Maleness or femaleness as a constituent element or influence contributing to the production of a result. It may be applicable to the cause or effect of a circumstance. It is used with human or animal concepts but should be differentiated from SEX CHARACTERISTICS, anatomical or physiological manifestations of sex, and from SEX DISTRIBUTION, the number of males and females in given circumstances.
A soft, loose-fitting polyurethane sheath, closed at one end, with flexible rings at both ends. The device is inserted into the vagina by compressing the inner ring and pushing it in. Properly positioned, the ring at the closed end covers the cervix, and the sheath lines the walls of the vagina. The outer ring remains outside the vagina, covering the labia. (Med Lett Drugs Ther 1993 Dec 24;35(12):123)
Disorder characterized by recurrent, intense sexually arousing fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors involving cross-dressing in a heterosexual male. The fantasies, urges, or behaviors cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational or other areas of functioning. (from APA, DSM-IV, 1994)
Sexually Transmitted Diseases, Viral
Health Knowledge, Attitudes, Practice
The process of bargaining in order to arrive at an agreement or compromise on a matter of importance to the parties involved. It also applies to the hearing and determination of a case by a third party chosen by the parties in controversy, as well as the interposing of a third party to reconcile the parties in controversy.
A republic in western Africa, south of NIGER and between TOGO and NIGERIA. Its capital is Porto-Novo. It was formerly called Dahomey. In the 17th century it was a kingdom in the southern area of Africa. Coastal footholds were established by the French who deposed the ruler by 1892. It was made a French colony in 1894 and gained independence in 1960. Benin comes from the name of the indigenous inhabitants, the Bini, now more closely linked with southern Nigeria (Benin City, a town there). Bini may be related to the Arabic bani, sons. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p136, 310 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p60)
One of the Indian Ocean Islands off the southeast coast of Africa. Its capital is Antananarivo. It was formerly called the Malagasy Republic. Discovered by the Portuguese in 1500, its history has been tied predominantly to the French, becoming a French protectorate in 1882, a French colony in 1896, and a territory within the French union in 1946. The Malagasy Republic was established in the French Community in 1958 but it achieved independence in 1960. Its name was changed to Madagascar in 1975. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p714)
Agricultural Workers' Diseases
Diseases in persons engaged in cultivating and tilling soil, growing plants, harvesting crops, raising livestock, or otherwise engaged in husbandry and farming. The diseases are not restricted to farmers in the sense of those who perform conventional farm chores: the heading applies also to those engaged in the individual activities named above, as in those only gathering harvest or in those only dusting crops.
Human Rights Abuses
Air Pollutants, Occupational
The science, art, or technology dealing with processes involved in the separation of metals from their ores, the technique of making or compounding the alloys, the techniques of working or heat-treating metals, and the mining of metals. It includes industrial metallurgy as well as metallurgical techniques employed in the preparation and working of metals used in dentistry, with special reference to orthodontic and prosthodontic appliances. (From Jablonski, Dictionary of Dentistry, 1992, p494)
Interviews as Topic
Sexually Transmitted Diseases, Bacterial
A republic in the Greater Antilles in the West Indies. Its capital is Santo Domingo. With Haiti, it forms the island of Hispaniola - the Dominican Republic occupying the eastern two thirds, and Haiti, the western third. It was created in 1844 after a revolt against the rule of President Boyer over the entire island of Hispaniola, itself visited by Columbus in 1492 and settled the next year. Except for a brief period of annexation to Spain (1861-65), it has been independent, though closely associated with the United States. Its name comes from the Spanish Santo Domingo, Holy Sunday, with reference to its discovery on a Sunday. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p338, 506 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p151)
The homologous chromosomes that are dissimilar in the heterogametic sex. There are the X CHROMOSOME, the Y CHROMOSOME, and the W, Z chromosomes (in animals in which the female is the heterogametic sex (the silkworm moth Bombyx mori, for example)). In such cases the W chromosome is the female-determining and the male is ZZ. (From King & Stansfield, A Dictionary of Genetics, 4th ed)
Healthy Worker Effect
Human immunodeficiency virus. A non-taxonomic and historical term referring to any of two species, specifically HIV-1 and/or HIV-2. Prior to 1986, this was called human T-lymphotropic virus type III/lymphadenopathy-associated virus (HTLV-III/LAV). From 1986-1990, it was an official species called HIV. Since 1991, HIV was no longer considered an official species name; the two species were designated HIV-1 and HIV-2.
Statistical models which describe the relationship between a qualitative dependent variable (that is, one which can take only certain discrete values, such as the presence or absence of a disease) and an independent variable. A common application is in epidemiology for estimating an individual's risk (probability of a disease) as a function of a given risk factor.
Studies in which subsets of a defined population are identified. These groups may or may not be exposed to factors hypothesized to influence the probability of the occurrence of a particular disease or other outcome. Cohorts are defined populations which, as a whole, are followed in an attempt to determine distinguishing subgroup characteristics.
Nonionic surfactant mixtures varying in the number of repeating ethoxy (oxy-1,2-ethanediyl) groups. They are used as detergents, emulsifiers, wetting agents, defoaming agents, etc. Nonoxynol-9, the compound with 9 repeating ethoxy groups, is a spermatocide, formulated primarily as a component of vaginal foams and creams.
A republic stretching from the Indian Ocean east to New Guinea, comprising six main islands: Java, Sumatra, Bali, Kalimantan (the Indonesian portion of the island of Borneo), Sulawesi (formerly known as the Celebes) and Irian Jaya (the western part of New Guinea). Its capital is Djakarta. The ethnic groups living there are largely Chinese, Arab, Eurasian, Indian, and Pakistani; 85% of the peoples are of the Islamic faith.
Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome
An acquired defect of cellular immunity associated with infection by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), a CD4-positive T-lymphocyte count under 200 cells/microliter or less than 14% of total lymphocytes, and increased susceptibility to opportunistic infections and malignant neoplasms. Clinical manifestations also include emaciation (wasting) and dementia. These elements reflect criteria for AIDS as defined by the CDC in 1993.
A province of Canada on the Pacific coast. Its capital is Victoria. The name given in 1858 derives from the Columbia River which was named by the American captain Robert Gray for his ship Columbia which in turn was named for Columbus. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p178 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p81-2)
A kingdom in the eastern Himalayas on the northeast border of India, bounded on the north by Tibet, on the east by Assam, on the south by Assam and West Bengal, and on the west by Sikkim and Tibet. From 1720 to 1970 it was under Chinese or Indian domination. In 1971 it became a member of the United Nations. The name comes from the Sanskrit bhota, the name for Tibet, + anta, end, with reference to its location at the southern extremity of Tibet. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p144 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p64)
Herpesvirus 2, Human
Age as a constituent element or influence contributing to the production of a result. It may be applicable to the cause or the effect of a circumstance. It is used with human or animal concepts but should be differentiated from AGING, a physiological process, and TIME FACTORS which refers only to the passage of time.
Sex Determination Analysis
Procedures for finding the mathematical function which best describes the relationship between a dependent variable and one or more independent variables. In linear regression (see LINEAR MODELS) the relationship is constrained to be a straight line and LEAST-SQUARES ANALYSIS is used to determine the best fit. In logistic regression (see LOGISTIC MODELS) the dependent variable is qualitative rather than continuously variable and LIKELIHOOD FUNCTIONS are used to find the best relationship. In multiple regression, the dependent variable is considered to depend on more than a single independent variable.
Vaginal Creams, Foams, and Jellies
Medicated dosage forms for topical application in the vagina. A cream is a semisolid emulsion containing suspended or dissolved medication; a foam is a dispersion of a gas in a medicated liquid resulting in a light, frothy mass; a jelly is a colloidal semisolid mass of a water soluble medicated material, usually translucent.
Risk Reduction Behavior
Work Schedule Tolerance
Disorders of Sex Development
In gonochoristic organisms, congenital conditions in which development of chromosomal, gonadal, or anatomical sex is atypical. Effects from exposure to abnormal levels of GONADAL HORMONES in the maternal environment, or disruption of the function of those hormones by ENDOCRINE DISRUPTORS are included.
Extraction and Processing Industry
Insects of the family Formicidae, very common and widespread, probably the most successful of all the insect groups. All ants are social insects, and most colonies contain three castes, queens, males, and workers. Their habits are often very elaborate and a great many studies have been made of ant behavior. Ants produce a number of secretions that function in offense, defense, and communication. (From Borror, et al., An Introduction to the Study of Insects, 4th ed, p676)
The ratio of two odds. The exposure-odds ratio for case control data is the ratio of the odds in favor of exposure among cases to the odds in favor of exposure among noncases. The disease-odds ratio for a cohort or cross section is the ratio of the odds in favor of disease among the exposed to the odds in favor of disease among the unexposed. The prevalence-odds ratio refers to an odds ratio derived cross-sectionally from studies of prevalent cases.
Disease Transmission, Infectious
Created as the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes in 1918. Yugoslavia became the official name in 1929. BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA; CROATIA; and SLOVENIA formed independent countries 7 April 1992. Macedonia became independent 8 February 1994 as the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (MACEDONIA REPUBLIC).
A high-molecular-weight polymeric elastomer derived from the milk juice (LATEX) of HEVEA brasiliensis and other trees and plants. It is a substance that can be stretched at room temperature to at least twice its original length and after releasing the stress, retract rapidly, and recover its original dimensions fully.
Reproductive Tract Infections
Monitoring of rate of occurrence of specific conditions to assess the stability or change in health levels of a population. It is also the study of disease rates in a specific cohort such as in a geographic area or population subgroup to estimate trends in a larger population. (From Last, Dictionary of Epidemiology, 2d ed)
A diffuse parenchymal lung disease caused by inhalation of dust and by tissue reaction to their presence. These inorganic, organic, particulate, or vaporized matters usually are inhaled by workers in their occupational environment, leading to the various forms (ASBESTOSIS; BYSSINOSIS; and others). Similar air pollution can also have deleterious effects on the general population.
Maximum Allowable Concentration
The maximum exposure to a biologically active physical or chemical agent that is allowed during an 8-hour period (a workday) in a population of workers, or during a 24-hour period in the general population, which does not appear to cause appreciable harm, whether immediate or delayed for any period, in the target population. (From Lewis Dictionary of Toxicology, 1st ed)
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
A spectrum of inflammation involving the female upper genital tract and the supporting tissues. It is usually caused by an ascending infection of organisms from the endocervix. Infection may be confined to the uterus (ENDOMETRITIS), the FALLOPIAN TUBES; (SALPINGITIS); the ovaries (OOPHORITIS), the supporting ligaments (PARAMETRITIS), or may involve several of the above uterine appendages. Such inflammation can lead to functional impairment and infertility.
Infectious Disease Transmission, Patient-to-Professional
The largest of the continents. It was known to the Romans more specifically as what we know today as Asia Minor. The name comes from at least two possible sources: from the Assyrian asu (to rise) or from the Sanskrit usa (dawn), both with reference to its being the land of the rising sun, i.e., eastern as opposed to Europe, to the west. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p82 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p34)
Toxic, volatile, flammable liquid hydrocarbon byproduct of coal distillation. It is used as an industrial solvent in paints, varnishes, lacquer thinners, gasoline, etc. Benzene causes central nervous system damage acutely and bone marrow damage chronically and is carcinogenic. It was formerly used as parasiticide.
Health Services Accessibility
A study of HIV/AIDS related knowledge, attitude and behaviors among female sex workers in Shanghai China. (1/284)(+info)
'Relief of oppression': an organizing principle for researchers' obligations to participants in observational studies in the developing world. (2/284)(+info)
Knowledge of HIV seropositivity is a predictor for initiation of illicit drug use: incidence of drug use initiation among female sex workers in a high HIV-prevalence area of China. (3/284)(+info)
Anal sex, vaginal practices, and HIV incidence in female sex workers in urban Kenya: implications for the development of intravaginal HIV prevention methods. (4/284)(+info)
A multilevel analysis of the impact of socio-structural and environmental influences on condom use among female sex workers. (5/284)(+info)
Prevalence and correlates of 'agua celeste' use among female sex workers who inject drugs in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. (6/284)(+info)
HIV, STI prevalence and risk behaviours among women selling sex in Lahore, Pakistan. (7/284)(+info)
Interest in low-threshold employment among people who inject illicit drugs: implications for street disorder. (8/284)(+info)
Determinants Of Sustained Virological Suppression In HIV-1 Infected Female Sex Workers In The Sex Worker Outreach Project (Swop...
The goal of anti-retroviral therapy is to stem the replication of HIV virus to a point below which drug fighting mutation do not emerge, restore and preserve immune function, reduce AIDS-related events and improve the life span of the patient. By the end of 2016, there were 1.5 million PLWH in Kenya, with 59% on ART. Nairobi carries the highest population of sex workers, a key population in HIV transmission. The rate of viral suppression among PLWH on ART (74%) in Nairobi County stands at 41%. For a County with approximately 39,494 sex workers whose HIV prevalence is high (29.3% among female sex workers and 18.2% among male who have sex with men) relative to the County prevalence, theres need to improve the rate of viral suppression. The objective of the study was to determine factors influencing sustained viral load suppression in female sex workers initiated into care at the sex worker outreach project in Nairobi. This was a retrospective cohort study using secondary data collected from HIV ...
Transgender sex workers, male sex workers, a call for a Global Fund review of key population programming, and an American...
The Needs and Rights of Trans Sex Workers - With high prevalence of HIV, targeted for violence, often living undocumented and having fled their countries of origin to escape even greater threats, transgender sex workers face tremendous health risks and vulnerabilities, but find health care inaccessible or harmful, this briefing paper from the Global Network of Sex Projects says. Examining legal, economic, cultural and programming abuses at what can be described as an intersection of whorephobia and transphobia, the paper presents needs and barriers as expressed by transgender sex workers in groups and through questionnaires.. The Needs and Rights of Male Sex Workers - Assumed to be gay, or to identify as gay, male sex workers face additional challenges accessing appropriate health information and services, while also facing exceptional vulnerabilities to HIV, violence and imprisonment. Another briefing paper from the Global Network of Sex Projects examines challenges, advocacy and activism on ...
Factors influencing incidence of hiv/aids among female sex workers: The case of Imenti north sub county, Meru county, Kenya
In a world where the overwhelming majority of HIV infections are sexually transmitted, sex workers are at a heightened risk of HIV infection. According to Nascop (2010) in Kenya, 1.3 million people aged between 15-64 years are living with HIV with a national prevalence of 7.1%. Although links between sex work and HIV vulnerability have been recognized since the earliest of days, surveys indicate that sex workers have inadequate access to HIV prevention services and it is believed that their access is even more limited for appropriate care, treatment and support. To date, HIV response has devoted insufficient attention and resources to efforts to address HIV and sex work, with less than 1% of global funding for HIV prevention being spent on HIV and sex work (UNAIDS:2012). The study focused on the incidence of HIV/AIDS among female sex workers in Imenti North sub county, Meru County. The study sought to understand the factors contributing to the incidence of HIV/AIDS among female sex workers in ...
Risk behaviours among internet-facilitated sex workers: evidence from two new datasets | Sexually Transmitted Infections
Sex workers have historically played a central role in STI outbreaks by forming a core group for transmission and due to their higher rates of concurrency and inconsistent condom usage. Over the past 15 years, North American commercial sex markets have been radically reorganised by internet technologies that channelled a sizeable share of the marketplace online. These changes may have had a meaningful impact on the role that sex workers play in STI epidemics. In this study, two new datasets documenting the characteristics and practices of internet-facilitated sex workers are presented and analysed. The first dataset comes from a ratings website where clients share detailed information on over 94 000 sex workers in over 40 cities between 1999 and 2008. The second dataset reflects a year-long field survey of 685 sex workers who advertise online. Evidence from these datasets suggests that internet-facilitated sex workers are dissimilar from the street-based workers who largely populated the ...
Legalisation of sex work associated with lower prevalence of HIV in sex workers | aidsmap
In countries where sex work is partly legalised, sex worker HIV prevalence was lower than in countries where sex work is criminalised (β= -2.09). Specifically, the average prevalence in ten countries where the practice is illegal was 4.0%, compared to 0.5% in 17 countries where some aspects of sex work have been legalised.. HIV prevalence remained lower in countries that legalise some aspects of sex work after adjusting for gross domestic product (β= -1.86) and after adjusting for the prevalence of injecting drug use among sex workers (β= -1.93). Neither GDP nor the proportion of sex workers who inject drugs was associated with HIV prevalence after controlling for sex work policy.. Germany, the one country which has legalised all aspects of sex work had a lower prevalence (after adjustment) than countries with more restrictive policies, although it is hard to generalise on the basis of one case. It is also hard to draw specific conclusions about the two Nordic model countries, especially as ...
Risk of sexually transmitted infections and violence among indoor-working female sex workers in London: the effect of migration...
Studies in the UK and Europe have reported exploitation, violence, drug use and sexual risk behaviours associated with sex work.1 2 It is not clear how or indeed whether migration increases vulnerability to these and other adverse outcomes. International studies from high- and middle-income countries have shown higher rates of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs) among migrant than non-migrant sex workers,3 4 as well as increased drug use,5 termination of pregnancies,6 anal sex and unprotected sex,7 factors associated with increased risk of HIV and STI. Other evidence suggests that migrant sex workers are no more likely to engage in risk behaviours than indigenous sex workers.8. In the UK, sex worker support services report marked increases in the proportion of migrant women working in the UK sex industry, coinciding largely with the expansion of the European Union. This is particularly the case in London, where an estimated 76% of service users are migrants, of which ...
Press Release: Sex workers flood to Durban for the International Aids Conference: to fight for our lives! | SWEAT
18 July 2016. Sex Workers Education and Advocacy Taskforce and Sisonke, National Movement of Sex Workers in South Africa will be holding a demonstration outside the International Convention Centre (ICC), Monday 18 July 2016. The demonstration coincides with the first official day of the International Aids Conference 2016.. While governments, academics and activists meet to strategise the fight against HIV, we must not forget that sex workers form the frontline of this battle. As long as sex work remains criminalised and stigmatised, this is a battle that cannot be won.. The demonstration pays deference to sex workers who have been murdered and who have borne the brunt of a law that serves to put them in danger and allows violence to be perpetrated with impunity. These senseless laws have now been under investigation for 19 years. In this time the evidence has been made clear that the decriminalisation of sex work is the best legal model to ensure healthcare and justice services to sex workers. ...
How Facebook is Outing Sex Workers
If you are a sex worker, or you have anything to hide from your family and friends, you may want to reconsider being on Facebook.com.. Sex workers who have public Facebook.com accounts are horrified to learn that their secret identities are being revealed to family and friends.. Gizmodo.com interviewed a sex worker - identified only as Leila - who went to great lengths to use a different name, different telephone number, and a different email address for her public Facebook account.. Despite all her precautions, Facebook presented her clients to her via the People You May Know recommendations.. Now her sex work clients know her real identity.. Its not just sex workers who are careful to shield their identities, Leila told Gizmodo via Skype. The people who hire sex workers are also very concerned with anonymity so theyre using alternative emails and alternative names. And sometimes they have phones that they only use for this, for hiring women. You have two ends of people using ...
ICM Archives - International Union of Sex Workers International Union of Sex Workers
Press release from The International Union of Sex Workers on Amnesty Internationals Decision to Adopt Policy on the Human Rights of Sex Workers 12 August 2015 The IUSW is deeply grateful to Amnesty International for adopting policy to protect the human rights of sex workers. In doing so, Amnesty has listened to hundreds of […]. ...
Prevalence of Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Hepatitis C in a Survey of Female Sex Workers in the North-East of Italy ...
A key issue in the prevention and control of Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD) is to provide access to health centres, and in diagnosing and treating STD. The present study is aimed to assess the prevalence of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and Hepatitis C virus (HCV) in a population of immigrant female sex workers (FSWs). We conducted a cross sectional survey of FSWs working in Verona, North-eastern Italy. Screening test included serology for STDs [including Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), syphilis and Hepatitis B virus (HBV)] and hepatitis C virus (HCV).. Sixteen out of 345 (4.6%) street FSWs screened during 1999-2007 resulted positive for HIV, 12 (3.5%) were positive for HBsAg, 7 (2.0%) were positive for syphilis serological test, and 3 (0.9%) were positive for HCV. Comparison of the prevalence data between women from Africa (286/345, 82.8%) and other countries showed no statistical difference for HIV infection (R.R. 1.44; 95% CI, 0.34-6.19) and for presence of HBsAg (R.R. 2.27; ...
Feasibility and Acceptability of Cell Phone Diaries to Measure HIV Risk Behavior Among Female Sex Workers
Abstract Individual, social, and structural factors affecting HIV risk behaviors among female sex workers (FSWs) are difficult to assess using retrospective surveys methods. To test the feasibility and acceptability of cell phone diaries to collect information about sexual events, we recruited 26 FSWs in Indianapolis, Indiana (US).
A Prospective Cohort Study of Fertility Desire, Unprotected Sex, and Detectable Viral Load in HIV-Positive Female Sex Workers...
Wilson KS, Wanje G, Masese L, Simoni JM, Shafi J, Adala L, Overbaugh J, Jaoko W, Richardson BA, McClelland RS. A Prospective Cohort Study of Fertility Desire, Unprotected Sex, and Detectable Viral Load in HIV-Positive Female Sex Workers in Mombasa, Kenya. J. Acquir. Immune Defic. Syndr.. 2018;78(3):276-282 ...
Indigenous primary health care: PI15b-Proportion of regular clients with Type II diabetes or COPD who are immunised against...
Proportion of regular clients who are Indigenous, aged 15-49 years, are recorded as having Type II diabetes or COPD and are immunised against influenza. Regular client refers to a client of an OATSIH-funded primary health care service (that is required to report against the Indigenous primary health care key performance indicators) who has an active medical record; that is, a client who has attended the OATSIH-funded primary health care service at least 3 times in 2 years.. A client is considered to be immunised against influenza if they have received an influenza vaccination in the previous year.. Presented as a number. ...
Indigenous primary health care: PI12a-Number of regular clients who are classified as overweight or obese, 2020-2021
Count of regular clients who are Indigenous, aged 25 and over and who have had their BMI classified as overweight or obese within the previous 24 months.. Regular client refers to a client of an Australian Government Department of Health-funded primary health-care service (that is required to report against the Indigenous primary health care key performance indicators) who has an active medical record; that is, a client who has attended the Department of Health-funded primary health-care service at least 3 times in 2 years.. BMI: A measure of an adults weight (body mass) relative to height, used to assess the extent of weight deficit or excess where height and weight have been measured. Body mass index is the weight in kilograms divided by the square of the height in metres (WHO 2017).. Presented as a number.. Calculated separately for overweight and obese classifications.. If the client has had their BMI recorded more than once within the previous 24 months, only the most recently recorded ...
December 2011 - International Union of Sex Workers International Union of Sex Workers
The International Union of Sex Workers warmly welcomes the Home Office announcement of funds for a pilot scheme UK wide Ugly Mugs scheme, to be run by the UK Network of Sex Work Projects and launched in spring 2012. While sex workers are criminalised for working together, we will remain fearful of contacting the police […]. ...
The association between substance use and sub-optimal HIV treatment engagement among HIV-infected female sex workers in...
Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of The association between substance use and sub-optimal HIV treatment engagement among HIV-infected female sex workers in Lilongwe, Malawi. Together they form a unique fingerprint. ...
ACT NOW: Leaders Call on UN to Address Key Populations in Primary Prevention of HIV - MSMGF Men Who Have Sex With Men Global...
Download a PDF of Reconsidering Primary Prevention of HIV. Available in English, Español , Français. The world needs a new phase in the evolution of the HIV response-one that reinvigorates prevention by seamlessly combining the efficacy of upstream, midstream, and downstream interventions with the powerful effectiveness of community action.. Gay men and other men who have sex with men, people who inject drugs, sex workers, and transgender women are 24, 24, 13.5, and 49 times more likely to acquire HIV, respectively, than adults in the general population (15 years old and older). Globally, these key populations disproportionately bear the burden of new infections, as gay men and other men who have sex with men, people who inject drugs, sex workers, and transgender women accounted for 45% of all new HIV infections in 2015.. Key populations are rendered vulnerable to HIV by upstream factors like punitive and discriminatory laws and politically driven policies, creating stressors that exacerbate ...
Legalisation of sex work associated with lower prevalence of HIV in sex workers | BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS
From AIDSmap, Roger Pebody reports on a study suggesting that legalization of some aspects of sex work might help reduce HIV prevalence in this high-risk group. Countries that have legalized some aspects of sex work have fewer sex workers living with HIV than countries that criminalize all aspects of sex work, according to an ecological analysis of 27 European countries published online ahead of print in The Lancet HIV.
what is a sex worker ? | Page 2 | rabble.ca
i have always acknowledged others experiences, where have i not? i have stated repeatedly that i am trying to bring mine and many others workers perspectives to the table. abolition is no the only side.. i have stated how many workers i represent and feel my credibility is not in jeodardy. i have an obligation to represent my constituency as they have asked me to. i have never dismissed other women perspectives but constsntly and consistently abolitionists try to undermine mine. casting me as a representative of organized crime, as wanting to open olympic brothels for wanting to round workers up into brothels , for trying to profit some how from womens abuse, as being the author of reports i didnt write, as not representing sex workers., that am some a-list escort who has never experienced any pain. i am stating only that not all workers experiences in the sex industry are represented by the abolitionist position and that that position has caused wide spread harm to sex workers in canada. ...
Navigating the swampy lowland: a framework for evaluating the effect of community mobilisation in female sex workers in Avahan,...
Table 1 describes the measures we used to assess strength of the CMI. Although the BTS-IV included self-reported measures of exposure to, and participation in, the programme, to adequately address our main evaluation question (ie, Did a greater level of community mobilisation lead to improved programme outcomes?), it was important to have an independent measure of strength of the intervention. An independent measure of intervention strength at the community level will allow us to move beyond an individual level only analysis of the effect of self-reported exposure to the intervention on outcomes. We define strength as the type and level of participation of the community in the CMI, and we measured it with the CLCPS, a tool based on a much longer qualitative measure of the nature, scope and character of community mobilisation and organisation.42. The CLCPS provides a profile of community participation in the CMI at a subdistrict level, a geographic area we describe as a cluster. The ...
Estimates of the size of key populations at risk for HIV infection: Men who have sex with men, female sex workers and injecting...
We integrated three population size estimation methods into a behavioural surveillance survey among MSM, FSW and IDU in Nairobi during 2010-2011. These methods included the multiplier method, Wisdom of the Crowds and an approach that drew on published literature. The median of the three estimates was hypothesised to be the most plausible size estimate with the other results forming the upper and lower plausible bounds. Data were shared with community representatives and stakeholders to finalise best point estimates and plausible bounds based on the data collected in Nairobi, a priori expectations from the global literature and stakeholder input.. Results ...
Community advocacy groups as a means to address the social environment of female sex workers: a case study in Andhra Pradesh,...
The present study highlights the lessons learnt from the setting up of a CAG system, which is part of a scaled-up community mobilisation strategy where individual FSWs in the intervention districts were facilitated to acquire social entitlements and the efforts were done to sensitise police behaviour. Although the system was established uniformly across the intervention districts around the same time, there were some sites where the CAG system was active and others where the CAG was not active at the time of the survey. The results of the survey suggest that a larger number of FSWs belonging to areas where CAGs were active received ration cards, bank accounts and health insurance as compared with FSWs in areas where CAGs were not active. Similarly, a larger percentage of FSWs from areas where CAGs were active perceived fair treatment by the police and perceived that the police explains the reasons for arrest (if they were arrested) as compared with FSWs in areas where CAGs were not active. The ...
News - Asia Pacific Network of Sex Workers
Website of the Asia Pacific Network of Sex Workers, who work to promote and protect the health and human rights of sex workers in the Asia Pacific region
Photographer captures the home lives of off-duty sex workers | Daily Mail Online
Lindsay Irene, from Ottawa, has photographed over a dozen sex workers at home going about their normal everyday lives. The project is entitled Home Lives of Sex Workers in Canada.
Guys, Would you date a former sex worker? - GirlsAskGuys
Guys, Would you date a former sex worker? Very clean sex worker, rules here are strict too so you need to be tested frequently. Say shes a beautiful, charming, intelligent girl with a great soul....... asked under Dating
Sex workers hands tied under virus lockdowns
London, United Kingdom , AFP , The bondage chairs and polished metal whipping tools sit gathering dust on a quiet street near Londons trendy Shoreditch neighbourhood - and Madame Caramel is not pleased.. The coronavirus lockdown has punished the London dominatrix, whose Hoxton Dungeon Suite has stood silent for weeks.. In regards to the dungeon, completely stopped, zero percent, no income whatsoever, and in regards to Madame Caramel as a professional dominatrix it is exactly the same, said the red-haired self-proclaimed femme domme.. The one-to-one… is gone, just the online stays, she told AFP.. - Cant do in-person -. In Europes red-light capital Amsterdam, sex work is due to officially resume in September. Prostitution in the Netherlands is legal and regulated, which allows for more support and structure during the coronavirus lockdown.. But many sex workers in Britain and beyond are now moving online to make ends meet.. Fellow London dominatrix Mistress Evilyne found success on ...
Unprotected sex with thai sex worker - HIV - Prevention - MedHelp
Hello doctor, I have been in Thailand recently and, after a stupidly drunken night, had unprotected vaginal sex with a thai sex worker :( It was about 2-3 weeks ago and since then i have developed f...
Understanding the social and cultural contexts of female sex workers in Karnataka, India: implications for prevention of HIV...
PubMed comprises more than 30 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full-text content from PubMed Central and publisher web sites.
I Heart Sex Workers | Cokesbury
Paying for sex - engaging in the oldest profession -- is everywhere, even in your church. The factors leading individuals into sex work are as varied as hair colors, yet sex workers are viewed as powerless individuals who must be rescued. I Heart Sex...
Chinese sex workers and HIV - MSMGF Men Who Have Sex With Men Global Forum
But further back in an older, shabbier part of the city is another class of sex workers. They work out of their homes, earn less and have little support on the occasion a customer is violent or leaves without paying. And with Mengzi just a few hours drive from the Golden Triangle of opium-production, some of these women do sex work to feed their crippling heroin addiction. In terms of social status theyre just the gum on the bottom of the nations shoe, but a priority for certain groups working to combat HIV ...
How Facebook Outs Sex Workers - Techidudes
An anonymous reader shares a Gizmodo report: Leila has two identities, but Facebook is only supposed to know about one of them. Leila is a sex worker. She goes to great lengths to keep separate identities for ordinary life and for sex work, to avoid stigma, arrest, professional blowback, or clients who might be stalkers (or worse). Her real identi ...
Sex workers are 12 times more likely to be living with HIV than the general population. Punitive laws make it challenging to reach them with HIV prevention programmes.
Behavioral Intervention to Reduce Sexual and Injection Risks Among Female Sex Workers Who Also Inject Drugs in Mexico - Full...
Combined incidence for HIV/STI was calculated over the 12-month study period and included only those who a) had at least one follow-up visit and b) at baseline tested negative for HIV and any of the aforementioned STIs.. In the calculations we accounted for the time each participant spent at risk of HIV/any STI during the follow-up period, by using available information on each participant for each time point (i.e. baseline, 4-, 8-, and 12-months was used).. The analytic method used for this outcome analysis was Poisson regression with robust variance estimation. The outcome variable was a binary variable indicating whether a participant has contracted HIV or a new STI during the 12-month follow-up period. The primary factor of interest was the intervention group. The log (time spent at risk of HIV/any STI) was used as an offset variable in order to account for the time spent at risk of HIV/any STI by each participant. ...
As temperatures dip, PADS looks for regular clients - tribunedigital-chicagotribune
As temperatures dipped this month to some of the lowest the region has seen in recent years, homeless advocates are hoping those on the streets will seek shelter.The door is always open and the
Tune into Radio Carly: Interview with sex worker Rachel Wotton - Skin hunger part 2.
People have such a black ideology about who is involved in the sex industry and whats involved. I always try to normalise it to what it is. People are going to bars and going online to dating and pick up sites to get a date and to have sex. No one cares how many times a week their neighbour has sex or who they are doing it with. No one cares about who is or isnt using a condom and certainly no one cares to monitor if anyone at the bars and clubs and online is every getting an STI check up. Suddenly when you actually say that you are calmly negotiating what you will and wont do with the other person, arrange a mutually beneficial time to meet, have a clear discussion about safer sex practices and just happen to put a monetary value on this exchange - THEN people get their knickers in a twist and feel that they have the right to talk about you. They suddenly feel that they are threatened by you and suddenly that both the clients and the sex workers need to be in isolation far away from everyone ...
Leeds: Murder accused bought kebab after killing and robbing sex worker in red light area UPDATED - Yorkshire Evening Post
A SEX worker was subjected a “sustained and forceful” fatal attack before being robbed of cash in a managed red light area close to Leeds city centre, a jury heard.
Gay sex workers get massive boost in business thanks to RNC - RT US News
Gay sex workers reported an upsurge in demand during this weeks Republican National Convention in Cleveland, while the ladies of the night appeared to miss out on the booming business.
Protecting Your Asset Like any job, it is important that care is taken to protect ones employment. For the average worker, this may include getting to work on time, ensuring jobs are completed efficiently and effectively and keeping good health, among other things. For the sex worker, work is all about the body. Taking care of this asset (body) should rank high. It is therefore important that sex workers protect their asset. A sexually transmitted infection (STI) affects your health and ability to work. Once you are not working, it means loss of money. It is therefore important to the business that sex workers care enough about their body to ensure it is healthy: So how can you p.... Read more ...
Risky Sexual Behavior among Make Clients of Tijuana Six Workers Heightens Risk of HIC Transmission
A study by a bi-national team of global health researchers at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, examining HIV infection among male clients of female sex workers in Tijuana.
Episode 49: Sex Work and Family
In Episode 49 we focus on family and sexuality. We talk to sex workers and parents Kym Cutter and Natalie Brewster Nguyen about raising kids in community with other sex workers.. We also interview Elizabeth Ann Wood, author of Bound: A Daughter, a Domme, and an End-of-Life Story, about caring for her dominatrix mother at the end of her mothers life.. ...
Dr Nupur Pattanaik, Author at Countercurrents
Covid-19 presents a new muddle and risks for sex workers, pandemic of poverty has affected the lives of sex workers; Desperation has kicked in for vulnerable, undocumented workers unable to access help, it has left them with distress, uncertainty, with social distancing rules getting more stringent there is a fear of losing livelihood, health issues troubling, as sex work is[Read More…] ...
Proposed Ontario human trafficking law will be extremely harmful to sex workers, advocates say | The Star
The Combating Human Trafficking Act, Bill 251, dangerously conflates sex work with human trafficking, advocates and community groups said Tuesday.
Minority AIDS Initiative | Jewish Healthcare Foundation
Our Mission. We support and foster the provision of healthcare services, healthcare education, and, when appropriate, medical and scientific research.
Condom use and prevalence of syphilis and HIV among female sex workers in Andhra Pradesh, India - following a large-scale HIV...
Avahan, the India AIDS initiative began HIV prevention interventions in 2003 in Andhra Pradesh (AP) among high-risk groups including female sex workers (FSWs), to help contain the HIV epidemic. This manuscript describes an assessment of this intervention using the published Avahan evaluation framework and assesses the coverage, outcomes and changes in STI and HIV prevalence among FSWs. Multiple data sources were utilized including Avahan routine program monitoring data, two rounds of cross-sectional survey data (in 2006 and 2009) and STI clinical quality monitoring assessments. Bi-variate and multivariate analyses, Wald Chi-square tests and multivariate logistic regressions were used to measure changes in behavioural and biological outcomes over time and their association. Avahan scaled up in conjunction with the Government program to operate in all districts in AP by March 2009. By March 2009, 80% of the FSWs were being contacted monthly and 21% were coming to STI services monthly. Survey data
Condom Utilization and Associated Factors Among Female Sex Workers in Bahir Dar City Administration, Northwestern Ethiopia ::...
Condoms have dual method for Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) and pregnancy prevention, but the usage is affected by several reasons. As we know, approximately 36.7 million people worldwide were living with HIV/AIDS at the end of 2016. Of these, 2.1 million were children (|15 years old). An estimated 1.8 million newly infected with HIV in 2016-about 5,000 new infections per day 160,000 children (|15 years). Most of these children live in sub-Saharan Africa. In Ethiopia, it is illegal to operate a brothel or procure sex workers as a commercial activity, but the sale of sex by women is not prohibited by law. The objective of this study was to assess condom utilization and associated factors among female sex workers in Bahir Dar city administration Northwestern Ethiopia. Community based cross sectional study triangulated with qualitative in-depth interview was conducted to determine condom utilization among 307 female sex workers in Bahir Dar city in February 2019 by using Face-to-face interview for
Filling the Knowledge Gap: Measuring HIV Prevalence and Risk Factors among Men Who Have Sex with Men and Female Sex Workers in...
TY - JOUR. T1 - Filling the Knowledge Gap. T2 - Measuring HIV Prevalence and Risk Factors among Men Who Have Sex with Men and Female Sex Workers in Tripoli, Libya. AU - Valadez, Joseph J.. AU - Berendes, Sima. AU - Jeffery, Caroline. AU - Thomson, Joanna. AU - Ben Othman, Hussain. AU - Danon, Leon. AU - Turki, Abdullah A.. AU - Saffialden, Rabea. AU - Mirzoyan, Lusine. PY - 2013/6/19. Y1 - 2013/6/19. N2 - Background:Publications on Libyas HIV epidemic mostly examined the victims of the tragic nosocomial HIV outbreak in the 1990s and the related dispute about the detention of foreign medical workers. The dispute resolution in 2003 included an agreement with the European Union on humanitarian cooperation and the development of Libyas first National HIV Strategy. As part of this we conducted Libyas first bio-behavioural survey among men having sex with men (MSM) and female sex workers (FSW).Methods:Using respondent-driven sampling, we conducted a cross-sectional study to estimate the prevalence ...
Use of Dual Protection Among Female Sex Workers In Swaziland | Guttmacher Institute
Female sex workers are at high risk of both HIV infection and unintended pregnancy. Although programs and policies targeting female sex workers emphasize HIV prevention and condom promotion, they typically pay limited attention to the family planning needs of these women.
HIV and other sexually transmitted infections among female sex workers in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo, in 2002.
OBJECTIVE: The objective of this study was to determine the prevalence and risk factors of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs) among female sex workers (FSWs) in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, in 2002. STUDY DESIGN: A cross-sectional study was conducted among FSWs presenting for the first time at the STI clinic of Matonge, Kinshasa. The women were interviewed about sociodemographic characteristics, type of sex work, and sexual behavior. Blood was taken for HIV, syphilis, and herpes simplex virus type 2 serology. Vaginal secretions were collected on swabs for the diagnosis of gonorrhea, chlamydia, and trichomoniasis. RESULTS: The overall HIV prevalence was 12.4% but varied within the different categories of FSWs: 11.8% in hotel-based, 24.0% in home-based, and 20.0% in street-based FSWs; 10.0% in homeless FSWs; and 6.6% in Masquées (clandestine sex workers). The overall herpes simplex virus type 2 seroprevalence was 58.5%. CONCLUSIONS: The prevalence of HIV and other ...
Community Mobilization and Empowerment of Female Sex Workers in Karnataka State, South India: Associations With HIV and...
OBJECTIVES: We examined the impact of community mobilization (CM) on the empowerment, risk behaviors, and prevalence of HIV and sexually transmitted infection in female sex workers (FSWs) in Karnataka, India.,br/, METHODS: We conducted behavioral-biological surveys in 2008 and 2011 in 4 districts of Karnataka, India. We defined exposure to CM as low, medium (attended nongovernmental organization meeting or drop-in centre), or high (member of collective or peer group). We used regression analyses to explore whether exposure to CM was associated with the preceding outcomes. Pathway analyses explored the degree to which effects could be attributable to CM.,br/, RESULTS: By the final survey, FSWs with high CM exposure were more likely to have been tested for HIV (adjusted odd ratio [AOR] = 25.13; 95% confidence interval [CI] = 13.07, 48.34) and to have used a condom at last sex with occasional clients (AOR = 4.74; 95% CI = 2.17, 10.37), repeat clients (AOR = 4.29; 95% CI = 2.24, 8.20), and regular ...
HIV/AIDS Preventive Practice and Associated Factors among Female Sex Workers in Afar Region, Ethiopia: A Community Based Study...
ABSTRACT BACKGROUND: Female Sex Workers (FSWs) are a high-risk population for Human Immune Virus (HIV) infection. However, HIV related services for sex workers are given little attention in developing nations like Ethiopia. Thus, this study attempted to assess HIV preventive practice and associated factors among FSWs in the Afar region. METHODS: Community-based cross-sectional study was conducted on 419 FSWs from April 1st to May 2nd in 2018 in four hotspot towns (i.e. Logia, Mille, Gedamayitu and Awash) found in Afar region. The study participants were selected using snowball sampling technique. The sociodemographic and behavioral data were collected using face-to-face interview. Logistic regression analyses were done to determine factors associated with HIV prevention practices. The statistically significant level was declared at a P-value , 0.05. RESULTS: The HIV/AIDS preventive practice among FSWs was 61.1% [95% CI 56.2% - 65.9%]. The multivariable logistic regression analysis showed that ...
Wake Up Pune » Grim reality: A survey of sex workers
These are shocking statistics that belie the close to 10% growth rate of the national economy and tell the story of a community that isnt. As per the law.. More than 41% women sex workers in the Capitals GB Road enter the profession because of sheer poverty, 39% of their own free will. Only 50% use condoms and the social welfare department says despite their best efforts health and hygiene standards cannot be improved too much beyond the occasional anonymous checks by mobile vans as the law does not recognise the existence of these women.. All the anti-trafficking laws notwithstanding, almost the entire population of GB Road comprises women, who have come from other states, Andhra Pradesh topping the list with 28.7% sex workers hailing from that state. These are the findings of a first-of-its-kind survey of Delhis sex workers done by the Delhi Commission for Women.. The study - 400 commercial sex workers from G B Road were studied and inputs were also taken from the rescued women in ...
No registry on sex workers, but HIV infection down
It is difficult to maintain a registry on sex workers as they move from one place to another but the government has been able to reach out to them and HIV infection among them has gone down, the Rajya Sabha was told. In a written reply to the upper house, Minister of State for Health Dinesh Trivedi said despite not maintaining a registry, they have been able to reach out to the community. Asked whether a registry for sex workers in India exists, Trivedi said that the dynamics of sex workers operations keeps on changing. Sex workers move from one place to another and assume different names which makes it difficult to keep a registry, he said ...
Share Safer Sex Counseling Program for Changing Sexual Risk Behaviors in Mexican Female Sex Workers - Full Text View -...
Mexican female sex workers (FSWs) represent a large portion of the reported cases of AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) in Mexico. Despite the imbalance in the distribution of reported cases, there have been few efforts to change high-risk sexual behaviors in this population. There has been a dramatic increase in HIV and other STDs over the past decade, especially in Mexican cities along the United States border. Border cities often have a thriving sex trade industry, and some are considered sexual tourist destinations. FSWs in these border cities, however, often do not know how to practice safe sex. A previous study showed that a culturally sensitive risk reduction counseling program was effective in reducing sexual risk behavior in FSWs in Tijuana, Mexico. It may therefore be possible to implement the same program, with similar efficacy, in other Mexican cities near the U.S. border. This study will evaluate the effectiveness of the Share Safer Sex Program versus a standard ...
HIV epidemiology among female sex workers and their clients in the Middle East and North Africa: systematic review, meta...
HIV epidemiology among female sex workers (FSWs) and their clients in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region is poorly understood. We addressed this gap through a comprehensive epidemiological assessment. A systematic review of population size estimation and HIV prevalence studies was conducted and reported following PRISMA guidelines. Risk of bias (ROB) assessments were conducted for all included studies using various quality domains, as informed by Cochrane Collaboration guidelines. The pooled mean HIV prevalence was estimated using random-effects meta-analyses. Sources of heterogeneity and temporal trends were identified through meta-regressions. We identified 270 size estimation studies in FSWs and 42 in clients, and 485 HIV prevalence studies in 287,719 FSWs and 69 in 29,531 clients/proxy populations. Most studies had low ROB in multiple quality domains. The median proportion of reproductive-age women reporting current/recent sex work was 0.6% (range = 0.2-2.4%) and of men reporting
Substance abuse, treatment needs and access among female sex workers and non-sex workers in Pretoria, South Africa | RTI
BACKGROUND: This study examined cross-sectional data collected from substance-using female sex workers (FSW) and non-sex workers (non-SW) in Pretoria, South Africa, who entered a randomized controlled trial. METHODS: Women who reported alcohol use and recently engaging in sex work or unprotected sex were recruited for a randomized study. The study sample (N = 506) comprised 335 FSW and 171 female non-SW from Pretoria and surrounding areas.
HIV survey - Fiji Times Online
THE HIV epidemic in Fiji is not expanding through sex workers, the Integrated Behavioural and Biological Survey (IBBS) and Size Estimation of Sex Workers in Fiji: HIV Prevention Project report revealed.. The report, launched yesterday by the President Ratu Epeli Nailatikau, was the first large-scale quantitative research on sex workers in Fiji which aims to help understand the nature of sex work in Fiji, rates of HIV and STI infection among the sex worker community and their knowledge and behaviour around safer sex practices.. A total of 298 sex workers participated in the IBBS survey with 297 valid surveys for the behavioural survey and 293 valid biological samples for the biological component. This represented just 38 per cent of the total estimated sex worker population in Fiji.. Just three positive cases of HIV were found suggesting sex workers are not experiencing a concentrated epidemic and that the HIV epidemic in Fiji is not expanding through sex workers, the report stated.. Nadi, the ...
A post by NGO Delegate Rathi Ramanathan (Asia and the Pacific). Advocacy for sex workers rights is a challenge: not only is constructive dialogue impeded because the language is contested, but since sex worker rights continue to be politicised, any positive changes to laws are difficult to achieve. Sex workers from the Global Sex Workers Project successfully lobbied for the UN Protocol to Prevent, Suppress and Punish Trafficking in Persons, especially Women and Children (the Palermo Protocol) to replace the term prostitute with sex worker. More than mere political correctness, this shift in language had the important effect of moving global understandings of sex worker rights towards a labour rights framework that could potentially resolve many of the problems faced by sex workers. This language also questions the stigma of sex work because it represents greater recognition of sex workers as rights bearers with the capacity to make their own choices.. Read more on Sex Workers Fight ...
An exploration of elevated HIV and STI risk among male sex workers from India | BMC Public Health | Full Text
Our study showed that MSWs reported more HIV risk behaviours in comparison to other MSM, including a higher number of male sexual partners, a higher proportion reporting substance use and receptive anal sex, and a lower proportion accessing STI services. The prevalence of HIV and HSV-2 among MSM in general, and MSWs in particular, was high. HIV prevalence among MSWs was associated with the place of residence (higher in Hyderabad than Mumbai), HSV-2 and syphilis seropositive status and duration of sex work. Our survey also found a very high HIV prevalence of 57% among MSWs who had sold sex for more than 10 years. As the duration in sex work increased, MSWs were less likely to report insertive anal sex and more likely to self-identify as kothis/engaging in receptive anal sex. As compared to Mumbai, MSWs from Hyderabad were at higher risk for HIV possibly owing to several factors; they were older, a higher proportion were selling sex, reported higher rates of receptive anal sex and substance use, ...
Prevalence Over Time and Risk Factors for Sexually Transmissible Infections Among Newly Arrived Female Sex Workers in Timika,...
Prevalence Over Time and Risk Factors for Sexually Transmissible Infections Among Newly Arrived Female Sex Workers in Timika, Indonesia, at TheBody.com, the complete HIV/AIDS resource.
Avahan Aids initiative may have prevented 600,000 HIV infections in India - Global Commission on HIV and the Law
A programme in India may have saved around 600,000 people from becoming infected with HIV over the course of a decade, according to a new report. Avahan, the India AIDS Initiative funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and launched in 2003, aimed to prevent HIV transmission in the general population through a comprehensive HIV prevention programme…
Management practices to support donor transition: lessons from Avahan, the India AIDS Initiative | BMC Health Services Research...
During 2009-2012, Avahan, a large donor funded HIV/AIDS prevention program in India was transferred from donor support and operation to government. This transition of approximately 200 targeted interventions (TIs), occurred in three tranches in 2009, 2011 and 2012. This paper reports on the management practices pursued in support of a smooth transition of the program, and addresses the extent to which standard change management practices were employed, and were useful in supporting transition. We conducted structured surveys of a sample of 80 TIs from the 2011 and 2012 rounds of transition. One survey was administered directly before transition and the second survey 12 month after transition. These surveys assessed readiness for transition and practices post-transition. We also conducted 15 case studies of transitioning TIs from all three rounds, and re-visited 4 of these 1-3 years later. Considerable evolution in the nature of relationships between key actors was observed between transition rounds,
Community based HIV prevention programmes among female sex workers in rural India can substantially increase the use of condoms, HIV counselling, and testing services, a new study has found.. The study was published in the July 2014 issue of the Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Health and was led by Reynold Washington, an adjunct professor at the St Johns Research Institute in Karnataka. It noted that, in India, the HIV epidemic is concentrated in high risk groups, such as intravenous drug users, men who have sex with men, female sex workers, and people who attend sexually transmitted infection (STI) clinics.. Almost 70% of Indias population resides in rural areas, and 57% of people living with HIV . . . in India also come from rural areas, Washington and his colleagues noted, adding, The state of Karnataka in south India accounts for 11% of the [people living with] HIV in the country.1. The researchers examined the changes in behavioural outcomes among 14 284 rural female sex workers who ...
Street Based Sex Workers (Modhumita Project) | YPSA
Program history. YPSA Modhumita project aiming To reduce the risk of STI and HIV transmission among street-based sex workers and their clients in the city of Chittagong.The program aims to address the lack of appropriate social support frameworks, appropriate provision of HIV/AIDS and sexual health promotion services to meet the specific needs of the Street Based Sex workers and their client through the development of appropriate advocacy including IEC, social support systems, early and effective treatment of STDs, counseling and health education, outreach workers and peer educators and promotion of condoms among the target people in Chittagong. From the different angle Chittagong is one of most vulnerable areas for STD,HIV,AIDS& TB : those are geographical location, internal & external migration, Major port city of the country, life style of mass people and impact of modernization and above all ignorance or miss conception about STD,HIV & AIDS.. YPSA has been implementing this project since ...
HIV/AIDS in Eswatini - Wikipedia
Even in the context of a generalized HIV epidemic in Eswatini, in which HIV prevalence is higher among women than men in the general population, female sex workers (FSW) in Eswatini carry an even more disproportionate burden. The FSW population is largely understudied and underserved, which has resulted in poor characterization of specific HIV prevention, treatment, and care needs for FSW, as well as sparse provision and uptake of health resources. This limited uptake is due partly to fear of disclosure of sex work status. Sex work in Eswatini is illegal. Due to criminalization of sex work, it is particularly difficult to reach the female and male sex worker population. The 2016 Eswatini HIV country profile from the World Health Organization (WHO) estimated the prevalence of HIV among sex workers (both female and male) to be 61%. A study of 328 FSW in Eswatini, conducted between August 2011 to October 2011, found that about 75% of the FSW living with HIV who participated in the ...
Petition · Access to Pads & Awareness on Menstruation for Sex Workers in Sonagachi #CountThemToo · Change.org
Lets count them too- menstruation matters to every human being who menstruates; even the sex workers. Being a professional Social Worker in Kolkata, I encounter many social issues on a daily basis as a part of my field visits. But the one that has impacted me the most in recent times is the issue of sex workers in Sonagachi, West Bengal, believed to be Asias biggest brothel. Among the community
Sex Workers and Supporters Marched Through Seattle, Visiting City and County Buildings, Before Rallying at Westlake - Slog -...
Sex workers, activists, and community supporters met at Occidental Park to rally and march in solidarity with workers in the sex industry around the world for International Sex Workers Day. The march left Occidental Park, stopped at the King County Courthouse and City Hall, and ended at Westlake Park. In addition to marching through Seattle (on the sidewalk), the demonstration of approximately 20 people chanted sex work is real work, rights not rescue and outlaw...
Sex Workers Demand Better Health Facilities And Zero Discrimination - SheThePeople TV
Sex workers across India are seeking to influence candidates in the elections through collective voting. Collective voting is an attempt to demand better health facilities and welfare services in exchange for votes. Conservative mind-sets and lack of proper policies from successive governments have seen sex workers being left behind. They have…
Protecting Your Anonymity and Privacy: A How-to for Sex Workers | Electronic Frontier Foundation
Just as you take steps to protect your personal safety and health while engaging in real-life encounters, a sex worker should also be mindful of the dangers of the online world. As we wrote in a separate blog post today, the sex worker forum MyRedBook, along with its companion sites, have been...
Swinging sex workers are group fucked and gangbanged
iframe title=Swinging sex workers are group fucked and gangbanged scrolling=no width=600 height=363 src=http://www.sewersidegirls.com/videos/embed/3222074 frameborder=0,,/iframe,,br /,,a href=http://www.sewersidegirls.com/videos/3222074 target=_blank,Swinging sex workers are group fucked and gangbanged,/a,. Provided by ,a href=http://www.sewersidegirls.com target=_blank,sewersidegirls.com,/a ...
Ciudad Juarez, Mexico Events | Eventbrite
Lining up plans in Ciudad Juarez? Whether youre a local, new in town, or just passing through, youll be sure to find something on Eventbrite that piques your interest.
Protected sex with commercial sex worker. Prescribed zerodol-p, green urine, body pain, frequent urge to urinate. HIV symptoms?...
Question - Protected sex with commercial sex worker. Prescribed zerodol-p, green urine, body pain, frequent urge to urinate. HIV symptoms?. Ask a Doctor about diagnosis, treatment and medication for HIV, Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist
CDC Global Health - Stories - On the Path to Sustainability: Combination HIV Prevention and Surveillance and Control of...
In Central America, the HIV/AIDS epidemic is concentrated with low prevalence among the general population, but high prevalence among certain sub-groups such as men who have sex with men (MSM), transgender women (male to female), and male and female sex workers (SW); named key populations. Other priority populations include people living with HIV (PLHIV), clients of sex workers, the Garifuna ethnic group, and the military population. Since 2006, Central American Ministries of Health alongside the U.S. Governments agencies such as CDC Central American Regional Office (CDC-CAR) have implemented the Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) surveillance, prevention and control strategy, known as VICITS by its Spanish acronym. VICITS is an intervention for key populations that includes the provision of a combination-prevention package, integrated STI diagnosis and treatment, condom promotion and distribution, HIV counseling and testing, antiretroviral treatment referral, collection and analysis of key ...
Does fear for infection affect condom use and HIV testing? A study of female sex workers in Pune city
Health Belief Model, a health behavior change model identified risk perception as one of the important constructs of public health interventions. 1 It is an individuals perceived susceptibility to a threat, often found to be assessed in the context of HIV prevention programs. 1, 2 The model elucidates that perception of risk to illness and understanding the significance of prevention should translates to positive health behavior. 3 HIV interventions emphasize awareness about modes of transmission and correct assessment of risk as to the key elements in adopting safe sex practices. 4 Worldwide studies in various cultures in diverse communities proved that low-risk perception was influenced by low knowledge about HIV, sex at young age, multiple sexual partners, no or low condom use. 1 Unfortunately, there is scarce evidence around these associations in the Indian context ...
Ciudad de Méjico | Article about Ciudad de Méjico by The Free Dictionary
Looking for Ciudad de Méjico? Find out information about Ciudad de Méjico. see Mexico Mexico or Mexico City, Span. Ciudad de México , city , central Mexico, capital and largest city of Mexico. ..... Click the link for more... Explanation of Ciudad de Méjico
Comparing risk factors of HIV among hijra sex workers in Larkana and o by Arshad Altaf, Aysha Zahidie et al.
Background In 2005, Pakistan was first labeled as a country with concentrated epidemic of Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV). This was revealed through second generation surveillance conducted by HIV/AIDS Surveillance Project (HASP). While injection drug users (IDUs) were driving the epidemic, subsequent surveys showed that Hijra (transgender) sex workers (HSWs) were emerging as the second most vulnerable group with an average national prevalence of 6.4%. An exceptionally high prevalence (27.6%) was found in Larkana, which is a small town on the right bank of river Indus near the ruins of Mohenjo-Daro in the province of Sindh. This paper presents the risk factors associated with high prevalence of HIV among HSWs in Larkana as compared to other cities of the country. Methods Data were extracted for secondary analysis from 2008 Integrated behavioral and biological survey (IBBS) to compare HSWs living in Larkana with those living in other cities including Karachi and Hyderabad in Sindh; Lahore and
Behaviour Studies - Kerti Praja Foundation
Formative Research Into the SHRH Needs of Street-Based Female Sex Workers and Men Who Have Sex With Men in Tanah Papua.Study was funded but the National AIDS Commission and the Global Fund. Study aims to understand the HIV and STIs related healthcare needs of street-based FSW and MSM community members in Tanah Papua. Study objectives were 1) to explore the risk perception of street-based FSW and MSM with regards to HIV and STIs; 2) to understand the healthcare seeking behavior of street-based FSW and MSM; 3) to identify the enabling and inhibiting factors of access to HIV and STI services by street-based FSW and MSM; 4) to identify the enabling and inhibiting factors for service providers and policy makers in the provision of HIV and STIs services for both populations; 5) to characterize a service model accessible to both populations. This study adopted a qualitative design approach in order to determine the risk perception of street-based FSW and MSM regarding HIV and/or STIs, gain insight into ...
I had an unprotected sex with a sex worker sometime | Ask The Doctor
I had an unprotected sex with a sex worker sometime back. Had got myself checked for std. The report says... Torch: Hsv 1 igm (serum/Elisa) ... Negative (0.5) Hsv 2 igm (serum/Elisa) ... Negative (0.3) Chlamydia trachomatis DNA ... Negat
Reducing Intimate Partner Violence Against Female Sex Workers: Findings from Samvedana Plus baseline study - KHPT
Photo conditions of use: KHPT does not grant permission to any organization, institute or individual for use of the photographs for any commercial or non-commercial or educational purposes for ethical and confidentiality reasons. ...
Sex workers threaten to block Bill Gates HIV study, National, Phnom Penh Post
A study to test a possible HIV prevention medicine is raising concerns among Cambodian sex workers, who say the program poses risks to their health and offers no compensation. The research, funded by Microsoft mogul Bill Gates, will test the drug
Downtown Eastside gentrification increases risks for trans sex workers: study | BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS
Downtown Eastside transgender sex workers have been pushed by gentrification into isolated areas, forcing them to make a hole in a fence for a quick escape route from violent customers, reveals a new study from the B.C. Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS.
NSWP launches global consensus statement for International Day To End Violence Against Sex Workers - Global Commission on HIV...
NSWP is publishing the results of a global consultation exercise, carried out with our members in every region, and now written up into all the five languages of NSWP, for December 17th, International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers.
Mobile Clinic For Sex Workers In Pune
A special clinic on wheels is being launched for sex workers in Pune that would provide AIDS counseling and treatment for sexually transmitted disease
Endometriosis- A sex workers story - Va Va Womb UK
Living with Endometriosis, a sex workers story. Allow me to introduce myself, Im Leah / Coco / Crystal / Elle.... or whatever name wasnt already taken. It was always some kind of bizarre pot luck game when I started at a new club to pick a name until you find one no-one else has. Most of the time I was Elle, so that
No data available that match "sex workers"
Sex Workers | HIV by Group | HIV/AIDS | CDC
Fact sheet covering HIV risk among persons who exchange sex for money or nonmonetary items in the US and dependent areas. ... sex without a condom, sex with multiple partners) and substance use. Those who exchange sex more regularly as a source of ... engage in riskier forms of sex such as anal sex, and have difficulty negotiating safer sex (condom use, for example) with their ... More money for sex with partners known to be HIV positive.. Drug and Alcohol Use. There is a strong link between exchange sex ...
Tajikistan Offers Morality Lessons To Sex Workers
But the official wants to get the point across that authorities are ready to help sex workers rebuild their lives, for example ... Unemployed and with no job qualifications, Gulsora says she was forced by circumstances to become a sex worker two years ... In an official survey conducted among women sex workers across Tajikistan by the Health Ministry in November, more than 80 ... The calls have intensified since 2013, when the authorities noted a significant rise in the number of sex workers, including ...
Sex workers petition to decriminalise prostitution
Sex workers in Thailand have launched a petition calling for prostitution to be decriminalised and urging authorities to remove ... a Thailand-based support organisation for sex workers, said the prostitution law should be repealed to allow sex workers to be ... "The sex industry generates massive income (for the country), but there is no mechanism to protect (sex workers)," Ms Surang ... does little to protect sex workers, while repeated arrests and fines for doing sex work has driven them further into poverty. ...
GHO | By indicator | Sex workers with active syphilis (%) (Sexually Transmitted Infections)
Sex workers feared to be spreading coronavirus in Japan
Sex workers feared to be spreading coronavirus in Tokyos red-light district By Lee Brown Social Links for Lee Brown * View ... Dozens of sex workers in one of Japans biggest red-light districts have been infected with the coronavirus - and are feared to ... The intimacy involved makes the spread almost inevitable - and almost impossible to trace, with the sex workers refusing to ... An estimated 300,000 people visit Kabukichos 300 sex-related businesses each day, according to The Sun. ...
Serial killer, rapist targeting sex workers in Detroit
German law endangers sex workers | openDemocracy
... is a huge step backwards for sex workers rights. ... Once a sex worker, always a sex worker. Our stigma ignored. ... We are sex workers from a variety of workplaces and backgrounds. Amongst us are street- and brothel-based sex workers, tantric ... Forcing once independent sex workers into dependence. Pretending to save precarious sex workers, the new law will actively ... affiliated or not to one or more sex workers rights groups.. As sex workers and experts on our work, conditions and lives, we ...
Prostitution Ad Ban Creeps Forward, Threatening Social Media and Sex Workers
The bill would gut Section 230 and make sex advertising a federal crime. ... Sex Trafficking Prostitution Ad Ban Creeps Forward, Threatening Social Media and Sex Workers. The bill would gut Section 230 ... he does not mention consulting with any sex workers, tech companies, sex-trafficking victims, or any groups that work directly ... and myriad other sites where sex workers advertise and/or communicate with clients-even if the sexual exchange is only alluded ...
Christian camp worker accuses employee of sex abuse
India's Four Million Sex Workers Demand Equal Labour Rights | Inter Press Service
Indias Four Million Sex Workers Demand Equal Labour Rights. By Sujoy Dhar Reprint , , Print , ... Indias Four Million Sex Workers Demand Equal Labour Rights from IPS News on Vimeo. ... policy-makers and legal advocates say that most of the countrys estimated four million commercial sex workers join the trade ... employment and providing economic and social safety nets to poor women as a means of diverting them away from the sex trade, ...
Estimating the number of sex workers in Malaysia
Sex workers are stressed, anxious and depressed amid COVID-19 pandemic | Salon.com
"Black, brown, trans and queer workers, sex workers who are housing unstable, sex workers who are chronically ill or living with ... particularly sex workers. Sex work is notoriously precarious labor, meaning many sex workers were already struggling to make ... Coombes is helping organize a mutual aid fund for sex workers in Las Vegas via GoFundMe. A quick search of "sex workers" and " ... In Brooklyn, New York, sex workers are organizing as part of the Sex Workers Outreach Project-USA (SWOP), to eventually take ...
What We Owe to the Hidden, Groundbreaking Activism of Sex Workers
Without sex workers, our activist landscape would look dramatically different-but dont expect to read about their contribution ... Tagged:activismreportedSexsex worksex worker activismshortform editorialWorkBroadly Sex WorkBroadly SexBroadly Activism ... Sex worker and activist Juno Mac of the Sex Worker Open University and the English Collective of Prostitutes explains the ... What else would have been different without sex workers?. Sex workers have also been at the forefront of public health, and ...
Amsterdam sex workers protest closing 'window' brothels - DW - 04/09/2015
... of prostitutes and their supporters have gathered in the streets of Amsterdam over intended shuttering of windows that sex ... workers use to attract clients. About 115 of those windows have already been closed. ... Amsterdam sex workers protest closing window brothels. 04/09/2015. April 9, 2015 ... However, sex workers claim shuttering deprives them of a safe place to work. ...
Oakland Rockers Copyslut Soundtrack the Fight for Sex Workers' Rights | KQED
Last June, the band performed for sex workers and their allies at a rally at Oakland City Hall organized by Bay Area Worker ... "Im transgender, so I feel like theres a lot of intersectional issues with sex workers and the queer community and trans ... James Infirmary, an LGBTQ-inclusive healthcare nonprofit serving the sex worker community. ... Dont Hate My Heels is a must-read for anyone curious about how sex workers fight for dignity and safety fits into other ...
Study to Offer Microloans to Tijuana Sex Workers - NextBillion
Female sex workers are among the populations in Tijuana that are at greatest risk for the disease, with between 5 percent and ... A study that looks at links between poverty and high-risk behavior among Tijuana sex workers will offer loans to a group of 60 ... Study to Offer Microloans to Tijuana Sex Workers. Monday, February 9, 2015 ... "We know that economic vulnerability underlies womens involvement in sex work in the first place," said Elizabeth Reed, an ...
Meals 4 Heels provides healthier options for sex workers
"Because there is such a lack of support for sex workers due to the stigma surrounding sex work, its touching to know Nikesia ... "Its important to have conversations surrounding sex work and de-stigmatizing because it creates a safer space for sex workers ... This sex worker goes by Taila. We are protecting her identity due to the nature of her work. She says Nikesia showed a care for ... Meals 4 Heels was created to serve the community of sex workers whose only options late at night are unhealthy fast food. ...
sex trade worker | News, Videos & Articles
GlobalNews.ca your source for the latest news on sex trade worker . ... sex trade worker videos and latest news articles; ... Sex Trade Worker. * Vigil held for sex trade worker allegedly ... Hamilton police announce safety alert for sex trade workers Hamilton police have announced a safety alert for local sex trade ... Home for former sex-trade workers moves to Vaudreuil area After two failed attempts, the community organization La Sortie (The ...
John Turturro: 'There are positive things about what sex workers do' | Movies | The Guardian
He explains to sex writer ,b,Karley Sciortino,/b, why he chose to explore the real exchange of sex work ... Its not often that movies shed a positive light on sex work. Sex workers are typically depicted as down-and-out victims, ... Yet as a sex writer, and someone who has interviewed sex workers in the US extensively, in my experience, that depiction is ... The story of the level-headed, successful sex worker is not one we see often. Usually its the exact opposite, and the story ...
Sex Workers' Opera - Arcola Theatre
Sex Workers Opera. FROM 17th May 2016 - 29th May 2016, SEX WORKERS OPERA WILL BE RUNNING AT THE PLEASANCE THEATRE. ... Sex Workers Opera is a unique multimedia production written and performed by sex workers and their allies. ... upliftingly human insight into the lives of sex workers around the world. ... "You say that sex is all you see, well I think you see me in 2D. because the actual reality is a mosaic blur - a tapestry." ...
Police, DA Seek to Aid Sex Workers :: Bay Area Reporter
San Franciscos policy is the first of its kind in the country, according to Carol Leigh, director of the Bay Area Sex Worker ... The Department on the Status of Women, which worked with law enforcement and local sex worker rights groups to create the ... Our policy is written in the spirit of encouraging sex workers to feel safe coming forward to law enforcement, with the ... Police are also not to arrest suspected sex workers for misdemeanor drug offenses when they report being the victim or witness ...
Supreme Court Rules LGBTQ Workers Protected Against Sex Discrimination | New Hampshire Public Radio
... ruling that the federal law that bars sex discrimination in employment applies to LGBTQ employees. ... Supreme Court delivered a victory for LGBTQ workers, ... Supreme Court Rules LGBTQ Workers Protected Against Sex ... TOTENBERG: The majority says the ordinary public meaning at the time of the enactment of this statute is that sex means sex. It ... Essentially, they argue on the definition here that on the basis of sex does not include someone who was fired for being gay or ...
Sex worker group Vixen Collective disappointed by Victorian regulation review - ABC News
An organisation representing sex workers says a Consumer Affairs Victoria review of the states sex work regulations does not ... Sex workers welcome changes to advertising rules. The proposed regulations will allow photographs of sex workers in online ... Vixen Collectives Jane Green says sex workers want to be treated the same as other Australian workers.. (Supplied). ... The Vixen Collectives Jane Green said sex workers were disappointed the review had not resulted in a recommendation that sex ...
Sex Workers Archives - Pragativadi
Supreme Court recognises sex work as a profession, asks cops to treat sex workers with dignity Haraprasad Das May 27, 2022. ... Sex Racket Busted In Odagaon; One Arrested, 2 Sex Workers Rescued Haraprasad Das Feb 13, 2021. ... It said prostitution is a profession and sex workers are entitled to dignity… ... told the police that they should neither interfere nor take criminal action against consenting sex workers. ...
sex workers | GenderIT.org
... rights of sex worker groups and sex workers. Though the law has been introduced in the United States of America, the ... Sex workers are increasingly using the Internet for finding business, organising themselves, and fighting for their rights. ... A zine on the implications of the new laws on sex trafficking that has implications for digital rights, ... Sex work and the internet. Posted Mon 13 Jan 2014 - 13:05 , 17,356 views ...
Prevalence survey on condom use and infection of urogenital mycoplasmas in female sex workers in China
... of the sex workers used condom in their last sexual intercourse, and that 2.68% did not use, 38.80% sometimes used and 58.52% ... Prevalence survey on condom use and infection of urogenital mycoplasmas in female sex workers in China Contraception. 2005 Sep; ... Results: The results showed that 87.29% of the sex workers used condom in their last sexual intercourse, and that 2.68% did not ... The infection rates of Uu, Mh and Mg were 77.78%, 34.72% and 16.67%, respectively, in sex worker subjects compared to those of ...
Coronavirus: Sex workers in one of world's largest brothel appeal for funds | Deccan Herald
Sex workers protest as French parliament examines prostitution bill - Page 1 | Mediapart
Sex workers seek end of 'walking while trans' loitering law
More than 100 current and former sex workers rallied at New Yorks Capitol on Tuesday to encourage lawmakers to repeal a ... Advocates noted that many sex workers are underage, homeless or the victims of sex abuse or human trafficking. Criminal ... Sex workers seek end of walking while trans loitering law 3 years 7 months 2 days ago Tuesday, May 07 2019 May 7, 2019 May 07 ... "People are going to say awful things to us," said Audacia Ray, a former sex worker who now advocates on their behalf. "I know ...
Commercial sexDoing sex workEngaged in sex workProstitution2020Global Network of Sex Work ProjectsNeeds of female sex workersStigma2016Local sex trade workersFormer sex workerWorkHelp sex workersStreet-based sexCondomsCondomHistory ofUnderageCoronavirusVictims of sexProstitutesInject drugsChild sexPrevalenceOutreach ProjectOral sexMake sexAIDSFemaleWomen'sProstituteSaferTransgenderWomenPopulationsQueerSWOPActivistsPrecariousPeopleAdvocatesClientsBrothelsTransSexually TransmitteMigrantInfection2018Amnesty InternationalTraffickingTraffickersIndustryPandemicHamiltonCriminalization2017SearchAuthoritiesInjection drugAdvocacy
- NEW DELHI, Jun 8 2015 (IPS) - Although forced prostitution and trafficking of women remains a huge challenge in India, health experts, policy-makers and legal advocates say that most of the country's estimated four million commercial sex workers join the trade of their own free will. (ipsnews.net)
- The paradox in the current crackdown on street-level sex work is that right alongside it, there's a world of commercial sex that's only gotten freer, more mainstream, and safer. (kalw.org)
- Tansian University, Anambra State, in partnership with the Chartered Institute of Educational Practitioners, U.K (CIEPUK), has awarded full scholarships to 5,000 repentant commercial sex workers and vulnerable people. (doreyepic.com)
- Data on STDs and sexual practices in commercial sex workers (CSWs) is in general limited in India. (who.int)
- A commercial sex worker simply identified as Chisom has been found dead in controversial circumstances in her room at a hotel (name withheld), in Onitsha, Anambra State. (punchng.com)
- Ten (7.4%) female patients have been identified as commercial sex workers. (medscape.com)
- The most important thing is to make sure that people … injecting drug users, commercial sex workers and men who have sex with men have good preventative measures in place," Dara said. (cnn.com)
- They may supply bleach to injecting drug users at shooting galleries and condoms to commercial sex workers and their customers at the hotels or locations that they frequent. (cdc.gov)
Doing sex work2
- Women and LGBT+ rights activists say the current law, which made prostitution illegal in 1960, does little to protect sex workers, while repeated arrests and fines for doing sex work has driven them further into poverty. (bangkokpost.com)
- You get caught doing sex work in order to sustain yourself and your family, and you will be deported, most likely to a country in which sex work is still criminalised and prosecuted. (opendemocracy.net)
Engaged in sex work4
- But in the delusional minds of folks like Goodlatte and Wagner, everyone engaged in sex work will simply stop if there are no web-ad platforms and all the sex traffickers will simply let their victims go. (reason.com)
- Information gathered from a victim or witness of a violent crime who is engaged in sex work or other forms of sex trade including trafficked persons will not be used in any manner to investigate and prosecute that person, during the course of the investigation or in the future," the memo said. (ebar.com)
- Police and prosecutors will work with the sheriff's department and community groups on a training program to ensure the policy's "implemented in a manner that furthers the goal of the reporting of violent crime by persons engaged in sex work and other forms of sex trade including trafficked persons," the DA's memo said. (ebar.com)
- It's fairly easy to say someone engaged in sex work who is beaten during the act should not be prosecuted for the sex work. (lamarledger.com)
- In an official survey conducted among women sex workers across Tajikistan by the Health Ministry in November, more than 80 percent of the respondents cited lack of income as their primary reason for turning to prostitution. (rferl.org)
- Sex workers in Thailand have launched a petition calling for prostitution to be decriminalised and urging authorities to remove all penalties for selling sex. (bangkokpost.com)
- Empower Foundation , a group that supports sex workers, said it hoped to collect 10,000 signatures and present the petition to parliament to help persuade lawmakers to consider changing the country's prostitution law. (bangkokpost.com)
- Surang Janyam, director of the Service Workers in Group , a Thailand-based support organisation for sex workers, said the prostitution law should be repealed to allow sex workers to be protected under labour laws. (bangkokpost.com)
- Easier for authorities to stop distinguishing between forced or underage prostitution and sex that free adults consent to have. (reason.com)
- To be guilty of an aggravated violation under Goodlatte's version, one must intend to "[promote or facilitate] the prostitution of 5 or more persons" or show "reckless disregard" for the possibility that digital content could lead to sex trafficking. (reason.com)
- San Francisco's top law enforcement agencies have agreed not to arrest or prosecute sex workers for prostitution or minor drug offenses when they report violent crimes. (ebar.com)
- The policy, spelled out in directives that Police Chief William Scott and District Attorney George Gasc n issued to their staffs, are meant to prioritize sex workers' safety over prosecuting them for misdemeanor prostitution and drug-related offenses. (ebar.com)
- Five years ago, in response to similar concerns, New York City police ended their longstanding practice of confiscating unused condoms from suspected sex workers as evidence of prostitution. (krgv.com)
- Trafficking victims may already seek to expunge prostitution charges, but not other crimes often associated with sex work and trafficking, such as trespassing or drug possession. (krgv.com)
- The Supreme Court on Thursday ordered the state to pay compensation to former sex workers at now-defunct brothels for American troops, recognizing the state's responsibility for brokering or conniving at prostitution. (koreatimes.co.kr)
- Sex workers this year detailed in a The Denver Post report the various ways that the criminalization of their work, and the stigma that comes with both legal (stripping and online content creation) and illegal (prostitution) sex work, leave them vulnerable to physical and economic harms, as well as societal isolation. (lamarledger.com)
- Conservative religion and feminism conspire to deprive people of their need for sex and intimacy, by restricting prostitution , porn, and free sex. (human-stupidity.com)
- Taking prostitution as a job, characterized by its vulnerable situation, we sought to create within the work place (the brothel) a space for discussion, among the sex workers, on themes related to their occupation, with the aim of promoting the workers' health. (bvsalud.org)
- The statute Strecker is being charged under is part of a 2013 human trafficking law that, among other things, prohibits the use of any media to promote the country as a 'tourist destination accessible for the exploitation of sexual commerce or for the prostitution of persons of any sex or age. (vice.com)
- Strecker is an unabashed fan of the prostitution industry, but he claims that all he does is run a blog devoted to advising sex tourists like himself, not telling people to become sex tourists. (vice.com)
- HIV notifications in heterosexuals, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, people who inject drugs, and female sex workers in NSW, 2015-2019 Kensington, New South Wales: The Kirby Institute for Infection and Immunity in Society, 2020. (nla.gov.au)
- Persistence on oral pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) among female sex workers in eThekwini, South Africa, 2016-2020. (bvsalud.org)
- Global burden of HPV-attributable squamous cell carcinoma of the anus in 2020, according to sex and HIV status: A worldwide analysis. (who.int)
Global Network of Sex Work Projects2
- Ruth Morgan-Thomas, from Global Network of Sex Work Projects, said the city was going in the wrong direction by closing the windows. (dw.com)
- It is based on the recommendations in the guidance document on Prevention and treatment of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections for sex workers in low- and middle-income countries published in 2012 by the World Health Organization, the United Nations Population Fund, the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS and the Global Network of Sex Work Projects. (unfpa.org)
Needs of female sex workers1
- In Malawi, we conducted a rapid ethnographic assessment to explore the context and needs of female sex workers and resources available, leading to a workshop to define the distribution approach for test kits. (bvsalud.org)
- Many persons who exchange sex face stigma, poverty, and lack of access to health care and other social services-all of which pose challenges to HIV prevention efforts. (cdc.gov)
- Because there is such a lack of support for sex workers due to the stigma surrounding sex work, it's touching to know Nikesia really cares about what we are putting as nutrition into our bodies. (wtvr.com)
- Breaking through stigma and stereotypes, Sex Workers' Opera is a unique multimedia production written and performed by sex workers and their allies. (arcolatheatre.com)
- Their purpose is to "fight back against the stigma and silence that degrades, devalues and dehumanizes sex workers and their work. (this.org)
- HIV-related stigma is also tied to and compounded by stigma and discrimination associated with sex, race and ethnicity, immigration status, poverty, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression. (hivlawandpolicy.org)
- A 2016 US State Department report found that child sex tourism was a 'serious problem' in the country and that it remains a common destination for trafficking victims. (vice.com)
Local sex trade workers2
- Hamilton police have announced a safety alert for local sex trade workers. (globalnews.ca)
- But local sex-trade workers were angry. (this.org)
Former sex worker3
- People are going to say awful things to us," said Audacia Ray, a former sex worker who now advocates on their behalf. (krgv.com)
- Desiree Collins, a former sex worker closely involved in advocacy work in Colorado, said she is skeptical that safe reporting alone will do much to help this community. (lamarledger.com)
- Former sex worker Kristen DiAngelo says this mistrust of anti-trafficking campaigns runs deep. (kalw.org)
- But the official wants to get the point across that authorities are ready to help sex workers rebuild their lives, 'for example, by offering job retraining to widen their possibility of finding work. (rferl.org)
- More than 24,000 people were arrested, prosecuted and fined for sex work-related offences last year, according to the Royal Thai Police. (bangkokpost.com)
- As sex workers and experts on our work, conditions and lives, we have been adamant from the start: the new law is most dangerous for those of us who are supposed to be 'protected' by it. (opendemocracy.net)
- We are adults and we engage in consensual sex work. (opendemocracy.net)
- Are you mentally able to understand what sex work does to you? (opendemocracy.net)
- This inherently excludes migrants, asylum seekers and many of the other most vulnerable groups in society that consciously engage in sex work to simply survive. (opendemocracy.net)
- As useful as it will be to make sure that big brothels comply with basic industry standards like the hygiene or safety for their workers, this part of the law will also make it impossible for self-organised sex workers to work together in teams of two or three in small venues. (opendemocracy.net)
- Notably, he does not mention consulting with any sex workers, tech companies, sex-trafficking victims, or any groups that work directly with sex-trafficking victims. (reason.com)
- Meanwhile, it's also been hugely useful to law enforcement and families for finding victims of exploitation (something that would be all but impossible if street-based sex work were the only option or if traffickers start turning to the dark web. (reason.com)
- Sex work is notoriously precarious labor, meaning many sex workers were already struggling to make ends meet prior to the pandemic, especially those already marginalized in society. (salon.com)
- Not only is social distancing affecting sex work, but layoffs experienced by their clients have affected the flow of work. (salon.com)
- rights, both within and outside the sex work industry. (vice.com)
- What would happen if the women involved in sex work staged a strike or refused to go to work for a while-what would the social implications be? (vice.com)
- However, sex workers claim shuttering deprives them of a safe place to work. (dw.com)
- Chatz, whose soaring voice recalls Ann Wilson of Heart and Corin Tucker of Sleater-Kinney, balances her life as a musician with sex work and activism. (kqed.org)
- I think it's really cool how Chatz is bringing that sex work element into talking about really deep stuff," says Zamora, describing the band's vulnerable yet campy live shows, which combine elements of musical theater, sexuality and rock 'n' roll. (kqed.org)
- BAWS mobilized following the controversial FOSTA/SESTA law of 2018, which-in an attempt to curb online child trafficking-shut down Backpage, Craigslist Personals and other websites where consenting, adult sex workers vetted clients, forcing some of them into much-more-dangerous outdoor work. (kqed.org)
- Martha P. Johnson, a prominent activist who emerged from the infamous Stonewall Uprising of 1969, for instance, supported her activism in the nascent gay rights movement through sex work. (kqed.org)
- We know that economic vulnerability underlies women's involvement in sex work in the first place," said Elizabeth Reed, an assistant professor at UC San Diego and the study's primary investigator. (nextbillion.net)
- PORTLAND, Ore. - Sex work is a crime throughout most of the country, though bills have been introduced to change that. (wtvr.com)
- It's important to have conversations surrounding sex work and de-stigmatizing because it creates a safer space for sex workers," Talia said. (wtvr.com)
- The heart and soul of it is sex work, not just the strip clubs, because it trickles down to other types of sex work," Nikesia said. (wtvr.com)
- I t's not often that movies shed a positive light on sex work. (theguardian.com)
- In the film, it seemed as if you were making a connection between sex work and social work. (theguardian.com)
- Why did you decide to make a movie that shows sex work in a positive light? (theguardian.com)
- Our research and direct service work in San Francisco have shown that most sex workers, and people experiencing exploitation in the sex industry, do not go to the police when they have been victimized," stated Alexandra Lutnick, senior research scientist at RTI International. (ebar.com)
- A DA's memo to the agency's staff said people suspected of being involved in the sex trade won't be prosecuted when they're victims or witnesses of the violent crimes that Scott listed, and people won't be prosecuted "for uncharged offenses" involving sex work and misdemeanor drug offenses when reporting violent crimes. (ebar.com)
- Consumer Affairs Victoria is reviewing the regulations governing sex work in the state, which are due to expire later this year. (abc.net.au)
- The Vixen Collective's Jane Green said sex workers were disappointed the review had not resulted in a recommendation that sex work be decriminalised in Victoria. (abc.net.au)
- We are updating the regulations for the sex work industry,' Ms Garrett said. (abc.net.au)
- This does not include the Sex Work Act 1994, the governing legislation for the sex work industry. (abc.net.au)
- Advertising a sex work service on radio, television, film or video recording were not allowed by the proposed regulations. (abc.net.au)
- Public consultation on the changes to the sex work regulations closes on February 26. (abc.net.au)
- This article looks at the reach and over-reach of laws related to obscenity and censorship in South Asia and the impact that has had on free speech around sex, sex work and sexuality. (genderit.org)
- For many of us, sex work has meant survival," said Jessica Raven, who said she got into sex work as a minor after running away from abuse in the foster care system. (krgv.com)
- AURORA, CO - OCTOBER 28 : Ava V. Marie, 22, a sex worker who does both legal and illegal work, puts false eyelashes at her apartment before going into work at a strip club in Aurora, Colorado on Thursday, October 28, 2021. (lamarledger.com)
- But if the person engaged in the sex work is committing some other, worse offense, is that covered? (lamarledger.com)
- Most sex work advocacy in Colorado is centered on the goal of decriminalization. (lamarledger.com)
- The notion that anyone involved in illegal sex work is exploited and would rather do something else is false but pervasive. (lamarledger.com)
- Two Christian parties and the Labour party (PvdA) are calling on the cabinet to help sex workers who find themselves in financial trouble because of the coronavirus crisis and the ban on 'contact work' - which has been extended until at least May 20. (dutchnews.nl)
- DiAngelo used to do street-level sex work, and now she advocates for young people caught in the trade. (kalw.org)
- Driving sex workers offline and onto the streets -and then arresting them for carrying condoms there-has made sex work riskier and harmed HIV prevention efforts. (positivelyaware.com)
- Sex work is one of the very few jobs available to someone with felony conviction. (positivelyaware.com)
- Those Saturdays and Sundays were when she supplemented her income with sex work. (positivelyaware.com)
- Both made sex work more dangerous by making it difficult or impossible for sex workers to screen clients online. (positivelyaware.com)
- While named to sound like a noble effort to protect people from sex trafficking, the acts haven't alleviated sex trafficking-they may have worsened the problem-and they put those who choose of their own agency to engage in sex work at much greater risk of harm. (positivelyaware.com)
- The twin bills passed, making it very risky for sex workers to go online to screen potential clients, require photo IDs, confirm safe meeting places, and negotiate their terms (cost, condom use, etc.) before meeting-all steps that make sex work safer. (positivelyaware.com)
- They see what they do as paid consensual sex between adults, and argue that the criminalization of sex work forces the trade underground and makes it ripe for trafficking and other abuses. (strike-the-root.com)
- Only 39.3% were exclusively working as sex workers while the rest had other jobs beside sex work. (who.int)
- NEISS-Work cases used for Work-RISQS estimates involve nonfatal work-related injuries among civilian, non-institutionalized workers, treated in the emergency departments of participating hospitals. (cdc.gov)
- NEISS-Work does not require a workers' compensation claim for inclusion. (cdc.gov)
- Associations between sex work laws and sex workers' health: A systematic review and meta-analysis of quantitative and qualitative studies, Lucy Platt et al. (hivlawandpolicy.org)
- Thus, constant changes in production and marketing, the workers' needs to improve their daily commitment and new updates, stress and diseases caused by the specific work activity, like exposure to heavy metals, acids, high temperatures and toxic products. (bvsalud.org)
Help sex workers1
- The three parties have also called on the government to block websites offering sexual services during the crisis and to make sure that projects to help sex workers leave the industry have enough funding. (dutchnews.nl)
- Today, Coleman works with SWOP/Tampa (Sex Workers Outreach Project/Tampa) and she founded LIPS-Tampa (Ladies Intervention Project for Success), to provide food, condoms, information and mutual support to Black transgender women and street-based sex workers. (positivelyaware.com)
- Data from Seattle, Washington, DC, Phoenix and San Antonio show that, since FOSTA-SESTA, the number of street-based sex workers has at least tripled. (positivelyaware.com)
- Condoms are highly effective in preventing a person from getting or transmitting HIV infection if used the right way every time during sex. (cdc.gov)
- Persons who exchange sex may not use condoms consistently. (cdc.gov)
- Partner type: Persons who exchange sex may use condoms less often with regular clients than with one-time clients and even less frequently with intimate partners. (cdc.gov)
- People who trade sex for drugs tend to have more clients, use condoms less often, and are more likely to share needles and other drug works. (cdc.gov)
- The results showed that 87.29% of the sex workers used condom in their last sexual intercourse, and that 2.68% did not use, 38.80% sometimes used and 58.52% used condoms every time in the last month. (nih.gov)
- In this observational study, genital mycoplasma infection was common and occurred more frequently among sex workers, and infection occurred less often when condoms were used. (nih.gov)
- Borjas walked up and down the streets in her neighborhood of Jackson Heights, handing out free condoms to sex workers. (cnn.com)
- Borjas offered to introduce her to people in the community who could benefit from those services, asking Gentili to accompany her late one night while she was distributing condoms to sex workers. (cnn.com)
- In some jurisdictions, police arrest "suspicious" people carrying more than a few condoms, citing possession or more than a couple of condoms as proof of an intention to sell sex. (positivelyaware.com)
- Survey data were collected from female sex workers in Dhaka, Bangladesh, on the use of condoms and other contraceptive methods, experiences with gender-based violence, sexual and reproductive health service needs and preferences on where to receive services. (fhi360.org)
- We are introduced to a host of sex workers, among them stunning transvestites and teenage favela boys, who are physically abused, infected with HIV, sometimes even murdered, by men who have been raised to believe that anything that gets in the way of their fucking (the church, feminists, condoms) is to be totally disregarded. (laweekly.com)
- Persons who exchange sex are at increased risk of getting or transmitting HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) because they are more likely to engage in risky sexual behaviors (e.g., sex without a condom, sex with multiple partners) and substance use. (cdc.gov)
- Economics: Persons who exchange sex may receive more money for sex without a condom. (cdc.gov)
- Power dynamics: Unequal power in a relationship with clients may make it difficult for persons who exchange sex to negotiate condom use. (cdc.gov)
- Persons who exchange sex, if under the influence of drugs or alcohol, may have impaired judgment, engage in riskier forms of sex such as anal sex, and have difficulty negotiating safer sex (condom use, for example) with their customers. (cdc.gov)
- We evaluated the prevalence of condom use and the effects of condom use on urogenital mycoplasma infection in female sex workers in Jinjiang, China. (nih.gov)
- With sex workers unable to negotiate online to require condom use and take other protective steps in advance of meeting clients, HIV transmission rates started to rise. (positivelyaware.com)
- I have sex with a sex worker with condom all the time, however the day after I noticed on my shirt two white stain on the bottom part. (medhelp.org)
- The 7th of July is a sad day in the history of sex workers rights in Germany. (opendemocracy.net)
- She said there was a history of sex workers being discriminated against by the medical profession. (abc.net.au)
- The calls have intensified since 2013, when the authorities noted a significant rise in the number of sex workers, including underage girls in the capital and other cities. (rferl.org)
- People who pay for sex with underage workers can be jailed for up to six years. (bangkokpost.com)
- Advocates noted that many sex workers are underage, homeless or the victims of sex abuse or human trafficking. (krgv.com)
- Dozens of sex workers in one of Japan's biggest red-light districts have been infected with the coronavirus - and are feared to be behind an explosion of cases that have left local hospitals "overwhelmed," according to reports. (nypost.com)
- An activist shows sex workers how to apply hand sanitizer during an awareness campaign to promote safe measures against the spread of the new Coronavirus, COVID-19. (salon.com)
- As non-essential businesses close to stop the spread of the novel coronavirus, American workers are experiencing layoffs , pay cuts, and a whole lot of financial uncertainty . (salon.com)
- While on-the-books workers are being encouraged to file for unemployment and/or possibly being aided by Congress's Families First Coronavirus Response Act , American sex workers are unlikely to benefit from either of these measures. (salon.com)
Victims of sex1
- I have experience working with HIV positive LGBTQ population, sex workers, victims of sex trafficking and clients with a range of concerns including depression, anxiety, adjustment disorder, and sexual abuse. (psychologytoday.com)
- The 'prostitutes protection law', passed 7 June by the German parliament, is a huge step backwards for sex workers rights. (opendemocracy.net)
- Hundreds of prostitutes and their supporters have gathered in the streets of Amsterdam over intended shuttering of windows that sex workers use to attract clients. (dw.com)
- Sex is a legal career in the Netherlands and we need support, we want to be taken seriously by politicians," said a spokeswoman for the prostitutes cited by Dutch press agency ANP. (dw.com)
- French lawmakers on Friday examined a bill punishing clients of prostitutes that has sparked fierce argument in a country known for its liberal attitudes to sex, reports GlobalPost . (mediapart.fr)
- Lobby group Prostitutes Information Center said on Twitter it is 'shocking' how many sex workers who are working legally and paying tax are being excluded from official help. (dutchnews.nl)
- David "Cuba Dave" Strecker is facing a year in prison for violating Costa Rica's sex tourism laws after blogging extensively about his experience with the country's prostitutes. (vice.com)
- Women or men may illegally solicit for sex or be prostitutes and these descriptions give a pretty accurate description of what is happening. (centraldistrictnews.com)
- Drunk sex with prostitutes on investigative tours. (apartmentsapart.com)
- HIV notifications in heterosexuals, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, people who inject drugs, and female sex workers in NSW, 2015-2019. (nla.gov.au)
- Hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection disproportionately affects people who inject drugs and men who have sex with men, but data on female sex workers (FSW) are limited. (who.int)
- In Brooklyn, New York, sex workers are organizing as part of the Sex Workers Outreach Project-USA (SWOP), to eventually take part in a rent strike. (salon.com)
- Members of the Bay Area chapter of the Sex Workers Outreach Project advocacy group said that while exploitation must be stopped, they are not victims. (strike-the-root.com)
- Her first guy offered her $20 for oral sex. (positivelyaware.com)
- The bill would gut Section 230 and make sex advertising a federal crime. (reason.com)
- A 2014 report by the UN agency fighting AIDS estimated that there were 123,530 sex workers in Thailand but advocacy groups put the figure at more than twice that number and say it includes tens of thousands of migrants from neighbouring Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. (bangkokpost.com)
- Sex workers have also been at the forefront of public health, and were incredibly active in the fight against HIV and AIDS. (vice.com)
- When the International AIDS Conference was held in the US in 2012, an entire satellite event was organized in India so that the many sex workers active in AIDS activism-who were banned from entering the US due to government travel restrictions for sex workers and drug users-could attend. (vice.com)
- Lorena Borjas spent decades serving transgender people, undocumented immigrants, sex workers and those living with HIV/AIDS, providing them with legal assistance and other services. (cnn.com)
- Despite numerous challenges and traumas she faced in her personal life, she never took a rest from fighting for transgender women, undocumented immigrants, sex workers and those living with HIV/AIDS. (cnn.com)
- ABSTRACT Objective: assess the knowledge of sex workers about HIV/AIDS and its influence on sexual practices. (bvsalud.org)
- Female sex workers are among the populations in Tijuana that are at greatest risk for the disease, with between 5 percent and 14 percent infected with HIV. (nextbillion.net)
- Two-hundred ninety-nine female sex workers from Jinjiang city, Jiangsu Province, were interviewed, and three mycoplasmas of Ureaplasma urealyticum (Uu), Mycoplasma hominis (Mh) and Mycoplasma genitalium (Mg) were detected by nested polymerase chain reaction in genital secretions of 72 female sex workers and 42 female patients seen with symptoms of genital infection (control group). (nih.gov)
- Mycoplasma genitalium was detected in 21 (14.1%) of 149 vaginal swab samples and in 1 (0.7%) of 149 throat washing samples from female sex workers during 2013-2014 in Japan. (cdc.gov)
- ABSTRACT Data on demographic, social and behavioural characteristics of female sex workers in greater Cairo are very scarce. (who.int)
- Most of the women I know who have paid have gone to female sex workers, and none of them have involved their mother in the process of making contact. (human-stupidity.com)
- We utilized real-world data from an HIV service provider to describe persistence on oral PrEP among female sex workers (FSW) in eThekwini, South Africa . (bvsalud.org)
- Objective To present findings from implementation and scale-up of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) self-testing programmes for female sex workers in Malawi and Zimbabwe, 2013-2018. (bvsalud.org)
- Findings In Zimbabwe, female sex workers were able to accurately self-test. (bvsalud.org)
- The preference study helped to refine systems for national scale-up through existing services for female sex workers. (bvsalud.org)
- We identified some incidents of social harm among peer distributors and female sex workers, as well as supply-side barriers to implementation which hindered uptake of testing. (bvsalud.org)
- Conclusion Involving female sex workers in planning and ongoing implementation of HIV self-testing is essential, along with strategies to mitigate potential harm. (bvsalud.org)
- 4.4%), Egypt (2.4%), Islamic Republic of Iran (9.3%), less feasible by female sex workers (FSW) ( 6 ). (who.int)
- The Correctional Bureau of the Ministry of Justice administers the adult prison system as well as the juvenile correctional system and three women's guidance homes (to rehabilitate sex workers). (wikipedia.org)
- our profession (that is "prostitute", as the word 'sex worker' is a bit too modern for the German state), our real name and address, and it will identify us as state-approved sex workers. (opendemocracy.net)
- I read a story once about a terminally ill teenaged boy whose friends hired a prostitute for him (in Australia I think) so that he could fulfill his dream of experiencing sex at least once before he died. (human-stupidity.com)
- THE HUNTER Sri Lanka is the only country is South Asia afflicted with a significant number of Westerner sex tourists, a European man, known to the police a s pedophile organized, waits in a schoolyard to meet a child prostitute. (thomaslkellyphotos.com)
- While finding alternative employment and providing economic and social safety nets to poor women as a means of diverting them away from the sex trade, advocates say that a more important step is legalizing the industry as a first step to making it a safer, healthier occupation. (ipsnews.net)
- Provide prevention guidance including considerations for safer sex . (cdc.gov)
- and men, women, and transgender persons who participate in survival sex, i.e., trading sex to meet basic needs of daily life. (cdc.gov)
- Some transgender persons may turn to exchange sex because of discrimination and lack of economic opportunities. (cdc.gov)
- I'm transgender, so I feel like there's a lot of intersectional issues with sex workers and the queer community and trans community," says bassist Eli Maliwan, a jazz saxophone instructor by day. (kqed.org)
- Johanna Breyer, executive director of St. James Infirmary, an occupational health and safety clinic that offers free medical care and other services to sex workers, stated last week, "Our hope for this policy is to reduce the harm experienced by sex workers, in particular, women of color and transgender women engaged in the sex trades, who have no protections when reporting violence, or experience mistreatment at the hands of law enforcement. (ebar.com)
- Because discrimination on the basis of homosexuality or transgender status requires an employer to intentionally treat the individual employee differently because of their sex, an employer who intentionally penalizes that employee for being homosexual or transgender also violates the federal civil rights law. (nhpr.org)
- Essentially, they argue on the definition here that on the basis of sex does not include someone who was fired for being gay or someone who was fired for being transgender. (nhpr.org)
- Online communication also introduced her to other people who were fighting for their rights as transgender women and as sex workers. (positivelyaware.com)
- Since the beginning of the epidemic in the early 1980s, men who have sex with men (MSM) and transgender people have been disproportionately affected by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). (bvsalud.org)
- Marziya, who declined to disclose her full name, is among some 30 women signed up for the new initiative to turn local sex workers away from their profession. (rferl.org)
- Forced registration through obligatory counselling includes the evaluation of one's mental status by a state authority and implies sex workers (nearly exclusively referred to as women) are perceived as irresponsible, mentally incapable beings. (opendemocracy.net)
- And-despite social seclusion-everyday women have much to thank sex workers for. (vice.com)
- contributions go as far back from the hetaera (courtesans) of ancient Greece looking to promote the education of women, to American rights activist and poet Maya Angelou, who openly wrote about her experiences as a sex worker. (vice.com)
- It also wanted to draw attention to the legitimacy and value of emotional labor of women generally, including sex workers. (vice.com)
- A study that looks at links between poverty and high-risk behavior among Tijuana sex workers will offer loans to a group of 60 women this year. (nextbillion.net)
- The Department on the Status of Women, which worked with law enforcement and local sex worker rights groups to create the policy, made the announcement January 11. (ebar.com)
- It makes no difference if there are other factors besides the plaintiff's sex contributed to the decision or that the employer treated women as a group, for example, as opposed to men as a group. (nhpr.org)
- Odogaon: Police busted a sex racket operating near Akharia village under Odagaon police limits while arresting a man and rescuing two women engaged in the flesh trade. (pragativadi.com)
- A Lan is one of many women from China who migrated to the U.S. hoping to find better lives, but have ended up working in massage parlors providing sex to customers. (aaww.org)
- It makes me feel safe to have an organization in my town that is sex-positive and defends the rights of women to use their bodies in any way they wish in consenting sexual situations. (this.org)
- Located in Pattaya, a city with an estimated 50,000 sex workers, the home will provide a new beginning for women who have been forced by poverty into the sex industry. (thekcompany.co)
- We surveyed 1886 women aged ≥ 18 years from Haiphong, Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City who had sold sex in the last month. (who.int)
- Both women were also sex workers. (gaycitynews.com)
- The findings demonstrate that self-injection can address the stubborn problem of early contraceptive discontinuation and that community health workers can safely train women to self-inject. (fhi360.org)
- Eighty percent of Beijing's industrial workers, for example, are migrants, mostly young women from the countryside, who labor at sub-minimum wages aimed at satisfying the competitive needs of Chinese and world capitalism. (socialistaction.org)
- But if reproductive gender differences were truly seen as innate and not just a choice by women, we'd have to address the kinds of questions we do about the need for sleep: Firms are not allowed to keep workers working 24 hours a day without rest. (blogspot.com)
- Women at high risk for HIV infection, including injection drug users and women with multiple sex partners during their pregnancy, should be retested in their third trimester. (medscape.com)
- He oversaw national HIV awareness campaigns targeted to men who have sex with men, migrant farm worker populations, and Hispanic/Latinos. (cdc.gov)
- Black, brown, trans and queer workers, sex workers who are housing unstable, sex workers who are chronically ill or living with disabilities are all particularly at risk for negative impacts," Coombes said. (salon.com)
- This is happening in a climate of increasing criminalization against queer sex workers. (vice.com)
- With all three band members identifying as queer or trans, a crucial part of Copyslut's mission is illuminating the role sex workers have played in the LGBTQ liberation movement from the beginning. (kqed.org)
- Molly Simmons, a chapter representative of SWOP, told Salon that the timing of the this global pandemic makes it particularly difficult for sex workers because January and February are typically slower months. (salon.com)
- In this file photo, activists supporting ex-sex workers who served U.S. troops hold a press conference in front of a court in Seoul on Feb. 8, 2018. (koreatimes.co.kr)
- Some HIV and human rights activists pitched in on sex workers' efforts to block FOSTA-SESTA, but it was not enough. (positivelyaware.com)
- Pretending to 'save' precarious sex workers, the new law will actively abolish self-organised small workplaces by forcing brothel owners to obtain permission for their establishments. (opendemocracy.net)
- The Las Vegas Strip has shut down, putting service workers in a precarious situation - particularly sex workers. (salon.com)
- The term "people who exchange sex for money or nonmonetary items" (hereinafter referred to as "people who exchange sex") includes a broad range of persons who trade sex for income or other items including food, drugs, medicine, and shelter. (cdc.gov)
- It is important for people who exchange sex to get tested for HIV regularly and know their status. (cdc.gov)
- An estimated 300,000 people visit Kabukicho's 300 sex-related businesses each day, according to The Sun . (nypost.com)
- There are no official figures on how many sex workers exist globally, with estimates roughly running between 13.8 and 30 million people. (vice.com)
- In a bulletin Scott issued to his department in December, he said that people are not to be arrested for being involved in sex trade when they're victims or witnesses of sexual assault or other assaults, human trafficking, stalking, robbery, threats, and other violent crimes. (ebar.com)
- And the question here, both for the people who ruled in the majority and the minority, was - does being fired for being gay, for example, count as a discrimination against you on the basis of sex? (nhpr.org)
- An organisation representing sex workers says a review of regulations in Victoria does not address the needs of people working in the industry. (abc.net.au)
- ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - More than 100 current and former sex workers rallied at New York's Capitol on Tuesday to encourage lawmakers to repeal a loitering law they say police use to harass people simply for their appearance. (krgv.com)
- But there are critics who say it does more harm than good, by entangling more people in the criminal justice system-both alleged clients, trafficking victims and sex workers alike. (kalw.org)
- One criticism from sex worker advocates is that law enforcement treats everyone trading sex like a victim of trafficking, even people who are acting on their own will. (kalw.org)
- I was walking the streets of Flushing, looking for people I could interview for a social research project I was doing for a university about immigrant sex workers working in massage parlors in New York City. (aaww.org)
- Our neighbourhood was like many other Canadian neighbourhoods: some people believe sex is for fun and pleasure, whereas others believe sex is specifically for making babies. (this.org)
- I really love the idea of sex workers giving disabled people the chance to be touched in a non-medical way, perhaps for the first time in their lives, to be held in a warm pair of arms and have their sexual dreams respected and lived out. (human-stupidity.com)
- A forthcoming Channel 4 documentary, Can Have Sex Will Have Sex , features the sex lives of four disabled people, one of whom loses his virginity to an escort who has been hired by his mother. (human-stupidity.com)
- Last June, the band performed for sex workers and their allies at a rally at Oakland City Hall organized by Bay Area Worker Support (BAWS), a group that advocates for sex workers' health and safety. (kqed.org)
- A lot of sex-worker advocates see this "victim treatment" as an improvement from "criminal treatment," but it can still be a form of control. (kalw.org)
- If H.R. 1865 becomes law, the FBI would be able to prosecute Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Craigslist, and myriad other sites where sex workers advertise and/or communicate with clients-even if the sexual exchange is only alluded to and never completed. (reason.com)
- As someone who is a full service sex worker, I don't actually see that many clients and I'm used to huge dips in income. (salon.com)
- I provide sex service for male clients. (aaww.org)
- But almost five months later, Bekky has come to realise that making it big as a sex worker in Lagos goes beyond the various styles you can offer clients. (punchng.com)
- The hundred or so sex workers who have profiles on the site say they each see about eight disabled clients a month. (human-stupidity.com)
- 95% CI: 1.2-4.0) and having over 10 sex clients in the last month (aOR = 2.2, 95% CI: 1.3-3.7) were independently associated with HCV exposure. (who.int)
- Such formal equality will be cold comfort to the sex workers who have been fighting for the kind of societal acceptance their clients have enjoyed for years. (walnet.org)
- found that clients sought sex workers although male sex role nity. (psm.edu)
- The objective of this document is to provide technical recommendations on effective interventions for the prevention and treatment of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs) among sex workers and their clients. (bvsalud.org)
- Workers who decide to share a small workspace will be judged the same as huge brothels. (opendemocracy.net)
- Upholding a lower court's ruling, the top court ordered the state to pay between 3 million and 7 million won ($2,086-$4,866) in compensation each to a total of 95 former sex workers from such brothels at villages around U.S. military bases, known as "base villages" or "Gijichon" in Korean. (koreatimes.co.kr)
- Of course, from the late 1800s through the late 1920s, Jewish pimps filled brothels in South America with Jewish girls taken from the same areas of Russia and Ukraine the current non-Jewish sex slaves are stolen from. (typepad.com)
- Strecker first made a name for himself on sex tourist forums and internet groups, where he detailed his experience touring the brothels and bars of Cuba and the Dominican Republic. (vice.com)
- Despite the fact that the Stonewall riots were sparked by Sylvia Rivera , a trans sex worker, the Stonewall organization has yet to come out with a pro-decriminalization policy. (vice.com)
- Sex workers would prefer that reproductive health services integrate into drop-in centers where they go for sexually transmitted infections and HIV-related care. (fhi360.org)
- The infection rates of Uu, Mh and Mg were 77.78%, 34.72% and 16.67%, respectively, in sex worker subjects compared to those of controls at 59.52%, 9.62% and 21.43%, respectively. (nih.gov)
- Those interviewed reported an average of nine syringe-sharing partners, sex partners, or other social contacts who might be at risk for HIV infection. (medscape.com)
- Of the 128 contacts who have not yet been located, 74 (57.8%) have been identified as syringe-sharing or sex partners, and 54 (42.2%) are social contacts regarded as at high risk for HIV infection. (medscape.com)
- Then, in April 2018, the U.S. Congress passed the Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act (FOSTA) and the Stop Enabling Sex Traffickers Act (SESTA). (positivelyaware.com)
- Here is why: despite severe warnings by human rights groups like Amnesty International , Deutsche Aidshilfe , Hydra , the national sex workers' professional organisation and many more experts, the new law will enforce mandatory registration of sex workers nationwide. (opendemocracy.net)
- The police officials focused on the dangers sex workers faced, including becoming victims of human trafficking. (rferl.org)
- Advertisements rarely, if ever, will say the person advertised is a 'victim of sex trafficking,'" Goodlatte lamented. (reason.com)
- During Tuesday's meeting, Rep. Jerry Nadler (D-New York) was the only committee member who expressed reservations about the bill, saying he was concerned that it had not been fully vetted, did not have support from surivors of sex trafficking or other relevant stakeholders, did not provide "appropriate protection for civil liberties," and could be redundant in light of a similar bill . (reason.com)
- A zine on the implications of the new laws on sex trafficking that has implications for digital rights, rights of sex worker groups and sex workers. (genderit.org)
- Decrim NY also supports legislation before lawmakers that would make it easier for former sex workers and trafficking victims to expunge convictions from their records if they were forced to commit the crime by traffickers. (krgv.com)
- Sex workers argue their community can be kept safe while staying tough on sex trafficking and human trafficking. (lamarledger.com)
- As part of its commitment to fight sex trafficking and modern slavery, World Help recently launched Freedom Friday , a new campaign to fight sexual slavery. (thekcompany.co)
- Ms Boom is a low-profile worker against child- and sex-trafficking in the North. (bangkokpost.com)
- We understand that many times sex workers are themselves victims of predators and human traffickers. (ebar.com)
- Although predominantly Buddhist and deeply conservative, Thailand is home to an extensive sex industry, largely catering to Thai men. (bangkokpost.com)
- The sex industry generates massive income (for the country), but there is no mechanism to protect (sex workers)," Ms Surang said. (bangkokpost.com)
- those in the sex industry have no healthy options to eat late at night. (wtvr.com)
- The campaign asks individuals to take a "one-night stand for freedom" by giving up their evening entertainment Friday, May 19 , and donating its monetary worth to help girls trapped in the sex industry find freedom. (thekcompany.co)
- Strecker maintains his site was nothing more than a travel blog created to advise the single male tourist, but prosecutors say he was purposefully promoting the country to fellow gringos to come and take advantage of the legal pay-for-sex industry. (vice.com)
- Workers are not restricted by age, employer size, or type of employer or industry. (cdc.gov)
- It has been claimed that whenever these limits have been implemented in a particular industry, no worker has been shown to have sustained serious adverse effects on his health as a result of exposure to these concentrations of an industrial chemical (7). (cdc.gov)
- Overall, the public needs to know that not only are sex workers being hit hard by the spread of this virus and response to a growing global pandemic, but also how sex workers are missing from a lot of general conversations about supporting workers through self-isolation. (salon.com)
- I noticed that a) there were lots of sex-trade operations near our house- for instance, massage parlours and the Hamilton Strip strip club-and b) there were also two anti-abortion establishments nearby. (this.org)
- Big Susie's is (to quote their website) "a working group by and for sex workers in Hamilton and the surrounding area. (this.org)
- But, as always, we persevere, and all over the world sex workers are fighting against their own criminalization. (vice.com)
- has fal en by more than 51% since of new HIV infections in 2017 oc- the peak in 2004 (Fig. 17.1). (who.int)
- A quick search of "sex workers" and "COVID-19" on GoFundMe reveals many others have turned to the online fundraising platform. (salon.com)
- An exclusive story NBC 5 shared on Wednesday has left many in disbelief: men in search of sex workers being lured to an innocent woman's home. (nbcdfw.com)
- In Khatlon, authorities have registered some 70 sex workers detained in police raids, although they believe the real numbers are much higher. (rferl.org)
- How to Deal With Law Enforcement Authorities for a Sex Crime Charge? (justicesnows.com)
- If you have been charged with a sex crime, you may be wondering how to deal with the law enforcement authorities. (justicesnows.com)
- [ 98 , 99 ] Retesting annually or more often is recommended for those at high risk because of injection drug use, sex with an injection drug user, sex for money or drugs, sex since their most recent HIV test with men who have sex with men, or sex since their most recent HIV test with more than 1 person. (medscape.com)
- San Francisco's policy is the first of its kind in the country, according to Carol Leigh, director of the Bay Area Sex Worker Advocacy Network. (ebar.com)