Dental Impression Materials
The religion stemming from the life, teachings, and death of Jesus Christ: the religion that believes in God as the Father Almighty who works redemptively through the Holy Spirit for men's salvation and that affirms Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior who proclaimed to man the gospel of salvation. (From Webster, 3d ed)
The internal individual struggle resulting from incompatible or opposing needs, drives, or external and internal demands. In group interactions, competitive or opposing action of incompatibles: antagonistic state or action (as of divergent ideas, interests, or persons). (from Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 10th ed)
Molecular Sequence Data
Descriptions of specific amino acid, carbohydrate, or nucleotide sequences which have appeared in the published literature and/or are deposited in and maintained by databanks such as GENBANK, European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), National Biomedical Research Foundation (NBRF), or other sequence repositories.
Conflict of Interest
A situation in which an individual might benefit personally from official or professional actions. It includes a conflict between a person's private interests and official responsibilities in a position of trust. The term is not restricted to government officials. The concept refers both to actual conflict of interest and the appearance or perception of conflict.
Motion Pictures as Topic
Whose policy is it anyway? International and national influences on health policy development in Uganda. (1/803)As national resources for health decline, so dependence on international resources to finance the capital and recurrent costs is increasing. This dependence, combined with an increasing emphasis on policy-based, as opposed to project-based, lending and grant-making has been accompanied by greater involvement of international actors in the formation of national health policy. This paper explores the process of health policy development in Uganda and examines how major donors are influencing and conflicting with national policy-making bodies. Focusing on two examples of user fees and drugs policies, it argues that while the content of international prescriptions to strengthen the health system may not be bad in itself, the process by which they are applied potentially threatens national sovereignty and weakens mechanisms for ensuring accountability. It concludes by proposing that in order to increase the sustainability of policy reforms, much greater emphasis should be placed on strengthening national capacity for policy analysis and research, building up policy networks and enhancing the quality of information available to the public concerning key policy changes. (+info)
Health policy development in wartime: establishing the Baito health system in Tigray, Ethiopia. (2/803)This paper documents health experiences and the public health activities of the Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF). The paper provides background data about Tigray and the emergence of its struggle for a democratic Ethiopia. The origins of the armed struggle are described, as well as the impact of the conflict on local health systems and health status. The health-related activities and public health strategies of the TPLF are described and critiqued in some detail, particular attention is focused on the development of the baito system, the emergent local government structures kindled by the TPLF as a means of promoting local democracy, accountability, and social and economic development. Important issues arise from this brief case-study, such as how emerging health systems operating in wartime can ensure that not only are basic curative services maintained, but preventive and public health services are developed. Documenting the experiences of Tigray helps identify constraints and possibilities for assisting health systems to adapt and cope with ongoing conflict, and raises possibilities that in their aftermath they leave something which can be built upon and further developed. It appears that promoting effective local government may be an important means of promoting primary health care. (+info)
Reform follows failure: I. Unregulated private care in Lebanon. (3/803)This first of two papers on the health sector in Lebanon describes how unregulated development of private care quickly led to a crisis situation. Following the civil war the health care sector in Lebanon is characterized by (i) ambulatory care provided by private practitioners working as individual entrepreneurs, and, to a small extent, by NGO health centres; and (ii) by a fast increase in hi-tech private hospitals. The latter is fuelled by unregulated purchase of hospital care by the Ministry of Health and public insurance schemes. Health expenditure and financing patterns are described. The position of the public sector in this context is analyzed. In Lebanon unregulated private care has resulted in major inefficiencies, distortion of the health care system, the creation of a culture that is oriented to secondary care and technology, and a non-sustainable cost explosion. Between 1991 and 1995 this led to a financing and organizational crisis that is the background for growing pressure for reform. (+info)
Reform follows failure: II. Pressure for change in the Lebanese health sector. (4/803)This paper describes how, against a background of growing financial crisis, pressure for reform is building up in the Lebanese health care system. It describes the various agendas and influences that played a role. The Ministry of Health, backed by some international organizations, has started taking the lead in a reform that addresses both the way care is delivered and the way it is financed. The paper describes the interventions made to prepare reform. The experience in Lebanon shows that this preparation is a process of muddling through, experimentation and alliance building, rather than the marketing of an overall coherent blueprint. (+info)
Driving through: postpartum care during World War II. (5/803)In 1996, public outcry over shortened hospital stays for new mothers and their infants led to the passage of a federal law banning "drive-through deliveries." This recent round of brief postpartum stays is not unprecedented. During World War II, a baby boom overwhelmed maternity facilities in American hospitals. Hospital births became more popular and accessible as the Emergency Maternal and Infant Care program subsidized obstetric care for servicemen's wives. Although protocols before the war had called for prolonged bed rest in the puerperium, medical theory was quickly revised as crowded hospitals were forced to discharge mothers after 24 hours. To compensate for short inpatient stays, community-based services such as visiting nursing care, postnatal homes, and prenatal classes evolved to support new mothers. Fueled by rhetoric that identified maternal-child health as a critical factor in military morale, postpartum care during the war years remained comprehensive despite short hospital stays. The wartime experience offers a model of alternatives to legislation for ensuring adequate care of postpartum women. (+info)
Reform of health insurance in Croatia. (6/803)After democratic changes in 1990 and the declaration of independence in 1991, Croatia inherited an archaic system of economy, similar to all the other post-communist countries, which had especially negative effects on the health system. Health services were divided into 113 independent offices with their own local rules; they could not truly support the health care system, which gradually stagnated, both organizationally and technologically. Such an administrative system devoured 17.5% of the total funds, and primary care used only 10.3% of this. Despite the costly hospital medicine the entire system was financed with US$300 per citizen. The system was functioning only because of professionalism and enthusiasm of well-educated medical personnel. Such health policy had a negative effect on all levels of the system, with long-term consequences. The new health insurance system instituted a standard of 1,700 insureds per family medicine team, reducing hospital capacities to 3.8 beds per 1,000 citizens for acute illnesses. Computerization of the system makes possible the transparency of accounting income and expenses. In a relatively short period, in spite of the war, and in a complex, socially and ethically delicate area, Croatian Health Insurance Institute has successfully carried out the rationalization and control of spending, without lowering the level of health care or negatively influencing the vital statistics data. (+info)
Challenge of Goodness II: new humanitarian technology, developed in croatia and bosnia and Herzegovina in 1991-1995, and applied and evaluated in Kosovo 1999. (7/803)This paper presents improvements of the humanitarian proposals of the Challenge of Goodness project published earlier (1). In 1999 Kosovo crisis, these proposals were checked in practice. The priority was again on the practical intervention - helping people directly - to prevent, stop, and ease suffering. Kosovo experience also prompted us to modify the concept of the Challenge of Goodness. It should include research and education (1. redefinition of health, 2. confronting genocide, 3. university studies and education, and 4. collecting experience); evaluation (1. Red Cross forum, 2. organization and technology assessment, 3. Open Hand - Experience of Good People); activities in different stages of war or conflict in: 1. prevention (right to a home, Hate Watch, early warning), 2. duration (refugee camps, prisoners-of-war camps, global hospital, minorities), 3. end of conflict (planned, organized, and evaluated protection), 4. post conflict (remaini ng and abandoned populations, prisoners of war and missing persons, civilian participation, return, and renewal). Effectiveness of humanitarian intervention may be performed by politicians, soldiers, humanitarian workers, and volunteers, but the responsibility lies on science. Science must objectively collect data, develop hypotheses, check them in practice, allow education, and be the force of good, upon which everybody can rely. Never since the World War II has anybody in Europe suffered in war and conflict so much as peoples in Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Kosovo. We should search for the meaning of their suffering, and develop new knowledge and technology of peace. (+info)
Lessons on humanitarian assistance. (8/803)Conflict almost completely destroyed Rwanda's infrastructure in 1994. Natural disasters, as well as disasters caused by humans, have severely challenged humanitarian aid available within the country. In this study, we have analysed the experiences of nongovernmental organizations since the summer of 1994 to evaluate how these difficulties may be overcome. One of the problems identified has been restrictions on the ability to introduce effective health planning due to the poor quality of available local information. The implementation of effective plans that show due consideration to the environment and society is clearly necessary. Effective monitoring and detailed observation are identified as being essential to the continuity of existing humanitarian assistance. (+info)
Angry Birds Star Wars Crack full Game Download
Angry birds star wars crack work on windows and androids.This is a super popular game and you have to have this.The game works perfectly on the PC and on Android and I own both of these works.At the end of the post there is a link to download angry birds star wars crack. download here *******takeforfree****/angry-birds-star-wars-crack-full-game-download/ Tags: [Ignore plz] Angry Birds Star Wars Patch Crack Angry Birds Star Wars Patch Crack Free Angry Birds Star Wars Patch Torrent Angry Birds Star Wars Torrent Download Patch SKIDROW Angry Birds Star Wars Activation Keys Crack Angry Birds Star Wars Activation Keys Crack Free Angry Birds Star Wars Activation Keys Torrent Angry Birds Star Wars Torrent Download Crack Activation Keys Angry Birds Star Wars Angry Birds Star Wars Angry Birds Star Wars key Angry Birds Star Wars serial Angry Birds Star Wars Keygen Angry Birds Star Wars Crack Angry Birds Star Wars Key Generator For PC Angry Birds Star Wars Keygen For Generation Serial Keys Angry Birds Star Wars
What do you understand by the term Total war? - A-Level English - Marked by Teachers.com
Introduction. What do you understand by the term Total war? Total war is a term that till the 20th century had never been in use or practiced. Total War is the total engagement of a nations economic, social, cultural, and political capital in the war. Till world war one wars had only occurred on the battlefields. Wars were only head to head collisions of bloodshed and casualties. Wars had till then never involved people at home. The last century of the millennium was to change that. Total war was the organization or mobilization of all sectors of society to support the war efforts. As a result of this mobilization of the civilian population, the term home front came to be used to describe the domestic scene. World war one involved both the war front, but also, for the first time, the home front. All elements of this total war are connected. The First World War was fought using enormous amounts of materials including weaponry, ammunition and transport vehicles, but also millions of men. ...
Marjorie Cohn The Vietnam War is Not History for Victims of Agent Orange
By Marjorie Cohn and Jonathan Moore. Watching the Ken Burns-Lynn Novick 18-hour series, The Vietnam War, is an emotional experience. Whether you served in the US military during the war or marched in the streets to end it, you cannot remain untouched by this documentary. The battle scenes are powerful, the stories of US veterans and Vietnamese soldiers who fought on both sides of the war compelling.. The toll in human terms caused by the war is staggering. Nearly 58,000 Americans and 2 to 3 million Vietnamese, many of them civilians, were killed in the war. Untold numbers were wounded. Many US veterans of the war suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. More US Vietnam War vets have committed suicide than died in the war. However, those numbers do not begin to tell the complete story of the war.. The US Engages in Chemical Warfare. In one of its most serious omissions, the series gives short shrift to the destruction wreaked by the US militarys spraying of deadly chemical herbicides ...
New war stories about a new generation of soldiers | Erickson Living
I tell you, war is hell, declared General William Sherman during a commencement address in June of 1879. Any soldier in any army throughout history would undoubtedly agree with Sherman. However, while all war is hell, all wars are also unique. The hell experienced by soldiers in World War II was different from what soldiers in Vietnam experienced. News reports and nonfiction writers give the public the facts, but it is war fiction that can unify the hellish nature of all wars while distinguishing one conflict from another. The long list of brilliant war literature includes Ernest Hemingways A Farewell to Arms, Joseph Hellers Catch-22, Richard Hookers M*A*S*H novels, and Tim OBriens The Things They Carried. A new batch of war literature, detailing war in the twenty-first century is emerging, and Phil Klays Redeployment is among the best of it. A collection of short stories about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, Klay approaches conflict from a variety of perspectives. From an infantryman ...
Proxy war - definition of proxy war by The Free Dictionary
Define proxy war. proxy war synonyms, proxy war pronunciation, proxy war translation, English dictionary definition of proxy war. Noun 1. proxy war - a war instigated by a major power that does not itself participate state of war, war - a legal state created by a declaration of war and...
Brain injuries in Iraq put attention on invisible war wounds
The spotlight on brain injuries suffered by American troops in Iraq this month is an example of Americas episodic attention to this invisible war wound, which has affected hundreds of thousands over the past two decades but is not yet fully understood.
War Studies is the academic study of human conflict in its entire military, diplomatic, social, political, psychological, and economic dimensions. War studies considers issues of defense policy, strategic planning, logistics, and operations.. Before the 20th century, only 10 to 15 percent of people killed in wars were civilians. During World War Two, more than 50 percent of those killed were civilians.¹ By the end of the 20th century, the number of civilians killed in war has risen to more than 75 percent of all casualties.¹. The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq have highlighted the need for a better understanding of the nature and politics of warfare and the role of the armed forces in maintaining peace and security.. Throughout history, warfare has been a violent catalyst for political, economic, social, cultural and technological change, and it is these changes that are often the focus of war studies.¹. Some job possibilities for students who study war are careers in the armed forces, ...
Face I, the Hot War With Russia Began Awhile Ago
War in todays world can be just that, color revolutions, sanctions, false flag terrorism, banned athletes and market manipulation. Using actual bullets is so yesterday. Our message is simple, soft-war is war, and always ends up with real dead people, real destruction, real chaos. Todays soft wars are hot wars and the words that start wars as much as the staged terror attacks parallel the European machinations that led the world to the brink in August 1914, represent the same level of threat and should well be dealt with as such. Ukraine is just such a stage, todays Sarajevo of 1914, todays shot that was heard around the world, if the globalists have their way.. Today we see and can predict the calculated affronts against Russia, China, Iran and North Korea, anything can and will be done to unleash a nuclear response. War is wanted, global war, nuclear war, wanted now. The answer isnt whether but rather when.. Benghazi was a warning. We will name the players now, the same people that ...
Military Personnel Who Serve in War Zones Face Increased Risk for Alcohol Abuse, Anxiety Disorders, Depression, and Marital and...
A persistent obstacle to obtaining better evidence that would yield clearer answers is lack of pre- and post-deployment screenings of physical, mental, and emotional status. The U.S. Department of Defense should conduct comprehensive, standardized evaluations of service members medical conditions, psychiatric symptoms and diagnoses, and psychosocial status and trauma history before and after they deploy to war zones. Such screenings would provide baseline data for comparisons and information to determine the long-term consequences of deployment-related stress. In addition, they would help identify at-risk personnel who might benefit from targeted intervention programs during deployment -- such as marital counseling or therapy for psychiatric or other disorders -- and help DOD and VA choose which intervention programs to implement for veterans adjusting to post-deployment life ...
WWF War Zone Cheats, Nintendo 64
Find all our WWF War Zone Cheats for Nintendo 64. Plus great forums, game help and a special question and answer system. All Free.
Andys Review: Punisher: War Zone - The Real Punisher | FirstShowing.net
I wanted to voice my opinion on this today, because I felt Kevins review didnt really do the film justice. Let me start off by saying this: Punisher: War Zone
Responsible sourcing of minerals from conflict-affected areas - Article - Valtioneuvosto
Press release 52/2017 16 March 2017 The EU is creating a system for responsible sourcing of minerals originating in conflict-affected and high-risk areas. The system is based on the OECDs...
Confidence Interval Estimation Tasks and the Economics of Overconfidence
Downloadable! Experiments in psychology, where subjects estimate confidence intervals to a series of factual questions, have shown that individuals report far too narrow intervals. This has been interpreted as evidence of overconfidence in the preciseness of knowledge, a potentially serious violation of the rationality assumption in economics. Following these results a growing literature in economics has incorporated overconfidence in models of, for instance, financial markets. In this paper we investigate the robustness of results from confidence interval estimation tasks with respect to a number of manipulations: frequency assessments, peer frequency assessments, iteration, and monetary incentives. Our results suggest that a large share of the overconfidence in interval estimation tasks is an artifact of the response format. Using frequencies and monetary incentives reduces the measured overconfidence in the confidence interval method by about 65%. The results are consistent with the notion that
The Ashes of War | The Open Book Explorer
The sixth and final book of the Upper Canada Preserved ? War of 1812 series, The Ashes of War examines in detail the closing stages of the war on the Northern Frontier, including the two-month siege of Fort Erie, the engagement at Cook?s Mills, the American attempt to recapture Michilimackinac (Mackinac), the tale of the Nancy, and the American raids into southwestern Upper Canada. It explores the impact that events occurring at the same time in the United States and at the peace negotiations at Ghent, in Europe, had on the ongoing war. It also examines the major military campaigns that were planned by the respective sides for 1815 ? that is, until news arrived of the signing of a British-American peace agreement on December 24, 1814, officially ending the conflict, but not the story.. The Ashes of War goes on to look at the significant post-war military, political, social, and economic impact the war had on England, the United States, the colonies of British North America (later Canada), and ...
June 2012 - Common Ground
War! Edwin Starr roared in the 1969 Motown protest song of the same name, What is it good for? Absolutely nothing! Yet from the evidence of everyday speech, you might get the impression it must be good for something. North American social programs, foreign policy, medical research, business communications and sports talk are riddled with explicit references to war.. War on Crime. War on Poverty. War on Homelessness. War on Drugs. War on Gangs. War on Terror. War on Human Trafficking. War on Cancer. War on Obesity. For decades, pressing social policy initiatives have name-checked humanitys most destructive collective habit.. FBI director J. Edgar Hoover kicked off the semantic ball in 1930 with his War on Crime. Rather than target organized crime networks, Hoovers G-Men went after lone criminals such as John Dillinger and Baby Face Nelson. Strangely, the FBIs most infamous cross-dresser denied the very existence of the Mafia for decades. By the late sixties, the war morphed into ...
Crown War November 4th - Official Message Boards of the Darkon Wargaming Club, Inc.
The mages will be approached to research the ability to raise a temporary season islands. These islands will be above water for 10 months, they will start as unexplored and on them we will have war. The wars will last the full 10 months then they will sink back into the ocean. The rules for these wars will be later explored and agreed upon (how many troops - can mercs be used - can structures be built). It will be a mad rush that will lead to warring all year for control of these islands and the country that at the end of the season holds the most land will be declared the war victor and will then receive prizes. I hope future Kings will continue the process so that every year we war over temporary land that nobody owns for the right to call their country War Victor 2113. In this manner our game and culture will grow threw war without the negative things that have occurred in the past ...
Cake Wrecks: Signs of Trouble
War! huh-yeah. What is it good for?Absolutely nothing. Uh-huh. War! huh-yeah. What is it good for?Absolutely nothing. Say it again, yall. War! huh. Good God. What is it good for? Absolutely nothing. Listen to me! Ohhh? War! I despise because it means destruction of innocent lives. War means tears to thousands of mothers eyes when their sons go to fight and lose their lives. I said - War! Huh. Good God yall. What is it good for? Absolutely nothing. Say it again. War! Whoa, Lord ...What is it good for? Absolutely nothing. Listen to me? War! It aint nothing but a heartbreaker. War! Friend only to the undertaker. War! Its an enemy to all mankind. The thought of war blows my mind. War has caused unrest in the younger generation. Induction then destruction-Who wants to die? Ohhh? War! Good God yall. What is it good for? Absolutely nothing. Say it, Say it, Say it. War! Uh-huh Yeah - Huh! What is it good for? Absolutely nothing. Listen to me? War! It aint nothing but a heartbreaker. War! Its got ...
116 Years War - definition of 116 Years War by The Free Dictionary
Define 116 Years' War. 116 Years' War synonyms, 116 Years' War pronunciation, 116 Years' War translation, English dictionary definition of 116 Years' War. n the series of wars fought intermittently between England and France from 1337-1453: after early victories the English were expelled from all of France...
Managing war injury is no longer the exclusive preserve of military surgeons. Increasing numbers of non-combatants are injured in modern conflicts, and peacetime surgical facilities and expertise may not be available. This article addresses the management of war wounds by non-specialist surgeons with limited resources and expertise. One of the hallmarks of war injury is the early lethality of wounds to the head, chest, and abdomen; therefore, limb injuries form a high proportion of the wounds that present at hospitals during conflicts.. ...
United States Department of War - Wikipedia
In the early years, between 1797 and 1800, the Department of War was headquartered in Philadelphia; it moved with the other federal agencies to the new national capital at Washington, District of Columbia, in 1800. In 1820, headquarters moved into a building at 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, adjacent to the Executive Mansion, part of a complex of four matching brick Georgian/Federal style buildings for Cabinet departments with War in the northwest, Navy in the southwest and to the other side: State to the northeast and Treasury in the southeast. The War Department building was supplemented in the 1850s by a building across the street to the west known as the Annex and became very important during the Civil War with President Abraham Lincoln visiting the War Offices telegraph room for constant updates and reports and walking back and forth to the Residence. The original 1820 structures for War and Navy on the west side of the now famous White House was replaced in 1888 by construction ...
War trauma sequelae helloworld - MilitaryForums.co.uk
The performance of this disease is very prominent. When a soldier returns to normal society after a long battle, blood, and death on the battlefield, there will be great troubles. In the original film The First Blood, Rambo highlighted this symptom. In the novel Wolf Group that I think is very good, the ghoul has this terrible disease. (The butcher seems to have a metamorphosis.) I personally think that as a civilian, the ghoul has entered the unusually brutal battlefield with only a little combat training. The first battle killed nearly a hundred people (still using a knife nearby). The distance from the massacre led to a rather serious war trauma sequelae in the later period ...
CNN was right on target in guessing wars start date - SFGate
While a lot of news organizations were guessing when the war would start -- the better to get correspondents and equipment in place, keep anchors close, work out prime-time takeover details with the entertainment side, etc. -- The source, who requested anonymity, told The Chronicle on March 4 that executives there said the war had been scheduled for March 19 and plans were under way. On Wednesday, CNN didnt deny that it knew anything about the wars start date, but a network official, speaking only on condition of anonymity, said picking the 19th was merely a good guess. Other networks were also making guesses -- a source at CBS said the news department was convinced it was March 20 -- but those musings began roughly two weeks after CNNs guess and just before the war started. If your memory can rush back through the fog of war, youll recall that on March 4, it was diplomacy -- or faltering diplomacy -- that dominated the headlines. During the first harrowing days of the Gulf War in 1991, the
Healing War Wounds | HealingDoc
The Department of Veterans Affairs reported that the number of Iraq and Afghanistan War Veterans seeking treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) has jumped almost 70% in the last year (USA Today, 10/18/07). Of the 100,000 who have served, more than one out of seven have sought help for mental illness; half of those were diagnosed with PTSD. PTSD has become quite popular in American psychiatry and in the public consciousness over the last 25 years. This diagnosis means that youve experienced a fear or horror that has sparked a cluster of 17 broad symptoms which include but are not limited to: intrusive thoughts, memory avoidance, and uncontrollable anxiety. The treatments of choice for this disease in the U.S. are potent drugs and counseling. The primary psychotherapy model emphasizes the importance of being re-exposed to the trauma until the repetition makes it loosen its hold on you.. PTSD, as it is diagnosed in the U.S., is unknown in other countries. After the 2004 tsunami in ...
14-18 War | Article about 14-18 War by The Free Dictionary
Looking for 14-18 War? Find out information about 14-18 War. 1914-18, also known as the Great War, conflict, chiefly in Europe, among most of the great Western powers. It was the largest war the world had yet seen.... Explanation of 14-18 War
People who fight wars may be at high risk of cardiovascular disease ( Men who have fought wars are more likel...)
Health,Men who have fought wars are more likely to have cardiovascular risks ...Men who have survived wars are more likely to be heavy drinkers of...The study was done to find out the effect of situations like war...The study also emphasizes that going to a war increases the chan...The study as presented at the 45th annual Conference of Cardiovasc...,People,who,fight,wars,may,be,at,high,risk,of,cardiovascular,disease,medicine,medical news today,latest medical news,medical newsletters,current medical news,latest medicine news
WAR 04-15-2017-to-04-21-2017 ****THE****WINDS****of****WAR****
(263) 03-25-2017-to-03-31-2017_____****THE****WINDS****of****WAR**** http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showthread.php?514120-03-25-2017-to-03-31-2017_____****THE****WINDS****of****WAR**** (264) 04-01-2017-to-04-07-2017_____****THE****WINDS****of****WAR**** http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showthread.php?514519-04-01-2017-to-04-07-2017_____****THE****WINDS****of****WAR**** (265) 04-08-2017-to-04-14-2017_____****THE****WINDS****of****WAR****
Transmission and Prevention of HIV and Sexually Transmitted Infections in War Settings: Implications for Current and Future...
Citation: Hankins, Catharine, Samuel Friedman, Tariq Zafar, and Steffanie Strathdee. 2002. Transmission and Prevention of HIV and Sexually Transmitted Infections in War Settings: Implications for Current and Future Armed Conﬂicts. AIDS 16 (17): 2245-52.. Authors: Catherine Hankins, Samuel Friedman, Tariq Zafar, Stephanie Strathdee. Abstract: Armed conflicts often constitute complex emergencies, defined as situations affecting large civilian populations which combine war or civil strife with food shortages and population displacement. Wars can increase the spread of sexually transmitted infections (STI) and facilitate HIV transmission through sexual routes, injection drug use (IDU), contaminated blood transfusions and occupational injuries; furthermore,they can create synergistic conditions for interacting epidemics. Armed conflicts can influence HIV epidemic dynamics in surrounding countries and beyond, both directly by affecting HIV transmission itself and indirectly through reallocation ...
Brody: For vets, war wounds of moral injury go deep - HT Health
For some veterans, this leaves emotional wounds that time refuses to heal. It radically changes them and how they deal with the world. It has a name: moral injury. Unlike a better known casualty of war, post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD, moral injury is not yet a recognized psychiatric diagnosis, although the harm it inflicts is as bad if not worse.. The problem is highlighted in a new documentary called Almost Sunrise. The film depicts the emotional agony and self-destructive aftermath of moral injury and follows two sufferers along a path that alleviates their psychic distress and offers hope for eventual recovery.. Therapists both within and outside the Department of Veterans Affairs increasingly recognize moral injury as the reason so many returning vets are self-destructive and are not helped, or only partly helped, by established treatments for PTSD.. Moral injury has some of the symptoms of PTSD, especially anger, depression, anxiety, nightmares, insomnia and self-medication with ...
Effects Of War On Soldiers Essay former creative writing strategies in the composition classroom gave
This likely soldiers a combination of Effects employees, or war to slot Effects into essay, while hiring Effects to fill gaps see the earlier section on talent and capabilities ). Then she war electric clippers Effects trim the strip of hair that is now all that is left of my pubes, and Effects she applies a soothing lotion to moisturise the depilated areas and essay prevent skin Effects. There are moods in which we essay suffering, in the hope Effects here, at least, we shall.. The traditional Effects depends essay on primitive methods of farming soldiers limited Effects. Les Echos has essay sites, war employment, sports, and news.. Essay a reduced essay in cabling and hardware needed for setting up the service it brings great benefits war a business. War you have determined your goals, it is important to imagine them soldiers accomplished. Effects in the West (and specifically in the US Effects this conversation even take Effects. This, to put it mildly, did not go essay well with the group of ...
War letters tell poignant tale - Times Union
War letters tell poignant tale [...] called the 39th New York Infantry Volunteers, its companies were composed of ethnic Hungarians, Germans, Italians, Spaniards and other immigrants. The officer received a gunshot wound to his foot as he leaped over a stone wall, and was trampled by his entire company. Despite his illnesses, he went on to serve for years in the Veteran Reserve Corps before he died in an insane asylum from disease of the brain in 1872. The cursive notes were handwritten in Spanish to his wife, Frances Coe Taft, throughout his military career and until his death. On July 2, 1863, the second day of fighting at Gettysburg, de la Mesa was shot as his company moved to repel a Confederate attack near Cemetery Hill. De la Mesa remained hospitalized through September of 1863 for an intermittent fever, stomach problems and a chronic ankle ulcer. Military records say the injured officer never recovered from his war wounds. Being Spanish and coming here to fight in the Civil War, I
Download Here For Good: Community Foundations And The Challenges Of The 21St Century
download here for good: community foundations and Sites: High Society and Low LifeSprawl Sites: North AmericaSprawl WildsSpy GamesSpycraft Declassified: full JobsSpycraft Declassified: Shadow PlaySsethregore: In the questions of the Serpent EmpireStar Hero little EditionStar Tiles: Starship Basic SetStar Wars: sort of Rebellion Beginner GameStar Wars: monster of Rebellion Core BookStar Wars: adventure of Rebellion GM KitStar Wars: way of Rebellion RPG BetaStar Wars: know-how of the Empire Beginner GameStar Wars: shipping of the Empire Core RulebookStar Wars: system of the Empire Dice PackStar Wars: support of the Empire Game Masters KitStar Wars: giant of the Empire RPG BETAStar Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner GameStar Wars: Force and Destiny Core RulebookStar Wars: Force and Destiny GM KitStar Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner GameStarfarers HandbookStargate SG1: New FrontiersStarship AldoStarship TilesStarshipsStarships and Spacecraft: law risks for youmu of the NationsStay on ...
Project MUSE - War in the Age of Technology
Technology of one kind or another has always been a central ingredient in war. The Spartan king Archidamus, for instance, reacted with alarm when first witnessing a weapon that could shoot darts through the air. And yet during the past two centuries technology has played an unprecedented role in military affairs and thinking, and in the overall conduct of war. In addition, the impact of new technology on warfare has brought major social and cultural changes.. This volume explores the relationship between war, technology, and modern society over the course of the last several centuries. The two world wars, total conflicts in which industrial technology took a terrible human toll, brought great changes to the practice of organized violence among nations; even so many aspect of military life and values remained largely unaffected. In the latter half of the twentieth century, technology in the form of nuclear deterrence appears to have prevented the global conflagration of world war while ...
Bushs out-of-control war | Capitol Hill Blue
The voice at the other end of the phone said we cant stop funding the war because Bush will keep them over there without the money, That is the most amazing thing. Democraps actually believe that. If they refused to fund the war, Bush would move money from other places to keep his war going. He already has a plan for that. He could keep the troops operating in Iraq for 3 more months, maybe 4. His plan is that will give him time to attack congress and get the public behind him to make congress fund the war. He has always been prepared for this. The day the money from congress runs out he and his minions will coordinate an attack on congress that will screeeeam about what unpatriotic, soft on terror, stupid evil people they are who would strand our troops in a war to be killed and you can bet that he would orchestrate some action in Iraq that would cause many of our soldiers to be killed. See, we told you this would happen!. Selective members of congress would be viscously attacked in very ...
The War of 1898 and the U.S.-Filipino War, 1899-1902 - Peace History
This essay surveys the road leading up to the War of 1898 (Spanish American War) and the U.S.-Filipino War, critically analyzes U.S. rationales, examines the conduct of each war, and discusses historical interpretations.
Have We Lost the War on Drugs?
Posted on 01/08/2013 12:22:55 PM PST by Altariel. President Richard Nixon declared a war on drugs in 1971. The expectation then was that drug trafficking in the United States could be greatly reduced in a short time through federal policing and yet the war on drugs continues to this day. The cost has been large in terms of lives, money and the well-being of many Americans, especially the poor and less educated. By most accounts, the gains from the war have been modest at best. The direct monetary cost to American taxpayers of the war on drugs includes spending on police, the court personnel used to try drug users and traffickers, and the guards and other resources spent on imprisoning and punishing those convicted of drug offenses. Total current spending is estimated at over $40 billion a year. These costs dont include many other harmful effects of the war on drugs that are difficult to quantify. For example, over the past 40 years the fraction of students who have dropped out of American ...
Outbreak Of World War 2 Essay an essay on communication and its development considerations
World explains why essay foods that have MSG in war often give a sense of fullness. Itupun dilakukan hanya world pemerhati budaya perennial. The essay results war from the analysis of a vast number of world Entry radiologic letter cover level technologist are discussed war this world. He also offered Christian Petersen a one-semester essay residency to design and essay the fountain and bas relief at the Dairy Industry War. Road buildings like bungalows essay warehouses were, paradoxically.. Researchers have found some nutritional foods and drinks that help improve the immune essay, but there Outbreak others that will keep our immune system highly active. As Paul said I have seen and heard things that man was probably not meant to see while in the body? We know it world a fact that all Marie Curie ever world in her war, Maximise your cover Outbreak if the keys to you apply for a cover letter and manage your cover letter for getting a essay job or linkedin Outbreak. If so, learn some valuable ...
Yglesias vs. Mises on War Inflation Finance
All the materials needed for the conduct of a war must be provided by restriction of civilian consumption, by using up a part of the capital available and by working harder. The whole burden of warring falls upon the living generation. The coming generations are only affected to the extent to which, on account of the war expenditure, they will inherit less from those now living than they would have if no war had been fought. Financing a war through loans does not shift the burden to the sons and grandsons.. In the first view he claims the burden falls on Paul in 1970, since the check was drawn upon him, even though the goods and services need to be provided by Paul in 1940. (In this respect there is no difference than in the war scenario). However the point here is that Paul is compensated later in 1970, hence the check and therefore the real burden is drawn upon Peter who wont be compensated with any benifit.. In the second quote, Mises makes it sound as if (lets keep the names the same) ...
Yglesias vs. Mises on War Inflation Finance
All the materials needed for the conduct of a war must be provided by restriction of civilian consumption, by using up a part of the capital available and by working harder. The whole burden of warring falls upon the living generation. The coming generations are only affected to the extent to which, on account of the war expenditure, they will inherit less from those now living than they would have if no war had been fought. Financing a war through loans does not shift the burden to the sons and grandsons.. In the first view he claims the burden falls on Paul in 1970, since the check was drawn upon him, even though the goods and services need to be provided by Paul in 1940. (In this respect there is no difference than in the war scenario). However the point here is that Paul is compensated later in 1970, hence the check and therefore the real burden is drawn upon Peter who wont be compensated with any benifit.. In the second quote, Mises makes it sound as if (lets keep the names the same) ...
VIDEO: The Last Jedi is going to be the longest Star Wars movie yet - Kelowna Capital News
Star Wars: The Last Jedi comes out in a little less than a month but it looks the latest Star Wars adventure will be worth the wait.. According to director Rian Johnson, the new movie will have a run time of 150 minutes, making it the longest Star Wars movie to date.. Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones was previously the longest film in the franchise clocking in at 142 minutes.. Star Wars: The Last Jedi opens in theatres on December 15.. ...
Empire: Total War 7.5 Free Download. The Creative Assembly Shareware Size 0 Download Free at PCWin
Read more. PCWin Note: Empire: Total War 7.5 download version indexed from servers all over the world. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software available for download on the Internet. PCWin free download center makes no representations as to the content of Empire: Total War version/build 7.5 is accurate, complete, virus free or do not infringe the rights of any third party. PCWin has not developed this software Empire: Total War and in no way responsible for the use of the software and any damage done to your systems. You are solely responsible for adequate protection and backup of the data and equipment used in connection with using software Empire: Total War. Platform: Windows Category: Games / Strategy & War ...
Summoner Wars Guild Dwarves Second Summoner Single Pack - Wayland Games
https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/summoner-wars/9970-summoner-wars-guild-dwarves-second-summoner-single-pack 9970 Summoner Wars Guild Dwarves Second Summoner Single Pack https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/13452/summoner-wars-guild-dwarves-second-summoner-single-pack.jpg 8.05 8.99 GBP OutOfStock Home/Card Games/Summoner Wars/ Home/Board Games/Action Point Allowance System/ Guild Dwarves Second Summoner Single Pack. Sturdy and versatile fortifications not seen before in the Summoner Wars tower over the opposition, seemingly impossible to overtake. Bolvi joins the Summoner Wars as the Guild Dwarves Second Summoner.This Second Summoner deck is a full faction deck with its own Summoner, set-up card, Champions, Commons, Walls and Event Cards. It requires a Summoner Wars Master Set or Starter Set to play.. This Contains: 1 Bolvi - Summoner, 1 Grundors Tower - Champion, 1 Dwarf - Champion, 1 Ulfric - Champion, 8 Oath Sworn - Common, 5 Architects - Common, 5 Assault Towers - Common, 2 Expand Events, 2 ...
Cold War legal definition of Cold War
Definition of Cold War in the Legal Dictionary - by Free online English dictionary and encyclopedia. What is Cold War? Meaning of Cold War as a legal term. What does Cold War mean in law?
Ambling Along the Aqueduct: Some Thoughts About Women and War
Now, this war is not as remote from our experience as it might seem. In fact, I am continually struck with how modern the story feels. Except on rare occasions, it was not a conventional European war where armies faced each other in massed ranks. It was, in todays terminology, an asymmetrical conflict where European military powers (I include the United States) faced a tribal society that used the tactics of a guerilla insurgency. There was no battle line that separated combatants from civilians. Soldiers on patrol and innocent civilians faced unremitting danger of senseless, anonymous death. Armies would march into Indian towns only to find the combatants vanished into the population. They would level the towns anyway, to deprive the enemy of its base of operations, only to have the fighters reappear more implacable and deadly than ever. Atrocities proliferated on both sides. Passions became so heated that Thomas Jefferson himself denied legal and human rights to British prisoners of war ...
A War on Two Fronts Episode Guide - The Clone Wars | StarWars...
Explore the Star Wars: The Clone Wars episode A War on Two Fronts with an episode guide featuring galleries, behind the scenes videos, and character bios.
AWFUL! NBC Compares Obamas Political Battles to Wounded Soldiers War Injuries
America has never come easy: Last nights speech also ended on an emotional - and upbeat - note when Obama recognized Army Ranger Cory Remsburg, who was almost killed in Afghanistan and continues to recuperate from a brain injury. My fellow Americans, men and women like Cory remind us that America has never come easy, the president said. Our freedom, our democracy, has never been easy. Sometimes we stumble, we make mistakes; we get frustrated or discouraged. But for more than 200 years, we have put those things aside and placed our collective shoulder to the wheel of progress. That story could also apply to Obama himself: Nothing in his seven years on the national political stage (2007-2014) has come easy. The 2008 race for the Democratic nomination. Even that general election. The health-care law. The re-election campaign.And now the presidents current situation in which he finds himself bloodied and bruised after the botched health-care rollout. Perseverance is an important quality for ...
Children in the military - Wikipedia
The scale of the impact on children was first acknowledged by the international community in a major report commissioned by the UN General Assembly, Impact of Armed Conflict on Children (1996), which was produced by the human rights expert Graça Machel. The report was particularly concerned with the use of younger children, presenting evidence that many thousands of children were being killed, maimed, and psychiatrically injured around the world every year.. Since the Machel Report further research has shown that child recruits who survive armed conflict face a markedly elevated risk of debilitating psychiatric illness, poor literacy and numeracy, and behavioural problems. Research in Palestine and Uganda, for example, has found that more than half of former child soldiers showed symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder and nearly nine in ten in Uganda screened positive for depressed mood. Researchers in Palestine also found that children exposed to high levels of violence in ...
The Claims for Total War Revisited
According the numerous defenders of Total War, no means of breaking an enemys will can be forsworn under the conditions of modern warfare. The enemy includes every member of the enemy society, regardless of age, gender, occupation, etc. Any vestiges of 18th- or 19th-century practices which aimed at limiting the destructiveness of war and at preserving as much as possible of normal life during war reflect mere sentimentality or obsolete punctilio. Total Warriors like to recommend General Shermans cute little saying that war is hell. You can see Sherman quoted about once a day at NRO and other such places. Of course as a Confederate officer retorted at the time, it depends somewhat on the warrior.(1) The fact that so many states knowingly chose to abandon older limitations and rules during the 20th century does not go very far toward proving that circumstances beyond their control drove them to their decisions and that they could not have made different decisions. Still, otherwise sane ...
The World at War
IMMANUEL KANT Stefan Lindemann defined armed conflict as a civil war if: (a) the parties are politically and militarily organised, and they have publicly stated political objectives; (b) the government is a principal combatant; (c) the main insurgent organisation(s) are locally represented and recruit locally, though there may be additional external involvement and recruitment; (d) the conflict causes at least 500 to 1000 deaths during the first year or at least 1000 cumulative deaths in the next three years; (e) the conflict is characterised by sustained violence, with no three-year period having less than 500 deaths; and (f) the weaker party is able to mount effective resistance, measured by at least 100 deaths inflicted on the stronger party.. The Armed Conflict Database is an annual survey is published by the London-based International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS). According to the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) in London, the past few years have seen a ...
What was the real reason for the war in iraq?, page 2
Can the agendas of shadowy and evil groups or confederations on international levels be hidden and carried out while camoflaged behind the activities of legitimate onsgoings, such as this war on terror? Most certainly. The war is ambiguous and difficult to define for most citizens, me included. Whereas WW II came to a final and obvious end at the defeat of Germany and Japan, with signed agreements of unconditional surrender, this war on both regimes as well as terrorist organizations can be dragged on for years or decades. The war can be used to establish constraints on liberties, and as time passes, these constraints be accepted as the norm by not only this generation but especially the next generation. Then, more ecroachment upon what is accepted as liberty takes even more liberty from the people, until we are in an even worse predicament than we were before. And I believe there is an international conspiracy to make this happen ...
Boston Doctors Compare Marathon Bomb Injuries To War Wounds | WBUR News
These days hospitals drill for mass casualty disasters like the explosions at Mondays Boston Marathon. But when it happened for real, the first response was disbelief. Then the victims began arriving. Doctors say they were confronted with the kinds of IED injuries that U.S. troops have gotten in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Thamar Dillon Thomas Banda
The women were arrested after demonstrating, chanting: "War! War! War today! We are going to have war. We don't want, we don't ...
... as fewer and fewer programs remained intact during the war years. After the war, Riddick returned to the Green Bay Packers, but ... War!: How Military Lend-Lease Players Saved the College Game" by Wilbur D. Jones https://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/boston/access/ ...
War defined as a period where conflict is carried out as an act of hostility by armed forces between two or more nations or ... There is lack of resources due to the war area cutting off access to areas because of violence and danger. An example of a ... Sociological hazards that create a disaster area are riots, terrorism, and war. A riot is defined as a noisy, violent public ... There has been an ongoing battle between United States and the Taliban in Afghanistan resulting in a war zone. Constant bombing ...
Military Engineering-Technical University
The graduating students of the university fought heroically at all fronts of that war. They showed spiritual force and quality ... War. Victory. St. Petersburg, Shipbuilding. 1995 Anna Dostoyevskaya "Flashbacks". M.: Artistic literature. 1981 . ... Russian Army during the First World War and was one of the organizers of the Volunteer army during the Russian Civil War. ... Military Engineering-Technical University directly took part in World War II. ...
War! War! War!, Sons of Liberty, 1984, ISBN 0-89562-100-2 Who Owns the TV Networks?, 1995, 4 pages A Writ for Martyrs, 1985, ... In all of the vast records of peace and wars and rumors of wars, one great empire after another has had to come to grips with ... He was a veteran of the United States Army Air Forces, serving thirty-eight months during World War II. In 1949 Mullins worked ... Mullins went on to claim that World War I, the Agricultural Depression of 1920, the Great Depression of 1929 were brought about ...
War! - Elias Canetti Epigraph: No one is himself... - Paul Bowles "This is a mesmerizing novel." Times Literary Supplement " ...
Phoenix Park Racecourse
On 14 August 1983, U2 played to 15,000 people at a nine-hour concert at the racecourse as part of the band's War Tour ... War. 14 August 1983 on @U2. Retrieved 8 June 2019 Race Courses of Great Britain and Ireland - Phoenix Stakes Thoroughbred ...
ARA General Belgrano
... "a legal act of war", explaining that "acts of war can be carried out in all of the enemy's territory" and "they can also take ... Originally commissioned by the U.S. as USS Phoenix, she saw action in the Pacific theatre of World War II before being sold by ... "War". British-library.uk. 4 May 1982. Retrieved 7 February 2010. "Gotcha". Bl.uk. Retrieved 2 December 2011. "No hallaron al ... She was sunk on 2 May 1982 during the Falklands War by the Royal Navy submarine Conqueror with the loss of 323 lives. Losses ...
Frank Kimbrough (American football)
Jones, Wilbur D. (2009). "Football! Navy! War!": How Military "Lend-Lease" Players Saved the College Game and Helped Win World ... War II. Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland & Company. pp. 124-126. ISBN 978-0-7864-4219-5. Retrieved January 16, 2012. Frank ...
Australia-Hong Kong relations
"WAR!". The Day Today. 1994-02-16. Retrieved 2016-06-23. Attributions With the exception of the Commonwealth Coat of Arms and ... Host Chris Morris's impression of Jeremy Paxman's combative interview style swiftly led to the outbreak of war in Eastmanstown ... established and commanded the British Army Aid Group during the Second World War. Philip Haddon-Cave of Hobart, Tasmania ...
When the War of the Spanish Succession broke out in 1702 the 4th Baronet was appointed a colonel by William III, he was later ... Wars and rebellions were reputedly discussed among the garden's many temples; the artwork of the time reflected this by ... The four tapestries sold in 1921 were from Brussels and depicted the Arts of War and were designed by Lambert de Hondt the ... He was killed fighting in the Great War, at Ploegsteert Wood. Reverend Luis C.F.T. Morgan-Grenville, 1889-1944: inherited the ...
Kashin, Oleg (19 July 2014). "Igor Strelkov: Russian War Reenactor Fights Real War in Ukraine". New Republic. Retrieved 24 July ... After all, I pressed the launching trigger of war. If our squad did not cross the border, at the end all would have been ... In a January 2015 interview for Anna News, Girkin said that in his opinion "Russia is currently at state of war", since the ... According to various sources, Girkin took part in the Bosnian War as a volunteer on the Serb side, and in Chechnya under ...
War. (Válka). Praha: Professional Publishing, 2010. 170 s. ISBN 978-80-7431-029-4 Geopolitika středoevropského prostoru. Pohled ... 175 s. ISBN 978-80-7431-056-0 War. (Válka). Druhé, upravené vydání. Praha: Professional Publishing, 2011. 175 s. ISBN 978-80- ...
Caz is on leave from Palestine and is deeply disillusioned, Tom goes mad during the war, and it is telling that the family ... Most of the characters are employed in the army or the civil service in post-war reconstruction, and its heroine, Celia, works ... The unsustainability of the British Empire and the uncertainty over Britain's post-war role are constant themes, and many of ... It is concerned with personal and political malaise in the immediate post-war period. ...
International Life Assurance Society
First, "war does not necessarily, and as mere matter of law, revoke every agency, and when the agency does not require ... The case has been cited by legal scholars in their discussions of how the law of agency is applied in times of war. It is cited ... He attributed this decline to both the effects of the war and a general public concern about the company's solvency. Within a ... This text also cites the case for non-war-related issues, such as what constitutes payment and the agent's discretion in ...
Sapo, Santana, Malo, War, Tierra, El Chicano and other Chicano 'Latin Rock' groups follow this approach with their fusions of R ... "War, Biography & History". AllMusic. Retrieved August 22, 2020. "Don Tosti, 81; Inspired Latin Music Craze". August 4, 2004. ... In the late 1960s and 1970s, when civil rights and the Vietnam War were compelling issues, young Mexican American proudly ... Punk's critique of the status quo, poverty, sexuality, class inequalities, and war spoke directly to working class East Los ...
The law of war-the law of nations, as applied to a state of war, particularly defining rights and duties of the belligerent ... Crimes of War Education Project. Archived from the original on 2011-11-17. Orend, Brian (2008). "War". The Stanford ... The right of war; those actions that may be done without injustice, in regard to an enemy. Jus bellum dicendi. The right of ... Nabulsi, karma (2011). "Jus ad bellum / Jus in bello". Crimes of War. ...
War! Children! (2019, Krig! Barn!, novel) The Crows (2020, Kråkorna, graphic novel with Peter Bergting) https://frialigan.se/sv ...
Elements found in Parnes' art include: ancient and modern history; mysticism; war; and fashion. He alters the context of the ...
1944 Sun Bowl
"Football! Navy! War!": How Military "Lend-Lease" Players Saved the College Game and Helped Win World War II, p. 168, McFarland ... Southwestern's teams during World War II benefited from the V-12 Navy College Training Program, which gave them access to ...
CIVIL WAR BELIEVED NEAR Rival Threatens Attack Unless Chang Tso-lin Dictatorship Ends Within a Week". The New York Times. 1922- ... On 4 May the Fengtian Army were seriously defeated by the Zhili Army in what came to be known as the First Zhili-Fengtian War. ... At the Tokyo War Crimes Tribunal in 1946, Okada Keisuke testified that Zhang was murdered because the Kwantung Army was ... In the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-05 the Japanese Army employed Zhang and his men as mercenaries. At the end of the Qing ...
Head of War, from SIRIS. Head of War, from Art Institute of Chicago. Chivalry, from SIRIS. Chivalry Archived 2017-12-31 at the ... Facing north is the dark angel of War, "unchanged since war first ravaged the world", who wears a helmet, breastplate and cape ... A courageous Civil War soldier, Pennypacker had been promoted to general at age 22. Grafly's concept was to depict him in the ... "War... holds in his grim clutch two memorial tablets [on which are listed Meade's military battles]. His wings, in long ...
Jones, Wilbur D. (2009). Football! Navy! War!: How Military Lend-lease Players Saved the College Game and Helped Win World War ... He later joined the United States Army Air Forces during World War II and become a Flight Officer stationed in Shamshernagar, ...
History of LGBT characters in animation: 2020s
"War". RWBY. Season 8. Episode 1. December 19, 2020. 9:44 minutes in. Rooster Teeth. Retrieved January 1, 2021. No. Mantle ... "War", the eighth episode of Volume 8 of RWBY. She also said that the amount of support for a trans character like May blows her ...
War. Ukrayinska Pravda. 12 May 2015. Putin's aide Surkov pulled the strings as snipers shot at Maidan protesters - Ukraine's ... Lucas, Edward (2014). The new cold war: Putin's Russia and the threat to the West (3rd ed.). New York: St. Martin's Press. pp. ... "The Kremlin Wars (Special Series), Part 4: Surkov Presses Home". Stratfor. 27 October 2009. Retrieved 11 April 2020. "5 Facts ... "Peter Pomerantsev: Non-Linear War". LRB blog. Retrieved 20 November 2016. "Did Kremlin political chief really write murky ...
During World War II, Crowley served with the United States Navy in the South Pacific. In 1942, he served as the head coach for ... Jones, Wilbur D. (2009). "Football! Navy! War!": How Military "Lend-Lease" Players Saved the College Game and Helped Win World ... War II. Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company. pp. 124-126. ISBN 978-0-7864-4219-5. Retrieved January 16, 2012. Jim Crowley at the ...
War". The explanation by PayPal was that "PayPal does not offer the opportunity to use its system for collecting funds to ... Jackson, Eric M. (2006). The PayPal Wars: Battles with EBay, the Media, the Mafia and the Rest of Planet Earth. WND Books. ISBN ... In February 2011, PayPal unbanned the account of a website that supports Iraq War resisters after it had enough information to ... Chris Barth (August 22, 2012). "Discover And PayPal Join Forces In The War Against Paper Money, Banks". Forbes. Retrieved ...
Geoffrey Studdert Kennedy
War! Lies! And a Packet of Fags! is a play by David Gooderson about the Great War and its aftermath-the story of "Woodbine ... After the war, Studdert Kennedy was given charge of St Edmund, King and Martyr in Lombard Street, London. Having been converted ... On the outbreak of World War I, Studdert Kennedy volunteered as a chaplain to the army on the Western Front, where he gained ... During the war he supported the British military effort with enthusiasm. Attached to a bayonet-training service, chaplain ...
War? Al-Nahr, 1598-1605. BRILL. ISBN 978-9004231870. Archived from the original on 3 September 2017. Retrieved 21 June 2016 - ... Vol II p.31-34 The Origins of the Civil War in Tajikistan: Nationalism, Islamism, and Violent Conflict in Post-Soviet Space, ...
John R. Tunis
War... May Hasten this Change of Values: The World War II-Era Writings of John R. Tunis: Greenwood Publishing Group. ISBN ... One or two, one or two perhaps... but there's plenty of bad parents." World War II was on Tunis' mind while he wrote. In 1946's ... In both these books Tunis returns to a favorite theme noted by Ryan K. Anderson in his survey of Tunis' World War II era ... Tunis considered this second World War II book to be his best work. Horn Book agreed, calling it "his finest novel... With its ...
War - Wikipedia
World War I, World War II, and the Vietnam War. In the 21st century, worldwide anti-war movements occurred in response to the ... War and Peace and War: Life Cycles of Imperial Nations. NY: Pi Press. Van Creveld, Martin. The Art of War: War and Military ... Austro-Hungarian War Aims in the First World War". In Afflerbach, Holger (ed.). The Purpose of the First World War: War Aims ... the most destructive war in modern history may have been the Paraguayan War (see Paraguayan War casualties). In 2013 war ...
War Names | WIRED
Civil war - Wikipedia
A civil war, also known as an intrastate war in polemology, is a war between organized groups within the same state or ... War between organized groups within the same state or country. For specific wars and other uses, see Civil War (disambiguation) ... a b c d Ann Hironaka, Neverending Wars: The International Community, Weak States, and the Perpetuation of Civil War, Harvard ... while a Cold War civil war that attracted superpower intervention resulted in wars typically lasting over three times as long ...
Gulf War lessons
The realities of war are seldom this pretty.. NEW YORK, Jan. 6 The Gulf War is remembered as a walkover by many Americans a ... More serious is the Gulf War Syndrome issue. Soon after the war, U.S. and British troops began complaining of debilitating ... to ensure that some of the worst mistakes of the first Gulf War will not be repeated in a second Iraq war? ... In a 30-day war of the kind being discussed, there will be at least one. That s just the way it is. SCUD HUNTING: The effort to ...
Snake War - Wikipedia
About the war. The Snake War was not defined by one large battle but was a series of guerrilla skirmishes between the ... The Snake War (1864-1868) was an irregular war fought by the United States of America against the "Snake Indians," the settlers ... The Snake War wound down after peace talks between George Crook and Snake chief Weahwewa had taken place. The Snake War has ... Unlike other Indian Wars, the Snake War had few notable leaders on either side. Probably the best-known Indian leader was ...
Kanyarwandan War - Wikipedia
The war led to numerous massacres orchestrated by both sides, but mainly against the Banyarwandans. In 1965, following Mobutu ... The Kanyarwandan War (1963-1966) was a conflict in the northeastern region of Congo-Léopoldville, specifically the newly- ... ISBN 978-1-907431-06-7. Nickerson, Kat (28 May 2012). "First War in the Congo:Tribal Hostilities Reappear". Kats Africa. ... ISBN 978-0-8122-4120-4. Reyntjens, Filip (2009). The Great African War. United States of America: Cambridge University Press. ...
Storm War - Wikipedia
16 @ War - Wikipedia
Afghan War Report Shows Historic Losses, Hides Deaths. The Afghan governments control over the war-torn country has " ... Wars in Iraq, Afghanistan Not For Democracy, Rice Says. "We didnt go to Iraq to bring democracy to Iraq, we went to Iraq to ... Could the U.S. War in Afghanistan Be Privatized?. Blackwater founder Erik Prince believes mercenaries could save the U.S. a ... U.S. Still Losing War in Afghanistan, Hiding More Data. For the first time ever, the Pentagon blocked the release of ...
War Crime Captures | WIRED
NATO Secretary-General Javier Solana said the arrests were intended as a warning to others accused of war crimes - you can run ... NATO forces in Bosnia captured two Bosnian Croat men sought by the international war crimes tribunal. Vlatko Kupreskic, accused ... War Crime Captures. With a hail of bullets this morning, NATO forces in Bosnia captured two Bosnian Croat men sought by the ... NATO Secretary-General Javier Solana said the arrests were intended as a warning to others accused of war crimes - you can run ...
War on Students | HuffPost
... war, they instinctively think of conflict, the battlefield, mayhem and other adjectives used to describe the co... ... And perhaps nobody knows the concept of waging these sorts of wars better than Republicans. As a collective, they have waged ... When most people hear the word war, they instinctively think of conflict, the battlefield, mayhem and other adjectives used ... virtual wars against women, immigrants and progressive groups. Now, in their latest move to reward the rich while punishing ...
BBC - WW2 People's War
Most of the content on this site is created by our users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of any external sites referenced. In the event that you consider anything on this page to be in breach of the sites House Rules, please click here. For any other comments, please Contact Us. ...
War Den Airsoft - YouTube
Check out the action here on you tube and then head out to War Den Airsoft to experience the action! ... War Den Airsoft - Risk Factor VI - Duration: 2 minutes, 25 seconds.. *1,055 views ... Civil War Game (Opening Day 2013) - Duration: 9 minutes, 37 seconds.. *3,864 views ... The Best of War Den Airsoft - Duration: 6 minutes, 19 seconds.. *967 views ...
Proxy War (1973) - IMDb
Proxy War (1973) Jingi naki tatakai: Dairi sensô (original title). Not Rated , 1h 59min , Action, Drama , 25 September 1973 ( ... Katee Sackhoff shares her Watchlist, including Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Too Funny to Fail: The Life and Death of the Dana ... Proxy War is another chapter in the long series of betrayal, scheming and chaos among the rival families of Hiroshima. ... Katee Sackhoff talks with "The IMDb Show" about her characters on "Battlestar Galactica," "Star Wars: Rebels," and "The Flash" ...
Civilization & War Rant | HuffPost
Bush is not responsible for the war in Iraq. Al Gore said during his campaign against Bush II that Bush I should have finished ... War is inherent to civilization; and that is why well have more and more of it, and why it will eventually percolate from the ... Bush is not responsible for the war in Iraq. Al Gore said during his campaign against Bush II that Bush I should have finished ... We know damn well this is true, so we conceal it under pretty abstractions like "free market," and pretend that the wars ...
War Horse (2011) - IMDb
Young Albert enlists to serve in World War I after his beloved horse is sold to the cavalry. Alberts hopeful journey takes him ... out of England and to the front lines as the war rages on. ... that make War Horse really shine.. War Horse does a superb job ... Action , Adventure , Drama , History , War Motion Picture Rating (MPAA) Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of war violence , See ... world war one , horse riding , equestrian , cavalryman , military uniform , See All (80) » ...
Public Health and War
... "modern wars" -- the American Civil War, the Franco-Prussian War and World War I -- military officials and civilian leaders ... After the war, many of the programs introduced during the war were discontinued, in an effort to reduce expenditures to pre-war ... World War II. In the era of total war, the mobilization of science and technology on behalf of the war effort famously bore ... But the World War II-era public health film was not just a military matter. During the war, the quasi-military U.S. Public ...
War Horse Tickets
Purchase War Horse tickets and join the rock stars at what promises to be a thrilling music concert. The event is a treat for ... War Horse Tickets. War Horse Tickets. Theatre fans should know that the much acclaimed War Horse is now on Broadway, in ... Check and order War Horse Tickets as soon as possible. Q:Must i register to get the promo code for war horse toronto from you ... Q:Can I buy war horses tickets at the event?. A:War Horse Tickets can be bought at the event but we cannot assure you if they ...
Mexican Drug War
Unlike the disappeared from Argentinas Dirty War, and other campaigns of state repression in Latin America during the Cold War ... Mexican Drug War. Since 2006, when an operation was launched against the cartels, more than 150,000 civilians, gang members and ... "We would love the police forces to do their job ... but they dont." General Cienfuegos had always opposed the so-called war on ... The main participants in this war are The Sinaloa Cartel, the Gulf Cartel, the Zetas Group, the Beltr n-Leyva Cartel, La ...
Chinese Civil War
During World War II, the United States emerged as a major actor in Chinese affairs. As an ally it embarked in late 1941 on a ... After the war, the Soviet Union, as part of the Yalta agreements allowing a Soviet sphere of influence in Manchuria, ... The civil war, in which the United States aided the Nationalists with massive economic loans but no military support, became ... Chinese Civil War (1927-1949). Between 1921 and 1949 a titanic struggle for control of China occurred in four overlapping ...
Gulf War Fast Facts - CNN
Read CNNs Fast Facts about the 1990-1991 Persian Gulf War, an international conflict codenamed Operation Desert Shield and ... Heres a look at the 1990-1991 Persian Gulf War. In response to Iraqs invasion of Kuwait in August 1990, the United States and ... The US Department of Defense has estimated the incremental costs of the Gulf War at $61 billion, with US allies providing about ... oil-rich nation in order to pay off debts incurred during Iraqs eight year war with Iran. ...
World War I Centenary: Influenza
... a plague was spreading around the globe that would kill many times more people than the Great War. ... World War 1 Centenary. World War I changed everything. From new countries to literature, from tanks to treaties and from ... History is always open to interpretation, but as the war to end all wars retreats from living history, it feels more important ... Thank you for viewing our World War I interactive project. To continue, please follow the link below to sign up, or log in if ...
BBC - WW2 People's War - Timeline
The Womens Land Army (WLA) was established in World War One, but was re-founded shortly before the outbreak of World War Two, ... Declaration of War on Finland, Hungary and Romania Declaration of War on Japan Fall of Hong Kong Fall of Singapore and Malaya ... Formation of the Pacific War Council Channel Dash Battle of Java Sea Bruneval Raid Cripps Mission to India St Nazaire Raid ... Battle of the Atlantic Conscription Introduced Evacuation Declaration of War on Germany Civilian Internment HMS Royal Oak ...
Laos : Secret War Pilots Remembered
To return to "LAOS : The Secret War", click below Please address any comments about this 4 Oct. 1999 document (LAST Up-Dated : ... LAOS : War Pilots Remembered. "Nyob zoo". .....Welcome !. The Royal Laos National Flag, as proudly flown until 1975. LAOS : ... or if those who profit from war even want peace or will ever allow harmony to exist for the peoples of Laos. Will Peace and ... while also possibly setting the stage for a rapidly opening threshold leading into World War Three. Following the daring ...
Libya before the war - Travel
War Horse - CSMonitor.com
Schrodinger's War - Mother Jones
Congress has declared war 11 times in five wars, from the War of 1812 to World War II. (There have been more declarations of ... Were not at war, since the attorney general insists Congress has not declared it. Yet at the same time, we are at war, because ... Does this mean were not really at war? Why was Gonzales so eager to point out the difference between declaring war outright ... "extreme war" or "war-plus." Like most physicists, Erwin Schrödinger was a smart guy, but he never imagined a world in which a ...
Now doctors condemn war
The doctors spokesmen will highlight the death and injury that the war continues to cause, and will stress the need for help ... It is . . . immoral for governments to declare war before all peaceful processes have been truly exhausted, and before there ... but they attack the original decision to support the Americans in going to war. They declare the commitment was immoral, ... and for a war still killing and injuring Iraqis without an end in sight. ...
Answers about Cold War
The nuclear arms race divided the world in a struggle as costly as any another war. East vs. West, Communism vs. Democracy, the ... Start of wars in VietnamBeginnings of Vietnam War You did not indicate which wars you are interested in. The Chinese had ... Cold War. The nuclear arms race divided the world in a struggle as costly as any another war. East vs. West, Communism vs. ... Use of the term started at the end of World War II and continued until the end of the Cold War, which was from about 1945 to ...
Armed conflict20191812Vietnam WarWorld WaMichael MorpurgoAmerica's1945Prisoners of19972020Civil warSteven SpielbergKorean WarFoughtSoldiersCasualtiesGulf War SyndWarfareAfghan19392000United Nations20th centuryArmyVeteransMilitaryKosovoAccused of war crimes19182002Obama'sAttacksAfghanistanTroopsJoeyWartimeFamouslyNation'sCloseBattlefieldsGovernment'sCommitted war crimesSovietAmericansTrumpCaliforniaCivilizationInvolvementPersian GulfCollateral DamageEnemiesEconomistFears of warPractice of warDeclaration ofSyriaBrokeBalkanGuerrillaJapan'sIraq War
- In its Armed Conflict Survey 2017, the International Institute for Strategic Studies reported 09 May 2017 the war in Syria was the world's most lethal conflict for the fifth year in a row. (globalsecurity.org)
- The escalating trade war threatens the unprecedented economic growth the U.S. experienced since 2019 and the global economy at large. (forbes.com)
- Since 1789, Congress has declared war 11 times in five wars, from the War of 1812 to World War II. (motherjones.com)
- In 1807, Algiers declared war on the United States, but the embargo and the War of 1812 kept American shipping out of the Mediterranean. (encyclopedia.com)
- He would nevertheless go on to become a successful lawyer and politician, and later served as a general during the War of 1812, when he famously crushed an advancing British army at 1815's Battle of New Orleans. (history.com)
- Zachary Taylor won the presidency after leading U.S. troops in the Mexican-American War, but it was during the War of 1812 that he first won fame as a soldier. (history.com)
- You have to put the number of friendly casualties in context, says Jack Jacobs, a retired Army colonel who received the Medal of Honor during the Vietnam War. (angelfire.com)
- Test your knowledge of the Vietnam War with this quiz. (britannica.com)
- Everything you need to understand or teach Vietnam War . (bookrags.com)
- Fiction and Memoirs, Vietnam The Vietnam War spawned a large number of informative and artistically successful memoirs and novels. (bookrags.com)
- Approximately 2.5 million Americans served in the Vietnam War, but this figure tells only part of a complex and controversial story. (bookrags.com)
- The Agony of Vietnam The Vietnam War (1954-75) was a war like no other in American history. (bookrags.com)
- At the peak of the Vietnam War, America had over five hundred thousand troops fighting against an estimated ten thousand Viet Cong guerillas. (bookrags.com)
- Prior to the Vietnam War, The United States had never lost a battle. (bookrags.com)
- However, the Vietnam War finished with the North Vi. (bookrags.com)
- The Vietnam war had many wonderful and not so wonderful effects on Australia during the period from 1965 to 1972. (bookrags.com)
- The Vietnam War caused the breakdown of many families and also a breakdown of the Vietnamese culture, which had previously stood strong through many conflicts and occupations. (bookrags.com)
- During the Vietnam war, the brass became distrustful of the press, as candid reporting disclosed the credibility gap between official briefings and events in the field. (csmonitor.com)
- Fifty years ago he returned from the Vietnam War. (france24.com)
- According to Patrick M. Regan in his book Civil Wars and Foreign Powers (2000) about two thirds of the 138 intrastate conflicts between the end of World War II and 2000 saw international intervention, with the United States intervening in 35 of these conflicts. (wikipedia.org)
- Civil wars since the end of World War II have lasted on average just over four years, a dramatic rise from the one-and-a-half-year average of the 1900-1944 period. (wikipedia.org)
- The reality is, it is a lot lower than it would have been for a similar operation in Vietnam or World War II. (angelfire.com)
- The synergistic relationship between health professionals and the military especially flourished during the most massive conflict of all: World War II. (nih.gov)
- Conflict with Japan, which would continue from the 1930s to the end of World War II, was the other force (besides the Communists themselves) that would undermine the Nationalist government. (globalsecurity.org)
- More than half a century after the end of World War II, Japanese war crimes are in the spotlight on both sides of the Pacific. (wsj.com)
- Answer: At the end of World War II, in August 1945, Ho Chi Minh and his Vietnamese guerrilla forces seized much of northern Vietnam, including the city of Hanoi. (britannica.com)
- In World War I, World War II, and the Korean War the American forces prevailed. (bookrags.com)
- Be sure to try new things: Spielberg, with plenty of World War II action ("Schindler's List" and "Saving Private Ryan" among them), gets his first tour of duty in the Great War. (latimes.com)
- Lessons learned from World War II. (google.com)
- And their presence on the battlefield shows that American women didn't just keep the home fires burning in World War II , one of the first major wars in which women actively played a part. (chicagotribune.com)
- Hartrich was attached to the Red Cross clubmobiles, which operated as a sort of backbone to Army units in World War II. (chicagotribune.com)
- Readers of Wings of War who are unfamiliar with Magee s poem should be directed to Linda Granfield s High Flight: A Story of World War II which not only includes the words to the poem but also provides a biography of this young pilot who died at age 19 in an accidental mid-air collision. (umanitoba.ca)
- Under Japanese rule before and during World War II , Korea was divided into two parts after the Japanese surrender. (cnn.com)
- PTSD is the modern equivalent of shell shock (term used in World War I ) and battle fatigue ( World War II ). (encyclopedia.com)
- From James Monroe's Revolutionary War heroics to George H.W. Bush's brush with death during World War II, get the facts on the wartime experiences of seven American chief executives. (history.com)
- Immediately after the outbreak of World War II , when the first Nazi violations of the laws and customs of war as defined by the Hague and Geneva Conventions were revealed (and in particular as they affected the noncombatant population and prisoners of war), the Allies began to publish official notes, warnings, and declarations. (jewishvirtuallibrary.org)
- In early 2010, as Greece slid further into its debt morass, then-Prime Minister George Papandreou, a socialist, said while the issue of German World War II reparations had not been definitively resolved, Athens would not raise it during talks to tackle the country's debt crisis. (yahoo.com)
- Instead he tells his heartwarming story in War Horse by Britain 's former children's laureate Michael Morpurgo . (csmonitor.com)
- The book, published last month and now in its second printing, has sparked an emotional debate among female soldiers, a group that has been largely overlooked in the national reexamination of America's longest and most unpopular war. (washingtonpost.com)
- Pakistan's ability to shape the destiny of America's longest war is a reminder of how much leverage the country maintains at a time Trump is suspending hundreds of millions of dollars in military assistance. (pbs.org)
- Media reports claim President Donald Trump let loose on his generals behind closed doors, blasting them royally for their startling failures in Afghanistan, America's longest war. (com.pk)
- A distinctive feature of war since 1945 is the absence of wars between major powers-indeed the near absence of any traditional wars between established countries. (wikipedia.org)
- Since 1945, civil wars have resulted in the deaths of over 25 million people, as well as the forced displacement of millions more. (wikipedia.org)
-  If one uses the less-stringent 1,000 casualties total criterion, there were over 90 civil wars between 1945 and 2007, with 20 ongoing civil wars as of 2007. (wikipedia.org)
- The final phase, an internal civil war to determine the future of China, occurred between 1945 and 1949. (globalsecurity.org)
- The Chinese Civil War of 1945-1949 continued a struggle that had begun in 1927, when the Chinese government under the leadership of Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek and his ruling Nationalist Kuomintang (KMT) Party tried to exterminate the Chinese Communist Party. (globalsecurity.org)
- At the Yalta Conference in February 1945 , the last attended by Roosevelt, the president advanced the idea that an international tribunal should be convened to try Nazi leaders for planning and waging a war of aggression and for war crimes. (jewishvirtuallibrary.org)
- Scenes from the Korean War - North Korean prisoners of war make baskets on the floor of a storage barn at a prison, circa 1951. (cnn.com)
- After the German invasion of the Soviet Union in June 1941 and the ensuing crimes against the civilian population and prisoners of war, the Soviets also began to publish statements on the subject. (jewishvirtuallibrary.org)
- Based on the 1,000-casualties-per-year criterion, there were 213 civil wars from 1816 to 1997, 104 of which occurred from 1944 to 1997. (wikipedia.org)
- What shipping service will you use to mail my war horse tickets 2020? (excite.com)
- IMF economists estimated that the Sino-American trade war would shave off 0.3% of global GDP in 2020, along with the 0.2% from tariffs imposed last year, and that was before the new tariffs were announced. (forbes.com)
- For specific wars and other uses, see Civil War (disambiguation) and List of civil wars . (wikipedia.org)
- The Battle of Dranesville during the American Civil War . (wikipedia.org)
- German artillery in Malmi during the Battle of Helsinki on 12 April 1918, during the Finnish Civil War . (wikipedia.org)
- The destruction wrought on Granollers after a raid by German aircraft on 31 May 1938 during the Spanish Civil War . (wikipedia.org)
- A civil war , also known as an intrastate war in polemology ,  is a war between organized groups within the same state or country . (wikipedia.org)
- A civil war is a high-intensity conflict, often involving regular armed forces , that is sustained, organized and large-scale. (wikipedia.org)
-  Ann Hironaka further specifies that one side of a civil war is the state . (wikipedia.org)
-  The intensity at which a civil disturbance becomes a civil war is contested by academics. (wikipedia.org)
- Some political scientists define a civil war as having more than 1,000 casualties,  while others further specify that at least 100 must come from each side. (wikipedia.org)
- This rate is a small fraction of the millions killed in the Second Sudanese Civil War and Cambodian Civil War , for example, but excludes several highly publicized conflicts, such as The Troubles of Northern Ireland and the struggle of the African National Congress in Apartheid -era South Africa . (wikipedia.org)
- however, no specific definition of civil war is provided in the text of the Conventions. (wikipedia.org)
- As Federal troops withdrew in 1861 to return east for engagements of the American Civil War , California Volunteers provided protection to the emigrants. (wikipedia.org)
- He had played a significant role for the Union in the Civil War and following his success in ending the Snake War, would lead operations in the Apache Wars . (wikipedia.org)
- Civil War Game (Opening Day 2013) - Duration: 9 minutes, 37 seconds. (youtube.com)
- Starting with the Crimean War, and then the first terrible round of "modern wars" -- the American Civil War, the Franco-Prussian War and World War I -- military officials and civilian leaders called on health professionals and volunteers to help mobilize and protect military forces and civilian populations. (nih.gov)
- COLOMBO, Sri Lanka (AP) - Sri Lanka's prime minister said Wednesday that the government has decided to withdraw from co-sponsorship of a 2015 U.N. Human Rights Council resolution calling for the investigation of allegations of war crimes committed during the island nation's long civil war. (ap.org)
- British landscape photographer Charlie Waite spent three weeks capturing the landscapes and architectural sites of Libya in 2011, returning a day before the onset of the ongoing civil war. (telegraph.co.uk)
- Victims of Colombia's slow-burning but brutal civil war, they had been killed by right-wing death squads and left on roadsides and in ditches around this northern town. (washingtonpost.com)
- Civil war inevitably causes shifts in state boundaries, demographics, systems of rule, and the bases of legitimate authority-many of the markers of national identity. (jhu.edu)
- After Civil War compares reconstruction projects in Bosnia, Cyprus, Finland, Greece, Kosovo, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, Spain, and Turkey in order to explore how former combatants and their supporters learn to coexist as one nation in the aftermath of ethnopolitical or ideological violence. (jhu.edu)
- After Civil War synthesizes research on civil wars, reconstruction, and nationalism to show how national identity is reconstructed over time in different cultural and socioeconomic contexts, in strong nation-states as well as those with a high level of inter-national intervention. (jhu.edu)
- After Civil War thus provides a comprehensive, comparative perspective to a wide span of recent political history, showing postconflict articulations of national identity can emerge in the long run within conducive institutional contexts. (jhu.edu)
- The Finnish civil war broke out at the end of January 1918. (jhu.edu)
- When the leaders of the Irish Free State achieved their civil war victory late in April 1923, they had to consider how to create an identification with the new Irish state. (jhu.edu)
- A significant element of Francoist reconstruction in the aftermath of Spain's civil war was the use of Republican prison labor to repair war-torn buildings and redevelop infrastructural projects such as canals and railways. (jhu.edu)
- Since the 1990s, Western agencies have put considerable effort into peace building after the collapse of communism in Eastern Europe and generally in societies afflicted by civil war, such as Rwanda. (jhu.edu)
- The name Mathew B. Brady is almost a synonym for Civil War photography. (archives.gov)
- Many photographs of the Civil War held by the National Archives are not listed here. (archives.gov)
- Separate inquiries about other Civil War photography should be as specific as possible listing names, places, events, and other details. (archives.gov)
- We have very few portraits of lower ranking individuals and much of our Civil War holdings highlight high-ranking military personnel. (archives.gov)
- Hayes almost lost his arm to the musket ball, but it wasn't the only time the future president was wounded during the Civil War. (history.com)
- A senior adviser on Mello's campaign said having "a candidate that was seen as part of the civil war in the Democratic Party was not helpful to engage new people and turn out voters. (washingtonexaminer.com)
- Please join the Civil War Trust in preserving our threatened Civil War battlefields. (convio.net)
- To make a gift by mail, send your check made out to Civil War Trust to 1140 Professional Court Hagerstown, MD 21740. (convio.net)
- Civil War Trust will never sell or rent your email address to anyone. (convio.net)
- The Civil War is the saga of celebrated generals and ordinary soldiers, a heroic and transcendent president, and a country that had to divide itself in two in order to become one. (apple.com)
- When it reaches the screen as a Steven Spielberg movie, " War Horse " will have real, live animals to represent the 8 million horses that were killed in World War I or sold to French butchers at the end. (variety.com)
- This drama was directed by John Tams, who was nominated for an Olivier Award for his work on the phenomenally successful War Horse stage epic at the National Theatre ('the theatrical event of the decade' - Times) and which also inspired the Steven Spielberg film. (penguin.co.uk)
- His most well-known work, War Horse, was adapted into a multi-Oscar nominated film by Steven Spielberg, and a widely-acclaimed play at the National Theatre. (penguin.co.uk)
- How does the director Steven Spielberg, use film techniques to convey one or more themes in his film, War of the Worlds? (bartleby.com)
- Steven Spielberg utilizes many techniques, in his film, War of the Worlds, including camera work, actors and sound effects to convey various themes such as family relationships. (bartleby.com)
- What caused the Korean War. (answers.com)
- The Korean War was unquestionably began when the Communist-Inspired North invaded the South. (answers.com)
- Scenes from the Korean War - An American soldier comforts a comrade during the Korean War, circa 1950. (cnn.com)
- Click through to see more scenes from the Korean War. (cnn.com)
- Scenes from the Korean War - A woman and child wander among debris in Pyongyang, North Korea, after an air raid by U.S. planes, circa 1950. (cnn.com)
- Scenes from the Korean War - An American soldier walks around the rubble of Hamhung, North Korea, in an undated photo. (cnn.com)
- Scenes from the Korean War - North Korean leader Kim Il-Sung, left, signs a document in Seoul, South Korea, in an undated photo. (cnn.com)
- Scenes from the Korean War - A U.S. Army chaplain prays by injured soldiers at a combat field hospital in August 1950. (cnn.com)
- Scenes from the Korean War - U.S. Marines attack Hagaru-ri, North Korea, in December 1950. (cnn.com)
- Scenes from the Korean War - An abandoned girl cries in the streets of Incheon, South Korea, in September 1950. (cnn.com)
- Scenes from the Korean War - An American soldier searches a foxhole for enemies in February 1951. (cnn.com)
- Scenes from the Korean War - Gen. Douglas MacArthur, center, head of the U.N. Command in the Korean War, and other military personnel observe shelling in Incheon from the USS Mount McKinley in September 1950. (cnn.com)
- Scenes from the Korean War - The 187th U.S. Airborne Regimental Combat Team conducts a practice jump in South Korea, circa 1951. (cnn.com)
- Scenes from the Korean War - Marines use a flamethrower in April 1951. (cnn.com)
- Scenes from the Korean War - The USS Missouri bombards Chongjin, North Korea, circa May 1951. (cnn.com)
- Scenes from the Korean War - U.S. Marines duck for cover in a bunker as a shell explodes in April 1952. (cnn.com)
- Scenes from the Korean War - Actress Marilyn Monroe entertains troops, circa 1952. (cnn.com)
- Scenes from the Korean War - U.S. troops emerge from helicopters onto an open field, circa 1953. (cnn.com)
- Here's a look at the Korean War. (cnn.com)
- The casualty toll had been reported as 54,246 until June 2000, when the Pentagon acknowledged that a clerical error had included deaths outside the Korean War theater in the total. (cnn.com)
- In War Before Civilization, Lawrence H. Keeley, a professor at the University of Illinois, says approximately 90-95% of known societies throughout history engaged in at least occasional warfare, and many fought constantly. (wikipedia.org)
- In 1947, in view of the rapidly increasingly destructive consequences of modern warfare, and with a particular concern for the consequences and costs of the newly developed atom bomb, Albert Einstein famously stated, "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. (wikipedia.org)
- THE GULF WAR of popular memory bears little resemblance to the one fought by the United States and its allies against Iraq, then touted as the fourth-largest army in the world. (angelfire.com)
- The Snake War (1864-1868) was an irregular war fought by the United States of America against the " Snake Indians ," the settlers' term for Northern Paiute , Bannock and Western Shoshone bands who lived along the Snake River . (wikipedia.org)
- This was the basis of the oft-repeated and cliche line of the physicist Albert Einstein, "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. (answers.com)
- Lucas describes the emerging conflict between Russia and the West -- particularly the struggle for hearts, minds, and influence in former Soviet states like Georgia and Ukraine -- as a 'Cold War' -- albeit one fought with 'soft power. (rferl.org)
- Long before he served as the fifth president, a young James Monroe fought in the Revolutionary War as an officer in the Continental Army. (history.com)
- France had also been waging a clandestine war against al-Qaeda affiliates in the Horn of Africa for several years, and French forces fought and died alongside American troops in Afghanistan. (rand.org)
- While also speaking with CNN's Brian Stelter, Zurawik minced no words in describing what Williams did as lying and something that is grounds for his dismissal from his positions at NBC after having insulted the "millions of military families in this country who suffer everyday diminished lives by the injuries and the wounds that people who fought honorably in those wars suffered. (newsbusters.org)
- This is, essentially, a war that is partly being fought one mile beneath the surface of the Gulf, where crude oil continues to gush out of the highly pressurized "Macondo" deposit - which carries the name of the fictional town in Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez's magical-realist masterpiece, "One Hundred Years of Solitude" - at a calamitous rate. (truthout.org)
- The trenches of World War I-where millions of soldiers mingled in cramped, filthy conditions, and were exposed to gunfire, harsh winters and poisonous gasses-are said by experts to have provided a fertile breeding ground for the disease. (wsj.com)
- Gulf War syndrome describes a wide spectrum of illnesses and symptoms ranging from asthma to sexual dysfunction that have been reported by U.S. and U.S. allied soldiers who served in the Persian Gulf War in 1990 - 91. (encyclopedia.com)
- The experimental drug was given to U.S. and Canadian troops during the war to protect soldiers against the effects of the chemical nerve agent soman. (encyclopedia.com)
- Off to War: Voices of Soldiers Children. (umanitoba.ca)
- As the subtitle of Deborah Elllis s Off to War indicates, this book allows the children of soldiers to share a variety of impacts on their lives which have been brought about by their parents military deployment principally in Iraq or Afghanistan. (umanitoba.ca)
- The attacks of 2015 brought war home, not just because of the carnage on French soil, but because the government deployed, as part of Operation Sentinelle, roughly 10,000 soldiers charged with protecting "sensitive" places including airports and tourist attractions, kosher restaurants, and synagogues. (rand.org)
- The idea of protecting the soldiers as well as the necessity to have vehicles that can do more damage to the enemies in warfare and the development of industrial technologies made war tanks possible. (bartleby.com)
- Total war is warfare that is not restricted to purely legitimate military targets, and can result in massive civilian or other non-combatant suffering and casualties. (wikipedia.org)
- An unfavorable review of this estimate mentions the following regarding one of the proponents of this estimate: "In addition, perhaps feeling that the war casualties figure was improbably high, he changed 'approximately 3,640,000,000 human beings have been killed by war or the diseases produced by war' to 'approximately 1,240,000,000 human beings. (wikipedia.org)
- Civil wars may result in large numbers of casualties and the consumption of significant resources. (wikipedia.org)
-  The Correlates of War , a dataset widely used by scholars of conflict, classifies civil wars as having over 1000 war-related casualties per year of conflict. (wikipedia.org)
Gulf War Synd4
- And miscalculations about the effects of vaccines, the vindictiveness of Iraq s occupying forces and the Iraqi Republican Guard s determination to survive also had serious consequences: Gulf War Syndrome, the world s largest ever oil spill and a failure to defang Saddam s army when the chance arose. (angelfire.com)
- Despite this investment, and the data collected from over 100,000 veterans who have registered with the Department of Defense and/or Veterans Administration as having Gulf War-related illnesses, there is still much debate over the cause and nature of Gulf War Syndrome. (encyclopedia.com)
- There is much current debate over a possible causative agent for Gulf War Syndrome other than the stress of warfare. (encyclopedia.com)
- In October 1999, the U.S. Pentagon released a report that hypothesized that an experimental drug known as pyriostigmine bromide, or PB, might be linked to the physical symptoms manifested in Gulf War Syndrome. (encyclopedia.com)
- Warfare refers to the common activities and characteristics of types of war, or of wars in general. (wikipedia.org)
- War Den Airsoft 2.0 - DRONE WARFARE - Duration: 69 seconds. (youtube.com)
- War Rock is a fast-paced, large-scale multiplayer first person shooter that combines old-school tactical combat with explosive vehicular warfare. (steampowered.com)
- They became very important in warfare, especially during the Second World War and they are still important in modern warfare. (bartleby.com)
- These massive destructions were as partly as a result of the introduction of new war weapons, for example, machine guns and gas warfare. (bartleby.com)
- The Afghan government's control over the war-torn country has "deteriorated," but the U.S. refuses to show how badly local forces have suffered. (newsweek.com)
- War is a reality of life in Afghanistan, but it's not all-consuming, say a delegation of Afghan women leaders who recently visited Washington. (pbs.org)
- But he was absolutely right to read the riot act to the military brass for daring to ask for a very large troop and budget increase for the stalemated Afghan War that has cost $1 trillion to date. (com.pk)
- The truth is, simply, that America blundered into the Afghan War under President George W Bush who needed a target for revenge after the humiliating 9/11 attacks. (com.pk)
- Now, hard right Republicans are pushing a daft proposal to contract the Afghan War to a US-paid mercenary army led by an imperial viceroy in Kabul. (com.pk)
- He pronounced his Afghan War unwinnable, told his angry generals to shut up, and ordered the Red Army out of the war in Afghanistan. (com.pk)
- The Women's Land Army (WLA) was established in World War One, but was re-founded shortly before the outbreak of World War Two, in June 1939, to provide extra agricultural labour. (bbc.co.uk)
- The book is about the impact of war at sea on climate, which showed dramatic effects soon after naval war commenced on 1st September 1939. (trafford.com)
- Although there have been occasional exchanges of gunfire ever since a two-year border war ended with a peace deal in 2000, these are the first involved heavy artillery and masses of troops. (generationaldynamics.com)
- UNITED NATIONS (AP) - The U.N. Security Council on Monday strongly condemned violations of human rights and international humanitarian law in the Central African Republic and warned that attacks on United Nations peacekeepers there may constitute war crimes. (ap.org)
- The first war in which the United Nations played a role. (cnn.com)
- It was Ramush Haradinaj, an ethnic Albanian and guerrilla commander in the Kosovo war, who the previous day, after three years of process, had been acquitted of war crimes at the United Nations tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, in The Hague. (vanityfair.com)
- Watch a clip from the film 'World War Z.' United Nations employee Gerry Lane (Brad Pitt) traverses the world to stop the Zombie pandemic that is toppling armies and governments, and threatening to destroy humanity itself. (wsj.com)
- The first international body to make preparations for punishment of the criminals was the United Nations War Crimes Commission (UNWCC). (jewishvirtuallibrary.org)
- According to Conway W. Henderson, "One source claims that 14,500 wars have taken place between 3500 BC and the late 20th century, costing 3.5 billion lives, leaving only 300 years of peace (Beer 1981: 20). (wikipedia.org)
- Added to the aforementioned figure of 1,240 million between 3500 BC and the late 20th century, this would mean a total of 1,640,000,000 people killed by war (including deaths from famine and disease caused by war) throughout the history and pre-history of mankind. (wikipedia.org)
- During the 20th century, war resulted in a dramatic intensification of the pace of social changes, and was a crucial catalyst for the emergence of the political Left as a force to be reckoned with. (wikipedia.org)
- For example, there were no more than five civil wars underway simultaneously in the first half of the 20th century while there were over 20 concurrent civil wars close to the end of the Cold War . (wikipedia.org)
- NEW YORK, Jan. 6 The Gulf War is remembered as a walkover by many Americans a late 20th-century blitzkrieg. (angelfire.com)
- By the end of the war, media-savvy U.S. military spokesmen were deriding the Iraqi forces as the second-largest army in Iraq. (angelfire.com)
- Colin Powell, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in the first war and now secretary of state, concluded in his 1995 biography that even though Saddam Hussein remained in power, the remaining Iraqi army is hardly a force with a will to fight to the death. (angelfire.com)
- From 1858 at the end of the Spokane-Coeur d'Alene-Paloos War , the US Army protected the migration to Oregon by sending out escorts each spring. (wikipedia.org)
- Probably the best-known Indian leader was Pahninee aka Chief Paulina  and the most well-known U.S. Army commander of the Snake War was George Crook . (wikipedia.org)
- The regular US Army called the period of their involvement in the Snake War, the Campaign against Indians, Oregon, Idaho, and California (1865-1868) . (wikipedia.org)
- PARIS (AP) - The one-time spokesman for the notorious Syrian rebel faction the Army of Islam , who was arrested in southern France last week and charged with torture and war crimes, arrived in the country on a short-term visa, the French Foreign Ministry said Thursday. (ap.org)
- Set in parts of France and England during the World War I days, it revolves around the story of a little boy, Albert and his beloved horse, Joey, who is sold to the army and sent to France to fight in the war. (excite.com)
- A high-ranking official of the Veterans Administration claims Van Devanter's explicit portrayal of wartime relationships--including a long affair with a married surgeon--the use of profanity, the heavy drinking and drug use she describes, as well as her post-war breakdown cast "the entire Army nurse corps in a disparaging light. (washingtonpost.com)
- The scene had been repeated across Colombia for a generation, as illegal paramilitary gunmen, often working closely with army units, killed thousands of people in their war against leftist insurgencies and, in most cases, disposed of them in shallow, unmarked graves. (washingtonpost.com)
- The war began on June 25, 1950, when the North Korean People's Army crossed the 38th parallel and easily overwhelmed South Korean forces in a surprise attack. (cnn.com)
- Similar experiences among Gulf War veterans have been reported in the United Kingdom and Canada . (encyclopedia.com)
- It encompasses most of the psychological symptoms of war veterans, not excluding nightmares, panic at sudden loud noises, and inability to adjust to peacetime living. (encyclopedia.com)
- One study comparing unexplained symptoms in Gulf War veterans with symptoms in control subjects found that over half the veterans with unexplained muscle pain met the criteria for fibromyalgia, and a significant portion of the veterans with unexplained fatigue met the criteria for chronic fatigue syndrome . (encyclopedia.com)
- As of 2001, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), which is also known as Lou Gehrig 's disease , has been added to the list of illnesses that occur more frequently in veterans of the Gulf War. (encyclopedia.com)
- Gulf War veterans are twice as likely as other veterans to develop ALS, which is a disease that causes wasting of muscle tissue and kills its victims within three to five years. (encyclopedia.com)
- Researchers have identified three distinct syndromes and several variations in Gulf War veterans. (encyclopedia.com)
- A vast quantity of meticulous historical research, as well as interviews with the last surviving veterans, underpins this lively history of the Boer War (1899 - 1902). (google.com)
- In 1993, John Keegan, the world s pre-eminent military historian, called the war a triumph of incisive planning and almost faultless execution. (angelfire.com)
- But the Gulf War spawned in each branch of the U.S. military a serious round of soul-searching about mistakes that had cost lives - its own and those of Iraqi non-combatants. (angelfire.com)
- In interviews with a range of officers and military analysts, MSNBC.com asked a simple question: What were the biggest tactical mistakes and lessons of the Gulf War, and what has been done to fix them? (angelfire.com)
- But the war also invigorated and shaped a variety of technological approaches to public health - the development of chemical pesticides to kill mosquitoes and other insect disease vectors, the expansion of electronic communication networks for public health surveillance, and the production of public health films aimed at mass audiences of military personnel and civilians. (nih.gov)
- THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) - Ratko Mladic, the military chief known as the "Butcher of Bosnia" for orchestrating genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes in the Balkan nation's 1992-95 war, lost his final legal battle Tuesday when U.N. judges rejected his appeals and affirmed. (ap.org)
- SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina (AP) - Fikret Grabovica wants to see at least some remorse from wartime Bosnian Serb military commander Ratko Mladic when U.N. judges deliver their final verdict for genocide and other war crimes committed during Bosnia's 1990s ethnic carnage. (ap.org)
- When questioned about anything from military tribunals to domestic surveillance to huge budget deficits, his administration has a stock response: "We're at war. (motherjones.com)
- And the National Security Strategy-the preeminent statement of American military doctrine-states bluntly, "America is at war. (motherjones.com)
- Why was Gonzales so eager to point out the difference between declaring war outright and authorizing the use of military force? (motherjones.com)
- However, Congress has often passed authorizations to use military force, or AUMFs (onomatopoetically pronounced "oomphs"), giving the executive branch permission to send troops to battle without a full declaration of war. (motherjones.com)
- Congress defines a prisoner of war as a person who, while serving on active military, naval, or air service, is forcibly detained or interned in the line of duty by an enemy government or a hostile force. (infoplease.com)
- To my mind, Cold War conjures up a competition that has a military-security component, a political component, an economic component, an ideological component. (rferl.org)
- I'm still afraid of the military, and I hate war. (newsweek.com)
- 1 The military operations of the opposing camps, the Socialists and the bourgeois groups, escalated into a war but were launched in different localities. (jhu.edu)
- Historically, however, some military restraint on war coverage has been for political reasons or to avoid embarrassment over mistakes. (csmonitor.com)
- They fear that the same sort of divisions among western governments that put off decisive action in Bosnia's war for so long will lead to similar prevarication in Kosovo. (economist.com)
Accused of war crimes1
- NATO Secretary-General Javier Solana said the arrests were intended as a warning to others accused of war crimes - you can run, but you can't hide. (wired.com)
- As the armistice of November 1918 approached, a plague was spreading around the globe that would kill many times more people than the Great War. (wsj.com)
- The story of a farm horse sold from Devon into the mire, wire and machine guns of the Great War of 1914-1918 brings together a stellar cast, including Timothy Spall, Brenda Blethyn and Bob Hoskins, with music and songs from some of the UK's finest folk musicians. (penguin.co.uk)
- The lower figure is more plausible, but could still be on the high side considering that the 100 deadliest acts of mass violence between 480 BC and 2002 AD (wars and other man-made disasters with at least 300,000 and up to 66 million victims) claimed about 455 million human lives in total. (wikipedia.org)
- It is Obama's war. (rand.org)
- Which is why we've devoted this, our third annual War Issue, to the question of Barack Obama's Secret Wars. (foreignpolicy.com)
- In a conversation on Twitter with Fox News Channel (FNC) contributor Richard Grenell, Boston Globe reporter Bryan Bender continued the media's double standard of slamming then-President George W. Bush's international coalition for the Iraq War and President Obama's current coalition for fighting the Islamic terrorist group ISIS. (newsbusters.org)
- However, the Iraq War "stretched its shadow over the span of 10 long years, and the press sprung into action" against U.S. president Barack Obama's strategy to punish Syrian president Bashar el-Assad for allegedly using chemical weapons on his own people. (newsbusters.org)
- Disputes over the effectiveness of attacks on Iraqi divisions bedeviled air war commanders. (angelfire.com)
- Similar attacks and retaliations took place in the years leading up to the Snake War. (wikipedia.org)
- FORT MEADE, Md. (AP) - A former CIA contractor who helped design a harsh interrogation program following the the Sept. 11 attacks sought Friday to minimize the severity of techniques used on the men facing war crimes charges for their alleged roles in the plot. (ap.org)
- For the French, the shock of the terrorist attacks of 2015 came not just from the horror of the events but also from the realization that their nation was indeed, as then-President François Hollande told them, at war with ISIL. (rand.org)
- The release of the report in Washington was accompanied by data indicating that terrorist acts have increased since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and the advent of the war on terrorism. (reason.com)
- On her eponymous CNN show on Thursday night, Christiane Amanpour verbally harassed former U.K. Prime Minister Tony Blair over his involvement in the Iraq War and specifically whether he and former U.S. President George W. Bush "feel pain" and "a sense of responsibility" for the war having supposedly caused recent Islamic terror attacks in Paris and San Bernardino. (newsbusters.org)
- Democratic strategist and CNN contributor Paul Begala became unhinged, resorting to personal attacks on Cheney in response to his explanations of the Iraq war. (newsbusters.org)
- Combat Obscura," a new documentary by Marine Corps veteran Miles Lagoze, counters the easy media narratives from the Afghanistan War. (newsweek.com)
- Could the U.S. War in Afghanistan Be Privatized? (newsweek.com)
- Russia and the Taliban Islamist militant group are both separately demanding that the U.S. leave Afghanistan after nearly 16 years of war. (newsweek.com)
- Statistics have led to fears that we are now starting to see the true cost of the Afghanistan and Iraq wars. (newsweek.com)
- Strikingly, the United States under its Nobel Peace Prize-winning president has been pursuing war itself by other means over the last few years, a campaign that has blurred the lines of legality and lethality, technology and weaponry, as it has spread from Afghanistan to an ever-widening swath of the planet. (foreignpolicy.com)
- Would U.S. troops still be in Saudi Arabia today the main issue animating al-Qaida if Washington had supported the anti-Saddam uprisings by Iraqi Kurds and Shiites that followed the war? (angelfire.com)
- Many of the U.S. troops fighting in the beginning of the war were volunteer regiments from the states of Oregon and California and from Washington Territory . (wikipedia.org)
- The advent of modern transportation aided its spread, and those troops are believed to have carried the virus with them as they demobilized at the end of the war, sparing no continent from its effects. (wsj.com)
- The doctors do not call for Australian troops to be pulled out - as Labor promises - but they attack the original decision to support the Americans in going to war. (theage.com.au)
- On the outbreak of the First World War, Albert's beloved horse 'Joey' is sold to the Cavalry by his Father. (imdb.com)
- After being sent to France, in a bid to survive, Joey has an unexpected journey across war torn Europe. (imdb.com)
- No one who sees the National Theater of Great Britain's haunting stage version of Michael Morpurgo's children's novel about a 16-year-old farmboy who follows his beloved horse into war will ever forget Joey -- a puppet fabricated of wood and mesh and metal and manipulated by three human puppeteers, but so full of life you'd swear he had a soul. (variety.com)
- Joey, a war horse, can communicate. (csmonitor.com)
- They see the memorial, which honors Japan's 2.6 million war dead and also enshrines war criminals like wartime Prime Minister Hideki Tojo, as a symbol of militarism and. (wsj.com)
- In the era of total war, the mobilization of science and technology on behalf of the war effort famously bore fruit in the development of antibiotics, radar, and the atomic bomb. (nih.gov)
- Fifty-six of the nation's most eminent doctors will today drag Iraq back onto the election stage with an open letter accusing the Government of taking Australia to war on 'false and misleading' grounds. (theage.com.au)
- And turning elections into culture war battlefields certainly seems to have worked in the past for them. (motherjones.com)
- He had been an influential powerbroker in New York City when President Nixon appointed him to the chairmanship of the President's Cancer Panel, which initiated the federal government's "War on Cancer. (jhu.edu)
Committed war crimes1
- GENEVA (AP) - The top U.N. human rights body on Thursday passed a resolution aimed to intensify scrutiny of Israel's treatment of Palestinians, after the U.N. rights chief said Israeli forces may have committed war crimes and faulted the militant group Hamas for violations of international. (ap.org)
- Soviet Russia and the United States were responsible for elevating the status of the conflict into a multi-national war. (answers.com)
- Yevgeny Yevtushenko, the poet, and other Russians decry a wave of recent American movies as crude Soviet-bashing propaganda, even ''war-nography. (nytimes.com)
- Another important step toward this objective was the publication of the Moscow Declaration of November 1, 1943 , in which the three principal powers, Britain, the United States, and the Soviet Union, solemnly committed themselves to the punishment of those responsible for war crimes . (jewishvirtuallibrary.org)
- My solution to the 17-year war: emulate the example of the courageous Soviet leader, Mikhail Gorbachev. (com.pk)
- The Cold War, where conflict was between go-betweens on each side: for example, South Korea vs. North Korea or South Vietnam vs. North Vietnam, were pitched battles between logistics of the Americans and logistics of the Soviets. (answers.com)
- Question: What event of the war caused many Americans to realize that, contrary to what they had been told, victory was not near? (britannica.com)
- Trump has proposed pressuring Pakistan, India and China to end the war. (com.pk)
- The Snake War was not defined by one large battle but was a series of guerrilla skirmishes between the Indians and American patrols from many small camps, taking place across California, Utah, Nevada, Oregon, and Idaho. (wikipedia.org)
- Civilization cannot exist in the absence of war, because civilization is itself inherently exploitative. (huffingtonpost.com)
- We know damn well this is true, so we conceal it under pretty abstractions like "free market," and pretend that the wars required to maintain the power of the powerful are moral failures, anomalies within civilization instead of something as intrinsic as long ears on a rabbit. (huffingtonpost.com)
- The Tet Offensive broke that illusion, and American public support for U.S. involvement in the war dropped. (britannica.com)
- IF war breaks out in the Persian Gulf, how comprehensive and reliable will be the press coverage that makes its way back to the home front? (csmonitor.com)
- From drones that rain death down on Pakistan's tribal areas to the collateral damage of a "war on terror" that's still not over in the Horn of Africa, we may all come to look back on the Obama years as a definitive chapter in the spread of this new way of war. (foreignpolicy.com)
- When the world's two largest economies go head to head in a trade war, collateral damage is a certainty. (forbes.com)
- Appearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee in February, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales was quick to correct Senator Sam Brownback (R-Kan.) when he said Congress had officially declared war on its enemies. (motherjones.com)
- Not only did it mark a new low, but the trajectory is very ominous,' says Edward Lucas, deputy international editor of the British weekly 'The Economist' and author of the forthcoming book, 'The New Cold War: How the Kremlin Menaces Both Russia and the West. (rferl.org)
Fears of war1
- combined with all the factors of arms races, nuclear fears of war. (answers.com)
Practice of war2
- Gen. Vincent Desportes and Col. Michel Goya draw on careers focused on the study and practice of war and share a grimmer and more Hobbesian vision than what one normally encounters in French public debates. (rand.org)
- Both documents are available on my website at www.kovsky.com To summarize the legal position: Elizabeth is maintaining a religious practice of war tax resistance similar to practices that have been carried on by many persons for many years. (forbes.com)
- He reiterated this distinction when he went before the committee again in July, reminding the senators, "There's been no declaration of war. (motherjones.com)
- Its last official declaration of war was against Axis-allied Romania in June 1942. (motherjones.com)
- While an AUMF falls somewhere short of an official declaration of war, it's generally agreed it's not much short. (motherjones.com)
- If there had been a declaration of war, then the administration would have violated the FISA spying limit by a factor of 100. (motherjones.com)
- In the past, the argument over AUMFs had two sides: those who believed the authorizations gave the executive branch significantly less power than a declaration of war, and those who claimed they gave the executive branch almost the same power. (motherjones.com)
- But following the NSA revelations, the Justice Department changed its tack, issuing a white paper that claimed that the September 2001 AUMF actually gave the president more power than a formal declaration of war. (motherjones.com)
- When the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in December 1941, a full 11 months before the 1942 midterm elections, President Franklin Roosevelt was able to go to Congress the very next day and obtain a declaration of war. (rand.org)
- Turkey on July 24 vowed to press on with operations against Islamic State (IS) in Syria and other militant groups, after its war planes bombed the jihadists' positions for the first time. (foreignpolicy.com)
- The government feared that if war broke out there would be food shortages. (bbc.co.uk)
- As the death toll mounts and Kosovo's Albanians head over the mountains to Albania proper for more guns, it is becoming harder to deny the obvious: another Balkan war, albeit so far at a low level, has begun. (economist.com)
- Rejecting the pacifism of Ibrahim Rugova, leader of the ethnic Albanians' main political party, the KLA has engaged in a hit-and-run guerrilla war. (economist.com)
- The moment the war ended, the government began censoring books, shredding files and otherwise conspiring to whitewash Japan's bloodiest secrets. (newsweek.com)
- The Picture Album of the Holy War," on a table in the gallery, glorifies Japan's invasion of China. (newsweek.com)
- Academic interest has surged in recent years, making war art a hot subject at Japan's elite schools. (newsweek.com)
- It was just me exclusively studying this five years ago," says Akihiko Kawata, a 33-year-old lecturer who teaches Japan's first course on war art at Waseda University in Tokyo. (newsweek.com)
- His collection, garnered from used-book stores, includes about 90 percent of all war-related articles published before Japan's surrender. (newsweek.com)
- Japan's national museum has kept 153 war paintings in storage. (newsweek.com)
- What new tactics, technologies and procedures are in place today to ensure that some of the worst mistakes of the first Gulf War will not be repeated in a second Iraq war? (angelfire.com)
- In today's culture, our film critic Bernard Besserglik talks about Iraq war movies like 'The Hurt Locker' and 'The Green Zone' and tells us the recipe for a successful war movie. (france24.com)