Sexual and Gender Disorders
Disorder characterized by recurrent, intense sexually arousing fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors involving cross-dressing in a heterosexual male. The fantasies, urges, or behaviors cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational or other areas of functioning. (from APA, DSM-IV, 1994)
Multiple Personality Disorder
Newcastle disease virus
Education, Medical, Undergraduate
The former British crown colony located off the southeast coast of China, comprised of Hong Kong Island, Kowloon Peninsula, and New Territories. The three sites were ceded to the British by the Chinese respectively in 1841, 1860, and 1898. Hong Kong reverted to China in July 1997. The name represents the Cantonese pronunciation of the Chinese xianggang, fragrant port, from xiang, perfume and gang, port or harbor, with reference to its currents sweetened by fresh water from a river west of it.
A republic stretching from the Indian Ocean east to New Guinea, comprising six main islands: Java, Sumatra, Bali, Kalimantan (the Indonesian portion of the island of Borneo), Sulawesi (formerly known as the Celebes) and Irian Jaya (the western part of New Guinea). Its capital is Djakarta. The ethnic groups living there are largely Chinese, Arab, Eurasian, Indian, and Pakistani; 85% of the peoples are of the Islamic faith.
Do students' attitudes toward women change during medical school? (1/541)BACKGROUND: Medical school has historically reinforced traditional views of women. This cohort study follows implementation of a revitalized curriculum and examines students' attitudes toward women on entry into an Ontario medical school, and 3 years later. METHODS: Of the 75 students entering first year at Queen's University medical school 70 completed the initial survey in September 1994 and 54 were resurveyed in May 1997. First-year students at 2 other Ontario medical schools were also surveyed in 1994, and these 166 respondents formed a comparison group. Changes in responses to statements about sex-role stereotypes, willingness to control decision-making of female patients, and conceptualization of women as "other" or "abnormal" because they are women were examined. Responses from the comparison group were used to indicate whether the Queen's group was representative. RESULTS: Attitudinal differences between the primary group and the comparison group were not significant. After 3 years of medical education students were somewhat less accepting of sex-role stereotypes and less controlling in the doctor-patient encounter. They continued, however, to equate adults with men and to see women as "not adult" or "other." Female students began and remained somewhat more open-minded in all areas studied. INTERPRETATION: A predicted trend toward conservatism was not seen as students became older, more aware and closer to completion of medical training, although they continued to equate adults with male and to see women as "other." Findings may validate new curricular approaches and increased attention to gender issues in the academic environment. (+info)
Interspecies transfer of female mitochondrial DNA is coupled with role-reversals and departure from neutrality in the mussel Mytilus trossulus. (2/541)Mussels of the genus Mytilus have distinct and highly diverged male and female mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) genomes with separate routes of inheritance. Previous studies of European populations of Mytilus trossulus demonstrated that 33% of males are heteroplasmic for a second mtDNA genome of increased length and that hybridization with Mytilus edulis does not block mtDNA introgression, in contrast to reports for American populations. Here, we demonstrate that the female mtDNA type of M. edulis has replaced the resident female mtDNA type of European M. trossulus. This is supported by COIII sequence data indicating that the female mtDNA of European M. trossulus is very similar to that of M. edulis and that in phylogenetic trees, the mtDNAs of these two species cluster together but separately from American M. trossulus sequences, the latter not being disturbed by introgressive hybridization. We also provide evidence that the mtDNA genome of increased length found in heteroplasmic males of European M. trossulus derives from a recent partition of an introgressed M. edulis female type into the male route of transmission. Neutrality tests reveal that European populations of M. trossulus display an excess of replacement polymorphism within the female mtDNA type with respect to conspecific American populations, as well as a significant excess of rare variants, of a similar magnitude to those previously reported for the invading European M. edulis mtDNA. Results are consistent with a nearly neutral model of molecular evolution and suggest that selection acting on European M. trossulus mtDNA is largely independent of the nuclear genetic background. (+info)
Sexual intercourse, abuse and pregnancy among adolescent women: does sexual orientation make a difference? (3/541)CONTEXT: Although a limited amount of research has retrospectively explored the childhood and adolescent heterosexual experiences of lesbians, little is known about the prevalence of heterosexual behavior and related risk factors or about pregnancy histories among lesbian and bisexual teenagers. METHODS: A secondary analysis was conducted using responses from a subsample of 3,816 students who completed the 1987 Minnesota Adolescent Health Survey. Behaviors, risk factors and pregnancy histories were compared among adolescents who identified themselves as lesbian or bisexual, as unsure of their sexual orientation and as heterosexual. RESULTS: Overall, bisexual or lesbian respondents were about as likely as heterosexual women ever to have had intercourse (33% and 29%, respectively), but they had a significantly higher prevalence of pregnancy (12%) and physical or sexual abuse (19-22%) than heterosexual or unsure adolescents. Among sexually experienced respondents, bisexual or lesbian and heterosexual women reported greater use of ineffective contraceptives (12-15% of those who used a method) than unsure adolescents (9%); bisexual or lesbian respondents were the most likely to have frequent intercourse (22%, compared with 15-17% of the other groups). In the sample overall, among those who were sexually experienced and among those who had ever been pregnant, bisexual or lesbian women were the most likely to have engaged in prostitution during the previous year. CONCLUSIONS: Providers of reproductive health care and family planning services should not assume that pregnant teenagers are heterosexual or that adolescents who say they are bisexual, lesbian or unsure of their sexual orientation are not in need of family planning counseling. Further research should explore the interactions between adolescent sexual identity development and sexual risk behaviors. (+info)
Self-assessment of well-being in a group of children with epilepsy. (4/541)Epilepsy is common in childhood, the prevalence being about five per 1000 children. The purpose of this study was to assess well-being in children with controlled epilepsy (but did not include those with obvious neurodeficits such as mental retardation or cerebral palsy) and compare them with age-matched healthy children. The patient group comprised of 31 children, 12 boys and 19 girls, whereas the control population group consisted of 342 children, 176 boys and 166 girls who were all in good health. All children involved in the study were aged between 9-13 years. A questionnaire was distributed to the children to complete. It consisted of 39 bipolar adjectives and a visual analogue scale was employed. The results show that the group of children with controlled epilepsy did not differ significantly from the age-matched control group. There was no significant difference between the sexes except for the dimension of vitality, where the boys scored better than the girls. Thus the well-being of children with controlled epilepsy seems to be similar to that of children from a control population. The psychometric properties of the instrument were also assessed. An assessment of well-being in children with intractable epilepsy, using a similar approach, is in progress. (+info)
Babes and boobs? analysis of JAMA cover art. (5/541)OBJECTIVE: To determine the representation of the sexes in JAMA cover art. DESIGN: Review of 50 consecutive issues. SETTING: JAMA, March 1997-March 1998. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Numbers and nature of covers portraying men and women. RESULTS: Of the 50 covers, 34 depicted humans. 15 depicted women, 13 men, and 6 were of mixed or indeterminate sex. 11 pictures of women included a child and five included nudity. One cover showed a man with a child (not as a father) and none depicted nudity. Men were depicted exclusively in authoritative roles. CONCLUSIONS: Much of the cover art gives strong messages about sexual stereotypes that are inappropriate in modern society. JAMA should consider reviewing its policy for choosing cover art. (+info)
The prevalence of gender dysphoria in Scotland: a primary care study. (6/541)A questionnaire was sent to senior partners in all general practices in Scotland designed to elicit experience of patients with gender dysphoria: a subjective experience of incongruity between genital anatomy and gender identity. Responses were received from 73% of practices. The prevalence of gender dysphoria among patients aged over 15 years was calculated as 8.18 per 100,000, with an approximate sex ratio of 4:1 in favour of male-to-female patients. One-third of gender-dysphoric patients known to practices had registered in the preceding 12 months, suggesting that patients with this condition are increasingly likely to present for medical care. (+info)
Beyond artificial, sex-linked distinctions to conceptualize female sexuality: comment on Baumeister (2000) (7/541)The authors comment on three aspects of R. F. Baumeister's (2000) theoretical article on female sexuality. Questioning the predominance of nature versus cultural factors in accounting for sexual outcomes for men and women, the authors draw attention to the similarities (as opposed to differences) in the sexual attitudes, behaviors, and responses of men and women, and directly question the suggestion of "controlling" women's sexual attitudes, behaviors, responses, etc. to meet social needs for change. (+info)
Friendship as a moderating factor in the pathway between early harsh home environment and later victimization in the peer group. The Conduct Problems Prevention Research Group. (8/541)Two prospective investigations of the moderating role of dyadic friendship in the developmental pathway to peer victimization are reported. In Study 1, the preschool home environments (i.e., harsh discipline, marital conflict, stress, abuse, and maternal hostility) of 389 children were assessed by trained interviewers. These children were then followed into the middle years of elementary school, with peer victimization, group social acceptance, and friendship assessed annually with a peer nomination inventory. In Study 2, the home environments of 243 children were assessed in the summer before 1st grade, and victimization, group acceptance, and friendship were assessed annually over the next 3 years. In both studies, early harsh, punitive, and hostile family environments predicted later victimization by peers for children who had a low number of friendships. However, the predictive associations did not hold for children who had numerous friendships. These findings provide support for conceptualizations of friendship as a moderating factor in the pathways to peer group victimization. (+info)
Symptoms of Gender Identity Disorder - RightDiagnosis.com
Symptoms of Gender Identity Disorder including 7 medical symptoms and signs of Gender Identity Disorder, alternative diagnoses, misdiagnosis, and correct diagnosis for Gender Identity Disorder signs or Gender Identity Disorder symptoms.
India: end rampant discrimination in the justice system based on sexual orientation and gender identity - ICJ - Countercurrents
Bangkok, Thailand -The Indian authorities must end discrimination against people based on sexual orientation and gender identity in the formal justice system, the International Commission of Jurists (ICJ)said in a report released today.. The 60-paged report Unnatural Offences: Obstacles to Justice in India Based on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identitydocuments the challenges queer persons in India facewhile trying to access justice, starting from the impact of laws that criminalize people for their real or imputed sexual orientation and gender identity; to police harassment, violence and abuse; and todiscrimination and other hurdles within the justice system.. Based on 150 interviews across nine cities in India, including with people who identified as lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender, the report uses the term queer to refer to any individual who identifies with a non-normative sexuality or gender identity.. It includes individuals who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, ...
MoonProject - Challenging the idea of Gender Identity: An analysis of two Post-War novels.
Sigmund Freud in his New Introductory Lectures on Psycho-Analysis quotes when you meet a human being, the first distinction you make is male or female? Therefore, is it possible to make a binary distinction with unhesitating uncertainty or do the gender and sexual identity have a deeper meaning and less visible characteristics? Betsy Driver, the co-founder of both Bodies Like Ours and Intersex Awareness Day during an interview on intersexuality and transsexuality also stresses on this question:. What makes us male or female? Our genitals? Is it our chromosomes? Is it our gender identity? Is it the way you perceive my gender identity?. This essay seeks to analyse how gender identity is represented in two different novels, published in two different periods by two different authors. The first part of my work will focus on The Passion of New Eve and the sex-change journey experienced by Evelyn, the main character of the novel, while the second part will be entirely dedicated to the analysis ...
Gender identity disorder and related sexual behavior problems in children and adolescents: from the perspective of development...
TY - JOUR. T1 - [Gender identity disorder and related sexual behavior problems in children and adolescents. T2 - from the perspective of development and child psychiatry].. AU - Yamashita, Hiroshi. PY - 2013. Y1 - 2013. N2 - The present paper reviews the theoretical and empirical literature on children and adolescents with gender identity disorder. The organizational framework underlying this review is one that presents gender behavior in children and adolescents as a continuum rather than as a dichotomy of normal versus abnormal categories. Theories of normative gender development, prevalence, assessment, developmental trajectories, and comorbidity were investigated. There is a greater fluidity and likelihood of change in the pre-pubertal period. It was reported that the majority of affected children had been eventually developing a homosexual orientation. As an approach to determine the prevalence of GID in clinical samples in our child psychiatry clinic, screening instruments that include ...
Gender Identity and Transgender Issues - Parkview Medical Center - Pueblo, Colorado
Gender identity is your inner sense of being male, female, both, neither, or some other gender. For transgender people, their gender identity does not match the sex that they were assigned at birth. Sometimes gender identity is outside the two most common categories of male or female. People who feel this way may use...
Gender identity | sexual behaviour | Britannica.com
Gender identity: Gender identity, an individuals self-conception as being male or female, as distinguished from actual biological sex. For most persons, gender identity and biological characteristics are the same. There are, however, circumstances in which an individual experiences little or no connection between
Gender Identity Debate: When Reality Causes Distress
The American Psychiatric Association (APA) has published the fifth edition of its Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5). Among the changes is the creation of a new diagnostic class - Gender Dysphoria - which replaces Gender Identity Disorder. Gender Dysphoria is defined as:. A marked incongruence between ones experienced and expressed gender and assigned gender … a strong desire to be of the other gender or an insistence that one is the other gender (or some alternative gender different from ones assigned gender).. Although the explanation for the changes at the end of the volume doesnt specifically mention it, in the introduction, the authors explain that patients, families, lawyers, consumer organizations and advocacy groups have provided feedback, and one of the goals of their participation was to reduce stigma.. A blog by transgender activist Kelley Winters organized supporters of changes in the DSM, arguing that the diagnosis of Gender Identity ...
Gender Identity: The Ultimate Teen Guide (It Happened to Me) | Scarleteen
The book examines what is meant by sex and gender-from typical gender roles and stereotypes, through those who transcend the usual categories of male and female. In addition to historical and factual information, teen voices and popular medias depictions of gender issues are included. Gender Identity: The Ultimate Teen Guide is written for all teens with an interest in gender-what it is, how it is expressed-especially those teens questioning their own (or a friend or family members) gender identity. Straight (heterosexual) and LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning) youth, and the adults who live and work with them will want to read it, as well as educators, counselors, school board members, and parents.. ...
Combating discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation or gender identity - Council of Europe standards
The Council of Europe works to uphold human rights, the rule of law and pluralist democracy. The Council of Europes standards and mechanisms seek to promote and ensure respect for the human rights of every individual. These include equal rights and dignity of all human beings, including lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons.The Council of Europe has adopted a number of international legal instruments and standards on combating discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation or gender identity. They illustrate the underlying message of the Organisation, which is that the Council of Europes standards of tolerance and non-discrimination apply to all European societies, and discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation or gender identity is not compatible with these standards.This publication provides an accessible and comprehensive compilation of the standards adopted by the Council of Europe. It should serve as a reference for the governments, international institutions, NGOs, media
Describe some of the ways in which gender categories can be used to explain the formation of gender identities in children. -...
Introduction. Carl Andrade DD100 TMA 01 Part A Question part (a) 50% Describe some of the ways in which gender categories can be used to explain the formation of gender identities in children. In order to describe some of the ways in which gender categories can be used to explain the formation of gender identities in children, we must first look at what is meant by the term gender category, define what is meant by identity and how these are formed in young children. From this we may then be able to establish how gender categories relate to identity formation in young children. So what is Gender Category? When a child is born we categorise its gender as being either male or female and give it a label of being either a Boy or a Girl. But how is it decided which gender category a baby will fall into? One method that can be used to categorise which gender a child falls in to is through the use of genetic evidence. ...read more. Middle. This is the basis of our social structure. We are identified ...
Understanding Gender - Liberate
Ones internal, deeply held sense of ones gender. For transgender people, their own internal gender identity does not match the sex they were assigned at birth. Most people have a gender identity of man or woman (or boy or girl). This is usually assigned at birth depending upon the shape of genitalia i.e. an individual with male-typical genitalia is assigned the gender boy and then later man, while an individual with female-typical genitalia is assigned the gender girl and then later woman. For the majority of people the assigned gender matches their internal gender identity. These people are called cisgender; transgender people on the other hand experience a gender identity which does not match that assigned to them at birth. For some people, their gender identity does not fit neatly into the two primary genders at all. Unlike gender expression (see below) gender identity is not visible to others.. ...
Transgender - Wikipedia
Most mental health professionals recommend therapy for internal conflicts about gender identity or discomfort in an assigned gender role, especially if one desires to transition. People who experience discord between their gender and the expectations of others or whose gender identity conflicts with their body may benefit by talking through their feelings in depth; however, research on gender identity with regard to psychology, and scientific understanding of the phenomenon and its related issues, is relatively new. The terms transsexualism, dual-role transvestism, gender identity disorder in adolescents or adults, and gender identity disorder not otherwise specified are listed as such in the International Statistical Classification of Diseases (ICD) by the WHO or the American Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) under codes F64.0, F64.1, 302.85, and 302.6 respectively. The validity of the diagnosis and its presence in the forthcoming ICD-11 is debated. France ...
Calgary Workshop: Creating Authentic Spaces / A Gender Identity and Gender Expression Toolkit Presented by TD - Pride at Work...
Canadian employers are increasingly conscious of the fact that supporting LGBT inclusion is not only the right thing to do, its good for business. However, the vast majority of Canadian employers disproportionately focus their inclusion efforts on sexual orientation; cisgender employees who are bi, gay or lesbian. Only about 10% of Canadian employers have an established strategy for inclusion on the grounds of gender identity and gender expression.. The 519s Creating Authentic Spaces toolkit guides organizations to challenge transphobia and to foster environments that are inclusive of gender identity and gender expression. This workshop, co-facilitated by the toolkits author Jacq Hixson-Vulpe and Pride at Work Canada Executive Director Coin Druhan, will explore the experiences and challenges faced by trans people in Canadian workplaces as well as best practices explored in the toolkit. Participants will learn how they can develop approaches that foster a trans inclusive environment for ...
Gender identity - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The vast majority of adults in society think of themselves as being a man or a woman. Almost all children can identify themselves as a boy or a girl by age two or three. Society tends to think of gender as an either-or situation: that is, that everyone must be man or woman; boy or girl, a view that scholars call the gender binary. And while that fits most people, it doesnt fit everyone.. For the great majority of adults and children, what they were called when they were born-Its a boy! or, Its a girl!- and how other people see their gender as man, woman, boy, or girl matches how they feel about themselves. For a few people, what they were called at birth or how other people see them does not match their gender identity. Such people may be called transgender. Some people prefer to use different words for their gender identity, like genderqueer, and there are other terms as well.. There are some people who feel like they are more than one gender, for example bigender or pangender, and ...
European Court of Human Rights: Gender Identity Protected Against Discrimination - EGLSF.info
Deeply-embedded homophobic and transphobic attitudes, often combined with a lack of adequate legal protection against discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation and gender identity, expose many lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBTIQ) people of all ages and in all regions of the world to egregious violations of their human rights.. In a judgment delivered on May 12, 2015, the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) clarified that all trans people are protected against discrimination on grounds of gender identity under art. 14 of the Convention (ECHR). This is an important and awaited step.. On the occasion of the International Day against Homo- and Transphobia (IDAHOT), Georgian activists held a peaceful march on May 17, 2012, in Tbilisi. When counter-demonstrators were attacking them, brutally assaulting and beating them, the police failed to protect the activists adequately. Therefore, the ECtHR condemned Georgia for degrading and inhuman treatment in a discriminatory manner (art. ...
Althouse: The end of Aspergers and gender identity disorder.
People with Gender identity disorder are so afraid of stigma that they will ignore that there is something off with how they are wired, just like me as someone with high functioning autism. They confuse how society thinks gender roles should be and how they should act with their actual gender, the one they were born as. There is noting wrong with masculine women and there is nothing wring with feminine men but they are still the gender they are born as. They should be studied in an attempt to understand how they are mis-wired ...
Transgenderism is a Gender Identity Disorder
Transgenderism is a Gender Identity Disorder. Where did they get the idea that our sexual identity as men or women was in the category of things that could be changed?
Lives in a chiaroscuro. Should we suspend the puberty of children with gender identity disorder? | Journal of Medical Ethics
Transgender children who are not treated for their condition are at high risk of violence and suicide. As a matter of survival, many are willing to take whatever help is available, even if this is offered by illegal sources, and this often traps them into the juvenile criminal system and exposes them to various threats. Endocrinology offers a revolutionary instrument to help children/adolescents with gender identity disorder: suspension of puberty. Suspension of puberty raises many ethical issues, and experts dissent as to when treatment should be commenced and how children should be followed up. This paper argues that suspension of puberty is not only not unethical: if it is likely to improve the childs quality of life and even save his or her life, then it is indeed unethical to defer treatment. ...
Gender Identity Disorder by Devine Nancy Trinh on Prezi
Slate(2010. Gender Identity Disorder[Image File]. Retrieved from http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2012/12/121203_MEDEX_Transgender.jpg.CROP.rectangle3-large.jpg (Slide 29 ...
An intersex perspective on the trans, intersex and TERF communities - The TransAdvocate
Intersex advocates are interested in criticizing binary sex ideology-thats what makes the term gender critical sound appealing. But thats not what these transphobic feminists mean by it at all. As they use it, the phrase gender critical denotes being critical of (or more bluntly, rejecting) the concept of gender identity-most especially the fundamental precept of transgender advocacy, which is that when gender identity and legal sex conflict, this provides pragmatic and ethical justification for a change of legal sex. But intersex people dont reject the concept of gender identity at all. Most intersex people in the contemporary West have a clear gender identity, often as women or men, or sometimes as genderqueer or as identifying with the term intersex as a third gender category, and want their gender identities to be respected. Intersex advocates believe it is of paramount importance to center a childs gender identity in any decisions made about altering an intersex childs body, and ...
Site | Ontario Human Rights Commission
April 2014 ----- Over the years, the Ontario Human Rights Commission (OHRC) has taken steps to address discrimination because of gender identity. In 1999, the OHRC released Toward a Commission Policy on Gender Identity for public comment. In 2000, the OHRC released its first Policy on discrimination and harassment because of gender identity, taking the position that the ground of sex could be interpreted to include gender identity. Following the release of this policy, the OHRC continued to call for explicit recognition of gender identity as a protected ground in Ontarios Human Rights Code.. ...
Transgender Research: The Role of Biology in Gender Identity Development
Compelling data now suggest that gender identity is not simply a psychosexual construct, but that it is influenced by biology, environmental, and cultural factors, explained Stephen M. Rosenthal, MD.
Search Results for gender identity | Human Kinetics
identity and gender identity are intersectional. Male athletes are performing their gender role and their athlete role simultaneously in a way that may result in behavioral differences that are patterned by sex, in and out of sport settings, even if the meaning of being a good athlete is similarly. ...
Gender identity workshop highlights church teaching, pastoral response - Catholic Review
Such an attitude puts the person first, a language technique gleaned from ministry to people with disabilities. It also emphasizes that the person experiences this, not necessarily suffers or struggles with it, since some are comfortable with it.. He pointed out that no one chooses to be gay or transsexual. They can choose a certain label. … Confusion is a gentler term but not a neutral one.. He added that sexual identity is not the same as gender identity. The Catechism of the Catholic Church speaks of sexual identity, which is a persons nature.. Working with the people he has encountered through his work with Courage - which provides pastoral care for Catholic men and women who experience same-sex attraction and helps them live chastely, in accord with church teaching - has transformed his priesthood, Father Bochanski said.. Through it all, he employs the method Jesus did on the road to Emmaus: Tell me your story. Tell me who you are and where you are coming from.. Other speakers ...
Movement Advancement Project | All Children Matter: Executive Summary
Gender identity is a persons deeply-felt inner sense of being male, female, or something else or in-between. Gender expression refers to a persons characteristics and behaviors such as appearance, dress, mannerisms and speech patterns that can be described as masculine, feminine, or something else. Gender identity and expression are independent of sexual orientation, and transgender people may identify as heterosexual, lesbian, gay or bisexual. Laws that explicitly mention gender identity or gender identity and expression primarily protect or harm transgender people. These laws also can apply to people who are not transgender, but whose sense of gender or manner of dress does not adhere to gender stereotypes.. ...
Movement Advancement Project | Video: All Children Matter
Gender identity is a persons deeply-felt inner sense of being male, female, or something else or in-between. Gender expression refers to a persons characteristics and behaviors such as appearance, dress, mannerisms and speech patterns that can be described as masculine, feminine, or something else. Gender identity and expression are independent of sexual orientation, and transgender people may identify as heterosexual, lesbian, gay or bisexual. Laws that explicitly mention gender identity or gender identity and expression primarily protect or harm transgender people. These laws also can apply to people who are not transgender, but whose sense of gender or manner of dress does not adhere to gender stereotypes.. ...
Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Data Collection in the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System - Center for American...
This issue brief contains corrections.. The United States is home to at least 9 million people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender, or LGBT. Despite recent advances in social acceptance and legal protections, such as the 2015 U.S. Supreme Court ruling that gave same-sex couples in every state the right to marry, LGBT people and their families across the country continue to face discrimination in areas of everyday life such as employment, housing, and health care.. In order to make meaningful progress in improving the lives of LGBT Americans, policymakers, researchers, advocates, and service providers need more and better data related to the experiences and needs of the LGBT population. Sexual orientation and gender identity, or SOGI, data are a critical component of accurately assessing the current problems that LGBT people experience-such as mental health and substance use disparities and barriers in access to health insurance coverage and health care-and developing ...
UN Resolution on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity - Equality and Diversity Forum
On 17 June 2011, the United Nations Human Rights Council (HRC) narrowly adopted a Resolution expressing grave concern about acts of violence and discrimination against individuals because of their sexual orientation and gender identity.. Click here for report on Equal Rights Trust website. Click here for resolution. ...
SP 406 WGS 406 Sexual and Gender Identities Fall 2006 Sexual - Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB)
This course introduces scholarly debates about sexual identities, gender identities and expressions, and sexual orientation and its representation in various media. We begin with an investigation of the theoretical underpinnings of the emerging field of queer studies, from the nineteenth century to the present day, and consider how subsequent work in transgender studies continues to challenge traditional understandings of sex, gender, and sexuality.. ...
FAITH IN OUR FAMILIES: PARENTS, FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TALK ABOUT FAITH, SEXUAL ORIENTATION AND GENDER IDENTITY PFLAG. - PDF
FAITH IN OUR FAMILIES: PARENTS, FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TALK ABOUT FAITH, SEXUAL ORIENTATION AND GENDER IDENTITY PFLAG Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) is the nation
Iowa Governor Signs School Bullying Bill - Includes Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity » Americans for Truth
Gov. Chet Culver signed a bill to ban bullying in all Iowa schools.. This bill makes it clear Iowans are committed to providing protection against intolerance in every Iowa school district, Culver said at the signing ceremony at Valley High School in West Des Moines. Bullying, threats and intimidation have no place in our public education system.. …With Mondays bill signing, Iowa becomes one of 10 states in the nation to enact a comprehensive, statewide anti-bullying policy, Culver said.. …The new law protects students regardless of their age, color, creed, national origin, race, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical attributes, physical or mental ability or disability, ancestry, political party preference, political belief, socioeconomic status or family status.. Continue reading in Des Moines Register…. ...
Collecting Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Data in Electronic Health Records: Workshop Summary | The National Academies...
Download a PDF of Collecting Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Data in Electronic Health Records by the Institute of Medicine for free.
Global Fund Strategy in Relation to Sexual Orientation and Gender Identities - Board Decisions - Board - The Global Fund to...
The Board approves The Global Fund Strategy in Relation to Sexual Orientation and Gender Identities (SOGI) (GF/B19/4 - Attachment 3) and requests the Secretariat to report on progress of implementation of the strategy to the Policy and Strategy Committee at its next meeting ...
OBOS Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity Contributors - Our Bodies Ourselves
Health information is created by OBOS in collaboration with topic experts who help write, review and revise content to ensure it is current and evidence-based. Learn more. The following people contributed to the content on sexual orientation and gender identity:. Contributors: Rose Afriyic, Petra Doan, Cait Glasson, Louis Gooren, Ted Heck, Esther M. Leidolf, Elizabeth Sarah Lindsey, Irene Monroe, Su Penn, Wendy Sanford, Norman P. Spack, Judy Anne Williams.. Special thanks to: Saber DeMare, Laura Edwards-Leeper, Gina Ogden, Devin Reynolds.. ...
LGBTI rights | Defending the United Nations Independent Expert on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity | ISHR
Today, the UN Independent Expert on sexual orientation and gender identity will present his first report to the UN General Assembly. ISHR and three human rights organisations commemorate this event by emphasising the importance of the mandate and releasing a joint report on its creation.
Social Justice Warrior, The Clown News Network And M.S.N.B.C Are A Mental Disorder: October 2015
Some genders include masculine, feminine, genderqueer (queer, fluid, or non-binary gender identity), agender (neutral or non-existent gender identity and/or expression), cisgender (gender identity and/or expression that is cis, or on the same side as, assigned sex category), and transgender (any gender identity or expression that differs from sex assignment). Trans refers to a range of non-cisgender identities, including transgender and transsexual. It also suggests avoiding sexist language such as freshman and congressman, and including the Gender-Inclusive/Non-Sexist Language Syllabi Statement in your syllabi to let students know that you want your classroom to be an inclusive space. Although the document does clarify that the guidelines are by no means mandatory, it also compares not following them to insulting a strangers outfit: You are free to not use this language . . . you are also free to criticize the way someone is dressed even if you dont know them, but then most ...
Atherton High Considers Discrimination Policy Change to Address Student Gender Identity Questions | 89.3 WFPL News Louisville
Atherton High School administrators are looking to revise the schools discrimination policy after complaints arose from a male-bodied transgender students use of the girls restroom.. The student, who identifies as a female, was allowed to use both of the schools girls-only restrooms, but, following complaints, school officials limited her to only one of the restrooms.. In a letter sent home to parents of Atherton students, officials at the school announced their plan to add a non-discrimination statement to school policy focusing on gender identity. Chris Hartman, the director of the Louisville Fairness Campaign, said allowing a transgender student access to gender-*specific restrooms is important not only for basic civil rights, but also for safety.. A great deal of violence and sexual assault against transgender people, in general, and transgender youth occurs in restrooms, he said. When we are talking about restroom accommodations being important it is about safety of all students and ...
HHS: Affordable Care Act bans discrimination based on gender identity | National LGBTQ Task Force Blog
Have you ever been discriminated against in our health care system? The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) recently confirmed that the Affordable Care Acts ban on sex-based discrimination includes discrimination based on gender identity. This affirms the Task Forces longstanding position that federal civil rights statutes that prohibit discrimination on the basis…
Gender Identity - For many people the terms gender and sex are used interchangeably, however the concepts of sex and gender are not quite that
Diversity Training on Gender Identity and Gender Expression | Human Rights Campaign
Find tips to incorporate education about gender identity and gender expression in diversity and Equal Employment Opportunity compliance training programs.
Browsing English Theses and Dissertations by Subject Gender identity in literature
UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the statement of non-discrimination. ...
Gender Identities in Conflict | JIA SIPA
Nimmi Gowrinathan, Founder and Director of the Politics of Sexual Violence Initiative and Visiting Professor at Columbia University, studies conflict and its impact on womens political identities. The Journal of International Affairs spoke to Professor Gowrinathan about her research on gender identities in regions of conflict, female fighters and sexual violence.
Gender identity | Aidspan
Over 600 NGOs from 151 countries have signed a Joint Civil Society Statement calling on the Human Rights Council of the United Nations to appoint an Independent Expert to address human rights violations based on sexual orientation and gender identity (SOGI).. The statement says that: ...
First International Meeting on Human Rights and Gender Identity in Bolivia - Global Commission on HIV and the Law
On 7 and 8 October 2013 the First International Meeting on Human Rights and Gender Identity was convened in Cochabamba, Bolivia with the participation of 60 parliamentarians, government authorities from the local and national level, international donors and diplomats, as well as civil society representatives including transgender people. This event, which aimed at promoting the…
Teaching My Middle-Schooler About Gender Identity
Do you know when is the best time to talk with your preteen about gender Identity? Learn how to talk with your kid about identity, family, gender, and more
The Power in Demography: Womens Social Constructions of Gender Identity at Work - Article - Faculty & Research - Harvard...
Ely, R. J. The Power in Demography: Womens Social Constructions of Gender Identity at Work. Academy of Management Journal 38, no. 3 (June 1995): 589-634 ...
Specifics of interpersonal trust among people with different gender identities.Psychology in Russia: State of the Art
Specifics of interpersonal trust among people with different gender identities. Established in 2008, the Russian Psychological Societys Journal «Psychology in Russia: State of the Art» publishes original articles.
Gender Identity In Adolescents - What You Need to Know
Care guide for Gender Identity In Adolescents. Includes: possible causes, signs and symptoms, standard treatment options and means of care and support.
It isnt a new book by any means, but I found the themes and the writing of the short stories in The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Writings so timeless that it could be.. Charlotte Perkins Gilman wrote her stories about a hundred years ago. If you think of authors who lived at the turn of the 20th century to be stodgy, you may be as surprised as I was by Gilmans candor and (sometimes) humor about gender identity, mental health and social norms. These themes are very much hot-button issues today.. Herland is the story that most made me want to check out the book, but I enjoyed all of them. In this utopian fantasy, a group of three male explorers set out to find a secret, all-female civilization rumored to exist in the seclusion of the forest. Their tantalizing visions of what they hope to encounter is not exactly what they actually find!. For a different -but no less interesting- take on the all-female society theme, you may want to check out the graphic novel Y: The Last Man by Brian K. ...
gender identity Archives - orinam
Orinam.net is a bilingual website (Tamil and English), with information on alternate sexualities and gender identities. Our voices - The Orinam blog features news and views, personal stories and creative writing by Queers and allies.. Find out more ...
Topics covered by the Best Practices guide include mental health issues; gender identity; hormone use and clinical care ...
"Genderqueer , gender identity". Encyclopedia Britannica. Out in the Market: A History of the Gay Market Segment in the United ... Bias in the Workplace: Consistent Evidence of Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Discrimination. Archived 9 August 2017 at ... ISBN 84-339-1352-2. D'Emilio, John (1997). "Capitalism and Gay Identity". The Gender/Sexuallity Reader. Culture, History and ... such as equal marriage or recognition of gender identity), these rights are subordinated to the people's resources, income and ...
"Gender identity". Stonewall. Grew, Tony (7 November 2008). "Celebs split over trans protest at Stonewall Awards". Pink News. ... "a strict distinction between sexual orientation and gender identity", with Stonewall chief Ruth Hunt saying that "historically ... She argued that to succeed, Stonewall does not have to convert everyone to its understanding of gender. Instead, she said, it ... Grierson, Jamie (2017-04-05). "Stonewall calls for gender-neutral X option for UK passports". The Guardian. Retrieved 2018-08- ...
Amnesty International USA
"Gender, Sexuality, & Identity". Amnesty International USA. Retrieved 2019-07-18. Montgomery, Bruce P. (Spring 1995). "Archiving ... Its vision is one of a world in which every person - regardless of race, religion, gender, or ethnicity - enjoys all of the ... not only heterosexual women about their bodies and human rights but persons of every sexual orientation and gender identity. ... and identity without fear of coercion or criminalization. Seek and receive information about sexuality and reproduction and ...
ISBN 978-0-415-25486-1. "Gender identity problems; Gays angered about doctors forcing issue" The Houston Chronicle, August 2, ... Ponticelli, C. M. (1999). "Crafting stories of sexual identity reconstruction". Social Psychology Quarterly. 62 (2): 157-172. ... they could resolve identity conflicts by: Adopting a new discourse or worldview. Engaging in a biographical reconstruction. ... correcting distorted styles of relating with members of the same and opposite gender." People Can Change defines change as, " ...
Hate speech laws in Canada
... gender identity, or gender expression," Horgan said at a news conference. In Manitoba, The Human Rights Code allows an ... gender identity; (nb) gender expression; (o) physical disability or mental disability; (p) an irrational fear of contracting an ... For example, the Manitoba Human Rights Commission currently accepts complaints based on gender identity. New ... gender identity or expression, or mental or physical disability". The Constitution Act, 1982, being Schedule B to the Canada ...
Hate speech laws in Australia
... gender identity; (c) HIV/AIDS status; (d) race; (e) religious conviction; (f) sexuality. Prior to the passage of these ... gender identity, HIV/AIDS status or sexual orientation. The Racial Discrimination Act 1975 forbids hate speech on several ... gender identity and disability. Section 19 of Tasmania's Anti-Discrimination Act 1998 prohibits anyone from inciting hatred. ...
Broad Progressive Front (Argentina)
Gender identity law. Assisted reproduction law. Same-sex marriage law. End of gay blood donation ban. Gender equality and ...
Dobkin, Alix; Tatnall, Sally (January 28, 2015). "The Erasure of Lesbians". Gender Identity Watch. Archived from the original ... Grosjean, Shelley (2011). A "Womyn's" Work is Never Done: The Gendered Division of Labor on Lesbian Separatist Lands in ... Luis, Keridwen N. (2009). Ourlands: Culture, gender, and intention in women's land communities in the United States (Thesis). ... Gender and Aging (Research in Political Sociology, Volume 13). Emerald Group Publishing. pp. 13-46. ISBN 978-0762309917. Bess, ...
Butler's 1990 book Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity contained discussion of performativity versus ... Dobkin, Alix; Tatnall, Sally (January 28, 2015). "The Erasure of Lesbians". Gender Identity Watch. Archived from the original ... We welcome all women who were raised and socialized as girls to join us...We are gender abolitionists who have been raised and ... The intent was to create a space for only women, defined not by identity but experience, defined in a way that excluded ...
Mai Neng Moua
"Gender and Identity." Paj Ntaub Voice. Vol. 6, No. 1. St. Paul, MN: Hmong American Institute for Learning, 1999. OCLC 247439079 ... Part of University of Wisconsin Marathon County's Journey to American Identities series. OCLC 191217472 Moua, Mai Neng. ...
Néjia Ben Mabrouk
Shafik, Viola (2007). "Cultural Identity and Gender". Arab Cinema: History and Cultural Identity. Cairo, Egypt: The American ...
The Prevention and Combating of Hate Crimes and Hate Speech Bill
... gender or gender identity; HIV status; language; nationality, migrant or refugee status; occupation or trade; political ... gender or religion, and that constitutes incitement to cause harm." This exclusion is one of many considerations noted in the ...
LGBT rights in Tokelau
"Gender Identity - Some definitions". I'm Local. 13 December 2012. Retrieved 22 January 2020. "Tokelau Dictionary > F [pp. 51- ... People living as this gender role have traditionally been accepted by Tokelauan society. Same-sex sexual activity has been ... Macdonald, Baz (7 March 2018). "Fa'afafine, trans and bio queens - gender diversity in the NZ drag scene". Radio New Zealand. ... possesses a traditional and cultural third gender population. Such individuals are known in Tokelauan as the fakafāfine. ...
Smith, LauraJane (2008). Heritage, Gender, and Identity. The Ashgate Research Companion to Heritage and Identity. pp. 159-178. ... She explored links between material culture and identity. Her work suggests that people are more mindful and active in their ... Smith's more recent work researches the memories and identity conceptualizations of museum and heritage site visitors. This is ... Smith's work examines how Heritage is mobilised within communities and informs individual and collective identities. Smith has ...
LGBT rights in Wisconsin
Wisconsin law punishes hate crimes based on sexual orientation, but not gender identity. Although gender identity is not ... "Gender Identity and Expression". Fair Wisconsin. Archived from the original on November 3, 2013. Retrieved November 2, 2013. ... Wisconsin city adopts ordinance banning bias based on gender identity Archived September 4, 2014, at archive.today ORDINANCE # ... Cite journal requires ,journal= (help) "Cities and Counties with Non-Discrimination Ordinances that Include Gender Identity". ...
Lee, Janice W. (2005). Psychology of Gender Identity. Nova Publishers. ISBN 9781594542145. "Byttet ut kona med mann". VG (in ...
Shafik, Viola (2007). "Cultural Identity and Gender". Arab Cinema: History and Cultural Identity. Cairo, Egypt: The American ... The film deals with themes of gender and education. The mother (Mouna Noureddine) gives her daughter Sabra (Fatma Khemiri) an ...
LGBT rights in the United States
... "gender identity," or "disconnect" between biological sex and gender identity. The brief related to a pending case, Harris ... Hate Crimes Prevention Act, which added gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, and disability to the federal hate crimes ... 28 cover gender; 13 cover age; 21 cover gender identity; five cover political affiliation. 31 states and the District of ... that the nonviolent sexual advance or an individual or a perception or belief of the gender, gender identity, or expression, or ...
Carole Boyce Davies
... gender, heritage and identity; African women's writing and resistance to domination; marginality, effacement and decentering; ... Her book Black Women Writing and Identity: Migrations of the Subject (Routledge, 1994) is a study of Black women's writing, ... "Black Women, Writing and Identity: Migrations of the Subject". Routledge. "The African Diaspora: African Origins and New World ... Black Women, Writing, and Identity: Migrations of the Subject. Routledge, 1994, ISBN 978-0415100878. The African Diaspora: ...
LGBT rights in Portugal
The law also prohibits both direct and indirect discrimination based on gender identity, gender expression and sex ... On 1 March 2011, a gender identity law, said to be one of the most advanced in the world, was passed to simplify the process of ... In 2013, the Portuguese Parliament passed a law adding gender identity to the hate crimes provision in the Penal Code. On 19 ... In March 2011, President Aníbal Cavaco Silva ratified the new Law of Gender Identity (Portuguese: Lei da Identidade de Género ...
Sexuality and Gender Identity; Electoral Issues; Industrial Relations; Attorney General; Parliamentary Process; Ports & ...
In 1985 she edited Gender Dysphoria, and in 1990, she co-edited Clinical management of gender identity disorders in children ... Steiner was the first head of the Gender Identity Clinic at the Clarke Institute of Psychiatry. She is known for her work with ... 1983 Dec;12(6):503-9. PMID 6667109 Freund K, Steiner BW, Chan S (1982). Two types of cross-gender identity. Arch Sex Behav. ... PMID 647617 Freund K, Langevin R, Satterberg J, Steiner B (1977). Extension of the Gender Identity Scale for Males. Arch Sex ...
Female body shape
Gauntlett, David (2008). Media, gender, and identity. Abingdon, UK: Routledge. ISBN 978-0415189606. MacDonald, Myra (1995). ... Gender". Sexualities, Evolution & Gender. 7 (3): 245-267. doi:10.1080/14616660500238769. "Curvier women 'will live longer". BCC ... An early example of the body used as an identity marker occurred in the Victorian era, when women wore corsets to help ... David Gauntlett, in his 2008 book, recognizes the importance of malleability in physical identity, stating, "the body is the ...
... gender, and corresponding identity expressions." (gender identity and sexual identity)., though Maori gender identifiers ( ... Takatāpui serves as an umbrella term for all these identities. Aikāne, a similar concept in Hawaiian culture LGBT in New ... The term encompasses not only aspects of sexuality but also cultural identity. Takatāpui incorporates both a sense of ... The historical usage of the term might not correspond with contemporary understanding of LGBT identities, while information on ...
LGBT rights in Indiana
"Former IN Supreme Court justice says new hate crimes law protects gender, gender identity". WTHR. April 3, 2019. Public opinion ... "Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Now Protected in Marion County" (PDF). Hall, Render, Killian, Heath & Lyman. February 9 ... To this day, state statutes have not yet been amended to include sexual orientation and gender identity among its non- ... In 2005, Governor Mitch Daniels added the terms "sexual orientation" and "gender identity" to the list of protected categories ...
LGBT rights in Queensland
Sexuality and gender identity are protected attributes under both state and federal anti-discrimination laws. Same-sex couples ... In order for Queensland law to recognise a person's gender identity and issue a birth certificate updated with their affirmed ... "Sexuality and Gender Identity Policies". Queensland Greens. Retrieved 26 June 2012. Sarah Elks (17 March 2012). "Unions ... "About Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Intersex Status Discrimination". Australian Human Rights Commission. Retrieved 8 ...
"25 Songs About Gender Identity". Billboard. "Microsoft Surface Go TV Commercial, 'The Salmon Sisters' Song by Garbage". iSpotTV ...
John Walter (artist)
"Coming Out: Sexuality, Identity & Gender". Retrieved 22 November 2018. John Walter. ... Identity & Gender (2017), published by National Museums Liverpool 2018 Arts Council Collection 2015 Walker Art Gallery 2001 ...
In: Rowland DL, Incrocci L. (Eds.). Handbook of Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders. John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, pp. 251- ... Klein C (2007). Sexual and Gender-Identity Disorders. In: Hersen M, Turner SM, Beidel D. (Eds.) Adult Psychopathology and ...
Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity | NCHHSTP | CDC
Gender identity | sexual behaviour | Britannica.com
For most persons, gender identity and biological characteristics are the same. There are, however, circumstances in which an ... Gender identity, an individuals self-conception as being male or female, as distinguished from actual biological sex. ... Furthermore, a secondary gender identity can be developed over the core identity, as sex-associated behaviours may be adopted ... human behaviour: Self-concept, or identity. Children develop a rudimentary gender identity by age three, having learned to ...
SEXUAL & GENDER IDENTITY DISORDERS
... can serve as a term that helps to refer to all of the identities within the gender identity/gender non-conforming/gender fluid ... non-gendered, third gender, two-spirit, bi-gender, trans man, and trans woman just to name a few. ... Trans* and Gender Identity. Resources. The Kansas State University LGBT Resource Center is committed to providing resources, ... The fluidity of gender inherently means that there will be diverse identities and how an individual identifies within the ...
Teaching My Middle-Schooler About Gender Identity
Learn how to talk with your kid about identity, family, gender, and more ... Do you know when is the best time to talk with your preteen about gender Identity? ... How do I talk about gender identity?. Gender identity is the gender you feel inside and how you show your gender through your ... Educate yourself and your preteen about gender identity, sexual orientation, and gender expression - and be a good role model. ...
LGBTQ Info For Teens | Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity
Organizing around Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Worldwide | HRW
Apart Organizing around Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Worldwide Introduction Methodology and Acknowledgements ... Others worry that an agenda focused on "LGBT" identity, or on "sexual orientation" and "gender identity," will neglect some of ... then gender identity and gender recognition for trans people; and then only can you talk about issues like genital mutilation ... In a few places, like Egypt and Morocco, sexual orientation and gender identity issues have begun to enter the agendas of some ...
Declaration on human rights, sexual orientation and gender identity
OHCHR | Independent Expert on sexual orientation and gender identity
to raise awareness of violence and discrimination against persons on the basis of their sexual orientation or gender identity, ... Independent Expert on sexual orientation and gender identity. c/o Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights. United ... The Independent Expert on protection against violence and discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity is ... Independent Expert on sexual orientation and gender identity. Email: [email protected] ...
Human Rights Watch Country Profiles: Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity
... had the right to express her gender identity while in prison. This meant that September could express her gender identity, ... her parents who were requesting a change of name and gender marker in childs identity document to match her gender identity. ... In April 2019, a judge in Zacatecoluca ruled to allow a transgender woman to change her name and gender marker on her identity ... The law grants individuals the right to self-identify as male, female, or a blend of genders, and to have that identity ...
UK Gender Identity Service at Crunch Point as Pressure Mounts
More adolescents than ever are being referred for treatment at gender identity centres in the UK, but concerns are growing over ... "And most patients say they are certain of their gender identity when asking for treatment," he adds. If the patient says they ... Now, an ex-staff member of Englands only NHS Gender Identity Development Service (GIDS) for young people, at the Tavistock and ... James Caspian is a psychotherapist who has helped both young people of 16 years and over, and adults with gender identity ...
MUS3088 : Folk Music, Gender and Identity - Undergraduate Study - Newcastle University
To explore critically the topic of gender and identity as expressed from British and European folk music practice. To explore ... We will also consider current discussions surrounding gender and identity in the contemporary UK folk scene. ... Gender tropes surrounding instrumental playing will also be explored. A sociohistorical approach is taken, asking how folk ... Through analysis of contemporary and archival recordings, scores and performances, this module will consider how gender ...
OHCHR | Combating discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity
Combatting discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity. "Some say that sexual orientation and gender ... OHCHR , English , Your Human Rights , Discrimination , Combating discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity ... In several countries, laws against cross dressing are used to punish transgender people on the basis of their gender identity ... All people, irrespective of sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, are entitled to enjoy the protections provided for by ...
Gender, Identity and Inclusion module : University of Sussex
Most Patients OK with Gender Identity, Sexuality Questions
Research has shown that sexual and gender minorities are at an increased risk for a number of health conditions, including ... Mayo Clinics new sexual orientation and gender identity questions are as follows:. *What sex were you assigned at birth on ... Most Patients OK with Gender Identity, Sexuality Questions. By Traci Pedersen Associate News Editor ... A total of 491 new patients were given routine intake forms, or intake forms with sexual orientation and gender identity ...
Identity, Double Consciousness, And Gender - 1811 Words | Bartleby
Martaya Hopkins Professor Willie Toliver English 325 21 November 2014 Identity, Double-Consciousness, and Gender: Passing, ... More about Identity, Double Consciousness, And Gender. * The American Constitution : A Double Consciousness Concept. 1260 Words ... Identity, Double-Consciousness, and Gender: Passing, Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man, and The Blacker the Berry According to ... Identity, Double Consciousness, And Gender. 1811 Words Nov 25th, 2014 8 Pages ...
Personality Disorders in Persons with Gender Identity Disorder
"Clinical characteristics of patients with gender identity disorder at a Japanese gender identity disorder clinic," Psychiatry ... Personality Disorders in Persons with Gender Identity Disorder. Dragana Duišin,1 Borjanka Batinić,1,2 Jasmina Barišić,1 ... O. Bodlund and K. Armelius, "Self-image and personality traits in gender identity disorders: an empirical study," Journal of ... M. S. C. Wallien, H. Swaab, and P. T. Cohen-Kettenis, "Psychiatric comorbidity among children with gender identity disorder," ...
gender identity | Ontario Human Rights Commission
gender identity. Gender identity is linked to a persons sense of self, and the sense of being male or female. A persons ... I am writing to commend you on your Ministrys leadership in development of the new OPS Gender Identity Policy - Gender ... gender identity is different from their sexual orientation, which is also protected under the Code. Peoples gender identity ... Trans people routinely experience discrimination, harassment and even violence because their gender identity or gender ...
OHCHR | Human Rights Council panel on sexual orientation and gender identity
Concept note on HRC panel on sexual orientation and gender identity. *Summary of HRC panel on sexual orientation and gender ... OHCHR , English , Your Human Rights , Discrimination , Human Rights Council panel on sexual orientation and gender identity ... United Nations Human Rights Council Panel on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (March 2012). On 7 March 2012, a panel ... of the report of the High Commissioner on violence and discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity (document ...
SHRM Adopts Public Policy Statement on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity
Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Public Policy Issue Statement. SHRM is committed to encouraging fair and consistent ... SHRM supports public policy efforts to bar workplace discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity. Any such ... Disparate Impact: Sexual orientation and gender identity discrimination claims should be based on actual discrimination. Claims ... sexual orientation and gender identity issues may be contrary to particular religious beliefs, religious and religious- ...
Gender in Political Theory | Social Identity | Social & Behavioral Sciences | Subjects | Wiley
Gender in Political Theory is a thoughtful, densely argued text. Judith Squires has provided students of politics with an ... I would very strongly recommend this book to anyone seeking a pathway through the plethora of recent works on gender. Diana ... The closing decades of the twentieth century saw an upsurge of interest in the analysis of gender and the production of ... An accessible and wide-ranging guide to the key debates in gender political theory. * Focuses on four central debates-equality ...
Government issues gender identity guidance for teachers in England
Pupils must not be told they might be a different gender based on personality or clothes ... Government issues gender identity guidance for teachers in England. ... "non-conformity to gender stereotypes should be seen as synonymous with having a different gender identity". ... "It isnt for any adult to tell a child or young person what their gender identity is. In fact, all too often we see the damage ...
The Transgender Movement and 'Gender Identity' in the Law
"Gender Identity Disorder" to "Gender Dysphoria" in 2013. It remains on the list of disorders, though, because, "To get ... The Transgender Movement and Gender Identity in the Law. By Peter Sprigg Senior Fellow for Policy Studies Virtually all ... The belief that one is, or the desire to be, of a different "gender identity" from ones biological sex has long been ... Those who choose not to live with the "gender identity" that corresponds to their biological sex are known as "transgender" ...
Virginia bans discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity
The governor of Virginia has signed a bill into law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender ... identity in housing, public and private employment, public accommodations, and access to credit. ... The legislation prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity in housing, public and private ... And, Northam signed a bill that requires the states Department of Motor Vehicles to offer a nonbinary gender marker for ...
High School : Gender And Gender Identity - 1681 Words | Bartleby
High school is a challenging thing to deal with especially if sexuality and gender identity are in the process. Students who ... Gender Roles And Gender Identity. 951 Words , 4 Pages Sex, Gender- Gender Roles and Gender Identity Sex, gender- gender roles ... Gender, Gender And Gender Identity. 1113 Words , 5 Pages perceptions in hopes of gleaming a bit of insight into gender identity ... Gender, Gender And Gender Identity. 1012 Words , 5 Pages Gender Communication Prior to taking this class I would define gender ...
Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity 101 | UUA.org
Unitarian Universalism doesnt just open its doors to people of all sexual orientations and gender identities-we value... ... Transgender 101: Identity, Inclusion, and Resources Unitarian Universalism honors diversity of genders and gendered experiences ... With the exception of agender people, who often do not have an internal sense of gender, most people have a gender identity. ... The cultural expectation is that ones biological sex, gender identity, and gender expression will align in stereotypical ways ...
Gender Identity Issues | BackYard Chickens
The gender identity phantom » MercatorNet
This gender diverse or gender identity condition, can you show me the lab work that verifies this? I am very concerned about ... Your pediatrician tells you that your 11-year-old daughter is "gender diverse" . Your child has a "gender identity" that is ... The same can be said for those practicing "gender affirmative therapy", they are deluded - deluded by their gender identity ... The gender identity phantom by Michael K. Laidlaw Nov 11, 2018. May 1, 2020. / 12 mins / ...
Born this way: gender identity - All In The Mind - ABC Radio National
They have no doubts about their gender identity. The science now says its reflected in the brain. ... when in actual fact its not gender dysphoria and its not gender identity disorder, its actually a severe psychosis were ... Lynne Malcolm: As you can hear from Julie Peters story, gender identity issues can cause deep distress, and sadly too many ... Lynne Malcolm: The distress Craig Andrews has endured in coming to terms with his gender identity sparked his passion to help ...
Adding Gender Identity as a Protected Category | Human Rights Campaign
Prohibit discrimination against transgender employees by including "gender identity or expression" or "gender identity" among ... "gender identity or expression" or "gender identity." Non-discrimination policies should be included in employee handbooks and ... gender identity or expression or gender identity. ... "Gender Identity or Expression" vs. "Gender Identity" in ... "Many employers are changing their Equal Employment Opportunity policies to include gender identity or expression because it ...
DisorderAgenderIndividual's gender identityBiologicalGenderqueerMultiple gendersPerson's gender identityRolesLGBTExpressionDifferent gender identitiesSpectrumReassignment SurgeryPeopleTransWorking on sexual orientationPrenatalTranssexualIntersexSexual orientation and gender identity questionsOpposite sexSexuality and genderTravestiBinaryCharacteristicsDisordersSegregationHormonesOrientationProtectionsMaleNonbinary2019One's own genderAdolescentsBehaviorPeople'sBisexualCisgenderIncongruence between one'sMasculine2017MasculinityConsistentPersistentFemaleQuestionsIdentifiesLatin AmericanRoleMultidisciplinaryIndividualsFindingsDysphoria ClinicFluidity
- Individuals with this mental disorder are uncomfortable with their apparent or assigned gender and demonstrate persistent identification with the opposite sex. (behavenet.com)
- The belief that one is, or the desire to be, of a different "gender identity" from one's biological sex has long been recognized as a mental disorder. (frc.org)
- After extensive lobbying by transgender activists, the American Psychiatric Association changed the diagnosis of "Gender Identity Disorder" to "Gender Dysphoria" in 2013. (frc.org)
- Whereas gender dysphoria has certain diagnostic criteria (as did its related predecessor gender identity disorder) this new self-identified condition does not [5,6,7]. (mercatornet.com)
- There are two components of Gender Identity Disorder, both of which must be present to make the diagnosis. (psychnet-uk.com)
- Children with Gender Identity Disorder may manifest coexisting Associated Personality Disorders are more common among males than among females being evaluated at adult gender clinics. (psychnet-uk.com)
- Only a very small number of children with Gender Identity Disorder will continue to have symptoms that meet criteria for Gender Identity Disorder in later adolescence or adulthood. (psychnet-uk.com)
- Texas taxpayers are now paying for hormone treatment for inmates who are transgender, have Gender Dysphoria Disorder, or have an Intersex condition. (breitbart.com)
- In 2012, the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders replaced "gender identity disorder" with "gender dysphoria. (breitbart.com)
- At intake, an offender with a reported history of Gender Disorder (GD) receives thorough medical and mental health evaluations and is continued on the same documented hormone regimen, if any, upon arrival into the TDCJ. (breitbart.com)
- Gender Identity Disorder and Schizophrenia: Neurodevelopmental Disorders with Common Causal Mechanisms? (hindawi.com)
- Gender identity disorder (GID), recently renamed gender dysphoria (GD), is a rare condition characterized by an incongruity between gender identity and biological sex. (hindawi.com)
- Gender identity disorder (GID) is a rare condition characterized by an incongruity between gender identity and biological sex. (hindawi.com)
- Special Agent Toni Graham confirmed that Manning had few friends in his Iraq-based unit and kept a folder of articles on gender identity disorder in his sleeping quarters, including one partially titled 'flight into hypermasculinity. (courant.com)
- Kimberly Lewis, a spokeswoman for the prison, said , "The Army does not provide hormone therapy or sex-reassignment surgery for gender-identity disorder. (truthout.org)
- The US Bureau of Prisons policy previously stated that "inmates who have undergone treatment for gender identity disorder will be maintained only at the level of change which existed when they were incarcerated. (truthout.org)
- That was changed in 2011 , and now each inmate with gender identity disorder is given an individualized assessment, meaning that if she were in a regular prison rather than a military one, Manning would have the opportunity to be evaluated for hormone therapy. (truthout.org)
- After years of campaigning by trans activists, the American Psychiatric Association has removed "gender-identity disorder" as a mental illness , and replaced it with the more neutral diagnostic term "gender dysphoria. (queerty.com)
- Well, calling it "Gender Identity Disorder" implied that it's the identity that's disordered, not the mismatch between the identity and the body. (queerty.com)
- The researchers compared various gender identity and sexual orientation groups with cisgender heterosexual women, who are usually the focus of eating disorder literature. (medicaldaily.com)
- He said that many people in the psychological community are changing the scope of what had been considered Gender Identity Disorder, which is defined as the "clinically significant distress or impairment" associated with the perceived incongruence between one's psychological/emotional "gender identity" and one's biological sex. (catholicreview.org)
- To describe the patients with gender identity disorder referred to a pediatric medical center. (aappublications.org)
- After establishment of a multidisciplinary gender clinic, the gender identity disorder population increased fourfold. (aappublications.org)
- Endocrine Society guidelines (2009) recommend pubertal suppression for adolescents with gender identity disorder until approximately age 16. (aappublications.org)
- This is the first study of a US cohort of children and adolescents with gender identity disorder. (aappublications.org)
- The diagnosis of gender identity disorder (GID), including both childhood and adolescent/young adult subtypes, is listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition . (aappublications.org)
- This feeling may arise in childhood, adolescence or adult hood and is referred to as Gender Identity Disorder and manifests as strong and persistent cross-gender identification and a persistent discomfort with their biological sex or a sense of inappropriateness in the gender role of that sex. (edu.au)
- Mental health experts say Bono and people like him have Gender Identity Disorder (GID). (cnn.com)
- As a leftover effect of the diagnosis of 'gender dysphoria' and 'gender identity disorder', trans people are often pressured to say essentialist things (they have 'always known they were a man/woman', they were 'born in the wrong body', etc) to legitimize their experiences and, in some cases, to gain access to medical treatment. (wordpress.com)
- With the exception of agender people, who often do not have an internal sense of gender, most people have a gender identity. (uua.org)
- There are some people who feel like they are more than one gender, for example bigender or pangender , and others who feel like they are no gender ( agender ). (wikipedia.org)
- Pansexual is newer and was intended to be more inclusive of ALL genders (agender and bigender come to mind). (sinfest.net)
- Agender individuals find that they have no gender identity, although some define this more as having a gender identity that is neutral. (advancementproject.org)
- The 2019 8th and 11th grade results are presented by male, female and non-binary/GNC (Transgender/Trans Female or Male, gender nonconforming, gender fluid/genderqueer, agender or something else. (oregon.gov)
Individual's gender identity3
- Previously, an individual's gender identity could be used against them in custody battles and other legal cases. (queerty.com)
- A genderfluid individual's gender identity could be multiple genders at once, and then switch to none at all, or move between single gender identities. (advancementproject.org)
- Attorney General Holder announced today that the Department of Justice will take the position in litigation that the protection of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 extends to claims of discrimination based on an individual's gender identity, including transgender status. (justice.gov)
- Gender identity , an individual's self-conception as being male or female, as distinguished from actual biological sex. (britannica.com)
- For most persons, gender identity and biological characteristics are the same. (britannica.com)
- In cases where biological sex was ambiguous at birth and errors in sexing were made, it has been almost impossible to reestablish the proper identity later in childhood or adolescence. (britannica.com)
- The guidance says: "We are aware that topics involving gender and biological sex can be complex and sensitive matters to navigate. (yahoo.com)
- Those who choose not to live with the "gender identity" that corresponds to their biological sex are known as "transgender" persons. (frc.org)
- There are debates about whether gender is defined by strictly biological characteristics or social attributes. (bartleby.com)
- The cultural expectation is that one's biological sex, gender identity, and gender expression will align in stereotypical ways: that someone who is male will identify as a boy/man and have a masculine gender expression, for example. (uua.org)
- In most societies, there is a basic division between gender attributes assigned to males and females, a gender binary to which most people adhere and which includes expectations of masculinity and femininity in all aspects of sex and gender: biological sex, gender identity, and gender expression. (wikipedia.org)
- Biological factors that influence gender identity include pre- and post-natal hormone levels. (wikipedia.org)
- Sheri Berenbaum, professor of psychology, Penn State, said the results - published in the Archives of Sexual Behavior - support the idea that gender development is a complex process that does not solely rely on either biological or social factors. (scienceblog.com)
- Berenbaum said the study was an opportunity for researchers from different backgrounds - some who look at gender from a biological perspective and some who view it from a socialization perspective - to work together to see how these perspectives merge. (scienceblog.com)
- Susan McHale, distinguished professor of human development and family studies, Penn State, agreed that the results suggest that gender development and segregation result from both biological and social influences. (scienceblog.com)
- He noted that biological and cultural differences in genders are well-documented. (catholicreview.org)
- Gender is one of the fundamental aspects of the personal and social identity as well as the biological, physiological, cultural and physiological characteristics of personal identity that is paramount to everyone. (essaysprofessors.com)
- This includes gender identity, the biological sex and gender expression. (essaysprofessors.com)
- In some of the societies, there exists a third gender, which belongs to those individuals who do not feel comfortable with their biological gender identity, usually in relation to their sex. (essaysprofessors.com)
- The two spirited gender in the native cultures in America is used to separate the social being form the social biological body. (essaysprofessors.com)
- This gender is a social concept used frequently by the Native Americans to define biological females and males, who assume social roles, in addition to other roles associated with them (William et al. (essaysprofessors.com)
- It is truly a time when all defining elements of creation are now subject to debate and classification by an unratified coterie of snake oil salesmen with doctorate degrees in psychology and sociology who have magically declared gender to be a social construction completely unrelated to the biological facts of sex. (townhall.com)
- It is important, however, to recall in this connection that the biological factor determining gender is not the chromosome pattern but the balance of hormones to which the body and brain is exposed from conception onwards. (heretical.com)
- discerning the difference between biological sex and gender identity , while noting that it is not binary. (humankinetics.com)
- Some people prefer to use different words for their gender identity, like genderqueer , and there are other terms as well. (wikipedia.org)
- Some people are attracted to members of multiple genders. (uua.org)
Person's gender identity2
- How do I talk about gender roles and stereotypes? (plannedparenthood.org)
- Farr believes that the findings may help attorneys, judges, social workers, and adoption agencies when they consider issues about how the sexual orientation of parents may influence the development of their children's gender roles. (springer.com)
- Sex, Gender- Gender Roles and Gender Identity Sex, gender- gender roles and gender identity, are words that one might assume to mean the same but in reality they don't. (bartleby.com)
- Gender roles resurfaced as a pivotal factor in my life during my late adolescence. (bartleby.com)
- 3) after this "peak of rigidity", fluidity returns and socially defined gender roles relax somewhat. (wikipedia.org)
- Social factors which may influence gender identity include ideas regarding gender roles conveyed by family, authority figures, mass media, and other influential people in a child's life. (wikipedia.org)
- When children are raised by individuals who adhere to stringent gender roles, they are more likely to behave in the same way, matching their gender identity with the corresponding stereotypical gender patterns. (wikipedia.org)
- Sometimes, other people are called transgender, too, when they do not fit society's expectations about gender roles -that is, how a male or female of a certain age and culture should look and act. (wikipedia.org)
- Travestis' feminine gender expression typically includes feminine dress, language, and social roles. (wikipedia.org)
- In our formative years, such watertight gender identities and their socially-accepted attributes are inculcated in our minds by assigning gender roles, but this whole hetero-normative approach to the issue of gender identity is losing its validity in a post-industrial urban milieu, where gender roles are not as strictly defined as they used to be in the medieval agricultural societies. (eurasiareview.com)
- However, the dilemma that we face is that the mindsets of individuals and gender roles are determined by the culture, but if the society itself is patriarchal and male-dominated, then it tends to marginalize and reduce women to a lower social status. (eurasiareview.com)
- and second, that essentially human nature is quite similar for both genders, it's only the behavioral process of social construction of gender identity that defines and limits the roles which are deemed proper for one gender or the other. (eurasiareview.com)
- They interviewed the girls about their activity interests, gender identity and attitudes about gender roles, among other things. (hindustantimes.com)
- Results of the multidimensional assessment of gender identity confirmed that various dimensions of gender identity played different roles in predicting career interests and gender typicality was the strongest predictor of career interests. (springer.com)
- As mentioned before sex refers to the biology you are born with, not that which you may choose and gender refers to the socially defined roles and characteristics of men and women associated with that sex. (edu.au)
- This gender identity applies to people, who assume the social roles of male or female, in addition to their other roles defined by the binary gender classification. (essaysprofessors.com)
- For instance, from a tender age a child may show an interest in the occupation or work, which is typically associated with the roles of the other gender. (essaysprofessors.com)
- Gender identity is, roughly, how you feel about your relationship to gender roles - whether you feel that that gender role that's been assigned to you is 'correct', whether you identify with other people who have been assigned the same gender role, whether people are perceiving your gender the way you'd like them to, and so on. (wordpress.com)
- But just as biology doesn't determine the way we in fact assign gender roles, it also doesn't determine how people experience gender identity. (wordpress.com)
- The Kansas State University LGBT Resource Center is committed to providing resources, education, and advocacy about sexuality and gender identity topics. (k-state.edu)
- To fill some of the gaps, we have added additional country profiles for all other countries that criminalize consensual same-sex conduct or gender expression, and for some other countries in which notable events related to LGBT rights took place in 2019. (hrw.org)
- Deeply-embedded homophobic and transphobic attitudes, often combined with a lack of adequate legal protection against discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation and gender identity, expose many lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people of all ages and in all regions of the world to egregious violations of their human rights. (ohchr.org)
- It follows the government's decision to drop plans to allow people to officially change gender without a medical diagnosis , a move that was criticised by LGBT charities. (yahoo.com)
- A 14-year-old teenager, Mario Luis Palmieri, had been found murdered and the hypothesis handled by the police was that of a homosexual crime of passion, unleashing one of the most famous persecutions of LGBT identities in the history of Paraguay. (wikipedia.org)
- Dr. Alex Keuroghlian , director of the National LGBT Health Education Center at The Fenway Institute who did not work on the paper, told Newsweek, "Disclosing gender identity to health care providers is necessary for receiving high-quality, culturally responsive, primary and preventative health care in all settings, yet unfortunately 46 percent of participants in this cross-sectional study reported avoiding this disclosure outside of gender clinics. (newsweek.com)
- If done well, data collection will help policymakers and advocates better understand and address health disparities affecting the LGBT community, while also protecting the confidentiality of those who volunteer information on their sexual orientation and gender identity. (americanprogress.org)
- This FAQ explains why collecting sexual orientation and gender identity data is important, how these data can be collected, and the protections in place for LGBT people who respond to these questions. (americanprogress.org)
- Sexual orientation and gender identity data will facilitate numerous activities of the health insurance exchanges, including measuring the effectiveness of health plan initiatives to promote cultural competency and quality improvement, assessing the insurance coverage needs of LGBT communities, and designing effective outreach policies and programs for connecting LGBT people and their families with affordable, high-quality coverage. (americanprogress.org)
- Most importantly, asking questions about sexual orientation and gender identity communicates to LGBT consumers that the exchanges are truly dedicated to fostering inclusivity and promoting insurance access for all. (americanprogress.org)
- Both LGBT and non-LGBT respondents found the sexual orientation question sensitive, with the former finding their own identity personal to talk about, and the latter finding the sexual orientation question culturally sensitive and more private. (bls.gov)
- Educate yourself and your preteen about gender identity, sexual orientation, and gender expression - and be a good role model. (plannedparenthood.org)
- The country profiles accompany a series of maps that show which countries criminalize consensual same-sex conduct or gender expression, the language of such laws, and the populations targeted, along with another series of maps showing where same-sex marriage or civil unions are legalized. (hrw.org)
- In several countries, laws against cross dressing are used to punish transgender people on the basis of their gender identity and expression. (ohchr.org)
- All people, irrespective of sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, are entitled to enjoy the protections provided for by international human rights law, including in respect of rights to life, security of person and privacy, the right to be free from torture, arbitrary arrest and detention, the right to be free from discrimination and the right to freedom of expression, association and peaceful assembly. (ohchr.org)
- Trans people routinely experience discrimination, harassment and even violence because their gender identity or gender expression is different from their birth-assigned sex. (ohrc.on.ca)
- Although gender identity and gender expression differ greatly from each other, they both affect society in positive and negative ways. (bartleby.com)
- While a person may express behaviors, attitudes, and appearances consistent with a particular gender role, such expression may not necessarily reflect their gender identity. (wikipedia.org)
- Prohibit discrimination against transgender employees by including "gender identity or expression" or "gender identity" among the list of protected categories in your firm-wide non-discrimination and anti-harassment policies. (hrc.org)
- Employment policies that delineate protected categories - especially the primary non-discrimination or Equal Employment Opportunity policy - must include the term "gender identity or expression" or "gender identity. (hrc.org)
- Many employers are changing their Equal Employment Opportunity policies to include gender identity or expression because it makes good business sense to create an inclusive workplace environment - not only for recruiting purposes, but also for internal morale and external relationships with clients and other business partners. (hrc.org)
- But employers are also changing their EEO policies because they have recognized that state and local governments, and the courts, are providing increasing legal protections to individuals on the basis of gender identity or expression. (hrc.org)
- Gender expression (also called, "gender presentation") means how a person dresses, looks, and acts, in ways that might affect how other people view their gender. (wikipedia.org)
- Gender expression (or gender presentation ) is how a person dresses, acts and behaves. (wikipedia.org)
- Most people have several factors that all match just one gender: an "assigned sex" (the label they were given at birth), gender expression (how they dress and act), and gender identity (what gender they feel they are inside). (wikipedia.org)
- It is possible to have every different combination of sex, gender identity, and gender expression. (wikipedia.org)
- Incorporate education about gender identity and gender expression in diversity and Equal Employment Opportunity compliance training programs. (hrc.org)
- The plan, which would have amended the county's existing gay-rights law to ban discrimination in housing, public accommodations and employment based on gender identity or expression, passed 11-1 on first reading. (miamiherald.com)
- even matches your gender expression, how you express your gender in the world. (coursera.org)
- and (4) similarly examines early judicial treatment of claims brought by individuals alleging discrimination on the basis of their gender identity and/or expression and explores how the law has developed in this area as well. (cali.org)
- Since a mentality change costs ages and many trans people (have to) buy into the "wrong body" discourse, there will be a continuing high call upon medical resources to appease our minds and boides and with that the world around us that gets terrified over the idea of non matching gender expression with genitalia (not only in the US, also in lliberal and tolerant netherlands for example). (queerty.com)
- A term for people whose gender expression is different from societal expectations related to gender. (advancementproject.org)
- In addition, gender is the criterion for social stratification and favoured symbol for the expression of different values and believes. (essaysprofessors.com)
- Currently, federal and state (Pennsylvania) anti-discrimination laws protect against discrimination on the basis of sex (male vs. female), but not sexual orientation or gender identity/expression. (jdsupra.com)
- However, a number of Pennsylvania municipalities have enacted ordinances prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and/or gender identity or expression. (jdsupra.com)
- The Human Rights Commission undertakes a number of projects to promote equality and end violence and discrimination against all people with a diverse sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, and sex characteristics. (hrc.co.nz)
- All people have the same rights and freedoms, regardless of their sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, and sex characteristics (SOGIESC). (hrc.co.nz)
- The report 'Prism' explores six human rights issues relating to people with a diverse sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, and sex characteristics in Aotearoa New Zealand. (hrc.co.nz)
- based violence is defined in these terms: Violence directed against a person because of that person's gender (including gender identity /expression) or as violence that affects persons of a particular gender disproportionality. (humankinetics.com)
- Gender identity isn't a magical innate thing - Our experience of gender is a combination of many things, including at least gender role, gender expression, and gender identity. (wordpress.com)
Different gender identities2
- Trans* can serve as a term that helps to refer to all of the identities within the gender identity/gender non-conforming/gender fluid spectrum. (k-state.edu)
- The fluidity of gender inherently means that there will be diverse identities and how an individual identifies within the gender spectrum can be different from person to person. (k-state.edu)
- Others argue that gender is a spectrum, rather than the dichotomy of male and female. (bartleby.com)
- Also the revised Diagnostic and Statistical Manual , the so-called psychiatrists' bible due out in May next year, is expected to give greater acknowledgement that gender is on a spectrum rather than being a strict male/female binary. (abc.net.au)
- Notwithstanding, instead of taking a binary approach to the classification of genders, modern feminists now favor to look at the issue from the prism of a whole spectrum of gender identities. (eurasiareview.com)
- rather, it should be about being human, which is the common denominator for the whole spectrum of gender identities. (eurasiareview.com)
- Gender identity is a wide spectrum beyond the binary of male and female. (coursera.org)
- because we're all on that gender spectrum. (coursera.org)
- the gender spectrum. (coursera.org)
- I'll pretend I'm 5 years old and I can count to 10 finally, and you explain to me transgender, and gender spectrum. (abovetopsecret.com)
- Gender, like sexuality, exists on a spectrum. (glamour.com)
- WPATH Standard of Care 7 recognizes that there is a spectrum of gender identities, and that choices of identity limited to Male or Female may be inadequate to reflect all gender identities: an option of X or Other (as examples) may be advisable. (tgeu.org)
- [xiii] High rates of suicide exist even among those who have already received gender reassignment surgery, which suggests that suicidal tendencies result from an underlying pathology. (frc.org)
- In 1979, the World Professional Association for Transgender Health established standards of care for the treatment of GID, which included partially irreversible cross-sex hormone therapy treatments (androgens for genotypic female individuals and estrogens for male individuals) for patients who had completed or nearly completed puberty, and fully irreversible gender reassignment surgery thereafter. (aappublications.org)
- You do not have to have gender reassignment surgery  to apply to change your gender marker or name on any legal document. (owjn.org)
- Young LGBTQ people especially need love and support as they figure out their identity. (plannedparenthood.org)
- Be clear about your values when it comes to the kind of love and respect people deserve, no matter their identity. (plannedparenthood.org)
- Expose your preteen to people who defy gender stereotypes (think: female athletes, male dancers, etc), are part of the LGBTQ community, or are just different than you. (plannedparenthood.org)
- Lots of people know that gender stereotypes are harmful for women. (plannedparenthood.org)
- Some people call themselves questioning, which means they aren't sure about their sexual orientation or gender identity . (plannedparenthood.org)
- In country after country, people have come together around issues of sexuality and gender-to organize against discrimination and abuse, to affirm their freedoms and their desires. (hrw.org)
- Clearly, the landscape of gender transitioning - including blocking puberty and medical treatment with cross-sex hormones - is shifting, both in terms of numbers wanting to transition and in the emergence of those who subsequently seek to reverse their transition, and concerns around the gender transitioning process in young people. (medscape.com)
- Now, an ex-staff member of England's only NHS Gender Identity Development Service (GIDS) for young people, at the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust, psychotherapist Sue Evans - who resigned because she felt so 'deeply concerned' about the fast-tracking of young people into medical treatment - is seeking a judicial review of the service. (medscape.com)
- I am writing to commend you on your Ministry's leadership in development of the new OPS Gender Identity Policy - Gender Identity and Sex Information on Public-Facing Government Products and Forms, and to call on you to build on this important work by removing other human rights barriers that face people with diverse gender identities and gender expressions across government. (ohrc.on.ca)
- It is crucial that gender stereotyping is addressed in schools and discussed in age-appropriate ways with children and young people: it is also crucial that young people questioning their gender identities are supported and listened to without judgment. (yahoo.com)
- Unitarian Universalism doesn't just open its doors to people of all sexual orientations and gender identities-we value diversity of sexuality and gender and see this diversity as a profound spiritual gift. (uua.org)
- Affectional orientation describes the pattern of a person's romantic attraction, or the gender of the people a person falls in love with or desires to partner with. (uua.org)
- Some people are exclusively attracted to members of only one gender. (uua.org)
- attracted to people of one's own gender and people of other gender(s). (uua.org)
- attracted to people regardless of gender. (uua.org)
- The social learning theory posits that children furthermore develop their gender identity through observing and imitating gender-linked behaviors, and then being rewarded or punished for behaving that way, thus being shaped by the people surrounding them through trying to imitate and follow them. (wikipedia.org)
- This Monday, some people may want to tune into the National Geographic Channel special "Gender Revolution: A Journey With Katie Couric. (pasadenastarnews.com)
- People often shy away from asking about sexuality and gender in surveys. (surveymonkey.com)
- in fact, significantly more people skipped the question about income than the question on sexual identity. (surveymonkey.com)
- and how other people see their gender as man, woman, boy, or girl matches how they feel about themselves. (wikipedia.org)
- For a few people, what they were called at birth or how other people see them does not match their gender identity. (wikipedia.org)
- This is different from gender identity because people can choose to look or behave one way even if that is not how they feel inside. (wikipedia.org)
- Sometimes people call this gender presentation or just presentation . (wikipedia.org)
- Some transgender people feel like they were born with a physical gender that does not match who they feel they are. (wikipedia.org)
- Some transsexual people change their body to make it more like their gender identity. (wikipedia.org)
- Some people may have a gender identity that is different from their sex. (wikipedia.org)
- The term travesti is used in Latin American countries-especially South American-to designate people who have been assigned male sex at birth, but develop a gender identity according to different expressions of femininity. (wikipedia.org)
- It is increasingly advised for people to treat travestis under the same language they would use to convey the identities women (cis and trans alike) adopt. (wikipedia.org)
- The use of this term, however, is also used for transfeminine people with self-identification identities other than travesti (such as literal translations of transsexual woman, transgender woman and trans woman), a politically loaded term, who are still not legally female, especially those who decide some forms of legally requested body modification, or those who for whatever reason still did not undergo such practices. (wikipedia.org)
- Gay activists nationally are seeking to protect transgender people from workplace, housing and other discrimination, and to provide physical and mental healthcare benefits for people in gender transition. (miamiherald.com)
- Transitioning is the process some transgender people go through to begin living as the gender with which they identify, rather than the sex assigned to them at birth. (miamiherald.com)
- For example, asking whether someone is transgender will exclude some transgender people who do not identify as such (e.g., a person who was born male but whose gender identity is female may check "female" rather than "transgender" on a form). (cdc.gov)
- The gender identity question also includes options for people who have a non-binary gender identity (people who do not identify as male or female). (cdc.gov)
- This would eliminate the ability of transgender people to change the gender markers on their birth certificates as part of their legal transition. (rvamag.com)
- At this time, only Ohio and Tennessee have an outright ban on transgender people changing the gender marker on their birth certificates. (rvamag.com)
- Not just because people will get the surgery they need, but because many states require surgeries in order to change identity documents. (sinfest.net)
- Since bi has been around so much longer and it's usually the thing people learn about first when they find themselves attracted to more than one gender a lot of people use it even though they can be attracted to people with other gender identities, too. (sinfest.net)
- This course explores the concept of gender identity for people who are curious about the nature of gender, the process of gender affirmation, or changing social dynamics. (coursera.org)
- Studies of endocrinology and gender identity are primarily based on research in people with disorders of sex development, which Dr. Rosenthal pointed out most transgender individuals do not have. (endocrineweb.com)
- A survey of young transgender and nonbinary people revealed most have at some point avoided disclosing their gender identity with healthcare workers outside of gender clinics. (newsweek.com)
- The study was limited, Sequeira acknowledged, because the participants included young people recruited from a multidisciplinary gender clinic and so the findings might not relate to those outside of this group. (newsweek.com)
- An event that brings together health care professionals, patients and young people to both ask and answer questions on gender identity is taking place in Glasgow today. (nhsggc.org.uk)
- The network will work with representatives from the four Gender Identity Clinics (GIC) across Scotland, and engage with patients, parents, carers, children, young people, health care professionals, gender identity service providers, service users and voluntary sector groups with an aim to improve the current service across Scotland. (nhsggc.org.uk)
- But removing it from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM) could cost trans people insurance coverage for hormone treatments and gender-reassigment surgery. (queerty.com)
- This study is the first to include enough transgender people to make meaningful comparisons to other gender identities, said Alexis E. Duncan, the study's senior author from George Warren Brown School of Social Work at Washington University in St. Louis. (medicaldaily.com)
- In a previous study, Algars found that transgender people may strive for thinness as an attempt to suppress features of their birth gender, or accentuate features of their self-identified gender, she told Reuters Health by email. (medicaldaily.com)
- It is important to recognize how eating disorders can be related to gender dysphoria and body dissatisfaction among transgender people, Algars said. (medicaldaily.com)
- On a more positive note, many transgender people report that gender reassignment treatment can alleviate body dissatisfaction and eating (disorders)," she said. (medicaldaily.com)
- People used to think that gender development and behaviour is based either on a person's biology or social environment. (hindustantimes.com)
- Because everyone has a sexual orientation and a gender identity, these questions will be relevant to all people who apply for coverage through exchanges. (americanprogress.org)
- What I would recommend and what I try to do in a pastoral situation," he said, "is speak of 'people who experience confusion regarding their sexual identity. (catholicreview.org)
- The hatred or fear of bisexual people - sometimes leading to acts of violence and expressions of hostility, often manifesting as the erasure of bisexual identities, experiences, and voices. (advancementproject.org)
- Pronounced "Latin-ex," is a gender neutral way to describe people of Latin American descent. (advancementproject.org)
- For people who don't understand the difference (or who have been misinformed their whole lives), the definitions of sex and gender can be tough to wrap one's mind around. (glamour.com)
- And this is why those "gender reveals" are problematic: People are making an awful lot of assumptions about a human who isn't even born yet simply based on their genitals. (glamour.com)
- Gendered occupational interests: Prenatal androgen effects on psychological orientation to Things versus People. (springer.com)
- Firstly, it determines the private sense of gender identity, which consists of acceptance and memberships to the category of people within the society. (essaysprofessors.com)
- Thus, in some of the communities the membership of any of the genders is open to all people. (essaysprofessors.com)
- The tiny minority of people who are confused about their sexual identity are not the real problem. (cmrlink.org)
- This issue does not center on the few people who suffer from gender dysphoria, a psychological condition that makes them vulnerable to emotional harm. (cmrlink.org)
- The CBA Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Community Section works to address the needs and concerns of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and two-spirited people within the CBA . (cba.org)
- Unfortunately, the government continues to keep information about people even after they change names or genders. (owjn.org)
- It's surprising how often people seem to assume that respecting people's gender identity means allowing that everyone has an innate, essential sense of gender that is not shaped by social or cultural factors. (wordpress.com)
- Sidenote: it's amazing how quickly people become anti-essentialist constructionists about gender once they think that's a good way to explain what's wrong/false/delusional about the claims of trans people. (wordpress.com)
- Some people identify with the gender role that is commonly associated with the sex characteristics they are born with. (wordpress.com)
- Some people identify with a different binary gender role. (wordpress.com)
- For some people, their gender identification changes and evolves over time. (wordpress.com)
- The Board of Directors of the World Professional Association for Transgender Health published on January 19, 2015, a statement recognizing the right of all people to legal identity recognition and to identity documents consonant with their gender identity. (tgeu.org)
- However, some governments erect many other legal barriers preventing trans people having congruent identity documents. (tgeu.org)
- The World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) recognizes the right of all people to legal identity recognition and to identity documents consonant with their gender identity. (tgeu.org)
- Therefore, the World Professional Association for Transgender Health urges governments to eliminate unnecessary barriers, and to institute simple and accessible administrative procedures for transgender people to obtain legal recognition of gender, consonant with each individual's identity, when gender markers on identity documents are considered necessary. (tgeu.org)
- We're particularly concerned by some of the confusing wording on teaching about trans identities, which only tells teachers what they shouldn't teach about, rather than what they should. (yahoo.com)
- She added: "Stonewall has always been clear that teachers shouldn't make assumptions about whether a child is trans because they don't conform to gender stereotypes, in the same way that we have always advised that teachers should not make assumptions about a child's sexual orientation. (yahoo.com)
- Nevertheless, such conception of the differences between travesti and transsexual has become disputed, as this invalidates the identities of many travestis and trans women alike, measuring a "valid identity" by one's degree of dysphoria and body modification, rather than self-identification. (wikipedia.org)
- At The Trevor Project, we hear from LGBTQ youth in crisis every day and we know that affirming trans youth in their identities is critical to their health and wellbeing. (rvamag.com)
- Congrats to my home state for taking this important step to protect the rights of trans and gender non-conforming folks. (feministing.com)
- In my "past life" as a teacher, I've had students tell me all sorts of things about their identity, ranging from a conversation with a teen who was unsure about her relationship with a male classmate because of her feelings for a female friend, to a trans student who told me that he always felt like a boy but his parents insisted that he was a girl. (glamour.com)
- For many Two Spirit, Nonbinary and Trans individuals, the information on their legal documents does not match their lived identities. (owjn.org)
- Curiously, neither Reilly-Cooper nor Green engage with any of the rich literature on gender identity or trans feminism. (wordpress.com)
- These legal barriers are harmful to trans people's health because they make social transition more difficult, put congruent identity documents out of the reach of many, and even contribute to trans people's vulnerability to discrimination and violence. (tgeu.org)
Working on sexual orientation1
- a) Organizations working on sexual orientation and gender identity are still under-resourced and severely isolated. (hrw.org)
- 2 "This suggests that prenatal and early postnatal androgens play some role in gender identity development," Dr. Rosenthal said. (endocrineweb.com)
- Active prenatal androgen effects appeared to dramatically increase the likelihood of recognition of male sexual identity independent of sex-of-rearing. (nih.gov)
- A study suggests that prenatal exposure to male hormones can influence which activities girls are interested in, but the effects do not extend to gender identity. (hindustantimes.com)
- Prenatal exposure to male hormones influences which activities girls are interested and engage in, but the effects of those hormones don't extend to gender identity or who they socialize with, according to Penn State researchers. (scienceblog.com)
- transgender, transsexual, or gender-nonconforming status should not preclude individuals from enjoying the legal recognition all citizens expect and deserve. (tgeu.org)
- Now TDCJ policy has been revised to evaluate and give hormone treatment to those who are later diagnosed with gender dysphoria and other intersex conditions. (breitbart.com)
Sexual orientation and gender identity questions8
- In fact, previous studies have found that many health care providers assumed that sexual orientation and gender identity questions would offend their patients. (psychcentral.com)
- Now a new study by Mayo Clinic suggests that these worries were unfounded: The findings show that up to 97 percent of patients are comfortable with their health care provider asking sexual orientation and gender identity questions. (psychcentral.com)
- A total of 491 new patients were given routine intake forms, or intake forms with sexual orientation and gender identity questions. (psychcentral.com)
- As institutions begin to ask sexual orientation and gender identity questions, a simple explanation of why the information is being collected may increase patient participation, the researchers suggest. (psychcentral.com)
- Administrative data collection efforts by federally supported health programs under agencies such as the Health Resources and Services Administration and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration currently include sexual orientation and gender identity questions. (americanprogress.org)
- The primary developers of sexual orientation and gender identity questions have included the Sexual Minority Research Team, or SMART, group at the Williams Institute-a national sexual orientation and gender identity law and policy think tank at the UCLA School of Law-and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (americanprogress.org)
- Results indicate that, in general, respondents understood the sexual orientation and gender identity questions as intended and were able to provide an answer without much difficulty. (bls.gov)
- Cognitive interviews suggest that proxy response may be effective for sexual orientation and gender identity questions, with respondents generally being willing and able to answer the questions about other household members. (bls.gov)
- More adolescents than ever are being referred for treatment at gender identity centres in the UK, leaving under-resourced services that facilitate transition to the opposite sex struggling to cope with demand. (medscape.com)
- In many cases, the individual can identify with the gender of the opposite sex to the point one believes that he or she is a member of that gender group trapped in the wrong body. (bartleby.com)
Sexuality and gender1
- High school is a challenging thing to deal with especially if sexuality and gender identity are in the process. (bartleby.com)
- Some Latin American activists will speak of travesti identities, some South Asians of "third gender. (hrw.org)
- An individual's internal sense of being a man, a woman, neither of these, both, and so on-it is one's inner sense of being and one's own understanding of how one relates to the gender binary. (uua.org)
- But this emphasis on binary distinction of genders in a rural-agrarian setting served a purpose: the division of functions between male and female members, where women were expected to do housekeeping and nurturing children, while it was expected from men to produce food for the family. (eurasiareview.com)
- But we live in a world that is a gender binary. (coursera.org)
- Refers to an identity under the non-binary, and transgender umbrellas. (advancementproject.org)
- It also moves beyond [email protected] to encompass genders outside of the limiting male-female binary. (advancementproject.org)
- For instance, in most of the western societies, there is the existence of a gender binary. (essaysprofessors.com)
- According to the press release, the show is meant to challenge issues of gender in an attempt to provide freedom "from the masculine/feminine binary. (ocweekly.com)
- The Society believes that employment decisions should be made on the basis of an individual's qualifications for a job, such as education, experience and demonstrated competencies, not on the basis of non-job-related characteristics, including sexual orientation and gender identity. (shrm.org)
- Numerous gray and white matter studies suggest that some sexually dimorphic structures more closely align with gender identity than with physical sex, and that these brain structures more closely align with gender identity than physical sex characteristics in transgender individuals, even before they had received cross-sex hormones. (endocrineweb.com)
- Berenbaum said this tendency has been hypothesized to result from such factors as gender identity and personal characteristics. (scienceblog.com)
- This may be regarded as one of the most direct tests of the relative power of society and hormones in determining gender identity and sex-role characteristics, and the hormones appear victorious. (heretical.com)
- Gender identity and sex-of-rearing in children with disorders of sexual differentiation. (nih.gov)
- To compare declared sexual identity to sex-of-rearing in individuals with disorders of sexual differentiation. (nih.gov)
- About time - homosexuality was removed from the list of mental disorders 4 decades ago, not sure why it took so long for the APA to apply the logic used removing homosexuality to gender dysphoria. (queerty.com)
- Dr. Zucker is the chair of the newly appointed Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders working group for the 5th edition of American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM-V). Dr. Bailey is Professor of Psychology at Northwestern University, prolific sexual orientation researcher and moderator of the SEXNET list. (patheos.com)
- The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition - commonly known as the DSM-5, used by the psychological profession - notes that gender dysphoria is rare, about 5 to 14 in 100,000 males and 2 to 3 in 100,000 females. (catholicreview.org)
- We identify changes in patients after creation of the multidisciplinary Gender Management Service by expanding the Disorders of Sex Development clinic to include transgender patients. (aappublications.org)
- But such machismo is not a natural order of things, because more than the physical attributes, the rigid segregation of genders is a product of social constructions that manifest themselves in the artificial cognitive and behavioral engineering of male and female mindsets. (eurasiareview.com)
- According to the researchers, children typically begin spending more time socializing with children of their own gender in early childhood, referred to as "sex segregation. (scienceblog.com)
- Gender segregation of careers is still prominent in the U.S. workforce. (springer.com)
- NHS England has now published its service specification, Gender Identity Development Service (GIDS) for Children and Adolescents (PDF), and policy proposition, Prescribing of Cross-Sex Hormones as part of the Gender Identity Development Service for Children and Adolescents (PDF), following its consultation process. (gires.org.uk)
- So we're trying to delve into how hormones and socialization both affect gender development. (scienceblog.com)
- Additionally, they found that the majority of girls with classical CAH identified as girls and had typical attitudes about gender, which could contribute to their interacting mainly with other girls, a pattern that suggests that hormones may not have an effect on gender identity and attitudes, according to Berenbaum. (scienceblog.com)
- Although cross-sex hormones and genital reconstructive surgery promote cross-gender physical features, they often fail to achieve the appearance of the affirmed gender. (aappublications.org)
- Middle schoolers may start to have lots of questions about gender and sexual orientation. (plannedparenthood.org)
- Learn more about gender and sexual orientation so you can be more confident in your answers. (plannedparenthood.org)
- The report is based on answers to questions Human Rights Watch asked (in surveys and in interviews) to 100 leading sexual rights activists from some 50 countries, all with long experience in the areas of sexual orientation and gender identity. (hrw.org)
- The Holy See appreciates the attempts made in the statement on human rights, sexual orientation and gender identity -presented at the UN General Assembly on 18 December 2008- to condemn all forms of violence against homosexual persons as well as urge States to take necessary measures to put an end to all criminal penalties against them. (vatican.va)
- In particular, the categories 'sexual orientation' and 'gender identity', used in the text, find no recognition or clear and agreed definition in international law. (vatican.va)
- The Independent Expert on protection against violence and discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity is appointed by the UN Human Rights Council. (ohchr.org)
- The mandate holder has been invited to assess the implementation of existing international human rights instruments with regard to ways to overcome violence and discrimination against persons on the basis of their sexual orientation or gender identity, and to identify and address the root causes of violence and discrimination. (ohchr.org)
- to conduct, facilitate and support the provision of advisory services, technical assistance, capacity-building and international cooperation in support of national efforts to combat violence and discrimination against persons on the basis of their sexual orientation or gender identity. (ohchr.org)
- a) transmits urgent appeals and letters of allegation to States with regard to cases of violence and discrimination against persons on the basis of their sexual orientation or gender identity. (ohchr.org)
- This video explains the work of the UN Independent Expert on protection against violence and discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, the IE SOGI. (ohchr.org)
- Some say that sexual orientation and gender identity are sensitive issues. (ohchr.org)
- As men and women of conscience, we reject discrimination in general, and in particular discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity. (ohchr.org)
- So in order to help close these health care disparities, doctors would need to ask patients about their sexual and gender orientation. (psychcentral.com)
- Our results should help ease the concerns of providers who want to deliver the highest-quality care for their patients but may not ask sexual orientation or gender identity questions for fear of distressing or offending their patients," said study coauthor Joan Griffin, Ph.D., a health services researcher at Mayo Clinic. (psychcentral.com)
- On 7 March 2012, a panel discussion took place at the Human Rights Council on violence and discrimination against individuals based on their sexual orientation and gender identity. (ohchr.org)
- The objective of the panel was to facilitate constructive, informed and transparent dialogue on the issue of discriminatory laws and practices and acts of violence against individuals based on sexual orientation and gender identity and generate greater agreement among States on the way forward. (ohchr.org)
- Four panelists from different regions were invited to discuss the findings and recommendations of the report of the High Commissioner on violence and discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity (document ref. (ohchr.org)
- The panel also provided an opportunity for States to share their national experiences and examples of good practice, and to consider how the Human Rights Council can ensure that in future it is kept adequately informed about and able to respond effectively to human rights violations based on sexual orientation and gender identity. (ohchr.org)
- ALEXANDRIA, Va. - The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) Board of Directors has adopted a public policy statement that supports efforts to prevent workplace discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity. (shrm.org)
- President Barack Obama today signed an executive order protecting employees of federal contractors and federal workers from discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity. (shrm.org)
- SHRM supports public policy efforts to bar workplace discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity. (shrm.org)
- Employers should be prohibited from making employment decisions on the basis of an employee's sexual orientation or gender identity. (shrm.org)
- To the extent that same-sex relationships, sexual orientation and gender identity issues may be contrary to particular religious beliefs, religious and religious-affiliated organizations should be permitted to make employment decisions on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity, if the nature of the employment requires that a position or occupation be filled by an employee of a particular religion or religious belief. (shrm.org)
- Parental sexual orientation and family type did not affect children's gender conformity or nonconformity in any significant way," emphasizes Farr. (springer.com)
- The legislation prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity in housing, public and private employment, public accommodations, and access to credit. (thedenverchannel.com)
- Sexual orientation describes the pattern of a person's sexual attractions based on gender. (uua.org)
- a term used to describe someone who is unsure of or exploring their sexual orientation and/or gender identity. (uua.org)
- Do you have questions concerning sexual orientation or gender identity? (newswire.ca)
- Our listeners also respond to calls from parents, friends, professionals and anyone else who desires information about sexual orientation and gender identity. (newswire.ca)
- In a decision that could have potentially far-reaching consequences, the U.S. Supreme Court has said it will hear cases involving claims that sexual orientation and gender identity should be included under current federal protections barring sex discrimination. (catholicnewsagency.com)
- So what's the best way to ask about sexuality orientation and gender identity? (surveymonkey.com)
- If you're nervous about asking questions about sexual orientation and gender identity (survey researchers call them SOGI questions), we've got data to calm some of your fears. (surveymonkey.com)
- For example, here are the two SurveyMonkey Question Bank questions on sexual orientation and transgender identity. (surveymonkey.com)
- Even if you've written a good question on sexual orientation or gender identity and you know respondents will be comfortable answering it, there might still be a valid reason for not asking it in your next survey. (surveymonkey.com)
- Travestis might identify under any sexual orientation under the assumption of the "defining feature" of their identity being either their gender designated at birth or their feminine socio-psychological identity. (wikipedia.org)
- Many health care providers do not routinely discuss sexual orientation or gender identity (SO/GI) with patients, and many health care facilities have not developed systems to collect structured SO/GI data from all patients. (cdc.gov)
- Over 600 NGOs from 151 countries have signed a Joint Civil Society Statement calling on the Human Rights Council of the United Nations to appoint an Independent Expert to address human rights violations based on sexual orientation and gender identity (SOGI). (aidspan.org)
- Why collect data on sexual orientation and gender identity? (americanprogress.org)
- While sexual orientation and gender identity data may not initially be sufficiently robust to facilitate stratification or other detailed analysis, initiating collection of these data is vital to establishing a baseline and, over time, identifying patterns of practice that point to opportunities for the exchanges to improve efforts to serve their diverse consumer populations. (americanprogress.org)
- What kind of questions can exchanges use to collect information about sexual orientation and gender identity? (americanprogress.org)
- Sexual orientation and gender identity have several different components related to demographics and legal relationship status, all of which have relevance to the exchanges' activities. (americanprogress.org)
- Though the administrative and population survey data collection contexts are different, there is substantial overlap in research exploring how best to collect sexual orientation and gender identity data under various circumstances. (americanprogress.org)
- Sexual orientation and gender identity are distinct components of a person's identity. (advancementproject.org)
- Neither sex nor gender refers to orientation or choice. (edu.au)
- In 2016, the Department of Labor sponsored research to explore "the feasibility of adding sexual orientation and gender identity (SOGI) questions to the Current Population Survey (CPS). (bls.gov)
- Those that did indicate gender identity sensitivity had similar reasons as sexual orientation, with the topic being private generally. (bls.gov)
- The Court will rule on whether current federal anti-discrimination laws protect employees based on sexual orientation and gender identity. (thegospelcoalition.org)
- For example, one municipality may protect against transgender identity discrimination while another municipality may protect only against sexual orientation discrimination. (jdsupra.com)
- Collecting Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Data in Electronic Health Records: Workshop Summary reviews the statement of task set to the committee which required them to collect sexual orientation and gender identity data in electronic health records. (nap.edu)
- This report summarizes the invited presentations and facilitated discussions about current practices around sexual orientation and gender identity data collection, the challenges in collecting these data, and ways in which these challenges can be overcome. (nap.edu)
- This checklist can help organizations make sure that their dress codes and uniform policies are consistent with Ontario's Human Rights Code protections relating to sex and gender, as set out in the OHRC's Policy position on sexualized and gender-specific dress codes . (ohrc.on.ca)
- This important shift will ensure that the protections of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 are extended to those who suffer discrimination based on gender identity, including transgender status," said Attorney General Holder. (justice.gov)
- Gender identity is linked to a person's sense of self, and the sense of being male or female. (ohrc.on.ca)
- It therefore appears that having both a male and female role model in the home is not necessary for facilitating typical gender development among adopted children, nor does it discourage gender nonconformity. (springer.com)
- whose self-identity does not conform precisely to conventional notions of the male or female gender. (bartleby.com)
- There is apparently something called a "gender identity" which is "a person's deep internal sense of being female, male, a combination of both, somewhere in between or neither" . (mercatornet.com)
- A person may be assigned female at birth but have a male gender identity. (wikipedia.org)
- This man may have a male gender identity and a male sex. (wikipedia.org)
- He may also have a male gender role most of the time, but when he 'does drag' he may have a female gender role. (wikipedia.org)
- Transgender" is defined as "a person whose gender identity (i.e. internal sense of feeling male or female) is different from the person's assigned sex at birth. (breitbart.com)
- The distinction between male and female genders is based less on their physiological traits and more on their respective mindsets. (eurasiareview.com)
- When we stress upon manliness, it's not manliness per se that we are glorifying, but the presence of feminine attributes in the socially-elevated male gender is something that we, as the agents of patriarchal structure, frown upon. (eurasiareview.com)
- Additionally, even regarding physiological distinction between male and female genders, evolutionary biologists are of the opinion that such differences only have a minor importance. (eurasiareview.com)
- The inmate, who was born into an ultra-Orthodox household as a male and began her gender transformation in adolescence, is serving her third jail term and is required to be in her cell in the isolation wing at night. (haaretz.com)
- In a study of 250 genetic females with congenital adrenal hyperplasia who were raised as females, 95% identified as females in adulthood and 5% identified as males or with gender dysphoria, which is at least 10 to 20 times more frequent than in a control population for female-to-male transgenderism. (endocrineweb.com)
- six (55%) declared female identity and five (45%) declared male identity. (nih.gov)
- parents of four patients rejected their declarations of male identity. (nih.gov)
- In response to youth comments regarding other topics that should be included in the OHT Survey, the gender question was expanded in the 2017 OHT Survey to include multiple options for those who identify as neither exclusively male nor female. (oregon.gov)
- This is a social dichotomy, which enforces conformance to the male or female gender identity in all aspects of gender and sexuality. (essaysprofessors.com)
- She shows a drivers' license that indicates her gender is "male. (americanbar.org)
- The interesting thing about these individuals is that, although raised as girls, they have little difficulty in adjusting to a male identity after their bodily conversion at puberty. (heretical.com)
- The government also continues to use the term "sex" in some documents to refer to gender identity, and the terms "Male" and "Female" in its documentation. (owjn.org)
- And, Northam signed a bill that requires the state's Department of Motor Vehicles to offer a nonbinary gender marker for driver's licenses. (thedenverchannel.com)
- An identity under the nonbinary and transgender umbrella terms. (advancementproject.org)
- The other layer to all of this is that gender is nonbinary, meaning that there's not an either-or choice at all. (glamour.com)
- In 2019, Stiles plans to return to working in East Africa with a project on Islamic inheritance law, gender and customary land rights in Zanzibar. (unr.edu)
One's own gender1
- Gender identity is the personal sense of one's own gender. (wikipedia.org)
- Evans is increasingly concerned about the fast-tracking of adolescents into treatment for gender dysphoria, including puberty blocking and cross-sex hormone treatment. (medscape.com)
- These documents do not adequately meet the needs of gender variant children and adolescents. (gires.org.uk)
- These include the treatments provided for gender variant children and adolescents. (gires.org.uk)
- 1 Adolescents with GID must display strong and persistent cross-gender identifications, discomfort with his or her sex, and exhibit significant distress from gender dysphoria. (aappublications.org)
- Farr and her team examine how gender-typical behavior develops over time within different family structures, and whether it remains relatively consistent as children grow older. (springer.com)
- The types of play and behavior that most children displayed were found to be typical of their gender, and already appeared to be set in motion from early childhood onwards. (springer.com)
- To ensure compliance with employment policies, all employees should at a minimum have clear guidance regarding appropriate workplace behavior and the consequences of failing to comply with anti-discrimination policies that include gender identity. (hrc.org)
- A fresh and challenging re-evaluation of the interrelationship between sexual and gender behavior and aggression. (routledge.com)
- 2008). The Dutch group speculates that their girls were, at initial presentation, more extreme in their cross-gender behavior than the girls that we reported on, but that will require more careful analysis. (patheos.com)
- Two possible candidates are age at initial evaluation (later age associated with greater persistence rates) and quantitative metrics of cross-gender behavior in childhood. (patheos.com)
- People's gender identity may be different from their birth-assigned sex. (ohrc.on.ca)
- From what I've gathered, bisexual is an older term that just refers to being attracted to two genders (generally assumed to be men and women). (sinfest.net)
- As a cisgender woman, I cannot begin to know or even pretend to know the experience of someone who identifies as any other gender identity. (glamour.com)
Incongruence between one's1
- The new policy says that the definition of "Gender Dysphoria" (GD) is "the clinically significant distress or impairment that is associated with the marked incongruence between one's experienced or expressed gender and one's assigned gender for a specified time. (breitbart.com)
- Drawing on a series of previously unpublished controlled research studies on rapists, pedophiles, incest offenders, voyeurs, transsexuals, and homosexuals (among others), the book offers startling new findings- e.g., crossdressing and feminine gender identity in rapists believed to be ultra-masculine, aggressiveness in pedophiles believed to be shy and passive. (routledge.com)
- The "x" makes Latino, a masculine identifier, gender-neutral. (advancementproject.org)
- Participants reported their sex-typed personality traits (masculine and feminine traits), gender identities (gender typicality, contentment, felt pressure to conform, and intergroup bias), and interests in sex-typed careers. (springer.com)
- Men's sex-typed personality traits and gender typicality were predictive of their masculine career interests even more so when the interaction of their masculine traits and gender typicality were considered. (springer.com)
- There has also been a giant switch from boys to girls presenting - natal female referrals for gender dysphoria have grown from 42% of the total in 2009-2010 to 72% in 2017-2018. (medscape.com)
- C. J. Pascoe 's unusual approach questions masculinity as not only a gender process but also a sexual one. (bartleby.com)
- Masculinity as a theory, some sociologists and psychologist often viewed the gender differences as vital to personal development of a society. (bartleby.com)
- The focus used on the body in the study "Dude, You're a Fag" masculinity is embedded in the biology as the study of gender is not reliable. (bartleby.com)
- In any case Money's early conclusions related specifically to gender identity , not the broader aspects of masculinity and femininity which are under partly separate brain control, being laid down in different area of the brain and at different phases of pre-natal development (Ellis and Ames, 1987). (heretical.com)
- This self-identity problem can usually be accompanied by numerous forms of treatment to change ones' physical appearance, and make it more consistent with their identified gender identity. (bartleby.com)
- Therefore, a social reform is needed which can redefine "virtue" and the qualities that are deemed valuable in human beings should be uniform and consistent for both genders. (eurasiareview.com)
- Interim NHS England Gender Dysphoria Protocol and Guideline 2013/14 - CPAG Approved 12th July 2013 "In 2012/13, NHS England's Clinical Reference Groups (CRGs) were asked to develop a number of draft service specifications and commissioning policies, to support the nationally consistent commissioning of specialised services across the country. (gires.org.uk)
- Findings from this study suggest that gender development is more complex than a simple matter of socialization and are consistent with the idea that nature and nurture interact to explain gender development, and they illuminate one such interactive process. (scienceblog.com)
- These will include mandatory indoctrination in unscientific theories about gender in all Department of Defense schools and academies, infringements on personal privacy in conditions of forced intimacy, demoralizing pressures on military doctors and nurses to violate religious convictions or medical ethics, erosion of trust in leadership, and diversion of scarce time and resources in pursuit of social agendas that are not consistent with core values in the military. (cmrlink.org)
- All of this is consistent with gender identity as it is currently experienced being a product of the - contingent, non-essential - ways our society happens to divide itself into genders. (wordpress.com)
- There must be evidence of a strong and persistent gross-gender identification, which is the desire to be, or the insistence that one is of the other sex. (psychnet-uk.com)
- There must also be evidence of persistent discomfort about one s assigned sex or a sense of inappropriateness in the gender role of that sex. (psychnet-uk.com)
- A strong persistent cross-gender identification (not merely a desire for any perceived cultural advantages of being the other sex). (psychnet-uk.com)
- Persistent discomfort with his or her sex or sense of inappropriateness in the gender role of that sex. (psychnet-uk.com)
- Taken in tandem with the accompanying music video-in which the artist is dressed as a boy, puts on female drag and the machine, and then goes on a date with a girl-it's one of the few pieces in the show that's overtly confrontational about gender. (ocweekly.com)
- Middle school is when your preteen starts asking these questions and exploring their identity in all kinds of ways. (plannedparenthood.org)
- We consider how these areas may interact with questions of gendered identity, agency and wellbeing. (sussex.ac.uk)
- if you need to find out specific breakdowns by LGBTQ identity, it's better to ask multiple questions instead of just one. (surveymonkey.com)
- Researchers at UCLA conducted an experiment asking separate questions on gender and transgender identities versus asking one combined gender and transgender question. (surveymonkey.com)
- A person who expresses as and identifies with the gender they were assigned at birth. (advancementproject.org)
- Being the country with the largest population of travestis (where they are even invoked as cultural icons), Brazil is the country with the longest experience in the study of these identities, and the works written in and about Brazil outnumber those of any other Latin American country. (wikipedia.org)
- Like an individual's concept of his or her sex role , gender identity develops by means of parental example, social reinforcement, and language. (britannica.com)
- Your preteen's ideas about gender can play a big role in these interests. (plannedparenthood.org)
- The changing shape and role of the state and the rise of the corporate/private sector as an important player in development are important institutional changes in the contemporary social development arena, whilst development programmes and policies articulated through different sectors also impact on processes of social change and gender relations. (sussex.ac.uk)
- How do racial identities play a role in the development of professional athletes? (bartleby.com)
- Gender plays an enormous role in every society around the world. (bartleby.com)
- Barbara Newmann breaks it down into four parts: (1) understanding the concept of gender, (2) learning gender role standards and stereotypes, (3) identifying with parents, and (4) forming gender preference. (wikipedia.org)
- John Money was instrumental in the early research of gender identity, though he used the term gender role. (wikipedia.org)
- Conversely, patients with schizophrenia may experience alterations in gender identity and gender role perception. (hindawi.com)
- The central role played by this dissatisfaction and distress has led to the condition being renamed "gender dysphoria" (GD) in the DSM-5, though the term "gender incongruence" (GI) has also been proposed by some authors [ 1 ]. (hindawi.com)
- Recent studies provide evidence that biology plays a role in transgender identity development, explained Stephen M. Rosenthal, MD, at the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE) 25th Annual Scientific & Clinical Congress, May 25-29, 2016 in Orlando, Florida. (endocrineweb.com)
- The data that support a role of biology in gender identity development basically come from three different biomedical disciplines: from genetics, endocrinology, and brain studies. (endocrineweb.com)
- The current study was designed to investigate the role of sex-typed personality traits and gender identity in predicting emerging adults' interests in sex-typed careers. (springer.com)
- This answer implies that we get to choose our gender role but this, of course, is not true. (edu.au)
- Gender plays a fundamental role in the defining an individual's private sense and subjective experiences. (essaysprofessors.com)
- Research by John Money and others over the past few decades has shown that when a child is born hermaphroditic (of indeterminate sex) but is decisively identified as one sex or the other by doctors and parents from a very early age, that child will usually be fairly accepting of the assigned gender and the social role that accompanies it (Money and Ehrhardt, 1972). (heretical.com)
- Gender role is, roughly, a matter of how you interact with the wider social world, how others react to you, and what norms and expectations are placed on you based on ideas about your gender. (wordpress.com)
- On this way of thinking about things, gender identity is just as contingent, fluid, and socially constructed as gender role . (wordpress.com)
- It's just different than gender role. (wordpress.com)
- The study published in the Journal of Adolescent Health involved a total of 153 patients at a multidisciplinary gender clinic in Southwestern Pennsylvania, aged between 12- to 26-years-old. (newsweek.com)
- Patients were referred for medical treatment to a pediatric center that supports a multidisciplinary Gender Management Service. (aappublications.org)
- An array of new laws has been adopted - including laws banning discrimination, penalizing homophobic and transphobic hate crimes, granting recognition of same-sex relationships, and making it easier for transgender individuals to obtain official documents that reflect their preferred gender. (ohchr.org)
- Is it all in the mind, or are there some neurobiological reasons why these individuals feel they've been born with the wrong gender? (abc.net.au)
- In the last decade transgender and gender nonconforming (TGNC) individuals have become increasingly visible in our families, culture, and public discourse. (coursera.org)
- I just cannot imagine what gender dyyphoric individuals go through. (queerty.com)
- Gender-related individual differences variables: New concepts, methods, and findings. (springer.com)
- Younger generations tend to use the term "queer" for reasons such as the fact that it does not assume the gender of the queer person or the gender of any potential romantic partners, and/or in order to make a political statement about the fluidity of gender. (advancementproject.org)