Advertising as Topic
Conflict of Interest
A situation in which an individual might benefit personally from official or professional actions. It includes a conflict between a person's private interests and official responsibilities in a position of trust. The term is not restricted to government officials. The concept refers both to actual conflict of interest and the appearance or perception of conflict.
Tobacco Use Disorder
The interchange of goods or commodities, especially on a large scale, between different countries or between populations within the same country. It includes trade (the buying, selling, or exchanging of commodities, whether wholesale or retail) and business (the purchase and sale of goods to make a profit). (From Random House Unabridged Dictionary, 2d ed, p411, p2005 & p283)
Tobacco Mosaic Virus
A course or method of action selected, usually by an organization, institution, university, society, etc., from among alternatives to guide and determine present and future decisions and positions on matters of public interest or social concern. It does not include internal policy relating to organization and administration within the corporate body, for which ORGANIZATION AND ADMINISTRATION is available.
Social Control Policies
Motion Pictures as Topic
Product Line Management
Legislation as Topic
Marketing of Health Services
Public Health Practice
Use of marketing principles also used to sell products to consumers to promote ideas, attitudes and behaviors. Design and use of programs seeking to increase the acceptance of a social idea or practice by target groups, not for the benefit of the marketer, but to benefit the target audience and the general society.
Extraction and Processing Industry
Critical and exhaustive investigation or experimentation, having for its aim the discovery of new facts and their correct interpretation, the revision of accepted conclusions, theories, or laws in the light of newly discovered facts, or the practical application of such new or revised conclusions, theories, or laws. (Webster, 3d ed)
Health Care Coalitions
Codes of Ethics
Facility Regulation and Control
Congresses as Topic
The process of bargaining in order to arrive at an agreement or compromise on a matter of importance to the parties involved. It also applies to the hearing and determination of a case by a third party chosen by the parties in controversy, as well as the interposing of a third party to reconcile the parties in controversy.
World Health Organization
Plants, Genetically Modified
The maintenance of certain aspects of the environment within a defined space to facilitate the function of that space; aspects controlled include air temperature and motion, radiant heat level, moisture, and concentration of pollutants such as dust, microorganisms, and gases. (McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, 4th ed)
United States Environmental Protection Agency
Decline in cigarette consumption following implementation of a comprehensive tobacco prevention and education program--Oregon, 1996-1998. (1/764)In November 1996, residents of Oregon approved a ballot measure increasing the cigarette tax by 30 cents (to 68 cents per pack). The measure stipulated that 10% of the additional tax revenue be allocated to the Oregon Health Division (OHD) to develop and implement a tobacco-use prevention program. In 1997, OHD created Oregon's Tobacco Prevention and Education Program (TPEP), a comprehensive, community-based program modeled on the successful tobacco-use prevention programs in California and Massachusetts. To assess the effects of the tax increase and TPEP in Oregon, OHD evaluated data on the number of packs of cigarettes taxed before (1993-1996) and after (1997-1998) the ballot initiative and implementation of the program. Oregon's results also were compared with national data. This report summarizes the results of the analysis, which indicate that consumption of cigarettes in Oregon declined substantially after implementation of the excise tax and TPEP and exceeded the national rate of decline. (+info)
Settling for less? Tobacco industry. (2/764)In November 1998, a coalition of state negotiators and five tobacco companies reached an agreement in which the cigarette makers would pay out the biggest financial settlement in history, $206 billion over the next 25 years to 46 states, to compensate for the medical treatment of patients suffering from tobacco-related health problems. Critics of the settlement say the tobacco companies are getting off the hook too easily, and that the deal's public health provisions are unacceptably riddled with loopholes. But the attorneys general who negotiated the settlement defended it as a good deal-but clearly not as a panacea. Ultimately, they feel, Congress should pass legislation to provide essential reforms, including full Food and Drug Administration authority over tobacco. (+info)
Turning over a new leaf. Tobacco. (3/764)Anticipating a diminishing market for cigarettes and other tobacco products in the future, researchers around the country are studying alternative uses for tobacco plants. The most promising field of research for tobacco involves the genetic engineering of tobacco plants to produce various substances such as industrial chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and consumer product ingredients. Tobacco has been called the "fruit fly of the plant kingdom" because of the ease with which it can be genetically engineered. There are countless possibilities for the use of tobacco, but current efforts are concentrating on engineering tobacco to produce vaccines, human enzymes, and plastics. Tobacco researchers have been successful in expressing bovine lysozyme, an enzyme with antibacterial properties, and insulin. (+info)
Tobacco control advocates must demand high-quality media campaigns: the California experience. (4/764)OBJECTIVE: To document efforts on the part of public officials in California to soften the media campaign's attack on the tobacco industry and to analyse strategies to counter those efforts on the part of tobacco control advocates. METHODS: Data were gathered from interviews with programme participants, direct observation, written materials, and media stories. In addition, internal documents were released by the state's Department of Health Services in response to requests made under the California Public Records Act by Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights. Finally, a draft of the paper was circulated to 11 key players for their comments. RESULTS: In 1988 california voters enacted Proposition 99, an initiative that raised the tobacco tax by $0.25 and allocated 20% of the revenues to anti-tobacco education. A media campaign, which was part of the education programme, directly attacked the tobacco industry, exposing the media campaign to politically based efforts to shut it down or soften it. Through use of outsider strategies such as advertising, press conferences, and public meetings, programme advocates were able to counter the efforts to soften the campaign. CONCLUSION: Anti-tobacco media campaigns that expose industry manipulation are a key component of an effective tobacco control programme. The effectiveness of these campaigns, however, makes them a target for elimination by the tobacco industry. The experience from California demonstrates the need for continuing, aggressive intervention by nongovernmental organisations in order to maintain the quality of anti-tobacco media campaigns. (+info)
Features of sales promotion in cigarette magazine advertisements, 1980-1993: an analysis of youth exposure in the United States. (5/764)OBJECTIVE: To examine the presence of features of sales promotion in cigarette advertising in United States magazines, and to describe trends in youth (ages 12-17) exposure to such advertising (termed "promotional advertising"). DESIGN: Analysis of 1980-1993 annual data on: (a) total pages and expenditures for "promotional advertising" (advertising that contains features of sales promotion) in 36 popular magazines (all magazines for which data were available), by cigarette brand; and (b) readership characteristics for each magazine. We defined promotional advertising as advertisements that go beyond the simple advertising of the product and its features to include one or more features of sales promotion, such as coupons, "retail value added" promotions, contests, sweepstakes, catalogues, specialty item distribution, and sponsorship of public entertainment or sporting events. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Total pages of, and expenditures for promotional advertising in magazines; and gross impressions (number of readers multiplied by the number of pages of promotional advertising) among youth and total readership. RESULTS: During the period 1980-1993, tobacco companies spent $90.2 million on promotional advertising in the 36 magazines. The proportion of promotional advertising appearing in "youth" magazines (defined as magazines with a greater than average proportion of youth readers) increased from 7% in 1980 to nearly 100% in 1987. Although youth readers represented only 19% of magazine readers, the proportion of youth gross impressions to total gross impressions of tobacco promotional advertising exceeded this value throughout the entire period 1985-1993, peaking at 33% in 1987. The five "youth" cigarette brands (defined as brands smoked by at least 2.5% of smokers aged 10-15 years in 1993) accounted for 59% of promotional advertising in all magazines, but for 83% of promotional advertising in youth magazines during the study period. CONCLUSIONS: In their magazine advertising, cigarette companies are preferentially exposing young people to advertisements that contain sales promotional features. (+info)
Sharing the blame: smoking experimentation and future smoking-attributable mortality due to Joe Camel and Marlboro advertising and promotions. (6/764)BACKGROUND: Despite public denials, internal tobacco company documents indicate that adolescents have long been the target of cigarette advertising and promotional activities. Recent longitudinal evidence suggests that 34% of new experimentation occurs because of advertising and promotions. OBJECTIVE: To apportion responsibility for smoking experimentation and future smoking-attributable mortality among major cigarette brands attractive to young people (Camel and Marlboro). DATA SOURCES, SETTING, AND PARTICIPANTS: Data were from confirmed never-smoking adolescents (12-17 years old) responding to the 1993 (n = 2659) and 1996 (n = 2779) population-based California Tobacco Surveys. MAIN OUTCOMES: Adolescents named the brand of their favourite cigarette advertisements and tobacco promotional items. Using these "market shares" and the relative importance of advertising and promotions in encouraging smoking, we estimated how many new experimenters from 1988 to 1998 in the United States can be attributed to Camel and Marlboro. From other data on the natural history of smoking, we projected how many future deaths in the United States can be attributed to each brand. RESULTS: Although Camel advertisements were favoured more than Marlboro and other brands in 1993 and 1996, the "market share" for promotional items shifted markedly during this period from Camel and other brands towards Marlboro. We estimated that between 1988 and 1998, there will be 7.9 million new experimenters because of tobacco advertising and promotions. This will result in 4.7 million new established smokers: 2.1, 1.2, and 1.4 million due to Camel, Marlboro, and other brands' advertising and promotions, respectively. Of these, 1.2 million will eventually die from smoking-attributable diseases: 520,000 from Camel, 300,000 from Marlboro, and the remainder from other brands. CONCLUSIONS: Our analysis provides a reasonable first estimate at sharing the blame for the long-term health consequences of smoking among the major brands that encourage adolescents to start smoking. (+info)
Consensus for tobacco policy among former state legislators using the policy Delphi method. (7/764)OBJECTIVE: To test a novel approach for building consensus about tobacco control policies among legislators. DESIGN: A pilot study was conducted using a two-round, face-to-face policy Delphi method. PARTICIPANTS: Randomly selected sample of 30 former Kentucky legislators (60% participation rate). MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE: Consensus on tobacco control and tobacco farming policies. RESULTS: Former state legislators were more supportive of tobacco control policies than expected, and highly supportive of lessening the state's dependence on tobacco. Former state legislators were in agreement with 43% of the second-round items for which there was no agreement at the first round, demonstrating a striking increase in consensus. With new information from their colleagues, former lawmakers became more supportive of workplace smoking restrictions, limitations on tobacco promotional items, and modest excise tax increases. CONCLUSIONS: The policy Delphi method has the potential for building consensus for tobacco control and tobacco farming policies among state legislators. Tobacco control advocates in other states might consider using the policy Delphi method with policymakers in public and private sectors. (+info)
Arizona's tobacco control initiative illustrates the need for continuing oversight by tobacco control advocates. (8/764)BACKGROUND: In 1994, Arizona voters approved Proposition 200 which increased the tobacco tax and earmarked 23% of the new revenues for tobacco education programmes. OBJECTIVE: To describe the campaign to pass Proposition 200, the legislative debate that followed the passage of the initiative, and the development and implementation of the tobacco control programme. DESIGN: This is a case study. Data were collected through semi-structured interviews with key players in the initiative campaign and in the tobacco education programme, and written records (campaign material, newspapers, memoranda, public records). RESULTS: Despite opposition from the tobacco industry, Arizonans approved an increase in the tobacco tax. At the legislature, health advocates in Arizona successfully fought the tobacco industry attempts to divert the health education funds and pass preemptive legislation. The executive branch limited the scope of the programme to adolescents and pregnant women. It also prevented the programme from attacking the tobacco industry or focusing on secondhand smoke. Health advocates did not put enough pressure at the executive branch to force it to develop a comprehensive tobacco education programme. CONCLUSIONS: It is not enough for health advocates to campaign for an increase in tobacco tax and to protect the funds at the legislature. Tobacco control advocates must closely monitor the development and implementation of tax-funded tobacco education programmes at the administrative level and be willing to press the executive to implement effective programmes. (+info)
धूम्रपान-मुक्त दुनिया फाउंडेशन धूम्रपान-मुक्त सूचकांक के माध्यम से तम्बाकू उद्योग और निकोटीन परितंत्र को प्रभावित करेगा ...
Pусский/Russian Translation. London, England (September 13, 2018) - The Foundation for a Smoke-Free World today announced at the Global Tobacco and Nicotine Forum that it is calling for proposals to develop and implement the Smoke-Free Index©. The index will critically evaluate industry progress toward achieving a smoke-free world and assess actions taken to undermine that progress. It will complement the World Health Organization Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (WHO FCTC) efforts by further examining necessary future transformation of the global tobacco industry and nicotine ecosystem to achieve a world free of the core products - combustible cigarettes - that are responsible for preventable and premature death and morbidity.. The Smoke-Free Index is part of the Foundations Industry Transformation initiative that will report on industry practices to drive effective change, and is a core pillar of the Foundations overall mission to achieve a smoke-free world within this ...
Tobacco Firms Pushed AIDS Agenda to Protect Profits - NextBillion
Tobacco firms used the fight against HIV/AIDS as a smokescreen to hinder tobacco control efforts in developing countries, researchers have revealed.. Big tobacco companies lobbied for funding and initiatives to combat AIDS to distract from the health problems caused by smoking and prevent regulations restricting tobacco use, a paper says.. In both Latin America and Sub-Saharan Africa, Philip Morris and British American Tobacco championed the AIDS response in order to delegitimize efforts to develop the World Health Organizations Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, says the paper published in the Journal of Social Aspects of HIV/AIDS on 29 March. The convention was eventually adopted in 2003.. Transnational tobacco companies aimed to generate competition between the two health issues for resources and policy attention to protect their interests from stronger regulation, the authors write.. ...
Global Health Governance and the Commercial Sector: A Documentary Analysis of Tobacco Company Strategies to Influence the WHO...
Heide Weishaar and colleagues did an analysis of internal tobacco industry documents together with other data and describe the industrys strategic response to the proposed World Health Organization Framework Convention on Tobacco Control.
Mueen Afzal - TobaccoTactics
The revolving door is the term used to describe instances where politicians or civil servants take up positions as consultants for the private sector (such as tobacco companies) where their area of former public service can conceivably serve the interests of the private company. Similarly, the revolving door also refers to former private sector employees that accept positions in the Government where they have the power over regulations in the sector that they once worked in.The revolving door can be viewed as a violation of the World Health Organizations Framework Convention on Tobacco Controls Article 5.3 which aims to protect public health policies from commercial and other vested interests of the tobacco industry.. ...
philip morris Cigarettes Shop,Cheap philip morris Cigarettes Online Sale Website
philip morris Cigarettes,philip morris Cigarettes sale,Duty-free philip morris Cigarettes Shop,Cheap philip morris Cigarettes,philip morris Cigarettes online,philip morris Cigarettes sale,philip morris Cigarettes wholesale. buy philip morris Cigarettes,philip morris Cigarettes cheap,philip morris Cigarettes online,philip morris Cigarettes for sale,philip morris Cigarettes supply. Cheap philip morris Tobacco online,philip morris Tobacco Sale,philip morris Tobacco wholesale,Buy philip morris Tobacco,philip morris Tobacco Shop. philip morris Cigarettes,Cheap philip morris Cigarettes Online Sale wholesale Shop.
Saudi signs anti-smoking pact « Khaled rambles
Saudi Arabia has ratified the World Health Organizations Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. As a ratifying nation it will ban tobacco advertising, take measures to protect nonsmokers from secondhand smoke, increase the cost of tobacco products, and make efforts to stop tobacco smuggling. The pact aims at dissuading children from smoking and to help adults drop the habit ...
World No Tobacco Day: Picture This - RWJF
Today marks World No Tobacco Day, organized by the World Health Organization Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. The website of the World Health Organization has a database of images and graphic warnings-catalogued by disease and country-that vividly illustrate the potential health consequences of using tobacco. The site is continually updated.. Below are some examples of health effects images from several countries. Note before you click-many of the images are disturbing.. ...
Group: UK COP9 Delegation Must Support Science | PMTA-Filed
The UKs All-Party Parliamentary Group for Vaping (APPG) said these anti-vaping civil society observers will be allowed to participate in the World Health Organization Framework Convention on Tobacco Control Conference of the Parties 9 (FCTC COP 9) in November this year, concluding that the WHO continues to attempt to discredit UKs science and policy approach to address the smoking problem, reports the Manila Bulletin. It said THR is a public health approach which is supposedly one of the original commitments of FCTC.. The APPG warned about the participation of The Union, a group funded by Bloomberg Philanthropies, as well as other anti-vaping non-government organizations in the FCTC COP 9 meeting in November. The APPG is asking the UK delegation to the FCTC COP9 meeting to ensure that its national experience and real-life evidence/data are reflected in the discussions within the WHO.. The APPG also wanted to ensure that the WHO would not move away from the fundamental objectives set forth by ...
ALEC and the Tobacco Industry | PR Watch
The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) is an influential, under-the-radar organization that facilitates collaboration between many of the most powerful corporations in America and state-level legislative representatives. Elected officials then introduce legislation approved by corporations in state houses across the U.S., without disclosing that the bills were
Tobacco industry documents: treasure trove or quagmire? | Tobacco Control
The release of over 27 million pages of internal tobacco industry documents as a result of discovery processes in The State of Minnesota and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota versus Philip Morriset al and other legal cases has provided tobacco control researchers and advocates with unprecedented opportunities to understand more about the inner workings of the industry. Documents are available for public viewing at the Minnesota Tobacco Document Depository, which opened in Minneapolis in 1998, at the Guildford Document Depository in Guildford, England, and on the world wide web, accessible through http://www.TobaccoArchives.com/ and other sites. In addition, through websites, users can get access to documents produced under the state litigation in Washington, Mississippi, Florida, and Texas, and selections from the British American Tobacco documents housed at Guildford, UK. (see other tobacco documents resources, below).. Though the vast majority of documents are from the Minnesota case, ...
WHO FRAMEWORK CONVENTION ON TOBACCO CONTROL - PDF
World Health Organization Geneva, Switzerland WHO FRAMEWORK CONVENTION ON TOBACCO CONTROL World Health Organization 2003 WHO Library Cataloguing-in-Publication Data WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco
The Living Tomorrow Project: how Philip Morris has used a Belgian tourist attraction to promote ventilation approaches to the...
Study objective: To examine the involvement of Philip Morris in Living Tomorrow 2 and determine the rationale behind its involvement.. Design: Research was conducted through a web based search of internal tobacco industry documents made publicly available through litigation.. Main results: For approximately €1 000 000 Philip Morris (now Altria) became a co-initiator of Living Tomorrow 2, a tourist complex in Belgium that aims to demonstrate how we will be living in the future. In addition to promoting the company and its grocery products, Philip Morris is using the complex and its website to promote ventilation as a means of accommodating smokers and non-smokers in the indoor environment. Particular emphasis was placed on the bar and restaurant areas. Despite the rationale for its involvement, Philip Morris fails to acknowledge its role as a cigarette manufacturer. As a form of corporate sponsorship Philip Morris thought its involvement could evade any European tobacco advertising ...
WHOs Framework Convention On Tobacco Control Meeting Must Carefully Consider Action On E-Cigarettes | The Henry J. Kaiser...
Clive Bates, public heath commentator and former head of Action on Smoking and Health in the United Kingdom, and Sally Satel, resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute. …This week, India is hosting a major meeting focusing on the WHOs Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC), a landmark 2003 global treaty on tobacco control. The most controversial issue under discussion will be the treatment of electronic cigarettes. The debate could not be more polarized. … Faced with … dueling reports [on the potential risks and benefits of electronic cigarettes], what should delegates at the FCTC meeting actually do? … Regulations that make electronic cigarettes less accessible, less palatable, more expensive, less consumer friendly, and less satisfying, or that slow down innovation, will tilt the market back in favor of tobacco cigarettes. If that happens, the result will be more cancer, heart, and lung disease, and premature deaths. … [W]e urge [delegates] to carefully consider ...
The framework convention on tobacco control.
de Seixas Corrêa, Luiz Felipe. (2002). The framework convention on tobacco control.. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 80 (12), 924. World Health Organization. https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/268675 ...
WHO framework convention on tobacco control
World Health Organization, Regional Office for South-East Asia. (2004). WHO framework convention on tobacco control. WHO Regional Office for South-East Asia. https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/206081 ...
Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement
In November 1998, four of the major cigarette manufacturers-Philip Morris, RJ Reynolds, Brown & Williamson and Lorillard-settled lawsuits filed by New Mexico, 45 other states, and the District of Columbia that the State had initiated to recover a portion of the health care costs that cigarette smoking had imposed on the States. This agreement is known as the Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement or MSA. Under the MSA, the settling cigarette manufacturers agree to certain prohibitions and restrictions on the marketing and advertising of their products and also agree to make annual payments to the States. Since the MSA was first executed over forty cigarette manufacturers have joined the agreement.. In connection with the MSA, the State of New Mexico enacted certain laws that regulate cigarette manufacturers who wish to sell their product in New Mexico. One key statute is located at NMSA 1978, Sections 6-4-12 &13(1999) and is commonly known as the Model Escrow Statute. That statute requires a ...
How the tobacco industry responded to an influential study of the health effects of secondhand smoke | The BMJ
In 1981 an influential Japanese study showed an association between passive smoking and lung cancer. This article documents the tobacco industrys attempts to refute this study by producing a credible alternative study. In 1981 Japanese investigator Takeshi Hirayama published a cohort study examining the association of passive smoking and lung cancer among non-smoking wives of smokers in Japan.1 The study concluded that wives of heavy smokers had up to twice the risk of developing lung cancer as wives of non-smokers and that the risk was dose related. The Hirayama study was influential because it launched an extraordinary amount of critical debate 2 3 and has been one of the most frequently cited studies in regulatory proceedings, 4 5 risk assessments,6 and the media.7. The tobacco industry has used a variety of tactics to maintain scientific debate about whether secondhand smoke has any harmful effects. 5 6 8-14 We identify and analyse internal tobacco industry documents that describe the ...
Tobacco Regulation through Litigation: The Master Settlement Agreement
Downloadable! The 1998 Master Settlement Agreement resolved the unprecedented litigation in which the states sought to recoup the cigarette-related Medicaid costs. The litigation was settled through a combination of negotiated regulatory requirements and financial payments of about $250 billion over 25 years. Settlement payments received by states are strongly related to smoking-related medical costs but are also related to political factors. The payments largely took the form of an excise tax equivalent, raising potential antitrust concerns. The regulatory restrictions imposed by the agreement also raised antitrust concerns. However, there has been no evident shift in industry concentration. The increase in advertising and marketing expenses has largely taken the form of price discounts. The settlement sidestepped the usual procedures pertaining to the imposition of taxes and the promulgation of new regulations.(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Tobacco Settlement Agreements - Philip Morris USA
The tobacco settlement agreements created fundamental changes in how tobacco products are advertised, marketed and sold in the United States.
Internal tobacco industry documents show that clinical trials have been performed to provide support for claims of reduced exposure and health risk. Twelve previously unpublished clinical trials conducted by Philip Morris and RJ Reynolds were reviewed, as well as a large-scale observational study of human exposure to harmful constituents among smokers using conventional cigarettes. These studies were done between 1988 and 2006, and all compared products that electrically heat tobacco to a conventional tobacco-burning cigarette; one study also included a pouched smokeless tobacco product, snus, as a switching condition. Tobacco industry PREP use of switching studies seemed to accelerate in the late 1990s with the advent of Accord (Philip Morris) and Eclipse (Reynolds) products, apparently in response to the Master Settlement Agreement of 1998 and the threat of further litigation and possible Food and Drug Administration regulation of tobacco products. The internal documents provide a valuable ...
The Tobacco Industry and Childrens Rights | Special Articles | Pediatrics
The tobacco industry considered UNICEF and the CRC as important threats because of their potential to bolster global tobacco-control movements and the FCTC. The industry aimed to neutralize this threat by positioning itself as a partner with UNICEF and focusing on issues that tobacco companies could nominally support: notably, YSP and fighting child labor. These corporate social responsibility initiatives are not genuine attempts at ethical business practice but political tools to improve the tobacco industrys credibility, gain allies and access to policymakers,72 and avoid the isolation of tobacco companies from policy decisions.73 Tobacco industry-funded YSP programs do not meaningfully address youth smoking.30,32,33 Tobacco companies have also failed to take meaningful steps to prevent child labor, such as enforcing a policy to not purchase tobacco grown by using child labor or having third parties perform audits on farms from which they buy tobacco leaves. Instead, they have invested in ...
Study shows cigarette smoking a risk for Alzheimers disease
The UCSF team determined that the average risk of a smoker developing AD, based on studies without tobacco industry affiliation, was estimated to be 1.72, meaning that smoking nearly doubled the risk of AD. In contrast, the team found that studies authored by individuals with tobacco industry affiliations, showed a risk factor of .86 (less than one), suggesting that smoking protects against AD. When all studies were considered together, the risk factor for developing AD from smoking was essentially neutral at a statistically insignificant 1.05.. Previous reviews of the association between smoking and AD have not controlled for study design and author affiliation with the tobacco industry, according to Cataldo. To determine if study authors had connections to the tobacco industry, the UCSF team analyzed 877 previously secret tobacco industry documents.. The researchers used an inclusive definition of tobacco industry affiliation and examined authors current or past funding, employment, paid ...
Global Tobacco Control
This site provides an introduction to global tobacco control. Presents the health and economic burden of tobacco use worldwide and highlights practical approaches to tobacco prevention, control, surveillance, and evaluation. Examines transnational tobacco control issues, including the following: the interpretation and packaging of epidemiologic evidence for policy makers, the determinants of tobacco addiction, the economics of global tobacco control, tobacco industry strategies, legal foundations for regulation, and basic surveillance and evaluation methods using lectures, case-studies, and discussion ...
Global Graduate Programme - Marketing - British American Tobacco
Locuri de munca in la British American Tobacco . Job-uri in BUCURESTI, Ilfov la British American Tobacco . full-time. 0 - 1 an experienta.
ManufacturerBritish American Tobacco - Cigarettes Pedia
The merger with Rothmans is followed by a major change to the Groups interests in the Canadian market, now the largest generator of profit for the Group. During 2000, Rothmans Canadian interests are sold, while the outstanding shares in Imasco, an associate of British American Tobacco, are purchased and its non-tobacco interests are sold. Now a wholly-owned subsidiary focused solely on tobacco, the Canadian operation is known as Imperial Tobacco Canada. In 2001, the Group announces a series of new investments in countries such as Turkey, Egypt, Vietnam, South Korea and Nigeria. British American Tobacco celebrates its centenary in 2002. It reaffirms its faith in its people, its products and the tobacco industry as a whole with new investments in Nigeria, South Korea and Turkey. That same year, it becomes the first tobacco company to publish a Social Report. The following year British American Tobacco gains control of Perus Tabacalera Nacional and wins bids for Italys former state tobacco ...
Canadian Cancer Society applauds Ontario Superior Court ruling against tobacco industry
06 January 2012 Toronto - The Ontario Superior Court has ruled that foreign parent tobacco companies must remain as defendants in the Ontario Governments $50 billion medicare cost-recovery lawsuit against the tobacco industry. This means the Ontario government lawsuit may proceed against foreign tobacco companies in addition to their Canadian subsidiaries. The lawsuit was initially launched in 2009 to recover health care costs due to tobacco-related illnesses, however several of the companies named in the court case applied to be removed from the lawsuit. With this ruling, that application was rejected.. Foreign companies, such as British American Tobacco and Philip Morris International, had brought a motion seeking to be removed as defendants. The ruling on the motion was rendered earlier in the week, and was announced today by Ontario Attorney General John Gerretsen.. This is great news and a significant defeat for the tobacco industry, says Rob Cunningham, lawyer and Senior Policy Analyst ...
Tobacco Industry Documents
The community ability s to access these documents is critical. These documents can provide a powerful resource to tobacco control advocates engaged in community awareness and education, policy initiatives, and prevention and cessation efforts. From our own use of the tobacco industry documents, we have found the messages within the documents to be insightful, alarming, and even empowering. We expect that they will have a similar impact on the communities who are able to access them through our online library ...
Tobacco industry activity in New Mexico - SourceWatch
Colorado provides an example of how the industry acted in the other listed Western states as well. In Colorado, the tobacco industry noted that widespread sentiment existed for a statewide smoking law, and that even the industrys usual ally, the Colorado Restaurant Association, favored such legislation. To head off this pending disaster, the industry planned to introduce a weak statewide smoking restriction measure with moderate provisions that would institutionalize certain smokers rights and dramatically weaken one of the strongest statewide GASP organizations in the country. The then-governor of Colorado (2003), Bill Owens, was identified in the document as a friendly member of the House Local Government Committee (consistently favorable to tobacco interests) who could offer a substitute bill with desireable provisions with a good chance of having it adopted and passed out of committee... The writer of the memo describes the industrys strategy: Publicly, tobacco industry advocates ...
Tobacco Advisory Council - SourceWatch
Tobacco Advisory Council (TAC) was a British tobacco industry trade and lobbying group that served as the U.K. equivalent of the Tobacco Institute in the US. It was the de facto National Manufacturers Association (NMA), based in London, and the tobacco lobbying group in Britain which was the equivalent of the Tobacco Institute in the U.S. Until September 1979 it had been known as the Tobacco Research Council. TAC primarily operated to delay and obstruct tobacco control legislation and preserve the social acceptability of smoking. Member companies included the Gallaher, British American Tobacco, Imperial Tobacco, and Rothmans Tobacco. TAC engaged in various programs and activities aimed at confusing the public about the scientific consensus that secondhand smoke harms the health of nonsmokers. The public relations company Daniel J. Edelman Ltd. (now known as Edelman), assisted TAC and in 1987 prepared a proposal, Managing the ETS [Environmental Tobacco Smoke] Issue that stated the overall ...
CIGoutlet.NET News: UK MPs lash tobacco industry, lack of regulation
LONDON, June 14 (Reuters) - An influential body of British politicians on Wednesday condemned the behaviour of the tobacco industry, saying the lack of regulation was lamentable.. Parliaments cross-party Health Select Committee called on the government to press ahead with an advertising ban, beef up education about the dangers of smoking and standardise packaging of all tobacco products with prominent health warnings. ``The tobacco industry has run rings around successive governments for 50 years. Regulation is still entirely inadequate, Labour MP David Hinchliffe, the committees chairman, told reporters. The committee said tobacco cost at least four million lives worldwide in 1998 and that on present trends, 250 million of the children alive today will be killed by smoking. The MPs said cigarette packets should have clear labelling making it clear that they were ``drug-delivery devices, creating addiction through nicotine. Tobacco giants like British American Tobacco, Gallaher faced a ...
Exposure To Low-level Magnetic Fields Causes DNA Damage In Rat Brain Cells, Researchers Find, page 2
This study relies on statements made by cigarette manufacturers individually and collectively through the Tobacco Industry Research Committee (TIRC), Council for Tobacco Research (CTR), Center for Indoor Air Research (CIAR), and the Tobacco Institute (TI) on the subject of smoking and health. All of these organizations were financially supported by tobacco companies. The TIRC was established in 1954 with the goal of supporting independent research on the relationship between smoking and health. In 1964, the TIRC was renamed the CTR but operated with the same management structure until 1998 when it closed. The CIAR was formed in 1988 by tobacco companies to sponsor research on indoor air issues and to facilitate communication of research findings to the broad scientific community. The TI was established in 1958 and operated as public relations and lobbying organization for the tobacco industry. CTR, CIAR, and TI all were closed down as part of the 1988 Master Settlement Agreement ...
Tobacco Industry - Romance Photo Book
FC: Tobacco Industry In North Carolina. 1: 5 Important Facts , 1. One fact is that Durham N.C open the fist automatic cigarette factory in North Carolina. 2. One of the tobacco industries is still the largest in North Carolina and second largest in the USA. 3. North Carolina in the 1880s and the early 1900s has been one of the most dominant leaders in tobacco. 4. The tobacco developed after the civil war. 5. Even in the old days and currently farmers really grow tobacco.. 2: These are some pictures of tobacco in North Carolina.. 4: 1 . R.J Reynolds- He created the second largest company in United States America 2. A.C Monk tobacco company- A company in North Carolina 3. Lorillard tobacco company- it is another company 4. The Victorian Italianate W. T. Blackwell or Bull Durham Tobacco Building is one of oldest factory buildings in Durham. 5. Durham had the first automatic cigarette company. , 5 People And Companies. 5: Questions: , Does this industry exist today? This industry exist today. ...
Frequently Asked Questions - Where Theres Smoke
Which tobacco companies were investigated and found to engage in social media marketing in research for Where Theres Smoke?. Philip Morris International, British American Tobacco, Japan Tobacco International and Imperial Brands.. Are tobacco companies transparent about their social media marketing efforts?. No. While the worlds largest tobacco companies claim to have voluntary codes of conduct which promise investors, regulators and the public they wont engage in social media marketing, there is indisputable evidence to the contrary. Findings of the Where Theres Smoke campaign directly contradict tobacco companies voluntary codes of conduct that claim the companies will not engage in viral marketing (British American Tobacco, Imperial Brands) or covert marketing where it is not explicitly clear that cigarettes are being advertised (British American Tobacco), require age verification in online ads (Japan Tobacco International) and will engage in marketing that is honest and accurate ...
British American Tobacco: A Killer in Africa - Action on Smoking and Health
Lagos, Nigeria: A temporary kiosk visible from Apapa Senior High School gate, displaying BAT cigarettes on the counter next to sweets and snacks. Photo by ATCA. While tobacco consumption globally is decreasing, in the coming decades the number of smokers in Africa is anticipated to rise by nearly 40% from 2010 levels. This is the largest expected increase in the world.. British American Tobacco (BAT) claims to be committed to the highest standards of corporate conduct.  However, it has a long history of selling its deadly products in Africa, and the continent is a key region for growth for the company. It is predicted that one billion people will die from tobacco use globally by 2100. Millions of these will be in Africa. . In Kenya, where BAT controls some 70 per cent of the market, the countrys Tobacco Control Act took more than 13 years to be passed, largely due to what has been labelled by the Kenya Ministry of Public Health and Sanitation as intimidation and interference from ...
British American Tobacco ready to take on PMFTC | Philstar.com
British American Tobacco (BAT) is still optimistic on pursuing investments in the Philippines despite the difficulties it is encountering in getting a level playing in the local tobacco industry.
WHO Collaborating Centre for Tobacco Product Regulation and Control | RIVM
The Netherlands and the European Union have joined the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC). The FCTC aims to reduce tobacco use and has more than 170 parties worldwide. Article 9 of the FCTC deals with the composition of tobacco products, including the additives. According to Article 10 of the FCTC, tobacco manufacturers must disclose this composition to the governments of the countries where they market their products.. The FCTC recommends prohibiting or regulating the use of flavour-enhancing additives such as sugars, menthol and vanilla. These additives contribute toward making it easier for people to start and continue smoking. In countries such as the United States, Canada, Australia and France, the addition of flavour-enhancing additives to tobacco is already (partly) prohibited.. ...
Investigating Institutional Influences on Tobacco Control | Global Research Projects
Tobacco use is distinguished from other health problems by the presence of an aggressive, multinational tobacco industry whose institutional goals are incompatible with those of public health. Corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiatives are an important and under-recognized means by which the tobacco industry seeks to thwart public health and create a tobacco-favorable policy environment in the US and globally. By engaging in responsible activities (such as establishing youth smoking prevention programs, and contributing to worthy causes), the tobacco industry enhances its image and counters negative publicity, frames the tobacco problem as one of responsible consumption and marketing, and provides policymakers with reasons to engage with the industry. The almost unlimited financial resources and ability of multinational tobacco companies to undermine public health efforts through CSR constitutes one of the greatest obstacles to stemming the tobacco epidemic, particularly in low ...
Sanjay Basu - The Health Care Blog
In 2003, 168 countries signed the worlds first public health treaty: the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC). The FCTC legally bound countries to enforce major tobacco control measures, ranging from tobacco taxes to regulations on public smoking. Through a massive international effort, the FCTC has assisted countries to improve their tobacco prevention programs, and the treaty continues to be a basis for many new programs that are implementing evidence-based tobacco control strategies.. In an article in PLoS Medicine, we publish new data showing that the food and beverage industrys activities in low- and middle-income countries parallel that of the tobacco industry in years past; moreover, as cardiovascular disease and diabetes rates rise in poor nations, junk food, soda, and alcohol are statistically the major factors giving rise to deaths among working-age populations, and the newest evidence suggests that educational programs alone arent effective when markets are drowned by ...
Snus News & Other Tobacco Products: 4/4/10 - 4/11/10
Background: Philip Morris Philippines Manufacturing Inc. (PMPMI) is an affiliate of Philip Morris International (PMI), the most successful cigarette company in the world. In the Philippines, PMPMI manufactures and distributes the worlds number 1 cigarette brand Marlboro and Philip Morris Menthol cigarettes. It also has the worlds number two brand L&M as its mid-priced product. Completing its diversified portfolio, PMPMI has low-price brands Bowling Gold, Stork and Miller. Philip Morris products, particularly Marlboro has been in the Philippine market since 1955. Our products then were manufactured and sold under license with La Suerte Cigar and Cigarette Company. PMI is the most successful international cigarette company today with almost a quarter share of the entire adult cigarette market. Locally, PMPMI now enjoys a 31.3 percent share of market by the end of 2006 ...
Snus News & Other Tobacco Products: 4/4/10 - 4/11/10
Background: Philip Morris Philippines Manufacturing Inc. (PMPMI) is an affiliate of Philip Morris International (PMI), the most successful cigarette company in the world. In the Philippines, PMPMI manufactures and distributes the worlds number 1 cigarette brand Marlboro and Philip Morris Menthol cigarettes. It also has the worlds number two brand L&M as its mid-priced product. Completing its diversified portfolio, PMPMI has low-price brands Bowling Gold, Stork and Miller. Philip Morris products, particularly Marlboro has been in the Philippine market since 1955. Our products then were manufactured and sold under license with La Suerte Cigar and Cigarette Company. PMI is the most successful international cigarette company today with almost a quarter share of the entire adult cigarette market. Locally, PMPMI now enjoys a 31.3 percent share of market by the end of 2006 ...
The potential impact of corporate social responsibility in the Chinese garment industry
The thesis analyses the potential impact of Corporate Social Responsibility in the Chinese garment industry. The characteristics and the causes of the main problems in the industry show that Corporate Social Responsibility can play a role in solution building within a delimited field. In order to play this role CSR has to adapt to developments in the Chinese society, pursue certain strategies and meet the set benchmarks of coverage and sustainability. A performance analysis of the current Corporate Social Responsibility mechanisms on these benchmarks shows an incompleteness of the concept. In order to have a potential impact in the Chinese garment industry Corporate Social Responsibility should undergo certain adjustments and be a mix of bottom-up and to-down approaches ...
Corporate social responsibility (CSR) and stock price - An event study approach
Corporate Social Responsibility can bring real business benefits by reducing risk, by enhancing brand value, by opening doors and creating good will, and by improving staff efficiency and morale. Nevertheless, there remains a protracted debate about the legitimacy and value of corporate responses to CSR concerns. Knowledge about the effect of Corporate Social Responsibility on corporate financial performance contributes to the debate about whether managers systematically miss profit opportunities if they decide against it. There are different views about a firms role in society and disagreements as to whether wealth maximization should be the sole goal of a corporation. Using extensive data over a time period, this study will explore and test the sign of the relationship between corporate social responsibility and financial performance. More specifically, the purpose of this study is to examine whether Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) announcements or events, have any effect on a firms ...
24Notion: Ten Ways to Become a Leader in Corporate Social Responsibility | 24notion.net
24Notion, an integrated agency focus on a creative marketing design, public relations and lifestyle agency, is the winner of a prestigious Corporate Social Responsibility Award, the 2012 Portland Business Journal Corporate Philanthropy Award for Innovation in Philanthropy. In addition, 24 Notion was ranked 17th out of 100 in the Portland Business Journal Book of Lists.. Corporate Social Responsibility is an integral part of the mission of 24Notion, said Ivo Lukas, Founder and CEO of 24Notion. We have proven that being active in philanthropy is possible for organizations of any size. Looking forward we will strive to continue to find new ways to support our community, and the world.. Ten strategies 24Notion recommends for an organization striving to become a leader in corporate social responsibility are:. 1. Commit to giving in your organizations budget and annual goals - either a percentage of revenues or a set amount. 24Notion has shown year over year increases in their donations with ...
Corporate social responsibility planning officer Jobs - Corporate social responsibility planning officer Job Vacancy - Monster...
Apply to 114 Corporate social responsibility planning officer Jobs on Monster.com.hk, Hong Kongs Best Online Job Portal. Find Latest Corporate social responsibility planning officer Job vacancies for Freshers & Experienced across Top Companies.
Official news concerning British American Tobacco 2019 | Presseportal
latest releases: ✓ British American Tobacco Named as a Diversity Leader by the Financial Times ✓ British American Tobacco Recognised Again as a Global Top Employer ✓ British American Tobacco Recognised as a Top Employer in Europe for Ninth Year Running
Corporate Counsel at British American Tobacco Nigeria
Corporate Counsel at British American Tobacco Nigeria Corporate Counsel at British American Tobacco Nigeria - British American Tobacco has an exciting opportunity for a Corporate [...]…
Implementing WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control Article 14 through Advocacy and Trainings - Center for Health...
In 2014, the American University of Armenia (AUA) School of Public Health (SPH) was one of the 19 organizations worldwide that was competitively awarded the 2-year grant to expand the work in the field of tobacco dependence treatment. The grant was presented by Global Bridges Healthcare Alliance for Tobacco Dependence Treatment and hosted by the Mayo Clinic and Pfizer Independent Grants for Learning & Change (IGLC) and aimed to develop national capacity in implementing the World Health Organization (WHO) Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) Article 14 in Armenia (view the project poster here).. The SPH envisioned development of the national capacity in implementation of best practices for the tobacco dependence treatment in Armenia through development of a smoking cessation training program for practicing primary healthcare physicians in Armenia. The application of the existing best practices in a transition country such as Armenia required a careful examination and a thorough ...
WHO | Suriname - comprehensive tobacco control legislation passed
February 2013 - The Suriname Parliament unanimously passed comprehensive tobacco control legislation on 7 February 2013.. The Suriname Ministry of Health with the assistance of the Pan American Health Organization authored the tobacco control bill. During the Parliamentary debate, members of Parliament were presented with examples of best legislative practices from Parties to the WHO FCTC in an attempt to sensitize them about the benefits of implementing comprehensive tobacco control strategies, including those aimed at preventing exposure to tobacco smoke. The legislation will be enforced from 7 June 2013. The bill was passed despite attempts by hospitality and tobacco industry lobbyists to modify the draft legislation in order to permit designated smoking areas, exempt casinos and allow tobacco promotion.. The new act includes measures such as: ...
Tobacco advertising ban is a huge victory for public health. - Action on Smoking and Health
Tobacco advertising ban is a huge victory for public health As the Tobacco Advertising and Promotion bill reached its final stages,  ASH said the measure marked a major step forward in the campaign to reduce smoking. ASH Research Manager Amanda Sandford commented:. This is a victory for public health. The government is to be congratulated for putting the health of the nation firmly before the commercial interests of the tobacco industry. The measure is long overdue but we are delighted that at long last the UK will be joining the growing list of countries that have banned tobacco advertising and promotion. It is an important health measure that will save around 3,000 lives a year.. Ms Sandford added that the ban will strengthen the call for international action to curb tobacco promotion.. The ban should bolster the UKs position in the current negotiations of the WHOs Framework Convention on Tobacco Control which, if successful, will result in a global treaty on tobacco control. ...
Tobacco Industry: A description for the tobacco industry Industry · Job Descriptions
Tobacco Industry. Tobacco Industry: The tobacco industry consists off jobs regarding to stemming tobacco and manufacturing cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobacco, smoking tobacco, and snuff. jobs regarding to the manufacture of cigarettes from vegetable substances are also included in this description. Other job industries: ...
Governor and Attorney General continue to ask for tobacco settlement funds - Radio Iowa
Theres been an 11 percent drop in the nations smoking rate from 1997 to 99 - but Iowas smoking rate dropped only four percent during that period. Iowa Attorney General Tom Miller says states which have aggressive, government-sponsored anti-smoking campaigns are more successful in curbing smoking.Miller and Governor Vilsack suggest using about 10-million dollars from the states tobacco settlement money on an anti-smoking campaign. Republican legislators next week will make a decision on how to use the 74-million Iowa will get this year from the cigarette-makers.Miller says five-thousand Iowans die each year from smoking-related illnesses.Over the next 25 years, Iowa will be paid an estimated two-BILLION dollars from tobacco companies as a result of the lawsuit brought by the state.Governor Tom Vilsack is pressuring Republican legislators to commit 12-and-a-half million dollars of the tobacco settlement money to substance abuse programs. To bolster his arguement, Vilsack staged a news ...
Corporate Social Responsibility is Well & Should be a Vital Part of Company, Trisa Thompson, VP of Corporate Responsibility,...
MUMBAI: This interview is part of an ongoing series of interviews with CSR executives world wide. As part of our Corporate Sustainability & Responsibility (CSR) interview series, Rusen Kumar & Harsha Mukherjee talked Trisa Thompson, vice president of corporate responsibility at DELL about corporate responsibility at Dell. Thanks again to Trisa Thompson for taking the time to share her vision, views and thoughts on Corporate Responsibility with INDIACSR.. She advocated that Corporate Social Responsibility is and should be a vital part of any company.. Corporate Social Responsibility not only ensures that companies conduct their efforts with integrity, it encourage a responsible way to do business in the marketplace. CSR is a strategic imperative that provides companies with real business value. It is something that has become increasingly important to our customers and continues to remain a business imperative for us. She added.. Below is the edited transcript of the interview. Welcome to ...
Tidyco Ltd | Corporate Social Responsibility by Barry Aldridge Marketing - issuu
Issuu is a digital publishing platform that makes it simple to publish magazines, catalogs, newspapers, books, and more online. Easily share your publications and get them in front of Issuus millions of monthly readers. Title: Tidyco Ltd | Corporate Social Responsibility, Author: Barry Aldridge Marketing, Name: Tidyco Ltd | Corporate Social Responsibility, Length: 12 pages, Page: 1, Published: 2017-02-23
Corporate Social Responsibility | The Business of Social Change & Impact - Corporate Social Responsibility
Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is not a function of business like accounting or marketing, it is a representation of the soul of a business, like values or principles.
Certified Corporate Social Responsibility VS-1195 - Online Courses - Monster Education
Enroll now for Certified Corporate Social Responsibility VS-1195 Courses & Certifications Online through Monster Education. Get Flexible batch timings for Certified Corporate Social Responsibility VS-1195 24/7 access to E-learning Industry certified mentors.
Corporate Social Responsibility
Corporate social responsibility is a form of corporate self-regulation integrated into a business model. CSR policy functions as a built-in, self-regulating mechanism whereby business monitors and ensures its active compliance with the spirit of the law, ethical standards, and international norms. Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) has been on the agenda in India for a considerable period. Most big Indian corporations are engaged in some CSR activities
PROJECT TOPIC- CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY OF A BUSINESS ORGANISATION » Project Writers Nigeria, Project topics & Custom...
PROJECT TOPIC- CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY OF A BUSINESS ORGANISATION ABSTRACT This project is centered on Corporate Social Responsibility of a Business
Factors affecting SMEs motivations for corporate social responsibility - University of Canberra Research Portal
TY - GEN. T1 - Factors affecting SMEs motivations for corporate social responsibility. AU - Mankelow, Gary. AU - Quazi, Ali. PY - 2007. Y1 - 2007. N2 - This paper empirically explores the motivational factors for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) to engage in corporate social responsibility (CSR) practices. A structured questionnaire was used to collect data from members of the Hunter Business Chamber, resulting in 122 usable responses. Exploratory factor analysis identified four underlying dimensions in the CSR motivation of SME managers. Four motivational dimensions emerged that reflected themes ranging from caring for the customer and society to the financial self-interest of SMEs. These findings corroborate the previous findings of Quazi and OBrien (2000) and have important managerial implications for SMEs. SME managers are motivated towards CSR for the profit viability and growth of their businesses whilst also caring for customers and the community. Limitations and areas for further ...
Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) PT. Astom Indonesia Bersama Yayasan Pertiwi. - PT. Astom Indonesia
Kepedulian perusahaan terhadap lingkungan sekitar merupakan salah satu kewajiban yang harus dilakukan oleh setiap perusahaan yang ada di Indonesia. Di Indonesia, kepedulian atas lingkungan sekitarnya disebut sebagai Tanggung Jawab Sosial/Corporate Social Responsibility. Menurut Undang-undang No. 40 tahun 2007 tentang Perseroan Terbatas, Tanggung Jawab Sosial/Corporate Social Responsibility CSR adalah komitmen Perseroan untuk berperan serta dalam pembangunan ekonomi berkelanjutan guna meningkatkan kualitas kehidupan dan lingkungan yang bermanfaat, baik bagi Perseroan sendiri, komunitas setempat, maupun masyarakat pada umumnya.. Salah satu hal yang menjadi kepedulian sosial PT. Astom Indonesia untuk lingkungan sekitarnya adalah pentingnya pendidikan anak diusia dini bagi anak-anak dilingkungan Desa Sukaresmi. Pendidikan anak usia dini merupakan salah satu bentuk penyelenggaraan pendidikan yang menitikberatkan pada peletakan dasar ke arah pertumbuhan dan perkembangan fisik (koordinasi motorik halus ...
Corporate Social Responsibility and Gender Commitments by Musammet Ismat Ara Begum
The growing field of Corporate Social Responsibility includes gender equality issues as a corporate commitment to society as well as the organization. It emphasizes equal opportunities for males and females in every sphere of organizational practice. However, the practices are most relevant to economic gains and political and regulatory purposes instead of demands for society, ethics and human rights. This research paper finds that the commercial banks of Bangladesh practice their gender commitments within a Corporate Social Responsibility framework and concentrate more on economic and political gains than mainstream gender practices from an ethical point of view. Incorporating gender issues in the organizational practices of commercial banks is one kind of rhetorical or nominal participation in a strategic way.
which corporate social responsibilities - Quantity Surveyor Blog
Why Corporate social responsibilities (CSR activities) are essential? Because the World population is highly growing and the resources are becoming scarce day by day. Peoples and organizations are more concerned to find a way of sustainable developments. 1972 Stockholm earth summit has set out broad goals against the pollution. And the 1992 Rio de JaneiroContinue reading 3 Corporate social responsibilities of a sustainable company. ...
Corporate Social Responsibility in Mining for Economies - Instructors Guidebook
In 2011, the Asian Institute of Management developed teaching material on Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) in the mining sector. The material, prepared by the Institutes Ramon V. del Rosario, Sr. Center for Corporate Social Responsibility (AIM-RVR Center), highlighted best CSR practices and relevant regulations and guidelines in the mining sector in Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) economies. This APEC-funded project is geared towards implementing sustainable development initiatives in the mining sector ...
Corporate Social Responsibility Strategy - Region of Peel
On June 22, 2017, Regional Council adopted the Region of Peels Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Strategy and embarked on a CSR journey to address business operations. The long-term outcome of the CSR Strategy is to ensure that the Regions operating practices achieve social, economic and environmental benefits for the community. Two years after strategy implementation, numerous initiatives are in place or under development. Highlights of achievements are shown in the diagram below. Research, monitoring and reporting will continue to inform future directions of the strategy. Corporate Social Responsibility is beneficial to the well-being of the Peel community.. ...
The maturing of corporate social responsibility: a developmental process.
Citation: Crowther, D. (2008) The maturing of corporate social responsibility: a developmental process. In: Crowther, D. and Capaldi, N. (eds). The Ashgate research companion to corporate social responsibility. Aldershot: Ashgate, pp. 19-30. ...
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Corporate Social Responsibility Pdf - tcl-toulon.org
Advantages and disadvantages of corporate social responsibility pdf, Pdf pro crack free download, Corporate Social Responsibility: Its Advantages and Disadvantages According to Horrigan (), there is no definite answer to what CSR is owing to the high.
Analisis Pengaruh Corporate Social Responsibility Terhadap Default Risk Perusahaan - UNS Institutional Repository
Penelitian ini bertujuan untuk menguji pengaruh pengungkapan corporate social responsibility, yang dimoderasi oleh variabel moderasi kapabilitas dan kompleksitas, dengan variabel kontrol leverage dan ukuran perusahaan terhadap default risk perusahaan pada perusahaan yang tercatat di Pefindo tahun 2010 - 2014. Populasi dalam penelitian ini yaitu seluruh perusahaan Non Keuangan yang terdaftar pada Pefindo pada tahun 2010 - 2014. Sampel diambil dengan metode purposive sampling. Analisis data dilakukan dengan menggunakan regresi linier berganda. Hasil Penelitian menunjukkan bahwa 1). Pengungkapan corporate social responsibility tidak berpengaruh terhadap penurunan default risk perusahaan. 2). Variabel moderasi kapabilitas tidak berpengaruh terhadap hubungan CSR dengan default risk perusahaan. 3). Variabel moderasi kompleksitas tidak berpengaruh terhadap hubungan CSR dengan default risk perusahaan.. ...
Tobacco Settlement Endowment Trust (TSET) - Oklahoma Policy Institute
TSET is an endowment trust established with payments from the 1998 Master Settlement Agreement (MSA) between 46 states and the tobacco industry. In November 2000, with passage of State Question 692, Oklahoma became the first and only state to direct its tobacco settlement payments into a constitutionally-protected trust fund. Under the measure, 75 percent of…
EUR-Lex - n26039 - EN - EUR-Lex
Green Paper on corporate social responsibility. 1) OBJECTIVE. To launch a wide debate on how the European Union could promote corporate social responsibility on a European and International level, in particular, on how to make the most of existing experiences, to encourage the development of innovative practices, to bring greater transparency and to increase reliability in evaluating and validating the various initiatives undertaken in Europe.. 2) ACT. Green Paper - Promoting a European framework for Corporate Social Responsibility [COM(2001) 366 - Not published in the Official Journal].. 3) SUMMARY. Background Corporate social responsibility can make a positive contribution to the strategic goal decided by the Lisbon European Council: to become the most competitive and dynamic knowledge-based economy in the world. A European approach to corporate social responsibility forms part of the broader context of various international initiatives, such as the United Nations Global Compact (2000), the ...
Does the application of corporate social responsibility support a high performance organisation in achieving better results?...
Article Does the application of corporate social responsibility support a high performance organisation in achieving better results? The case of mining multinationals in Peru. Recent literature indicates that the application of corporate social respo...
Smoking in Ecuador - Wikipedia
Smoking in Ecuador is more common among men and younger people. More than half of Ecuadorian smokers desire to quit. The Government of Ecuador plans to reduce second-hand smoke in public spaces by 2012. The tobacco industry in Ecuador includes the major players of Tabacalera Andina SA (a subsidiary of Philip Morris International Inc) and British American Tobacco (South America) Ltd. Smoking is expected to decrease as the government enacts laws and the public becomes more aware of the dangers of smoking. Smoking is common in bars and dance clubs, but non-smoking signs in restaurants in Quito are generally respected. In 2006, Ecuador adopted the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, emphasizing Smoke-Free environments, reforms on tobacco promotion and marketing, product packaging and labeling, and clear plans to enact laws to promote tobacco cessation. In 2011, the Ecuadorian Parliament adopted the Tobacco Control and Regulation Bill to enforce strict regulations on the promotion and ...
Protocol for a clinical study on reduced toxicant prototype cigarettes... ( British American Tobacco has publish...)
Health, ...British American Tobacco has published the protocol for a clinical stu...The study protocol refers to the recipe used to conduct a study des...This study follows a previous study by researchers at British American...The prototype cigarettes used in both studies contained technologies d...,Protocol,for,a,clinical,study,on,reduced,toxicant,prototype,cigarettes,published,medicine,medical news today,latest medical news,medical newsletters,current medical news,latest medicine news
Tobacco Industry - EasyQuit Blog
Certainly no tobacco advertising is concerned with encouraging nonsmokers to start or existing smokers to smoke more and it seems blindingly obvious that, unless you are a smoker, tobacco advertising or sponsorship has absolutely no influence whatsoever in persuading or motivating a purchase. (1986). But according to advertising executive Emerson Foote, former CEO of McCann-Erickson, which has handled millions of dollars in tobacco industry accounts:. The cigarette industry has been artfully maintaining that cigarette advertising has nothing to do with total sales. This is complete and utter nonsense. The industry knows it is nonsense. I am always amused by the suggestion that advertising, a function that has been shown to increase consumption of virtually every other product, somehow miraculously fails to work for tobacco products. (1988). Inadvertently supporting this view is Gareth Davies, chief executive of Imperial Tobacco, who while commenting on a proposed advertising ban in the United ...
Big Tobacco led throat doctors to blow smoke - Healthcanal.com : Healthcanal.com
Using internal documents from tobacco companies from the Legacy Tobacco Document archives, the studys authors reviewed a wealth of correspondence, contracts, marketing plans and payment receipts that shed light on the industrys multifaceted, highly effective campaign.. Jacklers ongoing research into the history of tobacco company advertising has resulted in several published studies on the topic, sparked in part by his collection of thousands of historical cigarette ads exhibited online at http://tobacco.stanford.edu, the originals now donated to the Smithsonian Institution. He also spearheaded a group called the Stanford Research into the Impact of Tobacco Advertising, which analyzes the effects of tobacco advertising, marketing and promotion.. In the new paper, the authors describe how tobacco companies regularly hosted hospitality booths at otolaryngology conventions from which they gave out free cigarettes, sometimes with packs embossed with the doctors names. In major cities all over ...
Multinational corporations and corporate social responsibility: how history, non-governmental organizations and international...
In an increasingly globalized, flatter world, multi-national corporations are currently operating in some of the poorest countries in the world. Focusing on American-based multinational corporations in African countries, this paper examines how businesses can best interact with non-governmental organizations and other influencing bodies to successfully adapt to a changing world. It will explore how public relations affects this delicate, evolving relationship, specifically in the form of corporate social responsibility, and how the success of such a relationship can influence the perceptions and ultimately the business practices of multinational corporations. Finally, it will consider what ethical responsibilities -- if any -- multinational corporations have toward not only their shareholders and consumers, but to all stakeholders, especially those who belong to the populations of the countries in which they operate ...
PPG Wins China Corporate Social Responsibility Award - Coatings World
PPG Industries received the CSR Award - Special Prize for the third consecutive year and was named one of the top 100 Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) companies in China at the 2012 China Social Responsibility Annual Forum in Beijing. The award
All tobacco securitizations are based on the same tobacco industry credit. As a result, you would expect offering circular disclosure to be fairly standardized. To some extent it is. However, almost every day something happens that may require changes or additions to the disclosure; for example, periodic and other filings by tobacco companies with the SEC; litigation by smokers, states, the federal government and foreign jurisdictions against one or more tobacco companies (and judgments in such litigation that could result in bankruptcy of tobacco companies); litigation by nonparticipating tobacco manufacturers and other challenges to the Master Settlement or the Model Statute; federal and state legislative and regulatory changes that may affect cigarette consumption (such as efforts to regulate tobacco as a drug or for certain types of advertising); and challenges by tobacco companies to the amount of tobacco settlement payments they owe (based on claims of inaccurate consumption data or ...
Corporate social responsibility (CSR), the social responsibility of business
This category is about Corporate social responsibility (CSR), a form of corporate self-regulation integrated into a business model.
Dole Food Company Recognized for Corporate Social Responsibility Programs in Costa Rica and Thailand - Press Releases on...
Press Releases get your corporate social responsibility news and information out to journalists, investors, and industry professionals utilizing CSRwires targeted reach.
Corporate social responsibility
Corporate social responsibility JSC «Housing Construction Savings Bank of Kazakhstan has 4 directions: 1. Fair business practice: development of activities for the welfare of society, minimizing social and environmental costs of business development, increasing the efficiency of workplaces; 2. Staff development: attracting highly qualified personnel, creating opportunities for realizing the potential through the use of best practices, investing in the development of personnel; 3. Environmental protection: adherence to the principles of the most careful and rational attitude to the environment; 4. Encouragement of charity and sponsorship: implementation of charitable programs, encouragement of personal contribution to charity. The goal of the CSR Strategy is to establish the fundamental principles and priorities that the Bank adheres to in managing CSR projects. The principles of CSR are: 1. Commitment to the mission, common values and vision of the Bank; 2. Providing high-quality services ...
Bank of America Releases First Corporate Social Responsibility Report - Press Releases on CSRwire.com
Press Releases get your corporate social responsibility news and information out to journalists, investors, and industry professionals utilizing CSRwires targeted reach.
Corporate social responsibility: The financial impact of Black Economic Empowerment transactions in South Africa
ABSTRACT. Corporate social responsibility (CSR) has recently received considerable attention in literature. One of the vehicles by which companies can conform to CSR in South Africa is Black Economic Empowerment (BEE). In this regard, BEE has been employed to assist previously disadvantaged groups of investors obtain a larger share of the equity of South African listed companies. The question has often been asked whether the announcement of BEE transactions by listed companies increases shareholder wealth. This article tries to answer this question by examining the share performance of 125 BEE transactions involving 95 companies during the period January 2002 to July 2006. The results indicate a positive relation between BEE transaction announcements and shareholder wealth creation, but only during the last part of the period covered by the study.. JEL D64, G14, M14. ...
Its Time To Embrace CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) | Cole & Company Inc.
If you are unfamiliar with CSR or corporate social responsibility, you are certainly not alone. In the coming years, youll be hearing a lot about CSR. In this article, well look at CSR and how, when implemented with sincerity, it can positively impact your company and its operation. Building Your CSR Locally One of the […]
Benchmarking of corporate social responsibility: Methodological problems and robustness - Munich Personal RePEc Archive
Anderson, E.: 1993, Value in Ethics and Economics (Harvard University Press, Cambridge/London). Chryssides, G. and J.H. Kaler: 1993, An introduction to business ethics (Chapman & Hall, London). Erp, H. van: 2000, Moraal geluk en verantwoordelijkheid (Van Gorcum, Assen). Eijffinger, S.C.W. and P.M. Geraats: 2002, How transparent are central banks?, CEPR Discussion Paper, Centre for Economic Policy Research, London.. Graafland, Johan J.: 2002, Modelling the trade off between profits and principles, De Economist 150, 129-54. Graafland, J.J.. B.W. van de Ven and N. Stoffele: 2002, Wat betekent maatschappelijk ondernemen concreet?, University of Tilburg, www.uvt.nl/wijsbegeerte/cmo. Graafland, J.J.. B.W. van de Ven and N. Stoffele: 2003, Strategies and instruments for organising CSR by small and large business in the Netherlands, Journal of Business Ethics 47, 33, 45-60. Graafland, J.J., S.C.W.Eijffinger, N.C.G.M. Stoffele, H.Smid and A.M. Coldeweijer, 2003 Corporate social responsibility of ...
Corporate Social Responsibility 2.0 | 3BL Media
Last month, the Seattle Times kicked off a four-part critical series about locally-based Amazon with an expose on the companys lack of organized philanthropy in the community. The meme is not new--weve seen similar critique emerge about Apple in the wake of Steve Jobs death and the Foxconn scandal. What was surprising was the backlash to the criticism reflected in the comments about the article on SeattleTimes.com. Here at Waggener Edstrom, it caused us to wonder: has the American public changed its expectations for corporate social responsibility?. Next week, two conferences go head-to-head on the topic of corporate support for public good. In Chicago, the Cause Marketing Forum (CMF) will celebrate its 10th anniversary covering the intersection of commerce and cause. In New York, the Social Innovation Summit will hold its 3rd semi-annual invitation-only networking event focused on public-private partnerships.. At first blush, it might seem surprising that two events with such overlap in ...
Wikiquote has quotations related to Tobacco industry. UCSF Tobacco Industry Videos Collection UCSF Tobacco Industry Audio ... According to the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, the "tobacco industry" encompasses tobacco manufacturers, ... of commercial tobacco in the United States Nicotine marketing Smoking bans Snus Tobacco industry in Argentina Tobacco industry ... and distribution of tobacco and tobacco-related products. It is a global industry; tobacco can grow in any warm, moist ...
Tobacco industry playbook
The tobacco industry playbook, tobacco strategy or simply disinformation playbook describes a strategy devised by the tobacco ... s Flawed Concussion Research and Ties to Tobacco Industry". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-04-09. "Tobacco ... and concerned about mounting pressure to act on environmental tobacco smoke (ETS), the tobacco industry actively recruited ... "How the Vaping Industry Is Using a Defensive Tactic Pioneered Decades Ago by Big Tobacco". Retrieved 2020-04-09. Bloomberg, ...
Truth Tobacco Industry Documents
... (formerly known as Legacy Tobacco Documents Library) is a digital archive of tobacco industry ... Official site UCSF Tobacco Industry Videos Collection UCSF Tobacco Industry Audio Recordings Collection British American ... and hosting internal tobacco industry documents in 1995 as part of wider efforts to make public what the tobacco industry had ... American Tobacco Brown & Williamson Council for Tobacco Research Lorillard Philip Morris R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Institute ...
Tobacco industry in Argentina
The tobacco industry of Argentina produced 157,294 tonnes of tobacco in the 2003-2004 harvest, most of which (93,327 tonnes) ... CS1 errors: missing periodical, Tobacco in Argentina, Agriculture in Argentina, Tobacco industry by country). ... The tobacco industry is dominated by two transnational companies: Massalin Particulares S.A. (a subsidiary of Philip Morris ... The Argentine tobacco industry employs 500,000 people, about half of them directly involved in the planting and harvesting, ...
Tobacco industry in Pakistan
v t e (Industries of Pakistan, Tobacco industry by country, Tobacco in Pakistan, Economy of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, All stub ... Tobacco industry in Pakistan is a major employment provider in farming, manufacturing, distribution, and retail in Pakistan. ... One notable company which uses tobacco in Pakistan to manufacture cigarettes (amd other products) is Pakistan Tobacco Company ... "Swabi tobacco growers turn to vegetable farming". DAWN.COM. Khan, Mubarak Zeb (December 19, 2016). "Shrinking tobacco ...
Tobacco industry in Malawi
These two Malawi-based companies sell tobacco leaf to British American Tobacco, Imperial Tobacco, Japan Tobacco and Philip ... The tobacco industry promotes the idea that tobacco brings wealth to the small landowners and Malawians, when in actuality it ... The industry has supported and encouraged these beliefs. Compared to other industries, tobacco has one of the more developed ... The 1970s marked several changes for the tobacco industry in Malawi that would have a lasting effect on the industry today. ...
Swedish Tobacco Industry Workers' Union
The Swedish Tobacco Industry Workers' Union (Swedish: Svenska Tobaksindustriarbetareförbundet, Tobaks) was a trade union ... Tobacco industry trade unions, Trade unions in Sweden, Trade unions established in 1889, Trade unions disestablished in 1964). ... It became the International Tobacco Workers' Union of Sweden in 1899, around the time that it affiliated to the Swedish Trade ... The union was founded in Stockholm on 1 December 1889, as the Scandinavian Tobacco Workers' Union of Sweden with about 1,000 ...
General Dutch Industrial Union of the Tobacco Industry
The General Dutch Industrial Union of the Tobacco Industry (Dutch: Algemene Nederlandse Bedrijfsbond voor de Tabakverwerking ... Articles containing Dutch-language text, Tobacco industry trade unions, Trade unions established in 1887, Trade unions ... From the 1930s, mechanisation led to job loses in the industry. The union campaigned for a law against the use of machinery, ... New, local, unions of tobacco workers were established, and on 25 December 1887, they formed the Dutch Cigar Makers' and ...
Italian Federation of Sugar, Food Industry and Tobacco Workers
Food Industry and Tobacco Workers (Italian: Federazione Italiana Lavoratori Zuccheriero Industria Alimentare e Tabacco, FILZIAT ... when the Italian Federation of Food Industry Workers merged with the Italian Federation of Sugar and Alcohol Industry Employees ... and the National Union of Tobacco. Like all its predecessors, it affiliated to the Italian General Confederation of Labour. By ...
World Federation of Workers in Food, Drink, Tobacco and Hotel Industries
Tobacco and Hotel Industries (French: Fédération mondiale de travailleurs des industries alimentaires, du tabac et hôtelière, ... "World Federation of Workers in Food, Tobacco and Hotel Industries - WCL (WFFTH-WCL)". UIA Open Yearbook. Retrieved 9 April 2020 ... Initially named the International Christian Federation of Food, Drink, Tobacco and Hotel Workers, the federation was a merger ... FMATH) was a global union federation bringing together unions representing workers in food and service industries. The ...
Trade Union International of Food, Tobacco, Hotel and Allied Industries Workers
Its original name was the Trade Union International of Food, Tobacco and Beverage Industries, and Hotel, Cafe and Restaurant ... The Trade Union International of Food, Tobacco, Hotel and Allied Industries Workers was a trade union international affiliated ... Tobacco, Hotel and Allied Industries Workers, Trade Union International of Workers in Commerce, Trade Union International of ... In 1997 the Trade Union International of Agroalimentary, Food, Commerce, Textile & Allied Industries was formed by the merger ...
National Committee of the Chinese Financial, Commercial, Light Industry, Textile and Tobacco Workers' Union
The National Committee of the Chinese Financial, Commercial, Light Industry, Textile and Tobacco Workers' Union is a national ...
Bull Durham Smoking Tobacco
The expansion of the tobacco industry gave rise to the need for a cotton industry and tobacco bag making companies, such as the ... Tobacco History Corporation Inc. Roberts, Ben. "Inventions in the Tobacco Industry." Tar Heel Junior Historian. Pg. 46. Fall ... Bull Durham Smoking Tobacco, also known as "Genuine Bull Durham Smoking Tobacco," was a brand of loose-leaf tobacco ... Blackwell's Durham Tobacco / American Tobacco Co. March 24, 2008. Accessed November 4, 2013. Cameron, JD. A Sketch of Tobacco ...
... is a name used to refer to the largest companies in the tobacco industry. According to the World Medical Journal, ... the five largest tobacco companies are: Philip Morris International, British American Tobacco, Imperial Brands, Japan Tobacco ... Lee, Ruth (January 2020). "The FCTC and Tobacco Industry". World Medical Journal. 66 (1): 11-13. Further reading Estes, Jim (6 ... External links Big Tobacco Manufacturers Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids TheTruth.com Master Settlement Agreement v t e (Use dmy ...
They also wished to entirely disrupt the tobacco industry because the colonists used the tobacco trade to fund their war effort ... "1730 - 1985 Petersburg's Tobacco Industry". Historic Petersburg Foundation. 6 November 2017. Retrieved 17 September 2020. ... tobacco. About 10,000 hogsheads of cured tobacco leaf were destroyed by the British. Each hogshead weighed about 1,000 lb (450 ... The Tobacco War (1780-1781) occurred during the American Revolutionary War in Virginia when the British forces commanded by ...
Tobacco industries formed the Tobacco Institute, a trade association that acted as a lobby for tobacco industries in Congress. ... The tobacco industry and some bureaucratic institutions oppose anti-smoking measures. In China, the tobacco industry is heavily ... In addition, these tobacco industries formed the Tobacco Industry Research Committee (TIRC), which challenged the science of ... Tobacco Institute Documents-Part of Master Settlement Agreement UCSF Tobacco Industry Videos Collection UCSF Tobacco Industry ...
World No Tobacco Day
Growing up without tobacco, The Industry Response. PDF Version The Environmental Action Network. 2002. Tobacco Industry Tactics ... 2018 Tobacco Breaks Hearts brochure World No Tobacco Day 2019 World No Tobacco Day 2020 World No Tobacco Day 2021 According to ... World No Tobacco Days have not induced a positive vocal response from the tobacco industry. For example, a memo made publicly ... Globalisation of tobacco industry influence and new global response. Archived 3 December 2010 at the Wayback Machine Tobacco ...
Timeline of tobacco history UCSF Tobacco Industry Videos Collection TobReg - WHO Study Group on Tobacco Product Regulation - ... Pipe tobacco, chewing tobacco, and snuff are fire-cured. Flue-cured tobacco was originally strung onto tobacco sticks, which ... Major tobacco companies have encouraged global tobacco production. Philip Morris, British American Tobacco, and Japan Tobacco ... Tobacco dust can be used similarly. It is produced by boiling strong tobacco in water, or by steeping the tobacco in water for ...
Health effects of tobacco
... from tobacco use per year outnumber the number of workers employed in the tobacco industry by 4 to 1. According to a 2014 ... India has highest tobacco chewing population in the world. 154 people die every hour in India due to tobacco. Tobacco use most ... had a close affiliation to the tobacco industry. Researchers without tobacco lobby influence have concluded the complete ... The tobacco industry spends up to $12.5 billion annually on advertising, which is increasingly geared towards adolescents in ...
Tobacco (Last Week Tonight with John Oliver)
"Tobacco" is a segment of the HBO news satire television series Last Week Tonight with John Oliver about the tobacco industry. ... "Tobacco", an eighteen-minute segment about the tobacco industry, was delivered by John Oliver on February 15, 2015, during the ... Tobacco (HBO) on YouTube Banks, Alicia (February 16, 2015). "John Oliver Smokes the Tobacco Industry with Diseased-Lung Mascot ... Australia Prevalence of tobacco consumption Tobacco in the United States Tobacco marketing targeting African Americans Tobacco ...
Brown Brothers Tobacco Company
Jacobstein, Meyer (1907). The Tobacco Industry in the United States. Columbia University. p. 371. Bureau of Labor Annual Report ... Tobacco Leaf (Vol XL No. 38 ed.). 30 September 1903. p. 22. New Cigar Factory for Detroit (Vol XXXI No. 4 ed.). The Tobacco ... "Will fight the tobacco trust". Benton Harbor, MI. News-Palladium. 8 January 1903. Tobacco Leaf (Vol 44. No 2,200 ed.). 24 April ... United States Tobacco Journal (Vol 81 ed.). New York. 31 January 1914. United States Tobacco Journal (Vol. 81 ed.). New York. ...
Philippine Tobacco Institute
Tobacco industry in the Philippines, Tobacco industry associations, Trade associations based in the Philippines, Tobacco in the ... Alechnowicz, K.; Chapman, S. (2004). "The Philippine tobacco industry: "the strongest tobacco lobby in Asia"". Tobacco Control ... It represents, expresses and effects the opinions of the tobacco industry in the Philippines. The Philippine Tobacco Institute ... Since 2007, eleven legal cases have been filed by the tobacco industry against proposed government oversight; the courts have ...
Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco
SRNT does not accept funding from the tobacco industry. The organization does accept funding from pharmaceutical companies that ... SRNT has been particularly active in work on the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control and the Tobacco Master Settlement ... Tobacco Research and related professions." The society and its members have also been involved in the current debate on tobacco ... Work from SRNT members was noted in public discussion leading up to the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act in ...
Southerners dominated the tobacco industry in the United States. So much so that a concern as large as the Helme Tobacco ... Chewing tobacco is a type of smokeless tobacco product that is placed between the cheek and lower gum to draw out its flavor. ... Plug chewing tobacco is tobacco leaves pressed into a square, brick-like mass called a plug. From this, pieces are bitten off ... Chewing tobacco is a source of nicotine. Chewing is one of the oldest methods of consuming tobacco. Indigenous peoples of the ...
British American Tobacco
... a review of tobacco industry activity". Tobacco Control. 18 (3): 206-211. doi:10.1136/tc.2009.030601. PMC 2679188. PMID ... The three largest Canadian tobacco companies, Imperial Tobacco Canada (a division of British American Tobacco), JTI-Macdonald ... Tobacco companies of the United Kingdom, American Tobacco Company, Formula One team owners, Tobacco brands). ... Industry documents from the 1970s to the late 1990s shows that tobacco companies were seriously concerned about fatwas against ...
Tobacco in Alabama
"The Toll of Tobacco in Alabama". Tobacco Free Kids. "Letter: Youth remain targets of tobacco industry -smokeless or not". oanow ... "New Frontiers For Tobacco Control". State Tobacco Activities Tracking and Evaluation System. "The Toll of Tobacco in Alabama". ... Simpson, David (2003). "Tobacco: Public Perceptions and the Role of the Industry". Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. ... "Letter: Youth remain targets of tobacco industry- smokeless or not". oanow.com. Wolfson, Hannah. "American Lung Association: ...
Tobacco Control (journal)
... the ethical dimensions of tobacco control policies; and the activities of the tobacco industry and its allies. It was ... Tobacco Control is an international peer-reviewed journal covering the nature and consequences of tobacco use worldwide; ... "Tobacco Control". 2017 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2018. "Ronald M. Davis, MD". ... tobacco's effects on population health, the economy, the environment, and society; efforts to prevent and control the global ...
Truth (anti-tobacco campaign)
truth produces television and digital content to encourage teens to reject tobacco and to unite against the tobacco industry. ... tobacco] industry and portrayed its executives as predatory, profit hungry, and manipulative." The ads re-framed tobacco as an ... truth was the only national youth tobacco prevention campaign not sponsored by the tobacco industry. In August 2014, truth ... The grassroots effort of the campaign involved real teenagers taking on the tobacco industry as part of the 13-day "Truth Train ...
Tobacco Kiln, Oak Valley
With the tobacco industry in decline after 1932, it is unlikely that the kiln was built much later than this. The bricks used ... The Townsville tobacco industry did have some positive impact on the district. It was one of the major reasons for the ... The kiln at 12 Chisholm Trail stands as a reminder of the tobacco industry of the 1930s. Though short-lived, it was an ... The tobacco kiln, constructed c. 1933, is important physical evidence of an agricultural industry developed in response to ...
WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control
Unable to argue against the overwhelming scientific evidence about tobacco's harmful health effects, the tobacco industry ... 2008). "Tobacco Farmers and Tobacco Manufacturers: Implications for Tobacco Control in Tobacco-Growing Developing Countries". ... List of smoking bans MPOWER tobacco control Nicotine marketing Protocol to Eliminate Illicit Trade in Tobacco Products Tobacco ... Official website Institute for Global Tobacco Control GLOBALink Tobacco Control, The International Tobacco Control Community ( ...
... then at Gale's Oneida Institute of Science and Industry from its opening in 1827 through 1830. When he left Oneida, he was ... as well as guns and chewing tobacco) in the colonies that became Liberia. He commented on it in the Society's African ...
Louise "Mamma" Harris
Janiewski, Dolores (1987). "Seeking 'a New Day and a New Way': Black Workers and Unions in the Southern Tobacco Industry". In ... "Black Women Raise Their Voices in the Tobacco Industry". American Postal Workers Union. 2019-05-28. Retrieved 2020-02-07. ... Harris started working at the I.N. Vaughan Export tobacco stemmery around 1932. Harris worked as a tobacco stemmer, which was a ... The success of the strike led to the CIO creating the Tobacco Workers Organizing Committee, which Harris was involved in. Due ...
Australian constitutional law
North Eastern Dairy Co Ltd v Dairy Industry Authority of NSW  HCA 45, (1975) 134CLR 559. Cole v Whitfield  HCA 18 ... tobacco retailing, and petrol distribution. In 1997, by a bare majority, the High Court decided that this area of doctrinal ... However, a purely intrastate aviation industry is no longer economically feasible and separate systems of state regulation pose ... particularly liquor and tobacco products. These "franchise fees" were mostly calculated according to the value of the ...
Fifth Street Historic District
Two examples of tobacco warehouses from the 19th century remain in the district. R.E. Gist's Plug and Twist Tobacco Factory ( ... Newer industries in the area, including cotton mills and shoe factories, only employed white laborers (due to necessity if for ... At the time, it was said that no other business or industry in Lynchburg had hired black women, who, up until this point, were ... His son, Richard, later wrote that he "went to visit my father once at the Tobacco Factory on Fourth Street…His boss cursed and ...
... in the fashion industry. In 2002, 80% of the capital in the Bulgarian State-owned tobacco company, Bulgartabac, was placed on ... He is known for his significant role in the 1990s aluminium industry in Russia, and his business ventures in Israel. He is also ... in the coal industry and Sergei Popov, who is with the Podolskaya OPG (Russian: Подольская ОПГ), ...
He sold tea, sugar, chocolate, and tobacco. He operated the largest coal mines in the area, and was a leading salt producer. As ... A worldwide industry of wire-drawing resulted. The submarine telegraph cable received its definitive form through Newall's ...
Boyle, Louise (22 February 2022). "US meat industry using 235m pounds of pesticides a year, threatening thousands of at-risk ... Agroforestry Systems 56: 249-257 "Tobacco , Land & Water , Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations , Land & ... with the meat industry playing a significant role in this process. Around 25% of earth's ice-free land is used for cattle ...
The Christians had established a successful handcrafts industry. The villages main crop was tobacco. There was a tobacco ... and above all its tobacco". Victor Guérin, who visited in 1875, found that Tarshiha "consists of four quarters, under the ...
Rottmann's father was a German tobacco manufacturer. H. L. Rottmann had earlier completed his education in commerce in Hamburg ... selling goods and building materials for the local burgeoning construction industry: ropes, wires, hammers, saws, nails, bolts ...
Amadeo Barletta Barletta
In Dominican Republic he engaged in the tobacco business, breaking Trujillo's monopoly with a U.S.A. company. In 1935 Trujillo ... People in the automobile industry, Italian emigrants to the Dominican Republic, 20th-century Dominican Republic businesspeople ... Trujillo cancelled his consular credentials by a decree and confiscated his properties and his Tobacco Company. Benito ...
Politicization of science
... but the tobacco industry fought the findings, both in the public eye and within the scientific community. Tobacco companies ... attorneys or spokespeople for the industries they oversee." At least 20 of these former industry advocates helped their ... Input from the industry advocacy group Global Climate Coalition was also a factor. In 2006, Guardian columnist George Monbiot ... John Horgan, notes a rhetoric tactic that has been used by tobacco companies. It is summarized in a line that appeared in a ...
Harold Hitz Burton
In American Tobacco Co. v. United States, 328 U.S. 781 (1946), Burton wrote for a near-unanimous court (Justice Rutledge had ... He worked on issues of continuing assimilation of immigrant populations, supporting industry in the city, and dealing with ...
"British album certifications - Mark Knopfler - Tracker". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 31 January 2017.Select albums ... "predictable whiff of whiskey and rolling tobacco" about the effort. While Carnwarth notes Knopfler's inconsistency as a ... Polish Society of the Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 31 January 2017. "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards ...
James Marmion Gilmor Carroll
... Tobacco industry in Tullamore (Articles needing additional references from January 2021, All ... once Ireland's oldest tobacco manufacturer and now a subsidiary of British American Tobacco plc) and of T. P. & R Goodbody ( ... 1929) Ltd., another Irish tobacco company, itself a subsidiary of Carroll's. Knight of Honour and Devotion of the Sovereign ...
Laura Layden (August 14, 2005). "One year later: Growing optimism: Ag industry recovering". Naples Daily News. Archived from ... of the tobacco crop lost and 30% of the corn and vegetable fields destroyed. Strong winds downed trees and power lines, leaving ... Numerous hotels reported damage, potentially impacting the important tourism industry in the country. Agricultural damage was ...
Economy of Karnataka
Other heavy industries such as National Aerospace Laboratories, Indian Telephone Industries, Bharat Earth Movers Limited, ... Cashews, coconut, arecanut, cardamom, chillies, cotton, sugarcane and tobacco are also produced. Karnataka is the largest ... "The Mineral Industry of India" (PDF). Online Webpage of the U.S. Geological Survey. U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 5 June ... A majority of the thirty-five billion rupee silk industry in India is headquartered in Karnataka State, primarily in Mysore and ...
The video game industry has been booming in Montreal since November 2, 1995, coinciding with the opening of Ubisoft Montreal. ... tobacco, petrochemicals, and transportation. The service sector is also strong and includes civil, mechanical and process ... Relatively new to the video game industry, it will be Warner Bros. first studio opened, not purchased, and will develop games ... Montreal is Canada's second-largest media market, and the centre of francophone Canada's media industry. There are four over- ...
Waldo, British Columbia
Carried nearly to Tobacco Plains, the ferry landed on a small island 11 kilometres (7 mi) downriver. By 1910, a rickety ... www.open.library.ubc.ca (MA). Lawrence, Joseph Collins (1957). Markets and capital: a history of the lumber industry of British ... With the end of the lumber industry, the community struggled, relying upon agriculture. The success of ranching during the ...
Timeline of Jersey City, New Jersey
Lorillard Tobacco Company relocates to Jersey City. 1872 - Law Library Association founded. 1872- Saint Peter's College founded ... Richard Edwards (1882), "Jersey City", Industries of New Jersey, vol. 6: Hudson, Passaic and Bergen Counties, New York: ... Walter Gregory Muirheid (1910), Jersey City of To-Day: its history, people, trades, commerce, institutions & industries, OL ...
Arthur Henry Neumann
Here they found government land suitable for the growing of tobacco and cotton. However, Arthur failed to settle and headed in ... coffee planter near Port Natal shortly before the deadly Borer Beetle infected the growth and decimated the fledgling industry ...
He was known for his trademark cheek full of tobacco and hard-nosed play. With the Phillies, Dykstra's career was marked by ... at the Wayback Machine Now Lenny Dykstra Takes On Insurance Industry Archived June 12, 2011, at the Wayback Machine, CNBC.com ...
However, research has shown potential growth in business and small scale industries with local skill from people. Singida has a ... Some of the cash crops include sunflower, cotton, tobacco, wheat, beans, groundnuts, peas, and onions. The grazing area in ... Besides Agriculture, other main productive sectors include, livestock, natural resources, mining industry and trade. The main ...
Representatives from several industries gathered in the city, and called for a more competitive business environment ( ... while further increasing health spending and introducing taxes on tobacco and liquor. To avoid going into deficit, Cline was ... Cline, once again re-elected without difficulty, was appointed to a restructured Ministry of Industry and Resources while ... and Industry and Resources. On December 15, 2006, Cline announced his intention to not run in the 2007 election. He continued ...
"Nashville Music Industry: Impact, Contribution and Cluster Analysis" (PDF). Recording Industry Association of America. ... Soybeans and tobacco are grown throughout Middle Tennessee, and beef cattle is raised throughout the region. Middle Tennessee ... Nashville's music industry is estimated to have a total economic impact of about $10 billion per year and to contribute ... The largest service industry in Middle Tennessee is healthcare. More than 300 healthcare firms are based in the Nashville area ...
"Tobacco industry efforts at discrediting scientific knowledge of environmental tobacco smoke: a review of internal industry ... He acted on behalf of the tobacco industry amongst others and was prominent in criticising the evidence related to the claimed ... In mid 1996 Luik was hired by the Australian tobacco industry to 'criss-cross the country' promoting his book Smokescreen: ... Luik became a Senior Fellow at the Democracy Institute, where amongst other subjects he continued to work on tobacco. A 2006 ...
Heber J. Grant
During the early 1900s, general authorities differed in their observance of the proscription against beer, wine, tobacco, ... industry, thrift and self-respect be once more established amongst our people. The aim of the Church is to help the people help ... Businesspeople in the sugar industry, Burials at Salt Lake City Cemetery, Counselors in the General Presidency of the Young Men ...
History of auto racing
Brooklands was also a centre of the aviation industry, with Vickers setting up a factory and aerodrome there during World War I ... From 1972 through 2003, NASCAR's premier series was called the Winston Cup Series, sponsored by R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company ...
Waitt & Bond
... a longtime tobacco executive who had most recently served as head of the tobacco section of the War Production Board, was ... "Can the Cigar Come Back?: A Great Industry in Process of Evolution". Barron's. April 21, 1924. Cooper, Patricia Ann (1987). ... "Porto Rican American Tobacco". The Wall Street Journal. September 9, 1939. "Named as President Of Waitt & Bond, Inc". The New ... From 1929 to 1939, Waitt & Bond was a subsidiary of Porto Rican American Tobacco. In 1943, Waterman died and Harley W. ...
Italian Federation of Food Industry Workers
In 1960,the union merged with the Italian Federation of Sugar and Alcohol Industry Employees and the National Union of Tobacco ... Food Industry and Tobacco Workers. 1944: Giovanni Tabili 1951: Gaetano Invernizzi 1954: Spero Ghedini 1981: Peppino Dall'Aglio ... In 1947, it became the "Italian Federation of Food Industry Workers". By 1955, the union had about 109,486 members. ... The Italian Federation of Food Industry Workers (Italian: Federazione Italiana Lavoratori Industrie Alimentari, FILIA) was a ...
Tobacco Industry Marketing | CDC
Data and statistical information on how the tobacco industry markets their products. ... Women are also targeted by the tobacco industry, and tobacco companies continue to produce brands specifically for women. ... The tobacco industry has targeted African American communities in its advertisements and promotional efforts for menthol ... Menthol Tobacco Productsplus icon*Menthol Tobacco Products are a Public Health Problem ...
Jordan Tobacco industry profile
Djibouti Tobacco industry profile
Morocco Tobacco industry profile
WHO EMRO - STOP Tobacco Industry
The tobacco industry aims to defeat or weaken evidence-based tobacco control policies. When it fails to succeed, the tobacco ... Selling addiction: The Tobacco industrys transition to new products. *The tobacco industry: decades of deception and duplicity ... Tobacco industry tactics. Whether selling its new products or traditional cigarettes, the tobacco industry uses the same ... Tobacco industry interference has been particularly strong against efforts to increase tobacco taxes. The industry aims to ...
Tooth decay: sugar industry 'behaved like tobacco manufacturers
Undue influence by the sugar industry on US dental health policy has been alleged as part of an investigation into insider ... "Actions taken by the sugar industry to impact the NIDRs NCP research priorities, which echo those of the tobacco industry, ... Having noted that, in the case of the tobacco industry, reviews of historical internal documents were "key to informing policy ... The sugar industrys responses in the 1960s, about dental health science, raise questions about how it continues to respond, ...
The UK Tobacco Industry Interference Index 2021 Policy Brief
New tobacco industry strategy to prevent local tobacco control
We examined the tobacco industrys new strategy to defeat and then repeal tobacco control ordinances in California and the ... New tobacco industry strategy to prevent local tobacco control JAMA. 1993 Jul 28;270(4):479-86. ... We examined the tobacco industrys new strategy to defeat and then repeal tobacco control ordinances in California and the ... Although the tobacco industrys new strategy has hindered the passage of some local tobacco control ordinances, when health ...
O'Mahoney cartoon: On the tobacco industry
All news about Tobacco Industry | Euronews
Soda Industry Using Tobacco Industry PR Strategies | PR Watch
Manufacturers of sugar-laden drinks are adopting Big Tobaccos public relations strategies in response to government proposals ... Soda Industry Using Tobacco Industry PR Strategies. Submitted by Anne Landman on February 19, 2010 - 1:45pm. ... Speaking on behalf of Pepsico, Yach applies the tobacco industry strategy of linking the originally-proposed action to a fear- ... They are also employing spokespeople who are well-versed in tobacco industry strategies. Derek Yach, now senior vice president ...
Tobacco Pipe Market 2018 Global Industry SWOT Analysis
Scandinavian Tobacco, Nording Pipes - published on openPR.com ... Tobacco Pipe Market 2018 Global Industry SWOT Analysis by ... Tobacco Pipe Market 2018 Global Industry SWOT Analysis by Players - Brigham Pipes, Kirsten, Scandinavian Tobacco, Nording Pipes ... It is an extensive research report on global Tobacco Pipe industry.. About Gen Market Insights:. Gen Market Insights delivers ... Estimate and analyze the market size of Tobacco Pipe industry with respect to value and volume.. Categorize the Global ...
FDA Ban on Menthol is Likely to Survive Tobacco Industry Lawsuits
A proposed ban of menthol combustible tobacco products by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will likely be upheld in ... FDA Ban on Menthol is Likely to Survive Tobacco Industry Lawsuits. The FDAs plan to ban menthol cigarettes has the potential ... Menthol cigarettes are particularly nefarious because the tobacco industry designed them as starter products that mask the ... The research, conducted by the Rutgers School of Public Health Center for Tobacco Studies, anticipates arguments the tobacco ...
Poland: employment in SMEs operating in the tobacco industry 2020 | Statista
The number of employees in Polands small and medium-sized enterprises operating in the tobacco industry amounted to 0.6 ... Industry revenue of "manufacture of tobacco products" in Spain 2012-2025. *Industry revenue of "manufacture of tobacco products ... Industry revenue of "manufacture of tobacco products" in Greece 2012-2025. *Industry revenue of "manufacture of tobacco ... Industry revenue of "manufacture of tobacco products" in Greece 2012-2025. *Industry revenue of "manufacture of tobacco ...
Industry Watch - Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids
Through our Industry Watch project, the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids seeks to hold the tobacco industry accountable. We ... Tobaccos terrible toll is no accident. It is caused directly by the tobacco industrys insidious and even illegal practices. ... Governments around the world must stand up to the tobacco industry and enact proven solutions that reduce tobacco use and save ... Heated Tobacco Products. *Big Tobacco, Tiny Targets: Tobacco Companies are Targeting Kids Near Schools in Countries Around the ...
Explosives Industry Newsletter December 2012 | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
... Dodged a Big Bullet. While the tobacco industry dodged a big bullet with the Florida Supreme Courts decision ... Tagged With: marketing cigarettes, tobacco industry. Florida tobacco cases could go on for years, experts say. Posted: February ... Tagged With: Light Cigarette, Philip Morris, tobacco industry, ultra-light. EU Court Upholds Ban on Cigarette Terms. Posted: ... the tobacco industrys dirty little secrets If you can bear to look, youll soon see the smoke cleared around another of the ...
Documents Show Tobacco Industry Conspired Against Airline Smoking Ban
... tells how the German cigarette industry worked to stop ... An analysis of tobacco industry documents published in the ... PR Watch , An analysis of tobacco industry documents published in the British Medical Journal (BMJ) tells how the German ... Home Contributions & Guests Documents Show Tobacco Industry Conspired Against Airline Smoking Ban ... Documents also reveal that German tobacco companies worked to keep cigarette vending machines accessible to children, stop ...
WHO Warns of Tobacco Industry's Environmental Damage
tobacco industry - News, Research and Analysis - The Conversation - page 1
Browse tobacco industry news, research and analysis from The Conversation ... Articles on tobacco industry. Displaying all articles. Getty Images November 8, 2022 Forget tobacco industry arguments about ... The tobacco industry plays price games to make it even tougher to quit smoking. J. Robert Branston, University of Bath; Anna ... tobacco taxation Top contributors. * Anna Gilmore Professor of Public Health/Director, Tobacco Control Research Group, ...
Tobacco Taster Kit in Black Anodized Aluminum at Penn State Industries
AXA Tobacco Divestment: Why The Insurer Is Ditching A Thriving Industry, Amid Broader Debate Over Socially Responsible Investing
The insurance companys planned move is part of a debate over investments in an industry widely lambasted as profiting from an ... 2 billion in holdings in the tobacco industry. Above, Pall Mall cigarettes in the British American Tobacco cigarette factory in ... "For a sunset industry, tobaccos recent performance has been stellar," Felsted added. So, she wondered, "What took the insurer ... "It makes no sense for us to continue our investments within the tobacco industry," Thomas Buberl, AXAs deputy CEO, said in a ...
Why Tobacco Industry Giants Backed Raising The Minimum Age Of Purchase | KUNC
Health advocates worry it guards the industry from further sweeping regulations. ... Archival tobacco industry documents show why the companies objected, says Stan Glantz, the director of University of California ... Since the beginning of the Tobacco 21 movement, the industry landscape has changed considerably. Now millions of teens are ... something the industry has fought. University of Virginia historian Sarah Milov, who wrote a book about tobacco, says the big ...
Tobacco Industry has launched campaign to mislead government, evade taxes - Pakistan Observer
Pakistan National Heart Association General Secretary and Director Operations Sana Ullah Ghumman said that tobacco ... Tobacco Industry has launched campaign to mislead government, evade taxes % ... so that more people can become targets of the tobacco industry.. They said that the tobacco industry says that Pakistan is ... The tobacco industry has launched a Better Pakistan campaign to mislead the younger generation and the government, ...
Internal documents reveal tobacco industry strategy to undermine unwelcome research
... according to an analysis of internal tobacco industry documents by researchers at the University of California, San Francisco ( ... Philip Morris tobacco company launched a hidden campaign in the 1990s to change the standards of scientific proof needed to ... Internal documents reveal tobacco industry strategy to undermine unwelcome research. November 01, 2001. Philip Morris tobacco ... The tobacco industry strategy involved a seemingly noble calling for "sound science", while rejecting so-called "junk science" ...
'Tobacco industry has potential to earn US$5bn' - Zimbabwe...
Zimbabwe could quintuple earnings from tobacco by promoting research, development and innovation in the tobacco industry to ... Source: Tobacco industry has potential to earn US$5bn , The Herald. Villagers of Machiki Irrigation Scheme which is in the ... Tobacco industry has potential to earn US$5bn. 0 March 5, 2021 11:05 AM ... tobacco fields and seed potato facilities.. He said Zimbabwe produced six percent of the world tobacco and getting US$1,65 ...
A discussion of the tobacco industry's exploitation of "smoke-free" Olympic Games - Scope
... discusses the tobacco industrys motivation for aligning itself with the Olympic Games, how the IOCs tobacco-free policy ... A discussion of the tobacco industrys exploitation of "smoke-free" Olympic Games. Author Lia SteakleyPublished on August 6, ... The tobacco industry has long sought to affiliate its products with cherished and admired cultural icons such as sports heroes ... It may surprise you to learn, as it did me, that the tobacco industry and the Olympic Games have a long history stretching back ...
Flavored tobacco productsSmokeless tobaccoExamined the tobacco industry'sCigaretteSmokers2018CigarettesNicotineCompanies2017World Health Organ20222021ProductsControlConsumptionExposureBritish AmericaCampaignInitiativeTactics2020Effects of tobaccoMentholIllicit tobacco tradeMajor tobaccoSecondhand smokeDifferent tobaccoCampaignsAlcoholReduce tobaccoIndustry's dirtySmoke2000HealthLegislationDeadlyCessationTies to the tobacco industryDecadesOrganizations1980sPhilip MorrisPrevalence170,000 peopleResearchersPromotionalSearchAnti-tobaccoChina'sPracticesSponsorshipTobacco'sInterferenceCentersFirmsFarmersPreventionCigarsCannabisWeakenEpidemicBeverageResearchAccountable2001Succeeds
Flavored tobacco products4
- In the meanwhile, local jurisdictions like San Francisco have banned the sale of menthol and other flavored tobacco products. (newswise.com)
- I'm so grateful that our town has banned the sale of flavored tobacco products. (flowbikini.com)
- which prohibits retailers, including their employees or agents from selling, offering, or possessing with the intent to sell, most flavored tobacco products, including flavored cigarettes and e-cigarettes, as well as tobacco product flavor enhancers. (ca.gov)
- They also highlight the role flavored tobacco products, including menthol, have played in starting to use tobacco and becoming addicted to it. (cdc.gov)
- Cigarette and smokeless tobacco companies spend billions of dollars each year to market their products. (cdc.gov)
- In 2019, the largest cigarette and smokeless tobacco companies spent $8.2 billion on advertising and promotional expenses in the United States alone. (cdc.gov)
- The five major U.S. smokeless tobacco manufacturers spent $576.1 million on smokeless tobacco advertising and promotion in 2019. (cdc.gov)
- Products like cigarettes, smokeless tobacco and e-cigarettes also add to the build-up of plastic pollution. (environewsnigeria.com)
- Some kids have turned to smokeless tobacco or electronic cigarettes . (medlineplus.gov)
- Smokeless tobacco ("chew") is addictive and has almost 30 cancer-causing chemicals. (medlineplus.gov)
- Since 1964, substantial changes have occurred in scientific knowledge of the health consequences of smoking and smokeless tobacco use. (cdc.gov)
- The onset of tobacco use occurs primarily in early adolescence, a developmental stage that is several decades removed from the death and disability that are associated with smoking and smokeless tobacco use in adulthood. (cdc.gov)
- Preventing smoking and smokeless tobacco use among young people is critical to ending the epidemic of tobacco use in the United States. (cdc.gov)
- CNS): The Smokeless Tobacco Association, the All India Kattha Factories Association and the Central Arecanut and Cocoa Marketing and Processing Co-operative Ltd have suddenly assumed the responsibility to inform people about the relative merits of gutkha over cigarettes. (theseoultimes.com)
- Of course it is good that the Smokeless Tobacco manufacturers have done a Samaritan s job by reminding the public that gutkha contains a sizeable amount of tobacco as well as a large number of harmful chemicals. (theseoultimes.com)
- In the case of smokeless tobacco products for oral use, it is understood as all substances released during the process of chewing or sucking and in the case of tobacco products for nasal use, are all substances released during the process of inhalation or aspiration. (bvsalud.org)
Examined the tobacco industry's1
- We examined the tobacco industry's new strategy to defeat and then repeal tobacco control ordinances in California and the efforts of health professionals to pass and defend these ordinances. (nih.gov)
- Cigarette Maker Experimented Genetically Engineered Tobacco. (yourlawyer.com)
- The Florida Supreme Court Thursday snuffed out the tobacco industry's strategy to slow down thousands of ailing state smokers in pursuing individual lawsuits against the country's major cigarette makers. (yourlawyer.com)
- An analysis of tobacco industry documents published in the British Medical Journal (BMJ) tells how the German cigarette industry worked to stop Lufthansa , the flagship airline of Germany, from banning smoking on its domestic flights in the early 1990s. (rinf.com)
- Documents also reveal that German tobacco companies worked to keep cigarette vending machines accessible to children , stop higher taxes on cigarettes, block a ban on tobacco advertising and recruit doctors and scientists to serve as "expert witnesses" to testify against the health dangers of tobacco. (rinf.com)
- He said in a statement that the new law "will not bring about meaningful change, but will lead to the tobacco companies falsely claiming that the youth e-cigarette problem has been solved even as it continues to grow worse every day. (kunc.org)
- Explicit tobacco association with the Olympics has a lengthy history that includes formal sponsorship (e.g. the official cigarette of the Olympics) but industry exploitation continues to the present day. (stanford.edu)
- Has the tobacco industry evaded the FDA's ban on 'Light' cigarette descriptors? (harvard.edu)
- The use of skulls and bones in the pictorial warnings on tobacco packs will be made optional by amending The Cigarette and other Tobacco Products Act (2003), the Union Cabinet of India decided on 20 July 2007. (citizen-news.org)
- Health warning labels, both on cigarette packages and on all tobacco marketing materials, help create informed consent between tobacco companies and their customers and are an inexpensive and important first step in a national health education programme. (citizen-news.org)
- Despite declining sales in developed markets, industry profits continue to rise with the value of global cigarette sales rising by 84 per cent in the past decade. (bath.ac.uk)
- Our staff can also provide information on electronic cigarette aerosol, marijuana secondhand smoke, smoking in multi-unit housing, tobacco-free college campuses, and a variety of other issues. (no-smoke.org)
- A coalition of leading health organizations is criticizing "allies" of the tobacco industry for launching "an outrageous attack" on the FDA in its efforts to address the youth e-cigarette epidemic. (ishn.com)
- Last month, a coalition of organizations allied with the tobacco industry - and in many cases, funded by the tobacco industry - signed a letter to the FDA claiming that the agency's efforts to address youth e-cigarette use amounts to "regulatory panic and significant government overreach. (ishn.com)
- The recently-released 2018 National Youth Tobacco Survey showed that current e-cigarette use among high school students soared by 78 percent in just one year (to 20.8 percent), and more than 3.6 million middle and high school students now use e-cigarettes. (ishn.com)
- To enable comparisons with pipe tobacco and roll-your-own tobacco, CDC converted the tax data from pounds of tobacco to a per cigarette equivalent, based on the conversion formula contained in the Master Settlement Agreement (0.0325 oz [0.9 g] = one cigarette). (medscape.com)
- Consumption of loose tobacco (i.e., roll-your-own cigarette tobacco and pipe tobacco) changed substantially from 2000 to 2011. (medscape.com)
- Roll-your-own cigarette equivalent consumption decreased by 56.3%, whereas pipe tobacco consumption increased by 482.1% ( Table 2 ). (medscape.com)
- At home -- where the American tobacco industry is besieged by anti-smoking activists, whistle-blowers, government regulators, grand juries and plaintiffs' lawyers -- cigarette consumption has undergone a 15-year decline. (washingtonpost.com)
- To this day, many U.S. officials see cigarette exports as strictly an issue of free trade and economic fairness, while tobacco industry critics and public health advocates consider it a moral question. (washingtonpost.com)
- Having exported its cigarette industry, the United States is now in effect exporting its anti-smoking movement as well. (washingtonpost.com)
- The Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled today that the new, graphic cigarette warning labels do not violate tobacco companies' free speech rights , reports Politico. (findlaw.com)
- That's a far cry from last month's D.C. district court decision, finding that the new cigarette warning requirement violated the tobacco industry's free speech rights without a compelling government interest . (findlaw.com)
- Understanding the tax and fee issues specific to cigarette and tobacco products businesses can be time-consuming and complicated, so it is important that you get the information you need in a timely and understandable way, helping you focus on starting and growing your business. (ca.gov)
- Tobacco products' are defined under the California Cigarette and Tobacco Products Tax Law ( Revenue and Taxation Code section 30121(b) ). (ca.gov)
- The study, funded by the National Cancer Institute of the National Institute of Health , traces the roots of the Tea Party's anti-tax movement back to the early 1980s when tobacco companies began to invest in third party groups to fight excise taxes on cigarettes, as well as health studies finding a link between cancer and secondhand cigarette smoke. (southdacola.com)
- African American people likely have higher percentages of menthol cigarette smoking in part because the tobacco industry has aggressively marketed menthol products to them. (cdc.gov)
- Tobacco tax increases are considered progressive, because poorer smokers are more price-sensitive. (who.int)
- The tobacco industry has moved beyond organizing smokers to use professional public affairs and political campaign firms to defeat or weaken local tobacco control ordinances. (nih.gov)
- Menthol cigarettes are particularly nefarious because the tobacco industry designed them as 'starter products' that mask the harshness of smoking, leading to more smokers overall. (newswise.com)
- Reports suggest there are more than 100 tobacco-sponsored schools in China, a country with more than 300 million smokers. (theconversation.com)
- In fact, companies like Lets OZE make 100% tobacco free products and are dedicated to helping longterm smokers finally quit. (legalreader.com)
- According to Rebecca Perl, Vice President of Partnerships and Initiatives - Policy, Advocacy, and Communication at Vital Strategies "This campaign is targeting advertising agencies that work with the tobacco industry because they promote deadly products, through ad campaigns that appeal to youth and are responsible for hooking a generation of new smokers to a lifetime of poor health and an untimely death. (bmj.com)
- E-cigarettes have been heralded as a potential savior for a tobacco industry desperate for new products and customers in the face of a shrinking number of smokers and punitive damages such as the $23.6 billion awarded by a Florida jury last week. (ash.org)
- While it is possible to ask smokers about their use of unbranded tobacco, it is extremely difficult to assess the extent of use of contraband and counterfeit cigarettes. (tobaccoinaustralia.org.au)
- As indicated in Table 2.8.1, while 24% of smokers in 2010 had tried unbranded tobacco at least once, almost 80% of those who had tried it no longer ever used it. (tobaccoinaustralia.org.au)
- Of the 5% of smokers who did currently use unbranded tobacco, almost 70% smoked it only occasionally. (tobaccoinaustralia.org.au)
- Only 1.5% of smokers smoked unbranded tobacco half the time or more. (tobaccoinaustralia.org.au)
- Allowing for the possibility that smokers who use unbranded tobacco might be somewhat heavier smokers than average, it is estimated that the 162 200 people currently using unbranded tobacco products would smoke about 348 million cigarettes made from unbranded tobacco per year. (tobaccoinaustralia.org.au)
- The data suggest that certain smokers have switched from cigarettes to other combustible tobacco products, most notably since a 2009 increase in the federal tobacco excise tax that created tax disparities between product types. (medscape.com)
- Even with universal implementation of clinic-based augmented smoking cessation interventions for all pregnant smokers, the overall reduction of the US prenatal smoking prevalence is estimated to be modest, approximately 1.4 percentage points (10).To further reduce prenatal smoking prevalence, tobacco control efforts focused on preventing initiation and increasing smoking cessation before a woman becomes pregnant are needed. (cdc.gov)
- The processes of nicotine addiction further ensure that many of today's adolescent smokers will regularly use tobacco when they are adults. (cdc.gov)
- These current and future smokers are new recruits in the continuing epidemic of disease, disability, and death attributable to tobacco use. (cdc.gov)
- At a time when one arm of the government was warning Americans about the dangers of smoking, another was helping the industry recruit a new generation of smokers abroad. (washingtonpost.com)
- of Pakistan for WHO's Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) mentioned that the number of smokers in Pakistan has reached up to 29 million. (com.pk)
- Prohibition of Smoking and Protection of Non-Smokers Ordinance 2002 provides key guidelines regarding advertisement, promotion and sale of tobacco products to children. (com.pk)
- Almost all Asian countries have signed the WHO 's tobacco-control treaty, committing themselves to restricting the marketing of cigarettes, curbing smoking in public and helping smokers to quit. (economist.com)
- However, tobacco companies know 90% of smokers start before they are 18 years old. (cdc.gov)
- Educate the priority population (youth) about Big Tobacco and how they target youth to be replacement smokers. (cdc.gov)
- To protect the rights of non-smokers to live and coexist in 100% tobacco smoke-free spaces. (bvsalud.org)
- Tobacco Product Use and Cessation Indicators Among Adults - United States, 2018. (cdc.gov)
- Global Tobacco Pipe Market 2018 covers a complete market structure across the world with the detailed analysis of major key factors. (openpr.com)
- In 2018, Belarusian dictator Alexander Lukashenko radically restructured the country's tobacco industry to benefit his close crony Aliaksei Aleksin, who until then had been better known as an energy tycoon. (occrp.org)
- According to Energo-Oil's website, the company got involved in tobacco only in 2018. (occrp.org)
- The tobacco industry has targeted African American communities in its advertisements and promotional efforts for menthol cigarettes. (cdc.gov)
- Whether selling its new products or traditional cigarettes, the tobacco industry uses the same tactics to create barriers to life-saving tobacco control measures. (who.int)
- The 2009 Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act provided the FDA with broad authority to regulate the manufacturing, marketing, and distribution of tobacco products, including banning flavored cigarettes, to protect public health. (newswise.com)
- The research, conducted by the Rutgers School of Public Health Center for Tobacco Studies, anticipates arguments the tobacco industry is likely to use in a lawsuit challenging the FDA's authority to ban menthol cigarettes. (newswise.com)
- Additionally, menthol cigarettes are even harder to quit than nonmenthol cigarettes," said lead author Kevin Schroth, member of the Rutgers Center for Tobacco Studies. (newswise.com)
- New Jersey has led nationally on sound tobacco control policies to protect vulnerable populations and should continue to lead and become the first state to ban menthol cigarettes. (newswise.com)
- Two college researchers on Wednesday presented evidence that the tobacco industry, particularly Philip Morris, experimented with genetically engineered tobacco as early as the 1980s in an effort to control nicotine levels in cigarettes. (yourlawyer.com)
- The European Union's high court on Tuesday rejected the tobacco industry's challenge to new EU rules that ban the use of such terms as "mild" or "light" in making or marketing cigarettes. (yourlawyer.com)
- Major tobacco companies have begun selling or developing e-cigarettes, sensing an opportunity to dive into a growing market. (ibtimes.com)
- British American Tobacco describes e-cigarettes as having "huge potential. (ibtimes.com)
- Health advocates are currently pushing for more sweeping regulations than the age limit raise, such as banning flavors for e-cigarettes - something the industry has fought. (kunc.org)
- e-cigarettes] for adults unless we help curb youth access to all tobacco products, including e-vapor," Willard said. (kunc.org)
- They said that the tobacco industry says that Pakistan is facing a loss of Rs 70 billion annually on the sale of counterfeit cigarettes, but the facts are the opposite. (pakobserver.net)
- It may surprise you to learn, as it did me, that the tobacco industry and the Olympic Games have a long history stretching back to the 1948 London Games , of which Craven A cigarettes was a major sponsor . (stanford.edu)
- Instead of smoking rolled up cigarettes that are filled with tobacco and a bunch of random chemical ingredients, people now have the option to vape nicotine, thus reducing the harmful effects. (legalreader.com)
- In emerging markets, the prevention of marketing and implementation of appropriate tobacco excise policies to prevent the sale of cheap cigarettes would decrease the marketing power of the industry and thereby the number of people who take up the habit. (bath.ac.uk)
- The lawsuit, brought by Patricia Lowe on behalf of about 400,000 Oregonians, argued the tobacco companies were negligent because they "knew or should have known that their cigarettes contained toxic and hazardous substances likely to cause lung cancer. (breakinglegalnews.com)
- The percentages indicated in Table 2.8.2 can be used to estimate the number of cigarettes made from unbranded tobacco smoked in Australia. (tobaccoinaustralia.org.au)
- Even if such cigarettes weighed as much as 1 g (25% more than the weight of the heaviest factory-made cigarettes manufactured in Australia), the total amount of unbranded tobacco products purchased in 2010 would be no more than 348 000 kg, almost identical to tax office estimates for six years earlier. (tobaccoinaustralia.org.au)
- A statement by the American Cancer Society, American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network, American Heart Association, American Lung Association, Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, Public Health Law Center and Truth Initiative notes that the skyrocketing use of e-cigarettes by young people calls for a comprehensive public health response including strong regulatory and enforcement efforts by the FDA. (ishn.com)
- E-cigarettes, especially Juul, threaten to addict a new generation of kids and to reverse the enormous, decades-long progress our nation has made in reducing youth tobacco use. (ishn.com)
- It is no accident that a disproportionate percentage of youth, African-Americans and members of the LGBTQ community smoke menthol cigarettes: Tobacco companies have engaged in decades of targeted marketing of menthol cigarettes to the African-American and other communities, with devastating health consequences. (ishn.com)
- We are concerned our colleagues will be used," said Jørgen Vestbo, DMSc, from the University of Manchester in the United Kingdom, who will cochair a session on e-cigarettes and heated tobacco. (medscape.com)
- Vestbo said he worries that marketing and industry-funded science will prevail, as it did with big tobacco, especially because e-cigarettes are seen as a harm-reduction tool. (medscape.com)
- In fact, it states that there is "no evidence that e-cigarettes are safer than tobacco in the long term. (medscape.com)
- And the smoking-cessation aspect of e-cigarettes pits scientists and clinicians against one another, even though they are all "on the same side," said Filippos Filippidis, MD, PhD, from Imperial College London, who will discuss novel tobacco and nicotine products during the session that Vestbo will cochair. (medscape.com)
- I am sad to see that the tobacco-control community - many members of which have dedicated their lives to combating tobacco and saving people's lives - is now divided on the topic of e-cigarettes. (medscape.com)
- Smoking cigarettes and other combustible tobacco products causes adverse health outcomes, particularly cancer and cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases. (medscape.com)
- consumption estimates were calculated for cigarettes, roll-your-own tobacco, pipe tobacco, and small and large cigars. (medscape.com)
- However, while consumption of cigarettes decreased 32.8% from 2000 to 2011, consumption of loose tobacco and cigars increased 123.1% over the same period. (medscape.com)
- The health activists and the senior journalists explored the need to ban emerging products such as nicotine pouches, e-cigarettes and heated tobacco devices, as they are becoming increasingly popular among Pakistani youth due to elaborate advertisement and promotional campaigns. (com.pk)
- Our country was already struggling to counter threats posted by cigarettes but now the tobacco industry has launched these emerging products to gain more profit at expense of public health. (com.pk)
- The Moment of Action is part of truth 's latest campaign, Breath of Stress Air , which busts the fantasy that vaping nicotine is a stress reliever and calls out the tobacco industry for promoting e-cigarettes and vaping as a way to deal with stress. (wdtv.com)
- At the same time, the latest 2021 National Youth Tobacco Survey shows that youth vaping remains at epidemic levels with more than two million high school and middle school students using e-cigarettes. (wdtv.com)
- This guide will help you better understand the tax and licensing obligations for retailers, distributors, wholesalers, manufacturers, importers, and consumers of cigarettes and tobacco products. (ca.gov)
- Flavored cigarettes are banned in the United States (see the Industry Topics section for more information). (ca.gov)
- Products wrapped in tobacco or with a cover made mostly of tobacco (for example, cigars) are not cigarettes when they weigh more than three pounds per thousand sticks. (ca.gov)
- Marlboro iQOS HeatSticks are cigarettes and have been added to the Office of Attorney General's California Tobacco Directory as of June 30, 2020. (ca.gov)
- Many of the anti-science operatives who defended cigarettes are currently deploying their tobacco-inspired playbook internationally to evade accountability for the fossil fuel industry's role in driving climate disruption. (southdacola.com)
- Tobacco companies use advertisements, giveaways, and cheaper prices for menthol cigarettes to increase appeal. (cdc.gov)
- Tobacco companies market menthol cigarettes as "smoother" than other cigarettes, but they are just as harmful. (cdc.gov)
- Targeted marketing of menthol cigarettes and other factors have contributed to tobacco-related health disparities across the United States for decades. (cdc.gov)
- The FDA and the Trump Administration must reject these self-serving tobacco industry attacks and move forward with strong proposals they have made to protect kids from nicotine addiction, accelerate progress in reducing smoking and save countless lives. (ishn.com)
- A task-force report on electronic nicotine delivery, recently issued by the ERS tobacco control committee ( Eur Respir J . 2019;53:1801151 ), does not recommend population-based harm-reduction strategies for tobacco cessation. (medscape.com)
- Shariq urged the media websites to take down these advertisements and raise awareness on harms of nicotine, second hand smoking, and adverse impacts of tobacco products on public economy and environment. (com.pk)
- In this podcast, Shane MacGuill, Euromonitor International's Global Lead for Nicotine & Cannabis discusses the drivers of environmental sustainability regulation in tobacco and cannabis industries, its role and implications on businesses and consumers. (euromonitor.com)
- Pediatricians should screen for use of tobacco and other nicotine delivery devices and provide anticipatory guidance to prevent smoking initiation and reduce tobacco smoke exposure. (aap.org)
- Tobacco product: any nicotine delivery product, currently regulated or unregulated by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which is not approved for safe and effective tobacco dependence treatment. (aap.org)
- They are actually challenging a Central government regulation, banning sale of tobacco and nicotine laced food products, which has been in place for more than one year now. (theseoultimes.com)
- Just as a gentle reminder to all of us (including the gutkha manufacturers), the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, a statutory body under the Union Health Ministry, had issued Regulation 2.4.3 of The Food Safety and Standards Act (FSSA) 2006 notified for implementation from August 5, 2011 by the Government Of India which states: Tobacco and nicotine shall not be used as ingredients in any food products. (theseoultimes.com)
- This Act has got nothing to do with the harmful effects of tobacco on health-it only disallows any nicotine/tobacco laced product to be sold under the banner of a food product. (theseoultimes.com)
- Includes nicotine, tar, carbon monoxide and the chemical composition that forms part of tobacco smoke. (bvsalud.org)
- Targeted marketing from tobacco companies puts African American people at higher risk of smoking and becoming addicted to nicotine, as well as the risk of smoking related disease and death. (cdc.gov)
- Women are also targeted by the tobacco industry, and tobacco companies continue to produce brands specifically for women. (cdc.gov)
- Tobacco companies use this argument despite being complicit in illicit trade. (who.int)
- Tobacco companies are simply unlike any other business - their industry is built on lies and manipulation and their product kills when used as intended. (tobaccofreekids.org)
- We provide the facts about how the tobacco companies operate and work to expose and stop the industry's harmful activities. (tobaccofreekids.org)
- Whether or not they smoke, most young people don't share the tobacco companies' view that New Zealand's new smokefree measures will reduce their autonomy or limit their freedoms. (theconversation.com)
- Is the world ready for tobacco companies sponsoring or supporting schools? (theconversation.com)
- Although AXA's announcement did not disclose which tobacco companies those holdings included, AXA documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission in mid-May showed it at least owned shares in Altria Group, one of the world's largest tobacco corporations, and Philip Morris International, valued at more than $186 million and $115 million, respectively. (ibtimes.com)
- This issue is really emerging as a mainstream issue, in mainstream financial institutions," King said, adding that increasingly, companies are willing to re-examine their relationship with the tobacco industry. (ibtimes.com)
- For decades, major tobacco companies have fought against raising the age limit to buy their products from 18 to 21. (kunc.org)
- They worry it may help the companies stave off further sweeping regulations of their industry and wonder how stringently it will be enforced. (kunc.org)
- Archival tobacco industry documents show why the companies objected, says Stan Glantz , the director of University of California San Francisco's Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education. (kunc.org)
- University of Virginia historian Sarah Milov , who wrote a book about tobacco, says the big companies have likely been willing to accept the stricter age limits "in order to take the public's eyes off of other proposals for addressing youth vaping. (kunc.org)
- In this and previous fights, he says tobacco companies will preemptively lobby for bills that are weak or don't spell out effective enforcement mechanisms. (kunc.org)
- As NPR's Embedded podcast found, "vaping and tobacco companies are currently employing McConnell's former policy adviser , his former policy director and his former chief of staff to lobby on their behalf. (kunc.org)
- Below Jackler, whose ongoing research into the history of tobacco company advertising has resulted in several published studies, discusses the tobacco industry's motivation for aligning itself with the Olympic Games, how the IOC's tobacco-free policy affected companies' marketing strategies and present-day tactics by the industry to capitalize on global Olympic fever. (stanford.edu)
- Tobacco companies wanting cost-effective sourcing, manufacturing, supply chain efficiencies, improved business processes and regulatory compliance, leverage Wipro's industry experience. (wipro.com)
- When scientists depend on the food industry for income, they may be less likely to contest the safety of ingredients companies hope to market. (wuwf.org)
- That's why most tobacco companies are now introducing new, more sustainable ways of growing tobacco and making tobacco products. (legalreader.com)
- While America and Britain are successfully pushing smoking out of their countries, tobacco companies are simply moving their business to the places that can't resist the onslaught of pro-tobacco lobby. (legalreader.com)
- While this is all well and good, there's a way around it - certain tobacco companies have started using social media influencers to advertise their products. (legalreader.com)
- Because you see, while most platforms have banned advertising any kind of tobacco-related products, this rule isn't enforced often enough, and companies can still make secret deals with certain influencers. (legalreader.com)
- If they don't already have them, organisations might consider including a conflict of interest clause in standard vendor contracts to prevent their vendors from also working with tobacco companies. (bmj.com)
- The Quit Big Tobacco campaign is also encouraging organisations to not accept funding from tobacco companies or the Philip Morris-funded Foundation for a Smoke Free World, in line with statements from the World Health Organisation , numerous universities and more recently the Polish government . (bmj.com)
- Also package warnings are a good public health strategy because the cost of package warnings is paid for by tobacco companies, not government. (citizen-news.org)
- Using freely available material, we explored how the global tobacco market has changed in the past 20 years, how transnational tobacco companies (TTCs) are responding and what the implications are for global tobacco control. (bath.ac.uk)
- Philip Morris and R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co., two of the five companies named in the lawsuit, welcomed the ruling in a statement released Thursday. (breakinglegalnews.com)
- The other companies were Brown & Williamson Tobacco Corp., Lorillard Tobacco Co. and Liggett Group Inc. (breakinglegalnews.com)
- The campaigns echo the tobacco industry's use of CSR to focus responsibility on consumers rather than on the corporation, bolster the popularity of the companies and their products, and to prevent regulation. (healthyeatingresearch.org)
- Researchers also found that in response to health concerns about their products, soda companies appear to have launched CSR campaigns earlier than the tobacco industry did. (healthyeatingresearch.org)
- the remedies in the federal racketeering case against U.S. tobacco companies may soon be finalized. (no-smoke.org)
- this is a whopping 16 years after Judge Kessler's judgment finding that the tobacco companies had violated federal racketeering laws and ordered tobacco companies to publish corrective statements. (no-smoke.org)
- The tobacco industry's years of litigation and foot dragging to comply with the court's orders reinforce what we know: that tobacco companies haven't changed. (no-smoke.org)
- This report details how tobacco companies seek to improve their corporate image through socially responsible investment. (escholarship.org)
- The edict echoes a similar vote from 2000 that restricted researchers who received funding from tobacco companies. (medscape.com)
- The approach harkens back to the 1960s and 70s, when big tobacco companies funded scientific research that suggested smoking was not as harmful to human health as it is now known to be. (medscape.com)
- I do not want tobacco companies making money off of me. (medlineplus.gov)
- And in Beijing, America's biggest tobacco companies are competing for the right to launch cooperative projects with the state-run tobacco monopoly in hopes of capturing a share of the biggest potential market in the world. (washingtonpost.com)
- Shariq Mahmood Khan, CEO, Chromatic Trust, shared that tobacco companies are investing huge money in online campaigns on almost all social media platforms. (com.pk)
- the report claims, but that doesn't stop tobacco companies from trying to persuade them. (first30days.com)
- Why are tobacco comapnies and credit card companies allowed to market to this age group? (first30days.com)
- Schools with any legitimacy should be telling these tobacco companies to get something better to do. (first30days.com)
- But it wasn't all good news for the government: the court appellate court rejected black-and-white, text-only advertising restrictions imposed on tobacco companies. (findlaw.com)
- While the D.C. decision may still be appealed to the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals, the split could lead to a Supreme Court showdown between tobacco companies and the government. (findlaw.com)
- Tobacco companies deny targeting youth directly. (cdc.gov)
- Empower youth to reject the manipulative tactics by the tobacco companies. (cdc.gov)
- Build awareness among youth about the dangers and effects of tobacco use and educate about emerging tobacco products, including vaping - Empower youth to reject the manipulative tactics by the tobacco companies. (cdc.gov)
- Companies are screened for certain ESG criteria, and the funds specifically exclude stocks of companies in industries such as alcohol, tobacco, weapons, adult entertainment, gambling, and nuclear power, as well as companies that own fossil fuels reserves. (vanguardcharitable.org)
- An archive of 14 million documents created by tobacco companies about their advertising, manufacturing, marketing, scientific research and political activities, hosted by the UCSF Library. (ucsf.edu)
- 2017). Jordan Tobacco industry profile. (who.int)
- In 2017, countries of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) agreed on significant increases in excise taxes on tobacco, and are now in different stages of implementation. (who.int)
- He became Director of The Union China Office in 2014 and Director of the Tobacco Control Department in 2017. (theunion.org)
World Health Organ4
- Derek Yach, now senior vice president of global health policy at Pepsico , used to work for the World Health Organization developing the WHO's Tobacco-Free Initiative. (prwatch.org)
- Recognizing the unique nature of this industry, an international treaty - the World Health Organization Framework Convention on Tobacco Control - obligates countries to protect their public health policies from the harmful influence of the tobacco industry. (tobaccofreekids.org)
- One of the paper's authors, Martina PÃ¶tschke-Langer, who heads the World Health Organization 's Collaboration Centre for Tobacco Control at the German Cancer Research Centre in Heidelberg, said "The campaign against Lufthansa's non-smoking flights appears to be especially vicious, since pressure was applied to the government as well as to public opinion via the mass media. (rinf.com)
- The global tobacco treaty, formally known as the World Health Organization Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (WHO FCTC), will save millions of lives and change the way tobacco corporations operate around the world. (citizen-news.org)
- The World Health Organisation (WHO) on Tuesday, May 31, 2022, in commemoration of the World No Tobacco Day revealed new information on the extent to which tobacco damages both the environment and human health, calling for steps to make the industry more accountable for the destruction it is causing. (environewsnigeria.com)
- Clean Up Britain , Tobacco Tactics, updated 15 February 2022, accessed 30 January 2023. (tobaccotactics.org)
- 2021 global progress report on implementation of the Protocol to Eliminate Illicit Trade in Tobacco Products. (escholarship.org)
- Advertisement and promotion of certain tobacco products appear to be targeted to members of racial/minority communities. (cdc.gov)
- The industry aims to ensure that tobacco products remain affordable, while protecting their own profits - at the expense of public health. (who.int)
- Newswise - New Brunswick, NJ - A proposed ban of menthol combustible tobacco products by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will likely be upheld in court, albeit a lengthy legal process, a Rutgers paper found. (newswise.com)
- The tobacco industry has long sought to affiliate its products with cherished and admired cultural icons such as sports heroes, movie stars and even Santa Claus. (stanford.edu)
- The food industry regularly turns to a small group of scientists - including several with ties to Big Tobacco - to determine whether additives it is adding to food products are safe. (wuwf.org)
- Representatives of the tobacco branch organizations discussed today at the Ministry of Agriculture and Food the amendments planned to be made to the Tobacco and Tobacco Products Law. (government.bg)
- Background: Under the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act (FSPTCA), the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) banned the use of "Lights" descriptors or similar terms on tobacco products that convey messages of reduced risk. (harvard.edu)
- In May 2007, Gutkha (chewing tobacco) manufacturers in India were attempting to get a court injunction to delay the directive requiring all tobacco products to carry health warnings. (citizen-news.org)
- Prohibiting the introduction of new tobacco products or brand variants would close the industry's main marketing tactic in countries where tobacco advertising is otherwise restricted. (bath.ac.uk)
- Information sheet: measuring priority emissions in heated tobacco products, importance for regulators and significance for public health. (escholarship.org)
- Illicit tobacco products are significantly cheaper because suppliers have avoided paying excise or customs duty and goods and services tax (GST), which in Australia make up about 70% of the retail value of tobacco products sold through legitimate channels. (tobaccoinaustralia.org.au)
- Tobacco products are the most littered item on the planet, containing over 7,000 toxic chemicals, which leech into our environment when discarded. (environewsnigeria.com)
- The costs of cleaning up littered tobacco products fall on taxpayers, rather than the industry creating the problem. (environewsnigeria.com)
- It is a technology worth considering for tobacco producers looking to improve their operations and deliver the highest quality products to consumers. (kidata.app)
- per capita consumption of all combustible tobacco products declined from 2,148 to 1,374, a 36.0% decrease. (medscape.com)
- Media can play a strong role to counter the deceptive campaigns of tobacco industry to promote harmful emerging tobacco products in Pakistani youth, said health activists during a consultation organized by Society for the Protection of the Rights of the Child (SPARC). (com.pk)
- Media needs to play its role in exposing tobacco industry's tactics regarding emerging products as well. (com.pk)
- He urged editors and senior journalists to conduct investigative studies on deceptive advertisement, sales and promotional tactics of tobacco industry to spread emerging products in Pakistan. (com.pk)
- Ahlers provides a full range of logistics solutions and international forwarding of tobacco products. (ahlers.com)
- In a lengthy opinion, the court affirmed the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act's restrictions on the marketing of modified-risk tobacco products and bans on event sponsorship, branding non-tobacco merchandise, and free sampling, as well as the requirement that tobacco manufacturers reserve significant packaging space for textual health warnings. (findlaw.com)
- Big Tobacco spends millions marketing their products in ways that appeal to youth. (cdc.gov)
- The aggregate business enterprise of agriculture, manufacture, and distribution related to tobacco and tobacco-derived products. (bvsalud.org)
- Instead, these products are considered tobacco products. (ca.gov)
- The Citizen News Service (CNS) believes that as there is no safe level of tobacco, the best thing would be to ban all forms of consumable tobacco products-smoking and chewable. (theseoultimes.com)
- I. Health control of tobacco products, as well as their importation, and II. (bvsalud.org)
- Unofficial Translation pertinent, the application of safety and health measures regarding tobacco products shall be regulated under the terms established in this law. (bvsalud.org)
- Establish general guidelines for distribution and spread of information on tobacco products and their emissions, and IX. (bvsalud.org)
- Health control of tobacco products: Group of actions for orientation, education, display, verification and if pertinent, the application of safety measures and sanctions exercised by the Department of Health and other competent authorities pursuant to what is established by this law, its regulations, official Mexican norms and other applicable provisions. (bvsalud.org)
- One way to improve health is to encourage people who smoke tobacco products to quit. (cdc.gov)
- The tobacco industry aims to defeat or weaken evidence-based tobacco control policies. (who.int)
- Having noted that, in the case of the tobacco industry, reviews of historical internal documents were "key to informing policy and litigation successes in tobacco control," the authors set to work on an archive of 319 internal sugar industry documents created mostly in the 1960s. (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Although the tobacco industry's new strategy has hindered the passage of some local tobacco control ordinances, when health professionals and elected officials remained active and committed, the industry's efforts have failed and the ordinances have been upheld. (nih.gov)
- Even if the new smokefree legislation did cause some temporary extra illegal trade in tobacco, the best response would still be better law enforcement and border control. (theconversation.com)
- A driving factor in AXA's decision was Tobacco Free Portfolios, an Australian initiative that advocates for tobacco divestment and is currently sponsored by the Union for International Cancer Control. (ibtimes.com)
- Sana Ullah Ghumman said that as a signatory of World Health Organisation's Framework Convention on Tobacco Control the government must not forget its obligations to protect its citizens and be mindful of such misleading campaigns led by the industry. (pakobserver.net)
- Tobacco Control 23 (2): 140-145. (harvard.edu)
- This is another major setback for public health advocates with Indian tobacco control Act being diluted. (citizen-news.org)
- The third major move to water down the Indian tobacco control Act also happened in May 2007 when Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi called on the central government to defer implementation of the legislation, saying that "the move has threatened the livelihood of 1.5 million beedi workers in the State. (citizen-news.org)
- Philip Morris/Altria, British American Tobacco (BAT) and Japan Tobacco (JT) use their political influence to weaken, delay and defeat tobacco control legislation around the world. (citizen-news.org)
- The smoking ban in Italy had reduced ETS pollution, as in the United States and in other countries all over the world, but the implementation of comprehensive legislation on smoking policy will necessitate other tobacco control measures for its successful fulfillment. (semanticscholar.org)
- In order to plan effective tobacco control policies we must first understand how the tobacco industry thrives and this blog illustrates just how this can be done. (bath.ac.uk)
- Gilmore, A. B. (2012) Understanding the vector in order to plan effective tobacco control policies: An analysis of contemporary tobacco industry materials. (bath.ac.uk)
- For comparison,50 age and body surface area matched apparently healthy male non-smoker non-tobacco workers were also studied as Control(group A). The study groups were selected from different tobacco industries of Rangpur district and control group were selected from the surrounding community who belonged to lower socioeconomic condition. (who.int)
- Age-appropriate and culturally specific tobacco control interventions should be integrated into reproductive health settings to reach younger non-Hispanic white, Alaska Native, and American Indian women before they become pregnant. (cdc.gov)
- Our study findings will help to identify groups of women most likely to benefit from targeted tobacco control efforts designed to decrease prepregnancy smoking. (cdc.gov)
- We respect the dignity, cultural context, capabilities and perspectives of the people in countries where we work, and we will not work or associate with any industries that are in conflict with our values or detract from our organization's commitment to tobacco control. (tobaccofreekids.org)
- Dr. Ziauddin Islam, Country Lead Vital Strategies, former technical head/ Director, Tobacco Control Cell, Ministry of NHSR&C, former technical focal person of Govt. (com.pk)
- Pakistan became a Party to the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) on February 27, 2005. (com.pk)
- The film's controversial theme is gun control, although Grisham's novel focused on the tobacco industry. (dove.org)
- Los adolescentes pasan por transformaciones en su funcionamiento neuro-comportamental y psicosocial que resultan en la predominancia de estar conforme con las normas de sus pares en detrimento del control cognitivo de sus impulsos. (adicciones.es)
- En general, mientras que las medidas ambientales estén ganando importancia en Europa, se encuentran más en el Norte de Europa y se notan sobretodo en tres áreas: a nivel macro en forma de políticas de control de alcohol y tabaco, en estrategias de mejorar el clima y ethos en centros educativos y en políticas locales para ambientes de diversión. (adicciones.es)
- 6 Tobacco Industry sponsored public campaigns are not only recommended against by the Bristol City Council Advertising and Sponsorship Policy, 6 but are also covered under the World Health Organisation Framework Convention on Tobacco Control recommendations against tobacco sponsorship. (tobaccotactics.org)
- TobaccoTactics is produced by the Tobacco Control Research Group in the Department for Health at the University of Bath and is overseen by managing editors Andrew Rowell and Phil Chamberlain. (tobaccotactics.org)
- Dentistry's role in tobacco control. (bvsalud.org)
- Dr Gan Quan completed his PhD in Public Health and a post-doc on tobacco control research. (theunion.org)
- Since 2009, he has managed China's Bloomberg Initiative tobacco control grants, developed campaigns and conducted policy research. (theunion.org)
- It provides links to tobacco industry documents which details the industry's activities and actions against tobacco control and other regulatory measures. (bvs.br)
- ORDER issuing the General Law on Tobacco Control and which repeals and reforms various provisions of the General Health Law. (bvsalud.org)
- General Law on Tobacco Control is issued. (bvsalud.org)
- This independent state agency, using Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Best Practices for Comprehensive Tobacco Control Programs, administered a comprehensive program that supported community health coalitions and evidence-based public policy changes. (cdc.gov)
- Although the tobacco control program is not insulated from political interference, the ISDH commissioner has created a new Tobacco Prevention and Cessation Commission, whose members report directly to him, with commitment to continue the programmatic focus of the former ITPC. (cdc.gov)
- Restoring full funding to the tobacco control program is necessary if Indiana's goal of decreasing the health care and business costs of tobacco use-related diseases are to be achieved. (cdc.gov)
- We review the entity that replaced ITPC, the Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH) Tobacco Prevention and Cessation Commission (TPCC), as well as the current threats and opportunities for Indiana's tobacco control programs. (cdc.gov)
- Integrate knowledge about challenges and trends to comprehensive tobacco control. (bvsalud.org)
- In federal systems, state and local governments may offer opportunities for innovation in implementing the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC). (bvsalud.org)
- The spread of state - and district-level policies illustrates opportunities federal structures can provide for accelerating tobacco control . (bvsalud.org)
- Given significant omissions and policy tensions, there remains a need for national action to build on these innovations, including in revisions to India 's tobacco control legislation. (bvsalud.org)
- [ 2 ] The two standard approaches for measuring smoking rates and behaviors are 1) surveying a representative sample of the public and asking questions about personal smoking behaviors and 2) estimating consumption based on tobacco excise tax data. (medscape.com)
- As a result, the percentage of total combustible tobacco consumption composed of loose tobacco and cigars increased from 3.4% in 2000 to 10.4% in 2011. (medscape.com)
- The largest changes occurred from 2008 to 2011, when roll-your-own consumption decreased from 10.7 billion to 2.6 billion (a 75.7% decrease), whereas pipe tobacco consumption increased from 2.6 billion to 17.5 billion (a 573.1% increase). (medscape.com)
- Tobacco consumption is causing serious health implications on Pakistanis and yearly, 170,000 people die due to tobacco consumption. (com.pk)
- So it is unlikely that consumption of tobacco will go down in those already hooked on to gutkha. (theseoultimes.com)
- With the implementation of statewide and nationwide public smoke-free legislation across the United States and Europe over the last 10-15 years, there has been a significant and reciprocal decline in the incidence of emergency admissions for ACS by an average 17% despite persistent attempts on the part of the tobacco industry to diminish the correlation between SHS exposure and CHD. (semanticscholar.org)
- Mortality risks associated with environmental tobacco smoke exposure in the United States. (semanticscholar.org)
- Using data from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health-sponsored National Occupational Hazard Survey (1972), the National Occupational Exposure Survey (1983), and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration-sponsored National Survey of Personal Protective Equipment Usage (1989), estimates were made of numbers of workers using hearing protection in various industries. (cdc.gov)
- Finally, targeting women before they become pregnant would reduce the number of women who enter pregnancy smoking, reducing fetal tobacco exposure from the mother. (cdc.gov)
- Much more is also known about programs and policies that encourage nonsmoking behavior among adults and protect nonsmokers from exposure to environmental tobacco smoke. (cdc.gov)
- Tobacco exposure of children is common and causes illness and premature death in children and adults, with adverse effects starting in the womb. (aap.org)
- There is no safe level of tobacco smoke exposure. (aap.org)
- Parents and caregivers are important sources of children's tobacco smoke exposure. (aap.org)
- If the source of tobacco exposure cannot be eliminated, counseling about reducing exposure to children should be provided. (aap.org)
- Health care facilities should protect children from tobacco smoke exposure and tobacco promotion. (aap.org)
- Protection against exposure to second-hand tobacco smoke. (bvsalud.org)
- A major source of benzene exposure is tobacco smoke. (cdc.gov)
- In 2010 British American Tobacco claimed that over 10% of sales came from product innovation. (bath.ac.uk)
- If this tactic fails, the industry often finances an election campaign to repeal the ordinance by popular vote. (nih.gov)
- Through our Industry Watch project, the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids seeks to hold the tobacco industry accountable. (tobaccofreekids.org)
- Images owned by Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, used with permission or covered under fair use. (tobaccofreekids.org)
- Matthew Myers, the president of Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, echoed that idea. (kunc.org)
- Pakistan National Heart Association General Secretary and Director Operations Sana Ullah Ghumman said that tobacco industry is misleading the youth and the government in the name of the Better Pakistan campaign. (pakobserver.net)
- There is no evidence behind the "Rs.70 billion" loss that the industry claims in this campaign. (pakobserver.net)
- The tobacco industry has launched a Better Pakistan campaign to mislead the younger generation and the government, so that more people can become targets of the tobacco industry. (pakobserver.net)
- Philip Morris tobacco company launched a hidden campaign in the 1990s to change the standards of scientific proof needed to demonstrate that secondhand smoke was dangerous, according to an analysis of internal tobacco industry documents by researchers at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF). (brightsurf.com)
- The stories also claimed the fossil fuel industry financed a distortion campaign by funding various think tanks, including the Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI), which received a subpoena from U.S. Virgin Islands Attorney General Claude E. Walker, an independent. (cei.org)
- A campaign launched at the World Conference on Tobacco or Health in Cape Town, South Africa in March, is aimed at separating the tobacco industry from the vendors that make their dirty work possible, especially advertising agencies. (bmj.com)
- The Global Health Advocacy Incubator at the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids advances public health policies to build a healthier and safer world. (tobaccofreekids.org)
- But the industry did not launch its campaign for new overseas markets alone. (washingtonpost.com)
- Malik Imran Ahmed, Country head, Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids, said that utilizing the gap in policymaking, tobacco industry has launched deceptive campaigns and profited from them. (com.pk)
- Their bold and blatant advertisement splashed in prominent newspapers is part of a country-wide campaign in an apparent retaliation to the ban on gutkha (tobacco laced pan masala), currently effective in 14 states of India. (theseoultimes.com)
- Quit Big Tobacco is an initiative of Vital Strategies . (bmj.com)
- Tobacco Free Initiative. (bvsalud.org)
- The authors say the influence on the 1971 US National Caries Program by such tactics was most notably shown by "78% of a report" submitted by the sugar industry to the NIDR being "incorporated directly" into the program's first request for research proposals. (medicalnewstoday.com)
- A unique insight into industry strategies and tactics for these games is provided by internal documents released as a result of the 1998 Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement (.pdf). (stanford.edu)
- The number of employees in Poland's small and medium-sized enterprises operating in the tobacco industry amounted to 0.6 thousand in 2020, representing a slight increase on the previous year. (statista.com)
- Between 2019 and 2020, Clean Up Britain carried out a project in partnership with PMI to research a potential investment into portable ashtrays for the tobacco company. (tobaccotactics.org)
Effects of tobacco2
- In nearly all cases, courts have upheld the government's right to impose packaging restrictions, recognizing them as a public health measure to protect against the adverse effects of tobacco use. (who.int)
- Further inaction on it will undermine the voice of the public, the will of the Parliament that enacted the law and result in loss of precious lives to the deadly effects of tobacco. (citizen-news.org)
- On No Menthol Sunday, faith leaders encourage congregations and communities to support one another in escaping tobacco addiction. (cdc.gov)
Illicit tobacco trade1
- In Europe, high levels of illicit tobacco trade are found in the countries with the lowest tobacco taxes. (who.int)
- 2. Describe the strategies typically used by 3 major tobacco brands to involve bar patrons 3. (confex.com)
- Snoop Dogg is investing in a United Kingdom-based cannabis company…and so is one of the major tobacco firms. (hightimes.com)
- It was built to house and provide permanent access to tobacco industry internal corporate documents produced during litigation between US States and the seven major tobacco industry organizations and other sources. (ucsf.edu)
- The tobacco industry is spending millions of dollars to intervene in California communities to oppose legislation protecting nonsmokers from secondhand smoke. (nih.gov)
- Citing 6 million deaths a year as a result of tobacco, including 600,000 from secondhand smoke, plus the $2.1 trillion that tobacco costs the global economy annually, AXA said it would pull some 200 million euros ($223 million) out of equity holdings and run off 1.6 billion euros in corporate bonds. (ibtimes.com)
- The "sound science" standards they promoted through a variety of industry groups would have made proving the hazards of secondhand smoke virtually impossible, according to the study. (brightsurf.com)
- The tobacco industry strategy involved a seemingly noble calling for "sound science", while rejecting so-called "junk science" on secondhand smoke that actually threatened the industry's business interests. (brightsurf.com)
- Internally, Defendants expressed concern that the mounting evidence on ETS [secondhand smoke] posed a grave threat to their industry. (no-smoke.org)
- Secondhand smoke: the smoke emitted from a tobacco product that is inhaled by a nonuser. (aap.org)
- By training a system on a large dataset of labeled images, it can learn the characteristics of different tobacco packages and accurately identify and measure them. (kidata.app)
- The purpose of this study has been to document the rise in prevalence of these ads in California, show comparisons with other states, and describe the results of observations at bars sponsored by four different tobacco brands. (confex.com)
- Since 1996, the prevalence of tobacco ads listing bars and clubs has more than doubled in these newspapers, with approximately 520 different tobacco-sponsored bars and clubs listed in the ads in the five largest metropolitan areas in the state, in 1999. (confex.com)
- but also reflects sophisticated public relations campaigns controlled by industry executives and lawyers to manipulate the scientific standards of proof for the corporate interests of their clients," the authors conclude. (brightsurf.com)
- The tobacco industry is still widely successful and that fact is unlikely to change without stronger anti-smoking campaigns and better public consciousness. (legalreader.com)
- Soda and Tobacco Industry Corporate Social Responsibility Campaigns: How Do They Compare? (healthyeatingresearch.org)
- This article examines prominent cases from corporate social responsibility (CSR) efforts by soda industry leaders PepsiCo and Coca-Cola and compares them with tobacco industry CSR campaigns. (healthyeatingresearch.org)
- Unlike tobacco CSR campaigns, soda company CSR campaigns explicitly aim to increase sales, including among youth. (healthyeatingresearch.org)
- The sugar-sweetened beverage (SSB) industry is increasingly using corporate social responsibility campaigns-particularly cause marketing appeals via social media-to reach young people. (healthyeatingresearch.org)
- The purpose of this study is to assess how the current cause marketing and corporate social responsibility (CSR) campaigns of the SSB industry compare to the strategies articulated and practiced by the tobacco industry. (healthyeatingresearch.org)
- Both tobacco and alcohol sales have risen since the beginning of lockdown. (legalreader.com)
- A former alcohol lobbyist weighs in on the similarities and differences about the booze, bud and tobacco industries. (thecannabist.co)
- Most of these materials are available for any industry and a similar examination can help people better understand other public health policy areas such as alcohol or food policy. (bath.ac.uk)
- The Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Quarterly Bulletin is the authoritative instrument of the Bureau for announcing official rulings and procedures, and for publishing Treasury decisions, legislation, administrative matters, and other items of general interest. (atf.gov)
- Price and tax increases remain the single most effective means to reduce tobacco use. (who.int)
- Governments around the world must stand up to the tobacco industry and enact proven solutions that reduce tobacco use and save lives. (tobaccofreekids.org)
- the tobacco industry's dirty little secrets If you can bear to look, you'll soon see the smoke cleared around another of the tobacco industry's dirty little secrets. (yourlawyer.com)
- Tobacco ads make smoking appear to be appealing, which can increase adolescents' desire to smoke. (cdc.gov)
- Research shows that a higher excise tax rate on tobacco would result in a decrease in the number of people who smoke. (theconversation.com)
- How did tobacco marketing change after the Olympic became "smoke free? (stanford.edu)
- The "smoke-free" Atlanta 1996 Olympics provide an excellent illustration of the methods used by the industry to exploit the Games in the post-ban era. (stanford.edu)
- Environmental tobacco smoke: health policy and focus on Italian legislation. (semanticscholar.org)
- Responses to the question 'How often do you smoke this type of tobacco? (tobaccoinaustralia.org.au)
- Background: Tobacco industry workers are exposed to tobacco dust and smoke in their work places. (who.int)
- The public health movement against tobacco use will be successful when young people no longer want to smoke. (cdc.gov)
- Thirdhand smoke: the tobacco smoke that is absorbed onto surfaces and exposes the nonuser by either direct contact and dermal absorption and/or off-gassing and inhalation. (aap.org)
- Outdoor air contains low levels of benzene from tobacco smoke, gas stations, motor vehicle exhaust, and industrial emissions. (cdc.gov)
- Between 1994 and 2000, seemingly independent seminars involving other industries and issues on the so-called "Good Epidemiology Practices" (GEP) were conducted in the United States, United Kingdom, European Union and China, yet in all cases Philip Morris was connected to these events, the documents show. (brightsurf.com)
- Three newspapers were monitored in California in 1996, then three more from major cities were added with all issues monitored and coded for tobacco ads from 1997 to 2000. (confex.com)
- The Indiana Tobacco Prevention and Cessation Agency (ITPC) was created in 2000 to address high tobacco use rates. (cdc.gov)
- The public health benefits and net economic gain from tobacco tax increases are far more significant than any potential business loss. (who.int)
- The tobacco industry has delayed and watered-down health warning policies (in Bahrain, Kuwait, Lebanon, United Arab Emirates and Yemen) and attempted to manipulate Saudi Arabia and Iraq's positions to defeat health warning proposals at the Arab Gulf Health Ministers Conference. (who.int)
- When the science first established that sugar was the damaging component in tooth decay - and when the sugar industry saw there was this unquestionable harm - its trade organizations ignored dentists' calls for restricting intake, and instead deflected the debate elsewhere, influencing public health research in food producers' favor. (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Actions taken by the sugar industry to impact the NIDR's NCP research priorities, which echo those of the tobacco industry, should be a warning to the public health community. (medicalnewstoday.com)
- The scrutiny is needed, the authors say, "to ensure that industry interests do not supersede public health goals. (medicalnewstoday.com)
- New Jersey should not wait for FDA action and move forward with proposed legislation which was approved by the state Assembly's Health and Senior Services Committee," said co-author Cristine Delnevo, and Director of Rutgers Center for Tobacco Studies. (newswise.com)
- So, she wondered , "What took the insurer [AXA] so long to recognize the inherent contradiction" between providing health insurance and investing in tobacco? (ibtimes.com)
- Conclusions: Tobacco manufacturers appear to have evaded a critical element of the FSPTCA, the ban on misleading descriptors that convey reduced health risk messages. (harvard.edu)
- It is calling on non-profit organizations with health in their mission to pledge not to work with the tobacco industry and affiliated advertising agencies that aid and abet the industry's effort to hook a new generation of tobacco users. (bmj.com)
- Some ad agencies have tobacco industry clients while working with health organizations. (bmj.com)
- Vital Strategies is encouraging organisations that care about health to check that their current suppliers don't work with the tobacco industry. (bmj.com)
- Ironically just last month (July 2007), 148 nations including India met at the Second Conference of Parties (COP2) to the global tobacco treaty and committed themselves to develop specific guidelines for protecting health policy from tobacco industry interference. (citizen-news.org)
- Article 5.3 of the FCTC obligates Parties to "protect these [public health] policies from commercial and other vested interests of the tobacco industry. (citizen-news.org)
- In addition, the pouches should carry health warnings in both English and Hindi stating that "tobacco use leads to painful death" covering 80% of the pack area while the remaining 20% space could be used to print the name of the brand, company, ingredients and weight. (citizen-news.org)
- Unfortunately, Big Tobacco's interference in health policy continues to be one of the greatest threats to the global tobacco treaty's implementation and enforcement. (citizen-news.org)
- How to identify science being bent: the tobacco industry's fight to deny second-hand smoking health hazards as an example. (semanticscholar.org)
- Getting the public health community to engage with retailers in the same way at the tobacco industry does so that they are more informed of both sides of the argument. (bath.ac.uk)
- This information can be used to understand how an industry operates in order to inform the most effective public health policies. (bath.ac.uk)
- These attacks must be seen for what they are: An orchestrated effort by the tobacco industry and its political allies to protect the industry's profits at the expense of our nation's children and our health. (ishn.com)
- Despite tobacco industry marketing, there is no evidence that filters have any proven health benefits. (environewsnigeria.com)
- [ 1 ] A priority of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is to develop innovative, rapid-response surveillance systems for assessing changes in tobacco use and related health outcomes. (medscape.com)
- It underscores the seriousness of tobacco use, its relationship to other adolescent problem behaviors, and the responsibility of all citizens to protect the health of our children. (cdc.gov)
- Both the duration and the amount of tobacco use are related to eventual chronic health problems. (cdc.gov)
- Tobacco or health in the European Union. (adicciones.es)
- Instead, the labels serve as disclaimers to the public regarding the incontestable health consequences of using tobacco. (findlaw.com)
- Seeing Old Friends & Thinking About Capacity Last week I ducked out of day 2 of the National Coalition for LGBT Health meeting to zip up to NIH-land where the last ever meeting was being held for the Tobacco Research Network on Disparities (TReND). (lgbthealthlink.org)
- by Scout Reporting from Tobacco Research Network on Disparities (TReND) Meeting, October 27, 2010 At the TReND meeting I also got to see a fascinating report on what health care reform means for disparity populations from Cara James, at the Kaiser Family Foundation. (lgbthealthlink.org)
- Because tobacco dependence is a severe addiction, to protect children's health, caregiver tobacco dependence treatment should be offered or referral for treatment should be provided (such as referral to the national smoker's quitline at 1-800-QUIT-NOW). (aap.org)
- Health care delivery systems should facilitate the effective prevention, identification, and treatment of tobacco dependence in children and adolescents, their parents, and other caregivers. (aap.org)
- The Transnational Tobacco Industry and Oral Health. (bvsalud.org)
- Public health leaders in Indiana agreed that the independent agency model was effective in reducing the costs associated with tobacco-use-related disease and death. (cdc.gov)
- Aim: To identify the profile and selfperceived oral health among workers from a furniture industry. (bvsalud.org)
- The industry used front groups to conceal its involvement because public knowledge of the industry's involvement increases support for legislation controlling smoking. (nih.gov)
- The federal legislation was put forward in the Senate by Democrat Tim Kaine and Republican Mitch McConnell, the majority leader who has long been seen as a friend to the tobacco industry. (kunc.org)
- While the industry claims to have changed its ways, it continues to use sophisticated methods to undermine meaningful legislation. (citizen-news.org)
- Analysis of empirical and historical evidence pertaining to tobacco and food industry practices, messages, and strategies to influence public opinion, legislation and regulation, litigation, and the conduct of science highlights important lessons that can be learned from the tobacco experience and recommends actions for the food industry. (semanticscholar.org)
- Following the Polluter Pays Principle, they have successfully implemented "extended producer responsibility legislation" which makes the tobacco industry responsible for clearing up the pollution it creates. (environewsnigeria.com)
- Chairperson Nation Development Organization Tehseen Fawad, Representative of Sparc Khalil Ahmad, Naveed Abbasi Other participants in the press conference said that tobacco is a major cause of heart and other deadly diseases including cancer. (pakobserver.net)
- Instead, they are being used to grow deadly tobacco plants, while more and more land is being cleared of forests. (environewsnigeria.com)
- It is suggested that anti-industry attitudes may affect smoking relapse following cessation, and recruits who had been smoking upon entry into BMT and who had acknowledged industry deception were less likely to report current smoking. (semanticscholar.org)
- What we essentially need are quality tobacco cessation clinics to be integrated within the existing healthcare setup by training the healthcare professionals to provide cessation facilities. (theseoultimes.com)
Ties to the tobacco industry3
- The center identified at least 10 GRAS panelists - including four of the most frequently hired experts - who have in the past had ties to the tobacco industry, according to a review of tobacco industry documents archived by the University of California, San Francisco. (wuwf.org)
- We should not be blinded to the fact that a huge amount of the vaping industry has ties to the tobacco industry. (medscape.com)
- A new academic study confirms that front groups with longstanding ties to the tobacco industry and the billionaire Koch brothers planned the formation of the Tea Party movement more than a decade before it exploded onto the U.S. political scene. (southdacola.com)
- Rob Crane, a physician at Ohio State University, has been campaigning to raise the minimum age for more than two decades through his group Tobacco 21 . (kunc.org)
- As I learned from Robert Jackler , MD, chair of otolaryngology at Stanford, the relationship between the Olympics and tobacco industry grew to be quite close over the next four decades, until the International Olympic Committee (IOC) adopted a tobacco-free policy. (stanford.edu)
- We rely on contributions from individuals, philanthropic foundations, corporations and other non-profit organizations to continue working toward a tobacco-free future. (tobaccofreekids.org)
- In the 1980s and 1990s, the industry directed its lobbying activities to Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates, specifically aiming to prevent consensus on harmonized and unified tobacco taxation. (who.int)
- Working through lawyers and public relations firms, Philip Morris sought to organize other industries to participate in the "sound science" movement, masking its own involvement. (brightsurf.com)
- Ben Zipursky, a Fordham University School of Law professor who specializes in product liability, said it was ironic the ruling came from the same court that recently affirmed a nearly $80 million punitive damages award against tobacco giant Philip Morris after it was struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court. (breakinglegalnews.com)
- Similar tobacco marketing patterns and advertising prevalence have been found in comparisons made with urban independent newspapers in the nine other states. (confex.com)
- More than 170,000 people die each year from tobacco-related diseases. (pakobserver.net)
- Those are the allegations of researchers who have trawled a previously unexplored source of industry documents from the 60s. (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Cristin Kearns and her co-researchers from the University of California San Francisco say in their paper that the Adams documents also show an industry that snuggled up to the leadership of the US National Institute of Dental Research (NIDR) - which was deciding national priorities for dental research. (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Researchers may get lab support to do research that is obviously beneficial to the vaping industry, and makes it look more credible," Vestbo explained. (medscape.com)
- This marketing approach provides free bar advertising in weekly tobacco-sponsored advertisements aimed at young adults, bar paraphernalia with tobacco logos, periodic events and visits by tobacco promotional teams or bands, sometimes paired with distribution of free tobacco samples or merchandise. (confex.com)
- The resulting examination of the advertising and promotional activities of the tobacco industry, as well as the review of research on the effects of these activities on young people, marks an important contribution to our understanding of the epidemic of tobacco use in the United States and elsewhere. (cdc.gov)
- SRITA's repository of tobacco advertising supports scholarly research and public inquiry into the promotional activities of the tobacco industry. (stanford.edu)
- The tobacco industry documents : what they are, what they tell us, and how to search them : a practical manual. (who.int)
- Asia is where tobacco's search for new horizons began and where the industry came to rely most on Washington's help. (washingtonpost.com)
- The tobacco industry's key strategy to challenge anti-tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship (TAPS) policy is arguing against comprehensive bans. (who.int)
- But, says Mr Fishburn, a bigger worry is the ambitious plan by China's huge state tobacco monopoly to become a big exporter of cut-price smokes to the rest of the region. (economist.com)
- It is caused directly by the tobacco industry's insidious and even illegal practices. (tobaccofreekids.org)
- However, those who study tobacco industry practices would not be surprised to hear that our research found this was very far from what actually happened. (stanford.edu)
- Greenwashing refers to the practice used by controversial industries to market their goods and/or image as environmentally friendly 9 in an effort to increase product sales and divert public attention from their own environmentally damaging practices. (tobaccotactics.org)
- It is also asking organisations such as promoters, not to allow tobacco sponsorship. (bmj.com)
- For a sunset industry, tobacco's recent performance has been stellar," Felsted added. (ibtimes.com)
- Tobacco industry interference has been particularly strong against efforts to increase tobacco taxes. (who.int)
- Until recently, the Belarusian tobacco industry - which centers around the large Neman Tobacco Factory in the country's west - was almost entirely controlled by the state, a legacy of the country's history as a Soviet republic with a planned economy. (occrp.org)
- Western tobacco firms, their home markets shrinking, have turned their attention to developing Asia, drawing fire from anti-smoking groups. (economist.com)
- Tobacco firms are wriggling around the new restrictions. (economist.com)
- Another big obstacle is that Asia's governments are addicted to the huge revenues they earn from both tobacco taxes and the profits of state tobacco firms. (economist.com)
- And Asia's tobacco firms, in the short term, says Mr Fishburn, need fear neither higher taxes nor tougher advertising bans: they have so much scope to improve their efficiency that they could boost profits even in a shrinking market. (economist.com)
- Lobby groups accuse the tobacco industry of pushing a false economic prosperity narrative among farmers, farmers are food insecure compared to peers who ditched the leaf. (co.ke)
- New research shows just how bad tobacco farming can be for the environment and for farmers. (theconversation.com)
- WHO urges countries and cities to follow this example, as well as give support to tobacco farmers to switch to sustainable crops, implement strong tobacco taxes (that could also include an environmental tax) and offer support services to help people quit tobacco. (environewsnigeria.com)
- I don't think it's any news to North Carolina tobacco farmers that the American public as a whole is smoking less," said Quayle. (washingtonpost.com)
- Tobacco dependence prevention and treatment should be part of medical education, with knowledge assessed as part of board certification examinations. (aap.org)
- These value-priced long filler cigars are crafted at the most legendary factories in the world with unused tobaccos from the most famous cigars in the industry. (jrcigars.com)
- The law does not apply to flavored premium cigars with a wholesale price (retailer's purchase price) of $12.00 or more and flavored loose-leaf pipe tobacco. (ca.gov)
- Minister Masuka was accompanied by board chairman Mr Stanley Mutepfa and board chief executive Dahlia Garwe, as he toured the hemp and cannabis fields, tobacco curing facilities, tobacco fields and seed potato facilities. (zimbabwesituation.com)
- During the interview, Wadhera said that the legalization of cannabis in Canada will help fuel strong growth in the cannabis industry. (hightimes.com)
- So, any enhancement there as we look to mainstream the use of cannabis and have it become more acceptable in society is a huge positive for the industry overall. (hightimes.com)
- We estimate the legal cannabis industry in the U.S. to be roughly around $10 billion at the moment. (hightimes.com)
- the U.S. cannabis industry is still hampered by tight restrictions on financial institutions. (hightimes.com)
- They have partnered with Spannabis, Europe's top cannabis expo, to form a super-conference that is a must-attend for anyone that is serious about succeeding in the emerging cannabis industry. (euromonitor.com)
- Knowing each regions' regulatory, attitudinal, and market developments towards medical and recreational cannabis is critical to finding opportunity and understanding the future of one of the most exciting, high-growth industries. (euromonitor.com)
- If these efforts do not weaken or defeat an ordinance, the tobacco industry initiates a referendum petition drive to suspend it to pressure local elected officials to repeal or weaken it. (nih.gov)
- They can Quit Big Tobacco and make a clear statement about their organisational values, use the power of their purses to work against the tobacco epidemic, and pose no risk to their business operations or their missions. (bmj.com)
- Confronting Tobacco Epidemic in an Era of Trade Liberalization. (bvsalud.org)
- In Sri Lanka, where jobs are shifting from the industrial to service sector, workers like members of Food, Beverage and Tobacco Industry Employees' Union (FBTIEU) are forming unions in the hotel and tourism sectors to ensure that the new jobs pay living wages and offer social benefits. (solidaritycenter.org)
- Known as the Roger Adams papers, the archive "relates" to the World Sugar Research Organisation (WSRO), a trade body that, then and now, represents the cane and beet sugar industry. (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Research that could have been harmful to sugar industry interests (specifically, research into methods to measure the propensity of specific foods to cause caries) was omitted from the research priorities identified at the launch of the NCP. (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Gen Market Insights" published latest research report on global Tobacco Pipe market status and forecast, categorizes the global Tobacco Pipe market size (value & volume) by key players, type, application, and region. (openpr.com)
- It is an extensive research report on global Tobacco Pipe industry. (openpr.com)
- Zimbabwe could quintuple earnings from tobacco by promoting research, development and innovation in the tobacco industry to extract more value, Lands, Agriculture, Fisheries, Water and Rural Resettlement Minister Anxious Masuka said yesterday. (zimbabwesituation.com)
- He was touring the Kutsaga Research Station where the Tobacco Research Board is housed. (zimbabwesituation.com)
- Dr Masuka said the Tobacco Research Board was important in the value chain. (zimbabwesituation.com)
- Snoop Dogg's venture capital firm Casa Verde Capital and Imperial Tobacco will invest $10 million in U.K. research firm Oxford Cannabinoid Technologies, it was announced today. (hightimes.com)
- To better understand adolescent tobacco use, this report draws not only on medical and epidemiologic research but also on behavioral and social investigations. (cdc.gov)
- In particular, this research on the social environment of young people identifies key risk factors that encourage tobacco use. (cdc.gov)
- Our premier, award-winning syndicated market research database provides detailed data and analysis on industries, economies, countries and consumers across 781 cities, 210 countries. (euromonitor.com)
- Our consulting team answers your commercial questions with data and insights generated by our research experts, industry knowledge and 1,200 on-the-ground analysts in 100 developed, emerging and frontier markets. (euromonitor.com)
- The Last Tobacco Research Network on Disparities (TReND) meeting! (lgbthealthlink.org)
- only four districts and state governments refer to regulating aspects of 'socially responsible' industry activities, and no notifications include measures to prevent the tobacco industry receiving preferential treatment or requiring that information provided by industry actors be transparent and accountable. (bvsalud.org)
- CalPERS sold off its tobacco holdings in 2001. (ibtimes.com)
- Studies by the World Bank and others suggest that, though raising tobacco taxes succeeds in cutting smoking, it still increases government revenues. (economist.com)