A group of islands in Polynesia, in the north central Pacific Ocean, comprising eight major and 114 minor islands, largely volcanic and coral. Its capital is Honolulu. It was first reached by Polynesians about 500 A.D. It was discovered and named the Sandwich Islands in 1778 by Captain Cook. The islands were united under the rule of King Kamehameha 1795-1819 and requested annexation to the United States in 1893 when a provisional government was set up. Hawaii was established as a territory in 1900 and admitted as a state in 1959. The name is from the Polynesian Owhyhii, place of the gods, with reference to the two volcanoes Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa, regarded as the abode of the gods. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p493 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p2330)
Areas of increased density of the dinucleotide sequence cytosine--phosphate diester--guanine. They form stretches of DNA several hundred to several thousand base pairs long. In humans there are about 45,000 CpG islands, mostly found at the 5' ends of genes. They are unmethylated except for those on the inactive X chromosome and some associated with imprinted genes.
A deficiency of blood coagulation factor IX inherited as an X-linked disorder. (Also known as Christmas Disease, after the first patient studied in detail, not the holy day.) Historical and clinical features resemble those in classic hemophilia (HEMOPHILIA A), but patients present with fewer symptoms. Severity of bleeding is usually similar in members of a single family. Many patients are asymptomatic until the hemostatic system is stressed by surgery or trauma. Treatment is similar to that for hemophilia A. (From Cecil Textbook of Medicine, 19th ed, p1008)
Indian Ocean Islands
Numerous islands in the Indian Ocean situated east of Madagascar, north to the Arabian Sea and east to Sri Lanka. Included are COMOROS (republic), MADAGASCAR (republic), Maldives (republic), MAURITIUS (parliamentary democracy), Pemba (administered by Tanzania), REUNION (a department of France), and SEYCHELLES (republic).
The collective name for the islands of the central Pacific Ocean, including the Austral Islands, Cook Islands, Easter Island, HAWAII; NEW ZEALAND; Phoenix Islands, PITCAIRN ISLAND; SAMOA; TONGA; Tuamotu Archipelago, Wake Island, and Wallis and Futuna Islands. Polynesians are of the Caucasoid race, but many are of mixed origin. Polynesia is from the Greek poly, many + nesos, island, with reference to the many islands in the group. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p966 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p426)
Prince Edward Island
An island in the Gulf of St. Lawrence constituting a province of Canada in the eastern part of the country. It is very irregular in shape with many deep inlets. Its capital is Charlottetown. Discovered by the French in 1534 and originally named Ile Saint-Jean, it was renamed in 1799 in honor of Prince Edward, fourth son of George III and future father of Queen Victoria. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p981 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p433)
Scattered islands in the Mediterranean Sea. The chief islands are the Balearic Islands (belong to Spain; Majorca and Minorca are among these), Corsica (belongs to France), Crete (belongs to Greece), CYPRUS (a republic), the Cyclades, Dodecanese and Ionian Islands (belong to Greece), MALTA (a republic), Sardinia and SICILY (belong to Italy). (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p747)
Oceanic Ancestry Group
A group of islands of SAMOA, in the southwest central Pacific. Its capital is Pago Pago. The islands were ruled by native chiefs until about 1869. An object of American interest beginning in 1839, Pago Pago and trading and extraterritorial rights were granted to the United States in 1878. The United States, Germany, and England administered the islands jointly 1889-99, but in 1899 they were granted to the United States by treaty. The Department of the Interior has administered American Samoa since 1951. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p44)
United States Virgin Islands
A group of islands in the Lesser Antilles in the West Indies, the three main islands being St. Croix, St. Thomas, and St. John. The capital is Charlotte Amalie. Before 1917 the U.S. Virgin Islands were held by the Danish and called the Danish West Indies but the name was changed when the United States acquired them by purchase.
The collective name for the islands of the Pacific Ocean northeast of Australia, including NEW CALEDONIA; VANUATU; New Hebrides, Solomon Islands, Admiralty Islands, Bismarck Archipelago, FIJI, etc. Melanesia (from the Greek melas, black + nesos, island) is so called from the black color of the natives who are generally considered to be descended originally from the Negroid Papuans and the Polynesians or Malays. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p748 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p344)
Analog or digital communications device in which the user has a wireless connection from a telephone to a nearby transmitter. It is termed cellular because the service area is divided into multiple "cells." As the user moves from one cell area to another, the call is transferred to the local transmitter.
Dissertations, Academic as Topic
Organic chemistry methodology that mimics the modular nature of various biosynthetic processes. It uses highly reliable and selective reactions designed to "click" i.e., rapidly join small modular units together in high yield, without offensive byproducts. In combination with COMBINATORIAL CHEMISTRY TECHNIQUES, it is used for the synthesis of new compounds and combinatorial libraries.
Encyclopedias as Topic
Duty to Warn
An autosomal dominant inherited disorder (with a high frequency of spontaneous mutations) that features developmental changes in the nervous system, muscles, bones, and skin, most notably in tissue derived from the embryonic NEURAL CREST. Multiple hyperpigmented skin lesions and subcutaneous tumors are the hallmark of this disease. Peripheral and central nervous system neoplasms occur frequently, especially OPTIC NERVE GLIOMA and NEUROFIBROSARCOMA. NF1 is caused by mutations which inactivate the NF1 gene (GENES, NEUROFIBROMATOSIS 1) on chromosome 17q. The incidence of learning disabilities is also elevated in this condition. (From Adams et al., Principles of Neurology, 6th ed, pp1014-18) There is overlap of clinical features with NOONAN SYNDROME in a syndrome called neurofibromatosis-Noonan syndrome. Both the PTPN11 and NF1 gene products are involved in the SIGNAL TRANSDUCTION pathway of Ras (RAS PROTEINS).
Tropical Storm Zelda (1991)
Written at Majuro, Marshall Islands. "Akaka critical of aid to the Marshall Isles". Hawaii Tribune-Herald. Hilo, Hawaii. p. 2. ... Power lines were cut across the island. There were no deaths or significant injuries. Other islands in the nation had their ... On Ebeye Island, 60 percent of homes made of plywood and sheet-iron roofs were destroyed by the storm, and 6,000 people were ... The Marshall Islands also requested funds from other countries. Westerly winds near the equator - associated with an ongoing El ...
... is a Hawaii County park located just east of Hilo, Hawaii, on the Big Island of Hawaii. Adjacent is the Lele'iwi Beach Park. ... John R. K. Clark (1985). Beaches of the Big Island. University of Hawaii Press. p. 27. ISBN 978-0-8248-0976-8. "Richardson ... There he gathered up the rest of the family and headed for Hilo and the hospital. In spite of these valiant efforts, two of the ... Richardson Beach is the only beach in the Hilo area with black sand and green sand. Monk Seals and turtles frequent this area ...
Ohana by Hawaiian
Hawai'i Island; and Kahului and Hilo. Hawaiian Airlines suspended all 'Ohana by Hawaiian service on January 14th, 2021. In July ... Cargo flights are flown into Hilo, Kona, Kahului and Lihue. List of airlines of Hawaii Schofield, Adrian (October 16, 2013). " ... "Hawaiian gives inter-island cargo the 'Ohana treatment". Air Cargo World. 2015-09-04. Retrieved 2018-07-14. "Hawaiian to Expand ... CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) United States portal Hawaii portal Companies portal Aviation portal. ...
William Herbert Shipman
ISBN 978-0-7734-9097-0. "Hawaiian Paradise Park (HPP)". Hilo, HI, USA: Island Trust Properties. Archived from the original on ... University of Hawaii Press. p. 308. ISBN 978-0-8248-2692-5. John R. K. Clark (1985). Beaches of the Big Island. University of ... University of Hawai'i Press. ISBN 0-8248-1680-3. W. H. Shipman Home, Reeds Island: a National Historic Site. United States. ... A historic house associated with his family for over a hundred years is called the W. H. Shipman House in Hilo, Hawaii. Another ...
"Naha Stone, Big Island". www.to-hawaii.com. Retrieved 2017-05-19. "Hawai'i Volcanoes & Haleakala National Parks (Nature Notes ... The Naha Stone is a large volcanic rock located in Hilo, Hawaii. The stone was used in the cultural traditions of Native ... It was found on the banks of the Wailua river before being moved via a double canoe to Hilo, where it became a symbol of the ... A legend existed that if one were to overturn the stone, that man would be granted the power to unify all of Hawaii. King ...
S. Hata Building
1946 Aleutian Islands earthquake that devastated much of Hilo. The train tracks of the Hawaii Consolidated Railway were ... Hawai'i Island, which is the youngest and farthest away from the much older kūpuna islands in the Monument. A 3,500-US-gallon ( ... Robert Oaks (2003). Hawai'i:A history of the Big Island. Arcadia Publishing. p. 84. ISBN 978-0-7385-2436-8. Kevin Dayton (May 7 ... This gave him the inspiration to start his own business at Hilo on the Big Island on January 3, 1896 called S. Hata Shoten, ...
... was a Queen consort of Hawaii island in ancient Hawaii. She was also High Chiefess of Hilo by birth. She was ... 2. University of Hawaii Press. p. 101. ISBN 0-939154-37-4. Family tree of Hawaiian chiefs Archived 2014-05-03 at the Wayback ... Lonomaʻaikanaka was a daughter of High Chief Ahu-a-ʻI, belonging to the powerful and widely spread ʻI family of Hilo, and his ...
George Washington Pilipō
... on the island of Hawaii. He had eleven siblings but only himself and another sibling survived to maturity. He was educated at ... Pilipō became a member of the Queen Emma Party and joined with Representative Joseph Nāwahī of Hilo in forming the native ... Hawaii (1918). Lydecker, Robert Colfax (ed.). Roster Legislatures of Hawaii, 1841-1918. Honolulu: Hawaiian Gazette Company. ... Kanahele, George S. (1999). Emma: Hawaii's Remarkable Queen. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press. ISBN 978-0-8248-2240-8. OCLC ...
... was a High Chiefess in ancient Hawaii, Chiefess of Hawaiʻi island and Queen consort of Maui. She is mentioned in ... Kapohauola was a sister of Princess Kapohanaupuni of Hilo. This means that her parents were King Kahokuohua and his wife ...
"Alae Cemetery, Mormon Section, Hilo, North Hilo District, Big Island of Hawaii, HI". Alae Cemetery. Retrieved 23 July 2019.. ... Hawaii. Though only two known recordings exist of "Uncle Fred," he remains one of the most influential slack key artists of all ...
Hurricane Lane (2018)
"Waterspout forms off Hilo as Hurricane Lane passes Hawaii island". KHON2. August 23, 2018. Archived from the original on ... "Brown water advisory posted for some Hawaii Island coastlines". Hawaii News Now. September 4, 2018. Archived from the original ... In and around Hilo, swollen rivers inundated homes and 100 people required rescue in the Reeds Island subdivision. Water ... The island's tourism returned to normal levels by the start of September. Tropical cyclones portal Hawaii portal Other tropical ...
HMS Blonde (1819)
On 3 May land was first sighted off the island of Hawaii at Hilo. On 4 May they landed at Lahaina on the island of Maui where ... Robert Dampier (1971). To the Sandwich Islands on H.M.S. Blonde. University Press of Hawaii, Honolulu. ISBN 978-0-87022-176-7. ... The Hawaiian Islands had been named the "Sandwich Islands" in honor of John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich who was the sponsor ... On 7 June Blonde sailed back past Maui to Hilo, where they had church services on 12 June. For a while Hilo Bay was called " ...
CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) "'Hi Hilo' Program Opens New Big Isle TV Channel". The Sunday Star-Bulletin. May 15, ... KHLO (850 AM) is a radio station licensed to Hilo, Hawaii, United States. The station serves the Hilo area. The station is ... CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) Gerhart, Matt (July 4, 2017). "Big Island ESPN Radio off the air". Hawaii Tribune- ... CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) "Hilo Station Moves To New Headquarters". Hawaii Tribune-Herald. October 3, 1966. p. 2 ...
List of earthquakes in 1985
Hawaii and at Pago Pago, American Samoa; 22 centimetres (0.72 ft) at Hilo, Hawaii; 21 centimetres (0.69 ft) at Baltra Island, ... Felt on Raoul Island. Also felt in the eastern and southern parts of North Island and at Christchurch and Dunedin, South Island ... A tsunami generated with wave heights: 1.1 metres (3.6 ft) at Valparaíso; 48 centimetres (1.57 ft) at Hilo, Hawaii; 15 ... June 23 - A magnitude 6.1 earthquake hits Solomon Islands. Felt strongly in the eastern side of the islands. July 3 - A ...
2018 Pacific hurricane season
Miriam became a hurricane at 18:00 UTC on August 29, while around 1,035 mi (1,665 km) east-southeast of Hilo, Hawaii; the ... Overall, the impact to land was minimal; high surf was reported along the southern shores of Hawaii's Big Island and several ... Lane brought record rainfall to Hawaii's Big Island, becoming the wettest tropical cyclone for that state and the second ... Olivia's approach towards the Hawaiian Islands prompted the issuance of tropical storm watches and warnings for Hawaii County, ...
He was born ʻIoane Hohopa in Hilo, on the island of Hawaii, around the 1830s. His obituary in The Hawaiian Star newspaper noted ... Hilo, HI: Humu Moʻolelo. 1 (2): 80-86. OCLC 72467302. "Brief Mentions". The Pacific Commercial Advertiser. Honolulu. July 31, ... Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press. ISBN 978-0-8248-8156-6. OCLC 1085155006. Kanahele, George S. (1979). Hawaiian Music and ... University Press of Hawaii. ISBN 978-0-8248-0578-4. OCLC 903648649. Kuykendall, Ralph Simpson (1967). The Hawaiian Kingdom 1874 ...
King Kamehameha I Day
On the Island of Hawaii, there are three floral parades held. One between the towns of Hawi and Kapaʻau and one in the town of ... and in Hilo, island of Hawaiʻi. King Kamehameha Day, June 11, was first proclaimed by Kamehameha V (on December 22, 1871) as a ... A floral parade is held annually at various locations throughout the state of Hawaii. On the island of Oahu, the parade runs ... The same is done at the Kamehameha Statue on the former monarch's home island, the Big Island of Hawaiʻi. Outside of the state ...
"Big Island"), distinguishing himself as a respected leader. James Kealoha was born on April 29, 1908, in Pahoa on Hawaii island ... In the Chinese community in Hawaii, he was commonly known as Lee Yat Wo. He graduated from Hilo High School in 1926 and started ... In 1963, James Kealoha Beach Park on Hawaii Island was named in his honor. Also known to residents as "4-Miles," the park is ... Prior to his election as Lieutenant Governor, Kealoha served a number of years as a legislator on Hawaii island (the " ...
Hoshida also became president of a Hawaii Island Judo Federation. He married and had a family. After the 1941 Pearl Harbor ... He and his family emigrated to Hilo, Territory of Hawaii in 1912. After his graduation from junior high school, Hoshida started ... Born in Japan, Hoshida had immigrated as a five-year-old child with his family to Hawai'i in 1912; it was then a territory of ... Hoshida grew up to live and work in Hawai'i and married there. After the Pearl Harbor attack in 1941, the United States feared ...
... (97.1 FM) is a radio station in Hilo, Hawaii broadcasting a classic hits format. The station is currently owned by New ... CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) "Isle gets first gospel FM station". Hawaii Tribune-Herald. July 24, 1985. p. 8. ... CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) "Ground is broken for tower for gospel station in Hilo". Hawaii Tribune-Herald. ... CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) "Hilo to get Christian radio station in 1984". Hawaii Tribune-Herald. December 9, 1983 ...
Linda Dela Cruz
Dela Cruz was elected as a trustee of the Office of Hawaiian Affairs in 2000, representing the island of Hawaii. She was ... In 1975 she and her husband moved to a 10-acre guava orchard near Hilo on Hawaiian home land. She served as president for ... Linda was promoted as "Hawaii's Canary" as an echo of Lena Machado's nickname, "Hawaii's Songbird". Dela Cruz's first ... Office of Hawaiian Affiars IV v. Housing and Community Development Corporation of Hawaii HCDCH, 25570 (Supreme Court of Hawai'i ...
A destructive tsunami reaches the Hawaiian Islands resulting in dozens of deaths, mostly in Hilo, Hawaii. 1947 - The only ... 1946 - The 8.6 Mw Aleutian Islands earthquake shakes the Aleutian Islands with a maximum Mercalli intensity of VI (Strong). ... 1948 - Faroe Islands gain autonomy from Denmark. 1949 - Chinese Civil War: The Chinese Communist Party holds unsuccessful peace ...
He and his wife live with their daughters in Hilo, Kahele's lifetime home on Hawai'i Island. Kahele is a military and civilian ... "System Is Broken". hilo.hawaii.edu. Retrieved 2018-04-16. "SB 1161 - Hawaii 2017 Regular Session". Open States. Retrieved 2018- ... "East Hawaii lawmakers outline legislative priorities - West Hawaii Today". West Hawaii Today. Retrieved 2018-04-16. "HB 2104 - ... HB 2014 for $1M in research funding related to rat lungworm disease at UH Hilo was introduced in the Hawaii House but has not ...
USS R-14 (SS-91)
Lieutenant Gallemore decided they could try to sail the boat to the port of Hilo, Hawaii. He therefore ordered a foresail made ... southeast of the island of Hawaii. Since the submarine's electric motors did not have enough battery power to propel her to ... After 64 hours under sail at slightly varying speeds, R-14 entered Hilo Harbor under battery propulsion on the morning of 15 ... Hawaii, the ship's engineering officer Roy Trent Gallemore came up with a novel solution to their problem. ...
... moved back to Hawaii coaching elite youth soccer academy Abunai island soccer. Hashimoto ... coached with the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo men's soccer team in 2012. SMU Mustangs Player Profile Archived January 29, 2008 ... Hashimoto grew up in Hawaii, where he played soccer at Iolani School. He was a two time (2001, 2002) All State soccer player ...
Lower Waiakea Mountain Bicycle Park
Big Island technical cross country riding , MTB Hawaii". MTB Hawaii. Retrieved 2018-09-13. Fodor's big island of Hawaii. New ... "Hawai`i's first Mountain Bike Park is official! - Hilo Bike Hub". www.hilobikehub.com. Retrieved 2018-09-13. Hawaii, Mountain ... 155.0885967 Lower Waiakea Mountain Bicycle Park is the state of Hawai'i's first bicycle park created by Big Island Mountain ... A free permit is required and can be obtained at the Division of Forestry and Wildlife in Hilo or in Waimea. The trail network ...
1994 Pacific hurricane season
As it approached the Hawaiian Islands, a high surf advisory and a high wind warning were issued for the Big Island of Hawaii. ... southeast of Hilo, Hawaii. The depression moved westward without organizing, and dissipated on August 14. Moisture from the ... Carlotta buffeted Socorro Island with sustained winds of 39 mph (63 km/h) on June 30. Other than there, Carlotta caused no ... Emilia passed south of the Hawaiian Islands, producing swells of 6 to 10 feet (1.8 to 3.0 m) in height near the Puna and Ka'ū ...
Victorino studied business administration from Hawaii Community College and Hilo College (now University of Hawai'i at Hilo). ... Mike Victorino was born on the island of Hawaii on August 24, 1952. He spent his high school years on Lānaʻi, working in the ... "Terms of Office". elections.hawaii.gov. Archived from the original on February 3, 2019. Retrieved April 6, 2019. "Victorino to ... Osher, Wendy (August 11, 2018). "Hawaii Primary Election Results 2018". Maui Now. Archived from the original on February 15, ...
It is endemic to the island of Hawaii. The type locality is Hilo, where it was collected at an elevation of 2,000 feet (610 m ... Zimmerman, Elwood C. (1978). Insects of Hawaii. 9 Microlepidoptera. The University Press of Hawaii, Honolulu. hdl:10125/7338. ...
Margarete Garvin Gillin
In 1880, she moved to Hilo, Hawaii, but traveled to Hawaii's other islands to paint commissioned portraits. She returned to ... Margarete Garvin Gillin in AskArt.com Forbes, David W., Encounters with Paradise: Views of Hawaii and its People, 1778-1941, ... California in 1884, but made several more visits to Hawaii. She died in California in 1915. Gillin is best known for her simple ...
Wao Kele o Puna
Agreement Announced to Protect More Than 25,000 Acres Of Rainforest on Hawaii Island Office of Hawaiʻian Affairs, September 12 ... Wao Kele O Puna (Wao Kele) is Hawaiʻi's largest remaining lowland wet forest, about 15 mi (24 km) south of the city of Hilo, ... University of Hawaii. Retrieved September 16, 2009.. *^ "Population, Hawaii County 2008 estimate". Retrieved September 16, 2009 ... Hawaii.gov. Retrieved September 16, 2009.. *^ Olson, Harry J. (January 29, 1992). "Preliminary Results and Status report of the ...
Köppen climate classification
Hilo, Hawaii, United States (Af). *Honiara, Solomon Islands (Af). *Innisfail, Queensland, Australia (Af) ... and on nearby islands. ET climates are also found on some islands near the Antarctic Convergence, and at high elevations ... to islands off such coasts. They occur in both hemispheres, most often at latitudes from 60° north and south to 70° north and ... Rare instances of this climate can be found in some coastal locations in the North Atlantic and at high altitudes in Hawaii. ...
It generated a tsunami which inundated Hilo on the island of Hawaii with a 14-metre high (46 ft) surge. Between 165 and 173 ... Susceptible locations are believed to be the Big Island of Hawaii, Fogo in the Cape Verde Islands, La Reunion in the Indian ... Canary Islands, and on the island of Hawaii". Science of Tsunami Hazards. 20 (5): 251-277. Retrieved 7 September 2014.. ... and Cumbre Vieja on the island of La Palma in the Canary Islands; along with other volcanic ocean islands. This is because ...
The National Clonal Germplasm Repository at Hilo, USDA-ARS, has initiated studies of in vitro and vegetative propagation for ... In Indonesia, especially in Minahasa and Moluccas islands, the kernels are used for making cake, bobengka in Minahasan or ... In gardens of Hawaii. Bernice P. Bishop Museum. Special Pub. Bishop Museum Press. ... A recently released pili cultivar in Hawaii, 'Poamoho', may further stimulate the interest in this crop. Besides the desirable ...
The Agriculture of Hawaii: Hawaii Pineapples, To-Hawaii.com; accessed 2018.08.28. ... "Hilo" is a compact, 1.0- to 1.5-kg (2- to 3-lb) Hawaiian variant of smooth cayenne; the fruit is more cylindrical and produces ... Columbus encountered the pineapple in 1493 on the leeward island of Guadeloupe. He called it piña de Indes, meaning "pine of ... "Sunrise, Sunset". Hawaii Business. 46 (2): 60. 2000.. *^ a b c d Duane P. Bartholomew (2009). "'MD-2' Pineapple Transforms the ...
List of fatal, unprovoked shark attacks in the United States
While surfing near the Mokulua Islands off Lanikai, Oahu, Hawaii, Weaver was killed when his leg was severed. Rescue personnel ... This victim was attacked while fishing at Hilo, Hawaii. 1900s. Name, Age. Date. Species. Location; Comments ... Maui, Hawaii. unconfirmed, presumed to be a Tiger shark. Cruse, a resident of Kihei, Hawaii, was bitten in the upper torso ... This victim disappeared while fishing from shore at South Kohala, Big Island, Hawaii. Police divers only recovered the elderly ...
Ruth M. Tabrah (1984). Hawaii: A History. W. W. Norton & Company.. *^ "Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park: Hawai'i Island, Hawai'i ... the light created by the event was so intense that one could reportedly read a newspaper in Hilo at night, 30 km (19 mi) away.[ ... Kīlauea, a shield volcano on the island of Hawaii, which is the largest and the southeastern-most of the Hawaiian islands ... Volcanism in Hawaii: papers to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the founding of the Hawaii Volcano Observatory (PDF). United ...
List of United States presidential electors, 2008
Joy Kobashigawa Lewis of Honolulu, HI, at-large elector.. *Marie Dolores Strazar of Hilo, HI, at-large elector. ... Rhode Island. Electors: 4, pledged to Barack Obama and Joe Biden: ... Frances K. Kagawa of Honolulu, HI, at-large elector.. Idaho. Electors: 4, pledged to John McCain and Sarah Palin: ... Hawaii. Electors: 4, pledged to Barack Obama and Joe Biden: ...
The Agriculture of Hawaii: Hawaii Pineapples, To-Hawaii.com; accessed 2018.08.28. ... "Hilo" is a compact, 1.0- to 1.5-kg (2- to 3-lb) Hawaiian variant of smooth cayenne; the fruit is more cylindrical and produces ... and Dole and Del Monte also established plantations in the island of Mindanao in the 1920s; in the provinces of Cotabato and ... "Sunrise, Sunset". Hawaii Business. 46 (2): 60. 2000.. *^ a b Rhodes J (20 March 2013). "It's Pineapple Season, But Does Your ...
And in Hawaii at the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden in Hilo, Lyon Arboretum in Honolulu, and Glenn's Flowers and Plants in ... Luzon Island, by members of the United States Exploring Expedition led by U.S. Navy Lt. Charles Wilkes . One can only imagine ...
The "Earhart Tree" on Banyan Drive in Hilo, Hawaii, was planted by Earhart in 1935. ... Island, Fanning (Tabuaeran) Island, the Gilbert Islands and the Marshall Islands, but no trace of the Electra or its occupants ... The Gardner Island hypothesis has the plane making it to Gardner Island (now Nikumaroro), one of the Phoenix Islands. ... Gardner Island hypothesis. Gardner (Nikumaroro) Island in 2014. "Seven Site" is a focus of the search for Amelia Earhart's ...
1983 Pacific hurricane season
As Raymond approached Hawaii, the cyclone kicked up very high surfs that pounded the big island. On the east end of the ... At this time, Narda was located about 300 mi (485 km) southeast of Hilo. That evening, the storm start to show signs of ... "Tropical Storm Misses Hawaii". Philadelphia Inquirer. August 4, 1983.. *^ "Navy reaches toss boated; Utah abadored". Deseret ... gale warnings and high surf advisories were dropped that day for all islands except for the Big Island. The outer rainbands ...
Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park
... state of Hawaii on the island of Hawaii. The park encompasses two active volcanoes: Kīlauea, one of the world's most active ... Hilo. Coordinates. 19°23′N 155°12′W / 19.383°N 155.200°W / 19.383; -155.200Coordinates: 19°23′N 155°12′W / 19.383°N ... HI-76, "Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Water Collection System, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Volcano, Hawaii County, HI", 51 ... HI-47, "Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Roads, Volcano, Hawaii County, HI", 6 photos, 20 measured drawings, 116 data pages, 1 ...
2005 Pacific hurricane season
However, the remnants of the depression dropped moderate to heavy rainfall in Hawaii, particularly on the Island of Hawaii. ... 00 UTC on September 25 a few hundred miles north of Hilo, Hawaii. ... Rainfall totals measured up to 8.8 in (223.5 mm) in Glenwood, Hawaii. Flash floods was reported in Kona and Ka'ū, while ... Lake Wilson and the Kaukonahua Stream both overflowed their banks as a result. A few homes were flooded along Hawaii Route ...
List of natural history museums in the United States
Tidelands Nature Center, Jekyll Island. *West Georgia Museum, Tallapoosa. Hawai'i. *Bernice P. Bishop Museum, Honolulu ... Nani Mau Gardens, Hilo. Idaho. *Boise State University Vertebrate Museum, Boise ... Rhode Island. *Edna Lawrence Nature Lab at the Rhode Island School of Design, Providence ... Weedon Island Preserve Cultural and Natural History Center, St. Petersburg. Georgia. *Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center, ...
Lane prompted the issuance of hurricane watches and warnings for every island in Hawaii. From August 22 to 26, Lane brought ... Effects were most significant in and around Hilo where multiple neighborhoods were flooded. Across the Big Island, 159 ... the Sandwich Islands (Hawaii), and Latin America in late 1848. Of the approximately 300,000 people who came to California ... Its only known fossils were found in 1999 on Cajual Island in the rocks of the Alcântara Formation, which is known for its ...
The Hawaiian language takes its name from the largest island in the Hawaiian state, Hawaii (Hawaiʻi in the Hawaiian language). ... The ʻAha Pūnana Leo's Hawaiian language preschools in Hilo, Hawaii, have received international recognition. The local ... The isolated island of Niʻihau, located off the southwest coast of Kauai, is the one island where Hawaiian (more specifically a ... "Hawaiian News: ʻÂhaʻi ʻÔlelo Ola - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL". Hawaii News Now. Retrieved May 12, 2012.. ...
List of United States Representatives from Hawaii
Rhode Island (H, S). *South Carolina (H, S). *South Dakota (H, S) ... Hawaii achieved statehood. Ed Case. Democratic. 2nd. November ... Hawaii becomes Territory. Living former Members of the U.S. House of Representatives from Hawaii. As of October 2016[ ... Hawaii's 1st district: Colleen Hanabusa (D) (2011-2015, since 2016) Website. *Hawaii's 2nd district: Tulsi Gabbard (D) (since ... The following is an alphabetical list of members of the United States House of Representatives from the state of Hawaii. For ...
Li-Hing & Lychee ice shaved from crack seed shop in Hilo, Hawai'i ... On the Big Island of Hawai'i, it is also referred to as 'ice ... as well as on Maui and the Big Island of Hawai'i (where it is called "Japanese style"). ... Although the traditional American flavors are common, shave ice in Hawai'i is often flavored with local ingredients such as ...
Hawaiian Acres, Hawaii
Hawaiian Acres is located on the eastern side of the island of Hawaii at 19°32′56″N 155°3′21″W / 19.54889°N 155.05583°W / ... The community is 15 miles (24 km) south of Hilo. According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 19.4 ... "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Hawaiian Acres CDP, Hawaii". American Factfinder. U.S. Census ...
Fern Acres, Hawaii
Fern Acres is located on the eastern side of the island of Hawaii at 19°30′43″N 155°5′24″W / 19.51194°N 155.09000°W / ... The community is 17 miles (27 km) south of Hilo and 16 miles (26 km) east of the entrance to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. ... "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Fern Acres CDP, Hawaii". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau ...
Hilo, Hawaii: Petroglyph Press. ISBN 0-912180-59-5. Stokes, J. F. G., Heiau of Molokai. 1909 in MS. The Ancient Worship of the ... Hervey Islands, Fate Islands, Nauru, and other Pacific Island groups. There is debate over which Hina the story refers to but ... Hina of Hilo is best known as the mother of Hawaiian hero, Māui. Hina, the wife of Akalana, is known as the goddess of the moon ... One example is the legend Sina and the Eel which is associated with the Mata o le Alelo pool on the island of Savai'i. In Rapa ...
They had four sons born while at Hilo. In 1845 they moved to Waialua on the island of Oʻahu. In 1846 the family moved to teach ... at a similar school at the Waiʻoli Mission near Hanalei, Hawaii, on the northern coast of the island of Kauaʻi. There they had ... The Wilcoxes taught at the Hilo Mission boarding school founded by David Belden Lyman and his wife on the Island of Hawaiʻi. ... They were assigned to be in the eighth company of missionaries to Hawaii for the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign ...
Intercultural bilingual education
KAWAKAMI, ALICE J.; DUDOIT, WAIANUHEA (2000). "Ua Ao Hawai'i/Hawai'i Is Enlightened: Ownership in a Hawaiian Language Immersion ... In 1986, the ban on the Hawaiian language in schools was lifted, and in 1987 the first immersion school began in the islands. ... Today, the University of Hilo supports various post-graduate studies in Hawaiian language, literature, teaching and language ... Similar to IBE, there is an emphasis on training immersion teachers not just as educators, but as mauli ola Hawai'i or teachers ...
At Hawaii Barcoding At University of Hawaii at Hilo Munroidendron At Annotated Checklist of Cultivated Plants of Hawai'i At ... Polyscias racemosa is endemic to the Hawaiian island of Kauai. It is very rare in the wild and some of its original habitat has ... University of Hawaii Press: Honolulu, Hawaii. ISBN 978-0-915809-20-2. "Munroidendron racemosum". CPC National Collection Plant ... "Munroidendron, a new genus of Araliaceous trees from the island of Kauai". Botanical Leaflets 7(section V):21-24. published by ...
... I was a Princess of the island of Kauaʻi during the transition from ancient Hawaii to the Kingdom of Hawaii. ... She married the Ali'i Nui of Hilo, Kūhiō Kalanianaʻole, son of Chief Elelule, by his wife, Chiefess Poʻomaikelani, daughter of ... She was related to three of the four main island royal families: Maui, Kauai, and Oahu. Kūhiō Kalanianaʻole was the great-great ... grandson of King Keaweʻīkekahialiʻiokamoku of the island of Hawaiʻi. With Kūhiō she had three daughters who were all members of ...
William H. Cornwell
64-67 Hawaii & Lydecker 1918, p. 188; "A Provisional Government". The Daily Bulletin. Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands. January 18, ... p. 2.; "W. H. Cornwell Dead - Old Timers Dies at Waikapu After Short Illness". The Hilo Tribune. 9 (4). Hilo. November 27, 1903 ... Hawaii & Lydecker 1918, p. 178. Kuykendall 1967, p. 557. Hawaii & Lydecker 1918, p. 182. "Cornwell, William H. office record". ... Hawaii (1918). Lydecker, Robert Colfax (ed.). Roster Legislatures of Hawaii, 1841-1918. Honolulu: Hawaiian Gazette Company. ...
Eastern Orthodoxy in Hawaii
Juvenaly Mission of the Big Island. In 1882, the Kingdom of Hawaii sent a diplomatic delegation to St. Petersburg, Russia, to ... Archimandrite Innokenty Dronov of Hilo, a contemporary of St. Jonah of Hankou and St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco and ... see Overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii). In 1898, Hawaii was annexed by the United States of America. In the early 20th century ... On the island of Kauaʻi, three Russian forts were built: Fort Alexander, Fort Barclay, and Fort Elizabeth. Fort Alexander also ...
He went to Hawaii Pacific University on a basketball scholarship, but sat out his freshman season. Rowan was planning to study ... Billy Hull, Hilo's Penn decisions Gracie, Starbulletin-com BJ Penn beats Gracie, Big Daddy shockss everyone, mmaweekly.com " ... "Akebono, a Yokozuna who came from the isles". Le Monde De Sumo. Archived from the original on 8 May 2014. Retrieved 16 November ... University of Hawaii Press. ISBN 978-0-8248-3043-4. "第64代横綱 曙 太郎". Sumo DB. 1 June 2018. Retrieved 1 June 2018. "Akebono claims ...
USS Brevard (AK-164)
She delivered cargo both at Pearl Harbor and at Hilo on the island of Hawaii before departing the islands on 1 May. Brevard ... Wild later wrote, "came 'Fitting-Out Availability' at Treasure Island, California, loading of stores and material at Oakland, ... and put to sea for Hawaii on 8 April. Brevard carried fleet freight, spare parts and equipment either consigned directly to ...
626.82 + Flights from New Orleans (MSY) to Hilo (Big Island of Hawaii) (ITO) on Orbitz.com
Big Island of Hawaii) :Search on Orbitz for cheap New Orleans to Hilo (Big Island of Hawaii) flights and airlines tickets from ... New Orleans to Hilo. Orbitz is the number one travel site for finding guaranteed low prices on New Orleans to Hilo flights. Not ... More to explore for New Orleans to Hilo. Explore Hilo with Orbitzs Travel Guides to find the best flights, cars, vacation ... Flights from New Orleans to Hilo Flights from New Orleans to Hilo, current page ...
Hilo's Best Beaches, Hawaii's Big Island - Moon Travel Guides
Hilos beaches are all small pockets of sand between rocky lava fingers, which means fewer crowds & great picnicking. Heres ... Home » Activities » Beaches » Hilos Best Beaches, Hawaiis Big Island. Hilos Best Beaches, Hawaiis Big Island. Posted by ... Bree Kessler is the author of Moon Big Island of Hawaii. She splits her time between Hawaii and Alaska. Follow her on Twitter ... Downtown Hilo and the Bayfront. Hilo Bayfront Park. A thousand yards of gray-black sand that narrows considerably as it runs ...
Alternative Medicine : Big Island Spa & Tanning 29 Shipman Street No. 103 Hilo HI 96720 808-961-1919
HI Outpatient Operating Room Registered Nurse ...... Apply Now>>. 16 Scrub OR Tech opening in Hilo, Hawaii Hilo, HI, USA Aya ... Hawaii : Alternative Medicine. Big Island Spa & Tanning. 29 Shipman Street No. 103. Hilo, HI 96720. 808-961-1919 web Beauty & ... 11 RN/Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU) Honolulu, HI, USA HI Honolulu , HI Coastal Healthcare Resources, Inc. is looking for ... Big Island, Oahu, Kauai, Lanai ...... Apply Now>>. 26 NICU Travel Nurse - Honolulu, HI Honolulu, HI, USA Cariant Health ...
Hawaii Island Package Deals | Orbitz
Search the best Hawaii Island vacation deals & save more when you book your flight + hotel together. Lowest price guaranteed or ... Insider tips for Hawaii Island travel. Palace Theater (Hilo). Spice up the night at Hilos 1920s-era theater, complete with a ... Best time to take a trip to Hawaii Island. The Big Island may be home to both fire and ice, but at sea level the island thrives ... More to Explore for Hawaii Island. * Flights to Hawaii Island Shop the best airfares to get there ...
YWCA of Hawaii Island in Hilo, HI
'Nippon Maru' Returns to Hilo | Hawaii News and Island...
Nippon Maru Returns to Hilo. Posted on January 6, 2018 The Big Island of Hawaii Gannenmono Committee celebrated the 150th ... County of Hawaii awards this Certificate of Commemoration to welcome the visit of the Nippon Maru to the Port of Hilo. We are ... japanese-immigrants-in-hawaii, japanese-in-hawaii, nippon-maru, Rose Bautista ... The crew of the ship will be doing a beach cleanup tomorrow along Hilo Bay beginning at 10 a.m. and the public is welcome to ...
SONIA MANDALONIZ, DR Audiologist in HILO, HI 96720
HILO, HI 96720. Wellness.com provides reviews, contact information, driving directions and the phone number for BIG ISLAND ... Please call BIG ISLAND HEARING CENTER, LLC at (808) 935-1299 to schedule an appointment in HILO, HI or get more information. ... Services SONIA MANDALONIZ, DR provides Audiologist services in HILO, HI. An Audiologist is a specialist who works to identify, ... Big Island Hearing Center, LLC Hilo, HI. Mary Banser, AUD HILO, HI. ...
Greg W. Ruhland MD - Pain Management in Hilo, Hawaii (HI)
HI. Interventional management for acute and chronic pain syndromes and treatment of cancer pain. Member: International Spinal ... Hawaii Island Interventional Pain Management. 80 Pauahi St., Suite 104. Hilo, Hawaii, 96720 - United States ... Member: International Spinal Injection Society, President: Hawaii section, American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians ...
Kevin E. Lewis, Agent - Hilo, HI Real Estate Agent - realtor.com®
Agent in Hilo, HI, on Realtor.com®, your source for top rated real estate professionals ... Specializations: Pahoa, Keaau, Big Island, Hawaii, Hilo, land, Puna, homes, Hamakua * Areas Served: Hakalau, Hawaii National ... I am a long time resident on the Big Island, and a graduate of the University of Hawaii. For the past several years I have ... helped many clients buy or sell homes and land in Hilo, Hamakua, Puna on the Big Island of Hawaii. Id like to help you too! ...
University of Hawaii at Hilo Botanical Gardens - Wikipedia
"University of Hawaii at Hilo Botanical Gardens , Big Island Guide". Big Island Guide. 2018-03-23. Retrieved 2018-11-07. List of ... "Best Botanical Gardens on the Big Island (Hawaii): List with Map + Descriptions". Love Big Island. Retrieved 2018-11-07. " ... Hilo, Hawaiʻi on the island of Hawaiʻi. They are open daily without charge. The gardens were established by UH-Hilo professor ... "Botanical Gardens at UH Hilo receive Betty Crocker Landscape Award". University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo. August 24, 2012. Retrieved ...
20 Best Physician Jobs jobs (Hiring Now!) | Simply Hired
Vacation Rentals & Condos in Island of Hawaii | FlipKey
Hawaii on FlipKey today! FlipKey has thousands of reviews and photos to help you plan your memorable trip. Explore over 947 ... Book your perfect Vacation Rental in Island of Hawaii, ... BIG ISLAND HAWAII SOUTH OF HILO PARADISE ON A BUDGET Keaau ... Black Sand Beach (Big Island of Hawaii)Sea Mountain Condos Naalehu, HI Pahala condo ... We we able to get in the ocean everyday while also making day trips to discover other parts of the island. The small town feel ...
Vacation Rentals & Condos in Island of Hawaii | FlipKey
Hawaii on FlipKey today! FlipKey has thousands of reviews and photos to help you plan your memorable trip. Explore over 1,433 ... Book your perfect Vacation Rental in Island of Hawaii, ... Ocean front condo next to Reeds Bay in Hilo, HI Hilo apartment ... We we able to get in the ocean everyday while also making day trips to discover other parts of the island. The small town feel ... "Comfortable and Relaxing" This quaint home is located in a quiet and peaceful area of the Big Island. I found the house to be ...
Hilo Bay - Wikipedia
Hilo Bay is a large bay located on the eastern coast of the island of Hawaiʻi. The modern town of Hilo, Hawaii overlooks Hilo ... The small island Moku Ola (now called Coconut Island) was the site of an ancient temple dedicated to healing. Hilo Bay is ... The area just inland from the bay is the Hilo district, divided into north and south Hilo within the County of Hawaii.Banyan ... "Hilo Breakwater Notes". Overland Monthly. LIV. p. 73. John R. K. Clark (1985). Beaches of the Big Island. University of Hawaii ...
Canada Beach Destinations | Cvent Destination Guide
Hilo Hawaiian Hotel. Hilo. Big Island, HI. 286. 12,000 Sq. Ft.. Kiahuna Plantation & The Beach Bungalows. Koloa. Kauai, HI. 333 ... Hilton Head Island. Hilton Head Island, SC. 400. 20,000 Sq. Ft.. Marco Beach Ocean Resort. Marco Island. Fort Myers, FL. 93. ... Fairmont Orchid Hawaii. Kohala Coast. Big Island, HI. 540. 30,000 Sq. Ft.. ... South Seas Island Resort. Captiva Island. Fort Myers, FL. 471. 45,000 Sq. Ft.. ...
Hilo Fish Company Recall After Hepatitis A Found in Frozen Tuna | Hawaii News and Island Information
Filed under: Announcements, Food & Drink, Hawaii, Health, Hilo, Newspapers, Security Tagged: , Hepatitis A, Hilo Fish Company, ... Hawaii (U.S. mainland and other Hawaiian Islands were not affected by the recall). The state of Hawaii embargoed the lot that ... On May 2, the FDA contacted the Tropic Fish Hawaii LLC, a subsidiary distributor of Hilo Fish Company, to obtain additional ... On May 16, Hilo Fish Company notified the FDA that it had submitted samples of additional shipments held in its cold storage ...
Akido of Hilo Offering Women Free Classes During Domestic Violence Awareness Month | Hawaii News and Island Information
Aikido of Hilo will be offering women free Aikido classes for the month of October. Observed each year in October, DVAM grew ... Filed under: aloha, Announcements, Big Island, Education, Hawaii, Hilo, KOs, Security , Tagged: Akido of Hilo, Domestic ... brianansorge on Canadian Bobsledders to Come to Big Island of Hawaii to Hunt Pigs ... Hawaii News Now. * Tobacco dealers may be seeing bigger fees due to tax increase bill bit.ly/2HQL69w #HNN 1 hour ago ...
Man charged in Big Island homicide | KHON2
KHON2 is Hawaiis leading source of local news, sports, weather, breaking news, and traffic for all counties including Honolulu ... Big Island Police have charged a 43-year-old Puna man in connection with a fatal shooting. ... Suspect arrested after shooting, hostage situation on Hawaii island. Hilo man wanted for allegedly stabbing visitor on New ... Its one of the main attractions on the island of Hawaii, so its a big blow to the community that depends on the foot traffic. ...
Hawaii's Most Wanted: Aupiu Savea Ah You | KHON2
KHON2 is Hawaiis leading source of local news, sports, weather, breaking news, and traffic for all counties including Honolulu ... Rainbow Warriors top UH Hilo in neighbor island showdown. December 9, 2017. ... BANZAI PIPELINE, Oahu, Hawaii/USA (Thursday, December 7, 2017) - The worlds best surfers have arrived in Hawaii for the ... Hawaiis Most Wanted: Aupiu Savea Ah You. By Marisa Yamane Published: March 19, 2017, 12:10 pm. Updated: July 7, 2017, 12:59 pm ...
Panaewa Rainforest Zoo and Gardens (Hilo): 2018 All You Need to Know Before You Go (with PHOTOS)
... ranked No.12 on TripAdvisor among 52 attractions in Hilo. ... Hilo: See 458 reviews, articles, and 276 photos of Panaewa ... Popular Island of Hawaii Categories*Cheap Accommodations in Hilo. *Hotels with Balconies in Hilo ... While we were staying in Hilo, we made a point to visit on our way out of town. Our kids, ages 6.5 and 4 loved it! There were ... While we were staying in Hilo, we made a point to visit on our way out of town. Our kids, ages 6.5... read more ...
21st Century Webster's Family Encyclopedia - Healy, James Augustine to Hobart, Garret Augustus - JRank Articles
Hilo. Hilo (pop. 35,400), city on the eastern shore of Hawaii Island. ... Hispaniola, second largest island in the West Indies, located west of Puerto Rico and east of Cuba. ... 1,071,900), industrial city on Honshu Island, Japan, located on a bay in the Inland Sea, capital of Hiroshima Prefecture. ... Hebrides, group of about 500 islands off the northwest coast of Scotland, fewer than 100 of them inhabited. ...
USDA APHIS | Invasive Species in Island Ecosystems
History of the Hilo, HI, Field Station. Current Hilo, HI, Field Station Information ... Hawaii Field Station. P.O. Box 10880. Hilo, HI 96721. (808) 932-4750 ... Rats have significant agricultural, natural resource, and human health impacts in the Hawaiian Islands. Where they are used, ... Recognizing this need, Congress directed the establishment of a research project in cooperation with the Hawaii Agricultural ...
Ristorante Hilo Bay Cafe - Hilo, HI | OpenTable
HI. Esplora il menu, guarda le foto e leggi 885 recensioni: Excellent setting, food, and staff. Alyesha was exceptional. ... Prenota adesso da Hilo Bay Cafe a Hilo, , ... Tutto in questa zona1149Oahu663Maui218Hawaii / Big Island158 ... After several previous trips to Hilo on our annual visit to the Big Island, we made a point of coming here. Our dinner here did ... So I called hilo bay cafe. I asked for a manager. The girl asked what it was regarding because she said its really busy. 😡 I ...
Hilo Bay Cafe Restaurant - Hilo, HI | OpenTable
Book now at Hilo Bay Cafe in Hilo, explore menu, see photos and read 836 reviews: Delicious dinner at a beautiful spot ... Hawaii)·Dined on January 3, 2018. We live in Kailua Kona & came over to the Hilo side of the island to spend some time at the ... All Hawaii1142Oahu657Maui218Hawaii / Big Island158Kauai102Lanai7 ... For Hilo where it is difficult to find nice places to eat, Hilo ... Dining outdoors on the covered lanai with a view across Hilo Bay makes it one of the most scenic dining experiences in Hilo. ...
Hawaii Island Police Searching for 36-Year-Old Hilo Man Wanted on Warrant Arrest | Hawaii News and Island Information
Hawaiʻi Island police are searching for a 36-year-old Hilo man wanted on a warrant of arrest.Lathan Rosa is wanted on a $10,000 ... Hawaii Island Police Searching for 36-Year-Old Hilo Man Wanted on Warrant Arrest. Posted on September 4, 2013 by Damon ... Filed under: Announcements, Big Island, Hawaii, Hilo, Legal, Wanted , Tagged: Lathan Rosa , ... Hawaiʻi Island police are searching for a 36-year-old Hilo man wanted on a warrant of arrest. ...
Download America Cascade Daylight Falls, cascade, exteriors, photo,...
Hawaii Island braces for effects of Hurricane Madeline
Hawaii County Civil Defense says you should finish your storm preparations by Tuesday night, because hurricane-force winds will ... At the KTA Super Stores in Hilo, people were stocking up on supplies, and stores will open at 4:30 a.m. Wednesday so residents ... Hawaii Island braces for effects of Hurricane Madeline Local News Posted: Aug 29, 2016 / 03:54 AM HST. / Updated: Aug 29, 2016 ... The following Hawaii Island shelters will open at 5 p.m. Tuesday (pet-friendly shelters are marked with an asterisk): ...
All Posts Archives - UH Hilo Interim Chancellor's Blog
Non-perishable food items are accepted and will be donated to the Hawaii Island Food Basket. The UH Hilo goal is to raise $ ... University of Hawaii at Hilo Interim Chancellor Marcia Sakai presented the UH Hilo Enrollment Management Report to the UH ... in the memo so that it will count towards UH Hilo totals. Checks can also be made, payable to "Hawaii Island Food Basket"-the ... The Fall Food Drive is underway at the University of Hawaii at Hilo. The event, hosted by the the Campus and Community Service ...
State Health Officials Criticized For Dengue Outbreak Response In Audit
According to the former County of Hawaii Civil Defense director, County of Hawaii officials learned of the islands dengue ... Management Changed At Hilos COVID-Ravaged Yukio Okutsu Veterans Home. New Views Of Kilauea Volcano Summit Water Lake. Hawaii ... The County of Hawaii mayor issues an emergency declaration for Hawaii Island. ... DOH releases a medical advisory to Hawaii Island healthcare providers to report patients who were evaluated on or after ...
VIDEO: TMT Hearing Begins, Participants Gather
Management Changed At Hilos COVID-Ravaged Yukio Okutsu Veterans Home. New Views Of Kilauea Volcano Summit Water Lake. Hawaii ... At 9 a.m., the conch shell was blown in unison with others at different locations on Hawaii Island who are joined in opposition ... HILO, Hawaii - Minutes before the start of the Thirty Meter Telescope contested case hearing, participants gathered outside the ... HILO (BIVN) - "We trust and believe," participant Pua Case said during a prayer circle outside, seeing the recent dusting of ...
967202018KonaHonoluluMauiVolcanoesPunaOahuAgricultural Research CenterHonokaaKamehameha AveBanyan DriveLavaBIVNBeachesHawaii'sHarborIsland'sTravelersAkaka FallsUniversityResortHawaiianVolcanoCENTERKauai1960Forest ReserveCivil defenseTsunamisTribune-HeraldAlohaHilo'sHurricane LaneHakalauAreaDepartsPahoaNewsDepartmentFarmersHamakua CoastGardensCountyPeopleOpenGingerHalfwayWailukuKilometersCleanupHighwayCoastalVolcanic islandsInternational Airport
- 355 Kinoole Street, Hilo, HI 96720. (hawaiitribune-herald.com)
- The Big Island of Hawai'i Gannenmono Committee celebrated the 150th anniversary of Japanese immigrants in Hawai'i with the return of the Japanese training sailing ship, Nippon Maru in Hilo on Saturday, Jan. 6, 2018. (damontucker.com)
- In August 2018, over a four-day period, Hawaiʻi Island received an average of 17 inches of rainfall, with a four-day single-station maximum of 57 inches, making Hurricane Lane the wettest tropical cyclone ever recorded in Hawaiʻi. (hawaii.edu)
- Duke Escobar presents his research at the 2nd Annual SHARP Symposium, Aug.31, 2018, UH Hilo. (hawaii.edu)
- August 29 2018, Hilo Hawaii. (hawaii.edu)
- Tipsters who prefer to remain anonymous may call Crime Stoppers at 961-8300 in Hilo or 329-8181 in Kona and may be eligible for a reward of up to $1,000. (wordpress.com)
- At Kona Community Hospital, a part of the Hawaii Health Systems Corp., emergency room visits are down as well. (hawaiitribune-herald.com)
- With tours departing from Hilo and Kona, Tropical Helicopters provides both doors-on and doors-off flights over Kilauea, one of the world's most active volcanoes. (travelandleisure.com)
- The two-hour Hawaii Experience tour departs from Kona and covers the Kohala coast and the Waipio and Waimanu Valleys, in addition to the volcano and waterfall. (travelandleisure.com)
- Two international airports serve the Big Island of Hawai'i: Kona International Airport and Hilo International Airport. (nationalgeographic.com)
- Some airlines have direct flights to Kona from the continental U.S., but if you are island hopping, use the inter-island carriers, Hawaiian Airlines and Aloha Airlines. (nationalgeographic.com)
- In "Stoke," the tourist, Jane, goes from Kailua-Kona on the west side of Hawaii Island to the lava fields nearly 100 miles away. (latimes.com)
- Geological discussions emphasize island climatology and stream headward erosion at Akaka Falls, tsunamis at Laupahoehoe Peninsula, volcanic island deformation (prodigious faults) at Waipio Valley, and lava flow mapping and soil formation in the Waimea and North Kona Coast areas. (warriortours.com)
- ROUGHLY HALF OF HAWAII'S FARMS ARE ON the Big Island (which is officially named-though seldom referred to as-"Hawaii"), so with my boyfriend, Noah, I began my tour with a 45-minute flight from Honolulu to Kailua-Kona, the island's center of commerce on the western coast. (cnn.com)
- Kona coffee is the island's best-known crop, renowned for its $20- to $30-a-pound pricetag, but when I realized what else grows there-cacao, tropical fruit, tea-I planned a road trip that would expose us to the full range of small farms on the Big Island. (cnn.com)
- Both 50, they decided to buy a home overlooking the Kona coast and find work in Hawaii. (cnn.com)
- The international airports in Hilo and Kona are open, officials said. (clickondetroit.com)
- From hot stone massages by the ocean in Kona , to homemade facial masks in Hilo , the Big Island has a generous offering of spa for relaxation and rejuvenation while exploring the island. (10best.com)
- Direct service from the mainland is also available for smaller airports in Kahului on Maui, Kona on the Big Island and Lihue on Kauai . (travelpulse.com)
- This project will complete a continuous mid-level route between the urban centers of Kailua-Kona and Kona Palisades, and will serve the new Hawai'i Community College-Palamanui campus in West Hawai'i. (hawaiireporter.com)
- 4 Travel Telemetry Registered Nurse (RN) Honolulu, HI, USA Supplemental Health Care is a nationally recognized healthcare staffing provider partnering with a Hospital in Honolulu, HI to provide a Traveling Telemetry Registered Nurse. (healthcarehiring.com)
- 6 Registered Nurse - Post-Anesthesia Travel Nurse Assignment in Honolulu, Hawaii Honolulu, HI, USA Post anesthetic care unit nurses are a welcome side for patients emerging from the haze of anesthesia. (healthcarehiring.com)
- 8 Travel PICU RN Honolulu, HI, USA Supplemental Health Care has partnered with a hospital in Honolulu, Hawaii in order to find a PICU RN that is currently looking for a 12 week travel assignment! (healthcarehiring.com)
- 12 Travel RN - Registered Nurse: NICU Honolulu, HI, USA What makes Go Healthcare Staffing Different? (healthcarehiring.com)
- 14 Director of Home Health Administrator Travel RN Honolulu, HI, USA Director Home Health Administrator Job Overview MedWave Healthcare Staffing is currently seeking a traveling Director of Home Health Administrator for a position in Honolulu, HI. (healthcarehiring.com)
- Honolulu, HI, USA: Discover Hawaii Tours. (wikipedia.org)
- HONOLULU - The State Auditor details confusion and discord in the Department of Health during the 2015 Big Island dengue fever outbreak, as well as other outbreaks. (bigislandvideonews.com)
- The Honolulu Marathon is only two days away and a lot of people are taking care of last minute preparations at the Hawaii Convention Center. (khon2.com)
- HONOLULU - Hawaii emerged Saturday from the threat of a potentially devastating hurricane after historic amounts of rain forced evacuations on some islands but damage appeared less than feared. (thegardenisland.com)
- 1. Honolulu is the capital city of Hawaii, but the U.S. Census Bureau 'does not show data separately for the city of Honolulu, which is coextensive with Honolulu County,' because of an agreement with the state. (newsmax.com)
- Honolulu County, on the island of Oahu, is home to 70 percent - 953,207 - of the Aloha State's population. (newsmax.com)
- All international flights and the majority of those coming from the mainland U.S. arrive at Honolulu International Airport (HNL) on the island of Oahu. (travelpulse.com)
- Hawaii Island County Mayor Billy Kenoi testified at the Legislature in Honolulu today before the Senate Ways & Means and House Finance committees. (hawaiireporter.com)
- Experience Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island of Hawaii, and cap off your learning adventure on Maui exploring a working pineapple farm and snorkeling its pristine waters. (roadscholar.org)
- A Small Craft Advisory (SCA) is in effect to until Thursday morning for waters around Maui County and waters south of the Big Island. (hawaiiweathertoday.com)
- Like the Big Island, Maui experienced flooding and landslides. (thegardenisland.com)
- As flooding hit the Big Island, winds fanned brush fires that had broken out in dry areas of Maui and Oahu. (thegardenisland.com)
- Check out the film festival's schedule , which Includes movies and related events Nov. 8-18 on Oahu, Nov. 15-18 on Kauai, and Nov. 29-Dec. 2 on Hawaii and Maui. (latimes.com)
- Then the high chief of Hilo accepted Kamehameha as his king and sent his sons to aid Kamehameha in conquering the island Maui. (sacred-texts.com)
- Meanwhile, after a sea fight in which he defeated the chiefs of the islands Maui and Oahu, he set his people to building a great temple chiefly for his war-god Ka-ili. (sacred-texts.com)
- Maui , the second-largest of the islands, has several resort areas on the western side including Lahaina, Kaanapali and Kapalua. (travelpulse.com)
- All state and county park facilities including lava viewing, and some camping and remote areas of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park will also be closed Wednesday. (khon2.com)
- Small-Group Big Island in A Day: Volcanoes. (tripadvisor.com.au)
- Join locals to explore Hawaii with an insider's perspective, learning about unique island ecosystems, exploring Volcanoes National Park and snorkeling colorful reefs in Lanai! (roadscholar.org)
- Visit Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, home of the active Kilauea volcano! (roadscholar.org)
- Located on the Big Island, this Hilo hotel is 30 miles from Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. (maplandia.com)
- From volcanoes to waterfalls, the Hilo Seaside Hotel provides adventure in paradise. (maplandia.com)
- Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park (HAVO) encompasses 1,308 km2 on Hawai'i Island. (usgs.gov)
- A spatter cone on Kilauea's Pu'u 'O'o crater spits fountains of fire at Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park. (nationalgeographic.com)
- Some people think of Hawai'i as a land of white, sandy beaches and lush forest, but each year more than one million people trade in their swimsuits for hiking boots to hotfoot around Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park. (nationalgeographic.com)
- Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park has two free campgrounds (Kulanaokuaiki and Namakanipaio) available on a first-come, first-served basis. (nationalgeographic.com)
- Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park stays open 24 hours a day, year-round. (nationalgeographic.com)
- The VERY easy access to Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park is what caused us to choose this cottage. (tripadvisor.co.uk)
- It's a common misconception that the geology of the Hawaiian Islands, especially the "Big Island" of Hawaii, is only about volcanoes. (teok.com)
- All day field trip to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. (warriortours.com)
- A lunch time lecture by Don Swanson, Scientist-in-Charge of the U.S. Geological Survey Hawaii Volcanoes Observatory will cover the Character and Origin of Hawaii Island Volcanoes. (warriortours.com)
- The Hawaii Volcanoes National Park would be an essential day out for anyone on holiday at self-catering accommodation in Hilo. (homeaway.co.uk)
- Hilo is also considered to be the gateway to the Hawaii National Volcanoes Park, a busy tourist attraction. (newsmax.com)
- Nestled in the rainforest near Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Hale Ho'ola utilizes Hawaiian healing techniques. (10best.com)
- The Big Island of Hawaii is the largest of the islands and is home to the most active volcano in the world, located in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. (travelpulse.com)
- In addition to luxury resorts, championship golf courses and endless shopping opportunities, stunning views can be seen from the summit of Haleakala National Park or by taking a helicopter ride over the volcanoes, jungles and beaches of the island. (travelpulse.com)
- Lava flows across Chain of Craters Road in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on May 5, 1973. (earthmagazine.org)
- In November 1790, Kilauea, the most accessible of the five volcanoes that comprise Hawaii's Big Island, erupted violently. (earthmagazine.org)
- For the past several years I have helped many clients buy or sell homes and land in Hilo, Hamakua, Puna on the Big Island of Hawaii. (realtor.com)
- Big Island Police have charged a 43-year-old Puna man in connection with a fatal shooting. (khon2.com)
- Puna Geothermal Venture's $150,000 donation to Hawaii County aimed at helping Puna residents affected by the Kilauea eruption was unrelated to its request to build an emergency access road over the lava flow, says its Hawaii representative. (hawaii.edu)
- Aerial view of Puna Geothermal Ventures which was encroached upon by lava from the recent three month eruption in Leilani Estates on Hawaii Island. (hawaii.edu)
- Hilo Democrat Rep. Mark Nakashima and Puna Democrat Rep. Joy San Buenaventura co-signed the measure. (westhawaiitoday.com)
- In this article, we report on the extremely high initial rate of farmer adoption of Rainbow papaya, based on our survey of essentially all of the registered commercial papaya farmers in the Puna area of Hawaii, the Big Island, where up to 96% of the state's crop (fresh and processed) was grown. (apsnet.org)
- Tropic Fish Hawaii LLC initiated a product recall because the affected product had been distributed to its customers in Oahu, Hawaii (U.S. mainland and other Hawaiian Islands were not affected by the recall). (damontucker.com)
- On this three-island adventure that begins on Oahu, journey along the breathtaking East Coast to marvel in the iconic natural beauty of Diamond Head and Hanauma Bay. (roadscholar.org)
- Hilo is located on Hawaii Island, also known as "The Big Island," and the only city listed here not on Oahu. (newsmax.com)
Agricultural Research Center1
- Recognizing this need, Congress directed the establishment of a research project in cooperation with the Hawaii Agricultural Research Center. (usda.gov)
- According to Brinkman, combined revenue for the East Hawaii Region, which also includes the hospitals in Ka'u and Honokaa, is around $260 million. (hawaiitribune-herald.com)
- A little way up the coast from Hilo self-catering accommodation is the city of Honokaa , which is considered the gateway to the north of the island and its Hamakua Coast , noted for its tropical rainforest. (homeaway.co.uk)
- A thousand yards of gray-black sand that narrows considerably as it runs west from the Wailoa River toward downtown, at one time Hilo Bayfront Park (along Kamehameha Ave.) went all the way to the Wailuku River and was renowned throughout the islands for its beauty, but commercialism of the waterfront ruined it. (moon.com)
- The area just inland from the bay is the Hilo district, divided into north and south Hilo within the County of Hawaii.Banyan Drive runs through Liliʻuokalani Gardens near downtown Hilo at the edge of the bay. (wikipedia.org)
- If a beach, to you, can be a smaller, more intimate affair where a good number of tourists and families can spend the day on pockets of sand between fingers of black lava, then Hilo has a few. (moon.com)
- The eruption site and the lava flows are in a very small portion of the island. (clickondetroit.com)
- Hawaiian spa treatments are unique from others since they utilize local ingredients, tropical scents, and even Big Island lava rocks. (10best.com)
- Abundant across the archipelago, 'ôhi'a are the only native tree in Hawaii that colonizes lava flows, and they provide habitat for several rare species of native birds and insects. (ippc.int)
- Today, it's renowned for lobes of slow-moving, calm lava, which ooze out of cracks in the flanks of the volcano, pour downslope and eventually flow into the sea, where the lava cools and gradually enlarges the island. (earthmagazine.org)
- (BIVN) - A new report is criticizing state health officials for their response to disease outbreaks in Hawai'i. (bigislandvideonews.com)
- Hawaii's Mountains - Here's a link to the live webcam on the summit of our tallest mountain Mauna Kea (nearly 13,800 feet high) on the Big Island of Hawaii. (hawaiiweathertoday.com)
- Try telling that to Scott Murray, who has lived in Hilo, on Hawaii's Big island, for more than 60 years. (cnn.com)
- The Hawai'i Seed Growers Network is a statewide group of artisanal farmers that have worked together for the past 5 years to grow, develop, and bring high quality, locally grown and adapted seed to Hawaii's gardeners and market farmers. (hawaiiorganic.org)
- Hilo is a town on the east coast of Hawaii's Big Island, in the county of the same name. (homeaway.co.uk)
- An eruption from the Kilauea volcano's summit shot ash and smoke into the air early Thursday on Hawaii's Big Island, and the resulting plume is expected to cover the surrounding area, according to the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory. (clickondetroit.com)
- Rain kept the ash from going very far, and the ashfall was light, but officials still warned people in the area on Hawaii's Big Island to stay indoors and to use the masks. (clickondetroit.com)
- Pearl City sits 95 feet above sea level and sits in the shadows of some of Hawaii's most towering mountains, according to the unofficial Hawaii State Info . (newsmax.com)
- But the city with the second worst air quality is not in California, but thousands of miles into the Pacific, where volcanic eruptions from Madame Pele have been bathing Hawaii's Big Island in sulfur dioxide for years. (sltrib.com)
- An ecological disaster is unfolding on Hawaii's largest island. (ippc.int)
- Nippon Maru at Hilo Harbor. (damontucker.com)
- By Marcie Grabowski Once a preferred swimming pool of Hawaiian aliʻi, the Kalauao Spring on the island of Oʻahu continues to supply millions of gallons of clean, fresh water to the Pearl Harbor region. (hawaii.edu)
- It had originally been in storage but was now sitting outside at Channel Islands Harbor covered with a tarp. (hotrod.com)
- With the possibility of a one-two punch - with Hurricane Lester close behind - Hawaii Island's interim civil defense administrator Ed Teixeira said they've started contacting various county and other agencies to be one step ahead of the storms. (khon2.com)
- Hurricane Lane barreled toward Hawaii on Friday, dumping torrential rains that inundated the Big Island's main city as people elsewhere stocked up on supplies and piled sandbags to shield oceanfront businesses against the increasingly violent surf. (thegardenisland.com)
- By the late 20th century, however, harbour improvements, including piers and shipping terminals, had made Kawaihae the island's second port, after Hilo . (britannica.com)
- 1 Labor & Delivery Nurse - Travel - Travel (LD RN) - Kealakekua Kealakekua, HI, USA Job Benefits At American Mobile Healthcare we take care of our travelers! (healthcarehiring.com)
- The plot taps into the experience many travelers feel on a first visit to Hawaii when they encounter nature at its most extreme. (latimes.com)
- Although the Big Island is home to raw beauty and outdoor adventures, it's also home to a number of luxurious spas for travelers to get pampered at. (10best.com)
- From each of these airports, travelers can connect to an inter-island flight using Hawaiian Airlines, MarJet Hawaii, Mokulele Airlines, Island Air, Pacific Wings and the discount carrier, Go! (travelpulse.com)
- View headward erosion at Akaka Falls and discuss the interaction of the volcanic mountain-island with its surrounding atmosphere (climate), hydrosphere (ocean) and biosphere (plants). (teok.com)
- I am a long time resident on the Big Island, and a graduate of the University of Hawaii. (realtor.com)
- 155.0816 The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Botanical Gardens are botanical gardens on the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo campus, located at 200 West Kawili Street, Hilo, Hawaiʻi on the island of Hawaiʻi. (wikipedia.org)
- University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo. (wikipedia.org)
- University of Hawaii Press. (wikipedia.org)
- The state granted the University of Hawaii a conservation district use permit in 2011, pending the outcome of the first contested case held later that year. (bigislandvideonews.com)
- In December 2015, the Hawaii Supreme Court halted the project and vacated the permit, ruling that the state did not follow proper procedure in awarding the permit to the university. (bigislandvideonews.com)
- Three parties - The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo, TMT International Organization, and PUEO (Perpetuating Unique Educational Opportunities Inc) - are in favor of building the observatory on Mauna Kea. (bigislandvideonews.com)
- Twice as much freshwater is stored offshore of Hawaiʻi Island than was previously thought, according to a University of Hawaiʻi study with important implications for volcanic islands around the world. (hawaii.edu)
- Students and faculty in the 'Ike Wai Research Experience in Data Science Program at the University of Hawaii at Hilo had their work on coral health and disease published in the May 6 edition of Frontiers Marine Science. (hawaii.edu)
- Dr. Eric Attias is a research affiliate faculty with the University of Hawai'i at Mānoaʻs Hawai'i Institute of Geophysics and Planetology. (hawaii.edu)
- Six students at the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo participated in an innovative research program this summer developing artificial intelligence (AI) systems to better support scientists in fields such as psychology, ecology and marine science. (hawaii.edu)
- By Kayla Bisquera University of Hawai'i at Hilo Assistant Professor and Hawai'i EPSCoR 'Ike Wai project researcher John H. R. Burns is a recipient of the prestigious 2020 Frances Davis Annual Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching. (hawaii.edu)
- University of Hawaii at Hilo, 29 pp. (usgs.gov)
- Every student at the University of Hawai'i at Hilo is offered the opportunity to apply their textbook knowledge to the real world through research, internships, creative endeavors, student employment and more. (hawaii.edu)
- University of Hawaii at Hilo, 28 pp. (usgs.gov)
- University of Hawaii at Hilo, 52 pp. (usgs.gov)
- Michael Shintaku is a professor of plant pathology at the University of Hawai'i at Hilo who teaches plant pathology, plant disease diagnosis, plant biotechnology, genetic analysis, molecular methods in conservation biology, and applied microbiology. (hawaii.edu)
- A primer on Hurricane in Hawaii by the University of Hawaii says just as much: "Hurricanes are relatively rare events in the Hawaiian islands. (cnn.com)
- According to the only reports done on the topic, agritourism in Hawaii grew 48% from 2000 to 2003, and professor and extension economist Kent Fleming from the University of Hawaii at Manoa, who studies agritourism, says it has probably increased another 50% since. (cnn.com)
- Allow certain programs within the University of Hawaii to conduct marijuana-related testing and research. (westhawaiitoday.com)
- This secluded 5-star resort in Hakalau (Hawaii) is located directly opposite the Uma Uma Falls. (maplandia.com)
- Work off some of that stress, stay at a comfy Big Island resort, lounge in the pool, have a drink at the tiki bar. (hawaiitribune-herald.com)
- The Hawaii Tourism Authority blamed a 14% drop in visitor arrivals and spending in September on misperceptions about the distance of resort areas of the island from the volcano. (latimes.com)
- Kawaihae , deepwater port lying along Kawaihae Bay, on the northwestern coast of Hawaii island, Hawaii , U.S. It marks the northernmost point of a 40-mile (65-km) stretch known as the "Gold Coast," a resort-beach development area that follows the Queen Kaahumanu Highway around Anaehoomalu and Kiholo bays. (britannica.com)
- Rats have significant agricultural, natural resource, and human health impacts in the Hawaiian Islands. (usda.gov)
- His interest in Hawaiian culture and his desire to show his students an "insider's" view of the Islands have made him a perfect match for Road Scholar's Hawaii programs. (roadscholar.org)
- An on-the-ground guide to the Hawaiian Islands -- handsome, comprehensive and superb. (roadscholar.org)
- Hurricane Lane was an impactful event for the Hawaiian Islands. (hawaii.edu)
- Located in downtown Hilo, Hana Hou offers vintage and modern Hawaiian and Oceania handcrafted art and accessories. (travelandleisure.com)
- Throughout the main Hawaiian Islands, introduced mosquito-borne disease has had, and continues to have, a profound impact on the distributions and abundance of native Hawaiian forest birds. (usgs.gov)
- We examine altitudinal movements involving unusual use of caves by Hawaiian hoary bats, Lasiurus cinereus semotus, during winter and spring in the Mauna Loa Forest Reserve (MLFR), Hawai'i Island. (usgs.gov)
- Shintaku has identified a large number of single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in these plants, and says the research team will use these SNPs for two things: "To augment our breeding program by allowing early selection for resistance, and as DNA markers to identify all taro varieties, including the Hawaiian collection as well as varieties from Asia, Guam, New Guinea and Palau that are now grown in various collections in Hawai'i. (hawaii.edu)
- A 2002 report by the U.S. Geological Survey states that "actual hurricane strikes on the Hawaiian Islands are relatively rare in the modern record. (cnn.com)
- The morning begins with presentations on the Geologic Origin of the Hawaiian Volcanic Mountain-Island Chain (Chuck Blay, seminar leader) and Tsunamis in Hawaii (Walter Dudley, Chairman, Dept. Marine Science, UH-Hilo). (warriortours.com)
- we can look at Green Island, an uninhabited sand mound a thousand miles up the Hawaiian chain along the Midway Atoll, and we see a half degree dew point (a measure of humidity) increase in 2019 over 2015 a likely reflection of the warmer ocean temperatures to the east. (nydailynews.com)
- Here, we use stable carbon and nitrogen isotopes to study the foraging history of a generalist, oceanic predator, the Hawaiian petrel ( Pterodroma sandwichensis ), which ranges broadly in the Pacific from the equator to near the Aleutian Islands. (pnas.org)
- The Hawaiian Islands have relatively high levels of naturally-occurring arsenic in the volcanic soils (5-20 mg/kg). (cdc.gov)
- Of all cities on this list, Hilo has the largest concentration of people of only 'native Hawaiian and other Pacific islander' heritage at 14.3 percent of its total citizenry. (newsmax.com)
- One of the most festive experiences to be had on a visit to the Hawaiian Islands is a luau - a Hawaiian feast featuring lively music and vibrant cultural performances from Hawaii and greater Polynesia. (gohawaii.com)
- The heart and soul of dining at the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel is the revered WSW Steakhouse & Seafood Restaurant. (gohawaii.com)
- With a volcano-goddess attitude and miles of rugged off-the-grid landscapes, the Big Island is real Hawaii in the raw. (orbitz.com)
- Located on the Big Island of Hawai'i, the 323,000-acre (134,760-hectare) park houses Earth's most active volcano, Kilauea. (nationalgeographic.com)
- The Kilauea Volcano on Hawaii Island plays a starring role in the movie "Stoke," which visitors and locals can see when it debuts at the Hawaii International Film Festival on Nov. 10. (latimes.com)
- Thursday's eruption is just the latest volcanic activity contributing to the nightmare on the Big Island since the volcano first went off on May 3. (clickondetroit.com)
- Keoua heard of the attack on his home, therefore he gave the fish-ponds and fertile lands of Hilo to some of his chiefs and hastened to cross the island with his army by way of a path near the volcano Kilauea. (sacred-texts.com)
- Please call BIG ISLAND HEARING CENTER, LLC at (808) 935-1299 to schedule an appointment in HILO, HI or get more information. (wellness.com)
- After the February 27, 2010 Chile earthquake, the effectiveness of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center (PTWC) was shown, as no one was injured on Hilo Bay after the (PTWC) sirens sounded and evacuations were ordered. (wikipedia.org)
- On the forecast track, the center of Madeline will pass dangerously close to the island Wednesday and Wednesday night. (khon2.com)
- The county's emergency operations center will be working around the clock tracking the storm and conditions around the island, he said. (khon2.com)
- Dan Brinkman, East Hawaii Regional CEO, Hawaii Health Systems Corp., said Hilo Medical Center averaged between 4,000 and 4,200 visits a month prior to the COVID-19 pandemic and stay-at-home orders issued by Gov. David Ige. (hawaiitribune-herald.com)
- As of Tuesday, Iselle was a Category 3 hurricane but was expected to weaken as it neared Hawaii, according to the National Hurricane Center. (cnn.com)
- Click your island to find the address of a USDA Service Center and other Agency offices serving your area along with information on how to contact them. (hawaiiorganic.org)
- On May 23, 1960, a tsunami originating from the 1960 Valdivia earthquake in Chile (the most powerful earthquake ever recorded) killed 61 people in Hilo. (wikipedia.org)
- The outbreak exploded in 2014, in dense 'ôhi'a groves in Hilo Forest Reserve on Big Island, and has worsened ever since. (ippc.int)
- Hawaii County Civil Defense says you should finish your storm preparations by Tuesday night, because hurricane-force winds will likely pick up Wednesday and Thursday. (khon2.com)
- At Hawaii County Civil Defense headquarters, officials are urging residents to take the hurricane warning seriously. (khon2.com)
- According to the Division chief and the County of Hawai'i Civil Defense Director, they had differing perspectives on whether GIS maps based on patients' addresses should be shared with the County, and once disclosed, how such information could and should be used to respond to the outbreak and protect the public health and safety. (bigislandvideonews.com)
- We've had several tropical systems since June 1," said Darryl Oliver of the Hawaii County Civil Defense. (cnn.com)
- Authorities rescued 39 people from floodwaters Friday and Saturday, all in the eastern part of the Big Island where the rain concentrated, Hawaii County Civil Defense spokeswoman Kelly Wooten said. (thegardenisland.com)
- This event is far from over," said Talmadge Magno, civil defense administrator for Hawaii County. (clickondetroit.com)
- The bay's topography steers tsunamis to Hilo from earthquakes in active areas such as Chile and the Aleutian Islands. (wikipedia.org)
- Bellatti told the Hawaii Tribune-Herald her bill aims to clarify law in a way that "brings the industry into the light" and "enhance patient access. (westhawaiitoday.com)
- After several visits to Hawaii and staying in the commercial resorts, we wanted to experience true aloha and see what life was like vacationing in coffee country. (flipkey.com)
- 5 Biggest Cities in Hawaii: Do You Know The Aloha State? (newsmax.com)
- Hawaii has eight major islands, and the Aloha State as a whole is home to nearly 1.4 million people. (newsmax.com)
- Made with Aloha in Hawaii exclusively for Hilo Hattie. (hilohattie.com)
- This Aloha Shirt is perfect for that casual Island lifestyle. (hilohattie.com)
- HILO, Hawaii - Minutes before the start of the Thirty Meter Telescope contested case hearing, participants gathered outside the Crown Room of Hilo's Grand Naniloa Hotel for a customary prayer circle. (bigislandvideonews.com)
- Tours departing from Hilo include a 35-minute flight to and around Kilauea, and a 45-minute flight that also includes a trip to Hilo's 80-foot Rainbow Falls. (travelandleisure.com)
- DAVE BRIGGS, CNN ANCHOR: Hurricane Lane battering parts of Hawaii with strong winds and rain. (cnn.com)
- Tropical Storm Lane, once known as Hurricane Lane, began to break apart as it veered west into the open Pacific, leaving behind sighs of relief and plenty of cleanup, especially on the Big Island where rainfall totals approached 4 feet (1.2 meters). (thegardenisland.com)
- The Hawaii Army National Guard provided key leadership from the Hawaii County, FEMA, USGS, and the Hawaii National Guard with an aerial survey of areas of the island effected by the recent eruption and hurricane Lane. (hawaii.edu)
- Hakalau is located in Hawaii County, Hawaii, United States. (maplandia.com)
- Offering views of the North Pacific Ocean, this Hakalau, Hawaii vacation villa features a full kitchen and a furnished patio. (maplandia.com)
- The Hakalau Forest Unit (HFU) of Big Island National Wildlife Refuge Complex (BINWRC) has intensively monitored non-native ungulate presence and distribution during surveys of all managed areas since 1988. (usgs.gov)
- Technically part of Hilo Bay, Reeds Bay Beach Park (at the end of Banyan Dr.) is a largely undeveloped area on the east side of the Waiakea Peninsula. (moon.com)
- The state plans to open the Puu Oo area of the Hilo Restricted Watershed to hunters over the next several months to help them control feral cattle. (staradvertiser.com)
- Knemidokoptic mange was first observed on two Hawai'i 'Amakihi (Hemignathus virens) mist netted in Manuka Natural Area Reserve (NAR) on the Island of Hawai'i in June 2007. (usgs.gov)
- High pressure will pass north of the area through Thursday, keeping the islands in a typical trade wind weather pattern. (hawaiiweathertoday.com)
- The coastal area of Hilo, Hawaii are dotted with estuarine ponds with varying degrees of influence by input of terrigenous water by run-off and ground water. (jyi.org)
- However, this year, compared to 2015, a much broader area of above-average sea surface temperatures exists for thousands of miles east and northeast of Hawaii, from which direction the trade winds blow in. (nydailynews.com)
- Hawaii County officials have warned residents about sulfur dioxide, which is so thick in one area that authorities evacuated a neighborhood. (clickondetroit.com)
- Realtors and property managers around the Hilo area would tell me good luck on finding a kitchen along with the ten other people they talked to that week. (kiva.org)
- We are currently providing space for four separate businesses with room to grow in the Hilo, HI area. (kiva.org)
- Among them are Hilo Realtor Hank Correa, former banana farmer Richard Ha and Pahoa school teacher Denim Cretton. (westhawaiitoday.com)
- Many Hawaii residents spread the news of the coming storms via social media, but not all were worried about what they could bring. (cnn.com)
- The current recall resulted from follow-up after the Hawaii Department of Health notified the FDA of a frozen tuna sample, sourced from PT Deho Canning Co.,which tested positive for hepatitis A on May 1, 2017 . (damontucker.com)
- On May 1, the Hawaii Department of Health notified the FDA that a sample of frozen tuna cubes from Indonesia tested positive for the hepatitis A virus. (damontucker.com)
- Hawaii Police Department reports that Highway 19 is open to travel in both directions at the 49 Mile Marker. (wordpress.com)
- The report, Audit of the Disease Outbreak Control Division of the Department of Health , focused on the dengue fever outbreak on Hawai'i Island that occurred in 2015, as well as outbreaks of hepatitis-A involving frozen scallops on O'ahu and Kaua'i, and salmonella-infected ogo on O'ahu. (bigislandvideonews.com)
- The reusable face shields are being produced at the UH Hilo Department of Computer Science through a 3D printing project headed by Francis Cristobal, a faculty specialist. (hawaii.edu)
- The program is funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement (RISE) and is administered through the UH Hilo Department of Anthropology. (hawaii.edu)
- The purpose of our study is to determine if the ponds act as a buffer zone for the adjacent coral formations and to generate a baseline data set of the water quality of these ponds and compare the bacterial concentrations to the Hawaii Department of Health (HDOH) and national Environmental Protection Agency standards. (jyi.org)
- Hawai'i Department of Health and its representative are required to maintain confidentiality on all patient's information or record ( Statute 325-101 ). (hawaii.gov)
- The Hawaii Department of Health tested soil from the community gardens and found arsenic with an average soil concentration of 331 mg/kg. (cdc.gov)
- I started selling these at farmers markets around the Island of Hawaii and eventually was approved by the department of health to wholesale my products to grocery stores and to restaurants. (kiva.org)
- We have large varieties of fruit at the Hilo Farmers Market. (hilofarmersmarket.com)
- Hawaii Farmers Union United is the newest subdivision of the National Farmers Union , established 1902. (hawaiiorganic.org)
- Hawaii Farmers Union advances the rights of farmers to create vibrant and prosperous agricultural communities for the benefit of all through cooperation, legislation and education. (hawaiiorganic.org)
- HAWAII FARMERS UNION VISION STATEMENT Hawai'i Farmers Union serves as a resource and catalyst for the organization and empowerment of farmers. (hawaiiorganic.org)
- Hawai'i Farmers Union values the spirit of cooperation, education, and the development of cooperatives. (hawaiiorganic.org)
- Hawai'i Farmers Union honors the past and supports indigenous rights and cultural traditions in agriculture. (hawaiiorganic.org)
- Hawai'i Farmers Union provides a model of prosperity and abundance while recognizing our innate connection to all things. (hawaiiorganic.org)
- July 2004: Papaya vendors routinely sell Rainbow and other papaya varieties at farmers markets, small grocery stores and supermarkets in Hawaii. (apsnet.org)
- Seen here, a showcase at the popular Hilo bay farmers market on the island of Hawaii. (apsnet.org)
- Afternoon road trip along the Hamakua coast, northeastern Big Island. (teok.com)
- The gardens were established by UH-Hilo professor Don Hemmes at some time in the 1980s, after a student said that they had never seen a pine tree before. (wikipedia.org)
- County of Hawai'i awards this Certificate of Commemoration to welcome the visit of the Nippon Maru to the Port of Hilo. (damontucker.com)
- Harry Kim, Mayor County of Hawai'i. (damontucker.com)
- Hawaii County officials are preparing for the worst as Hurricane Madeline approaches. (khon2.com)
- That's when we can allocate our personnel, our resources to people who need it the most," said Hawaii County Mayor Billy Kenoi. (khon2.com)
- The DOH director stated that the County of Hawai'i needed to know the information but needed to be careful when providing patient-related information to the public. (bigislandvideonews.com)
- DOH subsequently provided information to the County of Hawai'i related to the County's responsibilities in handling confidential patient health information. (bigislandvideonews.com)
- DOH acknowledged that they should have required the County of Hawai'i to execute an agreement stating that it was aware of and responsible for following Federal and State laws when communicating certain individual health information to the public. (bigislandvideonews.com)
- Thank you for this opportunity to appear before you to outline our priorities on issues important to the County of Hawai'i in 2013. (hawaiireporter.com)
- The April 1, 1946, tsunami from the 1946 Aleutian Islands earthquake killed 96 people on Hilo Bay. (wikipedia.org)
- Mahalo to the people of Hawaii for the opportunity to serve for the past 5 decades. (wordpress.com)
- At the KTA Super Stores in Hilo, people were stocking up on supplies, and stores will open at 4:30 a.m. Wednesday so residents can be sufficiently prepared. (khon2.com)
- I would like to share with you three of our student research programs and a few extraordinary students doing important research and inquiry of great benefit to the people of our state and the island environment. (hawaii.edu)
- I think a lot of people have taken that very serious, as we can see with the low COVID rates on our island, and I think our community has done a really good job following those directives. (hawaiitribune-herald.com)
- People are not really nervous, but honestly just hoping for some good surf," said Murray, who owns the Hilo Surfboard Company. (cnn.com)
- Share the unique beauty of the people, ecosystems, and water of your island at this yearʻs International Tropical Islands Water Conference. (hawaii.edu)
- Get creative and introduce us to the people, places, and waters that make your island special. (hawaii.edu)
- Mayor Harry Kim wrote a letter to Mike Kaleikini, senior director of Hawaii affairs for Ormat Technologies, PGV's parent company, on Nov. 26 thanking the company for the donation to "help people affected by the Lower East Rift Zone eruption. (hawaii.edu)
- It is a dream come true for scientists who wished to provide a virus-resistant papaya cultivar for the people of Hawaii. (apsnet.org)
- Hawaii captures not only the vast natural beauty of the state, but also the indelible warmth and spirit of the people who call it home. (travelpulse.com)
- Developing a website and print marketing material will help potential users to navigate the different possibilities that HIlo Food Hub offers and reach a wider range of people. (kiva.org)
- This loan will directly impact the number of people I will be able to reach and serve throughout the Island of Hawaii. (kiva.org)
- We all miss the senator's leadership, his friendship and his powerful, compassionate voice advocating for Hawai'i's people on the national stage. (hawaiireporter.com)
- The senator spent his life bringing people together to work for a simple, common purpose, which was to improve the lives of Hawai'i's people. (hawaiireporter.com)
- He also specializes in researching diseases of taro, ginger, and lettuce, all crops of relevance to the Hawai'i Island agricultural community. (hawaii.edu)
- Shintaku's recent work is with taro, ginger, and lettuce, all major crops of the Hawai'i Island agricultural community. (hawaii.edu)
- Shintaku also is studying bacterial wilt of ginger caused by Ralstonia solanacearum , the most important disease affecting ginger cultivation in Hawai'i. (hawaii.edu)
- Ginger has been extensively grown in the Hamakua district of Hawai'i Island, so much of the soil there is infested with this pathogen, he says. (hawaii.edu)
- There are halfway houses in Hawaii that can provide you with this type of system. (tapartnership.org)
- Spending time in a halfway house in Hawaii can hold you accountable, provide you with the support system that you need, as well as reduce your risk of suffering a relapse back to your old drug and alcohol abusing habits once you have received treatment for your addiction. (tapartnership.org)
- 15 Operating Room RN Wailuku, HI, USA Judge Healthcare is actively seeking full time Outpatient OR Registered Nurse for Maui's premier health systems! (healthcarehiring.com)
- Enjoying a peaceful location in Hilo Bay, offering stunning views of Mauna Kea peak, the hotel is a few kilometers from the city of Hilo and offers spacious and modern. (maplandia.com)
- About 200 miles (320 kilometers) and several islands to the northwest, tourists wandered Waikiki Beach and took leisurely swims as shopkeepers prepared to reopen. (thegardenisland.com)
- The crew of the ship will be doing a beach cleanup tomorrow along Hilo Bay beginning at 10 a.m. and the public is welcome to come out and assist. (damontucker.com)
- From Hilo International Airport, drive southwest on Highway 11 for about 30 minutes. (nationalgeographic.com)
- The morning presentation, Overview of High Energy Coastal Environments (The Zone of Interaction) on a Mid-Ocean Volcanic Island (Chuck Blay, seminar leader) is followed by a drive to the southernmost tip of the island and hike to examine coastal environments and Hawaiis famous Green Sand Beach at Makana Bay. (warriortours.com)
- With 19 distinct volcanic islands, Hawaii is an archipelago located over a geological hotspot in the Central Pacific. (travelpulse.com)