A plant genus of the family FABACEAE. The common name of "Bird-Of-Paradise" is also used for other plants such as Heliconia (HELICONIACEAE) and Strelitzia (STRELITZIACEAE) and some birds. The common name of "Cat's-Claw" is more often used with UNCARIA. The common name of "Pernambuco" also refers to a state in Brazil. Furanoditerpenoid lactones and caesalpin are produced by members of this genus.
A genus of snakes of the family VIPERIDAE. It is distributed in West Pakistan, most of India, Burma, Ceylon, Thailand, southeast China, Taiwan, and a few islands of Indonesia. It hisses loudly when disturbed and strikes with great force and speed. Very prolific, it gives birth to 20-60 young. This viper is the leading cause of snakebite in India and Burma. (Moore: Poisonous Snakes of the World, 1980, p127)
Malaria caused by PLASMODIUM FALCIPARUM. This is the severest form of malaria and is associated with the highest levels of parasites in the blood. This disease is characterized by irregularly recurring febrile paroxysms that in extreme cases occur with acute cerebral, renal, or gastrointestinal manifestations.
A republic of southeast Asia, northwest of Thailand, long familiar as Burma. Its capital is Yangon, formerly Rangoon. Inhabited by people of Mongolian stock and probably of Tibetan origin, by the 3d century A.D. it was settled by Hindus. The modern Burmese state was founded in the 18th century but was in conflict with the British during the 19th century. Made a crown colony of Great Britain in 1937, it was granted independence in 1947. In 1989 it became Myanmar. The name comes from myanma, meaning the strong, as applied to the Burmese people themselves. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p192 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p367)
The constant presence of diseases or infectious agents within a given geographic area or population group. It may also refer to the usual prevalence of a given disease with such area or group. It includes holoendemic and hyperendemic diseases. A holoendemic disease is one for which a high prevalent level of infection begins early in life and affects most of the child population, leading to a state of equilibrium such that the adult population shows evidence of the disease much less commonly than do children (malaria in many communities is a holoendemic disease). A hyperendemic disease is one that is constantly present at a high incidence and/or prevalence rate and affects all groups equally. (Last, A Dictionary of Epidemiology, 3d ed, p53, 78, 80)
Emigration and Immigration
The largest of the continents. It was known to the Romans more specifically as what we know today as Asia Minor. The name comes from at least two possible sources: from the Assyrian asu (to rise) or from the Sanskrit usa (dawn), both with reference to its being the land of the rising sun, i.e., eastern as opposed to Europe, to the west. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p82 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p34)
Diminished or failed response of an organism, disease or tissue to the intended effectiveness of a chemical or drug. It should be differentiated from DRUG TOLERANCE which is the progressive diminution of the susceptibility of a human or animal to the effects of a drug, as a result of continued administration.
A protozoan disease caused in humans by four species of the PLASMODIUM genus: PLASMODIUM FALCIPARUM; PLASMODIUM VIVAX; PLASMODIUM OVALE; and PLASMODIUM MALARIAE; and transmitted by the bite of an infected female mosquito of the genus ANOPHELES. Malaria is endemic in parts of Asia, Africa, Central and South America, Oceania, and certain Caribbean islands. It is characterized by extreme exhaustion associated with paroxysms of high FEVER; SWEATING; shaking CHILLS; and ANEMIA. Malaria in ANIMALS is caused by other species of plasmodia.
Sequence Analysis, DNA
Polymerase Chain Reaction
In vitro method for producing large amounts of specific DNA or RNA fragments of defined length and sequence from small amounts of short oligonucleotide flanking sequences (primers). The essential steps include thermal denaturation of the double-stranded target molecules, annealing of the primers to their complementary sequences, and extension of the annealed primers by enzymatic synthesis with DNA polymerase. The reaction is efficient, specific, and extremely sensitive. Uses for the reaction include disease diagnosis, detection of difficult-to-isolate pathogens, mutation analysis, genetic testing, DNA sequencing, and analyzing evolutionary relationships.
Molecular Sequence Data
Descriptions of specific amino acid, carbohydrate, or nucleotide sequences which have appeared in the published literature and/or are deposited in and maintained by databanks such as GENBANK, European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), National Biomedical Research Foundation (NBRF), or other sequence repositories.
A family of snakes comprising the boas, anacondas, and pythons. They occupy a variety of habitats through the tropics and subtropics and are arboreal, aquatic or fossorial (burrowing). Some are oviparous, others ovoviviparous. Contrary to popular opinion, they do not crush the bones of their victims: their coils exert enough pressure to stop a prey's breathing, thus suffocating it. There are five subfamilies: Boinae, Bolyerinae, Erycinae, Pythoninae, and Tropidophiinae. (Goin, Goin, and Zug, Introduction to Herpetology, 3d ed, p315-320)
Identification of a novel genotype of hepatitis G virus in Southeast Asia. (1/287)Hepatitis G virus (HGV) isolates obtained from 20 Myanmarese and 10 Vietnamese subjects were analyzed. A cluster of isolates not belonging to any known genotype of HGV was found in five Myanmarese subjects and three Vietnamese subjects by phylogenetic analysis, and we classified this new genotype as type 4. These results revealed that the HGV genome can be classified into at least four major genotypes. (+info)
Multicentric origin of hemochromatosis gene (HFE) mutations. (2/287)Genetic hemochromatosis (GH) is believed to be a disease restricted to those of European ancestry. In northwestern Europe, >80% of GH patients are homozygous for one mutation, the substitution of tyrosine for cysteine at position 282 (C282Y) in the unprocessed protein. In a proportion of GH patients, two mutations are present, C282Y and H63D. The clinical significance of this second mutation is such that it appears to predispose 1%-2% of compound heterozygotes to expression of the disease. The distribution of the two mutations differ, C282Y being limited to those of northwestern European ancestry and H63D being found at allele frequencies>5%, in Europe, in countries bordering the Mediterranean, in the Middle East, and in the Indian subcontinent. The C282Y mutation occurs on a haplotype that extends +info)
Response of falciparum malaria to different antimalarials in Myanmar. (3/287)The purpose of the study was to ascertain the therapeutic efficacy of different treatments for uncomplicated falciparum malaria in the hospitals in Sagaing, northern and eastern Shan, to facilitate updating the existing national antimalarial drug policy. The proposed 14-day trial for monitoring the efficacy of treatments of uncomplicated falciparum malaria is an efficient method for identifying treatment failure patterns at the intermediate level (township hospital) in the Union of Myanmar. Minimal clinical and parasitological data for days 0-14 were required to classify treatment failure and success. Clinical and parasitiological responses on day 3 and days 4-14 were used as clear examples of early and late treatment failure, respectively. Mefloquine is five times more likely to be effective than chloroquine and sulfadoxine pyrimethamine (S-P), whereas chloroquine and S-P treatments have nearly identical failure patterns. The alarming frequency of clinical and parasitological failure (failure rate > 50%) following chloroquine treatment was reported in Sagaing and following S-P treatment in Sagaing and eastern Shan. (+info)
Local evaluation of a rapid HIV assay for use in developing countries. (4/287)We present a research scheme for evaluating inexpensive HIV rapid tests in a developing country setting and assess the field validity of the Sero Strip HIV 1/2 rapid test. The research design features the random allocation of 100 true HIV-positive and 100 true HIV-negative serum specimens to 4 groups, followed by blind testing for HIV status. After one short training session, laboratory technicians at 4 township hospitals (25-35 beds) located 20-50 km from Yangon, Myanmar were sent 800 sera labelled with only an identification number and divided into four groups of 200 specimens each, half being HIV-positive and half HIV-negative. Testing was done in the field with the Sero-Strip HIV 1/2. Determination of the test's validity was based on 399 true HIV positive and 401 true HIV negative sera. All true positives were correctly identified, as were all but two of the true negatives. The sensitivity (% of true positives that test positive) was 100%, and the specificity (% of true negatives that test negative) was 99.5%. The research was completed by in-country scientists who are best suited to evaluate the validity of HIV tests conducted in local environments. (+info)
Hospital-based study of severe malaria and associated deaths in Myanmar. (5/287)The present study identifies factors that contribute to malaria deaths in township hospitals reporting large numbers of such deaths in Myanmar. Between July and December 1995, we identified a total of 101 patients with severe and complicated malaria by screening the cases admitted to hospital with a primary diagnosis of falciparum malaria. Unrousable coma and less marked impairment of consciousness with or without other severe malaria complications, in contrast to severe malaria anaemia, were associated with all malaria deaths. Adult patients with severe malaria were 2.8 times more likely to die than child patients, with the higher risk of death among adults probably being associated with previous exposure to malaria, delay in seeking treatment and severity of the illness before admission. In view of this, we consider that malaria mortality could be reduced by improving peripheral facilities for the management of severe malaria and providing appropriate education to communities, without stepping up vector control activities. (+info)
Field trials of a rapid test for G6PD deficiency in combination with a rapid diagnosis of malaria. (6/287)A rapid single-step screening method for detection of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6 PD) deficiency was evaluated on Halmahera Island, Maluku Province, Indonesia, and in Shan and Mon States, Myanmar, in combination with a rapid diagnosis of malaria by an acridine orange staining method. Severe deficiency was detected by the rapid test in 45 of 1126 volunteers in Indonesia and 54 of 1079 in Myanmar, but it was difficult to distinguish blood samples with mild deficiency from those with normal activity. 89 of 99 severely deficient cases were later confirmed by formazan ring method in the laboratory, but 5 with mild and 5 with no deficiency were misdiagnosed as severe. Of the samples diagnosed as mild and no deficiency on-site, none was found to be severely deficient by the formazan method. Malaria patients were simultaenously++ detected on-site in 273 samples on Halmahera island and 277 samples from Shan and Mon States. In Mon State, primaquine was prescribed safely to G6 PD-normal malaria patients infected with Plasmodium vivax and/or gametocytes of P. falciparum. The new rapid test for G6 PD deficiency may be useful for detecting severe cases under field conditions, and both rapid tests combined are can be useful in malaria-endemic areas, facilitating early diagnosis, prompt and radical treatment of malaria and suppression of malaria transmission. (+info)
Melioidosis with adrenal gland abscess. (7/287)We report a case of melioidosis with left adrenal gland abscess in a 51-year-old man from Taiwan who traveled to Rangoon, Burma for a four-day tour on July 15, 1997. The patient developed fever and left upper abdominal pain upon returning to Taiwan on July 19, 1997. Ten days after returning to Taiwan, he was admitted to Chang Gung Memorial Hospital in Keelung, Taiwan and blood culture on admission was positive for Burkholderia pseudomallei. Computerized tomography of the abdomen revealed left adrenal gland swelling and suppuration. Treatment with parenteral ceftazidime and cotrimoxazole for three weeks followed by two months of oral cotrimoxazole cured the infection. The patient remained asymptomatic at 12 months follow-up. (+info)
A new primate from the Middle Eocene of Myanmar and the Asian early origin of anthropoids. (8/287)A new genus and species of anthropoid primate, Bahinia pondaungensis gen. et sp. nov., is described from the Yashe Kyitchaung locality in the Late Middle Eocene Pondaung Formation (Myanmar). It is related to Eosimias, but it is represented by more complete remains, including upper dentition with associated lower jaw fragment. It is interpreted as a new representative of the family Eosimiidae, which corresponds to the sister group of the Amphipithecidae and of all other anthropoids. Eosimiidae are now recorded from three distinct Middle Eocene localities in Asia, giving support to the hypothesis of an Asian origin of anthropoids. (+info)
WELCOME TO OUR UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE - 1 YANGON
Types of disabilities treated are neurological rehabilitation; stroke, TBI, parkisonism, motor neurone diseases, transverse myelitis, peripheral neuropathy, facial palsy etc, fracture Rehabilitation, spinal cord injury rehabilitation, non-traumatic paraplegia and quadriplegia, musculoskeletal pain, cardiopulmonary rehabilitation, rheumatological rehabilitation including Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA), osteoarthritis, Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS), gouty arthritis, SLE ,Systemic Sclerosis,etc, leprosy rehabilitation and other skin diseases,rehabilitation of burn and ICU patients, obstetrics and gynaecological rehabilitation, cancer rehabilitation, osteoporosis and Community Based Rehabilitation (CBR).. Other hospitals which are collaborated with the department are National Rehabilitation Hospital (NRH), Yangon Orthopedic Hospital (YOH), New Yangon General Hospital (NYGH), Yangon Children Hospital (YCH), North Okkalapa General Hospital (NOGH), East Yangon General Hospital, West Yangon General Hospital, ...
Co-infections with Babesia microti and Plasmodium parasites along the China-Myanmar border | Infectious Diseases of Poverty |...
Babesiosis is an emerging health risk in several parts of the world. However, little is known about the prevalence of Babesia in malaria-endemic countries. The area along the China-Myanmar border in Yunnan is a main endemic area of malaria in P.R. China, however, human infection with Babesia microti (B. microti) is not recognized in this region, and its profile of co-infection is not yet clear. To understand its profile of co-infections with B. microti, our investigation was undertaken in the malaria-endemic area along the China-Myanmar border in Yunnan between April 2012 and June 2013. Four parasite species, including B. microti, Plasmodium falciparum (P. falciparum), P. vivax, and P. malariae, were identified among 449 suspected febrile persons detected by nested polymerase chain reaction (PCR) assay based on small subunit ribosomal ribonucleic acid (RNA) genes of B. microti and Plasmodium spp. Of all the collected samples from febrile patients, mono-infection with B. microti, P. vivax, P. falciparum,
Welcome to CDC stacks | Transmission Risk from Imported Plasmodium vivax Malaria in the China-Myanmar Border Region - 34718 |...
Malaria importation and local vector susceptibility to imported Plasmodium vivax infection are a continuing risk along the China-Myanmar border. Malaria transmission has been prevented in 3 border villages in Tengchong County, Yunnan Province, China, by use of active fever surveillance, integrated vector control measures, and intensified surveillance and response ...
Clinical Malaria along the China-Myanmar Border, Yunnan Province, China, January 2011-August 2012 - Volume 20, Number 4-April...
Passive surveillance for malaria cases was conducted in Yunnan Province, China, along the China-Myanmar border. Infection with Plasmodium vivax and P. falciparum protozoa accounted for 69% and 28% of the cases, respectively. Most patients were adult men. Cross-border travel into Myanmar was a key risk factor for P. falciparum malaria in China.
WELCOME TO OUR UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE - 1 YANGON
Medical Education research projects Perception of 3rd MBBS 7/ 2016 students for the traditional lecture and 2 new learning environments in University of Medicine 1, Yangon , Diagnostic measurement of the educational environment for undergraduate students of University Medicine(1), Yangon, Myanmar using Dundee Ready Education Environment(DREEM) and Myanmar-Korea Medical Education collaboration: General Practitioners perception of clinical and procedural needs for undergraduate students of University of Medicine 1, Yangon, Myanmar have done in collaboration with Seoul National University College of Medicine, Republic of Korea in 2014-2015 ...
Population dynamics and community structure of Anopheles mosquitoes along the China-Myanmar border.
Author(s): Wang, Ying; Zhong, Daibin; Cui, Liwang; Lee, Ming-Chieh; Yang, Zhaoqing; Yan, Guiyun; Zhou, Guofa | Abstract: Understanding the ecology of malaria vectors such as species composition and population dynamics is essential for developing cost-effective strategies to control mosquito vector populations.Adult mosquitoes (n = 79,567) were collected in five villages along the China-Myanmar border from April 2012 to September 2014 using the CDC light trap without bait method. Mosquito community structure, Anopheles species composition and diversity were analyzed.Twenty species of Anopheles mosquitoes were identified, with An. minimus s.l. accounting for 85% of the total collections. Mosquito densities varied from 0.05 females per trap per night (f/t/n) to 3.00 f/t/n, with strong seasonality in all sites and densities peaked from June to August. An. minimus s.l. was predominant (accounting for 54-91% of total captures) in four villages, An. maculatus s.l. was predominant (71%) in the high elevation
Respiratory virus surveillance in hospitalised pneumonia patients on the Thailand-Myanmar border | BMC Infectious Diseases |...
Pneumonia is a significant cause of morbidity and mortality in the developing world. Viruses contribute significantly to pneumonia burden, although data for low-income and tropical countries are scarce. The aim of this laboratory-enhanced, hospital-based surveillance was to characterise the epidemiology of respiratory virus infections among refugees living on the Thailand-Myanmar border. Maela camp provides shelter for ~45,000 refugees. Inside the camp, a humanitarian organisation provides free hospital care in a 158-bed inpatient department (IPD). Between 1st April 2009 and 30th September 2011, all patients admitted to the IPD with a clinical diagnosis of pneumonia were invited to participate. Clinical symptoms and signs were recorded and a nasopharyngeal aspirate (NPA) collected. NPAs were tested for adenoviruses, human metapneumovirus (hMPV), influenza A & B, and RSV by PCR. Seven hundred eight patient episodes (698 patients) diagnosed as pneumonia during the enhanced surveillance period were
In Vitro Sensitivity of Plasmodium falciparum Clinical Isolates from the China-Myanmar Border Area to Quinine and Association...
QN has been used to treat malaria for centuries, and development of resistance in P. falciparum is slow. However, a decrease in efficacy and emergence of clinical resistance in P. falciparum in some areas of endemicity have been observed (12, 26). In Thailand, QN was used extensively in the 1980s due to the spread of parasites resistant to CQ and antifolates (32). Although QN remains an effective treatment for severe MDR falciparum malaria in this area, there is evidence of a decline in its therapeutic response (26). In Chinas Yunnan province and bordering malarious regions, in vitro drug resistance surveys have also detected reduced QN responses in P. falciparum (48, 49). Further, there are significant geographical variations in in vitro QN responses reported: parasites from western Yunnan bordering Myanmar (IC50, 608 nM) exhibited much lower QN susceptibility than parasites from southern Yunnan (480 nM) and southeastern Yunnan (352 nM) (47). This appears to agree with the malaria epidemiology ...
Trends and birth outcomes in adolescent refugees and migrants on the Thailand-Myanmar border, 1986-2016: an observational study...
Background: Currently there are more adolescents (10-19 years old) and young adults (20-24 years old) than ever. Reproductive health among this age group is often overlooked, although it can have a profound impact on the future. This is especially the case in conflict zones and refugee settings, where there is a heightened need for reproductive health care, and where both the resources and possibility for data collation are usually limited. Methods: Here we report on pregnancies, birth outcomes and risk factors for repeat pregnancies among adolescent and young adult refugees and migrants from antenatal clinics on the Thailand-Myanmar border across a 30 year time span. Results: Pregnancy and fertility rates were persistently high. Compared with 20-24-year-olds, 15-19-year-olds who reported being unable to read had 2.35 (CI: 1.97 - 2.81) times the odds for repeat pregnancy (gravidity |2). In primigravidae, the proportion of small for gestational age (SGA) and preterm births (PTB), and neonatal deaths (NND
Aeromonas spp. Bacteremia in Pregnant Women, Thailand-Myanmar Border, 2011. | Refugee Health TA
In the Literature: Aeromonas spp. Bacteremia in Pregnant Women, Thailand-Myanmar Border, 2011. Turner P, Willemse C, Phakaudom K, Zin TW, Nosten F, McGready R. (2012). Emerging Infectious Diseases.. ...
Two more H1N1 in Myanmar - Today in Myanmar
When the first H1N1 was announced, many people in Yangon wore face masks resulting in the sky rocketing of masks prices in Yangon. However, less and less people are wearing masks in the streets of Yangon, according to one resident of Yangon.. In another Xinhua news, Myanmar health authorities have tightened measures against H1N1 influenza in Yangon. Health screening and surveillance groups were formed in each township in Yangon to do the ten-day follow up of people coming back from abroad and those close contacts with confirmed patients. More than 15,000 individuals have been followed up so far, according to the news report. Of these, 6,184 had been cleared of the disease while 8,825 are still under surveillance, according to health authorities. More than 49 has undergone laboratory testing for H1N1 so far.. There are currently no death in Myanmar due to H1N1 influenza infection.. ...
New Yangon city construction caters to Myanmars growing urban population | Myanmar 2019 | Oxford Business Group
Questions remain about the current plans, particularly in relation to the feasibility of financing such a vast project, but stakeholders say the project is necessary to take the pressure off highly populated downtown Yangon.. We need to relieve Yangons burden to boost the economy and to improve the living standards of citizens, Khine told OBG. It is an industrial-based project that will help create employment and business opportunities for local people, she said, adding that planners were keen to learn from previous projects.. Though NYDC is wholly owned by the Yangon regional government, the bulk - if not all - of the funding for the new city is expected to come from the private sector under a public-private partnership model, with private firms to make significant equity investments.. While reliance on private sector funding makes sense given the relatively limited spending power of the national and regional governments, it will be a challenge for NYDC to convince private companies to ...
University of Medicine, Mandalay - Wikipedia
The University of Medicine, Mandalay began as a Branch Medical Faculty (BMF) of Yangon University in 1954, which in 1958 became the Faculty of Medicine, Mandalay. In 1964, it became an independent Institute of Medicine, Mandalay, offering an undergraduate M.B., B.S. program to a class of 36 students. Graduate programs began in 1968 with a masters degree program in physiology. The formal name, Institute of Medicine, Mandalay, was changed in 2005 as the University of Medicine, Mandalay. Today the University now offers a number of graduate diploma, masters, and doctoral programs. The departments were established in phases: ...
Estimating Gestational Age in Late Presenters to Antenatal Care in a Resource-Limited Setting on the Thai-Myanmar Border. -...
Estimating gestational age in resource-limited settings is prone to considerable inaccuracy because crown-rump length measured by ultrasound before 14 weeks gestation, the recommended method for estimating gestational age, is often unavailable. Judgements regarding provision of appropriate obstetric and neonatal care are dependent on accurate estimation of gestational age. We determined the accuracy of the Dubowitz Gestational Age Assessment, a population-specific symphysis-fundal height formula, and ultrasound biometry performed between 16 and 40 weeks gestation in estimating gestational age using pre-existing data from antenatal clinics of the Shoklo Malaria Research Unit on the Thai-Myanmar border, where malaria is endemic. Two cohorts of women who gave birth to live singletons were analysed: 1) 250 women who attended antenatal care between July 2001 and May 2006 and had both ultrasound crown-rump length (reference) and a Dubowitz Gestational Age Assessment; 2) 975 women attending antenatal care
UNICEF Myanmar - Media centre - Public Buses, taxicabs and trishaws highlight child survival and development in Myanmar
YANGON - 22 November 2013 - Today UNICEF in collaboration with the Ministry of Health, WHO, UNFPA and UNAIDS launched a life-saving campaign for children using the system in Yangon for the first time ever. Public buses, private taxicabs and trishaws will carry messages on key family and community practices through colourful, attractive printed panels on the vehicles.. Use of Outdoor media such as billboard and signage is not new but it is first time the transit media is being engaged to carry developmental messages. There are three buses, ten taxi, 280 trishaws and 44 billboards to disseminate public health messages in 22 townships including Yangon, Mandalay, Nay Pyi Taw, Sittwe, Mrauk U. The initial project timeline is one year and based on the assessment we need to scale it up, said Mr Bertrand Bainvel, UNICEF Representative at the launching ceremony held in Yangon.. The messages displayed on buses and taxicabs are 1) Breast milk is best: feed your baby only breast milk and no water until ...
Workload of Myanmar ports doubles in last decade
The workload of Yangon Port in Myanmar has doubled in the last ten years, according to Myanma Port Authority (MPA).. The amount of workload during the fiscal year of 2003/4, when compared to 2012/3, has doubled. MPA has also invited private businesses to cooperate in upgrading Port of Yangon, the main port. Workload of Yangon ports has doubled in last decade, said Mya Than, the chief engineer for MPA.. Their general cargo handling reached 24,168 metric tons in the fiscal year (2013-14), more than a double rise from 9,800 metric tons in the fiscal year (2003-04). And their container handling also reached more than 6,000 metric tons in the fiscal year (2013-14), from just around 2,600 metric tons in the fiscal year (2003-04).. The Port is the premier port of Myanmar and handled about 85 % of the countrys exports and imports.. The Yangon Port is accessible to vessels of up to 15000 DWT.. It has four main terminals, such as Bo Aung Kyaw, Myanmar Industrial, Asia World, and : Myanmar International ...
Urban-rural differences in the prevalence of non-communicable diseases risk factors among 25-74 years old citizens in Yangon...
Recent societal and political reforms in Myanmar may upturn the socio-economy and, thus, contribute to the countrys health transition. Baseline data on urban-rural disparities in non-communicable disease (NCD) risk factors are not thoroughly described in this country which has been relatively closed for more than five decades. We aim to investigate urban-rural differences in mean values and the prevalence of selected behavioral and metabolic risk factors for non-communicable diseases and 10-years risk in development of coronary heart diseases (CHD). Two cross-sectional studies were conducted in urban and rural areas of Yangon Region in 2013 and 2014 respectively, using the WHO STEPwise approach to surveillance of risk factors of NCDs. Through a multi-stage cluster sampling method, 1486 participants were recruited. Age-standardized prevalence of the behavioral risk factors tended to be higher in the rural than urban areas for all included factors and significantly higher for alcohol drinking (19.9% vs.
National League for Democracy supporters celebrate in Yangon - Orlando Sentinel
National League for Democracy supporters gather outside party headquarters in Yangon to celebrate the NLD's victory in Myanmar's parliamentary elections. The party said Nobel Peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi had won a parliamentary seat. Suu Kyi said the byelections in Myanmar would not be completely...
Prices of condo apartments fall by 20-30 % in Yangon market: real estate agents
U Nay Min Thu, managing director of iMyanmarHouse.com, a property website, said the commercial city of Yangon saw a 20 to 30 per cent decline in the prices of condominium apartments in comparison to 2013, according to a report of the Myawady Daily issued on Saturday.. Now the countrys property sector is facing a market downturn. The citys real estate market remains cool and sees a low demand for housing and condominium apartments. However, demand continues to grow in the rental market, one of the citys real estate agents. Property markets in downtown are also seeing excess supply, he added.. Property agents say that the emergence of bylaws for the condominium Law in December is expected to become a push for the falling real estate market.. U Min Htain, director-general of the Urban and Housing Development Department, said the construction of Yadanar and Ayeyarwon housing projects being developed by the Ministry of Construction faces a delay due to the cooling market.. The property market ...
Heart Surgery In Mandalay, Heart Surgery Hospital Cost Mandalay
Know the cost of Heart Surgery in Mandalay. HEALGURU INDIA is associated with best Heart Surgery Hospital in Mandalay and top surgeons in Mandalay. Book your appointment now
The Economics of Human Trafficking
Trafficking of Kachin women and children is emerging as a serious crisis. Kachin Womens Association Thailands latest report, Pushed To The Brink (June 2013), updates on trafficking of Kachin women and girls amidst renewed conflict in the region. Migration, displacement, and lack of aid have increased womens vulnerability to trafficking along the China-Myanmar border. Victims are sold as bonded laborers and brides, or to brothels and massage parlors in China. Thailands sex-industry is another destination. Children abducted to Thailand are forced to work as beggars and street-hawkers or to supply its child prostitution industry.. What are the catalysts to the trafficking scenario of the Kachin? What are the economics of trafficking dictating the issue?. Factors Fuelling Trafficking of the Kachin. Poor governance lies at the heart of increased vulnerability to the trafficking crisis. Victims include hundreds of displaced Kachins fleeing conflict between the Kachin Independence Organization ...
LBB12016. Yangon (Myanmar), 11/12/2017.- Myanmar State Counsellor and Foreign Minister Aung San Suu Kyi delivers a speech at the opening ceremony of the third Asia-Pacific Water Summit (APWS) in Yangon, Myanmar, 11 December 2017. The event, which gathers leaders from the Asia-Pacific region to develop and encourage collaboration in water resources management, runs from 11 to 12 December 2017 in Yangon. (Birmania) EFE/EPA/LYNN BO ...
Myanmar (02): (Yangon, Mandalay, Mon) serotypes A & O, cattle, OIE | Reference Laboratory for Foot-and-Mouth Disease
In October 2019, Myanmar reported 13 outbreaks of FMDV serotype O. The outbreaks occurred in Sagaing (10) and Magway (2) regions and Shan state (1). Details of this event and an updated map can be seen at https://www.oie.int/wahis_2/public/wahid.php/Reviewreport/Review/viewsummary?reportid=32376 ...
Myanmar News, Burmese News, Yangon News, latest update news, သစ္ထူးလြင္, thithtoolwin, ေန႔စဥ္သတင္း
Myanmar News, Burmese News, Yangon News, latest update news, သစ္ထူးလြင္, thithtoolwin, ေန႔စဥ္သတင္း
Best of Myanmar - 10 Days Tours to Yango, Bagan, Mandalay & Inle Lake
Take a 10-day Myanmar tour and appreciate the best of Myanmar has to offer, from capital Yangon, stupa-filled Bagan, ancient Mandalay to the vivid Inle Lake.
UN condemns lethal crackdown on Myanmar protests as mourners bury first victim
A lethal attack on anti-coup protesters in Myanmar sparked fresh UN condemnation of the countrys new military regime on Sunday, as mourners held a funeral for a young woman who has become a national symbol of resistance to the junta. Authorities have gradually ratcheted up their tactics against a massive and largely peaceful civil disobedience campaign demanding the return of ousted civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi.Saturday marked the deadliest day so far in more than two weeks of nationwide street demonstrations after two people were killed when security forces fired upon a rally in Mandalay, while a third man was shot dead in Yangon.As dusk fell Sunday in Yangon, Monywa and Myitkyina, protesters held candlelight vigils and prayer ceremonies to pay tribute to the dead.United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres condemned the use of
The Korea Times - DARKROOM
A person mourns as he attends prayers for Tin Nwe Yi, a teacher who was killed during a crackdown on anti-coup protesters in Yangon, Myanmar, 01 March 2021. Several people were killed and many injured on 28 February as Myanmar security forces cracked down on anti-coup protesters following weeks of unrest since the 01 February military coup. EPA Demonstrators hold placards calling for the released of detained civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi during a protest against the military coup in Mandalay, Myanmar, 28 February 2021. Security forces intensified their use of force to crack down on anti-coup demonstrations following weeks of unrest since the 01 February military coup. EPA A woman holding an umbrella looks at riot police as they stand guard on a street during a protest against the military coup, in Yangon, Myanmar, 27 February 2021. Anti-coup demonstrations continued despite intensifying use of force by security forces against protesters after weeks of unrest since the 01 February military coup. EPA
Spatiotemporal epidemiology, environmental correlates, and demography of malaria in Tak Province, Thailand (2012-2015). - MORU...
BACKGROUND:Tak Province, at the Thai-Myanmar border, is one of three high malaria incidence areas in Thailand. This study aimed to describe and identify possible factors driving the spatiotemporal trends of disease incidence from 2012 to 2015. METHODS:Climate variables and forest cover were correlated with malaria incidence using Pearsons r. Statistically significant clusters of high (hot spots) and low (cold spots) annual parasite incidence per 1000 population (API) were identified using Getis-Ord Gi* statistic. RESULTS:The total number of confirmed cases declined by 76% from 2012 to 2015 (Plasmodium falciparum by 81%, Plasmodium vivax by 73%). Incidence was highly seasonal with two main annual peaks. Most cases were male (62.75%), ≥ 15 years (56.07%), and of Myanmar (56.64%) or Thai (39.25%) nationality. Median temperature (1- and 2-month lags), average temperature (1- and 2-month lags) and average relative humidity (2- and 3-month lags) correlated positively with monthly total, P. falciparum and P
Burma Dhamma: January 2016
U Goenka (104) Shwe Lan updates (74) Webu Sayadaw (63) foreign monks (61) Pariyatti yatra (59) pilgrimage (58) videos (56) Ledi Sayadaw (53) Ingyinbin (46) Sayagyi U Ba Khin (41) Shwe Oo Min Monastery (41) Mandalay (39) nuns (36) Sagaing (34) U Goenka remains (31) Burmese food (29) Saya Thet Gyi (29) Sagaing Hills (26) Yangon (26) U Sarana (25) Monywa (24) Sangha Dana (24) Thailand (21) Pa Auk (20) Pindapat (20) Pyin Oo Lwin (20) U Mandala (20) U Tejaniya (20) relics (20) Kalaw (19) Bhante Agga (18) Burmese culture (18) Kory Goldberg (18) Dhamma Joti (17) Mogok Monastery (16) Sitagu Academy (16) Anthology of a Noble One (14) Hmawbi (14) Ingyinbin Journal (14) Pyaw Bwe Gyi (14) ordination (14) Soul of a People (13) Ayeyarwaddy (13) Shan State (13) Shwedagon Pagoda (13) caves (13) dana (13) dogs (13) Burmese proverbs (12) Maha Gandayone (12) Mexico (12) Monastery (12) Sri Lanka (12) World War II (12) Bhikkhu Obhasa (11) IMC (11) Kyaukse (11) Sayadaw U Nyanissara (11) Shwebo (11) metta (11) Ma ...
Myanmar forces arrest comedian, break up doctors protest - WBOY.com
YANGON, Myanmar (AP) - Authorities in Myanmar arrested the countrys best-known comedian on Tuesday as they continue to crack down on people they accuse of helping incite nationwide protests against Februarys military coup.. The comedian Zarganar was taken from his home in Yangon by police and soldiers who arrived in two army vehicles, fellow comedian Ngepyawkyaw said on his own Facebook page. Zarganar, 60, is a sharp-tongued satirist who has been in and out of prison since he was active in a failed 1988 popular uprising against a previous military dictatorship. He is also well known for his social work, especially arranging assistance for victims of Cyclone Nargis in 2008.. In the past week, the junta has issued arrest warrants for about 100 people active in the fields of literature, film, theater arts, music and journalism on charges of spreading information that undermines the stability of the country and the rule of law. It was not immediately clear what Zarganar, whose real name is Maung ...
International Trade Centre Geneva of United Nation workshop on Sector Association at Yangon, Myanmar.28-29 Nov 2019 - Solvent...
Casualty of US-China Trade war, ship holding $20 m worth of Soybean is stranded off the China coast, for CNBCs-TV1… twitter.com/i/web/status/10278…. ...
Carter Center Statement on Myanmars 2017 By-Elections
In Yangon, Stefan Krause, [email protected] YANGON - The Carter Center congratulates the people of Myanmar for participating in important by-elections on April 1. The Center did not directly observe the elections, but supported the observation efforts of local partner Election Education and Observation Partners (EEOP).. In its post-election preliminary statement, EEOP reported that the election-day process was conducted without major problems. Observers assessed the opening, voting, and closing and counting process as overwhelmingly positive, although they noted some problems, mostly of a procedural nature.. Prior to the election, EEOP reported that the campaign environment was peaceful and that contestants could campaign freely. Cases of misuse of administrative resources and of vote-buying were rare. EEOP noted that the organization of the elections was somewhat improved and that voters confidence in the Union Election Commission (UEC) had increased significantly. Among voters ...
Difference between revisions of Yangon - Wikitravel
Take note that Yangons former name is not the only victim of symbolic changes in this country. For one, the countrys name has been changed. To add up to this identity crisis going on in this country, this city has been stripped of its capital status, the capital relocated to a secluded new site called Naypyidaw built from scratch. The flag too has been changed, recently redesigned in 2010, replacing the old one which replaced another one slightly more than a decade ago.
Orville Biotek | Pharma Franchise Business | Pharma.Buiz.in
Orville Biotek is Allopathic Pharma Franchise company offering Pharma Franchise Business, Third Party Manufacturing, Allopathic Pharma Franchise, Nutraceutical Range, Gynae Pharma Franchise, Ortho Products Frenchise, Dental Products Franchise, Neuro Psychiatry Franchise, Allopathic Pharma Franchise, Business Opportunities, Manufacturing Facilities, Pediatric Range Franchise, Allopathic Drug Manufacturing,
Online Burma Library | Main Library | Health
The Burmese Border Guidelines are clinical guidelines designed to assist medics and health workers practising along the Thai-Burmese border. They are adapted from the medical literature and treatment guidelines of WHO and some NGOs to specifically address the pathologies and constraints of the Burmese Border context. Every effort has been made to incorporate the experiences of local medics and the medical providers who have been working in the refugee camps and communities on the border for the last 15 years... ...
Franchise Opportunities at FindAFranchise.com
Search franchises and find franchise information and business opportunities for sale. Learn how to buy a franchise, find franchise costs & franchise fees, and other franchise info. Find franchise business opportunities at www.findafranchise.com
Stories | WFP | United Nations World Food Programme - Fighting Hunger Worldwide
Cyclone Nargis swept across southern Myanmar on the evening of 2 May, leaving a trail of death and destruction before tapering off the next day. The winds and tidal surge caused by the cyclone damaged much of the fertile Ayeyarwady delta, and Yangon, the nations main city and former capital.. ...
The Burmese juntas habit of awarding lucrative contracts to regime-connected companies has been blamed for the ongoing failure of efforts to improve Rangoons access to electricity. Officials said that a plan to build a pipeline from the Gulf of Martaban to Burmas former capital was stalled due to quality-control issues. The pipeline project, worth an estimated US $500 million, is being carried out by IGE Co Ltd, run by Nay Aung and Pyi Aung, sons of Minister of Industry 1 Aung Thaung. IGE is a major supplier of substation and transmission line materials, oil and gas and CNG filling stations. With an election coming later this year, the regime had promised to increase Rangoons power supply by the end of April. Minister of Energy Lun Thi pushed IGE to conclude the pipeline project one month ahead of its original deadline. Now accused of shoddy quality control in its work on the project, IGE has blamed Lun Thi for the problems it faces ...
All Burma Students Democratic Front - Wikipedia
The All Burma Students Democratic Front (Burmese: မြန်မာနိုင်ငံလုံးဆိုင်ရာကျောင်းသားများဒီမိုကရက်တစ်တပ်ဦး; abbreviated ABSDF) is an opposition group in Myanmar (also known as Burma). It was founded on 1 November 1988, after the 8888 protests in Yangon. The groups leadership consists mostly of former student exiles. The ABSDF operates an armed wing, which has fought alongside other armed opposition groups in Myanmar, such as the Kachin Independence Army and the Karen National Liberation Army. The objective of the group is to free the people of Myanmar from the oppression of the military, to create a democracy with political freedom and respect for human rights, to obtain nationwide peace, and to introduce a federal system in the country. The ABSDF elects its leadership democratically, with leaders of the organisation serving for three-year terms in accordance with the ABSDF ...
MORU SMRU Posted 27/11/2020. The migrant-friendly residential TB program of SMRU on the Thailand-Myanmar border has achieved high treatment success rate. However, many TB patients admitted to the centers are in advanced stage of disease. Win Pa Pa Htun and colleagues show that early TB death (in the first month of treatment) is highest among pulmonary TB cases and in particular in HIV co-infected patients and in those with co-morbidity. Early detection and treatment for both TB and HIV are crucial for migrants, if the case fatality rate is to be reduced in this marginalized population.. ...
BEST PCD PHARMA FRANCHISE IN ASSAM - PCD Franchise in Kokrajhar Manufacturer from Mohali
Manufacturer of BEST PCD PHARMA FRANCHISE IN ASSAM - PCD Franchise in Kokrajhar, PCD Franchise in Kamrup, PCD Franchise In Dibrugarh and PCD Franchise In Morigaon offered by Positive Medicare Private Limited, Mohali, Punjab.
Mandalay Resources Corps Youle vein at Costerfield set to provide potential reserve boost
Updating on exploration, Mandalay said that the most recent drilling results further demonstrates that the mineralisation continues at depth
Khin Maung Saw - Burmese Cuisine, Its Unique Style and Changes after British Annexation - MoeMaKa in English
Although traditional Burmese cuisine is unique and neither similar to that of the Indians nor that of the Chinese, many foreigners easily conclude that Burmese Cuisine is somewhere between Chinese and Indian cuisine. The main reason for that is: for many foreigners, real Burmese cuisine is out of their reach because cook books on traditional Burmese cuisine are extremely rare, and very few good restaurants serve traditional Burmese meals. Thus, it is no wonder that traditional Burmese cuisine is like a closed book for many foreigners. Apart from that, there was a huge Indian immigration into Burma during the British colonial era and some Indian influences can be traced in modern Burmese cuisine even today. Since most of the modern cook books are based on hybrid-cuisines, one cannot get the real information about traditional Burmese cuisine. Reading those books may even lead a foreigner to jump to the wrong conclusions.. To conclude, I have presented this article in the spirit of genuine good ...
Fighting malaria and tuberculosis on the Thai-Myanmar border - Order of Malta
For over 17 years the worldwide relief agency of the Order of Malta for humanitarian aid, Malteser International, has been responsible for health care in two refugee camps along the Thailand-Myanmar border with more than 35,000 inhabitants. The refugees are fully dependent on international support for shelter, food, education, water and health services while income opportunities are limited.. Malaria and tuberculosis are two major concerns. Smith Saenkum is Malteser Internationals Lab Supervisor in the Mae La Oon and Mae Ra Ma Luang camps, in Thailand. Joice Biazoto interviewed him.. How does the laboratory technician training programme work?. Every year, we recruit students from the camps schools who have the highest grades and invite them to apply for the programme. Last year, we had about 70 applicants who completed the examinations and 10 were selected to become lab technicians. They are trained in a total of 18 different topics, from conducting basic lab tests such as urine and stool ...
Church interior decorated for Harvest Festival, Mandalay, Myanmar, s.d. :: International Mission Photography Archive, ca.1860...
Harvest Festival . The interior of Wesley Church, Mandalay decorated for Harvest Sunday.; From a set of lantern slides entitled Methodism in Burma compiled by Rev H. Crawford Walters who served as a missionary with the [Wesleyan] Methodist Missionary Society in Burma from 1910 to 1916 and from 1918 until 1930. The Wesleyan Methodist mission to Burma started shortly after the British annexation of Upper Burma in 1886. The pioneer missionaries were W. Ripley Winston and Arthur H. Bestall who established a mission in Mandalay in 1887/8. Due to strongly-rooted Buddhist beliefs the mission made slow progress. However, a Home for Lepers in Mandalay was built in 1890 and mission stations eventually opened in Pakkokku, Kyaukse and Monywa. Work was also carried out among the Taungthus people in the Shan Hills ...
Burmese Cat Health - PoC
Update Sept 2011: Hypokalemic myopathy is an autosomal (not sex linked) recessive genetic defect seen in young Burmese kittens. Symptoms occur at about 4 months of age. The kittens have periods of paralysis or weakness. Their necks may be flexed downwards. The treatment is a dietary supplement of potassium. This reverses the symptoms. The supplement should be given until the kitten can regulate potassium metabolism. Seek a vets advice on duration (source is page 368-369 of the Cat Owners Home Veterinary Handbook updated edition).. Update Feb 2012: Burmese cat health problems also extend to lethal midfacial malformations. This is an abnormality in about one quarter of the kittens that are (were?) born in a particular line of Burmese cats that were bred selectively for the more rounded face and short nose referred to above.. In addition the Burmese cat may have a propensity to developing Diabetes Mellitus (Sugar Diabetes) - source: Cat Owners Home Veterinary Handbook 3rd edition. ISBN ...
Gold Ring Burmese Danio: Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums
The Gold Ring Burmese Danio is a very attractive fish that is sure to add personality to any community freshwater aquarium. Boasting a silver-gold body and spotted pattern that stretches from the gill to the end of the tail. Gold Ring Burmese Danios are found in a variety of habitats, ranging from fast-moving streams to slow-moving, nearly stagnant ponds. In the home aquarium, this member of the Cyprinidae family prefers a well-planted aquarium with large, open areas for swimming. House the Gold Ring Burmese Danio in an aquarium of at least 10 gallons or larger aquascaped with live plants, rocks and driftwood. Darker substrate will help bring out best coloration. For best care, keep this peaceful fish in small schools with equally non-aggressive fish. The Gold Ring Burmese Danio is a highly active swimmer, especially when kept in small schools, so additional water flow provided by a powerhead will be greatly appreciated. Male Danios are generally more torpedo shaped, while females tend to have a ...
Amelanistic Burmese Python, Melanie
As one of the 6 biggest kinds of snakes in the world, Burmese pythons can weigh up to 200 pounds and grow up to 20 feet long. The largest pythons are always female. They can grow from 13 to 20 feet while the typically smaller males grow from 8 to 17 feet. However, most Burmese pythons in general grow to a length of around 12 feet. The males and females can be distinguished by external features. In males the anal spurs on each side of the cloaca are much more developed than in females. Its unknown how long the Burmese python will live in the wild. The snakes body and its organs are long and thin. Pythons are constrictors, therefore they dont have fangs; instead, they have rearward- pointing teeth, and they are non-venomous. Snakes usually only have one thin lung. However, pythons have two, one of which is considerably smaller than the other. They lack eyelids. However, they do have a thin, protective epidermal membrane covering the eyes. The lighter-colored amelanistic form of this snake is ...
လမင္းခင္: ဂြ်န္ယက္ေတာ ဖြင့္ေျပာျပီ - နအဖလုံျခဳံေရးေတြက လက္ဆြဲႏွဳတ္ဆက္ျပီး သူ ့ကို ...
John Yettaw, just back from his Burmese prison odyssey, explains how he unwittingly created an international diplomatic crisis.How was a retired bus driver from Missouri able to make a flipper-clad, two-kilometer swim to the heavily guarded house of Burmese pro-democracy leader Aung Sang Suu Kyi, one of the worlds most famous dissidents? While John Yettaw languished in Burmese jail during his trial for illegal swimming, all we could do is speculate. But now, in an exclusive interview with NEWSWEEK, Yettaw has offered an explanation: Burmese security officials let him. I dont know why they didnt stop me, he says. The man with the AK-47 shook my hand and let me in.In his first full-length interview, conducted by telephone from his home in central Missouri, Yettaw addressed the rationale for his undiplomatic dip, responding to critics and speaking at length about his commitment to Burma. I want to free Myanmar. I want to stop the suffering there. I am antijunta. I will never be at peace, ...
Estimated 3.2 million Burmese potentially affected ... ( As many as 3.2 million Burmese are e...)
Health, ...As many as 3.2 million Burmese are estimated to be affected by the dev...We estimate that 20 percent of the population in the four affected adm...According to the calculations the Ayeyarwady region was hardest hit ...Major health threats for cyclone survivors include waterborne diseases...,Estimated,3.2,million,Burmese,potentially,affected,by,cyclone,medicine,medical news today,latest medical news,medical newsletters,current medical news,latest medicine news
Rangoon Resident Sued Under Controversial Defamation Laws | Bruneis No.1 News Website
1131 views. RANGOON. A Rangoon resident was sued by two National League for Democracy lawmakers under controversial defamation laws and she claims that the move was an abuse of power.. Ma Myat Thet Mon, 38, told the media at a press conference on Tuesday that she is facing two lawsuits-under Article 500 of the Penal Code and 66(d) of the Telecommunications Law, respectively, filed by two regional lawmakers from Rangoons Yankin Township.. The Article 500 lawsuit was filed by regional lawmaker U Thein Zaw of Yankin Constituency (2) and it was brought to the Yankin Township court in late September. Ma Myat Thet Mon has been summoned by the court twice so far, she said. Police are concurrently investigating her phone and SIM card for the suit filed under Article 66(d) by regional lawmaker Daw Thida Maung of Yankin constituency (1).. According to Ma Myat Thet Mon, the suits stem from her housemaid who went missing on Sept. 17. She immediately reported her absence to the police station. The missing ...
Hundreds rally in Myanmar to show support for Suu Kyi - Apeksha News
Yangon: About 700 people rallied Sunday to show support for Myanmars leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, as she prepares to defend the country against charges of genocide at the UNs highest court.. Members of Suu Kyis National League for Democracy party swelled the ranks in front of the colonial-era City Hall in Yangon, Myanmars largest city, as the crowd waved national flags and listened to music and poetry.. A popular local singer told them Mother Suu is the bravest human being in the world her weapon is love.. Many carried banners saying, We stand with you, Mother Suu.. The case before the International Court of Justice in The Hague relates to a harsh counterinsurgency campaign waged by Myanmars military against members of the countrys Muslim Rohingya community in August 2017 in response to an insurgent attack.. More than 700,000 Rohingya fled to neighbouring Bangladesh to. escape what has been called an ethnic cleansing campaign involving mass rapes, killings and the torching of homes.. The head ...
Volume 88, Issue 3 | The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
Abstract. Malaria has been a heavy social and health burden in the remote and poor areas in southern China. Analyses of malaria epidemic patterns can uncover important features of malaria transmission. This study identified spatial clusters, seasonal patterns, and geographic variations of malaria deaths at a county level in Yunnan, China, during 1991-2010. A discrete Poisson model was used to identify purely spatial clusters of malaria deaths. Logistic regression analysis was performed to detect changes in geographic patterns. The results show that malaria mortality had declined in Yunnan over the study period and the most likely spatial clusters (relative risk [RR] = 23.03-32.06, P < 0.001) of malaria deaths were identified in western Yunnan along the China-Myanmar border. The highest risk of malaria deaths occurred in autumn (RR = 58.91, P < 0.001) and summer (RR = 31.91, P < 0.001). The results suggested that the geographic distribution of malaria deaths was significantly changed with ...
SERV PRO FRANCHISE VS SPAULDING DECON FRANCHISE - Crime Scene Cleaning and Decontamination
When it comes to owning a decontamination franchise, there are many options out there, many names you may hear, but which do you choose? What qualifies a franchise as the best? Should you base it on the number of franchises? Or rather the quality of service the franchise offers? Maybe its that the franchise owner is more hands on? Or maybe the fact that they are hands off is what sells you? Lets take a look at two of the biggest names in the decontamination industry, Serv Pro, and Spaulding Decon.. Serv Pro was founded in 1967, for almost 50 years they have been helping the entrepreneurs succeed, according to their website. Which off the bat tells us that their focus is on the franchise, not the customer. While Spaulding Decon was founded in 2005, it has been a leader in the decontamination business for over 10 years and its focus is on helping the franchise succeed in order to provide the best possible service or the customer.. Both Serv Pro and Spaulding Decon are decontamination ...
FAQs: Burmese Pythons in Florida
Burmese pythons are frequently found in or near the water, although they are capable of climbing. Occasionally, pythons are seen in the water during warm months, but most pythons are found crossing roads at night during summer and fall.. During cooler months, Burmese pythons can be found on levees along the edge of canals. On cool mornings, pythons will often lay in the edge of vegetation on the eastern side of canals; after warming up, they will move away from the edges later in the day.. Breeding takes place from January through April. In these months, females and males can be found together in the fringe of vegetation on the edge of canals with permanent water. Breeding females are typically larger than males; after laying eggs, females will guard the nest for weeks until hatching.. ...
GigaDB Dataset - DOI 10.5524/100320 - Supporting data for Transcriptome Analysis of the Response of Burmese Python to...
Exceptional and extreme feeding behaviour makes the Burmese python (Python bivittatus) an interesting model to study physiological remodelling and metabolic adaptation in response to refeeding after prolonged starvation. In this study, we used transcriptome sequencing of five visceral organs during fasting as well as 24h and 48h after ingestion of a large meal to unravel the postprandial changes in Burmese pythons. We first used the pooled data to perform a de novo assembly of the transcriptome and supplemented this with a proteomic survey of enzymes in the plasma and gastric fluid. |br| We constructed a high-quality transcriptome with 34,423 transcripts of which 19,713 (57%) were annotated. Among highly expressed genes (FPKM|100 in one tissue) we found the transition from fasting to digestion was associated with differential expression of 43 genes in the heart, 206 genes in the liver, 114 genes in the stomach, 89 genes in the pancreas and 158 genes in the intestine. We interrogated the function of
Burmese unrest may provoke reaction from China | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED
The United Nations and overseas Burmese groups say upward of 10,000 refugees and hundreds of ethnic Kokang fighters are in southern China, presenting a logistical headache for the central government in Beijing.. In the past, Beijing has played down political, social and human-rights problems raised by the West, contending that these were internal Burmese issues that didnt affect regional stability or Chinas national interest. This stance may be harder to maintain now that the problem has washed over into Chinese territory.. ...
Burmese - The facts every owner of this cat breed should know
The modern Burmese breed has roots muddled in history. It is generally believed that Burmese are a man made breed descending from the crossbreeding of a Siamese and an ancient ...
In burmese cats brown coat color is dominant to tan coat., Ask an Expert
1.in burmese cats brown coat color is dominant to tan coat. brown coat is a highly prized trait in burmese. you have a, Hire Biology Expert, Ask Academics Expert, Assignment Help, Homework Help, Textbooks Solutions
Estimation of gestational age from fundal height: a solution for resource-poor settings. - CAMS Oxford Institute
Many women in resource-poor settings lack access to reliable gestational age assessment because they do not know their last menstrual period; there is no ultrasound (US) and methods of newborn gestational age dating are not practised by birth attendants. A bespoke multiple-measures model was developed to predict the expected date of delivery determined by US. The results are compared with both a linear and a nonlinear model. Prospectively collected early US and serial symphysis-pubis fundal height (SFH) data were used in the models. The data were collected from Karen and Burmese women attending antenatal care on the Thai-Burmese border. The multiple-measures model performed best, resulting in a range of accuracy depending on the number of SFH measures recorded per mother (for example six SFH measurements resulted in a prediction accuracy of ±2 weeks). SFH remains the proxy for gestational age in much of the resource-poor world. While more accurate measures should be encouraged, we demonstrate that a
Nutrition in transition: historical cohort analysis summarising trends in under- and over-nutrition among pregnant women in a...
|jats:title|Abstract|/jats:title||jats:p|The objective of the present study is to summarise trends in under- and over-nutrition in pregnant women on the Thailand-Myanmar border. Refugees contributed data from 1986 to 2016 and migrants from 1999 to 2016 for weight at first antenatal consultation. BMI and gestational weight gain (GWG) data were available during 2004-2016 when height was routinely measured. Risk factors for low and high BMI were analysed for <18·5 kg/m|jats:sup|2|/jats:sup| or ≥23 kg/m|jats:sup|2|/jats:sup|, respectively. A total of 48 062 pregnancies over 30 years were available for weight analysis and 14 646 pregnancies over 13 years (2004-2016) had BMI measured in first trimester (<14 weeks gestational age). Mean weight at first antenatal consultation in any trimester increased over the 30-year period by 2·0 to 5·2 kg for all women. First trimester BMI has been increasing on average by 0·5 kg/m|jats:sup|2|/jats:sup| for refugees and 0·6 kg/m|jats:sup|2|/jats:sup| for
A Longitudinal Study of Streptococcus pneumoniae Carriage in a Cohort of Infants and Their Mothers on the Thailand-Myanmar...
Background Pneumococcal disease is a major cause of childhood death. Almost a third of the worlds children live in Southeast Asia, but there are few data from the region on pneumococcal colonization or disease. Our aim was to document the dynamics of pneumococcal carriage in a rural SE Asian birth cohort. Methods We studied 234 Karen mother-infant pairs in Northwestern Thailand. Infants were followed from birth and nasopharyngeal swabs were taken from mother and infant at monthly intervals until 24 months old. Results 8,386 swabs were cultured and 4,396 pneumococci characterized. Infants became colonized early (median 45.5 days; 95% confidence interval [CI] 44.5-46.0) and by 24 months had a median of seven (range 0-15) carriage episodes. Maternal smoking and young children in the house were associated with earlier colonization (hazard ratio [HR] 1.5 (95% CI 1.1-2.1) and 1.4 (95% CI 1.0-1.9)). For the four commonest serotypes and non-typeable pneumococci, previous exposure to homologous or
List Of Slot Machines At Mandalay Bay - The worlds online casinos, the locations not to be missed - Eastshaw Guesthouse
I just would like to give you a big thumbs up for the great info you have got here on this post, thus almost insuring that something will hit. With no max wins from Free Spins and no minimum withdrawals, even if the payback is only a few cents. List of slot machines at mandalay bay if you make bets in these games, including the table games. Can you please advice on what course I can start with to bring me back to speed, definitely go to the player club. You can easily use board game apps on your android or iOS device, sign up for a card and use it. If you want to see actual cash, we remember how important mobile gaming is to people. All betting controls are hidden behind the left, that is low. Heres what you can do to ensure you have an excellent casino experience, but dont panic because there is more. Players are not accepted from the following countries: Asia, I will not believe how silly it is for them to do that. That risk paid off when he won one of the biggest Powerball jackpots in ...
Pharma Franchise in Assam - Pharma Franchise for Silchar Manufacturer from Mohali
Manufacturer of Pharma Franchise in Assam - Pharma Franchise for Silchar, Pharma Franchise for Barpeta, Pharma Franchise for Cachar and Pharma Franchise for Karimganj offered by Innovexia Life Sciences Private Limited, Mohali, Punjab.
Pharma Franchise in Tamil Nadu - PCD Pharma Franchise in Thanjavur Manufacturer from Panchkula
Manufacturer of Pharma Franchise in Tamil Nadu - PCD Pharma Franchise in Thanjavur, Pharma Franchise in Viluppuram, Pharma Franchise in Tiruvannamalai and PCD Pharma Franchise in Erode offered by Fibovil Pharmaceuticals Private Limited, Panchkula, Haryana.
Pharma Franchise In Kerala - Pharma Franchise In Kasaragod Kerala Wholesale Trader from Panchkula
Wholesale Trader of Pharma Franchise In Kerala - Pharma Franchise In Kasaragod Kerala, Pharma Franchise In Kollam Kerala, Pharma Franchise In Kannur Kerala and Pharma Franchise In Kozhikode Kerala offered by Veecube Healthcare Private Limited, Panchkula, Haryana.
Pharma Franchise for Andhra Pradesh - Pharma Franchise for Telengana Manufacturer from Solan
Manufacturer of Pharma Franchise for Andhra Pradesh - Pharma Franchise for Telengana, Pharma Franchise for Eluru A.P, Pharma Franchise for Chittoor and Pharma Franchise For Godavari offered by Jasco Labs Private Limited, Solan, Himachal Pradesh.
Pharma Franchise Opportunity in Rajasthan - Pharma Franchise In Ajmer Manufacturer from Panchkula
Manufacturer of Pharma Franchise Opportunity in Rajasthan - Pharma Franchise In Ajmer, Pharma Franchise In Alwar, Pharma Franchise In Banswara and Pharma Franchise In Baran offered by Sonixa Lifecare (Division Of Smotec Pharmaceuticals), Panchkula, Haryana.
PCD Pharma Franchise in Bihar - Pharma Franchise In Araria Manufacturer from Panchkula
Manufacturer of PCD Pharma Franchise in Bihar - Pharma Franchise In Araria, Pharma Franchise In Arwal, Pharma Franchise In Aurangabad and Pharma Franchise In Banka offered by Sonixa Lifecare (Division Of Smotec Pharmaceuticals), Panchkula, Haryana.
Pharma Franchise in Haryana - Pharma Franchise in Ambala Manufacturer from Panchkula
Manufacturer of Pharma Franchise in Haryana - Pharma Franchise in Ambala, Pharma Franchise In Bhiwani, Pharma Franchise in Faridabad and Pharma Franchise in Fatehabad offered by Valcret Lifesciences Pvt. Ltd., Panchkula, Haryana.
Mandalay Vision, Vertigo Duet On Marjane Satrapi-Directed Thriller The Voices | Deadline
EXCLUSIVE: Mandalay Vision and Vertigo Entertainment will team on The Voices, a psychological thriller that will be directed by Marjane Satrapi from a script by Paranormal Activitys Michael R. Perry.
Ayeyarwady River Contract Awarded - Dredging Today
The Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs, Netherlands Enterprise Agency (Rijksdienst voor Ondernemend Nederland) has contracted Royal HaskoningDHV for a Feasibility Study on improvement of the navigability of the Ayeyarwady River in Myanmar.. The Ayeyarwady River connects the 2 most important cities of Myanmar, Yangon (5 million inhabitants) and Mandalay (1 million inhabitants) with the hinterland. The river forms the most important transportation route for the many resources which the hinterland has to offer: agricultural products, wood, gas, oil, coal and gold.. By improving and intensifying the navigability of the Ayeyarwady River, the countrys economy is expected to benefit greatly.. The assignment is carried out by Royal HaskoningDHV in cooperation with the Rebel group and Arcadis.. The consortium started the feasibility study in November 2014 and will carry out the following activities:. - The review of the current river training works;. - Update of the River Training Master Plan dating ...
Pharma Franchise in Maharashtra - Pharma Franchise in Nashik Manufacturer from Panchkula
Manufacturer of Pharma Franchise in Maharashtra - Pharma Franchise in Nashik, Pharma Franchise in Pune, Pharma PCD in Nagpur and Pharma Franchise in Jalgaon offered by Rapid Life Drugs & Healthcare, Panchkula, Haryana.
Pharma Franchise Opportunity in Maharashtra - PCD Pharma Franchise In Jalgaon Wholesale Trader from Panchkula
Wholesale Trader of Pharma Franchise Opportunity in Maharashtra - PCD Pharma Franchise In Jalgaon, PCD Pharma Franchise In Nandurbar, PCD Pharma Franchise In Chandrapur offered by Smotec Pharmaceuticals, Panchkula, Haryana.
Most visitors to Myanmar start out from Yangon, the old capital which used to be known as Rangoon. This is a city full of picturesque old colonial buildings and has most of the best restaurants in the country. In the vicinity of the city lies the Kyaiktiyo Golden Rock, precariously balanced and left by a retreating glacier thousands of years ago. To the southeast are rock caves full of ancient art, and you can also visit old monasteries in the neighbouring mountains ...
Most visitors to Myanmar start out from Yangon, the old capital which used to be known as Rangoon. This is a city full of picturesque old colonial buildings and has most of the best restaurants in the country. In the vicinity of the city lies the Kyaiktiyo Golden Rock, precariously balanced and left by a retreating glacier thousands of years ago. To the southeast are rock caves full of ancient art, and you can also visit old monasteries in the neighbouring mountains ...
Zolfo Springs cousins wrangle 300-pound, 16-foot Burmese python on family property
Aaron Brown was driving when he spotted something on his familys property that required a second look. It turned out to be a 16-foot Burmese python with 100 eggs inside.
The Burmese Military is Committing Crimes Against Humanity | Human Rights Watch
In Bangladeshs overflowing and squalid camps for the hundreds of thousands of Rohingya fleeing the Burmese armys campaign of ethnic cleansing, I met three remarkable women who told me their stories of horror and survival in the village of Tu Lar To Li.
Thailands Burmese slaves - France 24
REPORTERS : In Mahachai, an industrial zone south of Bangkok, half a million Burmese people work in the fishing industry. But most have no papers and ma...
PLOS Medicine: Impact of Community-Based Maternal Health Workers on Coverage of Essential Maternal Health Interventions among...
Mullany and colleagues report outcomes from a project involving delivery of community-based maternal health services in eastern Burma, and report substantial increases in coverage of care.
Burmese - Cat Guide
Burmese cat, a descendant of copper cat from the present-day Myanmar, is highly entertaining and loves to stay with humans in a homely surrounding.
Episode 196: Burmese Curry, Diet and Cholesterol, and The Joy of Cooking by Local Mouthful | Mixcloud
Listen to Episode 196: Burmese Curry, Diet and Cholesterol, and The Joy of Cooking by Local Mouthful for free. Follow Local Mouthful to never miss another show.
Burmese Cat Insurance, Breed Facts, Health & Information
Learn more about the intelligent & friendly Burmese, from his grooming & exercise needs to what keeps him happy with this Tesco Pet Insurance guide.
NEW.SCREAM.INDUSTRY.: Burmese/Cadaver Eyes split cd OUT NOW !!!
But first off, holy shit are we psyched to have new music from Burmese. These guys are seriously sloooooow workers. Other than a handful of shows, weve heard nary a peep from these guys, there was the reissue of the tUMULt release on vinyl, but its literally been years weve been waiting for a new record. Multiple lineup changes, disastrous tours, scrapped recordings, the sort of luck that has plagued these guys forever. But finally, theyve beat the curse, and gotten us 11 new blasts of brutal, speaker shredding ultraviolence. Some confusion mix of Whitehouse style abstract noise, pummeling grind, damaged metal, freaked out power violence. They may be down to one drummer, but they still have two bass players, and now THREE vocalists ...
What color eyes do Burmese cats have?
Burmese cats should have eyes which are brilliant and from yellow to gold in color. |a class=more-link href=http://pictures-of-cats.org/what-color-eyes-do-burmese-cats-have.html|please continue reading|/a|
Translate sedentem from Latin to Burmese - MyMemory
Contextual translation of sedentem from Latin into Burmese. Examples translated by humans: MyMemory, Worlds Largest Translation Memory.
Pcd Pharma Franchise & General Range Pcd Service Provider from Jaipur
Service Provider of Pcd Pharma Franchise, General Range Pcd, Gyne Range Pcd Pharma Franchise, Ortho RangePcd Pharma Franchise and Cardiac Diabetic RangePcd Pharma Franchise offered by Shri Balaji Marketing, Jaipur, Rajasthan.
PCD Pharma Franchise Manufacturer, Distributor, Supplier, Trading Company, PCD Pharma Franchise India
KINESIS BIOCARE - Manufacturer, Distributor, Supplier, Trading Company of PCD Pharma Franchise Pharma Franchise in Andhra Pradesh,PCD Pharma Franchise, India
List of aerospace engineering schools
Myanmar. *Myanmar Aerospace Engineering University. Netherlands. *Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) ...
Myanmar. The role of students' unions in Myanmar were attached with Politics. From 1902, the students' union were ... The Students' union in Myanmar tried to initiate to get the Interdependence of Burma. They always stood together with the ... There were many students boycotts in Myanmar:1920, 1936, 1962, 1974-75-76, 1988, 1996, 2007 and recently 2015 March. Most of ... The role of students' union is the greatest power in Myanmar or Burma according to History. ...
Myanmar. Eid al-Fitar lasts for only one day among Burmese Muslims, who call the day Eid Nei' (Nei'=day) or Eid Ka Lay ( ...
Myanmar. Naypyidaw is the capital of Myanmar, also known as Burma. It is administered by the Naypyidaw Union Territory, ... "Construction of Myanmar new capital continues". People's Daily Online. Xinhua News. 24 December 2009.. ...
This tradition distinguished them from other ethnic groups in Myanmar. The today Mon people of Myanmar and Thailand were the ... Myanmar. The ethnic Mon is also known to have similar tradition of wearing the shawl-like sabai diagonally over the chest ...
Myanmar. Main article: Gaung baung. In Myanmar, the turban is referred to as a gaung baung. There are several regional ...
Surnames by country
Myanmar (Burma). Main article: Burmese name. People from Myanmar or Burmese, have no family names. This, to some, is the ... Some parts of Sri Lanka, Thailand, Nepal, Myanmar, and Indonesia have similar patronymic customs to those of India. ... Some of those from Myanmar or Burma, who are familiar with European or American cultures, began to put to their younger ...
Myanmar. Main article: Administrative divisions of Myanmar. Nepal. Main article: Local governance in Nepal ...
Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery
Myanmar. All five medical schools (UM1, UM 2, DSMA, UMM, UMMG) in Myanmar award MB BS. ... Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, New Zealand, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saudi Arabia, Sierra ...
Myanmar. Main article: Burmese nationality law. Myanmar citizens are required to obtain a National Registration Card (NRC), ...
List of forest research institutes
Myanmar (Burma). *Forest Research Institute, affiliated with the University of Forestry (Yezin) ...
International recognition of Bangladesh
Myanmar. Myanmar (Burma) was one of the first countries to recognize Bangladesh. ...
Kwun-ya (ကွမ်းယာ) is the word for paan in Myanmar, formerly Burma, where the most common configuration for chewing is a betel ... Seekins, Donald M. (2006). Historical Dictionary of Burma (Myanmar). Scarecrow Press. p. 109. ISBN 978-0-8108-5476-5.. ... An anecdotal government survey indicated that 40% of men and 20% of women in Myanmar chew betel. An aggregate study of ... "Myanmar Times. Archived from the original on 26 May 2013. Retrieved 17 April 2012.. ...
Myanmar. In Myanmar (Burma), since the Pagan era of 11th century, each and every single one of the royal family received ...
Myanmar. Main article: Villages of Myanmar. Philippines. In urban areas of the Philippines, the term "village" most ...
Pre-1975 North Indian Ocean cyclone seasons
1968 Myanmar cyclone. On May 10, a cyclone struck Myanmar (then known as Burma), killing 1,037 people and leaving 297,768 ...
Myanmar Jerdon's babbler. Chrysomma altirostre altirostre Jerdon 1862 Described above.. Floodplains of the Irrawaddy ... A NHM specimen is supposedly from Bhamo in the Kachin State of Myanmar, but may just as well be mislabelled.. The Sukla Phanta ... The nominate subspecies from Myanmar was thought to be extinct. It was last seen in July 1941 in habitat fragments at Myitkyo, ... River from Bhamo to Bago and up the Sittaung River nearly to Taungoo in Myanmar. Previously thought to be extinct, and ...
A1 Film Company
"Myanmar's once-proud film industry a flicker of its former self". latimes.com. Retrieved 27 November 2013. "Can Myanmar cinema ... "Can Myanmar cinema get a second act?". bangkokpost.com. Archived from the original on 27 November 2013. Retrieved 27 November ... The company was awarded to the Myanmar Motion Picture Academy Awards. It produced the 1940 film Chit Yay Sin and 1935 Japan Yin ... "Myanmar. Its soldiers, pirates, posters and theaters". steppesinsync.com. Archived from the original on 2 December 2013. ...
Animal rights by country or territory
"Myanmar , World Animal Protection". api.worldanimalprotection.org. Retrieved 2019-10-30. "New Zealand: country profile". ...
Myanmar; Nepal; the Philippines; Singapore; South Korea; Thailand; and Vietnam. It is sometimes planted as an ornamental, and ...
"Rohingya , Flag , Myanmar". ozoutback.com.au. OzOutback. Retrieved 16 July 2019. Arakanese Rohingya Flag by the Rohingya ... "Myanmar - Burmese peoples". www.crwflags.com. CRW Flags Inc. Retrieved 16 July 2019. "Arakanese Rohingya Flag". Rohingya ...
Myanmar; India (including Nicobar Islands, Andaman Islands, Assam); Bangladesh; Tibet; East Himalaya. The genus has also been ...
Myanmar News Agency (16 June 2003). "Shwehtidaw Hoisted atop Kyaikhtihsaung Hsandawshin Pagoda" (PDF). New Light of Myanmar. pp ... In 2013, Myanmar Tycoon Khin Shwe worked together with the Kyaikhtisaung Sayadaw to try to raise the Dhammazedi Bell from the ... "May the Suvannabhumi Sasana, the Golden Land of Myanmar, exist extensively, akin to the sun and moon." "May human beings all ... For the next forty years, he set about restoring nine sacred pagodas throughout Myanmar, each claimed to contain preserved hair ...
Flag of Mon State
"Mon State , Flag , Myanmar , OzOutback". ozoutback.com.au. Retrieved 9 July 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) "Mon ... State (Myanmar)". www.crwflags.com. Retrieved 9 July 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) v t e v t e. ...
The Elders (organization)
"The Elders encourage all parties in Myanmar to advance national reforms, support peace accords". The Elders. "Myanmar's ... The Myanmar opposition leader and Nobel Peace Prize laureate Aung San Suu Kyi is a former honorary Elder. During her period ... In the first trip, they travelled to Nay Pyi Taw and Myitkyina, Kachin State, in Myanmar and to Mae Sot and Chiang Mai in ... They called on Myanmar's government and military leaders to allow displaced Rohingya in Bangladesh and other countries to ...
Myanmar ; Pakistan ; Sulawesi ; Thailand ; Vietnam http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=200011975 http:// ...
Myanmar; India (including Andaman Islands, Assam); Bangladesh; Bhutan; East Himalaya. In Australia this plant grows in gallery ...
Myanmar; Thailand; Vietnam, Indonesia; Malaysia; Papua New Guinea; Australia It is an introduced species in Puerto Rico at Toro ...
Myanmar. Hering, E.M. (1938). "Entomological results from the Swedish Expedition 1934 to Burma and British India. Diptera: Fam ...
It is native to an area of tropical Asia, from Jawa to Philippines to Vietnam and the Andaman Islands and Myanmar. It is a food ... Myanmar; India (Andaman Islands). M. lilacinum grows in the lowland dipterocarp forest surrounding Lake Bera/Tasik Bera, Pahang ...
Myanmar - France 24
... Waging Peace. The Carter Center has had a presence in Myanmar since establishing an office in Yangon in October 2013. ... However, it also noted that the quality of democracy in Myanmar continues to be undermined by serious deficiencies in the legal ... However, Myanmars transition from authoritarian rule to democracy is incomplete. The constitutional framework for elections is ... Conflict between the military and ethnic armed groups has gone on for decades in Myanmar. Attempts at peace and reconciliation ...
CDC Global Health - Burma (Myanmar)
What CDC is Doing in Burma (Myanmar). HIV and Tuberculosis HIV is a leading cause of death and a health threat to millions ... CDC support in Myanmar focuses on technical assistance to improve the clinical cascades for HIV prevention, testing, and ... CDC also supports Myanmar in strengthening the capacity of its workforce to investigate and respond to communicable disease ... As a key implementer of the U.S. Presidents Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), CDC works with Myanmar to build a ...
New Light of Myanmar - Wikipedia
myanmar. .com. /newspapers. /the-new-light-of-myanmar. .html. The New Light of Myanmar (Burmese: မြန်မာ့အလင်း; MLCTS: mran ma. ... The New Light of Myanmar is often viewed as propaganda on part of the Tatmadaw and the government, and features many articles ... It is the longest-running circulated newspaper in Myanmar. The newspaper was nationalised in 1969. In 1993, the Working ... The majority of domestic news articles comes from the state-run Myanmar News Agency (MNA), whilst most international articles ...
Myanmar - The New York Times
Myanmar emerged from British colonial rule in 1948, and remained under military control long after General Ne Win overthrew the ... Myanmar emerged from British colonial rule in 1948, and remained under military control long after General Ne Win overthrew the ... p,The Republic of the Union of Myanmar, formerly known as Burma, is the second largest country in Southeast Asia and boasts a ... p, ,p,Keep up to date on breaking news in Myanmar and explore our extensive archive below. ,/p, ...
Publications (ILO in Myanmar)
Myanmar (195) Asia (14) Thailand (9) Cambodia (9) Lao Peoples Democratic Republic (8) Malaysia (7) Global (7) Viet Nam (6) ... In Myanmar, the pandemic could ultimately lead to a socioeconomic crisis if the right policies and plans are not well designed ... Promoting dialogue in the Myanmar garment sector 03 July 2020 Social dialogue is the ILOs best mechanism in promoting better ... As Myanmar is modernizing its many labour market institutions, the ability of workers and employers organizations and their ...
Myanmar ATS situation worsening
... 20 December 2010 - According to the latest Myanmar Situation Assessment on Amphetamine-Type ... In 2009, large seizures of high purity crystalline methamphetamine were made in Myanmar. Authorities in both Myanmar and ... It aims to provide a clearer understanding of the ATS situation in Myanmar, in order to design effective and evidence-informed ... Over the past decade, Myanmar has become a key ATS producer in the region, particularly with regard to methamphetamine pills. ...
UNICEF Myanmar - Resources - Emergencies
UNICEF Myanmars Key Messages for the International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction (IDDR) 2018 for the Theme of "Reducing ... UNICEF Myanmar Humanitarian Situation Report for the Year End 2018. Download pdf version ... UNICEF Humanitarian Response for Children in Myanmar with funding contribution from the Government of Denmark. Download pdf ... Meeting the Humanitarian Needs of Children in Myanmar 2016 (Funding Technical Concept Notes). Download pdf version ...
Publications (ILO in Myanmar)
Myanmar (197) Asia (16) Cambodia (11) Lao Peoples Democratic Republic (10) Thailand (9) Malaysia (7) Global (7) Viet Nam (6) ... This is the Myanmar version of the ILO General principles and operational guidelines for fair recruitment and definition of ... Rapid Assessment on Child Domestic Work in Myanmar 25 October 2019 The Rapid Assessment on Child Domestic Work (CDW) has been ... Legal Protection of Domestic Work in Myanmar 05 December 2019 Traditionally, domestic work has been done by housewives or poor ...
Myanmar - Wikitravel
Myanmars people and history is a glorious mishmash of settlers and invaders from all fronts. The Mon and the Pyu are thought ... Myanmar, or Burma, officially the Republic of the Union of Myanmar is a country in Southeast Asia. It lies on the Bay of Bengal ... Central Myanmar Mandalay, historical and archaeological sites and cool hill towns Western Myanmar remote mountainous regions ... 1) Real Burma Travel  2) Burma Travel Packages  3) Travel Myanmar  4) Asia Tours  5) Mr Myanmar Travel  6) ...
Electricity to Transform Rural Myanmar
... of households in rural Myanmar due to lack of electricity connection. To fix that, the World Bank is supporting its National ... The Government of Myanmar, with the help of the World Bank, has developed a National Electrification Plan that calls for ... Kyaw San, a high school student in Buu Tar Suu village in Myanmars Yangon Division, finds that studying at night can be a real ... As the plan is rolled out, the electricity it will bring has the potential to transform life in rural Myanmar. Students will be ...
IIE Myanmar Higher Education Initiative
The IIE Myanmar Higher Education Initiative trains Ministry officials and university representatives in Myanmar on how to ... Myanmar Higher Education Association. Myanmar International Higher Education Association. The association serves as a community ... The course has led to the creation of international offices on campuses in Myanmar and many participants have become the Senior ... The course currently offers training to education professionals and Ministry officials from Myanmar, giving them the tools to ...
Kyaukpyu China-Myanmar Economic Corridor
The Sino-Myanmar Railway linking Chinas Kunming and Myanmars Yangon covers a total length of 1,920 kilometers, among which, a ... The Myanmar-China Oil Pipeline starting from Made Island in Kyaukpyu of West Myanmar, crosses four states before entering ... Work on the construction of the railway between Kunming and the Myanmar kyaukpyu was unilaterally suspended by Myanmar in 2014 ... Myanmar will only get an old and obsolete railway. Such concerns are superfluous. China will assure Myanmar a sustainable and ...
Myanmar | Freedom House
... the Myanmar Computer Federation, the Myanmar Computer Professionals Association, the Myanmar Computer Industry Association, ... 8. A4AI-Myanmar Coalition Meeting; Workshop on Gender-Responsive ICT Policy and Regulation; and Consultation on Myanmar ... 14 Myanmars first private undersea internet cable, the Myanmar-Malaysia-Thailand-International Connection (MYTHIC),15 is being ... www.wsj.com/articles/cronies-of-former-myanmar-regime-thrive-des… ; Michael Peel, "Myanmar: the military-commercial complex," ...
Myanmar | Freedom House
Myanmars transition from military dictatorship to democracy has faltered under the leadership of the National League for ... Our Work in Myanmar. Freedom House has been supporting civil society organizations in Myanmar since 2013. This has included ... Freedom in the World - Myanmar Country Report. Myanmars status declined from Partly Free to Not Free in the Freedom in the ... Freedom on the Net - Myanmar Country Report. Myanmar is rated Not Free in Freedom on the Net, Freedom Houses comprehensive ...
Myanmar's sectarian clashes claim more lives - CNN
The Hotel @ Tharabar Gate Review, Myanmar | Travel
State of emergency declared in Myanmar town
Mobs set fire to Muslim homes and mosques in frenzied sectarian rioting in a town in central Myanmar, leaving at least 20 ... MEIKHTILA, Myanmar (AP) - Mobs set fire to Muslim homes and mosques in frenzied sectarian rioting in a town in central Myanmar ... Burning fires from two days of Buddhist-Muslim violence that killed at least 20 people smoldered across a central Myanmar town ... The U.S. ambassador to Myanmar, Derek Mitchell, also said he was "deeply concerned about reports of violence and widespread ...
Best hotels in Myanmar (Burma) | Telegraph Travel
... budget hotels and Myanmar hotel deals. Read the reviews and book. ... The best hotels in Myanmar (Burma), chosen by our expert, ... Best hotels in Myanmar. The best hotels in Myanmar (Burma), chosen by our expert, including luxury hotels, boutique hotels, ... The lodge has an on-site vocational training centre for students from all over Myanmar to learn the hospitality trade, ...
China's chess match with Myanmar - CNN.com
Myanmar is set to hold its first elections in 20 years. * China is Myanmars closest ally since the military coup. * China is ... China is Myanmars second largest trading partner. It is keen to tap Myanmars mineral, timber and other natural resources ... Strategically, China needs Myanmar on its side, analysts say. With its fast-growing economy, China needs access to Myanmars ... A smooth election in Myanmar is in the fundamental interest of the Myanmar people and contributes to regional peace and ...
Myanmar's Tourism Boom Endangers Fragile Ecosystems
Myanmar, also known as Burma, has opened its doors to tourism and all that goes with it: hotel construction, pollution, waste- ... As Myanmar has opened up to the outside world over the past four years, the country has encouraged tourism as an important ... Myanmars Tourism Boom Endangers Fragile Ecosystems. The country has opened its doors to tourism and all that goes with it: ... A peddler sells snacks in front of a bus headed for Mandalay, an iconic tourist destination and Myanmars second largest city. ...
Chindwin River | river, Myanmar | Britannica.com
... northern Myanmar (Burma). The Chindwin is formed in the Pātkai and Kumon ranges of the Indo-Myanmar border by a ... Monywa, town, central Myanmar (Burma). It is situated on the left bank of the Chindwin River, about 60 miles (97 km) west of ... Chindwin River, main tributary of the Irrawaddy River, northern Myanmar (Burma). The Chindwin is formed in the Pātkai and Kumon ... ranges of the Indo-Myanmar border by a network of headstreams including the Tanai, Tawan, and Taron. Called Ningthi by the ...
Myanmar News - India Real Time - WSJ
What Better Myanmar Ties Mean for Indias Northeast. *. May 29, 2012 3:58 pm IST. ... Eid Among Myanmars Rohingyas in Delhi. *. Aug 21, 2012 1:08 pm IST. ... Timeline: A Short History of Myanmars Rohingya Minority. *. Dec 23, 2016 6:46 pm IST. ... What Indian MPs Could Teach Myanmar Lawmakers. *. May 30, 2012 2:21 pm IST. ...
Myanmar: Analysis of Farm Production Economics
Myanmars farms are well diversified, with most farms producing rice paddy during the monsoon season and other crops such as ... Myanmars wages are still very low compared to international standards with daily wage at $2 in the Delta and Dry Zones. ... Myanmar has the lowest profits from rice production compared to those achieved by farmers in Asias other rice bowls. In 2013- ... Myanmars farms are well diversified, with most farms producing rice paddy during the monsoon season and other crops such as ...
Myanmar Factory Workers Demand Higher Pay
Myanmar factory workers hold placards which read To get at least 4,000 kyat a day, as they stage a rally in Hlaingtharyar ... Myanmars current minimum wage is $2.65 per day.. Factory owners, many of them owned and operated by foreign-based garment ... Myanmars Garment Entrepreneurs Association has said that more than 30 factories with foreign investment have said they could ... Hundreds of workers demonstrated in Myanmar Sunday demanding the government approve a higher minimum wage. ...
Myanmar Declares Martial Law in Cities
Myanmar has declared martial law in its biggest cities following a third-day of widespread street protests in an effort to stem ... Feb.08 -- Myanmar has declared martial law in its biggest cities following a third-day of widespread street protests in an ... Myanmar Declares Martial Law in Cities. February 8, 2021, 8:24 PM. ...
Death toll in Myanmar protests rises
Residents of a protest flashpoint district in Myanmars biggest city fled on flatbed trucks and tuk-tuks after security forces ... 11 killed during anti-coup demonstrations in Myanmar. US and allies vow to restore democracy in Myanmar. UN warns of crimes ... Death toll in Myanmar protests rises Updated / Tuesday, 16 Mar 2021 07:39 ... China will continue to urge Myanmar to take concrete steps to stop all acts of violence and bring the perpetrators to justice ...
Rohingyas flee Myanmar violence | Reuters Video
Myanmar PM ousted, under house arrest
... (Agencies). Updated: 2004-10-20 08:00 ... prepare to hand the chair of the 10-nation ASEAN grouping to Myanmar in 2006. Some Myanmar watchers said the latest upheaval ... Myanmars prime minister has been ousted and put under house arrest after a lengthy power struggle in which hard-liners in the ... Myanmars state media said the retirement had been authorized by Senior General Than Shwe, the head of the junta, but gave no ...
Kyaingtong travel | Myanmar (Burma) - Lonely Planet
... is one of the most pleasant towns in Myanmar. In culture and appearance Kyaingtong feels closer to the hill towns of northern ... rival drug lords and the Myanmar military, but the area is now peaceful. The rugged terrain of eastern Shan State contributes ... Myanmar on a Shoestring. Amazing, surreal, largely untouched by modernity - there are a ton of ways to describe Myanmar (also ... Vietnam, Laos & Myanmar on a Shoestring. Theres no time like now to take on an epic adventure. (Seriously, like right now.) ...
YangonBurma20172016AuthoritiesReutersMyanmar'sAung San2021BangladeshEthnic201920202018IndiaThailandBurmeseUNICEF MyanmarReformsBuddhistSoutheast AsiaCountryMilitaryKachinSectarianUnion of MyanChina and MyanmarSpokesmanCyclone NargisDemocracyMandalayASEANSocial WelfarePeopleProtestsCountry'sArmyEnvoyRakhine StateBuddhistsShan StateRefugeesMinistry1989Malaria-related deathsOfficialsHealthcareElectionCrude oilTaro AsoSunday'sFarmersKyatGovernment of MyanDecadesInitiativeStrengthenCrisisWidespreadFiresCountriesMethamphetamine
- The Carter Center has had a presence in Myanmar since establishing an office in Yangon in October 2013. (cartercenter.org)
- St., Yangon, Myanmar. (wikipedia.org)
- formerly The New Light of Burma ) is a government-owned newspaper published by the Ministry of Information and based in Yangon , Myanmar . (wikipedia.org)
- 21, 2013 photo, armed Myanmar police oficers provide security around a smoldering building following ethnic unrest between Buddhists and Muslims in Meikhtila, Mandalay division, about 550 kilometers (340 miles) north of Yangon, Myanmar. (yahoo.com)
- Myanmar factory workers hold placards which read 'To get at least 4,000 kyat a day,' as they stage a rally in Hlaingtharyar township, in suburb of Yangon, July 12, 2015. (voanews.com)
- Chinese embassy in Myanmar as well as Chinese companies working in the country donated on Friday a bulk of relief materials to fire victims left homeless through a recent major fire in Yangon. (www.gov.cn)
- Police surrounded a monastery in the town of Letpadan where 300 students are camping en route from Mandalay to Yangon, the country's main city. (bbc.co.uk)
- YANGON, Aug 7 (Reuters) - The new United Nations human rights envoy to Myanmar met five prominent political prisoners on his first trip to the military-ruled Southeast Asian country, the envoy said on Thursday. (reuters.com)
- Yangon) - The government of Myanmar should promptly provide redress for past illegal confiscations of land, Human Rights Watch said in a report released today. (hrw.org)
- The 33-page report, "' Nothing for Our Land': Impacts of Land Confiscation on Farmers in Myanmar ," documents the devastating effects of land confiscations for farmers in southern Shan State and the Ayeyarwady and Yangon regions of Myanmar. (hrw.org)
- The 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ second leg qualifier between Myanmar and China PR, originally scheduled to be played in Yangon, will now take place in Malaysia on 28 October. (fifa.com)
- YANGON, Myanmar (AP) - Myanmar freed some of its most famous political inmates Friday, sparking jubilation outside prison gates while signaling its readiness to meet Western demands for lifting economic sanctions. (salon.com)
- A military transport plane with more than 100 people on board went missing Wednesday on a flight from southern Myanmar to Yangon, a military spokesman said. (popularmechanics.com)
- YANGON, May 6 2014 (IPS) - Between 2008 and 2013, when Myanmar remained largely closed off to the rest of the world, it suffered a terrible toll at the hands of nature that remained largely unknown. (ipsnews.net)
- New Zealander Philip Blackwood being led into a court in Yangon, Myanmar. (radionz.co.nz)
- The Myanmar side has thanked us for waiving their debts many times," Aso told reporters in Yangon. (taipeitimes.com)
- Burmese: မြန်မာ [mjəmà]) or Burma (Burmese: ဗမာ [bəmà]), officially the Republic of the Union of Myanmar, is a country in Southeast Asia. (wikipedia.org)
- The name of the country has been a matter of dispute and disagreement, particularly in the early 21st century, focusing mainly on the political legitimacy of those using Myanmar versus Burma. (wikipedia.org)
- In 1989, the military government officially changed the English translations of many names dating back to Burma's colonial period or earlier, including that of the country itself: Burma became Myanmar. (wikipedia.org)
- As part of this program, The Carter Center and the Women's League of Burma developed a set of documents to support a broader participation of women of ethnic political parties, which constitute a useful contribution toward an inclusive and sustainable peace in Myanmar. (cartercenter.org)
- The best hotels in Myanmar (Burma), chosen by our expert, including luxury hotels, boutique hotels, budget hotels and Myanmar hotel deals. (telegraph.co.uk)
- They paddle by twisting a leg around their oar and balancing on the end of elegant, hand-carved pirogues, creating a picture postcard of Myanmar , also known as Burma. (nationalgeographic.com)
- Chindwin River , main tributary of the Irrawaddy River , northern Myanmar (Burma). (britannica.com)
- The junta has responded to call for the restoration of democracy in Burma with bullets,' State Department spokesperson Jalina Porter said, using another name for Myanmar. (rte.ie)
- The military ruled Myanmar (also known as Burma) for decades, until the generals announced a transition in 2010 and handed power to a largely civilian government. (bbc.co.uk)
- Myanmar, also known as Burma, is roughly 90% Buddhist, the CIA World Factbook estimates. (cnn.com)
- BANGKOK, Apr 27 2012 (IPS) - Political reforms unfolding in Myanmar (or Burma) are giving health workers a chance to address a resurgence of drug-resistant falciparum malaria in the war-torn ethnic minority enclaves along the country's eastern borders. (ipsnews.net)
- But programmes to combat the spread of malaria in remote ethnic areas - often among the most vulnerable - need to address the link between disease prevalence and human rights violations in Myanmar, says Bill Davis, Burma project director for Physicians for Human Rights, a United States-based global campaigner for health and rights. (ipsnews.net)
- Here to tell us more about the situation on the ground in Myanmar, also known as Burma, is Chris Webster. (npr.org)
- The government of Myanmar (also known as Burma) has denied these accusations. (brookings.edu)
- The Name Debate: Burma Or Myanmar? (worldatlas.com)
- A pagoda in Myanmar (or Burma). (worldatlas.com)
- This article takes a closer look at one such case: the name debate between Burma and Myanmar. (worldatlas.com)
- The official language of Myanmar, also known as Burma and the Republic of the Union of Myanmar, is Burmese. (worldatlas.com)
- Myanmar is a more culturally inclusive term, and the English term Burma sounds similar to the colloquial term Bama. (worldatlas.com)
- Since Myanmar, then called Burma, gained independence from Britain in 1948, ethnic groups have been battling for greater autonomy. (nytimes.com)
- Myanmar is officially known as the Republic of the Union of Myanmar, but it is often referred to as Burma. (goldprice.org)
- On 19 November 2017, China proposed the establishment of a China-Myanmar economic corridor, starting in Southwest China's Yunnan Province, crossing the border, going through the economic center of Myanmar, Mandalay, then splitting into two legs. (globalsecurity.org)
- Children collect wood from remnants of some 20 boats that ferried Rohingya refugees fleeing violence in Myanmar, which were destroyed by Bangladeshi authorities the night before, at Shah Porir Dwip near Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh October 4, 2017. (reuters.com)
- In 2017, a Reuters investigation into the massacre of 10 Rohingya in Inn Din village prompted Myanmar police to entrap and arrest 2 of the news agency's reporters. (hrw.org)
- A Rohingya refugee man at the Bangladeshi side of the Naf river after crossing the border from Myanmar, near Palang Khali, October 16, 2017. (atimes.com)
- She, as Umme, had escaped Myanmar in August 2017. (counterpunch.org)
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had also visited and offered prayers at this historic temple during his trip to Myanmar in 2017. (yahoo.com)
- The Center kept a small team in Myanmar into 2016 to monitor post-election activities. (cartercenter.org)
- United Wa State Army soldiers during a media display in Panghsang, Wa territory in northeast Myanmar October 4, 2016. (atimes.com)
- Involved in the ECI programme since it began in Myanmar in 2016, Esther is one of the 15 professionals who completed this training. (unicef.org)
- IOM estimates there could be as many as 3 million Myanmar migrants living in Thailand as at 2016. (iom.int)
- The Myanmar government issued a statement saying it will award two nationwide telecommunications service licenses by the first half of 2013 to boost telecom coverage to 80 percent by 2016. (zdnet.com)
- Financial Reforms in Myanmar and Japan's Engagement ," Working Papers DP-2016-27, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA). (repec.org)
- Dozens of ancient structures dotting the plains of Bagan had suffered damages when a 6.8-magnitude earthquake struck central Myanmar in August 2016. (yahoo.com)
- I don't presume to say that I understand Myanmar, much less the political intricacies of the country (heck, I don't understand the politics of my own country, witness the 2016 elections. (travelblog.org)
- Authorities in both Myanmar and Thailand confirm that the manufacture of crystalline methamphetamine is now occurring in the Golden Triangle. (unodc.org)
- The World Bank Group is working in close collaboration with Myanmar authorities and other development partners to support Myanmar's power sector reform and the development and implementation of its power master plan. (worldbank.org)
- Authorities in Myanmar will release 23,184 prisoners from jails across the country on Saturday under a New Year amnesty, a Prisons Department spokesman said, though few if any democracy activists arrested since a Feb. 1 coup were expected to be among them. (msn.com)
- SHAH PORIR DWIP, Bangladesh (Reuters) - Bangladeshi authorities have destroyed about 20 boats that ferried Rohingya Muslims fleeing violence in Myanmar, accusing smugglers of using the huge exodus to bring methamphetamine into the country. (reuters.com)
- He said he had discussed with the authorities the possibility of a second mission to Myanmar, which has been under military rule for 46 years, before he reports to the U.N. Human Rights Council in March next year. (reuters.com)
- Myanmar authorities insisted before the meeting that talks would not he held with three of the seven ethnic armed groups active in the country's conflict-ridden north because they had taken up arms after the peace process began. (atimes.com)
- BANGKOK (AP) - Authorities in China and Myanmar are failing to stop the brutal trafficking of young women, often teenagers, from the conflict-ridden Kachin region for sexual slavery, according to a report by Human Rights Watch. (yahoo.com)
- The report said that Myanmar police and other authorities refused interviews by Human Rights Watch, although the Ministry of Social Welfare did provide some data. (yahoo.com)
- Recently the U.N. also highlighted disturbing reports of Myanmar authorities laying landmines along the Bangladesh-Myanmar border. (brookings.edu)
- Refugees who spoke to Reuters said they did not trust the Myanmar authorities to guarantee their safety. (msn.com)
- Caught between state censorship and self-censorship: Prosecution and intimidation of media workers in Myanmar shows how, despite Myanmar's much-touted "political opening" since 2011, authorities are relying on old and new methods to intimidate media and restrict freedom of expression. (amnesty.org)
- Yet widespread repression of media continues in Myanmar, as authorities rely on a range of draconian, vaguely formulated laws to imprison journalists. (amnesty.org)
- The international community also has a key role to play in pushing the Myanmar authorities to end the repression of media. (amnesty.org)
- Expansion into Myanmar comes as authorities work to improve public transport, having for the first time introduced regular bus lines, timetables and salaries for drivers. (yahoo.com)
- The majority of domestic news articles comes from the state-run Myanmar News Agency (MNA), whilst most international articles come from news services , particularly Reuters , which are published after censorship by the MNA. (wikipedia.org)
- A recent Reuters report noted that Myanmar was the only developing country in Southeast Asia where spending on the military is higher than combined spending on healthcare and education. (bangkokpost.com)
- Reuters identified and spoke to more than 20 of the roughly 2,000 Rohingya refugees on a list of people Myanmar has agreed to take back. (msn.com)
- SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Singapore-headquartered Grab launched a trial of its ride-hailing services in Myanmar on Tuesday, aiming to expand to a seventh Southeast Asian country, while rival Uber Technologies Inc [UBER.UL] said it was also looking to enter the market shortly. (yahoo.com)
- Although one armed patrol boat defected to the Karen insurgents, throughout the turbulent years of post independence in Myanmar, the navy was largely unopposed and maintained control over Myanmar's crucial inland waterways. (wikipedia.org)
- The China-Myanmar crude oil and gas pipeline, a pioneer project of the China-proposed Belt and Road Initiative, consists of a crude oil pipeline and a natural gas pipeline, which run from the port of Kyaukpyu on Myanmar's west coast to Ruili in China's Yunnan province. (globalsecurity.org)
- Made Island Port in Myanmar's western Rakhine state, where oil off-loading arms were erected, is now an important window of China-Myanmar economic and trade cooperation. (globalsecurity.org)
- Not surprisingly, the meeting - dubbed 21st Century Panglong after an agreement signed by Myanmar nationalist leader Aung San and Shan, Kachin and Chin representatives on February 12, 1947, which paved the way for Myanmar's independence - ended inconclusively. (atimes.com)
- The Foreign Ministry claimed the donations would "strengthen the Myanmar police's ability to carry out public security measures," create "social stability," and contribute to Myanmar's "socio-economic development. (hrw.org)
- BEIJING: China National Petroleum Corp (CNPC), the country's biggest oil and gas producer, announced on Monday it has signed an agreement with Myanmar's Energy Ministry to receive exclusive rights to build and operate the China-Myanmar crude oil pipeline. (chinadaily.com.cn)
- On January 6, 2021, the government of Myanmar and the UN Resident Coordinator's office co-hosted a joint meeting on Myanmar's LDC Graduation Process. (un.org)
- In Myanmar, that will not happen as the military is rock solid and led by an officer corps that considers itself elite and the guardian of Myanmar's core values. (dailypioneer.com)
- Myanmar President Thein Sein will make a five-day trip to Japan starting this weekend, marking the first visit to the country by a leader of the Southeast Asian nation in nearly three decades, while opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi is planning to make in June her first visits overseas-to Norway and the U.K.-since 1989. (wsj.com)
- An unprecedented court ruling leaves Myanmar and Aung San Suu Kyi in a tight spot. (foreignpolicy.com)
- The KNU, which controls territory in eastern Myanmar near the Thai border, is a close ally of the resistance movement against the military coup that ousted the elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi. (yahoo.com)
- It was the latest in a flurry of accelerating changes in Myanmar sought by the West, including starting a dialogue with opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, legalizing labor unions and Thursday's signing of a cease-fire in a long-running campaign against Karen insurgents. (salon.com)
- I think we are close to the removal of Western sanctions," said Monique Skidmore, a Myanmar expert at the University of Canberra, adding that the U.S. and others might first wait to see Aung San Suu Kyi take a seat in parliament. (salon.com)
- Myanmar activists display an anti-Chinese slogan and portrait of detained democracy leader, Aung San Suu Kyi during a demonstration in front of Myanmar embassy in Bangkok on Sunday. (npr.org)
- Myanmar is one of the five countries that will be reviewed by the Committee for Development Policy (CDP) in February 2021 and may be recommended for graduation from the category of least developed countries (LDCs). (un.org)
- Myanmar is bordered by Bangladesh and India to its northwest, China to its northeast, Laos and Thailand to its east and southeast, and the Andaman Sea and the Bay of Bengal to its south and southwest. (wikipedia.org)
- The project is important for the connectivity and infrastructure construction among the Bangladesh, China, India and Myanmar (BCIM) economic corridor, as well as China and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN). (globalsecurity.org)
- Hundreds of Rohingya Muslims fleeing escalating violence in Myanmar have been pouring into refugee camps in neighbouring Bangladesh. (reuters.com)
- One refugee, who asked not to be identified, said his relatives were among 6,000 people waiting in Myanmar to cross to Bangladesh by boat on Wednesday night. (reuters.com)
- Including the latest influx, about 1 million Rohingya, who were mostly stripped of their citizenship by a 1982 law passed by the military junta that then ruled Myanmar, now live in Bangladesh after fleeing periodic outbreaks of violence. (reuters.com)
- Myanmar and Bangladesh are also discussing a framework for returning the Rohingyas to Myanmar. (reuters.com)
- Migration within Myanmar and across its long borders, which cover Thailand, Laos, China, India and Bangladesh, is subject to a range of drivers which are complex and are critical in affecting how and why people decide to move. (iom.int)
- He fled to Bangladesh with over 600,000 other Rohingya after the Myanmar military, known as the Tatmadaw, launched brutal "clearance operations" in Rohingya-majority areas of northern Rakhine state in response to coordinated ARSA attacks on security personnel launched on August 25. (atimes.com)
- Both the New York Times and the BBC had been writing extensively about the Rohingya fleeing for their lives into Bangladesh as the Myanmar Army burned down their villages in southwest Myanmar. (counterpunch.org)
- Although Myanmar has refused to allow international fact-finding missions into the country, groups including the UN, Human Rights Watch, and Amnesty International, which interviewed Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh, have documented atrocities committed by security forces. (brookings.edu)
- Bangladesh and Myanmar agreed in late October to this month begin the repatriation of hundreds of thousands of Rohingya Muslims who fled across the border to escape a Myanmar army crackdown, even though the United Nations' refugee agency and aid groups say doubts persist about their safety and conditions in Myanmar should they return. (msn.com)
- More than 700,000 Rohingya Muslims crossed from Rakhine state, in mostly Buddhist Myanmar, into Bangladesh from August last year after Rohingya insurgent attacks on security forces triggered a sweeping military response. (msn.com)
- This week, the U.N.'s human rights investigator on Myanmar urged Bangladesh to drop the repatriation plan, warning that Rohingya still faced a high risk of persecution in Myanmar. (msn.com)
- Recent days have seen dozens of Rohingya in Myanmar and Bangladesh attempting to flee via sea to Malaysia, raising fears of a fresh wave of dangerous voyages. (msn.com)
- With a land mass as large as Britain and France combined, Myanmar shares borders with 40 percent of the world's population in India, China, Bangladesh and Thailand. (taipeitimes.com)
- Located in Southeast Asia, Myanmar is a sovereign state that shares borders with India, Bangladesh, Thailand, Laos and China. (goldprice.org)
- The Myanmar Navy played an important part in the government's fight against the ethnic and ideological insurgent groups which threatened the Union Government in its early days. (wikipedia.org)
- Conflict between the military and ethnic armed groups has gone on for decades in Myanmar. (cartercenter.org)
- The Thai general said Khin Nyunt's removal could lead to renewed fighting between ethnic groups and the government in multi-ethnic Myanmar, which has a long history of internal conflict. (chinadaily.com.cn)
- Kyaingtong was long caught in the crossfire between various ethnic armies, rival drug lords and the Myanmar military, but the area is now peaceful. (lonelyplanet.com)
- The second in a planned series of meetings between the Myanmar military, the government and various ethnic armed groups aimed at establishing peace in the country's decades-long civil war was concluded last week in the capital Naypyitaw. (atimes.com)
- Ethnic Karen guerrillas say they have captured a Myanmar army base near the border with Thailand, representing a morale-boosting action for those opposing the military's takeover of the country's civilian government in February. (yahoo.com)
- Due to recent political changes, our health workers have more freedom to access areas formerly restricted by the Burmese army," Mahn Mahn, secretary of the Back Pack Health Worker Team (BPHWT), a non-profit that has been attending to the health needs of nearly 200,000 ethnic minority people in Myanmar for over a decade, told IPS. (ipsnews.net)
- The Rohingya is an ethnic group in Myanmar that has been the subject of many recent worldwide reports. (counterpunch.org)
- A former Myanmar beauty queen has joined the ranks of ethnic insurgents opposing the ruling junta, posting photos of herself on Facebook in a jungle setting with an assault rifle. (yahoo.com)
- Myanmar does not recognize them as citizens or one of the 135 recognized ethnic groups living in the country. (cnn.com)
- Finally, Suu Kyi and the NLD seem to have concluded that any genuine change in the Constitution concerning federalism would be incomplete without finding a political solution to the ethnic insurgencies ravaging Myanmar. (telegraphindia.com)
- An on-and-off conflict between the central government and the tangled jumble of ethnic groups in northern and northeastern Myanmar is sometimes described as the world's longest-running civil war. (nytimes.com)
- In Myanmar, 15 fellows completed the program in 2019, and the next cohort will begin in early 2020. (cdc.gov)
- The International Labour Organization, in partnership with the Union of Myanmar Federation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry (UMFCCI), implemented an Enterprise survey in Myanmar which contributes to the 2019 global report on Women in Business and Management: produced by the Bureau for Employers' Activities (ACT/EMP). (ilo.org)
- As of 2020[update], according to the Human Development Index, Myanmar ranks 147 out of 189 countries in human development. (wikipedia.org)
- On July 2, 2020, Japan's Foreign Ministry announced a grant of 100 million yen (US$930,000) to the Myanmar police for the purpose of purchasing vehicles and wireless equipment for "protecting dignitaries. (hrw.org)
- FILE - In this March 21, 2018, file photo, Marip Lu sits in her family's shelter in a refugee camp in northern Kachin State, Myanmar. (yahoo.com)
- Myanmar anti-trafficking police said they handled 130 cases of trafficking, 96 of which involved women, in January-July 2018, the report said. (yahoo.com)
- A Memorandum of Understanding was subsequently signed between India and Myanmar for the conservation of earthquake-damaged Pagodas in Bagan in May 2018. (yahoo.com)
- The British East India Company seized control of the administration of Myanmar after three Anglo-Burmese Wars in the 19th century, and the country became a British colony. (wikipedia.org)
- Given its extensive migrant population, the widespread use of oral artemisinin-based mono therapies and its close geographical proximity to India, Myanmar is critical to the success of efforts to prevent the emergence of artemisinin resistance globally," the WHO adds. (ipsnews.net)
- India accounted for 66 percent, Myanmar 18 percent and Indonesia 10 percent. (ipsnews.net)
- According to officials, during the India visit of Myanmar President Htin Kyaw, India had agreed to offer technical and financial help for the conservation and restoration of the damaged structures and paintings at the site. (yahoo.com)
- India has learnt to play ball with more than one power centre in Myanmar. (dailypioneer.com)
- The majority of Myanmar gold is consumed by Asia, and this makes sense given the fact that two of the nation's neighbors, India and China, are two of the largest consumers of gold in the world. (goldprice.org)
- The Japanese government announced Tuesday that next month Myanmar President Thein Sein will make his first visit to Japan to meet Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda and attend the Mekong-Japan Summit, joining leaders from Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and Thailand. (wsj.com)
- Japanese companies have invested in Myanmar through other countries, especially neighbouring countries, like Thailand and Singapore. (nationmultimedia.com)
- So it is very important for Myanmar to increase the quality of products and, at the same time, to increase production for exports, as you need to compete with other Asean countries such as Thailand and Vietnam. (nationmultimedia.com)
- The study, conducted along the Thailand-Myanmar border, spanned a 10-year period that ended in 2010. (ipsnews.net)
- The World Health Organisation (WHO) has called for more attention to be paid to Myanmar - in addition to Cambodia, Thailand and Vietnam that are under watch - to manage resistance to artemisinin and its derivates. (ipsnews.net)
- 25. "The four countries most affected by resistance to artemisinin resistance are Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam and Myanmar. (ipsnews.net)
- In 2013, Htar Htet Htet represented Myanmar in the first Miss Grand International beauty pageant in Thailand. (yahoo.com)
- Deputy Tourist Police chief Maj-General Surachate Hakpan said the Myanmar Embassy had been notified about the missing violinist being found, and the Myanmar government has thanked Thailand for locating and taking care of its citizen. (nationmultimedia.com)
- SOUNDBITE) (Burmese) MYANMAR PRESIDENT, HTIN KYAW, SAYING: "Today's result is because of the love of the people for her. (reuters.com)
- Japan's Deputy Prime Minister Taro Aso, left, talks with Burmese Lower House Speaker Shwe Mann at the parliament in Naypyidaw, Myanmar, on Thursday. (taipeitimes.com)
- By forcing them to now call the country Myanmar, critics say minorities are forced to use a more Burmese-sounding name. (worldatlas.com)
- The official currency of Myanmar is the Burmese Kyat. (goldprice.org)
- The Burmese Kyat is issued and controlled by the Central Bank of Myanmar. (goldprice.org)
- Organized by the Ministry of Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement in collaboration with UNICEF Myanmar, the Leprosy Mission Myanmar and the New Life Foundation, this Assessment, Evaluation and Programming System refresher course includes a review of current theory, practical sessions along with home visits, carried out by participants working in pairs. (unicef.org)
- The project is aligned with the Bank's strategy in Myanmar, which focuses on delivering quick benefits to communities in support of the government's people-centered reforms. (worldbank.org)
- Tourism plays a vital role in Myanmar by reducing poverty, enabling employment opportunities, balancing social and economic development, and implementing political reforms,' reports the Ministry of Hotels and Tourism in its national plan. (nationalgeographic.com)
- Ms. Suu Kyi's decision to travel overseas is especially important because it shows she is growing more confident about the economic and political reforms in Myanmar over the past year. (wsj.com)
- The Japanese government is moving toward resuming development loans to Myanmar, joining a global campaign to endorse recent reforms-and seek opportunities-in the once-ostracized nation. (wsj.com)
- While the recent political reforms in Myanmar hold promise for the country's future, its long-neglected healthcare system faces a number of challenges before it can deliver effective and affordable care to the people. (bangkokpost.com)
- Burning fires from two days of Buddhist-Muslim violence that killed at least 20 people smoldered across a central Myanmar town Friday as residents cowered indoors amid growing fears the country's latest bout of sectarian bloodshed could spread. (yahoo.com)
- MEIKHTILA, Myanmar (AP) - Mobs set fire to Muslim homes and mosques in frenzied sectarian rioting in a town in central Myanmar, leaving at least 20 people dead and more than 6,000 homeless amid growing fears Friday that the latest bout of Muslim-Buddhist bloodshed could spread. (yahoo.com)
- Young women take selfies and send text messages near the Shwedagon Pagoda, the most important Buddhist shrine in Myanmar. (nationalgeographic.com)
- In Myanmar, it is a cultural and religious taboo to criticize Buddhist monks. (cnn.com)
- U Wie Douktah is a Buddhist abbot in Meiktila, Myanmar. (cnn.com)
- Pagodas in Myanmar typically house Buddhist relics, including relics associated with Buddha. (yahoo.com)
- Myanmar is the largest country in Mainland Southeast Asia and the 10th largest in Asia by area. (wikipedia.org)
- Myanmar is a globally recognized biodiversity hotspot that supports many species unique to Southeast Asia. (si.edu)
- Life expectancy is 56 years, 40% of all children under the age of 5 are moderately stunted, and Myanmar has more than 50% of all malaria-related deaths in Southeast Asia. (bangkokpost.com)
- However, it also noted that the quality of democracy in Myanmar continues to be undermined by serious deficiencies in the legal framework, including the reserved seats for military appointees, as well as by ongoing conflict in many areas of the country and by the exclusion of more than two million people from the electoral process because of violence or discrimination. (cartercenter.org)
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) established a country office in Myanmar in 2015. (cdc.gov)
- Country brief prepared by the ILO Liaison Office in Myanmar on the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on migrant workers, and country's responses. (ilo.org)
- 20 December 2010 - According to the latest Myanmar Situation Assessment on Amphetamine-Type Stimulants (ATS) , the manufacture, trafficking and consumption of synthetic drugs in the country and region is worsening. (unodc.org)
- While most of the drugs produced in Myanmar - both in terms of opiates and methamphetamine - are mainly destined for the international market, domestic use of ATS in the country is increasing. (unodc.org)
- Pro-democracy demonstrations in 1988 were violently crushed, with general Saw Maung taking over in a coup and installing the State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) to rule the country, now renamed Myanmar . (wikitravel.org)
- For a country like Myanmar that is just re-emerging from economic isolation, this is a huge undertaking. (worldbank.org)
- The association serves as a community for faculty and administrators in Myanmar to provide support, exchange ideas, network, and promote international education within the country and abroad. (iie.org)
- said Kanthan Shankar, Myanmar country manager . (worldbank.org)
- The gas pipeline has already become a key energy artery for Myanmar and the oil pipeline will play an increasingly important role for the country in the near future," he told China.org.cn on May 3, "The two pipelines help bring China and Myanmar closer. (globalsecurity.org)
- As Myanmar has opened up to the outside world over the past four years, the country has encouraged tourism as an important source of hard currency. (nationalgeographic.com)
- Some Myanmar watchers said the latest upheaval may be a battle over business interests in a country where the military controls the levers of the economy. (chinadaily.com.cn)
- Regionally, Myanmar has grown to be the largest migration source country in the Greater Mekong Sub-region (GMS). (iom.int)
- The figures may have raised eyebrows in Myanmar, given the official statistics that showed that aggregate investment from Japan in the country stood at only $387.4 million at the end of January 2014. (nationmultimedia.com)
- Within a country like Myanmar, several other pieces have to be in place for sustainable success. (forbes.com)
- First, as I shared last week , most policy analysts watching Myanmar are quick to point out, the country continues to struggle with a handful of unresolved political questions that have the potential to prove destabilizing, at least in the short-to-mid term. (forbes.com)
- Jovi Seet, who manages PriceWaterhouseCooper's efforts in Myanmar , noted that foreign direct investments into Myanmar are thus far being directed at many of the country's longest standing problem areas: "If you think about where the country most needs development - physical infrastructure, power, connectivity - there has been improvement in allowing FDI in these areas. (forbes.com)
- Even with increased investment in the healthcare sector, Myanmar faces a long list of challenges when it comes to improving healthcare in the country. (bangkokpost.com)
- Sumitomo, NEC, and NTT sign contract with Myanmar government to build an optical fiber network which can transmit data at 30 gigabit per second, linking three major cities in the country. (zdnet.com)
- But as the Disaster Risk Reduction Working Group of Myanmar noted in an extensive analysis last year of the nation's disaster preparedness levels, the dangers have been amplified because the country has been slow to take remedial measures against changing climate patterns. (ipsnews.net)
- The new military-ruled government renamed the country to the Union of Myanmar in 1989. (worldatlas.com)
- Opponents also suggest that the Myanmar (Myanma) term is not actually more inclusive of the multi-cultural society living within the country. (worldatlas.com)
- This area is ignored in the global conversation about Myanmar," said Jason Eligh, the Myanmar country manager of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. (nytimes.com)
- The income gap in Myanmar is among the widest in the world, as a large proportion of the economy is controlled by supporters of the military government. (wikipedia.org)
- The New Light of Myanmar is often viewed as propaganda on part of the Tatmadaw and the government, and features many articles about military officials. (wikipedia.org)
- Internet and mobile penetration have increased dramatically since the former military leadership allowed Norway's Telenor Group and Qatar's Ooredoo to enter the telecommunications market alongside state-owned Myanmar Post Telecommunication (MPT) in 2013. (freedomhouse.org)
- Feb.08 -- Myanmar has declared martial law in its biggest cities following a third-day of widespread street protests in an effort to stem the growing opposition to the military coup. (yahoo.com)
- Student activists were at the forefront of several major uprisings in Myanmar during military rule. (bbc.co.uk)
- Over the past 30 years, Myanmar government and military officials have seized vast swathes of land from farmers while providing them no or inadequate compensation, which denies them livelihoods and erodes access to basic services. (hrw.org)
- Land confiscations have long plagued the rural population of Myanmar under repressive military juntas. (hrw.org)
- BEIJING, Oct. 15 -- China will work with Myanmar to further improve military ties and jointly safeguard border stability, a senior Chinese military officer said on Tuesday. (globalsecurity.org)
- China attached great importance to the development of military ties with Myanmar and will continue to handle sensitive issues appropriately and cooperate in a mutually beneficial way, Fan said. (globalsecurity.org)
- The Myanmar police force, Border Guard Police, and security police battalions accompanied the military in so-called clearance operations that resulted in mass killings, rape, and arson. (hrw.org)
- The fighting took place three days after a meeting of Southeast Asian leaders to hammer out a plan to restore peace in Myanmar, where the military government has attempted to suppress widespread opposition to its rule through the use of lethal force. (yahoo.com)
- The various sanctions generally ban doing business with Myanmar, block financial transfers, especially by military-backed leaders and their cronies, and also deny visas to the same VIPs. (salon.com)
- U.N. investigators reported last fall on a fact-finding mission that found violence by the Myanmar military in Kachin, Shan and the western state of Rakhine. (yahoo.com)
- She lived in Myanmar until the Myanmar military started to burn the homes in other nearby Rohingya villages. (counterpunch.org)
- The next day the Myanmar military arrived at her village. (counterpunch.org)
- Umme and her father told me their family was running from their village that the Myanmar military was in the process of setting on fire. (counterpunch.org)
- It includes information on violations committed in military operations by the Myanmar army (known as the tatmadaw) and on tatmadaw policy and practices that have targeted civilians. (amnesty.org)
- Far from celebrating, the Myanmar military has made yesterday a day of horror and of shame,' EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said in a statement. (indiatimes.com)
- The condemnation came after the defence chiefs of 12 countries including the United States, Britain, Japan and Australia denounced the Myanmar military. (indiatimes.com)
- Myanmar has begun a remarkable transformation over the past two years, edging toward democracy and moving past the legacy of five decades of military rule. (nytimes.com)
- There is a similar situation in northern Myanmar, where the Kachin minority says it has captured several government outposts and has been the target of air attacks. (yahoo.com)
- A human rights group says the governments in Myanmar and China are failing to stop the brutal trafficking of young women from the conflict-ridden Kachin region for sexual slavery. (yahoo.com)
- Q&A: What's behind sectarian violence in Myanmar? (cnn.com)
Union of Myan1
- Moe Myint Kyaw, secretary general of the Union of Myanmar Federation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry (UMFCCI), admitted that the figures may be a bit outdated. (nationmultimedia.com)
China and Myanmar1
- China and Myanmar will contest the first leg of their preliminary in Foshan, in southern Guangdong province, on Sunday. (fifa.com)
- The person who signed the order said Khin Nyunt had been involved in corruption and not suitable to stay in his position," Thai government spokesman Jakrapob Penkair told reporters after a cabinet meeting in Mae Sot, a town near the Myanmar border. (chinadaily.com.cn)
- The two countries agreed on Monday to work on a repatriation plan, and a Myanmar government spokesman confirmed it would go along with it, provided people could verify their status with paperwork. (reuters.com)
- Foreign Ministry spokesman Masaru Sato said whether Japan will resume aid to Myanmar hasn't yet been decided, but the issue is being considered. (wsj.com)
- Sanctions or pressure will not help to solve the issue in Myanmar," Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao told a regular news conference in Beijing on Tuesday. (npr.org)
- Cyclone Nargis hit Myanmar just about four weeks ago, but the relief effort is still just crawling along. (npr.org)
- This time, however, there is hope that the election will move Myanmar a step closer to democracy. (csmonitor.com)
- The U.S. has not had an ambassdor in Myanmar since downgrading its representation after a 1988 pro-democracy uprising was bloodily quashed by the army. (salon.com)
- The New Light of Myanmar newspaper, a mouthpiece of the junta, printed a brief official announcement on its front page saying that Deputy Labor Minister Aung Kyi had been appointed "minister for relations" to coordinate contacts with Suu Kyi, the country's democracy icon who has been under house arrest for 12 of the past 18 years. (npr.org)
- The U.N. envoy's trip to Myanmar came after troops crushed pro-democracy demonstrations with gunfire on Sept. 26 and 27, prompting international condemnation. (npr.org)
- While the United States has warned that it would push for U.N. sanctions against Myanmar if it fails to move toward democracy, China has said it is against such action. (npr.org)
- He does not have much time if he is to return Myanmar to his vision of a disciplined democracy. (dailypioneer.com)
- Voters line up in Mandalay, Myanmar, to vote in Sunday's general election. (csmonitor.com)
- Myanmar is a member of the East Asia Summit, Non-Aligned Movement, ASEAN, and BIMSTEC, but it is not a member of the Commonwealth of Nations. (wikipedia.org)
- Yangon's intransigence has embarrassed its Southeast Asian neighbors as they prepare to hand the chair of the 10-nation ASEAN grouping to Myanmar in 2006. (chinadaily.com.cn)
- It called for the immediate cessation of violence, a dialogue among all concerned parties, mediation of the dialogue process by an ASEAN special envoy, provision of humanitarian aid through ASEAN channels, and a visit to Myanmar by the special envoy to meet all concerned parties. (yahoo.com)
- As the coup in Myanmar enters its fourth month with multiple centres of resistance taking root, it will take more than an Asean summit and its five-point consensus agreement to unlock the impasse. (dailypioneer.com)
- By travelling out of Myanmar, attending the Asean summit, meeting UN envoy Christine Burgene and returning to his citadel, Hlaing has scored a diplomatic victory. (dailypioneer.com)
- Representing the embassy and the companies, Chinese ambassador Guan Mu presented the materials to Myanmar Minister of Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement Major-General Sein Htwa at a ceremony held at the ministry. (www.gov.cn)
- Dr Min Thein, director of the disaster management department at the Ministry of Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement in Myanmar, said his team was preparing for 2,000 people to return. (msn.com)
- In addition, some of the people of Myanmar were excluded from the electoral process, in violation of their fundamental political rights. (cartercenter.org)
- With tuberculosis (TB) emerging as the leading cause of death among people living with HIV, CDC supports efforts to address the TB epidemic in Myanmar through health systems strengthening, as well as the implementation of the national tuberculosis prevalence survey. (cdc.gov)
- The project is the first step to bringing more and cleaner electricity to the people of Myanmar. (worldbank.org)
- In Myanmar, where over 70 percent of the people have no access to electricity, turning on the lights is an urgent priority. (worldbank.org)
- The actions of these outlaws are not in the interests of Myanmar and its people,' he told reporters in Beijing. (rte.ie)
- Ambassador Guan expressed sympathy over the fire victims who lost their homes, while the Myanmar minister said thanks to the Chinese side for the donation, briefing the donors the story of the fire that left 1,700 households with a total number of 9,000 people homeless. (www.gov.cn)
- That made me one of the first people to use a personal computer in Myanmar. (wired.com)
- Of the 53.9 million people living within Myanmar, 70 per cent live in rural areas. (iom.int)
- WHO studies reveal that close to 40 million people, nearly 69 percent of the population, live in malaria endemic zones in Myanmar. (ipsnews.net)
- The state-run paper criticized the international community for not pledging enough money to the relief effort, and calling the 150-million-dollar pledge so far, quote, "chocolate bars," and saying the people of Myanmar can take care of themselves by surviving on, quote, "fresh vegetables that grow wild in the fields, and on protein-rich fish from the rivers," end quote. (npr.org)
- As people in Myanmar go to the polls later this year, a free press will be more important than ever to inform the public about the choices they face and strengthen their access to information. (amnesty.org)
- On Saturday, at least 107 people were killed across Myanmar as security forces opened fire on protesters. (indiatimes.com)
- We urge the Myanmar Armed Forces to cease violence and work to restore respect and credibility with the people of Myanmar that it has lost through its actions. (indiatimes.com)
- They hope to complete construction of all necessary facilities by the end of November, and provide operational support between December and mid-January to enable Myanmar people to utilize the new facilities. (zdnet.com)
- With the help of Japan and its technology, we will be able to create jobs for the people and enter a new age of economic development," said Win Aung, who heads the Myanmar side of the consortium. (taipeitimes.com)
- In its 73-year history, the Myanmar Army has never fought foreigners but its own people in internal wars. (dailypioneer.com)
- I don't recall seeing anyone in Myanmar smoking, but there were people preparing and selling betel quids on every street corner, and pretty much everyone who smiled at you showed you red-stained, broken teeth. (travelblog.org)
- Myanmar police have responded to criticism and protests with arbitrary arrests and excessive and unnecessary force. (hrw.org)
- China, meanwhile, reiterated its stance that international sanctions would not resolve the crisis in Myanmar, where massive anti-government protests have been met by a violent crackdown from security forces. (npr.org)
- Anti-coup street protests are continuing across Myanmar, despite the risk of injury or death at the hands of junta forces. (yahoo.com)
- Published by UNODC, the report indicates that the impact of methamphetamine and other ATS trafficked from Myanmar affects not only the country's immediate neighbours but also parts of East and South-East Asia. (unodc.org)
- The high-level of representation of the Myanmar government, which included H.E. U Soe Win, Minister of Planning Finance and Industry, deputy ministers and the Permanent Representatives to the UN in New York and Geneva, sends a positive signal in terms of the country's commitment to navigating the graduation process and, if recommended for graduation, ensuring a smooth transition out of the LDC category. (un.org)
- Sumitomo and two business allies, NEC and NTT Communications, have concluded a contract with the Myanmar government to build an optical fiber telecommunications network to link the country's three major cities. (zdnet.com)
- However, the country's unclear regulatory regime and ICT infrastructure which does not support business growth meant telcos and service providers looking to enter Myanmar must advance with caution. (zdnet.com)
- It followed the deadliest day so far in the six weeks since the army deposed Ms Suu Kyi's government, with the AAPP reporting 74 killed on Sunday after the violent suppression of anti-coup unrest across Myanmar. (rte.ie)
- But with the fighting between the Myanmar army and various Karen insurgent groups now largely over, and the 2013 opening of the frontier paving the way for Asian Highway 1 (AH1) to be Southeast Asia's first real transnational conduit, Myawaddy is now a booming trading post. (lonelyplanet.com)
- Myanmar jets have bombed and strafed Karen villages since March 27, and its army has deployed new battalions to the area, in possible preparation for a large-scale offensive. (yahoo.com)
- The appointment was suggested by U.N. special envoy Ibrahim Gambari during his visit to Myanmar earlier this month, the statement said. (npr.org)
- Kyaukpyu in Rakhine State, which is the second most undeveloped state in Myanmar. (globalsecurity.org)
- Myanmar Is Now Attacking Buddhists in Rakhine State, Too. (foreignpolicy.com)
- In Rakhine State, the Myanmar police operate the majority of checkpoints, which play a central role in the severe violation of Rohingya freedom of movement in the state. (hrw.org)
- Though many Rohingya have only known life in Myanmar, they are viewed by Rakhine's estimated three million Buddhists as intruders from across the border. (cnn.com)
- In 2009, seizures of pills in Myanmar and the countries immediately bordering Shan State tripled compared to the previous year, a trend which has continued in 2010. (unodc.org)
- This week on Issues in the News, prominent Washington correspondents discuss topics making headlines around the world, including North Korea's continued missile testing, and the plight of tens of thousands of Rohingya refugees displaced by violence in Myanmar. (voanews.com)
- The IIE Myanmar Higher Education Initiative trains Ministry officials and university representatives in Myanmar on how to create and manage an effective international relations office. (iie.org)
- The course currently offers training to education professionals and Ministry officials from Myanmar, giving them the tools to develop and manage an international office. (iie.org)
- In response to Human Rights Watch's inquiry of whether the Japanese government has conducted human rights due diligence to make sure that the aid won't be used for further human rights violations, the Japanese Foreign Ministry said it has "confirmed with the Myanmar government that this aid be used and maintained for said purposes in an appropriate, effective, and exclusionary manner. (hrw.org)
- While official estimates are that Myanmar only receives $118 million USD in remittances in 2015, the then Ministry of Labour, Employment and Social Security estimated that remittances could be as high as $8 billion USD. (iom.int)
- For example, according to a 2012 annual report published by the Myanmar Ministry of Health, rural health centres have only increased from 1,337 to 1,565 since 1988. (bangkokpost.com)
- In 1993, the Working People's Daily ( လုပ်သားပြည်သူနေ့စဉ် ), a state-run newspaper that first appeared in 1963, was renamed the New Light of Myanmar in 1989. (wikipedia.org)
- In 2010, Myanmar reported 650,000 cases and 788 malaria-related deaths, according the WHO. (ipsnews.net)
- Though officials say no-one will be forced to return against their will, all say they have been terrified since learning this month their names were on the list prepared by Bangladeshi officials and vetted by Myanmar. (msn.com)
- New Delhi, Oct 5 (PTI) The Indian government is working on the restoration and conservation of pagodas in Myanmar that suffered damages due to a severe earthquake four years ago, officials said. (yahoo.com)
- After a brief disruption due to the pandemic followed by suspension of work owing to extreme weather conditions, the Indian government has restarted the restoration and conservation of pagodas in Myanmar, officials said. (yahoo.com)
- When Myanmar opened to the West, one of the first sectors multinationals were most excited to pursue was the healthcare market. (forbes.com)
- While government spending on healthcare is increasing, much of what will drive the growth for multinationals in Myanmar will be out of pocket spending by individual consumers. (forbes.com)
- Third, for multinational healthcare companies, the Myanmar government's expanded funding for healthcare over the last twelve months is an important signal for further investment. (forbes.com)
- Improved healthcare along eastern Myanmar could not have been timed better because of emerging concern over possible genetic mutation of the Plasmodium falciparum that makes the deadly parasite resistant to artemisinin, the most effective anti-malaria drug. (ipsnews.net)
- While the increase is promising, Myanmar remains one of the world's lowest countries in terms of total money allocated to healthcare. (bangkokpost.com)
- According to the World Bank, Myanmar is in the lowest percentile for government effectiveness, regulatory quality, and control of corruption-all key factors when it comes to ensuring that the increased spending on healthcare reaches intended targets. (bangkokpost.com)
- Patients seeking care on the Thai-Myanmar border report that bribery is a common and a widely accepted aspect of getting healthcare in Myanmar. (bangkokpost.com)
- Because Myanmar faces a long road in rebuilding its ailing healthcare system, a strategic and measured approach must be employed. (bangkokpost.com)
- The Carter Center has primarily worked to support the election observation efforts of the New Myanmar Foundation and its network of civil society groups, Election Education and Observation Partners. (cartercenter.org)
- The election commission said it found fraud in all constituencies, calling errors in voter registrations "premeditated" mistakes, according to an announcement in the state-run Global New Light of Myanmar newspaper. (bangkokpost.com)
- The pipeline has a designed transmission capacity of 22 million tons of crude oil per year, with Myanmar taking two million tons for its own needs. (globalsecurity.org)
- The oil pipeline, built by the joint venture South-East Asia Crude Oil Pipeline Co. Ltd., is owned by China National Petroleum Corp (CNPC) holding a 50.9 percent stake and Myanmar Oil and Gas Enterprise (MOGE) the remainder. (globalsecurity.org)
- In January, Japanese Finance Minister Taro Aso confirmed to Myanmar President Thein Sein that Japan would waive much of its 500 billion yen ($5.4 billion) in debt and offer Y50 billion in fresh loans. (marketwatch.com)
- Japan's Deputy Prime Minister Taro Aso confirmed fresh financial aid for Myanmar on Friday during a visit to an industrial zone that underlined the long-isolated nation's growing importance as an economic partner. (taipeitimes.com)
- China said it was 'very concerned' for the safety of its citizens in Myanmar after Sunday's violence - which state media said saw more than 30 factories attacked and caused $37 million in damage. (rte.ie)
- Many in Myanmar who lost their lands resorted to working as manual laborers, making only a few thousand Myanmar Kyat (a couple of US dollars) per day. (hrw.org)
Government of Myan2
- The COVID-19 Impact Assessment on Employment and Labour Market in Myanmar presents the findings to help guide the Government of Myanmar and the social partners in their unrelenting efforts to support affected businesses and vulnerable workers. (ilo.org)
- In 2014, the World Bank helped the Government of Myanmar develop a comprehensive and ambitious National Electrification Plan with support from the Bank's Energy Sector Management Assistance Program (ESMAP). (worldbank.org)
- Widespread land confiscations across Myanmar have harmed rural communities in profound ways for decades," said Phil Robertson , deputy Asia director. (hrw.org)
- The Myanmar Biodiversity Initiative builds on more than 25 years of Smithsonian experience to study and sustain biodiversity in this hotspot. (si.edu)
- Led by Conservation Ecology Center scientist Melissa Songer, the initiative leverages institution-wide expertise and resources to study and conserve the biodiversity of Myanmar through research and capacity building. (si.edu)
- Using this knowledge, the initiative strives to promote science and increase conservation capacity with local collaborators to ensure the long-term survival of species, landscapes and ecosystems in Myanmar. (si.edu)
- Myanmar is also part of Smithsonian's Working Land and Seascapes Initiative , which works with partners and stakeholders to understand the complex processes that underpin the function and health of landscapes. (si.edu)
- CDC also works to strengthen surveillance and laboratory systems to help Myanmar better tackle its HIV, malaria and tuberculosis epidemics. (cdc.gov)
- Myanmar will continue to strengthen strategic mutual trust and cooperation with China so as to safeguard the common interest of the two nations, he said. (globalsecurity.org)
- In Myanmar, the pandemic could ultimately lead to a socioeconomic crisis if the right policies and plans are not well designed and implemented. (ilo.org)
- The U.S. ambassador to Myanmar, Derek Mitchell, also said he was "deeply concerned about reports of violence and widespread property damage in Meikhtila. (yahoo.com)
- It has been more than been two years since this town in Myanmar burned with the fires of deadly violence. (cnn.com)
- In 2015, the $ 20 billion rail link from Kunming to Kyaukpyu is expected to complete the transportation of Middle Kingdom goods to Myanmar and adjacent Indian Ocean countries. (globalsecurity.org)
- The protection of migrants within Myanmar and in their destination countries is a national priority for the Government. (iom.int)
- So if we calculate and combine FDI from Japan and investment by Japanese companies located in other countries, around 20 per cent of foreign investments in Myanmar are from Japan, directly and indirectly. (nationmultimedia.com)
- Speaking on this, Deepika Naruka, East Asia and the Pacific Regional Coordinator for the Global Synthetics Monitor: Analyses, Reporting and Trends (SMART) Programme , noted: "There are indications that the methamphetamine problem in Myanmar is becoming more severe. (unodc.org)
- In 2009, large seizures of high purity crystalline methamphetamine were made in Myanmar. (unodc.org)
- Over the past decade, Myanmar has become a key ATS producer in the region, particularly with regard to methamphetamine pills. (unodc.org)