Encyclopedias as Topic
Medicine in Literature
Dictionaries as Topic
Advertising as Topic
Cartoons as Topic
Motion Pictures as Topic
Adipose Tissue, Brown
Ultrastructural distribution of a MAP kinase and transcripts in quiescent and cycling plant cells and pollen grains. (1/295)Mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAPKs) are components of a kinase module that plays a central role in the transduction of diverse extracellular stimuli, including mitogens, specific differentiation and developmental signals and stress treatments. This shows that reversible protein phosphorylation cascades play a pivotal role in signal transduction in animal cells and yeast, particularly the entry into mitosis of arrested cells. Homologues of MAPKs have been found and cloned in various plant species, but there have been no data about their in situ localization at the subcellular level and their expression in plant cells so far. In the present paper we report the first data on the ultrastructural in situ localization of MAPK and their mRNAs in various plant cells. Proliferating and quiescent meristematic plant cells were studied to evaluate whether changes in MAPK presence, distribution and expression accompany the entry into proliferation of dormant cells. Moreover, MAPK localization was analyzed in vacuolate microspores. Polyclonal antibodies against the deduced MAPK from the tobacco Ntf6 clone were able to recognize homologue epitopes by immunocytochemical techniques in the cell types studied. The pattern of protein distribution is similar in all the cases studied: it is localized in the cytoplasm and in the nucleus, mainly in the interchromatin region. The quantitative study of the density showed that MAPK labelling is more abundant in cycling than in quiescent cells, also suggesting that, in plants, MAPK pathways might play a role in cell proliferation. RNA probes for conserved regions of the catalytic domain of plant MAPK homologue genes were used to study MAPK expression in those plant cells. In situ hybridization (ISH) showed the presence of MAPK transcripts in the three plant cell types studied, but levels were very low in quiescent cells compared to those in cycling cells. The quantification of labelling density of ISH signals strongly suggests a higher level of MAPK expression in proliferating cells, but also some basal messenger presence and/or expression in the quiescent ones. Immunogold and ISH results show the presence and distribution of MAPK proteins and mRNAs in vacuolate microspores. This represents a very dynamic stage during pollen development in which the cell nucleus is being prepared for an asymmetrical mitotic division, giving rise to both the generative and the vegetative nuclei of the bicellular pollen grain. Taken together, the data indicate a role played by MAPK in the re-entry into proliferation in plant cells. (+info)
Photomophogenesis: Phytochrome takes a partner! (2/295)How light signals are transduced by phytochromes is still poorly understood. Recent studies have provided evidence that a PAS domain protein, PIF3, physically interacts with phytochromes, plays a role in phytochrome signal transduction and might be a component of a novel signalling pathway in plants. (+info)
Reduced glutathione accelerates the oxidative damage produced by sodium n-propylthiosulfate, one of the causative agents of onion-induced hemolytic anemia in dogs. (3/295)The oxidative effects of sodium n-propylthiosulfate, one of the causative agents of onion-induced hemolytic anemia in dogs, were investigated in vitro using three types of canine erythrocytes, which are differentiated by the concentration of reduced glutathione and the composition of intracellular cations. After incubation with sodium n-propylthiosulfate, the methemoglobin concentration and Heinz body count in all three types of erythrocytes increased and a decrease in the erythrocyte reduced glutathione concentration was then observed. The erythrocytes containing high concentrations of potassium and reduced glutathione (approximately five times the normal values) were more susceptible to oxidative damage by sodium n-propylthiosulfate than were the normal canine erythrocytes. The susceptibility of the erythrocytes containing high potassium and normal reduced glutathione concentrations was intermediate between those of erythrocytes containing high concentrations of potassium and reduced glutathione and normal canine erythrocytes. In addition, the depletion of erythrocyte reduced glutathione by 1-chloro-2, 4-dinitrobenzene resulted in a marked decrease in the oxidative injury induced by sodium n-propylthiosulfate in erythrocytes containing high concentrations of potassium and reduced glutathione. The generation of superoxide in erythrocytes containing high concentrations of potassium and reduced glutathione was 4.1 times higher than that in normal canine erythrocytes when the cells were incubated with sodium n-propylthiosulfate. These observations indicate that erythrocyte reduced glutathione, which is known as an antioxidant, accelerates the oxidative damage produced by sodium n-propylthiosulfate. (+info)
Rumen bacteria are involved in the onset of onion-induced hemolytic anemia in sheep. (4/295)The mechanism of onion-induced hemolytic anemia in ruminants was investigated. The ether-extract obtained from the mixture of rumen fluid and onion juice incubated at 38.5 degrees C for 9 hr induced oxidative damage in sheep erythrocytes in vitro, indicating the production of certain oxidants in the mixture. The increase of the oxidative effect in the mixture was inhibited completely by the removal of rumen microorganisms and partly by treatment with antibiotics and by oxygen gas. The sheep fed onions (50 g/kg body weight/day) for 15 days developed more severe Heinz body hemolytic anemia than did the sheep fed the equivalent amount of onions with 5 g/day ampicillin sodium salt. The results indicated that certain rumen bacteria appear to be involved in the onset of onion-induced hemolytic anemia in sheep. (+info)
Evidence for functional conservation of a mammalian homologue of the light-responsive plant protein COP1. (5/295)Identified in Arabidopsis as a repressor of light-regulated development, the COP1 (constitutively photomorphogenic 1) protein is characterized by a RING-finger motif and a WD40 repeat domain . The subcellular localization of COP1 is light-dependent. COP1 acts within the nucleus to repress photomorphogenic development, but light inactivates COP1 and diminishes its nuclear abundance . Here, we report the identification of a mammalian COP1 homologue that contains all the structural features present in Arabidopsis COP1 (AtCOP1). When expressed in plant cells, a fusion protein comprising mammalian COP1 and beta-glucuronidase (GUS) responded to light by changing its subcellular localization pattern in a manner similar to AtCOP1. Whereas the mammalian COP1 was unable to rescue the defects of Arabidopsis cop1 mutants, expression of the amino-terminal half of mammalian COP1 in Arabidopsis interfered with endogenous COP1 function, resulting in a hyperphotomorphogenic phenotype. Therefore, the regulatory modules in COP1 proteins that are responsible for the signal-dependent subcellular localization are functionally conserved between higher plants and mammals, suggesting that mammalian COP1 may share a common mode of action with its plant counterpart in regulating development and cellular signaling. (+info)
Specific interactions with TBP and TFIIB in vitro suggest that 14-3-3 proteins may participate in the regulation of transcription when part of a DNA binding complex. (6/295)The 14-3-3 family of multifunctional proteins is highly conserved among animals, plants, and yeast. Several studies have shown that these proteins are associated with a G-box DNA binding complex and are present in the nucleus in several plant and animal species. In this study, 14-3-3 proteins are shown to bind the TATA box binding protein (TBP), transcription factor IIB (TFIIB), and the human TBP-associated factor hTAF(II)32 in vitro but not hTAF(II)55. The interactions with TBP and TFIIB were highly specific, requiring amino acid residues in the box 1 domain of the 14-3-3 protein. These interactions do not require formation of the 14-3-3 dimer and are not dependent on known 14-3-3 recognition motifs containing phosphoserine. The 14-3-3-TFIIB interaction appears to occur within the same domain of TFIIB that binds the human herpes simplex virus transcriptional activator VP16, because VP16 and 14-3-3 were able to compete for interaction with TFIIB in vitro. In a plant transient expression system, 14-3-3 was able to activate GAL4-dependent beta-glucuronidase reporter gene expression at low levels when translationally fused with the GAL4 DNA binding domain. The in vitro binding with general transcription factors TBP and TFIIB together with its nuclear location provide evidence supporting a role for 14-3-3 proteins as transcriptional activators or coactivators when part of a DNA binding complex. (+info)
An Arabidopsis cDNA encoding a DNA-binding protein that is highly similar to the DEAH family of RNA/DNA helicase genes. (7/295)A cDNA encoding a putative RNA and/or DNA helicase has been isolated from Arabidopsis thaliana cDNA libraries. The cloned cDNA is 5166 bases long, and its largest open reading frame encodes 1538 amino acids. The central region of the predicted protein is homologous to a group of nucleic acid helicases from the DEAD/H family. However, the N- and C-terminal regions of the Arabidopsis cDNA product are distinct from these animal DEIH proteins. We have found that the C-terminal region contains three characteristic sequences: (i) two DNA-binding segments that form a probe helix (PH) involved in DNA recognition; (ii) an SV40-type nuclear localization signal; and (iii) 11 novel tandem-repeat sequences each consisting of about 28 amino acids. We have designated this cDNA as NIH (nuclear DEIH-boxhelicase). Functional character-ization of a recombinant fusion product containing the repeated region indicates that NIH may form homodimers, and that this is the active form in solution. Based on this information and the observation that the sequence homology is limited to the DEAH regions, we conclude that the biological roles of the plant helicase NIH differ from those of the animal DEIH family. (+info)
Fungal corneal ulcers of onion harvesters in southern Taiwan. (8/295)Fungal corneal ulcers related to agriculture has been reported throughout the world, especially in tropical areas. Most of them were sporadic and had histories of ocular trauma or use of topical corticosteroids and topical antibiotics. Five onion harvesters had fungal corneal ulcers during the same harvest period in Southern Taiwan. The authors think that this is the first report of a group occurrence relating to agricultural workers. Although all of the patients improved after medical and surgical management, their vision was greatly decreased. It is suggested that the tropical climate, the harvest procedure, the characteristic monsoon, and lack of eye protection were involved. Therefore, the importance of the eye protection, hygiene education, and improving medical care to reduce the occurrence of fungal corneal ulcer in agriculture workers must be emphasised. (+info)
Modification of maximum residue levels for cyazofamid in hops, globe artichokes, leeks and spring/green onions and Welsh onions...
In accordance with Article 6 of Regulation (EC) No 396/2005, the evaluating Member State (EMS), Belgium, received an application from ISK Biosciences Europe N.V. to modify the existing maximum residue levels (MRLs) for the active substance cyazofamid in hops, globe artichokes, leeks and spring onions/green onions and Welsh onions. In order to accommodate for the intended uses of cyazofamid, Belgium proposed to set the MRL at 0.4 mg/kg for leeks and spring onions/green onions and Welsh onions, at 0.15 mg/kg for globe artichokes and at 20 mg/kg for hops. Belgium drafted an evaluation report in accordance with Article 8 of Regulation (EC) No 396/2005, which was submitted to the European Commission (EC) and forwarded to EFSA. According to EFSA the data are sufficient to derive a MRL of 0.4 mg/kg for spring onions/green onions and Welsh onions and a MRL of 20 mg/kg for hops. An amendment of the MRL is not proposed for globe artichokes and leeks as long as the toxicity of metabolite CCIM observed as ...
Fresh Red Onion,Yellow Onion,Egypt Onion To Pakistan - Buy Egypt Onion,Onions,Red Onion Product on Alibaba.com
Fresh Red Onion,Yellow Onion,Egypt Onion To Pakistan , Find Complete Details about Fresh Red Onion,Yellow Onion,Egypt Onion To Pakistan,Egypt Onion,Onions,Red Onion from Supplier or Manufacturer-PORT SAID EXPRESS
Plant. Its onion planting time. Onion starts and onion sets are at the garden centers now. Plant them 1″ deep and too close, thinning them out to use as green onions, spacing about 4″ apart. Choose a full sun area with well-worked soil.. Spacing depends on the variety of onion. Generally, planting to 3″ - 4″ inches apart for green onions and thinning to at least 5-6 inches apart for large bulbing onions. Proper spacing will affect the size of the mature onion.. Weed and water. Onions have every shallow roots, so dont let them dry out. Keep onion patch weeded. Do not make them compete for nutrients in the soil with weeds. When the onion tops start falling over, stop watering. Allow the soil to dry and more of the tops fall over.. Harvest. Wait for most of the onions to fall over. You can bend the stems of any remaining upright plants, signaling the plants to enter dormancy.. At this point, stop watering and leave the onions in the ground for 7 to 14 days (depending on how dry or humid ...
Onion juice - A preventive care of hair loss - Story of art
The scientific name of non-scarring hair loss condition is called as Alopecia areata. Onion Juice for Hair Loss and greying Hair is an effective medication and it works in a little long term like month or two months. Current therapeutic options for Alopecia areata are limited, and there is no effective prevention for recurrent hair loss.. Onion juice helps by providing nourishment and circulation to the hair follicles. It also kills germs, parasites, and is helpful in treating some fungi infections, all of which can aid in prevention of hair loss. So onions are also effect in treating some minor fungal infection in scalp, dry or itchy scalp.. One study from the Journal of Dermatology found that just after four weeks of using onion juice, 74% of individuals with alopecia areata experienced significant hair regrowth. Within six weeks of using onion juice, 84% of the individuals were reported to have hair regrowth.. ...
7 Great Benefits of Onions - Nutrition & Health Hub
Onion belongs to the lily group of plants. The other members of this group include leeks, shallots, garlic, etc. There are over 500 species of onion such as yellow onion, green onion, white onion and much more. Each kind of variety has its own unique taste and flavor, ranging from very strong to slightly sweet.. Not only is onion being used for centuries especially in the east to add flavor to foods, but is also known for its ornamental, therapeutic and medicinal effects.. Onion contains sulfides, thiosulfonates, and sulfoxides, which produce the eye-irritating results. The thiosulfonates exhibit anti-microbial qualities that make onion quite efficient at treating infections caused by E.coli, Salmonella and Bacillus subtilis.. Studies have demonstrated that onion is quite useful in avoiding coronary artery disease and cholesterol-reducing levels. The sulfides in onion help lower blood pressure levels and fats as well. Moreover, onion makes an excellent organic dietary source of flavonoids, which ...
Grilling the onion an ancient tradition updated
When buying the bulb onions look for firm bulbs without much of a scent and try not buy any that have cuts or bruises. Store them in a cool dark and dry place that has plenty of air circulation.. Green onions should have crisp, bright green stalks and small firm bulbs with the root end intact. Green onions can be stored in a cloth bag in the refrigerator for a little over a week. If you buy green onions from the farmers market, you will find that many vendors will keep the roots intact. This preserves the onions health and flavor. Green onions with the root can be kept in a bowl or jar that has enough water in the bottom to submerge just the roots. Then you can snip off the green parts, as you need them. The onion will continue to grow as long as the water is kept fresh. You can even plant the root again in soil and new green onions will grow. When cutting a bulb onion keep the root intact and the cut side on the cutting board and fewer tears will fall. Onions are always best used fresh. Once ...
Red onion helps prevent Heart Disease | INDIA TRIBUNE
The humble red onion, commonly used in Indian and Mediterranean cuisine, can help prevent heart disease, scientists have claimed. Researchers at the Chinese University in Hong Kong found that red onion helps remove bad cholesterol from the body which is responsible for heart attacks and strokes. It also retains the bodys good cholesterol that in turn helps protect against heart disease, they said. Zhen Yu Chen, who led the research, said: Despite extensive research on onions, little is known of how their consumption interacts with human genes and proteins involved in cholesterol metabolism within the body. Our study was, therefore, undertaken to characterize the interaction of onions with enzymes in an attempt to explore the underlying cholesterol-lowering mechanism, Zhen was quoted as saying by the Daily Mail. This study is the first of its kind to investigate the interaction of red onions with biological functions. For their study, the scientists fed crushed-up red onions to hamsters, ...
Ad White Onion Slice in Mumbai, Ad White Onion Slice Products, Ad White Onion Slice Suppliers in Mumbai, Ad White Onion Slice...
Ad White Onion Slice in Mumbai, Ad White Onion Slice Products, Ad White Onion Slice Suppliers in Mumbai, Ad White Onion Slice Manufacturers in Mumbai - Mumbai Yellow Pages Online. Looking for Ad White Onion Slice in Mumbai, Ad White Onion Slice Products, Ad White Onion Slice Suppliers in Mumbai, Ad White Onion Slice Manufacturers in Mumbai - Mumbai Yellow Pages Online? Get Suppliers / Manufacturers / Retailers Company List in Mumbai, Maharashtra India
Ad White Onion Slice in Pune, Ad White Onion Slice Products, Ad White Onion Slice Suppliers in Pune, Ad White Onion Slice...
Ad White Onion Slice in Pune, Ad White Onion Slice Products, Ad White Onion Slice Suppliers in Pune, Ad White Onion Slice Manufacturers in Pune - Pune Yellow Pages Online. Looking for Ad White Onion Slice in Pune, Ad White Onion Slice Products, Ad White Onion Slice Suppliers in Pune, Ad White Onion Slice Manufacturers in Pune - Pune Yellow Pages Online? Get Suppliers / Manufacturers / Retailers Company List in Pune, Maharashtra India
Gourmet Grub Bison Burger with Red Onion Relish - National Onion Association
For Red Onion Relish: In medium sauce pot, combine onions, shallot, garlic and oil. Sauté over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. When onions start to soften, turn the heat down. Stir frequently until onions are completely softened. Add brown sugar, wine, vinegar, salt and pepper. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer you have reached the desired spreadable consistency. Red Onion Relish may be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.. For Burgers: Season and grill the bison patties to desired temperature then flatten out cream cheese to fit the patty and place on top to warm. Butter and toast the buns.. To serve, spread Red Onion Relish and Smoked Tomato Chutney on top and bottom portions of the toasted buns. Place burgers on bottom buns and top with Jalapeno slices and top buns.. ...
The effects of different musical elements on root growth and mitosis in onion (Allium cepa) root apical meristem (musical and...
In this study effects of strong, complex, rhythmic accent classical music with sekunda and kvarta intervals and frequently reprized and opus with rhythmic dynamically changing lyrics which contain more extensive kvinta septa oktava intervals on mitotic index and root growth were investigated in onion (Allium cepa) root tip cells during germination. For this aim, music samples from Wagner, Mozart, Musorgsky, (Boris Godunov) Chopin, Tchaikovski, Schubert were chosen. We found correlation between root elongation and Mitotic Index (MI). Both kinds of music have positive effects on root growth and mitotic divisions in onion root tip cells but rhythmic dynamically changing lyrics affected much better. In this study light microscopy techniques were used but ultrastructure of root tip cells will be studied with electron microscope in the following study. © 2007 Asian Network for Scientific Information ...
Onion Juice Benefits and Uses for Skin, Hair and Health - Stylish Walks
Onion is a member of lily family and an important ingredient in any of the dish you make. It is full of nutritive values and is widely used for treating hair fall, fever, infertility, pigmentation, insomnia and so on. If you have a bleeding nose, cut a piece of onion and smell it. This will stop bleeding immediately. Having a glass of onion juice in the morning on an empty stomach is very beneficial. You can have a glass of water to which honey is mixed to sooth the burning sensation you feel in the throat after drinking onion juice. Take care not to eat or drink anything for at least one hour after you drink onion juice. ...
Sweet Onion Sets
Onions are cool-season vegetables that grow best in moist, cool soils. Celery - Leaf; the part we eat is an enlarged petiole (the stem of the leaf). Storing these guys is different than a regular yellow onion though, they need some special handling if you want to. also distributor of erme onion and garlic equipment. Eric (the gentleman who had the fourth plot before me) always grew a really good crop of watercress in a great big black pot, so last year I decided to give it a try and it worked really well. These super-hardy plants can survive incredibly cold temperatures with a little protection, and provide quality bulbs even after they bolt in the spring. Growing onions from sets is one of the easiest and most dependable ways for the home gardener to grow either small green salad onions or large storage onions. Onion Seeds and Sets. The Bermuda onions are flat topped, sweet and succulent with white or yellowish skin. Sweet Onion Sets (Walla Walla, 10 Bulbs) ASR. Growing onions sets Sets are ...
Benefits of Eating Onion | Bento-Brigade
Raw onion, which is eaten as a salad with food, is very good for our health. Sandwich, salad or lick, onion doubles the taste of everyone. If you fear that eating onions will cause stink, then after eating eat a fresh freshener or brush, but eat the onions. Diet experts believe it is very useful in removing sexual impairment. Onion is a cheap and accessible option for the promotion and conservation of sexual power. Let us now tell you about some of the similar uses and qualities of onion that you can get rid of many problems.. Nutrients found in 100 grams of onions Protein 1.2 g carbohydrate 11.1 Vitamin 15 mg. Fat 0.1 g calcium 46.9 mg Vitamin 11 mg. Mineral 0.4 g phosphorus 50 mg Calories 50 mg. Fiber 0.6 g iron 0.7 mg Water 86.6 g. 1. Remove constipation. Fibers present on the onion are very beneficial for the stomach. Constipation is removed by eating onions. If you are suffering from constipation then start eating raw onion everyday.. 2. Erase the sore throat. If you are suffering from ...
HON - News : Why Chopping Onions Makes You Cry
WEDNESDAY, July 5, 2017 (HealthDay News) -- Ever wonder why your eyes fill with tears when you chop an onion?. One eye doctor pinpoints the culprit.. Onions use sulfur in the soil to create amino acid sulfoxides, which are sulfur compounds that readily turn into a gas. When an onion is cut open, it releases the sulfoxides and enzymes, which react and create a gas called syn-propanethial-S-oxide.. Because onions grow underground, this gas helps deter critters that want to feed on them. But the gas is also what causes your eyes to water when chopping onions, said Dr. Robert Rosa Jr., an ophthalmologist at the Texas A&M College of Medicine.. It really is a complicated chemical process that creates the gas, said Rosa. They all act as precursors that create the lachrymatory processor -- or what makes you tear up.. White, yellow and red onions all have higher concentrations of the onion enzyme necessary to create this gas, while sweet onions, green onions and scallions have lower concentrations. ...
Effect of onion (Allium cepa L.) as an antibiotic growth promoter substitution on performance, immune responses and serum...
This experiment was conducted to evaluate the effect of onion (Allium cepa L.) as an antibiotic growth promoter substitute on growth performance, immune responses and serum biochemistry in broilers. A total of 192 one-d-old as hatched broiler chicks (Ross 308) were weighed and randomly allocated to four treatment groups, each with 4 replicate pens of 12 chicks. The dietary treatments consisted of the basal diet (control), antibiotic (15 mg Virginiamycin/kg), and control +10 or 30 g fresh onion bulb/kg diet. Body weights of broilers were determined at d 1, 21 and 42, feed intake was determined at the same periods, and feed conversion ratio was calculated accordingly. At 14th and 21st days blood samples were taken for measuring antibody titers against NDV and at 42nd day for biochemical analysis. At d 42, two birds per replicate were slaughtered for determination of lymphoid organ weights. Dietary supplementation of30 g/kg onion increased final body weight of broilers at 42nd d of age
White onion - Wikipedia
White onion (Allium cepa, sweet onion) is a cultivar of dry onion, that has a pure white papery skin and a sweet, mild white flesh. Similar to red onions, due to the high sugar content, they have a short shelf life, lasting up to 2 days, or if refrigerated, they can last up to a month. This onion is used in Mexican foods or complementing the flavors of other ingredients. The onion can be sautéed to a dark brown color and served to provide a sweet and sour flavor to other foods. Small white onions used in soups, casseroles or stews, they are known as boiler onions. They can also be added to salads. Known sweet white varieties include; Walla Walla, Vidalia and Mauri. White storage onion types include; White Wing and Sierra Blanca. ...
Under what conditions do onions make you cry the least? by karla lerma on Prezi
my hypothesis was right ,the frozen onion made me cry less then the rest.the one that made me cry the most was the onion put in whater.my questions that wasnt answered by non of the articles i read was why did the frozen onion make me cry the less?. I think one thing that could have affected my data or analysis could had been that i did my testes one after another.The answer to my question is the frozen onion made me cry the least out of the rest. One of my conclusions is that the reason the whole onion made me cry was because it was plain it was just as chopping a normal onion and the syn-propanethial-S-oxide gas that came up irritated my eyes and thats why they would cry. My second conclusion was that the frozen onion did something to one of the compounds in the onion to reduce the tendency. My results could be used in the real world to stop from crying when cooking with onions ...
Optimisation of histamine reduction in kawakawa (Euthynnus Affinis) by red onion extract using Response Surface Methodology ...
The purpose of this study was to optimise the histamine reduction in kawakawa by red onion extract using Response Surface Methodology (RSM) of MINITAB Software (Version 14). Experimental design was created by RSM whereby test variables; amount of red onion extract (%), storage temperature (°C) and storage time (hours) were used. Half part of flesh kawakawa were blended and mixed thoroughly in different amounts of red onion extract and treated differently in terms of storage temperature and storage time as suggested by the experimental design of RSM. The histamine was extract by using n-butanol and 0.1M of HC1. Histamine analysis was carried out according to AOAC Flourometric Method, 1990 and measured using Flourosence at an excitation wavelength of 350 nm and emission wavelength of 444 nm. Histamine content in treated kawakawa was reduced by 75.85% at the optimum condition; 93.6% of red onion extract, -1.4 °C of storage temperature and 15.82 hours of storage time. In addition, the significant ...
California firms recall green onions fearing bacteria
SALINAS - Two California produce shippers have recalled thousands of cases of green onions over fears they could be contaminated with salmonella. U.S. Department of Agriculture inspectors found salmonella in a routine test of green onions taken in New York last month. Officials notified the shipper, Salinas-based Steinbeck Country Produce, and on Aug. 28, the company issued a voluntary recall for 3,360 cartons of iceless green onions. A Steinbeck spokesman says the company bought the onions from Circle Produce, a Calexico-based company supplied by an onion farm in Mexicali, Mexico. Castroville-based shipper Ocean Mist Farms recalled 1,746 cases of its green onions as well, after realizing they came from the same lot. No illnesses have been reported. ...
Understanding the mechanisms behind onion bulb dormancy in relation to the potential for improved onion storage - OpenThesis
Onion (Allium cepa L.) is the most economically important Allium crop. Onion cultivars adapted for growth in temperate regions require long days for bulb initiation, so the summer crop is stored over-winter. Deterioration in store is largely due to resumption of growth. Extended storage of onions is currently dependent on the synthetic sprout suppressant maleic hydrazide, whose future use is uncertain due to pressure to reduce residues in foods. Abscisic acid (ABA) has previously been linked with dormancy in a relative of onion (A. wakegi). Bulb ABA concentration in three onion cultivars (viz. Renate, Ailsa Craig and SS1) with contrasting storage lives declined exponentially during controlled atmosphere (CA - 3% CO2, 5% O2; 2°C) storage at the same rate in each cultivar. Sprouting occurred at a minimal ABA concentration (ca. 50-120 ng g-1 DW). It was proposed that extended periods of high concentrations of ABA may delay sprouting. An ABA analogue (PBI-365) and exogenous ABA, were applied as ...
Home Fresh Organics - Organic Bulk Onions Red Salad - 10Kg - AWSNEW
Product Description: Onion Red Salad, sometimes called purple onions, are cultivars of the onion with purplish red skin and white flesh tinged with red.. These onions tend to be medium to large in size and have a mild to sweet flavor. They are often consumed with raw fish , added for color to salads, and grilled or lightly cooked with other foods. They may lose their redness when cooked.. Onion Red Salad are available throughout the year. The red color comes from anthocyanidins such as cyanidin. Red onions are high in flavonoids.. Onion Red Salad can be stored 3 to 4 months at room temperature.. Ingredients: Onion. Nutrition Information: SERVING SIZE: 160g. ...
HEALTH BENEFITS OF ONION(Allium cepa) - Nature and Health
Onion can be prepared in so many ways. The onion syrup is prepared by boiling several sliced onions with some water, honey and sugar. This form when taken by a spoonful is good for respiratory cases. Also it can be grilled or boiled and in this way lose its acid and sour taste. This makes the onion more consumable in large quantities because it will now be well tolerated by the stomach. If cooked in water, the broth is to be drunk but if grilled two or three onions is recommended a day with their broth. If you mix the juice extract of onion with sugar, it is an ideal remedy for bleeding piles. Onion is also good for indigestion and biliousness. ...
The 8 Best Onion Powder Substitutes - PepperFool
Trust us, the taste will never be the same even if they are substitutes for each other. Why is that? Simply because of the dehydration process. While fresh onions are around 89% water, powdered onions, do not have the moisture as most of their microbes are extracted, which is why they last longer than the fresh ones. Also, the lack of moisture can prove to be favorable as onion powder will not make your dish moist, which is ideal if your recipe calls for more dry than liquid ingredients. Note that due to their dryness, onion powders tend to burn quickly. So be careful when you put them on your wok.. Additionally, your dishes texture will vary dramatically if you choose to use onion powder instead of chopped, fresh onions. Fresh onions mean more than just for flavor. They provide texture, crispness, a silky softness when they are caramelized, which onions powders wont provide. And as they are packed with moisture, they will also add an extra level of moisture to your dish.. Nonetheless, if you ...
roasted stuffed onions - smitten kitchen
1 1/4 cups turkey giblet stock. Make onion shells: Cut a 1/2-inch-thick slice from tops of onions, discarding tops, and trim just enough from bottoms for onions to stand upright. Scoop out all but outer 2 or 3 layers from each using a small ice cream scoop or spoon (dont worry if you make a hole in the bottom), reserving scooped-out onion and onion shells separately. Make stuffing: Coarsely chop enough scooped-out onion to measure 3 cups. Cook bacon in 2 batches in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until crisp, about 10 minutes, then transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain, reserving about 1/3 cup fat in skillet. Add chopped onion, celery, salt, and pepper to skillet and sautÃƒÂ© over moderately high heat, stirring, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sautÃƒÂ©, stirring, 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and stir in spinach, bread, cashews, butter, 1 cup stock, and bacon, then cool completely. Roast onions: Preheat ...
Nibble...by Kai Chase: Onions Absorb...
I contacted pneumonia and needless to say I was very ill... I came across an article that said to cut both ends off an onion put it into an empty jar.....placing the jar next to the sick patient at night. It said the onion would be black in the morning from the germs.... Sure enough it happened just like that.... The onion was a mess, and I began to feel better. Onions and garlic placed around the room saved many from the black plague years ago. The plague killed over 20 million people. Onions have powerful antibacterial, antiseptic properties. This is the other note, lots of times when we have stomach problems we dont know what to blame. Maybe its the onions that are to blame. Onions absorb bacteria and is the reason they are so good at preventing us from getting colds and flus and is the very reason we shouldnt eat an onion that has been sitting for a time after it has been cut open ...
Cooking With Onions: Names for your onions | Tor Blog
Idea 2.2) Browser extension + New pseudo-tld + Remote onion registries. A more dynamic alternative here involves multiple trusted remote onion registries that the user can add to their torrc. Imagine a web-of-trust based system where you add your friends Alice onion registry and then you can visit facebook using facebook.alice.onion.. A similar more decentralized alternative could be a browser addon that uses multiple remote onion registries/notaries to resolve a name, employing a majority or supermajority rule to decide the resolution results. Such a system could involve notary nodes similar to SSL schemes like Convergence.. Idea 2.3) Browser extension redirects existing DNS names. An easier but less effective approach would be for the browser extension to only map DNS domain names to onion names. So for example, it would map duckduckgo.com to 3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion. That makes the job of the name registrar easier, but it also heavily restricts users only to services with a registered DNS ...
Chicken Cobb Club with Onion/Blue Cheese Spread
1. In bowl, combine yellow onion, olive oil, and salt and pepper; mix well. Transfer to sheet pan; roast, stirring occasionally, in 400°F oven for 35-40 minutes, or until golden and tender. Cool. Finely chop. Cover; refrigerate until ready to use.. 2. To make spread: Gently combine onion, mayonnaise, blue cheese, parsley and lemon juice just until mixed. Place in covered container; refrigerate at least 2 hours.. 3. Lay out 12 slices toasted bread. Spread each slice with 1 T. onion/blue cheese spread. Top each with ¼ cup romaine lettuce, 2 oz. sliced chicken and 2 slices red onion. Put 1 T. onion/blue cheese spread on 12 more toasted bread slices; put on top of red onion. Top with 1 slice prosciutto, 3-4 slices avocado and 2 slices tomato. On remaining 12 toasted bread slices, spread 1 T. onion/blue cheese spread; place over each sandwich. Place food pick into both sides of each sandwich to secure; cut in half.. ...
Onion Health Benefits!! - Bless Ayurveda
Allium cepa with scientifically name, onion is called as Payaz in Hindi. A quick glimpse on Onion Health Benefits is listed below…. This is one of the oldest cultivated vegetable known very well for its medicinal properties. Onions all parts produce a strong odor when crushed which is due to organic Sulphur Compounds. When compared with other vegetables, onion is moderate in protein and rich in calcium and riboflavin.. Onion is known food for flavoring and seasoning of Indian kitchens. Onion can be used in many ways. It can be eaten raw or cooked and eaten as vegetable. Onion can be sliced and dried to store. These slices can be used for flavoring and seasoning or garnishing various food stuffs!. ...
BBQ Shredded Chicken and Caramelized Red Onion Ranch Spaghetti - Picky Palate
BBQ Shredded Chicken and Caramelized Red Onion Ranch Spaghetti. 1 lb thin spaghetti noodles. 4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. 1/2 large red onion, peeled and finely chopped. 2 Tablespoons dry Ranch Dressing Mix. 3/4 Cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves. Shredded BBQ Chicken Click HERE For Homemade Recipe. 1. Cook spaghetti noodles according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking. Place olive oil into a large pot over medium heat. Saute red onions until softened and golden. Add cooked spaghetti to onions; mix and add dry Ranch Dressing seasoning and cilantro leaves. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Place noodles onto serving plates and top with warm shredded BBQ chicken. Garnish with cilantro leaf and serve.. 6 servings. ________________________________. Ill leave you with my stinkers at the Discovery Science Center, Love these boys!. ...
Tickler Cheddar with Red Onions: Buy Tickler Cheddar with Red Onions Online, Read Reviews at igourmet.com
Taw Valleys cheese makers have risen to the challenge once again creating an exciting, new, deliciously distinctive blend of Tickler Fabulous Extra Mature Cheddar with red onions. Brand new and already widely sought after, this fabulous new cheese builds on the already well-known and unique Tickler taste. It brings you the classic combination of cheddar and onions, with a fantastic aroma and fabulous flavor. Tickler with Red Onions is truly versatile and ideal for cooking-- working equally well as a main course ingredient, melted on top of your favorite burger, or shredded on top of a baked potato for that extra special finish. ...
Do Not Throw Away The Green Picks Of Spring Onions! These Parts Can Treat Insomnia Cold,Headaches And Much More… - eHealthyFood
Scallion, commonly known as spring onion or green onion is a small onion with long leaves. Spring Onion is an essential ingredient of Chinese and Continental dishes. It is one of the common ingredients in stews and stir-fries, as well as pasta, soufflés, fritters, noodles, soup and fried-rice. Its taste is enriching but not overpowering, which is why its green leaves mix well with seafood, carrot, cabbage, green peas, potato, and many other vegetables.. Its uses, however, extend beyond the culinary world. The next time you eat this vegetable at home or in a restaurant, you should definitely eat more of the green leaves of onions. They are full of valuable nutrients. The green onions medicinal part is its stem.. Over the centuries, the Chinese have emphasized the importance of green shoots, especially the green onions. This herb is dominant in their food and their daily life and it is no wonder that Chinese people live long and are very healthy. Moreover, in south Asia, we see that many people ...
Dont Hold the Onions « Food and Fitness
Famously known for making you cry when you cut them and giving you bad breath when you eat them, onions just dont get any respect. Yet, this Rodney Dangerfield of vegetables has a lot to boast about.. Maybe youre ignoring onions - avoiding these pungent vegetables on a salad bar and skipping them on your sandwich or burger. But holding the onions means youre missing out on the bevy of bioactive compounds hiding underneath the paper-like skin.. Onions, like garlic, belong to the Allium family. Both bulbs are rich in sulfur-containing compounds that are responsible for their distinctive odors and for many of their health benefits. Yet garlic seems to get all the glory.. Its true that garlic is more heavily researched, but the scientific support for onions is not too shabby. People often underestimate the nutritional prowess of pale vegetables compared to deeply hued plants, but white and yellow onions contain a lot more health-enhancing polyphenols than you might expect. Red onions contain ...
Get PDF - Influence of nitrogen levels, bulb size and row spacing on seed yield in onion (Allium cepa L.)
Madan, S.P.S.; Saimbhi, M.S., 1984: Influence of nitrogen levels, bulb size and row spacing on seed yield in onion (Allium cepa L.)
An Evaluation of the Hypoglycemic, Antioxidant and Hepatoprotective Potentials of Onion (Allium cepa L.) on Alloxan-induced...
Fulltext - An Evaluation of the Hypoglycemic, Antioxidant and Hepatoprotective Potentials of Onion (Allium cepa L.) on Alloxan-induced Diabetic Rabbits
Effects of different levels of potassium fertilization on yield, quality and storage life of onion (Allium cepa L.) at Jimma,...
Effects of different levels of potassium fertilization on yield, quality and storage life of onion (Allium cepa L.) at Jimma, Southwestern Ethiopia., Muluneh Bekele
Apples or Onions
My friend says she can eat an onion like an apple. I say that is wrong! An onion should be eaten like an onion and an apple like an apple! After all, an onion is supposed to be an onion. If it is so mild that it can be eaten like an apple, it is not a good onion. Is it?. That brings to mind those of us who say we are Christians. The definition of Christian is Christ-follower; that is one who believes in Christ and exhibits kindness, helpfulness and concern for others.. Are you brave enough to ask yourself this question?. Am I really living true to the teaching of Christ or am I an onion pretending to be an apple?. Summing it all up, friends, Id say youll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious-the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will ...
creamed onions with bacon and chives - smitten kitchen
Kosher salt, to taste (I used 1 teaspoon of Diamond Kosher salt). Blanch the pearl onions for 3 minutes in a pot of boiling salted water. Drain, shock in a bath of ice water, and drain again. Peel the onions (making a slit with a paring knife down the side made this easiest for me), leaving a little of the root end intact.. [Want to use frozen, already peeled onions instead? I list some potential sources in the post.]. in a medium saucepan, cook the bacon until crisp, then remove it with a slotted spoon and drain it on paper towels. Leave only two tablespoons of the cooking fat in the pan, and add the pearl onions, heavy cream and nutmeg. Add salt to taste.. Cover the pot with a lid, leaving it a little ajar. Cook onions until they are nearly cooked through, about 90 percent of the way then remove the lid and finish cooking the onions while reducing the cream by half. Stir in the sherry.. If your onions are done cooking before the cream has sufficiently reduced or if youre unsure about the ...
How To Carmelize Onions - Fun and Food Blog
If you love cooking as much as I do, I am pretty sure at some point of time, you must have been enthused by the flavor of Carmelized Onions, be it as a topping on your Pizza, or a garnish on your Pasta or Salad, and Ive received several requests to post about how to make them at home. The first thing you notice about these Onions is that they are Golden-Brown. But the more important fact is how they smell and taste; unlike regularly sauteed onions, Carmelized Onions have a unique flavor, fragrance and texture, which is brought upon by the chemical reactions between sugar, water content in the onions, and of course, the heat in your skillet. Heres a scientific explanation for carmelized onions, if you are interested, but for home cooks like me just looking for a simple tutorial on How to Carmelize Onions at home, just hop ahead and read on! [Image courtesy: Fine Cooking ...
Health officials link U.S. salmonella outbreak to red onions - Leprent
Federal health officials say an outbreak of salmonella infecting nearly 400 people in more than 30 states has been linked to red onions, and identified a California company as the likely source.. The Food and Drug Administration said in a statement on Friday that Thomson International of Bakersfield, California, has notified the food agency that it will be recalling all varieties of onions that could have come in contact with potentially contaminated red onions because of the risk of cross-contamination.. This recall would include red, white, yellow, and sweet onions from Thomson International, the agency said.. Thomson couldnt immediately be reached for comment.. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that Salmonella Newport has sickened 396 people and landed nearly 60 in the hospital. There have been no deaths linked to the outbreak, which was first identified July 10 and has since grown. The agency says the illnesses began between mid-June and mid-July.. The Public Health Agency ...
Maple-Roasted Delicata Squash with Red Onion recipe | Epicurious.com
This is delicious even though I had to modify the recipe slightly. I halved the recipe so had to estimate amounts -- I may have used a bit more red pepper and a bit less maple syrup. I substituted yellow onion for some of the red onion. And I used a ceramic pan so the vegetables werent in a single layer. Oh, and I roasted the squash longer than the recipe specified so the onions would caramelize. Despite the changes it was fantastic! Cant wait to make it again, next time with the right amount of red onion. Try it! Youll love it! ...
Grown red onions linked to Salmonella outbreak in Canada
People who have red onions at home, or are buying them at a store, should look for a label - which may be printed on the package or on a sticker - showing where they were grown.. If you have any of these potentially contaminated onions, discard them and wash your hands afterwards, said Dr. DeBess. These can also have been bought from Sysco on-line or by numerous restaurant areas. The CDC estimates that about 450 persons in the United States die each year from acute salmonellosis. You should also clean your fridge drawers, shelves and any surface that came into contact with the onions.. For a full listing of recalled products related to this Sysco red onions recall, visit the Canadian Food Inspection Agency here.. ...
10 Tips For Growing Onions Like A Boss | Ten at the Table
1)Dont fertilize! Surprise! A plant that doesnt really like to be fed. You get to save money on onions, because all you really need to do is water.. 2)Theyre masters of disguise! Onions will look healthy even if they are bone dry, be sure to water during drought conditions.. 3)Loosen the ground! Before planting onions, remove all rocks and hard soil from bed, dig a trench and fill with loose fertilized soil. The unions will be expanding in the ground, so make sure the dirt isnt too rocky, or compact.. 4)Spacing! If you are planting green onions, then you would only need to plant them an inch apart. However, if you are planting extra large onions, you would need to leave enough room for them to grow to their full potential, and a little bit more. If you ended up not allowing enough space, you can always transplant them later.. 5)Early harvest!Plant extra if you want to harvest some onions early, long before they form bulbs, to use as scallions.. 6) Plant more than you think you need! Not ...
The Cell Structure of an Onion | Sciencing
Onion cells are among the most common choices for cell studies in early biology classes. Easily obtained, inexpensive, they offer samples with no difficult technique required. The thin layer of skin found on the inside of an onion scale (one layer of onion) lifts off without effort and can be wet mounted on a slide with no need for extreme skill. Likewise the cells are large, regular, easily seen and conform very well with the standard generic elements of all plant cells. The growing tips of onion roots are similarly used as classic subjects when observing meiosis, for similar reasons of easy access and easy handling by novices. Onions, coupled with apples, potatoes and elodea leaves, are among the most reliable and useful of lab subjects when teaching new students the fundamentals of biology and the foundational skills of working in a biology lab.. ...
Hundreds sickened in salmonella outbreak linked to onions, officials say - KISS 104.1 FM
Officials believe contaminated onions are the source of a salmonella outbreak that has sickened hundreds of people in recent weeks in the U.S. and Canada.. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a food safety alert Friday warning consumers, restaurants and retailers not to eat, serve or sell onions from California-based Thomson International Inc.. If you cant tell where your onions are from, dont eat them. Throw them away, officials said in the alert. If you made any foods with onions and you dont know where they are from, do not eat them. Throw them away, even if no one got sick.. Red onions from Thomson International have been linked to an outbreak that has sickened 396 people in 34 states and more than 100 people in Canada, according to the Food and Drug Administration. Still, officials cautioned people against eating any onion varieties grown by Thomson due to potential cross-contamination. ...
Onions - the Unsung Hero of Healthy Eating
The onion and its satin wrappings is among the most beautiful of vegetables and is the only one that represents the essence of things. It can be said to have a soul. -- Charles Dudley Warner, My Summer in a Garden (1871). Onions may or may not have a soul, but they do provide substantial health benefits. Part of the Allium family of vegetables, onions, along with garlic, leeks, shallots, scallions and chives, have shown they help reduce cancer risks, contribute to heart health, aid digestion, protect brain tissue, and strengthen bones.. Nutrition studies suggest eating more onions and other Allium vegetables is linked to lower risks for stomach, colon and prostate cancers. Onions contain antioxidants, including high levels of quercetin, a flavonoid found to prevent cancer risk by detoxifying cells, slowing tumor growth, and suppressing the spread of cancer cells. The quercetin flavonoid may also offset damage to muscles and brain tissue. A 2009 study of women who ate onions daily showed they ...
Onion Cell Mitosis Worksheet Answers Best Of Ion Cell Mitosis Worksheet Answers Root Tip Biology - Chessmuseum Template Library
Onion Cell Mitosis Worksheet Answers Best Of Ion Cell Mitosis Worksheet Answers Root Tip Biology one of Chessmuseum Template Library - free resume template for word education on a resume example ideas, to explore this Onion Cell Mitosis Worksheet Answers Best Of Ion Cell Mitosis Worksheet Answers Root Tip Biology idea you can browse by and . We hope your happy with this Onion Cell Mitosis Worksheet Answers Best Of Ion Cell Mitosis Worksheet Answers Root Tip Biology idea. You can download and please share this Onion Cell Mitosis Worksheet Answers Best Of Ion Cell Mitosis Worksheet Answers Root Tip Biology ideas to your friends and family via your social media account. Back to 50 Onion Cell Mitosis Worksheet Answers. ...
Onion Cell Mitosis Worksheet Answers Luxury Ion Cell Mitosis Worksheet Answers Root Tip Biology - Chessmuseum Template Library
Onion Cell Mitosis Worksheet Answers Luxury Ion Cell Mitosis Worksheet Answers Root Tip Biology one of Chessmuseum Template Library - free resume template for word education on a resume example ideas, to explore this Onion Cell Mitosis Worksheet Answers Luxury Ion Cell Mitosis Worksheet Answers Root Tip Biology idea you can browse by and . We hope your happy with this Onion Cell Mitosis Worksheet Answers Luxury Ion Cell Mitosis Worksheet Answers Root Tip Biology idea. You can download and please share this Onion Cell Mitosis Worksheet Answers Luxury Ion Cell Mitosis Worksheet Answers Root Tip Biology ideas to your friends and family via your social media account. Back to 50 Onion Cell Mitosis Worksheet Answers. ...
Bulb onions | definition of Bulb onions by Medical dictionary
Looking for online definition of Bulb onions in the Medical Dictionary? Bulb onions explanation free. What is Bulb onions? Meaning of Bulb onions medical term. What does Bulb onions mean?
10 Health Benefits and Nutritional Value of Onion
We often find onions in a variety of dishes, but did you know the benefits and nutritional content of onions? Onions have a characteristic that is rich in thiosulfinat, sulfide, sulfur oxides and other sulfur-smelling mixture. Custeine Sulfur Oxides which was instrumental in the onion flavor and produce substances that make pain in the eyes. Thiosulfinates produce anti-bacterial substance. Onion is effective against many bacteria including: Bacillus subtilis, Salmonella, and E. coli. Onions garlic is not as hard as her sulfur content is approximately a quarter rather than garlic ...
Cell proliferation in Allium cepa L. meristems under 8-hydroxyquinoline, a chelating agent that affects DNA and RNA polymerases...
8-Hydroxyquinoline (HQ) chelates Mg2+ and Mn2+ and, secondarily, affects the activities of DNA and RNA polymerases. The in vivo effect of HQ has been estimated in Allium cepa L. meristems growing under new growth kinetics in the presence of this agent. HQ (at both 5 X 10(−5) M and 10(−4) M) depressed incorporation of [3H]uridine much more effectively than that of [3H]-thymidine. Cycle kinetics in meristems behaved as if they were independent of the rates of synthesis or accumulation of RNA since, under HQ, cycle time was only moderately modified and the new cycle kinetics achieved could be explained by the new rates of [3H]thymidine incorporation. Lengthened S periods were partially compensated for by shortened G2 phases, suggesting that, in these cells, both the growth cycle and its coupling with the DNA-division cycle were not disturbed by a decreased amount of RNA. Finally, the nucleolar cycle during mitosis, but not the interphase nucleolus, was modified under the new rates of RNA ...
Appendicular Mucocele - Classical Onion Skin Sign - On Ultrasonography :: Share and Learn Radiology
Mucocele of Appendix in a 45 year old lady shows the Classical Onion Skin Sign - On Ultrasonography.UltrasoundAperistaltic anechoic /cystic sOL with layered internal echoes like onion skin or onion peels layering. The presence of an "onion
A microscopic investigation of cytoplasmic streaming in the inner epidermis of Allium cepa...
This paper describes experiments of important life processes at a microscopic scale observed with a light microscope. The study of cytoplasmic streaming in the inner and outer epidermis of an onion bulb scale (Allium cepa) is a fascinating and rewarding activity. This article is in Adobe Acrobat pdf format. Right mouse click the link below to save to your PC, where it can be opened and read in Acrobat Reader . This software is freely downloadable from Adobes web site if required.. Cytoplasmic streaming in the inner epidermis of Allium cepa ...
Effect of diets fortified with tomatoes or onions with variable quercetin-glycoside content on azoxymethane-induced aberrant...
TY - JOUR. T1 - Effect of diets fortified with tomatoes or onions with variable quercetin-glycoside content on azoxymethane-induced aberrant crypt foci in the colon of rats. AU - Femia, A.P.. AU - Caderni, G.. AU - Ianni, M.. AU - Salvadori, M.. AU - Schijlen, E.G.W.M.. AU - Collins, G.. AU - Bovy, A.G.. AU - Dolara, P.. PY - 2003. Y1 - 2003. N2 - Background: Onion and tomato are vegetables widely consumed by humans and epidemiological studies show an inverse association between vegetable consumption and colon cancer risk; however, the effect on colon cancer of diets containing high levels of vegetables like onion and tomato are not clear. Aims of the study: To investigate whether tomatoes and onions,with low or high quercetin-glycoside content, could reduce azoxymethane (AOM)-induced Aberrant Crypt Foci (ACF), preneoplastic lesions in the colon of rats. Methods: Male Fisher 344 rats were fed the following diets: a) high fat (HF) diet (control diet); b) HF diet containing 20 % (w/w) tomatoes ...
True Elements Roasted Pumpkin Seeds Cheesy Onion (Pack Of 2): Buy True Elements Roasted Pumpkin Seeds Cheesy Onion (Pack Of 2)...
True Elements Roasted Pumpkin Seeds Cheesy Onion (Pack Of 2) Online: Buy True Elements Roasted Pumpkin Seeds Cheesy Onion (Pack Of 2) in India at NykaaMan. Shop True Elements Roasted Pumpkin Seeds Cheesy Onion (Pack Of 2) at low prices. ✓Original Products ✓COD ✓Free Shipping
Zenport: Onion/topiary/sheep shear [ZL122G] - Harvest & Thinning Shears - Hand Tools - Gardening & Hydroponics Store -...
Zenport Onion/topiary/sheep shear ZL122G Onion/Topiary Shears Heavy Duty, carbon steel, double-bow sheep shears. Also used for topiary applications, trimming plants, and topping onions during harvest. 13 inch long. Blades are 6.5 inch long. Feature a safety lock and soft TPR grips for comfortable operation. Features comfortable grips and a safety latch to close the blades when not in use. The ZL122G features cushion grips and a blade lock, otherwise it is very similar to the ZL122. Zenport: Onion/topiary/sheep shear [ZL122G] - Harvest & Thinning Shears - Hand Tools - Gardening & Hydroponics Store -
Onion Washing Machine - Onion Washing Machine Suppliers, Buyers, Wholesalers and Manufacturers - ecplaza.net
Onion Washing Machine directory ☆ Onion Washing Machine manufacturers, suppliers ☆ Onion Washing Machine buyers, importers, wholesalers, distributors
Hate Onions? Start Loving Them! | SparkPeople
The more red onion you eat, the lower your blood-sugar glucose levels will be. They are beneficial to gastrointestinal health. Red onions also reduce inflammation in the blood vessels. Onions have sulfur compounds, & the minerals calcium, magnesium.
Onion thrips and corn leaf aphid populations - MSU Extension
Crop Advisory Team Alerts. Check the label of any pesticide referenced to ensure your use is included. Onion thrips populations remain high in many onion fields due to the high temperatures. (view image) Numbers are decreased somewhat, but heavy rainfall, but can quickly rebound. Carzol appears to be working well to control thrips (See the July 19 issue of the Vegetable CAT Alert.). We have received reports of high populations of corn leaf aphids in sweet corn. Corn leaf aphids are about a sixteenth of an inch long, blue-green and have short black cornicles (stovepipes). Like other aphids, females give live birth to offspring (all of which are also females) without fertilization. Also, like other aphids, populations can build very rapidly, especially in hot weather. High corn leaf aphid populations can reduce yield in drought-stressed plants. Of more significance is the honeydew they produce while feeding. The honeydew accumulates on the plant and promotes the growth of sooty mold. Sweet corn ...
Struktura genoma, kemijski sastav i biološka aktivnost triploidnog luka Allium × cornutum Clementi ex Visiani | Repository of...
Allium × cornutum Clementi ex Visiani is unique onion type, traditionally cultivated in South and coastal Croatia under the name Ljutika and used in human diet. It is resistant to cold weather conditiones and drought, and adapted to growth on poor stony ground. This paper attempts to explore genome structure, shed light on the nutritional composition and check biological activity of this species. Molecular-cytogenetic and phylogenetic analysis of two ribosomal genes, 18S-5.8S-26S rDNA and 5S rDNA revealed that Ljutika is a unique hybrid of three onion species: common onion, Allium cepa L., and two Asian onions, Allium pskemense B. Fedtsch and Allium roylei Stearn. One haploid genome (x = 8) of each of the three parent species was identified and visualized on mitotic and meiotic chromosomes of A. × cornutum by fluorescent in situ hybridization. Chloroplast and mitochondrial gene analysis showed that Ljutika possesses a sterile CMS-S type of cytoplasm, important for onion breeding. ...
ALLIUM INSUBRICUM SEEDS (Parasol onion) - Plant World Seeds
ALLIUM INSUBRICUM SEEDS (Parasol onion) - Plant World Seeds. From the Alps, this is considered to be possibly the most desirable of allium species being closely related to the equally beautiful Allium narcissiflorum. A very scarce species, it has heads of up to five individually very large flowers of bright rose pink, hanging in clustered heads in summer. This is a neat, non-invasive plant for a sunny alpine bed or trough and produces very few seeds indeed.
Shallots and onion question
The seed heads that appear at the top of the red onions is a sign that the onions have bolted or gone to seed. This is mainly due to a cold spell after planting and then rapid growth. it is normal to have a few bolters (about 5%) in a normal year but this year it was nearly 50% in places. If sets are stored in too high a temperature before planting then this can start off the bolting. Bolters should be pulled up and put in compost heap. As for shallots it is normal for each shallot bulb that is planted to produce 5 or up to 8 new bulbs as it develops whereas a set no matter what size it is will produce only one large bulb. You have planted everything correctly but the weather has played tricks on you ...
Turn up the heat- Garlic, onions and other warming herbs - HONEY POT HERBALS
Providing your body warm nourishing foods helps warm you as well as nourishes your body to fight off the illness; fighting an illness requires your bodys energy and so you will need to replenish with good food and lots to drink. Staying hydrated is essential as fever can dehydrate you. Here again, warming herbs and spices can help. Think homemade chicken soup with onions, garlic and black pepper. Onions and garlic have gained an excellent reputation for fighting off colds and flu. Many sources on the internet attribute garlics many proven health benefits to a compound called allicin which forms when garlic (or onions) are crushed or chopped. However, there is stronger indication that the health benefits of garlic (which include immune system support to fight colds and flu) stem from a complex array of water soluble compounds extracted over time in water based solutions. For those who want more complex, clinical information click here and here and here.. In general, although many single ...
Nutrition Facts Comparison For 1 Cup, Chopped Of Onions Spring Or Scallions (includes Tops And Bulb) Raw Vs 1 Cup, Chopped Of...
Nutrition Facts Comparison For 1 Cup, Chopped Of Onions Spring Or Scallions (includes Tops And Bulb) Raw Vs 1 Cup, Chopped Of Onions Spring Or Scallions (includes Tops And Bulb) Raw Vs 1 Medium (4-1/8 Long) Of Onions Spring Or Scallions (includes Tops And Bulb) Raw
Recipes with Potato starch, Vegetable broth, Onion powder, Onions, Black pepper, Salt, Thyme - Recipe Puppy
Many recipes call for a 40 gram (1.4oz) packet of French onion soup mix or dry onion soup mix. This makes a great replacement.Can be made gluten-free with... ...
Onion Beef Roast | Parents
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place roast on work surface; trim any excess fat.. 2. Combine seasoned salt, herbs de Provence, cumin seeds, garlic powder and pepper. Rub all over roast.. 3. In ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown roast on all sides, about 3 minutes. Add onions and wine; remove from heat. Cover with foil.. 4. Place skillet in 350 degree oven. Roast until fork-tender, about 2 hours. Carefully remove skillet from oven. Let stand, covered, 20 minutes.. 5. Meanwhile, trim asparagus. Heat skillet with 1/2 inch water over medium-high heat to bare simmer. Add asparagus; cook until fork-tender, 4 minutes. Drain asparagus; keep warm.. 6. Uncover roast. Transfer to serving platter. Strain onion solids from roasting pan over a bowl. Transfer solids to food processor. Puree. Skim as much fat as possible from pan drippings. Stir in pureed onion solids. Serve roast sliced with asparagus and gravy. Makes 6 servings. ...
Recipes with Potato starch, Vegetable broth, Onion powder, Onions, Black pepper - Recipe Puppy
Many recipes call for a 40 gram (1.4oz) packet of French onion soup mix or dry onion soup mix. This makes a great replacement.Can be made gluten-free with... ...
Tuscan Onion Confit Recipe on Food52
For years now, on the day before Thanksgiving my mother has made what in my family goes by the slightly unappetizing name of Tuscan Onion Goo. Inspired by a visit to a family-owned gem in Florence called Ristorante del Fagioli, this sour-sweet onion confit was originally served to her as an antipasto. She enjoyed it so much that she asked, in halting but enthusiastic Italian, if the waiter would tell her how it was made. He promptly ushered her into the tiny kitchen, where the sweaty, grinning chef himself showed her how to put together the dish. She took mental notes and then came home and recreated it, with a few small adaptations. The recipe has since become one of my mothers signatures, and Thanksgiving would simply not be Thanksgiving in our house without Tuscan Onion Goo. Its a great addition -- or alternative -- to cranberry sauce. While the flavors are very different, it serves a similar role: the sweetness provides a counterpoint to other, more savory sides, and the acid in the vinegar
Asparagus, Red Onion, and Tofu Stir-Fry
Heat a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and heat for 1 minute. Add the asparagus and onion. Cook, tossing, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Remove to a tray. Return the pan to the heat. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and heat. Place the tofu in the pan. Cook, without tossing, for 1 minute, or until browned on bottom. Toss. Cook for 2 minutes more, or until all sides are browned. Return the asparagus, onion, and flaxseed to the pan along with the marinade. Toss for 1 minute, or until thickened. Serve sprinkled with the sesame seeds ...
Steamed Asparagus with Red Onions - Andrea Meyers
Recipe for steamed asparagus with red onions, almonds, and raisins. A super fast and healthy vegetable side dish thats naturally gluten free.
Onion Production : USDA ARS
Allium spp.are members of the family Amaryllidaceae. This genus consists of over 400 species including: ampeloprasum (leek), cepa (common onion), fistulosum (bunching onion), sativum (garlic), schoenoprasum (common chives), and tuberosum (garlic chives). Alliums have perfect flowers but, can not self-pollinate because the male anthers shed pollen before the female stigma is receptive. Therefore they cross-pollinate via insects (flies and bees) or by manually pollinating (hand-pollinating) the flowers in a controlled environment. Seed producers must keep in mind that varieties of the same species will cross-pollinate with other varieties of the same species. Chives reproduce by division of bulbs and produces seed. To reproduce garlic you must save healthy heads and replant the individual cloves separately. Topsetting or hardneck varieties of garlic will produce a seedhead with bubils. These can be planted, but it will take several successive years to get good-sized heads.. Many alliums (A. cepa) ...
Bakmi | Find Me A Cure
Order: Asparagales. Common Names: Shallot, Small onion. Shallots probably originated in Central or Southwest Asia, travelling from there to India and the eastern Mediterranean. The name shallot comes from Ashkelon, an ancient Canaanite city, where people in classical Greek times believed shallots originated.. Indian names for shallots include kaanda or gandana or pyaaz (Hindi, Marathi, Marwari and Punjabi), gundhun (Bengali), cheriya ulli or chuvanna ulli (Malayalam), (ulli piaja in Odia), chinna ullipayi (Telugu) and chinna vengayam (or sambar vengayam in the Chennai region) (Tamil). In the Kashmiri language, shallots are called praan. In Nepal, shallots are called chyapi .. In Southeastern Asia, shallots are called bawang merah kecil (small red onions) in Malay, brambang in Java, sibuyas bombay (Indian onion) in the Philippines (in contrast with sibuyas Tagalog, the larger, red onion), and hom (???, fragrant) in Thai. In Cambodian (Khmer), shallots are called katem kror hom, where katem or ...
Effects of Industrial Effluent on the Environment Using Allium Cepa and Zea Mays as Bioindicators - EA Journals
Indiscriminate handling and disposal of industrial effluents into the environment represents one of the major sources of environmental pollution which invariably affects the health of man, plants and animals. The toxic effect of effluent from a candy-producing industry was investigated in terms of root growth inhibition and overall phytotoxicity using bio-indicator plants; Allium cepa and Zea mays. The presence and concentrations of some metals of environmental concern as well as Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in the effluent were also determined. The Allium cepa and Zea mays tests were carried out at concentrations of 1, 5,10,25,50 and 100% of the untreated effluent. There was statistical significant (P,0.05) inhibition of root growth in both plants, the shoot length measurement also showed significant difference (P,0.05) at the different concentrations of the effluent as compared with the control. Morphological abnormalities were observed in the roots of the bio-indicator plants, it is ...
Evaluation of the effect of efficient microorganisms and Trichoderma harzianum application on the production of onion plantlets...
Information about the open-access article Evaluation of the effect of efficient microorganisms and Trichoderma harzianum application on the production of onion plantlets (Allium cepa L.) in DOAJ. DOAJ is an online directory that indexes and provides access to quality open access, peer-reviewed journals.
Evaluation of the effect of efficient microorganisms and Trichoderma harzianum application on the production of onion plantlets...
Information about the open-access article Evaluation of the effect of efficient microorganisms and Trichoderma harzianum application on the production of onion plantlets (Allium cepa L.) in DOAJ. DOAJ is an online directory that indexes and provides access to quality open access, peer-reviewed journals.
Kim Kasch Blogsite - A Writers Blog: ONIONS - Allium is one of the Kissing Cousins
And allium is a beautiful flower, whether it is in the white variety or the purple or blue (this blue flower is a bachelor button not an allium)however, it is really from the onion family. You can read more about them here. I just thought Id share the idea of planting onions, garlic and other herbs and merely letting them go to seed. You might be surprised by what you get and pleasantly ...
Ravioli With Peas And Shallots No Null Green Onion Recipes | Foodily
See all results for Ravioli With Peas And Shallots No Null Green Onion Recipes. Find more recipes at Foodily.com - the largest recipe search site - and see the ones your friends like.
CiNii 論文 - The Cytogenetic Effects of the Food Additive Boric Acid in Allium cepa L. ...
In this study, the cytogenetic effects of boric acid (BA) were investigated in root tip cells of Allium cepa L. The roots of A. cepa were treated with the concentration of 1 g/l, 2 g/l and 4 g/l of BA for 10 and 20 h treatment pariods. BA significantly decreased the mitotic index (MI) compared to the control at all concentrations and treatment periods. However, the decreasing of the MI was not dose-dependent. BA slightly increased the percentage of abnormal cells.. ...
turkey Archives | Healthy with Jodi
2 tsp avocado oil. 1 lb ground turkey (can sub Bison). 1 cup broccoli 1 cup red and or green cabbage. 1 medium yellow onion. 3 cloves garlic. 1 tsp ground ginger or ginger powder. ¼ cup coconut aminos. Salt and black pepper to taste. 2-3 green onion stalks, finely chopped. Optional: ¼ tsp red pepper flakes Brown the meat in cast iron pan. Cover and remove from heat while preparing the veggie mix.. On medium to high heat saute chopped yellow onion (not the green onions) and avocado oil for 3 mins.. In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, ginger and aminos and add to pan, and then immediately add veggies.. Cook for a 3-5 minutes, stirring often. Add chopped green onions and meat, combine well.. Salt and black pepper to taste. More Stir Fry Recipes. ...
تأثیر سولفات و سلنیوم بر برخی شاخصهای ریختشناختی و ویژگیهای پاداکسندگی پیاز قرمز آذرشهر
پیاز خوراکی ازجمله سبزی-های پرمصرف در زنجیرۀ غذایی مردم جامعه بوده و محققان همواره در تلاش هستند تا کیفیت غذایی آن را بهبود بخشند. این پژوهش برای بررسی تأثیر سطوح مختلف گوگرد (32، 64 و 128 میلی-گرم در لیتر سولفات و سلنیوم (0، 1 و 2 میلی-گرم در لیتر سلنات) بر صفات رشدی و ویژگی-های پاداکسندگی (آنتیاکسیدانی) پیاز (Allium cepa L.) رقم قرمز آذرشهر در شرایط آبکشتی (هیدروپونیک) انجام شد. نتایج نشان داد، غلظت-های سولفات و سلنات و همچنین اثر متقابل این دو بر بیشتر صفات رویشی در سوخ معنی-دار بود؛ به-طوری-که بالاترین وزن تر و قطر سوخ (70/35 گرم و 24/38 میلی-متر) در تیمار 128 میلی-گرم در لیتر
Deglucosidation of Quercetin Glucosides to the Aglycone and Formation of Antifungal Agents by Peroxidase-Dependent Oxidation of...
Outer scales of yellow onion bulbs turn brown during maturing. The brown outer scales contain an antifungal component, 3,4-dihydroxybenzoic acid. An aim of the present study is to elucidate the mechanism of formation of the benzoic acid. In a browning scale, the scale was divided into three areas; fleshy, drying and dried brown areas. Levels of quercetin glucosides in dried brown areas were less than 10% of the glucosides in fleshy and drying areas, whereas levels of quercetin were high in dried brown areas. This result suggests that quercetin was formed by deglucosidation of quercetin glucosides on the border between drying and dried brown areas. Peroxidase (POX) activity of dried brown areas was about 10% of those of fleshy and drying areas. Quercetin was oxidized by autooxidation, and cell-free extracts of drying areas and POX isolated from onion scales enhanced the oxidation even in the absence of externally added hydrogen peroxide. The enhancement of quercetin oxidation was suppressed by ...
French Onion Soup with Roasted Garlic Croutons - Rachael Ray
Preheat oven to 400°F. Dress the garlic with drizzle of oil, salt and pepper, wrap tightly in a foil pouch and roast to tender 40-45 minutes. Let garlic cool, then squeeze cloves out of their skins and mash into paste. Meanwhile, heat a soup pot over medium heat. Add oil, 2 turns of the pan and melt in butter. Add onions and garlic, season with salt and pepper. Add bay leaf and ground thyme or thyme bundle, and cook slowly, stirring frequently, until onions are golden and very soft, about 45 minutes. Add sherry and reduce until about 2 tablespoons of liquid are left. Add stock and bring soup to a low boil; simmer 45 minutes. To serve, remove bay leaf and thyme bundle, if using. Place soup in deep, small bowls and top with a sliced of toast smeared with garlic paste, garlic-side up. Sprinkle garlic toasted with cheese, place bowls 6 inches from broiler and cook until cheese is brown and bubbly. ...
For an earache onion can really work! Quercetin,a powerful potent anti oxidant flavonoid found in?
Question posted in: infections, onion, infection, quercetin, earache - Additional details: onion is able to ward off infections. You heat a half of ...
Walmart Birds Eye Recipe Ready Tri Color Pepper & Onion Blend Frozen Vegetables Delivery Online in Austin, Dallas, Houston, San...
Buy Walmart Birds Eye Recipe Ready Tri Color Pepper & Onion Blend Frozen Vegetables online in Houston, San Antonio. Get best deal on all Birds Eye Recipe Ready Tri Color Pepper & Onion Blend Frozen Vegetables delivery online in Austin at grocery delivery website - Burpy.com
Brussels Sprouts with Vinegar-Glazed Onions
Brussels Sprouts with Vinegar-Glazed Onions recipe: Try this Brussels Sprouts with Vinegar-Glazed Onions recipe, or contribute your own.
Vegetables | Natural Health Remedies
Onion health benefits have been said to be wide-ranging. These have been asserted to help for the common cold, heart disease, osteoporosis, diabetes and also other diseases as well. Onions are said to have compounds which are helpful for anti-inflammation, also anticholesterol, furthermore, anticancerous and additionally antioxidant function - for instance quercetin. Moreover, it is said that initial examination has indicated that onions help to limit the danger of head and also neck cancers. Of note, is that Asian white onions are said to be the most irritating to eyes. However, it is said that regular use of this when eaten raw apparently is helpful due to its antioxidant and ant-inflammatory features. It is asserted that in multiple locations around the globe, onions are meant to be helpful for healing blisters and also boils. Furthermore, from Malta, there is a traditional remedy in relation to sea urchin wounds which involves tying a half of a baked onion overnight to the affected area. ...
Organic conditions boost flavonoids and antioxidant activity in onions | EurekAlert! Science News
Five years ago, a highly publicized meta-analysis of more than 200 studies concluded that organic food was no more nutritious than conventionally grown food. Since then, however, additional work has suggested the organic foods contain more health-benefiting phytochemicals. Now, researchers have found that flavonoid levels and antioxidant activity in organic onions are higher than in conventional onions. Their investigation, in ACS Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, is the longest-running study to address the issue.
Calories in Guckenheimer 2 Egg White Omelet With Peppers, Mushrooms, Spinach, Onion No Cheese - Calories and Nutrition Facts |...
Calories in Guckenheimer 2 Egg White Omelet With Peppers, Mushrooms, Spinach, Onion No Cheese. Find nutrition facts for Guckenheimer 2 Egg White Omelet With Peppers, Mushrooms, Spinach, Onion No Cheese and over 2,000,000 other foods in MyFitnessPal.coms food database.
Did You Know that Onions Can Be a Major Driver for Hair Growth? | Suplemenvimax
Loss of hair is a very natural and common phenomenon. According to experts, losing about 100 strands of hair approximately in a day is quite common. Therefore, there is nothing to worry about. Losing hair in bulks can be a real cause of concern, as this might harm your physical appearance.. As per various studies released by doctors and hair care experts, it has been observed that onions form to be a major ingredient which can augment growth of healthy hair follicles to a large extent. Considered to be one of the best of natural remedies, onions are suggested by doctors to be used on scalp in case you suffer from issues related to hair loss.. Besides, using such natural ingredients, hair care experts suggest that, you take proper care of your hair. This is because hair is an important component of your personality, and hence losing hair till a large extent can cause permanent baldness. Excessive loss of hair can only be combated through hair transplantation, and due to rise in loss of hair ...
Calories in Tijuana Flats Chicken blk bean soft taco wheat powerlite no onion no jalapenos. Nutrition Facts, Ingredients and...
Find Out How Many Calories Are In Tijuana Flats Chicken Blk Bean Soft Taco Wheat Powerlite No Onion No Jalapenos, Good or Bad Points and Other Nutrition Facts about it. Take a look at Tijuana Flats Chicken Blk Bean Soft Taco Wheat Powerlite No Onion No Jalapenos related products and other millions of foods.
Mashed Black-eyed Beancakes with Ginger Onion Marmalade | Recipes | Delia Online
Delias Mashed Black-eyed Beancakes with Ginger Onion Marmalade recipe. Black-eyed beans are the lovely nutty beans that are popular in recipes from the deep south of America and, with the addition of other vegetables, they make very good beancakes. Fried crisp and crunchy on the outside and served with delectable ginger onion marmalade, this makes a splendid vegetarian main
Best Place for Escargor, french onion soup, and steak frites in Paris! - Fodors Travel Talk Forums
Europe - Best Place for Escargor, french onion soup, and steak frites in Paris! - Any restaurant suggestions on where to go for the best escargot (preferrably in the shell), french onion soup, and steak frites in Paris? Thanks!
They were accompanied by Neurospora; samples of human blood; E. coli; onions; mustard and corn seeds; Drosophila pupae; yeast; ...
His trademark quotes include: "Onions!" (when a shot is made late in a close game), "Send it in big fella!" (when a post player ... Richard Sandomir (March 25, 2009). "Crisp Analysis With a Big Helping of Onions". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-03-26. ... Onions! (of course) and more". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved 2020-02-11. ...
CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) Hills, Whitney (September 11, 2013). "Games! Girls! Onions!". Gamasutra. Retrieved ...
Anne Carson bibliography
Winter 2014). "Onions". The Threepenny Review (136): 30. JSTOR 24429737. - (January-February 2014). "Ancient Words, Modern ...
Stitch's Great Escape!
Onions." Gantu returns to the chamber and says, "Ensign Getco. What is going on in there?" The recruits answer his question by ...
"Onions! The tale of St. Peter's' Desi Washington, who daggered Fairfield three times". sbnation.com. Retrieved 7 March 2014. ...
1860 in literature
CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) Sutherland, John (2012). "Onions". The Dickens Dictionary. London: Icon. pp. 147-9. ...
Gonzaga Bulldogs men's basketball
And when you're sleepless in Seattle, why not get a little kiss... Gus... Oh! Major onions... all on his own! Look at the ... Morrison... six... fires... OH... HE BANKED IN A THREE! [Raftery shouts "OH!"] OH... WOW... [Raftery: ONIONS!] WHAT A GAME... [ ...
... and onions. It is also used on turf on golf courses. Two common fungi that vinclozolin is used to protect crops against are ... onions, 829; peaches, 15,203; plums, 163; raspberries, 3,247; and strawberries, 41,006. In 1997, two applications totaling 285 ...
Chinese chicken salad
It was a blend of shredded chicken, fried vermicelli, green onions and toasted almonds. Madame Wu's soon became known for her ... Simon Kander, published as early as 1910, includes a simple "Lettuce salad" with chopped onion and French or German dressing; ... green onions; coriander (cilantro); cashews or peanuts; and lemon dressing. It was noted therein, that "Many variations of this ...
ISO Development Environment
PP also implemented a P7 Messagestore (PPMS). PP was designed by Steve Kille and the lead engineer was Julian Onions. ISODE had ... Following version 6.0, Marshall handed the lead over to Colin Robbins and Julian Onions, who coordinated the 7.0 and 8.0 ... Marshall T. Rose Colin J. Robbins Julian P. Onions Several companies used the ISODE software to build successful commercial ... ISODE; Marshall Rose; Julian Onions; Colin Robbins; Steve Kille (1992). "The ISO Development Environment: User's Manual ( ...
Roses Are Red
Onions stink. And so do you. Country music singer Roger Miller parodied the poem in a verse of his 1964 hit "Dang Me": They say ...
"Shite 'n' Onions". Archived from the original on 2014-01-05. Retrieved 2006-09-08. "Shite 'n' Onions Volume 1 by Various ... "The 10 Greatest Celtic-punk CDs Ever , Shite'n'Onions". Shitenonions.com. 2010-06-17. Retrieved 2014-08-13. "Pirates of the ... Onions, being named after one of their tunes, and bands as far flung as in Germany and the United States now cover their songs ...
Punky Brüster - Cooked on Phonics
... baby onions; chauffeur to the stars Surrey Wagner - drums when DWC was out conquering Gauls in Norway Diananator - groupie ...
... onions, 8ozs; baking powder, 4ozs. The APB provided clothes which were all the same, black trousers and blue shirts for boys ...
Vantage Pointe Condominium
Showley,, Roger (July 27, 2009). "Orchids & Onions". San Diego Union Tribune.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link) ... "Grand Onion" award by the San Diego Architectural Foundation. List of tallest buildings in San Diego Bennett, Kelly (September ...
"Stooshe : Betty Woz Gone". Graphic Onions. Retrieved 28 June 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) "Artists & Derelicts ...
Cannawigara, South Australia
One of the major enterprises in the area is onion growing and there is a large packing shed near the former railway siding. ... "In the Packing Shed". Rowett Onions. Retrieved 2 April 2018.. ...
"Sprouting Onions". www.metmuseum.org. "Brooklyn Museum". www.brooklynmuseum.org. v t e. ...
"Shite'n'Onions Review". Shite'n'Onions. 2004-03-01. Retrieved 2011-07-20. Templeton, David (2006-08-30). "Too Many Memories". ...
2013-14 Nebraska Cornhuskers men's basketball team
Major Onions. Archived from the original on 2014-03-13. Retrieved March 13, 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) https ...
Harvest and Storage Harvest tools; curing onions; root-crop storage. Bulbs Selecting bulbs; naturalizing. Safe Lawn Care ...
Betty Woz Gone
"Stooshe : Betty Woz Gone". Graphic Onions. Retrieved 28 June 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) Lauren (15 October ...
Onions, J.; Hermann, S.; Grundström, T. (2000). "A novel type of calmodulin interaction in the inhibition of basic helix-loop- ...
In Denmark, traditionally, they are made from minced veal, pork or beef (or a blend of two of these meats); chopped onions; ... Other than mashed potato, cabe rawit, spring onion, shrimp, peeled corn, or mashed tofu fritters are also common as perkedel ...
Oxford 1971, p. 1888 Onions, Friedrichsen & Burchfield 1966, p. 600 Park & Taylor 1858, p. 212 Musselman 2007, pp. 194-197 ... ISBN 978-1-58983-422-4. Onions, Charles; Friedrichsen, George; Burchfield, R. (1966). The Oxford dictionary of English ...
"Green onions". YTMND. 2006-06-23. Retrieved 2006-06-23. "Misirlou". YTMND. 2007-01-11. Retrieved 2007-01-11. "Deception". YTMND ...
Onions, 1904; Jespersen, 1905; and Fowler and Fowler, 1906. Despite the defence by some grammarians, by the beginning of the ...
BOAC Flight 777
Onions, Ian. "The mystery of Flight 777: Mistaken identity or deadly mistake?" Bristol Evening Post, 31 May 2010. Retrieved: 25 ...
"Onion weed is taking over". Cire Services Inc. Retrieved 2020-05-25. Clive A. Stace (1997). "Allium L. - Onions". New Flora of ... It is known in English as three-cornered leek, and in Australia and New Zealand as onion weed. Both the English name and the ... The leaves have a distinct onion smell when crushed. All parts of the plant, from the bulb to the flowers, are edible fresh ( ... Allium triquetrum is a bulbous flowering plant in the genus Allium (onions and garlic) native to the Mediterranean basin. ...
All About Onions
The amazing onion provides layers of flavor, color, and texture to a wide variety of dishes and cuisines. But, their appeal ... In Egypt, onions were considered to be an object of worship. The onion symbolized eternity to the Egyptians who buried onions ... Before competition, athletes would consume pounds of onions, drink onion juice, and rub onions on their bodies. ... In Egypt, onions can be traced back to 3500 B.C. There is evidence that the Sumerians were growing onions as early as 2500 B.C ...
Internet Scientific Publications
The onions were washed with clean sterile distilled water and allowed to air dry for one hour. The outer covering of the onion ... The onion bulbs being separated were washed and extracted in the following ways:. * Exactly 200g of fresh onion bulbs were ... The onion is one of the oldest cultivated vegetables in history. It is thought that bulbs from the onion family have been ... Onion consists of its herbaceous plant part and its edible bulb part. It is probably a native to southwestern Asia3.The leaves ...
Spanish Onions - Wikipedia
Spanish Onions is an album by pianist Les McCann recorded in 1964 at a concert at the Esquire Theater in Los Angeles, CA., and ... All compositions by Les McCann except as indicated "El Soulo" - 3:16 "Lavande" - 6:40 "Spanish Onions" - 8:50 "Get Them Grits ... 2016 Spanish Onions - Listing at AllMusic. Retrieved January 12, 2016.. ...
Onions (surname) - Wikipedia
Onions is a surname, also spelled ONions. Notable persons with that surname include: Charles Talbut Onions (1873-1965), ... English grammarian and lexicographer George Onions (1883-1944), English recipient of the Victoria Cross Graham Onions (born ... also known as Sheila Walsh and Sophie Leyton This page lists people with the surname Onions. If an internal link intending to ... president and rector of Imperial College London Oliver Onions (1873-1961), English novelist Sheila ONions Walsh (1928-2009), ...
Chopping Onions (2015) - IMDb
Charles Talbut Onions - Wikipedia
Charles Talbut Onions (C. T. Onions) (10 September 1873 - 8 January 1965) was an English grammarian and lexicographer and the ... Onions last twenty years were largely devoted to completing The Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology (1966), which treated ... "C. T. Onions," Oxford English Dictionary website: "In 1914, he was appointed as the fourth editor and was responsible in that ... Onions was appointed a Commander of The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire in 1934. In 1945 he succeeded R. W. Chambers ...
Green Onions | Billboard
... and most have used onion juice or onion extract as the form of onion tested. Future research is needed to clarify onions ... Green onions in this group are often referred to either as Welsh onions or Japanese bunching onions. Shallots (Allium cepa var ... 5 Spice Onion Soup *7-Minute Healthy Sautéed Onions If youd like even more recipes and ways to prepare onions the Nutrient- ... Sometimes you will find early harvested onions being sold as "green onions." Other varieties of onions either form a very small ...
onions - New York Magazine
See an archive of all onions stories published on the New York Media network, which includes NYMag, The Cut, Vulture, and Grub ... Vidalia Onion Situation in Georgia Is Getting Real Intense. Bland risks fines of up to $5,000 per bag or box of onions. ... 4channers Are Eating Onions to Be More Manly. Soy Boys, Onion Lads, and 4chans never-ending quest for testosterone. ... So Vidalia Onions Are Sort of Like Ramps?. People care more about Vidalia onions than you might think. ...
Brush onions with melted margarine mixture. Fill onions with vegan bread crumb mixture and bake for 20 minutes.. Enjoy! ... 6 bermuda onions (4 pounds). 4 vegetable bouillon cubes. 10 fresh mushrooms, chopped. 1 cup soft bread crumbs. 1/8 cup ground ... 2. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until onions are almost tender. Drain and cool. With a small ... 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Peel onions, cut thin slices from the top of each then place in a large saucepan. Add ...
Onion Soufflé Cooked Inside an Onion... First, boil the onions to soften them. Then core them down to one or two... ... Egg Onion Rings... This ingeniously simple recipe by Donna at Apr... ...by Donna at Apron Strings requires only eggs and onions ... Neatorama Posts Tagged "onions" How to Cut an Onion... [http://youtu.be/EPpe1dn-daA] (YouTube link)How to... ...nary Curriculum ... Women Smell Like Onions; Men Smell Like Cheese And together, we smell like a quesadilla? OK, maybe not. But a company in Geneva ...
onions | Ohioline
COOKING WITH ONIONS - The Washington Post
To chop onions in the food processor, peel the onions and cut into quarters (or eighths, if the onions are large). Do not fill ... PICKLED ONIONS (Makes 1 1/2 cups). Pickled onions are a popular table sauce in Central America. You could also use pearl onions ... Peel the onions and thinly slice. Separate the slices into rings. Place the onions in a shallow bowl with the ice cubes and ... Drain the onions and rinse under cold water. Drain thoroughly and blot dry. Arrange the onions in a shallow bowl and toss with ...
Onion skinning - Wikipedia
Onion Skinning in I Can Animate. *Shape Shifter at Aniboom. To see onion skinning, press o then create a shape, add a frame, ... Onion skinning is a 2D computer graphics term for a technique used in creating animated cartoons and editing movies to see ... Onion skin of frame 7 of this image showing previous 3 frames ...
The Onion - YouTube
Onion Digital Studios: The Onions original entertainment production house. After many years of litigation, its va... ... Onion Film Standard Play all The Onions head film critic Peter K. Rosenthal examines movies both new and old. ... The Onion Reviews Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again - Duration: 3 minutes, 31 seconds.. The Onion ... The Onion Reviews An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth To Power - Duration: 3 minutes, 15 seconds.. The Onion ...
Buried Onions Resources
Additional resources and suggested topics for further study on Buried Onions by Gary Soto. Perfect for Buried Onions essays and ... Review of Buried Onions. Booklist 94 (November 15, 1997): 554. Argues that the unvarnished depiction of barrio life is valuable ... Buried Onions from Gale. ©2005-2006 Thomson Gale, a part of the Thomson Corporation. All rights reserved. ... everything you need to sharpen your knowledge of Buried Onions. ... Review of Buried Onions. School Library Journal 44 (January ...
Glazed Pearl Onions
Add onions; heat to boiling. Boil 1 minute; drain.. *Peel onions, leaving a little of the root ends to help hold shape during ... Add onions; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 5 to 10 minutes until onions are tender; drain. Wipe skillet ... In same skillet over high heat, cook onions, margarine or butter, currant jelly, sugar, and salt, stirring occasionally, until ...
Mushrooms and Onions - The Savvy Kitchen Recipes
Rebecca Onion/CV Rebecca Stiles Onion Curriculum VitaeCurrent Address: … ... Onion cv * 1. Rebecca Onion/CV Rebecca Stiles Onion Curriculum VitaeCurrent Address: Phone: [redacted for Web][redacted for Web ... 2. Rebecca Onion/CV"Picturing Nature and Childhood at the American Museum of Natural History and theBrooklyn Childrens Museum ... 3. Rebecca Onion/CVPublications (Non-Peer-Reviewed)2011 Wrote column for Society for the History of Childhood and Youth ...
onion | Infoplease
Pearl onions are small white onions used for pickling. The large Spanish and Bermuda onions have a delicate flavor. The onion ... Common varieties include the strong-flavored red onion, the milder yellow onion, and the bland white onion. ... onion. onion, plant of the family Liliaceae ( lily family), of the same genus ( Allium ) as the chive ( A. schoenoprasum ), ... The Welsh onion ( A. fistulosum ) is a leeklike plant popular in Asia. The chive, today found wild in Italy and Greece, is a ...
Italian Sausage, Peppers, and Onions | Allrecipes
... and onions for years and years now. For an extra kick, try using half sweet sausage and half hot sausage! ... Back to Italian Sausage, Peppers, and Onions All Reviews for Italian Sausage, Peppers, and Onions ... Stir in the yellow onion, red onion, and garlic, and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Mix in red bell pepper and green bell pepper. Season ... I used a bag of frozen yellow, red, green pepper and onion mix. I added 1 cup of low sodium vegetable broth. I cooked in the ...
How to Cut Green Onions | eHow
While similar, a green onion has a 1- to 2-inch bulb, while a scallion does not have a white bulb. Use green onions as a ... Green onions and scallions are not the same. ... Cut the onions as evenly as you can so they cook evenly and ... Green onions and scallions are not the same. While similar, a green onion has a 1- to 2-inch bulb, while a scallion does not ... Rinse the green onions thoroughly in a colander under cold, running water, and let them drain. Pat the green onions dry with a ...
Pickled Onions - Tesco Groceries
Learn more about our range of Pickled Onions ... Get quality Pickled Onions at Tesco. Shop in store or online. ... Add Tesco Sweet Silver Skin Onions In Vinegar 710G. Addadd Tesco Sweet Silver Skin Onions In Vinegar 710G to basket. ... Add Tesco Sweet Silver Skin Onions In Vinegar 440G. Addadd Tesco Sweet Silver Skin Onions In Vinegar 440G to basket. ... Add Haywards Silverskin Onions 400G. Addadd Haywards Silverskin Onions 400G to basket. ...
onions - Encyclopedia of Life
Brown Onions - Tesco Groceries
Learn more about our range of Brown Onions ... Get quality Brown Onions at Tesco. Shop in store or online. ... Add Tesco Brown Onions Minimum 3 Pack 385G. Addadd Tesco Brown Onions Minimum 3 Pack 385G to basket. ... Add Tesco Brown Onions 1Kg. Addadd Tesco Brown Onions 1Kg to basket. ... Add Tesco Brown Onions Loose. Addadd Tesco Brown Onions Loose to basket. ...
How to Saute Onions
Well show you how to chop an onion and how to saute onions so that theyre tender translucent, and ready to go into your ... Sauted onions add delicious, mellow flavor to lots of recipes. ... How to Saute Onions. Sauted onions add delicious, mellow flavor ... Turn and cut crosswise into pieces and that my friends is the easiest way to chop an onion. Next, just add your onions to hot ... Unlike caramelized onions, sauted onions arent brown but are just tender and flatly mellow the flavor in a recipe. Lastly, ...
Harvesting Onions - Garden.org
No matter how many onions you use during the season, though, its nice to have a crop of big... ... Theres never a time when onions arent ready for harvesting. They can be picked and eaten at any stage. ... Dont crowd onions during curing; give them room to breathe.. *Onions are ready to store when the skins rattle and the roots ... No matter how many onions you use during the season, though, its nice to have a crop of big onions mature at the end of summer ...
Onions: A Growing Guide
Growing onions is easier than you might think. Theyre the perfect crop to tuck in between other plants or in corners of garden ... Egyptian Onions. Plant Egyptian onions in fall throughout the country; harvest some in spring as green or bunching onions. In ... Pull and store like onions.. The right way to water onions:. To water onions efficiently, extend soaker hoses along the row ... Experiment with raw onions in salads, add them to breads, toss them in soups (you cant go wrong with a French onion recipe), ...
Fried Apples 'N' Onions
Her book about Almanzo's childhood recalls some of his favorite foods, including "fried apples 'n' onions" ... FRIED APPLES N ONIONS What you will need:. 1/2 pound sliced bacon or salt pork. 6 yellow onions (2 pounds). 6 tart apples (2 ... Onions remind me of Almanzo Wilders favorite food; Fried Apples n Onions. Just another cast iron skillet favorite! ... 4. Drain all but 1 T of fat from the skillet, then add the onion slices. Cook them over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes. ...
Sticky Balsamic Roasted Onions
Here it is used to make a sweetish, sticky glaze for roast onions. Serve as a starter with lambs lettuce or rocket, or for ... Sticky Balsamic Roasted Onions. Sticky Balsamic Roasted Onions. Made in Modena, Italy, from special grapes, balsamic vinegar is ... Turn the onions over, sprinkle with the sesame seeds and cook for a further 15 minutes or until the onions are soft and sticky ... Place the onion wedges and garlic in a roasting tin, and spoon the balsamic mixture over. Turn the onions in the vinegar ...
AlliumGarlicPearl onionsThinlyYellow onionsSliceRecipeSkilletIngredientsLeeksStirSlicesTbspVegetablesPeelChopButterScallionsGrow onionsBulbsOlive oilBulbTablespoonTenderVidaliaGrowing OnionsBoilOven to 350 degreesRoastPounds2018DrainSalmonellaSweet OnionsHeatGreen onionTransplantsRecipesVarietiesTossSaladsBermudaGive onions their characteristicFlavorFrench OnioEatenVegetableShallotsCharles TalbutPlantSprinkleVinegarSize of the onionMinutes or until onionsLengthwiseCompoundsServingsRinsePeppers
- The antimicrobial properties of various extracts of Allium cepa (onions) and Zingiber officinale (ginger) against Escherichia coli, Salmonella typhi and Bacillus subtilis that are common cause of gastrointestinal tract infections were investigated using the cup-plate diffusion method. (ispub.com)
- The total polyphenol content of onion is not only higher than its fellow allium vegetables, garlic and leeks, but also higher than tomatoes, carrots, and red bell pepper. (whfoods.com)
- onion, plant of the family Liliaceae ( lily family), of the same genus ( Allium ) as the chive ( A. schoenoprasum ), garlic ( A. sativum ), leek ( A. porrum ), and shallot ( A. ascalonium ). (infoplease.com)
- Onions are perennial plants and part of the Allium family. (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Allium moschatum (onions) is a species of plant in the family Amaryllidaceae . (eol.org)
- Most types can be pulled young as green onions, but there's also a perennial bunching type called Allium fistulosum that's practically disease- and insect-proof and produces superior scallions. (goodhousekeeping.com)
- Raw or cooked, fried or powdered, onions and the rest of the allium family (garlic, shallots, leeks, and chives) are harmful to dogs. (akc.org)
- Onions are part of the allium family of vegetables and herbs, which also includes chives, garlic, scallions, and leeks. (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Medical News Today suggests onions make your eyes spring a leak when you cut into them (or, to a lesser degree, other potent-smelling members of the allium family, such as garlic , chives , scallions and leeks ) to discourage greedy predators from eating them. (mercola.com)
- Onions are members of the Allium genus of flowering plants that also includes garlic, shallots, leeks and chives. (healthline.com)
- Eating vegetables of the Allium genus like garlic and onions has been linked to a lower risk of certain cancers, including stomach and colorectal. (healthline.com)
- In Numbers 11:5, the children of Israel lament the meager desert diet enforced by the Exodus: "We remember the fish, which we did eat in Egypt freely, the cucumbers and the melons and the leeks and the onions and the garlic. (onions-usa.org)
- The four sauce ingredients in this study represented some of our very favorite foods: extra virgin olive oil, garlic, onions, and tomatoes. (whfoods.com)
- Stir in the yellow onion, red onion, and garlic, and cook 2 to 3 minutes. (allrecipes.com)
- Place the onion wedges and garlic in a roasting tin, and spoon the balsamic mixture over. (waitrose.com)
- Add the onions and garlic, and serve with warmed crusty bread. (waitrose.com)
- Caramelized Onions 2 cloves minced garlic 6 cups thinly sliced red onions 1/2 cup medium-dry red wine 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar 2 T sugar (or other sweetener that can be heated) 1 tsp. (fatfree.com)
- Onion and garlic powders are even more potent than fresh onions. (akc.org)
- ampeloprasum (leek), cepa (common onion), fistulosum (bunching onion), sativum (garlic), schoenoprasum (common chives), and tuberosum (garlic chives). (usda.gov)
- This is essentially fried onion rings and garlic aioli in futomaki sushi form, with sweet, creamy and crunchy notes all in one bite. (baltimoresun.com)
- McCormick® Total Seasoning for Beef, a blend of onion, garlic, paprika, oregano and parsley, is all you need to enhance the natural flavor of beef. (mccormick.com)
- Over the years, to the consternation of us onion lovers worldwide, Hollywood has evidently learned that garlic has more box office power than the onion. (pioneerthinking.com)
- Pearl onions are small white onions used for pickling. (infoplease.com)
- You can substitute frozen pearl onions for fresh, if you like, and skip step one. (marthastewart.com)
- In this episode, Martha walks the viewer through three onion dishes that make use of different cooking techniques: French Onion Soup, Balsamic-Glazed Pearl Onions and Fried Onion Rings. (pbs.org)
- Try this balsamic-glazed pearl onions recipe from the " Onions " episode of Martha Stewart's Cooking School . (pbs.org)
- Mild-tasting pearl onions are about the size of marbles, and frozen ones don't require peeling. (marthastewart.com)
- Peel the onions and thinly slice. (washingtonpost.com)
- We've seen a recent study showing potential growth of E. coli 0157:H7 and Salmonella enterica in diced yellow onions that were kept non-refrigerated for a period of 1 or more days. (whfoods.com)
- However, refrigeration of the chopped yellow onions (at a temperature of 39°F/4°C) was found to prevent growth of both bacteria. (whfoods.com)
- On August 1, 2020, Thomson International Inc. recalled external icon all red, yellow, white, and sweet yellow onions because they may be contaminated with Salmonella . (cdc.gov)
- Yellow onions are considered all-purpose and best for cooking. (dole.com)
- White onions are considered all-purpose similar to yellow onions with a slightly milder flavor. (dole.com)
- Finally, slice the onion widthwise and it will crumble into a fine dice. (washingtonpost.com)
- So if you're trying to remove rust from an item by this method, something with lots of rust may require more than one slice of onion. (ehow.com)
- Slice the green onions by rocking a cook's knife across them, creating slivers or lengths, according to recipe instructions. (ehow.com)
- Just imagine a plate full of fried apples 'n' onions, a slice of ham, green beans, a baked sweet potato, hot rolls and a broccoli salad. (motherearthnews.com)
- This happens if I mistakenly eat raw onion but also if I eat food prepared with implements that have been used to slice onions, food which has been near onion and 'taken on' its flavour, soup, or cheese and onion crisps. (netdoctor.co.uk)
- Return your hand to that classic cutting position and, using the full length of your knife, slice down through the onion in uniform cuts producing the size dice you want. (makezine.com)
- Slice onions and let them sit for at least 5 minutes. (whfoods.com)
- Slice onion and then crush it. (care2.com)
- My family has been using this very simple and delicious recipe for sausage, peppers, and onions for years and years now. (allrecipes.com)
- Wanna know how to saute onions to use in a recipe? (bhg.com)
- Unlike caramelized onions, sauted onions aren't brown but are just tender and flatly mellow the flavor in a recipe. (bhg.com)
- Experiment with raw onions in salads, add them to breads , toss them in soups (you can't go wrong with a French onion recipe ), or use them in casseroles . (goodhousekeeping.com)
- Although onion shortcake doesn't belong on the table with fish fillets with meringue sauce, I wanted to pass on this unusual and pleasing recipe, an adaptation of Fish Mariposa from Helen Brown's "West Coast Cook Book" (Random House, 1991). (latimes.com)
- Serve it with the biscuit recipe without the onion topping. (latimes.com)
- In the event that the onions have been consumed, please note that thoroughly cooking the product to 165ºF/74ºC, as instructed by the recipe, will kill the salmonella bacteria. (fda.gov)
- Plus, you've probably noticed that when you keep onions in the fridge next to other ingredients like herbs and vegetables, everything else tends to take on an onion-like smell - yuck! (yahoo.com)
- Onions are one of the most indispensable and flavorful ingredients you can cook with. (goodhousekeeping.com)
- However, just because there are no long lists of ingredients or complicated techniques does not mean caramelizing onions is without pitfalls. (chicagotribune.com)
- Transfer to a bowl and toss Onions with the remainig ingredients while they are still hot. (whfoods.com)
- When buying scallions, leeks and other green onions, look for springy green tops and creamy white bases. (washingtonpost.com)
- Reserve a spot in your garden for onions and their milder cousins, leeks. (almanac.com)
- Leeks are closely related to onions, but they don't have a bulb. (almanac.com)
- The cultural requirements for leeks are the same as for onions. (almanac.com)
- As with onions, leeks can be harvested when they are young, or you can leave them in the ground until frost. (almanac.com)
- Continue to cook and stir until peppers and onions are tender. (allrecipes.com)
- Lastly, stir your onions into your favorite recipes. (bhg.com)
- Stir onions once broth has evaporated so they won't stick to pan should not be burnt. (whfoods.com)
- stir onions to coat. (marthastewart.com)
- If you plan on making a salad, some kind of soup or a savory stir-fry, onions will most likely be part of the equation. (mercola.com)
- Stir in onions and mix well. (latimes.com)
- Add the flour to the onions, and stir until well blended. (metacafe.com)
- Add the onions and stir to coat. (treehugger.com)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Peel onions, cut thin slices from the top of each then place in a large saucepan. (vegweb.com)
- Divide the onions and tomatoes between individual plates, top with the tuna slices and serve. (telegraph.co.uk)
- Turn the onion so the slices you made are running left to right, and hold it down using the flat of your hand. (makezine.com)
- Remove from heat when onions become translucent, about 7 minutes, depending on the thickness of the slices. (whfoods.com)
- You can use red onion to store guacamole, too: Place some slices on top of the guac' in a plastic container. (care2.com)
- 3. Soak the onion slices in ice water. (philly.com)
- Put the onion slices directly over the fire. (philly.com)
- Surround with grilled onion slices and scatter the fresh dill mixture over the top. (philly.com)
- Serve steak slices topped with onions. (mccormick.com)
- If the balsamic marinade begins to burn while the onions are roasting, add 1-2 tbsp hot water to the tin. (waitrose.com)
- By the Middle Ages, the three main vegetables of European cuisine were beans, cabbage, and onions. (onions-usa.org)
- The onion is one of the oldest cultivated vegetables in history. (ispub.com)
- For example, on an ounce-for-ounce basis, onions rank in the top 10 of commonly eaten vegetables in their quercetin content. (whfoods.com)
- Wide rows are useful for onions and many other vegetables because you can grow much more using less space. (garden.org)
- Onions are hardy biennial vegetables that are usually grown as annuals . (howstuffworks.com)
- If you have limited space, you can grow onions between other vegetables , such as cabbages or tomatoes . (howstuffworks.com)
- Onions might be a no go, but there are lots of healthy vegetables that are perfectly safe for dogs that you can feed them instead. (akc.org)
- One extra trick: If you are dicing a lot of onions or even an assortment of vegetables, a pastry knife makes picking the finished cuts off the board quick and easy. (makezine.com)
- Onions are one of the most widely cultivated vegetables in the world. (almanac.com)
- To chop onions in the food processor, peel the onions and cut into quarters (or eighths, if the onions are large). (washingtonpost.com)
- Peel onions, leaving a little of the root ends to help hold shape during cooking. (goodhousekeeping.com)
- Peel your onion and lay each half cut side down. (bhg.com)
- 2. While the bacon is frying, peel the onions, leaving the stems to hold for slicing. (motherearthnews.com)
- Peel onions, and set aside. (marthastewart.com)
- Plunging an onion into boiling water for a few seconds before you peel it will neutralize the allyl, or you can peel it under running water to dilute the irritant-with wet hands and dry eyes. (almanac.com)
- Have you ever tried to peel a bunch of tiny little onions? (marthastewart.com)
- Peel onions, leaving them whole, and simmer for 20 minutes. (almanac.com)
- The first step in most recipes using onions is to chop them. (washingtonpost.com)
- We'll show you how to chop an onion and how to saute onions so that they're tender translucent, and ready to go into your favorite recipes. (bhg.com)
- Turn and cut crosswise into pieces and that my friends is the easiest way to chop an onion. (bhg.com)
- Chop an onion in half, and turn on your grill. (care2.com)
- This Lebanese salad can be made with scallions or green onions. (washingtonpost.com)
- Green onions and scallions are not the same. (ehow.com)
- Green onions, also called scallions, can be a great addition to a wide variety of dishes. (wikihow.com)
- If you love scallions, or green onions, plant the sets closer together and harvest these immature onions as you thin the plants. (almanac.com)
- You can grow onions from transplants, sets, or seeds. (goodhousekeeping.com)
- However, Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhi were more sensitive to the extract of onion bulbs compared to Bacillus subtilis which was predominantly resistant. (ispub.com)
- It is thought that bulbs from the onion family have been utilized as a food source for Millennia. (ispub.com)
- To stop greedy predators from eating the bulbs, onions release volatile chemicals that cause our eyes to well up. (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Always check a cultivar's day-length requirement or recommended latitudes before you buy, because day length affects how and when onions form bulbs. (goodhousekeeping.com)
- Short-day onions, such as 'Red Hamburger' , will form bulbs as soon as days reach 10 to 12 hours long. (goodhousekeeping.com)
- Generally speaking, onions grow tops in cool weather and form bulbs when the weather warms. (goodhousekeeping.com)
- Onion sets you plant in early spring will put on a lot of green top growth before they make bulbs. (garden.org)
- The size of the onion bulb is determined by how much energy there is in the top green leaves before the light conditions signal to start diverting energy to the bulbs. (garden.org)
- Early planting is important because it gives your onions plenty of time to grow tops and to store a lot of energy for the bulbs. (garden.org)
- Long-day onions will produce bulbs when grown in the summer months in the North. (howstuffworks.com)
- Short-day onions produce bulbs in the mild winter climate of the South. (howstuffworks.com)
- All varieties can be eaten as green onions, though some varieties are grown especially for their bulbs. (howstuffworks.com)
- Harvest dry onion bulbs after the leaves have dried. (howstuffworks.com)
- Long-day onions produce bulbs in the summer months in northern climates, while short-day onions prefer the cool winter months of the South. (howstuffworks.com)
- Short Day " varieties of onions work for our section of the country because the sets will start making bulbs earlier in the year when there are 10-12 hours of sunlight. (pioneerthinking.com)
- Long Day " onions are the choice of northerners because they have 14-16 hours of sun in the summer and they will have longer to produce taller plants and larger bulbs. (pioneerthinking.com)
- Onions do not require a lot of work, but they do need more fertilizer as the bulbs begin to grow. (pioneerthinking.com)
- Harvesting onions in this manner will enable the onion bulbs on the remaining plants to grow large and round. (pioneerthinking.com)
- Onion consists of its herbaceous plant part and its edible bulb part. (ispub.com)
- While similar, a green onion has a 1- to 2-inch bulb, while a scallion does not have a white bulb. (ehow.com)
- Some recipes specifically instruct you as to what part of the green onion to use, the white bulb or the green stems. (ehow.com)
- The white bulb of the green onion cooks more slowly than its green tips. (ehow.com)
- Each bulb of the multiplier or potato onion ( A. cepa Aggregatum group) multiplies into a bulb cluster. (goodhousekeeping.com)
- The Egyptian or top onion ( A. cepa Proliferum group) produces a bulb cluster at the end of a long stem with a second cluster frequently forming on top of the first. (goodhousekeeping.com)
- As a result, there won't be much energy available when nature whispers to the onion plant, "Make a bulb. (garden.org)
- Bulb -type varieties are classified as either long-day or short-day onions. (howstuffworks.com)
- Harvest green onions when the bulb is not much larger than the leaves. (howstuffworks.com)
- A perennial vegetable, onions form a bulb the first year, which happens to be quite flavorful and functions as the plant's energy store. (mercola.com)
- 2. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until onions are almost tender. (vegweb.com)
- Add 1/2 cup water and cook, stirring, 5 to 7 minutes longer, until green onions are tender and lightly browned and liquid evaporates. (redbookmag.com)
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until onions are tender and liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes (if onions are large, increase cooking time and add more water). (pbs.org)
- Use them for salads, soups or just eat the tender white onion raw. (pioneerthinking.com)
- So Vidalia Onions Are Sort of Like Ramps? (nymag.com)
- People care more about Vidalia onions than you might think. (nymag.com)
- Participating retailers in 30 states are contributing a percentage of sales from selected volumes of Vidalia onions to provide college scholarships to support future farmers and agriculture professionals. (thepacker.com)
- With a start date lagging more than a week later than last year, Georgia's Vidalia onion shipments were off to a predictably slower start early this season. (thepacker.com)
- In its third year of a Vidalia onion program, The Giumarra Cos. (thepacker.com)
- Retailers have numerous packaging options for merchandising Vidalia onions, but the product itself may be the most important marketing tool, growers and shippers say. (thepacker.com)
- Catch up on a few of the companies involved in the Vidalia sweet onion deal. (thepacker.com)
- Vidalia onions are primarily a retail item, but suppliers aren't counting out foodservice completely. (thepacker.com)
- Sweet onions come in a variety of colors from a range of growing districts, but none approach the Vidalia product, growers and marketers from the Vidalia district say. (thepacker.com)
- In Egypt, onions can be traced back to 3500 B.C. There is evidence that the Sumerians were growing onions as early as 2500 B.C. One Sumerian text dated to about 2500 B.C. tells of someone plowing over the city governor's onion patch. (onions-usa.org)
- Growing onions from seed offers the great advantage of a wide choice in cultivars. (goodhousekeeping.com)
- Learn everything you want about Growing Onions with the wikiHow Growing Onions Category. (wikihow.com)
- First, boil the onions to soften them. (neatorama.com)
- On the stovetop, boil water with onion peels in it (about 1 cup of water for the peels of 1/2 an onion. (care2.com)
- Bring to a boil, remove onion and serve. (care2.com)
- Cut an X in stem end of each onion, and when water reaches a boil, place ones in water for one minute. (pbs.org)
Oven to 350 degrees1
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place onions in a baking pan. (countryliving.com)
- Before competition, athletes would consume pounds of onions, drink onion juice, and rub onions on their bodies. (onions-usa.org)
- The happy result of a marriage between 5 pounds of onions and four hours to kill, caramelized onions cook to a deep, mahogany reddish-brown and a marmalade-like consistency. (chicagotribune.com)
- A 7-quart Dutch oven works well for 5 pounds of onions. (chicagotribune.com)
- No wonder the average American eats 20 pounds of onions a year. (dole.com)
- It is estimated that 105 billion pounds of onions are harvested each year, worldwide. (medicalnewstoday.com)
- 2018 was a good year for Texas onion supply, but not so much for prices. (thepacker.com)
- With a small knife, remove centers of onions, leaving 1/2" thick outside layer, then turn upside down and drain again. (vegweb.com)
- Drain the onions and rinse under cold water. (washingtonpost.com)
- Drain the onions, and pack into two sterilized quart canning jars. (allrecipes.com)
- Rinse the green onions thoroughly in a colander under cold, running water, and let them drain. (ehow.com)
- Drain onions in a colander, and rinse with cold water. (marthastewart.com)
- A salmonella outbreak in parts of the United States and Canada has been linked to contaminated red onions supplied by Thomson International Inc. of California, the FDA said Friday. (yahoo.com)
- It is believed the salmonella outbreak originated from consuming the contaminated onions either at home, restaurants or at residential care centers. (yahoo.com)
- CDC, public health and regulatory officials in several states, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration external icon (FDA), and Canada external icon investigated a multistate outbreak of Salmonella Newport infections linked to onions. (cdc.gov)
- HelloFresh has been informed by one of its ingredient suppliers that it is conducting a voluntary recall of its onions due to the potential presence of salmonella bacteria. (fda.gov)
- Before he was overcome and killed by the volcano's heat and fumes, Pliny the Elder cataloged the Roman beliefs about the efficacy of the onion to cure vision, induce sleep, heal mouth sores, dog bites, toothaches, dysentery, and lumbago. (onions-usa.org)
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan over a very low heat and fry the onion and bay leaf for 45 minutes, until extremely soft and caramelised. (telegraph.co.uk)
- Add the onions, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and caramelized, 45 minutes to 1 hour. (emerils.com)
- To avoid this, cook the onions in the heaviest pot you have over the lowest heat possible for much of the time, stirring as often as you can. (chicagotribune.com)
- When the onions have darkened just a bit further and you can hear them really sizzling despite the low heat, they'll be done. (chicagotribune.com)
- cook, stirring every 15 to 20 minutes, over medium heat until the onions begin to wilt, about 20 minutes. (chicagotribune.com)
- Remove cover and increase heat to medium-high and cook 2 minutes or until onions are glazed. (womansday.com)
- Cook over a medium heat until the onions are golden and the chorizo is brown in patches. (telegraph.co.uk)
- 2. In a large frying pan, heat the remaining oil over medium heat and sauté the onions. (latimes.com)
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until onions are soft, 5 to 10 minutes. (latimes.com)
- Reduce heat if the onions are browning too quickly. (treehugger.com)
- Remove any loose layers of skin, wilted leaves, brown parts and the stringy roots of the green onion with a sharp cook's knife. (ehow.com)
- Onions come in bulbing and green onion varieties, although any onion type can be eaten as a green onion. (howstuffworks.com)
- When you change out the water, you can also rinse off the green onion root sections. (wikihow.com)
- We feature many recipes on our website that include both onions and tomatoes-including frittatas, soups, salads, and entrees. (whfoods.com)
- ity chefs and recipes that tell you to caramelize onions in ten minutes. (neatorama.com)
- Sauted onions add delicious, mellow flavor to lots of recipes. (bhg.com)
- Onions are a staple in the pantry of every cook and integral to the flavor of so many recipes. (pbs.org)
- The onion ( A. cepa ), no longer found wild, is a biennial now grown in many varieties throughout the world as a table vegetable. (infoplease.com)
- Common varieties include the strong-flavored red onion, the milder yellow onion, and the bland white onion. (infoplease.com)
- Onions are a good addition to most gardens, with varieties to suit most every climate. (howstuffworks.com)
- Arrange the onions in a shallow bowl and toss with vinaigrette. (washingtonpost.com)
- Use green onions as a garnish or to add flavor to soups, salads, stews and other dishes. (ehow.com)
- When you start harvesting some small onions to eat raw or use in salads and other dishes, replace them with sets from the refrigerator. (garden.org)
- Onions add flavor to everything, from salads to casseroles to soups. (dole.com)
- Red onions are most often used in salads, salsas, and other raw preparations for their color and relatively mild flavor. (dole.com)
Give onions their characteristic1
- These give onions their characteristic taste. (medicalnewstoday.com)
- The ramp or wild leek ( A. tricoccum ) has a garlicky onion flavor. (infoplease.com)
- Green onions develop a stronger flavor with age and increased size. (ehow.com)
- If you want mild flavor, choose thinner, smaller onions. (ehow.com)
- The main one -- and it's a dish-killer -- is that caramelizing can come awfully close to burning, and once you've scorched the onions there's no way to get rid of that bitter flavor but to dump them out, wipe the pan clean and start over. (chicagotribune.com)
- Onions have been praised for their flavor and health benefits for thousands of years. (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Whatever the reason, you can blame - or thank - specific volatile chemicals for giving onions their characteristic bold flavor and fragrance. (mercola.com)
- The eye-irritating factor released by chopping onions was once thought to be "cut loose," so to speak, by the enzyme alliinase , which breaks down into flavor molecules, and in the process, some are converted to lachrymatory factor (LF) by LF synthase. (mercola.com)
- A twist on the traditional French Onion Soup - this time we ramp up the flavour with a good stout beer. (metacafe.com)
- Onions were eaten by the Israelites in the Bible. (onions-usa.org)
- Onions turn out to be a great vegetable choice for obtaining fisetin. (whfoods.com)
- Green onions should be stored in the vegetable bin in the refrigerator. (washingtonpost.com)
- This article is a part of our Vegetable Gardening Guide for Onions / Harvesting . (garden.org)
- Are you planning to add some onions to your vegetable garden? (howstuffworks.com)
- In the first instance, I would suggest products that contain onion rather than raw onion, because the vegetable is most likely to contain the strongest form of whatever you are allergic to. (netdoctor.co.uk)
- As a close relative to onions, shallots provide some of the same benefits, including anticancer, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. (mercola.com)
- While you may enjoy cooking with shallots , which possess many of the same health benefits as onions , researchers at University College London and Birkbeck, University of London, are exploring their potential to fight forms of drug-resistant TB. (mercola.com)
- Charles Talbut Onions ( C. T. Onions ) (10 September 1873 - 8 January 1965) was an English grammarian and lexicographer and the fourth editor of the Oxford English Dictionary . (wikipedia.org)
- The Welsh onion ( A. fistulosum ) is a leeklike plant popular in Asia. (infoplease.com)
- If you plant onion sets, the sets may be identified only as white, red, or yellow rather than by variety name. (goodhousekeeping.com)
- Onions like cool weather in the early part of their growth, so plant them in spring - except in mild-winter areas, where onions are grown as a fall or winter crop. (goodhousekeeping.com)
- Plant onion seeds four to six weeks before the last average frost - or even earlier indoors or in a cold frame . (goodhousekeeping.com)
- Gardeners in the mild winter areas of the Deep South can plant their sets in the fall and get a plentiful supply of fresh onions throughout the winter months. (garden.org)
- If you plant 100 onion sets three inches apart in a single row, your row will be 25 feet long. (garden.org)
- If you're planting onions from seed, plant the seeds 1/4 inch deep and thin to 1 to 2 inches apart. (howstuffworks.com)
- Learn about topics such as How to Grow an Onion from an Onion , How to Plant Sprouted Onions , How to Grow Green Onions , and more with our helpful step-by-step instructions with photos and videos. (wikihow.com)
- All parts of the onion plant are toxic to dogs, including the flesh, leaves, juice, and processed powders. (akc.org)
- Many studies have suggested that increasing consumption of plant foods like onions decreases the risk of overall mortality, diabetes , and heart disease. (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Even if the roots themselves have been trimmed off your green onions, but the root end remains, the plant will grow new roots in water. (wikihow.com)
- Like the refrigerator method, this allows the roots of the green onions to absorb water up into the plant. (wikihow.com)
- In cold-winter areas, plant onions in spring. (almanac.com)
- Onions can be raised from seeds in areas with a long growing season, but most gardeners prefer to plant onion sets-tiny onions that were started from seeds the previous season. (almanac.com)
- To grow large onions, plant the sets four to five inches apart in a row or bed. (almanac.com)
- Red onions, in particular, contain anthocyanins - special plant pigments in the flavonoid family that give red onions their deep color. (healthline.com)
- Summary Red onions are rich in anthocyanins, which are powerful plant pigments that may protect against heart disease, certain cancers and diabetes. (healthline.com)
- Next, plant the onion sets on top of that layer of soil, about four inches apart and cover them with an another inch of soil. (pioneerthinking.com)
- Turn the onions over, sprinkle with the sesame seeds and cook for a further 15 minutes or until the onions are soft and sticky and the seeds are golden. (waitrose.com)
Size of the onion1
- Depending on the size of the onion and the size of dice you want, turn your knife on its side and make one, two, or three horizontal cuts toward the root, stopping about a quarter inch short as you did before. (makezine.com)
Minutes or until onions1
- Add onions and salt and cook, stirring frequently, 3 to 4 minutes or until onions are browned all over. (womansday.com)
- Cut the onion in half lengthwise (from tip to tip). (washingtonpost.com)
- Sulphur compounds in onions have also been shown to be anti-inflammatory both by inhibiting formation of thromboxanes and by inhibiting the action of platelet-activating factor (PAF). (ispub.com)
- The authors speculated that the sulfur-compounds in the onions may have been involved in a chemical reaction (electron transfer) that helped increase the availability of the lycopene. (whfoods.com)
- Lachrymators are sulfur-based compounds found in onion juices. (washingtonpost.com)
- That's the implication of animal research published in the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry , which found that onion compounds significantly limited loss of bone minerals. (dole.com)
- But several valuable antioxidant compounds in onions, including flavonoids, polyphenols and quercetin, help enhance your health. (mercola.com)
- Onions contain antioxidants and compounds that fight inflammation, decrease triglycerides and reduce cholesterol levels - all of which may lower heart disease risk. (healthline.com)
- One study showed that consuming greater than 7 servings of onions per week was associated with a decrease in colorectal cancer. (medicalnewstoday.com)
- To reduce the potency of chopped onions for garnishing caviar or gazpacho, rinse them under cold running water. (washingtonpost.com)
- Now that you know how to properly store onions, the next time you cook french onion pot pie soup or roasted Italian sausage with peppers and onions , your meal will be even better, and you won't be chopping up soggy onions. (yahoo.com)