Maleness or femaleness as a constituent element or influence contributing to the production of a result. It may be applicable to the cause or effect of a circumstance. It is used with human or animal concepts but should be differentiated from SEX CHARACTERISTICS, anatomical or physiological manifestations of sex, and from SEX DISTRIBUTION, the number of males and females in given circumstances.
A soft, loose-fitting polyurethane sheath, closed at one end, with flexible rings at both ends. The device is inserted into the vagina by compressing the inner ring and pushing it in. Properly positioned, the ring at the closed end covers the cervix, and the sheath lines the walls of the vagina. The outer ring remains outside the vagina, covering the labia. (Med Lett Drugs Ther 1993 Dec 24;35(12):123)
Disorder characterized by recurrent, intense sexually arousing fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors involving cross-dressing in a heterosexual male. The fantasies, urges, or behaviors cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational or other areas of functioning. (from APA, DSM-IV, 1994)
Sexually Transmitted Diseases, Viral
Health Knowledge, Attitudes, Practice
The process of bargaining in order to arrive at an agreement or compromise on a matter of importance to the parties involved. It also applies to the hearing and determination of a case by a third party chosen by the parties in controversy, as well as the interposing of a third party to reconcile the parties in controversy.
A republic in western Africa, south of NIGER and between TOGO and NIGERIA. Its capital is Porto-Novo. It was formerly called Dahomey. In the 17th century it was a kingdom in the southern area of Africa. Coastal footholds were established by the French who deposed the ruler by 1892. It was made a French colony in 1894 and gained independence in 1960. Benin comes from the name of the indigenous inhabitants, the Bini, now more closely linked with southern Nigeria (Benin City, a town there). Bini may be related to the Arabic bani, sons. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p136, 310 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p60)
One of the Indian Ocean Islands off the southeast coast of Africa. Its capital is Antananarivo. It was formerly called the Malagasy Republic. Discovered by the Portuguese in 1500, its history has been tied predominantly to the French, becoming a French protectorate in 1882, a French colony in 1896, and a territory within the French union in 1946. The Malagasy Republic was established in the French Community in 1958 but it achieved independence in 1960. Its name was changed to Madagascar in 1975. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p714)
Agricultural Workers' Diseases
Diseases in persons engaged in cultivating and tilling soil, growing plants, harvesting crops, raising livestock, or otherwise engaged in husbandry and farming. The diseases are not restricted to farmers in the sense of those who perform conventional farm chores: the heading applies also to those engaged in the individual activities named above, as in those only gathering harvest or in those only dusting crops.
Human Rights Abuses
Air Pollutants, Occupational
The science, art, or technology dealing with processes involved in the separation of metals from their ores, the technique of making or compounding the alloys, the techniques of working or heat-treating metals, and the mining of metals. It includes industrial metallurgy as well as metallurgical techniques employed in the preparation and working of metals used in dentistry, with special reference to orthodontic and prosthodontic appliances. (From Jablonski, Dictionary of Dentistry, 1992, p494)
Interviews as Topic
Sexually Transmitted Diseases, Bacterial
A republic in the Greater Antilles in the West Indies. Its capital is Santo Domingo. With Haiti, it forms the island of Hispaniola - the Dominican Republic occupying the eastern two thirds, and Haiti, the western third. It was created in 1844 after a revolt against the rule of President Boyer over the entire island of Hispaniola, itself visited by Columbus in 1492 and settled the next year. Except for a brief period of annexation to Spain (1861-65), it has been independent, though closely associated with the United States. Its name comes from the Spanish Santo Domingo, Holy Sunday, with reference to its discovery on a Sunday. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p338, 506 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p151)
The homologous chromosomes that are dissimilar in the heterogametic sex. There are the X CHROMOSOME, the Y CHROMOSOME, and the W, Z chromosomes (in animals in which the female is the heterogametic sex (the silkworm moth Bombyx mori, for example)). In such cases the W chromosome is the female-determining and the male is ZZ. (From King & Stansfield, A Dictionary of Genetics, 4th ed)
Healthy Worker Effect
Human immunodeficiency virus. A non-taxonomic and historical term referring to any of two species, specifically HIV-1 and/or HIV-2. Prior to 1986, this was called human T-lymphotropic virus type III/lymphadenopathy-associated virus (HTLV-III/LAV). From 1986-1990, it was an official species called HIV. Since 1991, HIV was no longer considered an official species name; the two species were designated HIV-1 and HIV-2.
Statistical models which describe the relationship between a qualitative dependent variable (that is, one which can take only certain discrete values, such as the presence or absence of a disease) and an independent variable. A common application is in epidemiology for estimating an individual's risk (probability of a disease) as a function of a given risk factor.
Studies in which subsets of a defined population are identified. These groups may or may not be exposed to factors hypothesized to influence the probability of the occurrence of a particular disease or other outcome. Cohorts are defined populations which, as a whole, are followed in an attempt to determine distinguishing subgroup characteristics.
Nonionic surfactant mixtures varying in the number of repeating ethoxy (oxy-1,2-ethanediyl) groups. They are used as detergents, emulsifiers, wetting agents, defoaming agents, etc. Nonoxynol-9, the compound with 9 repeating ethoxy groups, is a spermatocide, formulated primarily as a component of vaginal foams and creams.
A republic stretching from the Indian Ocean east to New Guinea, comprising six main islands: Java, Sumatra, Bali, Kalimantan (the Indonesian portion of the island of Borneo), Sulawesi (formerly known as the Celebes) and Irian Jaya (the western part of New Guinea). Its capital is Djakarta. The ethnic groups living there are largely Chinese, Arab, Eurasian, Indian, and Pakistani; 85% of the peoples are of the Islamic faith.
Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome
An acquired defect of cellular immunity associated with infection by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), a CD4-positive T-lymphocyte count under 200 cells/microliter or less than 14% of total lymphocytes, and increased susceptibility to opportunistic infections and malignant neoplasms. Clinical manifestations also include emaciation (wasting) and dementia. These elements reflect criteria for AIDS as defined by the CDC in 1993.
A province of Canada on the Pacific coast. Its capital is Victoria. The name given in 1858 derives from the Columbia River which was named by the American captain Robert Gray for his ship Columbia which in turn was named for Columbus. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p178 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p81-2)
A kingdom in the eastern Himalayas on the northeast border of India, bounded on the north by Tibet, on the east by Assam, on the south by Assam and West Bengal, and on the west by Sikkim and Tibet. From 1720 to 1970 it was under Chinese or Indian domination. In 1971 it became a member of the United Nations. The name comes from the Sanskrit bhota, the name for Tibet, + anta, end, with reference to its location at the southern extremity of Tibet. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p144 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p64)
Herpesvirus 2, Human
Age as a constituent element or influence contributing to the production of a result. It may be applicable to the cause or the effect of a circumstance. It is used with human or animal concepts but should be differentiated from AGING, a physiological process, and TIME FACTORS which refers only to the passage of time.
Sex Determination Analysis
Procedures for finding the mathematical function which best describes the relationship between a dependent variable and one or more independent variables. In linear regression (see LINEAR MODELS) the relationship is constrained to be a straight line and LEAST-SQUARES ANALYSIS is used to determine the best fit. In logistic regression (see LOGISTIC MODELS) the dependent variable is qualitative rather than continuously variable and LIKELIHOOD FUNCTIONS are used to find the best relationship. In multiple regression, the dependent variable is considered to depend on more than a single independent variable.
Vaginal Creams, Foams, and Jellies
Medicated dosage forms for topical application in the vagina. A cream is a semisolid emulsion containing suspended or dissolved medication; a foam is a dispersion of a gas in a medicated liquid resulting in a light, frothy mass; a jelly is a colloidal semisolid mass of a water soluble medicated material, usually translucent.
Risk Reduction Behavior
Work Schedule Tolerance
Disorders of Sex Development
In gonochoristic organisms, congenital conditions in which development of chromosomal, gonadal, or anatomical sex is atypical. Effects from exposure to abnormal levels of GONADAL HORMONES in the maternal environment, or disruption of the function of those hormones by ENDOCRINE DISRUPTORS are included.
Extraction and Processing Industry
Insects of the family Formicidae, very common and widespread, probably the most successful of all the insect groups. All ants are social insects, and most colonies contain three castes, queens, males, and workers. Their habits are often very elaborate and a great many studies have been made of ant behavior. Ants produce a number of secretions that function in offense, defense, and communication. (From Borror, et al., An Introduction to the Study of Insects, 4th ed, p676)
The ratio of two odds. The exposure-odds ratio for case control data is the ratio of the odds in favor of exposure among cases to the odds in favor of exposure among noncases. The disease-odds ratio for a cohort or cross section is the ratio of the odds in favor of disease among the exposed to the odds in favor of disease among the unexposed. The prevalence-odds ratio refers to an odds ratio derived cross-sectionally from studies of prevalent cases.
Disease Transmission, Infectious
Created as the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes in 1918. Yugoslavia became the official name in 1929. BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA; CROATIA; and SLOVENIA formed independent countries 7 April 1992. Macedonia became independent 8 February 1994 as the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (MACEDONIA REPUBLIC).
A high-molecular-weight polymeric elastomer derived from the milk juice (LATEX) of HEVEA brasiliensis and other trees and plants. It is a substance that can be stretched at room temperature to at least twice its original length and after releasing the stress, retract rapidly, and recover its original dimensions fully.
Reproductive Tract Infections
Monitoring of rate of occurrence of specific conditions to assess the stability or change in health levels of a population. It is also the study of disease rates in a specific cohort such as in a geographic area or population subgroup to estimate trends in a larger population. (From Last, Dictionary of Epidemiology, 2d ed)
A diffuse parenchymal lung disease caused by inhalation of dust and by tissue reaction to their presence. These inorganic, organic, particulate, or vaporized matters usually are inhaled by workers in their occupational environment, leading to the various forms (ASBESTOSIS; BYSSINOSIS; and others). Similar air pollution can also have deleterious effects on the general population.
Maximum Allowable Concentration
The maximum exposure to a biologically active physical or chemical agent that is allowed during an 8-hour period (a workday) in a population of workers, or during a 24-hour period in the general population, which does not appear to cause appreciable harm, whether immediate or delayed for any period, in the target population. (From Lewis Dictionary of Toxicology, 1st ed)
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
A spectrum of inflammation involving the female upper genital tract and the supporting tissues. It is usually caused by an ascending infection of organisms from the endocervix. Infection may be confined to the uterus (ENDOMETRITIS), the FALLOPIAN TUBES; (SALPINGITIS); the ovaries (OOPHORITIS), the supporting ligaments (PARAMETRITIS), or may involve several of the above uterine appendages. Such inflammation can lead to functional impairment and infertility.
Infectious Disease Transmission, Patient-to-Professional
The largest of the continents. It was known to the Romans more specifically as what we know today as Asia Minor. The name comes from at least two possible sources: from the Assyrian asu (to rise) or from the Sanskrit usa (dawn), both with reference to its being the land of the rising sun, i.e., eastern as opposed to Europe, to the west. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p82 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p34)
Toxic, volatile, flammable liquid hydrocarbon byproduct of coal distillation. It is used as an industrial solvent in paints, varnishes, lacquer thinners, gasoline, etc. Benzene causes central nervous system damage acutely and bone marrow damage chronically and is carcinogenic. It was formerly used as parasiticide.
Health Services Accessibility
A study of HIV/AIDS related knowledge, attitude and behaviors among female sex workers in Shanghai China. (1/284)(+info)
'Relief of oppression': an organizing principle for researchers' obligations to participants in observational studies in the developing world. (2/284)(+info)
Knowledge of HIV seropositivity is a predictor for initiation of illicit drug use: incidence of drug use initiation among female sex workers in a high HIV-prevalence area of China. (3/284)(+info)
Anal sex, vaginal practices, and HIV incidence in female sex workers in urban Kenya: implications for the development of intravaginal HIV prevention methods. (4/284)(+info)
A multilevel analysis of the impact of socio-structural and environmental influences on condom use among female sex workers. (5/284)(+info)
Prevalence and correlates of 'agua celeste' use among female sex workers who inject drugs in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. (6/284)(+info)
HIV, STI prevalence and risk behaviours among women selling sex in Lahore, Pakistan. (7/284)(+info)
Interest in low-threshold employment among people who inject illicit drugs: implications for street disorder. (8/284)(+info)
Determinants Of Sustained Virological Suppression In HIV-1 Infected Female Sex Workers In The Sex Worker Outreach Project (Swop...
The goal of anti-retroviral therapy is to stem the replication of HIV virus to a point below which drug fighting mutation do not emerge, restore and preserve immune function, reduce AIDS-related events and improve the life span of the patient. By the end of 2016, there were 1.5 million PLWH in Kenya, with 59% on ART. Nairobi carries the highest population of sex workers, a key population in HIV transmission. The rate of viral suppression among PLWH on ART (74%) in Nairobi County stands at 41%. For a County with approximately 39,494 sex workers whose HIV prevalence is high (29.3% among female sex workers and 18.2% among male who have sex with men) relative to the County prevalence, theres need to improve the rate of viral suppression. The objective of the study was to determine factors influencing sustained viral load suppression in female sex workers initiated into care at the sex worker outreach project in Nairobi. This was a retrospective cohort study using secondary data collected from HIV ...
Transgender sex workers, male sex workers, a call for a Global Fund review of key population programming, and an American...
The Needs and Rights of Trans Sex Workers - With high prevalence of HIV, targeted for violence, often living undocumented and having fled their countries of origin to escape even greater threats, transgender sex workers face tremendous health risks and vulnerabilities, but find health care inaccessible or harmful, this briefing paper from the Global Network of Sex Projects says. Examining legal, economic, cultural and programming abuses at what can be described as an intersection of whorephobia and transphobia, the paper presents needs and barriers as expressed by transgender sex workers in groups and through questionnaires.. The Needs and Rights of Male Sex Workers - Assumed to be gay, or to identify as gay, male sex workers face additional challenges accessing appropriate health information and services, while also facing exceptional vulnerabilities to HIV, violence and imprisonment. Another briefing paper from the Global Network of Sex Projects examines challenges, advocacy and activism on ...
Factors influencing incidence of hiv/aids among female sex workers: The case of Imenti north sub county, Meru county, Kenya
In a world where the overwhelming majority of HIV infections are sexually transmitted, sex workers are at a heightened risk of HIV infection. According to Nascop (2010) in Kenya, 1.3 million people aged between 15-64 years are living with HIV with a national prevalence of 7.1%. Although links between sex work and HIV vulnerability have been recognized since the earliest of days, surveys indicate that sex workers have inadequate access to HIV prevention services and it is believed that their access is even more limited for appropriate care, treatment and support. To date, HIV response has devoted insufficient attention and resources to efforts to address HIV and sex work, with less than 1% of global funding for HIV prevention being spent on HIV and sex work (UNAIDS:2012). The study focused on the incidence of HIV/AIDS among female sex workers in Imenti North sub county, Meru County. The study sought to understand the factors contributing to the incidence of HIV/AIDS among female sex workers in ...
Risk behaviours among internet-facilitated sex workers: evidence from two new datasets | Sexually Transmitted Infections
Sex workers have historically played a central role in STI outbreaks by forming a core group for transmission and due to their higher rates of concurrency and inconsistent condom usage. Over the past 15 years, North American commercial sex markets have been radically reorganised by internet technologies that channelled a sizeable share of the marketplace online. These changes may have had a meaningful impact on the role that sex workers play in STI epidemics. In this study, two new datasets documenting the characteristics and practices of internet-facilitated sex workers are presented and analysed. The first dataset comes from a ratings website where clients share detailed information on over 94 000 sex workers in over 40 cities between 1999 and 2008. The second dataset reflects a year-long field survey of 685 sex workers who advertise online. Evidence from these datasets suggests that internet-facilitated sex workers are dissimilar from the street-based workers who largely populated the ...
Legalisation of sex work associated with lower prevalence of HIV in sex workers | aidsmap
In countries where sex work is partly legalised, sex worker HIV prevalence was lower than in countries where sex work is criminalised (β= -2.09). Specifically, the average prevalence in ten countries where the practice is illegal was 4.0%, compared to 0.5% in 17 countries where some aspects of sex work have been legalised.. HIV prevalence remained lower in countries that legalise some aspects of sex work after adjusting for gross domestic product (β= -1.86) and after adjusting for the prevalence of injecting drug use among sex workers (β= -1.93). Neither GDP nor the proportion of sex workers who inject drugs was associated with HIV prevalence after controlling for sex work policy.. Germany, the one country which has legalised all aspects of sex work had a lower prevalence (after adjustment) than countries with more restrictive policies, although it is hard to generalise on the basis of one case. It is also hard to draw specific conclusions about the two Nordic model countries, especially as ...
Risk of sexually transmitted infections and violence among indoor-working female sex workers in London: the effect of migration...
Studies in the UK and Europe have reported exploitation, violence, drug use and sexual risk behaviours associated with sex work.1 2 It is not clear how or indeed whether migration increases vulnerability to these and other adverse outcomes. International studies from high- and middle-income countries have shown higher rates of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs) among migrant than non-migrant sex workers,3 4 as well as increased drug use,5 termination of pregnancies,6 anal sex and unprotected sex,7 factors associated with increased risk of HIV and STI. Other evidence suggests that migrant sex workers are no more likely to engage in risk behaviours than indigenous sex workers.8. In the UK, sex worker support services report marked increases in the proportion of migrant women working in the UK sex industry, coinciding largely with the expansion of the European Union. This is particularly the case in London, where an estimated 76% of service users are migrants, of which ...
Press Release: Sex workers flood to Durban for the International Aids Conference: to fight for our lives! | SWEAT
18 July 2016. Sex Workers Education and Advocacy Taskforce and Sisonke, National Movement of Sex Workers in South Africa will be holding a demonstration outside the International Convention Centre (ICC), Monday 18 July 2016. The demonstration coincides with the first official day of the International Aids Conference 2016.. While governments, academics and activists meet to strategise the fight against HIV, we must not forget that sex workers form the frontline of this battle. As long as sex work remains criminalised and stigmatised, this is a battle that cannot be won.. The demonstration pays deference to sex workers who have been murdered and who have borne the brunt of a law that serves to put them in danger and allows violence to be perpetrated with impunity. These senseless laws have now been under investigation for 19 years. In this time the evidence has been made clear that the decriminalisation of sex work is the best legal model to ensure healthcare and justice services to sex workers. ...
How Facebook is Outing Sex Workers
If you are a sex worker, or you have anything to hide from your family and friends, you may want to reconsider being on Facebook.com.. Sex workers who have public Facebook.com accounts are horrified to learn that their secret identities are being revealed to family and friends.. Gizmodo.com interviewed a sex worker - identified only as Leila - who went to great lengths to use a different name, different telephone number, and a different email address for her public Facebook account.. Despite all her precautions, Facebook presented her clients to her via the People You May Know recommendations.. Now her sex work clients know her real identity.. Its not just sex workers who are careful to shield their identities, Leila told Gizmodo via Skype. The people who hire sex workers are also very concerned with anonymity so theyre using alternative emails and alternative names. And sometimes they have phones that they only use for this, for hiring women. You have two ends of people using ...
ICM Archives - International Union of Sex Workers International Union of Sex Workers
Press release from The International Union of Sex Workers on Amnesty Internationals Decision to Adopt Policy on the Human Rights of Sex Workers 12 August 2015 The IUSW is deeply grateful to Amnesty International for adopting policy to protect the human rights of sex workers. In doing so, Amnesty has listened to hundreds of […]. ...
Prevalence of Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Hepatitis C in a Survey of Female Sex Workers in the North-East of Italy ...
A key issue in the prevention and control of Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD) is to provide access to health centres, and in diagnosing and treating STD. The present study is aimed to assess the prevalence of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and Hepatitis C virus (HCV) in a population of immigrant female sex workers (FSWs). We conducted a cross sectional survey of FSWs working in Verona, North-eastern Italy. Screening test included serology for STDs [including Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), syphilis and Hepatitis B virus (HBV)] and hepatitis C virus (HCV).. Sixteen out of 345 (4.6%) street FSWs screened during 1999-2007 resulted positive for HIV, 12 (3.5%) were positive for HBsAg, 7 (2.0%) were positive for syphilis serological test, and 3 (0.9%) were positive for HCV. Comparison of the prevalence data between women from Africa (286/345, 82.8%) and other countries showed no statistical difference for HIV infection (R.R. 1.44; 95% CI, 0.34-6.19) and for presence of HBsAg (R.R. 2.27; ...
Feasibility and Acceptability of Cell Phone Diaries to Measure HIV Risk Behavior Among Female Sex Workers
Abstract Individual, social, and structural factors affecting HIV risk behaviors among female sex workers (FSWs) are difficult to assess using retrospective surveys methods. To test the feasibility and acceptability of cell phone diaries to collect information about sexual events, we recruited 26 FSWs in Indianapolis, Indiana (US).
A Prospective Cohort Study of Fertility Desire, Unprotected Sex, and Detectable Viral Load in HIV-Positive Female Sex Workers...
Wilson KS, Wanje G, Masese L, Simoni JM, Shafi J, Adala L, Overbaugh J, Jaoko W, Richardson BA, McClelland RS. A Prospective Cohort Study of Fertility Desire, Unprotected Sex, and Detectable Viral Load in HIV-Positive Female Sex Workers in Mombasa, Kenya. J. Acquir. Immune Defic. Syndr.. 2018;78(3):276-282 ...
Indigenous primary health care: PI15b-Proportion of regular clients with Type II diabetes or COPD who are immunised against...
Proportion of regular clients who are Indigenous, aged 15-49 years, are recorded as having Type II diabetes or COPD and are immunised against influenza. Regular client refers to a client of an OATSIH-funded primary health care service (that is required to report against the Indigenous primary health care key performance indicators) who has an active medical record; that is, a client who has attended the OATSIH-funded primary health care service at least 3 times in 2 years.. A client is considered to be immunised against influenza if they have received an influenza vaccination in the previous year.. Presented as a number. ...
Indigenous primary health care: PI12a-Number of regular clients who are classified as overweight or obese, 2020-2021
Count of regular clients who are Indigenous, aged 25 and over and who have had their BMI classified as overweight or obese within the previous 24 months.. Regular client refers to a client of an Australian Government Department of Health-funded primary health-care service (that is required to report against the Indigenous primary health care key performance indicators) who has an active medical record; that is, a client who has attended the Department of Health-funded primary health-care service at least 3 times in 2 years.. BMI: A measure of an adults weight (body mass) relative to height, used to assess the extent of weight deficit or excess where height and weight have been measured. Body mass index is the weight in kilograms divided by the square of the height in metres (WHO 2017).. Presented as a number.. Calculated separately for overweight and obese classifications.. If the client has had their BMI recorded more than once within the previous 24 months, only the most recently recorded ...
December 2011 - International Union of Sex Workers International Union of Sex Workers
The International Union of Sex Workers warmly welcomes the Home Office announcement of funds for a pilot scheme UK wide Ugly Mugs scheme, to be run by the UK Network of Sex Work Projects and launched in spring 2012. While sex workers are criminalised for working together, we will remain fearful of contacting the police […]. ...
The association between substance use and sub-optimal HIV treatment engagement among HIV-infected female sex workers in...
Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of The association between substance use and sub-optimal HIV treatment engagement among HIV-infected female sex workers in Lilongwe, Malawi. Together they form a unique fingerprint. ...
ACT NOW: Leaders Call on UN to Address Key Populations in Primary Prevention of HIV - MSMGF Men Who Have Sex With Men Global...
Download a PDF of Reconsidering Primary Prevention of HIV. Available in English, Español , Français. The world needs a new phase in the evolution of the HIV response-one that reinvigorates prevention by seamlessly combining the efficacy of upstream, midstream, and downstream interventions with the powerful effectiveness of community action.. Gay men and other men who have sex with men, people who inject drugs, sex workers, and transgender women are 24, 24, 13.5, and 49 times more likely to acquire HIV, respectively, than adults in the general population (15 years old and older). Globally, these key populations disproportionately bear the burden of new infections, as gay men and other men who have sex with men, people who inject drugs, sex workers, and transgender women accounted for 45% of all new HIV infections in 2015.. Key populations are rendered vulnerable to HIV by upstream factors like punitive and discriminatory laws and politically driven policies, creating stressors that exacerbate ...
Legalisation of sex work associated with lower prevalence of HIV in sex workers | BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS
From AIDSmap, Roger Pebody reports on a study suggesting that legalization of some aspects of sex work might help reduce HIV prevalence in this high-risk group. Countries that have legalized some aspects of sex work have fewer sex workers living with HIV than countries that criminalize all aspects of sex work, according to an ecological analysis of 27 European countries published online ahead of print in The Lancet HIV.
what is a sex worker ? | Page 2 | rabble.ca
i have always acknowledged others experiences, where have i not? i have stated repeatedly that i am trying to bring mine and many others workers perspectives to the table. abolition is no the only side.. i have stated how many workers i represent and feel my credibility is not in jeodardy. i have an obligation to represent my constituency as they have asked me to. i have never dismissed other women perspectives but constsntly and consistently abolitionists try to undermine mine. casting me as a representative of organized crime, as wanting to open olympic brothels for wanting to round workers up into brothels , for trying to profit some how from womens abuse, as being the author of reports i didnt write, as not representing sex workers., that am some a-list escort who has never experienced any pain. i am stating only that not all workers experiences in the sex industry are represented by the abolitionist position and that that position has caused wide spread harm to sex workers in canada. ...
Navigating the swampy lowland: a framework for evaluating the effect of community mobilisation in female sex workers in Avahan,...
Table 1 describes the measures we used to assess strength of the CMI. Although the BTS-IV included self-reported measures of exposure to, and participation in, the programme, to adequately address our main evaluation question (ie, Did a greater level of community mobilisation lead to improved programme outcomes?), it was important to have an independent measure of strength of the intervention. An independent measure of intervention strength at the community level will allow us to move beyond an individual level only analysis of the effect of self-reported exposure to the intervention on outcomes. We define strength as the type and level of participation of the community in the CMI, and we measured it with the CLCPS, a tool based on a much longer qualitative measure of the nature, scope and character of community mobilisation and organisation.42. The CLCPS provides a profile of community participation in the CMI at a subdistrict level, a geographic area we describe as a cluster. The ...
Estimates of the size of key populations at risk for HIV infection: Men who have sex with men, female sex workers and injecting...
We integrated three population size estimation methods into a behavioural surveillance survey among MSM, FSW and IDU in Nairobi during 2010-2011. These methods included the multiplier method, Wisdom of the Crowds and an approach that drew on published literature. The median of the three estimates was hypothesised to be the most plausible size estimate with the other results forming the upper and lower plausible bounds. Data were shared with community representatives and stakeholders to finalise best point estimates and plausible bounds based on the data collected in Nairobi, a priori expectations from the global literature and stakeholder input.. Results ...
Community advocacy groups as a means to address the social environment of female sex workers: a case study in Andhra Pradesh,...
The present study highlights the lessons learnt from the setting up of a CAG system, which is part of a scaled-up community mobilisation strategy where individual FSWs in the intervention districts were facilitated to acquire social entitlements and the efforts were done to sensitise police behaviour. Although the system was established uniformly across the intervention districts around the same time, there were some sites where the CAG system was active and others where the CAG was not active at the time of the survey. The results of the survey suggest that a larger number of FSWs belonging to areas where CAGs were active received ration cards, bank accounts and health insurance as compared with FSWs in areas where CAGs were not active. Similarly, a larger percentage of FSWs from areas where CAGs were active perceived fair treatment by the police and perceived that the police explains the reasons for arrest (if they were arrested) as compared with FSWs in areas where CAGs were not active. The ...
News - Asia Pacific Network of Sex Workers
Website of the Asia Pacific Network of Sex Workers, who work to promote and protect the health and human rights of sex workers in the Asia Pacific region
Photographer captures the home lives of off-duty sex workers | Daily Mail Online
Lindsay Irene, from Ottawa, has photographed over a dozen sex workers at home going about their normal everyday lives. The project is entitled Home Lives of Sex Workers in Canada.
Guys, Would you date a former sex worker? - GirlsAskGuys
Guys, Would you date a former sex worker? Very clean sex worker, rules here are strict too so you need to be tested frequently. Say shes a beautiful, charming, intelligent girl with a great soul....... asked under Dating
Sex workers hands tied under virus lockdowns
London, United Kingdom , AFP , The bondage chairs and polished metal whipping tools sit gathering dust on a quiet street near Londons trendy Shoreditch neighbourhood - and Madame Caramel is not pleased.. The coronavirus lockdown has punished the London dominatrix, whose Hoxton Dungeon Suite has stood silent for weeks.. In regards to the dungeon, completely stopped, zero percent, no income whatsoever, and in regards to Madame Caramel as a professional dominatrix it is exactly the same, said the red-haired self-proclaimed femme domme.. The one-to-one… is gone, just the online stays, she told AFP.. - Cant do in-person -. In Europes red-light capital Amsterdam, sex work is due to officially resume in September. Prostitution in the Netherlands is legal and regulated, which allows for more support and structure during the coronavirus lockdown.. But many sex workers in Britain and beyond are now moving online to make ends meet.. Fellow London dominatrix Mistress Evilyne found success on ...
Unprotected sex with thai sex worker - HIV - Prevention - MedHelp
Hello doctor, I have been in Thailand recently and, after a stupidly drunken night, had unprotected vaginal sex with a thai sex worker :( It was about 2-3 weeks ago and since then i have developed f...
Understanding the social and cultural contexts of female sex workers in Karnataka, India: implications for prevention of HIV...
PubMed comprises more than 30 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full-text content from PubMed Central and publisher web sites.
I Heart Sex Workers | Cokesbury
Paying for sex - engaging in the oldest profession -- is everywhere, even in your church. The factors leading individuals into sex work are as varied as hair colors, yet sex workers are viewed as powerless individuals who must be rescued. I Heart Sex...
Chinese sex workers and HIV - MSMGF Men Who Have Sex With Men Global Forum
But further back in an older, shabbier part of the city is another class of sex workers. They work out of their homes, earn less and have little support on the occasion a customer is violent or leaves without paying. And with Mengzi just a few hours drive from the Golden Triangle of opium-production, some of these women do sex work to feed their crippling heroin addiction. In terms of social status theyre just the gum on the bottom of the nations shoe, but a priority for certain groups working to combat HIV ...
How Facebook Outs Sex Workers - Techidudes
An anonymous reader shares a Gizmodo report: Leila has two identities, but Facebook is only supposed to know about one of them. Leila is a sex worker. She goes to great lengths to keep separate identities for ordinary life and for sex work, to avoid stigma, arrest, professional blowback, or clients who might be stalkers (or worse). Her real identi ...
Sex workers are 12 times more likely to be living with HIV than the general population. Punitive laws make it challenging to reach them with HIV prevention programmes.
Behavioral Intervention to Reduce Sexual and Injection Risks Among Female Sex Workers Who Also Inject Drugs in Mexico - Full...
Combined incidence for HIV/STI was calculated over the 12-month study period and included only those who a) had at least one follow-up visit and b) at baseline tested negative for HIV and any of the aforementioned STIs.. In the calculations we accounted for the time each participant spent at risk of HIV/any STI during the follow-up period, by using available information on each participant for each time point (i.e. baseline, 4-, 8-, and 12-months was used).. The analytic method used for this outcome analysis was Poisson regression with robust variance estimation. The outcome variable was a binary variable indicating whether a participant has contracted HIV or a new STI during the 12-month follow-up period. The primary factor of interest was the intervention group. The log (time spent at risk of HIV/any STI) was used as an offset variable in order to account for the time spent at risk of HIV/any STI by each participant. ...
As temperatures dip, PADS looks for regular clients - tribunedigital-chicagotribune
As temperatures dipped this month to some of the lowest the region has seen in recent years, homeless advocates are hoping those on the streets will seek shelter.The door is always open and the
Tune into Radio Carly: Interview with sex worker Rachel Wotton - Skin hunger part 2.
People have such a black ideology about who is involved in the sex industry and whats involved. I always try to normalise it to what it is. People are going to bars and going online to dating and pick up sites to get a date and to have sex. No one cares how many times a week their neighbour has sex or who they are doing it with. No one cares about who is or isnt using a condom and certainly no one cares to monitor if anyone at the bars and clubs and online is every getting an STI check up. Suddenly when you actually say that you are calmly negotiating what you will and wont do with the other person, arrange a mutually beneficial time to meet, have a clear discussion about safer sex practices and just happen to put a monetary value on this exchange - THEN people get their knickers in a twist and feel that they have the right to talk about you. They suddenly feel that they are threatened by you and suddenly that both the clients and the sex workers need to be in isolation far away from everyone ...
Leeds: Murder accused bought kebab after killing and robbing sex worker in red light area UPDATED - Yorkshire Evening Post
A SEX worker was subjected a “sustained and forceful” fatal attack before being robbed of cash in a managed red light area close to Leeds city centre, a jury heard.
Gay sex workers get massive boost in business thanks to RNC - RT US News
Gay sex workers reported an upsurge in demand during this weeks Republican National Convention in Cleveland, while the ladies of the night appeared to miss out on the booming business.
Protecting Your Asset Like any job, it is important that care is taken to protect ones employment. For the average worker, this may include getting to work on time, ensuring jobs are completed efficiently and effectively and keeping good health, among other things. For the sex worker, work is all about the body. Taking care of this asset (body) should rank high. It is therefore important that sex workers protect their asset. A sexually transmitted infection (STI) affects your health and ability to work. Once you are not working, it means loss of money. It is therefore important to the business that sex workers care enough about their body to ensure it is healthy: So how can you p.... Read more ...
Risky Sexual Behavior among Make Clients of Tijuana Six Workers Heightens Risk of HIC Transmission
A study by a bi-national team of global health researchers at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, examining HIV infection among male clients of female sex workers in Tijuana.
Dr Nupur Pattanaik, Author at Countercurrents
Covid-19 presents a new muddle and risks for sex workers, pandemic of poverty has affected the lives of sex workers; Desperation has kicked in for vulnerable, undocumented workers unable to access help, it has left them with distress, uncertainty, with social distancing rules getting more stringent there is a fear of losing livelihood, health issues troubling, as sex work is[Read More…] ...
Proposed Ontario human trafficking law will be extremely harmful to sex workers, advocates say | The Star
The Combating Human Trafficking Act, Bill 251, dangerously conflates sex work with human trafficking, advocates and community groups said Tuesday.
Minority AIDS Initiative | Jewish Healthcare Foundation
Our Mission. We support and foster the provision of healthcare services, healthcare education, and, when appropriate, medical and scientific research.
sex workers in londo
granny porn porn,sex frefree porn vidhorse secensus britaisex scandaal,live sex scandlelist of british porfree british sluts,free porn vidpefee porn move,free x rated movies to watcbritish columbia porn,british women for sefree porno sitebritish porn mag,sex trade in ...
Condom use and prevalence of syphilis and HIV among female sex workers in Andhra Pradesh, India - following a large-scale HIV...
Avahan, the India AIDS initiative began HIV prevention interventions in 2003 in Andhra Pradesh (AP) among high-risk groups including female sex workers (FSWs), to help contain the HIV epidemic. This manuscript describes an assessment of this intervention using the published Avahan evaluation framework and assesses the coverage, outcomes and changes in STI and HIV prevalence among FSWs. Multiple data sources were utilized including Avahan routine program monitoring data, two rounds of cross-sectional survey data (in 2006 and 2009) and STI clinical quality monitoring assessments. Bi-variate and multivariate analyses, Wald Chi-square tests and multivariate logistic regressions were used to measure changes in behavioural and biological outcomes over time and their association. Avahan scaled up in conjunction with the Government program to operate in all districts in AP by March 2009. By March 2009, 80% of the FSWs were being contacted monthly and 21% were coming to STI services monthly. Survey data
Condom Utilization and Associated Factors Among Female Sex Workers in Bahir Dar City Administration, Northwestern Ethiopia ::...
Condoms have dual method for Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) and pregnancy prevention, but the usage is affected by several reasons. As we know, approximately 36.7 million people worldwide were living with HIV/AIDS at the end of 2016. Of these, 2.1 million were children (|15 years old). An estimated 1.8 million newly infected with HIV in 2016-about 5,000 new infections per day 160,000 children (|15 years). Most of these children live in sub-Saharan Africa. In Ethiopia, it is illegal to operate a brothel or procure sex workers as a commercial activity, but the sale of sex by women is not prohibited by law. The objective of this study was to assess condom utilization and associated factors among female sex workers in Bahir Dar city administration Northwestern Ethiopia. Community based cross sectional study triangulated with qualitative in-depth interview was conducted to determine condom utilization among 307 female sex workers in Bahir Dar city in February 2019 by using Face-to-face interview for
Filling the Knowledge Gap: Measuring HIV Prevalence and Risk Factors among Men Who Have Sex with Men and Female Sex Workers in...
TY - JOUR. T1 - Filling the Knowledge Gap. T2 - Measuring HIV Prevalence and Risk Factors among Men Who Have Sex with Men and Female Sex Workers in Tripoli, Libya. AU - Valadez, Joseph J.. AU - Berendes, Sima. AU - Jeffery, Caroline. AU - Thomson, Joanna. AU - Ben Othman, Hussain. AU - Danon, Leon. AU - Turki, Abdullah A.. AU - Saffialden, Rabea. AU - Mirzoyan, Lusine. PY - 2013/6/19. Y1 - 2013/6/19. N2 - Background:Publications on Libyas HIV epidemic mostly examined the victims of the tragic nosocomial HIV outbreak in the 1990s and the related dispute about the detention of foreign medical workers. The dispute resolution in 2003 included an agreement with the European Union on humanitarian cooperation and the development of Libyas first National HIV Strategy. As part of this we conducted Libyas first bio-behavioural survey among men having sex with men (MSM) and female sex workers (FSW).Methods:Using respondent-driven sampling, we conducted a cross-sectional study to estimate the prevalence ...
Use of Dual Protection Among Female Sex Workers In Swaziland | Guttmacher Institute
Female sex workers are at high risk of both HIV infection and unintended pregnancy. Although programs and policies targeting female sex workers emphasize HIV prevention and condom promotion, they typically pay limited attention to the family planning needs of these women.
HIV and other sexually transmitted infections among female sex workers in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo, in 2002.
OBJECTIVE: The objective of this study was to determine the prevalence and risk factors of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs) among female sex workers (FSWs) in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, in 2002. STUDY DESIGN: A cross-sectional study was conducted among FSWs presenting for the first time at the STI clinic of Matonge, Kinshasa. The women were interviewed about sociodemographic characteristics, type of sex work, and sexual behavior. Blood was taken for HIV, syphilis, and herpes simplex virus type 2 serology. Vaginal secretions were collected on swabs for the diagnosis of gonorrhea, chlamydia, and trichomoniasis. RESULTS: The overall HIV prevalence was 12.4% but varied within the different categories of FSWs: 11.8% in hotel-based, 24.0% in home-based, and 20.0% in street-based FSWs; 10.0% in homeless FSWs; and 6.6% in Masquées (clandestine sex workers). The overall herpes simplex virus type 2 seroprevalence was 58.5%. CONCLUSIONS: The prevalence of HIV and other ...
Community Mobilization and Empowerment of Female Sex Workers in Karnataka State, South India: Associations With HIV and...
OBJECTIVES: We examined the impact of community mobilization (CM) on the empowerment, risk behaviors, and prevalence of HIV and sexually transmitted infection in female sex workers (FSWs) in Karnataka, India.,br/, METHODS: We conducted behavioral-biological surveys in 2008 and 2011 in 4 districts of Karnataka, India. We defined exposure to CM as low, medium (attended nongovernmental organization meeting or drop-in centre), or high (member of collective or peer group). We used regression analyses to explore whether exposure to CM was associated with the preceding outcomes. Pathway analyses explored the degree to which effects could be attributable to CM.,br/, RESULTS: By the final survey, FSWs with high CM exposure were more likely to have been tested for HIV (adjusted odd ratio [AOR] = 25.13; 95% confidence interval [CI] = 13.07, 48.34) and to have used a condom at last sex with occasional clients (AOR = 4.74; 95% CI = 2.17, 10.37), repeat clients (AOR = 4.29; 95% CI = 2.24, 8.20), and regular ...
HIV/AIDS Preventive Practice and Associated Factors among Female Sex Workers in Afar Region, Ethiopia: A Community Based Study...
ABSTRACT BACKGROUND: Female Sex Workers (FSWs) are a high-risk population for Human Immune Virus (HIV) infection. However, HIV related services for sex workers are given little attention in developing nations like Ethiopia. Thus, this study attempted to assess HIV preventive practice and associated factors among FSWs in the Afar region. METHODS: Community-based cross-sectional study was conducted on 419 FSWs from April 1st to May 2nd in 2018 in four hotspot towns (i.e. Logia, Mille, Gedamayitu and Awash) found in Afar region. The study participants were selected using snowball sampling technique. The sociodemographic and behavioral data were collected using face-to-face interview. Logistic regression analyses were done to determine factors associated with HIV prevention practices. The statistically significant level was declared at a P-value , 0.05. RESULTS: The HIV/AIDS preventive practice among FSWs was 61.1% [95% CI 56.2% - 65.9%]. The multivariable logistic regression analysis showed that ...
Wake Up Pune » Grim reality: A survey of sex workers
These are shocking statistics that belie the close to 10% growth rate of the national economy and tell the story of a community that isnt. As per the law.. More than 41% women sex workers in the Capitals GB Road enter the profession because of sheer poverty, 39% of their own free will. Only 50% use condoms and the social welfare department says despite their best efforts health and hygiene standards cannot be improved too much beyond the occasional anonymous checks by mobile vans as the law does not recognise the existence of these women.. All the anti-trafficking laws notwithstanding, almost the entire population of GB Road comprises women, who have come from other states, Andhra Pradesh topping the list with 28.7% sex workers hailing from that state. These are the findings of a first-of-its-kind survey of Delhis sex workers done by the Delhi Commission for Women.. The study - 400 commercial sex workers from G B Road were studied and inputs were also taken from the rescued women in ...
No registry on sex workers, but HIV infection down
It is difficult to maintain a registry on sex workers as they move from one place to another but the government has been able to reach out to them and HIV infection among them has gone down, the Rajya Sabha was told. In a written reply to the upper house, Minister of State for Health Dinesh Trivedi said despite not maintaining a registry, they have been able to reach out to the community. Asked whether a registry for sex workers in India exists, Trivedi said that the dynamics of sex workers operations keeps on changing. Sex workers move from one place to another and assume different names which makes it difficult to keep a registry, he said ...
Share Safer Sex Counseling Program for Changing Sexual Risk Behaviors in Mexican Female Sex Workers - Full Text View -...
Mexican female sex workers (FSWs) represent a large portion of the reported cases of AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) in Mexico. Despite the imbalance in the distribution of reported cases, there have been few efforts to change high-risk sexual behaviors in this population. There has been a dramatic increase in HIV and other STDs over the past decade, especially in Mexican cities along the United States border. Border cities often have a thriving sex trade industry, and some are considered sexual tourist destinations. FSWs in these border cities, however, often do not know how to practice safe sex. A previous study showed that a culturally sensitive risk reduction counseling program was effective in reducing sexual risk behavior in FSWs in Tijuana, Mexico. It may therefore be possible to implement the same program, with similar efficacy, in other Mexican cities near the U.S. border. This study will evaluate the effectiveness of the Share Safer Sex Program versus a standard ...
HIV epidemiology among female sex workers and their clients in the Middle East and North Africa: systematic review, meta...
HIV epidemiology among female sex workers (FSWs) and their clients in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region is poorly understood. We addressed this gap through a comprehensive epidemiological assessment. A systematic review of population size estimation and HIV prevalence studies was conducted and reported following PRISMA guidelines. Risk of bias (ROB) assessments were conducted for all included studies using various quality domains, as informed by Cochrane Collaboration guidelines. The pooled mean HIV prevalence was estimated using random-effects meta-analyses. Sources of heterogeneity and temporal trends were identified through meta-regressions. We identified 270 size estimation studies in FSWs and 42 in clients, and 485 HIV prevalence studies in 287,719 FSWs and 69 in 29,531 clients/proxy populations. Most studies had low ROB in multiple quality domains. The median proportion of reproductive-age women reporting current/recent sex work was 0.6% (range = 0.2-2.4%) and of men reporting
Substance abuse, treatment needs and access among female sex workers and non-sex workers in Pretoria, South Africa | RTI
BACKGROUND: This study examined cross-sectional data collected from substance-using female sex workers (FSW) and non-sex workers (non-SW) in Pretoria, South Africa, who entered a randomized controlled trial. METHODS: Women who reported alcohol use and recently engaging in sex work or unprotected sex were recruited for a randomized study. The study sample (N = 506) comprised 335 FSW and 171 female non-SW from Pretoria and surrounding areas.
HIV survey - Fiji Times Online
THE HIV epidemic in Fiji is not expanding through sex workers, the Integrated Behavioural and Biological Survey (IBBS) and Size Estimation of Sex Workers in Fiji: HIV Prevention Project report revealed.. The report, launched yesterday by the President Ratu Epeli Nailatikau, was the first large-scale quantitative research on sex workers in Fiji which aims to help understand the nature of sex work in Fiji, rates of HIV and STI infection among the sex worker community and their knowledge and behaviour around safer sex practices.. A total of 298 sex workers participated in the IBBS survey with 297 valid surveys for the behavioural survey and 293 valid biological samples for the biological component. This represented just 38 per cent of the total estimated sex worker population in Fiji.. Just three positive cases of HIV were found suggesting sex workers are not experiencing a concentrated epidemic and that the HIV epidemic in Fiji is not expanding through sex workers, the report stated.. Nadi, the ...
A post by NGO Delegate Rathi Ramanathan (Asia and the Pacific). Advocacy for sex workers rights is a challenge: not only is constructive dialogue impeded because the language is contested, but since sex worker rights continue to be politicised, any positive changes to laws are difficult to achieve. Sex workers from the Global Sex Workers Project successfully lobbied for the UN Protocol to Prevent, Suppress and Punish Trafficking in Persons, especially Women and Children (the Palermo Protocol) to replace the term prostitute with sex worker. More than mere political correctness, this shift in language had the important effect of moving global understandings of sex worker rights towards a labour rights framework that could potentially resolve many of the problems faced by sex workers. This language also questions the stigma of sex work because it represents greater recognition of sex workers as rights bearers with the capacity to make their own choices.. Read more on Sex Workers Fight ...
An exploration of elevated HIV and STI risk among male sex workers from India | BMC Public Health | Full Text
Our study showed that MSWs reported more HIV risk behaviours in comparison to other MSM, including a higher number of male sexual partners, a higher proportion reporting substance use and receptive anal sex, and a lower proportion accessing STI services. The prevalence of HIV and HSV-2 among MSM in general, and MSWs in particular, was high. HIV prevalence among MSWs was associated with the place of residence (higher in Hyderabad than Mumbai), HSV-2 and syphilis seropositive status and duration of sex work. Our survey also found a very high HIV prevalence of 57% among MSWs who had sold sex for more than 10 years. As the duration in sex work increased, MSWs were less likely to report insertive anal sex and more likely to self-identify as kothis/engaging in receptive anal sex. As compared to Mumbai, MSWs from Hyderabad were at higher risk for HIV possibly owing to several factors; they were older, a higher proportion were selling sex, reported higher rates of receptive anal sex and substance use, ...
Prevalence Over Time and Risk Factors for Sexually Transmissible Infections Among Newly Arrived Female Sex Workers in Timika,...
Prevalence Over Time and Risk Factors for Sexually Transmissible Infections Among Newly Arrived Female Sex Workers in Timika, Indonesia, at TheBody.com, the complete HIV/AIDS resource.
Avahan Aids initiative may have prevented 600,000 HIV infections in India - Global Commission on HIV and the Law
A programme in India may have saved around 600,000 people from becoming infected with HIV over the course of a decade, according to a new report. Avahan, the India AIDS Initiative funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and launched in 2003, aimed to prevent HIV transmission in the general population through a comprehensive HIV prevention programme…
Management practices to support donor transition: lessons from Avahan, the India AIDS Initiative | BMC Health Services Research...
During 2009-2012, Avahan, a large donor funded HIV/AIDS prevention program in India was transferred from donor support and operation to government. This transition of approximately 200 targeted interventions (TIs), occurred in three tranches in 2009, 2011 and 2012. This paper reports on the management practices pursued in support of a smooth transition of the program, and addresses the extent to which standard change management practices were employed, and were useful in supporting transition. We conducted structured surveys of a sample of 80 TIs from the 2011 and 2012 rounds of transition. One survey was administered directly before transition and the second survey 12 month after transition. These surveys assessed readiness for transition and practices post-transition. We also conducted 15 case studies of transitioning TIs from all three rounds, and re-visited 4 of these 1-3 years later. Considerable evolution in the nature of relationships between key actors was observed between transition rounds,
Community based HIV prevention programmes among female sex workers in rural India can substantially increase the use of condoms, HIV counselling, and testing services, a new study has found.. The study was published in the July 2014 issue of the Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Health and was led by Reynold Washington, an adjunct professor at the St Johns Research Institute in Karnataka. It noted that, in India, the HIV epidemic is concentrated in high risk groups, such as intravenous drug users, men who have sex with men, female sex workers, and people who attend sexually transmitted infection (STI) clinics.. Almost 70% of Indias population resides in rural areas, and 57% of people living with HIV . . . in India also come from rural areas, Washington and his colleagues noted, adding, The state of Karnataka in south India accounts for 11% of the [people living with] HIV in the country.1. The researchers examined the changes in behavioural outcomes among 14 284 rural female sex workers who ...
Street Based Sex Workers (Modhumita Project) | YPSA
Program history. YPSA Modhumita project aiming To reduce the risk of STI and HIV transmission among street-based sex workers and their clients in the city of Chittagong.The program aims to address the lack of appropriate social support frameworks, appropriate provision of HIV/AIDS and sexual health promotion services to meet the specific needs of the Street Based Sex workers and their client through the development of appropriate advocacy including IEC, social support systems, early and effective treatment of STDs, counseling and health education, outreach workers and peer educators and promotion of condoms among the target people in Chittagong. From the different angle Chittagong is one of most vulnerable areas for STD,HIV,AIDS& TB : those are geographical location, internal & external migration, Major port city of the country, life style of mass people and impact of modernization and above all ignorance or miss conception about STD,HIV & AIDS.. YPSA has been implementing this project since ...
HIV/AIDS in Eswatini - Wikipedia
Even in the context of a generalized HIV epidemic in Eswatini, in which HIV prevalence is higher among women than men in the general population, female sex workers (FSW) in Eswatini carry an even more disproportionate burden. The FSW population is largely understudied and underserved, which has resulted in poor characterization of specific HIV prevention, treatment, and care needs for FSW, as well as sparse provision and uptake of health resources. This limited uptake is due partly to fear of disclosure of sex work status. Sex work in Eswatini is illegal. Due to criminalization of sex work, it is particularly difficult to reach the female and male sex worker population. The 2016 Eswatini HIV country profile from the World Health Organization (WHO) estimated the prevalence of HIV among sex workers (both female and male) to be 61%. A study of 328 FSW in Eswatini, conducted between August 2011 to October 2011, found that about 75% of the FSW living with HIV who participated in the ...
Petition · Access to Pads & Awareness on Menstruation for Sex Workers in Sonagachi #CountThemToo · Change.org
Lets count them too- menstruation matters to every human being who menstruates; even the sex workers. Being a professional Social Worker in Kolkata, I encounter many social issues on a daily basis as a part of my field visits. But the one that has impacted me the most in recent times is the issue of sex workers in Sonagachi, West Bengal, believed to be Asias biggest brothel. Among the community
Protecting Your Anonymity and Privacy: A How-to for Sex Workers | Electronic Frontier Foundation
Just as you take steps to protect your personal safety and health while engaging in real-life encounters, a sex worker should also be mindful of the dangers of the online world. As we wrote in a separate blog post today, the sex worker forum MyRedBook, along with its companion sites, have been...
Swinging sex workers are group fucked and gangbanged
iframe title=Swinging sex workers are group fucked and gangbanged scrolling=no width=600 height=363 src=http://www.sewersidegirls.com/videos/embed/3222074 frameborder=0,,/iframe,,br /,,a href=http://www.sewersidegirls.com/videos/3222074 target=_blank,Swinging sex workers are group fucked and gangbanged,/a,. Provided by ,a href=http://www.sewersidegirls.com target=_blank,sewersidegirls.com,/a ...
Ciudad Juarez, Mexico Events | Eventbrite
Lining up plans in Ciudad Juarez? Whether youre a local, new in town, or just passing through, youll be sure to find something on Eventbrite that piques your interest.
Protected sex with commercial sex worker. Prescribed zerodol-p, green urine, body pain, frequent urge to urinate. HIV symptoms?...
Question - Protected sex with commercial sex worker. Prescribed zerodol-p, green urine, body pain, frequent urge to urinate. HIV symptoms?. Ask a Doctor about diagnosis, treatment and medication for HIV, Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist
CDC Global Health - Stories - On the Path to Sustainability: Combination HIV Prevention and Surveillance and Control of...
In Central America, the HIV/AIDS epidemic is concentrated with low prevalence among the general population, but high prevalence among certain sub-groups such as men who have sex with men (MSM), transgender women (male to female), and male and female sex workers (SW); named key populations. Other priority populations include people living with HIV (PLHIV), clients of sex workers, the Garifuna ethnic group, and the military population. Since 2006, Central American Ministries of Health alongside the U.S. Governments agencies such as CDC Central American Regional Office (CDC-CAR) have implemented the Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) surveillance, prevention and control strategy, known as VICITS by its Spanish acronym. VICITS is an intervention for key populations that includes the provision of a combination-prevention package, integrated STI diagnosis and treatment, condom promotion and distribution, HIV counseling and testing, antiretroviral treatment referral, collection and analysis of key ...
Does fear for infection affect condom use and HIV testing? A study of female sex workers in Pune city
Health Belief Model, a health behavior change model identified risk perception as one of the important constructs of public health interventions. 1 It is an individuals perceived susceptibility to a threat, often found to be assessed in the context of HIV prevention programs. 1, 2 The model elucidates that perception of risk to illness and understanding the significance of prevention should translates to positive health behavior. 3 HIV interventions emphasize awareness about modes of transmission and correct assessment of risk as to the key elements in adopting safe sex practices. 4 Worldwide studies in various cultures in diverse communities proved that low-risk perception was influenced by low knowledge about HIV, sex at young age, multiple sexual partners, no or low condom use. 1 Unfortunately, there is scarce evidence around these associations in the Indian context ...
Ciudad de Méjico | Article about Ciudad de Méjico by The Free Dictionary
Looking for Ciudad de Méjico? Find out information about Ciudad de Méjico. see Mexico Mexico or Mexico City, Span. Ciudad de México , city , central Mexico, capital and largest city of Mexico. ..... Click the link for more... Explanation of Ciudad de Méjico
Comparing risk factors of HIV among hijra sex workers in Larkana and o by Arshad Altaf, Aysha Zahidie et al.
Background In 2005, Pakistan was first labeled as a country with concentrated epidemic of Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV). This was revealed through second generation surveillance conducted by HIV/AIDS Surveillance Project (HASP). While injection drug users (IDUs) were driving the epidemic, subsequent surveys showed that Hijra (transgender) sex workers (HSWs) were emerging as the second most vulnerable group with an average national prevalence of 6.4%. An exceptionally high prevalence (27.6%) was found in Larkana, which is a small town on the right bank of river Indus near the ruins of Mohenjo-Daro in the province of Sindh. This paper presents the risk factors associated with high prevalence of HIV among HSWs in Larkana as compared to other cities of the country. Methods Data were extracted for secondary analysis from 2008 Integrated behavioral and biological survey (IBBS) to compare HSWs living in Larkana with those living in other cities including Karachi and Hyderabad in Sindh; Lahore and
I had an unprotected sex with a sex worker sometime | Ask The Doctor
I had an unprotected sex with a sex worker sometime back. Had got myself checked for std. The report says... Torch: Hsv 1 igm (serum/Elisa) ... Negative (0.5) Hsv 2 igm (serum/Elisa) ... Negative (0.3) Chlamydia trachomatis DNA ... Negat
Reducing Intimate Partner Violence Against Female Sex Workers: Findings from Samvedana Plus baseline study - KHPT
Photo conditions of use: KHPT does not grant permission to any organization, institute or individual for use of the photographs for any commercial or non-commercial or educational purposes for ethical and confidentiality reasons. ...
Sex workers threaten to block Bill Gates HIV study, National, Phnom Penh Post
A study to test a possible HIV prevention medicine is raising concerns among Cambodian sex workers, who say the program poses risks to their health and offers no compensation. The research, funded by Microsoft mogul Bill Gates, will test the drug
Downtown Eastside gentrification increases risks for trans sex workers: study | BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS
Downtown Eastside transgender sex workers have been pushed by gentrification into isolated areas, forcing them to make a hole in a fence for a quick escape route from violent customers, reveals a new study from the B.C. Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS.
NSWP launches global consensus statement for International Day To End Violence Against Sex Workers - Global Commission on HIV...
NSWP is publishing the results of a global consultation exercise, carried out with our members in every region, and now written up into all the five languages of NSWP, for December 17th, International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers.
Mobile Clinic For Sex Workers In Pune
A special clinic on wheels is being launched for sex workers in Pune that would provide AIDS counseling and treatment for sexually transmitted disease
HIV prevention messages for high-risk groups should target bars, street corners - Healthcanal.com : Healthcanal.com
Kayo Fujimoto, Ph.D.. UTHealth researchers surveyed 387 drug-using male sex workers and their associates in the Montrose area of Houston from 2003 to 2004. They were interviewed about their social networks, including fellow drug-users, sexual partners and venues in which they spent time. Twenty percent of participants in the study reported that they were HIV-positive. According to Kayo Fujimoto, Ph.D., lead author and assistant professor at the Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research at UTHealth School of Public Health, street-based male sex workers and their associates typically have high rates of risky sexual behavior and substance use, including injecting intravenous drugs.. Most participants named certain bars and street corners as the locations where they meet with sexual partners, drug-using associates, friends and acquaintances. These venues may provide a social environment for forming weak ties among casual acquaintances, said Fujimoto. Weak ties can contribute to the ...
Christian and Muslim Join Forces to Ban Hotel Porn
I love how they try to make this out to be about feminism rather than their religious sanctimoniousness and prudishness. This is why, when I get into an argument with someone about sexism, I make sure they understand Im a sex-positive feminist. As long as the porn involves 100% consenting adults, I have no objection. I have no desire to interfere with or pass judgment on other peoples private sex lives.. And I dont judge someones dignity based on whether they do sex work. A sex worker can be just as dignified as any other human being. The unfair stigma on (consenting adult) sex workers is what deprives them of their dignity. Its funny that the people who claim they want to preserve dignity are the very ones who impugn the dignity of sex workers by implying that simply doing sex work makes you undignified.. This dignity thing is becoming a common trope on the more intellectual side of the religious right. Ive heard the human dignity argument used in opposition to abortion, birth ...
Science vs. Moral Rhetoric: Sex Work, Policies and Public Health | BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS
Sex workers experience the worst health outcomes globally, with escalating rates of violence, HIV infection and premature mortality worldwide. Unfortunately recent history has shown that all too often moral debates dominate the public health response in sex work, and science continues to take a backseat to punitive approaches aimed at eliminating sex work and rescue operations.
Male escorts: A Sydney male sex worker reveals what its really like
What type of woman pays for sex? Everyone is different, but he did narrow down some common female stereotypes.. WOMEN IN THEIR 40s. Theyre separated/divorced and dont want the hassle of drunken men in bars and people that hang around after needing their egos massaged. Some of these women are regular but generally theyre a once off with the purpose for their booking being that theyve not had sex for a while due to a busy life.. Some of these women have met crap men from online dating and are looking for something simple without all the fuss, says Spencer.. WOMEN IN THEIR LATE 20s. Spencers youngest client is 28. These are the girls who wants lessons to be able to do it right for their boyfriends or who wants some coaching for when they meets new potential partners.. He says many of these women have probably been watching too much porn, which is a real problem these days. Porn is male dominated and often degrading of women. We in the male escort industry loathe that and take a completely ...
... as industrial and domestic workers; activists; diplomats and soldiers; wives of diplomats and soldiers; sex workers; and much ... Female domestic workers continue to have the responsibility of providing for family abroad while facing increasingly strict ... From the time of the Industrial Revolution to modern day, female domestic workers have faced the challenges of being treated as ... workers in defense and allied industries, and from the point of view of feminism. The military institution is exposed as a ...
International Committee for Prostitutes' Rights
James Sex worker rights Sex worker Kempadoo, Kamala; Jo Doezema (1998). Global Sex Workers. Routledge. pp. 19-20. ISBN ... A Vindication of the Rights of Whores COYOTE International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers Margo St. ... Kempadoo, Kamala; Jo Doezema (1998). Global Sex Workers. Routledge. p. 37. ISBN 9780415918299.  World Charter for ...
World Charter for Prostitutes' Rights
James Sex worker rights Sex worker Kamala Kempadoo, Jo Doezema (1998). Global Sex Workers, pp. 19-20. Routledge. ISBN 0-415- ... A Vindication of the Rights of Whores COYOTE Decriminalizing sex work International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers ... In 1999, the Santa Monica Mirror commented on the popularization of the term "sex worker" as an alternative to "whore" or " ... We are in solidarity with workers in the sex industry. Organization Organizations of prostitutes and ex-prostitutes should be ...
Cameron invited any sex workers present to join him on stage and indicated that sex work is "one of the most dangerous and ... Sex workers work. Their work is work with dignity." In July 2019, at a UNAIDS Press Conference, Cameron linked activism against ... "Sex workers are perhaps the most reviled group in human history - indispensable to a portion of mostly heterosexual males in ... Cameron has been a staunch supporter of the full decriminalization of sex work. His advocacy and activism has sought to link ...
"Sex workers for disabled". Tory Shepherd (18 October 2007). "Job seeks sex, drugs experience". Nick Henderson (24 June 2007). " ... Greg Kelton (2 June 2011). "MP Steph Key confident of success in changing sex worker law". Chris Pepper (17 January 2010). " ... Hood has also rejected same-sex parenting on the basis that children of same-sex parents wouldn't gain the right to have ... Greg Kelton (30 May 2007). "No primary school sex education". Greg Kelton (13 November 2006). "Schools need new focus on ...
Prostitution in the Bahamas
"Sex Workers: Size Estimates". UNAIDS. 2016. Retrieved 10 February 2018. (At the website, select "Sex Workers" on left, then " ... "SEX WORKERS: SIZE ESTIMATE", then among tabs at top select "Data sheet".) David, Allan (28 October 2007). "36 Hours in Nassau, ... Sex trafficking is a problem on the island. Human traffickers exploit domestic and foreign victims in The Bahamas, and ... "Sex Work Law". Sexuality, Poverty and Law Programme. Retrieved 4 April 2018. Joseph, Andrew (8 November 2016). "The Horniest ...
... and sex workers' rights activist who identifies herself as a feminist and sex worker. She is a podcaster, singer/songwriter and ... Shortly after, she began her career as a sex worker while living in Inner Richmond, commuting to an apartment in East Bay to ... CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) Fink, Erica (November 2013). "Sex workers embrace Obamacare". CNN Money. Retrieved 25 ... Levine, Katie (2014-03-26). "Sex Nerd Sandra #136: Sex Work with Siouxsie Q plus Matt Kirshen". The Nerdist. Retrieved 26 June ...
Internet censorship in the United States
"How a New Senate Bill Will Screw Over Sex Workers". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on 2018-03-24. Retrieved 2018-03- ... Zimmerman, Amy (2018-04-04). "Sex Workers Fear for Their Future: How SESTA Is Putting Many Prostitutes in Peril". The Daily ... "SWOP-USA stands in opposition of disguised internet censorship bill SESTA, S. 1963". Sex Workers Outreach Project. Archived ... Online sex workers argued that the bill would harm their safety, as the platforms they utilize for offering and discussing ...
"Rescuing Child Sex Workers". PBS. February 12, 2010. Retrieved October 7, 2010. "Somaly Mam". Time Magazine. April 30, 2009. ... She has claimed that she was forced to prostitute herself on the streets and made to have sex with five or six clients per day ... Disgraced anti-sex slavery crusader Mam unveils plans for new group, Reuters, December 24, 2014. Accessed September 16, 2017. ... From 1996 to 2014, Mam was involved in campaigns against sex trafficking. She set up the Somaly Mam Foundation, raised money, ...
22 February 2001). "Law violates sex workers". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 22 March 2014. Retrieved 22 March ... "How we organised to break racism on Bristol buses". Socialist Worker (2374). Socialist Workers Party. 8 October 2013. Archived ... Institute for Workers' Control (1980); ISBN 978-0-901740-67-0 Case for Party Democracy, Institute for Workers' Control (1980); ... London, UK: Socialist Workers Party (126). Archived from the original on 20 April 2015. Retrieved 3 May 2010. Militant Video: ...
The International Union of Sex Workers said that the "recommendations are flawed and would be extremely detrimental to workers ... others contend that it is a misnomer to call a lap dancer a sex worker, because no sexual act is technically performed during a ... International Union of Sex Workers. 10 May 2006. Retrieved 8 March 2016. Stephen McGowan (19 August 2013). "Licensed to thrill ... Prostitution and Sex Work. ABC-CLIO, 2010, pp. 6-7 "UK , Lap dancers object to 'sex' label". BBC News. 4 November 2008. ...
Napier Road, Karachi
Arman Sabir (July 19, 2009). "Lessons for Karachi sex workers". BBC News Online. Retrieved 2011-03-20. CS1 maint: discouraged ... The sex trade was closed in 1999 under then Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif. Following campaigning and High Court cases, the ...
Prostitution in Guatemala
In 2008, national HIV prevalence among sex workers is 4 percent, and among street-based female sex workers prevalence is as ... Sex workers rights Global March Factbook on Global Sexual Exploitation Teenage prostitution a way of life in Guatemala ... "Sex workers: Population size estimate - Number, 2016". www.aidsinfoonline.org. UNAIDS. Archived from the original on 4 June ... "HIV prevalence amongst sex workers". www.aidsinfoonline.org. UNAIDS. 2016. Archived from the original on 22 July 2018. ...
Criticism of Google
Cusack, Jim (August 7, 2011). "Google u-turn on sex worker group's advert". Sunday Independent. No Sex Party please, we're ... In May 2011, Google cancelled the AdWord advertisement purchased by a Dublin sex worker rights group named "Turn Off the Blue ... "Google Workers Walk Out". VOA. Retrieved November 5, 2018. News, VOA. "Google Workers Launch Worldwide Protests". VOA. ... TOBL is a nonprofit campaign for sex worker rights and is not advertising or selling adult sexual services. In July, after TOBL ...
West Mesa murders
Blea was also suspected by police of killing a sex worker; his DNA sample was located on the inner waistband and belt of a sex ... Fred Reynolds was a pimp who knew one of the missing women and reportedly had photos of missing sex workers; he died of natural ... "Albuquerque sex workers face perils". El Paso Times. February 17, 2014. Retrieved May 22, 2020. Nicole Perez; Robert Browman ( ... that targets sex workers during events throughout the Southwest, Southern, and Western United States, especially regularly ...
Prostitution in Nicaragua
This led to a further 60 sex workers being trained. The eventual aim is to have at least six sex workers trained in every ... "HIV prevalence amongst sex workers". www.aidsinfoonline.org. UNAIDS. 2016. Archived from the original on 22 July 2018. ... A September 2005 study on HIV among commercial sex workers reported by UNAIDS demonstrated a prevalence of only 0.2 percent in ... Vice-president Marvin Aguilar said "We are the only country in the world that treats sex workers as 'judicial facilitators'. ...
Prostitution in Zimbabwe
... colonial vagrancy laws were used against sex workers. In 1983 there was a major effort to eliminate sex work in post- ... "MP fumes over sex workers". NewsDay. Zimbabwe. 5 December 2012. "MDC pushing to legalize prostitution". Nottingham Zimbabwean ... The UK based Open Society Foundation reported in 2012 that the police are the greatest abusers of sex workers in Zimbabwe. ... She is supported by the Zimbabwe Women's Resource Centre and Network (ZWRCN), in addition to sex workers themselves. ...
Prostitution in Rwanda
In 2012 it was estimated that there were 12,278 sex workers in the country. It is thought that 45.8% of sex workers in Rwanda ... A significant number of university students use sex work to supplement their income. Sex workers report harassment from the ... "Sex workers: Population size estimate - Number, 2016". www.aidsinfoonline.org. UNAIDS. Archived from the original on 4 June ... "HIV prevalence amongst sex workers". www.aidsinfoonline.org. UNAIDS. 2016. Archived from the original on 22 July 2018. ...
Prostitution in Ivory Coast
Sex workers are a high risk group, and condom use was previously not common, leading to 70% of sex workers in Abidjan being HIV ... Sex workers report law enforcement is sparse and corrupt. Police sometimes harass sex workers and demand bribes or sexual ... In the cities, sex workers have started organisations to protect their interests. Often they cater for a particular ethnic ... "Sex workers: Population size estimate - Number, 2016". www.aidsinfoonline.org. UNAIDS. Archived from the original on 4 June ...
Prostitution in Botswana
Sex workers are a high risk group. In 2012 it was reported sex workers have an HIV prevalence of 61.9%. Sex workers report that ... Sex workers report routine violence and extortion by the police. Police sometimes demand sex or bribes from foreign prostitutes ... "Sex workers: Population size estimate - Number, 2016". www.aidsinfoonline.org. UNAIDS. Archived from the original on 4 April ... "HIV prevalence amongst sex workers". www.aidsinfoonline.org. UNAIDS. 2016. Archived from the original on 22 July 2018. ...
Prostitution in Australia
Advocacy for sex workers in NSW is undertaken by SWOP NSW (Sex Workers Outreach Project). Sex work including the operation of ... Scarlet Alliance, a national peer sex worker NGO, provides advocacy for sex workers in Australia. Sex work in Australia has ... promote safe sex education and practice by clients and sex workers, and enable sex workers to report criminal matters to the ... Sex Workers Outreach Project USA; Maria McMahon, Former Manager Sex Workers Outreach Project NSW and Sex Services Planning ...
Children of commercial sex workers. Child victims of the flesh trade. Victims of child trafficking. Children abandoned by ... The move means that police personnel instead of social workers will handle the calls made to 1098. The action will also help in ... the rescue team of social workers checks if he or she needs medical attention like food or cleanup, and provides these and ...
Prostitution statistics by country
"Sex workers: Population size estimate - Number, 2016 - 2018". www.kpatlas.unaids.org. UNAIDS. Retrieved 2 January 2020. "Sex ... "400 to 500 possible sex workers in Bhutan - The Bhutanese". The Bhutanese. Retrieved 10 February 2018. "Sex Work & HIV - China ... Similarly sex workers with health, addiction and other support needs are more likely to be known to the authorities and hence ... "Austria: Discriminations against Sex Workers in the Rights to Work and to Health". Office of the United Nations High ...
Prostitution in Georgia (country)
Although UNAIDS report high condom use between sex workers and clients (95.4%), sex workers are a high risk group. Infections ... HIV amongst sex workers is estimated to be 60%-70% in some areas. Following the conflict in South Ossetia, many men left to ... Stigmatisation prevents some sex workers accessing healthcare. There is a 10.8% active syphilis rate and 0.7% HIV prevalence ... "Condom use among sex workers - Percent, 2016". www.aidsinfoonline.org. UNAIDS. Archived from the original on 22 July 2018. ...
North, Anna (December 17, 2019). "Sex workers are in danger. Warren and Sanders are backing a bill that could help". Vox. ... Kelly, Makena (December 17, 2019). "Democrats want data on how sex workers were hurt by online crackdown". The Verge. Retrieved ... on sex workers. Khanna's Valor Act passed both the House and the Senate and was signed by President Trump on November 21, 2017 ... The bill would overhaul the H-1B and L-1 visa programs to protect American workers and crack down on the outsourcing of ...
Prostitution in Somalia
Sex workers are a high risk group and their estimated HIV prevalence rate was 5.2% in 2014. Condom use amongst sex workers is ... UNAIDS estimated there were 10,957 sex workers in Somalia in 2016. Sex trafficking and child prostitution are problems in the ... "Somalia: High risk sex workers fly under the HIV radar". annabengan.blogspot.co.uk. 31 March 2009. Archived from the original ... "Condom use among sex workers - Percent, 2016". www.aidsinfoonline.org. UNAIDS. Archived from the original on 22 July 2018. ...
Sex Workers of India: Diversity in Practice of Prostitution and Ways of Life. By Moni Nag; Sexuality, Gender and Rights: ... Sex Workers of India: Diversity in Practice of Prostitution and Ways of Life". Economic Development and Cultural Change. 57 (1 ... Moni Nag (3-9 December 2005). "Sex Workers in Sonagachi: Pioneers of a Revolution". Economic and Political Weekly. 40 (49): ... Response in Swati Ghosh (1-7 April 2006). "Empowerment of Sex Workers: The Kolkata Experience". Economic and Political Weekly. ...
The success of working at STD clinics and tracking sex workers was made possible by Senegal's laws surrounding sex work. Sex ... As research capacity grew, Dakar's STD clinics and the sex workers who were treated at the clinics became an avenue for the ... Mboup and his collaborators focused on researching sex workers in Dakar over time, as this is the initial population HIV-2 had ... In 1985, only two years after finishing schooling, Mboup's research of Dakar's sex workers led to a breakthrough discovery of a ...
Prostitution in Benin
... was implemented among sex workers in the largest city, Cotonou. This saw condom use increase and HIV amongst sex workers fall ... provides sex workers with free medical treatment and counselling. UNAIDS reported in 2016 that the HIV prevalence amongst sex ... Sex workers are amongst the high risk groups. Clients are often soldiers and truck drivers. Because of their travelling, if ... "Sex workers: Population size estimate - Number, 2016". www.aidsinfoonline.org. UNAIDS. Archived from the original on 4 April ...
Prostitution in Niger
Sex workers are one of the high risk groups. In 2016 UNAIDS estimated there was a 17% prevalence rate amongst sex workers. ... "Sex workers: Population size estimate - Number, 2016". www.aidsinfoonline.org. UNAIDS. Archived from the original on 4 June ... "HIV prevalence amongst sex workers". www.aidsinfoonline.org. UNAIDS. 2016. Archived from the original on 22 July 2018. ... UNAIDS estimate there are 46,630 sex workers in the country. Many have turned to prostitution because of poverty. Some Nigerian ...
... people were typically segregated by sex. Sport was prohibited. The only reading material that the population were ... in part due to a lack of motivation among laborers and the diversion of the strongest workers to irrigation projects. Many ... Many of these irrigation projects failed due to a lack of technical expertise on the part of the workers. ... Sâr read through the archives of the Workers' Party of Vietnam, concluding that the Vietnamese Marxist-Leninists were committed ...
"Bahrain: Foreign population by country of citizenship, sex and migration status (worker/ family dependent) (selected countries ... "Kuwait restricts recruitment of male Bangladeshi workers , Dhaka Tribune". www.dhakatribune.com. Retrieved 2017-12-04.. ...
Health-care workers treating people with Ebola are at greatest risk of infection. The risk increases when they do not have ... "Ebola Can Be Transmitted Through Sex". Science Times. Archived from the original on 2 May 2015. Retrieved 3 May 2015 ... "Ebola in Texas: Second Health Care Worker Tests Positive". NBC News. 15 October 2014. Archived from the original on 15 October ... "Ebola in Texas: Second Health Care Worker Tests Positive". Archived from the original on 15 October 2014.. ...
... regardless of age or sex. ... National Socialist Workers' Party of Denmark. *National Unity ...
Unisex public toilet
"Mixed Sex Toilets in Schools". Womansplaceuk.org. Retrieved January 24, 2019.. *^ a b Kogan, Terry (2007). "Sex-Separation in ... Yellin, Eric S. Racism in the Nation's Service: Government Workers and the Color Line in Woodrow Wilson's America. University ... Sex-separation in public toilets (also called sex segregation), as opposed to unisex toilets, is the separation of public ... The opposite of unisex toilets is referred to as either "sex-separated" or "sex-segregated" toilets, or "conventional public ...
Health in Nepal
The epidemic in Nepal is driven by injecting drug users, migrants, sex workers and their clients, and MSM. Results from the ... Labor migrants make up 41 percent of the total known HIV infections in Nepal, followed by clients of sex workers (15.5 percent ... As of 2007, HIV prevalence among female sex workers and their clients was less than 2 percent and 1 percent, respectively, and ... Life Expectancy at birth for both sexes increased by 6 years over the year 2010 and 2012.In 2012, healthy expectancy in both ...
Matador (Danish TV series)
Misse's predicament - attraction of the opposite sex - worsens and she finds herself in a situation where she accuses not only ... " ("Red") Jensen - Kurt Ravn Communist railroad worker and later husband to Agnes Jensen. He is often too preoccupied with ...
Women's education in the United States
Sisterhood and Solidarity: Workers' Education for Women, 1914-1984 (1984).. *Lasser, Carol, ed. Educating Men and Women ... Education was a controversial topic in the 1930s," and sex-segregated school systems protected "the virtue of female high ... The court held that the single-sex admissions policy of the Mississippi University for Women violated the Equal Protection ... 1972: Title IX was passed, making discrimination against any person based on their sex in any federally funded educational ...
He became an outspoken critic of Henry Ford and allowed union organizers to use his pulpit to expound their message of workers ... The historian Ronald H. Stone thinks that Niebuhr never talked to the assembly line workers (many of his parishioners were ... and then initiated the engagement of what he considered the insecurity of Ford workers. Niebuhr had moved to the left and ... One supportive example has concerned his interest in the plight of auto workers in Detroit. This one interest among others can ...
It is also expected to disrupt sex ratios in many reptiles which have temperature-dependent sex determination. ... Between 2007 and 2013, over ten million beehives were abandoned due to colony collapse disorder, which causes worker bees to ...
Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938
... was passed to amend the FLSA and make it illegal to pay some workers lower wages than others strictly on the basis on their sex ... retail workers, service workers, agricultural workers, and construction workers were still not required to be paid at least the ... 1983 Migrant and Seasonal Agricultural Worker Protection Act. The Migrant and Seasonal Agricultural Worker Protection Act ... retail workers and services workers were not covered by minimum wage laws. ...
Oryentasyong seksuwal, ang malayang ensiklopedya
National Association of Social Workers, and National Association of Social Workers, California Chapter in support of the ... Journal of Sex Research 41 (3): 281. Nakuha noong 31 Agosto 2007. ... Journal of Sex Research, 43(1), 46-58. Nakuha noong Abril 4, 2009. ...
and speculates that campaign workers adapted the phrase from political pollsters. ...
Commercial sexual exploitation of children
"Conflict and Agency among Sex Workers and Pimps: A Closer Look at Domestic Minor Sex Trafficking". The Annals of the American ... Some people travel to engage in child sex tourism. Sex tourism and sex trafficking both generate revenue for a country. " ... "What is Child Sex Tourism?".. *^ a b c Herrmann, Kenneth J., and Michael Jupp. "International Child Sex Trade." The Sexual ... "A new danger for sex workers in Bangladesh". guardian.com. 2010-04-05. Retrieved 2012-03-20.. ...
Paul Morris, a psychology researcher at the University of Portsmouth, argues that high heels accentuate "sex specific aspects ... There have been repeated protests by women workers against such policies. Laws regarding dress codes that require women to wear ...
I Am Curious (Yellow)
... and files on each of the 23 men with whom she has had sex. The walls are covered with pictures of concentration camps and a ... Bertil Norström as Factory worker. *Dora Söderberg Old lady in elevator. *Öllegård Wellton as Yevtushenko's Interpreter ...
... also known as the Kurdistan Workers' Party in English. The Kurdistan Workers' Party later abandoned Marxism-Leninism. ... "Language according to age and sex by region 1990 - 2018". Statistics Finland. Retrieved 27 April 2019.. ... The Kurdistan Workers' Party or PKK (Kurdish: Partiya Karkerên Kurdistanê) is Kurdish militant organization which has waged an ... Main articles: Kurds in Turkey, Kurds of Central Anatolia, Turkish Kurdistan, Human rights in Turkey, Kurdistan Workers Party, ...
Sex reassignment surgery
... and the National Association of Social Workers. ... Sex reassignment surgery (female-to-male). *Sex reassignment ... After sex reassignment surgery, transsexuals (people who underwent cross-sex hormone therapy and sex reassignment surgery) tend ... For specialized articles on surgical procedures, see Sex reassignment surgery (male-to-female) and Sex reassignment surgery ( ... The majority of the transsexual individuals have reported enjoying better sex lives and improved sexual satisfaction after sex ...
... evening rather than daytime for sex workers), community ownership (for example, MSM, IDU or sex workers running their own ... He has openly criticized the harassment of gay population, sex workers, and drug users, which were culturally widely common ... creches to look after children of sex workers while they attend clinics or those of IDUs in deaddiction services). ... His works have shown that sex inequality and education for women and girls are strongly associated factors for HIV infection, ...
"Stand By Your Man: The strange liaison of Sartre and Beauvoir (Book review of the republished The Second Sex by Simone de ...
Sex is allowed for "the betters" (capitalists), and for workers only when not disturbing performance. Marcuse believes that a ... Council communists support a workers' democracy, which they want to produce through a federation of workers' councils. ... Now collected in a book, Maurice Brinton, For Workers' Power.. *^ Benjamin Noys (ed). Communization and its Discontents: ... Brinton, Maurice (Goodway, David ed). For Workers' Power: the selected writings of Maurice Brinton. AK Press. 2004. ISBN 1- ...
Singapore American School
Challenging Marriage Taboos and Paving the Road to Same-Sex Marriage (2015); Which Chosen People? Manifest Destiny Meets the ... such as Migrant Workers Outreach Program, Leprosy Home, Blue Planet Initiative, Medical Explorers Club, Global Issues Network, ...
Occupations, for example George means "earth-worker", i.e., "farmer".. *Circumstances of birth, for example Thomas meaning " ... Variations on another name, especially to change the sex of the name (Pauline, Georgia) or to translate from another language ( ... Some countries have laws preventing unisex names, requiring parents to give their children sex-specific names. Names may have ...
Frequent skin cancers were noted among fuel industry workers in the 19th century. In 1933, BaP was determined to be the ... sub-chronic exposure to inhaled BaP has been shown to generally reduce the function of testicles and epididymis with lower sex ...
2008 California Proposition 2
8 (SAME-SEX MARRIAGE BAN) DIVIDING 49% NO - 44% YES, WITH MANY VOTERS IN CONFLICT; VOTERS MOVING TO THE NO SIDE ON PROP. 7 ( ... United Farm Workers, the César Chávez Foundation, Defenders of Wildlife, Greenpeace USA, the Organic Consumers Association, ... United Farm Workers, Family Farm Defenders, Union of Concerned Scientists, and the California Council of Churches. ... and United Food and Commercial Workers Western States Council. ...
The sex ratio is 894 per 1,000 males for Nashik city. Child sex ratio is 865 girls per 1,000 boys. In Nashik, 11.42% of the ... Dadasaheb Gaikwad (Bhaurao Krishnaji Gaikwad), a politician, social worker. *Uttara Mhatre Kher Former Miss India ...
Levels of the sex hormones estradiol and progesterone differed. Belyaev stated: "Perhaps the most important observation ... Additional studies by these workers has shown that "tameness" and "aggressiveness" is associated with at least two loci. ... Trut, L. N. (1996). "Sex ratio in silver foxes: effects of domestication and the star gene". Theoretical and Applied Genetics. ... Using 320 microsatellites Trut and co-workers showed that all 16 fox autosomes and one X chromosome were covered, and that ...
Further evidence of sex-based disparities in radiation-induced cancers was published in the 2006 report by the National ... compensation covers workers employed in uranium mines in five states-Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Wyoming, and Utah-between ... the sex disparities are even greater. The BEIR VII Committee concluded that, given the same level of radiation exposure, women ... Sex, age, race, culture, occupation, class, location, and simultaneous exposure to additional environmental toxins are also ...
For instance, Coren Apicella and her co-workers from Harvard University created average faces of an isolated hunter-gatherer ... Rhodes, G.; Hickford, C.; Jeffery, L. (2000). "Sex-typicality and attractiveness: Are supermale and superfemale faces super- ...
These theologians believe that God does not discriminate on the basis of biologically determined characteristics, such as sex ... Sex workers' rights. *Sexual harassment. *Sexual objectification. *Theory *in composition studies. *Triple oppression ...
Sex workers protest violence in London
Prostitutes held a candlelit vigil in London on Wednesday to mark the international day to end violence against sex workers. ... A protester holds a placard during a candle-lit vigil to mark the international day to end violence against sex workers, ... Organised by the English Collective of Prostitutes, the protesters held signs such as "Criminalisation makes sex workers ... Prostitutes held a candlelit vigil in London on Wednesday to mark the international day to end violence against sex workers. ...
Sex Workers' Opera | Theatre in London
... and those of sex workers around the world. Throughout this devised, vignette-based show the message is clear: these sex workers ... The Sex Workers Opera takes these tropes and slaps them round the face with a PVC glove - here the stories are about real ... Opera meets poetry, hip-hop, spoken word, folk and jazz, all of which are utilised by the cast - a mix of actual sex workers ... Distilled to its core the show is a plea for us to listen, to allow sex workers to tell their own stories. Unfortunately the ...
Sex Workers | HIV by Group | HIV/AIDS | CDC
Fact sheet covering HIV risk among persons who exchange sex for money or nonmonetary items in the US and dependent areas. ... sex without a condom, sex with multiple partners) and substance use. Those who exchange sex more regularly as a source of ... engage in riskier forms of sex such as anal sex, and have difficulty negotiating safer sex (condom use, for example) with their ... More money for sex with partners known to be HIV positive.. Drug and Alcohol Use. There is a strong link between exchange sex ...
Abuses against Sex Workers in China | HRW
Physical abuse and torture of sex workers by police, and police sex with a sex worker prior to arrest, are violations of the ... with the participation of sex worker groups.. *Support local human rights groups and sex worker groups that are assisting sex ... Zhangping, a sex worker interviewed in Beijing Sex workers interviewed by Human Rights Watch said that they faced mistreatment ... They then fine the sex worker, and split the money with the client.. Sex workers are sometimes victims of police ...
Most sex workers in Spain use condoms - Redorbit
The researchers found that 95.5 percent of the sex workers used condoms during vaginal sex with clients, but that they did not ... The HIV infection rates were significantly higher among the Spanish sex workers, at 9.3 percent. In addition, 49.7 percent of ... rates of HIV infection HIV and sexually transmitted disease said they found a high rate of condom use in female sex workers. ...
Violence Against Cambodia's Sex Workers | Human Rights Watch
Cambodian sex workers stage a protest against a police crackdown on prostitution. Sex workers report that police physically and ... The Cambodian government responded by saying it would stop sending sex workers there. But as recently as last June, sex workers ... Every single sex worker we spoke with said the police demanded bribes or stole money from them. Some officers demanded sex. ... But some sex workers are forced into an abysmal government-run center, Prey Speu, or others like it. In 2008, Cambodian rights ...
Sex workers are 12 times more likely to be living with HIV than the general population. Punitive laws make it challenging to ... Removing barriers to HIV prevention for sex workers. Involving sex workers. Where capacity of sex worker communities has been ... A sex worker in Cape Town, South Africa18. Sometimes, sex workers are simply powerless to negotiate safer sex. Clients may ... Sex workers and human rights. Some laws not only criminalise sex work but also deny sex workers fundamental civil rights. They ...
Sex Workers and HIV - TheBody.com
While these results take sex work itself off the hook, drug use among sex workers appears to be high. Of 85 sex workers in a ... Sex Workers as a Prevention Resource. Many who do HIV prevention work with sex workers find them to know a great deal about the ... Clients of Sex Workers Increase Risk of Contracting HIV. While no clear behavioral pattern emerges for female sex workers, most ... The only large-scale study of HIV among sex workers in Asia was done in the Philippines, evaluating 25,392 sex workers in 64 ...
Are we doing enough to protect male sex workers? - Telegraph
Almost half of sex workers in Britain are men, so why does the idea of a male prostitute remain a social and political ... Are we doing enough to protect male sex workers?. Almost half of sex workers in Britain are men, so why does the idea of a male ... "sex work policies are driven by concerns about women as workers and when males are thought of in relation to sex work it is ... But to consider violent individuals and HIV transmission as the sole threats to male sex workers alone would be to simplify the ...
The Potential Future Sex Worker
Today, the Potential Future Sex Worker: female, 24, Sheepshead Bay, sales administrator, straight. ,/i, ,b,DAY ONE,/b, ,b,9:00 ... b,3:15 p.m.:,/b, I call my boyfriend because I just cant take it anymore and Im willing to settle for phone sex. I get his ... The phone-sex idea is a huge bust, and I now realize just how long this weekend is going to be. ... Today, the Potential Future Sex Worker: female, 24, Sheepshead Bay, sales administrator, straight. ...
Hamburg sex workers demand Germany's brothels reopen
With shops, restaurants and bars all open again in Germany, where prostitution is legal, sex workers ... The Association of Sex Workers, which organised the protest, says the continued closure of licensed premises is forcing some ... With shops, restaurants and bars all open again in Germany, where prostitution is legal, sex workers say they are being singled ...
Japan offers sex workers financial aid during the coronavirus pandemic - CNN
sex workers | Speaking of Medicine
Vital protection for sex workers
Many sex workers advise sitting astride (on top of) their client for vaginal or anal intercourse as this gives you the ideal ... Vital protection for sex workers. General security advice. Always have confidence in your instincts/intestine emotions. If you ... Your nearby sex perform venture can recommend you on dressing safely and securely for work or scroll down this page and look ... If achievable, wear apparel that does not have to be removed to have sex, or that is straightforward to put on and consider off ...
HIV & AIDS Information :: Topics - Sex workers
Clients and sex workers can team up to make sex work safer - and it starts with learning the business of sex. The social ... UK: Blood donation rules relaxed for gay men and sex workers. Blood donation rules for sex workers and gay men are being ... Use of psychedelic drugs may reduce the risk of suicide in female sex workers. Women sex workers who used psychedelic drugs ... Sex workers news selected from other sources * Studies raise concerns about policies seeking to "end demand" for sex work ...
Sex workers speak: who listens? | openDemocracy
The sex workers movement demands full decriminalisation of sex work, but this will only help sex workers already... ... International Committee on the Rights of Sex Workers in Europe All articles by International Committee on the Rights of Sex ... Sex workers speak: who listens? Published on: 29 February 2016 Written by: Giulia Garofalo Geymonat All articles by Giulia ... Trafficking discourses and sex workers mobilisation in eastern Europe and central Asia Published on: 4 March 2016 ...
Iran Official Calls For Sterilization For Sex Workers, Homeless Drug Addicts
An Iranian official has called for the sterilization of female sex workers and homeless drug addicts in Tehran to prevent ... There is a reality, a view, agreed on by many NGOs and the social elite, that if a women is sick, and is also a sex worker and ... An Iranian official has called for the sterilization of female sex workers and homeless drug addicts in Tehran to prevent ...
Sex workers' union ignites debate over prostitution in Spain | Fox Business
A Spanish sex workers union will hold a news conference Friday to react to the governments decision to overturn its ... On public remarks and in social media, some offered support to the sex workers and others lambasted their move to unionize. ... s first sex workers' union.. Women's rights groups and policymakers have long been divided over whether legalizing ... But when news emerged this week that the sexual workers' organization OTRAS had been granted official approval to ...
"Whore Power" Movement To End Criminalization of Sex...
Support sex worker activist Isabel fight violence | Indiegogo
Aid worker admits sex with under-age girls in Congo
A Frenchman has become the first United Nations worker to confess to having sex with under-age girls in the Democratic Republic ... After its inquiries, the UN reported that the accused men had had sex with girls aged between 12 and 16 in exchange for small ... American television network ABC last week screened pictures of Bourguet with some of the girls with whom he allegedly had sex. ...
Mobile Clinic For Sex Workers In Pune
A special clinic on wheels is being launched for sex workers in Pune that would provide AIDS counseling and treatment for ... Fresh Stakes in the Oldest Trade Sexual Intercourse Facts Safe Sex Top Ten Trivial Sex Facts Top Ten Sex Tips for Men Sex ... we have provided health facilities to over 2,000 sex workers in last one year," said Sonawane. Pune has around 8,000 sex ... "A lot of sex workers are hesitating to come to the static clinics and we hope this initiative will help in reaching out to them ...
Project MUSE - Vectors of Disease: Sex Workers as Bodies to Be Managed
... "sex workers know how to take care of their health better than everyone else-the idea that sex workers spread disease is a media ... I would repeat the story again that our HIV infection rate was low because sex workers make sure to be safe-after all, an STI ... This narrative requires that there is only one kind of sex worker: a person who has the opportunity to prioritize their sexual ... James Infirmary, the United Statess only peer-based clinic for current and former sex workers. Part of this job was taking the ...
Clients of Female Sex Workers as a Bridging Population in Vietnam | SpringerLink
Understanding bridging behaviors of clients of female sex workers (FSWs) is important for projecting and intervening in the ... Sexual behaviors Condoms Bridging Drug use Male clients Female sex workers (FSWs) Risk factors Sexually transmitted infections ... Tran, T. N., Detels, R., Long, H. T., & Lan, H. P. (2005a). Drug use among female sex workers in Hanoi, Vietnam. Addiction ( ... Tran, T. N., Detels, R., & Lan, H. P. (2006). Condom use and its correlates among female sex workers in Hanoi, Vietnam. AIDS ...
Africa's Sex Workers Have Hard Time Leaving Streets | Voice of America - English
Marie and other sex workers choose their sections of a popular street corner in Dakar to find customers. This is against the ... sex workers are many more times likely to carry the virus. In this second part of a five-part series on the most vulnerable ... groups to HIV infection in Africa, Phuong Tran reports from Dakar on one womans search for a way to get out of sex work and ... "Sex workers have told us that when they ask a client to use a condom, he offers to double the price to have sex without the ...
Sex worker - Wikipedia
Sugar Baby Transgender sex worker List of sex worker organizations Oxford English Dictionary, "sex worker" Oxford English ... Other sex workers are paid to engage in live sexual performance, such as webcam sex and performers in live sex shows. Some sex ... a sex workers rights advocate, claims that the sex workers rights approach considers more of the historical context of sex ... including those who have been trafficked to a location for sex. Sex workers rights advocates argue that sex workers should ...
Stayfree India Equips Commercial Sex Workers With Essential Life Skills Through Project Free Period
... a vocational training program for commercial sex workers - is empowering... ... Stayfree India Equips Commercial Sex Workers With Essential Life Skills Through Project Free Period English * Deutsch ... Stayfree Indias Project Free Period - a vocational training program for commercial sex workers - is empowering women to hone ... Stayfree Indias Project Free Period entails three-day training modules for commercial sex workers, where they are taught a ...
Sex workers to pray for acceptancePhnom Penh Post
... garment workers and beer promotion women will take part in a Buddhist ceremony today, aiming at sending a message that they are ... Around 400 sex workers, garment workers and beer promotion women will take part in a Buddhist ceremony today, aiming at sending ... Sex workers to pray for acceptance Vong Sokheng. , Publication date 16 March 2010 , 08:00 ICT ... "Therefore we are celebrating the Buddhist ceremony to send a message that sex workers can take part in our culture and religion ...
Sex Workers in India Get Life Insurance Cover
Sex workers in India now have the option of taking out life insurance cover -- a move they hope will speed up their bid to ... Sex worker Swapna Gayen hailed the move as "a victory for sex workers." "It would put our campaign a step forward to legalise ... Sex workers is what keeps the money coming in the country. With out the sex workers, all hope is lost.. ... Its good to finally see the sex workers in India get insurance. Its going to help the familys of the sex workers and the over ...
10 Male Sex Workers Who Made History - Listverse
10 Male Sex Workers Who Made History. Ann Feeney December 27, 2016. 0 ... he became a singer and promoter for burlesque productions as well as an advocate for legal prostitution and sex worker rights. ... Haggard, a married man, was an active proponent for the Defense of Marriage Act, which banned same-sex marriage. This advocacy ... Shahar also claimed to have had sex with 500 different women and 40 couples. After retiring from prostitution, ...
Entered sex workMale sex workersInvolved in the sex tradeWorking in the sex industryProstitutionCondomStigmaWorkViolence against sexFSWsMake sex workersFormer sex workersCommercial sex workersCondomsAIDSFemaleSafe sexAnal sexPhone sexCriminalisationPercent of the sex workersAfricaVictimsPrevalence amongIndiaNeeds of sex workersRights of Sex WorkersProtection for sex workersCriminalization of Sex WorkersAbuse sex workersInfection among sexSTIsSaferAllowed unprotected sexAdvocates2016Sexually transmitDecriminalisationRelationship between sexEpidemicIndustryGloballyMigrant sexInternational sexDiscriminationInterviews with 75Actual sexTradeSexualVaginal sexPeopleSell sexCondomless sex
Entered sex work1
- Instead, officers were more likely to use the law as a convenient excuse to continue to exploit and abuse sex workers, many of whom entered sex work because of poverty and lack of economic opportunities. (hrw.org)
Male sex workers17
- There is almost no information about male sex workers. (thebody.com)
- Are we doing enough to protect male sex workers? (telegraph.co.uk)
- But to consider violent individuals and HIV transmission as the sole threats to male sex workers alone would be to simplify the issue. (telegraph.co.uk)
- This kind of behaviour is what worries activists like Natee Teerarojjanapongs, director of the Fraternity for AIDS Cessation in Thailand (FACT), despite figures that show lower HIV prevalence rates among male sex workers and what he says are HIV/AIDS campaigns that have been successful in promoting safer sexual behaviour. (ipsnews.net)
- Figures from the AIDS division of the department of disease control in the Ministry of Public Health show that 9.6 percent of male sex workers have HIV, compared with 16.2 percent of female sex workers. (ipsnews.net)
- Activists say that while campaigns for condom use and programmes on HIV/AIDS for male sex workers by groups like FACT have an impact, there remain worrying signs of ignorance and complacency about the pandemic. (ipsnews.net)
- Natee also says that the vulnerability of male sex workers tend to get lesser attention from society and even some activists, and that this is reflected in the much fewer number of groups that work with them compared to those working with female sex workers. (ipsnews.net)
- Society continues to turn a blind eye to problems involving make sex workers," says Natee, who has worked with male sex workers since 1986. (ipsnews.net)
- People are less sympathetic toward male sex workers because men are seen to have 'nothing to lose' when it comes to sex work. (ipsnews.net)
- Therefore they see male sex workers as doing their jobs voluntarily, while female sex workers are more likely to be trafficked or forced. (ipsnews.net)
- According to recent studies by Nithet Tinnakul from Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University, the number of male sex workers has more than tripled over the past two years to more than 30,000 in 2002. (ipsnews.net)
- He found that male sex workers, some as young as 12, are mostly confined to Bangkok and large cities like Chiang Mai in the north and Phuket in the south. (ipsnews.net)
- Male sex workers catering to foreign and Thai women tend to be older, from 18 to 35 years, while younger prostitutes mostly have gay men visiting from abroad as customers, he said. (ipsnews.net)
- Nithet's study found that male sex workers come from all walks of life - university graduates, office workers, students and street children. (ipsnews.net)
- Maintaining program staff over the long term and using the same staff for street-level outreach and drop-in centre services helps to develop trust between staff and male sex workers. (catie.ca)
- Opportunities to relax, chat and cook meals together facilitates community building among male sex workers. (catie.ca)
- The overall prevalence of the virus in Vancouver is about 1.21% -- six times the national average -- and the HIV prevalence among the city's estimated 20,000 men who have sex with men, including male sex workers, is estimated at 15%, the Sun reports. (ubc.ca)
Involved in the sex trade4
- Nearly half the participants in the study who were involved in the sex trade said they had not carried condoms out of fear that it may get them in trouble with the police or lead to their arrest, PROS sociologists wrote. (freerepublic.com)
- According to the study, the age of the women ranged from 22 to 58, and the number of years they were involved in the sex trade ranged from six to 45. (huffingtonpost.ca)
- In the early years of the HIV epidemic in Africa, female sex workers (FSWs) were identified as a high-prevalence, high-incidence, core group among whom the extraordinary prevalence of other sexually transmitted infections (STIs) facilitated transmission of the virus to their clients, who then infected low-risk women not involved in the sex trade. (clinicaltrials.gov)
- Sex Workers Outreach Project-USA is a national social justice network dedicated to the fundamental human rights of people involved in the sex trade and their communities, focusing on ending violence and stigma through education and advocacy. (swopusa.org)
Working in the sex industry3
- Of course, the Eaves Housing For Women charity have no obligation to measure male prostitution (the report explicitly states that "no information is included regarding men working in the sex industry") - but the same cannot be said for the ONS and Government, especially as they wish to include illegal transactions of drugs and prostitution in the national accounts and overall GDP from this year onwards. (telegraph.co.uk)
- Scarlet Alliance members, through their peer based outreach programs have extensive contact with international sex workers who have migrated to Australia for the purpose of working in the sex industry and this unique knowledge & expertise underpins the Scarlet Alliance perspective on migration and sex work. (scarletalliance.org.au)
- Though based on an intention to help people who are in exploitative situations or working in the sex industry when they would prefer to be doing another job," the report says, "the blanket assumption that all people in the sex trades are victims does us a grave injustice. (villagevoice.com)
- The term sex work refers primarily to prostitution, but also encompasses adult video performers, phone sex operators, webcam models, dancers in strip clubs, and others who provide sexually-related services. (wikipedia.org)
- The debate over sex work is often characterized as an issue of women's rights, especially by those who argue that prostitution is inherently oppressive and seek to criminalize it or keep it illegal, but in fact, there are also many male and non-binary individuals engaged in providing sexual services. (wikipedia.org)
- Most sex workers do not wish to be branded as criminals and regard laws against prostitution, pornography, and other parts of the sex industry as violating their rights. (wikipedia.org)
- In China, most women arrested for prostitution have been found to have active STDs, primarily gonorrhea , but no correlation has been found between HIV and sex work. (thebody.com)
- With shops, restaurants and bars all open again in Germany, where prostitution is legal, sex workers say they are being singled out and deprived of their livelihoods despite not posing a greater health risk. (yahoo.com)
- The anti-establishment Podemos party urged to turn the crisis into an opportunity to open a debate over prostitution and the legal rights of sexual workers, whereas feminist groups have been divided. (foxbusiness.com)
- One such unfortunate trade is prostitution or sex-work. (news24.com)
- Prostitution is illegal in India where, according to the National AIDS Control Organisation, there are 1.2 million sex workers. (medindia.net)
- In the summer of 2010, Ye worked with sex workers in her hometown to organize what is believed to have been the first protest of its kind when a number of the women began asking people to sign a petition calling for an end to discrimination against sex workers and the revocation of laws against prostitution. (thedailybeast.com)
- Though prostitution has been legalized in Amsterdam, the sex worker/activist lamented that she doesn't have the same privileges as other honest workers. (newsbusters.org)
- However, the sex industry should not be seen as limited to prostitution, as Irene Everett's case shows. (libcom.org)
- Previous research on sex work "paints a skewed picture of the complex environment of prostitution," researchers write in a new study. (slate.com)
- Previous research in the area, much of which relied on interviews with a handful of underage sex workers who turn up in rescue institutions, rehabilitation programs, or in jail, "paints a skewed picture of the complex environment of prostitution," they wrote. (slate.com)
- Despite the fact that most prostitution cases do not go to trial, condoms are frequently vouchered and cited in criminal court complaints and supporting depositions as arrest evidence in prostitution-related cases, the authors of a prominent 2012 study conducted by sex worker advocate the PROS Network wrote. (freerepublic.com)
- The study, Public Health Crisis: the Impact of Using Condoms as Evidence of Prostitution in New York City, goes on to say that these policies and practices may have a dangerous impact on safer sex practices in general. (freerepublic.com)
- The persistent relationship between enforcement of prostitution and drug use policies (eg confiscation of drug use paraphernalia without arrest, and enforced displacement to outlying areas) suggests that criminalisation may enhance the likelihood of violence against street-based female sex workers," Professor Shannon said. (politics.co.uk)
- It added that the government periodically carries out vigorous nationwide crackdown campaigns against prostitution and pornography, including raids on sex worker venues and the detention of large numbers of women. (straitstimes.com)
- Sex workers who have reported crimes against them, including rape, have themselves been arrested after revealing to police what they do for a living, Richardson said, as prostitution of any kind is illegal under Chinese law. (straitstimes.com)
- Actions surrounding prostitution are in the criminal code because it was at one point felt that there was no other forms of protection for the front line sex workers, as it is NOT a recognized industry job. (rabble.ca)
- a system of special courts to try people charged with prostitution-related offenses, one meant to help those defendants leave the sex trade by offering them counseling and assistance instead of jail time. (villagevoice.com)
- Prudenti added, "While there still is an antiquated view that prostitution is a chosen profession, many individuals who end up in New York courts on prostitution charges are victims of trafficking, recruited into the commercial sex industry by force, fraud, or coercion. (villagevoice.com)
- Presents a series of 10 info sheets examining the need for reform to Canada's prostitution laws to protect and promote the health and human rights of sex workers. (cwhn.ca)
- It was seized and its founder charged with enabling prostitution and sex trafficking after a raid on Friday. (starobserver.com.au)
- Hookers for Jesus is an absolutely real non-profit organization started by Annie Lobert, a former sex worker, in order to save women from the evils of prostitution via the most condescending and judgy methods possible. (skepchick.org)
- A deeper look though and it's clear that Hookers for Jesus uses the terms "prostitution" and "stripping" and "sex trafficking" interchangeably. (skepchick.org)
- Persons who exchange sex are at increased risk of getting or transmitting HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) because they are more likely to engage in risky sexual behaviors (e.g., sex without a condom, sex with multiple partners) and substance use. (cdc.gov)
- Economics: Persons who exchange sex may receive more money for sex without a condom. (cdc.gov)
- Power dynamics: Unequal power in a relationship with clients may make it difficult for persons who exchange sex to negotiate condom use. (cdc.gov)
- Persons who exchange sex, if under the influence of drugs or alcohol, may have impaired judgment, engage in riskier forms of sex such as anal sex, and have difficulty negotiating safer sex (condom use, for example) with their customers. (cdc.gov)
- Researchers in Spain monitoring rates of HIV infection HIV and sexually transmitted disease said they found a high rate of condom use in female sex workers. (redorbit.com)
- Sex workers are 13 times more at risk of HIV compared with the general population, due to an increased likelihood of being economically vulnerable, unable to negotiate consistent condom use, and experiencing violence, criminalisation and marginalisation. (avert.org)
- In 2015, 32 out of 89 countries reporting on the proportion of sex workers using a condom with their last client reported greater than 90% coverage. (avert.org)
- In a similar study to that mentioned above, non-IV-drug-using female sex workers in Amsterdam reported not only no HIV infection but consistent condom use. (thebody.com)
- I went to the hospital after [End Page 196] a client removed a condom during sex and came on my stomach. (jhu.edu)
- Sex workers have told us that when they ask a client to use a condom, he offers to double the price to have sex without the condom. (voanews.com)
- Approximately 35 minutes in length, Mujer Segura employs motivational techniques to encourage female sex workers to use safer sex practices, and teaches better condom negotiation skills with clients who request unprotected sex. (ucsd.edu)
- I am afraid of getting the disease that's why I use a condom every time I have sex," Bon says, adding that he also has a medical check-up every three months. (ipsnews.net)
- Inconsistent or no condom use among nonbarrier contraceptive users underscores the need to incorporate HIV prevention into family planning interventions, particularly among female sex workers who have children and noncommercial partners. (guttmacher.org)
- Although programs and policies targeting female sex workers emphasize HIV prevention and condom promotion, they typically pay limited attention to the family planning needs of these women. (guttmacher.org)
- 8-11 However, a limitation of most research on dual protection is the focus on method use at last sex, rather than consistency of simultaneous condom and other contraceptive use at each coital act. (guttmacher.org)
- Little is known about the dual protection strategies employed by female sex workers, and measurement of their contraceptive behaviors is complicated by the fact that their condom use varies across partners. (guttmacher.org)
- 12-14 In addition, their reported condom use at last sex or with their most recent partner likely will not accurately represent their consistency of use. (guttmacher.org)
- A New York sex worker told Human Rights Watch as part of the group s 2012 study Sex Workers at Risk that she can only carry one condom because police catch her. (freerepublic.com)
- The study also found that women living in and working from the units felt they increased their control over negotiating sex-work transactions because they could refuse unwanted service, negotiate condom use and avoid violent predators. (huffingtonpost.ca)
- Sex workers need healthcare in their daily lives: if a condom bursts, if they have an STI, or need to be screened for cervical cancer. (msf.org.uk)
- however, despite reports of widespread condom use among female sex workers, evidence indicates that such use is inconsistent. (guttmacher.org)
- Female sex workers may use condoms inconsistently because they lack the autonomy to insist on condom use with husbands, boyfriends or other steady partners, agree to have condomless sex with clients who will pay extra, are unable to negotiate condom use with clients and or are forced to have sex. (guttmacher.org)
- Little is known about their family planning needs or experiences, although behavioral survey data collected in Dhaka in 2006-2007 revealed that levels of consistent condom use among female sex workers were low, while rates of condom breakage were high and experiences of gender-based violence were common. (guttmacher.org)
- Many persons who exchange sex face stigma, poverty, and lack of access to health care and other social services-all of which pose challenges to HIV prevention efforts. (cdc.gov)
- In addition, the stigma that sex workers face can make it hard for them to access healthcare, legal, and social services. (avert.org)
- The stigma attached to sex work, and the criminal sanctions it can entail, make reliable data hard to come by. (thebody.com)
- Melissa Gira Grant views anti-sex work feminism as a contradiction and explores the concepts of 'whore stigma' and the 'rescue industry. (rabble.ca)
- Such failures in justice, combined with a toxic mix of widespread stigma and discrimination against sex workers, is creating an environment in which others in society feel able to commit crimes against them with impunity. (amnesty.org)
- In settings where sex work was criminalised, female sex workers were also more likely to experience violence and stigma in social and healthcare settings. (aidsmap.com)
- The research was conducted in ten countries with different approaches to the criminalisation of sex work, and the investigators conclude that criminalisation and stigma are helping drive the HIV epidemic among sex workers. (aidsmap.com)
- Carrie Lyons of Johns Hopkins University and her colleagues wished to determine the relationship between laws criminalising sex work, sex work-associated stigma and individual HIV risk. (aidsmap.com)
- Evidence from Vancouver and the UK shows that criminalisation reinforced stigma and facilitates violence against sex workers," a spokesperson for the International Union of Sex Workers told politics.co.uk . (politics.co.uk)
- In the past, most sex workers shied away from visiting health centres for fear of discrimination and stigma, especially if they were found HIV positive," said Alice Matambo (real name), an MSF community health worker in Dedza. (msf.org.uk)
- Although the stigma against gay men and tainted blood has been alleviated, the president of a B.C. organization representing sex workers says that this isn't the case for people who make their living in the sex industry. (straight.com)
- The assertion, based on scant evidence, that sex workers generally are high risk for STBBI transmission perpetuates prejudice and stigma within the public health and health care sectors as well as the general public-including clients," the poster states. (straight.com)
- 1-4 Stigma and discrimination, as well as policy and access challenges, discourage female sex workers from using traditional clinic-based services, which has led to alternative models of service delivery that specifically target this population. (guttmacher.org)
- Some of the main drivers of HIV infection among sex workers are actually criminalization of sex work, violence, and stigma. (opensocietyfoundations.org)
- The goals of these movements are diverse, but generally aim to decriminalize and destigmatize sex work, and ensure fair treatment before legal and cultural forces on a local and international level for all persons in the sex industry. (wikipedia.org)
- In most countries, even those where sex work is legal, sex workers of all kind feel that they are stigmatized and marginalized and that this prevents them from seeking legal redress for discrimination (e.g., racial discrimination by a strip club owner, dismissal from a teaching position because of involvement in the sex industry), non-payment by a client, assault, or rape. (wikipedia.org)
- Carol Leigh is credited with coining the term "sex work" in the early 1980s and it was later popularized by a book published in 1989 called Sex Work. (wikipedia.org)
- Another held a colourful home-made placard reading "sex work is work! (yahoo.com)
- The momentous economic and social change in China in recent decades has been accompanied by a sharp increase in inequality and in the numbers of women in sex work. (hrw.org)
- The United Nations, citing Chinese police sources, estimates that four to six million adult women currently engage in sex work. (hrw.org)
- Although sex work is illegal in China, it is ubiquitous, present not only in large cities such as Beijing, Shanghai, and Guangzhou, but also in smaller cities and towns down to the smallest townships in remote rural areas. (hrw.org)
- Sex workers typically work from karaoke bars, hotels, massage parlors, and hair salons, as well as in public parks and streets. (hrw.org)
- Under Chinese law, all aspects of sex work-including solicitation, sale, and purchase of sex-are illegal. (hrw.org)
- Chinese law treats most sex work-related offences as administrative violations, punishable by fines and short periods of police custody or administrative detention rather than criminal penalties. (hrw.org)
- While many of these practices violate Chinese law as well as international human rights law, the government is doing far too little to bring an end to the abuses or to ensure that women in sex work have access to health services. (hrw.org)
- While the intention was to protect people who have been forced into sex work, Human Rights Watch found little evidence that this has happened, or that prosecutions for trafficking have been pursued. (hrw.org)
- Sex work varies between and within countries and communities. (avert.org)
- Sex work may vary in the degree to which it is more or less "formal" or organised, and in the degree to which it is distinct from other social and sexual relationships and types of sexual economic exchange. (avert.org)
- Even though sex work is at least partially legal in some countries, the law rarely protects sex workers. (avert.org)
- Nevertheless, some limited studies have been done around the world in the more than two decades of the pandemic, and the results do not seem to bear out the premise that sex work by itself contributes disproportionately to the spread of the virus. (thebody.com)
- In the Netherlands, where sex work is legal and regulated and where drug use is largely approached from a public health rather than a criminal point of view, both non-IV-drug-using female sex workers and their male clients were found to have an extremely low incidence of HIV, and that was concentrated among sex workers who had recently come from AIDS-endemic countries. (thebody.com)
- Interestingly, the Chinese government has suggested a link between HIV and sex work as part of its campaign to eliminate the sex trade, even as it denies that HIV is a public health problem within its borders. (thebody.com)
- Thailand, on the other hand, has often been cited as a model for government regulation of sex work. (thebody.com)
- Dr Thomas Crofts, a contributor to Columbia University Press's recent collection of essays, Male Sex Work and Society, agrees that, on the whole, "sex work policies are driven by concerns about women as workers and when males are thought of in relation to sex work it is generally as clients. (telegraph.co.uk)
- I decide I'm finally going to quit my job and work as a sex-appeal coach. (nymag.com)
- I go on two interviews and have two offers: I can either be a sex coach or work in a non-sex publishing firm. (nymag.com)
- Your nearby sex perform venture can recommend you on dressing safely and securely for work or scroll down this page and look below the heading Dressing for Work. (dailystrength.org)
- South Korea introduced a raft of new laws against sex work in 2004. (opendemocracy.net)
- To protect women both the criminalisation of sex work and. (opendemocracy.net)
- Sex work in Argentina is legal, but since 2011 the anti-trafficking agenda has increasingly threatened that status. (opendemocracy.net)
- Sex work is a social and not a criminal issue! (opendemocracy.net)
- The sex workers' movement demands full decriminalisation of sex work, but this will only help sex workers already. (opendemocracy.net)
- Sex work has long been a site for contesting sexuality, womanhood, race, and patriarchy. (ssrn.com)
- This controversy is evident in the feminist legal scholarship, where there have been substantial debates between radical feminists, who advocate for the eventual abolition of sex work and criminalization of the purchasers of sex, and other feminists, who argue that sex workers should have the autonomy to sell sex. (ssrn.com)
- Radical feminists are particularly concerned with the structural harms of sex work and have formed alliances with groups that oppose sex work due to moralistic reasons. (ssrn.com)
- Like radical feminism, this Article considers the structural harms of sex work in assessing whether it should be criminalized. (ssrn.com)
- However, this Article arrives at a very different conclusion and challenges the radical feminist approach to sex work, by arguing that the harms of any form of criminalization, particularly to individuals with intersectional identities, are overlooked in much of the radical feminist literature on sex work. (ssrn.com)
- This Article incorporates empirical research from nearly two years of ethnographic fieldwork in Johannesburg, South Africa, to illustrate the ways that criminalizing any aspect of the sex work transaction, including the demand-side, is problematic. (ssrn.com)
- Moreover, the essentialist framing of the harms of sex work in the radical feminist literature is itself a reproduction of patriarchy and white supremacy, often silencing the voices and experiences of sex workers of color. (ssrn.com)
- In this second part of a five-part series on the most vulnerable groups to HIV infection in Africa, Phuong Tran reports from Dakar on one woman's search for a way to get out of sex work and the money that keeps her in it. (voanews.com)
- She turned to what she says was easy money in sex work. (voanews.com)
- But she says the money is not enough to leave sex work completely. (voanews.com)
- Following over two years of consultations with sex workers and human rights experts in member countries globally, a leading human rights organization, Amnesty International, put forward a draft policy in support of decriminalization of sex work as critical to ensuring the human rights of all citizens. (huffingtonpost.ca)
- But it came as little surprise to social workers in this Amazon port city that sits along a major cocaine shipment route, where education is scarce and legitimate work hard to come by. (huffingtonpost.ca)
- Drawing on a review of published epidemiological studies and modeling of HIV epidemics in the global south and north, the research demonstrates that decriminalization of sex work could have the largest impact on the HIV response in sex work, averting between 33-46 per cent of HIV infections over the next decade. (huffingtonpost.ca)
- Other leading international health policy and human rights bodies, including World Health Organization (WHO) , the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS), United Nations United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the Global Commission on HIV and the Law , have clearly called for decriminalization of sex work as necessary to meeting the health and human rights of sex workers. (huffingtonpost.ca)
- In spite of explicit language in Amnesty International's draft policy to continue to uphold all laws against violence, gender inequity, forced labour and human trafficking of any kind (including for purposes of sexual exploitation), there remains conflation of policies and laws regarding sex work and the challenges of human trafficking. (huffingtonpost.ca)
- But the data make clear that criminalization of sex work addresses neither of these important issues. (huffingtonpost.ca)
- Amnesty International's decision to support decriminalization of sex work has been met with controversy in the progressive community. (rabble.ca)
- A new study launched at the International AIDS Conference concludes that decriminalizing sex work could avert nearly one-third of new HIV infections among sex workers and their clients. (rabble.ca)
- By conflating human dignity with the discouragement of sex work, the government is implying that it is only by exiting the industry that a sex worker can attain self-worth. (rabble.ca)
- Sex work organizing, for me, has never been just about fighting for sex workers' rights -- it is also the place where I feel most at home. (rabble.ca)
- Peter MacKay's latest nonsensical move is Canada's new sex work legislation. (rabble.ca)
- Find the new sex work law confusing? (rabble.ca)
- Here is a great primer on the history of sex work laws in Canada, what the new law means and what each side thinks. (rabble.ca)
- The conversation around sex work is nuanced and contentious. (rabble.ca)
- Sex workers that we spoke to, and sex worker organizations, told us that women, transgender people and men often enter sex work as a means of survival or to support their families. (amnesty.org)
- Our research highlights that a key factor fueling this situation is the criminalization of sex work. (amnesty.org)
- Laws that make it illegal to live off the earnings of sex work and to organize commercial sex mean that police, amongst others, can abuse sex workers with impunity. (amnesty.org)
- Laws criminalizing sex work are rarely enforced through prosecutions before a court of law. (amnesty.org)
- The illegal nature of sex work makes it difficult for sex workers to report crimes committed against them and to seek equal protection under the law. (amnesty.org)
- Ongoing criminalization of sex work also impacts on an individual's health rights. (amnesty.org)
- The Kolkata meeting will deliberate on the "Seven Freedoms" - the right to move, work, have access to healthcare, participate, organise, be free of violence and discrimination without which sex workers say they cannot reduce their vulnerability to HIV. (hindustantimes.com)
- But "the US government's travel restriction for sex workers will bar many of them from attending the conference," Andrew Hunter, president of the Global Network of sex work projects, said in Kolkata. (hindustantimes.com)
- In Europe's red-light capital Amsterdam, sex work is due to officially resume in September. (thejakartapost.com)
- Melissa Gira Grant, former sex worker and author of the new book Playing the Whore: The Work of Sex Work , argues for a more holistic understanding of individuals who work as prostitutes. (bigthink.com)
- This view departs from the "sex wars" of the 80s and 90s when the question of sex work was posed in stark terms of either exploitation or empowerment. (bigthink.com)
- A peculiar feature of sex work, however, is that no consumer-based movement has self-generated to demand ethical conditions, rights, and fair pay for workers. (bigthink.com)
- The officers took help from NGOs like Prerna Foundation, Apne Aap Collective, Rescue Foundation for their work for the sex workers and Arzoo Foundation to provide assistance to the transgender community. (hindustantimes.com)
- BANGKOK, Nov 22 2002 (IPS) - Bon, 18, says that being in sex work earns him more than enough money for his needs, but he still hopes to do something else in the future. (ipsnews.net)
- He also knows that health and other risks from his sex work exist, ranging from sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) to HIV/AIDS. (ipsnews.net)
- Rather than attacking the risky practice that contributes to human trafficking , sexual abuse, and organized crime, CNN decided to attack the very people who recognize these dangers to women and to society in general, making the reckless argument that "some people" who "believe sex work is offensive to women" are contributing to sex workers' crises. (newsbusters.org)
- Every barber and bookkeeper can work from their homes, but we can't because we're sex workers. (newsbusters.org)
- Shackleton claimed the core of the issue is that "some people believe sex work is offensive to women. (newsbusters.org)
- Sex work has become about morality and making sure women behave in a way that's expected," Shackleton said, adding, "That's the fundamental problem. (newsbusters.org)
- Limited information is available on sex work in Armenia. (hindawi.com)
- Sex work in Armenia is considered illegal under civil code, but it is not prosecuted by the criminal code. (hindawi.com)
- The largest and most disadvantaged are the "street" sex workers who work individually, without protection from pimps or their peers. (hindawi.com)
- 8 Minutes will follow retired Orange County police officer and clergyman Kevin Brown as he attempts to convince women to leave sex work behind. (thedailybeast.com)
- They describe him as being part of the " rescue industry ," a term coined by sociologist Dr. Laura Agustín to describe moralistic interventions into sex work worldwide. (thedailybeast.com)
- The "rescue industry" most directly describes anti-trafficking organizations like the Coalition Against Trafficking in Women , which advocate for the global criminalization of sex work. (thedailybeast.com)
- To be sure, forced labor-including forced sex work-are real phenomena but, as journalist and author Melissa Gira Grant notes in the Guardian , current statistics on "trafficking" often include-and, by association, demonize-all forms of sex work, whether coerced or not. (thedailybeast.com)
- These texts and organizations circulate powerful but often misleading images of victimized women in need of First World saviors, images that guide us into viewing sex work as an inherently degrading trade that no one could ever choose. (thedailybeast.com)
- Sex work has long been legal in countries like the Netherlands. (freethoughtblogs.com)
- The petitioners claim that legal sex work leads to exploitation and human trafficking. (freethoughtblogs.com)
- If this happens sex workers will work illegally. (freethoughtblogs.com)
- Of course, sex work should be legal. (coyoteblog.com)
- Indeed, importing sex workers globally would be increase the incentives for American men to work hard. (coyoteblog.com)
- When Dr. Anthony Marcus , chair of the anthropology department at New York's John Jay College of Criminal Justice, kicked off a massive study of underage sex work in America in 2008, finding interview subjects was easy. (slate.com)
- And "all sex workers in both Atlantic City and New York City described experiencing increasing, rather than decreasing, agency and control over their work over time. (slate.com)
- It explicitly recommends the decriminalization of consensual adult sex work and drugs for personal use. (thebody.com)
- The presence of laws criminalising sex work is associated with a sevenfold increase in the odds of HIV infection among female sex workers in sub-Saharan Africa, according to research presented to the recent 10th International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Science (IAS 2019) in Mexico City. (aidsmap.com)
- These countries have differing laws on sex work: criminalised, partially legalised, or no specific mention of sex work in legal codes. (aidsmap.com)
- and, to determine the association between sex work laws and HIV prevalence among female sex workers. (aidsmap.com)
- All the participants were aged 18 years and older (median 27 years), were cisgender and derived at least half their income from sex work. (aidsmap.com)
- Over half (56%) were living in settings where sex work is criminalised, 26% in settings with partial decriminalisation and 17% where the legality of sex work is not specified in legal codes. (aidsmap.com)
- Taken together, the research provides a devastating critique of the government's policy platform, which was based on an attempt to end the trafficking of women into the UK to work in the sex industry. (politics.co.uk)
- She said the new bill dangerously conflates sex work with human trafficking. (thestar.com)
- The efforts should be put into minimizing the role of police and in decriminalizing sex work, she said. (thestar.com)
- Same-sex relations, drug use and sex work are all criminalised offences in Uganda. (avert.org)
- Richardson said there had been "an extraordinary boom in sex work" since Chinese economic reform began in the late 1970s and there were now an estimated four to six million sex workers in China. (straitstimes.com)
- Spokeswoman Ann Lee also called for the Chinese government to decriminalise sex work and make it a legitimate job to prevent future abuses. (straitstimes.com)
- Respecting consenting adults' autonomy to choose to engage in voluntary sex work is consistent with respect for their human rights," it said, adding that criminalisation prevented sex workers from accessing justice and government protection from violence. (straitstimes.com)
- I think it's an important distinction to make when looking at sex work. (rabble.ca)
- Polunitic, but really, the whole thing is, decriminalization, as opposed to creating a front line sex work job industry, that renders the need for any criminalization, null and void, would make in essence tafficking legal, in Canada. (rabble.ca)
- All front line sex work activities would exist outside of the Industry Canada and social safety net frameworks, unless it was designated an"Industry" and the appropriate structures were built around it. (rabble.ca)
- In southern Malawi, an MSF project is helping thousands of women who earn their living from sex work to overcome barriers in accessing healthcare - partly by training and employing some as community health workers. (msf.org.uk)
- In Malawi, where poverty and unemployment remain high, many women like Bernadette turn to sex work - offering sexual services in exchange for payment of some sort - to support themselves and their families. (msf.org.uk)
- To connect with sex workers in the towns of Dedza, Mwanza, Zalewa and Nsanje, MSF has trained sex workers like Emily and Alice as community health workers - as they have themselves experienced the challenges and dangers associated with sex work. (msf.org.uk)
- The factors leading individuals into sex work are as varied as hair colors, yet sex workers are viewed as powerless individuals who must be rescued. (cokesbury.com)
- Author Lia Scholl firmly believes the Christian response to sex work should be one of building agency for women, through education, through fighting injustice, by listening to the voices of sex workers. (cokesbury.com)
- The signatories of this online manifesto, who are women's rights, feminist, and sex workers' rights organisations and collectives, express support for sex workers' self-determination and the recognition of sex work as work. (aidsactioneurope.org)
- Sex Trafficking: The Abolitionist Fallacy , by Ann Jordon, March 2009 "Effective change comes from the bottom up, within the affected community where the persons who are the most knowledgeable and motivated live and work. (scarletalliance.org.au)
- In other words, from the start, the Human Trafficking Intervention Courts (HTICs) assumed that there was little difference between victims of trafficking and people voluntarily undertaking sex work. (villagevoice.com)
- We know that if we do not work with sex workers and other marginalized and vulnerable groups, we cannot win the fight against HIV. (theglobalfund.org)
- They also work to keep Dorah and other sex workers living with HIV on treatment. (theglobalfund.org)
- Dorah says she would like to quit sex work and do something else - if she could just save enough to start a small business. (theglobalfund.org)
- I feel this is a direct barrier to legal reforms that would make sex work a legal business-and a direct barrier to a professional association for sex workers," Sorfleet maintained. (straight.com)
- An Australian government worker hurt while having sex in her hotel room while on a work trip is entitled to worker's compensation, a federal court judge ruled. (nbcchicago.com)
- 16 The majority of sex workers in Bangladesh are either hotel- or street-based, but some work in brothels or residences. (guttmacher.org)
- A major sex work advertising website has been seized and shut down by the FBI, affecting sex workers in Australia. (starobserver.com.au)
- Backpage was a popular site for sex workers, and the primary source of work for many gay and trans workers. (starobserver.com.au)
- The shutdown is part of a wider international crackdown by US authorities on sex work and sexual content online, following passage of the Stop Enabling Sex Traffickers Act and Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act ( SESTA-FOSTA ). (starobserver.com.au)
- Elle said many trans women have chosen sex work in part because of difficulty finding mainstream jobs due to transphobia. (starobserver.com.au)
- She said that others may move to doing street-based work and sex for favours. (starobserver.com.au)
- She said the US crackdown on sex work follows years of overzealous local police activity in enforcing industry laws. (starobserver.com.au)
- Queensland sex worker organisation Respect Inc has launched a campaign calling for decriminalisation of sex work in the state, which would see workers free to conduct their businesses like any other. (starobserver.com.au)
- The criminalization of sex work has dire consequences for the safety and health of sex workers. (opensocietyfoundations.org)
- With sex work pushed underground, recent research has shown a strong correlation between criminalization and the risk of HIV infection. (opensocietyfoundations.org)
- Supervised by an attorney at the Women's Legal Centre -an organization dedicated to equality for women-four former and current sex workers work as paralegals. (opensocietyfoundations.org)
- They work in close collaboration with the Sex Worker Education and Advocacy Task Force , a sex worker support and advocacy group, and Sisonke, which is South Africa's leading sex worker movement. (opensocietyfoundations.org)
- A great clip that captures the importance of the paralegal project and highlights some of the issues around the criminalisation of sex work. (opensocietyfoundations.org)
- it is very nice to sex work res are fighting for theirs right. (opensocietyfoundations.org)
- Hookers for Jesus wants to "save" women from sex work. (skepchick.org)
- Hookers for Jesus considers all sex work to be sex trafficking. (skepchick.org)
- To Hookers for Jesus, any woman in sex work is there against her will. (skepchick.org)
- Sometimes that will is her decision to be a sex worker, which she thinks she made all on her own, but Hookers for Jesus knows that women who choose sex work choose it because they are just misguided and haven't come to Jesus yet, something which they will fix by giving them a gift basket . (skepchick.org)
- They seem entirely focused on converting current or former sex workers to Christianity and convincing sex workers to leave sex work. (skepchick.org)
- Other programs fund a team of volunteers to give Jesus-themed gift baskets to strippers or prostitutes in order to convince them to quit sex work and convert to Christianity. (skepchick.org)
- They also run religious events and support groups for former or current sex workers looking to leave sex work. (skepchick.org)
- The only programs they run that might actually be helpful for sex workers who want to leave sex work is their financial support network and safe house , which provides monetary help and a safe place to stay to sex workers who are trying to leave the industry and need help transitioning. (skepchick.org)
- Instead, they are focused on converting sex workers to Christianity and convincing them to leave sex work. (skepchick.org)
- The fact that they don't even distinguish between women who are forced into sex work against their will, those that don't want to be sex workers but economically feel they have no choice, and those that choose to be sex workers because they want to be is telling. (skepchick.org)
- To Hookers for Jesus all women in sex work are sex trafficking victims that need to be saved. (skepchick.org)
- Hookers for Jesus treats all sex workers as victims and strongly implies that women who choose sex work are making a misguided choice. (skepchick.org)
Violence against sex4
- London (AFP) - Prostitutes held a candlelit vigil in London on Wednesday to mark the international day to end violence against sex workers. (yahoo.com)
- It found a direct correlation between criminalisation and increased violence against sex workers. (politics.co.uk)
- Activist and educator Robyn Maynard, author of "Policing Black Lives," said Bill 251 does not facilitate ending violence against sex workers or protect people from domestic abuse, because police "are not a solution to gendered violence. (thestar.com)
- For instance, recent research presented in The Lancet showed that elimination of violence against sex workers could avert 17-20% of new HIV infections over the next decade. (opensocietyfoundations.org)
- Understanding bridging behaviors of clients of female sex workers (FSWs) is important for projecting and intervening in the spread of sexually transmitted infections in Vietnam. (springer.com)
- This cross-sectional study assessed the prevalence and correlates of inconsistent refusal of unprotected sex among female sex workers (FSWs) in Armenia. (hindawi.com)
- HIV-risk-reduction behavioral interventions tailored to FSWs working in Yerevan Armenia should address the factors identified in this study toward the goal of enhancing refusal of unprotected sex and ultimately preventing acquisition of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) including HIV. (hindawi.com)
- According to UNAIDS report for Eastern Europe, female sex workers (FSWs) are one of the groups at the highest risk for HIV acquisition [ 1 ]. (hindawi.com)
- They added, "One in four FSWs [female sex workers], however, reported instances of non-availability of the condoms when needed, and this is an issue of concern. (bmj.com)
- Acceptability of pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) and willingness to participate in a clinical trial for both safety and efficacy of PrEP were investigated among female sex workers (FSWs) in Guangxi, China. (plos.org)
- According to statistics from local Center for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC), there were at least 50,000 female sex workers (FSWs) in Guangxi in 2009, although the actual number is believed to be substantially higher  . (plos.org)
Make sex workers2
- We hope this conference will make sex workers' voices louder and stronger," Jana said outside the conference auditorium on the eastern fringes of the West Bengal state capital. (hindustantimes.com)
- I argued that Conservatives trying to take down Backpage adult ads ostensibly to make sex workers safer should look in the mirror, given that most of the reason sex workers are at risk is because Conservatives have driven their profession underground. (coyoteblog.com)
Former sex workers2
Commercial sex workers4
- Stayfree India's Project Free Period entails three-day training modules for commercial sex workers, where they are taught a range of skills that include henna art, candle-making, embroidery and a basics beauticians' course. (prnewswire.com)
- Sexual behavioural study of commercial sex workers and their. (lww.com)
- South-east Asia is one of the regions where HIV/AIDS is highly epidemic, with Thailand and Vietnam famous for epidemics of HIV among commercial sex workers (CSW). (lww.com)
- A recent study conducted by the British Columbia Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS found that 26% of Vancouver's up to 520 female commercial sex workers and 17% of the city's injection drug users are HIV-positive, the Vancouver Sun reports. (ubc.ca)
- Condoms are highly effective in preventing a person from getting or transmitting HIV infection if used the right way every time during sex. (cdc.gov)
- Persons who exchange sex may not use condoms consistently. (cdc.gov)
- Partner type: Persons who exchange sex may use condoms less often with regular clients than with one-time clients and even less frequently with intimate partners. (cdc.gov)
- People who trade sex for drugs tend to have more clients, use condoms less often, and are more likely to share needles and other drug works. (cdc.gov)
- Women interviewed for this report told Human Rights Watch of arbitrary fines, of possession of condoms used as evidence against them, of being detained following sex with undercover police officers, and of having almost no hope of winning remedies for rights violations by clients, bosses, or state agents. (hrw.org)
- The researchers found that 95.5 percent of the sex workers used condoms during vaginal sex with clients, but that they did not ordinarily use them with their regular partners. (redorbit.com)
- To avoid arrest that can involve violence, rape and other trauma, many sex workers try to avoid things that may identify them as sex workers - like carrying condoms or visiting health clinics for check-ups. (avert.org)
- Conversely, a small group of transgender Dutch sex workers among whom there was a fairly high incidence of HIV reported not using condoms during receptive anal sex. (thebody.com)
- Free condoms were given to brothels, and sex workers were told to insist on condoms. (thebody.com)
- It will not only give them free condoms but also advise them on safe sex practices," said Laxmi Mali, a senior doctor working in one such clinic in Budhwar Peth. (medindia.net)
- We heard reports of sex workers being forced to chew and swallow condoms. (amnesty.org)
- A bad situation is made worse by the police using condoms as evidence against sex workers - leaving many reluctant to carry and use condoms. (amnesty.org)
- A better understanding of sex workers' use of condoms and nonbarrier methods is needed to help them meet their contraceptive and STI protection needs. (guttmacher.org)
- Specifically, female sex workers use condoms less consistently with more intimate, noncommercial partners than with paying clients. (guttmacher.org)
- Experts said that the issue may be contributing to a public health crisis in which sex workers are beginning to use condoms less frequently. (freerepublic.com)
- Community based HIV prevention programmes among female sex workers in rural India can substantially increase the use of condoms, HIV counselling, and testing services, a new study has found. (bmj.com)
- Female sex workers in these villages received condoms and education on how to use them correctly, and their use of STI services and HIV counselling was also assessed. (bmj.com)
- Washington and his colleagues found that, in the community based programme, 95% of the female sex workers were reached at least once, 80.3% received condoms as they needed, and 71% received health services for STIs. (bmj.com)
- When I became a sex worker I didn't know anything about condoms, or any other family planning methods. (msf.org.uk)
- Almost all participants reported having used condoms in the past 30 days, and 44% of hotel-based sex workers and 30% of street-based sex workers reported dual method use during that period. (guttmacher.org)
- On top of these abuses, fear of arrest and detention forces sex workers underground, making outreach to find those who have been trafficked or on issues such as HIV/AIDS more difficult. (hrw.org)
- A special clinic on wheels is being launched for sex workers in Pune that would provide AIDS counseling and treatment for sexually transmitted disease along with blood test facilities all for free of cost. (medindia.net)
- A mobile clinic that would provide blood test facilities, treatment for sexually transmitted diseases and AIDS counselling to thousands of sex workers for free is being launched here in April. (medindia.net)
- The marginalised women have to play a greater role in curbing AIDS in the country and we hope the new initiative would also help thousands of sex workers to understand their role for a healthy society. (medindia.net)
- Ndeye Astou Diop, president of Aboya, a non-profit that works with HIV positive women, says this economic desperation makes sex workers even more powerless in the fight against AIDS. (voanews.com)
- Hundreds of sex workers from around the world who said they were denied visas to attend an international AIDS conference in the United States began their own meeting in Kolkata on Saturday in protest. (hindustantimes.com)
- Sex workers wanted to be a part of the US conference to fight the challenge of HIV/AIDS across the world," said Bharati De, secretary of the Committee for Coordination of Indomitable Women, which represents sex workers in Kolkata. (hindustantimes.com)
- Actually, Ye, 37, is a well-known advocate for the rights of sex workers and AIDS victims, and she came here in January to get a first-hand feel for the lives of the young women she's been defending for years, and to show her compassion for the many poor men who frequent such brothels. (thedailybeast.com)
- According to sex worker advocate Sally Shackleton of the HIV/AIDS Alliance, this has all been due to society's "moral objections," which in turn lead to the the flawed politics that allow for the harsh policing, legal and health risks that they face. (newsbusters.org)
- However, thus far the country has been spared from a generalized HIV/AIDS epidemic: the estimated adult prevalence in Armenia is 0.2%, and the virus is concentrated in high-risk groups including female sex workers [ 1 - 4 ]. (hindawi.com)
- Meaning sex workers should be given their rights just like the other group but also won't it increase the spread of HIV/AIDS amongst the community? (opensocietyfoundations.org)
- Human Rights Watch recently spoke with more than 90 female and transgender sex workers who said that police had beaten them with their fists, sticks, and electronic shock batons. (hrw.org)
- 3 In eastern and southern Africa, HIV prevalence among female sex workers is often extremely high. (avert.org)
- In Glasgow, where HIV rates are low even among IV drug users and where almost 75% of female sex workers also inject drugs, all of the HIV-positive sex workers studied have been found to be IV drug users. (thebody.com)
- The narrative often focuses around the need to regulate female sex workers and forgets about their male counterparts. (telegraph.co.uk)
- An Iranian official has called for the sterilization of female sex workers and homeless drug addicts in Tehran to prevent 'social harm. (rferl.org)
- A team of researchers from the University of California San Diego and Mexico has found that even a modest behavioral intervention program averaging just 35 minutes can measurably reduce the incidence of HIV and sexually transmitted infections (STIs) among female sex workers in the U.S.-Mexico border region - and that the program succeeds at comparatively little expense. (ucsd.edu)
- Using a sophisticated modeling system, researchers studied how a hypothetical group of 1,000 female sex workers in the U.S.-Mexico border region would respond to a previously tested behavioral intervention program called Mujer Segura or Healthy Woman. (ucsd.edu)
- Earlier research had shown that Mujer Segura was effective in a study of 600 female sex workers in Tijuana and Ciudad Juarez, but questions lingered about comparative affordability. (ucsd.edu)
- Researchers modeled the effect of 1,000 female sex workers receiving Mujer Segura intervention training once, annually and not at all. (ucsd.edu)
- The rise in the prevalence of HIV and sexually transmitted infections (STIs) is particularly notable among female sex workers. (ucsd.edu)
- For example, a 1997 study estimated HIV prevalence among female sex workers in Mexico City at 0.6 percent. (ucsd.edu)
- In 2006, however the Mujer Segura study of female sex workers in Tijuana and Ciudad Juarez found a prevalence of 6 percent, and 12 percent among those who injected drugs. (ucsd.edu)
- Programs aimed at reducing HIV and STIs among female sex workers are crucial, said Rodriguez at CENSIDA, because they help reduce disease transmission between high-risk groups and the general population in areas with concentrated epidemics. (ucsd.edu)
- An open letter penned by four female aid workers attracted more than 1,000 signatures from other women in the sector, from Britain and the United States to Jordan, South Sudan and Haiti. (reuters.com)
- She says that Empower has found that sex workers, whether male or female, are not always forced by traffickers or criminals and may go into the sex industry out of their own choice. (ipsnews.net)
- Female sex workers are at heightened risk of both HIV infection and unwanted pregnancy. (guttmacher.org)
- A 2011 respondent-driven sampling survey collected reproductive health and contraceptive use data from 325 female sex workers in Swaziland. (guttmacher.org)
- However, for many women-particularly female sex workers, who have frequent sex with multiple partners-the use of two methods for every sex act may be burdensome and unrealistic. (guttmacher.org)
- In their sample, only 14 percent of female underage sex workers in New York City (and 6 percent of the males) had a pimp. (slate.com)
- Among the community of over 10,000 sex workers there is an aggressive spread of sexually transmitted disease & female urinary tract infections, which causes severe ill health among the women. (change.org)
- They therefore analysed data from cross-sectional surveys of approximately 7000 female sex workers in ten countries in Western Africa (Burkino Faso, Senegal, Côte d'Ivoire, Guinea-Bissau, The Gambia), Central Africa (Cameroon) and Southern Africa (Lesotho, eSwatini, South Africa). (aidsmap.com)
- VANCOUVER - Female sex workers living in and operating from supportive-housing units have less adversarial relations with police, says a new study. (huffingtonpost.ca)
- Based on interviews with 39 women living on Vancouver's Downtown Eastside, the study also found female sex workers living in the housing units were exposed to less violence and disease, such as HIV. (huffingtonpost.ca)
- According to the report's author, Professor Kate Shannon, factors such as being forced to service clients in cars or public places, inability to access drug treatment and a prior assault by police all correlated with violence against female sex workers. (politics.co.uk)
- It noted that, in India, the HIV epidemic is concentrated in high risk groups, such as intravenous drug users, men who have sex with men, female sex workers, and people who attend sexually transmitted infection (STI) clinics. (bmj.com)
- The researchers examined the changes in behavioural outcomes among 14 284 rural female sex workers who participated in a community based HIV prevention programme in eight districts of Karnataka that had high HIV prevalence. (bmj.com)
- James Blanchard, professor and director at the University of Manitoba's Centre for Global Public Health in Canada, said that the study illustrated the importance of considering female sex workers' needs in rural areas, in order for programmes and services to reduce their vulnerability to HIV. (bmj.com)
- He told The BMJ , "Traditionally, HIV programmes for female sex workers are focused in urban areas, despite growing evidence from many regions of large populations of female sex workers in rural areas. (bmj.com)
- Evaluation of a community based HIV preventive intervention for female sex workers in rural areas of Karnataka state, south India. (bmj.com)
- In China, street-based sex workers (SSWs) are a subgroup of female sex workers with a particularly high risk of HIV/STI infections but are neglected in responses to HIV. (mdpi.com)
- Little is known about the sexual and reproductive health care needs of female sex workers in Dhaka, Bangladesh. (guttmacher.org)
- Survey data were collected from 354 hotel-based and 323 street-based female sex workers using a venue-based stratified cluster sampling approach. (guttmacher.org)
- In addition, in-depth interviews were conducted with 20 female sex workers recruited from drop-in centers. (guttmacher.org)
- The prevalence of unmet need was 25% among hotel-based female sex workers and 36% among street-based female sex workers. (guttmacher.org)
- Female sex workers in Dhaka need family planning and other sexual and reproductive health services and prefer receiving them from drop-in centers. (guttmacher.org)
- Female sex workers have a broad range of sexual and reproductive health needs, which mounting evidence indicates are not being met. (guttmacher.org)
- this means that many of female sex workers' reproductive health needs, including family planning, are frequently neglected. (guttmacher.org)
- The lifetime prevalence of abortion among female sex workers in Asia and Africa ranges from 22% to 86%, 6-9,12-14 suggesting that sex workers' pregnancies frequently are unintended. (guttmacher.org)
- 13,15 Indeed, the levels of contraceptive use reported by female sex workers in various countries indicate a strong desire to avoid unintended pregnancy. (guttmacher.org)
- Nine hundred and sixty HIV uninfected female sex workers in Phnom Penh will be enrolled in the trial. (clinicaltrials.gov)
- For all too many people in the sex trade, the importance of safe sex is outweighed by the importance of avoiding police harassment, humiliation, sexual and physical abuse, and arrest, as well as the potential indirect consequences of arrest, the study stated. (freerepublic.com)
- As has been stated many times on this forum, testing is rarely recommended after single episodes of unprotected sex, except in particularly high risk situations -- e.g. if a partner is KNOWN to have HIV, anal sex between men of unknown status, and so on. (medhelp.org)
- I call my boyfriend because I just can't take it anymore and I'm willing to settle for phone sex. (nymag.com)
- The phone-sex idea is a huge bust, and I now realize just how long this weekend is going to be. (nymag.com)
- I'm starting to think I want to become a phone-sex operator again, which used to be my job. (nymag.com)
- Not sure if it's because I actually want to be a phone-sex operator or because I haven't gotten any all weekend and I just need some excitement. (nymag.com)
- Organised by the English Collective of Prostitutes, the protesters held signs such as "Criminalisation makes sex workers vulnerable to rape, decriminalise now! (yahoo.com)
Percent of the sex workers1
- Our target is to bring 50 percent of the sex workers of the country under the insurance coverage by 2008," Jana said. (medindia.net)
- In Eswatini (previously known as Swaziland), Lesotho, Malawi, South Africa and Zimbabwe more than 50% of sex workers are living with HIV. (avert.org)
- Outside of Africa, the incidence of HIV among sex workers is generally about the same as in the population as a whole. (thebody.com)
- However, the rate of new infections among sex workers in most settings across sub-Saharan Africa has at the very least remained stable and in some cases increased. (aidsmap.com)
- Now, through an innovative program in Cape Town, South Africa, sex workers confront this situation with peer support and legal advice. (opensocietyfoundations.org)
- The French state ostensibly sees sex workers as victims, but its combined legal framework positions them first and. (opendemocracy.net)
- When Peter Mackay cast sex workers as 'victims' and clients as 'perverts' this binary framework intended to limit opposition to Bill C-36 and silence the discussion of the nuances of the sex industry. (rabble.ca)
- By framing all sex workers as 'victims' and all buyers as 'perverts' MacKay is actually endangering more lives. (rabble.ca)
- Are Sex Workers Victims or Empowered Individuals? (bigthink.com)
- The idea that all sex workers are victims who want to be "rescued" is so pervasive that some clients regularly try to convince sex workers to give up their trade-they just usually don't bring a camera crew along with them. (thedailybeast.com)
- Why Are New York Courts Lumping in Sex Workers With the Victims of Human Trafficking? (villagevoice.com)
- Hookers for Jesus' website makes it clear that they are all about helping victims of sex trafficking. (skepchick.org)
- Hookers for Jesus does nothing to help actual sex trafficking victims. (skepchick.org)
- Although Hookers for Jesus wants you to think they are helping sex trafficking victims, none of their programs seem to do anything to address actual sex trafficking. (skepchick.org)
- Even giving them the benefit of the doubt that their monetary fund and safe house do not have stringent requirements on the women they are purporting to help, not one of their programs addresses actual sex trafficking victims as they claim. (skepchick.org)
- According to Uganda's last narrative report to UNAIDS on the HIV epidemic, HIV prevalence among men who have sex with men (sometimes referred to as MSM) was 13.7%, and up to 34.2% for sex workers. (avert.org)
- Proof of this can be seen in countries such as Cambodia, the Dominican Republic, India and Thailand, where reductions in national HIV prevalence have been helped by initiatives targeting sex workers and their clients. (avert.org)
- Sex workers in India now have the option of taking out life insurance cover -- a move they hope will speed up their bid to legalise the profession, a charity said Monday. (medindia.net)
- Sex workers approached Life Insurance Corporation of India, which agreed to provide insurance coverage," said Smarajit Jana, chief adviser to Durbar Mahila Samanwaya Committee (Committee for Indomitable Women), a group representing 65,000 sex workers. (medindia.net)
- An official of the state-run Life Insurance Corporation of India, Gita Chatterjee, said the company "is ready to sell the concept Jevan Madhur plan as a micro insurance policy specially designed for sex workers. (medindia.net)
- Its good to finally see the sex workers in India get insurance. (medindia.net)
- Its going to help the familys of the sex workers and the over all curancy in India. (medindia.net)
- Some 550 representatives of sex workers from India and 41 other countries were attending the seven day event in the eastern Indian city, organisers said. (hindustantimes.com)
- Did you know that 40% of sex workers in India are children? (marieclaire.co.uk)
- Can Sex Workers Claim Human Rights In India? (igi-global.com)
- Since they are entitled to live with dignity under article 21 of the Constitution of India, we are of the opinion that sex workers obviously cannot lead a life of dignity as long as they remain sex workers and their problems also need to be addressed. (igi-global.com)
Needs of sex workers2
- More research needs to be done by library and information science professionals to determine the information needs of sex workers and the agencies that provide them with health and social services. (nih.gov)
- Recognising these gaps, MSF has been working with the Ministry of Health to provide services that meet the specific needs of sex workers. (msf.org.uk)
Rights of Sex Workers7
- Sex workers' rights encompass a variety of aims being pursued globally by individuals and organizations that specifically involve the human, health, and labor rights of sex workers and their clients. (wikipedia.org)
- The policy recognizes decriminalization as a key measure for protecting the human rights of sex workers globally and will be discussed and voted on at the International Council Meeting to be held later this week in Dublin, Ireland. (huffingtonpost.ca)
- We spoke with Amnesty International Canada about Amnesty's new policy on protecting the human rights of sex workers, which rejects the Nordic model. (rabble.ca)
- The International Committee on the Rights of Sex Workers in Europe (ICRSE) , a network of more than 100 organisations supporting sex workers has published its demands to European . (aidsactioneurope.org)
- The report is a forensic examination of the impact of the 'Thai Suppression of Human Trafficking Act BE 2551 (2008) and associated policies and practices, on the human rights of sex workers in Thailand. (scarletalliance.org.au)
- But Indian Governments at all level have failed to protect, the human rights even civil rights of sex workers. (igi-global.com)
- Makes recommendations for change to the Criminal Code based on the available evidence and on the need to respect, protect and fulfil the health and human rights of sex workers. (cwhn.ca)
Protection for sex workers1
- The law turns a blind eye to these police abuses - but at the same time fails to ensure justice or protection for sex workers. (amnesty.org)
Criminalization of Sex Workers1
- The police also use the criminalization of sex workers to justify subjecting them to cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment, in some cases amounting to torture. (amnesty.org)
Abuse sex workers1
- Officers who abuse sex workers should be held accountable, and the government should close abusive detention centers like Prey Speu. (hrw.org)
Infection among sex1
- It is difficult to determine precisely the incidence of HIV infection among sex workers, or the prevalence of safer sex practices during commercial sex transactions. (thebody.com)
- A very candid pamphlet published by Manchester NHS and titled The Good Escort Guide cites other STIs (such as Hepatitis A and B), depression, general personal safety, and legal rights as considerations for every potential male escort before deciding to enter the sex worker industry. (telegraph.co.uk)
- With much lower access to health information and healthcare than the general population, sex workers are over five times more likely to contract HIV and face much higher risks of unwanted pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections (STIs). (msf.org.uk)
- We were emissaries of safer sex info-and we learned our examples and statistics to prove our case. (jhu.edu)
- In the meantime, we hope that sex workers take advantage of some of the tools other vulnerable communities have used to keep themselves safer from government oppression. (eff.org)
- Shannon said she thinks the study needs to lead to more discussions on what safer sex-worker spaces can look like and said talks have already included ideas like co-operative brothels. (huffingtonpost.ca)
Allowed unprotected sex1
- Establishments that allowed unprotected sex were shut down. (thebody.com)
- However, according to sex workers and sex worker advocates that we spoke with, police officers use these criminal laws to abuse their authority by arbitrarily detaining people or using the threat of prosecution to extort money and sexual services from sex workers. (amnesty.org)
- The sex workers and advocates I asked about 8 Minutes are also displeased with the prospect of pastor Brown parachuting into their profession. (thedailybeast.com)
- Advocates and community groups are calling on the province to drop plans to overhaul human trafficking legislation, saying a proposed bill has the potential to harm sex workers and could lead to discrimination and racial profiling. (thestar.com)
- Red Umbrella Project executive director Audacia Ray speaking to sex-worker advocates last year. (villagevoice.com)
- It covers problems of the sex workers and their children or child sex workers entered in sex trade by force & fraud but rescued from sex trade and advocates only claim of sex workers to live with dignity as they are also human being and have human rights. (igi-global.com)
- Britain counted about 72,000 sex workers -- 32,000 of them in London -- in 2016, according to a government report. (thejakartapost.com)
- A British television station broadcast video Monday apparently showing the head of the data analysis firm Cambridge Analytica, which worked for President Trump's 2016 campaign, talking about using bribes, traps involving sex workers and other unethical tactics to swing elections around the world. (pressherald.com)
- The risk of HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases is high among persons who exchange sex for money or nonmonetary items. (cdc.gov)
- Historically, sex workers have been blamed for transmitting sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV. (thebody.com)
- Sex is fun but involves health risks such as sexually transmitted diseases (STDs or unplanned pregnancy specially in those who have multiple partners or in those having unprotected sex. (medindia.net)
- In a phone interview with the Straight , Andrew Sorfleet of the Triple-X Workers' Solidarity Association of B.C. said that the Public Health Agency of Canada continues to say sex workers are disproportionately affected by sexually transmitted diseases and blood-borne illnesses. (straight.com)
- This month the government also announced moves to legalise brothels of up to three prostitutes working together, whilst stopping short of full decriminalisation of the sex industry and even promising new crackdowns on street prostitutes. (libcom.org)
Relationship between sex1
- It also comes amid the inquiry into serial killer Robert Pickton, which has heard the poor relationship between sex workers and police makes them reluctant to report abuse. (huffingtonpost.ca)
- This combination of people, sex and drugs really helps fuel the HIV epidemic. (ucsd.edu)
- IRIN: How mining and the military created an HIV epidemic in Indonesia's Papua "Gaining rare access into a region severely restricted to journalists, IRIN exposes how a rampant sex trade and inadequate HIV treatments are fueling a health crisis…" (Schulman, 11/21). (kff.org)
- However, Malawi has one of the world's highest rates of HIV, and while the country has made huge strides in fighting the epidemic, sex workers remain extremely exposed. (msf.org.uk)
- Sex Workers Anonymous is a twelve-step program support group for those wanting to leave the sex industry, or recover from its effects. (wikipedia.org)
- Arguably this show ignores the grim reality of trafficked women, but as so much of the discourse around the sex industry is taken up with those horrifying stories it's good to have a different conversation. (timeout.com)
- They are all people who are part of the sex industry -- sex workers and their clients. (thebody.com)
- A few years after my entrance into the sex industry in the early 2000s I learned the line "sex workers know how to take care of their health better than everyone else-the idea that sex workers spread disease is a media-based myth . (jhu.edu)
- She says she was encouraged by the power of the Internet to help young women who were working in difficult circumstances in the sex industry. (thedailybeast.com)
- Of course it may be difficult to empathize with workers in an industry whose job it is to immediately fulfill your desires as if they were their own. (bigthink.com)
- LONDON, March 8 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Women working as humanitarian workers across 80 countries have called for major reforms in the industry as a sex scandal centred on British charity Oxfam rocks the aid sector. (reuters.com)
- But he says he has set some goals for himself after three years in the sex industry here in Thai capital, where he has three to four customers a night. (ipsnews.net)
- And as Molly , an educator from Sex Worker Open University (SWOU), tells me in an e-mail, the "rescue industry" also refers to everything from New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristof's Cambodian brothel raids to the Liam Neeson vehicle Taken . (thedailybeast.com)
- The new research follows a damaging report from the respected Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) which found the majority of migrant workers in the UK sex industry were not forced or trafficked. (politics.co.uk)
- It also concluded that criminalising clients would not stop the sex industry and that it would be pushed underground, making it more difficult for migrants working in the UK sex industry to assert their rights in relation to both clients and employers. (politics.co.uk)
- New Orleans has a textured and macabre history when it comes to the sex industry, particularly regarding house moms-that hybrid of manager, referee and babysitter. (therumpus.net)
- Decriminalize the acts surrounding it, without making it a job industry, means there are still NO protections for front line sex workers job wise, as there are no regulations on the industry. (rabble.ca)
- I posted over here a few days back about the scourge of modern day human trafficking including the estimation that 2.2 million women and girls are SOLD into the sex industry every year - sometimes by their own families. (rabble.ca)
- I'm not sure how helpful it is to the conversation to group everyone in the sex industry as slaves because I fear that the "willing versus unwilling" argument would obscure the importance of fighting against human trafficking in all of its forms now, as a major priority (not that different battles can't be fought on different fronts simultaneously). (rabble.ca)
- Explains the role that poverty and tourism play in the sex industry. (cwhn.ca)
- Globally sex workers make up 9% of the total number of new HIV infections. (avert.org)
- As a leading light in defending human rights globally, Amnesty International could play a fundamental role in improving the lives and working conditions of sex workers by adopting a policy clearly stipulating that decriminalization is essential to human rights. (huffingtonpost.ca)
- This is really, extremely harmful," said Elene Lam from Butterfly (Asian and Migrant Sex Workers Support Network) at a Zoom news conference Tuesday. (thestar.com)
- Zi Teng, a Hong Kong-based group that offers support to hundreds of migrant sex workers from mainland China in the city said it hoped the report would raise international awareness of the issue. (straitstimes.com)
- She was referring to the international sex worker community, which has adopted the red umbrella as its symbol. (thebody.com)
Interviews with 752
- At the heart of the research were interviews with 75 women sex workers in Beijing, including 20 detailed interviews with women between the ages of 20 and 63. (hrw.org)
- The New York-based watchdog conducted studies between 2008 and 2012, mainly in the Chinese capital Beijing, including interviews with 75 sex workers. (straitstimes.com)
- Opera meets poetry, hip-hop, spoken word, folk and jazz, all of which are utilised by the cast - a mix of actual sex workers and professional actors - to tell their own stories, and those of sex workers around the world. (timeout.com)
- The term "people who exchange sex for money or nonmonetary items" (hereinafter referred to as "people who exchange sex") includes a broad range of persons who trade sex for income or other items including food, drugs, medicine, and shelter. (cdc.gov)
- For example, provisions like the one outlawing "solicitation" make it possible for corrupt police officers to harass nearly all sex workers who ply their trade, without facing prosecution. (hrw.org)
- Launched in partnership with DDB Mudra Group and NGO Prerana, Project Free Period stems from the idea that while several women often dread their period days, for those in the sex trade, it earmarks the time of the month that they get for themselves. (prnewswire.com)
- The sex trade still doesn't sit as well with Dutch society as they would like. (newsbusters.org)
- However, the issue of legalizing and regulating the sex trade remains conspicuously off limits for our legislators. (counterpunch.org)
- Sex trade & menstruation both are strong issues & taboos generally people don't want to talk about it. (change.org)
- Vietnamese women vanished from the sex trade a couple of years ago when Hong Kong's government restricted them to just seven days - too little time to earn back the air fare. (rawstory.com)
- Trade and travel between ASEAN and China have increased in recent years, and this rapid growth and development has made Guangxi a major focus for the movement of a mobile population comprising traders, transportation workers and tourists. (plos.org)
- But this paper does not advocate demand of sex workers to encourage sex trade by any way. (igi-global.com)
- That's because the draft guidelines stated that sex-trade workers were at "significant risk" as a source of transmissible HIV. (straight.com)
- Rubin argues that anti-pornography laws could negatively harm sexual minorities such as gays/lesbians, sex workers, and feminists because they would create new problems and modes of abuse resulting from the anti-pornography side's use of a limited amount of porn that demonstrates the most extreme cases of violence such as sadomasochism. (wikipedia.org)
- In general, sex workers have comparatively high numbers of sexual partners compared with the general population. (avert.org)
- In Vienna, where sex workers are registered and regularly screened for various STDs , the few found to be HIV positive reported that they were IV drug users or had sexual partners who were. (thebody.com)
- This narrative requires that there is only one kind of sex worker: a person who has the opportunity to prioritize their sexual health while working, but I knew that there are many who did not. (jhu.edu)
- As Amnesty International details in its report , sex workers are amongst some of the most marginalized and vulnerable citizens in this Pacific island nation experiencing high levels of sexual and gender-based violence, and gender inequality. (amnesty.org)
- This discourages sex workers from seeking sexual and reproductive health services and information, and leaves some too afraid to go to HIV clinics. (amnesty.org)
- Local sex workers can call the toll-free number 1-855-4KELLYS (1-855-453-5597) to report sexual and physical assault without revealing their identity, Case Manager Lauren Hickman explained. (mountainx.com)
- Safety line: Lauren Hickman (left) and Sarah Danforth (right) of the Asheville Sex Worker Outreach Project helped organize "Kelly's Line," an anonymous phone number sex workers can call to report sexual and physical assault. (mountainx.com)
- The company did 'sex texting' - basically people would text sexual messages in to you (which you recieved on a computer, in a chat room type interface), and you would respond - the messages going directly to their mobiles. (libcom.org)
- Live Action is sending full footage to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, NJ Attorney General Paula Dow, officials at the Federal Bureau of Investigations, and other law enforcement officials, requesting federal and state investigations into Planned Parenthood's sexual abuse and sex trafficking cover up. (vibe.com)
- This was the very first time I was given information on issues like HIV testing and sexual health," says Bernadette, after Emily - an MSF community health worker - gave her a health education session at the bar where Bernadette lives and works. (msf.org.uk)
- The Triple-X Solidarity Workers' Association of B.C. wants the Public Health Agency of Canada to endorse decriminalization of the sale of sexual services. (straight.com)
- Hello doctor, I have been in Thailand recently and, after a stupidly drunken night, had unprotected vaginal sex with a thai sex worker :( It was about 2-3 weeks ago and since then i have developed flu like symptoms, runny nose, sore throat, feeling pretty tired/lathargic. (medhelp.org)
- And when a woman has HIV, the average risk of transmission through a single episode of unprotected vaginal sex is around 1 in 2000. (medhelp.org)
- It is much more important that vaginal sex is an inherently inefficient transmission mechansism and that HIV is now uncommon in most Thai sex workers. (medhelp.org)
- Throughout this devised, vignette-based show the message is clear: these sex workers want 'rights not rescue' and for people to listen to them rather than speaking for them. (timeout.com)
- The Sex Workers' Opera' takes these tropes and slaps them round the face with a PVC glove - here the stories are about real people. (timeout.com)
- It is important for people who exchange sex to get tested for HIV regularly and know their status. (cdc.gov)
- Plenty of people - other sex workers and motorcycle taxi drivers - witnessed the attack, but they feared police retaliation if they came forward. (hrw.org)
- In a parking lot of the local high school, in the backseat of a car, two young people, high on dope, are removing one after finishing sex. (thebody.com)
- Despite the truth of these arguments, I was minimizing the diversity of experience of sex workers and trading the right of people to obtain health care regardless of their behavior or their impact on "civil society" to a simple, easy to digest narrative. (jhu.edu)
- And a lot of people, including sex workers, are not pleased. (rabble.ca)
- Despite an approaching easing of Britain's lockdown, uncertainty about how willing people will be to go back to their old habits in a world filled with a new, dangerous disease leaves sex workers apprehensive. (independent.co.ug)
- But now a petition has been launched to change the law and adopt the so-called 'Nordic model' of Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Northern Ireland and France that makes it an offense for people to buy the services of sex workers. (freethoughtblogs.com)
- To do this we need to focus attention on the people who buy sex so that they'll think twice about who they are buying sex from. (politics.co.uk)
- Sandra Ka Hon Chu, a member of the HIV Legal Network and one of the people scheduled to depute against the bill, said these types of government initiatives usually involve surveillance, interrogation and sometimes detention and/or deportation of sex workers. (thestar.com)
- At the release of Uganda's new HIV strategy, The Presidential Fast-Track Initiative , Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni called on all men to test for HIV and learn their status - but failed to acknowledge gay men, sex workers and people who use drugs who are the populations most at risk. (avert.org)
- Ironically, puritanical ideas about what counts as sex actually hinders those very same puritans' efforts to punish people for selling it. (cracked.com)
- While soldiers in the military are "stuck" until their term ends and many workers face bitter consequences if they leave their jobs, I don't see that the same way as the outright buying and selling of people. (rabble.ca)
- On a good night, she will sell sex to several men and head home just before dawn with at least 2,000 Kenya shillings - about US $ 20. (theglobalfund.org)
- She said that police often try to entrap sex workers into agreeing to illegal services such as condomless sex, and this may now worsen for marginalised groups including low-income sex workers and trans sex workers who relied on Backpage. (starobserver.com.au)