World War II
A group of islands in the southwest Pacific. Its capital is Wellington. It was discovered by the Dutch explorer Abel Tasman in 1642 and circumnavigated by Cook in 1769. Colonized in 1840 by the New Zealand Company, it became a British crown colony in 1840 until 1907 when colonial status was terminated. New Zealand is a partly anglicized form of the original Dutch name Nieuw Zeeland, new sea land, possibly with reference to the Dutch province of Zeeland. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p842 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p378)
World War I
Analog or digital communications device in which the user has a wireless connection from a telephone to a nearby transmitter. It is termed cellular because the service area is divided into multiple "cells." As the user moves from one cell area to another, the call is transferred to the local transmitter.
Deductibles and Coinsurance
Cost-sharing mechanisms that provide for payment by the insured of some portion of covered expenses. Deductibles are the amounts paid by the insured under a health insurance contract before benefits become payable; coinsurance is the provision under which the insured pays part of the medical bill, usually according to a fixed percentage, when benefits become payable.
Encyclopedias as Topic
Involuntary, forcible, rapid, jerky movements that may be subtle or become confluent, markedly altering normal patterns of movement. Hypotonia and pendular reflexes are often associated. Conditions which feature recurrent or persistent episodes of chorea as a primary manifestation of disease are referred to as CHOREATIC DISORDERS. Chorea is also a frequent manifestation of BASAL GANGLIA DISEASES.
Pierre Robin Syndrome
Congenital malformation characterized by MICROGNATHIA or RETROGNATHIA; GLOSSOPTOSIS and CLEFT PALATE. The mandibular abnormalities often result in difficulties in sucking and swallowing. The syndrome may be isolated or associated with other syndromes (e.g., ANDERSEN SYNDROME; CAMPOMELIC DYSPLASIA). Developmental mis-expression of SOX9 TRANSCRIPTION FACTOR gene on chromosome 17q and its surrounding region is associated with the syndrome.
A type of strength-building exercise program that requires the body muscle to exert a force against some form of resistance, such as weight, stretch bands, water, or immovable objects. Resistance exercise is a combination of static and dynamic contractions involving shortening and lengthening of skeletal muscles.
Systematic identification, development, organization, or utilization of educational resources and the management of these processes. It is occasionally used also in a more limited sense to describe the use of equipment-oriented techniques or audiovisual aids in educational settings. (Thesaurus of ERIC Descriptors, December 1993, p132)
RNA-Binding Protein FUS
A multifunctional heterogeneous-nuclear ribonucleoprotein that may play a role in homologous DNA pairing and recombination. The N-terminal portion of protein is a potent transcriptional activator, while the C terminus is required for RNA binding. The name FUS refers to the fact that genetic recombination events result in fusion oncogene proteins (ONCOGENE PROTEINS, FUSION) that contain the N-terminal region of this protein. These fusion proteins have been found in myxoid liposarcoma (LIPOSARCOMA, MYXOID) and acute myeloid leukemia.
Acquired and inherited conditions that feature DYSTONIA as a primary manifestation of disease. These disorders are generally divided into generalized dystonias (e.g., dystonia musculorum deformans) and focal dystonias (e.g., writer's cramp). They are also classified by patterns of inheritance and by age of onset.
The family Cervidae of 17 genera and 45 species occurring nearly throughout North America, South America, and Eurasia, on most associated continental islands, and in northern Africa. Wild populations of deer have been established through introduction by people in Cuba, New Guinea, Australia, New Zealand, and other places where the family does not naturally occur. They are slim, long-legged and best characterized by the presence of antlers. Their habitat is forests, swamps, brush country, deserts, and arctic tundra. They are usually good swimmers; some migrate seasonally. (Walker's Mammals of the World, 5th ed, p1362)
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (U.S.)
An organic amine proton acceptor. It is used in the synthesis of surface-active agents and pharmaceuticals; as an emulsifying agent for cosmetic creams and lotions, mineral oil and paraffin wax emulsions, as a biological buffer, and used as an alkalizer. (From Merck, 11th ed; Martindale, The Extra Pharmacopoeia, 30th ed, p1424)
List of subcultures
Sources for nudism:Karl Eric Toepfer (1997). Empire of Ecstasy: Nudity and Movement in German Body Culture, 1910-1935. ... see mod revival Neo-Victorian Nerd New Romantic Northern soul Nudism/Naturism Neo-Witchcraft, see also Wiccan and Pagan Otaku ...
Translated from the German. Translated by Kenneth Romanes. Vegetarian Publishing Office. 1894. Nudity portal Nudism Naturism ... A prelude to this was the book, Germany for Germans. Next was Preliminary work on Laws against the Jewish Settlement in Germany ... ISBN 978-3-11-096424-0. Williams, John Alexander (2007). Turning to Nature in Germany: Hiking, Nudism, and Conservation, 1900- ... and a publication, Antisemitic Armor of the German People's Council (in 1918 he also issued True German: News from the German ...
7 (2). Josie McLellan (March 2007). "State Socialist Bodies: East German Nudism from Ban to Boom". The Journal of Modern ... In 1926, he joined the Communist Party of Germany (KPD). During the Nazi regime, he left Germany in 1934 for Denmark and then ... Karl Maron (27 April 1903 - 2 February 1975) was a German politician, who served as the interior minister of East Germany. He ... In 1946, he became a member of the Socialist Unity Party of Germany (SED). From 1946 to 1950 he was the chief editor of daily ...
Germany published the first journal of nudism between 1902 and 1932. The wide publication of those papers, and others, ... Lempa, Heikki (2012). "Turning to Nature in Germany: Hiking, Nudism, and Conservation, 1900-1940 (review)". Journal of the ... JSTOR 20718951.CS1 maint: ref duplicates default (link) McLellan, Josie (2007). "State socialist bodies: East German nudism ... Arnd Krüger compared nudists in Germany and the United States and came to the conclusion that in Germany the racial aspects ( ...
... in German). "Sense, Berner Oberland / Schweiz". kajaktour.de (in German). v t e v t e v t e. ... Boschung, Reto (6 July 2009). "FKK neben Familien: An der Sense gehts (lit.: Nudism next to families: it works at the Sense ... The river Sense (German: Sense, French: Singine) is a right tributary of the river Saane in Switzerland. It is a border river ...
Social nudism and FKK-inspired naturism was particularly popular in East Germany, possibly because of a more secular cultural ... McLellan, Josie (2007). "State Socialist Bodies: East German Nudism from Ban to Boom". The Journal of Modern History. 79 (1): ... The German nudist movement was the first worldwide and marked the start of an increased acceptance of public nudity in Germany ... In Germany the ban against nude swimming was softened by allowing nude swimming in remote areas in 1942. In 1949, the Deutscher ...
Giles, Geoffrey J. (1992). "Nudism of the Left and Right: Gymnastics in Weimar Germany". In Jordi Monés i Pere Solà (ed.). ... Naturism, or nudism, is a cultural movement practicing, advocating, and defending personal and social nudity, most but not all ... Merrill, Frances (1932). Nudism Comes to America. New York: Alfred A. Knopf. pp. Illustration Plate following p.57. Weinberg ... An invitation-only event with naked Tango Milonga dancing was held in a small town in Germany. Starkers!, a monthly naked club ...
Nudism was brought to America by German immigrants in the 1930s. In the early 20th century, the attitudes of the general public ... Nudism (in German Freikörperkultur, "free body culture") originated in Europe in the late 19th century as part of working class ... Krüger, A.; Krüger, F.; Treptau, S. (2002). "Nudism in Nazi Germany: Indecent Behaviour or Physical Culture for the Well-Being ... Germany is known for being tolerant of public nudity in many situations. In a 2014 survey, 28% of Austrians and Germans had ...
ISBN 978-0-226-31974-2. Williams, John Alexander (2007). Turning to Nature in Germany: Hiking, Nudism, and Conservation, 1900- ... in German) Literature by and about Richard Ungewitter in the German National Library catalogue. ... After returning to Germany, he was one of the founders of a bread manufacturing facility. After that went bankrupt, he worked ... German: Die auf Nacktkultur zielende Bewegung ist jetzt eine weit verzweigte und hat, wie solche Bewegungen in der Regel, einen ...
ISBN 1-932595-11-2. John Williams: Turning to Nature in Germany: Hiking, Nudism, and Conservation, 1900-1940. Stanford ... PDF Williams, John Alexander (2007). Turning to nature in Germany : hiking, nudism, and conservation, 1900-1940. Stanford, ... The Lebensreform movement in Germany was a politically diverse social movement. There were hundreds of groups across Germany ... After 1968, Germany (and other countries) saw the growth of the so called New Social Movements such as the students' movement, ...
History of alternative medicine
19-21 Williams, John Alexander (2007). Turning to nature in Germany : hiking, nudism, and conservation, 1900-1940. Stanford, ... Amongst the German states the top physicians were academically qualified and typically attached to medical colleges associated ... Zalver means a person who uses ointments to heal (from zalven to rub with ointment). In sixteenth-century Germany the term ... This chord vibrates again and again in the same register, which can best be characterized by the German word Geborgenheit, ...
Krüger, A.; Krüger, F.; Treptau, S. (2002). "Nudism in Nazi Germany: Indecent Behaviour or Physical Culture for the Well-being ... Williams, John Alexander (2007). Turning to Nature in Germany: Hiking, Nudism, and Conservation, 1900-1940. Stanford University ... Jefferies, Matthew (2006). "'For a genuine and noble nakedness'? German naturism in the Third Reich". German History. 24 (1): ... German nudists generally were mildly harassed by the Nazis during 1933/4, but by 1933 the Kampfring für völkische ...
Williams, John (2007). Turning to Nature in Germany: Hiking, Nudism, and Conservation, 1900-1940 Alexander. Stanford University ... Laqueur, Walter (1984). Young Germany: A History of the German Youth Movement. Routledge. ISBN 978-1351470827. Savage, John ( ... While reminding the "German nature of the Wandervogel", they let each group decide on the question of Jewish membership; the ... Before World War II, in a context of cordial relations with Germany, and in an effort to promote healthy activities for young ...
"Feist" (in German). SK Stiftung Kultur. Archived from the original on 19 February 2014. Retrieved 19 February 2014. CS1 maint: ... She established her own school in Berlin, combining gymnastics with nudism and dance. In the 1930s, her ambitions were ... Thereafter she joined Rudolf von Laban, following him to various locations in the north of Germany and participating in his ... In 1928, Feist toured with the Novembergruppe, presenting her Der Berufung in Germany, Poland, Switzerland and England. Her ...
Friends of Nature
John Alexander Williams (2007) Turning to Nature in Germany: Hiking, Nudism, and Conservation, 1900-1940. Stanford University ... It is also known as Naturfreunde (German), Les Amis de la Nature (French), Amici della Natura (Italian), La Naturamikoj ( ... In the 1970s a group of young members of four Naturefriends' organisations (Germany, Austria, Switzerland and the Netherlands) ... The organisation was officially funded in 1975 with the first Secretary General Jochem Zimmer from Germany. The International ...
"Nudism the radical tradition". Archived from the original on 2012-09-11. "El movimiento libertario en Italia". Archived from ... This back-to-nature, primitivist current was not a monopoly of the left; the same interests were echoed by right-wing Germans ... Nutritional concerns coincided with other means of encouraging health bodies, such as nudism and gymnastics. For a while in the ... Anarcho-naturism also promotes an ecological worldview, small ecovillages, and most prominently nudism as a way to avoid the ...
Imperium (Kracht novel)
... a German who in the early 20th century founded a religious order in German New Guinea based on nudism and a diet consisting ... While garnering ridicule in Germany, Lützow's letters nevertheless entice a group of young, ill-prepared Germans to embark for ... CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) Publicity page at the German publisher's website (in German) Publicity page at the ... Fleeing the persecution he endured for his peculiarities, Engelhardt travels from Germany to the Bismarck Archipelago in German ...
Nudity in film
Another film from Germany, Liane, Jungle Goddess (1956), featured Marion Michael as a topless female variant on the Tarzan ... Throughout the thirties, nudist films like Why Nudism? (1933), Nudist Land (1937), and The Unashamed (1938) flourished in road ... In 2017, the Japanese-German film Berlin Drifters, directed by Japanese film director Kôichi Imaizumi, tells the story of two ... and the Franco-German production Story of O (1975) by Just Jaeckin, the Franco-Japanese production In the Realm of the Senses ( ...
List of social nudity places in Europe
... especially in the former East Germany, where nudism remains more widespread than in the west. Many unregulated clothing ... in German). 29 September 2017. "Pleschinger See". Nudist Compass. "Servus Du" [Welcome]. Naturistenpark Lobau (in German). ... Although nudism is not illegal, it is preferable to practice it on beaches meant for that specific purpose. This is a list of ... Also on Sulina and Sfântu Gheorghe, Tulcea (Danube Delta) there are a few wild beaches used for nudism. The cold baths in the ...
History of nudity
Krüger, A.; Krüger, F.; Treptau, S. (2002). "Nudism in Nazi Germany: Indecent Behaviour or Physical Culture for the Well-Being ... Black, Pamela (2014). "Nudism". In Forsyth, Craig J.; Copes, Heith (eds.). Encyclopedia of Social Deviance. SAGE Publications. ... Barcan, Ruth (2015). "Nudism". In Patricia Whelehan; Anne Bolin (eds.). The International Encyclopedia of Human Sexuality. ... "Nudism". Grinnell University: Subcultures and Sociology. Retrieved 17 November 2019. "Male Nude Swimming". Historical Archives ...
Individualist anarchism in France
This back-to-nature, primitivist current was not a monopoly of the left; the same interests were echoed by right-wing Germans ... Nutritional concerns coincided with other means of encouraging health bodies, such as nudism and gymnastics. For a while in the ... Marburg, Germany, September 18-21, 2003 The "Illegalists" Archived September 8, 2015, at the Wayback Machine, by Doug Imrie ( ... German individualist philosophers Max Stirner and Friedrich Nietzsche were influential in French individualist anarchism. The ...
"Nudism the radical tradition" by Terry Phillips Archived 2012-09-11 at archive.today "Los anarco-individualistas, G.I.A ... Una ... This back-to-nature, primitivist current was not a monopoly of the left; the same interests were echoed by right-wing Germans ... Winter 2003 "Anarchism - Nudism, Naturism" by Carlos Ortega at Asociacion para el Desarrollo Naturista de la Comunidad de ... Nutritional concerns coincided with other means of encouraging health bodies, such as nudism and gymnastics. For a while in the ...
Inside the Whale
Germany means films, nudism, and psychoanalysis - but not Hitler, of whom hardly anyone had heard until 1931. In cultured ...
Nudity in religion
... "holy nudism", engaging in common worship in the nude. During the Middle Ages, the doctrines of this obscure sect were revived: ... by the Beghards in Germany. Everywhere, they met with firm opposition from the mainstream churches. A religious sect in Canada ...
North Frisian Islands
Frisia German Bight List of islands of Denmark List of islands of Germany Wernicke, Klaus; Riecken, Guntram (1992). ... In the summer months the island is crowded with tourists, including those who have a preference for nudism. Sylt's image is ... After the German-Danish wars, the islands from Nordstrand to Rømø became Prussian in 1866. After the referendum in 1920, the ... Wyk is a popular German seaside resort. There is no bridge or causeway connecting Föhr and the mainland, so ferries are the ...
History of modern Western subcultures
Social nudism in the form of private clubs and campgrounds first appeared in the United States in the 1930s. In Canada, it ... In Germany, from 1896, there developed a movement of young men (and later young women) which focused on freedom and natural ... The German nudist movement gained prominence in the 1920s, but was suppressed during the Nazi Gleichschaltung after Adolf ... The first known organized club for nudists, Freilichtpark (Free-Light Park), was opened near Hamburg, Germany, in 1903. In ...
It is used as a recreational area and is known as a site of nudism. There is also an oil harbour, and the Austrian Army used ... The Lobau (German pronunciation: [loˈbaʊ̯] (listen)) is a Vienna floodplain on the northern side of the Danube in Donaustadt ... CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) "Servus Du" [Welcome]. Naturistenpark Lobau (in German). Retrieved 7 June 2019. "Lobau ...
Henry S. Huntington
Defense of Nudism. R.M. McBride Company. 1958. Cabbage Philosophy. Hong Kong. 1969. ASIN B0178OKLMW. ENNIS, THOMAS W. (17 ... His interest continued after later trips to Britain, France and, a further visit to Germany. In 1929, he joined the American ... "Nudism advocate dies at 99". Gettysburg Times. 17 February 1981. p. 2. Drew, Bernard A. (2012). Henry Knox and the ... This statement became the American nudist movement's statement on the meaning and philosophy of nudism. In 1931, Huntington was ...
... of World War I Cinema of Germany Critical Theory Culture of Germany Dada Degenerate art Expressionism Futurism Germany German ... Nacktkultur, called naturism or modern nudism in English, was pioneered by Karl Wilhelm Diefenbach in Vienna in the late 1890s ... Germany was slowly becoming more urban and middle class. Still, by 1925, only a third of Germans lived in large cities; the ... German expressionism was not the dominant type of popular film in Weimar Germany and were outnumbered by the production of ...
History of Hamburg
The German constituent states were replaced in 1935 by regional districts (German: Gau) led by Nazi Party officials who obeyed ... the world's first organised club for social and family nudism, Freilichtpark (Free-Light Park) was opened in Hamburg. It was ... The first description of civil, criminal and procedural law for a city in Germany in German language, the Ordeelbook (Ordeel: ... Hamburg became a member of the North German Confederation (1866-71), the German Empire (1871-1918), while in 1888 it was one of ...
... nudism, various forms of spirituality, free love, exercise and other outdoors activity, and foods that it judged were more " ... who was influenced as a young man by the German Lebensreform movement, which saw civilization as corrupt and which sought to go ...
Women in dance
"Feist" (in German). SK Stiftung Kultur. Retrieved 19 February 2014.. *^ "Gret Palucca" (in German). Akademie der Künste. ... She established her own school in Berlin, combining gymnastics with nudism and dance although her ambitions were later ... The German Mary Wigman is credited as the creator of expressionist dance. Inspired by Oriental percussion, she often stressed ... Italian-born Virginia Zucchi (1849-1933) first danced in Italy and Germany but her interpretations of Marius Petipa's ballet in ...
Merrill, Frances (1932). Nudism Comes to America. New York: Alfred A. Knopf. pp. Illustration Plate following p.57.. ...
At first it was occupied by the Kingdom of Italy (June 1941 - September 1943) and then by Nazi Germany (September 1943 - ... The following are beaches accessible by road or trail: Staphylos, Velanio (official nudism beach since 2011), Agnondas, ... Ivan Rebroff, the German singer, owned a villa on the island and became an honorary citizen. ...
The commune (named Rai or Raiu, "paradise"), was reportedly designed by a Bessarabian German, and divided along three streets. ... nudism, sacred prostitution, group sex and alcohol abuse. The newspaper also reports that Barbă Roșie's promotion to the rank ...
George J. Drews
George Julius Drews (January 20, 1873 - October 17, 1945) was a German American naturopath and writer associated with the ... including nudism. Bristle went back to live with her mother Katharina who was concerned about her health. She weighed 135 ...
Gerald Gardner (Wiccan)
Through nudism, Gardner made a number of notable friends, including James Laver (1899-1975), who became the Keeper of Prints ... From Palestine, Gardner went to Turkey, Greece, Hungary, and Germany. He eventually reached England, but soon went on a visit ... Continuing his interest in nudism, in 1945 he purchased a plot of land in Fouracres, a nudist colony near to the village of ... The very next day, Britain declared war on Germany, greatly unimpressing the increasingly cynical Gardner. Alongside ...
It is the organized by the German Volleyball Association and each season ends with the German Beach Volleyball Championships. ... Nudism wing p. 57. Weinberg, M. S. (1967). "The Nudist Camp: Way of Life and Social Structure". Human Organization. 26 (3): 91- ... "Die Techniker Beach Tour 2018 mit drei neuen Tourorten" (in German). German Volleyball Association. 19 February 2018. Retrieved ... In Germany, the Techniker Beach Tour, previously known as the Smart Beach Tour, is the top domestic tour and is FIVB-approved. ...
Yoga in the United States
The social historian Sarah Schrank comments that it made perfect sense to combine nudism and yoga, as "both were exercises in ... Yoga in Britain Yoga in Germany Yoga in Russia Farmer 2012. Goldberg 2013, pp. 26-46. Syman 2010, pp. 11-14, 20-25. Syman 2010 ...
Martin Dies Jr.
Its work was supposed to be aimed mostly at German American involvement in Nazi and Ku Klux Klan activity, such as the German ... Hartman, William E. (1970). Nudist society: an authoritative, complete study of nudism in America. New York: Crown. p. 21. ... Parmelee was indeed an advocate for gymnosophy, a form of asceticism originated by two German nudist activists, but its ...
Robert A. Heinlein
He was also a nudist; nudism and body taboos are frequently discussed in his work. At the height of the Cold War, he built a ... He was a sixth-generation German-American; a family tradition had it that Heinleins fought in every American war, starting with ...
List of Nazi ideologues
Jakob Wilhelm Hauer (1881-1962), German Indologist and religious studies writer. He was the founder of the German Faith ... Schertel, whose interests were flagellation, dance, occultism, nudism and BDSM, had also been active as an activist for sexual ... Alfred Baeumler (1887-1968), German philosopher in Nazi Germany. He was a leading interpreter of Friedrich Nietzsche's ... German race researcher and eugenicist in the Weimar Republic and Nazi Germany, also known as "Rassengünther" (Race Günther) or ...
Occultism in Nazism
Hans-Jürgen Syberberg's Hitler - Ein Film aus Deutschland (Hitler, A Film From Germany) (1977). Originally presented on German ... Schertel, whose interests were flagellation, dance, occultism, nudism and BDSM, had also been active as an activist for sexual ... in German) In: Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke: Die okkulten Wurzeln des Nationalsozialismus. Graz, Austria: Stocker (German edition ... Other reliable summaries of the development of the genre have been written by German historians. The German edition of The ...
Turning to Nature in Germany: Hiking, Nudism, and Conservation, 1900-1940 (Stanford University Press, 2007) p. 193 "Peasants of ... Ernst Thälmann, former Presidential candidate in the 1932 German elections and leader of the German Communist Party, was ... "GERMANS LIMIT BOYCOTT TO ONE DAY AS 'WARNING'", Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, April 1, 1933, p. 1 Peter Hoffmann, German Resistance ... "Patriotic Society of National German Jews" stated that the reports were "foreign attempts to blackmail Germany". Ādolfs ...
Outline of anarchism
Nudism, Naturism" by Carlos Ortega "In many of the alternative communities established in Britain in the early 1900s nudism, ... person's struggle against intolerance and repression during the early 20th century homosexual emancipation movement in Germany ... and most prominently nudism as a way to avoid the artificiality of the industrial mass society of modernity. Anarcho- ... Nudism, Naturism" by Carlos Ortega at Asociacion para el Desarrollo Naturista de la Comunidad de Madrid. Published on Revista ...
... is a municipality in Bavaria, Germany, located near Munich. In 2016 it had 16,770 inhabitants. Near Ismaning there is ... is a pond and when you bicycle a bit wider you can get to the Feringasee and there is clear water and a half-island for nudism ... in German). July 2020. Media related to Ismaning at Wikimedia Commons Ismaning travel guide from Wikivoyage v t e. ...
Hideout in the Sun
Line as Paul Walter Film as Rodriquez List of American films of 1960 Nudity in film Article on Doris Wishman in German Hideout ... Dorothy spend the afternoon mingling with the camp's patrons and Steve grows increasingly fond of both Dorothy and of nudism. ...
On the two outlying beaches of Tertsa, nudism is tolerated by the authorities. Myrtos is also the location for two Minoan ... On September 15, 1944, during the Second World War, the inhabitants of Myrtos were ordered by the Nazi-German occupiers to ...
History of erotic depictions
Archaeologists in Germany reported in April 2005 that they had found what they believe is a 7,200-year-old scene depicting a ... Historically, this exception was used in an attempt to ban information about sex education, studies on nudism, and sexually ... The German film Am Abend (1910) is "a ten-minute film which begins with a woman masturbating alone in her bedroom, and ...
Culture of East Germany
Popular culture specialities included among others a high popularity of nudism in Eastern Germany. In the 1950s the officially ... German available) RFE/RL East German Subject Files: Culture Open Society Archives, Budapest East German Propaganda. ... In East Germany the movie industry was very active. Besides folk movies, the East German movie industry became known worldwide ... On a more traditional level, the East German government celebrated the fact that Johann Sebastian Bach was born in East German ...
FKK-Museum (German) A collection of Lotte Herrlich's postcards and other photographs (FKK-Museum) Library reference German site ... He would become a professional photographer of nudism too. The two volumes of Seliges Nacktsein (1927) are collection of ... Lotte Herrlich (1883-1956) was a German photographer. She is regarded as the most important female photographer of the German ... This mainly was during the 1920s, in which the Freikorperkultur (Free Body Culture) was popular within Germany, before the Nazi ...
Buchman kept in close touch with his German colleagues, and felt compelled to attempt to reach the Nazi leaders in Germany, and ... Beverley Nichols stated "And all that business about telling one's sins in public... It is spiritual nudism!" However Cuthbert ... feeling that to do so would endanger his friends among the opposition in Germany. During the war, the Oxford Group in Germany ... "Germany has come under the domination of a terrible demonic power. A counter-action is absolutely necessary." As study of ...
10 Brutal Dictatorships With Surprising Upsides - Listverse
10 East Germany Encouraged Nudism. If you were over 16 in 2003, you might remember a little film called The Lives of Others. It ... Basically, it was nudism, and while freedom-loving West Germany was kind of uncomfortable with it, the repression-loving GDR ... The film won an Oscar for its gritty, realistic portrayal of life in the German Democratic Republic (GDR), but it missed out ... In the immediate aftermath of World War II, a movement known as "free body culture" took off across Germany. ...
List of subcultures - Wikipedia
Heinrich Pudor - Wikipedia
Translated from the German. Translated by Kenneth Romanes. Vegetarian Publishing Office. 1894. Nudity portal Nudism Naturism ... A prelude to this was the book, Germany for Germans. Next was Preliminary work on Laws against the Jewish Settlement in Germany ... ISBN 978-3-11-096424-0. Williams, John Alexander (2007). Turning to Nature in Germany: Hiking, Nudism, and Conservation, 1900- ... and a publication, Antisemitic Armor of the German Peoples Council (in 1918 he also issued True German: News from the German ...
In Germany, in particular, nudism had become a mass movement. Historical precedents, for instance the athletes in classical ... From the mid-1950s club members began to use the term naturism rather than nudism, in an attempt to make the movement more ... Emerging in Europe and North America in the 1920s, nudism - later known as naturism - was taken up by New Zealanders in the ... Nudism for children. Nudists believed that children particularly benefited from the lifestyle. Sex education was ...
Steve Sailer: iSteve: World War T funding becoming available
German nudism is also a northern/eastern phenomenon. Not sick and perverted, but still violating taboos seen even in primitive ... Nudism was particularly popular in East Germany, possibly because of a more secular cultural development.. I wouldnt blame ... Or for instance the German penchant for nudism, sure theres naked people but its really pretty tame stuff and not all that ... Granted, Im not that familiar with German culture, but the Germans Ive met have generally seemed fairly wholesome. Possibly ...
The Santa Fe Papers
I think other things are likely, not dictatorship in Germany and/or Japan. But if Europe destabilizes (not because of German ... Anita Berber s public nudism and fornication; the emergence of autogenic training out of the psychophysiologic brain research ... But, (and here is my real twist on this story) the German psyche had already turned the corner on embracing the new world view ... Since the German people most constellated the phase transition to a new identity construct, necessitated by the scientific- ...
Women in dance - Wikipedia
"Feist" (in German). SK Stiftung Kultur. Retrieved 19 February 2014.. *^ "Gret Palucca" (in German). Akademie der Künste. ... She established her own school in Berlin, combining gymnastics with nudism and dance although her ambitions were later ... The German Mary Wigman is credited as the creator of expressionist dance. Inspired by Oriental percussion, she often stressed ... Italian-born Virginia Zucchi (1849-1933) first danced in Italy and Germany but her interpretations of Marius Petipas ballet in ...
Ann Wigmore - Wikipedia
Physical culture | Britannica
... or nudism), instituted in 1903 in Germany, was a controversial offshoot of this same search for health and freedom from the ... Germans were also instrumental in founding Americas first athletic club in New York City in 1868. What popularized physical ... The earliest sustained effort was the Philanthropinum, a German Gymnasium ("school") founded by Johann Basedow in Dessau in ... By this time, European physical culture traditions were taking root in America, particularly among German American immigrants. ...
International Nude Day
But many naturists are aware that nudism and naturism as currently understood originated in Europe - mainly in Germany - around ... The History of Nudism: Europe. People have lived much of their lives happily naked for as long as there have been humans. ... France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Croatia, and even England, are names that quickly come to mind. But … Ireland? Apparently it ... The owners know that their home business has become a gateway for many who are curious about social nudism, and who try it for ...
Franz Kafka Archives - Mantex
Filed Under: Franz Kafka Tagged With: Amerika, Franz Kafka, German literature, Literary studies, Metamorphosis, Modernism, The ... he went swimming and followed the vogue for nudism; he had his fair share of sexual affairs, and he supplemented those with ... Filed Under: Franz Kafka, The Novella Tagged With: Franz Kafka, German literature, Literary studies, Metamorphosis, Modernism, ... Franz Kafka (1883-1924) was born in Prague, at a time when it was the centre of Jewish, German-speaking Bohemia, in the heart ...
Body Culture | Encyclopedia.com
Before the Nazis took power in Germany, life reformers (propagators of alternative forms of living) promoted nudism as part of ... The high-ranking German sports official and acting director of the German University of Physical Exercise (Deutsche Hochschule ... In Nazi Germany the SA (Sturmabteilung) sports medal gave millions of German males an incentive to work on their individual ... The Cult of Health and Beauty in Germany: A Social History, 1890-1930. Chicago, 2003. ...
Why Does Germany Love Being Naked?
But to many in Teutonic speaking countries, the idea of Germans and nudity is synonymous. Its a common idea that the… ... When you mention German nudes, Dürers portraits of Rubenesque women lounging au natural rather than naked hiking comes to mind ... Its a common idea that the very origin of nudism comes from Germany, ushered in as part of the 19th century movement of FKK ( ... Nudity seems to be so ingrained in German popular culture that recently there have been plans to start an all-nude German hotel ...
Offbeat Europe by Rick Steves
The TLS blog
... and some are still called upon during the current German obsession with "overwork". Being "burned out" in Germany today, ... Nudism, muesli and yoga were all innovative responses to national tiredeness at the time, ... Born in New York and educated in Germany, Speyer was a financier who became a British citizen in 1892; he went on to become a ... Speyer was also, however, a notable victim of the anti-German prejudice that had been building up for many years before the ...
Defining psychopathy - Big Think
There were separate beaches for women and for men.,/p,,p,In the 1950s, nudism got a new lease of life in the West, and this ... Once we went to look at the East German girls, obviously, and all of a sudden a clothed one comes onto the beach. And shes got ... Hell, those East German beauties! At that time the Bulgarians didnt sunbathe nude as often as today. Basically, that fashion ... They sit in the café and were here, the other side of the unspoken border.,/p,,p,But their experience with nudism didnt ...
Visual Resources Center Digital Image Collection
Veterans & Nudism | American Association for Nude Recreation
But Ill never forget those days in Germany where I first discovered how liberating social nudism was. ... Veterans & Nudism. Young Disabled Vet Finds Peace Within Nudism. I began as a lone naturist as a teen, but after joining the US ... Nudism has long been a part of my life, and it always will be. I cant think of a better way to relax, de-stress, and find the ... In the 1960s my dad was assigned to Rhein Mein AFB in Germany. As a young teenager, I spent many weekends at the Rhine river ...
Search Results for 'Images from the History of Medicine (IHM)' 'German' 'Pictorial Works'
August 9, 2011
NUDISM ISNT TAKING OFF:. Naturism is becoming less popular in Germany and that may be because … people are getting too fat. ... The president of Germanys Free Body Culture Association says the number of nudists is falling by 2% per year. He blames it on ... However, a 70-year-old nudist disagrees, claiming the rise in German prosperity means a lot of people are chubbier and cant ...
Nudist Ornaments - CafePress
Deutschland und die Ostmark: 22-Sep-2013
Diefenbach was a pioneer of nudism and the peace movement. His country commune in Vienna (1897-1899) was one of the models for ... Deutschland - A Brief History to 1945. DEUTSCHLAND (Germany) A region named Germania, inhabited by several Germanic peoples, ... The German highway must be an expression of its surrounding landscape and an expression of the German essence.". Seifert, ... The same was true for leaders of German Scouting, so both movements started to influence each other heavily in Germany.. ...
unconsciousness in a sentence
German Translation of "unconsciousness" , The official Collins English-German Dictionary online. 14 examples: It gives the ... Moral Bath of Bodily Unconsciousness: Female Nudism, Bodily Exposure and the Gaze.". Limp posture and a brief period of ... Over 100,000 German translations of English words and phrases. Power relations can not be addressed if the unconscious is ... Her towards unconsciousness german Translation of " unconsciousness " unconsciousness in a sentence the official Collins ...
Altruistic World Online Library • View topic - Freda Bedi, by Wikipedia
Nudism. Gardiner published in his maiden issue of Youth in June 1923, a first-hand account of The Cult of Nakedness in Germany ... 7, for the inauguration of the House of German Education. 5. Benjamin Ortmeyer: Nazi ideology in the NSLB journal The German ... German Youth Movement) and its anti-scientific outlook. He debated the German Youth Movement in 1934 with Leslie Paul, in ... Studies and Documentaries on the History of German Education 19), Beltz, Weinheim 1981.. • Monika Meister: German educator! ...
Hasting's First World Naked Bike Ride, 2014 #WNBR | Socks off
Czech Republic - Wikitravel
Nudism/Naturism. Czech culture is rather impartial to topless sunbathing and nudism in general, with most locals not ... From Germany. Between Germany and Czech Republic are 3 long-distance train lines and many regional train lines in ... From the 11th to the 14th century, massive ethnic German colonization, known in German as the Ostsiedlung, occurred in the then ... With the areas German inhabitants expelled in at the end of World War II, as well as being part of the Czechoslovak-West ...
Cleanliness | Encyclopedia.com
German, and English. De balneis comprises a directory of Italian and German mineral baths and a summary of classical and ... nudism), antivivisectionism, cold-water drinking and teetotalism, and the temperance movement. Dissenters were also prominent ... The Foul and the Fragrant: Odor and the French Social Imagination. Leamington Spa, U.K., New York, and Berg, Germany, 1986. ... The pioneer German sociological historian Norbert Elias started in the 1930s to trace the development of the psychology of ...
A possible dialogue between analytical psychology and complementary and alternative medicine
Excerpts reprinted from Children of the Sun; A Pictorial Anthology From Germany To California, 1883-1949, by G. Kennedy, Ed., ... nudism, vegetarianism, natural medicine, garden towns, health food and economic reform, soil reform and sexual reform. In the ... Benedict Lust and German psychedelic painter Fidus. Some of the values and life style trends practiced there were linked to the ...
- Rejoice in the Future was the first German book about naturism. (wikipedia.org)
- 1894. Nudity portal Nudism Naturism Carr-Gomm, Philip (2012). (wikipedia.org)
- Emerging in Europe and North America in the 1920s, nudism - later known as naturism - was taken up by New Zealanders in the 1930s. (teara.govt.nz)
- Naturism, previously known as nudism, is an organised movement of people who want to enjoy the outdoors and socialise with other like-minded people, without having to wear clothes. (teara.govt.nz)
- From the mid-1950s club members began to use the term naturism rather than nudism, in an attempt to make the movement more publicly acceptable. (teara.govt.nz)
- For organised nudism or 'naturism' was a conscious movement initiated by Europeans at the end of the 19th century that has exerted a significant influence over society and politics in the wider world. (history.ac.uk)
- AS NATURE INTENDED Naturism, nudism…it seemed the same to me. (naturistdigest.com)
- I began as a lone naturist as a teen, but after joining the US Air Force I decided to try social nudism. (aanr.com)
- Empire of Ecstasy: Nudity and Movement in German Body Culture, 1910-1935. (wikipedia.org)
- But to many in Teutonic speaking countries, the idea of Germans and nudity is synonymous. (flavorwire.com)
- Nudity seems to be so ingrained in German popular culture that recently there have been plans to start an all-nude German hotel . (flavorwire.com)
- Though nudity is accepted and embraced by German culture, neighboring countries seem to take offense to the sight of these bare European bottoms. (flavorwire.com)
- Austria is also seeking to implement a similar plan, which raises the question, what is it about the German psyche which seeks public nudity? (flavorwire.com)
- German spa culture requires nudity in the saunas. (naturistdigest.com)
- From time immemorial, Czechs, Germans, Jews and Slovaks, as well as Italian stonemasons and stucco workers, French tradesmen and deserters from Napoleon's army, have all lived and worked here, all influencing one another. (wikitravel.org)
- Heinrich Pudor (31 August 1865 in Loschwitz (near Dresden) - 22 December 1943 in Leipzig) was a German Volkish-nationalist pundit and a pioneer of nudist culture in Germany. (wikipedia.org)
- New Zealanders were encouraged to take up nudism by the many books and magazines produced by the European and North American nudist movements from the 1920s. (teara.govt.nz)
- Nudism on the island commenced with the opening of the first public nudist beach only two years earlier. (swarojgartalimkendra.com)
- The Brucke art movement, a Pre-World War I group of German Expressionists, were also avid nudists - using the freeing of their bodies to also free their art. (flavorwire.com)
- In the 1920s, the German physical culture propagator Hans Surén claimed that the nude display of physical prowess would easily silence achievers in other areas of life by making them painfully aware of their physical deficiencies. (encyclopedia.com)
- A new cold war was recently in the news between Baltic-Sea nude German swimmers and their Polish beachmates , who bemoaned an unforeseen consequence to the opening of borders in the past few years to the Schengen Agreement. (flavorwire.com)
- Perhaps by being nude in such a public way Germans aren't just expressing their need to be open and free, but also a way of showing the world they are now able to do so. (flavorwire.com)
- Cap d'Agde is much more than just a nude beach: it is the "World Capital of Nudism. (matadornetwork.com)
- Dress is informal but nudism and topless bathing is prohibited. (wordtravels.com)
- Laurence Scott looks at the rise of vegetarianism, a basic income, world peace and nudism. (bbc.co.uk)
- The country was annexed and brutally occupied by Germany during the war. (wikitravel.org)
- English is widely spoken in addition to German, French, Italian and Japanese, spoken by the resort staff. (wordtravels.com)
- In order to achieve this, they began to live communally, advocating nudism and free love and the rejection of marriage and property ownership. (dismalgarden.com)
- From the 11th to the 14th century, massive ethnic German colonization, known in German as the Ostsiedlung , occurred in the then-underpopulated borders of the kingdom. (wikitravel.org)
- During the interwar years, the new country's leaders were frequently preoccupied with meeting the demands of other ethnic minorities within the republic, most notably the Sudeten Germans and the Hungarians. (wikitravel.org)
- After World War II, Czechoslovakia expelled most of its Germans by force and many of the ethnic Hungarians under direction of the Potsdam Conference. (wikitravel.org)
- Everyone in pre-unification East Germany liked nothing more than to get totally, publicly naked. (listverse.com)
- In the 1930's, surgeon Niehans became increasingly interested in endocrinology while serving as head of staff at one of the renowned hospitals in Germany/Switzerland. (recentlyheard.com)
- A prelude to this was the book, Germany for Germans. (wikipedia.org)
- Prior to that a German airline had begun to book passengers for the first ever clothing-optional flights . (flavorwire.com)
- C-Reactive Protein( CRP) applications were treated with a heavy DNA with CardioPhase book from Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics( Marburg, Germany). (fourpawspetresort.ca)
- In the immediate aftermath of World War II, a movement known as "free body culture" took off across Germany. (listverse.com)
- After his imprisonment among socialists and communists, Pudor published many autobiographical writings in which he portrayed himself as a pioneer of the German nationalist movement. (wikipedia.org)
- Handbuch zur "Völkischen Bewegung" 1871-1918 [Handbook for the folk movement] (in German). (wikipedia.org)
- In Germany, in particular, nudism had become a mass movement. (teara.govt.nz)
- It's a common idea that the very origin of nudism comes from Germany, ushered in as part of the 19th century movement of FKK (Freikoerperkultur) - free body culture. (flavorwire.com)
- He is one of the main founders of German nationalism and the movement for German unification. (blogspot.com)
- Ernst Moritz Arndt (26 December 1769 - 29 January 1860) was a German patriotic author and poet. (blogspot.com)
- De Liefde ', use memory R. Rijksen way in 1904 als apotheek, detail in Art nudism, connection in de bocht van de Voorstraat naar de Neude en author activity information van de widget server requested Neude. (octavachamberorchestra.com)
- In the current world, English most often serves the function as an auxiliary language, with French, Spanish, German, Hindustani (Hindi/Urdu), Arabic, Malay, and Russian often serving as well, even between populations that do not normally speak these languages or any related ones. (rationalwiki.org)
- SieWe always think that in Germany everyone speaks English perfectly and we can communicate without a problem. (europamundoblog.com)
- Only a few people speak English at the German capital. (europamundoblog.com)
- I am German, therefore my English is sometimes faulty. (blogspot.com)
- Test results are available within 30 minutes in one of the following languages: Croatian, English, German, Italian and Slovenian. (rab-visit.com)
- Next was Preliminary work on Laws against the Jewish Settlement in Germany and a publication, Antisemitic Armor of the German People's Council (in 1918 he also issued True German: News from the German People's Council. (wikipedia.org)
- Weimar Germany was most congenial because Germanic cultural traditions and predispositions most resonated with the basic principles of the emerging new world view. (oocities.org)
- Born during World War II in a German village, having food and a bed were luxuries. (cnn.com)
- He has also had his research featured in outlets as diverse as the BBC World Service, Channel 4, the Guardian, and the Daily Mail (UK), Fox News (USA), the Gleaner (Jamaica), the Times of India and Ireland, and De Telegraaf (Germany). (gold.ac.uk)
- However, the nation was very blessed in the fact that it emerged from the war more or less physically intact as it avoided the fate of the massive air bombardments and invasions that leveled most of the historic neighboring cities in Germany, Austria, Poland and Belarus. (wikitravel.org)
- Thanks, Ilse, for your observations on the newspaper article concerning French fears of a resurgent Germany, particularly the comments on how closely politics is followed by people in Germany. (oocities.org)
- Early in his life, he fought for the abolition of serfdom, later against Napoleonic dominance over Germany, and had to flee to Sweden for some time due to his anti-French positions. (blogspot.com)
- Co-operating magazines in French and German followed edited by Adolphe Ferrière fr:Adolphe Ferrière and Elisabeth Rotten de:Elisabeth Rotten respectively. (rapeutation.com)
- Though it's been twenty years since the Berlin Wall fell, when walking around the city you still get the sense that Germans want to rebel against the enforced conformity they, more so than almost any other country in the region, were under for most of the 20th century. (flavorwire.com)
- Although the city is full of bear sculptures, which is Bär in German (pronounced Ber) the name of Berlin has nothing to do with this. (europamundoblog.com)
- In circumstances of a destabilized Europe, I do not believe Germany will find her interests to be those of France and Britain -- not because she will choose dictatorship over democracy, but because of matters much more fundamental. (oocities.org)
- It is called Tiergarten park and the most curious thing is that in summer two specific areas are enabled for … nudism! (europamundoblog.com)
- Nudism, denoted in German by the code letters 'F.K.K.,' is perfectly legal and widely practiced here - quite a spectacle to most Americans (they're the ones riding their rental bikes into the river and trees). (ricksteves.com)
- In 1867 the German zoologist Ernst Haeckel coined the term 'ecology' and began to establish it as a scientific discipline dedicated to studying the interactions between organism and environment. (blogspot.com)
- The German chemist Emil Fischer did much of the basic work on purines and introduced the term into the chemical literature in the early 20th cent. (thefreedictionary.com)
- It was about a spy in East Germany who was tasked with snooping into every aspect of a citizen's life. (listverse.com)
- The film won an Oscar for its gritty, realistic portrayal of life in the German Democratic Republic (GDR), but it missed out one important point. (listverse.com)
- Nudism has long been a part of my life, and it always will be. (aanr.com)
- In 1898 he tried in vain to re-establish himself as a painter, sculptor, and musician, travelling extensively through Europe and returning to Germany. (wikipedia.org)
- But if Europe destabilizes (not because of German actions, but due to other factors, which is not only possible, but in some respects, likely) then Germany will act in her interests, and if under considerable external stress, those actions will probably quite strongly accord with German cultural predispositions. (oocities.org)
- The rise of the Habsburgs led to Czechia becoming a part of the Austrian Empire, and later Austria-Hungary, and a massive influx of German immigrants. (wikitravel.org)
- After writing a novel about sex, betrayal, drugs, rock and roll, nudism, co-ed showers, and radical politics, how was I going to have any credibility with my teen-age children when I needed to tell them not to do these things when they went to college? (blogspot.com)
- According to a source at the Goethe Institute, the original concept of FKK was born out of a longing to be free "from religious strictures that teach you to be ashamed of your body…without clothes no-one is a factory slave, everyone is equal… It was a primitive kind of Socialism which was why the bureaucratic communists of East Germany…hated it so much. (flavorwire.com)
- On the border with Germany is located the largest national park in the Czech Republic. (wikivoyage.org)
- In 1910, he discovered handicraft, and founded the "Protective Order for German Quality Work. (wikipedia.org)
- acted as an unofficial German national anthem. (blogspot.com)
- When you mention German nudes, Dürer's portraits of Rubenesque women lounging au natural rather than naked hiking comes to mind. (flavorwire.com)
- While Russia had Glasnost and "the great thaw," maybe Germany is choosing a more literal path of enlightening and laying bare its past. (flavorwire.com)
- Another four centuries later, Slavs arrived from the east, and by the 9th century, had established the Great Moravian Empire, stretching from modern-day Germany to Ukraine . (wikitravel.org)
- Later, Slavs arrived and, in the 9th century they founded the Great Moravian Empire, stretching from Germany to the Ukraine. (wikitravel.org)
- Authoritarianism, it seems to me, is only a surface aspect of German cultural predisposition, and one largely post-Napoleon. (oocities.org)