A plant genus of the family FABACEAE. The common name of "Bird-Of-Paradise" is also used for other plants such as Heliconia (HELICONIACEAE) and Strelitzia (STRELITZIACEAE) and some birds. The common name of "Cat's-Claw" is more often used with UNCARIA. The common name of "Pernambuco" also refers to a state in Brazil. Furanoditerpenoid lactones and caesalpin are produced by members of this genus.
A genus of snakes of the family VIPERIDAE. It is distributed in West Pakistan, most of India, Burma, Ceylon, Thailand, southeast China, Taiwan, and a few islands of Indonesia. It hisses loudly when disturbed and strikes with great force and speed. Very prolific, it gives birth to 20-60 young. This viper is the leading cause of snakebite in India and Burma. (Moore: Poisonous Snakes of the World, 1980, p127)
Malaria caused by PLASMODIUM FALCIPARUM. This is the severest form of malaria and is associated with the highest levels of parasites in the blood. This disease is characterized by irregularly recurring febrile paroxysms that in extreme cases occur with acute cerebral, renal, or gastrointestinal manifestations.
A republic of southeast Asia, northwest of Thailand, long familiar as Burma. Its capital is Yangon, formerly Rangoon. Inhabited by people of Mongolian stock and probably of Tibetan origin, by the 3d century A.D. it was settled by Hindus. The modern Burmese state was founded in the 18th century but was in conflict with the British during the 19th century. Made a crown colony of Great Britain in 1937, it was granted independence in 1947. In 1989 it became Myanmar. The name comes from myanma, meaning the strong, as applied to the Burmese people themselves. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p192 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p367)
The constant presence of diseases or infectious agents within a given geographic area or population group. It may also refer to the usual prevalence of a given disease with such area or group. It includes holoendemic and hyperendemic diseases. A holoendemic disease is one for which a high prevalent level of infection begins early in life and affects most of the child population, leading to a state of equilibrium such that the adult population shows evidence of the disease much less commonly than do children (malaria in many communities is a holoendemic disease). A hyperendemic disease is one that is constantly present at a high incidence and/or prevalence rate and affects all groups equally. (Last, A Dictionary of Epidemiology, 3d ed, p53, 78, 80)
Emigration and Immigration
A protozoan disease caused in humans by four species of the PLASMODIUM genus: PLASMODIUM FALCIPARUM; PLASMODIUM VIVAX; PLASMODIUM OVALE; and PLASMODIUM MALARIAE; and transmitted by the bite of an infected female mosquito of the genus ANOPHELES. Malaria is endemic in parts of Asia, Africa, Central and South America, Oceania, and certain Caribbean islands. It is characterized by extreme exhaustion associated with paroxysms of high FEVER; SWEATING; shaking CHILLS; and ANEMIA. Malaria in ANIMALS is caused by other species of plasmodia.
The largest of the continents. It was known to the Romans more specifically as what we know today as Asia Minor. The name comes from at least two possible sources: from the Assyrian asu (to rise) or from the Sanskrit usa (dawn), both with reference to its being the land of the rising sun, i.e., eastern as opposed to Europe, to the west. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p82 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p34)
Diminished or failed response of an organism, disease or tissue to the intended effectiveness of a chemical or drug. It should be differentiated from DRUG TOLERANCE which is the progressive diminution of the susceptibility of a human or animal to the effects of a drug, as a result of continued administration.
Health Care Reform
Innovation and improvement of the health care system by reappraisal, amendment of services, and removal of faults and abuses in providing and distributing health services to patients. It includes a re-alignment of health services and health insurance to maximum demographic elements (the unemployed, indigent, uninsured, elderly, inner cities, rural areas) with reference to coverage, hospitalization, pricing and cost containment, insurers' and employers' costs, pre-existing medical conditions, prescribed drugs, equipment, and services.
National Health Programs
Sequence Analysis, DNA
Government Publications as Topic
A rare congenital hypoplastic anemia that usually presents early in infancy. The disease is characterized by a moderate to severe macrocytic anemia, occasional neutropenia or thrombocytosis, a normocellular bone marrow with erythroid hypoplasia, and an increased risk of developing leukemia. (Curr Opin Hematol 2000 Mar;7(2):85-94)
Amino Acid Transport System A
Polymerase Chain Reaction
In vitro method for producing large amounts of specific DNA or RNA fragments of defined length and sequence from small amounts of short oligonucleotide flanking sequences (primers). The essential steps include thermal denaturation of the double-stranded target molecules, annealing of the primers to their complementary sequences, and extension of the annealed primers by enzymatic synthesis with DNA polymerase. The reaction is efficient, specific, and extremely sensitive. Uses for the reaction include disease diagnosis, detection of difficult-to-isolate pathogens, mutation analysis, genetic testing, DNA sequencing, and analyzing evolutionary relationships.
Health Care Sector
Delivery of Health Care
The interchange of goods or commodities, especially on a large scale, between different countries or between populations within the same country. It includes trade (the buying, selling, or exchanging of commodities, whether wholesale or retail) and business (the purchase and sale of goods to make a profit). (From Random House Unabridged Dictionary, 2d ed, p411, p2005 & p283)
Health Services Accessibility
Molecular Sequence Data
Descriptions of specific amino acid, carbohydrate, or nucleotide sequences which have appeared in the published literature and/or are deposited in and maintained by databanks such as GENBANK, European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), National Biomedical Research Foundation (NBRF), or other sequence repositories.
Health insurance coverage for all persons in a state or country, rather than for some subset of the population. It may extend to the unemployed as well as to the employed; to aliens as well as to citizens; for pre-existing conditions as well as for current illnesses; for mental as well as for physical conditions.
Health Care Rationing
Rural Health Services
Legislation as Topic
The containment, regulation, or restraint of costs. Costs are said to be contained when the value of resources committed to an activity is not considered excessive. This determination is frequently subjective and dependent upon the specific geographic area of the activity being measured. (From Dictionary of Health Services Management, 2d ed)
An antiviral antibiotic produced by Cephalosporium aphidicola and other fungi. It inhibits the growth of eukaryotic cells and certain animal viruses by selectively inhibiting the cellular replication of DNA polymerase II or the viral-induced DNA polymerases. The drug may be useful for controlling excessive cell proliferation in patients with cancer, psoriasis or other dermatitis with little or no adverse effect upon non-multiplying cells.
Health Services Research
The integration of epidemiologic, sociological, economic, and other analytic sciences in the study of health services. Health services research is usually concerned with relationships between need, demand, supply, use, and outcome of health services. The aim of the research is evaluation, particularly in terms of structure, process, output, and outcome. (From Last, Dictionary of Epidemiology, 2d ed)
Community Health Services
World Health Organization
Decision Making, Organizational
Health Care Costs
The actual costs of providing services related to the delivery of health care, including the costs of procedures, therapies, and medications. It is differentiated from HEALTH EXPENDITURES, which refers to the amount of money paid for the services, and from fees, which refers to the amount charged, regardless of cost.
Social Control Policies
Costs and Cost Analysis
The aggregate of various economic, political, and social policies by which an imperial power maintains or extends its control over other areas or peoples. It includes the practice of or belief in acquiring and retaining colonies. The emphasis is less on its identity as an ideological political system than on its designation in a period of history. (Webster, 3d ed; from Dr. J. Cassedy, NLM History of Medicine Division)
Public Health Practice
Advertising as Topic
An international organization whose members include most of the sovereign nations of the world with headquarters in New York City. The primary objectives of the organization are to maintain peace and security and to achieve international cooperation in solving international economic, social, cultural, or humanitarian problems.
Critical and exhaustive investigation or experimentation, having for its aim the discovery of new facts and their correct interpretation, the revision of accepted conclusions, theories, or laws in the light of newly discovered facts, or the practical application of such new or revised conclusions, theories, or laws. (Webster, 3d ed)
Facility Regulation and Control
Academies and Institutes
Interviews as Topic
Health Knowledge, Attitudes, Practice
Health Services Needs and Demand
Health Planning Councils
Guidelines as Topic
A systematic statement of policy rules or principles. Guidelines may be developed by government agencies at any level, institutions, professional societies, governing boards, or by convening expert panels. The text may be cursive or in outline form but is generally a comprehensive guide to problems and approaches in any field of activity. For guidelines in the field of health care and clinical medicine, PRACTICE GUIDELINES AS TOPIC is available.
Communicable Disease Control
Quality of Health Care
Health Plan Implementation
A parliamentary democracy with a constitutional monarch in southeast Asia, consisting of 11 states (West Malaysia) on the Malay Peninsula and two states (East Malaysia) on the island of BORNEO. It is also called the Federation of Malaysia. Its capital is Kuala Lumpur. Before 1963 it was the Union of Malaya. It reorganized in 1948 as the Federation of Malaya, becoming independent from British Malaya in 1957 and becoming Malaysia in 1963 as a federation of Malaya, Sabah, Sarawak, and Singapore (which seceded in 1965). The form Malay- probably derives from the Tamil malay, mountain, with reference to its geography. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p715 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p329)
Reproductive Health Services
Health Services Administration
"Myanmar , Factsheets". Youthpolicy.org. Retrieved 2015-11-20. "The National Civil (Code) Act, 20117 (2074)" (PDF). Government ... "National Records of Scotland". Nrscotland.gov.uk. Art. 144 of the Civil Code Levin, Eve. 1995. Sex and Society in the World of ... "LAW ON MARRIAGE AND FAMILY RELATIONS (corrected text)" (PDF). Mddsz.gov.si. Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 April 2018. ... "Chapter 261 : The Marriage Act : Antigua and Barbuda" (PDF). Laws.gov.ag. Retrieved 2015-11-20. "Ministerio de Economía y ...
Yangon International Airport
Aye Sapay Phyu (20 June 2011). "Government reveals plan to expand Yangon International Airport". Myanmar Times. Archived from ... "Myanmar Air Services Grow Rapidly Despite Safety Record". 22 October 2013. "A 2015 finish planned for first part of Yangon ... All ten Myanmar carriers and about 30 international airlines operate at Yangon International Airport. The airport is also ... "Myanmar Airways International adds Hangzhou service in 3Q19". Routesonline. Retrieved 11 July 2019. "Where we fly". neosair.it ...
Aung Ko (politician)
"Govt wants control over protests, says USDP rep". www.mmtimes.com. Retrieved 2016-03-22. Times, The Myanmar. "Government waters ... "The state of the Sangha". Frontier Myanmar. Retrieved 2016-03-22. Times, The Myanmar. "Daw Aung San Suu Kyi to join government ... "Brokers, govt officials collude to profit from land disputes". www.mmtimes.com. Retrieved 2016-03-22. Times, The Myanmar. " ... "Aung San Suu Kyi may take up multiple roles in new Myanmar government". The Straits Times. Retrieved 2016-03-22. Holmes, Oliver ...
Nyo Twan Awng
While working in Yangon as a surgeon, he had to avoid arrest by the Myanmar Police Force. He escaped to northern Myanmar and ... "Interview: 'The Government Army's Persecution Is Making us Stronger'". Radio Free Asia. 25 March 2019. "Far From Home, Arakan ... "Arakan Army". Myanmar Peace Monitor. "Arakan Army ဒုတိယစစ်ဦးစီးချုပ် ဗိုလ်မှူးချုပ် ဒေါက်တာ ညိုထွန်းအောင်နဲ့ RFA တွေ့ဆုံမေးမြန် ... Nyo Tun Aung was born Zaw Myo Thet on 4 March 1981 in Kyaukpyu, Rakhine State, Myanmar. During his teenage years, he attended ...
... and the English language The New Light of Myanmar - are published by the government. Semi-governmental The Myanmar Times weekly ... "High of 40C, low of 13C in Yangon for 2003". Government of Myanmar. Archived from the original on 27 September 2007. Retrieved ... Yangon is also home to annual the Myanmar Open golf tournament, and the Myanmar Open tennis tournament. The city hosted the ... "Ministry of Information (Myanmar)". "Mayangone residents oppose transit project". Myanmar Times. 14 January 2020. Retrieved 14 ...
Visa requirements for Czech citizens
Bahrain government website "PASSPORTS AND VISA , GoIsrael - the Official Website of Tourism to Israel". "Government Of Peru ... Notes Vientiane Savannakhet Khammuan Bokeo Panghok - Taichang (Vietnam) Samliemkham - (Thailand and Myanmar) Nonghaed - Nam ... Do I need a visa for the Caribbean parts of the Kingdom?, Government of the Netherlands. Bermuda entry visas, Government of ... Government of Anguilla, October 2016. Do I need a visa for the Caribbean parts of the Kingdom?, Government of the Netherlands. ...
Shwe Yinn Mar Oo (15 August 2011). "Journalists allowed to attend hluttaw sessions: government". Myanmar Times. Archived from ... Ne Win's military government was slated for occupation by Yangon Division government offices.) Between 1988 and 2011, there was ... "Myanmar coup: Week of Feb.1 to Feb. 21, EU action in focus as foreign ministers set to meet". Nikkei Asia. 1 February 2021. ... Government of Burma Act (1935), Part III: The Legislature. The Constitution of the Union of Burma (1947), Chapter VI: ...
Arakan League for Democracy
However, the ALD was banned by the military government on 6 March 1992. On 6 April 2012, the ALD was allowed to be re- ... Robert H Taylor (2009) The State in Myanmar, NUS Press Authorities threaten to abolish Arakanese party Archived 2 June 2013 at ... "Formation of Rakhine National Party approved , Ministry Of Information". Moi.gov.mm. Archived from the original on 15 April ... "Rakhine National Party allowed as political party , Ministry Of Information". Moi.gov.mm. 6 March 2014. Archived from the ...
Myanmar-English Dictionary. Myanmar Language Commission. 1993. ISBN 1-881265-47-1. Suan, Pau, Cope (2015). "Reflecting the ... Superintendent, Government printing, Burma. Scott, James George (1910). The Burman, his life and notions. London Macmillan. ... Pagodas feature prominently in Myanmar's landscape, earning the country the moniker "land of pagodas." According to 2016 ... Myanmar Pagoda Image from Yahoo Burmese Pagoda from Google. ... Myanmar is home to 1,479 pagodas exceeding 27 feet (8.2 m) in ...
Kyaw Swa Khaing
Shwe Yinn Mar Oo (15 August 2011). "Union govt announces reshuffle". Myanmar Times. Archived from the original on 13 September ... Thet Khaing (29 October 2007). "Lt-Gen Thein Sein is new PM". Myanmar Times. Retrieved 15 April 2012. "နာရေး" (PDF). The Mirror ... "Means for industrial development sought". New Light of Myanmar. 19 September 2008. Retrieved 15 April 2012.[permanent dead link ... was the Minister of the President's Office of Myanmar (Burma) and a former Deputy Minister for Industry-2. He held the rank of ...
Visa requirements for Canadian citizens
"Info" (PDF). tourism.ub.gov.mn. 2017. "Data" (PDF). monstat.org. "Tourist arrivals by country of residence" (PDF). "Myanmar ... Bermuda entry visas, Government of Bermuda. Do I need a visa for the Caribbean parts of the Kingdom?, Government of the ... "Pitcairn Islands". www.government.pn. Retrieved 29 June 2017. "Data" (PDF). www.government.pn. "Archived copy". Archived from ... Bahrain government website "PASSPORTS AND VISA , GoIsrael - the Official Website of Tourism to Israel". "Government Of Peru ...
Visa requirements for Swiss citizens
Bahrain government website "PASSPORTS AND VISA , GoIsrael - the Official Website of Tourism to Israel". "Government Of Peru ... Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Oman, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Peru. Philippines, Qatar, Rwanda, Samoa, Saudi ... "Entering the UK". Gov.UK. Retrieved 17 March 2021. You're not from an EEA country: you must have a valid passport to enter the ... The government of a country can declare a diplomat persona non grata, banning their entry into that country. In non-diplomatic ...
Yangon: Myanmar Consolidated Media Co. Ltd. (Government of Myanmar). pp. Volume 14, No.261. Archived from the original on May ... In 2005 the Myanmar Times reported that three villages near the dam had been relocated. The villagers had depended on the ... The Burmese government announced plans for the Yeywa Dam in late 2001. In 2004, Burma's Ministry of Electric Power (MEPE) ... "Yeywa Hydropower Project, the largest of its kind in Myanmar". MRTV-3. Archived from the original on 19 July 2011. Retrieved 22 ...
Aung was born in Illinois and returned to Myanmar with her parents when she was two and a half years old. Her mother, Hla Hla ... "Women @ JPL". women.jpl.nasa.gov. Retrieved 2019-10-16. Detwiler, Jacqueline (2016-11-03). "What Happens Inside NASA's Jet ... La, Phoebe (2020-10-08). "Burmese American engineer powering NASA to Mars". Myanmar Times. "The engineer building a drone for ... Sein, was the first woman to earn a doctoral degree in mathematics in Myanmar. She became interested in space science whilst ...
superintendent, Government printing, Burma. "The Tradition of Acheik Weaving in Myanmar - ICHCAP". Retrieved 2020-03-28. " ... Culture of Myanmar Folk costume Aye Aye Than (2017-06-12). "Myanmar Costume Style in the Bagan Period" (PDF). SOAS, University ... Clothing in Myanmar varies depending on the ethnicity, geography, climate and cultural traditions of the people of each region ... The Karen peoples are a heterogenous collection of ethnic groups that live in eastern Myanmar (Kayin State and Mon State) and ...
Visa requirements for Danish citizens
Bahrain government website "PASSPORTS AND VISA , GoIsrael - the Official Website of Tourism to Israel". "Government Of Peru ... Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Oman, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Peru. Philippines, Qatar, Rwanda, Samoa, Saudi ... Do I need a visa for the Caribbean parts of the Kingdom?, Government of the Netherlands.  Bermuda entry visas, Government ... "Entering the UK". Gov.UK. Retrieved 17 March 2021. You're not from an EEA country: you must have a valid passport to enter the ...
Myanmar.gov. ... The Myanmar Times. Myanmar Consolidated Media Co. Ltd. Archived ... Sandah Aung (2 December 2002). "The Myanmar king of rock and reel". The Myanmar Times. Archived from the original on 28 January ... He is the five-time winner of the Myanmar Motion Picture Academy Awards. He starred in and directed hundreds of films, and was ... Birmanie Myanmar. Petit Futé. 19 April 2007. p. 109. ISBN 978-2-7469-1599-2. Nilar (28 July 2008). "Life as monk for actor Kyaw ...
Visa requirements for Austrian citizens
Bahrain government website "PASSPORTS AND VISA , GoIsrael - the Official Website of Tourism to Israel". "Government Of Peru ... Thailand and Myanmar) Nonghaed - Nam kanh (Vietnam) Nam phao - Cau treo (Vietnam) Na pao - Cha lo (Vietnam) Daensavan - Lao bao ... Do I need a visa for the Caribbean parts of the Kingdom?, Government of the Netherlands. Bermuda entry visas, Government of ... "Entering the UK". Gov.UK. Retrieved 17 March 2021. You're not from an EEA country: you must have a valid passport to enter the ...
Yangon City Development Committee
Kyaw Hsu Mon; Yadana Htun (7 November 2011). "Yangon Region govt facing K22b budget black hole". Myanmar Times. Retrieved 9 ... In 2003, YCDC was organized to provide e-Government for Yangon City. The main purposes of the city's e-Government program are ... In January 2013 responsibility for e-Government was divided between the e-Government Administration Committee and the e- ... Government Processing Committee. The e-Government Administration Committee includes the Mayor of Yangon City as Patron, the ...
List of first women lawyers and judges in Asia
Phwar Hmee (1925): First female barrister in Myanmar (Burma) Hme Khin: First female judge in Myanmar (Burma) (1928) Khin Hla ... "Office of the Ombudsman". www.ombudsman.gov.ph. Retrieved 2018-05-16. "Ex-govt lawyer named new Energy Regulatory Commission ... "最高人民法院（1983年－1988年）_中国人大网". www.npc.gov.cn. Retrieved 2019-08-01. 中华人民共和国最高人民法院公报 (in Chinese). 中华人民共和国最高人民法院办公厅. 1995. Service ... "Judicial Appointment". info.gov.hk. Retrieved 2017-12-16. "The
2019 local electoral calendar
Local Government Councils and Chairmen 27 October: Argentina Buenos Aires City, Head of Government, City Legislature and ... in French) "NLD wins landslide in sparsely attended Yangon election". Frontier Myanmar. 1 April 2019. Retrieved 12 July 2020. " ... Local Government Councils and Chairmen Ekiti, Local Government Councils and Chairmen Philippines, Compostela Valley, Province ... "2019 Election: Gov Umahi wins governorship re-election in Ebonyi". Pulse NG. 10 March 2019. "PDP faults Edo House of Assembly ...
New Yangon City
The Myanmar government then received 16 proposals from nine countries, including Japan, Singapore, Italy, Spain and France, to ... The Myanmar government's Swiss Challenge Tender Committee announced that expressions of interest by companies wishing to ... "Yangon government committed to controversial 'new city'". Frontier Myanmar. Retrieved 2018-10-04. "Yangon Parliament Endorses ... "Yangon's new city vastly ambitious but govt's role called into question". The Myanmar Times. Retrieved 2018-10-04. "Experts ...
The Burmese government responded violently to the protests and the Tatmadaw, or Myanmar Armed Forces, killed many of the ... An interim government took office in early 2014, with new elections scheduled for later in 2014. A referendum that was held to ... Although a coalitional government was created with Prince Ranariddh as the First Prime Minister and Sen as the Second Prime ... Therefore, transitioning governments tend to have high levels of human rights abuses. In its annual Freedom in the World report ...
Visa requirements for Maldivian citizens
Bahrain government website "PASSPORTS AND VISA , GoIsrael - the Official Website of Tourism to Israel". "Government Of Peru ... Notes Vientiane Savannakhet Khammuan Bokeo Panghok - Taichang (Vietnam) Samliemkham - (Thailand and Myanmar) Nonghaed - Nam ... www.evisa.gov.ss/eligibility https://www.evisa.gov.ss/ https://www.evisa.gov.ss/ Entry requirements, Ministry of Foreign ... "Entering the UK". Gov.UK. Retrieved 17 March 2021. You're not from an EEA country: you must have a valid passport to enter the ...
Visa requirements for Sierra Leonean citizens
"Saint Helena eVisa". Saint Helena Government. "VISA REQUIREMENTS FOR VISITING ST HELENA". St Helena Government. 14 December ... "Myanmar eVisa". Archived from the original on 2014-08-13. Retrieved 2012-02-08. Travel Information Manual, International Air ... Immigration Ordinance 1999, Falkland Islands Government, 31 July 2017. Visas and immigration, Government of Gibraltar. ... Government of the Netherlands. Do I need a visa for the Caribbean parts of the Kingdom?, Government of the Netherlands. Do I ...
... (Burmese: ဇော်ဌေး, also known as Hmuu Zaw) is a spokesman of the Myanmar government who has served as the director ... "Myanmar government spokesman Zaw Htay". Radio Free Asia. 16 November 2016. Retrieved 23 September 2017. "U Zaw Htay: 'If they ... A graduate of the 37th intake of the Defense Services Academy, Zaw Htay served in the Myanmar Army and went on to join the ... "Meet Myanmar's new presidential spokesman, same as the old presidential spokesman". Coconuts. 7 April 2016. Retrieved 23 ...
Visa requirements for citizens of Luxembourg
Bahrain government website "PASSPORTS AND VISA , GoIsrael - the Official Website of Tourism to Israel". "Government Of Peru ... Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Oman, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Peru. Philippines, Qatar, Rwanda, Samoa, Saudi ... Government of the Netherlands.  Bermuda entry visas, Government of Bermuda. "Entry requirements - Bermuda (British Overseas ... "Entering the UK". Gov.UK. Retrieved 17 March 2021. You're not from an EEA country: you must have a valid passport to enter the ...
Tin Aung Myint Oo
"VP has 'become a monk': govt official". Myanmar Times. 21 May 2012. Archived from the original on 29 April 2014. Retrieved 21 ... UK Government. 20 April 2011. Archived from the original on 29 January 2013. Retrieved 24 July 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged ... He formerly served as the chairman of Myanmar Economics Corporation (MEC), an conglomerate owned by the Burmese military. On 1 ... CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) Dittmer, Lowell (2010). Burma Or Myanmar?: The Struggle for National Identity. World ...
Visa requirements for Romanian citizens
"Myanmar eVisa". evisa.moip.gov.mm. Travel Information Manual, International Air Transport Association (IATA). Travel ... Bahrain government website "PASSPORTS AND VISA , GoIsrael - the Official Website of Tourism to Israel". "Government Of Peru ... Immigration Ordinance 1999, Falkland Islands Government, 31 July 2017. Visas and immigration, Government of Gibraltar. ... Government of the Netherlands. Do I need a visa for the Caribbean parts of the Kingdom?, Government of the Netherlands. Do I ...
Office of the Superintendent of Government Printing. "Ever Wonder Why People Get Face Tattoos? Here's The Answer From 9 People ... "A symbol of Chin identity fades away". Myanmar Times. Archived from the original on 14 February 2013. Retrieved 27 September ... CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) Nyein Ei Ei Htwe (17 November 2013). "Chin tattoos: a fading tradition". Myanmar Times ... CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) "Tattooed Chin women lure tourists to remote region". Myanmar Times. 25 April 2011. ...
The Barton Government which came to power after the first elections to the Commonwealth parliament in 1901 was formed by the ... Myanmar. 2015. 1.0 Namibia. 2016. 17.5 Netherlands. 2016. 17.3 New Zealand. 2015. 17.9 ... In the United States, trade unions were formed based on power with the people, not over the people like the government at the ... In the Nordic System of labour market regulation, the government's legislative role is limited in the same way as in the Anglo- ...
Arya Samaj in Singapore
In 1927, Arya Samaj was established in Singapore in a shophouse in Rowell Road.. In 1942 till 1945, during the Second World War the activities of the Arya Samaj was interrupted by the Japanese occupation of Singapore.. In 1963, the Arya Samaj movement's present building at Syed Alwi Road was opened by Mollamal Sachdev, whose family gave generously to the building fund.. In 2014, on 1 and 2 November, Arya Samaj Singapore celebrated International Arya Conference (Hindi: अंतर्राष्ट्रीय आर्य महा सम्मलेन) to mark the 101 years of Arya Samaj movement.. In 2015, inaugural International Yoga Day (Hindi: अंतर्राष्ट्रीय योग दिवस) was celebrated by the Arya Samaj.. ...
List of medical colleges in India
Government Medical College, Bettiah 2008 Bettiah Aryabhatta Knowledge University Government  Indira Gandhi Institute of ... Government Medical College, Nagpur. *Indira Gandhi Government Medical College, Nagpur (run by the Nagpur Municipal Corporation) ... Colleges run by the Government of Maharashtra. *Armed Forces Medical College, Pune (run by the Government of India; exams ... Government Sivagangai Medical College and Hospital, Sivagangai. *Government Tiruvannamalai Medical College and Hospital, ...
List of aerospace engineering schools
"www.ncat.gov.ng.. *^ "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-06-15. Retrieved 2012-06-15.. CS1 maint: Archived copy ... Myanmar. *Myanmar Aerospace Engineering University. Netherlands. *Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) ... United College of Aviation,Science and Management(UCASM). Under Ministry of education, Govt.NU college code:6597. WWW.uca.edu. ...
List of political parties in China
Taiwan Democratic Self-Government League (TDSGL). 台湾民主自治同盟（台盟） 12 November 1947 73 years, 21 days British Hong Kong 3,000 ... It has been subject to crackdowns by the Chinese government.. *The Zhi Xian Party (Chinese: 至宪党), also known as the Chinese ... "npc.gov.cn. 2007-11-15. Archived from the original on 2016-02-06. Retrieved 2018-01-05.. ... "minge.gov.cn. Archived from the original on 2017-09-12. Retrieved 2020-05-13.. ...
... is now protected and announced as historical monument and site by the government of Manipur in the same year. The site is ... Similar mandala designs are also observable in Cambodia, Thailand and Myanmar. In scienceEdit. ...
Barbados-United States relations
The U.S. Government has been represented on Barbados since 1923. From 1956 to 1978, the United States operated a chemical ... Government Parliamentary democracy under a constitutional monarchy; a Commonwealth realm. Federal presidential republic ... The United States has supported the government's efforts to expand the country's economic base and to provide a higher standard ... The current mission houses eight US government agencies, working in 24 countries and territories across the region. ...
Corruption in Malaysia
"Government Directory: Prime Minister's Department". Office of the Prime Minister of Malaysia. 8 July 2011. Retrieved 28 July ... Despite periodic actions by the government to crack down on petty corruption in the Immigration Department, bribe-taking and ... The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) is a government agency in Malaysia that investigates and prosecutes corruption ... Such circumstances - known as the 'revolving door' - allow for active government participation in the economy and public- ...
Bengal famine of 1943
Alipore: Bengal Government Press.. *. Government of Bengal (1940c). Report of the Land Revenue Commission, Vol. VI (PDF). ... Following the Japanese occupation of Burma (modern Myanmar) rice imports were lost, then much of Bengal's market supplies and ... New Delhi: Manager of Publications, Government of India Press.. *. Government of Bengal (1940b). Report of the Land Revenue ... "On 29 November 1941 the central government conferred, by notification, concurrent powers on the provincial governments under ...
Wat Phra Dhammakaya
First clash with government (1997-2000). In the late 1990s, Wat Phra Dhammakaya became known for its modern management ... mostly from Myanmar, Sri Lanka and Thailand, to make a critical edition of the Pali Canon, the Theravada Buddhist scriptures. A ... Raising awareness: government supporting Buddhism]. Thai Rath (in Thai). Wacharapol. 8 February 2012. p. 15. Retrieved 2 ... The issue of Wat Dhammakaya: is the government shocked?]. Khao Sod (in Thai) (9581). Matichon Publishing. 20 February 2017. ...
Alexander Woodside (1971). Vietnam and the Chinese Model: A Comparative Study of Vietnamese and Chinese Government in the First ... "Government and Opposition. 4 (1): 118-135. doi:10.1111/j.1477-7053.1969.tb00800.x. ISSN 0017-257X. JSTOR 44481909.. ... Imperial Japanese Government Railways.. *. Tong, Chee Kiong (2010). Identity and Ethnic Relations in Southeast Asia: ... The South Vietnamese government later relaxed its stance to foreign-born Chinese in 1963, and a new nationality law was passed ...
Freedom of religion in Australia
Government response. Turnbull's government indicated it would not release the report received in May 2018 until it had ... "www.humanrights.gov.au. Retrieved 2018-06-22.. *^ a b Victorian Aids Council. "Submission to the Religious Freedom Review" (PDF ... "www.pmc.gov.au. Retrieved 2018-06-22.. *^ a b Burgess, Katie. "Ruddock review next big battle for gay community, LGBTIQ council ... "www.humanrights.gov.au. Retrieved 2018-06-22.. *^ "Perth teacher loses his job after telling school he is gay". NewsComAu. ...
In Burma (Myanmar), tea is consumed not only as hot drinks, but also as sweet tea and green tea known locally as laphet-yay and ... The British government removed the tax on tea, thereby eliminating the smuggling trade by 1785. In Britain and Ireland, tea ...
Myanmar border, including Bangladesh and the southern parts of Nepal and Bhutan. They may have also occurred in Myanmar, ... The dramatic decline of the rhino population and the extent of poaching prompted the government to institute the Gaida Gasti - ... The Indian and Nepalese governments have taken major steps towards Indian rhinoceros conservation, especially with the help of ...
"Knesset.gov.il. 1997-04-01. Retrieved 2013-06-20.. *^ "Indian government cuts down on US lobbying to lowest in 7 years". The ... Anti-Corruption Commission of Myanmar (Myanmar). *Independent Corrupt Practices Commission (Nigeria). *Investigation Task Force ... In 2010 alone, foreign governments spent approximately $460 million on lobbying members of Congress and government officials.[ ... "lobbyists.dpac.tas.gov.au. Retrieved 2015-07-03.. *^ "South Australian Lobbyist Code of Conduct and Public Register". ...
US Government Printing Office. *^ a b c d e Rijn, S. V., Zijlstra, M., & Bijlsma, R. G. (2010). Wintering white-tailed eagles ... into northeastern Myanmar, and more broadly and regularly in much of northeastern China. Good numbers winter too in ... US Government Printing Office. *^ a b c d Zhengjie, Z. (2001). Birds of China, Vol.1 (Non-Sparrow-shaped): Jilin Science and ... 8). Govt. Print. Off. *^ King, W. B., & Vincent, J. (1978). Endangered birds of the world, The ICBP Bird red data book (Vol. 2) ...
All major governments at the time of drafting the U.N. charter and the Universal declaration did their best to ensure, by all ... Myanmar and Cambodia. In October 2009, the ASEAN Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights was inaugurated, and ... John Locke incorporated natural law into many of his theories and philosophy, especially in Two Treatises of Government. Locke ... Human rights abuses are monitored by United Nations committees, national institutions and governments and by many independent ...
United States Department of State
Government Printing Office, 1977, p. 27. *^ a b Michael, William Henry. History of the Department of State of the United States ... "careers.state.gov. Retrieved November 18, 2016.. *^ "ETA Grant Application Statistics". us.fulbrightonline.org. Archived from ... gov. The United States Department of State (DOS), commonly referred to as the State Department, is a federal executive ... "State.gov. Retrieved July 19, 2017.. *^ Pincus, Erica (December 22, 2014). "The Science and Technology Adviser to the U.S. ...
The Barton Government which came to power following the first elections to the Commonwealth parliament in 1901 was formed by ... In the Nordic System of labour market regulation, the government's legislative role is limited in the same way as in the Anglo- ... "In the Continental European System of labour market regulation, the government plays an important role as there is a strong ... In the Anglo-Saxon System of labour market regulation, the government's legislative role is much more limited, which allows for ...
Centre Party (Finland)
With the outbreak of the Winter War a government of national unity was formed. President Kallio died shortly after the war. ... The Party formed many centrist minority governments with National Progressive Party and got its first Prime Ministers Kyösti ... The new president allowed the first centre-left government to be formed in Finland. A new era had begun. ... For the Agrarian League, the centrist governments were just a transitional period towards an era, which would integrate the " ...
House of Delegates of Palau
politics and government of. Palau. *Constitution. *President Tommy Remengesau. *Vice President Raynold Oilouch. ...
They indicate that the increase in word lengths with time can be attributed to the government-initiated language reform of the ... In 1908, Sultan Abdülhamid II had been forced to allow a re-established constitutional government, and the parliament ... "government", and ميدان meydân or "public") and two of Persian origin (درگاه dergâh or "tekke" and بارگاه bârgâh or "palace"). ... in the government, or in public") Selçuk Üniversitesi Uzaktan Eğitim Programı (SUZEP). As a measure of the extent of the ...
Music of Saudi Arabia
The Saudi government changed its name to 'Saudi ardah' in the 21st century. However, there are numerous variations of ardah ...
Christianity in Turkey
In 2015 the Turkish government gave permission for the Christian channel SAT-7 to broadcast on the government-regulated Türksat ... Patriarch Bartholomew objected to the government's rhetoric, saying "If it is to reopen as a house of worship, then it should ... The new church was recognized by the Ottoman government in 1850 after encouragement from the British Ambassdor Henry Wellesley ... open as a Christian church." Also in 2013, the government announced that the 5th-century Monastery of Stoudios, located in ...
The bee was used as a symbol of government by Emperor Napoleon I of France. Both the Hindu Atharva Veda and the ancient ... Myanmar, Cambodia, and Vietnam. ... "Federal Government Seizes Dozens of Misbranded Drug Products: ...
"Foodsafety.gov. Retrieved 23 January 2016.. *^ "Page not found". European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. Retrieved ... The world leader in production of dry beans is Myanmar (Burma), followed by India and Brazil. In Africa, the most important ...
Islam in Malaysia
The Malaysian government has strict policies against other Islamic sects, including a complete ban on Shia Islam, allegedly ... Government bodies and banking institutions are closed for two hours every Friday so Muslim workers can conduct Friday prayer in ... The government has remained silent on the question, believing that it is much too controversial to be debated. However, in ... Some Islamic terms, such as the word Allah, are forbidden to non-Muslims both orally and in government's ban on the use of the ...
"Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, 1996 - Chapter 1: Founding Provisions", www.gov.za, South African Government. ... Natarajan, Swaminathan (6 March 2014) Myanmar's Tamils seek to protect their identity. BBC ... Classical Tamil, Government of India *^ Abraham, S. A. (2003), "Chera, Chola, Pandya: Using Archaeological Evidence to Identify ... "By govt. order: 9,000 words to enter Tamil vocabulary". The Hindu. Chennai: Kasturi & Sons. 9 November 2019. p. 2. Retrieved 29 ...
A radical group continued to fight the government, but signed its own peace treaty in 2001. The war ended in a government ... The government is dominated by the Somali Issa Dir clan, who enjoy the support of the Somali clans, especially the Gadabuursi ... Government. Unitary dominant-party presidential republic under an authoritarian dictatorship. ... Government. *. "Site Officiel de la République de Djibouti" [Official website of the Republic of Djibouti] (in French). ...
Department of Culture, Government of Odisha. pp. 32-35.. *^ Roy, Niharranjan, Bangalir Itihas: Adiparba (in Bengali), Dey's ...
Myanmar guerrillas capture government base
... a morale-boosting action for those opposing the militarys takeover of the countrys civilian government in February.Myanmars ... Ethnic Karen guerrillas say they have captured a Myanmar army base near the border with Thailand, representing ... There was no immediate comment from Myanmars military government.. The KNU, which controls territory in eastern Myanmar near ... There is a similar situation in northern Myanmar, where the Kachin minority says it has captured several government outposts ...
Joint Government-UN Meeting on Myanmar's LDC graduation | LDC Portal
Myanmar is one of the five countries that will be reviewed by the Committee for Development Policy (CDP) in February 2021 and ... the government of Myanmar and the UN Resident Coordinators office co-hosted a joint meeting on Myanmars LDC Graduation ... The high-level of representation of the Myanmar government, which included H.E. U Soe Win, Minister of Planning Finance and ... Myanmar is one of the five countries that will be reviewed by the Committee for Development Policy (CDP) in February 2021 and ...
Fresh Fires, Bomb Blast In Myanmar's Rakhine: Government
... the government said Friday, the latest unrest in a region that has seen hundreds of thousands of Rohinyga Muslims flee in under ... Twenty homes caught fire and a bomb was detonated near a mosque in Myanmars Rakhine state, ... Sittwe, Myanmar: Twenty homes caught fire and a bomb was detonated near a mosque in Myanmars Rakhine state, the government ... Fresh Fires, Bomb Blast In Myanmars Rakhine: Government. The violence comes days after Myanmars civilian leader Aung San Suu ...
Medical Personnel in Myanmar Participate in Anti-Government Rally | Voice of America - English
Defying Myanmars military crackdown, anti-coup protesters in Mandalay held a rally at dawn early morning Sunday to avoid major ... At least two protesters were killed Sunday in Myanmar, the latest fatalities in violent clashes between police and civilians ... On Saturday, Myanmar security forces and police cracked down again on anti-government protesters across the country in the face ... Medical Personnel in Myanmar Participate in Anti-Government Rally By VOA News ...
China's relations with Myanmar: Does an NLD government mark a new era? | Asia Times
In fact, its presence and influence can be felt in almost all walks of life in Myanmar. The change of government in Myanmar ... China should once again adjust its policy toward Myanmar. While the change of government in Myanmar does not alter Chinas ... Chinas relations with Myanmar: Does an NLD government mark a new era?. December 8, 2015 2:35 PM (UTC+8) *Share ... Chinas relations with Myanmar under Thein Sein. There is no denying the fact that the Thein Sein government has made many ...
Govt reviews pact with Myanmar on free movement along border - india news - Hindustan Times
A large number of Rohingya Mulisms have fled Myanmar and are seeking refuge in India following a crackdown by the military in ... Govt reviews pact with Myanmar on free movement along border. A large number of Rohingya Mulisms have fled Myanmar and are ... Home / India News / Govt reviews pact with Myanmar on free movement along border ... People protest at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi against the genocide of Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar.(Arun Sharma/HT PHOTO). ...
National Unity Government of Myanmar - Wikipedia
"Opponents of Myanmar coup announce unity government". CNA. "Opponents of Myanmar coup announce unity government". www.aljazeera ... "Opponents of Myanmars junta set up national unity government". Reuters. 16 April 2021. "Myanmar activists hold blue shirt ... "Myanmar: National unity government must be recognised". www.ituc-csi.org. Retrieved 2021-04-22. "Myanmars National Unity ... "Some countries will officially recognise Myanmars shadow government in the coming days, says new minister". Myanmar NOW. ...
Ministry of Union Government Office (Myanmar) - Wikipedia
The Ministry of Union Government Office is a ministry-level body that serves the Government of Myanmar. Union Government Office ... As regards the duties and responsibilities of the Union Government, the Secretary of the Union Government, Director-General of ... The Union Government is performing numerous of tasks including matters on the administration of the Union, matters on Planning ... In forming the Ministry of the Office of the Union Government, the office routine work will be carried out with the labor ...
UNICEF, Government and partners convene to jointly address the impact of air pollution on children in Myanmar
UNICEF in Myanmar UNICEF has been working with the Government and the people of Myanmar since 1950. In partnership with the ... UNICEF, Government and partners convene to jointly address the impact of air pollution on children in Myanmar Evidence-based ... it is important to address air pollution in Myanmar for the health and safety of Myanmars people. We have immediate choices ... In Myanmar, almost all rural households use highly polluting biomass for cooking. Additionally, smog-forming emissions from old ...
People in Myanmar Don't Know About Coronavirus Because the Government Blocked the Internet
The government of Aung San Suu Kyi ordered telecoms companies to shut down mobile internet coverage in two states. That was a ... "The Myanmar government continues to justify its actions on the basis of national security, but, perversely, its the internet ... Human rights organizations are now calling on the Myanmar government to lift all internet restrictions on the townships in ... People in Myanmar Dont Know About Coronavirus Because the Government Blocked the Internet. ...
Myanmar: Government restrictions severely impacting access to healthcare in Rakhine State | MSF UK
MSF calls on the Myanmar government to take action to ensure displaced people, and those cut off from services, have proper ... MSF in Myanmar. MSF has been providing healthcare in Myanmar since 1992, providing medical care to millions of people hailing ... The Rohingya are a stateless minority group, not recognised as citizens by the Government of Myanmar. ... Across Myanmar, MSF provides more than 28,000 people with lifesaving anti-retroviral treatment for AIDS and was amongst the ...
Humanitarian Assistance for Displaced Persons from Myanmar - Royal Thai Government Policy and Donor, INGO, NGO and UN Agency...
This volume examines the protracted refugee situation at the Thai-Myanmar border. Displaced ... Forced Migration on the border between Myanmar and Thailand. *Focus on Royal Thai Government policy and donor, INGO/NGO and UN ... Humanitarian Assistance for Displaced Persons from Myanmar. Royal Thai Government Policy and Donor, INGO, NGO and UN Agency ... Humanitarian Assistance for Displaced Persons from Myanmar. Book Subtitle. Royal Thai Government Policy and Donor, INGO, NGO ...
Tuberculosis treatment outcomes among retreatment patients registered by private practitioners in Myanmar - GOV.UK
PressReader - The Myanmar Times: 2016-10-19 - Govt launches investigation into Sa-gaing ferry dis-as-ter
Govt launches investigation into Sa-gaing ferry dis-as-ter. The Myanmar Times - 2016-10-19. - Front Page - SWAN YE HTUT swanye- ... THE govern-ment has launched a five-mem-ber team tasked with in-ves-ti-gat-ing the rea-son for the deadly sink-ing of the Aung ... Sa-gaing Re-gion Wa-ter Trans-port Depart-ment head U Phyo Min Khin told The Myan-mar Times yes-ter-day. Early re-ports in-di- ...
Myanmar gov't, 15 ethnic armed groups hold 1st peace talks | Philippines Today
Myanmar govt, 15 ethnic armed groups hold 1st peace talks. November 4, 2013 - Miscellaneous ... YANGON, (PNA/Xinhua) - Myanmar governments Central Peace Making Work Committee and representatives of 15 rebel ethnic armed ... The government side was headed by Vice Chairman of the Central Peace-Making Work Committee U Aung Min, while the 15 ethnic ... City govt eyes P75-M income from economic enterprise December 17, 2015 ...
Local government - Wikipedia
Myanmar. Main article: Administrative divisions of Myanmar. Nepal. Main article: Local governance in Nepal ... Local government is the third tier of government in Pakistan, after Federal Government and Provincial Government. There are ... Main article: Local government in Malaysia. Local government is the lowest level in the system of government in Malaysia-after ... Main article: Local government in Australia. Local government is the third type of government in Australia, after Federal and ...
Myanmar News - India Real Time - WSJ
Why the Federal Government Could Shut Down. * Is Amazon Going to Rule the World?. ... What Better Myanmar Ties Mean for Indias Northeast. *. May 29, 2012 3:58 pm IST. ... Eid Among Myanmars Rohingyas in Delhi. *. Aug 21, 2012 1:08 pm IST. ... Timeline: A Short History of Myanmars Rohingya Minority. *. Dec 23, 2016 6:46 pm IST. ...
Mystery 15ft metal object lands in Myanmar jade mine after falling from sky
Residents of a jade mining area in northern Myanmar had a lucky escape when 15ft long piece of metal, believed to be space ... Government may intervene to curb dangerous cancer cure propaganda * 09 Aug 2020, 6:00am Fatty foods may get skull-and- ... Residents of a jade mining area in northern Myanmar had a lucky escape when 15ft long piece of metal, believed to be space ... We were all afraid of that explosion, villager Ko Maung Myo told the Myanmar Times. ...
Myanmar: Thailand braced for more refugees as thousands flee airstrikes in border region of Karen state
Thailand is bracing itself for an influx of refugees after Myanmars military launched further airstrikes in the border region ... French government disgusted by attack on Muslim centre. The French government on Sunday condemned the defacing of an Islamic ... Myanmar: Thailand braced for more refugees as thousands flee airstrikes in border region of Karen state. 28 March 2021, 11:04 ... In an effort to counter typhoid, a disease said to be endemic in Liberia with more than 7,400 cases annually, the government ...
23 Mar 2021: Written answers - TheyWorkForYou
Myanmar: Politics and Government To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Affairs, what steps ... Palestinians: Politics and Government To ask Her Majestys Government what representations they are making to the government of ... Myanmar: Politics and Government To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Affairs, what ... Local Government Finance To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, if he will publish all ...
10 Interesting Facts About The Kayan People Of Myanmar - WorldAtlas
In the past, the Kayan believed that removing the coil lead to a broken neck and death by suffocation The government ... 10 Interesting Facts About The Kayan People Of Myanmar. Kayan women are noted for their long necks with brass neck rings.. ... In the 1980s and 90s, many fled the civil war in Myanmar and sought refuge in Thailand, where they integrated with the local ... The Kayan people of Myanmar are a subgroup of the Karenni people ( Red Karen). The population of the Kayan is estimated at ...
Myanmar : Govt evicts Nansibon jade mine scavengers
Government - Law - Pyithu Hluttaw Election Law, No. 3/2010. *Government - Law - Region Hluttaw or the State Hluttaw Election ... Government - Law- Union Election Commission Law, No. 1/2010. *Government - Ministry for Progress of Border Areas and National ... Government - Law - Amyotha Hluttaw Election Law, No. 4/2010. *Government - Law - Computer Science Development Law, SLORC 10/96 ... Government - Law - Union Election Commission Directive, No. 2/2010. *Government - Law - Union Election Commission Notification ...
With Refugee Camps Overwhelmed, Rohingya Fleeing Myanmar Sleep on Roadsides
South Sudan Opposition: Government Lacks Will to Work for Peace (20) * 2 Special Counsel Investigating US Election Meddling ... with some unable to access the life saving assistance required after days walking through the Myanmar jungle.. "I have been in ... with the UNs top human rights official saying Myanmar is carrying out a textbook example of ethnic cleansing against the ...
Myanmar ethnic groups attend government peace talks - BREAKING
Myanmar govt to launch roadmap for financial inclusion
Joint Submission to CEDAW on Myanmar | Human Rights Watch
... for an exceptional report from the Myanmar government on the situation of women and girls from northern Rakhine State. ... Our organizations are unaware of any such measures taken by the Myanmar government. Nor has the government claimed to have ... The Myanmar government has a poor record of treating Rohingya displaced by past abuses or providing sustainable conditions for ... We have organized key findings of our research in response to some of the questions posed by CEDAW to the Myanmar government. ...
New Light of Myanmar - Wikipedia
The New Light of Myanmar is often viewed as propaganda on part of the Tatmadaw and the government, and features many articles ... myanmar. .com. /newspapers. /the-new-light-of-myanmar. .html. The New Light of Myanmar (Burmese: မြန်မာ့အလင်း; MLCTS: mran ma. ... a. lang:, IPA: [mjànma̰ álín]; formerly The New Light of Burma) is a government-owned newspaper published by the Ministry of ... It is the longest-running circulated newspaper in Myanmar. The newspaper was nationalised in 1969. In 1993, the Working ...
Brazil's government celebrates military coup anniversary
Key members of Brazils government on Wednesday celebrated the anniversary of the countrys 1964 military coup, which launched ... Myanmars military is charging families $85 to retrieve the bodies of relatives killed by its own forces. ... Myanmars Suu Kyi asks court to let her meet lawyers, activists urge New Year defiance. ... "We are here to celebrate the expulsion of communists from the Brazilian government," 32-year-old business owner Ronan Guimarães ...
Syria: Strong Evidence Government Used Chemicals as a Weapon | Human Rights Watch
Syrias government has accused terrorists of possessing chlorine gas and has blamed them for the attacks on Keferzita. While ... Syria: Strong Evidence Government Used Chemicals as a Weapon. Civilian Casualties in Barrel Bomb Attacks on 3 Towns ... Given the Syrian governments ongoing violations of international norms, including its apparent failure to comply with its ... The group said the Syrian government has agreed to accept this mission and to provide security in areas under its control. ...
Myanmar gov't dismisses U.N. statement | The China Post
"Since Myanmar is a member country of the United Nations and as the government has declared it would work with the U.N., we ... State-run TV and radio issued a statement Friday arguing that conditions inside Myanmar - a reference to the anti government ... YANGON, Myanmar - Myanmars military junta dismissed a U.N. statement Friday calling for dialogue with the pro-democracy ... "The government of Myanmar will continue to implement the seven-step roadmap together with the people," the statement said, ...
YangonAung SanMyanmar's20172021Burma2018Reuters20192020ASEAN2016ThailandCountry'sBangladeshGovernment'sProtestersRefugeesArakan ArmyLight of MyanmarActivistsRepatriationMandalayPresident Barack ObamaRefugeeNaypyidawSeeking refugeConflictNewsReformsOfficialsArmyBuddhist MyanmarTroopsTalksVillagesMalariaSpecial envoyIndonesiaRoadmapAuthoritiesCrisisProgrammeViolenceDemonstratorsEthnic armed groupsKuala LumpurProtestsNationalsMalaysiaUnited NationsRakhineCrackdownFleeGenocideStatelessOrganizationsUNICEFJade
- People mourn as they attend the funeral of Thet Paing Soe, who was shot and killed during a protest against the military coup in Yangon, Myanmar, March 20, 2021. (voanews.com)
- Cover: A Buddhist monk wearing face mask to help curb the spread of the new coronavirus, walks to collect morning alms from devotees in Yangon, Myanmar Monday, May 18, 2020. (vice.com)
- YANGON, (PNA/Xinhua) - Myanmar government's Central Peace Making Work Committee and representatives of 15 rebel ethnic armed groups out of 17 began their first ever peace talks on Monday in six decades in Myitgyina, capital of northernmost Kachin state, local sources said. (philippinestoday.net)
- St., Yangon, Myanmar. (wikipedia.org)
- formerly The New Light of Burma ) is a government-owned newspaper published by the Ministry of Information and based in Yangon , Myanmar . (wikipedia.org)
- YANGON, Myanmar - A call for a Monday general strike by demonstrators in Myanmar protesting the military's seizure of power has been met by the ruling junta with a thinly veiled threat to use lethal force, raising the possibility of major clashes. (yahoo.com)
- M inister Retno Marsudi arrived in Myanmar's capital, Yangon, as protestors in her own capital, Jakarta, launched a Molotov cocktail at the Myanmar embassy. (telegraph.co.uk)
- A police vehicle is parked at a road in South Okkalapa township to block anti-coup protesters' gathering in Yangon, Myanmar, Friday, April 9, 2021. (yahoo.com)
- Young demonstrators flash the three-fingered symbol of resistance as they march in Yangon, Myanmar, Saturday, April 10, 2021. (yahoo.com)
- A protester with an image of ousted Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi on the arm joins anti-coup protest march in Yangon, Myanmar, Saturday, April 10, 2021. (yahoo.com)
- Protesters chant slogans and march in the street of Myaynigone township during the anti-coup demonstration in Yangon, Myanmar, Friday, April 9, 2021. (yahoo.com)
- Children flash the three-fingered symbol of resistance as they join an anti-coup protest in Yangon, Myanmar, Saturday, April 10, 2021. (yahoo.com)
- YANGON (AP) - At least 82 people were killed in one day in a crackdown by Myanmar security forces on pro-democracy protesters, according to reports Saturday from independent local media and an organization that keeps track of casualties since the February coup. (yahoo.com)
- YANGON, Myanmar - Myanmar's military junta dismissed a U.N. statement Friday calling for dialogue with the pro-democracy opposition, insisting that it would follow its own roadmap toward reform - a plan critics say is a ruse aimed at extending the government's grip on power. (nownews.com)
- YANGON, Myanmar - Protesters in Myanmar on Thursday marked two months since the military seized power by again defying the threat of lethal violence and demonstrating against its toppling of the country's democratically elected government. (yahoo.com)
- In this image made from video, police in riot gear move in at anti-coup protesters gathered in Yangon, Myanmar, Saturday, Feb. 27, 2021. (yahoo.com)
- Myanmar police on Saturday moved to clear anti-coup protesters from the streets of the country's biggest city Yangon. (yahoo.com)
- Explore the ancient mysteries of Myanmar on this tour from Yangon. (intrepidtravel.com)
- COX'S BAZAR, Bangladesh/YANGON (Reuters) - Two blasts rocked an area on the Myanmar side of the border with Bangladesh on Monday, accompanied by the sound of gunfire and thick black smoke, as violence that has sent nearly 90,000 Muslim Rohingya fleeing to Bangladesh showed no sign of easing. (reuters.com)
- Chinese embassy in Myanmar as well as Chinese companies working in the country donated on Friday a bulk of relief materials to fire victims left homeless through a recent major fire in Yangon. (www.gov.cn)
- Taking care by Chinese Economic and Commercial Counselor Tang Hai and representatives of the Chinese companies, the relief materials were immediately transported to the victims resettled at government-arranged relief camp opened at a suburban area in the new satellite town of Shwepyithar in Yangon where an industrial zone locates. (www.gov.cn)
- YANGON, Sept. 28 (Xinhua) -- Myanmar authorities seized large haul of stimulant tablets in three townships of Shan state in a single day, according to the Central Committee for Drug Abuse Control (CCDAC) on Saturday. (wn.com)
- COX'S BAZAR, Bangladesh/YANGON (Reuters) - Thousands of Rohingya Muslims fleeing violence in Myanmar are trying to cross the border with Bangladesh, Bangladeshi security officials said yesterday, as fresh fighting erupted in Myanmar's northwestern Rakhine state. (stabroeknews.com)
- YANGON: Myanmar troops seized $7 million worth of narcotics, precursors and equipment in a raid on drug labs in the restive north, the army said Monday, as it continues a war against ethnic rebels accused of profiting from the drug trade. (einnews.com)
- Confiscated drugs are burnt during a ceremony by Myanmar police to commemorate World Anti-Drugs Day on the outskirts of Yangon on June 26, 2017. (einnews.com)
- After first attending a series of summit meetings in this gleaming capital city, built in just 10 years to house the new Myanmar government, the president traveled Thursday to a more storied city: Yangon, symbolic home of the opposition party, whose leaders are growing impatient with Obama's embrace of the sitting government. (latimes.com)
- The study will be a collaboration between clinicians at Insein General Hospital North Okkalapa General Hospital and Thingangyun General Hospital in Yangon and Naypyidaw General Hospital in Naypyidaw, Myanmar and the Department of Global Health at Menzies School of Health Research. (clinicaltrials.gov)
- Police clash with Buddhist monks while they take part in a protest in support of the jailed nationalist right wing monk Wirathu outside Insein prison in Yangon, Myanmar, January 16, 2021. (channelnewsasia.com)
- The KNU, which controls territory in eastern Myanmar near the Thai border, is a close ally of the resistance movement against the military coup that ousted the elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi. (yahoo.com)
- China's relationship with Aung San Suu Kyi was largely suppressed under the military government. (atimes.com)
- This policy was cost free because the NLD and its leader Aung San Suu Kyi had little influence over Myanmar's domestic and foreign policy decision process under the military government and China could pursue its political and economic agendas by working with the government alone. (atimes.com)
- The government of Aung San Suu Kyi ordered telecoms companies to shut down mobile internet coverage in two states. (vice.com)
- The government of Aung San Suu Kyi ordered telecoms companies to block mobile internet coverage in nine townships across the two states on June 20 last year, as clashes between the Myanmar military and troops from the ethnic Arakan Army escalated. (vice.com)
- The death toll of 82 was a preliminary one compiled by the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners, which issues daily counts of casualties and arrests from the crackdown in the aftermath of the Feb. 1 coup that ousted the elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi. (yahoo.com)
- SHAMLAPUR, Bangladesh/ DHAKA, (Reuters) - Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi came under more pressure yesterday to halt violence against Rohingya Muslims that has sent nearly 125,000 of them fleeing over the border to Bangladesh in just over 10 days. (stabroeknews.com)
- WASHINGTON (AP) - A senior administration official says President Barack Obama will meet privately with Myanmar democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi at the White House Wednesday. (spokesman.com)
- WASHINGTON (AP) - Myanmar democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi is signaling guarded support for the easing of the remaining U.S. economic sanctions on her country. (spokesman.com)
- The treatment of approximately 1.1 million Muslim Rohingya in mainly Buddhist Myanmar has emerged as the biggest challenge for national leader Aung San Suu Kyi, who late on Friday condemned the morning raids - in which insurgents wielding guns, sticks and homemade bombs assaulted 30 police stations and an army base. (stabroeknews.com)
- Among those who have urged Obama to take a harder line with the government of President Thein Sein is Aung San Suu Kyi , the Nobel laureate whose years of house arrest made her the international face of the independence movement. (latimes.com)
- WASHINGTON DC: The military's seizure of power in Myanmar and the detention of head of government Aung San Suu Kyi is far from the first time generals in the country have interfered in national politics. (channelnewsasia.com)
- How else can one interpret the government's shameful actions in obstructing information needed for humanitarian agencies to provide food and other assistance, impeding people from learning about COVID-19 and its spread, and blocking reporting about rights abuses,' Robertson told DW, adding that the civilian government of Aung San Suu Kyi is at fault. (taiwannews.com.tw)
- A spokesman for the Karen National Union, the minority's main political group seeking greater autonomy from Myanmar's central government, said its armed wing attacked the base at 5am and burned it down just after dawn. (yahoo.com)
- There was no immediate comment from Myanmar's military government. (yahoo.com)
- On January 6, 2021, the government of Myanmar and the UN Resident Coordinator's office co-hosted a joint meeting on Myanmar's LDC Graduation Process. (un.org)
- Twenty homes caught fire and a bomb was detonated near a mosque in Myanmar's Rakhine state, the government said Friday, the latest unrest in a region that has seen hundreds of thousands of Rohinyga Muslims flee in under a month. (ndtv.com)
- Myanmar's government admits that scores of villages have been burned down over the past month. (ndtv.com)
- The government has blocked independent media access to the conflict zone in northern Rakhine, making it difficult to verify the swirl of claims and counterclaims that has amplified Myanmar's already bitter ethnic divides. (ndtv.com)
- With the National League for Democracy's (NLD) landslide victory in the general elections in November, China expects a new page in Myanmar's domestic politics and foreign policy under the new government to be inaugurated at the end of March 2016. (atimes.com)
- With rapid development already occurring, it is important to address air pollution in Myanmar for the health and safety of Myanmar's people. (unicef.org)
- Malaysia, another ASEAN member, summoned Myanmar's ambassador to express displeasure over the violence and scolded Myanmar for making "little, if any" progress on the problem. (stabroeknews.com)
- Myanmar's government and its development partners can help farmers increase productivity and raise their incomes through increasing rice yields, more crop diversification, value-addition for crops and products, and by granting stronger land tenure security. (worldbank.org)
- The jade trade between Myanmar and China is worth an estimated US$30 billion a year - about half of Myanmar's GDP. (channelnewsasia.com)
- Paet, along with other MEPs, visited a refugee camp in Bangladesh to see the situation with his own eyes before meeting with representatives of Myanmar's government to submit the European Union's demands regarding the crisis. (err.ee)
- In addition to strengthening Myanmar's national HIV programs, CDC supports Myanmar to address its tuberculosis (TB) epidemic through health systems strenghtening. (cdc.gov)
- Myanmar's government has continued to be swayed by military influence. (latimes.com)
- The coalition also appealed to the World Health Organization (WHO) to urge Myanmar's government to end the shutdown. (taiwannews.com.tw)
- The government defends the shutdown and claims that it is necessary due to the intense fight between Myanmar' military and the Arakan Army, a militant group based in Rakhine state.In Rakhine state, Myanmar's military has been accused of committing serious human rights violations. (taiwannews.com.tw)
- Union Government Office General Administration Department Htun Htun Oo, Union Attorney General, posted a bill from the president to the Pyidaungsu Hluttaw for the formation of two new ministries on 20 November 2017. (wikipedia.org)
- Human Rights Watch and Fortify Rights welcome the opportunity to provide joint input into the November 2017 request by the Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) for an exceptional report from the Myanmar government on the situation of women and girls from northern Rakhine State. (hrw.org)
- This submission outlines the findings of our organizations through several separate on-the-ground investigations in 2016, 2017, and 2018 that documented widespread human rights violations committed against ethnic Rohingya women and girls by Myanmar security forces. (hrw.org)
-  In November 2017, Pramila Patten, the United Nations special representative on sexual violence in conflict, said the Myanmar army's widespread use of sexual violence against Rohingya women and girls was "a calculated tool of terror aimed at the extermination and removal of the Rohingya as a group," adding that she documented the basis for characterizing the crimes as genocide. (hrw.org)
- In December 2016 and March 2017, Fortify Rights spoke to eight Rohingya women who were raped and gang raped by Myanmar army soldiers in October and November 2016 in seven villages in Maungdaw township. (hrw.org)
-  Fortify Rights also documented rape and sexual violence in August and September 2017 in all three townships of northern Rakhine State, including through interviews with nine witnesses to rapes, gang rapes, and post-rape body mutilation by Myanmar army soldiers. (hrw.org)
- Although much work has been done in the camps since August 2017, when the majority of the Rohingya refugees arrived after fleeing violence in Myanmar, conditions remain difficult. (abc.net.au)
- Smoke is seen on the Myanmar side of the border from Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh, September 4, 2017. (reuters.com)
- We must all go further, faster-together," Kyte told more than 1500 delegates and government ministers at the 2017 version of the biannual Vienna Energy Forum this week, organized by the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) . (ipsnews.net)
- She, as Umme, had escaped Myanmar in August 2017. (counterpunch.org)
- Myanmar is one of the five countries that will be reviewed by the Committee for Development Policy (CDP) in February 2021 and may be recommended for graduation from the category of least developed countries (LDCs). (un.org)
- Protesters take cover during clashes with security forces in Monywa, Myanmar, March 21, 2021, in this still image from a video obtained by Reuters. (voanews.com)
- In this image taken from video by UNTV, Myanmar Ambassador to the United Nations Kyaw Moe Tun flashes the three-fingered salute, a gesture of defiance done by anti-coup protesters in Myanmar, at the end of his speech before the U.N. General Assembly at the United Nations Friday, Feb. 27 , 2021. (yahoo.com)
- Buddhist monks flash a three-fingered salute of defiance in Mandalay, Myanmar on Feb 8, 2021. (channelnewsasia.com)
- abbreviated NUG) is a body claiming to be the legitimate government of Myanmar (Burma), existing in parallel with State Administration Council military junta. (wikipedia.org)
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on Twitter the U.S. would take firm action 'against those who perpetrate violence against the people of Burma as they demand the restoration of their democratically elected government. (yahoo.com)
- Donor Information Pack Contains Current Detailed Information About International Aid and United Nations Agencies That Have Launched Appeals For The Myanmar (Burma) Nargis Cyclone Humanitarian Crisis. (prweb.com)
- As further information emerges about the extent of the humanitarian disaster in Myanmar (Burma), inflicted by Tropical Cyclone Nargis, the United Nations, international aid agencies and governments stepped up their calls to the Myanmar government to allow immediate access to the region. (prweb.com)
- Travel to Myanmar (Burma) and discover mythical landscapes and amazing hospitality. (intrepidtravel.com)
- Our Myanmar (Burma) trips score an average of 4.85 out of 5 based on 874 reviews in the last year. (intrepidtravel.com)
- Myanmar  , or Burma , officially the Republic of the Union of Myanmar is a country in Southeast Asia . (wikitravel.org)
- In Myanmar - called Burma under British rule, but changed by the military after crushing the pro-democracy movement in 1989 - the colonists brought in Hindu and Muslim Indians to serve in the colonial administration. (channelnewsasia.com)
-  In March 2018, UN Special Rapporteur Yanghee Lee said the crimes against Rohingya in Myanmar "bear the hallmarks of genocide. (hrw.org)
- Cox's Bazar (25 February 2018) - Six months after more than 688,000 refugees from Myanmar fled from mass violence to neighboring Bangladesh, providing continued support for medical treatment, sanitation, and shelter remain the most pressing needs. (einnews.com)
- The majority of domestic news articles comes from the state-run Myanmar News Agency (MNA), whilst most international articles come from news services , particularly Reuters , which are published after censorship by the MNA. (wikipedia.org)
- A recent Reuters report noted that Myanmar was the only developing country in Southeast Asia where spending on the military is higher than combined spending on healthcare and education. (bangkokpost.com)
- Reuters reporters heard explosions and saw black smoke rising near a Myanmar village. (reuters.com)
- Two refugees also told Reuters they saw members of the Myanmar army around the site in the immediate period preceding the blasts which occurred around 2:25 p.m. (reuters.com)
- Reuters was unable to independently verify that the planted devices were landmines and that there was any link to the Myanmar army. (reuters.com)
- On Monday, Reuters reporters saw fires and heard gunshots before the explosions near the Myanmar village of Taung Pyo Let Way. (reuters.com)
- KUALA LUMPUR/KOH LIPE, Thailand (Reuters) - Malaysia prodded Myanmar on Sunday to halt the exodus from its shores as concern grew for uncounted migrants adrift in rickety boats around the Andaman Sea. (reuters.com)
- Some 3,000 Rohingya arrived at the Naf river separating Myanmar and Bangladesh yesterday, Manzurul Hassan Khan, a Bangladeshi border guard commander, told Reuters. (stabroeknews.com)
- Reuters reporters saw hundreds of Rohingya crossing into Bangladesh near the border village of Gumdhum as gun shots could be heard from the Myanmar side. (stabroeknews.com)
- The government temporarily lifted restrictions in five townships from September 2019 until February 2020 when they were reinstated - just as the coronavirus outbreak was beginning to spread around the world. (vice.com)
- He told the 4th Emerging Asia Banking and FinTech Summit 2019 on Tuesday that Myanmar had fully drawn up the road map, which would be officially launched once approved by the cabinet. (consult-myanmar.com)
- Myanmar authorities blocked internet access in the nine townships in the two states on June 21, 2019, citing security concerns. (taiwannews.com.tw)
- What's in Store for Myanmar in 2020 and Beyond? (irrawaddy.com)
- The immediate objective of the project is by 2020, as a result of the strengthening of selected elements of the national OSH system, Myanmar and Lao PDR have established and enhanced an overall occupational safety and health framework. (ilo.org)
- It called for the immediate cessation of violence, a dialogue among all concerned parties, mediation of the dialogue process by an ASEAN special envoy, provision of humanitarian aid through ASEAN channels, and a visit to Myanmar by the special envoy to meet all concerned parties. (yahoo.com)
- The International Trade Union Confederation has called for recognition of the NUG by governments and the United Nations, and the ASEAN Parliamentarians for Human Rights, a group of pro-human rights lawmakers within the ASEAN countries, have called on ASEAN to invite the NUG to the April 24 ASEAN summit rather than representatives of the military junta. (wikipedia.org)
- While ASEAN and PRC nationals may have had visa-free access in the past, the Myanmar Embassy in Singapore declares that 'all nationalities' must obtain visas before travel (9 April 2008). (wikitravel.org)
- Ultimate beneficiaries: all the workers, employers and general public of Myanmar, Lao PDR and other ASEAN countries. (ilo.org)
- Ethnic Karen guerrillas say they have captured a Myanmar army base near the border with Thailand, representing a morale-boosting action for those opposing the military's takeover of the country's civilian government in February. (yahoo.com)
- In the 1980s and 90s, many fled the civil war in Myanmar and sought refuge in Thailand, where they integrated with the local Thai people and are still living in the country. (worldatlas.com)
- Although some have assimilated into the local Thai population, a majority continue to live in abject poverty in refugee camps along the border of Thailand and Myanmar. (worldatlas.com)
- For example, to harvest rice, one day of work generates only 23 kg of paddy in Myanmar, compared to 62 kg in Cambodia, 429 kg in Vietnam, and 547 kg in Thailand. (worldbank.org)
- Up to 40% OFF Sailing trips to Cuba, Bahamas, Thailand and Myanmar. (intrepidtravel.com)
- The high-level of representation of the Myanmar government, which included H.E. U Soe Win, Minister of Planning Finance and Industry, deputy ministers and the Permanent Representatives to the UN in New York and Geneva, sends a positive signal in terms of the country's commitment to navigating the graduation process and, if recommended for graduation, ensuring a smooth transition out of the LDC category. (un.org)
- In an effort to counter typhoid, a disease said to be endemic in Liberia with more than 7,400 cases annually, the government has introduced a vaccine for the first time this month in its regular child inoculations, according to Adolphus Clarke, the country's Program Manager for National Immunization at the Ministry of Health. (yahoo.com)
- Around 400,000 Rohingya Muslims have now sought refuge in the country's southern state of Chitagong, with the UN's top human rights official saying Myanmar is carrying out 'a textbook example of ethnic cleansing' against the Rohingya. (voanews.com)
- SAO PAULO (AP) - Key members of Brazil's government on Wednesday celebrated the anniversary of the country's 1964 military coup, which launched a 21-year dictatorship that saw hundreds of people killed and thousands tortured. (yahoo.com)
- Inside Myanmar, an opposition group consisting of ousted lawmakers on Wednesday declared the country's 2008 constitution, drafted under military direction, void and put forward an interim replacement charter in another challenge to the junta. (yahoo.com)
- Demonstrators in several areas burned copies of the 2008 constitution on Thursday to celebrate the action by the Committee Representing Pyidaungsu Hluttaw, the country's legislature, which calls itself the legitimate government. (yahoo.com)
- While the recent political reforms in Myanmar hold promise for the country's future, its long-neglected healthcare system faces a number of challenges before it can deliver effective and affordable care to the people. (bangkokpost.com)
- Although the government increased spending on healthcare in 2013, the rise brought healthcare spending to 3.9% of the country's total budget. (bangkokpost.com)
- Myanmar security forces cracked down on anti-coup protesters in the country's second-largest city Mandalay on Friday, injuring at least three people, two of whom were shot in the chest by rubber bullets and another who suffered a wound on his leg. (yahoo.com)
- Come and see why, even when the country's reputation might have chilled, Myanmar still has the ability to stir. (intrepidtravel.com)
- CDC's office in Myanmar was established in 2015 and supports the country's National AIDS Program, the National Health Laboratory, and other partners to develop strategies and guidelines for HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment and strengthen surveillance and laboratory systems. (cdc.gov)
- Rohingya have been fleeing Myanmar to Bangladesh since the early 1990s and there are now around 400,000 in the country, where they are a source of tension between the two nations who both regard them as the other country's citizens. (stabroeknews.com)
- Rohingya refugee children in Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh, have fled violence in their homeland of Myanmar and now face coronavirus. (abc.net.au)
- About 73,000 Rohingya refugees have fled across the border from Myanmar to Bangladesh over the past week, with aid workers warning that relief camps can take no more. (telegraph.co.uk)
- Myanmar officials blamed Rohingya militants for the burning of homes and civilian deaths, but rights monitors and Rohingya fleeing to Bangladesh say the Myanmar army is trying to force them out with a campaign of arson and killings. (stabroeknews.com)
- H.T. Imam, a political adviser to Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, said other countries from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations could join Indonesia in putting pressure on fellow member Myanmar. (stabroeknews.com)
- About 210,000 Rohingya have sought refuge in Bangladesh since October, when Rohingya insurgents staged smaller attacks on security posts, triggering a major Myanmar army counter-offensive. (stabroeknews.com)
- Today there are some 100,000 Rohingya left in an area in Myanmar where there once were a little over a million, everyone else has escaped to Bangladesh," Paet added. (err.ee)
- Bangladeshi border guards said a woman lost a leg from a blast about 50 meters inside Myanmar and was carried into Bangladesh to get treatment. (reuters.com)
- The number of those crossing the border into Bangladesh - 87,000 - surpassed the number who escaped Myanmar after a series of much smaller insurgent attacks last October that set off a military operation. (reuters.com)
- Myanmar terms the Rohingya "Bengalis", a name most Rohingya reject because it implies they are immigrants from neighboring Bangladesh despite having lived in Myanmar for generations. (reuters.com)
- Rohingya refugees, who fled to Bangladesh after the Myanmar military's violent campaign against the Muslim minority group last year, are being asked to return to Myanmar, but some refugees are reluctant to leave. (waaytv.com)
- Bangladesh and Myanmar were set to start the repatriation of 2,260 Rohingya refugees to Rakhine State on Thursday, however by late afternoon no Rohingya families had volunteered to return, according to Bangladeshi authorities. (waaytv.com)
- Bangladesh has repeatedly said that no one will be forced to go back to Myanmar, but with little information given to those living in a sprawling refugee camp at Cox's Bazar, the process has been steeped in rumor, fear and uncertainty. (waaytv.com)
- More than 720,000 Rohingya fled into Bangladesh following a systematic campaign by the Myanmar military that began in August last year. (waaytv.com)
- No refugee in Bangladesh should be forced into hiding because they think they will be forced back to Myanmar. (waaytv.com)
- UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet said on Tuesday that "we are witnessing terror and panic" among the refugees "who are at imminent risk of being returned to Myanmar against their will," and she called on the Bangladesh government to halt repatriations. (waaytv.com)
- We managed to escape the shooting in Myanmar and tried to enter Bangladesh. (stabroeknews.com)
- A 25-year-old man whose relatives said he had been shot by Myanmar security forces on Friday died as he was carried to Bangladesh for treatment. (stabroeknews.com)
- After a meeting between delegations of the two countries in Dhaka on Friday, Kamal said Bangladesh has listed around 1.1 million Myanmar nationals who have crossed the border. (einnews.com)
- Myanmar Home Minister Lt Gen Kyaw Swe arrived in Dhaka yesterday afternoon on a three-day visit to Bangladesh. (einnews.com)
- Both the New York Times and the BBC had been writing extensively about the Rohingya fleeing for their lives into Bangladesh as the Myanmar Army burned down their villages in southwest Myanmar. (counterpunch.org)
- During the twenty years of military rule in Myanmar, Beijing minimized contact with Suu Kyi and the NLD out of consideration for the military government's sensitivity. (atimes.com)
- The shutdown calls into question the Myanmar government's commitment to preventing the spread of the virus, particularly in ethnic minority areas. (vice.com)
- The International Aid Effort is Still Being Hampered by the Myanmar Government's Refusal to Grant Visas. (prweb.com)
- They hide behind the arcane and ultimately destructive policy of non-interference, repeating the demonstrably false claim that the Myanmar government's persecution of Rohingya is an 'internal affair'," he wrote in the Jakarta Post on Sunday. (reuters.com)
- Phil Robertson, HRW' deputy Asia director said the ongoing internet ban demonstrates the Myanmar government's 'wanton disregard' for the lives of people in affected areas of Rakhine and Chin states. (taiwannews.com.tw)
- At least two protesters were killed Sunday in Myanmar, the latest fatalities in violent clashes between police and civilians protesting the February 1 coup. (voanews.com)
- On Saturday, Myanmar security forces and police cracked down again on anti-government protesters across the country in the face of mounting global criticism over their increasingly aggressive campaign to end the demonstrations triggered by the coup. (voanews.com)
- Protesters ran away as tear gas and live rounds were fired in northern Myanmar, according to international and local media reports. (voanews.com)
- Security forces in Myanmar cracked down heavily again on anti-coup protesters Friday even as the military downplayed reports of state violence. (yahoo.com)
- I'm worried for the refugees who are living here in tough conditions after having fled sectarian violence in Myanmar . (abc.net.au)
- The new arrivals - many sick or wounded - have strained the resources of aid agencies and communities already helping hundreds of thousands of refugees from previous spasms of violence in Myanmar. (stabroeknews.com)
- The most sensible approach would be to increase international pressure on Myanmar to the point where the country is forced to allow international organizations to enter its territory and guarantee at least basic security in the area to make it possible for some of the refugees to turn around. (err.ee)
- Rohingya refugees who fled a brutal army crackdown last year say they are terrified of going back to Myanmar, as authorities begin the process of repatriating thousands of people living in crowded refugee camps near the Bangladeshi border. (waaytv.com)
- The UN refugee agency (UNHCR), which is not facilitating returns but has assessed the willingness of those chosen to go back, said the conditions in Myanmar are not conducive for refugees to be repatriated. (waaytv.com)
- As word spread that some refugees were on a list of more than 2,000 approved by Myanmar to return, several families went into hiding, fearing they would be forced back. (waaytv.com)
- With armed conflict between the Myanmar military and Arakan Army in Rakhine State amid a pandemic, it's critical for civilians to get the information needed to stay safe. (vice.com)
- At the moment there is fighting in the north and east of Rakhine State between the Myanmar Army and the insurgent Arakan Army. (civicus.org)
Light of Myanmar6
- However, a statement from the junta about the meeting published in Tuesday's state-run Global New Light of Myanmar newspaper made no mention of the consensus statement. (yahoo.com)
- Officials from the local Defence Service said it bounced 50m and landed in a muddy area of the mine, according to the Global New Light of Myanmar newspaper. (telegraph.co.uk)
- In 1993, the Working People's Daily ( လုပ်သားပြည်သူနေ့စဉ် ), a state-run newspaper that first appeared in 1963, was renamed the New Light of Myanmar in 1989. (wikipedia.org)
- The New Light of Myanmar is often viewed as propaganda on part of the Tatmadaw and the government, and features many articles about military officials. (wikipedia.org)
- T he state-run Global New Light of Myanmar admitted on Saturday that "a total of 2,625 houses from Kotankauk, Myinlut and Kyikanpyin villages and two wards in Maungtaw were burned down. (telegraph.co.uk)
- Director-General and Spokesman of the President's Office U Zaw Htay refuted the false executive order proliferating on Facebook, which is said to have been issued by the top office, the Global New Light of Myanmar reported. (sentinelassam.com)
- B ut Rohingya human rights activists countered that at least 1,000, mainly civilians, had been massacred by government soldiers. (telegraph.co.uk)
- There was a coordination meeting of basic labour organizations, labour activists and legal experts at Myanmar Peace Center. (blogspot.com)
- U Zaw Htay, a government spokesman, said the government understands the concerns of human rights activists, but added security is a top priority in the affected areas and the government would provide all necessary help to the military to fight the insurgency. (taiwannews.com.tw)
- Repatriation is not recommended as a durable solution unless Myanmar becomes a safe place for return. (springer.com)
- One person was killed and several were wounded later Sunday in Mandalay, when security forces fired on a crowd, the Myanmar Now news portal reported. (voanews.com)
President Barack Obama1
- As for Myanmar, U.S. President Barack Obama said in a routine note to Congress last week that Washington - while not curtailing engagement with Myanmar after decades of military rule - would maintain some sanctions on the country. (reuters.com)
- President Obama meets with Myanmar President Thein Sein at the presidential palace in Naypyidaw. (latimes.com)
- A large number of Rohingya Mulisms have fled Myanmar and are seeking refuge in India following a crackdown by the military in Rakhine province. (hindustantimes.com)
- The move comes against the backdrop of a large number of Rohingya Muslims fleeing Myanmar and seeking refuge following a crackdown by the military in the Rakhine province. (hindustantimes.com)
- The government of Myanmar holds landmark peace talks with armed ethnic groups as part of efforts to bring an end to decades of conflict. (com.ng)
- The official insisted that Myanmar does not allow shadow banking to prevent conflict of interest between banks and mobile financial services. (consult-myanmar.com)
- The ominous signs of potential conflict drew attention outside Myanmar, with the U.S. reiterating that it stood with the people of Myanmar. (yahoo.com)
- The Syrian government is the only party to the conflict with helicopters and other aircraft. (hrw.org)
- CIVICUS speaks with Nay Lin Tun, a doctor and civil society humanitarian worker in Myanmar, about conflict in Rakhine State, the difficulties faced by minorities in the region, and civil society's work to provide help. (civicus.org)
- LINCANG, China-When warplanes involved in fighting over northern Myanmar streaked across the border into China, an errant bomb killed Chinese farmers and put Beijing in a bind over a conflict it has tried to avoid. (wsj.com)
- And a conflict in Rakhine state between the Buddhist majority and a Muslim minority, known as the Rohingya, has resulted in thousands of Muslims being killed or sent to detainment camps, under the eye of a government rife with prejudice. (latimes.com)
- As scholars of international relations who examine social movements, identity formation and conflict, we have studied the evolution and growth of Buddhist nationalism in Myanmar. (channelnewsasia.com)
- Myanmar Now, a local news agency reported that one neighborhood night guard was fatally shot and two others critically injured in the central city of Mogok. (voanews.com)
- The government said that 92 of these - mostly independent and ethnic news organizations - were providing "fake news. (vice.com)
- The online news site Myanmar Now also reported that 82 people had been killed, citing an unnamed source involved with charity rescue work. (yahoo.com)
- This is our stance: until all foreign forces completely withdraw from our homeland, the Islamic Emirate (the name of the Taliban's government) will not participate in any conference that shall make a decision on Afghanistan," Dr. Mohammad Naeem, the group's Qatar-based spokesman, told Arab News on Wednesday. (arabnews.com)
- He told Arab News: "The Biden administration is frustrated with the Afghan government, which is too corrupt, and the majority of American people want to end the endless Afghan war. (arabnews.com)
- The 15-member Security Council issued its first statement on Myanmar on Thursday in an attempt to pressure the military rulers - in charge of the isolated country since 1988 - to enter a dialogue with the opposition and make moves toward democratic reforms. (nownews.com)
- Reforms taken by the Myanmar government since 2011 recently led to much improved relations with the union. (err.ee)
- Faltering government reforms and raging violence against ethnic minorities have led Obama and U.S. officials to downgrade their praise for Myanmar, which recently began to emerge from years of totalitarian rule and was quickly embraced by the Obama administration. (latimes.com)
- Local government was encouraged to enter into joint ventures with private investors, and these ventures stimulated an alliance between government officials and the local rich that paralleled the infitah alliance at the national level. (wikipedia.org)
- Indonesian Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi met Suu Kyi and other officials in Myanmar on Monday, to urge a halt to the violence. (reuters.com)
- Myanmar jets have bombed and strafed Karen villages since March 27, and its army has deployed new battalions to the area, in possible preparation for a large-scale offensive. (yahoo.com)
- The army and the police have definitely increased the violence over the last couple of weeks in an attempt to get control of the situation, but the protests and the resistance continues," U.N. Resident Coordinator for Myanmar Andrew Kirkwood said. (voanews.com)
- Fortify Rights also documented and analyzed the testimony of more than 17 witnesses to rapes in October and November, and from 14 Rohingya who provided additional information related to rape committed by Myanmar army soldiers in the above villages and other villages during that period. (hrw.org)
- Witnesses and survivors of rape described to Fortify Rights how Myanmar army soldiers gang raped Rohingya women and girls in homes, schools, paddy fields, forested areas, and other community buildings, often in plain view of other soldiers and civilians. (hrw.org)
- T he government has blamed the Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army (Arsa), the insurgent group that initially launched the coordinated attacks on military checkposts one week ago. (telegraph.co.uk)
- Myanmar says its security forces are fighting a legitimate campaign against "terrorists" responsible for a string of attacks on police posts and the army since last October. (reuters.com)
- The Muslim minority is denied citizenship by the state and has been the target of festering Islamaophobia in mainly Buddhist Myanmar for years. (ndtv.com)
- State-run TV and radio issued a statement Friday arguing that conditions inside Myanmar - a reference to the anti government protests that were violently suppressed by troops on Sept. 26 and 27 - were not the concern of the outside world. (nownews.com)
- They say ongoing attacks by government troops will force them to take the offensive. (rfa.org)
- As per the agreement, the Taliban halted attacks on US-led troops but increased strikes on Afghan government forces who rely on the US for air and intelligence support, and financial and logistical resources. (arabnews.com)
- In recent months, President Ashraf Ghani's government urged Biden to withdraw troops on a condition-based agreement but not before the Taliban agreed to a ceasefire. (arabnews.com)
- In another tweet, he said: "We will respect any decision taken by the US government with regards to their troops. (arabnews.com)
- Fighting between Kokang rebels and Myanmar government troops. (wsj.com)
- The historical talks involving the largest number of ethnic armed groups came two days after leaders of 17 ethnic armed groups signed an 11-point framework agreement themselves in Laiza of the state to prepare for a nationwide ceasefire deal with the government. (philippinestoday.net)
- The ethnic armed groups' 11-point draft framework agreement, which mainly called for holding political dialogue with the government soonest after the latter promises a ceasefire with all the groups, will be presented for the two-day talks. (philippinestoday.net)
- The Myitgyina talks are expected to work out a comprehensive ceasefire paper for the final signing of a nationwide ceasefire accord between the government and the ethnic armed groups. (philippinestoday.net)
- T he foreign minister of Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim nation, flew to Myanmar for emergency talks on Sunday as the Rohingya crisis continues . (telegraph.co.uk)
- I want to repeat, this humanitarian crisis shall be ended", she told reporters in Dhaka, a day after she held talks in the Myanmar capital. (stabroeknews.com)
- Biden's new dateline also throws into doubt the future of US-backed talks in Turkey on April 24, which several observers said could be one of the final international efforts to broker peace between the insurgent group and the Afghan government. (arabnews.com)
- Fawzia Koofi, an Afghan government-appointed negotiator for the intra-Afghan talks in Qatar last year, said that Washington "needs to work with the Taliban to attend Turkey's conference. (arabnews.com)
- So our intention, it may be called, we stretched on the continuation of these reformations to the remote areas to every villages, and every persons, ensuring that we would improve our health and education, as well as social issues according to our people-centre strategy adopted by our government last month. (blogspot.com)
- She lived in Myanmar until the Myanmar military started to burn the homes in other nearby Rohingya villages. (counterpunch.org)
- Life expectancy is 56 years, 40% of all children under the age of 5 are moderately stunted, and Myanmar has more than 50% of all malaria-related deaths in Southeast Asia. (bangkokpost.com)
- In Myanmar, malaria is the number one cause of morbidity. (clinicaltrials.gov)
- MSF has implemented large malaria activities in Myanmar over the past decade. (clinicaltrials.gov)
- However, in a pilot study in Myanmar (High Frequency of Clinically Significant Bacteremia in Adults Hospitalized With Falciparum Malaria PMID: 26989752) we found that 13% of adults hospitalized with falciparum malaria were bacteremic, with bacterial co-infection suspected by clinicians in the minority. (clinicaltrials.gov)
- The study's participants will be adults hospitalized with malaria at four tertiary referral hospitals in Myanmar. (clinicaltrials.gov)
- Clean cooking is not a priority for most governments although Indonesia is doing quite well, said Vivien Foster, Global Lead for Energy Economics, Markets & Institutions, The World Bank. (ipsnews.net)
- However, there has been no sign yet of a coordinated response from regional governments over what to do with some 2,500 migrants who have landed in Malaysia and Indonesia over the past week or some 5,000 others still stranded at sea. (reuters.com)
- The government of Myanmar will continue to implement the seven-step roadmap together with the people," the statement said, referring to the junta's plan that promises a new constitution and an eventual transition to democratic rule. (nownews.com)
- Australian authorities confirmed Sunday that two of its citizens, reportedly businesspeople, were detained in Myanmar. (voanews.com)
- A visa-free movement regime (FMR) exists in the four states along the Indo-Myanmar border, under which people from both countries can stay for up to 72 hours in the area with effective and valid permits issued by the designated authorities on either side. (hindustantimes.com)
- This latest campaign of violence against Rohingya comes in the context of a long history of abuse and discrimination against Rohingya women by Myanmar authorities. (hrw.org)
- Thai authorities said they went back voluntarily after a brief stay, but aid groups say they are not safe and many remain in hiding in the jungle and in caves on the Myanmar side of the border. (yahoo.com)
- I appeal to all, all authorities in Myanmar, civilian authorities and military authorities, to indeed put an end to this violence that, in my opinion, is creating a situation that can destabilize the region," he said. (stabroeknews.com)
- M eanwhile, the head of the Myanmar armed forces, General Min Aung Hlaing, blamed the current crisis on unfinished business from World War 2, when, he claimed "Bengalis attacked, murdered and coerced" the ethnic peoples of Rakhine state from their homes. (telegraph.co.uk)
- Myanmar Airways International (MAI) is struggling as much as any airline amid the coronavirus pandemic, but chief executive Saravanan Ramasamy sees opportunity in crisis. (flightglobal.com)
- The Myanmar government continues to justify its actions on the basis of national security, but, perversely, it's the internet shutdown that's endangering lives," Matthew Bugher, ARTICLE 19's Head of Asia Programme, said in a statement. (vice.com)
- The objectives of this retrospective cohort study were to report treatment outcomes and identify factors associated with treatment failure among all retreatment tuberculosis (TB) patients registered in the public-private mix DOTS programme of Populations Services International-Myanmar over 6 years. (www.gov.uk)
- The ILO/Korea Partnership Programme has previously launched several initiatives in Myanmar and Lao PDR to strengthen the safety and health for the workers. (ilo.org)
- In partnership with the Government and the civil society, UNICEF's current focus of work aims at reducing child mortality, improving access and quality of education and protecting children from violence, abuse and exploitation. (unicef.org)
- Violence forced the Rohingya to flee Myanmar. (abc.net.au)
- White House spokesman Eric Schultz said that Washington continued to raise its concerns with Myanmar over the migrants "because of dire humanitarian and economic situations they face at home out of fear of ethnic and religious violence. (reuters.com)
- On Friday, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres strongly condemned the continuing brutality of the Myanmar military, after at least eight anti-coup demonstrators were killed in the central town of Aungban in eastern Shan state. (voanews.com)
Ethnic armed groups2
- The government side was headed by Vice Chairman of the Central Peace-Making Work Committee U Aung Min, while the 15 ethnic armed groups were represented by their leaders. (philippinestoday.net)
- A total of 17 ethnic armed groups signed an 11-point framework agreement among themselves at the closing of their four-day Conference of Leaders of Ethnic Armed Groups in the border town of Laiza, northernmost Kachin state, for further negotiation for a nationwide ceasefire with the government. (philippinestoday.net)
- The Myanmar embassy in Kuala Lumpur issues 28-day tourist visas. (wikitravel.org)
- Other protests took place overnight from Kachin state in the far north of Myanmar to the south of the country, with residents lighting hundreds of candles. (voanews.com)
- Feb.08 -- Myanmar has declared martial law in its biggest cities following a third-day of widespread street protests in an effort to stem the growing opposition to the military coup. (yahoo.com)
- Bangladesh's foreign ministry yesterday said it was concerned that thousands of "unarmed Myanmar nationals" had assembled near the border to enter the country. (stabroeknews.com)
- Malaysia, which says it has already taken in 120,000 illegal migrants from Myanmar, has made it clear that it wants no more and its deputy prime minister said on Sunday that Myanmar must now take responsibility. (reuters.com)
- A clampdown by Thailand's military junta has made a well-trodden trafficking route into Malaysia - one of Southeast Asia's wealthiest economies - too risky for criminals who prey on Rohingya fleeing oppression in Buddhist-majority Myanmar and on Bangladeshis looking for better livelihoods abroad. (reuters.com)
- Since Myanmar is a member country of the United Nations and as the government has declared it would work with the U.N., we earnestly underscore the need to urgently implement the demands made by the Security Council," the NLD said. (nownews.com)
- The United Nations has called on Southeast Asian nations not to push back the boatloads of Rohingya Muslims from Myanmar and Bangladeshis - men, women and children who fled persecution and poverty at home, and now face sickness and starvation at sea. (reuters.com)
- The United Nations said last week that the deadly pattern of migration across the Bay of Bengal would continue unless Myanmar ended discrimination. (reuters.com)
- UNICEF is committed to doing all it can to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), in partnership with governments, civil society, business, academia and the United Nations family - and especially children and young people. (unicef.org)
- Human rights organizations are now calling on the Myanmar government to lift all internet restrictions on the townships in Rakhine and Chin. (vice.com)
- The government also restricts travel to '''Kayah State, Rakhine State and Kachin state''' due to insurgent activity. (wikitravel.org)
- The stateless Rohingya have long been a persecuted minority in Myanmar that have been kept in apartheid-like conditions across Rakhine State, where they are subjected to restrictions on movement, medical care and even births . (waaytv.com)
- A Myanmar-based coalition advocating freedom of expression organized an online forum for the one-year anniversary of the shutdown, where over 150 participants stressed that people in Rakhine and Chin states cannot access health information without internet access. (taiwannews.com.tw)
- Burgener didn't specify what action she considered significant, but painted a dire picture of the military crackdown and told the council in a closed briefing that Myanmar "is on the verge of spiraling into a failed state. (yahoo.com)
- They were packing to flee when a Buddhist government official arrived in her village to reassure her and her neighbors they had nothing to worry about. (counterpunch.org)
- People protest at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi against the genocide of Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar. (hindustantimes.com)
- The Rohingya are a stateless minority group, not recognised as citizens by the Government of Myanmar. (msf.org.uk)
- Practitioners and policymakers from governments, international organizations and NGOs will benefit from its findings. (springer.com)
- The meeting follows discussions between the government and representatives of the ethnic armed organizations (EAOs) in late December. (irrawaddy.com)
- No non-government organizations came here. (reuters.com)
- Direct beneficiaries: government agencies including Factories and General Labour Law Inspection Department (FGLLID) and Social Security Board (SSB) under MOLIP in Myanmar and Department of Labour Management under MOLSW in Lao PDR and workers' and employers' organizations in the two countries. (ilo.org)
- Protecting children from air pollution also benefits their societies -with reduced health care costs, increased productivity and a safer cleaner environment for everyone," said Ms June Kunugi, UNICEF Representative to Myanmar. (unicef.org)
- UNICEF has been working with the Government and the people of Myanmar since 1950. (unicef.org)
- R esidents of a jade mining area in northern Myanmar had a lucky escape when 15ft long piece of metal, believed to be space debris or an aircraft engine, crashed from the sky. (telegraph.co.uk)