Human Rights Abuses
Emigrants and Immigrants
American physicians and dual loyalty obligations in the "war on terror". (1/46)BACKGROUND: Post-September 11, 2001, the U.S. government has labeled thousands of Afghan war detainees "unlawful combatants". This label effectively deprives these detainees of the protection they would receive as "prisoners of war" under international humanitarian law. Reports have emerged that indicate that thousands of detainees being held in secret military facilities outside the United States are being subjected to questionable "stress and duress" interrogation tactics by U.S. authorities. If true, American military physicians could be inadvertently becoming complicit in detainee abuse. Moreover, the American government's openly negative views towards such detainees could result in military physicians not wanting to provide reasonable care to detainees, despite it being their ethical duty to do so. DISCUSSION: This paper assesses the physician's obligations to treat war detainees in the light of relevant instruments of international humanitarian law and medical ethics. It briefly outlines how detainee abuse flourished in apartheid South Africa when state physicians became morally detached from the interests of their detainee patients. I caution U.S physicians not to let the same mindset befall them. I urge the U.S. medical community to advocate for detainee rights in the U.S, regardless of the political culture the detainee emerged from. I offer recommendations to U.S physicians facing dual loyalty conflicts of interest in the "war on terror". SUMMARY: If U.S. physicians are faced with a conflict of interest between following national policies or international principles of humanitarian law and medical ethics, they should opt to adhere to the latter when treating war detainees. It is important for the U.S. medical community to speak out against possible detainee abuse by the U.S. government. (+info)
Tracking gender-based human rights violations in postwar Kosovo. (2/46)Four years have passed since the institution of the cease-fire in Yugoslavia, and questions remain as to how Kosovar women are faring in the country's postwar reconstruction. Reports, albeit fragmented, suggest that violence against women began to increase in 1998 and 1999. This trend continued through 2001, even while rates of other major crimes decreased. Despite considerable local efforts to address the conditions of women, there remains a lack of systematic data documenting the scope and frequency of violent acts committed against women. A centralized surveillance system focused on tracking human rights abuses needs to be established to address this critical need for empirically based reports and to ultimately guide reform efforts. (+info)
The challenges and ethical dilemmas of a military medical officer serving with a peacekeeping operation in regard to the medical care of the local population. (3/46)Medical Officers serving with their national contingents in peacekeeping operations are faced with difficult ethical decisions in regard to their obligations to the local civilian population. Such populations may be under-resourced in regard to medical care, and vulnerable to abuse and exploitation. Though the medical officer may support the local medical services, he/she should never undermine these resources. Adopting a human rights approach and observing the requirements of ethical medicine, aids the doctor in prioritising his/her duties. At times there may be conflict with one's own military superiors. It is wise to discuss potential difficulties prior to setting out on the mission. Human rights abuses cannot be ignored. The medical officer has a duty to do his/her best to report their observations so as to prevent abuse or to bring it to an end. (+info)
Cultural context in medical ethics: lessons from Japan. (4/46)This paper examines two topics in Japanese medical ethics: non-disclosure of medical information by Japanese physicians, and the history of human rights abuses by Japanese physicians during World War II. These contrasting issues show how culture shapes our view of ethically appropriate behavior in medicine. An understanding of cultural context reveals that certain practices, such as withholding diagnostic information from patients, may represent ethical behavior in that context. In contrast, nonconsensual human experimentation designed to harm the patient is inherently unethical irrespective of cultural context. Attempts to define moral consensus in bioethics, and to distinguish between acceptable and unacceptable variation across different cultural contexts, remain central challenges in articulating international, culturally sensitive norms in medical ethics. (+info)
The physician-scientist, the state, and the oath: thoughts for our times. (5/46)Triggered by an encounter with survivors of the studies on twins conducted in Auschwitz by Joseph Mengele, who held both MD and PhD degrees, I offer thoughts on the extraordinary powers physician-scientists have to enhance or degrade human dignity. Biomedical science lacks intrinsic morality, but attains moral status by virtue of its purpose and the ethical framework that controls its conduct, both of which derive from the principles of medical humanism codified in the physician's oath. Physician-scientists have responsibilities to humankind that transcend the state. Careful analysis of historical examples of abuses of human rights committed in the name of medical science or the state is an important mechanism to safeguard current and future human participants. (+info)
Dangerous journey: documenting the experience of Tibetan refugees. (6/46)OBJECTIVES: Since the 1950 invasion of Tibet by China, Tibetan refugees have attempted to flee into Nepal over the Himalayan mountains. We documented the experiences of a group of refugees making this journey. METHODS: We conducted semistructured interviews with 50 recent refugees at the Tibetan Refugee Transit Centre in Kathmandu, Nepal. RESULTS: Participants ranged in age from 8 to 56 years, and 21 were female. The average length of their journey from Tibet to Nepal was 34 days. During their journey, a majority of the refugees encountered authorities or became involved in altercations with Nepali Maoist groups. Most of these interactions resulted in extortion and threats of expulsion. Several Tibetans were tortured, beaten with weapons, threatened with being shot, and robbed. Three women were sexually assaulted at gunpoint. CONCLUSIONS: The refugees who took part in this study experienced physical and mental hardships and, often, human rights abuses on their journey to Nepal. International pressure is needed to prevent human rights violations and reduce potential long-term physical and mental health effects associated with this dangerous crossing. (+info)
Risk for post-traumatic stress disorder associated with different forms of interpersonal violence in South Africa. (7/46)(+info)
Health and human rights concerns of drug users in detention in Guangxi Province, China. (8/46)(+info)
Perpetration of gross human rights violations in South Africa: association with psychiatric disorders
STEIN, Dan J et al. Perpetration of gross human rights violations in South Africa: association with psychiatric disorders. SAMJ, S. Afr. med. j. [online]. 2009, vol.99, n.5, pp.390-395. ISSN 2078-5135.. BACKGROUND: A nationally representative study of psychiatric disorders in South Africa provided an opportunity to study the association between perpetration of human rights violations (HRVs) during apartheid and psychiatric disorder. Prior work has suggested an association between perpetration and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), but this remains controversial. METHODS: Subjects reported on their perpetration of human rights violations, purposeful injury, accidental injury and domestic violence. Lifetime and 12-month prevalence of DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, 4th edition) disorders were assessed with Version 3.0 of the World Health Organization Composite International Diagnostic Interview (CIDI 3.0). Socio-demographic characteristics of these groups were calculated. Odds ...
Human rights abuse and other criminal violations in Port-au-Prince, Haiti: a random survey of households. - September 19, 2006
by Athena Kolbe, Dr. Royce Hutson. Reliable evidence of the frequency and severity of human rights abuses in Haiti after the departure of the elected president in 2004 was scarce. We assessed data from a random survey of households in the greater Port-au-Prince area. METHODS: Using random Global Positioning System (GPS) coordinate sampling, 1260 households (5720 individuals) were sampled. They were interviewed with a structured questionnaire by trained interviewers about their experiences after the departure of President Jean-Bertrand Aristide. The response rate was 90.7%. Information on demographic characteristics, crime, and human rights violations was obtained. FINDINGS: Our findings suggested that 8000 individuals were murdered in the greater Port-au-Prince area during the 22-month period assessed. Almost half of the identified perpetrators were government forces or outside political actors. Sexual assault of women and girls was common, with findings suggesting that 35,000 women were ...
Brazil lawmakers investigate human rights abuses
BRASILIA Brazil (AP) - Brazilian legislators have started investigating human rights abuses committed during the South American countrys past military regime. Congresswoman Luiza Erundina tells reporters the move is meant to Full version (available...
Report: A decade after Hussein, Iraq still grapples with human rights abuses - CNN
Ten years after the fall of Saddam Hussein, Iraq remains enmeshed in a grim cycle of human rights abuses, Amnesty International said in a report Monday.
Trudeau says very credible reports back allegations of human rights abuses against Uyghur minority in China | Watch News...
Watch Trudeau says very credible reports back allegations of human rights abuses against Uyghur minority in China Video Online, on GlobalNews.ca
Intersex human rights reports - Wikipedia
Intersex people are born with sex characteristics, such as chromosomes, gonads, or genitals that, according to the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, do not fit the typical definitions for male or female bodies. Such variations may involve genital ambiguity, and combinations of chromosomal genotype and sexual phenotype other than XY-male and XX-female. Intersex infants and children may be subject to stigma, discrimination and human rights violations, including in education, employment and medical settings. Human rights violations in medical settings are increasingly recognized as human rights abuses. Other human rights and legal issues include the right to life, access to justice and reparations, access to information, and legal recognition. Implementation of rights protections in legislation and regulation has been slower. Few countries so far protect intersex people from discrimination, or provide access to reparations for harmful practices. This page summarizes reports and ...
UNs Assessment of Human Rights Violations in Occupied Palestine | indymedia.org.il
Continued Israeli oppression in Occupied Palestine.. UNs Assessment of Human Rights Violations in Occupied Palestine - by Stephen Lendman. John Dugard is The UN Human Rights Councils Special Rapporteur on Palestine and a rare public official. In January 2008, he assessed the situation in Occupied Palestine (OPT). It was detailed, inclusive and honest. This article discusses his findings in-depth. Most of them have been widely reported, but they bear repeating nonetheless. Its because, in this instance, theyre from an agency of the 192 member states world body. Its hoped that source highlights their importance and adds to their credibility.. From September 25 to October 1, 2007, Dugard visited Gaza, Jerusalem, Ramallah, Bethlehem, Jericho, Nablus, Qalqiliya and the Jordan valley and held extensive meetings with: Palestinian and Israeli NGOs, UN agencies, Palestinian and Jordanian officials, academics, businessmen, and independent interlocutors. He also went to Gazan factories and West Bank ...
Open Letter to Najib Razak - Human Rights Violations at Murum Dam Site: Urgent Concerns | Sarawak Report
The following letter was sent on behalf of international, regional, and national organizations to express urgent concerns over the threats, intimidation and criminalization of Indigenous Penan families protesting at the Murum Hydroelectric Dam site in Sarawak. It can be downloaded here: Human Rights Violations of Penan Indigenous Protesters at Murum Dam Site. Monday 11th November, 2013. Dato Sri Mohammed Najib bin Tun Abdul Razak. Office of the Prime Minister. Main Block, Perdana Putra Building. Federal Government Administrative Centre. 62502 Putrajaya, MALAYSIA. Via e-mail: [email protected]. RE: Situation of Penan Families At Murum Dam Site, Sarawak. Dear Prime Minister Najib,. On behalf of the undersigned organizations, we are writing to express our serious concern about the situation of hundreds of Indigenous Penan women, men and children who are peacefully protesting at the site of the Murum Hydroelectric Project and have been cordoned off by a barricade of armed police, as of 5 November, ...
Human Rights Violations in Medicine: A-to-Z Action Guide (Sneak Peek) | Pamela Wible MD
From sex trafficking to censorship, human rights violations may be perpetrated by dictators in war-torn countries & administrators in first-world hospitals.
Human Rights Violations in China: Forced Abortions, Sterilization, and… The Unspeakable « Biltrix
The following video only begins to tell the gruesome tale: News reports of Chen Guangcheng, who escaped house arrest just over a week ago, drew Americas attention to Chinas human rights violations last week, despite the the fact that many mainstream news outlets initially failed to report on Chens staunch pro-life advocacy. Not surprisingly, anti-abortion groups also…
Letter to Prime Minister David Cameron on Indonesia | Human Rights Watch
Rt. Hon David Cameron. 10 Downing Street. London. SW1A 2AA. Dear Prime Minister,. I am writing in response to your comments about Indonesia during your trip there last week. While you were right to say that Indonesia has made significant progress in terms of the consolidation of democracy and the growth of a strong civil society and independent media, I respectfully suggest that you have overstated the extent of Indonesias transformation, and therefore the extent to which it should be championed by the UK as a model for other Muslim-majority countries to emulate. Specifically, Human Rights Watch remains very concerned by serious, ongoing human rights abuses in Indonesia.. While Indonesias senior officials pay lip service to protecting human rights, they have done far too little to ensure accountability for human rights abuses committed by Indonesian security forces. As you know, the Indonesian military is still actively engaged in an internal armed conflict in Papua. You yourself, two years ...
Paraguay: Organisations Denounce Human Rights Abuses Before IACHR ‹ The Argentina Independent
The Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR), an autonomous organ of the Organisation of American States (OAS), held a hearing on the general situation of human rights in Paraguay in Washington, US, on Friday and various Paraguayan organisations brought grievances to address.. Among the most important issues presented were the Curuguaty Massacre of last June and the so-called parliamentary coup against Fernando Lugo last year. The organisations demanded that the commission urge Paraguayan state investigation into the allegations of torture in the Curuguaty incident.. They also asked for clarification regarding the procedure for the seizure of lands belonging to the Cuyabia indigenous community. The same request was made on the continuous felling of the Ayoreo Totobiegosode Natural and Cultural Heritage Site.. The organisations alerted the Commission to the recent murders of three farming leaders. They also asked them to help get the threats against human rights advocates in the ...
Impunity - Wikipedia
Impunity means exemption from punishment or loss or escape from fines. In the international law of human rights, it refers to the failure to bring perpetrators of human rights violations to justice and, as such, itself constitutes a denial of the victims right to justice and redress. Impunity is especially common in countries that lack a tradition of the rule of law, suffer from corruption or that have entrenched systems of patronage, or where the judiciary is weak or members of the security forces are protected by special jurisdictions or immunities. The amended Set of Principles for the Protection and Promotion of Human Rights Through Action to Combat Impunity, submitted to the United Nations Commission on Human Rights on 8 February 2005, defines impunity as: the impossibility, de jure or de facto, of bringing the perpetrators of violations to account - whether in criminal, civil, administrative or disciplinary proceedings - since they are not subject to any inquiry that might lead to ...
Escalating Violence against Coptic Women and Girls: Will the New Egypt be more Dangerous than the Old? | CSCE
This hearing examined evidence that, as Egypts political and social crisis persists, violence against Coptic women and girls is escalating, including kidnappings, forced conversions, and other human rights abuses. According to a new report released at the hearing by Michele Clark, at least 550 Coptic women and girls over the last five years have been kidnapped from their communities. The few who have been found suffered human rights abuses including forced conversion, rape, forced marriage, beatings, and domestic servitude while being held by their captors, raising the question
Blog to End the Occupation: 2011
Diamonds are a luxury fashion commodity and anything that tarnishes the public perception of diamonds can cause irreparable damage to the brand image in a relatively short period. The diamond brand image suffered badly in the 90s as a result of the exposure by Global Witness of diamond-funded gross human rights violation in some African countries. The term blood diamonds became widely know and the a film of that name starring Leonardo di-Caprio cemented the public association between diamonds and gross human rights violations. In response, the industry introduced regulations known as the Kimberley Process Certification Scheme (KP) which purports to end the trade in conflict diamonds. However, the KP was seriously flawed from the outset as it only regulates rough diamonds used by rebel groups…. As a result of this sleight of hand the Israeli diamond industry evades the regulations, and regardless of what human rights violations they may be funding, Israeli diamonds cannot be classed as ...
A Cautionary Tale of Regulating Corporate Human Rights Abuses | Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
In other words, in the large majority of cases that were Concluded or Withdrawn, the process had not reached a mutually satisfactory outcome. Only 49 from our 191 cases in this category were resolved to the satisfaction of both parties. If we take this as a global proportion of all cases we analysed, then approximately 1 in 8 of the total number of 403 cases reached an outcome that satisfied both the corporation and the complainant. Counted as an annual total this equates to around 3-4 cases per year.. In scrutinising the detail of those cases, we found a series of blockages in the system that prevented a mutually satisfactory conclusion. Our analysis identified four major weaknesses within the Guidelines rooted in its voluntary characteristics. Firstly, companies often refuse to engage with NCPs. Secondly, NCPs often display a lack of political will to intervene in ways that challenge corporations. Thirdly, even if there was a clearer political will, NCPs cannot oblige or coerce companies ...
Address by Minister Freeland delivered in the House of Commons in support of sanctions for human rights abuses and foreign...
In Canada and around the world, the issue of human rights sanctions and the Sergei Magnitsky case have drawn strong interest, and rightly so.
Abu Ghraib torture and prisoner abuse - Wikipedia
In June 2003, Amnesty International published reports of human rights abuse by the U.S. military and its coalition partners at detention centers and prisons in Iraq. These included reports of brutal treatment at Abu Ghraib prison, which had once been used by the government of Saddam Hussein, and had been taken over by the United States after the invasion. On June 20, 2003, Abdel Salam Sidahmed, Deputy Director of AIs Middle East Program, described an uprising by the prisoners against the conditions of their detention, saying The notorious Abu Ghraib Prison, centre of torture and mass executions under Saddam Hussein, is yet again a prison cut off from the outside world. On 13 June there was a protest in this prison against indefinite detention without trial. Troops from the occupying powers killed one person and wounded seven.. On July 23, 2003, Amnesty International issued a press release condemning widespread human rights abuses by U.S. and coalition forces. The release stated that ...
11.10.99 - Program to Track Global Traffic in Organs
Posted November 10, 1999 In some parts of India, poor people use their kidneys as collateral for money lenders who have come to expect desperate people to sell their body organs. In South Africa, eyes from the corpses of poor -- mostly black -- people in police mortuaries have been harvested without consent and delivered to a local eye bank, then appear later at medical centers in other countries. These are two examples of a growing international traffic in human organs that until now has been largely unmonitored and prone to human rights abuses. This week, a new Organs Watch program, the only one of its kind in the world, was launched by four professors -- two from Berkeley and two from Columbia University Medical School. Their new documentation center located at Berkeley will investigate reports and rumors of human rights abuses surrounding organ trafficking, identify hot spots where abuse may be occurring and begin to define the line between ethical transplant surgery and practices that are ...
Average is a human rights abuse - ADC Online Blog
This article in the Journal of Medical Ethics was directed at Archi from the Editor of E&P, and has got me all thoughtful about how a simple understanding of statistics is essential to everyone, even those working with the judiciary.. The team writing this study reviewed the decisions of forensic physicians who were determining if the age of adolescents involved in French judicial proceedings for criminal or asylum purposes, looking to see if their decisions were supported by the best quality evidence. The key finding - that they often were not - seemed to frequently centre on the average.. Let me explain. If a wrist X-ray gives a skeletal age of 8 years 2 months … this isnt true. Its the average age of the folk who were x-rayed to make up the atlas. Some might have been 7 years, others 9 years 10 months. The truth is most likely to be about 8yr 2m, but may be wildly different. The spread of ages is captured with the standard deviation, and about 95% of the ages will be within 2 standard ...
Robert Skidelsky - Debate: Is Military Intervention over Kosovo Justified? Skidelsky vs. Ignatieff
I couldnt disagree with you more, but we need to clear away the areas of common ground in order to figure out exactly where our disagreement lies. I agree with you that there should be a general presumption in favour of state sovereignty in international affairs. Such a presumption provides alibis for dictators, but it also protects weak but democratic states from more powerful neighbours. Where states are democratic, their sovereignty is also an expression of their peoples right to self-determination. So there are reasons of principle not to interfere in states whose internal affairs we find disagreeable. I also accept that human rights abuses, by themselves, do not legitimise military intervention. Other kinds of soft intervention-formal protests, assistance to persecuted groups, boycotts and sanctions-are preferable. Military intervention should always be an instrument of absolute last resort. So the question is to define when human rights abuses in another country justify that last ...
Why European leaders must challenge Indonesia President Joko Widodo on human rights abuses
The death penalty, the Supreme Court claims, is an act of retribution; so whatever suffering the condemned endure is part of the price they pay for their crimes. Punishment, after all, is meant to inflict pain. And while the Court disapproves of any form of physical abuse of prisoners (such as beatings, prolonged sleep deprivation, or withholding food and water or necessary medications), thus far it has ignored mental suffering endured by men and women condemned to death. In the Courts reasoning, even though life sentences without parole are available, only a death for a death will do. In Gregg, the Court says: Retribution is an expression of the communitys belief that certain crimes are themselves so grievous an affront to humanity that the only adequate response may be the penalty of death. And, as I noted in my letter to Pope John Paul II, the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that killing human beings is not an assault on their dignity. Thus, by legal ...
Human Rights Abuses in China - The Mandate
American Congressmen working to free Chinese immigrant prisoners By Roy Maynard Growing congressional concern over the fate of Chinese refugees could unlock the prison…
World Bank Groups financial intermediaries linked to various human rights abuses in Southeast Asia; companies & the IFC...
29 April 2017. ...We have read IDIs report and while we share concern for the communities negatively impacted by some of the projects mentioned, we find many factual inaccuracies in the report. As it has been communicated to IDI on numerous occasions during the report compilation, many of the sub-projects mentioned either pre-date or fall outside the scope of IFCs investment with the financial institutions (FIs) mentioned. In many other cases, the FIs have no exposure to the projects cited.... In leveraging our reach and scale through financial intermediaries, however, IFC cannot have the same level of oversight of the sub-projects supported by our FI clients as with our direct investments. But this work is a development imperative, and we are committed to supporting our clients and reducing the E&S risks in our portfolio. As part of this ongoing process, we are making some important additional improvements to the way we work, as our CEO, Philippe Le Houérou explains in his blog Re-examining ...
Human Rights Abuses In China - The Mandate
Millions Suffer While The Government Is Rewarded By The Clinton Administration By Rep. Chris Smith _The following article contains the remarks of United States…
Deforestation, Human Rights Abuse, Animal Extinction and the One Industry That Unites Them All - One Green PlanetOne Green...
To get a full picture of how palm production impacts an entire ecosystem and the many dynamic individuals that call that system home, lets take a look into the environmental, animal, and human impact of palm oil production.
What a cheek! Russia criticises U.S. for its human rights abuses | Daily Mail Online
'The situation in the United States is a far cry from the ideals that Washington proclaims,' says a newly-released report on global injustice.
cfp | call for papers
post 9/11 civil and/or human rights abuses. Examples of questions that essays might engage include the following ones: what role does testimonial evidence of human rights abuses play in ...
The Common Ills: Human rights abuses and Hillary delusions
We do not open attachments. Stop e-mailing them. Threats and abusive e-mail are not covered by any privacy rule. This isnt to the reporters at a certain paper (keep em coming, they are funny). This is for the likes of failed comics who think they can threaten via e-mails and then whine, E-mails are supposed to be private. E-mail threats will be turned over to the FBI and they will be noted here with the names and anything I feel like quoting. This also applies to anyone writing to complain about a friend of mine. Thats not why the public account exists ...
OHCHR | Corporations must be held accountable for human rights violations
This case is one of several brought against Shell in relation to the violent suppression of the Movement for the Survival of the Ogoni people, a group campaigning for the rights of local people and protesting against pollution caused by oil companies. Nine of the Movements members, including its leader, well-known writer Ken Saro-Wiwa, were hanged in 1995 after being convicted of murder by a military tribunal. The executions of the Ogoni nine, as they are known globally, were condemned by governments and human rights activists around the world.. Since the Second World War and the Nuremberg war crimes trials, international law has held that human rights abuses can be prosecuted around the globe. A motion to have the original case dismissed on the grounds that it could more conveniently be heard in England was overturned, with the Court of Appeals ruling the United States was a proper forum because the defendants had an office in New York.. In 2009, after more than a decade in the American ...
Reports Finds Widespread Human Rights Violations In Policing Of Occupy Protests | Georgia Public Broadcasting
The New York Police Department has shown a pattern of abusive and unaccountable protest policing during the Occupy protests, a wide consortium of legal experts detail in a report (PDF) issued today.. The lawyers say NYPD officers violated human rights in hundreds of instances, yet there has been near-complete impunity for alleged abuses. Only one officer has been disciplined throughout the protests that started last fall.. The excessive and unpredictable policing of Occupy Wall Street is one more example of the dire need for widespread reform of NYPD practices. These violations are occurring against a backdrop of police infiltration of activist groups, massive stop-and-frisk activity in communities of color, and the surveillance of Muslims, Emi MacLean, a human rights lawyer and primary author of the report, said in a statement. This report is a call to action.. The report is a the first by the Protest and Assembly Rights Project, which was started by a group of law clinics including The ...
In March 2015, President Muhammadu Buhari was elected to a four-year term, replacing Goodluck Jonathan. The new administration is confronted with a multitude of profound human rights challenges, ranging from the conflict in the northeast between the militant group Boko Haram and Nigerias security forces; the humanitarian crisis faced by 2.5 million internally displaced persons, particularly women and girls; and corruption and weak governance in public sector institutions, including in law enforcement and legislative frameworks. The human rights abuses suffered by LGBT people in Nigeria following the enactment of the SSMPA must be understood within this broader context, and not in isolation from or as exception to other human rights violations.. According to the Nigeria Bureau of Statistics, the unemployment rate was recorded at 12.1 percent in the first quarter of 2016, or 9.485 million unemployed people. Nigeria is a country in which religion plays a significant role in peoples lives, ...
Leaders get immunity at new African rights court
July 03, 2014. By MICHELLE FAUL. Associated Press Leaders at an African summit have voted to give themselves and their allies immunity from prosecution for war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide at a new African Court of Justice and Human Rights.. The decision comes as the continent confronts human rights violations and has two sitting presidents and one ousted president facing charges at the International Criminal Court.. Amnesty International called it a backward step in the fight against impunity and a betrayal of victims of serious violations of human rights.. At a time when the African continent is struggling to ensure that there is accountability for serious human rights violations and abuses, it is impossible to justify this decision which undermines the integrity of the African Court of Justice and Human Rights, even before it becomes operational, said Amnestys Netsanet Belay.. The decision came June 27 at an African Union summit vote in Equatorial Guinea from which ...
Israeli Human Rights Violations in the OPT 26 Jul - 1 Aug | Scoop News
Weekly Report Palestinian Centre for Human Rights 02/08/2012 Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) Continue Systematic Attacks against Palestinian Civilians and Property in the Occupied Palestinian Territory (OPT)
UN Investigator Accuses Israel of Human Rights Violations in Palestinian Territories - 2003-03-27
Israel says investigators report to the UN Human Rights Commission in Geneva is unbalanced and fails to take the threats Israel faces
OHCHR | Healing the wounds of the past for a better future in Togo
The Commission was established in 2009 and was mandated to shed light on acts of political violence committed between 1958 and 2005 and identify the people responsible for these acts; propose measures for reparations for the victims; and make recommendations to the Togolese Government on the fate of convicted perpetrators of grave human rights violations, as well as measures to prevent recurrence of such acts.. The UN Human Rights office believes that truth and reconciliation commissions are the driving force of transitional justice, which has been used to resolve crises after mass human rights violations, and prevent vengeance and future escalation of violence. During 34 months, the Commission gathered some 22,400 statements from across the country, the Togolese diaspora abroad and on the internet. Eventually, only 523 cases were submitted for hearing. The Commissioners explained that it would have taken them 17 years to hear all those who had made statements. The Commissioners and ...
Beyond Pesticides Daily News Blog » Blog Archive Six Largest Pesticide Manufacturers Stand Trial at International Peoples...
Beyond Pesticides, December 5, 2011) On December 3, the 27th anniversary of the Bhopal pesticide plant disaster in Bhopal, India, a trial began in an international peoples court in India involving the worlds six largest pesticide companies: Monsanto, Syngenta, Bayer, BASF, Dow and Dupont. These companies, collectively known as the Big 6, are cited by prosecutors for their human rights violations, including internationally recognized rights to life, livelihood and health. Beyond Pesticides joined Pesticide Action Network (PAN) and others in signing a joint statement demanding that these companies be held accountable for their human rights violations, which was presented at the trial. The trial, hosted by PAN International, is facilitated by the Permanent Peoples Tribunal (PTT), an international opinion tribunal independent from State authorities. The prosecutions 230-page indictment outlines the global threats to human rights. It begins: The victims and survivors of [pesticide industry] ...
SARS Reform: Presidential Panel recommends 37 officers for dismissal, 24 for prosecution | Naija247news
By Oladapo Udom. Lagos, Oct. 16, 2020 The Presidential Panel on Reform of SARS has recommended 37 police officers for dismissal and 24 for prosecution following 113 complaints on alleged human rights violations from across the country received by the Panel.. This is contained in a statement signed by the Police Service Commissions (PSC) Head, Press and Public Relations, Ikechukwu Ani, and made available to newsmen on Friday in Lagos.. The statement said that the Executive Secretary, National Human Rights Commission, Tony Ojukwu, solicited the support of the PSC in the implementation of the aspects of the Report covered by PSC constitutional mandate.. According to the statement, Ojukwu made the solicitation while formally presenting the 2018 Report of the Presidential Panel to the PSC.. The Presidential Panel had among other things investigated allegations of human rights violations and abuse of office against SARS and recommended reform or restructuring of the outfit, the statement quoted ...
Contents : Fragile Memory, Shifting Impunity
Fragile Memory, Shifting Impunity is an interdisciplinary study of commemorative sites related to human rights violations committed primarily during dictatorial rule in Argentina (1976-1983) and Uruguay (1973-1985). Taking as a departure point the politics of memory - a term that acknowledges memorys propensity for engagement beyond the cultural sphere - this study shifts the focus away from exclusively aesthetic and architectural readings of marches, memorials and monuments to instead analyse their emergence and transformation in post-dictatorship Argentina and Uruguay. This book incorporates the role of state and societal actors and conflicts underpinning commemorative processes into its analysis, reading the sites within shifting contexts of impunity to explore their relationship to memory, truth seeking and justice in the long aftermath of dictatorship ...
Easy Availability of Weapons Multiplies Probability of Death, Grave Human Rights Violations in Communities throughout World,...
GARY MAUSER, representing the National Firearms Association of Canada, said he had a 20-year career in academic research on firearms and crime. In his professional opinion, there was no empirical evidence to support claims that civilian access to small arms and light weapons engendered criminal or terrorist violence. A wide variety of other factors had been found important, however: lack of economic freedom; organized crime; non-democratic government; governmental corruption; drug trafficking; and a history of violent ethnic conflict. Indeed, surveys showed that firearm ownership was highly concentrated among the largest and wealthiest societies, which were also the most politically stable countries in the world and typically had low levels of violence. And even if gun bans worked, many alternative weapons were available to would-be murderers - eight decades of police-state enforcement of handgun prohibition would have kept Russian gun ownership low, yet its murder rates had long been four times ...
Turkish Politics in Action: Alleged Intimidation of Iranian Refugees a Potential Problem for Turkey
Turkey was among the first, if not the first, country to congratulate Iranian President Ahmadinejad on his disputed election victory this past July. While it could well be argued that Turkey did not want to make an enemy of the Iranian regime by criticizing the election, the Turkish government broke its diplomatic silence after the phone call when Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu described the election as dynamic and well-attended, calling on dissidents to succumb to the result while refraining to comment on the human rights violations that caused other governments to raise concern. In October, Prime Minister Erdogan again decided not to comment on continued human rights violations in Iran, critcizing NATO policy toward Irans nuclear pursuits as failing to take into account Irans need to develop critical infastructure while calling the country a friend with which it has had no difficulties ...
Nigeria | Front Line Defenders
Since 2009, an Islamist armed group known as Boko Haram has been carrying out acts of violence and terrorist attacks in parts of Northern and Central Nigeria. In their response, Nigerian security forces have also perpetrated serious human rights violations. HRDs, often caught in the middle of the conflict, are increasingly targeted by both sides, and work under great fear and insecurity. There were reports of threats and intimidation of HRDs and journalists by Boko Haram as well as of bombing of media outlets. As a consequence, many journalists have stopped reporting on the security situation in certain areas while others continue to operate under great fear of retaliation. Similarly, many lawyers taking up cases of human rights violations have closed their practices for fear of reprisals or relocated to safer areas to continue their work.. Women HRDs face serious challenges especially in certain areas of the country including the Northern states, where Sharia law is applied, the South-East and ...
Reports Finds Widespread Human Rights Violations In Policing Of Occupy Protests | WFAE
The New York Police Department has shown "a pattern of abusive and unaccountable protest policing" during the Occupy protests, a wide consortium
LEX SUSTINEO: Corporate liability for human rights violations in Canada?
The views expressed here are solely the authors and should not be attributed to any of their firms or clients. The material and information provided on this website are for general information only and should not be relied on as legal or business advice or as a legal opinion. The authors make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, currency, or adequacy of any information linked or referred to or contained on this blog. No person should act or refrain from acting in reliance on any information found on this blog without first obtaining appropriate professional advice from a consultant or from a lawyer duly licensed to practice law in the relevant province, state, territory or country. These materials do not create a solicitor-client relationship between you and any author. Please note that the authors will not provide free legal, financial or other advice. Please dont send us any confidential information or questions by email or otherwise because any information ...
Human Rights Violation Activity
Your browser is not supported. Some parts of this page may not work. Please update your browser for a better experience. Update Browser ...
CRPF denies RTI query on pellet guns, says there were no human rights violations | india-news | Hindustan Times
The use of the controversial pellet guns as a non-lethal weapon has been much criticised as its use during the 2016 unrest led to the death of at least 10 people and blinded scores.
Chechnya: Prague Hearing Casts Spotlight On Rights Violations
In a Renaissance palace set amid the quiet, manicured gardens of Prague Castle, tales of war, killing and abominable brutality were told last week. The subject: Chechnya. The occasion: a public hearing to examine allegations of war crimes and human rights violations by Russian forces in the...
China: Joint Letter to the Human Rights Council calling for a sustaining attention to human rights violations in China | Uyghur...
In the past, the Chinese Government has openly expressed its displeasure with critical scrutiny of its human rights record. Such reactions demonstrate that China is sensitive to international attention. Public recognition at the Human Rights Council that China should be bound by its international human rights obligations will again give hope to thousands of defenders, lawyers, petitioners and others who seek to promote human rights in the country. At a time when human rights are increasingly under threat, the Human Rights Council should ensure that all its members, including China, uphold the highest standards of human rights and fully cooperate with the Council and its mechanisms, as required by UN General Assembly Resolution 60/251. In so doing, the Council will continue to act in accordance with its founding principles, and in defence of universal human rights everywhere. Please be assured, Excellency, of our highest consideration.. Amnesty International. Cairo Institute for Human Rights ...
Two Weeks Notice: A Latin American Politics Blog: August 2007
Abstract: Since the 1980s, states have been increasingly addressing past human rights violations using multiple transitional justice mechanisms including domestic and international human rights trials. In the mid-1980s, scholars of transitions to democracy generally concluded that trials for past human rights violations were politically untenable and likely to undermine new democracies. More recently, some international relations experts have echoed the pessimistic claims of the early `trial skeptics and added new concerns about the impact of trials. Yet, relatively little multicountry empirical work has been done to test such claims, in part because no database on trials was available. The authors have created a new dataset of two main transitional justice mechanisms: truth commissions and trials for past human rights violations. With the new data, they document the emergence and dramatic growth of the use of truth commissions and domestic, foreign, and international human rights trials in the ...
UN Official Insists on Swift Action to End Abuses in South Sudan | Voice of America - English
There has been a massive increase in human rights abuses in South Sudan over the past nine months, partly because of the failure of the international community to set up a court and bring perpetrators to justice, a U.N. official said Tuesday. The scale of human rights abuses in South Sudan, particularly sexual violence, is so horrifying that the consequences of doing nothing are unthinkable, said Yasmin Sooka, chairwoman of the U.N. Commission on Human Rights in South Sudan. Sooka told the U.N.
Weekly Report: On Israeli Human Rights Violations in the Occupied Palestinian Territory (14 March 2001) - Palestinian Centre...
The Centre is an independent Palestinian human rights organization (registered as a non-profit Ltd. Company) based in Gaza City. The Centre enjoys Consultative Status with the ECOSOC of the United Nation. It is an affiliate of the International Commission of Jurists-Geneva; the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) - Pairs; member of the Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Network - Copenhagen; member of the International Legal Assistance Consortium (ILAC) - Stockholm ...
Philipines dismisses UN report on human rights violations | SaveDelete
The Philippines government has dismissed a UN human rights report which had claimed that the country had acted with impunity during its war on drugs, as
Air pollution major cause for human rights violation in Mongolia: UN - World - The Jakarta Post
Mongolis should promote human rights in the context of environmental protection, according to United Nations Special Rapporteur on human rights and the environment.
Right to Truth Day - messages | United Nations
The International Day for the Right to the Truth Concerning Gross Human Rights Violations honours the memory of victims of heinous and systematic abuses.. The day coincides with the anniversary of the murder of Monsignor Oscar Romero, who was killed four decades ago for speaking out against injustice and impunity in El Salvador.. On this Day, we honour the bravery and determination of victims, civil society representatives and community leaders around the world who relentlessly strive for a better future, guided by the compass of human dignity. Their efforts to uncover the truth about gross human rights violations and the circumstances in which they were committed is an inspiration and a service to us all.. Truth opens the path to justice, reparation and healing. It helps us overcome prejudice, divisive narratives and extreme polarization. It also helps address the root causes of conflict and prevent its recurrence. This also why The Highest Aspiration -- my Call to Action for Human Rights - ...
EndSARS: Pyrates demand end to police impunity, calls for reform - The Sun Nigeria
While calling on the Police Command to ensure justice and compensation for all the victims of the past few days of police brutality against unarmed protesters he urged the Police leadership to provide concrete plans on the deep and incisive police reforms to replace impunity with professionalism and truly make the Nigerian Police a world class outfit.. The statement read in part:. SARS must not be shut down only in words. The dreadful impunity that has unfortunately defined this must not be given another cycle of abuse of citizens and human rights in the stamp of another terminology. #EndSARS must truly mean #EndSARS.. We welcome the idea of a Citizens and Strategic Stakeholders Forum and hope that this will be an all inclusive forum. We look forward to making representations to the Investigation Team that is expected to honestly include civil society organizations and human rights bodies to work with the Police in investigating alleged cases of human rights violations.. Rest assured ...
American-bred human rights violation Archives - San Francisco Bay View
The current campaign to elect a sheriff for the City and County of San Francisco can and must become San Franciscos eyes wide open opportunity to review what it can do to identify and promulgate a new path for the City on how it will create quantifiable change in the San Francisco County Jail and Youth Detention Centers disproportionate incarceration of African American and Hispanic men, women and youth. Vote for John Robinson for Sheriff on Nov. 3, 2015 ...
Separatist Kurdish Factions: Human Rights Violations and Racism - Global ResearchGlobal Research - Centre for Research on...
Recent reports show Kurdish flags painted on Assyrian reliefs in Dohuk, not once, but twice in quick succession. There is evidence of hammering and chiseling taking place, as well as numerous suspected bullet holes. The Kurdistan Regional Government have not condemned these acts or committed any resources to watching over and protecting Assyrian heritage.. Every time the Kurds failed in an attack against Turkey, they would migrate to Syria and try to claim Syrian land as their own. For instance, they tried to claim the Syrian city of Ayn al Arab, naming it Kobani/Kobane. The origin of the name is the word company, a reference to a German railway company that built the Konya-Baghdad railway. The Kurds also claimed Al Qamishli, another Syrian city, as their illegal capital and renamed it Qamislo/Qamishlo.. Its worth mentioning that Kurds are not even a majority in the land they claim as theirs in northeast Syria. For example, in the governorate of Al Hasakah, they amount to about 30 to 40 ...
Beyond Disagreement: Open Remedies in Human Rights Adjudication - Oxford Scholarship
Examining the role of open remedies in human rights adjudication, this book provides a new perspective informing comparative constitutional debates on how to structure institutional relationships over fundamental rights and freedoms. Open remedies declare a human rights violation but invite the other branches of government to decide what corrective action should be taken. Open remedies are premised on the need to engage institutions beyond courts in the process of thinking about and acting on human rights problems. This book considers examples across the United States, South Africa, Canada, and internationally, emphasising their similarities and differences in design and the diverse ways they could operate in practice. The book investigates these possibilities through the first systematic legal and empirical study of the declaration of incompatibility model under the United Kingdom Human Rights Act. This new model provides a non-binding declaration that the law has infringed human rights standards,
Eritrea: Human Rights Council must increase attention to violations | Pambazuka News
In March, 44 countries called on the Government of Eritrea to end its use of arbitrary detention and torture of its citizens. Christian Solidarity Worldwide, Human Rights Concern - Eritrea and the East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Project welcomed this long overdue attention paid to the widespread and systematic human rights violations continuing in Eritrea for over a decade. In a statement to the UN Human Rights Council, states from Africa, Asia, Caribbean, Europe, Latin America and North America expressed their concerns about the governments refusal to hold national elections or allow opposition parties, independent media or international non-governmental organisations to operate.. ...
Canada: Falun Gong Calls for Attention of the UN Human Rights Commission, Canadian MP Assists a Practitioners Brother to Come...
On the same day, during parliamentary discussions, Member of Parliament Scott Reid put forward a request that the Canadian Government allow Falun Gong practitioner Lin Mingli to come to Canada and join his brother Li Shenli, a Canadian resident. Protection of human rights is the moral and diplomatic responsibility of the international community One of the coordinators of the Canada Falun Dafa Association, Ms. Gongyu Dai, sent a letter to Members of Parliament on the same day, stating: This occasion has given rise to deep pain and sorrow in my heart every year over the past 5 years, not only because of the horrendous human rights violations happening in China, but also because of the silence of most of the worlds governments that comprise this prominent international human rights body. She stated, Over 100 horrific types of torture have been inflicted on Falun Gong practitioners in China in the past nearly 6 years. But with this letter I highlight another alarming fact, that in the past 3 ...
Sexual Orientation as a Human Right: Social Sciences & Humanities Book Chapter | IGI Global
Sexual Orientation as a Human Right: 10.4018/978-1-5225-1933-1.ch002: In this chapter, the authors examine the matter of sexual orientation as a human right. Human rights violations take many forms, from denials of the rights to
Torture, starvation, infant execution in N. Korea prison camps exposed to UN panel - RT World News
Horrifying accounts of human rights abuse in North Korea were described by witnesses to UN Commission of Inquiry. They claim to have survived Gulag-style camps, where public executions, torture and deaths caused by hard work are said to occur regularly.
Pentagon provided funds to Afghan units accused of child sexual abuse: Government watchdog - ABC News
Two service members who reported directly observing or hearing what they believed to be evidence of child sexual assault by Afghan security forces said they did not receive training on how to address sexual abuse of children by Afghan security forces if they encountered it, SIGAR said.. A third service member interviewed by SIGAR said it was well known on his base that sex occurred between boys and Afghan National Police personnel.. While he and his fellow service members talked and laughed about it, he added, they did not take action to report it, SIGAR said.. When given an opportunity to respond to SIGARs report, DoD said U.S. Forces Afghanistans Legal Office provides weekly training to all newly-arriving military personnel, government employees, and contractors, but that the department will reinforce the importance of training on human rights abuse reporting, including suspected child sexual assault.. DoD also told SIGAR that it would establish a single tracking system for gross ...
Development of International Law by the International Court of Justice - Oxford Scholarship
This book traces the impact that the International Court of Justice (ICJ), the principal judicial organ of the United Nations, has had on various areas of international law. A number of prominent international experts examine whether, and to what extent, international law has been shaped by the Courts jurisprudence. The informal development of international law through the Courts judgments contrasts with the development of international law through more deliberate means, such as treaty-making. Assessing key areas of international law over which the ICJ has exercised its jurisdiction, such as international environmental law, international human rights, the law of the sea, and the law of immunities, this book comprehensively details the impact of international jurisprudence on contemporary international law. This book provides key new insights into the role of the Court in wider international law. It makes required reading for anyone studying the ways in which international courts have in shaped the
Peterson Toscano » queer
Climate change is a human rights issue that already directly affects LGBTQ people and our movement worldwide. Not only do we stand in solidarity with everyone who faces conventional human rights abuses and civil disenfranchisement, but we also have many LGBTQ community members whose realities are harsh and whose rights are diminished simply because they are transgender, bisexual, lesbian, gay, and queer. This is true worldwide: in parts of North America and especially across the Global South, throughout the African continent, Eastern Europe, and in the Middle East.. The places where our queer siblings suffer persecution and a dearth of civil rights will also be hardest hit by climate change and will likely suffer even greater losses of rights and security. As a movement, we can help prepare for this eventuality by promoting and securing asylum options and refugee support for LGBTQ people living in hostile Global South societies. As energy prices continue to rise, and rise dramatically, we can ...
Humanitarian Crises | Center on International Cooperation
This high-level dialogue will underscore the power of multilateralism to address the worlds most urgent challenges, among them, climate change, sustainable development, protracted humanitarian crises, large-scale human rights abuse, and threats to international peace and security. They are complex, global, cross-border issues that countries cannot address on their own.. Bringing together the Presidents of the General Assembly, ECOSOC, and the Security Council, the dialogue will underscore the value of discussing development, peace and security, and human rights in support of collective objectives.. ...
Environment News Ghana: Mining activities in Obuasi, Tarkwa pollute 262 rivers, plague residents with keratosis and diabetes
A recent report issued by the Commission of Human Rights and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ) on human rights abuses in mining communities confirmed the assertion of residents of mining communities that most of water borne diseases they suffer are as a result of the bad quality of water supplied to them after their sources of drinking water have been destroyed, he said, quoting CHRAJs 2008 report ...
News Highlights: EU policies contribute to abuse in Libya, Eritrea mining case in Canada, EU-AU meeting in Brussels - EEPA
In this weeks News Highlights: EU policies contribute to abuse against migrants in Libya: HRW; continuing protests in Sudan; Nevsun case about human rights abuses in Eritrea before Canadian top court; Italy to be engaged in planned Ethiopia-Eritrea railway link; Ethiopian ruling coalition happy about peace deal; UNICEF report on humanitarian situation in Eritrea; Kenyan president visits Eritrea, reportedly considering opening an embassy; EU and AU ministers meet in Brussels; IGAD and EEAS meeting; Italy to evict over 500 migrants from centre; Italy to decide about continuation of Operation Sophia; and WHO report on refugees and migrants health in Europe.. North Africa. Libya: EU policies contribute to extreme abuse against migrants, says ...
Education International Barometer of Human & Trade Union Rights in Education
Togo is a country in West Africa bordered by Ghana to the west, Benin to the east and Burkina Faso to the north. It extends south to the Gulf of Guinea, where its capital, Lomé is located.. Soon after French Togoland became Togo in 1960, the country instilled military rule, which lasted for nearly four decades under General Gnassingbe Eyadema. Even though the government seemed to allow multi-party elections in the early 1990s, the Rally of the Togolese People (RPT) party has continually been in power since military rule was instated. Even today, its successor, the Union for the Republic, maintains a large majority of legislative seats. Since General Eyademas death in February 2005, his son, Faure Gnassingbe, was installed as Togos president. He is currently still President of Togo. After a relatively free and fair legislative elections in October of 2007, the international community has finally allowed Togo to return to the international community after years of human rights abuses and ...
Nigeria | Front Line Defenders
HRDs and journalists in Nigeria are at risk of harassment and intimidation for their work. Those who work to document human rights abuses by security forces and government corruption are particularly at risk. The authorities have taken little to no action to prevent these risks and in some instances have used the judicial system to arrest, detain and prosecute HRDs. There are serious concerns about the impartiality and independence of Nigerias criminal justice system as wealthy individuals, police, state security forces, and government agencies have all repeatedly used it to target HRDs and journalists who have exposed corruption.. Since the presidential election in early 2019, HRDs have reported being increasingly targeted by various branches of the government for social media posts and articles or blogs. Due to this difficult climate, many HRDs are starting to self-censure and reduce the scope of their work. In parts of Northern Nigeria, these risks are exaggerated as HRDs face reprisals not ...
Was Iraq war a mistake?
It is Irans nuclear ambitions that represent a crisis to the whole word, not just the Middle East. Obamas policy was even more misguided and wrongheaded than Bushs. And it will haunt us for decades to come.. Both in Iraq and Syria, as well as Afghanistan, we can see that simple regime change doesnt really change a thing. In fact, it more often than not has unintended consequences.. You might think America would have learned this lesson after Vietnam - an even more costly war that was fought without defining victory.. But we didnt - at least the politicians never figured it out.. Its time for the U.S. to stop trying to be the policeman of the world. While policemen can be effective at arresting bad guys, they cant be expected to change peoples hearts and minds. And in the Middle East - in fact worldwide - conflicts and human rights abuses are problems caused by warped hearts and minds.. Military force should only be used to kill bad people and break things with overwhelming power. ...
Congos army accused of abuse as rebels regroup in Rwanda | defenceWeb
Recently defeated M23 rebels in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo have continued to recruit fighters in neighboring Rwanda while the Congolese army has been involved in human rights abuses..
This article explains how the United States is exporting its model of mass incarceration and social and political control to at least 25 countries. This prison imperialism is rooted in the Program for the Improvement of the Colombian Prison System signed in March, 2000 by the US Embassy and Colombias Ministry of Justice. That program coincided with a rapid increase in Colombias prison population including a rise in political arrests and the militarization of the prison system. Other aspects of this experience are worsened overcrowding, human rights abuses and unhealthy conditions. Nevertheless, the US-Colombia collaboration has become the standard for prison imperialism around the world with Colombian training programs forming a major component. US involvement in international prison systems is carried out by several government agencies including the Bureau of Prisons, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the Pentagon, and the US State Departments Bureaus of ...
Is Noakes the North Korea of epistemology? - Synapses
Is Noakes the North Korea of epistemology?. Betteridges Law - any headline that ends with a question mark can be answered with no.. Of course, no is part of the answer here - if we are asking the question of whether Prof Noakes is a propagandist who leads a repressive state, and is implicated in various human rights abuses, the answer is clearly no.. Im also make no claims with regard to their relative levels of sincerity. In the case of Prof. Noakes, Im of the view that he is utterly sincere, and desires nothing but to enhance the health and wellbeing of those he engages with. Hes received far too much abuse related to claims regarding a profit motive, for example, and I think that sort of abuse unjustified, and deplorable.. But thats not what my title is alluding to. Instead, Im highlighting the fact that the North Korean press machine has a habit of making hyperbolic claims, and Kim Jong Un for appearing in various baroque, grandiose, and sometimes merely perplexing situations, all ...
Flag Counter » Togo
French Togoland became Togo in 1960. Gen. Gnassingbe EYADEMA, installed as military ruler in 1967, ruled Togo with a heavy hand for almost four decades. Despite the facade of multi-party elections instituted in the early 1990s, the government was largely dominated by President EYADEMA, whose Rally of the Togolese People (RPT) party has been in power almost continually since 1967 and its successor, the Union for the Republic, maintains a majority of seats in todays legislature. Upon EYADEMAs death in February 2005, the military installed the presidents son, Faure GNASSINGBE, and then engineered his formal election two months later. Democratic gains since then allowed Togo to hold its first relatively free and fair legislative elections in October 2007. After years of political unrest and condemnation from international organizations for human rights abuses, Togo is finally being re-welcomed into the international community ...
How the U.S. fishing industry can do its part to disarm Kim Jong-un
Of course, there is no direct evidence that the worlds most financially opaque regime is using its slave labor revenues to fund its nuclear program. As with the Kaesong Industrial Complex, however, the importers duty under UNSCR 1718, paragraph 8(d), is to know where its money goes, and to ensure that Pyongyang is not using it for nukes. Ignorance is no defense, and cash is fungible. A dollar in Pyongyangs bank accounts can just as well be used for centrifuge parts, barbed wire, cognac, or cell phone trackers.. Second, the U.N. Security Council has recently banned North Korean exports of seafood, and the KIMS Act authorizes sanctions against transactions in North Korean food exports or fishing rights. Transactions in North Korean forced labor are subject to mandatory sanctions under the NKSPEA, as severe human rights abuses. By exposing this latest example of China violating U.N. sanctions, the legal and diplomatic pressure on Beijing to enforce the sanctions it voted for ...
Senior Dating Online Services Totally Free | Spanish Learning
Befallen is a small dungeon filled to the brim with undead creatures of all sorts. Wahid saw wiranto both as an obstacle to his planned reform of the military as well as being a liability to his government with his human rights abuses in east timor. Designs are undertaken by a crittall trained draughts person. The most affluent parts of the city are usually located to the west, along with shopping centers and suburban neighborhoods. On top of that its in a great location, walkable to harajuku and easy access to shibuya and shinjuku areas. I have googled a lot of times but you know this is not an easy task to find out the solution. The state experienced record-breaking drought which worsened the looking for old people in denver fire threat in the highlands. Complications during the introduction of laparoscopic cholecystectomy in norway. Geography: cardiff is the largest city in wales, and serves as its capital city. Here are all the muslim mature online dating site vegan wine brands and ...
The Kimberley Process Certification Scheme (KPCS) / Proceso de Kimberley | Zophies Blog
The Kimberley Process Certification Scheme (KPCS) is a certification system designed to prevent conflict diamonds from entering the diamond market. Was prepared to try to assure customers that they were not financing war and human rights abuses with the purchase of diamonds. Between 99% and 97% of the diamond market takes place between countries…
War crimes during the final stages of the Sri Lankan Civil War
... continued human rights abuses after the war; and human rights abuses on media persons and others outside of the war zone. The ... "Report of the Human Rights Council". United Nations. "Human Rights Council adopts seven texts on Sri Lanka, Adequate Housing, ... In January 2011 the European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights, a German human rights group, sent a dossier detailing ... violated the human rights of civilians and Tamil Tiger combatants; and it violated the human rights of those outside the ...
List of countries by Fragile States Index
Suspension or arbitrary application of law; widespread human rights abuses. Security forces operating as a "state within a ... human rights violations and refugee flows. The following factors are used by Fund For Peace to ascertain the status of a ... Chronic and sustained human flight. Widespread corruption. High economic inequality. Uneven economic development along group ...
Martial law under Ferdinand Marcos
Marcos' 14 years as dictator is historically remembered for its record of human rights abuses, particularly targeting political ... pressuring Marcos to admit human rights violations during his regime. Marcos initially denied knowledge of human rights ... Human rights abuses continued. Increasing unrest springing from the economic collapse of the Philippines in the years after the ... This 14-year period in Philippine history is remembered for the administration's record of human rights abuses, particularly ...
Suspension or arbitrary application of law; widespread human rights abuses. Security forces operating as a "state within a ... but are also recognised human rights whose provision is demonstrated to be necessary for a transition away from conflict. ... With the right conditions, some countries - such as Mozambique and Burundi - have so far demonstrated a remarkable turn-around ... Apart from the success in Cambodia the importance of instituting a solid labour rights regime in fragile states needs to be ...
Halting ongoing human rights abuses; Investigating past crimes; Identifying those responsible for human rights violations; ... Thus, transitional justice has its roots in both the human rights movement and in international human rights and humanitarian ... human rights trials or truth commissions need not have a negative effect on human rights practices. This makes transitional ... Some human rights abuses can result in criminal prosecutions, particularly the most serious ones. Investigations to seek the ...
"Human Rights Abuses Against Prisoners". Human Rights Watch. 2001. Archived from the original on 26 January 2002. Retrieved 2 ... The prison's north wing accommodates left-wing rebels while the south wing has right-wing government supporters and ...
... health and human rights." However, China largely failed to improve its human rights abuses and major news sources around the ... "China: Olympics Harm Key Human Rights". Human Rights Watch. 2008-08-06. Retrieved 2019-06-13. "China falls short on Olympic ... "Beijing Olympics; Human rights abuses getting worse". Retrieved 2015-06-04. "China". Amnesty International USA. Retrieved 2019- ... However China failed to ameliorate their human rights abuses and instead continued to oppress citizens and media outlets. On ...
ISBN 978-0-8108-5341-6. "Morocco's Acknowledgement of Past Abuses". Human Rights Watch. 28 November 2005. Retrieved 22 December ... He was a human rights lawyer. Born in Tangier, Youssoufi was a socialist from a young age, dedicating himself to organizing the ... In 1949 Youssoufi began also to fight for the rights of emigrant Moroccan workers in France. He also studied law, practicing in ...
Sri Lanka and state terrorism
"Sri Lanka: Government Abuses Intensify". Human Rights Watch. Archived from the original on 9 November 2008. Retrieved 18 ... human rights agencies such as the Asian Center of Human Rights (ACHR), the University Teachers for Human Rights (UTHR), and pro ... Asian Human Rights Commission". Asian Human Rights Commission. Retrieved 9 April 2018. "2.0 State Terror in Trincomalee". UTHR ... A spokesman for Human Rights Watch was of the opinion that: "The Sri Lankan government has apparently given its security forces ...
Blasphemy law in Yemen
Human rights abuses are common. The Press and Publications Law No. 25 for 1990 prohibits publication of material that may: ... Retrieved 2009-07-07.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) "Human rights situation in Yemen" (PDF). NT\613967EN.doc. ... United Nations Human Rights Council. 4 March 2009. Retrieved 1 July 2009. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) Al-Zaidi, ... "Report submitted by the Special Rapporteur Margaret Sekaggya on the situation of human rights defenders" (PDF). A/HRC/10/12/Add ...
"India: Mounting Human Rights Abuses". Human Rights Watch. 14 January 2020. Retrieved 27 July 2020. "World Report 2019: Rights ... Some newly sprouted democracies have large differences in policies on matters that ranged from immigration and human rights to ... Alison, Miranda (2007). "Wartime Sexual Violence: Women's Human Rights and Questions of Masculinity". Review of International ... Human Rights Watch. 18 December 2018. Retrieved 27 July 2020. "The Regional Reach of Buddhist Nationalism". U.S. News. 7 ...
Timeline of Kosovo history
"Yugoslavia Human Rights Abuses in Kosovo". Archived from the original on 11 October 2012. Rogel, Carole (2003). "Kosovo: Where ... "Human Rights in Kosovo: As Seen, As Told. Volume I, October 1998 - June 1999". Archived from the original on 4 December 2016. " ... "Under Orders (Human Rights Watch)". Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. "Reconsidering Rambouillet". "Frontline. PBS". ... EU-mediated talks resume between Kosovo and Serbia days after parliament in Belgrade approves support for minority Serb rights ...
Mark Curtis (British author)
In 2004, Unpeople: Britain's Secret Human Rights Abuses was first published. The book analyses the Blair government's foreign ... ISBN 1-84668-763-2. Unpeople: Britain's Secret Human Rights Abuses, Vintage, 2004 ISBN 0-09-946972-3 Web of Deceit: Britain's ... CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) Curtis, Mark (4 February 2007). "Unpeople: Britain's Secret Human Rights Abuses". ... Britain's Secret Human Rights Abuses and Web of Deceit: Britain's Real Role in the World. Curtis studied at Goldsmiths, ...
2017 Venezuelan referendum
"Venezuela: Senior Officials' Responsibility for Abuses". Human Rights Watch. 15 June 2017. Retrieved 17 July 2017. "Venezuela's ... the Chief of Government of the Capital District who is under investigation for human rights violations, stated that the ... top prosecutor charges ex-national guard chief with human rights violations". The Guardian. 29 June 2017. Retrieved 17 July ...
2017 Venezuelan protests
"Venezuela: Senior Officials' Responsibility for Abuses". Human Rights Watch. 15 June 2017. Retrieved 17 June 2017. "Venezuela: ... Human Rights Watch In a 15 June statement, Human Rights Watch stated that high levels officials of the government, such as ... are responsible for the human rights violations and abuses performed by Venezuelan security forces during the protests. ... the rights office said. Sexual violence towards arrested protesters has also been reported. A report by Human Rights Watch and ...
ISBN 978-0-89608-334-9. Curtis, Mark (2004). Unpeople: Britain's Secret Human Rights Abuses. Vintage. ISBN 978-0-09-946972-8. ... international human rights law, and international humanitarian law, rather than international anti-terrorism statutes. In a ... The Political Economy of Human Rights: Vol. 1. South End Press. ISBN 978-0-89608-090-4. Chomsky, Noam (1988). The Culture of ... If it were different, states would not have the right, nor would they be in a position, to maintain that minimum of order on ...
Roger Allen (diplomat)
Britain's Secret Human Rights Abuses. Random House. p. 84. ISBN 9781409020028. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) The ...
Tanjung Priok massacre
Khalik, Abdul (12 September 2008). "Govt slammed for human rights abuses". The Jakarta Post. Archived from the original on 4 ... Ad Hoc Human Rights Trial for the 1984 Tanjung Priok Crimes] (in Indonesian). Jakarta: KontraS / Watch Indonesia!. Setiono, ... With the influx of human rights movements after the fall of Suharto in 1998, several groups were created to advocate for the ... Under international pressure, in 2003 the DPR approved the use of the 2000 human rights law to bring perpetrators of the ...
Israeli permit system in the West Bank
"Israel: 50 Years of Occupation Abuses". Human Rights Watch. 4 June 2017. Kershner, Isabel (17 July 2018). "In West Bank, 99.7% ... HaMoked, an Israeli human rights organization, filed a petition with the Supreme Court of Israel calling for the revoking of ... Human rights in Israel Palestinian territories "The most common permits are those allowing Palestinians to work in Israel, or ... Cahana, Aelad; Kanonich, Yonatan (March 2013). The Permit Regime Human Rights Violations in West Bank Areas Known as the "Seam ...
"Regime's human rights abuses go unpunished". Bangkok Post. 28 March 2010. Retrieved 19 April 2011. Walker, Oksana Grytsenko ... The human rights group Karen Women Organization documented a case of Tatmadaw forces crucifying several Karen villagers in 2000 ... Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights. 22 September 2015. Retrieved 3 November 2017. "When Beheading ... For one spit is transfixed right through from the lower parts up to the head, and one across the back, to which are attached ...
"Israel: 50 Years of Occupation Abuses". Human Rights Watch. 4 June 2017a. "Israel: Jerusalem Palestinians Stripped of Status". ... Ziai, Fatemeh (2013). "Human rights violations as an obstacle to economic development: restrictions on movement in the West ... ISBN 0-8179-3291-7. Bowen, Stephen (1997). Human rights, self-determination and political change in the occupied Palestinian ... Cohen, Esther Rosalind (1985). Human rights in the Israeli-occupied territories, 1967-1982. Manchester University Press. ISBN ...
Scientology in Germany
Scientology was viewed as "a totalitarian, business-driven organization [...] guilty of significant human rights abuses." ... Human Rights and Labor (25 February 2009), 2008 Human Rights Report: Germany, archived from the original on 26 February 2009, ... "essential basic and human rights like the dignity of man or the right to equal treatment", and asked Germany's domestic ... The U.S. Department of State began to include the issue of Scientology in Germany in its annual human rights reports after the ...
"Human rights abuses under EPRDF" (PDF). Lib.ohchr.org. Archived (PDF) from the original on 19 September 2017. Retrieved 26 ... compiled by the Advocates for Human Rights, documented human rights violations against the Oromo in Ethiopia under three ... 2004). Human: The Definitive Visual Guide. New York: Dorling Kindersley. p. 413. ISBN 0-7566-0520-2. "HUMAN RIGHTS IN ETHIOPIA ... Various human rights organizations have publicized the government persecution of Oromos in Ethiopia for decades. In 2008, OFDM ...
"US: 20 Years of Immigrant Abuses". Human Rights Watch. 2016-04-25. Retrieved 2017-10-19. "FY 2016 ICE Immigration Removals". ... Encyclopedia of Human Rights. 2d ed. Florence, Ky.: Taylor & Francis, 1996. Fragomen, Austin T. and Bell, Steven C. Immigration ... changes to the threshold for deportation of convicted felons that have been criticized by some as having human rights abuses. ... According to the European Court of Human Rights, collective expulsion is any measure compelling non-nationals, as a group, to ...
... the most brazen human rights abuses, ... because he is worried about upsetting the Chinese." In June 2019, Guterres stated that ... Human Rights Watch chief Kenneth Roth said that Guterres "has been notably silent on one of the most important, ... ... In 2019, human rights groups criticized Guterres for being "silent" as China sent ethnic Uyghurs and other predominantly Muslim ... "Human rights groups call for investigation into China's Uighur 're-education camps'". SBS News. 5 February 2019. Archived from ...
Creation between Two Surfaces
Hansard, Posted in; Statements (2016-05-12). "Human Rights Abuses in Iran-Inquiry". The Progressives. Retrieved 2020-02-12. " ... "canadian-liberal-senator-defends-rights-of-artists-in-dange". "Faces of Iran". U.S. Virtual Embassy Iran. Retrieved 2020-02-12 ...
Bureau of Intelligence and Research
... human rights abuses and war crimes; democracy promotion and elections; the activities of the United Nations and other ... and human rights and assess domestic policies and leadership performance in countries of interest. The assistant secretary for ... and trafficking in humans and illicit drugs; Playing a key role in the IC to optimize intelligence collection and requirements ... Human capital; Training and rotational assignments; Budget and financial management; Strategic planning and performance ...
Going Clear (film)
... the human rights abuses" of Scientology. He suggested that a sequel to Going Clear might be in the works: "There's a lot more ... Vimeo has acquired the US rights for online distribution from September 2015. The film sold worldwide but was scheduled only ... Gibney, Alex (April 11, 2015). "'Going Clear' filmmaker: Scientology abuses its tax-exempt status". Los Angeles Times. Archived ... I'm an imperfect human being. And I've made many, many mistakes in my life. So you can absolutely publicize any of those. But ...
Macina Liberation Front
"Mali: Lawlessness, Abuses Imperil Population". Human Rights Watch. Retrieved 17 November 2015. "Mali's Islamist conflict ...
... and human rights abuses by security forces. Human Rights Watch noted that "widespread surveillance and a crackdown on speech, ... Hossain has criticized human rights abuses under the second and third Hasina administrations. In 2011, he defended Nobel ... political parties and human rights organizations that are committed to the realization of human rights and the ... He was Chairman of the Advisory Commission on Human Rights for the Commonwealth Secretariat. He was also a member of a human ...
"Human Molecular Genetics. 6 (10): 1647-56. doi:10.1093/hmg/6.10.1647. PMID 9300656.. ... Unlike closure of the sagittal or the metopic suture, right and left are not the same in unilateral coronal synostosis. ... "Maternal exposure to prescription and non-prescription pharmaceuticals or drugs of abuse and risk of craniosynostosis" ... The sagittal suture 'divides' the coronal suture in two halves; unilateral meaning that either the right side or the left side ...
Re-education through labor
"Chinese Human Rights Defenders, Re-Education through Labor Abuses Continue Unabated:Overhaul Long Overdue". Chinese Human ... United Nations Human Rights Council. p. 16.. *^ a b c d Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor (2004); Section 1d: " ... "China's Growing Prominence in the Multilateral Human Rights System: an HRIC brief" (PDF). China Rights Forum. Human Rights in ... "2003 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices. United States Department of State Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor ...
Prince Andrew, Duke of York
... who has been criticised for corruption and for abuses of human rights by Amnesty International, but he has continued to visit ... Sex abuse allegations. In January 2015, Virginia Roberts made allegations of sexual impropriety against the Duke in court ... "Prince Andrew 'sex abuse victim' Virginia Roberts 'was introduced to the Queen'". The Daily Telegraph. London. 5 January 2015. ... "Prince Andrew sex abuse allegation thrown out by judge". UK Daily Telegraph - 7 April 2015. Retrieved 17 April 2015. A US judge ...
U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.. *^ a b c Kaplan YC, Ozsarfati J, Etwel F, Nickel C, Nulman I, Koren G (November ... Powell A (April 2017). "Choosing the Right Oral Contraceptive Pill for Teens". Pediatric Clinics of North America (Review). 64 ... Melnik B, Jansen T, Grabbe S (February 2007). "Abuse of anabolic-androgenic steroids and bodybuilding acne: an underestimated ... U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Public Health and Science, Office on Women's Health. July 2009. ...
Unisex public toilet
They argue that this is an issue with respect to the human right to water and sanitation and also from the perspective of the ... especially those who have been victims of sexual abuse in the past, have asserted the right to continue using all-female ... The Human Rights Campaign, an LGBTQ advocacy group, recommends that employers grant access, and use, to public toilets ... Human Rights Campaign. "Restroom Access for Transgender Employees." Retrieved from "Restroom Access for Transgender Employees" ...
Atascadero State Hospital
In the mid-1980s, a US Department of Justice investigation under the Civil Rights of Institutionalized Persons Act (CRIPA) led ... The Enhancement Plan was proposed and implemented by the "Human Potential Consulting Group" out of Alexandria, Virginia. This ... Sexual Abuse: A Journal of Research and Treatment. 17: 79-107. doi:10.1007/s11194-005-1212-x. "A comparison of the measurement ... under the threat of a lawsuit by the United States Justice Department alleging violations of the Civil Rights of ...
Códigos de classificação JEL - Wikipédia, a enciclopédia livre
JEL: P14 - Property Rights. JEL: P16 - Political Economy. JEL: P17 - Performance and Prospects. JEL: P19 - Outros. JEL: P2 - ... JEL: J41 - Contracts: Specific Human Capital, Matching models, Efficiency wage Models, and Internal labor markets. JEL: J42 - ... JEL: I12 - Health Production: Nutrition, Mortality, Morbidity, Substance abuse and Addiction, Disability, and Economic Behavior ... JEL: P48 - Political Economy; Legal Institutions; Property Rights. JEL: P49 - Outros. JEL: P5 - Comparative Economic Systems ...
"National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. National Institute of Health. August 2018. Retrieved 8 October 2018.. ... Pure ethanol tastes bitter to humans; some people also describe it as sweet. However, ethanol is also a moderately good ... Wine (left) and beer (right) are served in different glasses.. BeerEdit. Main article: Beer ... Long-term use can lead to alcohol abuse, cancer, physical dependence, and alcoholism. Consuming alcohol within weekly low-risk ...
"Gender and tenure diversity in GitHub teams." In Proceedings of the 33rd Annual ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing ... of 1st Instance: Microsoft Abused its Dominant Position - Updated - September 2007". Retrieved 13 October 2014.. ... Digital rights. *Diversity in open-source software. *Framasoft. *Free and open-source software ... being convicted of abusing its dominant position. Specifically they had withheld inter-operability information with the open ...
... "a basic human right".. As mayor of Cleveland in the 1970s, Kucinich favored the city's existing Municipal Light System and ... the war in Iraq to the American people and the charges detailed in this impeachment resolution indicate an unprecedented abuse ... LGBT rights. Kucinich supports same-sex marriage. Kucinich voted for the expansion of hate crime laws in the United States ... Kucinich believes that health care is a "right in a democratic society". He is a critic of the for-profit health insurance ...
... which is protected by the European Convention on Human Rights. The libel case ended with the BCA withdrawing its suit in ... Chiropractic Abuse: An Insider's Lament. American Council on Science & Health. ISBN 978-0-9727094-9-1.. ... North Dakota Department of Human Services. State of North Dakota.. *^ NHS Leeds West CCG Assurance Committee (2014-01-02). " ... A 2008 commentary proposed that the chiropractic profession actively regulate itself to combat abuse, fraud, and quackery, ...
Its abuse led to a decree of the inquisition in 1701, forbidding its employment for purposes of justice. ... In one approach the user first determines which direction (left-right, up-down) will indicate "yes" and which "no" before ... grave dowsing in Iowa reviewed 14 published studies and determined that none of them correctly predicted the location of human ...
Commercial sexual exploitation of children
... child abuse, or even child sexual abuse. Child rape, for example, will not usually constitute CSEC. Neither will domestic ... "Human Trafficking and Prostitution , Essay Examples". Essay Examples. 2018-03-15. Retrieved 2018-04-03.. ... The Congress came up with an Agenda for Action which was framed by the Convention on the Rights of the Child. ... sexual abuse by the adult and remuneration in cash or kind to the child or a third person or persons. The child is treated as a ...
Forsythe, David P. (August 11, 2009). Encyclopedia of human rights (Google Books). Oxford University Press. p. 98. ISBN 978-0- ... abuse by guards, massacres, Kurdish raids along the way, and starvation or, if they refused, be indiscriminately massacred. ... On the right-wing, the Russian I Corps crossed the border and moved from Sarikamish toward the direction of Köprüköy. They ... His plan was to remain in defense and launch a counterattack at the right time. This was overridden by the War Minister Enver ...
Since the 1970s, the European Court of Human Rights has condemned Turkey for the thousands of human rights abuses. ... "Human Rights Watch. Retrieved 2 December 2011.. *^ Essential Background: Overview of human rights issues in Syria. Human Rights ... Syria: End persecution of human rights defenders and human rights activists Archived 13 October 2007 at the Wayback Machine. ... Human rights in Turkey, Kurdistan Workers Party, and Human rights of Kurdish people in Turkey ...
Harthoorn was a tireless campaigner for animal rights, and with his research team developed the capture gun, used to sedate ... He was used only for the snarling scenes and general scenes which did not involve proximity with humans. This Leo had come from ... His ferocity was due largely to abuse he received from former owners, who beat him badly with a stick. ...
... Shark Attacks On Humans Caught. 26 April 2014. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015 - via YouTube.. ... "Jack Russell does not have the right to start his own Great White or use the name without our names in the lineup. We will ... the performance helping to raise money for housing abused homeless children. Both bands shared the same manager, Alan ... the parties finally reached an agreement in Federal Court that legally Jack Russell will turn all his rights to the "Great ...
In humans moclobemide is rapidly and almost completely absorbed and totally metabolised via the liver. Peak plasma levels ... Initially, Aurorix was also marketed by Roche in South Africa, but was withdrawn after its patent rights expired and Cipla ... There is a high risk of treatment failure if there is co-morbid alcohol abuse, however. The Australian Medicines Handbook ... Platelet MAO is of the MAO-B and this is inhibited only to a small degree in humans; the inhibition is due to low levels of ...
Discrimination against asexual people
The Association of Russian Lawyers for Human Rights stated that it effectively banned "all transgender people, bigender, ... Prisoner abuse. *Racial bias in criminal news. *Racism by country. *Religious intolerance ... In addition, the study found a positive correlation between right-wing authoritarian identification and negative attitudes ... "5 Things You Can Do Right Now to Support the Asexual Youth in Your Life". Everyday Feminism. Retrieved 7 December 2018 ...
"Introduction to Human Evolution". The Smithsonian Institution's Human Origins Program. January 27, 2010. Retrieved March 14, ... some speech functionality is also distributed in the right hemisphere. MIT is thought to stimulate these right language ... and substance abuse. Goals in treating adolescents with music therapy, especially for those at high risk, often include ... J., Levitin, Daniel (2007). This is your brain on music : the science of a human obsession. ISBN 978-0452288522. . OCLC ...
Pope John XXIII
Human rightsEdit. John XXIII was an advocate for human rights which included the unborn and the elderly. He wrote about human ... His journal was specifically concerned with the funeral and the abused state of the late pontiff's corpse. Roncalli left Venice ... rights in his Pacem in terris. He wrote, "Man has the right to live. He has the right to bodily integrity and to the means ... Martin, Malachi (1972), Three Popes and the Cardinal: The Church of Pius, John and Paul in its Encounter with Human History', ...
While a Marxist, Sartre attacked what he saw as abuses of freedom and human rights by the Soviet Union. In 1954, Sartre visited ... Existentialism and Human Emotions / Existentialisme et émotions humaines (1957). *Search for a Method / Question de méthode ( ... Sartre said that human beings have no essence before their existence because there is no Creator. Thus: "existence precedes ... Sartre's primary idea is that people, as humans, are "condemned to be free". This theory relies upon his position that ...
Nitschke said he had sought a legal opinion from prominent human rights lawyer Greg Barns. The lawyer was able to convince ... "any machine that can help you kill yourself can be abused, misused and maliciously used". Nitschke responded that without ... Individual rights argument. Nitschke argues that an individual person has a fundamental right to control their own death ... "National Right to Life. Retrieved 24 July 2014.. *^ "Kennett says Nitschke has damaged the cause". Sky News. 24 July 2014. ...
In the first three months, Human Rights Watch reported that 2,275 people were killed, almost double the number normally killed ... Amnesty International report: Thailand: Grave developments - Killings and other abuses *^ "Drug-Related Killings: Verify the ... Human rights critics claimed a large number were extrajudicially executed. The War on Drugs was widely criticized by ... Draft paper presented to Human Rights in Asia Workshop, University of Melbourne, 1-2 October 2009. ...
2017 London Bridge attack
Human rights. *Genocide of Christians. *Genocide of Shias. *Genocide of Yazidis. *Persecution of gay and bisexual men by ISIL ... "London attack: Rachid Redouane's wife says she is 'numbed' by his actions amid reports of domestic abuse". The Independent ... May's stance on the role of the internet and social media in enabling radicalisation was criticised by the Open Rights Group ... receiving multiple stab wounds and temporarily losing sight in his right eye as a consequence. ...
2008 California Proposition 2
The graph on the right shows 12 counties as having a majority that voted NO on Prop 2 (out of California's 58 counties). The ... "Animal Care Certified" -- A Case of Animal Abuse and Consumer Fraud". Compassion Over Killing. Archived from the original on ... They say that the agribusiness industry maximizes their own profits by compromising on animal welfare and human health. ... "Newark, New Jersey: Animal Rights: The Abolitionist Approach. Archived from the original on 2012-11-30. Retrieved 2012-11-29. ...
The consequences of this stress can include substance abuse, suicide, major depressive disorder, and anxiety, all of which ... "Human resources for maternal, newborn and child health: from measurement and planning to performance for improved health ... Dental assistant on the right supporting a dental operator on the left, during a procedure. ... Many jurisdictions report shortfalls in the number of trained health human resources to meet population health needs and/or ...
... of doctors who stood up to the apartheid regime and brought to book those doctors who had colluded with human rights abuse." ... a b c d e f Bateman, Chris (January 2003). Frances Ames - Human Rights Champion. South African Medical Journal, 93 (1): 14-15. ... a b c d Grundy, Trevor (27 November 2002). Frances Ames; Human rights activist who battled for justice after the death of Steve ... eɪmz/; 20 April 1920 - 11 November 2002) was a South African neurologist, psychiatrist, and human rights activist, best known ...
Cockatiel - Which Right For You?". Retrieved 1 August 2016.. *^ Ward, Sam (1992-12-21). "USA Snapshots: Most Popular Pets". USA ... Many parrots can imitate human speech or other sounds. A study by scientist Irene Pepperberg suggested a high learning ability ... before reaching their permanent destinations or before dying prematurely from unintentional or intentional neglect and abuse. ... Parrots have featured in human writings, story, art, humor, religion, and music for thousands of years, such as Aesop's fable " ...
Death of Caylee Anthony
Investigators stated that the trunk smelled strongly of human decomposition, but human decomposition was not specified on ... but that arguing sexual abuse was not allowed since there was nothing to support the claim that George Anthony sexually abused ... This prompted Baez to refer to him as "this laughing guy right here". The judge called a sidebar conference, then a recess. ... The defense did not present evidence as to how Caylee died, nor evidence that Casey was sexually abused as a child, but ...
Brazil lawmakers investigate human rights abuses
Brazilian legislators have started investigating human rights abuses committed during the South American countrys past ... Author: I&FL Community Staff (Rule of Law & Human Brazil lawmakers investigate human rights abuses. BRASILIA Brazil (AP) - ... Brazilian legislators have started investigating human rights abuses committed during the South American countrys past ... Rule of Law & Human Rights News. *Brazil lawmakers investigate human rights abuses ...
Colombia: Abuses Amid Massive Demonstrations | Human Rights Watch
... abused the mostly peaceful demonstrators protesting throughout the country in late 2019. ... Protecting Rights, Saving Lives. Human Rights Watch defends the rights of people in 90 countries worldwide, spotlighting abuses ... Between November 2019 and February 2020, Human Rights Watch interviewed 26 victims of abuse, their relatives, human rights ... The Inter-American Commission on Human Rights has held that it is not appropriate to try violations of human rights before ...
China and Human Rights Abuses | C-SPAN.org
... stories before the commission on Chinas human rights abuses. Geng Ho detailed some of the horrific abuses endured by her ... State Department Briefing on Human Rights. Michael Posner briefed reporters after the annual U.S.-China human rights dialogue. ... China and Human Rights Abuses. 682 Views Program ID:. 304416-1. Category:. Public Affairs Event. Format:. Public Hearing. ... stories before the commission on Chinas human rights abuses. Geng Ho detailed some of the horrific abuses endured by her ...
Burma: End Abuses Against Rohingya | Human Rights Watch
Human Rights Watch said in a report released today. Human Rights Watch said that the Association of Southeast Asian Nations ( ... Burmas neighbors should press the Burmese military government to end systematic abuses of Rohingya Muslims and protect those ... Protecting Rights, Saving Lives. Human Rights Watch defends the rights of people in 90 countries worldwide, spotlighting abuses ... Human Rights Watch said in a report released today. Human Rights Watch said that the Association of Southeast Asian Nations ( ...
Human rights abuses in Sindh - Wikipedia
Human rights in Pakistan Sindhudesh Insurgency in Sindh Baehr, Peter R. (2 July 1994). Human Rights in Developing Countries - ... Sindh: Human Rights Abuses Continue Against Fishing Communities - UNPO The Foreign Policy of Pakistan: Ethnic Impacts on ... Human rights abuses in Sindh, Pakistan, range from arbitrary arrests and enforced disappearances to torture, extrajudicial ... Many human rights abuses were committed under the tenure of Chief Minister Jam Sadiq Ali, who took office from August 6, 1990 ...
Human rights abuses in Manipur - Wikipedia
Human rights abuses in Assam Human rights abuses in Jammu and Kashmir chandru. "MANIPUR- in a strange whirlpool of Cross- ... Human Rights Watch, argues that human rights violations by Indian Security Forces have only fuelled the insurgency. It adds ... Human rights abuses in Manipur, a state in northeastern India, have been an ongoing issue. As per the Manipur natives, the ... According to human rights organisation Redress, the Indian armed forces have abused power through privileges conferred in the ...
Report on Serious Human Rights Abuses or Censorship in North Korea
A Universal Periodic Review of the Human Rights situation in North Korea released by the Committee for Human Rights in North ... Report on Serious Human Rights Abuses or Censorship in North Korea. Prepared by: U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Democracy ... Report on Serious Human Rights Abuses or Censorship in North Korea. Share ... Most notably, he is involved in directing abuses committed in the political prison camp system, where serious human rights ...
HUMAN RIGHTS ABUSES
Oklahoma Law Review Symposium Shines Light on Human Rights Abuses
Multistakeholder Initiatives: Arvind Ganesan, director of business and human rights at Human Rights Watch; Reg Manhas, senior ... Oklahoma Law Review Symposium Shines Light on Human Rights Abuses. By Mackenzie A. Dilbeck, OU Law, ,a href=mailto:[email protected] ... This years theme was "Accountability for Human Rights Abuses Abroad by Private Security Contractors." ... The University of Oklahoma College of Law brought in expert human rights speakers for this years annual Oklahoma Law Review ...
End Environmental and Human Rights Abuses in Nigeria - Mother Jones
An environmental and human rights organization that supports communities. impacted by. mining, oil and gas activities. ... For more information, contact Stephen Mills, Human Rights and Environment Campaign Director, Sierra Club, at: 408 C St., NE. ... Information on AIs current international campaign for human rights. reform. in Nigeria. ... The Right Is Very Excited an Unelected Monarch Announced a New Voter Suppression Policy. Inae Oh ...
President Obama's Cuba Visit Ignores Continued Human Rights Abuses | National Review
It makes its human-rights abuses, theft, and lies an afterthought, or even excusable, for the American Left. ... Castro railed against alleged human-rights abuses in the United States - Obama obligingly said he welcomed the dialogue - and ... Senator Tom Cottons report on the service branch gets a lot right about the upper ranks, but the enlisted side remains in dire ... related#If Cuba were a repressive, small-minded military dictatorship of the right, Obamas visit and accommodationist attitude ...
Human rights abuses taking place in Mali, claim HRW - France 24
Nepal: Victims of alleged human rights abuses under pressure | Amnesty International
Nepal: Victims of alleged human rights abuses under pressure 24 December 2002. , Index number: ASA 31/079/2002 ... If you are talented and passionate about human rights then Amnesty International wants to hear from you. ... Equatorial Guinea missed the opportunity to accept key human rights recommendations at the UN review ...
Petition · please speak out against human rights abuses in Nigeria · Change.org
Davis Mac-Iyalla needs your help with "To the Archbishops of Canterbury and York: please speak out against human rights abuses ... Davis Mac-Iyalla needs your help with "To the Archbishops of Canterbury and York: please speak out against human rights abuses ... To the Archbishops of Canterbury and York: please speak out against human rights abuses in Nigeria ... This could criminalise human rights defenders and even two people just meeting for a coffee if they are known to be gay or ...
Belarus: Lukashenka Denies Abuse Of Human Rights, Press Freedom
President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has indignantly denied that human rights and press freedoms are restricted, and said media ... President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has indignantly denied that human rights and press freedoms are restricted, and said media ... Delaloye said that it was also the case that the opposition was allowed only very limited rights in Belarus. In another move ...
Petition · CNN: Human rights abuse in Nigeria · Change.org
Banke Christelle needs your help with "CNN: Human rights abuse in Nigeria". Join Banke and 25 supporters today. ... Banke Christelle needs your help with "CNN: Human rights abuse in Nigeria". Join Banke and 25 supporters today. ... Is it right to take their resources but yet watch human beings die in a worse way than animals. Do you all now see why some ... so that an investigation can be launched by international organizations and human rights groups all over the world to do a root ...
Responding to Complex Humanitarian Crises and Massive Abuses of Human Rights | Encyclopedia.com
1998 Source for information on Responding to Complex Humanitarian Crises and Massive Abuses of Human Rights: Human and Civil ... Responding to Complex Humanitarian Crises and Massive Abuses of Human RightsReflections On the Legal, Political, and ... Responding to Complex Humanitarian Crises and Massive Abuses of Human Rights Human and Civil Rights: Essential Primary Sources ... "Responding to Complex Humanitarian Crises and Massive Abuses of Human Rights." Human and Civil Rights: Essential Primary ...
Mohamed Salah given honorary citizenship of Chechnya by strongman ruler accused of human rights abuses
... the strongman ruler who has been accused of human rights violations including the widespread torture of gay men. ... Mohamed Salah given honorary citizenship of Chechnya by strongman ruler accused of human rights abuses ... Human rights defenders have condemned the approval of Chechnya as a World Cup training base due to its crackdowns on LGBT ... Tanya Lokshina of Human Rights Watch said Kadyrov was "using the World Cup to gloss over the staggering repressions in Chechnya ...
Iran human rights abuses of women, children worsen amid Obama nuclear talks - Washington Times
... discriminatory laws despite numerous calls for reform from human rights groups and the international community. ... given its own human rights abuses.. "Many instances of human rights violations in the U.S. including police brutality, ... say government and nonprofit human rights researchers.. But according to the latest Human Rights Report released by the ... Human rights analysts say the abuses against women and children in Iran have increased in recent years. ...
Taiwan's Fisheries Plagued by Human Rights Abuses and Shark Finning: Greenpeace Investigation - Greenpeace USA
... labor and human rights abuses, as well as Taiwans failure to adequately address issues such as murder and drug smuggling at ... These human rights abuses seem to go hand-in-hand with environmental abuses. Fins are not allowed to be separated from shark ... Taiwans Fisheries Plagued by Human Rights Abuses and Shark Finning: Greenpeace Investigation. by Perry Wheeler ... labor and human rights abuses, as well as Taiwans failure to adequately address issues such as murder and drug smuggling at ...
Organ Transplants and Human Rights Abuses in China
... Professor Sir Geoffrey Nice QC, Professor Martin Elliott ... 2014/15 From Human Rights to Srebrenica. 2013/14 Law Lectures by Professor Sir Geoffrey Nice QC. 2012/13 International Criminal ... Brexit: Recovery of Sovereignty or Loss of Rights? Professor Sir Geoffrey Nice QC. Tuesday, 9 October 2018 - 6:00PM ...
US Indicts Nigeria on Human Rights Abuses - THISDAYLIVE
The United States has indicted Nigeria on serious human rights abuses.. In its 2019 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices, ... Human rights organizations and press reporting alleged the CJTF committed human rights abuses," it explained. ... The report disclosed that the government took few steps to investigate or punish CJTF members who committed human rights abuses ... US Indicts Nigeria on Human Rights Abuses. March 19, 2020 4:31 am. 0 ...
The National Declassification Center Releases Records Relating to Human Rights Abuses in Argentina | National Archives
Human Rights Abuses in Argentina. 57067. 59. 33064618. HS1-413915044. UD-18D 5. AMEMBASSY BUENOS AIRES. SECSTATE WASHDC. ... The National Declassification Center Releases Records Relating to Human Rights Abuses in Argentina. A Presidential Tasking from ... Home , The National Declassification Center Releases Records Relating to Human Rights Abuses in Argentina ... to search for records relating to human rights abuses committed in Argentina between January 1, 1975, and December 31, 1984, ...
Amnesty International reports widespread human rights abuses in Europe - World Socialist Web Site
This documents AIs most pressing concerns about human rights abuses occurring in Europe between July and December 1999. ... Human rights defenders in Istanbul protesting the 10 deaths were badly beaten, threatened and verbally abused by police and ... A substantial section of the AIs review on the UK focuses on its record of human rights abuses in Northern Ireland, noting ... Amnesty International reports widespread human rights abuses in Europe. By Julie Hyland 15 April 2000 In March, Amnesty ...
Countries face pressure to boycott upcoming Beijing Olympics over China's human rights abuses
... pressure from advocacy groups who say the games should be moved or boycotted over the countrys notorious human rights abuses. ... Countries face pressure to boycott upcoming Beijing Olympics over Chinas human rights abuses. ... In recent years, human rights groups and media outlets have shed light on Chinas heinous treatment of Uyghurs - a Muslim ... Human rights advocates have also been critical of Chinas anti-democratic actions in Hong Kong - a province that has typically ...
Hold Shell accountable for human rights abuses in Nigeria
Board members of Royal Dutch Shell and Shell Nigeria which holds Shell to account for its role in recent human rights abuses in ... Today the US Supreme Court hears Kiobel v Shell, a case that alleges Shell aided and abetted human rights violations and crimes ... A global coalition of NGOs, human rights monitors, academics and analysts have joined Platform in sending a letter to the ... Twenty years later, Shells operations in the Niger Delta continue to be linked to human rights violations committed by ...
Olympics: Human Rights Watch report documents abuse of child athletes in Japan - Reuters
A Human Rights Watch report has found child athletes in Japan often suffer physical and verbal abuse and sometimes sexual abuse ... A Human Rights Watch report has found child athletes in Japan often suffer physical and verbal abuse and sometimes sexual abuse ... Olympics: Human Rights Watch report documents abuse of child athletes in Japan. ... "Human Rights Watch is calling on Japan to take decisive action and to lead in tackling this global crisis," Worden said. ...
Human Rights Abuses in China - The Mandate
... interest they had had before because of these human rights abuses.China must first fix the issue of the humanm rights abuse ... the human rights abuses in china will affect the 2008 olympics in Beinjin, people from defferent places around the world no ... Human Rights Abuses in China. By Editorial Staff Published April 22, 2008 ... Were trying to get the facts, but I consider this one of the most important human rights issues in the world today, and I ...
Human Rights Abuses In China - The Mandate
Some of my Chinese friends are tired of hearing about human rights abuses in China, Some say that if we stand up and we speak ... These victims of Chinas human rights abuses must not be forgotten. Today I honor the forgotten women and men of China, who are ... Human Rights Abuses In China. By Editorial Staff Published April 21, 2008 ... And these people are paying a high price for standing up for human rights. Several appeals, signed by dozens of Chinas leading ...
Risk Factors of Child Abuse & Neglect During COVID-19 | Human Rights Campaign
Risk Factors of Child Abuse & Neglect During COVID-19 , Human Rights Campaign. ... Human Rights Campaign, SHOWTIME® Announce Queer to Stay: An LGBTQ+ Business Preservation Initiative ... Take a look at our issue brief, Supporting Safe of LGBTQ Children and Youth: Risk Factors of Child Abuse and Neglect During ... Supporting Safety of LGBTQ Children & Youth: Risk Factors of Child Abuse & Neglect During COVID-19. Share this ...
Corporate Human Rights2018Amnesty InternationalImmunity for human rightsDefendersViolations of human rightsArbitraryTorture2019Extrajudicial killingsChina'sWidespread humanAccountableImpunityResource CentreComplicity in humanNigeriaSearch2020ObamaDetentionAbetted human rights vioChildren's rightsOfficialsIranianEthnicEnvironmental abuses2016AllegationsSystematicIranReutersHorrificMinoritiesHarassmentXinjiangCentreWatchReportUyghursVictimsCommitRouhaniSanctionsRedressMinorityDisappearancesActivistsSpecial Rapporteur2017Child abuseBeingsCountry'sReportsAccountabilityForced laborFreedomsPracticesFundamental rightsGovernment'sCHRIInvestigationCriticizesNGOsUnited NationsInternational HumPersecutionOrganizationsShellUnconscionableChildrenSupreme Court
Corporate Human Rights2
- Did you know we also work directly with community advocates, providing them with the skills and resources to document corporate human rights abuses and effectively communicate with business? (business-humanrights.org)
- We remain fully committed to continue challenging corporate human rights abuses and abuses by individual torturers and war criminals, no matter where they are committed. (ccrjustice.org)
- The election of 18 new countries to the Human Rights Council will be held at the UN in New York tomorrow, October 12, 2018. (unwatch.org)
-  In August 2018, UN human rights experts called on the government to release photographer Sahidul Alam, who was arrested and allegedly tortured after critical reporting on a student protest. (unwatch.org)
- A total of 48 Iraqi citizens were suspected of sexual abuse compared with 801 Finnish citizens in 2018, a HS graph shows. (yle.fi)
- The issue received renewed attention following the acquittal of Saeed Toosi , a well-known Quran reciter, of child abuse charges on January 26, 2018. (iranhumanrights.org)
- On July 24, 2018, lawmakers overwhelmingly approved the outline of the Bill For the Protection of the Rights of Children and Youth , which is intended to protect minors from violence, abuse, and harassment. (iranhumanrights.org)
- Public concerns about the lack of mechanisms for enforcing child protection laws arose in January 2018 when Saeed Toosi, a well-known Quran reciter, was acquitted of child abuse charges after initially being sentenced to four years in prison in 2016. (iranhumanrights.org)
- On July 24, 2018, the day the draft bill was passed, Ehya News published a report about a girl named "Negar" in the city of Karaj who had been abused all her life but her father. (iranhumanrights.org)
- In June 2018 a delegation of the African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights recommended that the country consider enacting laws to criminalize torture, but the government has not yet acted upon the recommendation. (state.gov)
- Sheikha Latifa bint Mohammed Al Maktoum drew international attention in 2018 when a human rights group released a video she made in which she described an attempt to escape Dubai . (abc.net.au)
- In December 2018, the UAE foreign ministry said Sheikha Latifa was at home and living with her family, after rights groups called on authorities in the Gulf Arab state to disclose her whereabouts and condition. (abc.net.au)
- If you are talented and passionate about human rights then Amnesty International wants to hear from you. (amnesty.org)
- According to Amnesty International, Iran may have executed as many as 77 minors over the past 10 years for crimes committed before the age of 18, a violation of international human rights laws. (washingtontimes.com)
- In its annual report, Amnesty International criticized Mexico for human rights abuses committed during President Calderon's militarized response to organized crime, a war which left more than 60,000 people dead and some 150,000 displaced. (insightcrime.org)
- Amnesty International is not the only international human rights watchdog to level critiques against Mexico's flawed justice system. (insightcrime.org)
- This report follows other Amnesty International reports on human rights abuses against ethnic, religious and cultural minorities in Iran. (iranrights.org)
- However, the Iranian authorities rarely respond to the organisation and Amnesty International has not been permitted to visit Iran to assess the human rights situation at first hand for more than 28 years, since shortly after the Islamic Revolution in February 1979. (iranrights.org)
- Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch, have documented a similar trend in human rights violations in Iran. (stopfundamentalism.com)
Immunity for human rights1
- Immunity for human rights abuses for Corporations? (thailand-business-news.com)
- During the first eight months of 2017, roughly "110 nationalist activists and human rights defenders" in Sindh disappeared. (wikipedia.org)
- Since November 21, a national strike has mobilized thousands of Colombians to the streets to protest issues ranging from tax reform proposals to the killing of human rights defenders. (hrw.org)
- This could criminalise human rights defenders and even two people just meeting for a coffee if they are known to be gay or bisexual. (change.org)
- Human rights defenders have condemned the approval of Chechnya as a World Cup training base due to its crackdowns on LGBT people and activists. (telegraph.co.uk)
- It is unacceptable for a footballer who should talk about equality and acceptance of all people in football to receive an award from a man who rejects any equality and acceptance of LGBTi people, who is accused of persecuting gay people and human rights defenders," Mr Agapov said. (telegraph.co.uk)
- Human rights defenders in Istanbul protesting the 10 deaths were badly beaten, threatened and verbally abused by police and detained. (wsws.org)
- Kurdish human rights defenders, community activists and journalists face arbitrary arrest and prosecution. (iranrights.org)
Violations of human rights5
- Any mechanism negotiated to address corporate violations of human rights would need to take account of the failures and shortcomings of the NCP system. (business-humanrights.org)
- As a nonprofit mental health watchdog, CCHR relies on memberships and donations to carry out its mission to eradicate psychiatric violations of human rights and clean up the field of mental health. (cchr.org)
- Accordingly, in 1969 Scientologists established the Citizens Commission on Human Rights (CCHR), a watchdog group that investigates and exposes psychiatric violations of human rights. (scientology.org)
- The government supports expanding the scope under which sanctions measures can be enacted-under the Special Economic Measures Act- to include cases of gross violations of human rights and foreign corruption. (canada.ca)
- HRW added, "Mostly [Shiite] militias fighting [IS] with the support of the Iraqi government, such as the Badr Brigades, League of the Righteous, and Hezbollah Brigades, carried out widespread violations of human rights and international humanitarian law, in particular by demolishing homes and shops in recaptured Sunni areas. (blogspot.com)
- Human rights abuses in Sindh, Pakistan, range from arbitrary arrests and enforced disappearances to torture, extrajudicial killings, and political repression. (wikipedia.org)
- We have gathered worrying accounts and evidence of abuses by Colombia's police, including arbitrary detention and brutal beatings against peaceful protesters, detainees, and bystanders," said José Miguel Vivanco , Americas director at Human Rights Watch. (hrw.org)
- Arbitrary detention under the so-called "arraigo" law - which allows authorities to holds suspects for up to 80 days without charge - is routinely used by prosecutors at both the state and federal level, and represents a serious abuse of human rights, the report said. (insightcrime.org)
- The plaintiffs accuse the company of aiding and abetting abuses by the Nigerian government, including arbitrary arrest, torture, rape, and the hanging of Dr. Barinem Kiobel, an Ogoni leader who was executed in 1995 alongside the author and activist Ken Saro Wiwa. (thailand-business-news.com)
- The fact-findings in this report show that those residents from the villages mentioned above experience various human rights abuses: such as extortion, arbitrary taxation, forced labor, land confiscation, ill-treatment, sentry duty and obstructing village security in their daily life committed by local based government's battalions and navy units. (rehmonnya.org)
- Under Article 3 and Article 9 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights , all human beings have the right to liberty and the right not to be subjected to arbitrary arrest and detention. (addameer.org)
- The use of administrative detention against children, human rights activists and Palestinian political figures indicate the arbitrary nature of the use of administrative detention by Israeli occupation and its illegality under International Humanitarian Law. (addameer.org)
- According to human rights organisation Redress, the Indian armed forces have abused power through privileges conferred in the act by using it as a manipulative tool to conduct "killings, torture, cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment and enforced disappearances. (wikipedia.org)
- L iverpool forward Mohamed Salah has been given honorary citizenship in Russia's Chechnya republic by Ramzan Kadyrov, the strongman ruler who has been accused of human rights violations including the widespread torture of gay men. (telegraph.co.uk)
- Mr. Speaker, two significant events marking the tragic human rights record of the People's Republic of China must not be allowed to pass without this body pausing to remember the victims in China who are not allowed to speak out for themselves without fear of persecution, imprisonment, torture, and death. (forerunner.com)
- Torture is also regularly used to obtain confessions from suspects, with the National Human Rights Commission registering 1,662 complaints last year alone. (insightcrime.org)
- The New York Times reveals that the Justice Department issued two secret rulings authorizing far more extensive use of torture and abuse during the interrogation of terror suspects than has previously been acknowledged by the White House (see February 2005 and Late 2005 ). (historycommons.org)
- This novel sanctions tool allows us to sanction not just those oppressive governments, but the companies that enable them with technology they use for oppression and the 'digital guns for hire' who create or operate systems used to monitor, track, and target citizens for killing, torture, or other grave abuses,' the White House statement said. (cnn.com)
- Article 4 prohibits "any form of harm, harassment, abuse or physical or mental torture of a child. (iranhumanrights.org)
- New York) - The Colombian National Police, in a number of instances, abused the mostly peaceful demonstrators protesting throughout the country in late 2019, Human Rights Watch said today. (hrw.org)
- Between November 2019 and February 2020, Human Rights Watch interviewed 26 victims of abuse, their relatives, human rights lawyers, and government officials, corroborated videos published on social media, reviewed medical reports and criminal complaints, and requested information from the Attorney General's Office, the Defense Ministry, and the Inspector-General's Office. (hrw.org)
- 213 people were detained and 1,662 others were "transferred" to administrative detention centers in connection to the national strike in 2019, the head of the National Police told Human Rights Watch on January 27. (hrw.org)
- In its 2019 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices, it alleged that various forms of rights abuses in the country. (thisdaylive.com)
- Such abuses include extrajudicial killings, forced labor, religious persecution, and restrictions on movement, all exacerbated by a draconian citizenship law that leaves the Rohingya stateless. (hrw.org)
- 2012-02-14T14:29:46-05:00 https://images.c-span.org/Files/c13/304416-m.jpg The wives of Chinese dissidents testified on their husbands' stories before the commission on China's human rights abuses. (c-span.org)
- The wives of Chinese dissidents testified on their husbands' stories before the commission on China's human rights abuses. (c-span.org)
- A small core of international lawyers and activists are prodding leading Olympic sponsors to acknowledge China's widely reported human-rights abuses against Muslim Uyghurs, Tibetans and other minorities. (abcactionnews.com)
- In recent years, human rights groups and media outlets have shed light on China's heinous treatment of Uyghurs - a Muslim minority population that primarily live in northwest China. (abcactionnews.com)
- Human rights advocates have also been critical of China's anti-democratic actions in Hong Kong - a province that has typically held its own democracy independent from the mainland's communist rule. (abcactionnews.com)
- Xiaorong Li, the vice-chair of Human Rights in China's Executive Committee and a research fellow at the Institute of Philosophy and Public Policy at the University of Maryland recently wrote: "In assessing the population policy, the unfair burdens that women have been made to bear in recent history for mistaken national policies must not be ignored. (forerunner.com)
- The U.S. sanctioned a top member of China's Communist Party on Thursday, along with three other senior officials and a Chinese entity involved in systematic human rights abuses of Muslim minorities and ethnic Kazakhs in China's western province of Xinjiang. (nbcnews.com)
- The Trump administration has likened China's mass detention of more than 1 million Muslim Uighurs in Xinjiang to the worst human rights abuses since the 1930s , when 6 million European Jews were killed in the Holocaust. (nbcnews.com)
- Among the issues discussed were China's human rights track record and ongoing controversial policy moves. (yle.fi)
- Amid inspections of China's military and reminiscences about the 1952 Helsinki Olympics, Niinistö told IS he got in questions about the dozen or so Canadian nationals being held in custody by Beijing as well as the fate of hundreds of thousands of Muslim Uighurs, who are being actively oppressed and monitored by the Chinese government in the western Xinjiang region according to human rights advocacy groups. (yle.fi)
- Pompeo said the documents underscored "an overwhelming and growing body of evidence" that China's leaders are responsible for gross human rights violations in the Xinjiang region. (go.com)
- Palestinians mark this day following two months of nonstop violence and widespread human rights violations by Israeli Occupation Forces against the Palestinian civilian population in response to a popular uprising in the occupied territory. (addameer.org)
- These findings suggest the need for a systematic response from the newly elected Haitian government, the UN, and social service organisations to address the legal, medical, psychological, and economic consequences of widespread human rights abuses and crime. (haitiaction.net)
- The Sierra Club believes that a boycott would "hold Shell accountable for its environmental abuses and tolerance of injustice" and hit the military leaders where it hurts: their substantial share of Nigeria's $10 billion oil revenue. (motherjones.com)
- I also want Nigerian leaders to be held accountable for their disinterest, despite these atrocities happening Right under their noses. (change.org)
- The government took few steps to investigate, prosecute, punish, or otherwise hold accountable officials, whether in the security services or elsewhere in the government , who committed abuses. (washingtontimes.com)
- The United States is committed to using the full breadth of its financial powers to hold human rights abusers accountable in Xinjiang and across the world," Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in the announcement. (nbcnews.com)
- Another Iranian attorney, Farideh Ghierat, pointed out to CHRI that Islamic law protects fathers from being held accountable for child abuse. (iranhumanrights.org)
- The Kiobel case, on the other hand, ended up heading to the Supreme Court on the question of whether corporations can be held accountable for human rights abuses and whether U.S. federal courts can hear claims arising from human rights violations committed abroad under the ATS. (ccrjustice.org)
- It adds that the Indian Army have at times acted with impunity as anti-terrorism laws in the state make prosecution of human rights violators difficult. (wikipedia.org)
- Business & Human Rights Resource Centre invited the companies named in this report to respond - the responses are linked below. (business-humanrights.org)
- Disclaimer: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre and its collaborative partners take no position on the diverse views presented in linked material by the various commentators, organizations & companies. (business-humanrights.org)
Complicity in human2
- This lawsuit was brought under the Alien Tort Statute and is a companion case to three lawsuits brought by CCR in 1996 against Royal Dutch Petroleum Company (Shell) for its complicity in human rights abuses against the Ogoni people in Nigeria. (ccrjustice.org)
- And how hard it is to hold those corporations to account even when there's lots of evidence of their involvement or complicity in human rights violations. (earther.com)
- Information on AI's current international campaign for human rights reform in Nigeria. (motherjones.com)
- The United States has indicted Nigeria on serious human rights abuses. (thisdaylive.com)
- A global coalition of NGOs, human rights monitors, academics and analysts have joined Platform in sending a letter to the Board members of Royal Dutch Shell and Shell Nigeria which holds Shell to account for its role in recent human rights abuses in Nigeria . (platformlondon.org)
- As the Nigerian government increases military spending and deploys more forces in the Delta and across Nigeria, there are clear risks that Shell will repeat the same mistakes, become complicit in human rights violations and fail to resolve some of the underlying issues of ongoing repression and pollution. (platformlondon.org)
- A Presidential Tasking from the Executive Secretary of the National Security Council (NSC) on June 13, 2016, directed various Executive branch departments and agencies, including the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), to search for records relating to human rights abuses committed in Argentina between January 1, 1975, and December 31, 1984, and to review responsive records for public access. (archives.gov)
- The Secretary-General of World Sindhi Congress told the United Nations Human Rights Council on 25 September 2020 that "enforced disappearances of Sindhi people by Pakistan agencies continue unabated. (wikipedia.org)
- Espitia told Human Rights Watch on January 22, 2020 that his office was investigating 72 cases of possible abuse by police officers during the protests. (hrw.org)
- The regime made it clear that it wouldn't bother with maintaining a pretense of relaxing its grip, with the arrest of protesters at a march of the dissident group Ladies in White while President Obama was en route to the country. (nationalreview.com)
- Castro railed against alleged human-rights abuses in the United States - Obama obligingly said he welcomed the dialogue - and El Presidente denied holding any political prisoners when reporters dared ask about it. (nationalreview.com)
- The White House announced Monday that President Barack Obama signed an executive order allowing new sanctions against companies that enable Syria and Iran to use technology such as cell phone monitoring to carry out human rights abuses. (cnn.com)
- The chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, Rep. Ed Royce (R-CA) sent a letter to President Barack Obama on Wednesday calling on the president directly to slap sanctions against senior Iranian officials over "serious human rights abuses against the people of Iran. (algemeiner.com)
- The province requested that GEO, which runs 134 facilities around the world-including 69 detention centers in the United States-"report annually…on how it implements" its human rights policy. (americamagazine.org)
- Jesuits West province requested that GEO, which runs 134 facilities around the world-including 69 detention centers in the United States-"report annually…on how it implements" its human rights policy. (americamagazine.org)
- In response, the Israeli police and military denied that the abuses had taken place and told Human Rights Watch that their forces conduct arrests and detention in accordance with the law. (pnn.ps)
- HRW investigated abusive arrests of children following local human rights organizations initial reports', which documented abuses of Palestinian children in Israeli detention. (palestinemonitor.org)
- In response to what the five Britons released from Guantanamo (see March 9, 2004 ) have claimed about the abuses they suffered during their stay at the US detention camp, John Sifton from Human Rights Watch says, "It is now clear that there is a systemic problem of abuse throughout the US military's detention facilities-not merely misbehavior by a few bad apples. (historycommons.org)
-  The use of administrative detention and trials before partial/politically motivated Israeli military courts further infringes on the right to fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal. (addameer.org)
- Reuters publishes statements of the abuses that Nielsen oversaw during her tenure as DHS Secretary, including: physical and emotional abuse, filthy conditions, and inadequate food and water for children and families in immigration detention. (civilrights.org)
- We have serious concerns about the human rights situation in Xinjiang and the Chinese government's escalating crackdown, in particular the extra-judicial detention of over a million Uyghur Muslims and other ethnic minorities," a British Foreign Office spokesperson said. (go.com)
Abetted human rights vio1
- Today the US Supreme Court hears Kiobel v Shell , a case that alleges Shell aided and abetted human rights violations and crimes against humanity committed by the Nigerian military against the Ogoni people from 1992 onwards. (platformlondon.org)
- According to the Palestinian children's rights group DCI-Palestine and the Israeli human rights group B'Tselem, which rely on information from the Israeli Prisons Authority, the number of Palestinian children arrested in the West Bank since October, when the violence increased, has risen by 150 percent relative to a year ago. (pnn.ps)
- Middle East Director Sarah Leah Whitson said that 'Israeli forces' mistreatment of Palestinian children is at odds with its claim to respect children's rights,' adding that 'as Israel's largest military donor, the US should press hard for an end to these abusive practices and for reforms. (palestinemonitor.org)
- Israel has been on notice for years that its security forces are abusing Palestinian children's rights in occupied territory, but the problems continue. (palestinemonitor.org)
- According to children's rights group Defense for Children International in Palestine (DCIP), three out of four Palestinian children experience physical violence during arrest or interrogation by Israeli forces. (palestinemonitor.org)
- The attacks on the Government officials and peoples from outside the region are still carried out by Terrorist groups and had been said that it is firmly supported by local peoples, is hampering the overall growth of the Human resources that is needed for the development of the region. (wikipedia.org)
- Human Rights Watch also met in Bogotá with government officials, including Defense Minister Carlos Holmes Trujillo, Police Director Oscar Atehortua Duque, and then-Attorney General Fabio Espitia. (hrw.org)
- On July 6, 2016, the Department of State submitted the first biannual report to Congress identifying persons determined by the Secretary of State to be responsible for serious human rights abuses or censorship in North Korea and containing an annex listing associated entities and officials. (state.gov)
- This report details aspects of the human rights and censorship situation in North Korea and the conduct of persons, including the following Government and/or Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) controlled groups and officials determined by the Secretary of State to be responsible for the commission of serious human rights abuses or censorship in the DPRK. (state.gov)
- Mr. Sanei said that even though Iran has signed the Convention on the Rights of the Child, an international human rights treaty that prohibits capital punishment for those younger than 18, Iranian officials say any provision that contradicts Shariah law is null and void in the country, allowing the courts to continue to carry out executions. (washingtontimes.com)
- It noted that the government took some steps to investigate alleged abuses but there were few public reports of prosecutions of officials who committed violations, whether in the security forces or elsewhere in the government. (thisdaylive.com)
- The report also criticized Mexico for the security forces' excessive use of force and extra-judicial killings in confrontations with criminal groups and for collusion between public officials and criminals in abusing migrants. (insightcrime.org)
- The separate responses of the Israeli army and Justice Ministry , failed to address the specific allegations of unnecessary force during arrest and subsequent ill-treatment, whilst insisting that security officials had adhered to the law in all cases, including informing the children of their rights. (palestinemonitor.org)
- HRW investigations indicate that existing laws are insufficient to safeguard the rights of Palestinian children in the custody of the Israeli police and the Israeli army, and that officials often adhere to legal requirements and procedures in a manner that undermines the protections they aimed to guarantee. (palestinemonitor.org)
- Trump signed legislation last month aimed at addressing human rights abuses of Uighurs in China, but he already had the authority to target the Chinese officials under the Global Magnitsky Act. (nbcnews.com)
- Despite intense pressure coming from local government officials and even health groups from the U.S. and other European countries, Thailand still engages in illegal practices which include abusing young migrants from Myanmar and Cambodia. (naturalnews.com)
- Designating and sanctioning Iranian officials - including senior members of the Rouhani administration - for their role in human rights abuses will remind the Iranian people that the American people are on their side, not the side of the brutal Iranian regime," he wrote. (algemeiner.com)
- The government took steps to prosecute officials who committed abuses. (state.gov)
- Authorities investigated credible allegations of inhuman conditions brought by inmates against prison officials and took disciplinary or judicial action against persons responsible for abuses. (state.gov)
- In addition, tens of thousands of children, both Iranian nationals and undocumented immigrants, are forced into prostitution in Iran , say government and nonprofit human rights researchers. (washingtontimes.com)
- But according to the latest Human Rights Report released by the Department of State, the Iranian government has done little to improve the plight of women and children. (washingtontimes.com)
- In Washington, Congress has passed several resolutions condemning human rights abuses in Iran , but those nonbinding resolutions have been met with little to no response from the Iranian government . (washingtontimes.com)
- It is calling on the Iranian authorities to take concrete measures to end the discrimination and associated human rights violations, in accordance with their obligations under international law. (iranrights.org)
- In his article for Arab News, Dr. Majid Rafizadeh, Harvard-educated Iranian-American political scientist and leading expert on Iran / US foreign policy, and president of the International American Council writes, "The nature and character of the Iranian regime's human rights abuses is diverse and multi-dimensional. (stopfundamentalism.com)
- According to Dr. Majid Rafizadeh, "It is incumbent on the UN, international human rights organizations and the international community to enforce justice and the rule of law by pressuring the Iranian regime to stop such egregious human rights violations. (stopfundamentalism.com)
- If Iranian President Rouhani were to take steps towards stopping these abuses, the people would support his stance. (stopfundamentalism.com)
- While the UN documents the situation of human rights violations in Iran, they must also enforce justice and the rule of law on the Iranian regime. (stopfundamentalism.com)
- Some Iranian female lawmakers have called for immediate deliberations on a bill for the protection of children to prevent future cases of child abuse in Iran. (iranhumanrights.org)
- An Iranian attorney told the Center for Human Rights in Iran (CHRI) that the real problem is the lack of enforcement of current laws protecting children in the country. (iranhumanrights.org)
- The letter by Royce, a vocal opponent of the president's nuclear agreement, noted that since September 2013, shortly before the announcement of an interim agreement with Tehran over its nuclear program was announced, only one Iranian official and "two other entities" have been sanctioned for human rights abuses. (algemeiner.com)
- But the oppression of those who do not even challenge the leadership, who are deprived of basic rights and ask merely to be treated as Iranian citizens, is no less significant. (skeptical-science.com)
- NGO Human Rights Watch says ethnic communities in Mali, especially the Arab and Tuareg minorities, are allegedly being targeted by soldiers and civilians. (france24.com)
- While Bangladesh is known for receiving large numbers of Rohinyga Muslims fleeing ethnic cleansing in neighboring Burma (Myanmar), its treatment of those refugees and its overall record on human rights are problematic. (unwatch.org)
- The United States will not stand idly by as the CCP carries out human rights abuses targeting Uyghurs, ethnic Kazakhs, and members of other minority groups in Xinjiang," Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a statement, referring to the Chinese Communist Party. (nbcnews.com)
- Human rights violations have continued in these areas and thousands of ethnic civilians continue to suffer from abuses committed by troops of the Burmese Army. (rehmonnya.org)
- In many non-conflict ethnic ceasefire areas, government authorities and troops of the Burmese Army continue to commit human rights violations in the rural areas. (rehmonnya.org)
- The rights of ethnic and religious minorities make up the fourth bracket. (stopfundamentalism.com)
- Iran continues its discrimination, harassment, and human rights abuses against ethnic and religious minorities. (stopfundamentalism.com)
- These human rights abuses seem to go hand-in-hand with environmental abuses. (greenpeace.org)
- Taipei, April 14, 2016 - A year-long Greenpeace East Asia investigation into Taiwan's distant water tuna fisheries has exposed illegal shark finning, labor and human rights abuses, as well as Taiwan's failure to adequately address issues such as murder and drug smuggling at sea. (greenpeace.org)
- No charges were filed in some of the significant allegations of human rights violations by security forces and cases of police or military extortion or other abuse of power.The Borno State government provided financial and in-kind resources to the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF), a nongovernmental self-defense militia that at times coordinated with the military. (thisdaylive.com)
- The Army issues a classified "Information Paper" entitled "Allegations of Detainee Abuse in Iraq and Afghanistan" that details the status of 62 investigations into prisoner abuse at Abu Ghraib and other sites in Iraq and Afghanistan. (historycommons.org)
- It is becoming a systematic problem for Barrick Gold Corp for almost two decades in denying allegations of human and environment rights abuses. (business-humanrights.org)
- There have been virtually no allegations - and no allegations found to be credible - of abuses by PJV security personnel since 2010. (business-humanrights.org)
- Speaking to reporters in Ottawa on Wednesday, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said allegations against the Chinese government involving their treatment of the minority Uyghur Muslim minority are based on "very credible reports" of human rights abuses. (globalnews.ca)
- The company has always denied these allegations, but it ended up paying a $15.5 million settlement in that case because it believed "the right way forward is to focus on the future for Ogoni people," as former Shell Director Malcolm Brinded told The Guardian in 2009. (earther.com)
- Most of these are absurd allegations as Tamils in Sri Lanka enjoy the same level of human rights as Tamils in Canada, UK or India. (lankaweb.com)
- In previous years, journalists reported allegations of authorities abusing asylum seekers in the FCII, but there were no reports of such abuses during the year. (state.gov)
- New York) - Burma's neighbors should press the Burmese military government to end systematic abuses of Rohingya Muslims and protect those who flee to their shores, Human Rights Watch said in a report released today. (hrw.org)
- Our results indicate that crime and systematic abuse of human rights were common in Port-au-Prince. (haitiaction.net)
- As the U.S. and its world partners race to reach a nuclear deal with Iran , women and children in the Islamic republic struggle under harsh, discriminatory laws despite numerous calls for reform from human rights groups and the international community. (washingtontimes.com)
- Meanwhile, children are subject to the death penalty in Iran , and the rate of executions of minors has increased in the past two years under "moderate" President Hassan Rouhani , according to Human Rights Watch. (washingtontimes.com)
- The United Nations in 2011 appointed a special rapporteur on human rights in Iran , but rapporteur Ahmed Shaheed has not been allowed to enter the country to conduct reviews. (washingtontimes.com)
- Human rights analysts say the abuses against women and children in Iran have increased in recent years. (washingtontimes.com)
- In general, the human rights situation has not improved and has remained pretty dire and in certain situations it has gotten worse," said Faraz Sanei , an Iran researcher at Human Rights Watch. (washingtontimes.com)
- The late Asma Jahangir, in her last report in August 2017, as Special Rapporteur to the UN, was very concern about the human rights situation in the Islamic Republic of Iran. (stopfundamentalism.com)
- Women's rights is described as the third category by Across the Middle East and North Africa, the rights of women are improving, but Iran appears to be heading in the opposite direction. (stopfundamentalism.com)
- Police figures show that foreign suspects in cases of child abuse in Finland hailed mainly from Iraq, Afghanistan, Estonia and Iran. (yle.fi)
- A bill drafted nine years ago in Iran to combat child abuse is finally being debated by Parliament following a number of recent abuse cases widely covered by the media. (iranhumanrights.org)
- Legislation is the first step before enforcement," Farideh Gheirat said in an interview with the Center for Human Rights in Iran (CHRI) on July 24. (iranhumanrights.org)
- In October 2017, Iran-based attorney Nemat Ahmadi, who specializes in child abuses cases, told CHRI that the state is unlikely to enforce the bill once it becomes law. (iranhumanrights.org)
- The State Department in its 2014 human rights report condemned Iran for myriad human rights abuses, including disappearances, executions without trial, and persecution of the LGBT population, minority groups and political dissidents. (algemeiner.com)
- Their suffering is emblematic of the human rights crisis in Iran. (skeptical-science.com)
- TOKYO (Reuters) - A Human Rights Watch report has found child athletes in Japan often suffer physical and verbal abuse and sometimes sexual abuse during training after documenting the experiences of over 800 athletes in 50 sports. (reuters.com)
- Also don't forget that journalist Ned Parker was targeted -- on Iraqi television -- for death after he and colleagues at REUTERS reported on some of the abuses taking place. (blogspot.com)
- Geng Ho detailed some of the horrific abuses endured by her husband, Gao Zhisheng, a Chinese attorney who took politically sensitive cases and was imprisoned for subversion. (c-span.org)
- In Brussels, the European Commission said it was calling on China "to uphold its international and international obligations and to respect human rights including when it comes to the rights of persons belonging to minorities especially in Xinjiang but also in Tibet and we will continue to affirm those positions in this context in particular. (go.com)
- Eighteen percent reported experiencing verbal abuse, and five reported experiencing sexual assault or harassment while participating in sport as children. (reuters.com)
- They can also ring the same numbers to anonymously report child labor, harassment and abuse, safety violations, and other grievances. (inhabitat.com)
- The abuses in Xinjiang demand a coordinated response from the global community to halt crimes against humanity and provide accountability and security for the Uighur people. (nbcnews.com)
- Now more than ever, advocates in NGOs and business need the information we provide to continue to put human rights at the centre of business. (business-humanrights.org)
- The formal complaint against the Jean Tweed Centre, which runs Palmerston House, followed Kristi Hanna's efforts to inquire about her own legal rights in this unusual situation, only to be told by Ontario's Human Rights Legal Support Centre that, by describing her new roommate as a "man," Hanna was the one engaged in illegal discrimination. (nationalpost.com)
- Lucy Hume, the outgoing executive director of the Jean Tweed Centre said her agency is "fully aware of the requirements under the Ontario Human Rights Code and are well known for our work in providing trauma-informed care across our programs. (nationalpost.com)
- Human Rights Watch, argues that human rights violations by Indian Security Forces have only fuelled the insurgency. (wikipedia.org)
- The office told Human Rights Watch that policemen have limited training in using the weapon, at times by officers who are not trained to use them. (hrw.org)
- Human Rights Watch documented six cases in which police brutally beat demonstrators and bystanders, including Carlos Steyler Obregon Ramírez, 24, whom officers attacked as he passed protesters while returning from work. (hrw.org)
- Human Rights Watch said that the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) has failed to address the Rohingya's plight adequately. (hrw.org)
- The treatment of the Rohingya in Burma is deplorable - the Burmese government doesn't just deny Rohingya their basic rights, it denies they are even Burmese citizens," said Elaine Pearson, deputy Asia director at Human Rights Watch. (hrw.org)
- In "Perilous Plight," Human Rights Watch calls on Burma's military government to recognize Rohingya as citizens, ensure their freedom of movement, and give human rights and humanitarian organizations access to Arakan state. (hrw.org)
- Is it right to take their resources but yet watch human beings die in a worse way than animals. (change.org)
- The specific abuses we documented include punching, slapping, kicking or striking with objects (and) excessive or insufficient food and water," Minky Worden, director of global initiatives at Human Rights Watch (HRW), told a news conference. (reuters.com)
- Human Rights Watch is calling on Japan to take decisive action and to lead in tackling this global crisis," Worden said. (reuters.com)
- Earlier this year, Human Rights Watch openly called for the arraigo law to be abolished, a move which, as InSight Crime has argued, would make sense both in terms of protecting human rights and fighting organized crime more effectively. (insightcrime.org)
- Following is an open letter from UN Watch's Hillel Neuer to Human Rights Watch chief Ken Roth, which went viral on Facebook. (unwatch.org)
-  According to Human Rights Watch, there were at least 30 assaults on journalists in 2017 and one murder of a journalist-Abdul Hakim Shimul in February 2017. (unwatch.org)
- A report by Human Rights Watch today said that Israeli security forces are abusing Palestinian children detained in the West Bank. (pnn.ps)
- Lawyers and human rights groups told Human Rights Watch that Israeli security forces routinely interrogate children without a parent present, violating international and domestic Israeli laws that provide special protections for detained children. (pnn.ps)
- In July 2015, Human Rights Watch documented six cases of abuse of children whom Israeli security forces had detained in East Jerusalem and other parts of the Israeli-occupied West Bank. (pnn.ps)
- Since then, Human Rights Watch has documented three new cases of physical abuse of children in custody and interrogation practices that violate these norms. (pnn.ps)
- Human Rights Watch interviewed three Palestinians, ages 14, 15, and 16, two of whom were arrested in East Jerusalem and a third in the West Bank city of Hebron, in October and November 2015. (pnn.ps)
- Human Rights Watch also interviewed witnesses to all three of these arrests and viewed a security camera video in which police officers can be seen using what appears to be unnecessary force to arrest the 15-year-old boy. (pnn.ps)
- Human Rights Watch also interviewed criminal defense lawyers working in East Jerusalem, submitted a list of questions to the Israeli police minister through a Knesset (parliament) member, and submitted questions to the Israeli military spokesperson's office and the Israeli police. (pnn.ps)
- It was a terrifying night," Fayez told Human Rights Watch. (pnn.ps)
- A Human Rights Watch (HRW) report released Monday accuses Israeli security forces of choking and beating Palestinian children in custody and threatening and interrogating child detainees without the presence of parents or lawyers. (palestinemonitor.org)
- In each case Human Rights Watch documented, children were interrogated without their parent's knowledge and without prior access to a lawyer. (palestinemonitor.org)
- A report published on Monday by Human Rights Watch reveals detained Palestinian children are being abused by Israeli police officers. (palestinemonitor.org)
- According to Human Rights Watch, Israeli forces are "using unnecessary force in arresting and detaining children," and in some cases "beating them, and holding them in unsafe and abusive conditions. (palestinemonitor.org)
- Human Rights Watch documented cases of physical abuse of children in custody and abusive interrogation practices, which is said to be "endemic" by criminal defence lawyers. (palestinemonitor.org)
- A 15-year-old Palestinian boy told Human Rights Watch officers "kicked him between the legs and banged his head against the ground," dragging him while being slapped and handcuffed. (palestinemonitor.org)
- A spokesperson from Seafood Watch has said that "every human rights expert [the group has] talked with says you can't boycott [these practices], you have to keep it out in the sunshine. (naturalnews.com)
- and (2) describes serious human rights abuses or censorship undertaken by the Government of North Korea or any person acting for or on behalf of that Government in the most recent year ending before the submission of the report. (state.gov)
- According to the Department of State's 2017 Human Rights Report on North Korea, the government added a software-based censorship program known as the "signature system" to all domestic mobile phones. (state.gov)
- Similarly, the 2015 U.S. State Department Trafficking in Person report urged Taiwan to "vigorously investigate and prosecute, using the newly established procedures, the owners of Taiwan-owned or -flagged fishing vessels who allegedly commit abuse and labor trafficking onboard long haul fishing vessels. (greenpeace.org)
- The report disclosed that the government took few steps to investigate or punish CJTF members who committed human rights abuses, including past recruitment and use of child soldiers. (thisdaylive.com)
- But when Jesuits West recently requested that GEO offer a yearly report on the implementation of its human rights policy, GEO management initially balked, arguing that answering these questions might violate the company's contracts with state and federal governments. (americamagazine.org)
- An ongoing problem is abuses committed by the security forces, especially when carrying out anti-crime operations, the report stated. (insightcrime.org)
- There is no available information on the number of police prosecuted and/or convicted for human rights crimes, the report added. (insightcrime.org)
- Criminal defense lawyers report that such abuse is endemic. (pnn.ps)
- These are not difficult abuses to end if the Israeli government were serious about doing so,' she said in a statement released alongside the report. (palestinemonitor.org)
- The report notes that confessions obtained from children in violation of their rights add to the pressure on them to cooperate in plea bargains that result in their imprisonment with reduced sentences. (palestinemonitor.org)
- Other similar reports of human and environment abuses by Barrick do confirm the Dirty Profit 6 Report. (business-humanrights.org)
- Inclusive Development International, in collaboration with Bank Information Center, Tarkapaw Youth Group, Urgewald, 11.11.11, Accountability Counsel, and Ulu Foundation allege in this report that various banks and investment groups have invested millions of dollars to operate or fund local companies in Southeast Asia that are linked to human rights abuses including land grabbing and forced evictions. (business-humanrights.org)
- HURFOM's objectives are to document and report human rights violations cases, taken place mainly in three regions: Mon State, Karen State, and the Tenasserim Division, to promote human rights and lessen the chance of future violations. (rehmonnya.org)
- Tbilisi, Georgia - December 16, 2013 - Disability Rights International , an international human rights organization based in Washington, DC, released a report today documenting atrocious human rights violations in the Republic of Georgia's orphanages and institutions for persons with disabilities. (usicd.org)
- But the report also finds that these very reforms have discriminated against children and adults with disabilities by leaving them to languish in institutions, separated from society, and at-risk of abuse and death. (usicd.org)
- In its annual report on the situation of human rights in the world in 2015, HRW wrote, "Iraqi security forces and pro-government militias committed possible war crimes during 2015 in their fight against the extremist group Islamic State … by unlawfully demolishing buildings in recaptured areas and forcibly disappearing residents. (blogspot.com)
- In a report released Tuesday, the human rights organization is accusing the multinational oil giant of complicity in the Nigerian military's murder of hundreds of indigenous Ogoni People in the 1990s amid protests against oil development along the Nigerian Delta. (earther.com)
- New Report and Colorful Protest Last Week at Chicago's Board of Trade Expose Snack Food Companies' Role in Orangutan Extinction, Climate Change and Human Rights Abuses. (ran.org)
- In February, the BBC reported that some Uyghurs allege they've been raped, sexually abused and tortured at the camps. (abcactionnews.com)
- On February 28, the Supreme Court will hear arguments in a case that will decide whether corporations will be exempted from a crucial law that allows foreign victims of serious human rights abuses to sue them in US courts for civil damages. (thailand-business-news.com)
- Kristi Hanna, who filed a human rights complaint after being told she was the one discriminating against a pre-operative transexual women who was in a shelter for female substance abusers: "We were all just blindsided… This is not about discrimination, this is about the safety of male-enforced trauma victims. (nationalpost.com)
- Georgia's laws prevent victims of abuse who are detained in these institutions from seeking justice. (usicd.org)
- The Government of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK or North Korea) continues to censor the media and commit serious human rights violations and abuses, including violations of individuals' freedom of expression. (state.gov)
- A Universal Periodic Review of the Human Rights situation in North Korea released by the Committee for Human Rights in North Korea confirmed that Group 109 continues to engage in these activities and commit further abuses. (state.gov)
- Esther Kiobel and others say Royal Dutch Petroleum (Shell) helped the Nigerian government commit human rights violations against her husband, who was executed in 1995. (atheistnexus.org)
- So far we haven't had a comprehensive law to protect the rights of children and because of that, child abusers have gone unpunished and go on to commit more crimes," she added. (iranhumanrights.org)
- Royce wrote that such human rights abuses have continued unabated even since the election of ostensible moderate President Hassan Rouhani, who was elected in part on a platform of rapprochement with the West. (algemeiner.com)
- In Canada and around the world, the issue of human rights sanctions and the Sergei Magnitsky case have drawn strong interest, and rightly so. (canada.ca)
- However, there is currently no Canadian law that authorizes the imposition of sanctions specifically for violations of international human rights obligations in a foreign state or for acts of corruption. (canada.ca)
- The question of how to effectively apply sanctions for human rights abuses and foreign corruption was among the issues examined by the Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs and International Development. (canada.ca)
- The government supports the committee's recommendation to bring forward a new instrument to impose sanctions for human rights violations or corruption. (canada.ca)
- The impact of the OECD Guidelines on Multinational Enterprises, a little-used regulatory mechanism designed to provide redress for corporate abuses of human rights. (business-humanrights.org)
- In Pakistan, the IRFR attributed the attacks on Hindus to claims of blasphemy against Islam and said: 'Members of religious minority communities stated the government was inconsistent in safeguarding minority rights, and official discrimination against Christians, Hindus, Sikhs and Ahmadis persisted. (business-standard.com)
- China denies abusing the Uighurs and other minority Muslim populations, and it has threatened retaliation for last month's legislation. (nbcnews.com)
- The enjoyment of the rights and freedoms set forth in this Convention shall be secured without discrimination on any ground such as sex, race, colour, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, association with a national minority, property, birth or other status. (ukhumanrightsblog.com)
- citation needed] In October 2011, Asian Human Rights Commission issued an appeal on information it had received that the Sindh University authorities allegedly used law enforcement agencies for disappearances of students in Sindh province. (wikipedia.org)
- However, when Kurdish rights activists link their human rights work - drawing attention to the government's failure to observe international human rights standards - to their Kurdish identity they risk further violations of their rights. (iranrights.org)
- Environmental NGOs, legal activists, corporate consultants, international institutions and many others are championing "rights-based approaches" as key to effective environmental policy. (thecornerhouse.org.uk)
- The UN Special Rapporteur for Human Rights in North Korea and NGO reports affirm that the government continues to punish individuals who listen to foreign media or produce content that is critical of the government, in violation of the individuals' freedom of expression. (state.gov)
-  Furthermore, in November 2017, Burma and Bangladesh announced an agreement to repatriate the refugees, sparking serious concerns that refugees' rights to non-refoulment would be violated and they would be forcibly returned. (unwatch.org)
- Public hearings on historic child abuse began in May 2017, and you can keep up to date with recent news at the Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry's home page . (scottishhumanrights.com)
- In 2017, the Commission made a submission to the Justice Committee of the Scottish Parliament on the Limitation (Childhood Abuse) (Scotland) Bill. (scottishhumanrights.com)
- In 2017, the Commission drafted a paper on effective remedies for survivors who experienced abuse prior to September 1964. (scottishhumanrights.com)
- In July 2017, the rape and murder of seven-year-old Atena Aslani , whose body showed "signs of sexual abuse," also caused public outrage. (iranhumanrights.org)
- It noted child abuse in sport is a global problem and that the systems for reporting abuse are opaque, unresponsive, and inadequate. (reuters.com)
- Take a look at our issue brief, Supporting Safe of LGBTQ Children and Youth: Risk Factors of Child Abuse and Neglect During COVID-19 . (hrc.org)
- Statistics of loss of dignity and life through child abuse, gang violence, child labor and child soldiers are staggeringly high. (youthforhumanrights.org)
- Child abuse -40 million children below the age of 15 suffer from abuse and neglect. (youthforhumanrights.org)
- The Commission has been working since 2009 to promote effective access to justice and remedies for survivors of historic child abuse. (scottishhumanrights.com)
- The Commission has also made submissions to the Scottish Government about introducing a National Confidential Forum on historic child abuse (NCF). (scottishhumanrights.com)
- The InterAction process is based on a Human Rights Framework for Justice and Remedies for Historic Child Abuse . (scottishhumanrights.com)
- You can read the analysis of international human rights law relevant to historic child abuse in Word format, and read the research paper in PDF format. (scottishhumanrights.com)
- The increase in incidents of child abuse is not becoming of the Islamic Republic. (iranhumanrights.org)
- We cannot deal with child abuse with our current laws," said Member of Parliament (MP) Masoumeh Aghapour Alishahi, a member of the Women's Faction. (iranhumanrights.org)
- Ahmadi, who has worked on many child abuse and discrimination cases, added, "Our current laws are not bad. (iranhumanrights.org)
- Article 5 of the Law for the Protection of Children and Juveniles (2002) states that "child abuse is a public crime that does not require a private complainant. (iranhumanrights.org)
- On Monday, the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights described the family separation policy as child abuse and called it a 'cruel practice. (bustle.com)
- Al Hussein cited the president of the American Association of Pediatrics, Dr. Colleen Kraft, who told CNN the practice is ' government-sanctioned child abuse ' that is 'creating a whole generation of kids who are traumatized' in his statement. (bustle.com)
- Bibliography 331: Index 333About The Book:- This Work In Two Volumes Tracks Down The Current Trends In Child Abuse And Also Looks Into The Provisions Of Human Rights Relevant To The Child. (rediff.com)
- Volume One Details Out The Role Of Parents, Media And Society Regarding Child Abuse. (rediff.com)
- When it comes to deciding whether we shall stand by the great principle that declares that all human beings are created equal and endowed by their Creator with the right to life, there is no choice for silence! (forerunner.com)
- Remote Neural Monitoring works remotely by monitoring and controlling the brains of non-consensual human beings while said human beings are going about their everyday lives, not harming anyone. (ning.com)
- Whereas disregard and contempt for human rights have resulted in barbarous acts which have outraged the conscience of mankind, and the advent of a world in which human beings shall enjoy freedom of speech and belief and freedom from fear and want has been proclaimed as the highest aspiration of the common people. (newjerusalemcoming.com)
- BRASILIA Brazil (AP) - Brazilian legislators have started investigating human rights abuses committed during the South American country's past military regime. (lexisnexis.com)
- With the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing, China quickly approaching, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and countries around the world are facing pressure from advocacy groups who say the games should be moved or boycotted over the country's notorious human rights abuses. (abcactionnews.com)
- 27 June 1997 (RFE/RL) - Belarus' President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has indignantly denied that human rights and press freedoms are restricted, and said media reports about conditions in Belarus are often incorrect. (rferl.org)
- A heavily redacted e-mail shows that either a military officer or government official is told that three reports of detainee abuse from Iraq are "probably true/valid. (historycommons.org)
- There are no indications that the medic ever reports the abuse. (historycommons.org)
- In Dirty Profits 6 Facing Finance shows how extractive companies have dealt with human rights and environmental violations shown in Dirty Profits reports since 2012, as well as how selected European banks have reacted to these violations in their provision of finance over time. (business-humanrights.org)
- Data is taken from reliable government and media reports of known abuses. (naturalnews.com)
- There were no significant reports regarding conditions at other prisons that raised human rights concerns. (state.gov)
- The tool was created to address the ongoing problem of forced labor and human trafficking still occurring in Thailand's fishing industry. (naturalnews.com)
- In the past two months, Israeli Occupation Forces have escalated oppressive policies and practices against Palestinians in the occupied territory in a flagrant violation of fundamental human rights and freedoms. (addameer.org)
- 4 It details the impact of discriminatory practices on the civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights of the Kurds. (iranrights.org)
- It highlights the double oppression suffered by Kurdish women and girls - partly the consequence of attitudes and practices deeply rooted in Kurdish culture, partly the result of the government's failure to promote and protect the rights of women and Kurds. (iranrights.org)
- Today, CCHR is a worldwide force actively working to eliminate brutal treatments, criminal practices and human rights abuses in the field of mental health. (scientology.org)
- The Court of Justice in The Hague last week ruled that the European Patents Organisation (EPO) is in conflict with important European fundamental rights, such as the right to strike. (sp.nl)
- These policies are aimed at imposing collective punishment against Palestinians for their uprising against Israel's oppression and outrages against their fundamental rights and inherent dignity which International Human Rights Law aims to preserve. (addameer.org)
- The Directive has been opposed by lawmakers in the European Parliament who argue that it fosters a surveillance society and undermines fundamental rights. (eff.org)
- Under the EU Charter on Fundamental Rights, the Directive will only be legal if both requirements are met. (eff.org)
- As HRW's Middle East director Sarah Leah Watson put it, "The Syrian government's brutal tactics cannot justify abuses by armed opposition groups. (blogspot.com)
- As long as in theology the father is considered the owner of his children, nothing can be done to deal with fathers who abuse their children," Gheirat told CHRI. (iranhumanrights.org)
- Please sign this petition and share it, so that an investigation can be launched by international organizations and human rights groups all over the world to do a root cause analysis and implement ways to stop this from happening over and over again. (change.org)
- The Exclusion of Children and Adults with Disabilities from Reform and Rights Protection in the Republic of Georgia , criticizes United States and other foreign assistance efforts that have funded and rebuilt institutions, such as Martkopi and Temi, that improperly segregate children and adults with disabilities from society. (usicd.org)
- By far the largest single category of cases reviewed by NCPs relate to human rights abuses, and almost all such complaints are made by two types of 'civil society' organisations: NGOs and trade unions. (business-humanrights.org)
- Today, Dec. 10, was designated as International Human Rights Day by the United Nations in 1950. (onegreenplanet.org)
- Nikki Haley, the United States ambassador to the UN, responded without specifically addressing the subject of the office's claims, saying, 'Once again, the United Nations shows its hypocrisy by calling out the United States while it ignores the reprehensible human rights records of several members of its own Human Rights Council. (bustle.com)
- Under international human rights law, alleged abuses by security officers should instead be investigated by the civilian justice system. (hrw.org)
- According to the 1994 Human Rights in Developing Countries Yearbook, there have been many cases of political persecution in Sindh. (wikipedia.org)
- Persecution and human rights violations against the Rohingya inside Burma, especially in Arakan state, have persisted for over 20 years, with insufficient international attention. (hrw.org)
- Persecution of the Rohingya is nothing new, so it's time for Burma's neighbors to act to stop them from being further abused," said Pearson. (hrw.org)
- In 1996, ten Nigerians sued Shell for these alleged human rights abuses, including the hanging of nine leaders with the Movement for the Survival of the Ogoni People (MOSOP), which led the anti-oil force in the region. (earther.com)
- In his address to the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva, Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein spoke about how the Trump administration is separating parents and children who cross the U.S. border without documentation and said, 'the thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable. (bustle.com)
- The next Homeland Security Secretary must condemn the unconscionable civil and human rights abuses that she implemented during her tenure - not try to outdo them, as President Trump wishes. (civilrights.org)
- Youth for Human Rights International maintains that children who do not know their rights are vulnerable and easy prey for ill-intended individuals. (youthforhumanrights.org)
- Acknowledgement of historic abuse of children in care and effective apologies are achieved. (scottishhumanrights.com)
- Future Pathways offers help and support to people who were abused or neglected as children while they were living in care in Scotland. (scottishhumanrights.com)
- According to prisoners' rights group Addameer, there were around 400 Palestinian children being held in Israeli military prisons in February, with at least 100 of them being under the age of 16. (palestinemonitor.org)
- But MP Mostafa Kavakebian responded that according to Islam, "the rights of children and the weak must be respected. (iranhumanrights.org)
- Hussein first listed the human rights abuses of a number of familiar autocratic nations, including North Korean, Syria, and Venezuela, before adding the United States to his list for the forced separation of nearly 2,000 children from their families in a six-week period. (bustle.com)
- Improperly stripped of legal rights, parents with disabilities are separated from their children who are raised in other institutions. (usicd.org)
- This creates a serious risk of further abuse, disappearance of children from families, or trafficking. (usicd.org)
- "There is an urgent need for the government of Georgia to save its children with disabilities from these abusive environments and to provide opportunities for them to live in the community," said Eric Rosenthal, the Executive Director of Disability Rights International. (usicd.org)
- Anna Arganashvili of the Georgian advocacy organization Partners for Human Rights (PHR) spoke out in support of DRI's findings: "For years, the government of Georgia promised they would find a way to ensure that children with disabilities would return to family and community life. (usicd.org)
- Occupied Ramallah - 10 December 2015 -This year, Palestinians mark International Human Rights Day mourning over 118 Palestinians including 25 children who were killed by IOF in the past two months. (addameer.org)
- DHS and Department of Health and Human Services announces its plan to withdraw from the Flores Settlement Agreement, which is a set of protections for underage migrant children in government custody. (civilrights.org)
- This initiative has been developed in various parts of the country with a view to protecting the human rights of children, adolescents and young people. (caritas.org)
- San Francisco - The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) today urged the U.S. Supreme Court to protect consumers' traditional right to use, repair, and resell the products they own, even if those products are patented. (eff.org)