Macau: Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China since December 20, 1999 with its own constitution. The island of Macau and adjacent islands are located off the southeast coast of China.Missions and Missionaries: To be used for articles pertaining to medical activities carried out by personnel in institutions which are administered by a religious organization.China: A country spanning from central Asia to the Pacific Ocean.Encyclopedias as Topic: Works containing information articles on subjects in every field of knowledge, usually arranged in alphabetical order, or a similar work limited to a special field or subject. (From The ALA Glossary of Library and Information Science, 1983)PortugalJuglandaceae: The walnut plant family of the order Juglandales, subclass Hamamelidae, class Magnoliopsida. They are mainly temperate zone trees.Desulfovibrio: A genus of gram-negative, anaerobic, rod-shaped bacteria capable of reducing sulfur compounds to hydrogen sulfide. Organisms are isolated from anaerobic mud of fresh and salt water, animal intestines, manure, and feces.EuropeWaxes: A plastic substance deposited by insects or obtained from plants. Waxes are esters of various fatty acids with higher, usually monohydric alcohols. The wax of pharmacy is principally yellow wax (beeswax), the material of which honeycomb is made. It consists chiefly of cerotic acid and myricin and is used in making ointments, cerates, etc. (Dorland, 27th ed)Ships: Large vessels propelled by power or sail used for transportation on rivers, seas, oceans, or other navigable waters. Boats are smaller vessels propelled by oars, paddles, sail, or power; they may or may not have a deck.Naval Medicine: The practice of medicine concerned with conditions affecting the health of individuals associated with the marine environment.Parakeets: Common name for one of five species of small PARROTS, containing long tails.Ophiostomatales: An order of fungi in the phylum ASCOMYCOTA that are important plant pathogens.Photography: Method of making images on a sensitized surface by exposure to light or other radiant energy.Copyright: It is a form of protection provided by law. In the United States this protection is granted to authors of original works of authorship, including literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain other intellectual works. This protection is available to both published and unpublished works. (from Circular of the United States Copyright Office, 6/30/2008)Computer Security: Protective measures against unauthorized access to or interference with computer operating systems, telecommunications, or data structures, especially the modification, deletion, destruction, or release of data in computers. It includes methods of forestalling interference by computer viruses or so-called computer hackers aiming to compromise stored data.Confidentiality: The privacy of information and its protection against unauthorized disclosure.Privacy: The state of being free from intrusion or disturbance in one's private life or affairs. (Random House Unabridged Dictionary, 2d ed, 1993)EnglandLicensure: The legal authority or formal permission from authorities to carry on certain activities which by law or regulation require such permission. It may be applied to licensure of institutions as well as individuals.Genetic Privacy: The protection of genetic information about an individual, family, or population group, from unauthorized disclosure.New JerseyCompetitive Behavior: The direct struggle between individuals for environmental necessities or for a common goal.Territoriality: Behavior in defense of an area against another individual or individuals primarily of the same species.Vesicular stomatitis New Jersey virus: A species of VESICULOVIRUS causing VESICULAR STOMATITIS primarily in cattle, horses, and pigs. It can be transmitted to humans where it causes influenza-like symptoms.Twins: Two individuals derived from two FETUSES that were fertilized at or about the same time, developed in the UTERUS simultaneously, and born to the same mother. Twins are either monozygotic (TWINS, MONOZYGOTIC) or dizygotic (TWINS, DIZYGOTIC).Lenses: Pieces of glass or other transparent materials used for magnification or increased visual acuity.Diseases in Twins: Disorders affecting TWINS, one or both, at any age.Writing: The act or practice of literary composition, the occupation of writer, or producing or engaging in literary work as a profession.ReadingComprehension: The act or fact of grasping the meaning, nature, or importance of; understanding. (American Heritage Dictionary, 4th ed) Includes understanding by a patient or research subject of information disclosed orally or in writing.Semantics: The relationships between symbols and their meanings.Psycholinguistics: A discipline concerned with relations between messages and the characteristics of individuals who select and interpret them; it deals directly with the processes of encoding (phonetics) and decoding (psychoacoustics) as they relate states of messages to states of communicators.Language: A verbal or nonverbal means of communicating ideas or feelings.Linguistics: The science of language, including phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, pragmatics, and historical linguistics. (Random House Unabridged Dictionary, 2d ed)LizardsWeather: The state of the ATMOSPHERE over minutes to months.Seasons: Divisions of the year according to some regularly recurrent phenomena usually astronomical or climatic. (From McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, 6th ed)Iguanas: Large herbivorous tropical American lizards.Reptiles: Cold-blooded, air-breathing VERTEBRATES belonging to the class Reptilia, usually covered with external scales or bony plates.Viviparity, Nonmammalian: The capability of bearing live young (rather than eggs) in nonmammalian species. Some species of REPTILES and FISHES exhibit this.Office Visits: Visits made by patients to health service providers' offices for diagnosis, treatment, and follow-up.RestaurantsMenu PlanningSound: A type of non-ionizing radiation in which energy is transmitted through solid, liquid, or gas as compression waves. Sound (acoustic or sonic) radiation with frequencies above the audible range is classified as ultrasonic. Sound radiation below the audible range is classified as infrasonic.BooksSound Localization: Ability to determine the specific location of a sound source.Atmosphere: The gaseous envelope surrounding a planet or similar body. (From Random House Unabridged Dictionary, 2d ed)Heart Sounds: The sounds heard over the cardiac region produced by the functioning of the heart. There are four distinct sounds: the first occurs at the beginning of SYSTOLE and is heard as a "lubb" sound; the second is produced by the closing of the AORTIC VALVE and PULMONARY VALVE and is heard as a "dupp" sound; the third is produced by vibrations of the ventricular walls when suddenly distended by the rush of blood from the HEART ATRIA; and the fourth is produced by atrial contraction and ventricular filling.Light: That portion of the electromagnetic spectrum in the visible, ultraviolet, and infrared range.Twins, Dizygotic: Two offspring from the same PREGNANCY. They are from two OVA, fertilized at about the same time by two SPERMATOZOA. Such twins are genetically distinct and can be of different sexes.Twins, Monozygotic: Two off-spring from the same PREGNANCY. They are from a single fertilized OVUM that split into two EMBRYOS. Such twins are usually genetically identical and of the same sex.Fluorescence Resonance Energy Transfer: A type of FLUORESCENCE SPECTROSCOPY using two FLUORESCENT DYES with overlapping emission and absorption spectra, which is used to indicate proximity of labeled molecules. This technique is useful for studying interactions of molecules and PROTEIN FOLDING.Book Selection
Ancient Roman architecture
Maritime history of Europe
It is the oldest working Roman lighthouse in the world. According to Smithsonian, a lighthouse on the Gironde River in France, ... The ancient Roman lighthouse stands near A Coruña, Galicia, and is 57 metres (185 ft) in height. ... The Pharos of Meloria is often considered the first lighthouse in Europe since Roman times. Meloria, a rocky islet off the ... and military installations and lighthouses constructed to protect or aid navigation and the development of Europe. Europe is ...
Port MacDonnell, South Australia
Lighthouse. Cape Northumberland has a prominent lighthouse which dates to 1882. An earlier 1858 lighthouse was the first ... "Cape Northumberland Lighthouse". South Australian Heritage Register. Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources. ... the Cape Northumberland Lighthouse, the Dingley Dell Museum and the Former Port MacDonnell customs house. ... http://www.lighthouse.net.au/lights/sa/Cape%20Northumberland/Cape%20Northumberland.htm#History ...
Point Arguello Light
List of lighthouses in the United States. References. *^ Point Arguello The Lighthouse Directory. University of North ... Point Arguello Lighthouse is a lighthouse on Point Arguello, serving the Santa Barbara Channel, California adjoining Vandenberg ... just north of the lighthouse after the Third Officer mistook railroad construction lights for the lighthouse. ... In 1901, the lighthouse service built the first light station at Point Arguello. Due to erosion, The tower was replaced in 1911 ...
Catherine's Lighthouse was bombed in World War II, receiving a direct hit on the boiler house that killed three lighthouse ... Catherine's Lighthouse was automated in 1997 with the keepers leaving the lighthouse on 30 July. ... Catherine's Lighthouse is still in operation as of 2013 (Navtex is a shore-to-ship service). For the purpose of extended ... The lighthouse itself was only slightly damaged, its lens only being chipped; the same lens is still used today. St. ...
List of lighthouses in Croatia Lighthouses Directory "Pokonji Dol". Lighthouses. Plovput. Retrieved 10 February 2015. Media ... The lighthouse in the middle of the islet was built in 1872. Because Pokonji Dol is the eastern-most island of the Paklinski ... otoci (Hell Islands) archipelago, the lighthouse ensures the safe navigation of vessels coming from the open sea. ...
Great Britain commemorative stamps 1990-99
Percy Wells (businessman)
He later controlled the erection of the Tiparra Reef lighthouses, a jetty on the Cape Jaffa reef, and jetties at Kingston SE ... Wells submitted a tender to the South Australian Government for installation of a lighthouse on the Margaret Brock Reef using ... "Lighthouses". South Australian Register. Adelaide: National Library of Australia. 21 February 1866. p. 2. Retrieved 31 May 2015 ... But the work was eventually completed and the Cape Jaffa lighthouse went into operation in 1872. ...
A manned lighthouse on Calf Rock was destroyed in a storm in 1881 and its remains can still be seen. Cow Rock is home to a ... On Bull Rock in a tidal race stands a lighthouse built in 1888 and automated in March 1991. This island was inhabited until ... "Lighthouses > Bull Rock". CommissionerOfIrishLights.com. Archived from the original on 1 January 2013.  Penelope Durell ( ...
Church of St Helen, Kilnsea
In the 1850s, Trinity House funded the construction of a new lighthouse at Spurn Point, the Low Lighthouse. The total cost of ... "Foghorn Publishing ... Lighthouse Explorer Database ... Spurn Point Low Light". www.lighthousedigest.com. Retrieved 26 June ... Subscription required (help)). "Lighthouses". Trinity House. Retrieved 26 June 2017. Baker, Geoffrey. " ...
Burnham-on-Sea Round Tower
Somerset portal Lighthouses portal List of lighthouses in England "Why is the Severn Estuary special?" (PDF). Severn Estuary ... "The lighthouse on legs". UK Lighthouses. Alan Taylor. Archived from the original on 23 October 2010. Retrieved 28 April 2010. " ... "Lighthouses". Burnham on Sea.com. Retrieved 5 April 2010. Rowlett, Russ. "Lighthouses of Western England". University of North ... Trinity House operated the lighthouse until 1832 when it became inactive, and was replaced by the High and Low lighthouses. The ...
Portpatrick railway station
Albion Mills, Southwark
Sveti Andrija (Dubrovnik)
Croatia portal List of lighthouses in Croatia Sveti Andrija Lighthouse Plovput Rowlett, Russ. "Lighthouses of Southern Croatia ... "Lighthouses of Southern Croatia". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 26 February ... During 1873 a lighthouse was built on the island, financed by the Austro-Hungarian government. A two-storey house was built, ... "Sveti Andrija". Lighthouses. Plovput. Retrieved 26 February 2015. Document Archived in Dubrovnik-1483. ...
Waackaack Rear Range Light
This lighthouse was built of iron rings, and as the site for the lighthouse was not ready for its erection at the time the ... By the end of the 1950s the lighthouse was dismantled and sold for scrap. "Lighthouse Postcards: Waackaack (rear)". National ... The tower built for use at the Waackaack Rear Range Light Station was part of the United States Lighthouse Board's exhibit at ... "Lighthouses". Keansburg Police Department. Archived from the original on December 12, 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-25. Chart 12401: ...
These lighthouses were dismantled and replaced by two new lighthouses built in the 1860s. The first was the "Low Light" built ... The second lighthouse was the "High Light" - the free standing Hurst Point Lighthouse built on the end of Hurst Spit between ... The first lighthouse at Hurst was the Hurst Tower, sited to the south west of Hurst Castle, and lit for the first time on 29 ... Hurst Point Lighthouse was built on the end of Hurst Spit in the 1860s. Hurst Spit is a hook-shaped shingle spit which extends ...
St Andrew's Church, Burnham-on-Sea
Trinity House operated the lighthouse until 1832 when it became inactive and was replaced by the High and Low lighthouses. The ... "Lighthouses". Burnham on Sea.com. Retrieved 5 April 2010. "Burnham on Sea-S Andrew". Dove's Guide for Church Bell Ringers. 7 ... List of ecclesiastical parishes in the Diocese of Bath and Wells St Andrew's Church The Lighthouse Directory. University of ... round tower was later shortened to two storeys, to prevent any confusion with the High Lighthouse. The tower holds a ring of ...
1707 in piracy
Ladies of the Lights
"Michigan Lighthouses". lighthousefriends.com. Retrieved August 6, 2017. United States Coast Guard Women Lighthouse Keepers. ... "Meet Michigan's female lighthouse keepers". MLive.com. Retrieved August 6, 2017. "Michigan Lighthouse Guide". ... and the first American woman lighthouse keeper in 1775 at Boston Harbor when Hannah Thomas assumed her husband's lighthouse ... Ladies of the Lights: Michigan Women in the U.S. Lighthouse Service is a non-fiction book by Patricia Majher that provides ...
Sombrero Key Light
CS1 maint: Unfit url (link) Lighthouse Friends McCarthy, Kevin M. 1990. Cape Florida Lighthouse. Florida Lighthouses. (pp. 41- ... As a result, the reef and the lighthouse have also been called Dry Banks. The lighthouse was put in service in 1858, automated ... "Sombrero Key Lighthouse History". Historic Lighthouse Publishers. Archived from the original on February 8, 2006. Retrieved May ... The Sombrero Key Light is the tallest lighthouse in the Florida Keys, and was the last lighthouse constructed under the ...
Carysfort Reef Light
Lighthouse Friends. Retrieved 30 June 2016 McCarthy, Kevin M. (1990) "Cape Florida Lighthouse." Florida Lighthouses. (pp. 41-44 ... Florida portal Lighthouses portal List of lighthouses in Florida List of lighthouses in the United States National Park Service ... Congress appropriated funds for a lighthouse at Carysfort Reef in the 1840s. It was the third screw-pile lighthouse in the ... The lighthouse has an iron screw-pile foundation with a platform, and a skeletal, octagonal, pyramidal tower, which is painted ...
Cedar Key Light
The lighthouse is used as a dormitory for students. The Cedar Key lighthouse is the oldest standing lighthouse on the west ... Florida portal Lighthouses portal List of lighthouses in Florida List of lighthouses in the United States "Historic Light ... The lighthouse was put back into service after the war ended. The lighthouse building was tripled in size in 1905 when a U.S. ... Lieutenant George Meade helped design the lighthouse. The lighthouse was completed and lit in 1854. At the beginning of the ...
Sand Key Light
Due to efforts to reorganize the Lighthouse Board, Congress was slow to appropriate funds for the new lighthouses. A screw-pile ... Sand Key Light is a lighthouse 6 nautical miles (11 km; 6.9 mi) southwest of Key West, Florida, between Sand Key Channel and ... Anderson., Kraig (2013-08-17). "Lighthouses of the U.S.: Eastern Florida and the Keys". unc.edu. Retrieved 2017-09-09. Light ... FL-189, "Sand Key Lighthouse, Sand Key, Key West, Monroe County, FL", 8 photos, 6 data pages, 1 photo caption page, ...
In 1870, the first lighthouse at Cape Blanco was built and was soon followed by both the Yaquina Bay Light and Yaquina Head ... "Oregon Lighthouses". NWCoast.com. Retrieved 2009-03-16. "Fish Division: Marine Resource Program: Regulations: Sport Fishing - ... Historic areas, such as Fort Clatsop, Battle Rock, and Oregon's lighthouses are all popular sites for visitors. The Oregon ... Another popular destination for visitors is Oregon's historic lighthouses, most of which date to before 1900. Because the ...
Matagorda Island Light
The resting place for lighthouse keepers and their families can be found near the lighthouse. NRHP portal Lighthouses portal ... "History of Matagorda Lighthouse". Matagorda Lighthouse. Retrieved 13 September 2011. "Lighthouse Cemetery". Texas State ... Building of a lighthouse to guide sea-going vessels into Matagorda Bay through Pass Cavallo was authorized by the Congress of ... The lighthouse underwent a renovation completed in 2004, at a cost of $1.23 million. The renovation was made possible through ...
St. Johns Light
It is the fourth lighthouse to have stood at Mayport. The first lighthouse was erected in 1830, after the U.S. purchase of ... Rowlett, Russ (2010-03-11). "Lighthouses of the United States: Eastern Florida and the Keys". The Lighthouse Directory. ... A second lighthouse was erected about a mile upriver in 1835. However, shifting sand dunes often made the light difficult to ... Johns River Lighthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976 and restored in 1980. In 1954 the current ...
Crown Point Light
"Crown Point Lighthouse". Cyber Lighthouses. Retrieved 2008-05-20. Holland, Frances Ross (1981). America's Lighthouses: An ... The original Crown Point Light in 1911 Champlain Memorial Lighthouse, November 2010 "Crown Point Lighthouse" Lighthouse Friends ... Great Lakes Lighthouses, American and Canadian: A Comprehensive Directory/Guide to Great Lakes Lighthouses, (Gwinn, Michigan: ... The memorial served as an active lighthouse for only fourteen years. In 1926 its light was extinguished, and a small skeleton ...
Williams Island (South Australia)
Lighthouses of China: Macau
One of the worlds great lighthouses, the Portuguese Farol da Guia was the first western-style lighthouse built in China. ... from the lighthouse. The lighthouse is built within the walls of the Fortaleza (fortress) da Guia, completed in 1638. Located ... Return to the Lighthouse Directory index , Ratings key. Posted November 17, 2008. Checked and revised November 18, 2017. ... Lighthouses of China: Macau. Macau (also spelled Macao) is a territory on the south coast of China, directly across the Pearl ...
Category:Lighthouses - Wikimedia Commons
See also: Lighthouse. English: Please post images under the particular lighthouse (see Lighthouses by name for a list). This ... as others may wish to add images of the same lighthouse. Also, please if you set up a new category for a lighthouse, categorize ... lighthouses, light house (en); منارةٌ, المنارات, مناره (ar); Leuchttuerm (lb); đèn biển (vi) ... If your lighthouse is not listed, please set up a category for it, even if you have just one image, ...
Lighthouses of Japan: Aomori
Kisos Lighthouses. This site has many excellent photos of Japanese lighthouses.. Second Region Lighthouse Photos - Aomori. ... Entire lighthouse painted white. Lighthouse of Japan has a page with good photos, Lighthouses in Japan has a good photo, FOALs ... Aomori Coast Guard District: Tsugaru Strait Lighthouses. Western Sotogahama Town (Minmaya) Lighthouses * Tappi Saki. 1932. ... Lighthouses in Japan - Aomori A comprehensive site, almost entirely in Japanese. Lighthouse of Japan - Aomori. Another ...
Lighthouses across Europe
This gallery of photographs shines a light on the architecture of lighthouses across the continent. Gallery curated by ... lighthouses have guided sailors and ships to safety. ... Lighthouses across Europe On coastlines all around Europe, ... This gallery of photographs shines a light on the architecture of lighthouses across the continent. ... lighthouses have guided sailors and ships to safety. ...
Caloundra Lighthouses - Wikipedia
Queensland portal lighthouses portal List of lighthouses and lightvessels in Australia "Caloundra Lighthouses (entry 602746)". ... It contains the 1896 lighthouse (currently known as the Old Caloundra Head Lighthouse), 1968 lighthouse and signal station ( ... Caloundra Lighthouses are a heritage-listed pair of lighthouses at 6 Arthur Street and 3 Canberra Terrace, Kings Beach, ... The lighthouse surrounds (reserve and public park) correspond to the 1896-1974 lighthouse reserve, and are important in ...
Category:Lighthouses in England - Wikimedia Commons
Gas Engines and Lighthouses - Scientific American
Lighthouses of Southeastern Brazil
It was replaced by a masonry lighthouse in 1910 and that lighthouse was lost to beach erosion in 1982. The third lighthouse, a ... Lighthouses of Rio de Janeiro State. São Francisco de Itabapoana Lighthouses. * Barra de Itabapoana (3). 2006 (station ... Lighthouses of Trindade are listed on the page for Brazils Atlantic Islands. Conceição da Barra Lighthouses. São Mateus ( ... Lighthouses of São Paulo State. Ilhabela Area Lighthouses. * [Ubatuba (Ponta Grossa)] 1932. Active; focal plane 65 m (213 ft); ...
Lighthouses of Western Turkey
For lighthouses of that coast, see the Northwestern Turkey page. Ayvalık District Lighthouses. * Madra Çayı (2). Date unknown. ... Return to the Lighthouse Directory index , Ratings key. Posted May 5, 2007. Checked and revised April 15, 2019. Lighthouses: 39 ... İzmir (Smyrna) Province Lighthouses. Seferihisar District Lighthouse. * Sığacık Limanı. Date unknown. Active; focal plane about ... Lighthouses in Turkey. Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.. World of Lighthouses - Turkey. Photos by ...
Woody Island Lighthouses - Wikipedia
The Woody Island Lighthouses are a pair of heritage-listed lighthouses at Woody Island in the Great Sandy Strait, Hervey Bay, ... The North Bluff Lighthouse was closed on 17 June 1959, at the same time, the Middle Bluff Lighthouse was automated, running on ... The North Bluff lighthouse is in a more dilapidated state than the Middle Bluff light. Similar to the Middle Bluff lighthouse, ... The two lighthouse clearings are located at Middle Bluff and North Bluff. The lighthouses are no longer operational. The Middle ...
List of lighthouses in the United States - Wikipedia
"Lahaina Lighthouse". Lighthouse Friends. Retrieved August 27, 2018.. *^ "Makapu`u Lighthouse". Lighthouse Friends. Retrieved ... "Moloka`i (Kalaupapa) Lighthouse". Lighthouse Friends. Retrieved October 16, 2017.. *^ Lighthouse Board; Homans, Isaac Smith ( ... F.^ These two lighthouses are tied at 115 ft (35 m) each.. G.^ The oldest lighthouse in Hawaii was called "Lahaina lighthouse ... "www.us-lighthouses.com. Retrieved September 14, 2017.. *^ a b "The Oldest Lighthouse in Each New England State". New England ...
Amazing lighthouses around the world | CNN Travel
You can see amazing pictures of lighthouses in dramatic settings around the world in Amber Books new book, Lighthouses: ... 10 things we didnt know about lighthouses. Its this symbolic significance that means lighthouses still have a heady grip on ... The new book showcases lighthouses across the world -- from the traditional, nautical-striped Happisburgh Lighthouse in Norfolk ... "Theres an American Lighthouse right at the end of the Florida Keys called the Dry Tortugas which is about the most remote ...
Lighthouses of the New Jersey Shore Web Site Contest
Which lighthouse did the lens NOT fit inside?. Sent by Fred from NY. Answer - Sandy Hook Lighthouse. Nicki from PA. Donna from ... What lighthouse was this picture taken from?. Answer - Sandy Hook Lighthouse. Fred from NY. Joe from NJ. Nicki from PA. Name ... Name which lighthouse this view was taken from.. Answer - Tinicum Rear Range Lighthouse. Howard from NJ. Nicki from PA. Donna ... Answer - The 1823 lighthouse was lost due to erosion.. Jen from PA. Ronn from NJ. Fred from NY Question - What lighthouses ...
Heres a quick tip to make your resume stand out: At the end of each job summary, write the word Results and put it in bold and slightly larger font than the rest of the text. Then write one sentence about some action you took that made a measurable difference. Example: Helped increase sales by 23 ...
Lighthouses in Uganda
Cape Cod Hotels and Lighthouses | Parents
... and dont forget to visit the Capes famed lighthouses. ... Lighthouses of Cape Cod The peninsula of Cape Cod includes more ... and dont forget to visit the Capes famed lighthouses. ... Bass River Light, West Dennis (now part of the Lighthouse Inn) ... lighthouses than any other area in America. Some have been lost, destroyed, or transferred into private hands, but the ...
KLM Travel Guide - California Lighthouse
Now that modern technology has made the original function of the lighthouse obsolete, it primarily serves as a beacon for ... The California Lighthouse is a 30-metre-high lighthouse on the north-western tip of Aruba. ... California Lighthouse. The California Lighthouse is a 30-metre-high lighthouse on the north-western tip of Aruba. Now that ... Next to the lighthouse stands the building that originally functioned as the lighthouse keepers house. However, now that the ...
Lighthouse Community Public Schools - Idealist
Lighthouse Community Public school is a small, public charter school in East Oakland, committed to preparing its K-12 students ... Lighthouse Community Public school is a small, public charter school in East Oakland, committed to preparing its K-12 students ... Interested? Want to learn more? Check out the Join our Team Video, learn more about Lighthouse or our Creativity Lab, and check ...
Florida Lighthouse Guide - Orlando Sentinel
By Eric S. Martin, Florida Lighthouse Association. AMERICAN SHOAL LIGHTHOUSE - FLORIDA KEYS Active: Yes Characteristics: Three- ... By Lynda VeArd, Florida Lighthouse Association. ALLIGATOR REEF LIGHTHOUSE - Islamorada, FL Active: Yes Characteristics: Four- ... The Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation has been formed to promote the establishment of a lighthouse museum with future ... The Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation has been formed to promote the establishment of a lighthouse museum with eventual ...
To the lighthouse - NZ Herald
The lighthouse has been a public servant from 1906, guiding vessels into the "Hellhole of the Pacific". It continues to stand ... It was a just reward - even more so as the lighthouse didnt crumble - after a day that started at an ungodly hour with a drive ... So enthralled that it was dark by the time we left the lighthouse for the DoC hut - a converted old cottage hailing from an age ... Soon we were bound for Ngawha Hot Springs, leaving the cape - and the lighthouse - as we should have. Exactly as we had found ...
Cleveland Lighthouse Community School - Idealist
Cleveland Lighthouse Community Schools Mission is to ensure that students will acquire the knowledge, skills, values and ... Cleveland Lighthouse Community Schools Mission is to ensure that students will acquire the knowledge, skills, values and ... Cleveland Lighthouse Community School. Cleveland, OH. , http://lighthouse-academies.org/ClevelandEast.htm ...
Lighthouse in Danger. - The New York Times
New England Lighthouses 2019 by Jeremy D'Entremont (Calendar) - Lulu
Buy New England Lighthouses 2019 by Jeremy DEntremont (Calendar) online at Lulu. Visit the Lulu Marketplace for product ... New Englands picturesque and historic lighthouses as captured by author/photographer Jeremy DEntremont. ... http://www.lulu.com/shop/jeremy-dentremont/new-england-lighthouses-2019/calendar/product-23738305.html. ...
Lizard Lighthouse observations map - Met Office
Lighthouse Sound Restaurant - Bishopville, MD | OpenTable
Book now at Lighthouse Sound in Bishopville, explore menu, see photos and read 201 reviews: Loved the atmosphere...the food ... Lighthouse Sound in Bishopville, Maryland provides a full menu and the view to match it. You can enjoy a view of the bay as ... Lighthouse Sound Brunch Burger. 8 oz. Burger cooked to your liking with Cheddar, Bacon Jam, One Sunny Side Up Egg on a Brioche ... Lighthouse Sound is the perfect venue to book. Your next holiday party, business meeting, baby/wedding shower or even the most ...
Light House | BookCrossing.com
Hornby Lighthouse | Travel + Leisure
Hornby Lighthouse. Atop South Head at the very eastern edge of the Harbors lower lip, this unique (and delightfully tourist- ... The lighthouse itself is part of Sydney Harbour National Park, a smattering of locales around the metropolitan area worthy of ... The lighthouse itself is part of Sydney Harbour National Park, a smattering of locales around the metropolitan area worthy of ...
Point Hicks Lighthouse | Australia's tallest lighthouse. Per… | Flickr
... surrounded by Croajingolong National and World Biosphere park stands the 1890 Point Hicks Lighthouse with its historic Oregon ... Australias tallest lighthouse. Perched on a bare granite headland, ... Point Hicks Lighthouse Australias tallest lighthouse.. Perched on a bare granite headland, surrounded by Croajingolong ... National and World Biosphere park stands the 1890 Point Hicks Lighthouse with its historic Oregon timber cottages nestled below ...
Desaru TU Lighthouse Light Jigging Before Monsoon - YouTube
Big Tub lighthouse, Tobermory, Ontario. Off camera flash, used three times moving around the lighthouse. Graham ... Lighthouse lit I posted this as an example, but CnC?. Big Tub lighthouse, Tobermory, Ontario.. Off camera flash, used three ... Re: Lighthouse lit Thats a lovely sky, Graham. Good use of long exposure. And a clever idea going round with the flash unit.. ... Re: Lighthouse lit Donald, I loved the limstone paving with the leaing lines, so I wanted to maintain some of that. Perhaps I ...
Keeper'sPoint LighthouseWord for a lighthouse2019KeepersFamous lighthousesHistoric lighthousesHarborFunction of the lighthouseSearchWorld'sParticular lighthouseLizard LighthouseTallest lighthouseFloridaLTRP NoteLightLeft the lighthouseFree lighthouseOldest lighthouseTrinity HouseNorth CarolinaCoastlinesLightshipsBeacon1873England'sDreamstimeBreakwaterFresnelGraniteCaliforniaAccreditationWavesFindReinforces1866PetersburgOversawCapeLightkeeper'sMaritimeSiteTimberPhotosLightstationHistoryReviewsCentreOperationalAppealShoreIntegralReefWhiteInitiativeWorldStormy
- Next to the lighthouse stands the building that originally functioned as the lighthouse keeper's house. (klm.com)
- The lighthouse at Somes Island (re-named after Joseph Somes, the Deputy Governor of the New Zealand Company) was erected in 1865 along with a 6-room lighthouse keeper's house. (doc.govt.nz)
- The first lighthouse was a granite keeper's dwelling with the tower on its roof. (lighthouse.cc)
- GREENPORT, L.I., Dec. 8 -- Gardiner's Island Point Lighthouse is said to be unsafe. (nytimes.com)
- The Pulteney Point Lighthouse is a combined lighthouse and fog alarm building. (gc.ca)
- The Pulteney Point Lighthouse is a heritage lighthouse because of its historical, architectural, and community values. (gc.ca)
- The Pulteney Point Lighthouse is a very good example of the expansion of the system of navigation aids along the coast of British Columbia. (gc.ca)
- The Pulteney Point Lighthouse also provides a very good illustration of the lightkeeper's story. (gc.ca)
- The Pulteney Point Lighthouse supported the fishing and boat building industries of the local community. (gc.ca)
- The Pulteney Point Lighthouse is a very good example of early modernism with its square concrete lighttower rising from the corner of a flat-roofed, single-storey, square concrete fog-alarm building. (gc.ca)
- The Pulteney Point Lighthouse is a precursor to a utilitarian style of lighthouses commonly built in the 1950s and 1960s along Canada's coastline. (gc.ca)
- The Pulteney Point Lighthouse stands impressively on the shore of a wild and scenic strait in British Columbia. (gc.ca)
- Many of the larger lighthouses are staffed by resident keepers or by rotating crews of naval personnel. (ibiblio.org)
- Learn more about the lighthouse and the life of lighthouse keepers on the island. (doc.govt.nz)
- Between 1866 and 1924 lighthouse keepers were employed to watch out for ships in distress. (doc.govt.nz)
- Supplies for keepers and their families were landed in the bay below the lighthouse and a tramway was used to haul them up to the lighthouse. (doc.govt.nz)
- The Needles Lighthouse was automated in 1994 and the keepers left the lighthouse for the last time on 8 December. (trinityhouse.co.uk)
- Listen to Lighthouse Keepers stories, about life on Rock Lighthouses. (visitcornwall.com)
- The image of the lighthouse as either a warning of danger or guiding you into a safe harbor, is a very strong one," says Ross. (cnn.com)
- Which is the first lighthouse seen when approaching the NJ/NY harbor? (angelfire.com)
- In 1822, a lighthouse was built on Billingsgate Island to guide vessels into Wellfleet Harbor, but some felt another beacon was needed on Mayo s Beach at the head of Wellfleet Bay, a few miles to the north, to direct mariners to the wharf. (lighthousefriends.com)
Function of the lighthouse2
- Now that modern technology has made the original function of the lighthouse obsolete, it primarily serves as a beacon for tourists, who like to come down to his part of Aruba to enjoy the spectacular views of the island. (klm.com)
- This focus on the sea is a theme that continues to the present and links closely to the function of the lighthouse. (gc.ca)
- Episode four, 'The Lighthouse,' has unfortunately little to do with the Virginia Woolf novel, unless you search really hard for allusions to cold and distant fathers, Mr. Ramsey, cough, cough. (blogcritics.org)
- Search for Kenting Lighthouse Lover Inn discounts in Hengchun with KAYAK. (kayak.com)
- Search for the cheapest hotel deal for Kenting Lighthouse Lover Inn in Hengchun. (kayak.com)
- When you search for hotels near Rubjerg Lighthouse with Hotels.com, you need to first check our online map and see the distance you will be from Rubjerg Lighthouse, Denmark. (hotels.com)
- Our maps are based on hotel search and display areas and neighborhoods of each hotel so you can see how close you are from Rubjerg Lighthouse and refine your search within Lokken or Denmark based on closest public transportation, restaurants and entertainment so you can easily get around the city. (hotels.com)
- One of the world's great lighthouses, the Portuguese Farol da Guia was the first western-style lighthouse built in China. (unc.edu)
- The World's Cruising Guide for Uganda Lighthouses. (marinas.com)
- Me and my bras would like to turn this free lighthouse into the world's first fully functional two-story sex bong. (fark.com)
- Please post images under the particular lighthouse (see Lighthouses by name for a list). (wikimedia.org)
- This way it is easier for people to find images of a particular lighthouse. (wikimedia.org)
- Exposition followed by description ending with reference to a storm--a placid memoir of a particular lighthouse (still standing) that's likely to snag only the biggest buff. (kirkusreviews.com)
- The Lizard Lighthouse is Cornwall's most southerly land lighthouse. (visitcornwall.com)
- Please check the Heritage centre is open before you visit: https://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/lighthouse-visitor-centres/lizard-lighthouse-visitor-centre or telephone 01326 290202. (visitcornwall.com)
- Hop along to the Lizard lighthouse. (visitcornwall.com)
- Check https://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/lighthouse-visitor-centres/lizard-lighthouse-visitor-centre for Terms and conditions. (visitcornwall.com)
- Question - Name the tallest lighthouse in New Jersey. (angelfire.com)
- Australia's tallest lighthouse. (flickr.com)
- What is known is that the construction of the tallest lighthouse on the Australian mainland, took just two years to complete and was ready for commissioning in 1890. (abc.net.au)
- The road travels for a distance between spectacular coastline and enormous sand dunes before arriving at the 19th Century lightstation, the tallest lighthouse on the Australian mainland. (abc.net.au)
- The Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation has been formed to promote the establishment of a lighthouse museum with future lighthouse tours and access. (orlandosentinel.com)
- AMERICAN SHOAL LIGHTHOUSE - FLORIDA KEYS Active: Yes Characteristics: Three-group flashing white every 15-seconds with two red sectors. (orlandosentinel.com)
- There are many lighthouses around Florida that are open to the public. (visitflorida.com)
- Letter to the Editor: I Was Seduced by the "Jesus" of "Jesus Calling" LTRP Note: At Lighthouse Trails, we believe that many Christians have been seduced by "another Jesus" who has come as an angel of light, goodness, and love through books such as Jesus Calling and The Shack. (lighthousetrailsresearch.com)
- US Supreme Court Declines to Stay Sentence of Man Imprisoned for Helping Ex-Lesbian Who Fled Country With Daughter LTRP Note: For several years, Lighthouse Trails has been following the story of Lisa Miller, her daughter Isabella, and the men who helped her escape. (lighthousetrailsresearch.com)
- In recent years it has been the subject of an extended controversy, as preservationists have protested plans for high-rise buildings that may block the view (and the light) from the lighthouse. (unc.edu)
- This gallery of photographs shines a light on the architecture of lighthouses across the continent. (europeana.eu)
- When Queensland separated from New South Wales in 1859 the new colony had only one lightstation: Cape Moreton Light on Moreton Island, which had a stone lighthouse erected in 1856. (wikipedia.org)
- A direct outcome of this inquiry was the construction of the Bustard Head Light south-east of Gladstone in 1867/68 and a lighthouse at Sandy Cape in 1870 - the first lighthouses built by the Queensland colonial government. (wikipedia.org)
- For the third lighthouse built by the Queensland colonial government (Lady Elliot Island Light erected on Lady Elliott's Island in 1872/73), Colonial Architect FDG Stanley designed a structure which utilised readily available local timber, specifying a hardwood frame clad with plated iron sheeting. (wikipedia.org)
- An eighth lighthouse of this type, Bulwer Island Light, was constructed at Bulwer Island in the Brisbane River in 1912, but is now inactive has been relocated. (wikipedia.org)
- Boston Light, the oldest light station and second oldest lighthouse structure in the USA. (wikipedia.org)
- At the time the only lighthouse which existed was Cape Moreton Light at Cape Moreton by the New South Wales Government in 1857. (wikipedia.org)
- So I think that that's why so many lighthouses that have been made redundant by satellite navigation and so on have been taken over by their local communities and still provided with a light in the tower -- because of that kind of significance that they have. (cnn.com)
- without the warning light of a lighthouse, the ship did not stand a chance and tragically sank in the Caribbean waters. (klm.com)
- But the sheer sight of the cape - and its handsome lighthouse, resplendent in the soft light - was more than invigorating. (nzherald.co.nz)
- The light creeping around the lighthouse in picture 2 even if it is very central in the frame works very well, probably my favourite of all four shots. (cambridgeincolour.com)
- A lighthouse is a tower, building, or other type of structure designed to emit light from a system of lamps and lenses and to serve as a navigational aid for maritime pilots at sea or on inland waterways. (wikipedia.org)
- He innovated in the choice of light sources, mountings, reflector design, the use of Fresnel lenses , and in rotation and shuttering systems providing lighthouses with individual signatures allowing them to be identified by seafarers. (wikipedia.org)
- The nighttime photos of lighthouses show the actual light beams coming from the lighthouse. (reference.com)
- In 'The Lighthouse,' the light shines on Hurley too. (blogcritics.org)
- Orbita's Lighthouse Pocket Flashlight, powered by a high-energy rechargeable #18650 Lithium-Ion battery, delivers an unprecedented level of intense white light with great efficacy. (candlepowerforums.com)
- This real Lighthouse has been shining a light for over 260 years, guiding ships safely home. (visitcornwall.com)
- The light no longer works, it was turned off 21 years ago and the Point Hicks lighthouse is now powered by a much smaller, more modern light. (abc.net.au)
- Congress appropriated $1,000 in 1837 and another $2,000 the following year for construction of Mayo s Beach Lighthouse, but when Lieutenant Edward Carpender visited the area while the lighthouse was under construction, he saw little need for the light and tried to have the work stopped. (lighthousefriends.com)
Left the lighthouse1
- In 1781 merchants and shipowners petitioned Trinity House for a lighthouse. (trinityhouse.co.uk)
- Negotiations must have failed because it was not until 1785 that Trinity House erected to the designs of R Jupp, for 30 years surveyor to the East India Company, three lighthouses at the Needles, St. Catherine's Point and Hurst Point. (trinityhouse.co.uk)
- Trinity House is a charity dedicated to safeguarding shipping and seafarers, providing education, support and welfare to the seafaring community with a statutory duty as a General Lighthouse Authority to deliver a reliable, efficient and cost-effective aids to navigation service for the benefit and safety of all mariners. (trinityhouse.co.uk)
- Visits to the lighthouse are managed by Cardona Heritage under licence from Trinity House. (visitcornwall.com)
- When working on the book, Ross turned to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- "the great center of lighthouse studies," as he calls it -- to illuminate his learning. (cnn.com)
- Question - When were the black and white spirals painted on the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, North Carolina? (angelfire.com)
- In his thirty-three tenure of office in what became the sub-department of harbours, lighthouses and pilots, Heath was responsible for supervising the opening of 13 new ports, establishing 33 lighthouses, 6 lightships and 150 small lights and marking the inner route of the Great Barrier Reef. (wikipedia.org)
- Question - Name two (2) of the three (3) New Jersey Lighthouses that have had Lightships associated with them. (angelfire.com)
- Name two (2) lighthouses chosen by the U.S. Lighthouse Service in 1921 to host an expermential radio beacon station? (angelfire.com)
- Question - Name the lighthouse in which the first radio fog beacon was installed in? (angelfire.com)
- For tourists, sun-lovers and history enthusiasts, the lighthouse also is a beacon for anyone trying to get away from civilization. (visitflorida.com)
- By 1873, the year of the inaugural Intercolonial Coast Lighthouse Conference in Sydney, Queensland had 39 lights along its coastline. (wikipedia.org)
- Between 1873 and 1901, 14 lighthouses were constructed in Queensland using hardwood framing and plated iron sheeting, and another 7 were constructed with hardwood frames and corrugated iron cladding. (wikipedia.org)
- Question - When the First Order Fresnel lens that was shipped to this lighthouse did not fit the lantern room, the lens was placed inside the Twin Lights of Navesink. (angelfire.com)
- For those who can bypass the buildings themselves and are interested only in lens lore and technology, the Maine Lighthouse Museum in Rockland has a diverse permanent collection of Fresnel lenses-the largest in the world. (travelandleisure.com)
- Perched on a bare granite headland, surrounded by Croajingolong National and World Biosphere park stands the 1890 Point Hicks Lighthouse with its historic Oregon timber cottages nestled below. (flickr.com)
- He modelled the shape of his lighthouse on that of an oak tree, using granite blocks. (wikipedia.org)
- The California Lighthouse is a 30-metre-high lighthouse on the north-western tip of Aruba. (klm.com)
- The lighthouse is named after the California, a British steam ship, that went down right off the coast in 1891. (klm.com)
- Adjacent to the dwelling is a foundation ring that indicates where a lighthouse used to stand, but to see this tower you will need to travel approximately 3,000 miles west to Point Montara , California, near San Francisco, where the lighthouse was transplanted in 1928. (lighthousefriends.com)
- Some photos feature waves crashing behind the lighthouse, and others feature silhouetted figures of people holding yoga poses. (reference.com)
- In a video captured by photographer Joshua Nowicki, the outer portion of the lighthouse is seen entirely caked in ice as furious waves spit water in all directions on the southeastern shore of Lake Michigan. (newser.com)
- This way people who are looking for lighthouse images in a particular country or region can more easily find your image. (wikimedia.org)
- Question - What can one find in the oil house at the Cape May Lighthouse? (angelfire.com)
- Past the well-manicured and carefully tended grounds of an 18-hole championship golf course, you will find Lighthouse Sound. (opentable.com)
- The other two bother me, the non vertical position of the lighthouse, I find off balances me, even sat down! (cambridgeincolour.com)
- Click on a pin below to find a Lighthouse Hospital in your state or territory, and find out more information about their key achievements in the project. (heartfoundation.org.au)
- We find out in 'The Lighthouse' that in his alternate reality, Jack Shephard has a son, young David, who does look a lot like his dad so no DNA testing is apparently necessary. (blogcritics.org)
- KAYAK searches hundreds of travel sites to help you find and book the hotel deal at Kenting Lighthouse Lover Inn that suits you best. (kayak.com)
- Surrounded by beached driftwood on a remote point and with its classic Canadian red and white colour scheme, this picturesque lighthouse reinforces the maritime heritage of its surroundings. (gc.ca)
- The Lighthouse,' directed by Jack Bender, reinforces the idea that this last season of Lost will be a parallel to its first season. (blogcritics.org)
- The twin timber lighthouses, and lightkeeper's residence at North Bluff, were constructed in 1866 to designs prepared by the Office of the Colonial Architect, Charles Tiffin. (wikipedia.org)
- A call for tenders for the construction of lighthouses and a lightkeeper's cottage on Woody Island was advertised in the Maryborough Chronicle on 26 May 1866. (wikipedia.org)
- This lighthouse marks a prominent cape about 100 km (60 mi) southwest of Tsugaru Strait. (unc.edu)
- Question - Name the last lightkeeper at the Cape May Lighthouse before its automation. (angelfire.com)
- For your summer vacation in Cape Cod, check out these family-friendly hotels in a variety of price ranges, and don't forget to visit the Cape's famed lighthouses. (parents.com)
- But after walking 20km over undulating terrain, the old lighthouse at Cape Brett in the Bay of Islands was a rejuvenating sight. (nzherald.co.nz)
- Beautifully restored in recent years and recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage site, it is one of China's best known and most visited lighthouses. (unc.edu)
- This web site, cited below as FOAL, has photos for many lighthouses in Aomori. (unc.edu)
- This site has many excellent photos of Japanese lighthouses. (unc.edu)
- This web site for Brazilian lighthouses has small photos and historical information for many of the major lights. (ibiblio.org)
- Since the lightstation was established in 1905, the lighthouse on this site has provided navigational aid to boats travelling between the Queen Charlotte Strait and Queen Charlotte Sound. (gc.ca)
- Adrian Furby's photo is above, a 2008 closeup is available, Portuguese Wikipedia has an article on the lighthouse with several good photos, Wikimedia has additional photos , Lighthouse Digest has a photo by Xavier Leroy, and Google has a satellite view and a 2014 street view by Chichuen Wong. (unc.edu)
- Photos and brief notes in English for lighthouses in all parts of the country. (unc.edu)
- Information and photos for the Shiriya Saki and Samekado lighthouses posted by the Hachinohe office of the Japanese Coast Guard. (unc.edu)
- The Coast Guard has the photo at right and a short page for the lighthouse, FOAL's page has good photos, Lighthouses of Japan also has a photo , Misty's Tour has a small photo , and Google has a street view and a satellite view . (unc.edu)
- Photos by various photographers available from Lighthouses.net. (ibiblio.org)
- Photos of 22 lighthouses by Haluk Özözlü. (ibiblio.org)
- Photos of 17 Mediterranean coast lighthouses posted by Bernd Claußen. (ibiblio.org)
- These resources offer professional photos of lighthouses that are free for personal use. (reference.com)
- The Caloundra Head Lighthouses played an integral role in Queensland's system of coastal navigation aids from the 1890s to the 1970s and remain prominent landmarks from Moreton Bay and in the Caloundra district. (wikipedia.org)
- For coastal communities across the globe, lighthouses are integral features of everyday life. (cnn.com)
- Two miles south of the Statue of Liberty is Robbins Reef Lighthouse. (angelfire.com)
- ALLIGATOR REEF LIGHTHOUSE - Islamorada, FL Active: Yes Characteristics: Four-group flashing white every 60-seconds with two red sectors. (orlandosentinel.com)
- The ministry hosted a groundbreaking ceremony for the construction of a lighthouse on Huayang Reef of the Nansha Islands on Tuesday morning, according to a statement sent to China Daily. (chinadaily.com.cn)