugar-sweetened beverages and weight gain: a ...
... the H1 receptor is linked to weight gain. To have partial agonism at the 5-HT1A receptor can yield absence of weight gain in an ... Significant weight gain may occur. Critics have argued that "the time has come to abandon the terms first-generation and second ... The general consensus is that clozapine and olanzapine are associated with the greatest effects on weight gain and decreased ... Increased blood sugar levels by increased norepinephrine causes hunger in many humans, which is why weight gain occurs with ...
Australia gained a reputation as "the working man's paradise." Some employers tried to undercut the unions by importing Chinese ... due to the relative weight that these countries had in the EU until the EU expansion by the inclusion of 10 new Eastern ... unions gained more power after the 1948 Costa Rican Civil War. Today, Costa Rican unions are strongest in the public sector ...
The trophic pyramid roughly represents the biomass (usually measured as total dry-weight) at each level. Plants generally have ... ecologists have found mathematical models on networks an invaluable tool for gaining insight into the structure, stability, and ... which can be measured as the dry weight of an organism. Autotrophs may have the highest global proportion of biomass, but ... the dry weight of plants and animals), productivity (rates of conversion of energy and nutrients into growth), and stability ( ...
This gave hemoglobin a resulting weight of approximately 16,000 dalton (Da) but it was uncertain whether this value was a ... Isotonic (of equal water potential) - this prevents water gain or loss by the organelles ... it had exactly the same molecular weight. How something of such a large molecular mass could be consistently found, ... hemoglobin has a molecular weight of 68,000 Da, suggesting that there are four iron atoms present rather than one, and that no ...
The variety is of medium size with an adult weight of 3-4 kg (6.6-8.8 lb). The body of the doe is relatively elongated with a ... As show breeds gained popularity, the farm rabbits became rarer until all but extinct. A few remaining populations were ... There is no weight difference between the genders. The ears are of medium length and relatively thin, pointed rather than ...
... that some materials gain weight on strong heating. Antoine Lavoisier (1743-1794) and others later interpreted this gain in ... Mayow perceived the part "spiritus nitro-aereus" plays in combustion and in increasing the weight of the calces (oxides) of ... undergoes an increase of weight which can be attributed to nothing else but these particles. Mayow argued that the same ...
Virions bud off from the cell, gaining their envelopes from the cellular membrane from which they bud. The mature progeny ... and difficulty returning to pre-illness weight. Problems with vision may develop. It is recommended that survivors ... advises people to be careful of advertisements making unverified or fraudulent claims of benefits supposedly gained from ...
weight gain. *high blood pressure. *poor short-term memory. *irritability. *excess hair growth (women) ... The late-night or midnight salivary cortisol test has been gaining support due to its ease of collection and stability at room ...
The weights and measures of the Indus Valley Civilisation, on the other hand, were highly standardized, and conform to a set ... As a result the Ganges Valley settlement gained prominence and Ganges cities developed. ...
Continuous studies have shown that increased BMI and weight gain are associated with people who spend long hours online and not ... Science is systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation. ...
Medical nutrition therapy is done by dietitians and is prescribed for diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, weight and eating ... on the one hand and such issues as patient confidentiality and the possible exploitation of information for commercial gain on ... Vital signs including height, weight, body temperature, blood pressure, pulse, respiration rate, and hemoglobin oxygen ... have you noticed any weight loss, change in sleep quality, fevers, lumps and bumps? etc.), followed by questions on the body's ...
The cost of treatment depends on the amount of growth hormone given, which in turn depends on the child's weight and age. One ...
A bite indicator such as a float, and a weight or sinker are sometimes used. ... Professional anglers are not engaged in commercial fishing, even though they gain an economic reward. Similar competitive ... considered within the broad category of angling is where contestants compete for prizes based on the total length or weight of ...
Some researchers suggest that by 2050 there could be more plastic than fish in the oceans by weight, with about 8,800,000 ... Gaining popularity on his uncommon hypothesis, palaeoclimatologist William Ruddiman in 2003, stipulated that in the early ... the term has gained broader usage in conservation biology as a global phenomenon. ... Though no single cause has gained widespread acceptance by the scientific community, proposals include infections with Varroa ...
... of the total seed weight, which is lower than most legumes. Lentil flour can be produced by milling the seeds, like cereals ... breeding programme in 1977 significant gains have been made. It supplies landraces and breeding lines for countries around the ... the same weight of cooked lentils provides 116 calories. Raw lentils are 8% water, 63% carbohydrates including 11% dietary ...
軟性飲料 - 維基百科，自由的百科全書
Schulze MB, Manson JE, Ludwig DS, Colditz GA, Stampfer MJ, Willett WC, Hu FB Sugar-sweetened beverages, weight gain, and ... org/cgi/content/abstract/117/3/673 Effects of Decreasing Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Consumption on Body Weight in Adolescents: A ...
Standard atomic weight (u)[note 7]. 6.94(1)[note 8]. 22.98976928(2). 39.0983(1). 85.4678(3). 132.9054519(2). [note ... Hence it can lose an electron to form the hydron H+, or gain one to form the hydride ion H−.:43 In the former case it ... Thus, the trend for the densities of the alkali metals depends on their atomic weights and atomic radii; if figures for these ... Due to having the lowest atomic weight and the largest atomic radius of all the elements in their periods, the alkali metals ...
Weight of the soul. In 1901 Duncan MacDougall conducted an experiment in which he made weight measurements of patients as ... Musolino, Julien (2015). The Soul Fallacy: What Science Shows We Gain from Letting Go of Our Soul Beliefs. Amherst, New York: ... He claimed that there was weight loss of varying amounts at the time of death; he concluded the soul weighed 21 grams, based on ... "How much does the soul weights?". Archived from the original on 28 April 2016.. ...
... and AR NTD antagonists are immune to gain-of-function mutations in the AR LBD that convert AR antagonists into AR agonists and ... steroidal AR antagonists are able to increase prostate weight and accelerate prostate cancer cell growth in the absence of more ...
West Texas Intermediate
Its weighting in these commodity indices give LME Nickel prices non-trivial influence on returns on a wide range of investment ... Any remaining traders who were willing to buy contracts gained enormous market power and pushed prices downwards into negative ... "Bloomberg Commodity Index 2020 Target Weights Announced". Bloomberg Professional Services. Bloomberg. Retrieved 2020-05-06.. ...
Neo-Piagetian theories of cognitive development
Individual differences in intellectual growth are related to both the ability to gain insight about mental processes and ... weight, volume, etc., and, in adolescence, hypothesis testing, controlled experimentation, and abstract concepts, such as ...
Physical health in schizophrenia
These antipsychotic medications have adverse effects such as weight gain and induce feelings of fatigue that inhibit physical ... One review showed that people with schizophrenia benefited from a variety of behavioural interventions and achieved weight loss ... 2005). "The role of lifestyle interventions and weight management in schizophrenia". J Psychopharmacol. 19 (6 Suppl): 28-35. ...
Hayden started sixth on the grid, but gained three places at turn one and was chasing down Kenny Roberts Jr. and pole-sitter ... This incident lent weight to the rumours that Hayden and Honda would part ways for the next season. The rumour was ... When de Angelis tried to gain positions during the short right-left turns one and two, he hit Edwards who then clipped the back ...
... to reduce body weight. Some people follow a diet to gain weight (usually in the form of muscle). Diets can also be used to ... Weight loss groups. Some weight loss groups aim to make money, others work as charities. The former include Weight ... Possible weight loss effects of drinking water prior to meals. Main article: Weight loss effects of water ... The first weight-loss book to promote calorie counting, and the first weight-loss book to become a bestseller, was the 1918 ...
Weight. For a given R-value, loose cellulose weighs roughly three times as much per square foot as loose fiberglass. ... Insulation gained significant national attention as a cheap and available technology to increase the energy efficiency of homes ... Weights of Building Materials Archived May 16, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. Boise Cascade Engineered Wood Products Tech Note ... This can prove advantageous at reducing the overall weight of the product on the ceiling drywall helping prevent possible sag. ...
The goal of T2K is to gain deeper understanding of parameters of neutrino oscillation. T2K has made a search for oscillations ... is introduced to remove particles whose minimum size corresponds to molecular weight approximately 10,000 (or about 10 nm ... Each QTC input has three gain ranges - "Small", "Medium" and "Large" - the resolutions for each are shown in Table. ...
I then queried them on this matter: 'What benefits are there to be gained from eating these leaves?' To which they replied, ' ... In South America, there is no legislation regarding khat; the active ingredients in the plant can be found in several weight ...
Poor weight gain (infants and children). *Skin and hair changes. *Cracking at corners of the mouth ... with daily intakes of 1500 IU/kg body weight reportedly leading to toxicity. ...
Hypercholesterolemia - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
However, less bad deficiency of niacin can cause high blood pressure, weight gain, and hypercholesterolemia. So sometimes ...
... as well as not causing weight gain. Unlike the irreversible MAOIs there is no evidence of liver toxicity with moclobemide.[ ... with 50 mg/kg and 250 mg/kg only a slight loss of weight, and with 250 mg/kg mildly elevated Alkaline phosphatase and Gamma-GT ... such as the costs of conducting the necessary trials to gain approval, moclobemide is unavailable in the USA pharmaceutical ...
The combination of music and MMS helps premature infants sleep and conserve vital energy required to gain weight more rapidly. ... thus promoting growth and weight gain. When this treatment proves effective, infants are able to leave the hospital earlier. ... and weight loss). The bereaved individual typically regards the depressed mood as "normal," although the person may seek ...
Weight gain holidays - Travel
Gestational weight gain - Wikipedia
Healthy Weight Gain
Here are some tips on gaining muscle or bone mass without adding extra fat. ... Gaining or regaining weight can be just as difficult as losing weight. ... You are older and have unintentionally lost weight.. For those who need to, gaining weight can lead to overall better health ... People who are trying to regain weight after illness or surgery usually can gain weight more easily than someone who is ...
... Several mechanisms have been suggested, of which impairment of fatty acid breakdown by the body and a resulting ... Excessive weight gain has been listed as a side effect of sodium valproate (Epilim Chrono) therapy and a considerable amount of ... Therefore, an increase in insulin levels together with a decrease in glucose levels may cause weight gain, possibly by ... One of the problems though is that the introduction of this extra medication has caused excessive weight gain. ...
weight gain | Health24
Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest ... weight gain hello doc. i desperately need ur help, i have a 12month old baby and im a size 28, i desperately need to gain ... For basic information click on Diet at the top of this page and then on Diet Basics and Weight gaining and read the ... Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to ...
Weight Gain Woes?
... weight - Answer: Hi Yaz and Weight Gain in Clinical Studies In some studies, weight gain ... ... Weight loss Prozac 10mg & weight gain but happy on 20mg, want to feel happier but not gain weight?. Posted 3 Sep 2013 • 1 ... Home › Q & A › Questions › Weight Gain Woes?. Weight Gain Woes?. Asked. 2 Jul 2010 by jkq. Active. 19 Jan 2012. Topics. obesity ... Does Latuda cause weight gain in a lot of people or is it extremely rare to gain weight?. Posted 16 May 2014 • 14 answers ...
weight gain | Health24
weight gain How do I gain weight? I dont want to take protein supplements and I already eat good meals, but I cant seem to ... If you are not doing some training then you wont gain any worthwhile weight - you can eat double what you are, and the only ... Perform 10-15 reps but at a much lower intensity - use a weight that would allow you to lift the weight at least 25 times.. • ... and so weight gain should not really be a problem if the training is being done.. Now, with regards to training, you need to be ...
How diet soda causes weight gain - YouTube
How Diet Sodas Cause Weight Gain...Say It Aint So! - Duration: 4:44. JJ Smith 13,263 views ... How Diet Soda Could Make Us Gain Weight - Duration: 2:12. NutritionFacts.org 22,282 views ... How Diet Soda Causes Weight Gain - Duration: 5:01. LeanSecrets 22,343 views ... Top Ten Obesity Causing Foods -- Psychetruth Nutrition & Weight Loss - Duration: 16:11. PsycheTruth 550,847 views ...
How snoring can cause weight gain
... and both lead to weight gain. It may also explain why some people have difficulty losing weight despite attempts to modify ... We commonly notice weight gain in our abdomen or buttocks, but fat tissue can also deposit in our neck, tongue and airway. It ... Bed partners of snorers may be at risk of weight gain, too. If you are not sleeping because of your partners snoring, the ... Snoring and weight gain should not be ignored as the combination may cause life-threatening health conditions. Fortunately, ...
Tara Costa Sued for Weight Gain
The Biggest Loser alum Tara Costa is sued for gaining too much weight while under contract with fitness company, FC Online ... Tara Costa Sued for Weight Gain. The Biggest Loser alum Tara Costa is sued for gaining too much weight while under contract ... I ... the biggest loser at lunch or close to exceed three gaining too much weight ... under contract with fitness company at ...
How does fiber prevent weight gain?
Popular in: Obesity / Weight Loss / Fitness. * How much should I weigh for my height and age? ... Gut flora dictates how much weight we can lose. A new study reveals that the proportion of certain bacteria in the gut might be ... Why bones might hold the secret to weight loss In a groundbreaking study, scientists uncover evidence of our bodys internal ... As Western society struggles under the weight of an obesity epidemic, any study that gives new insight into obesity and ...
How 'obesity gene' triggers weight gain
... hunger and weight gain. The brain imaging adds a fascinating insight into the role of the nervous system in obesity, which is ... They matched the volunteers perfectly for body weight, fat distribution and social factors such as educational level to ensure ... How obesity gene triggers weight gain How obesity gene triggers weight gain. 15 July 2013 ...
Weight Gain, Hypertension Seen With Ruxolitinib
... it is not clear whether weight gain associated with ruxolitinib is beneficial (eg, whether patients who experience weight gain ... The weight gain was not due to steroids. "Patients treated with ruxolitinib were not on glucocorticoid therapy, which is well ... Speculating as to why weight gain occurred with this drug, Gallagher explained that ruxolitinib is a JAK inhibitor, and the ... "At present, we advise counseling patients on the potential for weight gain and increased blood pressure with this therapy. In ...
Her Body: Battling Midlife Weight Gain
... weight (when only your fat jeans fit) has become your average ... since about equal numbers of women gain weight as lose weight ... Her Body: Battling Midlife Weight Gain. By Pat Wingert On 12/10/06 at 7:00 PM EST ... "If you want to maintain your weight, or lose weight, you will also have to go on a more restrictive diet, and you have to make ... weight (when only your "fat" jeans fit) has become your average weight. You also seem to be carrying a lot more around your ...
Artificial sweeteners linked to weight gain
... with various studies finding evidence of weight loss, weight gain or little effect. Because people may have different ... Artificial sweeteners linked to weight gain Cutting the connection between sweets and calories may confuse the body, making it ... "The data clearly indicate that consuming a food sweetened with no-calorie saccharin can lead to greater body-weight gain and ... gained more weight, put on more body fat, and didnt make up for it by cutting back later, all at levels of statistical ...
Pregnancy Weight Gain, Big Babies Linked
Gaining 40 pounds or more during pregnancy nearly doubles the risk of having a baby who weighs 9 pounds or more, in turn ... advise weight gain amounts based on pre-pregnancy weights:. *For women with a low body mass index or BMI, below 19.8, a gain of ... Pregnancy Weight Gain, Big Babies Linked. Gaining 40 Pounds or More Doubles Risk of Having a Big Baby, Which Increases Health ... They used patient medical records and birth certificates to note the mothers weight gain and the babys birth weight. ...
Weight gain - unintentional: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
Unintentional weight gain is when you gain weight without trying to do so and you are not eating or drinking more. ... Unintentional weight gain is when you gain weight without trying to do so and you are not eating or drinking more. ... Weight gain caused by stress or feeling sad may require counseling. If weight gain is caused by a physical illness, treatment ( ... How much weight have you gained? Did you gain the weight quickly or slowly? ...
Medicines and weight gain
... any weight gain can gradually disappear, although it is important that diet and exercise... ... Medicines and weight gain. It is also true that once Epilim is reduced or stopped, any weight gain can gradually disappear, ... It is also true that once Epilim is reduced or stopped, any weight gain can gradually disappear, although it is important that ... I feel sorry for her as I feel she is upset by the weight gain maybe making her eat more. ...
pramipexole dihydrochloride / weight gain
... Hello,. I have been on pramipexole dihydrochloride now for a number of months. I am ... I am on a low dose (0.5 mg). Since I have been on this medication I have also been struggling with weight gain. I am on a very ... I was wondering if there is any connection between the medication and the weight gain or if it is just a coincidence. Thank you ... I was wondering if there is any connection between the medication and the weight gain or if it is just a coincidence. Thank you ...
Weight Gain!!! - Pregnancy - MedHelp
I was actually at a normal, healthy weight. Will working out help me NOT gain weight so rapidly? Any stories that you might ... You are almost 6 months along and you can gain up to 35 pounds and still be in the heathy recommended weight gain... you ... I still cannot believe Ive gained THAT much weight. Nobody believes Ive gained THAT much since I dont look 20 lbs heavier. ... That seems to help me calm down a little about the weight gain and put me back into prospective that its whats best for the ...
Gestational Weight Gain - United States, 2012 and 2013
The amount of weight a woman gains during pregnancy, known as gestational weight gain (GWG), has important maternal and infant ... The weight a woman gains during pregnancy, known as gestational weight gain (GWG), has important health implications for both ... Phelan S, Jankovitz K, Hagobian T, Abrams B. Reducing excessive gestational weight gain: lessons from the weight control ... weight [kg]/height [m]2) (1). In a recent study, 21% of pregnant women gained less than the recommended amount of weight, and ...
Food stamp users risk weight gain: study | Reuters
"Every way we looked at the data, it was clear that the use of food stamps was associated with weight gain," he added. ... "We cant prove that the Food Stamp Program causes weight gain, but this study suggests a strong linkage," Jay Zagorsky, a ... "While this association does not prove that the Food Stamp Program causes weight gain, it does suggest that program changes to ... "While food stamps may help fight hunger, they may have the unintended consequence of encouraging weight gain among women," ...
ADHD medications tied to teenage weight gain - Reuters
... could be linked to weight gain during the teenage years, according to a new analysis of medical records. ... In his study, kids who had taken stimulant medications at a younger age tended to have a "rebound" in weight gain as teens, ... Whats more, kids treated with stimulants appeared to gain more weight in their teen years and ended up with a BMI higher than ... "Our findings suggest parents may want to be aware that a possible side effect of such treatment is rapid weight gain after the ...
Today I have officially made it to the 10 pound mark of my new weight gain. Its very hard for... ... I try not to think much about it because either way I iwill eventually get the weight off. I gained quite a bit of weight once ... Many of our medications will cause weight gain. about 2 yrs ago I balloned up to an all time high for me and the extra weight ... Over time I eventually lost the bulk of that weight. My gi dr tells me peole with pain pumps do gain weight from the drugs used ...
Car commuters gain more weight | Fox News
Participants who didnt get enough weekly exercise also gained weight, but how much they gained wasnt tied to their mode of ... if you use a car for commuting daily then that has an impact on weight gain, lead author Takemi Sugiyama of the Baker IDI ... only those who got enough weekly exercise and never drove to work managed to stave off any weight gain over the course of the ... which could influence weight gain, Frank told Reuters Health. ... Car commuters gain more weight. Published January 28, 2013. ...
What Prescription Drugs Make You Gain Weight?
Some medicines make you more likely to gain weight. Find out which ones they are and what you can do to avoid those extra ... Another might not gain anything," Aronne says.. If you suspect the medicines that you take are behind your weight gain, dont ... Some may cause as much as an 11-pound weight gain in 10 weeks. People taking them for a long time may gain more. ... Its normal to gain weight when you first start taking them, while your body adjusts to the medicine. But "some of the older ...
weight fluctuation or weight gain? | Yahoo Answers
im confused???? why am i gaining weight??? is this just weight fluctuation? i feel like my weight has done this before and i ... and used to weight like 87.5 in the morning. i legit havent changed a thing and now my dumbass weights like 89-90 in the ... go through periods where my weight goes up and then it goes back down. idk is this weight fluctuation normal? should i worry? ... weight fluctuation or weight gain?. alright so im almost 19, 5ft tall, and used to weight like 87.5 in the morning. i legit ...
Obesity: 'Switch' in brain controls weight gain
A new study suggests that excess weight gain may be due to a faulty switch in the brain, which promotes the retention of fat ... has recently conducted a study striving to gain a better understanding of the brain mechanisms that contribute to weight gain ... A study recently covered by Medical News Today referred to exacerbated weight gain as a "pandemic" affecting the U.S. and wider ... Obesity: Switch in brain controls weight gain. Written by Maria Cohut, Ph.D. on August 2, 2017 ...
How to Quit Smoking Without Weight Gain
Explore what causes weight gain after quitting smoking and get the tools to quit smoking for good. ... Learn how to avoid weight gain while quitting smoking. ... Will Weight Gain Hurt My Health?. Most of us dont like to gain ... Will I Gain Weight if I Stop Smoking?. Its not guaranteed you will gain weight when you quit smoking. For those who do gain ... What Causes Weight Gain After Quitting Smoking?. There are several reasons you may gain weight when you stop smoking, including ...
PoundsObesityCounting caloriesMetabolismLossHealthyGestationalLoseUnderweightOverweightIncreasesExcess weight gainPregnancy Weight GainResearchers foundWomenMedicationSignificantlyBody weightMenopauseAmountsDietBirth contrHealthThyroidDepressionExerciseAppetiteBabiesDietsStudyMedicationsPregnantInsulinPoundHyperthyroidismLeadCauses weight gainParticipantsAntipsychotic drugsExercisesIntakeTendFoundDiabetesFewerCause weightFluid retentionCarbsBodyweightPrepregnancy weightPrevent weight gainYearsQuitConsumption
- Oct. 31, 2008 -- Gaining 40 pounds or more during pregnancy nearly doubles the risk of having a baby who weighs 9 pounds or more, in turn increasing the health risks to mother and baby, according to a new study. (webmd.com)
- The researchers analyzed the numbers of women who gained more than 40 pounds -- the maximum recommended weight gain -- and whether their babies weighed more than about 9 pounds at birth, which is considered a heavy baby. (webmd.com)
- Overall, more than 20% of those who gained more than 40 pounds gave birth to heavy babies, and less than 12% of those who gained less than 40 pounds had heavy babies. (webmd.com)
- While 16.5% of women with normal glucose who gained more than 40 pounds had a heavy baby, only 9.3% of those who had normal glucose levels who gained less than 40 pounds had a heavy baby. (webmd.com)
- While 29.3% of women with gestational diabetes who gained more than 40 pounds had big babies, just 13.5% of those with gestational diabetes who gained 40 pounds or less did. (webmd.com)
- In general, he advises patients to aim for a gain of 25 to 35 pounds if they are normal weight before getting pregnant . (webmd.com)
- Ideally, he tells women, aim for a gain of just five to seven pounds in the first 20 weeks, then about 20 to 30 in the remaining weeks. (webmd.com)
- Most people who quit smoking gain 4 to 10 pounds (2 to 4.5 kilograms) in the first 6 months after quitting. (medlineplus.gov)
- Some gain as much as 25 to 30 pounds (11 to 14 kilograms). (medlineplus.gov)
- I have gain 20 pounds too and I am only three weeks ahead of you. (medhelp.org)
- I gained 8 pounds in one month at one visit. (medhelp.org)
- You are almost 6 months along and you can gain up to 35 pounds and still be in the 'heathy' recommended weight gain. (medhelp.org)
- I will be lucky if I only gain 35 pounds by the end haha. (medhelp.org)
- The IOM recommendations for GWG are 28-40 pounds for underweight women, 25-35 pounds for normal-weight women, 15-25 pounds for overweight women, and 11-20 pounds for obese women ( 1 ). (cdc.gov)
- For the average American woman standing 5 feet 4 inches tall this means an increase in 5.8 pounds of body weight. (reuters.com)
- Among people in the study who got at least two and a half hours of weekly exercise, car commuters gained an average of four pounds over four years - one pound more than people who got to work another way or worked from home. (foxnews.com)
- One person might gain 15 pounds on one drug. (webmd.com)
- Some depression drugs may cause you to gain as much as 24 pounds in a year. (webmd.com)
- For those who do gain weight, the gain is only about 6 to 8 pounds. (medicinenet.com)
- Only about 10% of people who quit smoking gain 30 pounds or more. (medicinenet.com)
- In one review that looked at data from 2,600 women, researchers found an average weight gain of almost 6 pounds. (healthline.com)
- Women who are shaped more like pears -- meaning they gained weight in their hips -- tend to experience more memory problems than those shaped like apples because they put on the pounds around their waist. (washingtonpost.com)
- I've always been this thin, I did lose a few pounds from a medication I was on a few weeks ago just because it made me too tired to actually eat, but other than that I haven't really lost much weight. (yahoo.com)
- Weight gain is especially pervasive-the average adult gains about a pound per year-so even if people taking a medication do put on a few pounds, it's hard to pin the effect on a particular drug. (slate.com)
- I was working on losing weight when I got preg lost over 200 pounds was at 197 when I got prey. (medhelp.org)
- Is 28 pounds a lot to gain by 29 weeks? (medhelp.org)
- The results: Every group gained about the same amount of fat-around 7.5 to 8 pounds. (menshealth.com)
- But while the low-protein group lost 1.5 pounds of lean body mass, the normal- and high-protein subjects gained 6 to 7 pounds of lean body mass. (menshealth.com)
- I don't know my weight in pounds), I know I got heavier after surgery, and put on weight again after SRT. (healingwell.com)
- To gain 2 pounds a week you would simply add 1000 calories a day to your current diet.This should be about 100 grams of protein, 100 grams of carbs, and 20 grams of fat, this equals 980 calories with less than 20% coming from fat. (hubpages.com)
- TUESDAY, July 18, 2017 (HealthDay News) -- For many adults, weight gain is slow and steady, but new research suggests that even a few extra pounds can boost your risk of chronic diseases such as type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure . (medicinenet.com)
- The researchers found that for every 11 pounds gained, the risk of diabetes went up 30 percent. (medicinenet.com)
- For example, for people who gained 44 pounds or more, the odds of type 2 diabetes spiked by 10-fold compared to those who kept their weight relatively stable over the years. (medicinenet.com)
- At age 55, the average weight gain for women was 28 pounds and for men it was 21 pounds. (medicinenet.com)
- The guidelines suggest that normal-weight women gain around 25 pounds during pregnancy, but that obese women limit their weight gain to between 11 and 20 pounds. (philly.com)
- For a 200-pound woman, that would mean gaining no more than six pounds. (philly.com)
- By week 34 of pregnancy, women in the weight-control group had gained an average of 11 pounds and women in the comparison group had gained 18.5 pounds. (philly.com)
- By two weeks after giving birth, moms in the weight control group were an average of almost six pounds lighter than when they enrolled in the study, whereas in the comparison group moms were an average of 2.6 pounds heavier. (philly.com)
- The study team found mothers gained around 31 pounds on average during each pregnancy. (redorbit.com)
- For each kilogram (2.2 pounds) of pregnancy weight gain, the BMI of the child at age 12 increased by 0.02 (kg/m2). (redorbit.com)
- Children born to women who gained excessive amounts of weight - 40 pounds or more - during pregnancy had an 8 percent increased risk of obesity" at age 12. (redorbit.com)
- In fact, a 2007 study of nearly 8,000 people found that over a five-year period, married men gained six more pounds than their same-aged bachelor buddies, while wedded women gained nine more pounds than their single counterparts. (psychcentral.com)
- Take for example two infants with the same birth weight who, after six months, weigh 7.7 kg (16.9 pounds) and 8.4 kg (18.4 pounds), a 0.7 kg (1.5 pounds) difference. (newswise.com)
- On average, the participants gained about four and a half pounds over the five-year period. (menshealth.com)
- If he hasn't actually lost pounds but has slowed in how quickly he's gaining weight, it might just be a normal slowing of his growth rate. (babycenter.com)
- only to be disappointed when you've actually gained a few pounds. (popsugar.com)
- It's literally impossible (well, almost impossible) to gain three pounds of fat overnight. (popsugar.com)
- Still think you really gained three pounds overnight? (popsugar.com)
- I started dabbling in running after college to help me lose the 40 pounds I had gained . (popsugar.com)
- I seriously thought something must be wrong because I had gained almost 10 pounds in the four months since I'd started running. (popsugar.com)
- The results: annual projected body weight increase in the prebiotic group of 6.6 pounds-in the healthy range. (prnewswire.com)
- By contrast, the projected increase in the placebo group was 17.6 pounds, triple the expected yearly weight increase. (prnewswire.com)
- During that time, the women gained an average of about 20.5 pounds. (cnn.com)
- Women who started biking for just five minutes a day gained about 1.5 fewer pounds over the course of the study than similar women who didn't take up biking, the researchers found. (cnn.com)
- Women who increased their daily biking by 30 minutes during the study kept even more weight off, gaining about 3.5 fewer pounds than those whose biking habits stayed the same. (cnn.com)
- Indeed, Lusk and her colleagues found that women who increased the time they spent walking briskly by 30 minutes per day during the study gained about four pounds less than their peers who didn't increase their walking. (cnn.com)
- Overweight women who biked for 30 extra minutes per day over the course of the study gained about seven pounds less than those who didn't, for instance. (cnn.com)
- Eating certain categories of calorie- and protein-rich food should help you to gain weight, and 20 pounds isn't too high of a goal to achieve. (google.com)
- With that in mind, here are some foods to concentrate on that may help you to gain some pounds. (google.com)
- A review of studies related to melatonin side effects and weight gain shows that the supplements won't cause you to pack on the pounds. (livestrong.com)
- Most women will gain about 10 to 15 pounds during their menopausal years. (epigee.org)
- You sure can gain pounds of weight during the months when sun reins. (indiatimes.com)
- Haley had a few pounds to lose and by just cutting back a little on her food and watching treats more carefully, she's back to her ideal weight. (amazonaws.com)
- Like lots of kids, she gained the so-called Freshman 15, but she was a pretty skinny teenager and could afford the extra pounds. (freep.com)
- I promise I'm not some hypercritical mom who needs her child to be perfect - my concerns didn't set in till she had added an estimated 40 pounds to her high school weight. (freep.com)
- Obesity - are cortisol and leptin levels(low) connected to weight gain and metabolism? (drugs.com)
- The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) has demonstrated that obesity is a risk factor for snoring and sleep apnea and that snoring may cause weight gain or the inability to lose weight . (philly.com)
- For example, if pregnancy is a time of significant weight gain, then obstetricians-gynecologists could play a role in obesity prevention. (medicinenet.com)
- During pregnancy, gynecologists may provide weight counseling, but once a mother has delivered, she may not see the gynecologist for a while, and care shifts back to her primary care doctor, who may be uncomfortable raising the idea of obesity," Dietz explained. (medicinenet.com)
- More than half of women in the U.S. start out their pregnancies overweight or obese, and approximately half of all pregnant women gain too much weight during pregnancy, which can lead to increasing overweight and obesity," said lead author Dr. Kimberly K. Vesco of the Center for Health Research at Kaiser Permanente,Northwest, in Portland, Oregon. (philly.com)
- Nine percent of babies born to mothers in the weight-control group were large for their gestational age - which increases the risk of birth injury and infant low blood sugar - compared to 26 percent of babies in the other group, according to the results published in the journal Obesity. (philly.com)
- Increases in fructose consumption have paralleled the increasing prevalence of obesity, and high-fructose diets are thought to promote weight gain and insulin resistance. (redorbit.com)
- According to a new Arkansas-based study, a woman's weight gain during pregnancy has a direct impact on her child's risk of obesity through age 12. (redorbit.com)
- From the public health perspective, excessive weight gain during pregnancy may have a potentially significant influence on propagation of the obesity epidemic ," warned study author Dr. David S. Ludwig , an obesity prevention expert at the Harvard School of Public Health. (redorbit.com)
- He suggested programs to restrict pregnancy weight gain may help prevent some cases of childhood obesity . (redorbit.com)
- Excessive pregnancy weight gain may make a significant contribution to the obesity epidemic," Ludwig noted. (redorbit.com)
- According to the study authors, their overall study findings are important because they imply "measures to limit pregnancy weight gain may help prevent obesity in the subsequent generation. (redorbit.com)
- There are plenty of normal-weight people who get type 2 diabetes, heart disease and other health problems often associated with obesity ( 11 ). (healthline.com)
- FINDINGSAn ongoing study of pregnant women and their babies has found that rapid weight gain during the first six months of life may place a child at risk for obesity by age 3. (newswise.com)
- They found that sudden gains throughout early infancy influenced later obesity more so than weight at birth. (newswise.com)
- While some studies have looked at the connection between obesity and birth weight, none have measured how rates of weight gain in relation to body length during infancy may effect obesity. (newswise.com)
- A new study led by researchers in the Department of Ambulatory Care and Prevention at Harvard Medical School and Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, as well as Children's Hospital Boston, has found that rapid weight gain during the first six months of life may place a child at risk for obesity by age 3. (newswise.com)
- There is increasing evidence that rapid changes in weight during infancy increase children's risk of later obesity," says lead author Elsie Taveras, assistant professor in the HMS Department of Ambulatory Care and Prevention and co-director of the One Step Ahead clinic, a pediatric overweight prevention program at Children's Hospital Boston. (newswise.com)
- Most prior studies examining the relationship between infant weight gain and later childhood obesity focus primarily on body weight. (newswise.com)
- In this study, Dr. Taveras and colleagues in the HMS Department of Ambulatory Care and Prevention examined how weight and body length, or weight-for-length, in infancy can influence later obesity. (newswise.com)
- The connection between rapid infant weight gain and later obesity was striking, even after adjusting for factors such as premature babies or those underweight at birth. (newswise.com)
- It's typical to try and find out why the person thinks they're struggling with weight gain or obesity. (healthcentral.com)
- However, a 2018 study suggests that genetic predisposition to weight gain and obesity can be thwarted with exercise efforts , especially during menopause. (healthcentral.com)
- Weight gain and obesity can be caused by a number of factors, from poor diet, to high stress and sleep problems. (prnewswire.com)
- A lesser known cause of weight gain and obesity is an unhealthy mix of colon bacteria in the digestive track, a condition called dysbiosis . (prnewswire.com)
- It is designed to be used with every weight-loss or obesity treatment program. (prnewswire.com)
- The study highlights some of the complexities regarding how the thyroid may be related to weight gain and obesity. (thyroid.org)
- Additional research in this field will continue to help us understand how the thyroid hormones, even when not in the abnormal range, may be important in regulating metabolism, weight, and the development of obesity. (thyroid.org)
- A standardized measure of obesity calculated by dividing the weight in kilograms by the square of the height. (thyroid.org)
- The results suggest weight discrimination feeds a vicious cycle, in which people who are overweight or obese are likely to experience weight discrimination, which in turn leads to obesity and difficulties with weight management, according to the study, which was published July 24 in the journal PLOS ONE. (livescience.com)
- In the new study, the researchers didn't test the mechanisms that might be driving the link between discrimination and obesity, but they said they suspect that people who experience weight discrimination are more likely to develop unhealthy behaviors as coping strategies, including binge eating and avoiding physical activity. (livescience.com)
- What's really striking in the study is that not only does weight discrimination increase the risk of obesity, but it's also related to remaining obese over time," said Rebecca Puhl, deputy director at the Rudd Center for Food Policy & Obesity at Yale University. (livescience.com)
- When it comes to weight loss, as well as overall health, eating whole foods should be emphasized over counting calories. (healthline.com)
- If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. (news24.com)
- The relationship between snoring and weight gain is linked to alterations in our metabolism, increased appetite and decreased energy expenditure. (philly.com)
- Smoking also increases your metabolism, so when you stop smoking, your metabolic rate begins to fall and your weight increases because your body now burns fewer calories. (foxnews.com)
- They "directly affect your brain and will affect your weight and metabolism ," DeCotiis says. (webmd.com)
- Some drugs lower metabolism, which can lead to weight gain. (cancer.ca)
- Having too low levels of thyroid hormone (hypothyroidism) slows your metabolism and increases the chance you'll gain weight. (rxlist.com)
- Aging slows the metabolism, so weight gain is likely if your dietary habits remain the same. (rxlist.com)
- She said that as smoking speeds up your metabolism, it slows down when you quit so can be harder to lose weight but Sea Kelp, she said, is a natural product which can boost your metabolism. (dailystrength.org)
- Medicines can affect metabolism and appetite, both of which can result in weight gain. (reference.com)
- Some medical issues cause lower metabolism, which means the body uses fewer calories, which can easily lead to weight gain. (reference.com)
- Having an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) can boost metabolism and cause unhealthy weight loss. (healthline.com)
- I am wondering if anyone knows of way of gaining weight by slowing down body metabolism (either by drugs or any type of food or any other way). (google.com)
- I do not believe that you really want to slow down your metabolism permanently-- in a few years, you'll be glad you have a high metabolism when you're sidestepping the weight gain that everyone else has at certain ages. (google.com)
- It is well-known than hypothyroidism (an underactive thyroid gland) can lead to slower metabolism, weight gain, and a higher body-mass index (BMI). (thyroid.org)
- Just as there are products marketed for quick weight loss, there also are products marketed for "miraculous" weight gain. (eatright.org)
- Weight loss Prozac 10mg & weight gain but happy on 20mg, want to feel happier but not gain weight? (drugs.com)
- And none of your old tricks for quick weight loss--doing three days of Atkins, going to the gym a couple of times a week, cutting back on alcohol or sweets--are working for you the way they once did. (newsweek.com)
- It also might explain why, says Swithers, scientific consensus on human use of artificial sweeteners is inconclusive, with various studies finding evidence of weight loss, weight gain or little effect. (purdue.edu)
- She is also the creator of The F-Factor DietaC/, an innovative nutritional program she has used for more than ten years to provide hundreds of her clients with all the tools they need to achieve easy weight loss and maintenance, improved health and well-being. (foxnews.com)
- You might need to be on that drug to save your life," says Donald Waldrep, MD, co-director of The Center for Weight Loss Surgery at Los Robles Hospital. (webmd.com)
- There's evidence that a low-carb diet and more exercise may help," says Sue DeCotiis, MD, a board-certified internist who specializes in medical weight loss. (webmd.com)
- In light of this, a team of researchers from the Biomedicine Discovery Institute at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia, has recently conducted a study striving to gain a better understanding of the brain mechanisms that contribute to weight gain and loss. (medicalnewstoday.com)
- When this mechanism functions normally, it allows the body to stabilize its weight, preventing excessive gain - or loss - of fat. (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Potentially we may be able to rewire this mechanism to promote energy expenditure and weight loss in obese individuals. (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Once you are smoke-free you can concentrate on weight loss efforts. (medicinenet.com)
- Losing weight on purpose (intentional weight loss) is not recommended during cancer treatment. (cancer.ca)
- Some, such as Breastcancer.org , list weight gain as a possible side effect, while other sources, such as Mayo Clinic , list both weight gain and weight loss. (healthline.com)
- Finally, remember that weight loss can take time. (healthline.com)
- Does the memory improve with weight loss? (washingtonpost.com)
- Are men exempt from memory loss from weight gain? (washingtonpost.com)
- Most of the people I've known with serious memory loss lose weight. (washingtonpost.com)
- How do you explain the paleo and wholefood30 way of eating and the success its had for assisting people in losing weight and/or maintaining their weight loss? (care2.com)
- What about the large number of people who lose weight on the Atkins diet or the study that showed that eating foods high on the glycemic index (which includes meat) causes weight loss? (care2.com)
- When Enovid was approved as a contraceptive in 1960, it came with a booklet noting that " weight gain or loss occurs occasionally . (slate.com)
- Most of this loss is water weight. (medlineplus.gov)
- Kris Jenner's weight loss is because of a health reason. (inquisitr.com)
- Melina Jampolis, M.D., a specialist in nutrition for weight loss, disease prevention, and treatment, is a coauthor of The Calendar Diet (Wagging Tail Press). (bhg.com)
- Are Weight-Loss Pills Healthy? (bhg.com)
- Future research should develop weight loss/maintenance interventions particularly for younger patients who have lost a substantial amount of weight prior to surgery, as they are most at risk for substantial post surgical weight gain. (chicagotribune.com)
- Laura runs her own personal training program based in the San Francisco Bay Area and specializes in topics such as weight loss, muscle growth, cardiovascular training, and strength training. (wikihow.com)
- Weight loss occurs in the belly before anywhere else. (medicinenet.com)
- It pioneers a counterintuitive, but proven, path for achieving sustained weight loss based on having fun and living more. (triplepundit.com)
- I achieved this weight loss while still enjoying sunset happy hours most evenings. (triplepundit.com)
- My research found that the path to sustained weight loss is through best practices, versus recipes or metrics, that empower people to customize a weight loss path that reduces stress and enables fun. (triplepundit.com)
- Let's face it: If getting on the scales could deliver sustained weight loss, we would all be fashion model thin, and I would be a bald Ryan Gosling look-alike. (triplepundit.com)
- A key breakthrough in my research on weight gain was when I linked green team tools I used in coaching business owners with the best practices surfacing around successful weight loss. (triplepundit.com)
- My expanded effort will be searching for, and reporting on, the sustainable best practices that enable weight loss, fun and living more . (triplepundit.com)
- They looked at whether or not a diet was easy to follow, nutritious, safe, effective for weight loss, and effective against diabetes and heart disease. (mercola.com)
- The DASH diet, in many ways is similar to the Mediterranean diet, and has been found to be quite successful at both reducing hypertension and promoting weight loss at the same time. (mercola.com)
- It's pretty well-established that marriage is associated with weight gain, and divorce is associated with weight loss," said Dr. Andrea Meltzer, assistant professor of psychology. (psychcentral.com)
- Having uncontrolled diabetes (mainly type 1) can lead to severe weight loss. (healthline.com)
- The primary reason I meet with an individual is to help with weight loss efforts. (healthcentral.com)
- I personally have witnessed successful weight maintenance or weight loss in menopausal women who never exercised regularly. (healthcentral.com)
- risperdal,risperdal molecule,risperdal in children risperdal withdrawl.the drug risperdal.risperdal pda.risperdal hungry.taking risperdal while trying to conceive.risperdal.risperdal consta weight loss.depression medication mirtazapine risperdal sam-e seratonin.risperdal and tegretol.sig dose for risperdal.risperdal overdose in dogs. (ne.jp)
- This program is basically the opposite of Weight Loss with similar emphasis on avoiding junk foods, excessive fats, and other poor nutritional choices. (healthy.net)
- Illness can cause weight loss. (healthy.net)
- Flus or debilitating diseases such as cancer can lead to loss of weight, which can be hard to regain, especially when those with these problems are not used to higher-calorie diets. (healthy.net)
- Several medical problems can be associated with weight loss or the inability to gain weight. (healthy.net)
- It is possible to run for weight loss . (popsugar.com)
- In fact, preliminary research suggests it may help with weight loss. (livestrong.com)
- No link exists between melatonin supplements and weight gain, but it's possible the pills may help with weight loss. (livestrong.com)
- So I've been running for the past 2 years with no weight loss or weight gain. (shapefit.com)
- Stress hormones can prevent weight loss as they signal to your body to go into a storage mode. (epigee.org)
- Are cheat meals good or bad for weight loss? (indiatimes.com)
- Real chicken is the #1 ingredient which supports healthy weight loss and maintains lean muscle. (amazonaws.com)
- Alcohol and weight loss are enemies. (indiatimes.com)
- The key to healthy weight gain is to choose nutrient-rich foods as often as possible. (eatright.org)
- Make an appointment with a registered dietitian nutritionist to develop an eating plan that will help you gain weight in a healthy way with the foods you enjoy. (eatright.org)
- Many women think they need to gain a large amount to have a healthy baby ," he says. (webmd.com)
- A healthy diet and exercise program can help you manage your weight. (medlineplus.gov)
- Talk to your health care provider or a dietitian about how to make a healthy eating plan and set realistic weight goals. (medlineplus.gov)
- I was actually at a normal, healthy weight. (medhelp.org)
- Before I was injured and all this mess started, I worked hard to get and stay and a healthy weight, exercised, etc. (healingwell.com)
- After that, you can continue on your path to healthy living by reaching and maintaining a healthy weight. (medicinenet.com)
- Once I became like addicted to peanuts and had the little packets for lunch and wondered why I was gaining weight because I was eating healthy. (yahoo.com)
- In a recent study, researchers posited that following a healthy diet during times of stress is crucial for consumers to avoid excess weight gain. (consumeraffairs.com)
- Healthy weight gain consists of eating more in a balanced diet, combined with moderate exercise. (hubpages.com)
- The U.S. Institute of Medicine (IOM), a government advisory body, has issued guidelines for healthy amounts of weight gain during pregnancy, although they remain controversial . (philly.com)
- Jessica Simpson's Pregnancy Weight Gain: How Much is Healthy? (slate.com)
- Jessica Simpson and Tara Solomon: In Pregnancy, How Much Weight Gain Is Healthy? (slate.com)
- Feed your puppy a complete and balanced dog food to ensure healthy weight gain. (akc.org)
- Keeping healthy weight gain on track helps ensure a smooth transition from puppyhood to full-grown dogs. (akc.org)
- This article outlines a simple strategy to quickly gain weight - the healthy way. (healthline.com)
- Summary It's very important to eat mostly healthy foods even when you're trying to gain weight. (healthline.com)
- Don't wait until after the holidays to start living a healthy lifestyle - by New Year's Day you will most likely have some extra weight to shed that could have been prevented and that may deter you from following through with your New Year's resolutions. (sheknows.com)
- Recent research 10 , 11 also suggests that obese people suffering from atrial fibrillation, or irregular heartbeat, may restore healthy heart rhythm simply by losing weight. (mercola.com)
- If the doctor finds that your child isn't growing at a healthy rate, however, he may diagnose her with "failure to gain weight" or "failure to thrive. (babycenter.com)
- First, I provide a list of healthy, protein- and good fat-laden foods and then a secondary list of less-healthy ways to gain if you're serious about this at the expense of your health. (google.com)
- About.com-- How to Gain Weight in Healthy Ways http://nutrition.about.com/od/dietsformedicaldisorders/f/GainWeight.htm 'Protein powders and shakes can be added as meals. (google.com)
- I started at a healthy weight so I'm not super concerned. (babycenter.com)
- However in her early senior years, Sugar's vet suggested losing 5 lbs will be a healthy weight to maintain. (amazonaws.com)
- While some known breast cancer risks, such as age and family history, cannot be changed, postmenopausal women can reduce their breast cancer risk by healthy eating, exercising and maintaining an ideal body weight, says Joanne F. Dorgan, associate professor at Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia, who was an author of one of the studies reviewed in this larger analysis. (aarp.org)
- But it's important to have slow and steady gain and to keep your weight within healthy range for your body type. (parents.com)
- But the new study is believed the first to conclude that women who gain excessive weight during pregnancy are even more likely to have heavier babies than women treated for gestational diabetes who don't gain excess weight. (webmd.com)
- More than one in five women gain too much weight during pregnancy and only 5% have gestational diabetes," Hillier tells WebMD. (webmd.com)
- Other results suggest that excess weight gain -- whether or not a woman has gestational diabetes -- boosts the risk of having a heavy baby. (webmd.com)
- The weight a woman gains during pregnancy, known as gestational weight gain (GWG), has important health implications for both mother and child ( 1 ). (cdc.gov)
- Women who gain too much weight during pregnancy may retain some of that extra weight and enter their next pregnancy at a higher weight than their prior pregnancy, which can increase their risk for pregnancy complications such as gestational diabetes, high blood pressure, babies that are too big and cesarean section," Vesco, a board-certified obstetrician-gynecologist, told Reuters Health by email. (philly.com)
- The committee began its reexamination of the Institute of Medicine (IOM) (1990) recommendations for weight gain during pregnancy by evaluating trends since 1990 in both prepregnancy maternal body mass index ( BMI ) and gestational weight gain ( GWG ). (nih.gov)
- Gestational weight gain is defined as the amount of weight gain a woman experiences between conception and birth of an infant. (wikipedia.org)
- The Institute of Medicine (IOM) recommendations for gestational weight gain are based on body mass index (BMI) of women prior to pregnancy. (wikipedia.org)
- Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. (news24.com)
- I was on a nother med and my body is very sensitive to medication side effects.I am 184lbs and im 5'8 so im a little heavy and im trying to lose weight. (drugs.com)
- A new study reveals that the proportion of certain bacteria in the gut might be responsible for how much weight we are able to lose. (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Hormonal fluctuations associated with menopause may play a role in this, although exactly how remains unclear, since about equal numbers of women gain weight as lose weight while taking supplemental estrogen. (newsweek.com)
- Women need to know that it's not impossible to lose weight during these years, but it is going to be difficult to do, and it's not going to work if you approach it in a vague or half-hearted way. (newsweek.com)
- If you want to maintain your weight, or lose weight, you will also have to go on a more restrictive diet, and you have to make it measurable," she said. (newsweek.com)
- WASHINGTON - Want to lose weight? (purdue.edu)
- I would therefore advise she begins a regular exercise programme, as this will help her lose weight, promote a feeling of good health and improve her self-image. (netdoctor.co.uk)
- You may need more than 30 minutes of exercise daily to lose weight. (medicinenet.com)
- Weight gain may occur in some people with cancer, but it is more common to lose weight during cancer treatment. (cancer.ca)
- Talk to the healthcare team or a registered dietitian for suggestions on how to lose weight for health if you need to, once cancer treatment is finished. (cancer.ca)
- I gained about 30lbs and Zolof and Welbutrin and it's hard to lose-so I wonder if I'm fighting a losing battle. (dailystrength.org)
- Just wanted to share this with any fellow quitters who are also trying to lose weight. (dailystrength.org)
- great tip so glad it's working for you.Now you know you can quit AND lose weight too. (dailystrength.org)
- It is normal for babies to lose weight in the first few days of life. (medlineplus.gov)
- While breastfeeding ur uterus conyracts which is how a lot of women lose there pregnancy weight within the first month to two months of delivery. (medhelp.org)
- USING an artificial, no-calorie sweetener rather than sugar may make it tougher, not easier, to lose weight, US researchers said today. (freerepublic.com)
- Does eating more of your calories from protein mean you'll gain or lose body fat? (menshealth.com)
- Is your New Year's resolution to lose weight? (menshealth.com)
- I don't know about you, but I've never been able to lose weight and keep it off. (glamour.com)
- The researchers theorized that the reason women may lose weight while drinking moderately is because they tend to substitute alcohol for other foods, whereas men tend to eat just as much when they imbibe. (psychcentral.com)
- Indeed, the team found that patients who had lost weight before their surgery were slightly more likely to gain weight afterwards - perhaps because when people lose weight in anticipation of an event, such as surgery, they are more likely to put it back on after they're achieved the goal. (chicagotribune.com)
- UW-Health doctors are researching whether your significant other could help you lose the weight. (wpr.org)
- Cancerous tumors often burn large amounts of calories and can cause someone to lose a lot of weight. (healthline.com)
- You do not have to gain one ounce, however -- in fact, you can actually begin to lose unwanted body fat and look great for your upcoming parties if you adopt the following tried-and-true principles. (sheknows.com)
- In this study, patients who shed at least 10 percent of their weight over the course of four years were six times more likely to become symptom-free without any additional drug or surgical intervention, compared to those who did not lose weight. (mercola.com)
- Want to Lose Weight by Running? (popsugar.com)
- At the same time as gaining fat tissue, we lose muscle as we get older. (bbc.co.uk)
- Runk, who was discovered when she was 13 years old, had a choice to lose weight and remain a size 4 or gain weight and kick-start her career as a plus-size model. (yahoo.com)
- Over the past two years, I have crept to 150 - and for the life of me I cannot lose weight. (endocrineweb.com)
- I need to lose weight. (endocrineweb.com)
- Not everybody that goes to the gym wants to lose weight. (pjmedia.com)
- This old technique of showering can help LOSE WEIGHT! (indiatimes.com)
- Nevertheless, weight bias is one of the most socially accepted forms of discrimination, the researchers said, perhaps justified by the misconception that such discrimination may motivate people to lose weight. (livescience.com)
- It's the New Year and so there is a chance that one of your New Year resolutions is to lose weight . (earthtimes.org)
- The findings are likely to be of interest to the diet industry and to people in general who are looking to lose weight due to being overweight, or those looking to gain weight as part of a body building process. (earthtimes.org)
- It may be that she feels just fine with her weight, but she would be more attractive if she slimmed down a little, and it's definitely way too early in life for her to lose control of herself in this way. (freep.com)
- Although many healthcare providers perceive that patients with cancer are underweight or cachectic and consider the weight gain to be beneficial, Gallagher pointed out that a major cause of morbidity and possible mortality in patients with myeloproliferative neoplasms is cardiovascular disease. (medscape.com)
- In contrast to the perception of many health care providers, patients are not going from being underweight to being a normal weight. (medscape.com)
- Additionally, many people who are not clinically underweight still want to gain some muscle. (healthline.com)
- Whether you're clinically underweight or simply struggling to gain muscle weight, the main principles are the same. (healthline.com)
- If you're underweight, you want to gain a balanced amount of muscle mass and subcutaneous fat rather than a lot of unhealthy belly fat. (healthline.com)
- To most of the over-weight population, this would be a dream come true, but for underweight people who have trouble gaining weight, it can be a real problem. (healthy.net)
- Are you underweight and want to know how to gain weight? (medindia.net)
- Many underweight men would love to be bigger, stronger, and more physically imposing, and gaining muscular bodyweight is a simple process. (pjmedia.com)
- 18.5), normal weight (BMI = 18.5-24.9), overweight (BMI = 25.0-29.9), and obese (BMI ≥30.0). (cdc.gov)
- Weight gain can be especially frustrating for people with type 2 diabetes who were already overweight . (webmd.com)
- I have done an experiment on myself for a few years and I can see my weight changes every few months - from normal weight to overweight and back to normal weight. (hubpages.com)
- Reuters) - Being overweight is known to increase the risk of needing a knee replacement, but a new study finds that knee replacement surgery may also raise a person's risk of gaining weight, according to a U.S. study. (chicagotribune.com)
- More than half of women in the U.S. start out their pregnancies overweight or obese, and approximately half of all pregnant women gain too much weight during pregnancy. (philly.com)
- What's worse, abdominal fat gain was most pronounced in those who were overweight to begin with. (mercola.com)
- Women who were overweight or obese at the start of the study experienced even better results than normal-weight women when they increased their daily physical activity. (cnn.com)
- So unsurprisingly the study showed that dogs kept at their idea body weight lived on roughly 1.8 years longer than their overweight litter mates! (amazonaws.com)
- Small increases in weight during treatment are not usually a concern. (cancer.ca)
- Medications proven to cause weight gain, like antidepressants, antipsychotics, allergy medications, and steroids generally lead to much greater increases in body weight. (slate.com)
- Eating more calories than one uses each day, either by consuming extra calories than is typical or by being less physically active, increases weight. (reference.com)
- Soon you will see your weight increases within 2 - 3 months. (hubpages.com)
- The stress caused by discrimination increases the cortisol hormone, which is associated with weight gain. (livescience.com)
Excess weight gain4
- In the case of people predisposed to excess weight gain, this switch malfunctions, becoming stuck in the "on" position. (medicalnewstoday.com)
- What Dr. Dodd and Prof. Tiganis hope to do next is learn whether or not the switch can be determined to "tell" the body to get rid of more fat in the case of excess weight gain. (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Virtually nothing is known about the factors that promote excess weight gain in adults," Dietz said. (medicinenet.com)
- Excess weight gain can be caused by switching to adult dog food too early. (akc.org)
Pregnancy Weight Gain3
- Excessive pregnancy weight gain and big babies have often been linked, says Teresa Hillier, MD, senior investigator at the Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research, Portland, Ore., and the study's lead author. (webmd.com)
- Pregnancy Weight Gain: Advice? (webmd.com)
- Researchers found pregnancy weight gain accounted for a 0.4 BMI difference in twelve-year-olds. (redorbit.com)
- In studying two critical parts of the mice's brains -- the hypothalamus, which controls how much we eat, and the amygdala, which controls how we respond to things emotionally -- the researchers found that a molecule known as NPY is the driving force behind stress weight gain. (consumeraffairs.com)
- This is particularly important because the researchers found that if this trend happens consistently, weight gain can become persistent. (consumeraffairs.com)
- What the researchers found surprised even them - women who didn't drink at all gained the most weight over the time period. (psychcentral.com)
- The researchers found that as alcoholic intake increased, weight decreased. (psychcentral.com)
- The researchers found that five years after surgery, 30 percent of patients had gained at least five percent of their weight at the time of the surgery - at least 5 kg or more on a 100-kg person, for example. (chicagotribune.com)
- For those who gained significantly more weight, the researchers found dramatic rises in the risk of chronic illness. (medicinenet.com)
- The researchers found that there is a perpetuated genetic influence on weight gain, but exercise (especially weight bearing or muscle building) could attenuate and limit the genetic influence. (healthcentral.com)
- The researchers found that among people who were not obese, those who reported experiencing weight discrimination were 2.5 times more likely to have become obese four years later. (livescience.com)
- However, it is difficult to determine whether weight gain in women using Yaz was more frequent than weight gain in similar women not using it. (drugs.com)
- Many women will not take birth control pills because they are afraid they will gain weight. (drugs.com)
- Although women taking them often gain weight, this is likely not caused by birth control pills. (drugs.com)
- In studies, there were no significant differences in weight gain between women who took birth control pills and those who did not. (drugs.com)
- In fact, Nonas says data from the huge federal study called the Women's Health Initiative (WHI) indicates that ages 45 to 60 may be the toughest years in terms of weight maintenance that women face during their lifetimes. (newsweek.com)
- While older people generally have a harder time losing weight than younger people, the WHI study found that fiftysomethings had "a much tougher time maintaining their weight" than women in their 60s and 70s, she said. (newsweek.com)
- The study, she says, points to the need for all women to follow recommendations about not gaining excessive amounts of weight. (webmd.com)
- Questionnaire data are linked with birth certificate data, including GWG, and are weighted to represent all women delivering live infants in each state. (cdc.gov)
- For this report, women were included if they were U.S. residents delivering full-term, singleton infants and did not have missing values for prepregnancy weight, height, or GWG. (cdc.gov)
- Pregnant women who smoke risk their babies being born prematurely, having delivery complications, and babies with low birth weight. (medicinenet.com)
- Chemotherapy is associated with significant weight gain in women with breast cancer. (healthline.com)
- Many women believe taking combination oral contraceptives (birth control pills) causes weight gain. (rxlist.com)
- Most women gain some weight during menopause due to a number of reasons. (rxlist.com)
- Unfortunately, as we all know, the hips are where women tend to gain weight. (washingtonpost.com)
- Not only was meat consumption significantly associated with weight gain in both men and women, the link remained even after controlling for calories. (care2.com)
- Do birth control pills make women gain weight? (slate.com)
- According to a review published in a recent issue of the journal Contraception , concern about weight gain is among the most common reasons people quit the pill (or decide not to take it in the first place), and most women who discontinue the pill switch to something less effective or nothing at all. (slate.com)
- A study published last year tracked nearly 500 women aged 15 to 19 over several years and found that while all the teens gained some weight, those who used birth control pills gained about a pound less than those who didn't. (slate.com)
- Young women who used injectable hormonal contraceptives like Depo-Provera did pack on extra weight-they gained twice as much, on average, as everyone else. (slate.com)
- A new study suggests a surprising correlation - women who drink moderately appear to be better at keeping the weight off than those women who don't drink at all. (psychcentral.com)
- In a study of nearly 20,000 women conducted at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston by Lu Wang and colleagues, normal-weight women aged 38 or older were asked how many alcoholic beverages they typically drank in a day. (psychcentral.com)
- The women were asked to recall their weight at age 18. (medicinenet.com)
- There's a significant disparity in the difference in excessive weight gain in women than men, and whether this explains that difference isn't clear," he said. (medicinenet.com)
- For the new study, rather than giving obese women the IOM target range, Vesco's team asked 114 of them to try to maintain their weight at the start of the study, which was early in pregnancy, and assumed the women would gain a little weight anyway. (philly.com)
- The women kept food and activity journals and tracked their weight each week. (philly.com)
- In our own research we have found that many obese women do not recognise that they are obese, and many overestimate the appropriate weight gain for pregnancy - so education by health care professionals is very important," she told Reuters Health by email. (philly.com)
- It is laudable that research is taking place to answer questions that affect so many women and babies that we see every day in clinical practice, and that managing weight gain for these women may have a long term role in their own health and the health of their children," said Shub, who was not involved in the study. (philly.com)
- In the current study, researchers collected data on 629 mother-child pairs between 2006 and 2008, asking women about paraben exposure late in pregnancy and then checking children's height and weight annually. (medscape.com)
- This is particularly true if women know they're having girls, because the weight gain associated with parabens appeared to impact females, not males, Claudio said by email. (medscape.com)
- The authors admitted having the mothers' body mass index from before pregnancy would have given the study an even higher degree of accuracy, but said including this would have probably made the effect of pregnant weight gain even more pronounced, since women with a higher BMI tend to gain less weight when they become pregnant. (redorbit.com)
- The researchers also called for future studies to see how best to advise pregnant women on managing their weight gain during pregnancy. (redorbit.com)
- Women who come to me with weight gain during late perimenopause and menopause often have a standard set of answers regarding their weight gain. (healthcentral.com)
- Overall, the Cancer Research UK study found that obese women have about a one in four risk of developing a weight-related cancer in their lifetime. (mercola.com)
- On the other hand, women who only walked slowly did not manage to prevent any weight gain. (cnn.com)
- Noteworthy findings of a small study of 56 menopausal women published in Przeglad Menopauzalny in December 2014 shed additional light on the link between melatonin and weight control. (livestrong.com)
- In the menopausal women, who tend to have reduced levels of melatonin, the supplements improved quality of sleep and reduced body weight. (livestrong.com)
- About 90% of menopausal women gain some weight between the ages of 35 and 55. (epigee.org)
- Women who have experienced early menopause or surgical menopause may experience more rapid and extreme weight gain. (epigee.org)
- When evaluating trends in GWG, the committee considered whether women were gaining weight within the ranges recommended in the IOM (1990) report. (nih.gov)
- Researchers analyzed 13 previous studies involving some 6,300 postmenopausal women to evaluate how smoking, drinking, weight gain and other lifestyle elements affect levels of sex hormones linked to breast cancer. (aarp.org)
- In postmenopausal women, the major source of estrogen in the blood is associated with body weight,' says Henderson. (aarp.org)
- One of the problems though is that the introduction of this extra medication has caused excessive weight gain. (netdoctor.co.uk)
- Since I have been on this medication I have also been struggling with weight gain. (drugs.com)
- I was wondering if there is any connection between the medication and the weight gain or if it is just a coincidence. (drugs.com)
- But this is the first to tie their medication use to later weight gain, Dr. Brian S. Schwartz told Reuters Health. (reuters.com)
- In his study, kids who had taken stimulant medications at a younger age tended to have a "rebound" in weight gain as teens, even after they stopped taking the medication. (reuters.com)
- That would mean the ADHD itself, not the medication, leads to weight gain. (reuters.com)
- If you're taking tamoxifen during perimenopause or menopause , there's a chance that the weight gain might be from hormonal changes, rather than the medication. (healthline.com)
- If you do put on weight from taking a drug, don't compare yourself to others taking the same medication. (rxlist.com)
- Talk to your doctor if you feel you're experiencing weight gain as a medication side effect. (rxlist.com)
- Don't panic if you gain weight due to water retention as a medication side effect. (rxlist.com)
- I have been avoiding my hyperthyroid diagnosis for 2 years because the medication will cause weight gain. (endocrineweb.com)
- Weight gain associated with neuroleptic medication: a review. (springer.com)
- But Meltzer notes that those studies focused more on behaviors - such as taking medication on time or getting an annual physical - than weight. (psychcentral.com)
- risperdal and drug tests.risperdal and xanax interaction.risperdal consta 50 mg.risperdal hallucinations.risperdal medication.risperdal and benztropine.effects of risperdal injections.risperdal ingredient.risperdal bruxism.weight gain from risperdal 1mg.risperdal price. (ne.jp)
- I stll didn't gain significantly until I reached 35. (hubpages.com)
- By contrast, when couples are less satisfied in their marriage, or even contemplating separation, they're significantly less likely to incur the weight penalty of their happier counterparts. (psychcentral.com)
- But those who ate the most nuts a day-more than six grams, averaging about 12 grams a day-gained significantly less weight than those who didn't eat any nuts at all. (menshealth.com)
- For both male and female mice, the ones who were altered still put on weight but significantly more slowly. (medindia.net)
- According to a study from Purina maintaining your dog at it's ideal weight can significantly extend their life. (amazonaws.com)
- They matched the volunteers perfectly for body weight, fat distribution and social factors such as educational level to ensure that any differences they saw were linked to FTO, and not to other physical or psychological characteristics. (ucl.ac.uk)
- Researchers have laboratory evidence that the widespread use of no-calorie sweeteners may actually make it harder for people to control their intake and body weight. (purdue.edu)
- The data clearly indicate that consuming a food sweetened with no-calorie saccharin can lead to greater body-weight gain and adiposity than would consuming the same food sweetened with a higher-calorie sugar," the authors wrote. (purdue.edu)
- The good news, Swithers says, is that people can still count calories to regulate intake and body weight. (purdue.edu)
- They found that the typical female user of food stamps was heavier than the non-user, after taking into account a variety of factors that might influence body weight. (reuters.com)
- Extra fluid will increase body weight. (cancer.ca)
- More than 100,000 measurements of body weight changes of mice were made, including a micro MRI machine to assess body fat. (dailymail.co.uk)
- The data clearly indicate that consuming a food sweetened with no-calorie saccharin can lead to greater body-weight gain and adiposity than would consuming the same food sweetened with high-calorie sugar,'' Purdue researchers Susan Swithers and Terry Davidson wrote in the journal, Behavioural Neuroscience, published by the American Psychological Association. (freerepublic.com)
- The number of calories needed to maintain body weight depends on many factors, including gender, age, current weight and activity level. (reference.com)
- For protein get about 1.5 grams per pound of lean body weight per day. (exrx.net)
- Researchers, whose findings appeared in the journal Arthritis Care & Research, analyzed the medical records of nearly 1,000 knee-replacement surgery patients, and found that 30 percent of them gained five percent or more of their body weight in the five years following surgery. (chicagotribune.com)
- The second group attended two individualized counseling sessions where the dietician gave each woman tailored diet and physical activity guidelines, recommending at least 30 minutes of moderate activity each day, geared toward helping them gain no more than three percent of their current body weight throughout pregnancy. (philly.com)
- In fact, for each additional 15 grams of nuts per day they ate, the experienced about a 2.5 percent reduction in body weight increase, the researchers say. (menshealth.com)
- People who ate nuts at least once a week had a 10 percent lower body weight increase, the study found. (menshealth.com)
- In total, 45 percent of those who lost 10 percent or more of their body weight became symptom-free without treatment. (mercola.com)
- Stress and anxiety are often found with low body weight. (healthy.net)
- These measurements of body weight were analyzed according to their thyroid hormone blood test results. (thyroid.org)
- In this collection of 5 studies, thyroid function (as measured by blood TSH levels) was inconsistently related to various measures of body weight. (thyroid.org)
- Lower body weight is always a beneficial thing for influencing insulin sensitivity," she said. (medindia.net)
- I too have gained weight but wasn't sure if it was the drugs, going through menopause or the fact that I've quit working. (healingwell.com)
- Some medical issues, such as ovarian cysts, Cushing's and menopause, can also cause weight gain. (reference.com)
- I heard menopause causes weight gain. (healthcentral.com)
- Your lifestyle choices are largely enabling weight gain during menopause. (healthcentral.com)
- One of the foremost menopause symptoms seems to be weight gain and a change in the overall shape of your body. (epigee.org)
- But you may not necessarily have to blame yourself for this newly acquired weight - research now shows that weight gain during menopause is caused by shifts in your hormones, not greedy eating. (epigee.org)
- Most of this menopause weight gain will come on gradually (about a pound a year) during perimenopause . (epigee.org)
- During menopause, you will begin to put weight on around your abdomen, instead of around your hips, thighs, and rear. (epigee.org)
- As you enter the early stages of menopause, maintaining weight becomes more and more difficult, and losing weight becomes almost impossible. (epigee.org)
- This is why it is so difficult to control your weight during menopause ' no matter what you do, fluctuating estrogen, testosterone, and androgen levels will fight you all the way. (epigee.org)
- Like estrogen, lower levels of this hormone can be responsible for many of the symptoms of menopause and that includes weight gain, or at least the appearance of it. (epigee.org)
- Water retention and menopause often go hand in hand since water weight and bloating are caused by decreased progesterone levels. (epigee.org)
- Often, one of the first signs of menopause is an increase of androgen in your body, which causes you to gain weight around your abdominals instead of around your lower half. (epigee.org)
- Stress is also a contributing factor in weight gain in menopause. (epigee.org)
- In contrast, fewer than 20 percent of those in a comparison group of similar people who had not had surgery gained equivalent amounts of weight in the same period. (chicagotribune.com)
- This is particularly important if you have recently started losing large amounts of weight without even trying. (healthline.com)
- For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. (news24.com)
- The right diet helps, but most people in the western world aren't short of protein in the diet anyway (except vegetarians in some cases), and so weight gain should not really be a problem if the training is being done. (news24.com)
- It is also true that once Epilim is reduced or stopped, any weight gain can gradually disappear, although it is important that diet and exercise. (netdoctor.co.uk)
- Increasing the percentage of protein in one's diet can also cause a weight gain, especially when combined with working out to gain muscle. (reference.com)
- Do diet drinks cause you to gain weight? (reference.com)
- Without NPY, the weight gain on a high-fat diet with stress was the same as weight gain in the stress-free environment. (consumeraffairs.com)
- The study took into account many alternative explanations for the weight gain, including diet, exercise, and smoking. (psychcentral.com)
- Muscle weight, you simply work on strength training and increase protein in your diet. (hubpages.com)
- However, there are many other factors playing an important role in weight gain, such as a hypercaloric diet and lack of exercise," Polte said by email. (medscape.com)
- A recent study has found that eating more slowly can prevent excessive eating and weight gain in children, and without changing their diet. (yahoo.com)
- Other high-ranking diets included the Mediterranean Diet, the TLC diet, Weight Watchers, and the Mayo Clinic diet. (mercola.com)
- I haven't changed my diet at all, so it must be my thyroid or some other condition must be contributing to my weight gain. (healthcentral.com)
- Recent research again confirms what many previous studies have concluded: diet soda tends to promote weight gain rather than prevent it. (mercola.com)
- Here's what researchers discovered: Mice that were on the soybean oil diet gained 12 percent more weight than those that ate a fructose diet, and 25 percent more weight than mice on the coconut oil diet. (yahoo.com)
- At the Pennington Biomedical Research Centre in LA, George A. Bray, M.D. and his team conducted the survey to find out whether the level of protein in a person's diet affected weight gain or energy expenditure. (earthtimes.org)
- The participants were first fed a diet that helped to stabilise their weight. (earthtimes.org)
- The protein diets contained around 40% more calories than the original weight stabilisation diet. (earthtimes.org)
- However, the participants in the lower protein diet group saw much less weight gain that those in the other two groups. (earthtimes.org)
- In summary, weight gain when eating a low protein diet (5 percent of energy from protein) was blunted compared with weight gain when eating a normal protein diet (15 percent of energy from protein) with the same number of extra calories. (earthtimes.org)
- Hill's Science Diet Perfect Weight is available for Adult Dogs that require fewer calories (dogs that are less active, neutered to prone to weight gain). (amazonaws.com)
- Hill's Science Diet Perfect Weight is available for dogs and cats in both dry kibble and canned food. (amazonaws.com)
- It has long been thought that birth control pills contribute to weight gain. (drugs.com)
- However, recent data suggests that birth control pills probably do not cause weight gain. (drugs.com)
- The perceived link between birth-control pills and weight gain actually goes back to America's very first contraceptive, a combination pill called Enovid . (slate.com)
- Some medications, including antidepressants and birth control pills, cause weight gain when the medicine does not react well with the body. (reference.com)
- For those who need to, gaining weight can lead to overall better health and functionality. (eatright.org)
- Snoring and weight gain should not be ignored as the combination may cause life-threatening health conditions. (philly.com)
- At approximately 4 months postpartum, participating mothers complete a questionnaire that assesses pregnancy-related health characteristics, including height and prepregnancy weight. (cdc.gov)
- NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Stimulant medications, rather than the childhood ADHD they are used to treat, could be linked to weight gain during the teenage years, according to a new analysis of medical records. (reuters.com)
- Even if you are efficiently active during leisure time, if you use a car for commuting daily then that has an impact on weight gain,' lead author Takemi Sugiyama of the Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute in Melbourne told Reuters Health. (foxnews.com)
- People who have longer commutes tend to purchase a lot of their food and run a lot of errands on their way to and from work,' which could influence weight gain, Frank told Reuters Health. (foxnews.com)
- This situation is particularly concerning because, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), excess weight can impact other health aspects, leading to high blood pressure , diabetes , coronary heart disease , and depression . (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Gaining a large amount of weight may affect your health and well being. (cancer.ca)
- Changes in weight are reported as a less common side effect by several health organizations, but with conflicting information. (healthline.com)
- If your weight gain isn't from any of the above, there could be another underlying health issue that needs diagnosing, such as thyroid disease or diabetes . (healthline.com)
- Such an outcome may seem counterintuitive, if not an anathema, to human clinical researchers and health care practitioners who have long recommended the use of low- and no-calorie sweeteners as a means of weight control. (freerepublic.com)
- Inability to gain weight, if you are eating a lot and getting a bit of exercise, could indicate a deeper health issue. (hubpages.com)
- Although it's never too late to gain health benefits from losing weight, it becomes much harder to take weight off and keep it off the heavier you get. (medicinenet.com)
- Health professionals should pay attention to even modest weight gain," he said. (medicinenet.com)
- NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Compared to obese expectant mothers without special care, those given individualized calorie goals and weekly group meetings gained less weight during pregnancy and had fewer oversized newborns in a new study. (philly.com)
- Some health problems for both mother and fetus are related to excessive weight gain in pregnancy . (slate.com)
- We face a national health crisis because of our weight. (triplepundit.com)
- Research is now linking our increased weight with our increased health risk due to high blood pressure, heart disease and cancers. (triplepundit.com)
- The economic ramification of our nation "lost in weight" is a tidal wave of health care costs that threatens bankruptcy of people and our health care system. (triplepundit.com)
- The total cost of our national weight crisis is estimated at $5 trillion annually from increased health care costs, worker absenteeism and reduced productivity . (triplepundit.com)
- The baby-boom generation is at the tip of the spear on our national weight-gain health crisis. (triplepundit.com)
- Weight gain places them at a critical crossroads that threatens their health, finances, joy for life, and their ability to be there for their children and grandchildren. (triplepundit.com)
- What I think is happening is that people are thinking about weight maintenance in terms of appearance as opposed to health," said Meltzer. (psychcentral.com)
- Meltzer suggests that happy couples who consider weight in terms of health, as opposed to appearance, may be able to avoid the costs at the scale. (psychcentral.com)
- The next chapter looks at several effective ways to gain weight fast, without ruining your health at the same time. (healthline.com)
- Weight gain is not inevitable, except in a few dire health circumstances like Prader-Willi syndrome . (healthcentral.com)
- The study's researchers aren't sure why soybean oil led to more weight gain than sugar, but Moskovitz tells Yahoo Health that soybean oil's high omega-6 fatty acid content could be part of the problem. (yahoo.com)
- Bicycling is an answer to weight control,' says the lead author of the study, Dr. Anne Lusk, Ph.D., a research fellow in nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health, in Boston. (cnn.com)
- McKinley Health Center-- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/handouts/gaining_weight.htm 'The addition of 250-500 extra calories per day will cause a weight gain of approximately 0.5-1 pound per week. (google.com)
- Weight-related pregnancy outcomes include both maternal and child health outcomes. (nih.gov)
- We need to recognize that that's not an effective way to communicate to the public about weight and health," Puhl said. (livescience.com)
- If the dramatic gains continue, then do act, but only on the possibility there's an underlying health problem. (freep.com)
- Symptoms of an underactive thyroid gland include tiredness, feeling cold, and gaining weight. (rxlist.com)
- The thyroid hormones are important for regulating weight. (thyroid.org)
- For example, high blood TSH levels in this study (indicating a more underactive thyroid gland) were related to more weight gain. (thyroid.org)
- From these studies, higher blood TSH levels (indicating a more underactive thyroid gland) were related to actually better measures of weight gain. (thyroid.org)
- If, however, your inability to gain weight is due to depression (something that can be triggered by pregnancy and having to look after a small child), then please ask your dr to refer you to a clinical psychologist so that you work through this problem. (news24.com)
- Depression on its own can cause changes in weight as well. (rxlist.com)
- Depression, certain medications and illnesses can also cause weight gain. (reference.com)
- According to Fox News, there is evidence to support the fact that depression can cause weight gain, although the weight gain can be attributed to an increase in eating unhealthy foods and a decrease in activity that is a result of the depression instead of the depression itself. (reference.com)
- Previous research shows that experiencing weight bias may lead to depression, low self-esteem and other poor psychological outcomes. (livescience.com)
- Generally, doctors advise getting 200 minutes of exercise a week to maintain weight, she said. (newsweek.com)
- This can cause weight gain if you eat too much, eat the wrong foods, or do not get enough exercise. (medlineplus.gov)
- I get all the exercise any person would ever want and I still stay at the same weight. (healingwell.com)
- Of 822 study participants, only those who got enough weekly exercise and never drove to work managed to stave off any weight gain over the course of the study. (foxnews.com)
- Participants who didn't get enough weekly exercise also gained weight, but how much they gained wasn't tied to their mode of getting to work, according to results published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine. (foxnews.com)
- Regular exercise is one of the best ways to prevent large weight gain when you stop smoking. (medicinenet.com)
- Aim for about 30 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise nearly every day to prevent weight gain. (medicinenet.com)
- I do not think I have been gaining much weight but I am trying hard to exercise, eat my fresh fruits/veggies and taking my chewable probiotic everyday - but as I age, my memory does seem to be not as sharp as it once was. (washingtonpost.com)
- Additionally, if you're not actively engaged with weight-bearing (resistance) training, or minding your calories, then yes, you will likely gain weight if you don't introduce this type of exercise regularly or eat less. (healthcentral.com)
- In simple terms, exercise prevents weight gain in mid-life and can intercept weight gain as you get older. (healthcentral.com)
- Exercise most days of the week and include weight bearing exercise, which burns blood sugar faster than regular cardio. (empowher.com)
- Therefore, an increase in insulin levels together with a decrease in glucose levels may cause weight gain, possibly by stimulating the appetite. (netdoctor.co.uk)
- The researchers did not have detailed dietary records and are undertaking prospective studies to determine whether changes in appetite or hormone levels are associated with weight changes. (medscape.com)
- It is certainly true that Epilim is well recognised as being a drug which can cause both an increase in appetite and weight. (netdoctor.co.uk)
- Stimulants may keep weight down at first, he said, because they usually suppress appetite. (reuters.com)
- This is true whether you're taking medications that affect your appetite or weight, or if other physical or emotional factors are causing weight gain. (healthline.com)
- Some people may experience weight gain after the drug treatment is working, because they may and feel better and have a better appetite. (rxlist.com)
- Steroid medications such as prednisone are well-known causes of weight gain due to fluid retention and increased appetite. (rxlist.com)
- Appetite stimulation is probably a key cause of bodyweight gain, but genetic polymorphisms modify the bodyweight response during treatment with atypical antipsychotics. (springer.com)
- I always read about the affects of moms not gaining enough weight on the babies. (medhelp.org)
- Human milk from the baby's own mother is the best for babies born early and at very low birth weight. (medlineplus.gov)
- Weight gain is monitored closely for all babies. (medlineplus.gov)
- EBF babies dont gain weight as quickly as their FF counter parts when they are that small. (netmums.com)
- It may also explain why some people have difficulty losing weight despite attempts to modify their diets. (philly.com)
- During the 1980s and 1990s, it was widely accepted that the most important factor in weight gain is the fat content of our diets. (dailymail.co.uk)
- In the study, researchers evaluated the diets of more than 373,000 adults from 10 European countries, and then followed them up for five years to see how their weight changed. (menshealth.com)
- The link between less weight gain and nut consumption persisted even after the researchers adjusted for dietary quality-meaning, it wasn't just that nut consumers ate better diets overall, but that there does seem to be something specific about the nuts that helps ward off weight gain. (menshealth.com)
- It was found that those consuming low protein diets had less weight gain compared to the individuals who had normal and high protein diets. (earthtimes.org)
- Real-world data from a retrospective study suggest that patients who are taking ruxolitinib ( Jakafi , Incyte), which is approved for the treatment of myeloproliferative neoplasms such as polycythemia vera and myelofibrosis, experience weight gain that is much higher than previously reported in short-term clinical trials. (medscape.com)
- This study details the real-world effects of ruxolitinib on weight and metabolic factors in patients with myeloproliferative neoplasms," commented lead study author Emily J. Gallagher, MD, PhD, assistant professor of medicine specializing in onco-endocrinology at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York City. (medscape.com)
- The studies done on early parkinson's patients before the drug was released (I am well aware it can be used for other things but this is just what the study was done on) showed 2% chance of weight DECREASE. (drugs.com)
- HOWEVER, since the product has been on the market aka the drug is now on much bigger scale there have been reports of weight gain due to increased eating (hyperphagia), there is no percentages on this since it was not an actual study done but just people reporting it on their own. (drugs.com)
- We can't prove that the Food Stamp Program causes weight gain, but this study suggests a strong linkage," Jay Zagorsky, a research scientist at Ohio State University's Center for Human Resource Research, Columbus, noted in a university-issued statement. (reuters.com)
- A study recently covered by Medical News Today referred to exacerbated weight gain as a " pandemic " affecting the U.S. and wider world. (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Another recent review paper found little evidence of weight gain among users of progestin-only pills, and a similar study from 2008 likewise failed to find any connection between weight gain and pills that contain progestin and estrogen. (slate.com)
- But because the subjects were extremely sedentary-they spent their days in the lab watching TV and playing cards-study leader George Bray, M.D., doesn't believe that they gained any muscle mass. (menshealth.com)
- The next part of the study involved figuring out why NPY was increasing weight gain when stressed. (consumeraffairs.com)
- Patients who undergo knee arthroplasty are at increased risk of clinically important weight gain following surgery,' wrote study leader Daniel Riddle, a professor at Virginia Commonwealth University . (chicagotribune.com)
- After knee replacement we get them stronger and moving better, but they don't seem to take advantage of the functional gains,' said Joseph Zeni, a physical therapy professor at the University of Delaware , who was not part of the study. (chicagotribune.com)
- This study provides very strong evidence that prevention of weight gain is very important. (medicinenet.com)
- Our study found that limited or no weight gain may be beneficial for mom and baby, but we still need larger studies to confirm these findings before the IOM guidelines can change," Vesco said. (philly.com)
- The study wasn't designed to prove whether or how prenatal exposure to parabens might directly impact weight gain in children. (medscape.com)
- A new study from Yale University School of Medicine examines possible factors regarding the association between fructose consumption and weight gain. (redorbit.com)
- The study , which was published on Tuesday in the journal PLOS Medicine , included over 41,000 mothers and considered several confounding factors such as birth weight and genetics. (redorbit.com)
- In the first clinically controlled trial to study how effective eating slowly is for detecting a feeling of fullness and losing weight, a team from the University of California worked with physicians from the National University of Mexico to investigate. (yahoo.com)
- Another recent study supports the notion that when it comes to your weight, the quality of your food is paramount. (mercola.com)
- In a comprehensive study, researchers determined exactly how much weight gain is associated with the consumption of certain foods. (mercola.com)
- The worst offenders were potato chips, which caused more weight gain per serving than any other food, the study found. (mercola.com)
- To control weight over the long term -- adults gain about a pound a year on average -- the study suggests that people benefit more by focusing on eating right , rather than less. (mercola.com)
- While this study confirms earlier ones examining the relation between infancy and childhood weight, there were certain limitations. (newswise.com)
- The goal of this study was to examine genetic predisposition for weight gain. (healthcentral.com)
- While the study only looked at soybean oil on its own, Moskovitz points out that many products that contain the oil are also high in calories and sugar, which can add to even more weight gain. (yahoo.com)
- Discriminating against people because of their weight may only increase their likelihood of gaining more weight, new study shows. (livescience.com)
- Weight discrimination is relatively common," said study researcher Angelina Sutin, professor of psychology at Florida State University College of Medicine. (livescience.com)
- In the new study, the researchers looked at the heights and weights of more than 6,000 participants, measured in 2006 and 2010. (livescience.com)
- However, the study was not just about weight gain itself, it was about actual body fat. (earthtimes.org)
- Weight does increase your risk, and it looks as if it does that by increasing the hormone levels,'says Gillian Reeves, an epidemiologist at Oxford University and co-author of the July 20 study. (aarp.org)
- If they are medications that you don't have much choice about (as are mine and for many of us) I have a feeling we may have to accept some weight gain. (healingwell.com)
- Many of our medications will cause weight gain. (healingwell.com)
- As many as 10% to 15% of weight issues are related to medications," says Louis Aronne, MD, director of the Comprehensive Weight Control Center at Weill Cornell Medical College. (webmd.com)
- A side effect of many antidepressant medications is weight gain. (rxlist.com)
- While you should never stop taking any medications on your own, you can talk to your doctor about changing your treatment plan if weight gain is troubling you. (rxlist.com)
- If you do gain weight, never stop taking any medications without talking with your doctor. (rxlist.com)
- Among his pregnant patients, he says, misconceptions about the ideal weight gain during pregnancy are plentiful. (webmd.com)
- Also on loosing so much weight before you got pregnant. (medhelp.org)
- Had Jessica Simpson gained too much weight while pregnant? (slate.com)
- In a furious post yesterday, Jezebel's Tracie Egan Morrissey let loose on commentators who are criticizing Jessica Simpson for gaining too much weight while pregnant . (slate.com)
- PCOS causes hormonal imbalances that can lead to excess body hair, acne, and insulin resistance, which can cause weight gain. (rxlist.com)
- and I thought Hyperthyroidism made it hard to gain! (endocrineweb.com)
- In other words, snoring and fatigue from interrupted sleep make us hungrier and less active- and both lead to weight gain. (philly.com)
- Blocking this signaling pathway may lead to weight gain through inhibition of cytokine signaling or inhibition of growth hormone and leptin signaling, she suggested. (medscape.com)
- Lead researcher Prof. Tony Tiganis and first author Dr. Garron Dodd revealed the existence of a "switch" that tells the body what to do with the fat gained after food intake. (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Some people may eat more during cancer treatment, which can lead to weight gain. (cancer.ca)
- A lowered activity level can lead to weight gain. (cancer.ca)
- Increased stress may also lead to weight gain. (healthline.com)
- Riddle's team explained that this degree of weight gain can lead to 'meaningful effects on cardiovascular and diabetes related risk as well as pain and function. (chicagotribune.com)
- These toxins can lead to chronic inflammation throughout the body and contribute to high blood pressure, heart disease, and poor blood sugar regulation, all in addition to weight gain. (prnewswire.com)
- How exactly does alcohol lead to weight gain? (indiatimes.com)
Causes weight gain5
- While this association does not prove that the Food Stamp Program causes weight gain, it does suggest that program changes to encourage the consumption of high-nutrient, low-calorie foods should be considered," Zagorsky and Smith note in the latest issue of Economics and Human Biology. (reuters.com)
- What Causes Weight Gain After Quitting Smoking? (medicinenet.com)
- The scientific evidence is weak, though, so it's unclear whether tamoxifen causes weight gain. (healthline.com)
- What causes weight gain? (reference.com)
- Although eating carbs causes weight gain (mainly in the abdominal region), this is not the type of weight you want. (hubpages.com)
- Participants were also asked whether they thought those experiences happened to them because of characteristics including their gender, race and weight. (livescience.com)
- Excessive bodyweight gain was reported during the 1950s as an adverse effect of typical antipsychotic drug treatment, but the magnitude of bodyweight gain was found to be higher with the atypical antipsychotic drugs that were introduced after 1990. (springer.com)
- Weight gain from novel antipsychotic drugs: need for action. (springer.com)
- Now, with regards to training, you need to be doing resistance exercises using weights. (news24.com)
- Strength training exercises that work your total lower and upper body muscles are great for gaining overall mass instead of just adding extra fat. (wikihow.com)
- Read on to learn some exercises and tips to gain weight. (medindia.net)
- Using the major barbell exercises, you start with a weight you can handle and then go up a little every time you train. (pjmedia.com)
- The human body can change to a limited extent through weight training and increased food intake, but drastic changes to body shape usually are not healthful or sustainable. (eatright.org)
- Three different experiments explored whether saccharin changed lab animals' ability to regulate their intake, using different assessments - the most obvious being caloric intake, weight gain, and compensating by cutting back. (purdue.edu)
- swelling in the world (everything imaginable) and more than likely it is water weight and it will fluctuate depending on what you eat and how much salt intake you have and how much you drink. (medhelp.org)
- Red wine had the strongest impact, but white wine, beer and spirits also showed a similar inverse relationship between alcohol intake and the risk of gaining weight. (psychcentral.com)
- Weight gaining or losing is based on how much calories in one's intake per day. (hubpages.com)
- Researchers separately examined the impact of butylparaben on weight in mice, and found that exposure to this chemical was associated with increased food intake and weight gain in female offspring. (medscape.com)
- People in their 50s and 60s tend to gain weight anyway. (chicagotribune.com)
- The results found that waiting 30 seconds between each bite of food gives children the chance to realize when they are full, and prevents overeating, resulting in a significant difference between the weights of the compliant group and the non-compliant group. (yahoo.com)
- Upon analyzing the results, they found that more satisfied couples gained more weight - even controlling for confounding factors such as pregnancy. (psychcentral.com)
- It found that those who ate the most MSG, around 5 grams per day, were 30% more likely than those who ate only half a gram per day to gain weight. (justluxe.com)
- Gaining weight is mainly going to involve taking in more calories and burning fewer at the gym. (wikihow.com)
- Does Latuda cause weight gain in a lot of people or is it extremely rare to gain weight? (drugs.com)
- Bloating, or swelling due to a buildup of fluid in the tissues can cause weight gain. (medlineplus.gov)
- Does Tamoxifen Cause Weight Gain? (healthline.com)
- Other prescription drugs you take can also cause weight gain. (rxlist.com)
- Cortisol excess can cause weight gain and an increase of fat around the face, neck, waist, and upper back. (rxlist.com)
- If the pill doesn't cause weight gain, how did it get its reputation? (slate.com)
- Medical problems cause weight gain in many ways. (reference.com)
- Can sertraline cause weight gain? (reference.com)
- A rapid weight gain may be a sign of dangerous fluid retention. (medlineplus.gov)
- Eating lots of fatty foods is the only cause of weight gain - not feasting on carbs or protein, new research suggests. (dailymail.co.uk)
- Clozapine and olanzapine produce the greatest bodyweight gain, ziprasidone and aripiprazole have a neutral influence, and quetiapine and risperidone cause an intermediate effect. (springer.com)
- In addition to nutritional advice, programmed physical activity, cognitive-behavioural training and atypical antipsychotic switching, pharmacological adjunctive treatments have been assessed to counteract excessive bodyweight gain. (springer.com)
- Meanwhile, clinicians are advised to use any of these adjunctive treatments according to their individual pharmacological and tolerability profiles, and the patient's personal and family history of bodyweight gain and metabolic dysfunction. (springer.com)
- More importantly, anyone who has gone through the process of gaining muscular bodyweight will attest to the benefits of having done so, completely aside from the difference in the way he is perceived by others. (pjmedia.com)
- The primary data source was 2013 National Vital Statistics System birth data, a census of all births, for jurisdictions using the 2003 revision of the U.S. Standard Certificate of Live Birth,* which collects the maternal height, prepregnancy weight, and delivery weight data needed to examine GWG in relation to the BMI-specific IOM recommendations. (cdc.gov)
- Prepregnancy BMI was calculated using height and prepregnancy weight from the 2003 birth certificate or the PRAMS questionnaire. (cdc.gov)
- GWG was calculated by subtracting prepregnancy weight from delivery weight, and was categorized as inadequate, appropriate, or excessive if a woman gained below, within, or above the BMI-specific IOM recommendations, respectively. (cdc.gov)
- The report Nutrition During Pregnancy ( IOM, 1990 ) recommended the use of BMI to classify maternal prepregnancy weight. (nih.gov)
Prevent weight gain2
- Zagorsky, along with Patricia Smith of the University of Michigan in Dearborn, studied weight changes over 14 years in nearly 4,000 people in the food stamp program and almost 6,000 not in the program. (reuters.com)
- What's more, kids treated with stimulants appeared to gain more weight in their teen years and ended up with a BMI higher than that of youths without ADHD or past stimulant use. (reuters.com)
- And whenever you start puberty, it may take 3 or 4 years for you to fully develop and gain all of the weight and muscle mass you will have as an adult. (kidshealth.org)
- To test which of these models held true, Meltzer and her co-authors tracked 169 newlyweds (married within the previous six months) for four years, checking in biannually to assess such measures as height, weight, marital satisfaction, stress, steps toward divorce and so on. (psychcentral.com)
- Researchers studied 559 children, measuring both weight and body length at birth, 6 months, and 3 years. (newswise.com)
- It's important to have the facts about weight gain , especially during the middle years of life. (healthcentral.com)
- For years after that, running was part of my life on and off , but I didn't seriously get into it until after baby number two was 2 and a half years old, and I was ready to ditch the baby weight I was still holding onto. (popsugar.com)
- Now, almost two years later, I still do some running here and there, but adding weight training and high-intensity interval training (HIIT) made a huge difference in my body composition. (popsugar.com)
- You may miss your old "pear" shape that you had during your childbearing years, but it will be harder and harder to redistribute your weight evenly around your body. (epigee.org)
- In fact, weight gain during menopausal years is often known as "middle age spread" because of the rapid growth of the mid-section. (epigee.org)
- A couple years later, her weight gain has ballooned out of control. (freep.com)
- If you quit smoking, you might gain weight. (medlineplus.gov)
- One of the biggest concerns of smokers who quit is weight gain, but your first priority should remain stopping smoking. (medicinenet.com)
- It's not guaranteed you will gain weight when you quit smoking. (medicinenet.com)
- Can I Avoid Weight Gain After I Quit Smoking? (medicinenet.com)
- In addition to moving more, you must watch what you eat to avoid weight gain when you quit smoking. (medicinenet.com)
- People who quit smoking may gain a small amount of weight. (rxlist.com)
- I quit 3 weeks ago and was worried about possible weight gain as I am also dieting. (dailystrength.org)
- Weight gain is a big issue when u quit smoking. (medhelp.org)