A republic consisting of an island group in Melanesia, in the southwest Pacific Ocean. Its capital is Suva. It was discovered by Abel Tasman in 1643 and was visited by Captain Cook in 1774. It was used by escaped convicts from Australia as early as 1804. It was annexed by Great Britain in 1874 but achieved independence in 1970. The name Fiji is of uncertain origin. In its present form it may represent that of Viti, the main island in the group. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p396 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p186)
The collective name for the islands of the Pacific Ocean northeast of Australia, including NEW CALEDONIA; VANUATU; New Hebrides, Solomon Islands, Admiralty Islands, Bismarck Archipelago, FIJI, etc. Melanesia (from the Greek melas, black + nesos, island) is so called from the black color of the natives who are generally considered to be descended originally from the Negroid Papuans and the Polynesians or Malays. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p748 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p344)
An archipelago in Polynesia in the southwest Pacific Ocean, comprising about 150 islands. It is a kingdom whose capital is Nukualofa. It was discovered by the Dutch in 1616, visited by Tasman in 1643, and by Captain Cook in 1773 and 1777. The modern kingdom was established during the reign of King George Tupou I, 1845-93. It became a British protectorate in 1900 and gained independence in 1970. The name Tonga may be of local origin, meaning either island or holy. Its other name, Friendly Islands, was given by Captain Cook from the welcome given him by the natives. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p1219 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p549)
Significant decline in economic activity spread across the economy, lasting more than a few months, normally visible in real gross domestic product, real income, employment, industrial production, and wholesale-retail sales. (National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, www.nber.org/cycles.html, accessed 4/23/2009)
Institute of Medicine (U.S.)
Identifies, for study and analysis, important issues and problems that relate to health and medicine. The Institute initiates and conducts studies of national policy and planning for health care and health-related education and research; it also responds to requests from the federal government and other agencies for studies and advice.
Any of several processes in which undesirable impurities in water are removed or neutralized; for example, chlorination, filtration, primary treatment, ion exchange, and distillation. It includes treatment of WASTE WATER to provide potable and hygienic water in a controlled or closed environment as well as provision of public drinking water supplies.
Waste Disposal, Fluid
As a result, sugar cane that had been damaged by Sina was left rotting in Fiji's fields until the Fiji Sugar Corporation ... "Fuji escapes major cyclone damage". Pacific Stars and Stripes. Associated Press. November 30, 1990. p. 9. Retrieved September ... Ahead of the system affecting Fiji, hundreds of people were evacuated from Fiji's outer island resorts to hotels on the ... hundreds of people were evacuated from Fiji's outer island resorts to hotels on the mainland. As the cyclone affected Fiji high ...
"Leaders raise food security concerns". Fiji Times. 23 April 2010. Archived from the original on 2012-08-25. Retrieved 30 April ... In November 2009 Prime Minister Natapei, facing another vote of no confidence, organized a second major cabinet reshuffle. ... "Vanuatu PM counters challenge with major reshuffle". Radio New Zealand International. 2009-11-18. Retrieved 2009-11-20. " ...
... is a Fijian politician and retired Major-General of the Fiji Military who has been President of Fiji since 2015. After ... "Major General Jioji Konousi Konrote". Adventist News Network. Retrieved 18 October 2018. (9 June 2005). Fiji envoy attends ... His days as a pupil at Natabua High School in Lautoka, Fiji, are described in the prize-winning book on Fiji Kava in the Blood ... "Fiji swears in new president". Radio New Zealand International. 12 November 2015. Retrieved 15 November 2015. "Fiji's first ...
Semi Kunabuli Kunatani OF (born 27 October 1990) is a Fiji rugby union player. He plays for the Fiji sevens team and also Top ... Semi was a major factor in the final playing a significant role in 4 tries of the first half. This saw Semi join Osea KOLINISAU ... Naisa Koroi (February 15, 2015). "Rampaging Semi". Fiji Sun. Shelvin Singh (February 27, 2015). "Injuries keep Fiji 7s star ... Kunatani debuted for Fiji in 2013 Dubai Sevens tournament. Kunatani started his career playing rugby in the local 7's ...
CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) "Rugby: Losing streak forces major changes at Highlanders". The New Zealand Herald. 2 ... "Otago's Mather sighted for dangerous tackle". Fiji Broadcasting Corporation. 14 August 2007. Archived from the original on 17 ...
National responses to the COVID-19 pandemic
"PM announces major restrictions due to COVID-19". Fiji Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 2 April 2020. News, Indra Singh ... However, on 19 March, Fiji confirmed its first case of COVID-19 in Lautoka. As a precautionary measure, the Government of Fiji ... "Fiji toughens on border entry amidst coronavirus concerns". Fiji Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 2 April 2020. "Coronavirus ... the Government of Fiji announced a travel ban to China. As the disease started spreading to other countries, Fiji extended the ...
Fiji Writers' Association. p. 144. ISBN 978-982-328-001-1. Hood, John W. (2000). The Essential Mystery: The Major Filmmakers of ...
"Digicel sponsors provincial rugby: $13,000 for major unions". The Fiji Times. 1 June 2008. Archived from the original on 14 ... In 2011, Mobile Money in Fiji was expanded to allow transfers to and from Australia and New Zealand at no cost. In February ... That same year, Digicel became the sponsor of the Digicel Cup for rugby in Fiji. In April 2013, Digicel was announced as the ... "Digicel announced as major sponsor for Caribbean Premier League". St. Lucia News Online. 16 April 2013. Edwards, Al (30 ...
1927 New Year Honours
Major Francis Trent Stephens OBE MC Chief Commissioner of Police, Nyasaland Protectorate. Jese, Constable, Fiji Constabulary. ... Major Richard Ludwig Bagge DSO JP DL For political and public services in Norfolk. George William Barber JP Chairman of the ... Major George Richard James Hennessy OBE JP MP Vice-Chamberlain of the Household since December, 1925. Lord Commissioner of the ... Major-General Harry Christopher Tytler CB CMG CIE DSO Indian Army, General Officer Commanding, Burma Independent District. ...
Malani, Joji (2002-12-03). "Evaluation of the effects of Kava on the Liver" (PDF). Fiji School of Medicine. Archived from the ... Dihydrokavain is one of the six major kavalactones found in the kava plant. It appears to contribute significantly to the ...
1953 Coronation Honours (New Zealand)
Major Clifford Allen Borman - New Zealand Territorial Force; of Upper Hutt. Major Denis Alfred Caughley - Royal New Zealand ... Sergeant David Scott Galloway - Royal New Zealand Air Force; of Laucala Bay, Fiji. Commander George Raymond Davis-Goff DSC - ... Captain (Temporary Major) Vincent George Skilton - 16th Field Regiment, Royal New Zealand Artillery. Ordnance Artificer (2) ... Major (temporary) Geoffrey James Austin - New Zealand Territorial Force; of Auckland. ...
Li Y, Mei H, Wu Q, Zhang S, Fang JL, Shi L, Guo L (Dec 2011). "Methysticin and 7,8-dihydromethysticin are two major ... Malani, Joji (2002-12-03). "Evaluation of the effects of Kava on the Liver" (PDF). Fiji School of Medicine. Archived from the ... Methysticin is one of the six major kavalactones found in the kava plant. Research suggests that methysticin and the related ...
Exercise Croix du Sud
Croix du Sud' military exercise in New Caledonia Fiji invited as observer". Embassy of France in Fiji. French Ministry of ... "FANC : fin de l'exercice Croix du Sud 2014". État-major des armées. Ministère de la Défense, République française. 9 September ... "Troops On Joint Military Exercise". Fiji Sun Online. Sun (Fiji) News Limited. 9 December 2016. Retrieved 9 December 2016. "The ... Chile: observers Fiji: observers an infantry platoon, patrol boat RFNS Kula, France: patrol ship D'Entrecasteaux. New Caledonia ...
1956 New Year Honours
Filimone Canimanu Raiqiscv Field Officer, Agricultural Department, Fiji. Major Henry Courtenay Rooks. For public services in ... Army Major (G.C.O.) Bagdhan Rai, MBE, MC, (388436), 10th Princess Mary's Own Gurkha Rifles. Major Arthur Broadley, MBE, TD, ( ... Major Arthur Harold Bibby, DSO, DL. For political and public services in Lancashire and Cheshire. Major Reginald Bullin, OBE, ... Major-General David John Muil, OBE, QHDS, LDS, (23169), late Royal Army Dental Corps. Major-General Francis Joseph O'Meara, QHP ...
Epeli Qaraninamu Nailatikau
"Labour nominates Major Dr Epeli Nailatikau to the Senate". The Fiji Labour Party (FLP). 23 September 2004. Retrieved 2 January ... the Fiji Times quoted him as saying. According to the Fiji Sun, he also called for politics and religion to be clearly ... He was nominated on 24 September 2004 by the Fiji Labour Party, to fill a vacancy caused by the death of former Senator Joeli ... Under the Constitution of Fiji, the Leader of the Opposition nominates 8 of the 32 Senators. The eight nominees of the Leader ...
Taukei ni Waluvu
Author of the Sherlock Holmes of Fiji. Major Josefa S George, Military Officer, 1FIR Malaya, Company Commander and NLC Officer ... "For Fiji ever Fiji - Fiji Times Online". Fijitimes.com. 2 March 2009. Retrieved 6 March 2010. Fiji Times Nailalakai,'Na tabua ... Fiji", 1988 and "Rituals, Habitus and Hierarchy in Fiji," 1992. In "Rituals, Habitus and Hierarchy in Fiji", Turner studied the ... Fiji, 2009. Hill tribes of Fiji, p. 148. Robert Nicole, Disturbing History: Resistance in Early Colonial Fiji, University Of ...
1930 New Year Honours
Army Major Walter Scott Blackett VD Quartermaster, Ceylon Mounted Rifles. Major (temporary Lieutenant-Colonel) Arthur Butler ... Salesi Sivaro, Constable, Fiji Constabulary. Roy Godfrey Bullen Spacer MC Commissioner of Police, Kenya. Tang Chew, Detective, ... Major Dudley Leigh Aman DSC JP For public and political services. The Right Honourable Sir Willoughby Hyett Dickinson KBE JP DL ... Major The Honourable Cecil James Campbell, Legal Secretary to the Financial Adviser to the Egyptian Government. Roland John ...
The company also had major financial interests in Lloyd's of London; The Manera company; Las Brisas Resort in Acapulco, Mexico ... Pacific Harbor hotel in Fiji; Beirut Riyadh bank; and the bank of Contra Costa. Khashoggi's Triad real estate holdings included ...
1938 Birthday Honours
Major Cedric Llewellyn Longstaff, TD JP DL. For political and public services. Major Cyril Clarke Boville Morris, MC MIMechE, ... John Murchie Wilson, MBE, Colonial Customs Service, Comptroller of Customs, Fiji. Norman Wilson Kelly, Burma Frontier Service, ... Major-General Geoffrey Taunton Raikes, DSO (late The South Wales Borderers), Half-Pay. Major-General William George Holmes, DSO ... Major-General Pierse Joseph Mackesy, DSO (late Royal Engineers), Half-Pay. Major-General Desmond Francis Anderson, CMG (late ...
Dong Jin Kim
In 1988, Kim moved to Fiji. From 1989 through 2000, Kim served in the Fiji Military Forces where he reached the rank of Major. ... the Fiji Intelligence Service, the protection detail for the President of Fiji, the Fiji Police Academy, and the Fiji Military ... During this time he founded the Fiji Hapkido Association and the Fiji Kendo Association. Kim also conducted combative and ... defensive tactics training for various law enforcement and military agencies including the Fiji Prison Service, ...
1966 New Year Honours
Major-General Eustace John Blois Nelson, CB, DSO, MVO, OBE, MC. Major-General Llewelyn Wansbrough-Jones, CB, CBE. Major-General ... Frances Lilian Charlton, Principal, Adi Cakobau School, Fiji. Chiu Lut-sau. For services to the community in Hong Kong. Meta ... Major Benjamin James Harrold (406567), Royal Corps of Transport. Major John Guy Frederick Head (360126), Irish Guards. Major ( ... Army Major-General Basil Oscar Paul Eugster, CBE, DSO, MC (65413), late Foot Guards. Major-General Peter James Glover, OBE ( ...
"Fiji parliamentary committee recommends major changes to bill". Radio New Zealand International. 1 December 2005. Retrieved 23 ... "Fiji election bidding crosses party boundaries". Radio New Zealand International. 30 May 2006. Retrieved 22 January 2011. " ... who was convicted and imprisoned for offences relating to the Fiji coup of 2000. Tugia was considered one of the more moderate ...
He also represents Fiji's national team. His preferred position is prop. Tawake signed for Major League Rugby side Rugby United ... Tawake made his debut for Fiji in the 2020 Autumn Nations Cup. "Samu Tawake". Ultimate Rugby. Retrieved 30 January 2021. "Re- ... of Major League Rugby (MLR) in the United States. ... New York ahead of the 2021 Major League Rugby season. He had ...
1934 New Year Honours
Major-General Russell Mortimer Luckock CMG DSO (late The King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster)). Half-Pay List. Major-General ... Frank Colbran Turner Lord, Manager in Fiji of the Colonial Sugar Refining Company. For public services. Cecil McMahon MC ... Major Alfred Villiers MBE Indian Army Ordnance Corps, late Chief Ordnance Officer, Ordnance Depot, Lahore, India. Major ( ... Major Ralph George Campbell Glyn MC DL MP Member of Parliament for the Clackmannan and Eastern Division, 1918-22, and for the ...
2020 saw major departures to the Rebels squad as Wallabies Adam Coleman, Quade Cooper, Will Genia and Jack Maddocks all ... Rebels media unit (30 January 2011). "Rebels v Fiji" (Press release). Melbourne Rebels. Retrieved 31 January 2011. Rebels media ... David Wessels was appointed the new coach, moving from the Force, and major signings were made in Australian international ... Schlink, Leo (5 October 2010). "Major Melbourne Rebels sponsorship in bank". Herald Sun. News. Retrieved 6 October 2010. Wyatt ...
1949 New Year Honours
Ratu George Toganivalu, Roko Tui Ba, Fiji. Major Frank Denis Warren, MC. For public services in Nyasaland. Stephen Herbert ... Major-General Euan Alfred Bews Miller, DSO, MC, ADC, (11736), late Infantry. Major-General Hetman Jack Parham, CBE, DSO, ADC, ( ... Army Major-General and Chief Paymaster Cecil Norbury Bednall, OBE, MC, (18038), Royal Army Pay Corps. Major-General Geoffrey ... Major-General Gerard William Egerton Heath, CBE, DSO, MC, (10669), late Royal Regiment of Artillery. Major-General Frank St ...
1946 New Year Honours (MBE)
Warrant Officer Class II (Sergeant-Major) Samu Aporosa, Fiji Military Forces. Major (temporary) Alexander Glynn Arkle (134096 ... Major Frank Warhurst (94892), Royal Corps of Signals. Major (acting) Willie Warick (94111), Pioneer Corps. Major (temporary) ... Major (temporary) Ernest Major (91683), Royal Tank Regiment, Royal Armoured Corps. Major (temporary) Richard Frederick Adrian ... Major (temporary) Michael Geogiadi (E.C. 866), 18th Royal Garhwal Rifles, Indian Army. Major (temporary) Ghulam Farid (I.E.C. ...
1965 New Year Honours
Major-General Eustace John Blois Nelson, DSO, MVO, OBE, MC, late Foot Guards. Major-General Marshall St John Oswald, CBE, DSO, ... For public services in Fiji. Durward Knowles. For public services in the Bahamas. Li Yiu-bor, JP. For public services in Hong ... Major Michael Penry Bull (379456), Corps of Royal Engineers (now R.A.R.O.). Major Keith Burch (418208), The Royal Anglian ... Major-General John Anthony Jervis Read, CBE, DSO, MC, late Infantry. Major-General Robert Alexander Stephen, CBE, QHS, MD, ChM ...
1944 Birthday Honours
Major Clarence Ayearst, Royal Canadian Army Pay Corps. Major James Duncan Kenneth Black, ED, Royal Canadian Artillery. Major ... John Anthony Moore, Inspector, Fiji Police Force. Abdi Nur, Corporal, Kenya Police Force. Charles William Pantry, ... Major Lucien-Alfred Lacroix, Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps. Major Phyllis Helena Lee Wright, Canadian Women's Army Corps. Major ... Major Alexandre Gagnon, Royal Canadian Army Service Corps. Major John Thomas Harper, Canadian Infantry Corps. Major Howard ...
Summary of major disasters in Fiji 1985 - March 2010 (PDF) (Report). Fiji's National Disaster Management office. October 13, ... After affecting both Fiji and Wallis and Futuna, Fran became the fourth of five tropical cyclones to impact Vanuatu during the ... Total damage from the system was AU$8-10 million (1992 AUD). Moderate damage was also reported in Fiji. In New Caledonia, the ... However, it was estimated by the Fiji National Disaster Management Office, that Fran had caused a minor-moderate amount of ...
3: 1934-51 (1994), The major scholarly history; highly detailed.. *Davies, A. J. To Build a New Jerusalem: Labour Movement from ... Labor Relations: Major Issues in American History (2005) over 100 annotated primary documents excerpt and text search ... Major Problems In The History Of American Workers: Documents and Essays (2002) ... The third major multi-sector union in Belgium is the liberal (classical liberal) union General Confederation of Liberal Trade ...
Arya Samaj in Singapore
In 1927, Arya Samaj was established in Singapore in a shophouse in Rowell Road.. In 1942 till 1945, during the Second World War the activities of the Arya Samaj was interrupted by the Japanese occupation of Singapore.. In 1963, the Arya Samaj movement's present building at Syed Alwi Road was opened by Mollamal Sachdev, whose family gave generously to the building fund.. In 2014, on 1 and 2 November, Arya Samaj Singapore celebrated International Arya Conference (Hindi: अंतर्राष्ट्रीय आर्य महा सम्मलेन) to mark the 101 years of Arya Samaj movement.. In 2015, inaugural International Yoga Day (Hindi: अंतर्राष्ट्रीय योग दिवस) was celebrated by the Arya Samaj.. ...
Wikipedia:In the news/Candidates/December 2006
Fiji now has a new President in Bainimarama, and an interim PM in Jona Senilagakali. The 2006 Fijian coup d'état article needs ... It's nearly as important as a major election - Dion will be the new Leader of the Opposition and will be the main challenger of ... Despite the magnitude of the quake, this doesn't seem to be a major disaster afterall. --PFHLai 17:33, 27 December 2006 (UTC) ... Could you elaborate a little bit and explain why this is major international news, please ? Not everyone (okay, not me, at ...
The changes have been considered an attempt to build a consensus among major Galician philology trends and represent, in the ... Language unification would also have the benefit of linking the Galician language to another major language with its own ... argue that they have become separate languages due to major differences in phonetics and vocabulary usage, and, to a lesser ...
The World's Major Languages. Croon Helm, London and Sydney. ISBN 0-19-506511-5.. ... also tatsamas and reborrowings from Sanskrit and other major borrowings from Persian, Arabic, Austroasiatic languages and other ...
Chief of Staff of the United States Army
Sergeant Major of the Army. References. *^ "General George Casey - Chief of Staff Army". Archived from the original on 11 ... From 1864 to 1865, Major General Henry Halleck (who had previously been Commanding General) served as "Chief of Staff of the ...
Abortion - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Parity is a major determinant of success rate in medical abortion: a retrospective analysis of 3161 consecutive cases of early ...
Other major specialties. The following are some major medical specialties that do not directly fit into any of the above- ... The major shift in medical thinking was the gradual rejection, especially during the Black Death in the 14th and 15th centuries ... The first major class of antibiotics was the sulfa drugs, derived by German chemists originally from azo dyes. ...
Major gold rushes took place in the 19th century in Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Canada, South Africa and the United States ... Vatukoula Gold Rush, Fiji, 1932. Rushes of the 1970s. *Serra Pelada, Brazil ...
Among his major commissions of this period were three altars for the Chapel of San José in Toledo (1597-1599); three paintings ... During these years he received several major commissions, and his workshop created pictorial and sculptural ensembles for a ... In Toledo, El Greco received several major commissions and produced his best-known paintings. ... a major force in the abstract expressionist movement, was also influenced by El Greco. By 1943, Pollock had completed sixty ...
The major theories put forward include soul creationism, traducianism, and pre-existence. According to soul creationism, God ... Protestants generally believe in the soul's existence, but fall into two major camps about what this means in terms of an ...
This problem has been identified in ancient Greek philosophy and remains a major focus of philosophical debate. This view ... Incompatibilism is the position that free will and determinism are logically incompatible, and that the major question ...
Its major uses in commercially prepared food products are as a thickener, sweetener, and humectant (an ingredient that retains ...
Yakthungpan (Limbu language) is one of the major languages spoken and written in Nepal, Darjeeling, Kalimpong, Sikkim, Bhutan, ...
Lê Văn Viễn, Major General of the Vietnamese National Army and head of Bình Xuyên, a powerful Vietnamese crime syndicate ... Chợ Lớn, Ho Chi Minh City is historically a major financial district and business networking hub for Hoa in Vietnam. ... Almost all the major import items such as machinery, transport equipment, and building materials, and luxury goods were ... Chinese retail shops filled every major Vietnamese town and sea route as rice selling and transportation were some of the most ...
It was during this period of confinement that Sartre read Martin Heidegger's Being and Time, later to become a major influence ... Throughout the occupation, it was German policy to plunder France and food shortages were always a major problem as the ... Sartre wrote successfully in a number of literary modes and made major contributions to literary criticism and literary ... Sartre's major work of fiction was The Roads to Freedom trilogy which charts the progression of how World War II affected ...
A major study of the issue in 2016, published in Fortune Magazine in the U.S., concluded that approximately 2.1 million ... Judaism is not a major religion in Ivory Coast, but Jews can still be found scattered throughout the country. ... A major focus was clean water and salinisation. Experts working on this field have designed the WASH concept. WASH focuses on ... As of 2012[update], major equipment items reported by the Ivory Coast Army included 10 T-55 tanks (marked as potentially ...
Ci - Wicipedia
Ci Mawr Canis Major. *Cŵn bendith y mamau neu gŵn wybr: cŵn y Tylwyth Teg (a oedd yn rhagflaenu cynhebryngau) ...
Most major universities and many colleges have a major, school, or department in which academic degrees are awarded in the ... The first volume of Marx's major work, Das Kapital, was published in German in 1867. In it, Marx focused on the labour theory ... Some economists think that crowding out is always an issue while others do not think it is a major issue when output is ... Increased trade in goods, services and capital between countries is a major effect of contemporary globalization. ...
"Major Agglomerations" (PDF). censusindia.gov.in. Archived (PDF) from the original on 17 October 2013. Retrieved 25 January 2014 ...
... which were also major points of contact, especially with the Portuguese traders who settled Macau in the 16th century. The ...
Major1. *Bell (Cablevision for Val-d'Or, QC, MTS for Manitoba). *Cogeco (Ontario, Quebec) ... Pacific Broadcasting Services Fiji. *Pearl Digital TV. *Pra International Green Group India ...
The three major clades of Neotropical parrots originated about 50 Mya (range 57-41 Mya). ... Among the earliest instances were pet red shining-parrots from Fiji, which established a population on the islands of southern ... and the Pacific islands as far eastwards as Fiji. The true parrot superfamily, Psittacoidea, includes a range of species ... Sequence analysis of an intron of the spindlin W and Z gene reveals four major divisions of the Psittaciformes". Molecular ...
Major American corporations spent $345 million lobbying for just three pro-immigration bills between 2006 and 2008. ... Fiji Independent Commission Against Corruption. *Central Vigilance Commission (India). *Corruption Eradication Commission ( ...
The USA and Western Europe have a very important agricultural sector, and are major players in international agricultural ...
Because of its high tensile strength and low cost, it is a major component used in buildings, infrastructure, tools, ships, ... In addition, it sees widespread use in major appliances and cars. Despite growth in usage of aluminium, it is still the main ...
Major topics of the letters include medical care for the soldiers and the poor, the role of nursing, and sanitation and public ... Elaine Showalter called Nightingale's writing "a major text of English feminism, a link between Wollstonecraft and Woolf." ... In 2008, Mark Bostridge published a major new life of Nightingale, almost exclusively based on unpublished material from the ...
History of European Jews in the Middle Ages
There too, although Jews still loaned small sums to Christians and Muslims, "Jewish usury" ceased to be a major topic of public ...
All major governments at the time of drafting the U.N. charter and the Universal declaration did their best to ensure, by all ... the OAS made major efforts to reinvent itself to fit the new context. Its stated priorities now include the following: ... Two major revolutions occurred during the 18th century, in the United States (1776) and in France (1789), leading to the United ... including representatives from all continents and all major religions, and drawing on consultation with leaders such as Mahatma ...
United States Department of State
... the Counselor is the Secretary's and Deputy Secretary's special advisor and consultant on major problems of foreign policy. The ...
The Fiji Times » Tonga undertakes major maritime rescue exercise
Tonga has this week carried out its first-ever maritime search and rescue exercise, involving all the relevant agencies.. It was done in the waters to the north of Nukualofa with a multi-agency response to the sinking of the inter-island ferry.. It tested the interoperability of command, control and communication as well as logistical support.. The Police Search and Rescue National Commander, deputy commissioner Atunaisa Taumoepeau, said Tonga faces unique challenges when it comes to maritime search and rescue especially with the way their islands are spread out over so much ocean.. ...
Major Causes of Death - Fiji Bureau of Statistics
Big Turnout At Major Tadu Funeral | Fiji Sun
A big crowd turned up to the funeral service of the late Major Amelia Tadu yesterday at the Republic of Fiji Military Forces ... The Fiji Airways Flying Fiji-ans will need to score a con-vincing win over Uruguay this Sunday (Fiji time) to boost th... ... Big Turnout At Major Tadu Funeral. Last march out of the Queen Elizabeth Barrack for the late Major Amelia Tadu with son Jason ... A big crowd turned up to the funeral service of the late Major Amelia Tadu yesterday at the Republic of Fiji Military Forces ...
RFMF Draws Own Course For Regimental Sergeant Majors | Fiji Sun
The first Republic of Fiji Mili-tary Forces Regimental Ser-geant Majors course (RSM) is underway at the RFMFs Offic-ers ... FijiFiji SunRepublic of Fiji Mili-tary Forces Regimental Ser-geant MajorsRFMF Media Cell ... RFMF Draws Own Course For Regimental Sergeant Majors. Participants during the Republic of Fiji Military Forces Regimental ... Fiji International 2017 Teeing Off For Another Successful Year The PGA Fiji International 2017 tournament will be held from the ...
Answers about Fiji
... officially known as the Republic of Fiji, is an island nation in Melanesia in the South Pacific Ocean about 1,100 nautical ... Fijis most major trading partners are Australia and New Zealand.. Hope i helped :) ... Fiji. Fiji, officially known as the Republic of Fiji, is an island nation in Melanesia in the South Pacific Ocean about 1,100 ... Fiji is the cross road of the Pacific. It is the main habour for both ships and planes coming from the west to the east of the ...
Country Profile - Fiji
Fiji has just become a member of ITTO. Major initiatives taken towards sustainable forest management, include:. (a) Fiji Forest ... 3. Major Groups: N/A.. 4. Finance: N/A.. 5. Regional/International Cooperation: N/A.. AGENDA 21 CHAPTERS 23-32: MAJOR GROUPS. ... 3. Major Groups: 4. Finance: 5. Regional/International Cooperation: STATISTICAL DATA/INDICATORS. 1985. 1990. 1992. Latest 1996 ... 3. Major Groups: Fiji Sugar Corporation, Department of Environment, Native Land Trust Board, Land Conservation Board, National ...
Kiribati Residents Moving to Fiji because of Sea Level Rise | PlanetSave
Major Global Coral Reef Bleaching Events Predicted For.... Plastic Found in Nine Percent of Garbage Patch.... ... Kiribati Residents Moving to Fiji because of Sea Level Rise. by Zachary Shahan 1 comment ... However, some of Kiribatis residents have already moved - to Fiji, New Zealand, and Australia - in anticipation of such a need ... is now in the process of planning a move of all of its inhabitants to Fiji. The island nation just sits a few feet above sea ...
Fiji Infantry Regiment - Wikipedia
Kanishk KANISHK, Major Chauhan. "Mornings would not be the same..." (PDF). Golan The UNDOF Journal. 140 (July - September 2014 ... The Fiji Infantry Regiment is the main combat element of the Republic of Fiji Military Forces. It is a light infantry regiment ... The Fiji Defense Force saw extensive use throughout the war, and after the Solomon Islands Campaign the demobilization of Fiji ... CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) WW II - The defence of Fiji WW II - Training in Fiji WW II - Guerillas in the Solomons ...
Agenda 21 - Fiji
Decision-Making: Major Groups Involvement Private sector involvement in housing is encouraged, and it is more active in the ... This information is based on Fijis submission to the 5th Session of the Commission on Sustainable Development, April 1997. ... This information is based on Fijis submission to the 5th Session of the Commission on Sustainable Development, April 1997. ... This information is based on Fijis submission to the 5th Session of the Commission on Sustainable Development, April 1997. ...
SCIENCE/HEALTH/CLIMATE/NATURE | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED
Major M7.8 Earthquake Hits Fiji Region. By: alexmark. Tags: *CURRENT EVENTS. *SCIENCE/HEALTH/CLIMATE/NATURE ... Two major lakes in the Colorado River Basin that operate as one huge reservoir to supply millions of people with water are ... Major opioid maker to pay for overdose-antidote development. Tags: *CONSUMER RIGHTS / PRODUCT REPORTS ... M 8.1 - 115km ESE of Suva, Fiji. Tags: *SCIENCE/HEALTH/CLIMATE/NATURE ...
List of wars involving Fiji - Wikipedia
ISBN 978-0-521-00465-7. Major James M. Kimbrough IV (6 November 2015). Disengaging From Insurgencies: Insights From History And ... This is a list of wars involving Fiji or Colony of Fiji. Zimmerman documents the participation by native Solomon Islanders in ... 302-. ISBN 978-0-520-02393-2. "The Literature of the 1987 Fiji Coup".. ...
Fiji | Smore Newsletters
Fiji - This is my flyer about by Isaac Mabry , This newsletter was created with Smore, an online tool for creating beautiful ... Some of the major landforms of Fiji are the Tomanivi and Mount Uluigalau ... Religions of Fiji the main religion of fiji are Christianity,Hinduism,and Islam ... The people of fiji are very diverse some of them are the sihks,Chinese ,Indians,Gujaratis,and Tamil. There are a lot more ...
GoGreen Solutions & Sustainable Freight Transportation | DHL Global Forwarding | Fiji
Figure 3 - Role of Environmental Factors in Shaping Spatial Distribution of Salmonella enterica Serovar Typhi, Fiji - Volume 24...
... and decreased with increased distance from major rivers and creeks (OR 0.89/km increase, 95% CI 0.80-0.99) and distance to ... Risk for exposure to Salmonella Typhi and its spatial distribution in Fiji are driven by environmental factors. Our findings ... Hotspots with high seroprevalence of Vi-specific antibodies were identified in northeastern mainland Fiji. Risk for Vi ... a marker for exposure to Salmonella Typhi in Fiji in 2013. ... Fiji recently experienced a sharp increase in reported typhoid ...
Lautoka plans for 2019 feat - Fiji Times Online
Major League Baseball is back with a 162-game schedule and actual humans in the stands - KESQ
The Latest: Fiji locks down hospital over coronavirus death Husband of missing Colorado mother charged with her murder ... Major League Baseball is back with a 162-game schedule and actual humans in the stands. ... The club would become the first major US sports team to play before a full house since the coronavirus pandemic began shutting ... After an abbreviated 2020 season that is now a blur, Major League Baseball returns Thursday with all 30 teams in action before ...
Flag Counter » Fiji
Fijis sugar remains a significant industry and a major export. The sugar industry reforms since 2010 have improved ... conventional short form: Fiji local long form: Republic of Fiji/Matanitu ko Viti local short form: Fiji/Viti etymology: the ... Fiji TV, a publicly traded company, operates a free-to-air channel, as well as Sky Fiji and Sky Pacific multi-channel pay-TV ... Fiji Population: 915,303. 7 VISITORS FROM HERE!. « Previous Country , Next Country » Back to Flag Counter Overview. ...
Flag Counter » Fiji
Fijis sugar remains a significant industry and a major export. The sugar industry reforms since 2010 have improved ... conventional short form: Fiji local long form: Republic of Fiji/Matanitu ko Viti local short form: Fiji/Viti etymology: the ... Fiji TV, a publicly traded company, operates a free-to-air channel, as well as Sky Fiji and Sky Pacific multi-channel pay-TV ... FijiFirst [Aiyaz SAYED-KHAIYUM] Fiji Labor Party or FLP [Mahendra CHAUDHRY] Fiji United Freedon Party or FUFP [Jagath ...
Fiji locks down 400-patient hospital after COVID death
Wellington: Soldiers and police in the Pacific nation of Fiji have surrounded and locked down a major hospital, after a patient ... Fijis health system is ill-equipped to deal with a major outbreak. ... The 53-year-old at Lautoka Hospital was only the third person to die from the virus in Fiji, which has about 1 million people. ... The Lautoka Hospital in Fiji is one of two hospitals managed by Canberra company Aspen Medical under a 23-year partnership the ...
Fiji cyclone: Death toll rises to 42, relief teams deployed | world | Hindustan Times
Care spokesperson Dylan Quinnell said preventing disease outbreaks was a major challenge. ... Fiji cyclone: Death toll rises to 42, relief teams deployed The death toll from super-cyclone Winston jumped to 42 Wednesday as ... Fiji in support of Operation Fiji Assist. (AFP) ... the first in Fijis history, which is already simply being ... "Im 75 years old and the damage Ive seen, the extent of the damage, this must be the worst thing in living memory for Fiji," ...
Fiji Coral Reefs Project | Marine Ecosystem-Based Management
Major Strategies. Fijis Vatu-i-Ra and Cakau Levu Reefs Seascape Project employs a variety of strategies that include:. * ... Approximately 90 percent of land in Fiji is owned by customary landowners, who hold land in communal title. In addition, Fijis ... Fijis Vatu-i-Ra and Cakau Levu reefs, located between Viti Levu and Vanua Levu, and in the northern section of Vanua Levu, ... Most of Fijis growing population lives on or near the coast on the two islands that comprise the majority of the countrys ...
Materials World - All features | IOM3
Tobacco industry in Fiji: Business Report 2018
This report is a comprehensive research of tobacco industry in Fiji. The first two chapters of the report feature the country ... Fiji foreign trade 2.4. Current investment climate 2.5. Labor market overview. Current employment state. 2.6. Ratings by major ... 6. FIJI ECONOMY NEWS AND ANALYSIS DIGEST. *Please note that Tobacco industry in Fiji: Business Report 2018 is a half ready ... This report is a comprehensive research of tobacco industry in Fiji.. The first two chapters of the report feature the country ...
FAO Fisheries & Aquaculture - Country Profile
PIFS - Major political initiatives, some natural resource economics; leads trade negotiations with EU, which have a major ... The roadmap was adopted by the leaders of Fiji, New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu in June 2015. ... Two major river systems, the Sepik/Ramu and the Fly/Purari, are quite extensive and provide most of the freshwater fish harvest ... One of the major research projects is the PNG Inland Aquaculture Research Project, which began in August 2015. The project ...
Tuberculosis, Fiji, 2002-2013 - Volume 22, Number 3-March 2016 - Emerging Infectious Diseases journal - CDC
Tuberculosis (TB) remains a major cause of illness and death globally (1,2). Fiji, which comprises 332 islands and a total land ... Finally, although some major hospitals (e.g., private practices or the Colonial War Memorial Hospital, Suva, Fiji) participate ... In Fijis 4 divisions during the study period, the highest average CNR was reported from the Central Division (22.5 cases/ ... In 2013, Fijis Ministry of Health estimated a population of 882,860 persons. The public health system is organized into 4 ...
TBW: A powerful magnitude 6.6 rocks Fiji Islands: 88th major quake of 2018 and 78 of them have occurred along The Pacific Ring...
Its the twelfth major quake of September, a very deep, 551.2 km, magnitude 6.6 rocks Fiji Islands, however, no tsunami warning ... A powerful magnitude 6.6 rocks Fiji Islands: 88th major quake of 2018 and 78 of them have occurred along The Pacific Ring Of ... 2021! The highest number of major quakes ever recorded in the first 65 days of a year! In all 42 major quakes, mag 6 or higher ... It is the 88th major quake of 2018 and 78 of them have occurred along The Pacific Ring Of Fire. Quakes. Front Page. ...
Fiji Dairy Farmers Still Waiting for Assistance - The Cattle Site
Some dairy farmers in Fiji say they are still waiting for government assistance after Cyclone Winston nearly a year ago, and ... Major meatpackers refuse to pay worker benefits for COVID-19 infections and deaths. 30 September 2020 ... FIJI - Some dairy farmers in Fiji say they are still waiting for government assistance after Cyclone Winston nearly a year ago ...
Travellers' Guide To Fiji - Wiki Travel Guide - Travellerspoint
... wiki travel guide to Fiji with information, photos, activities, maps, travel tips and more. Created by the amazing members of ... All major towns have post offices which are operated by Fiji Post. There is also a branch at Nadj International Airport. ... Ask stevieh a question about Fiji *. Odinnthor. I first came to Fiji working on one of the first cruise ships that docked in ... Accommodation in Fiji. Use our map of places to stay in Fiji to explore your accommodation options and to compare prices across ...
Fiji - Fabulous - Island Travel
Fiji is directly north of New Zealand, and within a degree of perfect. These islands have everything one could want in a ... Denarau Island Resort (www.denarau.com) is a major resort area very close to Nadi. Sheraton, Westin, Hilton, Radisson and ... No trip to Fiji would be complete without a visit to a Fijian village, or without seeing a fire walking show.. Fiji Essentials ... Jean-Michel Cousteau Fiji Islands Resort. (www.fijiresort.com) Possibly the "greenest" resort in Fiji, this property is set on ...
Health | About Fiji | Rough Guides
Fiji presents few major health issues for visitors. The most common problems are sunburn and/or heat stroke caused by ... Fiji presents few major health issues for visitors. The most common problems are sunburn and/or heat stroke caused by ... Island paradise: the best resorts in Fiji. Fiji is about as close to paradise as you can get. This South Pacific archipelago, ... No vaccinations are required to enter Fiji unless you are coming from a yellow fever area, in which case you need to have an ...
Suva201820162019Fijian2017Vanua LevuFijiansRepublic of FIslandsWorld'sNadiWinstonZealand20201970Colony of FSouth AfricaYasawa IslandSecond CycloneSamoaIndigenousFiji'sRugbyHindiLevuWatersReefsHospitalWaterfallDivisionalCauses of DePeopleIndiansKadavuMeghan'sMelanesiansLautokaQuakePopulationCropsGitaGovernment'sRevenueDiabetesCentresAustraliaHostsIsland nationClimateGeneral electionMinistry of Health and Medical ServiHospitalsConversionsNCDs
- Please refer to the Department of Births, Deaths and Marriages in Suva, Fiji Islands for details and more information. (answers.com)
- I would like to thank the Government of Fiji for its invitation, and am particularly grateful to Ambassador Nazhat Shameem Khan, Second Secretary Robyn-Ann Elizabeth Mani, and the UN Resident Coordinator's office in Suva for their invaluable assistance in arranging this visit. (ohchr.org)
- Suva, Fiji A park in Suva, Fiji. (britannica.com)
- What is the name of the school we teach at in Suva, Fiji? (gooverseas.com)
- Please note that Tobacco industry in Fiji: Business Report 2018 is a half ready publication. (marketpublishers.com)
- While the population is just short of one million, Fiji is an upper middle-income country that boasts a well-developed tourism infrastructure that attracted over 870,000 tourists in 2018. (state.gov)
- U.S. exports to Fiji grew by 58 percent in 2018 following the purchase of new Boeing aircrafts. (state.gov)
- Two-way trade with Fiji totaled about USD 325.8 million in 2018. (state.gov)
- Luke Masirewa of New Zealand drops the ball against Fiji in the semi final during the 2018 New Zealand Sevens at FMG Stadium on February 4, 2018 in Hamilton. (odt.co.nz)
- A handout photo taken on 21 February, 2016 and obtained on 22 February, shows the damage to the settlement of Tavua on the main Fiji island of Viti Levu. (hindustantimes.com)
- Winston hit Fiji hard in February 2016. (ohchr.org)
- A tree blocks a road after it was blown down by the encroaching cyclone Winston in Nakasi, Fiji, Feb. 20, 2016. (voanews.com)
- Cyclone Winston killed 44 people in Fiji in 2016, and Cyclone Pam claimed 11 lives and damaged 65,000 homes in Vanuatu in 2015. (telegraph.co.uk)
- If you are using an older version of Fiji (pre-2016), you will need to upgrade to Java 8 and install a newer version . (openmicroscopy.org)
- John Daly has been slammed for creating a ridiculous sideshow at the second major of 2019. (warwickdailynews.com.au)
- Students entering the University of San Diego and/or declaring a major during 2019-2020, should follow information contained in the printed course catalog (also known as the "catalog of record") published on April 1, 2019. (sandiego.edu)
- Prior to this, Fijian infantry was formed as a Territorial battalion, with additional rifle companies, as part of the Fiji Defence Force. (wikipedia.org)
- With the Fijian independence in later years, the 1st Battalion was reactivated, this time under the control of the independent government of Fiji. (wikipedia.org)
- iTaukei 56.8% (predominantly Melanesian with a Polynesian admixture), Indian 37.5%, Rotuman 1.2%, other 4.5% (European, part European, other Pacific Islanders, Chinese) note: a 2010 law replaces 'Fijian' with 'iTuakei' when referring to the original and native settlers of Fiji (2007 est. (flagcounter.com)
- The Lautoka Hospital in Fiji is one of two hospitals managed by Canberra company Aspen Medical under a 23-year partnership the company has entered into with the Fijian government. (smh.com.au)
- Shangri La's Fijian Resort & Spa (www.shangri-la.com) is the largest resort hotel in Fiji. (bellaonline.com)
- No trip to Fiji would be complete without a visit to a Fijian village, or without seeing a fire walking show. (bellaonline.com)
- Fiji is virtually untouched in many places, with a great range of memorable experiences available, from the possibility to discover virgin grasslands and tropical rain-forests as well as marvel at the exotic customs of the Fijian, Indian, Chinese, Rotuman and other cultures that have made Fiji their home. (charterworld.com)
- I also had a meeting with a wonderful group of Fijian children (kindly organized by UNICEF), and traveled to the village of Vunidogoloa, the first community in Fiji, and one of the first in the world, that was relocated because of climate change. (ohchr.org)
- Although the indigenous Fijian people are usually classified as ethnically Melanesian , their social and political organization is closer to that of Polynesia , and there has been a high level of intermarriage between Fijians from the Lau group of islands of eastern Fiji and the neighbouring Polynesian islands of Tonga . (britannica.com)
- The land ownership situation in Fiji is complex and the Land Sales Act restricts ownership of freehold land inside city or town council boundaries to Fijian citizens. (state.gov)
- SYDNEY Fijian Prime Minister Frank Bainimarama was set to win re-election on Thursday, with a provisional count showing his Fiji First party holding a comfortable lead, although some voting has been delayed due to bad weather in the South Pacific nation. (reuters.com)
- The PGA Fiji International 2017 tournament will be held from the 17-20th of August this year. (fijisun.com.fj)
- Throughout 2017, the Government of Fiji, together with the World Bank and the Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery (GFDRR) , have brought together experts from across a variety of areas-economic modelling, social protection, health, transport and infrastructure-to produce a significant new body of research to help better understand, and put clear numbers around, the impacts and costs of climate change for Fiji. (worldbank.org)
- The sugar industry, although a major employer, struggles to modernize since preferential sugar quotas from the European Union ended in 2017. (state.gov)
- A boy sits on a log in the village of Vunisavisavi in Fiji, on Oct. 16, 2017. (ecowatch.com)
- 7th/8th Battalion, Fiji Infantry Regiment: The 7th/8th Battalion was formed by the amalgamation of the 7th and 8th Battalions, and is responsible for the defence of the Vanua Levu region. (wikipedia.org)
- www.fijiresort.com) Possibly the "greenest" resort in Fiji, this property is set on Savusavu Bay on the island of Vanua Levu. (bellaonline.com)
- Two major islands in Fiji include Viti Levu and Vanua Levu. (charterworld.com)
- The two major islands, Viti Levu and Vanua Levu , account for 87% of the total population of 883,483. (wikipedia.org)
- 42 Fijians now confirmed dead -- disaster officials continue to deploy teams to help those affected across Fiji," government spokesman Dan Gavidi tweeted, raising the toll from 29 given Tuesday. (hindustantimes.com)
- In 1970 Fiji gained independence although democratic rule has been a somewhat testing experience for Fijians. (travellerspoint.com)
- Indo-Fijians were solidly behind the Fiji Labor Party (F.L.P.) whereas indigenous Fijians voted in large numbers for Soqosoqo ni Duavata ni Lewenivanua (S.D.L.). The New Alliance Party of Fiji (N.A.P.F.) and the National Federation Party (N.F.P.), which advocated policies that were in between those of F.L.P. and S.D.L., failed to win a single seat. (worldpress.org)
- The crowd traded chants of "All Blacks" and "Fiji" in an electric atmosphere but it was the Fijians, after leading 7-5 at the break, who held their nerve down the stretch. (odt.co.nz)
Republic of F3
- Fiji, officially known as the Republic of Fiji, is an island nation in Melanesia in the South Pacific Ocean about 1,100 nautical miles northeast of North Island of New Zealand. (answers.com)
- The Fiji Infantry Regiment is the main combat element of the Republic of Fiji Military Forces. (wikipedia.org)
- The Republic of Fiji is an economic, transportation, and academic hub of the South Pacific islands, making it an attractive trade and investment option for businesses looking to establish a presence in the region. (state.gov)
- The Royal Australian Infantry Corps and Royal New Zealand Infantry Regiment conduct yearly training seminars and exercises with the Fiji Infantry Regiment 1st Battalion, Fiji Infantry Regiment: The 1st Battalion was originally raised in response to the request by the US Forces deployed in the Pacific theatre during the Second World War for operations in the Solomon Islands. (wikipedia.org)
- The Fiji Defense Force saw extensive use throughout the war, and after the Solomon Islands Campaign the demobilization of Fiji Forces was announced on September 1, 1945. (wikipedia.org)
- It's the twelfth major quake of September, a very deep, 551.2 km, magnitude 6.6 rocks Fiji Islands, however, no tsunami warning has been issued, presumably because the quake is so deep (shallow quakes are more destructive than deep quakes). (thebigwobble.org)
- Vatu-i-Ra and Cakau Levu are reefs in Fiji, an island archipelago encompassing more than 300 islands in the southern Pacific Ocean. (umich.edu)
- Fiji is an archipelago of 300 islands scattered over 1.3 million square kilometers of the South Pacific Ocean. (fao.org)
- With 1,750 native vascular plants, the islands of Fiji carry a much richer biological cargo than other nearby groups such as Tonga, Samoa, Vanuatu, or the Cook Islands. (fao.org)
- Fiji, which comprises 332 islands and a total land area of 18,333 km 2 , is located in the center of the South Pacific. (cdc.gov)
- Fiji is an island nation in the Pacific consisting of roughly 300 islands accounting for 18,272 km² of earth's surface. (travellerspoint.com)
- Turtle Island (www.turtlefiji.com) This resort is in the Yasawa Islands, and is considered to be the most beautiful in Fiji. (bellaonline.com)
- Jean-Michel Cousteau Fiji Islands Resort. (bellaonline.com)
- Fiji consists of an archipelago of more than 330 islands-of which about 110 are permanently inhabited-and more than 500 islets , amounting to a total land area of about 18,300 square kilometres (7,100 sq mi). (wikipedia.org)
- probably an aboriginal introduction to the Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, and Fiji. (nzdl.org)
- Welcome to the Official Fiji Islands Travel Guide by the Fiji Visitors Bureau. (cruisersforum.com)
- Fortunately for Fiji, Winston passed between the two largest islands rather than striking them directly, missing the major population centres. (newscientist.com)
- Fiji is renowned for its spectacular beaches and coral reefs: a picturesque string of islands floating peacefully in the Pacific Ocean. (gooverseas.com)
- For this interview, I have chosen my mother, , who has endured a journey filled with many obstacles to coming to the United States as an immigrant from Fiji Islands. (majortests.com)
- While some islands in the Pacific have become overdeveloped and others remain too remote, Fiji is both easy to get to and manages to enjoy the conveniences of a modern country while retaining its essential island charm. (dive-the-world.com)
- Embark on a voyage to remote Fiji and Discover the Lau group of islands and Kadavu, a part of Fiji yachties dream about. (fijime.com)
- The 322 islands that make up Fiji expand across 7,054 square miles in the southwest Pacific Ocean. (blastmagazine.com)
- In the winter of 1769, the British explorer Captain James Cook, early into his first voyage across the Pacific, received from a Polynesian priest named Tupaia an astonishing gift-a map, the first that any European had ever encountered showing all the major islands of the South Pacific. (nationalgeographic.com)
- Situated east of the Fiji Islands in the South Pacific, Tonga (also called the Friendly Islands) consists of some 150 islands, of which 36 are inhabited. (factmonster.com)
- The climate plan, which was unveiled ahead of the Pacific Islands Forum (PIF) in Tuvalu next week, comes after Fiji joined a group of Pacific island nations in declaring a climate emergency and urging "governments of high emitting countries that are hindering progress in climate change efforts to heed the climate science and urgently change direction for the benefit of all, including the people in their own countries. (ecowatch.com)
- The waters of the Fiji Islands are rich with nutrients, supporting large marine ecosystems, which means lots of great dive sites to visit and a great variety of exciting pelagics, sharks, barrier reefs and wall diving. (dive-the-world.com)
- A tropical cyclone warning remains in force for Viti Levu, the Yasawa and Mamanuca groups, Beqa, Vatulele, Totoya, Matuku, Lomaiviti and the sotuhern Lau group, Kadavu and nearby smaller islands (Matanuku, Ono and Galoa) and is now in force for the rest of Fiji. (solomontimes.com)
- Fiji has been one of the world's most powerful voices in calling for urgent action to address the terrible toll that climate change is inflicting on human health, human rights, and well-being. (ohchr.org)
- For the diving enthusiast there is not only the abundance of fabulous dive sites in Fiji, including the world's second largest barrier reef, and the colour schemes that earn the country the title of "The World's Soft Coral Capital", but also arguably the world's best shark dive! (dive-the-world.com)
- The mass exodus out of major cities in the world's most populous Muslim country is underway despite travel restrictions are imposed by the government to prevent the spread of the coronavirus outbreak, as people are heading home to their villages to celebrate Eid al-Fitr holiday that marks the end of the holy fasting month of Ramadan. (yahoo.com)
- For Pacific islanders, the persistently selfish and short-sighted approach of the world's major emitters has gone from disappointing to frustrating to infuriating. (japantimes.co.jp)
- All of these units were formed following the 1987 coups and the conversion of the 3rd Battalion to regulars: 4th Battalion, Fiji Infantry Regiment: The 4th Battalion has responsibility for the defence of Nadi airport and the surrounding area. (wikipedia.org)
- Denarau Island Resort (www.denarau.com) is a major resort area very close to Nadi. (bellaonline.com)
- Nadi, Fiji. (wcpfc.int)
- The Fiji weather office is expecting Keni to pass south of Nadi before making landfall over the southern island of Kadavu. (solomontimes.com)
- FIJI - Some dairy farmers in Fiji say they are still waiting for government assistance after Cyclone Winston nearly a year ago, and their problems have been compounded by recent flooding. (thecattlesite.com)
- These extra warm waters fuelled tropical cyclone Winston, which struck Fiji at the weekend as a category five storm - the highest classification. (newscientist.com)
- During my visit, I heard about the extensive damage inflicted on Fiji by flooding, droughts, rising sea levels, saltwater intrusion, and Tropical Cyclone Winston. (ohchr.org)
- However, some of Kiribati's residents have already moved - to Fiji, New Zealand, and Australia - in anticipation of such a need. (planetsave.com)
- I'm 75 years old and the damage I've seen, the extent of the damage, this must be the worst thing in living memory for Fiji," he told Radio New Zealand. (hindustantimes.com)
- Located in the South Pacific, Fiji is directly north of New Zealand, and within a degree of perfect. (bellaonline.com)
- Fiji has knocked New Zealand out of the Hamilton sevens. (odt.co.nz)
- Earlier New Zealand progressed to the semi after downing England 19-12 in a tense match, while Fiji snuck past Gordon Tietjens' Samoa thanks to a last minute try. (odt.co.nz)
- She has also been a visiting faculty/scholar at University of Amsterdam (the Netherlands), University of South Pacific (Fiji), and Otego University (New Zealand). (springer.com)
- The couple touched down in Sydney yesterday ahead of their 16-day royal tour of Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand. (mirror.co.uk)
- The couple's first major international tour together will take them through Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand over 16 packed days. (thesun.co.uk)
- After an abbreviated 2020 season that is now a blur, Major League Baseball returns Thursday with all 30 teams in action before actual human spectators for a six-month, 162-game trudge to the postseason. (kesq.com)
Colony of F2
-  The language is a minority language in Fiji , Guyana , Mauritius , South Africa , Suriname , and Trinidad and Tobago . (wikipedia.org)
- Their population is lower than that of Bhojpuri speakers in Mauritius, South Africa, Fiji, and Caribbean nations. (wikipedia.org)
- Fiji meet South Africa, both teams unbeaten in Hamilton, in the Cup final. (odt.co.nz)
- Village on Yasawa Island, Fiji. (britannica.com)
- Keni is the second cyclone to hit Fiji in just over a week after Cyclone Josie left six people dead over Easter. (solomontimes.com)
- In February, Fiji escaped without deaths or widespread damage when Gita, a Category Four storm, lashed the region, causing widespread destruction in Tonga and Samoa. (voanews.com)
- The Government of Fiji recognises that ecotourism has the potential not only to provide quality employment, income, and business opportunities for local people, but also to act as a catalyst for the preservation of the natural environment and indigenous culture. (fao.org)
- Fiji also has 57 indigenous bird species, 23 percent of which are endemic. (fao.org)
- Fiji's health system is ill-equipped to deal with a major outbreak. (smh.com.au)
- Fiji's main island is known as Viti Levu and it is from this that the name "Fiji" is derived, though the common English pronunciation is based on that of their island neighbours in Tonga . (wikipedia.org)
- Climate Vulnerability Assessment: Making Fiji Climate Resilient , launched at COP23 in Bonn under Fiji's historical Presidency of this major global event, provides significant new analysis of Fiji's vulnerability to climate change. (worldbank.org)
- And Fiji Rugby pulls off a sporting coup by securing a major sponsorship deal with a corporate giant. (abc.net.au)
- The Rugby World Cup in Japan is not yet even at its halfway point, but Georgia and Fiji are already looking four years into the future with automatic qualification for the 2023 tournament on the line on Thursday. (japantimes.co.jp)
- Hooker Tolu Latu scored two tries in the second half to help Australia escape a historic upset by Fiji and win 39-21 on Saturday in the teams' Rugby World Cup Pool D opener. (japantimes.co.jp)
- Fiji highlighted how dangerous it could be on the counterattack at the Rugby World Cup as it scored two scintillating long-range tries to beat Tonga 29-19 at Eden Park on Saturday. (japantimes.co.jp)
- Fiji Hindi , an official language of Fiji, is a variant of Awadhi and Bhojpuri. (wikipedia.org)
- Maintaining the territorial defence of Fiji, specifically for the main island of Viti Levu. (wikipedia.org)
- In 2004, the Wildlife Conservation Society-Fiji, World Wildlife Fund-South Pacific Program, Wetlands International-Oceania and communities of Macuata and Kubulau concluded that traditional resource management practices, government policies and other initiatives could not adequately protect the ecosystems encompassing Vatu-i-Ra and Cakau Levu in the face of intensive coastal farming and forestry practices, growing demand for fish, and declining fisheries resources. (umich.edu)
- Most visitors will only see Viti Levu, the main island, but they will miss the best that Fiji has to offer. (bellaonline.com)
- and Lautoka , in northwestern Viti Levu, the centre of the sugar industry and the location of a major port. (britannica.com)
- Bligh Water and the Koro Sea - The Bligh Waters is a name that brings up childhood memories of adventure on the high seas, and these liveaboard trips provide plenty of action, taking in some of the most famous dive sites in Fiji such as E6, a huge pinnacle surrounded by a spectacular marine ecosystem. (dive-the-world.com)
- One lesson to take away from Fiji is to not just assume we can't save coral due to bleaching from coral reefs. (treehugger.com)
- But it is the astoundingly colourful reefs for which Fiji diving is best known. (dive-the-world.com)
- Bligh Water and the Koro Sea feature vibrant, healthy off-shore reefs, such as those around Namena Island, combined with the breathtaking shark action at Nigali Passage, to make this liveaboard region the leading light for scuba diving in Fiji. (dive-the-world.com)
- There are no leeches or crocodiles, which means you can fully enjoy its beautiful wild streams, brooks of crystal clear water as well as the many waterfall Fiji has to offer. (charterworld.com)
- and the Professional Quality of Life (ProQOL) questionnaires were provided to surgeons from three public divisional hospitals in Fiji. (frontiersin.org)
Causes of De1
- Cardiovascular diseases (for example, heart diseases and high blood pressure) and diabetes are major causes of death among adults in Fiji. (un.org)
- We have a reason to smile and even more for the people of Kadavu as the first Fiji Airways new B737. (fijisun.com.fj)
- The people of Fiji are an interesting cultural mix. (bellaonline.com)
- Luckily without any victims or major damage, but millions of people over the world have been frightened by the massive and very strong earthquakes in Asia and North America. (earthquake-report.com)
- By teaching in these communities volunteers can make a real difference to the lives of young people growing up in Fiji, learn more about life as a teacher in Fiji and contribute to establishing sustainable development programmes. (gooverseas.com)
- No major damage of loss or property was reported and people were seen roaming the streets. (thaindian.com)
- Parts of Fiji are still cleaning up after Cyclone Josie hit over the Easter weekend, leading to major flooding that killed six people. (voanews.com)
- And the people of Fiji are welcoming and friendly in a way that few other places can match. (dive-the-world.com)
- The annual number of births per 1,000 people in North Korea is 14.51 while in Fiji it is 19.86. (ifitweremyhome.com)
- Fiji is one of those dream destinations that conjures up images of white sandy beaches, azure lagoons fringed with coconut trees, and of course the warmth of the friendly local people. (dive-the-world.com)
- She is currently working on a book manuscript on Fiji Indians and Diasporic Identities. (springer.com)
- Kadavu Island - If you are enquiring about Kadavu, you may be seeking a getaway to the real Fiji. (dive-the-world.com)
- Royal aides have carefully planned a schedule for Meghan's royal trip, which includes visits to Fiji and Tonga, to try to prevent her contracting it. (mirror.co.uk)
-  Humans have lived in Fiji since the second millennium BC-first Austronesians and later Melanesians , with some Polynesian influences. (wikipedia.org)
- 5th Battalion, Fiji Infantry Regiment: The 5th Battalion has responsibility for the defence of the area around Lautoka, Ba, Tavua, Vatukaula and Ra. (wikipedia.org)
- M 8.2, Major quake, Fiji NOW! (phys.org)
- In 2012, per 100,000 population, reported TB incidence in Fiji was 24 (95% CI 21-27) cases, prevalence was 30 (95% CI 10-61), and the case-fatality rate was 1.7 ( 3 , 4 ). (cdc.gov)
- The major censuses include Population and Housing and Agriculture. (statsfiji.gov.fj)
- Fiji carries the greatest burden of non-communicable diseases (NCD)-related deaths in the region at 501 per 100,000 in the population. (ipsnews.net)
- 15.60% of the land use in fiji is used for crops. (smore.com)
- The Fiji Meteorological Service predicts Gita will become a Category Five storm - the top of the scale - before reaching Tonga Monday night. (telegraph.co.uk)
- The government's investment promotion office, Investment Fiji, is responsible for the promotion, regulation, and control of foreign investment. (state.gov)
- The use of evidence in policy-making will only become a reality in Fiji if it is a formalized part of the government's policy-making systems. (biomedcentral.com)
- Fiji water also gives 1% of revenue back to protect the environment among other foundations and community programs. (answers.com)
- Delays from the Fiji Revenue and Customs Service can slow the remittance of profits and dividends because the tax authority must certify all taxes were paid before money is transferred overseas. (state.gov)
- The Global Burden of Disease study [ 1 ] found that ischemic heart disease, diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular disease were the highest ranking causes of years of life lost and years lived with a disability in Fiji in 2010. (biomedcentral.com)
- In Fiji, diabetes is the main cause of amputations and the second main factor in adult blindness. (ipsnews.net)
- Major Upgrading of Health Centres in Western, Northern and Central/Eastern Division. (fiji.gov.fj)
- studied abroad in Ethiopia, Fiji and Australia. (union.edu)
- With Meghan expecting her first child, announced as they arrived in Australia yesterday, she will go for tea with the British High Commissioner in Fiji as Harry treks in the rainforest. (mirror.co.uk)
- TEAN afforded me opportunities that I cannot begin to repay and truly allowed me to have the best experience possible, while at Bond and in Australia (AND the post-semester Fiji excursion-- what a dream). (goabroad.com)
- In addition to registering and assisting with the implementation of foreign investment projects, Investment Fiji hosts information seminars for visiting foreign business delegations and participates at investment missions overseas. (state.gov)
- Fiji is an island nation with ambitious development goals. (worldbank.org)
- SYDNEY - Fiji was bracing on Tuesday for the second potentially destructive cyclone to hit the Pacific island nation in just over a week, with authorities advising residents to prepare survival kits and be ready for evacuation. (voanews.com)
- The island nation of Fiji on Wednesday slammed world powers for their "grossly irresponsible and selfish" failure to act on the planetary emergency and unveiled a bold plan to bring the country's carbon emissions to net zero by 2050. (ecowatch.com)
- Fiji, along with other small island states, is acutely vulnerable to the adverse impacts of climate change, from rising sea levels to the increasing intensity of extreme weather events such as cyclones. (ohchr.org)
- However, Fiji faces major threats from natural disasters and climate change that threaten the objectives of the country's Development Plan. (worldbank.org)
- To quantify and enhance the understanding of the threat that natural hazards and climate change pose to its Development Plan objectives, Fiji has prepared a Climate Vulnerability Assessment with support from the World Bank and Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery (GFDRR) that pilots a methodology to assess climate and disaster vulnerability and design climate change adaptation and risk management plans and strategies. (worldbank.org)
- It includes projections that show the potential impacts of climate change on Fiji over the coming decades, and analyses of what climate change means for its economy, health and food security together with what it could mean for key industries including agriculture and tourism. (worldbank.org)
- Fiji welcomes foreign investment and has undertaken economic reforms purported to improve the investment climate. (state.gov)
- LOMALOMA, FIJI - With its white sandy beaches, palm trees, and tropical climate, Fiji is a picture perfect destination that conjures dreams of relaxing vacations for many. (blastmagazine.com)
- In general, the major threat to corals is global climate change, in particular, temperature extremes leading to bleaching and increased susceptibility to disease, increased severity of ENSO events and storms, and ocean acidification. (iucnredlist.org)
- The act will include tighter restrictions on the use of plastics , a framework for Fiji to reduce its emissions to net-zero by 2050, the introduction of a carbon credits scheme, and the establishment of procedures for the relocation of communities at risk from the adverse effects of the climate crisis," The Guardian reported. (ecowatch.com)
- We cannot afford climate change fatigue to set in Fiji because if anything the outlook is worsening. (ecowatch.com)
- The 2006 Fiji general election has further raised the utility of Alternative Vote (A.V.) as a means of promoting centrist policies and moderate political parties in deeply divided communities. (worldpress.org)
Ministry of Health and Medical Servi1
- Thirty-one policy-makers from the Ministry of Health and Medical Services (MoHMS n = 18) and the Ministry of Agriculture (MoA n = 13) in Fiji participated in the study. (biomedcentral.com)
- The authors recommend that occupational stress and burnout intervention strategies be put in place in hospitals in Fiji. (frontiersin.org)
- Semi Radradra scored two tries and Levani Botia made five conversions, leading previously winless Fiji to a 45-10 rout of Georgia on Thursday in the World Cup Pool D action. (japantimes.co.jp)
- Semi-structured face-to-face interviews were conducted with selected policy-makers in two government ministries that were instrumental in the development of food-related policies in Fiji designed to prevent Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs). (biomedcentral.com)
- Non-communicable Diseases (NCDs) are a growing problem and a major cause of disability and death in Fiji. (biomedcentral.com)
- Fiji like other low and middle-income countries in the Pacific region is actively seeking a comprehensive set of solutions to combat the rising level of NCDs. (biomedcentral.com)
- I don't think any country can cope with the burden of NCDs, not even high-income countries," Dr Wendy Snowdon of the Pacific Research Centre for the Prevention of Obesity and Non-communicable Diseases at the Fiji School of Medicine told IPS. (ipsnews.net)