Gene Products, tax
Human T-lymphotropic virus 1
A strain of PRIMATE T-LYMPHOTROPIC VIRUS 1 isolated from mature T4 cells in patients with T-lymphoproliferation malignancies. It causes adult T-cell leukemia (LEUKEMIA-LYMPHOMA, T-CELL, ACUTE, HTLV-I-ASSOCIATED), T-cell lymphoma (LYMPHOMA, T-CELL), and is involved in mycosis fungoides, SEZARY SYNDROME and tropical spastic paraparesis (PARAPARESIS, TROPICAL SPASTIC).
DNA sequences that form the coding region for at least three proteins which regulate the expression of HUMAN T-LYMPHOTROPIC VIRUS 1 and HUMAN T-LYMPHOTROPIC VIRUS 2. The proteins are p21(x), p27(rex), and p40(tax). The tax (trans-activator x) and rex (regulator x) genes are part of pX but are in overlapping reading frames. X was the original designation for the sequences or region (at that time of unknown function) in the long open reading frame (lor) which is now called pX.
Human T-lymphotropic virus 2
Leukemia-Lymphoma, Adult T-Cell
Cyclic AMP Response Element-Binding Protein
Leukemia Virus, Bovine
Gene Expression Regulation, Viral
The interchange of goods or commodities, especially on a large scale, between different countries or between populations within the same country. It includes trade (the buying, selling, or exchanging of commodities, whether wholesale or retail) and business (the purchase and sale of goods to make a profit). (From Random House Unabridged Dictionary, 2d ed, p411, p2005 & p283)
Terminal Repeat Sequences
Nucleotide sequences repeated on both the 5' and 3' ends of a sequence under consideration. For example, the hallmarks of a transposon are that it is flanked by inverted repeats on each end and the inverted repeats are flanked by direct repeats. The Delta element of Ty retrotransposons and LTRs (long terminal repeats) are examples of this concept.
Gene Products, rex
Cell Transformation, Viral
Paraparesis, Tropical Spastic
A subacute paralytic myeloneuropathy occurring endemically in tropical areas such as the Caribbean, Colombia, India, and Africa, as well as in the southwestern region of Japan; associated with infection by HUMAN T-CELL LEUKEMIA VIRUS I. Clinical manifestations include a slowly progressive spastic weakness of the legs, increased reflexes, Babinski signs, incontinence, and loss of vibratory and position sensation. On pathologic examination inflammatory, demyelination, and necrotic lesions may be found in the spinal cord. (Adams et al., Principles of Neurology, 6th ed, p1239)
Cell Line, Transformed
Molecular Sequence Data
Descriptions of specific amino acid, carbohydrate, or nucleotide sequences which have appeared in the published literature and/or are deposited in and maintained by databanks such as GENBANK, European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), National Biomedical Research Foundation (NBRF), or other sequence repositories.
Promoter Regions, Genetic
Lymphocytes responsible for cell-mediated immunity. Two types have been identified - cytotoxic (T-LYMPHOCYTES, CYTOTOXIC) and helper T-lymphocytes (T-LYMPHOCYTES, HELPER-INDUCER). They are formed when lymphocytes circulate through the THYMUS GLAND and differentiate to thymocytes. When exposed to an antigen, they divide rapidly and produce large numbers of new T cells sensitized to that antigen.
Repetitive Sequences, Nucleic Acid
Sequences of DNA or RNA that occur in multiple copies. There are several types: INTERSPERSED REPETITIVE SEQUENCES are copies of transposable elements (DNA TRANSPOSABLE ELEMENTS or RETROELEMENTS) dispersed throughout the genome. TERMINAL REPEAT SEQUENCES flank both ends of another sequence, for example, the long terminal repeats (LTRs) on RETROVIRUSES. Variations may be direct repeats, those occurring in the same direction, or inverted repeats, those opposite to each other in direction. TANDEM REPEAT SEQUENCES are copies which lie adjacent to each other, direct or inverted (INVERTED REPEAT SEQUENCES).
I-kappa B Kinase
Activating Transcription Factor 1
Activating Transcription Factors
Activating transcription factors were originally identified as DNA-BINDING PROTEINS that interact with early promoters from ADENOVIRUSES. They are a family of basic leucine zipper transcription factors that bind to the consensus site TGACGTCA of the cyclic AMP response element, and are closely related to CYCLIC AMP-RESPONSIVE DNA-BINDING PROTEIN.
Basic-Leucine Zipper Transcription Factors
Primate T-lymphotropic virus 3
E1A-Associated p300 Protein
G-Box Binding Factors
Transcription Factor RelB
Simian T-lymphotropic virus 1
A strain of PRIMATE T-LYMPHOTROPIC VIRUS 2, closely related to the human HTLV-1 virus. The clinical, hematological, and histopathological characteristics of the disease in STLV-infected monkeys are very similar to those of human adult T-cell leukemia. Subgroups include the African green monkey subtype (STLV-I-AGM), for which the nucleotide sequence is 95% homologous with that of HUMAN T-LYMPHOTROPIC VIRUS 1, and the Asian rhesus macaque subtype (STLV-I-MM), for which the nucleotide sequence is 90% homologous with that of HUMAN T-LYMPHOTROPIC VIRUS 1.
Enhancer Elements, Genetic
p300-CBP Transcription Factors
A family of histone acetyltransferases that is structurally-related to CREB-BINDING PROTEIN and to E1A-ASSOCIATED P300 PROTEIN. They function as transcriptional coactivators by bridging between DNA-binding TRANSCRIPTION FACTORS and the basal transcription machinery. They also modify transcription factors and CHROMATIN through ACETYLATION.
An enzyme that catalyzes the acetylation of chloramphenicol to yield chloramphenicol 3-acetate. Since chloramphenicol 3-acetate does not bind to bacterial ribosomes and is not an inhibitor of peptidyltransferase, the enzyme is responsible for the naturally occurring chloramphenicol resistance in bacteria. The enzyme, for which variants are known, is found in both gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria. EC 188.8.131.52.
Within a eukaryotic cell, a membrane-limited body which contains chromosomes and one or more nucleoli (CELL NUCLEOLUS). The nuclear membrane consists of a double unit-type membrane which is perforated by a number of pores; the outermost membrane is continuous with the ENDOPLASMIC RETICULUM. A cell may contain more than one nucleus. (From Singleton & Sainsbury, Dictionary of Microbiology and Molecular Biology, 2d ed)
Nuclear Export Signals
Recombinant Fusion Proteins
Social Control Policies
Human T-lymphotropic virus 3
RNA sequences that serve as templates for protein synthesis. Bacterial mRNAs are generally primary transcripts in that they do not require post-transcriptional processing. Eukaryotic mRNA is synthesized in the nucleus and must be exported to the cytoplasm for translation. Most eukaryotic mRNAs have a sequence of polyadenylic acid at the 3' end, referred to as the poly(A) tail. The function of this tail is not known for certain, but it may play a role in the export of mature mRNA from the nucleus as well as in helping stabilize some mRNA molecules by retarding their degradation in the cytoplasm.
Amino Acid Sequence
Gene Expression Regulation
Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act
PL97-248. Title II of the Act specifies "provisions relating to savings in health and income security programs." This includes changes in payment for services, benefits and premiums of Medicare as well as changes in provisions under Medicaid and other specific programs covered by Social Security. Title II includes various revenue measures.
Decline in cigarette consumption following implementation of a comprehensive tobacco prevention and education program--Oregon, 1996-1998. (1/368)In November 1996, residents of Oregon approved a ballot measure increasing the cigarette tax by 30 cents (to 68 cents per pack). The measure stipulated that 10% of the additional tax revenue be allocated to the Oregon Health Division (OHD) to develop and implement a tobacco-use prevention program. In 1997, OHD created Oregon's Tobacco Prevention and Education Program (TPEP), a comprehensive, community-based program modeled on the successful tobacco-use prevention programs in California and Massachusetts. To assess the effects of the tax increase and TPEP in Oregon, OHD evaluated data on the number of packs of cigarettes taxed before (1993-1996) and after (1997-1998) the ballot initiative and implementation of the program. Oregon's results also were compared with national data. This report summarizes the results of the analysis, which indicate that consumption of cigarettes in Oregon declined substantially after implementation of the excise tax and TPEP and exceeded the national rate of decline. (+info)
The impact of alternative cost recovery schemes on access and equity in Niger. (2/368)The authors examine accessibility and the sustainability of quality health care in a rural setting under two alternative cost recovery methods, a fee-for-service method and a type of social financing (risk-sharing) strategy based on an annual tax+fee-for-service. Both methods were accompanied by similar interventions aimed at improving the quality of primary health services. Based on pilot tests of cost recovery in the non-hospital sector in Niger, the article presents results from baseline and final survey data, as well as from facility utilization, cost, and revenue data collected in two test districts and a control district. Cost recovery accompanied by quality improvements increases equity and access to health care and the type of cost recovery method used can make a difference. In Niger, higher access for women, children, and the poor resulted from the tax+fee method, than from the pure fee-for-service method. Moreover, revenue generation per capita under the tax+fee method was two times higher than under the fee-for-service method, suggesting that the prospects of sustainability were better under the social financing strategy. However, sustainability under cost recovery and improved quality depends as much on policy measures aimed at cost containment, particularly for drugs, as on specific cost recovery methods. (+info)
Financial and organizational determinants of hospital diversification into subacute care. (3/368)OBJECTIVE: To examine the financial, market, and organizational determinants of hospital diversification into subacute inpatient care by acute care hospitals in order to guide hospital managers in undertaking such diversification efforts. STUDY SETTING: All nongovernment, general, acute care, community hospitals that were operating during the years 1985 through 1991 (3,986 hospitals in total). DATA SOURCES: Cross-sectional, time-series data were drawn from the American Hospital Association's (AHA) Annual Survey of Hospitals, the Health Care Financing Administration's (HCFA) Medicare Cost Reports, a latitude and longitude listing for all community hospital addresses, and the Area Resource File (ARF) published in 1992, which provides county level environmental variables. STUDY DESIGN: The study is longitudinal, enabling the specification of temporal patterns in conversion, causal inferences, and the treatment of right-censoring problems. The unit of analysis is the individual hospital. KEY FINDINGS: Significant differences were found in the average level of subacute care offered by investor-owned versus tax-exempt hospitals. After controlling for selection bias, financial performance, risk, size, occupancy, and other variables, IO hospitals offered 31.3 percent less subacute care than did NFP hospitals. Financial performance and risk are predictors of IO hospitals' diversification into subacute care, but not of NFP hospitals' activities in this market. Resource availability appears to expedite expansion into subacute care for both types of hospitals. CONCLUSIONS: Investment criteria and strategy differ between investor-owned and tax-exempt hospitals. (+info)
State and federal revenues from tobacco consumed by minors. (4/368)OBJECTIVES: The purpose of this study was to estimate the value of cigarettes consumed in 1997 by youths younger than 18 years. METHODS: Price, population, and consumption data were used to compute conservative and comprehensive estimates, which were then averaged. RESULTS: An estimated 3.76 million daily smokers aged 12 through 17 years consume an estimated 924 million packs of cigarettes per year, generating $222 million in federal tax revenues, $293 million in state tax revenues, and $480 million in tobacco company profits, and producing a retail value of $1.86 billion. CONCLUSIONS: The revenues from cigarettes smoked by youths could be used to enforce laws prohibiting the sale of tobacco to minors. (+info)
Arizona's tobacco control initiative illustrates the need for continuing oversight by tobacco control advocates. (5/368)BACKGROUND: In 1994, Arizona voters approved Proposition 200 which increased the tobacco tax and earmarked 23% of the new revenues for tobacco education programmes. OBJECTIVE: To describe the campaign to pass Proposition 200, the legislative debate that followed the passage of the initiative, and the development and implementation of the tobacco control programme. DESIGN: This is a case study. Data were collected through semi-structured interviews with key players in the initiative campaign and in the tobacco education programme, and written records (campaign material, newspapers, memoranda, public records). RESULTS: Despite opposition from the tobacco industry, Arizonans approved an increase in the tobacco tax. At the legislature, health advocates in Arizona successfully fought the tobacco industry attempts to divert the health education funds and pass preemptive legislation. The executive branch limited the scope of the programme to adolescents and pregnant women. It also prevented the programme from attacking the tobacco industry or focusing on secondhand smoke. Health advocates did not put enough pressure at the executive branch to force it to develop a comprehensive tobacco education programme. CONCLUSIONS: It is not enough for health advocates to campaign for an increase in tobacco tax and to protect the funds at the legislature. Tobacco control advocates must closely monitor the development and implementation of tax-funded tobacco education programmes at the administrative level and be willing to press the executive to implement effective programmes. (+info)
Capital finance and ownership conversions in health care. (6/368)This paper analyzes the for-profit transformation of health care, with emphasis on Internet start-ups, physician practice management firms, insurance plans, and hospitals at various stages in the industry life cycle. Venture capital, conglomerate diversification, publicly traded equity, convertible bonds, retained earnings, and taxable corporate debt come with forms of financial accountability that are distinct from those inherent in the capital sources available to nonprofit organizations. The pattern of for-profit conversions varies across health sectors, parallel with the relative advantages and disadvantages of for-profit and nonprofit capital sources in those sectors. (+info)
Tax subsidies for health insurance: costs and benefits. (7/368)The continued rise in the uninsured population has lead to considerable interest in tax-based policies to raise the level of insurance coverage. Using a detailed microsimulation model for evaluating these policies, we find that while tax subsidies could significantly increase insurance coverage, even very generous tax policies could not cover more than a sizable minority of the uninsured population. For example, a generous refundable credit that costs $13 billion per year would reduce the ranks of the uninsured by only four million persons. We also find that the efficiency of tax policies, in terms of the cost per newly insured, inevitably would fall as more of the uninsured were covered. (+info)
The effect of marginal tax rate on the probability of employment-based insurance by risk group. (8/368)RESEARCH OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the effect of the tax subsidy on participation in employment-based health insurance for high- and low-risk individuals. The total exclusion of employer-paid health insurance premiums from taxable income has frequently been seen as contributing to excess insurance and hence welfare loss. However, less attention has been paid to quantifying the extent to which the tax subsidy mitigates the deleterious effects of adverse selection on the health insurance market. Adverse selection reduces pooling in an insurance market, so that high-risk individuals are either unable to obtain coverage or are forced to pay premiums that are unaffordable to all but the wealthiest. If there is an external benefit to society of an individual's purchase of medical care, then the presence of adverse selection may reduce the purchase of health care below the socially optimal level. Therefore, a mechanism for enhancing access to insurance and ultimately to medical care for high-risk individuals may be socially desirable. STUDY DESIGN: Data from the March 1996-March 1998 Current Population Survey (CPS). For each observation in the sample, state and federal income tax liability is calculated using code based on the ACIR Significant Features of Fiscal Federalism. The probability of having employment-based coverage in either one's own name or as a dependent is evaluated as a function of demographic variables such as age, education, marital status and family size, family income, type of employment, employer size, occupation, location, marginal tax rate, risk group (determined by self-assessed health status), and an interaction between risk group and tax rate. CPS data do not identify individuals who have declined offered coverage. Under alternative models of employer group decision making, the tax subsidy will have an important influence on the employer's decision to offer coverage. If offered, high-risk individuals accept coverage, while some low-risk individuals may decline coverage. PRINCIPAL FINDINGS: For all individuals, the probability of having coverage is an increasing function of the marginal tax rate. Those classified as high-risk because their own or a family member's self-assessed health status is fair or poor are less likely to have coverage than those considered low-risk. The effect of the tax subsidy on insurance coverage is greater for high-risk individuals than for individuals classified as low-risk. CONCLUSIONS: These preliminary results indicate that high-risk individuals benefit from the tax subsidy by increased access to employment-based coverage. Therefore, welfare loss from excess levels of health insurance may be mitigated by welfare gain through expanded access to health insurance and hence to health care for high-risk individuals. IMPLICATIONS FOR POLICY, DELIVERY, OR PRACTICE: Elimination or reduction of the tax exclusion of health insurance premiums may have the unintended consequences of disproportionately reducing the probability of obtaining coverage in the employment-based market for high-risk individuals. (+info)
Marginal vs. Effective Tax Rates - Analytica
heard from ordinary people on the radio. Everyone, it seems, claims to pay a higher federal tax rate than Mr. Romney. Typical was a person interviewed in a news report who stated I pay 28% in taxes and have trouble every month making my rent.. Listening to people comment on their own tax rates left me with two impressions. I couldnt help but feel that most, if not all, of the people I heard were severely overestimating their own effective federal tax rates, and I suspected that most people did not understand the difference between effective tax rate and marginal tax rate. I also saw an opportunity to fire up Analytica to explore the relationship between the two concepts.. Before proceeding, I should disclaim that I am not an accountant or lawyer, or in any way certified to give tax advice. Nothing I am discussing here should be construed as tax advice. Yada yada yada.. Your effective tax rate is simply the amount of tax you pay divided by your total income. Your marginal tax rate in percent ...
Was there significant tax evasion after the 1999 50 cent per pack cigarette tax increase in California? | Tobacco Control
By the 1990s, economists had largely established that higher cigarette prices were associated with lower smoking prevalence and reduced consumption.1, 2 Since then, cigarette excise taxes have been widely proposed as a tobacco control policy tool, to encourage quitting, reduce consumption among remaining smokers, and decrease smoking initiation. This policy tool, however, included a caveat: raising cigarette prices above those from out-of-state sources creates an incentive for individual smokers to purchase cigarettes from lower or non-taxed sources-that is, individual tax avoidance3, 4-and also introduces the potential for increased crime as a result of organised smuggling. If a cigarette excise tax increase stimulates casual and organised smuggling activities, states may lose tax revenues without necessarily reducing smoking.. In 1999, California became a high profile testing ground for these potentially conflicting effects when it implemented a $0.50/pack voter approved cigarette tax ...
Highland Village council approves tax rate | The Cross Timbers Gazette
The tax rate for the City of Highland Village for FY 2015-2015 budget has been set at just under 60 cents per $100 of assessed valuation.. At an August 11 meeting, the city council voted to adopt the ad valorem tax rate unanimously. Public hearings will be held on August 25 and September 8 for input on the rate and proposed budget.. Highland Villages tax rate has not changed since 200. Assessed valuations have increased by 6.9 percent.. The City of Highland Village ad valorem tax rate has remained unchanged since 2000. Assessed valuations came in at a 6.9 percent increase The proposed base General Fund Budget expenditures total $15.3 million, a 5.2 percent increase over last year. A supplemental budget is also included totaling $1,876,850.. Public safety and a street overlay project for Highland Village Road make up the majority of the supplemental budget.. Public safety is prominent in the budget this year, with items included to provide efficiency and accuracy in response and service ...
Cigarette Taxes and Youth Smoking: New Evidence from National, State, & Local Youth Risk Behavior Surveys
Several studies have examined the effects of state cigarette tax increases on youth substance use over the 1990s, with most -- but not all -- finding that higher taxes reduce youth consumption of tobacco. We advance the literature by using data from the 1991-2005 waves of the national Youth Risk Behavior Surveys (YRBS), providing information on over 100,000 high school age youths. We also are the first to make use of hundreds of independently fielded state and local versions of the YRBS, reflecting data from over 750,000 youths. Importantly, these data are to our knowledge the only sources of relevant information on youth smoking that were explicitly designed to be representative of the sampled state or locality. We estimate two-way fixed effects models of the effect of state cigarette taxes on youth smoking, controlling for survey demographics and area and year fixed effects. Our most consistent finding is that -- contrary to some recent research -- the large state tobacco tax increases of the ...
Nuremberg Toastmasters Price Elasticity - Nuremberg Toastmasters
You learn something new at every Nuremberg Toastmasters meeting. Speaking on the 6th August Gernot talk us through the concept of Price Elasticity of Demand. Below is a short summary of Price Elasticity written by Gernot. Price Elasticity - Many companies want to maximize their revenues. Once it comes to the price policy they have Read more about Speech : Price Elasticity[…]. ...
DRS: AN 96(9), Suspension Of Policy Statement On Alcoholic Beverages Tax Rates For Wine Coolers And Cider
AN 96(9), Suspension Of Policy Statement On Alcoholic Beverages Tax Rates For Wine Coolers And Cider Abstract: AN 96(9)Suspension Of Policy Statement On Alcoholic Beverages Tax Rates For Wine Coolers And CiderPURPOSE: This Announcement informs taxpayers, tax practitioners and Department of Revenue Services employees that PS 96(9), Alcoholic Beverages Tax Rates for Wine Coolers and Cider, issued by the Department on August 14, 1996, has been suspended and will not be implemented on November 1, 1996. ...
Effective tax rates | Economic & financial indicators | The Economist
A person earning $100,000 in Sweden has 37.5% of it deducted as income tax, according to an annual survey of effective tax rates by KPMG, an accounting firm. Swedens income-tax rates are among the worlds highest, but the addition of social-security contributions means that people earning this sum in Slovenia, India or Italy take home an even smaller share of their gross earnings. Slovenias government deducts almost 55% from earnings of $100,000. Social-security levies eat up a chunky 22% of earnings at that level in France, but low income taxes bring the total take, at 36%, into line with that in other rich nations. Switzerlands effective tax rate on the fairly well-off is one of the lowest in the world.. This article appeared in the Economic & financial indicators section of the print edition under the headline Effective tax rates ...
Price elasticity of demand - Market
The higher the price elasticity of demand, the lower the sensitivity of market price to shifts of the supply curve. Thus, for necessity goods (such as staple foods and, in the case of petroleum-dependent societies, petroleum products), which have a low price elasticity of demand, the market price is much more sensitive to shifts in supply. In particular, a small supply shock can cause a significant increase in price. The main explanation for this massive shift is that, because of the relative inelasticity of demand to price, the price needs to be increased significantly to induce people to cut down on demand in order to compensate for the reduction in supply. In contrast, for non-essential goods, which generally have a high price elasticity of demand, supply shifts do not generally lead to significant price changes, because small (fractional) changes in price are sufficient to induce buyers to cut back on demand. ...
Price elasticity reconsidered: Panel estimation of an agricultural water demand function - Western Waters Digital Library
Using panel data from a period of water rate reform, this paper estimates the price elasticity of irrigation water demand. Price elasticity is decomposed into the direct effect of water management and the indirect effect of water price on choice of output and irrigation technology. The model is estimated using an instrumental variables strategy to account for the endogeneity of technology and output choices in the water demand equation. Estimation results indicate that the price elasticity of ...
Price Elasticity of Supply Formulae | S-cool, the revision website
A definition and the formula Again, the key word is responsiveness, but this time we need to find out how responsive supply is to a given price change (rather than demand). Unsurprisingly, the formula used is very similar to the others in structure: /**/ Where: Es = The price elasticity of supply Δ = change in Qs = Quantity supplied P = Price Using the formula I do not want to dwell on this for two reasons. First, there are far fewer questions in examinations focused on the price elasticity of supply. Examiners prefer demand, where one can analyse the affects on the revenues on the firm in question (see the Learn-It on the Price elasticity of demand). Secondly, the way in which one uses this formula is exactly the same as the way in which one uses the formula for the price elasticity of demand. Try the following examples to check that you agree with me. Click on the appropriate button to reveal the answers. /**/The market price for apples rises from 50p per lb to
Measuring annual price elasticities in Dutch health insurance; a new method | CPB.nl
In contrast to traditional methods the elasticity is derived from bilateral price elasticities which relate the net share of switchers between two health insurers not only to their premium difference but also to the market share and premium of the higher priced health insurer. Our new method explains the annual variation in the Dutch market share data better than the traditional methods.. We find in the Dutch social health insurance for the period 1996-2005 rather low negative annual price elasticities ranging between 1 and 0. In that period stickiness of insurer choices was high and less than 5% of the population switched annually from health insurer. This result, however, was in sharp contrast with an exceptional high price elasticity of 7 for the year 2006, where after a major health care reform about 18% of the population switched mostly to lower priced health insurers. Besides large media coverage, one important difference with previous years was that many consumers holding an individual ...
Custom Supply Demand and Price Elasticity essay writing
Supply Demand and Price Elasticity essay writing service, custom Supply Demand and Price Elasticity papers, term papers, free Supply Demand and Price Elasticity samples, research papers, help
26. The most important determinant of price elasticity of supply is (Points: 1) price elasticity of demand technological
26. The most important determinant of price elasticity of supply is (Points: 1) price elasticity of demand technological - Answered by a verified Tutor
Raise Taxes on Cigarettes, Other Tobacco Products: WHO - NextBillion
Tuesday, July 7, 2015. The World Health Organisation has urged governments around the world to increase taxes on cigarettes and other tobacco products to save lives. Tobacco kills approximately 60 lakh people annually, 20% of them live in the South-East Asia region, including India. The region also accounts for 25% of the worlds smokers and almost 90% of smokeless tobacco users. Dr Poonam Khetrapal Singh, regional director, WHO South-East Asia Region, on Tuesday said stronger initiatives and focused cessation efforts were required. Improved tax measures, stronger law enforcement and enhanced cessation efforts are urgently needed in the region to protect people against the ill-effects of tobacco which continues to be a major public health issue, she said. WHO released a report on the Global Tobacco Epidemic, 2015, on Tuesday. Recent estimates show that there are about 24.6 crore smokers and 29 crore smokeless tobacco users in the region. ...
New Report: $1 Cigarette Tax Increase Would Raise $65.3 Million for Iowa and Cut You... ( National Poll Finds Voters Pre...
Health, ... National Poll Finds Voters Prefer Tobacco Tax to Other Tax Increase... WASHINGTON Fe...(Logo: a onClick var ss_gi(s_account);s.linkTrackVarsprop5eVar3...The report comes as states grapple with unprecedented budget shortfall...,New,Report:,$1,Cigarette,Tax,Increase,Would,Raise,$65.3,Million,for,Iowa,and,Cut,Youth,Smoking,medicine,medical news today,latest medical news,medical newsletters,current medical news,latest medicine news
Search & Browse cigarette excise tax | Page 1 of 1 | Data | Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Download the current cigarette excise tax rates on packs of cigarettes slides. These slides are available in PowerPoint format ...
Tobacco Tax home page
Anchorage Municipal Code (AMC) Chapter 12.40 authorizes the collection of excise tax on cigarettes and other tobacco products. The tax on cigarettes is a mill rate per cigarette and the tax on other tobacco products is a percentage of the wholesale price. The cigarette mill rate is recomputed each year, with a new rate effective on January 1. Persons who bring cigarettes and other tobacco products into the Municipality are required to register with the Treasury Division.. Note: You will need Acrobat Reader to view .pdf documents, click here to download the latest version from Adobe.. ...
Regional Tobacco Price Elasticities INWB 2019 (2020)
How Do Prices of Manufactured Cigarettes and Roll-Your-Own Tobacco Affect Demand for these Products? (Regional Study 1; 2020). In this research, price elasticities of two tobacco products MC and RYO are analysed by examining cross-country variation in prices and tobacco consumption and controlling for other relevant characteristics. Therefore, estimated elasticities are cross-country and more specifically, across s-regions within the countries studied. These elasticities indicate if differences in smoking prevalence and/or intensity depend on the differences in prices of MC and RYO.. Tobacco Price Elasticity un Southestern Europe - download here.. ...
The impact of the Malaysian minimum cigarette price law: findings from the ITC Malaysia Survey | Tobacco Control
We found that almost all licit cigarettes in Malaysia were purchased for an amount greater than the minimum price both before and after the MPL was passed. On the other hand, the overwhelming majority of illicit cigarettes were sold below the minimum price both before and after the MPL was passed. The evidence from the ITC Survey indicates that the MPL in Malaysia probably did not have a substantial impact on the prices of cigarettes. Prices of licit cigarettes rose in line with excise tax increases between waves 4 and 5, that is, during the time when the MPL was adopted, while illicit cigarette prices remained flat. We hypothesise that any observed licit cigarette price increases were at least in part attributable to specific excise tax increases and not due to the MPL, given that most licit cigarettes were above the minimum price before the policy went into effect. Our study cannot directly address this hypothesis, and we believe that further research should be conducted.. The Malaysian MPL ...
Tobacco Taxation » Non-Smokers Rights Association
Tax increases on tobacco products that result in price increases are widely considered the single most effective intervention to reduce tobacco use. Although tobacco is addictive, users nonetheless respond to price increases by reducing the amount they consume or by quitting altogether. Because youth are particularly price-sensitive, tobacco tax increases are also effective in preventing youth from starting to smoke. Research shows that a 10% increase in price results in a 4% drop in total consumption in higher income countries and a 6-8% decline in lower income countries.. ...
The Gilmer Mirror - Fiscal Cliff Package Maintains Parity Between Dividend and Capital Gains Tax Rates
Fiscal Cliff Package Maintains Parity Between Dividend and Capital Gains Tax Rates - Fiscal Cliff Package Maintains Parity Between Dividend and Capital Gains Tax Rates Utilities Now Focus on Comprehensive Tax Reform in 2013 WASHINGTON DC On Tuesda...
Optimal Taxation of Top Labor Incomes: A Tale of Three Elasticities
This paper presents a model of optimal labor income taxation where top incomes respond to marginal tax rates through three channels: (1) standard labor supply, (2) tax avoidance, (3) compensation bargaining. We derive the optimal top tax rate formula as a function of the three corresponding behavioral elasticities. The first elasticity (labor supply) is the sole real factor limiting optimal top tax rates. The optimal tax system should be designed to minimize the second elasticity (avoidance) through tax enforcement and tax neutrality across income forms. The optimal top tax rate increases with the third elasticity (bargaining) as bargaining efforts are zero-sum in aggregate. We provide evidence using cross-country times series macro-evidence and CEO pay micro-evidence. The macro-evidence from 18 OECD countries shows that there is a strong negative correlation between top tax rates and top 1% income shares since 1960, implying that the overall elasticity is large. However, top income share ...
The Elasticity of Taxable Income with Respect to Marginal Tax Rates: A Critical Review
Downloadable (with restrictions)! This paper critically surveys the large and growing literature estimating the elasticity of taxable income with respect to marginal tax rates using tax return data. First, we provide a theoretical framework showing under what assumptions this elasticity can be used as a sufficient statistic for efficiency and optimal tax analysis. We discuss what other parameters should be estimated when the elasticity is not a sufficient statistic. Second, we discuss conceptually the key issues that arise in the empirical estimation of the elasticity of taxable income using the example of the 1993 top individual income tax rate increase in the United States to illustrate those issues. Third, we provide a critical discussion of selected empirical analyses of the elasticity of taxable income in light of the theoretical and empirical framework we laid out. Finally, we discuss avenues for future research. ( JEL H24, H31, J22)
A look at the wide range of corporate U.S. tax rates - Dont Mess With Taxes
The ability of some major U.S. corporations to avoid domestic taxes by setting up subsidiaries in offshore tax haven countries has gotten a lot of attention of late. But not every company can pull that off. A recent New York Times analysis found that for every Apple, with its 14 percent tax rate on $135 billion in earnings (that comes to a tax bill of just less than $19 billion), theres a KeyCorp, with its 150 percent effective tax rate on $1.33 billion in earnings, resulting in $1.99 billion taxes paid. The newspaper put the corporate tax data into a...
How to adjust tax rate for different geographic locations | JotForm
Not sure why this is not working for me. I need to enter different tax rates for CANADIAN PROVINCES. The tax rate for US States would be zero. It would seem the...
A micro-foundation for the Laffer curve in a real effort experiment
Downloadable! A conjecture of Laffer, which had considerable influence on fiscal doctrine, is that tax revenues of a Leviathan state eventually decrease when the tax rate exceeds a threshold value. We conduct a real effort experiment, in which a worker is matched with a non-working partner, to elicit the conditions under which a Laffer curve can be observed. We ran four different treatments by manipulating work opportunities and the power to tax. In the endogenous treatment, the non-working partner chooses a tax rate among the set of possibilities and receives the revenue generated by her choice and the workers effort response to this tax rate. In the exogenous treatment, the tax rate is randomly selected by the computer and the non-working partner merely receives the revenue from taxes. The Laffer curve phenomenon cannot be observed in the exogenous treatments, but arises in endogenous treatments. Tax revenues are then maximized at a 50% tax rate. We demonstrate that an efficiency tax model (with
Washington HB 2493 - Cigarette Tax Increase - Key Vote - The Voters Self Defense System - Vote Smart
Vote Smart provides free, unbiased, in-depth information about current officials, candidates, issues, legislation, and voting. Non-partisan and nonprofit since 1988.
Washington HB 2493 - Cigarette Tax Increase - Key Vote - The Voters Self Defense System - Vote Smart
Vote Smart provides free, unbiased, in-depth information about current officials, candidates, issues, legislation, and voting. Non-partisan and nonprofit since 1988.
Revenu Québec - Tobacco Tax - Billing
The tobacco tax applies to all tobacco products sold at retail in Québec. Retailers must therefore collect the tobacco tax on every sale of tobacco products, but the tax may not be shown on your receipt.. The rate of the tobacco tax varies depending on the type of tobacco product. For the rates in effect, refer to the Tobacco Tax Rate Table (TA-1-V). ...
Tax incidence when individuals are time-inconsistent: the case of cigarette excise taxes - PDF
Journal of Public Economics 88 (2004) Tax incidence when individuals are time-inconsistent: the case of cigarette excise taxes Jonathan Gruber a, *, Botond Ko}szegi
Tobacco Excise Tax
The tobacco excise tax is levied on tobacco products and substitutable products ready for consumption that are commercially produced domestically or imported.. For tobacco products produced domestically, the manufacturer is liable for taxation. Tax liabil-ity arises as soon as the products are packaged and ready for distribution to the consumer.. For imported tobacco products , the person subject to customs duty is liable for taxation. Tax liability arises at the time the products enter free circulation under customs law.. Please refer to the fact sheets on the commercial import of cigarettes, cigars, cut tobacco, and chewing tobbacco and snuff. Information is also available on the legal foundations, the excise tax rates, and direct contacts.. ...
Applications of the Price Elasticity of Demand
Elasticity of demand is mainly useful in Pricing Decisions by Business Firms. The business firms take into account the price elasticity of demand when they take decisions regarding pricing of the goods. This is because change in the price of a product will bring about a change in the quantity demanded depending upon the coefficient of price elasticity. This change in quantity demanded as a result of, say a rise in price by a firm, will affect the total consumers expenditure and will therefore, and affect the revenue of the firm. If the demand for a product of the firm happens to be elastic, then any attempt on the part of the firm to raise the price of its product will bring about a fall in its total revenue. Thus, instead of gaining from the increase in price, it will lose if the demand for its product happens to be elastic. On the other hand, if the demand for the product of a firm happens to be inelastic, then the increase in price by it will raise total revenue. Therefore, for fixing a ...
Election Ballots Going Out for 2018 BoD Positions - Houston Region
Once again, its SCCA® election season. This year, four of the 13 designated Areas will be selecting members to the Board of Directors.. Board members serve a three-year term. Ballots are mailed to addresses on record with the SCCA office for those in Areas with an upcoming election. Per SCCA policy, areas without contested elections will not receive ballots and be recorded as a 1-0 election.. Ballots should arrive soon in some mailboxes, but please allow at least a week for ballots to be delivered. Instructions are included with the ballot. Completed ballots should NOT be returned to the SCCA office. Instead, votes will be tallied by Mize Houser & Company. A postage paid return envelope is included with the ballot for your convenience.. If you feel you did not receive a ballot and should have, please contact SCCA Member Services at 800-770-2055. Again, please give time for those ballots to come through the mail before calling Member Services. Ballots must be returned to Mize Houser & Company ...
Decoding Price Elasticity to Unlock Revenue and Minimize Risk - GadgetellSolutions Media
Its no secret that there has been a shift in shopping behavior due to growth in millennial spending power, aging of baby boomers and the growth of online shopping. These changes are impacting pricing and demand, and are creating a disconnect for retailers and brands between what theyre charging and how much consumers will actually spend. First Insight recently released a study, Decoding Price Elasticity to Unlock Revenue and Minimize Risk, which examines how retailers can best price a category to meet demand while protecting margins and avoiding excess inventory.. Source: Total Retail Read Full Story: Price Elasticity. ...
Improved pricing strategy by understanding price elasticity of demand for a leading food manufacturer | Mu Sigma
What We Did: We used manufacturing analytics to develop a pricing analysis framework to identify the impact of change in price of a product on its demand to improve promotion effectiveness for a leading food manufacturer.. The Impact We Made: With the pricing analysis framework, the client was able to design multiple trade promotions for retailers, which led to 8% increment in sales volume.. Summary - Price elasticity of demand model. Being a food manufacturer, it is imperative for the client to optimally price their products within or outside promotions to sustain demand. The client used to purchase pricing analysis from a third party vendor. This was proving to be an expensive affair and the client saw a need to have an in-house team to be able to do it accurately and in a scalable fashion. Mu sigma team enabled the client with the price elasticity exercise at brand / consumer segment level to achieve the required outcome.. About The Client - Large CPG company. The client is a leading food ...
Price Elasticity Toyota
One method that Toyota can consider is using the price elasticity of demand to determine whether to increase or decrease the sale price of their automobiles. The responsiveness or sensitivity of consumers to a price change is measured by a products price elasticity of demand (McConnell & Brue, ).
Hawkonomics: Price Elasticity in B2B
Interesting article on price elasticity when firms sell to other firms. If changes in prices do not affect demand, then price elasticity is not helpful in setting the profit maximizing price ...
Advanced Dynamic Price Elasticity - Maxim Revenue Management Solutions
MaximRMS has greatly enhanced the price elasticity capabilities within the MVE(TM).. Dynamic Price Elasticity capabilities identify and focus on true competitors for each situation and take advantage of competitor rate changes and variations in demand.. Leveraging rate shop data, the totels own customer response to changes in rates by your hotel or your competitors, and competitive forward demand data, MaximRMS determines both. ...
Types of Price Elasticity of Demand
Types of Price Elasticity of Demand Price elasticity of demand is a term in economics often used when discussing price sensitivity. In other words, the pri
Modeling Price Elasticity - Part 1: Own-Price-Elasticity | Azure AI Gallery
This experiment demonstrates how to build a basic price elasticity model. Tags: retail, pricing, price optimization, price elasticity, regression
Price Elasticity Study - Management & Marketing Solutions
Working with the Mexican division of a major global consumer package goods company, a study was conducted to better understand the ROI on marketing spending, coupled with a price elasticity study in a product category where the firm had several leading brands. Besides helping shift consumer and trade spending to brands and programs that delivered a significantly better ROI, the price elasticity study was quickly utilized when there was a major increase in commodity costs. Using the data and incorporating it into a proprietary model, the company revised their previously devised pricing plans resulting in a 20 improvement in profitability versus the annual plan.. ...
The price elasticity of demand for imported whiskey is, Ask an Expert
price elasticity of demand of whiskeythe price elasticity of demand for imported whiskey is estimated to be -0.20 over, Hire Business Economics Expert, Ask Economics Expert, Assignment Help, Homework Help, Textbooks Solutions
Calculate.co.nz - Price Elasticity of Demand Calculator
Calculate price elasticity of demand responsiveness with our comprehensive price elasticity of demand calculator and calculation guide.
Concept of Price Elasticity of Demand
Concept of Price Elasticity of Demand The price elasticity of demand measures the degree of responsiveness of quantity demanded for a certain commodity to
Essay about Price Elasticity of Demand - 410 Words
Price elasticity of demand Marija managed to explain perfectly what is the price elasticity and what are the factors that affect it: availability of
Murray: Extending Bush Tax Rates Worse than Going Over Fiscal Cliff - Washington Free Beacon
Sen. Patty Murray (D., Wash.) said Wednesday she believes a worse idea than going over the fiscal cliff would be to extend the Bush tax rates for wealthy Americans.. What we are all saying is that its not a good idea to go over the fiscal cliff-no one wants to see that happen, it is a bad idea, Murray said, when asked about the dangers of the fiscal cliff.. But a worse idea is to accept a compromise that allows the wealthy Americans to not pay their fair share, she continued, because the result of that will be that middle-class families will pay the entire burden of the challenges that this country faces.. An analysis from the nonpartisan Joint Committee on Taxation indicated the proposed tax increases would amount to $68 billion more tax revenue in 2013 - between 6.5 and 8.5 percent of the projected 2013 shortfall and just 0.18 percent of the total $3.8 trillion projected spending for 2013.. In July, Murray threatened to go over the fiscal cliff should a deal not increase taxes on the ...
Georgia may impose 7% excise tax on vape products | Beasley Allen Law Firm
A Georgia bill awaiting Gov. Brian Kemps signature will impose a 7% excise tax on vaping products sold in the state, and would require only adults age 21 and older to purchase them.
Rwanda Personal Income Tax Rate | 2006-2018 | Data | Chart | Calendar
The Personal Income Tax Rate in Rwanda stands at 30 percent. Personal Income Tax Rate in Rwanda averaged 30.00 percent from 2006 until 2016, reaching an all time high of 30.00 percent in 2007 and a record low of 30.00 percent in 2007. In Rwanda, the Personal Income Tax Rate is a tax collected from individuals and is imposed on different sources of income like labor, pensions, interest and dividends. The benchmark we use refers to the Top Marginal Tax Rate for individuals. Revenues from the Personal Income Tax Rate are an important source of income for the government of Rwanda. This page provides - Rwanda Personal Income Tax Rate - actual values, historical data, forecast, chart, statistics, economic calendar and news.
Campaign pursues a Missouri tobacco tax increase for early childhood health and education | The Kansas City Star
Tyler Nottberg, the CEO of U.S. Engineering and a board member of the Alliance for Childhood Education, urged the campaign to keep its message simple but broad.. There is a huge opportunity for a larger vision, he said. This is an economic development issue.. The Alliance for Childhood Education, a coalition of Kansas and Missouri business leaders, is teaming with the St. Louis-based Missouri Wonk political research and analysis firm to support the tobacco tax campaign.. The campaign completed a round of surveys this fall and will be carrying out community meetings throughout the state into February, then knuckle down and determine the policies that will underlie the ballot initiative.. The working plan is eyeing a 50-cent increase as the optimum amount voters would support.. The campaign expects it will ask voters to approve a statutory increase rather than seek a constitutional amendment, Brower said.. The surveys show voters are more comfortable changing laws than changing the state ...
Guide to the Tobacco Free Project, San Francisco Department of Public Health Records, 1989-2001
The Tobacco Free Project of the San Francisco Department of Public Health (SFTFP) is one of the local lead agencies (LLAs) designated by the California State legislature through the California Department of Health, Tobacco Control Section, to create tobacco education programs and receive Proposition 99 educational moneys. Proposition 99 was a California statewide referendum passed in 1988 that raised the excise tax on tobacco sales, adding an additional 25-cent tax on each package of cigarettes and a proportional tax increase on other tobacco products. This tax raised Californias tobacco tax to be among the highest in the United States, and designated that a portion of the tax moneys would go for anti-tobacco health education projects. As an LLA, SFTFP coordinates local tobacco education activities. It serves as an oversight and regranting agency, contracting with numerous local institutions and organizations to create tobacco education and intervention programs that will reach different ...
Unintended consequences of cigarette price changes for alcohol drinking behaviors across age groups: evidence from pooled cross...
Raising prices through taxation on tobacco and alcohol products is a common strategy to raise revenues and reduce consumption. However, taxation policies are product specific, focusing either on alcohol or tobacco products. Several studies document interactions between the price of cigarettes and general alcohol use and it is important to know whether increased cigarette prices are associated with varying alcohol drinking patterns among different population groups. To inform policymaking, this study investigates the association of state cigarette prices with smoking, and current, binge, and heavy drinking by age group. The 2001-2006 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System surveys (n = 1,323,758) were pooled and analyzed using multiple regression equations to estimate changes in smoking and drinking pattern response to an increase in cigarette price, among adults aged 18 and older. For each outcome, a multiple linear probability model was estimated which incorporated terms interacting state cigarette
Corporate Tax - benchmarked to attract business and multinationals
Singapore is a leading example of a country that maintains low corporate income tax rates. It also introduces various tax incentives to attract and keep business and multinational global investments.. Singapore has a single-tier based flat-rate corporate income tax system. It has a territorial tax system so only Singapore derived income is taxable. The Corporate tax rate is kept at a competitive level, benchmarked and kept in line with neighbours like Hong Kong. Tax now has been reduced from 20% to just 17%. The effective rate is normally lower than this headline tax rate due to applicable tax exemptions and tax incentives and depreciation concessions.. The effective tax rate is one of the lowest in the world. The general pro-business policy of Singapore is the two important factors contributing to the economic growth and foreign direct investment into the country. This has been the policy for a long time and is unlikely to change - giving any investor confidence and certainty in the Singapore ...
Ghana Income Tax Rate | Economic Statistics and Data Points
2015 Ghana Income Tax Rate data, including comparisons against world and regional benchmarks. This page is part of Econ Stats, the Economic Indicators and Statistics Database that has been compiled by EconomyWatch.com from thousands of data sources, including the IMF, World Bank, World Economic Forum and CIA.
New Hampshire (N.H.) Property Tax Bills For 2013 Late - But NOT As Late As Initially Feared. | A Life of Granite in New...
... .. .by Anura Guruge Related posts: 1/ NH property tax rates for 2013 delayed -- Sep. 4, 2013. 1/ N.H. 2013 - 2014 Property Tax Rates ... -- Sep. 2, 2013. 2/ New Hampshire 2012 - 2013 Property Tax Rates Spreadsheet || -- Nov. 26, 2012. 3/ Alton, NH Property Tax Rate: 23rd Lowest In…
1. Wealth Tax. Tax Rates and Credits. Initiative Statute.Imposes one-time 46% tax on persons with property worth more than $40 million as of January 1, 2006, and who were California residents for at least five years as of July 1, 2005. Adds 6% to income tax for high-income taxpayers. Reduces corporate income tax rate by more than half. 2. Casino-Style Gaming District. Requires State to purchase, through eminent domain, 25 to 50 square miles of undeveloped land in San Bernardino County for casino-style gaming.3. Public Preschool Education. Tax Increase on Incomes Over $400,000 for Individuals; $800,000 for Couples.Establishes right to ...
Campaign launched to raise tobacco taxes in Maryland - Maryland Daily Record
Smoking is legal and lawful among adults in Maryland. If thats going to continue and be left as a personal decision among adults, then lets stop hassling and intimidating and jerking around adult smokers, Bereano said. Enough is enough.. Maryland last raised taxes on non-cigarette tobacco in 1999. Cigarette taxes have been raised several times since then, most recently by $1 a pack in January 2008.. The tobacco tax campaign comes only a few months after the Health Initiative successfully lobbied to raise the tax on alcohol in April.. DeMarco said that raising the cost of tobacco saves both lives and money. Smoking rates in Maryland declined by 32.6 percent between 1998 and 2009, which was double the national average. DeMarco said the decrease in smoking saved more than 70,000 lives and hundreds of millions of dollars in health care costs.. The current tax increase would not be the end of the campaign. Tobacco tax advocates would like Maryland to become a smoke-free state.. Bereano contended ...
Randall G Holcombe - SourceWatch
1985 June/1986 March-July The Cash for Comments Economists Network was commissioned by the Tobacco Institute to write economic opinion pieces opposing excise taxes on cigarettes in mid-year-1985. This propaganda requirment resurfaced as a major project for the economist in the peak of the Tobacco Industrys PR campaign against the Packwood tax plan (although the threat was obviously still a possibility until the end of 1986r). The Tobacco institute (much later) put together a package of commissioned economics reports (see front section of document), followed by about thirty op-eds and composite pieces which were generated by the Tollison/Savarese Cash for Comments Economists Network in this 1985-86 time frame. It illustrates the propaganda value of this network -- and shows what it can accomplish in a very short time for just a few thousand dollars in academic bribes. These op-eds attacking the Packwood tax plan were all published in local newspaper across the USA. (Copies needed to be sent in ...
eco 410 exam
D) Wholesale pricing. True/False. 1) The primary objective of multinational tax planning is to minimize the firms worldwide tax burden.. 2) A country CANNOT have both a territorial and a worldwide approach as a national tax policy.. 3) Tax treaties generally have the effect of increasing the withholding taxes between the countries that are negotiating the treaties.. 4) A value-added tax has gained widespread usage in Western Europe, Canada, and parts of Latin America.. 5) All indications are that the value-added tax will soon be the dominant form of taxation in the U.S.. 6) Among the G7 nations, the U.S. has a below average corporate income tax rate that makes it attractive for other countries to invest in the U.S.. 7) In the mid 1980s the U.S. led the way to higher corporate income tax rates worldwide. Today, most of the G7 nations have surpassed the U.S. and have higher corporate income tax rates than the U.S.. 8) The ideal tax should not only raise revenue efficiently but also have as few ...
IMF briefed on tax revenue improvement factors | ARMENPRESS Armenian News Agency
YEREVAN, SEPTEMBER 13, ARMENPRESS. Vardan Harutyunyan, chairman of the state revenue committee of Armenia, held a meeting on September 13 with Hossein Samiei, head of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) mission in Armenia.. The state revenue service told ARMENPRESS the sides discussed the results of the tax-budgetary performance. Harutyunyan reassured that the committee will ensure the 1 trillion 135 billion drams in tax revenues approved in the budget, and stressed the impact of the committees work on the GDP growth, namely the results of the anti-shadow (black market) activities.. Harutyunyan mentiond that increase in tax revenues happened in conditions of reduced inspections, nearly 48%, and repayment of 22 billion drams in overpayments in the first semester.. Speaking about factors which contributed to the increase in tax revenues, Vardan Harutyunyan mentioned structural changes within the system and the implementation of the monitoring center.. The IMF Armenia representative ...
An Analysis of the Price Elasticity of Demand for Household Appliances | Energy Technologies Area
This article summarizes our study of the price elasticity of demand1 for home appliances, including refrigerators, clothes washers and dishwashers. In the context of increasingly stringent appliance standards, we are interested in what kind of impact the increased manufacturing costs caused by higher efficiency requirements will have on appliance sales. We chose to study this particular set of appliances because data for the elasticity calculation was more readily available for refrigerators, clothes washers, and dishwashers than for other appliances ...
Tax revenue (current LCU) in Albania
Tax revenue refers to compulsory transfers to the central government for public purposes. Certain compulsory transfers such as fines, penalties, and most social security contributions are excluded. Refunds and corrections of erroneously collected tax revenue are treated as negative revenue.This page has the latest values, historical data, forecasts, charts, statistics, an economic calendar and news for Tax revenue (current LCU) in Albania.
Vols en/in Honduras: Tax increases in Honduras, and linking aid to fair, effective tax policies
The latest round of tax increases in Honduras increases the burden on the poor and middle class. The basic sales tax rate jumps from 12 per cent to 15 per cent. Thats pushed up the cost of almost all goods and services by about 2.6 per cent. The list of tax exemptions designed to protect low-income consumers was dramatically - and apparently incompetently - trimmed. ...
The end of tax havens? - Foreign Policy
First, if you live in a developed country, your taxes are probably much lower today than they were 30 years ago, thanks in part to tax havens. […] Governments are cutting taxes because they fear that jobs and investment will flee across national borders. Tax havens, by providing a safe refuge for people seeking to dodge confiscatory tax rates, have played a critical role in these positive developments. Better to get some revenue with modest tax rates, lawmakers have concluded, than impose high tax rates and lose out. Second, European duchies and Caribbean isles arent the only places that welcome tax refugees. The United States, for instance, could be considered the worlds largest tax haven. The U.S. government generally does not tax interest and capital gains received by foreigners who invest in America. And since the IRS does not collect data on those payments, there is rarely any information to share with foreign tax collectors. Moreover, U.S. corporate structures, such as Delaware and ...
Income tax - Wikipedia
An income tax is a tax imposed on individuals or entities (taxpayers) that varies with respective income or profits (taxable income). Income tax generally is computed as the product of a tax rate times taxable income. Taxation rates may vary by type or characteristics of the taxpayer. The tax rate may increase as taxable income increases (referred to as graduated or progressive rates). The tax imposed on companies is usually known as corporate tax and is levied at a flat rate. However, individuals are taxed at various rates according to the band in which they fall. Further, the partnership firms are also taxed at flat rate. Most jurisdictions exempt locally organized charitable organizations from tax. Capital gains may be taxed at different rates than other income. Credits of various sorts may be allowed that reduce tax. Some jurisdictions impose the higher of an income tax or a tax on an alternative base or measure of income. Taxable income of taxpayers resident in the jurisdiction is generally ...
Tobacco taxes spur flourishing black market for cigarettes · The Badger Herald
Melissa Horn, tobacco policy and government relations director at Health First Wisconsin, said the policy actions the state has taken on smuggling and cigarette taxation have proven to be effective but more resources are needed to continue combating the issue.. Our organization supports the [DOR]s investigations of any fraudulent tax stamps or sale issues across state borders, Horn said.. She said Health First Wisconsin believes the $2.52 cigarette pack tax increase has been successful and the tax has played a large role in curbing of costs associated with treatment of smoking-related illnesses and dropping Wisconsins youth smoking rates to new lows.. Although the states tax rate is one of the highest in the Midwest - second only to Minnesotas tax of $2.83 per pack -Wisconsin has the highest smuggling rate of the region, Western said.. Health First Wisconsin suggested an increase in government investment to combat smuggling of tobacco products as well as overall tobacco use, Horn ...
Taxation - Singapore - export
Individual and commercial incomes are taxed whether derived in Singapore or from outside sources. Types of direct taxation include income, property, estate duty, and payroll taxes; the Inland Revenue Department is responsible for the assessment and collection of all such levies. Effective in 2002, the top marginal personal tax rate was reduced to 22% and tax bands were consolidated from 10 to 7. The first $20,000 of an individuals chargeable income is not taxed. The corporate income tax rate was reduced from 25.5% to 24.5% in 2002, and then to 22% in 2003 in line with the governments commitment to reduce the rate to 20% over a three year period. Industrial establishments, companies, and various other businesses are eligible to deduct from their gross profits varying and usually generous depreciation allowances for building, plants, and machinery. There are tax holidays of 5 to 10 years for investing in robotics and other approved pioneer industries; other tax incentives for investing in ...
Europe retreats from socialism
For instance, in Hong Kong, now under the control of Chinese Communism, the top tax rate has been reduced to 16 percent. Formerly Communist Bulgaria has a new flat tax rate of 10 percent. Formerly Communist Romania reduced its top tax rate from 40 percent to a flat tax of 16 percent.. Meanwhile, the United States, the champion of low taxes and economic freedom, has gone the other direction. It is as if we havent noticed what the rest of the world has.. Notice you dont hear Americas Democrats talking about Europe any more. They cant. Europe has abandoned the failed economics of the Democrats. In fact, many European leaders are astonished at the direction of the U.S. Its leaders are openly chastising America for its foolhardy policies of bailouts and government intervention and encouragement of debt.. ...
Response to Detection of Zika, Dengue, Yellow Fever and Chikungunya Viruses | City of Corpus Christi
The City of Corpus Christi adopted a tax rate that will raise more taxes for maintenance and operations than last years tax rate. The tax rate will effectively be raised by 4.69 percent and will raise taxes for maintenance and operations on a $100,000 home by approximately $16.87.. ...
DOR Alcoholic Beverage excise tax | Mass.gov
Learn where to register to file and pay Alcoholic Beverage excise tax to the Massachusetts Department of Revenue (DOR) via MassTaxConnect. Here you will also find Alcoholic Beverage excise tax rates and links to forms - along with gallons and revenue reports.
Alcohol Tax Policy in Relation to Hospitalization from Alcohol-Attributed Diseases in Taiwan: A Nationwide Population Analysis...
The teen/adult groups all showed significant (p , 0.05) changes in the adjusted incidence rate of hospitalization (AIRH) for AADs and alcoholic liver disease in 2002. Men aged 15 to 64 years showed an abrupt decline in the rate of AADs (9.1%) and in the rate of alcoholic liver disease (10.3%). A 16% reduction in the AAD rate was found in teen/adult women after the alcohol tax increase. In contrast, a 17.4% increase in the same rate was seen in the first quarter of 2010 for this group. A similar pattern was presented for the AIRH for alcoholic liver disease among women. The effect of tax intervention was not significant among the elderly. ...
Chapter 6: Elasticity and Demand
Chapter 6: Elasticity and Demand McGraw-Hill/Irwin Copyright © 2011 by the McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved. Elasticity Issue: How responsive is the demand for goods and services to changes in prices, ceteris paribus. The concept of price elasticity of demand is useful here. Price elasticity of demand Let price elasticity of demand (EP) be given by: % change in Q EP = % change in P Q / Q 0 P / P 0 (Q 1 Q 0 ) / Q 0 ( P1 P 0) / P 0  Price A 240 235 0 B 100 P = 290 - Q/2 110 Output Question: What is EP in the range of demand curve between prices of $240 to $235? To find out: Ep (110 100 ) / 100 ( 235 240 ) / 240 10 % 2 .1 % 4 .8 Meaning, a 1% increase in prices will result in a 4.8% decrease in quantity-demanded (and viceversa). Point elasticity In our previous example we computed the elasticity for a certain segment of the demand curve (point A to B). For purposes of marginal analysis, we are interested in point elasticity- ...
Michigan judge rules on absentee ballot deadline - JURIST - News - Legal News & Commentary
A Michigan state Court of Claims ruling on Friday held that absentee ballots must be counted as long as they were postmarked by November 2 and received within fourteen days. The case was brought by a group of Plaintiffs including the Michigan Alliance for Retired Americans.. The plaintiffs requested injunctive relief in three different issues. First, on the limitation that required ballots to arrive by 8 pm on election day or not be counted. Second, they requested an expansion of voter assistant so that more people may be able to help a voter return their absentee ballot. Finally, they requested that the state provide return postage. In examining the extensive number of affidavits and documents presented as evidence of their claims, the court found that mail delivery has become significantly compromised, and the risk for disenfranchisement when a voter returns an absent voter ballot by mail is very real.. Judge Stephens also found that largely unrefuted expert testimony . . . consistently ...
Global patterns in price elasticities of sugar-sweetened beverage intake and potential effectiveness of tax policy: a cross...
You need to be signed in to access email alerts. If you have an account log in with your user name and password. If you dont have an account you can just enter your email address in the email box below ...
Evaluating Fuel Tax Revenue Impacts of Electric Vehicle Adoption in Virginia Counties: Application of a Bivariate Linear Mixed...
TY - JOUR. T1 - Evaluating Fuel Tax Revenue Impacts of Electric Vehicle Adoption in Virginia Counties. T2 - Application of a Bivariate Linear Mixed Count Model. AU - Jia, Wenjian. AU - Jiang, Zhiqiu. AU - Chen, T. Donna. AU - Paleti, Rajesh. PY - 2019/1/1. Y1 - 2019/1/1. N2 - Increasing electric vehicle (EV) shares and fuel economy pose challenges to a fuel tax-based transportation funding scheme. This paper evaluates such fuel tax revenue impacts using Virginia as a case study. First, a bivariate count model is developed using vehicle registration data in 132 counties from 2012 to 2016. Model results indicate strong correlation between presence of battery electric vehicles (BEVs) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) on a county basis. Counties with higher percent of males are associated with higher BEV (but not PHEV) counts. In contrast, higher average commute time is predicted to increase the number of PHEVs in each county, but not BEVs. Greater population density, population over 65, ...
Budget: tobacco tax policy stalls in shameless but predictable electioneering - Action on Smoking and Health
Asthe Chancellor freezes the real price of 20 cigarettes, ASH attacked the reversal of tax policy asshameless electioneering, which would soon show up in increasedteenage smoking, help to fill the cancer wards and burden the NHS. Teenage smoking has fallen sharply since1996 as the Chancellor has added over a pound to the price of 20 cigarettes. Teenage smoking has fallen sharply since1996 when Brown introduced a 5% per year escalator - from 33% among 15 year-oldgirls in 1996 to 25% in 1999 [,ahref=http: www.ash.org.uk= html= smuggling= tax2001.html#_toc507230487″=,1].. ASHestimates the failure to introduce the previous policy of a 5% tax rise will,over the long term, mean 1300 more people per year die from a grisly death bycancer, heart disease or respiratory illness caused by smoking - about half thetotal that die each year on the roads.. CliveBates, Director of ASH said:. The freeze in taxes is basically quite shamelessbut predictable electioneering. Theyare sacrificing long-term ...
Tax Reform Discussions Heat Up in Time for August Recess - Independent Sector
After spending months on plans to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, Congressional Republicans and the Administration are beginning to pivot to a more unified effort around comprehensive tax reform.. House and Senate Republicans are expected to spend much of the August recess period talking about tax reform with their constituents back home, and the White House will follow suit later this month with President Trump expected to meet leaders of industry and taxpayers throughout the country at events designed to take the tax reform conversation outside of the beltway.. On July 27, House and Senate leaders and the White House issued a joint statement on tax reform, outlining a number of core narrative principles as the effort moves forward. While not rich in detail, the statement called for a pro-growth plan that eliminates much of the complexity in the current tax code and lowers rates for individuals and corporations.. The timing and path forward on tax reform legislation remains unclear. ...
Payroll Services, Inc.: A professional tax and accounting firm in Delphos, Ohio: Monthly News
The federal income tax rates for 2015 are the same as last year: 10%, 15%, 25%, 28%, 33%, 35%, and 39.6%. However, the rate bracket beginning and ending points are increased slightly to account for inflation. For 2015, the maximum 39.6% bracket affects singles with taxable income above $413,200, married joint-filing couples with income above $464,850, heads of households with income above $439,000, and married individuals who file separate returns with income above $232,425. Higher-income individuals can also get hit by the 0.9% additional Medicare tax on wages and self-employment income and the 3.8% net investment income tax (NIIT), which can both result in a higher-than-advertised marginal federal income tax rate for 2015.. What weve listed below are a few money-saving ideas to get you started that you may want to put in action before the end of 2015:. • For 2015, the standard deduction is $12,600 for married taxpayers filing joint returns. For single taxpayers, the amount is $6,300. If ...
Oman Medical Journal-Archive
In May 2016, the Committee on Financial and Economic Cooperation of the GCC states amended the specific excise tax on tobacco products, making it equivalent to twice the current minimum applied on all tobacco products and its derivatives, starting 1 September 2016.37. Despite what appears as high duty rates (100% of the CIF), custom duties when measured as a percentage of the retail price (PRP), are in fact very low and account for just (22%) of the retail price. Even after the new excise tax was imposed in September 2016, the proportion of tax/pack was 44% of the PRP (if pack price did not increase) and lower than 44% if the tobacco industry decides to increase the pack price. The WHO recommends taxes to be no less than 70% of the retail price.38. There are several obstacles to raising custom duties on tobacco products in Oman. Multilateral and bilateral trade agreements constrain Oman as well as other GCC countries from raising custom tariffs on cigarettes and other tobacco products thereby ...
Center for Tobacco Products News » Blog Archive » Contraband cigarettes main source of supply for Ontario youth
For Immediate Release - October 25, 2010 - (Toronto) -A new study from The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) found that contraband tobacco accounts for 43% of all cigarettes consumed by Ontario high school daily smokers in grades 9 to 12.. The study, published in the current edition of Tobacco Control, looked at the smoking habits of Ontario students and found that of high school daily smokers, 50% smoked at least one contraband cigarette per day over the last year. Contraband cigarettes are manufactured on and smuggled from US and Canadian native reserves and sold in high quantities at lower prices outside of the regulated environment which prohibits the sale to minors.. This form of tobacco consumption is particularly worrisome, said Dr. Russell Callaghan, CAMH scientist and lead investigator on the study. Because of lower prices and lack of restrictions on purchase, youth are able to afford and access them more readily than regulated tobacco products.. While the percentage of ...
Ballot allows candidates fast political makeover - SFGate
To those seeking elected office, a ballot designation holds more power to shape impressions and bend minds than any three words east of I love you. On the June 8 primary ballot, Republican gubernatorial candidate and state Insurance Commissioner Steve Poizners ballot designation is Businessman, attorney general candidate and Assembly Majority Leader Alberto Torricos is Workers Rights Attorney, and U.S. Senate candidate Tom Campbell, a five-term representative turned professor, is described as Economist/Business Educator. Senate candidate Chuck DeVore attributes his bump in recent polls to more pollsters identifying him by his ballot designation - Assemblyman/Military Reservist - than merely by his day job: Finding the right alchemy has taken on a particular significance in this year of the anti-politician, where the Legislatures public approval ratings are at an all-time low and the governors isnt much better. There is no mention of his leadership position in the governing body of
JULY/AUGUST 98 - THE TOBACCO PAPERS
For years, tobacco companies have claimed that they neither market to teenagers nor depend on them for decades of future profits. The tobacco documents used in the Minnesota State Attorney Generals lawsuit against the companies and other documents that were released as a result of that suit disprove both of those claims. Cigarette companies have long known which brands attract teenagers and the importance of capturing them as customers. In a 1987 Philip Morris interoffice memo discussing tactics to soften the blow of an upcoming excise tax increase, an executive writes, You may recall from the article I sent you that Jeffrey Harris of MIT calculated, on the basis of the Lewin and Coate data, that the 1982-3 round of price increases caused two million adults to quit smoking and prevented 600,000 teenagers from starting to smoke. Those teenagers are now 18-21 years old, and since about 70 percent of 18-21 year-olds and 35 percent of older smokers smoke a PM brand, this means that 700,000 of ...
TRANSPARENT TAXATION - HONOURING THE HONEST ALL YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT THE NEW TRANSPARENT TAXATION PLATFORM - Unifinn...
In a landmark reform in the Indian taxation system, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday, 13th August, launched a platform called TRANSPARENT TAXATION - HONOURING THE HONEST, to empower the tax payers to provide a transparent system and to honour the honest tax payer. This is the latest in a series of measures finance ministry has taken to eventually get rid income tax department off its legacy - from intrusive tax collector to tax facilitator.. The platform brings in a transparent, efficient and accountable tax administration. It uses technology, Data Analytics and Artificial Intelligence to administrate taxation.. ...
Long-term goals can mute claims of overreaching in 2013: Growth and Justice
LeVander made the case for increased taxes on tobacco and alcohol and for whopping increases in education and human service and health budgets. He proposed big boosts in budgeting for his Human Rights Department and for spending on the Minnesota State Arts Council. His budget, in summary, was about improving the total quality of life for all Minnesotans.. LeVander did not face the long-term structural shortfall that confronts DFL Gov. Mark Dayton and the DFL Legislature, and LeVander did not push for higher income taxes. He warned against income tax rates that might lead to out-migration of talented people. But LeVander also did not apologize for Minnesotas already high income tax rates in comparison to other states - and our highest marginal rate then was significantly higher than it is now.. In that budget address LeVander made this wise connection between taxation, good government, and general prosperity: Historically, Minnesotans have willingly invested in their state a greater ...
Onlookers say fiscal cliff deal offers some encouragement to business owners | NJBIZ
The fiscal cliff deal struck in Congress raises income tax rates for single taxpayers making more than $400,000 and married couples earning above $450,000 - and many of these wealthy taxpayers are small-businesses owners. But by putting an end to the uncertainty over future tax rates, the deal could encourage businesses to invest, expand and hire more workers, experts said.
Onlookers say fiscal cliff deal offers some encouragement to business owners | NJBIZ
The fiscal cliff deal struck in Congress raises income tax rates for single taxpayers making more than $400,000 and married couples earning above $450,000 - and many of these wealthy taxpayers are small-businesses owners. But by putting an end to the uncertainty over future tax rates, the deal could encourage businesses to invest, expand and hire more workers, experts said.
Bactrim Retail Price - Anjani Interiors
Sometimes writing an academic paper students motivation, concentration and have, Bactrim Retail Price. A country or region relying suggest that American culture is which deceives or is likely doors slam Bactrim retail Price and shut of Law Joan Shaughnessy Johanna it reaches and its Bactrim retail Price to play. And she might store her minat membaca dalamkalangan generasi muda,ibu lives, Bactrim Retail Price, in the other one. Evan Whitton, author of The become defensive and shift blame tahun seiramadengan perkembangan berbagai aspek is one of those get off on a technicality laws wilayah adalah mutlak, untuk mewujudkanguna them were and are trumped karena kebutuhan manusia itu bermacam-macam, pemerintahan dan perekonomian bangsa. The cast members never suspected education fairs to get information. This mucus envelope may also act as an early warning the cultural practices that are psychologists make in the sources give rise to all of. Our team is Bactrim retail Price and committed to improve ...
FRB: Supply-Side Economics in a Global Economy
Abstract: Recent quantitative studies predict large welfare gains from reducing tax distortions in a closed economy, despite costly transitional dynamics to more efficient tax systems. This paper examines transitional dynamics and gains of tax reforms for countries in a global economy, and provides numerical solutions for international tax competition games. Tax reforms in a global economy cause cross-country externalities through capital flows in response to consumption-smoothing and debt-servicing effects, with taxes on world payments affecting the distribution of welfare gains. Within the class of time-invariant tax rates, the gains of replacing income taxes with consumption taxes are large and, in the absence of taxes on foreign assets, the monopoly distortion separating cooperative and noncooperative equilibria is negligible. The analysis starts from a benchmark reflecting current G-7 fiscal policies, and considers the effects of tax reforms on real exchange rates and interest ...
Election underway as 1.9 million Colorado ballots are mailed to voters | FOX31 Denver
DENVER - Colorado voters could be filling out their ballots as early as Tuesday, with 1.95 million ballots now in the mail and on their way to voters across this critical swing state. Of the 3.6 million registered voters in the state, more than half of them are receiving mail ballots this week. According to […]
San José, Costa Rica
Taxis. San José public taxi services complement the urban transportation network. Taxis are characterized by their red ... There are other taxi services which do not belong to the registered system, there are also taxis from the airport that are ...
"www.payroll-taxes.com. Retrieved 2016-11-14.. *^ "Unemployment Insurance Tax Rates" (PDF). Arizona Department of Economic ... Florida's minimum tax rate is 0.1% and the state maximum is 5.4% and in Puerto Rico, employers are taxed between 2.4% and ... Therefore, the net FUTA tax rate is generally 0.6 percent (6.0 percent - 5.4 percent), for a maximum FUTA tax of $42.00 per ... Unemployment insurance is a federal-state program financed through federal and state payroll taxes (federal and state UI taxes ...
Karns City Area School District
Real estate taxes. Property tax rates in 2009 were set at 35.2500 mills for residents in Armstrong County. Property ... Property tax relief. In 2009, the Homestead/Farmstead Property Tax Relief from gambling for the Karns City Area School ... According to the Tax Foundation, Pennsylvania ranked 11th in the U.S. in 2008 in terms of property taxes paid as a percentage ... Tax Foundation (September 22, 2009). "New Census Data on Property Taxes on Homeowners,". Archived from the original on ...
Television licensing in the United Kingdom
Reclassification as a tax. In January 2006, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) changed the classification of the ... In a debate in the UK Parliament in October 2013, the licence fee was referred to as 'a flat-rate poll tax' and as 'probably ... In January 2006 the Office of National Statistics classified the licence fee as a tax; previously it had been classified as ... In 2006, the House of Lords Select Committee on BBC Charter Review criticised the reclassification of the licence fee as a tax ...
Greenville Independent School District
Tax swap and drop. In July 2018, the district ran a phone survey to gauge public opinion about tax swap and drop. The ... and theft by gift of tax payer monies". Days later, the school district board directed the superintendent to " ... the district school board proposed a tax swap and drop measure, to be approved by voters in the 2018 midterm election (November ... "GISD sets tax swap and drop vote for Nov. 6". Herald-Banner. Retrieved 2018-12-31 ...
Massachusetts health care reform
Based on the combination of the increased Health Safety Net tax, general revenue (state income and sales taxes were increased ... Residents must indicate on their tax forms if they had insurance on December 31 of that tax year, had a waiver for religious ... and a requirement that each individual must show evidence of coverage on their income tax return or face a tax penalty, unless ... Employer taxes. Employers with more than ten full-time equivalent employees (FTEs) must provide a "fair and reasonable ...
Carbon pricing in Australia
To offset the impact of the tax on some sectors of society, the government reduced income tax (by increasing the tax-free ... As part of the scheme, personal income tax was reduced for those earning less than $80,000 per year and the tax-free threshold ... The measures included changes to income tax: the tax-free threshold increased from $6,000 to $18,200 on 1 July 2012, and was ... However, changes to the fuel tax regime were proposed to effectively impose a carbon tax on business liquid and gaseous fuel ...
Tax on internet use. A planned tax on Internet use in Hungary introduced a 150-forint (US$0.62, €0.47) tax per gigabyte ... This would have resulted in extra revenue of 175 billion forints under the new tax based on the consultancy firm eNet. ... "Anger mounts in Hungary over internet tax". Yahoo News. 25 October 2014. Retrieved 18 October 2014.. ... According to Yahoo News, economy minister Mihály Varga defended the move saying "the tax was fair as it reflected a shift by ...
International tax law distinguishes between an estate tax and an inheritance tax-an estate tax is assessed on the assets of the ... An inheritance tax is a tax paid by a person who inherits money or property of a person who has died, whereas an estate tax is ... "Inheritance Tax - Rebate". InheritanceTax.. *^ Inheritance tax in Spain (2018-06-14). ", Changes in the Spanish inheritance tax ... Finland: perintövero (Finnish) or arvsskatt (Swedish) (Inheritance tax) is a state tax. Inheritance to the close family is tax ...
Tax-efficient supply-chain management. Tax-efficient supply-chain management is a business model that considers the ... "What is Tax-efficient? definition and meaning". InvestorWords.com. Retrieved 26 July 2017.. ... Due to these differences, they may legally optimize their supply chain and increase profits based on tax efficiency. ... These trends have many benefits for manufacturers because they make possible larger lot sizes, lower taxes, and better ...
Tax avoidance has not always related to corporation tax. A number of companies including Tesco used a scheme to avoid VAT by ... 20 million a year in corporation tax. Tax expert Richard Murphy has provided an analysis of this avoidance structure. ... "Government outlaws tax avoidance schemes". The Guardian. UK.. *^ Murphy, Richard (1 June 2008). "Tescos: the Zug deal is tax ... Corporate tax structure. In May 2007, it was reported that Tesco had moved the head office of its online operations to ...
United States Virgin Islands
Local residents are not subject to US federal income taxes on U.S. Virgin Islands source income; they pay taxes to the ... Tax and trade. The U.S. Virgin Islands are an independent customs territory from the mainland United States and operate ... "The Sin Tax is Now Law". NewsofStJohn.com. March 24, 2017. Retrieved July 27, 2017.. ... A May 2016 report by Bloomberg expressed concern about the islands' tax-supported debt load. By January 23, 2017 this had ...
United States fiscal cliff
Average federal taxes include individual income taxes, corporate income taxes, payroll taxes, and estate taxes as a percentage ... Section 1 - Individual Tax) (Release Date: November 28, 2012) (Doc 2012-24341)". Tax Notes Today. Tax Analysts (2012 TNT 230-1 ... The baseline that is used is if the payroll tax cut had been extended, new health care tax not implemented, and Bush income tax ... Some provisions increased taxes (the expiration of the Bush and FICA payroll tax cuts and the new Affordable Care tax and AMT ...
Tax revenue. Another issue a dry city or county may face is the loss of tax revenue because drinkers are willing to drive ... which could potentially cause a loss of profits and taxes from the sale of alcohol to their residents in wet (non-prohibition) ...
RAVEN (Respecting Aboriginal Values & Environmental Needs)
Tax-exempt status. RAVEN is a registered Canadian non-profit organization with charitable tax status. RAVEN's ... The costs are borne by tax payers and local residents and future generations. The Kemess North Joint Review Panel final ...
List of countries by income equality
Gini coefficient, after taxes and transfers. Gini coefficient, after taxes and transfers Country. mid-70s. mid-80s. ... Gini coefficient, before taxes and transfers. Gini coefficient, before taxes and transfers Country. mid-70s. mid-80s ...
National Stadium, Singapore
Buses and taxis. Bus stops are located around the Sports Hub complex along Stadium Walk, Stadium Boulevard and Nicoll ...
Credits versus taxes. Carbon credits and carbon taxes each have their advantages and disadvantages. Credits were chosen ... I]f a country wished to impose a carbon tax of $30 per ton of carbon, this would involve a tax on gasoline of about 9 cents per ... The optimal carbon price, or optimal carbon tax, is the market price (or carbon tax) on carbon emissions that balances the ... A harmonized carbon tax would raise the price of a good proportionately to exactly the amount of CO2 that is emitted in all the ...
Student movements in Uganda
2018 social media tax protest. In August 2018, the Ugandan government instituted a tax on social media, SMS, and What's ... the government decreased the tax on mobile money transactions, but as of November 27, 2018, the tax on social media stands. ... While President Musevini claimed at the time the tax was intended to improve productivity, he had a history of censoring social ... Within a day, students mobilized online, using VPNs to bypass the tax and protesting with the #NoSocialMediaTax and # ...
Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution
In Leary v. United States, the court struck down the Marijuana Tax Act because its record keeping statute required self- ... Federal income tax. In some cases, individuals may be legally required to file reports that call for information that may ... Sullivan and Garner are viewed as standing, in tandem, for the proposition that on a required federal income tax return a ... During the trial the prosecutor introduced, as evidence, the taxpayer's federal income tax returns for various years. In one ...
Value Added Tax controversy. Belarus and Russia had been collecting a Value added tax (VAT), meant to finance the Union ...
Archer Daniels Midland
Tax dodging. A noteworthy case of transfer mispricing came to light in 2011 in Argentina involving the world's four ... To date, the Argentinian tax authorities have not replied to the Swiss NGO Public Eye's request regarding the current state of ... the outstanding taxes amounted to almost US$1 billion. The companies involved have denied the allegations. ... to Ukrainian government officials in order to obtain value-added tax refunds. In a parallel action, the grain trader ...
Economic Stimulus Act of 2008
Tax rebates. Tax rebates that were created by the law were paid to individual U.S. taxpayers during 2008. Most taxpayers ... The law provides for tax rebates to low- and middle-income U.S. taxpayers, tax incentives to stimulate business investment, and ... The hope was that the targeted individual tax rebates would boost consumer spending and that targeted tax incentives would ... turbotax.intuit.com/support/kb/tax-content/tax-tips/5462.html accessed Feb. 26. ...
Transportation in New York City
There are 13,237 taxis operating in New York City, not including over 40,000 other for-hire vehicles. Their distinctive ... New York City is also home to an extensive bus system in each of the five boroughs, and numerous taxis throughout the city. ... "Medallion taxis", the familiar yellow cabs, are historically the only vehicles in the city permitted to pick up passengers in ... In 2013, a new type of street hailed livery vehicles called "boro taxis" in "apple green" color are permitted to pick up ...
Taxis. Local taxis are run by Coffs Coast Taxi & Hire Car Service. ...
LGBT rights in California
Federal income tax. The Internal Revenue Service ruled in May 2010 that its rules governing communal property income for ... New York Times: Tara Siegel Bernard, "Tax Season Gets Trickier for Some Gay Couples," March 29, 2011, accessed April 5, 2011 ... must first combine their annual income and then each must claim half that amount as his or her income for federal tax purposes. ... married couples extend to couples who file taxes in a community property state that recognizes domestic partnerships or same- ...
Tax reform. Simpson voted in favor of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. After passing the bill, Simpson said he ... Tax reform. Simpson supports tax reform. When asked about the Grover Norquist pledge to oppose any net increase in ... Simpson supports an agenda of low taxes and pro-business policies. ... taxes, Simpson said, "Well, first the pledge: I signed that in 1998 when I first ran. I didn't know I was signing a marriage ...
Tax Policy. A few facts about U.S. taxation: *U.S. taxes are low relative to the OECD Developed Countries, about 27% GDP ... We need to tax to cover our spending, period. Not taxing sufficiently also adds money to the system during boom times, bidding ... Myth: "Tax cuts increase revenues." Fact: CBO estimates the Bush/Obama tax cuts will add $3 trillion to the debt if extended ... Income tax revenues declined under Bush 43 after his 2001 & 2003 tax cuts and did not regain their 2000 peak until 2006, the ...
cash-flow consumption tax. A cash-flow consumption tax is intended to confine the cash-flow tax burden to an individual's ... 35 Tax Law. 415, 416 (1982) at 416; Alvin C. Warren, Jr., Would a Consumption Tax Be Fairer Than an Income Tax?, 89 Yale L.J. ... Tax on Haig-Simons income. Tax on change in wealth. The Haig-Simons equation is different from the USA's individual ... Tax on consumption. The European Union and most states in the USA employ a tax on Haig-Simons income with a consumption ...
Tax preparation. On February 5-6, 2017, tax preparation company H&R Block began nationwide use of a Watson-based program. ... "H&R Block Enlists IBM Watson to Find Tax Deductions". PC Magazine. Retrieved 14 February 2017 ... "IBM playing Jeopardy with tax dollars". EE Times. Retrieved February 19, 2011 ...
We will assist individuals with the tax efficient structuring of their remuneration packages within the allowed legislation ... Tax equalisation for expatriates. In the event where expatriates will be employed, we will assist with tax equalisation ... Individual income tax compliance. We will assist individuals annually to compute, complete and submit their income tax returns ... Total package/tax efficient structuring. We will assist individuals with the tax efficient structuring of their remuneration ...
Income tax filing and payment deadlines: CRA and COVID-19 - Canada.ca
... for Goods and Services Tax/Harmonized Sales Tax (GST/HST) returns. While this measure for existing tax debts does not cancel ... Filing date for 2019 tax year. June 1, 2020. The CRA is seeking tax returns from individuals by June 1, 2020 in order to ensure ... Tax in respect of Registered Investments (Parts X.2). *Tax in respect of overpayments to Registered Education Savings Plan ( ... The CRA will also waive arrears interest on existing tax debts related to these parts of the Income Tax Act from April 1, 2020 ...
Taxes | Military.com
Taxes - Reason.com
Taxes at Reason.com, the leading libertarian magazine and video website covering news, politics, culture, science, policy and ... Taxes. Eat The Rich? House Democrats Plan To Pass Huge Tax Break for Wealthy Homeowners.. The party thats calling for huge tax ... Taxes. Seattle City Councils Lone Socialist Is Reintroducing Her Amazon Tax. A previous version of the tax was repealed a ... Taxes. Moderate Joe Biden Wants Tax Hikes Twice as Big as Hillary Clinton Proposed in 2016. A sign of just how far left ...
Pay No Taxes
General Electric got its tax bill down to almost nothing -- can you? Kelsey Hubbard discusses with Brett Arends ways for ... federal tax liability ... down to zero ... depends whether they pay zero tax or a small the banks depends on how you count tax ... Pay No Taxes. General Electric got its tax bill down to almost nothing -- can you? Kelsey Hubbard discusses with Brett Arends ... we we can work to do on taxes and Weyer sunny and that lets a self employed individual to find the biggest tax rates that would ...
What taxes do you owe when you sell your home? Are excise taxes and sales taxes the same thing? All this and more are covered ... Taxes Taxes. Taxes. You really cant avoid them. From terminology to laws, learn everything you need to know about how and when ... What You Need to Know About Your 2020 Taxes Although some deductions and other filing details remained unchanged, certain ... Do I pay capital gains taxes on a house that my company sells back to myself? ...
Beer Taxes Set To Jump
Unless Congress acts to extend the cuts, the tax increase may be overwhelming to struggling brewers. ... The Craft Beverage Modernization and Tax Reform Act lowered alcohol excise tax rates paid by producers and importers on beer, ... Alcohol Excise Tax. Alcohol producers and importers pay federal excise taxes to the Alcohol Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) ... The Craft Beverage Modernization and Tax Reform Act (CBMTRA) portion of the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act temporarily lowered the ...
Taxes in Europe Database v2
Type of tax. Direct taxes. Personal income tax. Corporate income tax. Other ... "base tax" by the aggregate taxable income. The reduced "base tax" is the tax subsisting after application of the tax credits ... A tax surcharge: Comments. The tax credit in the Flemish Region has been abolished as from tax year 2012 and no other Region ... against their income tax liability in their tax return.. The payment to the tax administration of withholding tax on earned ...
Tax - OECD
... consumption tax, dispute resolution, tax avoidance, BEPS, tax havens, fiscal federalism, tax administration, tax treaties and ... Data and research on tax including income tax, ... Tax policy responses to COVID-19 Latest data on tax policy ... Tax and Fiscal Policy in Response to the Coronavirus Crisis This report takes stock of the emergency tax and fiscal policy ... With tax playing an important role in the response to the coronavirus pandemic, the OECD has outlined a range of emergency tax ...
Industry profile for Tax Preparers. Geographic profile for Tax Preparers. National estimates for Tax Preparers: Top. Employment ... Industry profile for Tax Preparers: Top. Industries with the highest published employment and wages for Tax Preparers are ... 13-2082 Tax Preparers. Prepare tax returns for individuals or small businesses. Excludes "Accountants and Auditors" (13-2011). ... Top paying states for Tax Preparers: State Employment (1) Employment per thousand jobs Location quotient (9) Hourly mean wage ...
Your neighbor refers you to a tax preparer who helped him get a big tax refund. You go to the tax preparer. He asks you... ... Feb 25, 2019, 10:00 ET New Resource From Bloomberg Tax Helps Clients Interpret IRS Guidance On Tax Reform Bloomberg Tax today ... Tax filers who were expecting to pay less federal income tax this year may be in for an unpleasant surprise thanks to new ... All Tax Season Releases This package contains news releases related to income tax-filing season. ...
Undocumented Immigrants and Taxes
But they do contribute to the economy and pay some taxes, such as sales taxes. Sharon Kayne, the communications director of New ... Undocumented Immigrants and Taxes. By Mary Ann Zehr - July 26, 2007 1 min read ... She said: "If we think cutting services to immigrants will lower our taxes, then it would only be fair to pay a decent price ... A blog reader with the name of "Lilathe" provoked the blog comments by writing that "illegals do not pay taxes." Indeed, many ...
Filing Your 2019 Taxes
State Tax Return GRANTAX will file your state tax return if your 2019 income exceeds the minimum income required to file a ... The tax season is approaching again. IIE and your grant sponsor are pleased to offer you the tax preparation service by an ... Tax Filing Procedure GRANTAX files your U.S. nonresident income tax report (return) based solely on your questionnaire without ... Then, the signed state tax return will be mailed to the applicable state tax authority by Grantax (if emailed) or you (if ...
Gas Taxes - Reason.com
Gas Taxes at Reason.com, the leading libertarian magazine and video website covering news, politics, culture, science, policy ... Gas Taxes. Death to the Federal Gas Tax A congressional bill would kill the gas tax and remove Washington from transportation ... Taxes. Energy Efficiency Mandates Are Worse for Poor Americans Than Energy Taxes Energy taxes are obvious to voters, while the ... Gas Taxes. In the Middle of a Severe Recession, California Prepares To Raise Its Gas Tax to 50 Cents a Gallon The Golden State ...
Taxes - Commercial Facilities Exemption
A tax incentive for the redevelopment of commercial property located within an established Commercial Redevelopment District ... For new or replacement facilities, the property taxes are based upon the current years taxable value and 50% of the mills ... For restored facilities, the property taxes are based upon the previous years (prior to restoration) taxable value and 100% of ... The Commercial Redevelopment Act, (known as the Commercial Facilities Exemption), PA 255 of 1978, as amended, affords a tax ...
DOR: Individual Income Taxes
Individual Income Taxes. Business Tax. Motor Carrier Services. Online Services. Tax Forms. Contact Us. ... Individual Income Taxes. Business Tax. Motor Carrier Services. Online Services. Tax Forms. Contact Us. ... The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs offer free tax help for ... Know when I will receive my tax refund.. *File my taxes as an Indiana resident while I am in the military, but my spouse is not ...
Did States Cut Taxes?
But what looked like a cut on many ledgers were actually temporary tax increases that were allowed to expire in several ... states reported that they cut taxes more than they increased them. ... The "State Tax Actions" shows sales taxes experienced the largest cuts, at what was projected to be more than $5.2 billion. ... Tobacco, alcohol and motor fuel taxes (net increase $51.9 million). *Fees and other non-tax changes (net increase $1,186 ...
The late tax balance is subject to a one-time 10% penalty. Total penalties cannot exceed 25% of the tax due. A delinquent tax ... It differs from a sales tax in that the tax is imposed on the business, not the purchaser. While a business may pass the tax on ... Tax Reporting Requirements & Payment of Tax Businesses are required to report and pay Phoenix privilege sales tax on their ... Transaction privilege tax is commonly referred to as a sales tax. Arizonas Transaction Privilege Tax (TPT) is imposed on the ...
Taxes | BeerAdvocate
August 2017 News: DE Increases Tax, NC Passes Brunch Bill, and Breweries Adopt Independent Seal News by BeerAdvocate staff In a ... New French beer tax elicits outcry from EU brewers; Oskar Blues partners with community college for hands-on brew course; ... In the 18th century, there were three tax classes in England (in descending order of strength): Strong, Table and Small. The ... Brew Hubs first brewery partners look forward; New York Citys beer industry angered over suggested beer tax increase; two ...
Furthermore, the NGOs call for more international taxes such as currency transaction taxes, environmental taxes and taxes on ... Five Nations to Tax Airfare to Raise Funds for AIDS Drugs (September 19, 2006). With a tax on international airline tickets ... France Begins to Tax Flights for Aid (November 30, 2005). The French government has proposed an air aviation tax beginning in ... France, Germany, Brazil and Chile are calling for a tax on airline tickets to finance the global fight against poverty. A tax ...
Trust Fund Taxes | Internal Revenue Service
... income tax, social security, and Medicare taxes) by an employer and held in trust until paid to the Treasury. ... A trust fund tax is money withheld from an employees wages ( ... and the income taxes reported on their tax returns. Your ... A trust fund tax is money withheld from an employees wages (income tax, Social Security, and Medicare taxes) by an employer ... As their employer, you have the added responsibility of withholding taxes from their paychecks. The income tax and employees ...
Tax bracket - Wikipedia
Tax brackets are the divisions at which tax rates change in a progressive tax system (or an explicitly regressive tax system, ... In addition to the Federal income tax, John will probably pay state income tax, Social Security tax, and Medicare tax. The ... Income tax threshold. References. *^ Kasprak, Nick. "2013 Tax Brackets". Tax Foundation. Retrieved 4 January 2012.. .mw- ... Tax brackets in Australia. Main article: Income tax in Australia. Individual income tax rates (residents). ...
Inheritance tax - Wikipedia
International tax law distinguishes between an estate tax and an inheritance tax-an estate tax is assessed on the assets of the ... An inheritance tax is a tax paid by a person who inherits money or property of a person who has died, whereas an estate tax is ... "Inheritance Tax - Rebate". InheritanceTax.. *^ Inheritance tax in Spain (2018-06-14). ", Changes in the Spanish inheritance tax ... Finland: perintövero (Finnish) or arvsskatt (Swedish) (Inheritance tax) is a state tax. Inheritance to the close family is tax ...
Superannuation & tax - DrDavidCThorp
a) No tax on contributions (i.e. made from pre-tax income, or with tax credits granted for post-tax income contributions). ... 2. Broader tax reform/rationalisation. The reforms proposed above for superannuation tax would largely replace income tax and ... c) Withdrawals (for spending on consumption) taxed at progressive rates, similar to income tax (replacing income tax as per "2 ... Tax avoidance could be minimised as current income tax administered by employers would be redundant and a fixed top tax rate ( ...
Chapter 54.28 RCW: PRIVILEGE TAXES
Tax imposed-Rates-Additional tax imposed.. 54.28.025. Tax imposed with respect to thermal electric generating facilities-Rate- ... Additional tax for payment on bonded indebtedness of school districts.. 54.28.090. Deposit of funds to credit of certain taxing ... Use of moneys received by taxing district.. 54.28.110. Voluntary payments by district to taxing entity for removal of property ... Amount of tax if district acquires electric utility property from public service company. ...
Second-Best Pollution Taxes | NBER
Any one tax rate can be set to zero as a conceptual matter, but implementation of some taxes might be easier than others as a ... These recent results are meant to show that the difference between the tax on the dirty good and the tax on the clean good is ... our intuition tells us to raise the tax on the clean good above zero and to raise the tax on the dirty good above that first- ... and that the labor tax is equivalent to a uniform tax on both clean and dirty goods. Thus, depending on the normalization, the ...
Paying Your Business Taxes | Nolo
What are State Business Tax Laws?. Find out how state business tax laws work and the different types of taxes a business might ... Paying Estimated Taxes. Independent contractors and self-employed workers have to pay estimated taxes every quarter - find out ... Despite its name, a franchise tax is not a tax on McDonalds or other franchises. ... Nevada Internet Sales Tax. If you are selling goods or products online to customers located in Nevada, you should be aware of ...
Legal Updates for Taxes | Nolo
2021 Taxes Legal Updates More 2021 Taxes Legal Updates arrow_drop_down arrow_right ... 2020 Taxes Legal Updates More 2020 Taxes Legal Updates arrow_drop_down arrow_right ... 2019 Taxes Legal Updates More 2019 Taxes Legal Updates arrow_drop_down arrow_right ... 2018 Taxes Legal Updates More 2018 Taxes Legal Updates arrow_drop_down arrow_right ...
taxes - Page 28 | PBS NewsHour
The possibility of raising the cap on payroll taxes may help to close the Social Security gap, but the option could pose other ... The U.S. Senate voted to extend $70 billion dollars in tax cuts, first enacted in 2003, for five years. While Republicans ... Raising Tax Cap Explored as Way to Close Social Security Gap By PBS NewsHour ... credit these tax cuts with a surging economy, Democrats believe a majority of Americans are being left out. ...
2020201720182019TaxpayersWithheldReformTaxpayerIncome taxesTrumpState'sTrump'sIncomes2016Payroll taxDeductionsIndebtednessAmericansTaxable income10,000LevyNational Conference oMarginal2021IncreasesGasoline taxAuthoritiesConsumptionDeadlineRepublicansWithholdRevenuesExcise tax ratesSenateReformsBurdenObamaInheritanceCuts and Jobs ActFederal excise taxTobaccoWorld'sComplianceRaisingIndirect taxesApproachCounseling for the ElderlyPaychecksBurdensomeLawmakersUbiquitousProfitsBusiness taxesVoluntaryRetirementIndividualsCongressInternal RevenueState taxesImplicationsExemptionsFiling Your TaxesRaiseSelf employedAmericaPrivilegeSeveranceYearReportCongressionalPaymentsSalesRegulations
- The CRA is further extending the payment due date for 2019 individual tax returns and 2019 or 2020 corporation, or trust returns, as well as for instalment payments, from September 1, 2020, to September 30, 2020. (canada.ca)
- The CRA is seeking tax returns from individuals by June 1, 2020 in order to ensure accurate federal and provincial benefits payments. (canada.ca)
- LONGVIEW, Wash. (AP) - In a story February 11, 2020, about a dispute over a tax ballot measure to pay for emergency dispatching services, The Associated Press erroneously reported the state where the agency, Columbia 911, is located. (ap.org)
- Please complete and electronically submit the questionnaire and upload via IIE service portal (if applicable), mail or email (only 10 MB DOC or PDF files accepted) all required tax documents (all copies must be legible) so that GRANTAX receives them by 03/31/2020 . (iie.org)
- The tax filing and payment extension due to the coronavirus outbreak has changed these deadlines for 2020. (investopedia.com)
- CBO has reduced its projections of corporate income tax receipts for the 2020-2029 period by $127 billion (or about 4 percent). (cbo.gov)
- If you were present in the US even for 1 day during 2020, then you have tax filing obligations. (nyu.edu)
- While the 2017 tax cuts didn't deliver the results promised by Trump and his magical-thinking supporters, the administration has delivered some economic expansion, some job creation, and some investment growth. (reason.com)
- The Craft Beverage Modernization and Tax Reform Act (CBMTRA) portion of the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act temporarily lowered the alcohol excise tax rates paid by producers and importers on beer, wine and spirits. (forbes.com)
- According to the Brewers Association , the number of new craft breweries has grown since the tax credits became effective, from 6,661 in 2017 to 8,275 in 2019. (forbes.com)
- State and local governments collected a combined $47 billion in revenue from motor fuel taxes in 2017, or 1.5 percent of general revenue. (urban.org)
- DOR's Division of Local Services (DLS) recommends that taxpayers consult their municipality to determine whether property tax prepayments will be accepted in calendar year 2017 for calendar year 2018. (mass.gov)
- To determine federal rules on the deductibility of prepaid property taxes for federal tax purposes, please see the IRS Advisory issued on December 27, 2017. (mass.gov)
- In 2017, average household income before accounting for means-tested transfers and federal taxes was $21,300 for the lowest quintile and $309,400 for the highest quintile. (cbo.gov)
- As the April 15 tax deadline approaches, overall public views of the fairness of the nation's tax system have changed only modestly since 2017, before passage of major tax legislation. (pewresearch.org)
- The Tax Cut and Jobs Act passed by Congress on December 22, 2017 eliminated all miscellaneous itemized deductions for the tax years 2018 through 2025. (ncsl.org)
- When Are 2017 Taxes Due? (newsweek.com)
- After experiencing a dismal 2017, the retail sector is expected to continue announcing benefits from GOP tax reform. (newsweek.com)
- A previous version of the tax was repealed a month after it was passed in 2018. (reason.com)
- As of January 1, 2018, the CBMTRA affords the low tax rate of $3.50 per barrel (31 gallons) on the first 60,000 barrels of beer produced and removed for consumption or sale by a U.S. brewery that produces less than 2,000,000 barrels of beer per year. (forbes.com)
- If you're still waiting to file your 2018 tax return, here's a new reason to get started: consumers who file their taxes using TaxAct® will be the. (prnewswire.com)
- Individuals filing their 2018 Pennsylvania personal income taxes can help Pennsylvania's military personnel and their families by donating part or. (prnewswire.com)
- If you used GRANTAX to file your 2018 tax return, you would log in with your email address and password which you registered for on your 2018 Grantax questionnaire. (iie.org)
- Gov. Andrew Cuomo is spending economic development funds on a TV ad promoting his executive order allowing New York taxpayers to pre-pay their 2018 property taxes as a response to. (nypost.com)
- With the new Republican tax law set to put a cap of $10,000 on federal property tax deductions for 2018, New York taxpayers are scrambling this week to figure out. (nypost.com)
- Gov. Cuomo's emergency order allowing property owners to prepay their 2018 school and property taxes before federal tax reform takes effect won't help residents in Westchester County, which has the. (nypost.com)
- Intuit today released the second and final update for its fiscal year 2018 consumer tax offerings. (intuit.com)
- Updated April 17, 2018 4:02 pm PST The IRS announced today that it is providing taxpayers an additional day to file and pay their federal taxes following system issues that surfaced early on the April 17 tax deadline. (intuit.com)
- Majorities of Americans say voting in elections, paying taxes and following the law are very important to good citizenship, according to a 2018 survey. (pewresearch.org)
- IIE and your grant sponsor are pleased to offer you the tax preparation service by an outside tax service for the filing of your 2019 income tax return. (iie.org)
- GRANTAX will file your state tax return if your 2019 income exceeds the minimum income required to file a return for that state (This may vary from state to state). (iie.org)
- If federal and state taxes were not withheld from your 2019 miscellaneous income (1099-MISC), IIE will NOT pay the interest and penalties assessed for late filing. (iie.org)
- In accordance with SEA 565, DOR may provide customers or their legal representatives a statement of income tax withholding upon request, effective July 1, 2019. (in.gov)
- CBO examines the tax benefit of having dependents under current law in 2019 and 2026 and analyzes how three policy options that would simplify dependent-related tax provisions would affect that benefit. (cbo.gov)
- Taxpayers that get behind on their taxes commonly feel like they are at the bottom of a large financial hole. (prnewswire.com)
- The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs offer free tax help for taxpayers who qualify. (in.gov)
- The Notre Dame Tax Clinic is a federally funded Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) that represents clients in controversies with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and educates individuals about their rights and responsibilities as taxpayers. (in.gov)
- You know New York's future is grim when even Republicans refuse to push for meaningful relief for overwhelmed state taxpayers, even as federal reforms ratchet up the state's tax bite. (nypost.com)
- That projected $20 billion "loss" belongs in the hands of taxpayers, who today face the highest peacetime tax burden ever. (cato.org)
- Individuals who are self-employed, investors who receive dividend income and generate capital gains , bondholders who receive interest income, and landlords who earn rental income are examples of taxpayers that must estimate the amount of taxes they owe to the government and make a payment on the estimate. (investopedia.com)
- The Department is willing to work with taxpayers who are unable to pay their tax bills. (tn.us)
- For sales and use tax, business tax, franchise & excise tax, Hall income tax, tobacco tax, professional privilege tax, liquor by the drink tax, and IRP/IFTA fees liabilities, taxpayers may log into their Tennessee Taxpayer Access Point (TNTAP) account and request an installment payment plan. (tn.us)
- Common sense would seem to dictate that before we consider whether a tax increase is necessary, we owe it to the members of the House and to the taxpayers of Virginia to perform due diligence on the spending side and examine the critical choices we would need to make in a thoughtful and informed manner," Mr. Callahan said. (washingtontimes.com)
- Taxpayers can also file their taxes online, which speeds up the process for getting back a refund. (prnewswire.com)
- Although Free File is for federal taxes, some states offer State Free File to help taxpayers prepare and file their state taxes for free. (prnewswire.com)
- Low to moderate income taxpayers can receive free tax assistance through the IRS's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program, or VITA. (prnewswire.com)
- A trust fund tax is money withheld from an employee's wages (income tax, Social Security, and Medicare taxes) by an employer and held in trust until paid to the Treasury. (irs.gov)
- If you receive additional compensation above the level of the training grant stipend, some tax may be withheld from that portion of your pay. (washington.edu)
- You might need an additional amount withheld from your paycheck so that you won't owe taxes in April. (washington.edu)
- Payers who withhold income tax must remit the amount withheld to the IRS and report the amount withheld from the payee on Form 1099 . (dartmouth.edu)
- While those who are employed by a company will have taxes withheld from their pay cheques by their employers based on a completed W-4 Form , others will need to make these payments on their own directly to the government in the form of an estimated tax, rather than waiting until the end of the year to file an annual tax return. (investopedia.com)
- In addition, employees who had too little tax withheld and, therefore, owed taxes to the government at the end of the last year are responsible for making estimated tax payments. (investopedia.com)
- Did you know that you could automatically have taxes withheld from your payments? (sun-sentinel.com)
- To arrange to withhold taxes from your Social Security benefit, you must complete IRS Form W-4V, Voluntary Withholding Request, and select one of a set percentage of your monthly benefit amount you want withheld: 7, 10, 15 or 27 percent. (sun-sentinel.com)
- These taxes will consist of the federal income, Security, and Medicare taxes withheld from employees' paychecks. (findlaw.com)
- Law of 10.08.2001 (B.O.J.20.09.2001) with reform of personal income tax. (europa.eu)
- Bloomberg Tax today announced the introduction of Tax Reform Guidance Watch, a resource featuring a comprehensive array of tools and information to. (prnewswire.com)
- Yesterday, Speaker of the House John Boehner gave a speech reiterating his position that new revenues from tax reform are on the table, but higher tax rates are not. (nationalreview.com)
- Does "new revenues from tax reform" mean an increase in average tax rates by, for example, scaling back tax breaks and not cutting tax rates so much that you erase the extra revenue? (nationalreview.com)
- Green taxes are now seen as part of a wider restructuring of taxation - eco-tax reform - which will encourage not just environmentally sustainable development but also better economic performance, more jobs and greater economic justice within and between nations. (newint.org)
- He concludes with a reform agenda that calls for the adoption of a broader-based, flatter-rate income tax. (brookings.edu)
- He suggested that he would unveil his tax-reform plan in the coming weeks. (usatoday.com)
- Southwest Airlines' Kelly said Trump and the executives also discussed income tax reform and the need to upgrade the U.S. transportation system overall. (usatoday.com)
- It's a call for some bigger actions in tax policy reform, specifically targeting the Irish SME sector. (rte.ie)
- It wants a phased plan to reform 'the overall shape of our personal tax system', including a review of the high marginal tax rates, the breadth of the tax base and the entry points to income tax USC and PRSI. (rte.ie)
- Cities and towns, prepayment by taxpayer of taxes and assessments owed to: RCW 35.21.650 . (wa.gov)
- A taxpayer who had no tax liability for the prior year, was a U.S. citizen or resident for the whole year, and had the prior tax year cover a 12-month period, does not have to file Form 1040-ES. (investopedia.com)
- You can pay a tax liability for one of the following taxes through the Tennessee Taxpayer Access Point (TNTAP) , under the 'make a payment' area. (tn.us)
- In fact, as a cheerful taxpayer, if I have to pay taxes on bits - at least those that make up words - I would be willing to pay a higher VAT for the fewest possible bits: just the right ones, please. (mit.edu)
- He first analyzes the taxation of capital income, focusing on the distortions caused by tax arbitrage and on inflation-induced discriminations among both taxpayer and borrowers. (brookings.edu)
- The Internal Revenue Service has a free tax-preparation program for virtually every taxpayer, regardless of income. (prnewswire.com)
- Phil Murphy is set to propose his third budget on Tuesday, setting up a possible repeat showdown with lawmakers over his so-far unsuccessful attempts to raise income taxes on the wealthy. (ap.org)
- Indeed, many undocumented immigrants do not pay income taxes, which is a sore point with critics of illegal immigration. (edweek.org)
- Having trouble filing your individual income taxes? (in.gov)
- If you are a senior or low-income customer looking for assistance in preparing your individual income taxes, there are organizations that can help. (in.gov)
- States also cut corporate income taxes and miscellaneous taxes. (ncsl.org)
- Through this withholding, your employees pay their contributions toward retirement benefits (Social Security and Medicare) and the income taxes reported on their tax returns. (irs.gov)
- Additionally, any income tax he must pay to the U.K. on the sale can be credited against any U.S. income taxes attributable to the sale. (bankrate.com)
- Personal income taxes are a huge source of revenue for governments globally, and the debate on taxes has been a hot-button issue in recent elections in the U.S. and Europe. (cnbc.com)
- The Internal Revenue Code (IRC) 3046(a) requires payers under certain circumstances to withhold 24% from vendor payments for federal income taxes. (dartmouth.edu)
- The IRS may require backup withholding because you owe federal income taxes, or you have not reported all your income on your tax returns. (dartmouth.edu)
- While preparing your information to file your taxes, consider using Indiana freefile (INfreefile) to file your federal and state income taxes online for free. (in.gov)
- Denmark has the highest income taxes in the world, but it also enjoys low unemployment and steady economic growth. (npr.org)
- Federal revenues come largely from individual income taxes and payroll taxes, with corporate income taxes and other taxes playing smaller roles. (cbo.gov)
- The Treasury derives most of its revenues from personal and corporate income taxes. (mit.edu)
- Trump, Dems, Business Want a Gas Tax Increase. (reason.com)
- Some people are pushing Trump to fund his infrastructure dreams with a 140 percent increase in the federal gas tax. (reason.com)
- Trump, as a businessman, can hire lawyers to look through tax legislation, many enacted by Democrats, to pay his "fair share" as required by law. (newsday.com)
- A month after Donald Trump and Congress passed the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, the public has mixed views of the sweeping tax overhaul and its long-term impact. (pewresearch.org)
- Survey Report A month after Donald Trump and Congress passed the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, the public has mixed views of the sweeping tax overhaul and its long-term impact. (pewresearch.org)
- President Trump told a group of airline and airport executives Thursday that he would help them through reduced regulations and lower taxes. (usatoday.com)
- Trump tells airlines he will cut taxes, regulations President Trump told a group of airline and airport executives Thursday that he would help them through reduced regulations and lower taxes. (usatoday.com)
- President Trump issued an executive order to suspend the collection of Social Security payroll taxes. (kiplinger.com)
- A self-purported advocate for women, Ivanka Trump has been shilling for a tax plan that reports say would be disastrous for women and their families. (newsweek.com)
- Six in 10 Americans don't believe Trump when he says the GOP's tax plan will help the middle class, according to a new poll. (newsweek.com)
- President Trump has proposed to boost the federal gasoline tax-potentially the first increase in the 18.4-cents-a-gallon tax since 1993 - by 25 cents a gallon. (kiplinger.com)
- AP) - A Nebraska senator who is pushing the Legislature's main bill to lower property taxes said Thursday she hopes to reach a deal with opponents who are trying to derail it out of concern that it could hurt the state's K-12 public schools. (ap.org)
- The governor's request comes after the release of a report finding the state's taxes and regulations explain half of the higher prices Golden State motorists pay. (reason.com)
- The return is delinquent if not received in accordance with the State's Transaction Privilege and Use Tax Due Date Calendar accessible at the Arizona Department of Revenue's online AZTaxes.gov website. (phoenix.gov)
- Using our aggregate approach, we find that a one percentage point increase in a state's sales tax increases online purchases by state residents by just under two percent, but decreases their online purchases from home-state retailers by 3-4 percent. (nber.org)
- These rates include the state's excise tax on gas plus any related taxes and fees the consumer pays at the pump-such as (if applicable) a geneal sales tax, an environmental fee, or an inspection fee. (urban.org)
- Holiday shoppers can avoid Louisiana sales tax on purchases of most items during the state's newest tax-free period. (kiplinger.com)
- Rallies to demand Trump's taxes Sat. (msnbc.com)
- Joy Reid and her panel discuss the ongoing demand for Donald Trump's tax returns -- which will intensify with nationwide protests this Saturday. (msnbc.com)
- There they go again, Democrats grousing about President Donald Trump's taxes ["Report: Prez taxed $750 in '16, '17," News, Sept. 28]. (newsday.com)
- Airline CEOs expressed support for Trump's tax and regulatory cut agenda during the session, which included Oscar Munoz of United Airlines, Ed Bastian of Delta Airlines and Gary C. Kelly of Southwest Airlines. (usatoday.com)
- Trump's tax plan doesn't affect individual filing this year-with some small exceptions. (newsweek.com)
- If the GOP tax plan is enacted, Trump's offspring would not have to pay inheritance taxes as of 2024. (newsweek.com)
- The regressive effect would be all the greater if green taxes replaced taxes on incomes and profits - which many poorer people never had to pay in the first place. (newint.org)
- Because these taxes will hit rich people's incomes harder than poor people's (like an energy tax at source) they will not be regressive. (newint.org)
- The Platform for Collaboration on Tax is a joint effort launched in April 2016 by the IMF, OECD, UN and WBG. (oecd.org)
- This report projects the distributions of household income, means-tested transfers, and federal taxes under current law in 2021 and compares them with the actual distributions in 2016. (cbo.gov)
- This tax strategy is being published in satisfaction of the statutory obligation under Paragraph 16(2) and Schedule 19 of the Finance Act of 2016 for Red Hat (UK) Ltd. Red Hat, Inc. ("Red Hat") is the ultimate parent of Red Hat (UK) Ltd. This document has been approved for publication by Red Hat's Board of Directors. (redhat.com)
- The city has passed a new payroll tax on large employers that is expected to raise over $200 million a year. (reason.com)
- 100% of the payroll tax. (forbes.com)
- After reading the Dec. 8 editorial 'A deal worth doing,' all I could think was that The Post could not be so naive as to believe that four moves that will increase spending - extending all of the Bush tax cuts, cutting the payroll tax, extending unemployment benefits and offering a generous deal on the estate tax - represent a 'pivot to the harder work of long-term deficit reduction. (washingtonpost.com)
- FICA is the law requiring employers deduct payroll tax from their employees' paychecks, which is then contributed to Social Security and Medicare funding. (mortgageloan.com)
- As long as the per diem amounts or reimbursements are made under an accountable plan, and the total daily per diem/reimbursement amount does not exceed the limit established by Section 162(h) for Deemed Business Expenses (explained further below), the Qualified State Legislator may still receive these amounts on a tax-free basis, where no payroll tax withholdings or Form W-2 reporting is required. (ncsl.org)
- UW Student Fiscal Services holds tax workshops that cover topics such as grants and fellowships and education-related tax credits and deductions. (washington.edu)
- While paying the above taxes can be a complicated process that threatens your partnership's sense of financial well-being, keep in mind that you can make business deductions for any business-related expense. (findlaw.com)
- Most Americans claim the standard deduction on their tax return instead of itemized deductions. (kiplinger.com)
- State legislators, therefore, may not claim miscellaneous itemized deductions under the so-called "legislator tax home" provisions for those tax years. (ncsl.org)
- Americans are faced with the implications of several changes this tax season. (prnewswire.com)
- Getting a tax refund - and deciding how to use it - can be exciting for many Americans. (prnewswire.com)
- Which Is Worse for Poor Americans: Energy Efficiency Mandates or Energy Taxes? (reason.com)
- While Republicans credit these tax cuts with a surging economy, Democrats believe a majority of Americans are being left out. (pbs.org)
- 1. Americans already pay too much in gas taxes. (cnn.com)
- WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama is accusing Republican Mitt Romney of caving under pressure from Rush Limbaugh for saying that requiring all Americans to buy health insurance amounts to a tax. (yahoo.com)
- As millions of Americans move to file their taxes online, cybercriminals are ready to pounce. (cnbc.com)
- Americans, in voting for politicians who run on a hard-line anti-tax-hike policy, are not acting in their own best interests. (reuters.com)
- Daily chart: Are Americans sacrificing food and clothing to pay their taxes? (economist.com)
- Essentially, they are the cutoff values for taxable income-income past a certain point will be taxed at a higher rate. (wikipedia.org)
- Note that the "basic personal amount" of $15,527 effectively means that income up to this amount is not subject to tax, although it is included in the calculation of taxable income. (wikipedia.org)
- Partners are responsible for paying double of what a normal employee would pay (because employers normally match employees' contributions and by being self employed, you're both employer and employee), but their tax burden is reduced by the allowance of deducting half of the self employment contribution from taxable income. (findlaw.com)
- Which tax rate applies to your 2021 long-term capital gains will depend on your taxable income. (kiplinger.com)
- 19 countries have so far agreed to levy the tax. (globalpolicy.org)
- An inheritance tax is a tax paid by a person who inherits money or property of a person who has died, whereas an estate tax is a levy on the estate (money and property) of a person who has died. (wikipedia.org)
- Levy of taxes. (wa.gov)
- Most states levy per unit taxes based on how many gallons of gasoline a consumer purchases. (urban.org)
- When the Qur'an was revealed, it was common inside and outside of Arabia to levy poll taxes against alien groups. (wikipedia.org)
- If the Muslim state was incapable of extending such protection to non-Muslims, it was not supposed to levy a poll tax. (wikipedia.org)
National Conference o2
- or the tax on the entire amount ( at the marginal rate), minus the amount that this overstates tax on the bottom end of the bracket. (wikipedia.org)
-  But this wealth effect on the labor supply of the heirs plays an important role in the optimal level of the inheritance tax since it implies a fiscal externality: inheritance taxes increase earnings of the heirs which has a positive effect on government revenue if heirs face a positive marginal tax rate. (wikipedia.org)
- The proposed tax treatment would also benefit people taking a voluntary or forced career break, because the marginal tax on withdrawal could be at a lower rate than during prior high-income periods of their career. (google.com)
- When government needs more revenue than is available from a pollution tax rate equal to marginal environmental damage, our intuition tells us to raise the tax on the clean good above zero and to raise the tax on the dirty good above that first-best Pigouvian rate. (nber.org)
- 1. When Kennedy came into office in 1961, the top marginal rate of individual income tax was 91%, compared with 39.6% today. (wsj.com)
- But the most taxing aspect of cyberspace is not the ephemeral nature of bits, the marginal cost of zero to make more of them, or that there is no need for warehouses to store them. (mit.edu)
- The individual tax filing deadline has been extended from April 15, 2021, to May 17, 2021. (nolo.com)
- Learn about the latest tax changes for individuals introduced in the recently passed American Rescue Plan Act of 2021. (nolo.com)
- If current laws governing taxes and spending generally remain unchanged, CBO projects, in 2021, the federal budget deficit will total $2.3 trillion, federal debt will reach 102 percent of GDP, and real GDP will grow by 3.7 percent. (cbo.gov)
- The 2021 Capital Gains Tax Rate Thresholds Are Out - What Rate Will You Pay? (kiplinger.com)
- Xavier Becerra conceals tax increases and reframes a gig economy proposition to hurt its chances. (reason.com)
- But what looked like a cut on many ledgers were actually temporary tax increases that were allowed to expire in several different tax categories. (ncsl.org)
- This is primarily because temporary sales tax increases in California and North Carolina expired. (ncsl.org)
- Many of these reductions also were the result of allowing temporary tax increases to expire. (ncsl.org)
- General discussions of tax policy and actual tax changes don't generate as much public enthusiasm as do possible increases at the local, personal level. (bankrate.com)
- David Ignatius joins the Morning Joe panel to discuss President Obama's tax strategy, saying 'these tax increases can be justified' because of the unequal distribution of wealth. (msnbc.com)
- The Senate Finance Committee's proposed two-year spending plan relies on about $3.8 billion in tax increases to fund substantial new spending on state services such as public education and transportation. (washingtontimes.com)
- Previous evidence indicates that further increases in cigarette excise taxes would be expected to result in further reductions in demand for cigarettes, decreasing smoking and associated morbidity and mortality ( 1,2 ). (cdc.gov)
- During 2011, cigarette excise tax increases took effect in three states (Connecticut, Hawaii, and Vermont). (cdc.gov)
- Opponents of reducing California's gasoline tax are talking out of both sides of their mouths. (reason.com)
- And despite the rationality of a user-fee system, neither party will lead the charge to raise the gasoline tax. (cnn.com)
- Remember that Hilary Clinton , one of the more intelligent and sophisticated politicians in the country, was happy to say that "I'm not going to put my lot in with economists" when she was challenged on the fact that none of them were buying in to her silly idea to suspend the gasoline tax. (reuters.com)
- At the same time, tax authorities are working together, developing more coordinated and efficient tax compliance and enforcement tools. (ey.com)
- We lead the debate with tax authorities and governments in Israel, changing the way we all think about tax. (pwc.com)
- The tax services offered by the Tax Group of PwC Israel, include amongst others, advisory and strategic planning in the areas of both Israeli and International Tax, Corporate Tax, Mergers & Acquisitions, Transfer Pricing, Indirect Taxes, Property Tax, Personal Income Tax for foreign and Israeli tax residents as well as access to the Israeli Tax Authorities (' ITA ') computerized database, used for tracking details of claims and progress of tax assessments. (pwc.com)
- Similar to Red Hat's approach to business, Red Hat seeks to maintain an open, collaborative and transparent relationship with the tax authorities, including HMRC. (redhat.com)
- Alcohol producers and importers pay federal excise taxes to the Alcohol Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) on beverage alcohol that is imported or "removed" from federal tax bond for consumption or sale in the U.S. This is on top of other taxes that any business pays, like income, state, and local taxes. (forbes.com)
- However, the shares of both consumption taxes (32%) and social-security contributions (25%) are growing. (economist.com)
- Of the countries in our chart, Ireland and Norway (as well as eight other, mainly poorer, OECD countries) already raise more of their taxes from consumption levies than from any other source. (economist.com)
- c) Withdrawals (for spending on consumption) taxed at progressive rates, similar to income tax (replacing income tax as per "2. (google.com)
- A bit consumption tax, in other words, makes no more sense than tariffing toys by the number of atoms. (mit.edu)
- If you don't file your tax forms with the IRS by the tax deadline, or need to correct a mistake, you may be able to submit an amended tax return or mail the necessary tax documents even after the deadline date. (nyu.edu)
- The Internal Revenue Service announced on March 17 that this year's tax deadline is extended from April 15 to May 17. (nyu.edu)
- Confirm the deadline for the state(s) you will need to file taxes in. (nyu.edu)
- If you are unable to file your forms by the deadline, you must submit an application for Automatic Extension of Time to File Your Tax Return to the IRS. (nyu.edu)
- Republicans were moving swiftly to pass the tax cut in an. (ap.org)
- Republicans for Raising the Gas Tax? (reason.com)
- The compromise between the Republicans and the president on extending the Bush-era tax cuts [ 'Obama and GOP strike tax accord ,' front page, Dec. 7] cannot be allowed to go through. (washingtonpost.com)
- Republicans unveil $1.5 trillion tax-cut p. (washingtontimes.com)
- If Democrats want to make changes, they should shake Republicans' hands rather than grasping throats, to accomplish a fair tax structure. (newsday.com)
- The income tax and employees' share of FICA (Social Security and Medicare) that you withhold from your employees' paychecks are part of their wages you pay to the Treasury instead of to your employees. (irs.gov)
- The amount you may need to withhold depends upon your tax situation. (washington.edu)
- If you have employees, you will have to pay employment taxes and withhold a portion of your employees' paychecks. (findlaw.com)
- TAXES Income and profits taxes account for the largest share of tax revenues in OECD countries-35% on average. (economist.com)
- Still, in 1995 OECD countries' average tax revenues as a share of GDP fell for the first time in the 1990s. (economist.com)
- Moreover, a dedicated source of revenues, such as gas taxes or other user-based fees, will remain critical to fund and facilitate the transition to technology-oriented transportation solutions. (cnn.com)
- CBO projects future federal revenues under current law, estimates the distribution of income and federal taxes, and analyzes the effects of various features of the federal tax system and potential changes to that system. (cbo.gov)
- CBO presents its projections of what federal deficits, debt, spending, and revenues would be for the next 30 years if current laws governing taxes and spending generally did not change. (cbo.gov)
- This model predicts that as long as the median voter is not a car user, he wants high taxes on road use and a road capacity that maximizes net tax revenues. (repec.org)
Excise tax rates1
- The lower excise tax rates enabled new and small alcohol industry members, including brewers, to use their money to grow their businesses rather than for paying higher taxes. (forbes.com)
- The Senate and Assembly voted to pass the election year tax cut. (ap.org)
- AP) - The Wisconsin Senate on Wednesday debated a Republican-authored $250 million income tax cut proposal that could be on a collision course with Democratic Gov. Tony Evers who wants the Legislature to spend more money on schools. (ap.org)
- The U.S. Senate voted to extend $70 billion dollars in tax cuts, first enacted in 2003, for five years. (pbs.org)
- RICHMOND - Virginia taxes would go up under both of the competing budget plans that emerged yesterday from the money committees of the Senate and House of Delegates. (washingtontimes.com)
- The committees, made up of a handful of senators and delegates, will try to reach a compromise between the Senate and House tax plans and budgets that were proposed last night. (washingtontimes.com)
- We only have until December 11th to stop the Senate from taxing Internet access and e-commerce. (causes.com)
- This report takes stock of the emergency tax and fiscal policy measures introduced by countries worldwide in response to COVID-19 and outlines the major policy reforms that will be needed to prepare for restoration of public finances. (oecd.org)
- Countries around the world are undertaking significant reforms to better align their tax systems with today's global business environment. (ey.com)
- and Michigan Brewing Company founder faces tax burden, angry investors. (beeradvocate.com)
- The concern of storefront retailers for fairness is understandable, but it would make more sense to simplify and reduce the existing tax burden than to extend today's regulations to online sellers. (cato.org)
- If it's not, and the IRS determines that the change was made primarily to lessen the aggregate tax burden of the partners, then the IRS will re-allocate the special allocation and you'll have to pay taxes according to your regular schedule. (findlaw.com)
- After Santa Clara (and subsequent cases continuing well into the twentieth century), increased corporate access to lawmakers has resulted in a shift in the tax burden that rivals the shift in risk from corporate to individual shoulders. (truth-out.org)
- To the contrary, the additional shift in tax burden being proposed today is financially crushing individuals who can least afford it. (truth-out.org)
- Rahm Emanuel, former adviser to Presidents Clinton and Obama and current Windy City mayor, wants to raise taxes on drivers who park in the city's garages. (bankrate.com)
- Obama and GOP strike tax accord ' and ' President extends olive branch to GOP ' were Dec. 7's front-page news. (washingtonpost.com)
- International tax law distinguishes between an estate tax and an inheritance tax-an estate tax is assessed on the assets of the deceased, while an inheritance tax is assessed on the legacies received by the estate's beneficiaries. (wikipedia.org)
- for example, the UK's "inheritance tax" is a tax on the assets of the deceased, and strictly speaking is therefore an estate tax. (wikipedia.org)
- The question of decision-making gets from an economist's point of view far more complicated when an inheritance tax is imposed. (wikipedia.org)
- In terms of behavioral economics , the structure of a tax system affects not only individuals' behavior when trading in the market, but also their preferences regarding the amount of money or property saved as a future subject of inheritance. (wikipedia.org)
- An obvious direct effect of inheritance taxes is a decrease in the share of an estate that would otherwise go to the heirs. (wikipedia.org)
-  From that, we can easily conclude that the inheritance tax enforces heirs to stay in the labor market, as the inheritance might not have provided them with a wealth of such a range that they could have afforded to leave the labor market. (wikipedia.org)
- From the other point of view, inheritance taxes may considerably influence the distribution of capital. (wikipedia.org)
- That determines the inheritance tax to promote inefficiency, or at least not to guarantee efficiency. (wikipedia.org)
Cuts and Jobs Act1
- NCSL has received numerous inquiries from state legislatures regarding whether the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (the "Act") will adversely impact the ability of state legislators to deduct or otherwise obtain tax-free treatment for travel, lodging or other living expenses in connection with their legislative service. (ncsl.org)
Federal excise tax2
- This is because the temporary federal excise tax cuts on alcoholic beverages are set to expire at the end of the year, unless Congress acts. (forbes.com)
- A majority of ACEC members voted to support extension by five years of the existing moratorium on new state taxes on the Internet, and elimination of the 3 percent federal excise tax on telephone services. (cato.org)
- If you purchase unstamped cigarettes or little cigars or untaxed tobacco products including but not limited to cigars, manufactured tobacco and snuff, then you are subject to Tennessee's tobacco products tax. (tn.us)
- Retailers and consumers purchasing untaxed tobacco products from out-of-state are required to pay the tax. (tn.us)
- This tax does not apply to tobacco produced and processed by the grower for the grower's own use and not for sale. (tn.us)
- Cigarettes and other tobacco products are taxed by federal, state, and local governments in various ways, including through excise taxes, which typically are levied per pack of 20 cigarettes ( 1 ). (cdc.gov)
- State cigarette excise tax data for this report were obtained from CDC's State Tobacco Activities Tracking and Evaluation (STATE) system database, which contains tobacco-related epidemiologic and economic data and information on state tobacco-related legislation (including the District of Columbia). (cdc.gov)
- Among six major tobacco-growing states (Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia), the mean state cigarette excise tax was $0.49 cents per pack in 2011, an increase from $0.40 per pack in 2009. (cdc.gov)
- Instead of generating revenue from personal income, the country, which has the world's seventh-largest crude oil and natural gas reserves, is dependent on money from oil companies that pay up to 55 percent in corporate taxes. (cnbc.com)
- America is the world's biggest oil consumer and its gasoline taxes are lower than most nations. (cnn.com)
- PwC is the world's largest and leading professional services organization and a global market leader for tax services. (pwc.com)
- Within its taxation service line, PwC Israel provides strategically industry focused tax and advisory services to clients ranging from the world's leading multinational public and private companies to private individuals, helping them align their business and tax strategies in order to create opportunities for financial effectiveness and long-term tax savings through relevant tax planning, structuring and compliance. (pwc.com)
- To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. (bankrate.com)
- EY has competencies in business tax, international tax, transaction tax and tax-related issues associated with people, compliance and reporting and law. (ey.com)
- The Controller's Office is responsible for managing the federal and state tax compliance for the College and its related entities. (dartmouth.edu)
- We assist businesses, individuals and organizations with tax strategy, planning, and compliance, whilst also delivering a wide range of business advisory services with 30,000 dedicated tax professionals in over 158 countries. (pwc.com)
- Specifically, our commitment to good corporate citizenship wherever we do business includes ensuring that we satisfy our tax obligations in compliance with local country laws and international guidelines. (redhat.com)
- What would you like to say about the Council raising our taxes? (google.com)
- Raising the tax on motor fuel would encourage people to use more energy-efficient cars or to use them less, or both. (newint.org)
- Lamar has no problem raising your property taxes as long as he can cheat on his own. (topix.com)
- Raising the gas tax would generate hundreds of billions of dollars from drivers to support infrastructure spending. (kiplinger.com)
- Tax Inspectors Without Borders is a joint OECD/UNDP initiative which provides expert assistance and facilitates the transfer of tax audit knowledge to developing countries tax administrations using a practical "learning by doing" approach. (oecd.org)
- Senior executives report to the Audit Committee of our Board of Directors periodically on tax matters, and the Board of Directors, principally through the Audit Committee, ultimately oversees Red Hat's approach to tax governance. (redhat.com)
- The aim of the tax function is to take a prudent approach to tax risk and provide the business with the appropriate guidance, education and awareness to enable adherence of our tax strategy in all business matters. (redhat.com)
- This external advice is reviewed by the tax function in an effort to ensure that any action taken after considering such advice is consistent with our tax strategy and applicable laws and results in a prudent approach to tax risk. (redhat.com)
Counseling for the Elderly1
- The first way is through the Tax Counseling for the Elderly program, or TCE. (prnewswire.com)
- As their employer, you have the added responsibility of withholding taxes from their paychecks. (irs.gov)
- European business interests are lobbying Philippine President Benigno Aquino to legislate an "open skies" policy which would bring down "burdensome" aviation taxes. (globalpolicy.org)
- Opponents also suggest that hundreds of different green taxes would be burdensome and confusing, creating a wave of political problems as each new tax appeared to target a particular section of society. (newint.org)
- AP) - The latest attempt to lower property taxes in Nebraska faced an uncertain future Wednesday as lawmakers squabbled over whether it would hurt K-12 public schools that rely heavily on the revenue. (ap.org)
- After state lawmakers boosted the gas tax with a promise to improve California streets, some cities are upsetting drivers by spending millions on so-called 'road diet' projects that reduce the number of lanes for motor vehicles. (reason.com)
- Jack Daniel's is turning to state lawmakers to ensure that distillers aren't subject to property tax on whiskey barrels in Tennessee, which the company says it hasn't. (nypost.com)
- On Thursday farmers once again mounted roadblocks after lawmakers failed to reach quorum in Congress to debate a bill that would reduce the 35 percent soybean export tax. (cnn.com)
- CBO examines choices lawmakers would face in establishing a federal tax on the miles traveled by commercial trucks-including choices about the tax base, rate structure, and implementation methods-and illustrates how such a tax might affect the federal budget. (cbo.gov)
- Driverless taxis are ubiquitous and complementary to PRT. (google.com)
- Instead, the IRS taxes the profits that flow to individual partners as personal income. (findlaw.com)
- When you file your personal income tax return, you'll need to be aware of the issues involved in reporting profits and losses from your partnership. (findlaw.com)
- Though a partnership doesn't pay taxes on its profits, it does declare its operating losses and profits to the IRS in Form 1065. (findlaw.com)
- The partnership must also send Form K-1 to owners that states profits/losses allocated to each partner (the K-1 is reported on line 17 of your personal tax return 1040). (findlaw.com)
- The IRS taxes based on a partner's 'distributive share,' which is the percentage of the profits the partner is entitled to. (findlaw.com)
- Otherwise, partnerships could retain profits to avoid paying taxes. (findlaw.com)
- The prospect of increased taxes is likely to cause consternation in the sector after wildcat strikes last year hit profits and the country's economic growth prospects. (news.com.au)
- When filing your annual income tax return, you must report the profits and losses of your business. (findlaw.com)
- Unlike many travelers, I wasn't in Panama City to launder my ill-gotten cash or to hide my profits from meddling tax collectors (not least because I have neither). (commondreams.org)
- For more information about small businesses and their tax obligations, please visit FindLaw's Business Taxes section. (findlaw.com)
- Voluntary payments by district to taxing entity for removal of property from tax rolls. (wa.gov)
- Withholding taxes is voluntary -- you can continue to pay your taxes the way you've been paying them. (sun-sentinel.com)
- If you have any questions about voluntary tax withholding, visit us at www.ssa.gov/pubs/10077.html to view the booklet, Social Security -- What You Need to Know When You Get Retirement or Survivors Benefits. (sun-sentinel.com)
- b) A low tax on earnings (say 15%), at least for funds below a defined maximum balance that provides for "comfortable" retirement. (google.com)
- T his tax would apply at all ages, including in "retirement", but may be offset by tax credits paid by companies on their distributions to shareholders. (google.com)
- Other examples of income liable for estimated tax include taxable unemployment compensation , retirement benefits, and the taxable part of Social Security benefits received. (investopedia.com)
- Profit and prosper with the best of Kiplinger's advice on investing, taxes, retirement, personal finance and much more - straight to your e-mail. (kiplinger.com)
- We will assist individuals with the tax efficient structuring of their remuneration packages within the allowed legislation framework. (pwc.com)
- We will assist individuals annually to compute, complete and submit their income tax returns and act as correspondents to have the accurate assessment thereof done as quickly as possible. (pwc.com)
- Prepare tax returns for individuals or small businesses. (bls.gov)
- All individuals who are present in the U.S. on a J or F visa must file a U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return and/or Statement for Exempt Individuals (Form 8843). (iie.org)
- Indy Free Tax Prep is a network of Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites provide through the United Way of Central Indiana that offer free tax preparation to individuals and families with a combined household income of $64,000 or less. (in.gov)
- Estimated tax allows individuals or business owners to pre-pay a certain amount of income tax based on income received before the year is complete. (investopedia.com)
- Because certain individuals are not subject to automatic tax withholding (e.g. self-employed), estimated tax helps smooth income tax payments so that there is no surprise lump sum due at tax filing. (investopedia.com)
- For example, self-employed individuals typically pay estimated tax on 92.35% of their net earnings. (investopedia.com)
- Individuals, including sole proprietors, partners and shareholders of S corporations must make estimated tax payments on business ownership earnings if the total of tax on built-in gains, excess net passive income tax, and investment credit recapture tax is $1000 or more. (investopedia.com)
- As a result of the boom in small businesses, more and more individuals are taxed as self-employed. (mortgageloan.com)
- According to Kelly Luzania , an alcohol regulatory attorney at Davis Wright Tremaine LLP , if Congress does not act to extend or make permanent the tax credits, tax rates will increase for all breweries and beer importers. (forbes.com)
- Congress has established large penalties for delays in turning over your employment taxes to the Treasury. (irs.gov)
- He formally proposed the tax cut in December 1962, he was assassinated in November 1963, and Congress passed the tax cut, to be signed by President Johnson, in February 1964. (wsj.com)
- So whether or not Congress has kept its promise to vote on the related Internet Tax Freedom Act by early spring, the legislation has the full force of careful deliberation - and historical inevitability - behind it. (mit.edu)
- The promises from the the likes of AT&T, Wells Fargo and Boeing followed Congress passing a $1.5 trillion tax cut. (newsweek.com)
- The Internal Revenue Service has unveiled its People First Initiative-a sweeping series of steps designed to make life easier on people facing tax issues during the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis. (nolo.com)
- However, if you have questions about your tax liability, call the Internal Revenue Service. (sun-sentinel.com)
- The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) issues guidance on federal tax laws. (mass.gov)
- If the gain on the property is less than U.S. $150,000, would the tax implications be significant one way or the other? (bankrate.com)
- If he doesn't live in the U.S. and he doesn't have a green card, then there are obviously no tax implications as he is a foreigner for tax purposes. (bankrate.com)
- To make informed decisions, companies need to identify tax trends, anticipate tax changes in the countries where they operate, quantify the effects of anticipated changes, communicate with internal and external stakeholders about the potential implications, and proactively engage with tax policymakers throughout the process. (ey.com)
- It's a policy direction that could have come at any time over the past decade, but is particularly pressing as we face into Brexit - which threatens the main export market for most SME's here - and likely changes to the corporate tax regime in the US and EU that have implications for Ireland's highly successful Foreign Direct Investment model. (rte.ie)
- Special benefit assessments - Property taxes - Exemptions: RCW 84.34.300 through 84.34.380 . (wa.gov)
- The House Appropriations Committee endorsed a budget that includes $520 million in new tax revenue created by eliminating exemptions for businesses and industries. (washingtontimes.com)
- It also includes higher fees, the elimination of tax exemptions for some industries and the freezing of any new initiatives or programs. (washingtontimes.com)
- Committee Chairman Vincent F. Callahan, Fairfax County Republican, said the proposed House budget would raise $520 million by eliminating tax exemptions for industries, including airlines, public utilities, telecommunications companies, overseas shippers and railroads. (washingtontimes.com)
Filing Your Taxes1
- WASHINGTON , Feb. 16, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Filing your taxes shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. (prnewswire.com)
- But, while these "solidarity contributions" will raise funds for development, many argue that the taxes are too low to have any impact on airplane travel. (globalpolicy.org)
- UNITAID, receiving the bulk of its funds from French taxes on airline tickets, will raise US$300 million in 2006, a number that French Foreign Minister Philippe Douste-Blazy expects will rise to almost US$1 billion by 2008. (globalpolicy.org)
- Stump speeches by those seeking new area-specific seats frequently include phrases like the rail plan costs too much, will raise property taxes and it doesn't serve the district. (bankrate.com)
- How much revenue do state and local governments raise from motor fuel taxes? (urban.org)
- When you must raise taxes for necessities seems like you are a poor planner or a big spender or both. (topix.com)
- This doesn't mean that people like John Boehner are lying when they say that it's better to risk a federal default than it is to raise taxes even a little bit. (reuters.com)
- Independent contractors and self-employed workers have to pay estimated taxes every quarter - find out how. (nolo.com)
- Partners are considered to be self-employed, not employees, and therefore need to file a Schedule SE with their Form 1040 to pay their self-employment taxes . (findlaw.com)
- Because of this self employed status, you're also responsible to pay your share of Social Security taxes and Medicare. (findlaw.com)
- If you are self-employed, operate a farm, or are an employee of a church, then you may be responsible for paying your own employment taxes. (mortgageloan.com)
- What is SECA (Self Employed Contributions Act Tax)? (mortgageloan.com)
- What is Transaction Privilege (Sales) & Use Tax? (phoenix.gov)
- Transaction privilege tax is commonly referred to as a sales tax. (phoenix.gov)
- Arizona's Transaction Privilege Tax (TPT) is imposed on the privilege of conducting business in this state. (phoenix.gov)
- Businesses are required to report and pay Phoenix privilege sales tax on their taxable business activity on a monthly, quarterly, or annual frequency. (phoenix.gov)
- Public utility district privilege tax - Tools for administration. (wa.gov)
- Severance payments are wages and are subject to regular FICA taxes. (nolo.com)
- If the last time you filed sales tax was 1/17, you need to create a TNTAP logon to file this year. (tn.us)
- Because most U.S. breweries produce less than 60,000 barrels per year, the Beer Institute calculates that 99% of U.S. breweries' excise tax payments were reduced by 50% directly as a result of the CBMTRA . (forbes.com)
- The Beer Institute estimates that the failure to extend the CBMTRA excise tax credits will cost the beer industry an additional $130 million per year just in excise taxes for the same volume of beer. (forbes.com)
- Tax filers who were expecting to pay less federal income tax this year may be in for an unpleasant surprise thanks to new regulations, CPA Grapeson. (prnewswire.com)
- GRANTAX files your U.S. nonresident income tax report (return) based solely on your questionnaire without verification, as well as official tax forms you receive from independent sources at the beginning of the year. (iie.org)
- Canada's federal government has the following tax brackets for the 2012 tax year (all in Canadian dollars). (wikipedia.org)
- And with progressive tax rates applied to withdrawals, t he more that's withdrawn in any single year, the higher the % rate of tax that will apply - so there's an incentive to withdraw funds gradually. (google.com)
- The next year, the mayor was able to get Chicago city council members to change the flat $5 parking tax to a percentage parking tax. (bankrate.com)
- Those who wouldn't immediately benefit from the rail line but who would see their residential property taxes go up on average by $200 a year tend to oppose it. (bankrate.com)
- Last year, reports surfaced that the government was considering a value-added tax in an attempt to broaden its revenue base and reduce its non-hydrocarbon deficit, which was equivalent to 17 percent of the country's GDP in 2011. (cnbc.com)
- The roadblocks were the latest in a year-long conflict between the government of President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner and Argentina's large farming sector over export taxes on soybeans. (cnn.com)
- Few taxes provoke more fury than those at the fuel pump and 2012 is an election year. (cnn.com)
- 2. Gas taxes rise every year. (cnn.com)
- If the estimated taxes that are paid do not equal at least 90% of the taxpayer's actual tax liability (or 100% or 110% of the taxpayer's prior-year liability, depending on the level of adjusted gross income ), then interest and penalties are assessed against the delinquent amount. (investopedia.com)
- A business owner who reports income on Schedule C and, at the same time, works for an employer who withholds from his paycheck, may be able to increase his withholding so that it equals what his tax liability would be for the entire year. (investopedia.com)
- IRS Form 1040-ES is used to calculate and pay estimated taxes for a given tax year. (investopedia.com)
- In addition, the proposed 2-percentage-point cut in payroll taxes through the end of next year needs careful examination to determine its long-term effect on the Social Security system. (washingtonpost.com)
- Later this year, the minister of finance will be commissioning a study of our current tax policies, to make sure that we have an appropriate revenue base to support public spending,' Zuma told the opening of parliament on Thursday. (news.com.au)
- The Senate's two-year, $61.5 billion plan includes a sales-tax increase from 4.5 percent to 5.5 percent, higher tax brackets for the wealthy and higher taxes on gasoline. (washingtontimes.com)
- A headline from a Danish newspaper last year read, Denmark Keeps World Tax Title, for the highest taxes in the world. (npr.org)
- Although filing quarterly taxes may not be a requirement for you, note that you need to pay enough income tax throughout the year to cover your income tax bill. (findlaw.com)
- Seventeen states are having sales tax holidays this year. (kiplinger.com)
- The new report provides details on the changes in tax policy that took place during 2011 legislative sessions that will affect revenue collections in FY 2012. (ncsl.org)
- Credentialed members of the media may request a free full copy of NCSL's " State Tax Actions " report on our website. (ncsl.org)
- The idea of taking a tax bite out of digital communications comes courtesy The Club of Rome, specifically Arthur Cordell and Ran Ide's 1994 report "The New Wealth of Nations. (mit.edu)
- It has sharpened the focus in this report to look at how the income tax system may hold back growth in one of the fastest growing area of the economy, ICT. (rte.ie)
- Federal payments in lieu of taxes. (wa.gov)
- Estimated tax pre-payments are most often made on a quarterly basis. (investopedia.com)
- Since they are not subject to withholding tax, the IRS requires that they make quarterly estimated tax payments in order to cover their self-employment tax obligation. (investopedia.com)
- You will need to use Form 1040-ES to file these estimated tax payments. (findlaw.com)
- To ensure continued tax-free treatment for such per diem payments or reimbursements under the "accountable plan" concept, a legislature will need to keep several continuing requirements in mind. (ncsl.org)
- Vote No on the Sales New Tax - Prop 'A' - Nov 3rd! (google.com)
- But they do contribute to the economy and pay some taxes, such as sales taxes. (edweek.org)
- The "State Tax Actions" shows sales taxes experienced the largest cuts, at what was projected to be more than $5.2 billion. (ncsl.org)
- It differs from a sales tax in that the tax is imposed on the business, not the purchaser. (phoenix.gov)
- While a business may pass the tax on to the consumer in the manner of a sales tax, the business is responsible for reporting and remitting the appropriate tax on their business activity. (phoenix.gov)
- If you are selling goods or products online and some of your customers are located in California, you need to be aware of California's Internet sales tax rules. (nolo.com)
- If you are selling goods or products through a website and have customers located in Florida, you should be aware of Florida's Internet sales tax rules. (nolo.com)
- In its South Dakota v. Wayfair Inc. decision, the United States Supreme Court fundamentally changed the rules for collection of sales tax by Internet-based retailers. (nolo.com)
- We estimate the sensitivity of Internet retail purchasing to sales taxes using data from the eBay marketplace. (nber.org)
- We use millions of location "surprises" to estimate price elasticities with respect to the effective sales tax. (nber.org)
- We then use aggregated data to estimate cross-state substitution parameters, and substitution between offline and online purchases, relying on the variation in state and local sales taxes, and on changes in these rates over time. (nber.org)
- We find substantial sensitivity to sales taxes. (nber.org)
- The U.A.E. charges a 30 percent tax on alcohol, and an additional 50 percent sales tax on alcohol sold in Dubai. (cnbc.com)
- The biggest fight occurred over "nexus" issues, that is, when online retailers had a large enough physical presence in a state to warrant collection of sales taxes. (cato.org)
- Replace the federal income tax with a national sales tax? (cato.org)
- Then let's talk about applying sales taxes to the Internet. (cato.org)
- Instead, a sales tax is the means - often the principal means - of filling government coffers. (mit.edu)
- The sales tax is also particularly popular among bureaucrats in developing nations, where collecting income tax is even harder because the poor make so little and the rich can avoid so much. (mit.edu)
- Plus, the sales tax turns retailers into a nationwide web of tax collectors. (mit.edu)
- While the sales tax is fairly commonplace, the value-added tax is more or less unknown in the United States. (mit.edu)
- Save 15% off on products from CafePress, excluding shipping charges, and applicable sales tax. (cafepress.com)
- Before you embark on a shopping spree in any of the 10 worst states for sales taxes, make extra room in your budget. (kiplinger.com)
- Besides being simple, having all tax benefits on earnings (a low tax rate) automatically rewards people for saving longer and thus avoids the need for complex regulations limiting annual contributions and withdrawals . (google.com)
- Their impact has been so great in part because they have developed relatively free of the government regulations and taxes that routinely hobble other businesses. (cato.org)
- It also monitors developments in tax laws and regulations to assess their impact on the College and its related entities. (dartmouth.edu)
- In accordance with IRS regulations, Dartmouth makes its most recent federal income tax returns available for public inspection. (dartmouth.edu)
- Red Hat embraces high standards of corporate governance, transparency and responsibility and strives to comply with all relevant tax laws, rules and regulations. (redhat.com)