Somalia is located on the east coast of Africa on and north of the Equator and, with Ethiopia, Eritrea, Djibouti, and Kenya, is often referred to as the Horn of Africa. It comprises Italy's former Trust Territory of Somalia and the former British Protectorate of Somaliland. The capital is Mogadishu.
A general term encompassing three types of excision of the external female genitalia - Sunna, clitoridectomy, and infibulation. It is associated with severe health risks and has been declared illegal in many places, but continues to be widely practiced in a number of countries, particularly in Africa.
An international organization whose members include most of the sovereign nations of the world with headquarters in New York City. The primary objectives of the organization are to maintain peace and security and to achieve international cooperation in solving international economic, social, cultural, or humanitarian problems.
American Heart Association
Neisseria meningitidis, Serogroup Y
Health Planning Councils
Indicator Dilution Techniques
Reproductive Health Services
A peptidyl-dipeptidase that catalyzes the release of a C-terminal dipeptide, -Xaa-*-Xbb-Xcc, when neither Xaa nor Xbb is Pro. It is a Cl(-)-dependent, zinc glycoprotein that is generally membrane-bound and active at neutral pH. It may also have endopeptidase activity on some substrates. (From Enzyme Nomenclature, 1992) EC 184.108.40.206.
Drug and Narcotic Control
The religion stemming from the life, teachings, and death of Jesus Christ: the religion that believes in God as the Father Almighty who works redemptively through the Holy Spirit for men's salvation and that affirms Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior who proclaimed to man the gospel of salvation. (From Webster, 3d ed)
Historical dictionary of Somalia. Haji Mukhtar. 2003. History of Somalia. Ajuran. Somalia. Borana. Historical dictionary of ... Note of the Linguistic Situation of the Somali and Galla in Kenya. B.W, ANDRZEJEWSKI.. ... History of Somalia. Wajir District Annual Reports and Wajir Political Record Book Vol.II. Garre. History of the Galla. The ... The Liban expedition in Somalia was a major victory for the Borana, and allowed the Borana to control many trade routes and ...
CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) "EASO Country of Origin Information Report Somalia Security Situation" (PDF). Retrieved ... "Districts of Somalia". "Districts of Somalia". "Somaliland Block SL10B/13" (PDF). Retrieved 10 March 2020. ... Somaliland portal Districts of Somalia Administrative Map of Aynabo District v t e. ...
"Somalia Humanitarian Situation Update". WikiLeaks. USAID. Retrieved 3 July 2016. "Somalia IDP Figures Analysis". IDMC. Archived ... A situation can be called a crisis, either from the perspective of the forcibly displaced persons, or from the perspective of ... The refugee situation and the presence of numerous refugee camps continues to be a point of contention in the Israeli- ... Little action was taken to resolve the situation and the crisis did not end until Rwanda-supported rebels forced the refugees ...
"Somalia Humanitarian Situation Update". Wikileaks. USAID. Retrieved 19 June 2016. "Population Movements , Somali , Refugee ... 11,832 are Somalia-born immigrants and 9,372 are descendants of Somalia-born persons. 8,852 individuals are citizens of Somalia ... Somalia's Missing Million: The Somali Diaspora and its Role in Development Somalia: How is the fate of the Somalis in Egypt? ... The civil war in Somalia greatly increased the size of the Somali diaspora, as many Somalis moved from Greater Somalia ...
2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami
"India, Indonesia, Maldives, Myanmar, Somalia, Thailand: Earthquake and Tsunami OCHA Situation Report No. 14". Reliefweb.int. ... The Puntland coast in northern Somalia was by far the area hardest hit by the waves to the west of the Indian subcontinent. The ... The hardest-hit was a 650 km (400 mi) stretch of the Somalia coastline between Garacad (Mudug region) and Xaafuun (Bari region ... Distance alone was no guarantee of safety, as Somalia was hit harder than Bangladesh despite being much farther away. Because ...
Somalis in Kenya
"Somalia Humanitarian Situation Update". Wikileaks. USAID. Retrieved 19 June 2016. "Registered Somali Refugee Population". UNHCR ... Kenya/Somalia: Somalia community doing booming business in country Archived 16 February 2011 at the Wayback Machine Help Locals ... Following the civil war in Somalia that broke out in 1991, many Somalis sought asylum in the Somali-inhabited enclaves of Kenya ... Following the civil war in Somalia that broke out in 1991, many Somalis sought asylum in the Somali-inhabited enclaves in Kenya ...
"Total Refugees from Somalia". Operational Portal: Refugee Situations. UNHCR. Retrieved 7 September 2016. Munene, Evans (4 ...
Cholera outbreaks and pandemics
"Cholera situation in Somalia" (PDF). WHO. May 2017. Archived (PDF) from the original on 14 November 2017. Retrieved 27 June ... Somalia, 2017: An ongoing outbreak started in January 2017 in Somalia. By the end of May, there were more than 50,000 cases, ... Somalia has suffered a double hit of cholera and famine, associated with the refugee camps, limited sanitation, and severe ... "Situation report on diarrhoea and cholera in Iraq". ReliefWeb. 2008-10-29. Archived from the original on 2008-11-11. Retrieved ...
Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue
"Mediation efforts in Somalia" (PDF). Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue. Retrieved 6 September 2016. Leary, Kimberlyn (21 April ... "Adaptation of aid in situations of conflict and fragility" (PDF). Swedish Agency for Development Evaluation. Retrieved 1 ... Somalia, Mali, Indonesia (Aceh), Timor Leste, Burundi, Nepal, and Ukraine, as well as in a large number of confidential ...
"UNHCR: Situation Horn of Africa Somalia". 2020. Hayward, R. J.; Lewis, I. M. (2005-08-17). Voice and Power. Routledge. p. 136. ... http://www.fsnau.org/ipc/population-table Population census by UNFP based on Somalia. v t e. ...
Presidency of the United Nations Security Council
"Briefing Security Council, High Commissioner For Refugees Says Situations In Iraq, Somalia Key To Rising Numbers Of Displaced ... Retrieved 29 June 2017.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) "Security Council Press Statement on the Situation in Yemen , ... "Security Council Press Statement on Situation in Abyei". Archived from the original on 19 April 2012. Retrieved 29 June 2017. " ... "Security Council Press Statement on Situation between Iraq and Kuwait". Archived from the original on 30 June 2013. Retrieved ...
"The situation in Tigray at the beginning of 2021". ResearchGate. Retrieved 27 February 2021. "Situation-Report EEPA Horn No. 31 ... "Somalia denies claims its soldiers killed in Tigray war helping ENDF". Garowe Online. Archived from the original on 19 January ... Somalia was involved in the Tigray War according to former head of the Somali National Intelligence and Security Agency, ... "Somalia supports Ethiopia's military actions in Tigray days after FM sacked". Garowe Online. Archived from the original on 3 ...
"Desert Locust situation update 20 January 2020". www.fao.org. "Somalia declares emergency over locust swarms". BBC News. 2 ... The situation assessments and forecasts are published in monthly locust bulletins that date back to the 1970s. These are ... In February, the UN stated that the swarms are the largest in Somalia and Ethiopia in 25 years. The swarm spread into East ... "Somalia declares emergency over locust swarms". BBC News. 2020-02-02. Retrieved 2020-02-18. "In Pictures: Desert locusts swarm ...
Muktar Hussein Afrah
"Situation in central Somalia is calm today". Shabelle Media Networks. Archived from the original on September 30, 2007. ... "Somalia: Curfew imposed on Afgoye as Ethiopian troops release Col. Afrah". Shabelle Media Network. 2007-01-10. Archived from ... "Somalia: Ethiopian soldiers arrest government representative for Hiran province". Shabelle Media Networks. 2007-01-07. Archived ... is an officer in the army of the Transitional Federal Government of Somalia. He was commander of forces in Beledweyne after the ...
Dalby (1998:571) harvcoltxt error: no target: CITEREFDalby1998 (help) Somalia: Language situation and dialects (PDF). Landinfo ... "Report Somalia: Language situation and dialects" (PDF). Country of Origin Information Centre (Landinfo). 2011. p. 6. Blench, ... p. 5., Quote: "Lamberti surveyed Somali dialects during a field study in Somalia in 1981. He completed his studies in Mogadishu ... Its primary speech area stretches from Djibouti, Somaliland and to parts of the eastern and southwestern sections of Somalia. ...
2003 Somaliland presidential election
Menkhaus, Kenneth (August 2003). "SOMALIA: A SITUATION ANALYSIS AND TREND ASSESSMENT". Writenet Report commissioned by United ... was painted by Kulmiye as holdovers from the former Barre Government in Somalia-a military regime that ruled Somalia for 20 ... Authorities in Puntland, another autonomous region of Somalia that disputes some territorial boundaries with Somaliland, ...
"Report Somalia: Language situation and dialects" (PDF). Country of Origin Information Centre (Landinfo). 2011. p. 6. Somali ... spread in Greater Somalia of which around 7.8 million resided in Somalia. The language is spoken by an estimated 95% of the ... It is spoken as a mother tongue by Somalis in Greater Somalia and the Somali diaspora. Somali is an official language of ... There are other languages that are spoken in Somalia which are not necessarily Afsoomali. They may be a mixture of the Somali ...
Abdirahman Abdishakur Warsame
"Somalia Changes Presidential Election Venue, Citing Transparency Concerns". "Current situation in Somalia: federalism, ... "The Somalia conference in London, May 2013". "Meet Abdirahman Abdishakur". "Somalia's Electoral Road-Map and Federal Relations ... While holding this position, Warsame was part of several diplomatic successes achieved by Somalia. For the first time in 20 ... He served as a political adviser to two consecutive UN envoys to Somalia, Ambassador Nicholas Kay and Michael Keating.[citation ...
The situation came to a head when the Portuguese attacked and captured the vessel Rahimi which belonged to Mariam Zamani the ... In the late 2000s, the emergence of piracy off the coast of Somalia spurred a multi-national effort led by the United States to ... The fourth volume of the handbook: Best Management Practices to Deter Piracy off the Coast of Somalia and in the Arabian Sea ... The attack against the German-built cruise ship the Seabourn Spirit offshore of Somalia in November 2005 is an example of the ...
International reactions to the Saudi-led intervention in Yemen (2015-present)
"Somalia lends support to Saudi-led fight against Houthis in Yemen". Goobjoog. 7 April 2015. Retrieved 8 April 2015. "Somalia ... In late April, Eritrean President, Isaias Afwerki, visited Saudi Arabia for talks on bilateral relations and the situation in ... "SOMALIA: Somalia finally pledges support to Saudi-led coalition in Yemen - Raxanreeb Online". RBC Radio. 7 April 2015. Archived ... Somalia - President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud indicated that the Federal Government of Somalia supported the Saudi-led military ...
In addition to previous Soviet funding and arms support to Somalia, Egypt sent millions of dollars in arms to Somalia, ... "the ogaden situation" (PDF). Central Intelligence Agency. Retrieved 2020-01-05. Tareke 2000, p. 645. Tareke 2000, p. 646. " ... The United States adopted Somalia as a Cold War ally from the late 1970s to 1988 in exchange for use of Somali bases, and a way ... From 1976 to 1977, Somalia supplied arms and other aid to the WSLF. A sign that order had been restored among the Derg was the ...
After passing just north of Somalia, Megh progressed westward into the Gulf of Aden, the waterway between Somalia and the ... Yemen Crisis: IOM Regional Response - Situation Report, 3 December 2015 (PDF). International Organization for Migration (Report ... Somalia: Flash Update 3 Humanitarian Impact of Heavy Rains (PDF) (Report). United Nations Office for the Coordination of ... Somalia: Tropical Cyclone Chapala Emergency Plan of Action (EPoA) DREF Operation ° MDRSO004. International Federation of Red ...
Tigrayan peace process
"Ethiopia, Eritrea and Somalia adopts 2020 joint plan". Fana Broadcasting Corporate. 27 January 2020. Archived from the original ... "Situation Report EEPA HORN No. 85 - 16 February 2021" (PDF). Europe External Programme with Africa. 16 February 2021. Archived ... He stated that Ethiopia would manage the situation on its own. Moussa Faki, chairperson of the African Union Commission, "urged ... Plaut, Martin (23 January 2021). "What are the war aims of Ethiopia, Eritrea and Somalia in Tigray?". Eritrea Hub. Archived ...
"EASO Country of Origin Information Report Somalia Security Situation" (PDF). Somaliland portal Districts of Somalia v t e. ...
When Somalia sought to create a Greater Somalia, it declared war on Ethiopia and took the Ogaden region in three months with ... "the ogaden situation" (PDF). Central Intelligence Agency. Archived (PDF) from the original on 19 March 2020. Retrieved 5 ... "Russians in Somalia: Foothold in Africa Suddenly Shaky". The New York Times. 16 September 1977. Archived from the original on ... The Ming Dynasty admiral, Zheng He, and his fleet rounded the coast of Somalia and followed the coast down to the Mozambique ...
Timeline of the COVID-19 pandemic in April 2020
WHO Situation Report 74: Albania reports 27 new cases with a total death toll of 17. Canada confirms that it has 10,132 cases ... Somalia reports its first death. Authorities also reported four new cases, bringing the total to 12. Switzerland reports a ... WHO Situation Report 76: Albania reports 28 new cases, bringing the total to 361. The country reports a total of 20 deaths and ... WHO Situation Report 80: Brazil reports its first case among the Yanomami people in the Amazon: a 15-year-old boy. Canada ...
2021 Somali presidential election
"UAE expresses grave concern over deteriorating situation in Somalia". Khaleej Times. 20 February 2021. Archived from the ... "Somalia's opposition urges Turkey not to send arms to police unit". Reuters. 16 December 2020. "Time running out on Somalia's ... The United Arab Emirates expressed grave concern over the deteriorating situation in Somalia, calling upon the interim ... and that the growing political tensions threatened Somalia's State-building progress and even security. He encouraged Somalia's ...
2018 North Indian Ocean cyclone season
Humanitarian Bulletin Somalia, 1 May - 3 June 2018 (PDF). United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs ( ... UNICEF Djibouti Humanitarian Situation Report, June 2018. United Nations Children Fund (Report). June 30, 2018. ReliefWeb. ... "Sagar Pounds Somalia; New Cyclone May Threaten Oman". Weather Underground. Retrieved 21 May 2018. "Tropical Cyclone Sagar ... In parts of northern Somalia and Somaliland, Sagar dropped a years' worth of heavy rainfall, or around 200 mm (7.9 in), ...
Somalia cVDPV Outbreak Response Situation Report #3 (PDF) (Report). WHO, UNICEF. 20 August 2018. Archived (PDF) from the ... In Somalia, cVDPV2 continued to circulate, causing several polio cases and detected in environmental samples from as far as ... In April, a case of wild polio in Mogadishu was reported, the first in Somalia since 2007. By October, over 170 cases had been ... Somalia's continuing outbreaks caused a half-dozen cases there and in neighboring Ethiopia, with a separate Ethiopia outbreak ...
Situations in Mogadishu eventually devolved and escalated, resulting in the Battle of Mogadishu. McKnight participated in the ... McKnight was deployed again in 1993 to Mogadishu, Somalia. During this time, he served as commander of the 3rd Battalion, 75th ...
In certain situations involving state public employees in the United States, such as California, "fair share laws" make it easy ... Labor Situation in Japan and Analysis: 2009/2010. Archived 27 September 2011 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 10 June 2011 ...
WHO situation reports *cases *January 2020. *February 2020. *March 2020. *April 2020 ...
Wikipedia:In the news/Candidates/December 2006
Ethiopian troops in Somalia capture Beledweyne, a town near the seat of the Transitional Federal Government of Somalia in ... From what I've heard in the Chilean press, his situation is life-threatening. Last rites had been administered by a Catholic ... Ethiopian planes bomb Somalia as it admits its troops are at war with the Islamic Courts Union. --TheFEARgod (Ч) 13:20, 24 ... Juan Ignacio Vergara from the Military Hospital emphasized the potentially fatal situation the former president is in. The ...
Abortion - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They would do it again in a similar situation.. A study done in New Zealand in 2006 showed that many women who had ... In some countries like Ireland and Somalia it is legal only to save the life of the woman. If a woman is raped in Ireland and ... There are many crisis pregnancy centers pro-life people have started to help women in these situations. They have also started ... "regardless of situation". A March 2007 poll about abortion in Brazil found that 65% of Brazilians believe that it "should ...
Languages of Mauritius
Being both an English-speaking and French-speaking nation, Mauritius is a member of both the Commonwealth of Nations and La Francophonie. Mauritian Creole, which is spoken by an estimated 90% of the population, is considered to be the native language of the country and is used most often in informal settings. It was developed in the 18th century by slaves who used a pidgin language to communicate with each other as well as with their French masters, who did not understand the various African languages. The pidgin evolved with later generations to become a casual language. Mauritian Creole is a French-based creole due to its close ties with French pronunciation and vocabulary. Mauritian Sign Language is the language of the deaf community. It is only in the Parliament that the official language is English but any member of the National Assembly can still address the chair in French. English and French are generally accepted as the official languages of Mauritius and as the ...
Whether French actions improved or worsened the situation in the long term is disputed. What exactly happened that night is ... The report was doubtful as to whether the situation can be improved significantly: "According to the 2015 edition of the Cocoa ...
The term "developing" describes a currently observed situation and not a dynamic or expected direction of progress. Since the ...
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
... for actions in the following situations; combat with an armed enemy of the United States, a declared national emergency, or ... Navy who served in Somalia in the early 1990s. ...
"American Medal of Honor recipients for Somalia. United States Army Center of Military History. June 8, 2009. Retrieved June 8, ... Mission commanders denied Gordon's request twice, saying that the situation was too dangerous for the Delta snipers to ... Shughart was deployed to Mogadishu, Somalia, in 1993 as part of Task Force Ranger. On October 3, 1993, during Operation Gothic ... Somalia. Sergeant First Class Shughart provided precision sniper fires from the lead helicopter during an assault on a building ...
World Press Photo of the Year
Famine in Somalia A Somali mother lifts up the body of her child, killed by malnutrition. Image ... situation or event of great journalistic importance, and does so in a way that demonstrates an outstanding level of visual ... on the shore of Djibouti City raise their cell phones in an attempt to capture an inexpensive signal from neighboring Somalia. ...
"Somalia: UN Envoy Says Inauguration of New Parliament in Somalia 'Historic Moment'". Forum on China-Africa Cooperation. 21 ... "Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada, "Djibouti: Situation and treatment of Christians, including instances of ... In antiquity, the territory together with Somalia was part of the Land of Punt. Nearby Zeila, now in Somalia, was the seat of ... Djibouti maintains close ties with the governments of Somalia, Ethiopia, France and the United States. Ties with Somalia are ...
"FEWSNET report: 260,000 people died in the Somalia famine , Oxfam International".. *^ a b de Waal, Alex (January 2018). "The ... Drawing on situations as diverse as the Great Irish Potato Famine, a series of weather induced famines in Asia during the ... In Somalia, famine occurred because of a failed state. The famine in Yemen was a direct result of the Saudi Arabian-led ... The famine situation worsened during 1846 and the repeal of the Corn Laws in that year did little to help the starving Irish; ...
2012 Israeli operation in the Gaza Strip
"Five Years of Blockade: The Humanitarian Situation in Gaza" (PDF). United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian ... military engagements by both the Kenya Defence Forces and Al Shabaab during the KDF's operation against Al Shabaab in Somalia ... Situation Report. United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. 26 November 2012. Archived from the ... "Foreign minister Nikolay Mladenov commenting on the situation in southern Israel and the Gaza Strip". Ministry of Foreign ...
In the situation in which a patient is unable to make an autonomous decision, the neurosurgeon should discuss with the ... and Puntland Autonomous Region within Federal Republic of Somalia. ... Issues arise in emergency room situations where there may not be time to consider the principle of patient autonomy. Various ... If the patient is capable of making an autonomous decision, these situations are generally less ethically strenuous as the ...
Islam in Albania
The same situation existed in Shkodër where the city was broadly split into neighbourhoods defined by faith with the Roma ... "Anders stellt sich die Situation in Koxhas dar. Die Albaner dort bilden bis heute die Mehrheit, d.h. der Anteil der Bosniaken ... Such an attitude was not conducive to Albanian independence to which the international situation was favourable in 1912 and ...
China's peaceful rise
... hence it is necessary to make the best of the situation and adapt to the changes." ...
Visa requirements for crew members
Country list - Yellow fever vaccination requirements and recommendations; and malaria situation; and other vaccination ... Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, ...
Education in Chad
On the secondary level, the situation was even worse. In the 1970s and 1980s, Chad made considerable progress in dealing ...
List of epidemics
Situation summary Latest available situation summary, 26 June 2015. World Health Organisation (2015-06-19). Retrieved on 2015- ... "Somalia cholera death fears grow". 2007-04-28. Retrieved 16 November 2014.. ...
In cultures and situations where cheek kissing is the social norm, the failure or refusal to give or accept a kiss is commonly ... Cheek kissing is common in the Horn of Africa, which includes Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, and Somalia, and is also present ... Depending on country and situation, the number of kisses is usually one, two, three or four. Hand-shaking or hugging may also ... A hug alone may also suffice in both of these situations, and is much more common. Particularly in the southeastern United ...
Penyakit koronavirus 2019 Bahasa Melayu, ensiklopedia bebas
"MOH , Updates on 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Local Situation". www.moh.gov.sg. Dicapai pada 2020-02-11.. ... "MOH , Updates on 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Local Situation". www.moh.gov.sg. Dicapai pada 2020-02-11.. ... "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Situation Summary". Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 30 January 2020. Diarkib ... Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV): situation report, 6 (Laporan). World Health Organization. 2020. https://www.who.int/docs/ ...
European Defence Fund
Intelligence and Situation Centre (Club de Berne). *Crisis Management and Planning Directorate ... Somalia (2012 - Present). Border assistance mission (EUBAM). *Moldova and Ukraine (2005 - present) ...
Somalia & Djibouti. Somali. South Africa. South African. Tanzania. Tanzanian. Uganda. Ugandan. Zambia. Zambian. ... An alternate analysis of the ASL-English contact situation". Sign Language Studies. 12 (38): 1-24. ISSN 0302-1475. OCLC ...
Islam in the Netherlands Antilles
Muslim Situation in the Caribbean *^ a b c ISLAM and MUSLIMS IN NETHERLANDS ANTILLES ...
WHO situation reports *cases. *deaths. *World map by countries: confirmed per capita *China ...
In such a situation, factions manipulate the state to benefit themselves or, alternatively, state leaders use the bureaucracy ... Civil wars have further resulted in economic collapse; Somalia, Burma (Myanmar), Uganda and Angola are examples of nations that ...
කොවිඩ්-19 - විකිපීඩියා
2020). Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): situation report, 46" (PDF). Retrieved 16 March 2020.. ... World Health Organization (March 2020). "Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): situation report, 47". World Health Organization ...
Parliament of Canada
... in such situations, a junior Member of Parliament who holds a safe seat will resign to allow the prime minister to run for that ... the greatest differences stemming from situations unique to Canada, such as the impermanent nature of the monarch's residency ...
In most situations the average weight of a population will drop substantially. Expecting mothers are affected even more by ... Among the world's roughly 200 nations, only Somalia showed no decrease in the under-5 mortality rate over the past two decades. ... It is not to be said that vital registry systems are not an accurate representation of a region's socio-economic situation, but ... There are circumstances where a number of developing countries to breed a culture where situations of infant mortality such as ...
Another school of thought contends that these cattle originated from the Horn of Africa, present-day Ethiopia and Somalia, and ... The Moroccans invaded the western Sahel adding to an anarchical situation. Food production plummeted, and during this periods ... famine plagued the region, negatively affecting the political situation and increasing the trigger for militant control of the ...
Somalia - Situation report March 2020 : FAO in Emergencies
Somalia - Situation report March 2020. Tags: SOMALIA, EASTERN AFRICA, HORN OF AFRICA, SITUATION REPORT, FLOODS, DESERT LOCUST ... Six out of eight rainy seasons have been poor in Somalia since 2016, including late and erratic rains during the 2019 Gu season ... Abundant rain and cyclone Pawan in December created favourable conditions for desert locust to reproduce across Somalia. ... April-June), which produced the lowest Gu cereal harvest since 2011 in Somalia. ...
UNICEF Somalia - Response in Emergencies - Humanitarian Situation Reports
The Humanitarian Situation Reports provide concise operational documents to support the coordination of humanitarian response. ... The Humanitarian Situation Reports provide concise operational documents to support the coordination of humanitarian response. ... Conflict, insecurity, drought and famine have defined Somalia throughout more than two decades. Currently, about a third of the ... Rates of acute malnutrition illustrate an almost unimaginable situation: 30 per cent of children under 5 are acutely ...
Somalia famine ends, but situation still dire : FAO in Emergencies
The United Nations declared an end to famine conditions in Somalia today, but warned that with recurrent droughts in the Horn ... Somalia famine ends, but situation still dire. Tags: SOMALIA, CRISIS IN THE HORN OF AFRICA, EASTERN AFRICA, HORN OF AFRICA, ... Somalia , FAO and Somalia step up locust fight as hatching and hopper band formation continues in central area 20/11/2020 ... José Graziano da Silvas visit to Dollow, Somalia. "Long-awaited rains coupled with substantial agricultural inputs and the ...
Somalia - April 2019 Situation Report | World Vision International
Mild to moderate drought conditions are imminent in many parts of Somalia due to the 2018 insufficient Deyr rains and delayed ... Overall situation: Mild to moderate drought conditions are imminent in many parts of Somalia due to the 2018 insufficient Deyr ... Real progress has been made in Somalia, but failure to address conflict drivers at all levels risks undermining further ...
Bleakest malnutrition situation in Somalia in years | WFP | United Nations World Food Programme - Fighting Hunger Worldwide
Somalia Country Representatives Zlatan Milisic of WFP and Christian Balslev-Olesen of UNICEF said this alarming situation was ... Bleakest malnutrition situation in Somalia in years. Published on 16 June 2006 ... Somalias plight was also slipping out of sight, he said, with the start of the rains in April leading some people outside the ... In southern Somalia, five surveys since January found that one fifth of children under five were so malnourished they needed ...
WHO EMRO | Monthly situation report | Somalia
WHO_Somalia_Emergency_Response_Update_Issue_No._2_March_2018.pdf. WHO_Somalia_Emergency_Response_Update_no._9_30_November_2017. ... WHO_Somalia_Emergency_Response_Update_Issue_No._2_March_2018.pdf. ... WHO_Somalia_Emergency_Response_Update_Issue_no._8_31_October_2017.pdf. ... WHO_Somalia_Emergency_Response_Update_Issue_no._7_30_September_2017.pdf. ...
BRIEFING SECURITY COUNCIL, HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR REFUGEES SAYS SITUATIONS IN IRAQ, SOMALIA KEY TO RISING NUMBERS OF DISPLACED...
BRIEFING SECURITY COUNCIL, HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR REFUGEES SAYS SITUATIONS. IN IRAQ, SOMALIA KEY TO RISING NUMBERS OF DISPLACED ... BRIEFING SECURITY COUNCIL, HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR REFUGEES SAYS SITUATIONS IN IRAQ, SOMALIA KEY TO RISING NUMBERS OF DISPLACED ... BRIEFING SECURITY COUNCIL, HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR REFUGEES SAYS SITUATIONS IN IRAQ, SOMALIA KEY TO RISING NUMBERS OF DISPLACED ... BRIEFING SECURITY COUNCIL, HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR REFUGEES SAYS SITUATIONS IN IRAQ, SOMALIA KEY TO RISING NUMBERS OF DISPLACED ...
Situation Report for Acute Watery Diarrhea/Cholera, Epidemiological Week 4 (23 - 29 January 2017) - Somalia | ReliefWeb
English Situation Report on Somalia about Coordination, Health, Drought, Epidemic and more; published on 29 Jan 2017 by Health ... Somalia Situation Report for Acute Watery Diarrhea/Cholera, Epidemiological Week 4 (23 - 29 January 2017). Format. Situation ... Somalia 2019 Drought Impact Response Plan (DIRP). Format. Appeal. Sources. *Govt. Somalia ... Somalia: 2019 Drought Response Plan. Format. Appeal. Source. *OCHA. Posted. 20 May 2019. Originally published. 20 May 2019. ...
IPC Map: Somalia Acute Food Insecurity Situation Overview - Rural and Urban Populations (3rd February 2012) | FSNAU
Somalia (FSNAU) seeks to provide evidence-based analysis of Somali food, nutrition and livelihood security to enable both short ... IPC Map: Somalia Acute Food Insecurity Situation Overview - Rural and Urban Populations (3rd February 2012). ... Food Security and Nutrition Analysis Unit (FSNAU) - Somalia. FAO Somalia, Ngecha Road, P.O. Box. 30470-00100, Nairobi, Kenya. ... Somalia 2019 Post Gu FSNAU FEWS-NET-Technical-Release (Somali Language Version) ...
Situation Report for Acute Watery Diarrhea/Cholera, Epidemiological Week 7 (13 - 19 February 2017) - Somalia | ReliefWeb
English Situation Report on Somalia about Health, Water Sanitation Hygiene and Epidemic; published on 19 Feb 2017 by Govt. ... Somalia + 1 more Somalia - Complex Emergency Fact Sheet #2, Fiscal Year (FY) 2021 (April 28, 2021). Format. Situation Report. ... Somalia Situation Report for Acute Watery Diarrhea/Cholera, Epidemiological Week 7 (13 - 19 February 2017). Format. Situation ... Somalia + 22 more WHO EMRO Weekly Epidemiological Monitor: Volume 14; Issue no 15; 11 April 2021. Format. Situation Report. ...
Statement by His Excellency Mr. Mohamed Siad Doualeh before the Security Council on the Situation in Somalia and Eritrea |...
Permanent Representative of the Republic of Djibouti to the United Nations Before the Security Council On the Situation in ... Mohamed Siad Doualeh before the Security Council on the Situation in Somalia and Eritrea. *Facebook ... on Somalia, we share the Chairs assessment that Al-Shabaab continues to pose a serious threat to peace and security in Somalia ... On the Prisoners of War: Eritrea should be urged to clarify the situation of the thirteen (13) remaining Djibouti Prisoners of ...
Somalia: Monitoring the situation of children and women: Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey 2006 - Reproductive Health Supplies...
Somalia: Monitoring the situation of children and women: Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey 2006. Publication date: 2006 ... S O M A L I A M I C S 2 0 0 6 R E P O R T xä S O M A L I A M I C S 2 0 0 6 R E P O R T Hygiene In Somalia UNICEF has been ... To provide up-to-date information for assessing the situation of children and women in u� Somalia. To furnish data needed for ... The survey provides valuable information on the situation of children and women in Somalia and was based, in large part, on the ...
Somalia hunger crisis : drought causing food & water shortage | ICRC
Somalia is plagued by hunger. Conflict and drought have led to food shortages in many parts of the country. See what we are ... Somalias humanitarian situation. Somalia is currently facing water scarcity as a result of successive droughts. The country ... Somalia is experiencing one of the worst humanitarian crises in the world today and will continue to suffer from water and food ... Somalia: Decline in primary health care visits and childhood vaccinations during COVID-19 ...
Somalia - Food Security Outlook Update: Thu, 2015-05-28 | Famine Early Warning Systems Network
While trade between Somalia and Ethiopia increased, cross-border trade between Kenya and Somalia decreased from March to April. ... For example, cereal exports from Somalia to Kenya at Doblei declined from 1,106 metric tons (MT) in March to 639 MT in April, a ... Along the Kenya-Somalia border, increased border security, increased enforcement of tariffs and import requirements, and an ...
Norway to Provide Bridging Loan to Somalia | Africanews
The Government has proposed that Norway should provide a short-term bridging loan of NOK 3.135 billion to Somalia in 2020 to ... Following several decades of civil war, the situation in Somalia has stabilised in the last few years. The authorities have ... Somalias debt arrears to Norway amount to NOK 16 million. If Somalia receives debt treatment in the Paris Club under the HIPC ... This means that Somalia just needs one more donor country to cover its debt to the IMF. When these three loans are in place, ...
Update No. 98/02 on ICRC activities in Somalia - ICRC
SITUATION Geophysical conditions have improved considerably over the last month in many parts of flood-affected Somalia; only ... 98/02 on ICRC activities in Somalia. 06-04-1998 Operational Update Following a difficult four months where floods threatened to ... The ICRC has taken a lead role in the flood-relief operation because of the particular security context in Somalia. All ... in southern Somalia. In spite of some damage caused by insects, the harvest prospects are good; the main risk is that the Gu ...
WFP needs US$22 million to secure food for 1.2 million in Somalia | WFP | United Nations World Food Programme - Fighting Hunger...
Worsening situation FSAU found that the total number of people in need of humanitarian assistance in Somalia had increased ... WFP Somalia requires $22.4 million to buy 17,000 metric tons of food, and to refund internal loans of 14,000 metric tons. ... WFP has increased the number of people it aims to feed in Somalia this year to 1.2 million and appealed for urgent ... WFP has increased the number of people it aims to feed in Somalia this year to 1.2 million and appealed for urgent ...
1.4M children in Somalia to suffer acute malnutrition in 2017, UNICEF says - ABC News
Some 1.4 million children in drought-stricken Somalia currently are or are projected be acutely malnourished this year, ... If the situation in Somalia escalates into a full-blown famine, it would be the nations third famine in a quarter of a century ... Donors have also stepped up to help, hoping to avoid a situation like Somalias 2011 famine, in which over 250,000 people died ... The hunger situation could tip into famine if the April to June rains fail or if peoples ability to buy food declines. Lack of ...
Reestablishment of a Permanent Diplomatic Presence in Somalia | Africanews
Coronavirus - Nigeria: COVID-19 Situation Report for Nigeria (12th July 2020) Africa Women Innovation and Entrepreneurship ... the United States reestablished a permanent diplomatic presence in Somalia. This historic event reflects Somalias progress in ... Coronavirus - Nigeria: COVID-19 Situation Report for Nigeria (12th July 2020) 5 minutes ago ... Coronavirus - Nigeria: COVID-19 Situation Report for Nigeria (12th July 2020) 5 minutes ago ...
Thinking Outside the Compound: Turkey's Approach to Peacebuilding in Somalia | SpringerLink
Turkeys engagement in Somalia is one of the most visible examples of a rising powers approach to a conflict-affected country ... It is clear that the situation in Somalia is extremely complex and fragile. There are many latent issues that are not easily ... Other Actors in Somalia. There are a range of actors and countries engaged in Somalia. These include neighbors, donors, as well ... In the crowded donor environment and the fragile security situation in Somalia, the level of coordination and cooperation ...
Can Ethiopia's railway bring peace to Somalia? - BBC News
This could be a win-win situation.. image copyrightGetty Images. image captionThe railway is expected to bring economic growth ... Somalia has several ports, and the potential for many more. It is possible to envisage rail lines linking Ethiopia and the ... Somalia has the longest coastline in Africa, and has rich fish stocks. But Somalis are not keen on eating fish. ... But the territory is relatively stable, and, unlike in conflict-ridden southern and central Somalia, a railway line is unlikely ...
Appendix A: Recent History: SOMALIA - OPERATIONS OTHER THAN WAR
Internally, Somalias military situation continued to worsen. Although individual reports from the war zones continued to be ... Under Siad, Somalia began building up its military. Since its rival Ethiopia was a close ally of the United States, Somalia ... Somalia expelled its Soviet advisors, and in 1977, launched open attacks in the Ogaden region of Ethiopia, claimed by Somalia. ... Somalia leaders claimed that U.S. promises of aid had not been kept. Meanwhile, Somalia continued to actively support the ...
Estonia Opens Diplomatic Relations with Somalia | News | ERR
Minister of Foreign Affairs Urmas Paet and Deputy Prime Minister of Somalia Abdiweli Mohamed Ali formally established ... Luik discusses situation in North Africa with President of Mali Moscow: Estonia refused Russian deputy prime ministers plane ... Minister of Foreign Affairs Urmas Paet and Deputy Prime Minister of Somalia Abdiweli Mohamed Ali formally established ... The existence of diplomatic relations allows for direct communication with Somalias government and for the full participation ...
Population Movements | Somali | Refugee Health Profiles | Immigrant and Refugee Health | CDC
Horn of Africa Somalia Situation. Available from: https://data2.unhcr.org/en/situations/hornExternal. . ... Somalia is considered a globalized nation, with more than 1 million Somalis currently living outside the country. Somalis are ... Resettlement of refugees from Somalia first began in 1990. The number of Somali refugee arrivals nearly tripled between 2011 ... Sheikh H, Healy S. Somalias Missing Million: The Somali Diaspora and its Role in Development. United Nations Development ...
UNFPA Somalia | UNFPA Somalia Weekly Situation Report #010 - 18th to 24th May, 2017
Home Publications UNFPA Somalia Weekly Situation Report #010 - 18th to 24th May, 2017 UNFPA Somalia Weekly Situation Report # ... UNFPA Somalia Situation Report #013 - 17th September to 6th October 2017 The drought situation continues to pose a threat to ... UNFPA Somalia Newsletter - August 2017 UNFPA Somalia Newsletter for August 2017 covers different stories on the interventions ... Somalia already has one of the highest maternal mortality ratios in the world; one out of every 22 women is likely to die due ...
Somalia - Food Security Outlook: Fri, 2019-06-28 to Fri, 2020-01-31 | Famine Early Warning Systems Network
Current Situation. The delayed and poor start of the 2019 Gu (April-June) rains resulted in severe to exceptional drought ... According to the Somalia Food Security Cluster, planned humanitarian food assistance would reach 1.9 million people or 15 ... Until early May, poor Gu rainfall in upper river catchments of the Ethiopian highlands and in river basins in Somalia caused ... Agropastoral areas in south-central Somalia. Above-average October-December Deyr rainfall in the October-January projection ...
UNICEF Eastern and Southern Africa - Media Centre - Somalia, 15 March 2017: Cholera vaccination campaign begins
"Cholera is a major health issue in Somalia. The current drought has worsened the situation for many. Therefore were very glad ... 8 Jun 2018: Geneva Palais briefing note on the situation of children in Somalia ... "The people of Somalia are going through unimaginable suffering. After years of conflict, a severe drought has brought the ... Steven Lauwerier, UNICEF Somalia Representative, said:. "UNICEF welcomes GAVI support for this vaccination campaign that comes ...
MogadishuSomali20192017DroughtAfricaSomalia'sSomalisAMISOMRefugeesNairobiHumanitarian assistanceCrisis2018OutbreakSteven LauwerierEthiopiaKenya and Somalia1991ConflictPeoplePopulationsShabelleFamine in SomaliaUganda2016Insecurity1993Country'sCountryRainsFloodsMalariaJournalistsReportAcute malnutritionSusannah PriceAfrican Union forces in SomaliaRepresentative1992SomalilandEthiopianDiplomatic2002Decades1,000BeledweyneICRCTroopsDonorsSecurity situation
- A newly displaced Somali mother Sahra Muse, 32, comforts her malnourished child Ibrahim Ali, 7, in their makeshift shelter at a camp in the Garasbaley area on the outskirts of Mogadishu, Somalia, on March 28, 2017. (go.com)
- On December 2, for the first time since the closure of the U.S. Embassy in Mogadishu on January 5, 1991, the United States reestablished a permanent diplomatic presence in Somalia. (africanews.com)
- This historic event reflects Somalia's progress in recent years and is another step forward in formalizing U.S. diplomatic engagement in Mogadishu since recognizing the Federal Government of Somalia in 2013. (africanews.com)
- This approach is in contrast to other "traditional donors" in Somalia who are often accused of being overly bureaucratic, slow, and isolated, either bunkered in the airport in Mogadishu or providing aid remotely from other neighboring countries. (springer.com)
- The same month, the Federal Government of Somalia was formed and a period of reconstruction began in Mogadishu. (wikipedia.org)
- MOGADISHU: Somalia protested formally to Kenya, the foreign ministry in Mogadishu said Monday, after Nairobi referred to the self-proclaimed Republic of Somaliland as a country. (arabnews.com)
- The Ethiopian military forces have been very disciplined and when we are leaving Mogadishu and Baidoa the people who have been working with us, the people of Mogadishu, Baidoa and the different places in Somalia have expressed their goodwill toward the army. (voanews.com)
- In Somalia, three VDPV2s were isolated from environmental samples collected 4 and 11 January 2018, from Hamarweyn district in Banadir province (Mogadishu). (polioeradication.org)
- In Somalia, a circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type 3 (cVDPV3) has been confirmed, following isolation of this virus from four environmental samples collected between 8-22 March, from two environmental sites in Waberi district, Banadir province (Mogadishu). (polioeradication.org)
- Mohamud was born and raised in Baidoa, a city in the south-central Bay region of Somalia, 250 km from Somalia's capital city Mogadishu. (ilo.org)
- African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) peacekeepers from Burundi patrol after fighting between insurgents and government soldiers on the outskirts of Mogadishu on Tuesday, May 22. (csmonitor.com)
- Following the tragic killings of our colleagues Philippe Havet and Dr. Karel Keiluhu in Mogadishu, Somalia, on the 29th of December 2011, the medical humanitarian organization Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) sees itself forced to end all activities in the Hodan district of the capital, including the closure of two separate 120-bed medical facilities for the treatment of malnutrition, measles and the treatment of cholera. (msf.ie)
- Mogadishu, Somalia (CNN) -- The Somali president issued an urgent appeal for international aid as his drought-stricken country faces a famine that has left half of the population in dire need. (cnn.com)
- The Islamist insurgents with affiliations with al-Qaeda control large portions of Mogadishu and parts of southern and central Somalia. (cnn.com)
- CNN's Moni Basu contributed to this report from Atlanta, and journalist Jane Ferguson from Mogadishu, Somalia. (cnn.com)
- Mogadishu - The internet has been down in Somalia since June 24, when an anchor from a Swiss-owned ship, MSC Alice, cut the single fibre cable that links Somalia to the rest of the world. (hiiraan.com)
- Transparency International has ranked Somalia as the most corrupt country for ten years running, and Ahmed Ibrahim, a Mogadishu-based co-founder is insistent that sharing proof of donations productively used is of the utmost importance to the diaspora donors. (hiiraan.com)
- The International Rescue Committee (IRC) conducted a prospective cohort study to test an adapted protocol for treating severe acute malnutrition (SAM) as outpatients in the outpatient therapeutic programme (OTP) of Karaan Clinic, Mogadishu, Benadir district, Somalia, with the aim of improving continuity of care for severe acute malnutrition (SAM) children. (ennonline.net)
- MOGADISHU, Somalia: At least 11 people, including women and children, died over the last two days and more than 30 people were also infected after a cholera outbreak hit villages in central Somalia, pushing the death toll just over 700. (thepeninsulaqatar.com)
- As this report shows, some AMISOM soldiers, deployed to Somalia since 2007 to help restore stability in the war-torn capital, Mogadishu, have abused their positions of power to prey on the city's most vulnerable women and girls. (hrw.org)
- Mogadishu is a stark reminder of how much worse the situation in Kandahar could get. (foreignpolicy.com)
- Somali boxer Kashmir Abdirahim Abdalla (R), 18-years-old, fights during a match on a ring installed at Wish Stadium in Mogadishu, Somalia. (news24.com)
- Somalia: Al-Shabab militants fired seven mortars into the UN compound in Mogadishu, destroying it and wounding the staff. (livingcosmos.com)
- The steps they have lately been taking, with the support of the African Union peacekeeping forces, in terms of collecting all kinds of weapons and destroying them - and, thus, pacifying the capital city (Mogadishu) which currently experiences the worst insecurity situation in the country - are very commendable and appropriate steps. (hiiraan.com)
- In light of the gravity and viciousness of the threat, we support the request by the Head of the African Union Mission in Somalia for a surge in troops to enable AMISOM forces and the Somali National Army to decisively degrade and defeat Al-Shabaab. (un.int)
- The official languages of Somalia are Somali and Arabic. (wikipedia.org)
- In the colonial patrician of Africa, Somali peoples were divided: the French occupied what is now Djibouti, the British occupied what is now northern Somalia (British Somaliland), Italy took the east and south, and other territories where Somali-speakers lived became part of Kenya and Ethiopia. (globalsecurity.org)
- Meanwhile, Somalia continued to actively support the Western Somali Liberation Front inside the Ogaden, while insisting all its regular forces had withdrawn. (globalsecurity.org)
- Establishing diplomatic relations with Somalia is connected to Estonia's participation in Atalanta, the European Union military operation for protecting ships in the vicinity of the Somali coast from pirate attacks," Paet explained. (err.ee)
- Things started to change in 2013 when he heard from other refugees that a project had started in Baidoa to help Somali refugees returning to Somalia to find durable solution to resettle. (ilo.org)
- MSF strongly reiterates its call to all parties, the leadership and the people of Somalia to facilitate the safe release of Montserrat Serra and Blanca Thiebaut, MSF aid workers who were abducted in Dadaab refugee camp in Kenya on 13 October 2011 while carrying out emergency assistance for the Somali population. (msf.ie)
- The Somali state has essentially ceased to exist, replaced by proxy forces in an unsteady and chaotic situation. (foreignpolicy.com)
- The partnership, which is borne out of a policy dialogue and a high-level mission by Sweden to Somalia in 2020, aims to create an independent Somali Public Health authority and to modernize the country's health information management system. (who.int)
- The activities of SOS Children's Villages International in Somalia started off in 1983 when an agreement was signed with the former Somali government. (soschildrensvillages.org.uk)
- In June 2013, a Somali interpreter working at the headquarters of the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) approached 17-year-old Aziza D.-not her real name-and asked her to "befriend" a Ugandan soldier. (hrw.org)
- The Islamic movement in Somalia thus emerged from the grassroots of Somali society, to serve the needs of ordinary people, in a political and institutional vacuum. (mediamonitors.net)
- HR/VP) and the Somali President that Somalia and the EU will host a Conference in Brussels that will focus on medium- and long-term priorities and needs of Somalia and its people. (wordpress.com)
- Since 2010, the EU Training Mission (EUTM) Somalia has successfully trained nearly 3,000 Somali soldiers, which now constitute the core of the Somali National Armed Forces. (wordpress.com)
- The mission will provide training as well as advice to help building effective, well-integrated, selfsustainable and accountable Somali National Armed Forces in continued close cooperation with the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM), Uganda and the US and other partners. (wordpress.com)
- AMISOM can be expected to continue to play a vital role in bringing security to Somalia while the capacity of Somali security forces develops. (wordpress.com)
-  Or as the renowned British scholar on Somali affairs, Prof. I. M. Lewis, put it while describing how Somalia has retrogressed in the past 20 years or so with the total destruction of all its government institutions: "The political geography of the Somali hinterland , consequently, closely resembled that reported by European explorers in the 19th century with spears replaced by Kalashnikovs and bazukas. (hiiraan.com)
- Six out of eight rainy seasons have been poor in Somalia since 2016, including late and erratic rains during the 2019 Gu season (April-June), which produced the lowest Gu cereal harvest since 2011 in Somalia. (fao.org)
- This collaboration between Sweden and WHO in Somalia was inspired by WHO's 2019-2013 General Programme of Work to deliver impact at the country level. (who.int)
- Retrieved on September 19, 2019 from https://www.news-medical.net/health/Rift-Valley-Fever-Outbreak-in-Kenya-and-Somalia.aspx. (news-medical.net)
- A malnourished child is processed by an aid worker for a UNICEF, funded health program catering to children displaced by drought, at a facility in Baidoa town, the capital of Bay region of south-western Somalia where the spread of cholera has claimed tens of lives of IDP's compounding the impact of drought, on March 15, 2017. (go.com)
- An acute malnourished child is measured by the arm perimeter by a UNICEF staff inside the IDP camp in Doolow, in Somalia, on March 20, 2017. (go.com)
- On February 8, 2017, Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed (Farmajo) was elected as the ninth president of the Federal Republic of Somalia. (springer.com)
- GENEVA, 15 March 2017 - A major vaccination campaign to halt the spread of cholera begins in three drought-ravaged regions of Somalia today. (unicef.org)
- UNFPA Somalia Situation Report #013 - 17th September to 6th October 2017 The drought situation continues to pose a threat to women during pregnancy or delivery. (unfpa.org)
- UNFPA Somalia Newsletter - August 2017 UNFPA Somalia Newsletter for August 2017 covers different stories on the interventions we. (unfpa.org)
- Since detection of the initial isolates in 2017, outbreak response campaigns in line with internationally-agreed guidelines have been implemented, consisting of three large-scale immunization activities (SIAs) in Banadir, Lower Shabelle and Middle Shabelle provinces in Somalia, with further campaigns planned for April and May. (polioeradication.org)
- Conflict, insecurity, drought and famine have defined Somalia throughout more than two decades. (unicef.org)
- Mild to moderate drought conditions are imminent in many parts of Somalia due to the 2018 insufficient Deyr rains and delayed onset of Gu rains. (wvi.org)
- Recent outbreaks of fighting and the worst drought in a decade have pushed many people in Somalia to their limit, creating the bleakest malnutrition situation in years, WFP and the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) have warned. (wfp.org)
- Somalia Country Representatives Zlatan Milisic of WFP and Christian Balslev-Olesen of UNICEF said this alarming situation was compounded by the difficulty in reaching the 1.7 million people in Somalia who needed help in the wake of last season's devastating drought. (wfp.org)
- Balslev-Olesen said the rising malnutrition rates showed clearly the effects of the drought that hit Somalia and the Horn of Africa when last year's rains failed - made worse in many areas of Somalia because fighting and rampant insecurity blocked access with desperately needed assistance. (wfp.org)
- Milisic said WFP has so far in 2006 delivered 32,000 metric tons of food assistance to 1.15 million people in southern Somalia - the area worst affected by the drought - as well as a further 4 metric tons to people in northern areas. (wfp.org)
- FSAU found that the total number of people in need of humanitarian assistance in Somalia had increased since March from 1 million to 1.5 million because of the worsening situation in the Shabelle regions and despite some improvement in drought- and flood-affected regions. (wfp.org)
- The number of children in drought -stricken Somalia expected to suffer from acute malnutrition has surged by 50 percent since the beginning of this year, according to the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF). (go.com)
- The combination of drought, disease, and displacement are deadly for children, and we need to do far more -- and faster -- to save lives," Steven Lauwerier, UNICEF's representative in Somalia, said in a statement on Tuesday. (go.com)
- Since November, some 615,000 people -- mostly women and children -- have been forced to flee their homes in Somalia due to a persistent drought, which the county has declared a national disaster. (go.com)
- The current drought has worsened the situation for many. (unicef.org)
- The current severe drought in Somalia has forced communities to use contaminated water, helping cholera to spread. (unicef.org)
- The drought situation continues to pause a threat to women during pregnancy or delivery. (unfpa.org)
- The crisis in Somalia -- a failing state mired in internal conflict and suffering the worst drought in half a century -- has been escalating steadily for months as aid agencies have pleaded for the international community to intervene. (cnn.com)
- Somalia's drought has led to a lack of clean water, and before today's new toll, cholera had killed about 690 people this year, the largest outbreak of cholera Somalia has seen in the last five years, according to the WHO. (thepeninsulaqatar.com)
- Drought in Somalia led to the destruction of crops and livestock, leaving more than 3.3 million hungry every day. (thepeninsulaqatar.com)
- She was referring to victims of the worst drought to hit Somalia in more than half-a-century. (unhcr.org)
- Somalia is suffering its worst drought in years and failed rains are already devastating half a million lives, international aid agency Oxfam warned today. (oxfam.org)
- FAO's new Director-General prioritizes Horn of Africa - The United Nations declared an end to famine conditions in Somalia today, but warned that with recurrent droughts in the Horn of Africa hunger remains a threat unless long-term measures are taken to restore food security. (fao.org)
- 49 Somalia, officially the Federal Republic of Somalia, is a country in the Horn of Africa. (wikipedia.org)
- The oldest evidence of burial customs in the Horn of Africa comes from cemeteries in Somalia dating back to the 4th millennium BCE. (wikipedia.org)
- Circulation of vaccine-derived poliovirus type 2 (cVDPV2) has been confirmed in the Horn of Africa, with the same strain confirmed in Kenya and Somalia. (polioeradication.org)
- Pirates are active in the waters off the Horn of Africa, especially in the international waters near Somalia. (state.gov)
- Between October and December 2006, an unusually heavy rainfall was recorded in eastern Africa, which resulted in floods across several regions of Kenya, Somalia and the United Republic of Tanzania. (news-medical.net)
- Presents a comparison on the situation of refugees in the Balkan Region and in Africa. (ebscohost.com)
- BBC NEWS AFRICA (2014) Somalia Profile: Timeline. (prezi.com)
- The Government has proposed that Norway should provide a short-term bridging loan of NOK 3.135 billion to Somalia in 2020 to clear Somalia's debt arrears to the World Bank's International Development Association. (africanews.com)
- We consider this tweet an affront to Somalia's sovereignty, unity and territorial integrity as well as harmful to the relationship between Somalia and Kenya," the foreign ministry said in a statement. (arabnews.com)
- But unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, Somalia's plight, and the background to it, is far less known than the situations of Muslim communities suffering similarly elsewhere. (mediamonitors.net)
- Although many people believe that giving foreign aid to other countries in the world drains American pockets, the human and political cost of situations like Somalia's require concern, as well as cash. (gherkinstomatoes.com)
- As a result of Somalia's 16-year devastating civil war, and since the country has not yet witnessed any meaningful political stability or economic development, the unemployment situation in Somalia is especially heart-wrenching. (hiiraan.com)
- Let us now present some basic facts and figures on Somalia's economic situation. (hiiraan.com)
- Donors were extremely generous toward the people of Somalia in this tough year, and I appeal for that spirit to continue to help end the suffering of the growing number of weakest Somalis, mainly women and children. (wfp.org)
- Somalia has maintained an informal economy mainly based on livestock, remittances from Somalis working abroad, and telecommunications. (wikipedia.org)
- Somalia is considered a globalized nation, with more than 1 million Somalis currently living outside the country. (cdc.gov)
- Nearly two-thirds of all Somalis living outside Somalia live in neighboring countries, namely Kenya, Ethiopia, Djibouti, and Yemen . (cdc.gov)
- He said that task was left to Somalis to take advantage of, but he said their political situation was not conducive to form an all-inclusive government. (voanews.com)
- Mohamud Mohamed is one among the many Somalis who had to flee the country because of the internal conflict that devastated Somalia. (ilo.org)
- We request for the international community to assist the Somalis, those within Somalia and at the borders. (cnn.com)
- A starting point for security sector policy in Somalia should be to understand the ways in which Somalis themselves mediate conﬂict, negotiate ceaseﬁres and manage security. (c-r.org)
- On top of that, Al-Shabaab continues to launch attacks on the government and the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM), upon which the government is dependent upon for its existence. (springer.com)
- The Afgoye corridor holds one of the biggest concentrations of internally displaced people in the world," said Wafula Wamunyinyi, who heads the AU peacekeeping mission in Somalia, known as AMISOM . (csmonitor.com)
-  The group describes itself as waging jihad against "enemies of Islam", and is engaged in combat against the Federal Government of Somalia and the African Union Mission to Somalia (AMISOM). (wikipedia.org)
- He said the increase in the number of refugees under the mandate of his Office -- not including the 4.6 million Palestinian refugees under the mandate of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) -- had increased primarily due to the situations in Iraq and Somalia. (un.org)
- In Dadaab Kenya, UN Deputy High Commissioner for Refugees, Wendy Chamberlin, said camps there accounted for 34,000 refugees fleeing the fighting and floods in Somalia, but that number is expected to grow to 80,000 if fighting continues. (wikipedia.org)
- Resettlement of refugees from Somalia first began in 1990. (cdc.gov)
- Last October, UNHCR announced that 5,000 refugees had headed home to Somalia since December 2014 from the mammoth Dadaab refugee camp in northern Kenya, home to about 350,000 people. (ilo.org)
- Mohamed benefitted from an ILO project that helps former refugees resettling in Somalia to start a new life, by providing them with the necessary skills to set up a business. (ilo.org)
- Summary of the ACC/SCN Refugee chapter by Jane Wallace The quarterly 'Reports on the Nutrition Situation of Refugees and Displaced Populations' (RNIS) are compiled and. (ennonline.net)
- The nutritional situation of the refugees remaining in the camps in Albania and Macedonia is reported to be satisfactory and stable. (nzdl.org)
- Aid agencies active in northern Kenya reported increasing numbers of Smoali refugees crossing the border, trying to escape from an intensifying famine in Somalia, and humanitarian organizations warned that up to 750,000 people could die by the end of the year, far more even than died in the famines of the 1990s. (mediamonitors.net)
- This article discusses the mortality among refugees from Somalia at refugee camps in Dadaab, Kenya, from July to August 2011. (ebscohost.com)
- Long-awaited rains coupled with substantial agricultural inputs and the humanitarian response deployed in the last six months are the main reasons for this improvement," FAO's new Director-General José Graziano da Silva told a press conference in Nairobi after visiting southern Somalia. (fao.org)
- In Kenya, one cVDPV2 was isolated from an environmental sample collected on 21 March 2018 from Nairobi, linked to the cVDPV2 previously confirmed in Somalia. (polioeradication.org)
- If we don't act now, famine will spread to all eight regions of southern Somalia within two months, due to poor harvests and infectious disease outbreaks,' Mark Bowden, the U.N. humanitarian coordinator for Somalia, told reporters from Nairobi, Kenya. (cnn.com)
- Even then, we were hampered by the massive needs of the exiled community in Nairobi and Hassan's extreme medical situation. (cpj.org)
- According to a new report by the FAO-managed Food Security and Nutrition Analysis Unit (FSNAU) and USAID's Famine Early Warning System Network (FEWS NET), the number of people in need of emergency humanitarian assistance in Somalia has dropped from 4 million to 2.34 million, 31 percent of the population. (fao.org)
- Since its high-profile intervention during the height of the famine in 2011, Turkey has elevated its level of engagement with Somalia and has committed to robust humanitarian assistance, development aid, and civilian capacity to resuscitate the fragile state. (springer.com)
- According to Oxfam International, 2.9 million people in Somalia face acute food insecurity at "crisis" and "emergency" levels. (go.com)
- Malnutrition levels were already high before the current crisis, but now the situation has worsened and many severely acute malnourished children are arriving for consultations. (doctorswithoutborders.org)
- He said nearly half the people in Somalia are in crisis and roughly $300 million in aid is needed in the next two months. (cnn.com)
- Men at work on gulley control in CFW programme in Somalia In a food crisis, distributing cash in a targeted manner can often meet people's immediate needs more quickly and. (ennonline.net)
- From the civil wars in Somalia and Bosnia to the most recent crisis in Zaire, the international aid agencies, aided by the real time media coverage, have strongly and consistently called for military intervention. (globalsecurity.org)
- 2. This crisis represents the most serious food insecurity situation in the world today, in terms of both scale and severity. (gherkinstomatoes.com)
- More than two million people in Somalia were already living in crisis. (oxfam.org)
- The global acute malnutrition (GAM) prevalence between August and October 2018 is projected to be above 10 percent in all regions of Somalia except for a few districts in the north west. (unicef.org)
- In September, 6,690 children were enrolled in education services, leading to UNICEF and partners achieving the enrolment of 78,044 children (42 per cent girls) across Somalia in 2018. (unicef.org)
- Somalia has reported a total of 12 cVDPV cases (five type 2, six type 3 and one, coinfection of both type 2 and type 3) in 2018. (polioeradication.org)
- During the outbreak response, the strenuous security situation has repeatedly hampered surveillance and control activities in the affected regions. (news-medical.net)
- Apart from heavy rainfall, other factors were likely responsible for the occurrence of RVF outbreak in Kenya and Somalia, most notably high Aedes mosquito populations, flat topology of the area and water-retaining soil that supports flooding, dense bush cover, and high livestock populations. (news-medical.net)
- UNICEF and partners have treated over 56,000 severely malnourished children so far this year - almost 90 per cent more than the same period in 2016," said Steven Lauwerier, UNICEF Somalia Representative. (unicef.ie)
- Since its rival Ethiopia was a close ally of the United States, Somalia turned to the Soviet Union for aid, and in 1975 permitted the USSR to build a major base at Berbera on the Gulf of Aden. (globalsecurity.org)
- But as Ethiopia turned Marxist after the deposition of Haile Selassie in 1974, Somalia found Moscow increasing its aid to Addis Ababa. (globalsecurity.org)
- Somalia expelled its Soviet advisors, and in 1977, launched open attacks in the Ogaden region of Ethiopia, claimed by Somalia. (globalsecurity.org)
- Ethiopian troops Tuesday handed over security control to the Somalia Federal Transitional Government and a moderate faction of an Islamic militia group as Ethiopia began its much anticipated withdrawal. (voanews.com)
- Three years ago in 2006 Ethiopia said it was going into Somalia to protect the transitional government against Islamic insurgents. (voanews.com)
- Bereket Simon, advisor to Prime Minister Meles Zenawi told VOA Ethiopia achieved most of its objectives for going into Somalia. (voanews.com)
- Aid agencies estimate that 10 million people in Kenya, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Uganda and Somalia are at risk of famine. (cnn.com)
- For this reason, Somalia has for the last decade been victim to covert American military operations, political manipulation and proxy wars -" hot and cold -" conducted by local allies such as Ethiopia and Kenya. (mediamonitors.net)
Kenya and Somalia1
- Ties between Kenya and Somalia have cooled considerably in recent times. (arabnews.com)
- Somaliland declared its independence in 1991 but is not recognized by the international community, which considers it an autonomous region of Somalia. (arabnews.com)
- But it seceded and declared itself independent in 1991 as Somalia plunged into chaos after the fall of autocrat Siad Barre. (arabnews.com)
- MSF has been working in Somalia continuously since 1991 and currently operates 13 projects in the country, including medical activities related to the ongoing emergency, vaccination campaigns, as well as nutritional interventions. (msf.ie)
- Somalia collapsed into civil war in 1991 and since then has endured successive rounds of conflict involving clan-based militias, foreign armies and, latterly, Al-Qaeda affiliated jihadists the Al-Shabaab who stage regular deadly attacks on the capital. (news24.com)
- As there was no legal framework addressing the situation of people displaced internally by persecution or armed conflict, there was a need to discuss seriously the new forms of forced displacement, emerging protection gaps and possible forms of collective response. (un.org)
- Some speakers underlined the importance of humanitarian access, citing the current situation in the Gaza Strip as a prime example of civilians trapped in an armed conflict situation. (un.org)
- Turkey's engagement in Somalia is one of the most visible examples of a rising power's approach to a conflict-affected country. (springer.com)
- Years of conflict and famine in Somalia have increased the vulnerability of women and girls like Aziza D., displacing tens of thousands from their communities, often leaving them without their husbands' or fathers' or clan protection. (hrw.org)
- Since then, numerous initiatives have been launched in the Community and in international forums to facilitate a better linkage and fill obvious gaps in a number of post-conflict situations from Bosnia-Herzegovina to Sierra Leone. (europa.eu)
- Somalia has held its first boxing competition in more than three decades, with young fighters in the conflict-torn nation dreaming of a career in international rings. (news24.com)
- 1. "The EU welcomes the end of the transition in Somalia as a historic opportunity to leave behind two decades of conflict. (wordpress.com)
- Over 600 mt seeds for staple crops, 2,255 kg vegetable seeds and 2,325 mt food were distributed to 51,700 families (some 260,000 people) in southern Somalia. (icrc.org)
- WFP has increased the number of people it aims to feed in Somalia this year to 1.2 million and appealed for urgent contributions of US$22.4 million to avoid a looming break in food supplies. (wfp.org)
- It takes up to four months for food assistance to reach people in Somalia," said Goossens. (wfp.org)
- WFP revised its requirements from its previous target of feeding one million people in the light of an assessment report in August by the UN Food and Agriculture Organization's Food Security Analysis Unit Somalia (FSAU). (wfp.org)
- Ambassador Donald Yamamoto and his staff look forward to working closely with the people and the Federal Government of Somalia to strengthen our already close bilateral relationship in furtherance of these shared goals. (africanews.com)
- The people of Somalia are going through unimaginable suffering. (unicef.org)
- An MSF staff member distributes supplies to people displaced by floods in Beledweyne, central Somalia. (doctorswithoutborders.org)
- People are in such extremely vulnerable situations that it is often an impossible dilemma to decide who has the greatest needs. (doctorswithoutborders.org)
- A major offensive aimed at clearing Somalia 's Al Qaeda -allied Islamist army from the world's largest camp for displaced people began Tuesday, amid fears that civilians could end up in the firing line. (csmonitor.com)
- Their aim, the AU's most senior official in Somalia said, was to "build security" so that the 400,000 people squatting on Islamist-controlled territory outside the city would find it easier to be reached by aid agencies. (csmonitor.com)
- It's true that we need to reach those people, it's a desperate situation there. (csmonitor.com)
- And that is what has happened in southern Somalia, where people have had to make heart-wrenching choices simply to stay alive. (cnn.com)
- The lack of rain, and the unstable political situation which makes the delivery of aid difficult, could result in millions of people being affected. (soschildrensvillages.org.uk)
- More than 100 people have died from famine and diarrhoea in southern Somalia over a two-day period, according to the country's prime minister. (euronews.com)
- In 2011, some 260,000 people starved to death due to famine in Somalia. (euronews.com)
- Somalia has been in the news for such reasons for so long that many people have become desensitised to stories about problems there. (mediamonitors.net)
- We talked about her book and her life as she continues to burn the peace candle 'Keeping Hope Alive' for Somalia and the people of her continent. (saharareporters.com)
- It left countless people dead and forced some 300,000 to flee Somalia last year. (unhcr.org)
- The situation was compounded by the violence that has devastated Somalia for over two decades and continues to displace people. (unhcr.org)
- Altogether it is a very difficult situation because of the number of people arriving each day. (unhcr.org)
- Today, it is in a much worse situation, and the poverty and unemployment of its people have increased enormously. (hiiraan.com)
- Detection and control of emerging infectious diseases postconfl ict situations, populations may have high rates of in confl ict situations are major challenges due to multiple risk illness and mortality due to breakdown of health systems, factors known to enhance emergence and transmission of fl ight of trained staff, failure of existing disease control infectious diseases. (cdc.gov)
- Report on the Nutrition Situation of Refugee and Displaced Populations (UNSSCN, 1999, 78 p.): 15. (nzdl.org)
- In practical terms, this can mean that aid given to implement agricultural reform in order to improve long-term food security may not immediately improve the situation of the populations most in need of help. (europa.eu)
- However, severe flash and riverine floods submerged crops and caused large-scale displacement, mostly along the Shabelle river in central Somalia. (fao.org)
- previous estimates, is the result of a dramatic deterioration in the Lower and Middle Shabelle regions of southern Somalia. (wfp.org)
- The Shabelle regions usually export food to other regions, but this year they cannot feed themselves so the most vulnerable require our help," said WFP Somalia Country Director Peter Goossens. (wfp.org)
- Large-scale supplementary immunization activities (SIAs) have been implemented in Banadir, Lower Shabelle and Middle Shabelle regions, Somalia. (polioeradication.org)
Famine in Somalia3
- During the 2011 famine in Somalia that killed an estimated 260,000 - over half of them young children - the main causes of death among children were diarrhea and measles. (unicef.ie)
- Famine in Somalia: Why are Food Writers Not Talking about the Black Horse? (gherkinstomatoes.com)
- Frankly speaking, it's untenable for those of us who write and read about food not to be discussing the famine in Somalia*, which is getting worse by the day. (gherkinstomatoes.com)
- Somalia and Kenya conducted their last immunization campaigns with trivalent OPV in early 2016, in advance of the trivalent to bivalent OPV switch in April 2016. (polioeradication.org)
- Somalia is experiencing one of the worst humanitarian crises in the world today and will continue to suffer from water and food insecurity. (icrc.org)
- From the time of deployment through April 1993, malaria was diagnosed in 48 personnel who had onset of illness while in Somalia. (cdc.gov)
- At 0.5 per cent, the HIV prevalence rate in Somalia represents one of the country's major health problems. (soschildrensvillages.org.uk)
- Boxing in Somalia stopped after the civil war and it is now reviving with the fact that the country is recovering from the war," said Awil Gelle Ahmed, deputy chairperson of the country's national boxing federation. (news24.com)
- The authorities have implemented a number of important political and economic reforms, but the country is still in a vulnerable situation. (africanews.com)
- Somalia is an important partner country for Norway, and it received NOK 543 million in bilateral aid from Norway last year. (africanews.com)
- Somalia has an estimated population of around 15 million and has been described as Africa's most culturally homogeneous country. (wikipedia.org)
- We have been able to get rid of the immediate and clear dangers that were posed by extremist forces in Somalia before two years, and then we were striving to take the opportunity into account by trying to help Somalia become a stable country. (voanews.com)
- He said there are a lot of political forces in Somalia who are striving to contribute positively to the stability of the country, including efforts by groups he called new forces who he said are striving to expel the Islamist Al-Shabaab militant group from central and southern Somalia. (voanews.com)
- Read our Somalia country page and Kenya country page to see information on surveillance and vaccination campaigns. (polioeradication.org)
- The year 2012 was one of the deadliest on record for journalists in Somalia, with 12 killed across the country, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ). (freedomhouse.org)
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a level 4 Travel Health Notice for Somalia due to COVID-19, indicating a very high level of COVID-19 in the country. (state.gov)
- Somalia is one of the most dangerous countries in the world for journalists, though conditions vary between semiautonomous Puntland and the rest of the country, as well as among different areas within the south-central region itself. (freedomhouse.org)
- Our work in Somalia has been extremely challenging due to the unstable security situation in the country. (soschildrensvillages.org.uk)
- There are significant changes which affect the political and security situation of the country and this competition is part of the changes. (news24.com)
-  As such, if real security, stability, and a modicum of law and order are to be restored to Somalia, whose economy has been almost totally destroyed, the leaders of the Transitional Federal Government (TFG) have to step up to the plate and do their level best to tackle the severe unemployment situation which now prevails in the country. (hiiraan.com)
- The hunger situation could tip into famine if the April to June rains fail or if people's ability to buy food declines. (go.com)
- Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) humanitarian affairs advisor Mohamed Kalil was part of the first emergency team deployed in Beledweyne, Somalia , after heavy rains caused widespread flooding in October . (doctorswithoutborders.org)
- Following a difficult four months where floods threatened to further destabilize the lives and livelihoods of an already vulnerable population, weather patterns in southern Somalia are slowly returning to normal. (icrc.org)
- Most of the confirmed malaria cases in Southern Somalia were reported from Lower Jubba and Bay regions, which accounted for 49% and 32% of all reported cases respectively in Southern Somalia. (flutrackers.com)
- In addition, through late June, malaria was diagnosed in 83 military personnel following their return from Somalia. (cdc.gov)
- This report summarizes the occurrence of malaria in returning personnel and underscores for health-care providers the importance of considering malaria in the diagnostic evaluation of military personnel returning from Somalia and in other persons who have traveled to malarious areas. (cdc.gov)
- Because of the reportedly low frequency of vivax and ovale malaria in Somalia, terminal prophylaxis with primaquine to prevent relapses of vivax or ovale malaria following departure from Somalia had not been recommended for Army personnel. (cdc.gov)
- Editorial Note: Most U.S. military personnel who developed malaria in Somalia or after their return to the United States had been stationed in the southern riverine area of Somalia, where malaria transmission is intense and is characterized by seasonal exacerbations from May through August and during November and December. (cdc.gov)
- P. falciparum is the predominant species of malaria infection among the population and accounts for 94% of malaria cases in Somalia. (cdc.gov)
- Somalia remains one of the most dangerous countries in the world for journalists and other media workers. (freedomhouse.org)
- According to local and international media reports, all three journalists had fled Somalia by year's end. (freedomhouse.org)
- According to the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ), Somalia is ranked number one in the Global Impunity Index, with more than 30 journalists' murders having gone unprosecuted since 2008. (freedomhouse.org)
- In the last year alone, more than 16 journalists have fled Somalia. (cpj.org)
- Avoid sailing near the coast of Somalia and review the Live Piracy Report published by the International Maritime Bureau. (state.gov)
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Somalia. (state.gov)
- This Economic Situation report begins with a discussion of the world economy and then focuses on the United States. (mercatus.org)
- Rates of acute malnutrition illustrate an almost unimaginable situation: 30 per cent of children under 5 are acutely malnourished. (unicef.org)
- They see their whole means of livelihood wiped out," Susannah Price, chief of communication for UNICEF Somalia, told ABC News. (go.com)
African Union forces in Somalia1
- Likewise, we echo the call made by Secretary General Antonio Guterres to provide enhanced logistical support for "under equipped" African Union forces in Somalia, in particular force enablers and multipliers including helicopters. (un.int)
- Uganda's representative pointed out, however, that, although internal displacement was the responsibility of sovereign States, in some situations -- as in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, where the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) was active -- the State was not in a situation to act. (un.org)
- The EU Intelligence and Situation Centre ( EU INTCEN ) is an intelligence body of the External Action Service (EEAS) of the European Union (EU) under the authority of the EU's High Representative . (wikipedia.org)
- The EU INTCEN has its roots in the European Security and Defence Policy of 1999, which put a group of analysts working on open source intelligence under the supervision of the High Representative Javier Solana  in what was then called the Joint Situation Centre. (wikipedia.org)
- Furthermore, we wish to thank Ambassador Kairat Umarov , Chair of the Security Council Committee pursuant to resolutions 751 (1992) and 1907 (2009) concerning Somalia and Eritrea for his 120 day brief to the Security Council. (un.int)
- U.S. military personnel were first deployed to Somalia in late December 1992 as part of Operation Restore Hope. (cdc.gov)
- Formerly a British protectorate, Somaliland merged with former Italian Somaliland in 1960 to create Somalia. (arabnews.com)
- The media environment in Somalia varies significantly from region to region, with different conditions in unstable south-central Somalia, semiautonomous Puntland in the northeast, and the breakaway territory of Somaliland in the northwest. (freedomhouse.org)
- Violent crime, such as kidnapping and murder, is common throughout Somalia, including Puntland and Somaliland. (state.gov)
- Thirteen trucks filled with Ethiopian reinforcements were reported en route to the fighting. (wikipedia.org)
- Simon denied that Ethiopian troops are leaving at a time when critics say Somalia is more destabilized than when Ethiopian troops first went in. (voanews.com)
- Simon also denied as groundless accusations by some that Ethiopian troops have been abusive and heavy-handed during their time in Somalia. (voanews.com)
- Joint Norwegian-Ethiopian Conference on Health and Higher Education * Mareeg.com somalia, World News and Opinion. (mareeg.com)
- We had sent an emergency team of doctors, nutritionists and water and sanitation experts, and I wanted to better understand the situation, help the team to come up with a practical plan to deal with this emergency and negotiate with the Ethiopian government on how to move things forward. (unhcr.org)
- Minister of Foreign Affairs Urmas Paet and Deputy Prime Minister of Somalia Abdiweli Mohamed Ali formally established diplomatic relations between their countries in Istanbul on May 10. (err.ee)
- In 2002, the Joint Situation Centre started to be a forum for exchange of sensitive information between the external intelligence services of France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom. (wikipedia.org)
- Following several decades of civil war, the situation in Somalia has stabilised in the last few years. (africanews.com)
- At 105 deaths per 1,000 live births, Somalia is affected by one of the world's highest infant mortality rates. (soschildrensvillages.org.uk)
- Beledweyne is a big town in central Somalia, with high-rise buildings and vibrant commercial activity. (doctorswithoutborders.org)
- The ICRC has taken a lead role in the flood-relief operation because of the particular security context in Somalia. (icrc.org)
- Wednesday, the humanitarian agency Oxfam blamed international donors for the potentially catastrophic situation at hand. (cnn.com)
- However, the deteriorating security situation continues to hamper control measures in the affected area. (who.int)
- The security situation remains challenging despite political progress in south-central Somalia. (freedomhouse.org)
- The changing security situation makes the work of our organisation extremely challenging. (soschildrensvillages.org.uk)
- Since then, parts of the city have started to come back to life but the security situation remains dangerous. (radionz.co.nz)