Play and Playthings
Monitoring of rate of occurrence of specific conditions to assess the stability or change in health levels of a population. It is also the study of disease rates in a specific cohort such as in a geographic area or population subgroup to estimate trends in a larger population. (From Last, Dictionary of Epidemiology, 2d ed)
Biography as Topic
Encyclopedias as Topic
Permanent roads having a line of rails fixed to ties and laid to gage, usually on a leveled or graded ballasted roadbed and providing a track for freight cars, passenger cars, and other rolling stock. Cars are designed to be drawn by locomotives or sometimes propelled by self-contained motors. (From Webster's 3d) The concept includes the organizational and administrative aspects of railroads as well.
On 3 December 1981 a landslide destroyed homes around Herringson Avenue and Shirley Road. From the early 1990s this ... Major corporate projects have gradually replaced lower-end retail enterprises.[failed verification] An influx of middle-class ... One building is the former Convent built in the 1920s to replace an earlier wooden structure which burnt down. It is currently ... The developers largely laid out Grey Lynn's streets as straight roads (as opposed to the earlier farm roads such as Richmond ...
In early 1971 his single "I'm a Memory" reached the top 30. Felton Jarvis contacted Nelson for the recording of his next album ... He had divorced his wife, Shirley Collie, and his Tennessee ranch had been destroyed by a fire. After moving to a new home in ... Nelson had no major success. His royalties were invested in tours that did not produce significant profits. In addition to the ... Nelson had been recording for RCA Victor since the early 1960s, and had no significant hits. By 1970, his recordings had ...
The Music Man (1962 film)
Marian sings the song in B major. It is revealed that "Harold Hill" is an alias used by the salesman while in River City. Early ... Shirley Jones "Shipoopi" - Buddy Hackett, The Ensemble "Till There Was You" - Shirley Jones "It's You" - Buffalo Bills (does ... Shirley Jones, Pert Kelton "Goodnight, My Someone" - Shirley Jones "Ya Got Trouble/Seventy-Six Trombones" - Robert Preston, The ... Marcellus recognizes him and calls him by his real name, "Gregory." Shirley Jones was pregnant while the film was in production ...
Queen Henrietta's Men
On this list, the name "Shirley" refers to the prominent dramatist James Shirley, not the obscure dramatist Henry Shirley, ... The company staged revivals along with new plays; their 1633 production of Marlowe's The Jew of Malta was a major success. They ... Timothy Read was as early member (he was in The Wedding); after a period with the King's Revels Men, he returned for The ... and Shirley's Love Tricks.) Shearlock must have been a man of girth, since he performed the fat-man role of Lodam in Shirley's ...
Other major programs that Coestrellas broadcast were foreign imports (enlatados), such as CHiPs and Laverne and Shirley. In ... It was liquidated in 2003, one of the last casualties of the programadoras crisis of the early 2000s. There were five original ... In 1984, Dejémonos de Vainas, a major success for the programadora, premiered on that same channel, airing on Friday nights. In ... Facing the programadoras crisis that had started a few years earlier, it allied with Datos y Mensajes, Mejía & Asociados and ...
Other major figures who recorded for Topic included Peggy Seeger, The Watersons, Shirley Collins, June Tabor and John Tams. The ... One of the earliest albums of UK traditional music was Street Songs and Fiddle Tunes of Ireland by Margaret Barry and Michael ... In 2012, this venerable old label began to re-release many of the LPs from its early catalogue in digital form. However, in a ... Topic Records is a British folk music label, which played a major role in the second British folk revival. It began as an ...
It was contested over 1¼ miles, and it became a major trial for The Derby. It continued until the early 1960s. The present ... The inaugural running was won by the subsequent Derby winner Shirley Heights. It was renamed the Newmarket Stakes in 1986. The ... It was usually held on the final day of the venue's First Spring meeting in late April or early May. It was run on the Ditch ... It is run over a distance of 1 mile and 2 furlongs (2,012 metres) on the Rowley Mile at Newmarket in late April or early May. ...
1994 Hamilton, Ontario municipal election
In early October, Chad Collins, the son of one of the ward's former aldermen announced he would be seeking his mother's former ... Shirley Collins held the seat from 1982 until being elected to the provincial legislature in 1987. She served as the Liberal ... We've lost sight of that." The issue of parking was tied into the overall theme of downtown revitalization that was a major ... "When I was raised, a lot of us went to school hungry and that's a terrible feeling," he said in the early days of campaigning. ...
Charles Aznavour, Harry Belafonte, Marlène Dietrich, Gilbert Bécaud, Shirley Bassey, etc.). Very early on, he moved into ... He has participated in numerous studio and concert recordings with major international variety stars as a trombonist and ...
... early work had him opposite actors such as W.C. Fields, Buster Keaton, Boris Karloff, Mae West, and Shirley Temple. Appearing ... Starring roles in major pictures later dwindled to supporting parts, mainly as villains in B-movies and serials. Notable ... With early beginnings in the silent era, Withers moved into sound films establishing himself with a list of headlined features ... His early roles for Warner Brothers brought him his highest accolades. Withers' ...
Important early works identified with the subgenre include Richard Matheson's I Am Legend (1954) and Shirley Jackson's The ... Teenagers and children are often major protagonists or sources of threat and characteristic conflicts often focus on issues of ...
Shirley Temple was one of numerous celebrities who appeared at the Morocco Temple. The facility was also used for many major ... In the early 1980s the Shriners built a new facility on the south side. Their old building was purchased in 1984 by the Cecil W ... The Shriners decided to move to the suburbs in the early 1980s. They wanted more space and room to park, plus "too many of ...
1970 LPGA Championship
In an 18-hole Monday playoff, Shirley Englehorn won her only major title, defeating 1967 champion Kathy Whitworth by four ... Englehorn bogeyed the second hole and parred the rest for a 74 (+1). Three years earlier Pleasant Valley, Whitworth had bested ... "Shirley forces LPGA showdown". Spokesman-Review. Spokane, Washington. Associated Press. June 15, 1970. p. 11. "Playoff needed ... Source: "Shirley Englehorn wins playoff easily". Spokesman-Review. Spokane, Washington. Associated Press. June 16, 1970. p. 13 ...
Julien's first major hit came with "Kiss Me, Honey Honey, Kiss Me", written with Al Timothy, sung by Shirley Bassey in 1958. It ... It was originally recorded a year earlier by The Rokes but the version adding Julien's lyrics was first recorded by The Living ... Julien's first major hit in the United States came with what is today a wartime classic. He wrote the title and lyrics of " ... "Shirley Bassey - As I Love You (Vinyl) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 8 January 2013. "kiss me honey honey kiss me , full ...
She also had a major role in About Mrs. Leslie, a drama starring Shirley Booth and Robert Ryan as the romantic leads. It was ... In the early 1960s, for a short time she was choreographer for the Tacoma instrumental rock group The Ventures. Injuries ... In 1949, she enrolled at Stephens College, an all-women's school in Columbia, Missouri, where she was a double major in radio/ ...
Judge Priest (1934), directed by John Ford and starring Will Rogers, was the first film in which she played a major role. She ... She received several other uncredited film roles in the early 1930s, often singing in choruses. In 1934, McDaniel joined the ... Fox Film Corporation put her under contract to appear in The Little Colonel (1935), with Shirley Temple, Bill "Bojangles" ... After Show Boat, she had major roles in MGM's Saratoga (1937), starring Jean Harlow and Clark Gable; The Shopworn Angel (1938 ...
Tiny Toon Adventures
Other major characters in the cast are generally nonhuman as well. These include Fifi La Fume, a purple-and-white female skunk ... In the early to mid-1990s, Warner Bros. had released several videos, including Tiny Toon Adventures: How I Spent My Vacation (a ... Shirley The Loon, a white female loon; Dizzy Devil, a purple tasmanian devil; Furrball, a blue cat; Sweetie Pie, a pink canary ... The series parodies and references the current events of the early 1990s and Hollywood culture. Occasionally, episodes delve ...
Joey D. Vieira
Other early TV appearances include The Pride of the Family, The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis, Shirley Temple's Storybook, and My ... Film appearances include The Private War of Major Benson (1955) with Charlton Heston and The Patriot (2000) with Mel Gibson in ... The Private War of Major Benson (1955) - Cadet Cpl. Scawalski Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (1969) - Dishwasher (uncredited) Evel ...
She started her career in the early 1930s, when she was seven years old. After some smaller roles, she got her first major part ... wanted her to be another Shirley Temple, but she mostly played "spoiled brats". Among her biggest roles were Becky Thatcher in ...
Alexander H. Flax
He had a sister, Shirley. He was interested in science from an early age, reading magazines like Popular Mechanics. He had a ... He oversaw major growth in NRO funding and personnel, the development of signals intelligence collectors from space, and the ... He was the director at a time when the second generation of imaging systems became operational and began to play a major role ... In this role he oversaw major growth in NRO funding and personnel, and the production of signals intelligence collectors from ...
Sir William Johnson, 1st Baronet
In December, tired of army life, Johnson resigned his commission as a major general. General Shirley, who had become the ... Some early biographers portrayed William Johnson as living in poverty in Ireland, but modern studies reveal that his family ... But Shirley was soon replaced both as governor and commander in chief, and Johnson's star was on the rise. Although the Battle ... In 1755, Major General Edward Braddock, sent to North America to direct the British war effort, appointed Johnson as his agent ...
Early chronology of Shakers
It is the first major Shaker community to permanently disband, and the only major community to do so before 1875. Its closure ... 1793 Formal organization of the Alfred, Maine, Enfield, New Hampshire, and Harvard and Shirley, Massachusetts Shaker communes. ... The early chronology of Shakers is a list of important events pertaining to the early history Shakers, a denomination of ... 1816 The first major Shaker writing, and their official biography of Ann Lee, Testimonies of the Life, Character, Revelations ...
He also played on key early rocksteady recordings including Roy Shirley's "Hold Them", and major hits of the genre including ... who played a major part in the island's musical history, playing a key role in defining the ska sound and the rocksteady beat, ...
Bibliography of encyclopedias
Fifty major thinkers on education: From Confucius to Dewey. Routledge, 2003. ISBN 0415231256. Peltzman, Barbara R. Pioneers of ... Riemer, Shirley J., Roger P. Minert, Jennifer A. Anderson. The German research companion. Lorelei Press, 2010. ISBN ... Chatterton, Edward Keble (1912). Fore and aft, the story of the fore & aft rig from the earliest times to the present day. ... Fifty major thinkers on education: From Confucius to Dewey. Routledge, 2003. ISBN 0415231256. Palmer, Joy, David Edward Cooper ...
King's Revels Men
... one of the few Shirley plays that was not acted by the rival Queen Henrietta's Men. In 1635 they had a major success with ... to distinguish it from an earlier troupe with the same title that was active in the 1607-9 period. Since the earlier group was ... They spent their early years touring the cities and towns outside London, though they later took up residence in the City. By ... and James Shirley's Love in a Maze in 1632 - ...
High-occupancy vehicle lane
The introduction of HOV lanes in the United States progressed slowly during the 1970s and early 1980s. Major growth occurred ... The first freeway HOV lane in the United States was implemented in the Henry G. Shirley Memorial Highway in Northern Virginia, ... Also in the early 1990s, two laws reinforced the U.S. commitment to HOV lane construction. The Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990 ... In early 2006, an Arizona woman asserted that she had been improperly ticketed for using the HOV lane because the unborn child ...
Boston Computer Society
Jon Shirley, Clive Sinclair, Benjamin M. Rosen, and Nigel Searle. At its peak in the early 1990s, BCS supported more than 75 ... Apple Computer Corp., Lotus Software and IBM made major product announcements at BCS meetings. For example, Apple made the East ... The other co-founder was Richard Gardner. Among the early members were many well-known names in the computer ... and hosting major product announcements, including the East Coast release of the Apple Macintosh in 1984. The organization was ...
In a biography by Shirley Mangini, the author notes that "it is significant that Mallo's early memories were of street fairs, ... since they are the subject of her first major series of paintings, Las Verbenas. "Mallo's art was influenced by when she first ... Mangini, Shirley. "From the Atlantic to the Pacific: Maruja Mallo in Exile". New Prairie Press. "Fuera de orden : mujeres de la ... According to biographer Shirley Mangini, "Although historians of Spanish avant-garde art locate the origins of the movement in ...
Henry Davis Sleeper
Beauport served as Sleeper's escape, a backdrop for summer parties, and became not only a home, but a major showcase for ... Piatt Andrew early in World War I. While Andrew served in the battle zones, Sleeper crisscrossed the Atlantic with supplies and ... and was a founding member and trustee of the Shirley-Eustis House Association. In 1918, Sleeper became the U.S. Representative ... He was the youngest son of Major Jacob Henry Sleeper (1839-1891), a distinguished Civil War veteran, and Maria (née Westcott) ...
Pentagon road network
... named because it had major weaving issues with traffic "mixing" between the two roads before it was rebuilt in the early 1970s ... The Henry G. Shirley Memorial Highway was built to take traffic off the Highway Bridge (now the 14th Street Bridge). The first ... The Pentagon road network is a system of highways, mostly freeways, built by the United States federal government in the early ... Access to the Pentagon was provided in the following places: South parking lot Shirley Highway east of the Mixing Bowl (full ...
At an October 2007 debate, NBC's Tim Russert cited a passage from a book by Shirley MacLaine in which the author writes that ... Early political career. Kucinich's political career began in 1967 when he ran unsuccessfully for office. In 1969, Kucinich was ... Cimperman described Kucinich as an absentee congressman who failed to pass any major legislative initiatives in his 12-year ... He also struggled to find employment and moved to Los Angeles, California, where he stayed with a friend, actress Shirley ...
The earliest records of wheeled furniture are an inscription found on a stone slate in China and a child's bed depicted in a ... All major varieties of wheelchair can be highly customized for the user's needs. Such customization may encompass the seat ... O'Connor, Thomas; Fitzgerald, Shirley G; Cooper, Rory A; Thorman, Tricia A; Boninger, Michael L (2002). "Kinetic and ... Everyday manual wheelchairs come in two major varieties, folding or rigid. Folding chairs are generally low-end designs, whose ...
Royal Albert Hall
Other notable films shot at the Hall include Major Barbara, Love Story, The Seventh Veil, The Ipcress File, A Touch of Class, ... "Dame Shirley and Katherine Jenkins steal the show at Classic Brits". Wales Online. Retrieved 1 July 2011.. ... Though it was demonstrated as early as 1873 in the Hall, full electric lighting was not installed until 1888. During an ... The Hall, a Grade I listed building, is an ellipse in plan, with major and minor axes of 83 m (272 ft) and 72 m (236 ft). ...
Earlier releases of Notes did not always do so. Early releases also did not offer a way to encrypt NSF files, raising concerns ... Major improvements to HTTP server. Notes client had a major interface overhaul. Java support greatly expanded and enhanced.. ... In early releases of IBM Notes, there was considerable emphasis on client-side integration with the IBM Lotus SmartSuite ... Earlier versions of Lotus Notes have also been criticized for violating an important usability best practice that suggests a ...
Grammy Awards 2020
... dem Boston Early Music Festival Chamber Ensemble und dem Boston Early Music Festival Vocal Ensemble, dirigiert von Paul O'Dette ... Marsalis: Violin Concerto in D Major komponiert von Wynton Marsalis (Nicola Benedetti, Cristian Măcelaru & Philadelphia ... John Chrysostom von Evan Bravos, Vadim Gan, Kevin Keys, Glenn Miller, Daniel Shirley und den PaTRAM Institute Singers, ...
Early life and college. Born in Summerfield, Louisiana, Malone was the youngest of nine children and during his ... childhood lived on a farm with his single mother, Shirley. His father, Shedrick Hay, was raising a family with another woman he ... "Malone Becomes A Major Force". The New York Times. Retrieved July 26, 2011 ... Early years (1985-1987). In the 1985 NBA draft, the Utah Jazz selected Karl Malone with the 13th overall pick. According ...
West India Regiments
Origins and early basis of recruitment. Major Thomas Huxley, 2nd West India Regiment (1795-1802), Old Burying Ground ( ... A revolt of the 8th West India Regiment in 1802 occurred when it's soldiers took over the Fort Shirley garrison on Dominica for ... Major R. M. Barnes, Military Uniforms of Britain & the Empire, London: Sphere Books Ltd, 1968, p. 96. ... In the early part of the twentieth century one battalion was stationed in Sierra Leone and the other was in Jamaica recruiting ...
The earliest Filipino Americans to live within the city arrived in the early 1800s. ... Historically, the major newspaper in the area was The Times-Picayune. The paper made headlines of its own in 2012 when owner ... Marla Nelson; Renioa Ehrenfeucht; Shirley Laska (2007). "Planning, Plans and People: Professional Expertise, Local Knowledge, ... The Big Easy was possibly[clarification needed] a reference by musicians in the early 20th century to the relative ease of ...
Obstructive sleep apnea
Stroke and other cardiovascular disease are related to OSA and those under the age of 70 have an increased risk of early death. ... In the morbidly obese, a major loss of weight (such as what occurs after bariatric surgery) can sometimes cure the condition. ... Shirley; Traylor, Joel; Torigian, Drew A.; Bradford, Ruth M.; Marcus, Carole L. (2015). "Understanding the Anatomic Basis for ...
Early life. Bill Haywood was born in 1869 in Salt Lake City, Utah Territory. His father, a former Pony Express rider, ... a major labor organizer whose husband was hanged in relation to the Haymarket affair. After its foundation, the IWW would ... McParland had planned the arrests for early Sunday morning, when a special train would be ready to take the prisoners to Idaho ... 54 As they had done in a strike in Coeur d'Alene seven years earlier, soldiers acted as strike breakers. They rounded up ...
Among America's earliest oil painters of merit is Amadeus. *Christian Gullager, a premier painter in early Federal America, who ... Shirley Emmons, Tristanissimo: The Authorized Biography of Heroic Tenor Lauritz Melchior, New York: Schirmer Books, 1990. ... The one major still-operating historically Danish American college is Grand View University, founded in 1896 in Des Moines, ... By early September, they had not yet found a passage. The party arrived in Hudson Bay on September 7, landed at the mouth of ...
Early modern Europe. Lesbianism and hermaphroditism, depicted here in an engraving circa 1690, were very similar concepts ... Lesbianism, or homosexuality, was never spoken about in The Children's Hour, but it is transparent why Shirley MacLaine's ... Until the publication of The Well of Loneliness, most major works involving lesbianism were penned by men. Foster suggests that ... The first time a lesbian was portrayed on network television was the NBC drama The Eleventh Hour in the early 1960s, in a ...
Genesis and Evolution of the Rāma Kathā in Indian Art, Thought, Literature, and Culture: From the Earliest Period to the Modern ... Ramayana By William Buck, Barend A. van Nooten, Shirley Triest *^ Roy, Janmajit (2002). Theory of Avatāra and Divinity of ... Ravana had gotten into a conflict with some other major Asuras. *In Maheshwar, Madhya Pradesh is where he is said to have ... One of the most original, which is not found in earlier manuscripts, tells how Ravana orders his court priest Brhaspati (all ...
Culture of Canada
The earliest known song, "The Bold Canadian", was written in 1812. The national anthem of Canada, "O Canada" adopted in ... Shirley R. Steinberg (2009). Diversity and Multiculturalism. Peter Lang. p. 184. ISBN 978-1-4331-0345-2. .. ... There are three major theatre venues in Ottawa; the Ottawa Little Theatre, originally called the Ottawa Drama League at its ... Dana Rasmussen (2011). Canada's Influence on the Film Industry: Canada's Pioneers in Early Hollywood. BiblioBazaar. pp. iix ( ...
Early life. Born in Mill Spring, Missouri, Macfadden changed his first and last names to give them a greater appearance ... He was an acquaintance of Shirley Temple, Clark Gable, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Will Rogers, and Rudolph Valentino.[citation ... At the peak of his career, Macfadden owned several hotels and a major building in Dansville, New York. He also opened a ...
Agbasiere, Joseph Thérèse; Shirley Ardener (2000). Women in Igbo Life and Thought. Routledge. p. 114. ISBN 978-0-415-22703-2. ... Rucker, Walter C. (2006). The River Flows on: Black Resistance, Culture, and Identity Formation in Early America. LSU Press. p ... the diversity within each of Nigeria's major ethnic groups slowly decreased and distinctions between the Igbo and other large ... Kay Williamson in Ebiegberi Joe Alagoa, F. N. Anozie, Nwanna Nzewunwa (eds.), The Early History of the Niger Delta (1988) 92f. ...
Earliest day on which Handsel Monday can fall, while January 7 is the latest; celebrated on the first Monday of the year ( ... 1810 - Major-General Lachlan Macquarie officially becomes Governor of New South Wales ... 2005 - Shirley Chisholm, American educator and politician (b. 1924). *2005 - Eugene J. Martin, American painter (b. 1938) ... "Mercy" Hospital is founded in Pittsburgh by the Sisters of Mercy; the name will go on to grace over 30 major hospitals ...
Tropical Storm Allison
It emerged into the Gulf of Mexico on June 4, and developed deep convection on its eastern side. Early on June 5, satellite ... By midnight on June 9 nearly every freeway and major road in the city was under several feet of water, forcing hundreds of ... A microburst in Leominster and another in Shirley damaged several trees. Lightning from the storm hit two houses, causing ... Tropical Storm Allison was a major flood disaster throughout its path from Texas to the Mid-Atlantic. The worst of the flooding ...
Shirley, John W. (1951). "Binary numeration before Leibniz". American Journal of Physics. 19 (8): 452-454. doi:10.1119/ ... Early forms of this system can be found in documents from the Fifth Dynasty of Egypt, approximately 2400 BC, and its fully ... and concluded that this mapping was evidence of major Chinese accomplishments in the sort of philosophical mathematics he ... However, systems related to binary numbers have appeared earlier in multiple cultures including ancient Egypt, China, and India ...
John Bingham, 7th Earl of Lucan
Lucan met his future wife, Veronica Duncan, early in 1963. She was born in 1937 to Major Charles Moorhouse Duncan and his ... when Laurence Shirley, 4th Earl Ferrers, was hanged for killing his bailiff. He was also the last person to be committed ... Early life and education. Richard John Bingham was born on 18 December 1934 at 19 Bentinck Street, Marylebone, London, ... Hours earlier, Lucan had again called his mother, at about 12:30 am. He told her that he would be in touch later that day, but ...
Harold E. Varmus
Early life and education. Varmus was born to Beatrice, a social service worker, and Frank Varmus, a physician, Jewish ... and leading a major capital campaign. He also continued to run an active laboratory and to teach as a Member of the ... In the early 1990s, following the award of their Nobel Prize, Varmus and Bishop became active in the politics of science, ... Varmus declared his support for Barack Obama's quest for the Presidency early in 2008 and chaired the campaign's Science ...
Day-care sex-abuse hysteria
Freeing Bernie Baran, 2010 documentary on one of the earliest cases. Notes and references. Notes. *^ a b c d e f g ... The McMartin Preschool case was the first daycare abuse case to receive major media attention in the United States. The ... Early reports of the case suggested the alleged abuse was part of a satanic ritual, but after an RCMP task force took over the ... Day-care sex-abuse hysteria was a moral panic that occurred primarily during the 1980s and early 1990s featuring charges ...
Early childhood. After birth, other causes include toxins, severe jaundice, lead poisoning, physical brain injury, ... "In Shirley W. Ekvall; Valli K. Ekvall. Pediatric and Adult Nutrition in Chronic Diseases, Developmental Disabilities, and ... There are three major types of dysarthria in cerebral palsy: spastic, dyskinetic (athetosis), and ataxic. ... Cerebral palsy (CP) is a group of permanent movement disorders that appear in early childhood. Signs and symptoms vary among ...
List of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul characters
Li, Shirley (September 17, 2013). "Forget Gus: Todd is the most dangerous villain on 'Breaking Bad'". Entertainment Weekly. ... At the start of events of Breaking Bad, Tuco is one of the first major drug deals that Walt and Jesse approach to sell their ... They go into Jesse's bedroom and see the heroin, but instead of throwing it away as they had promised themselves earlier, they ... A DVD shows Gale singing karaoke of the song "Major Tom (Coming Home)" by German musician Peter Schilling, in front of low- ...
Education and early career. Further information: Early works of Georgia O'Keeffe ... This caused a major change in the way she felt about and approached art, as seen in the beginning stages of her watercolors ... Early life. O'Keeffe was born on November 15, 1887, in a farmhouse located at 2405 Hwy T in the town of Sun Prairie ... In early 1933 and 1934, O'Keeffe recuperated in Bermuda, and she returned to New Mexico in mid-1934. That August she visited ...
The Exorcist III
This ties into the revelation earlier in the film that the Gemini was sent into Karras' body as revenge for the Regan MacNeil ... "The major fault in Exorcist III is the house-of-cards plot that is constantly collapsing." Kevin Thomas of the Los Angeles ... Barbara Baxley as Shirley. *Harry Carey Jr. as Father Kanavan. *George DiCenzo as Stedman ... In both novel and early screenplay, the Gemini's motives for his murders are also given further context via a long series of ...
Shirley See Yan Ma (4 December 2009). Footbinding: A Jungian Engagement with Chinese Culture and Psychology. Taylor & Francis ... Valerie Steele; John S. Major (2000). China Chic: East Meets West. Yale University Press. p. 37. ISBN 978-0-300-07931-9. .. ... The earliest archaeological evidence for foot binding dates to the tombs of Huang Sheng, who died in 1243 at the age of 17, and ... Valerie Steele; John S. Major (2000). China Chic: East Meets West. Yale University Press. pp. 38-40. ISBN 978-0-300-07931-9. . ...
Early history. The site of today's City of Berkeley was the territory of the Chochenyo/Huchiun band of the Ohlone people ... Major streets. *Shattuck Avenue passes through several neighborhoods from north to south, including the downtown business ... Shirley Dean, proposed a plan to increase both social support services for homeless youth and enforcement of anti-encampment ... Berkeley is traversed by the Hayward Fault Zone, a major branch of the San Andreas Fault to the west. No large earthquake has ...
Early life. Winter was born near Wellington, Texas (a fact which later provided him with his nickname when his family ... In 1952, Winter began a two-year stint as head coach at Marquette University, becoming the youngest coach in major college ... Both of them entered the United States Navy in early 1943, with Winter going into fighter pilot training and his wife into ...
Shirley agreed and they recorded "Fool for a Pretty Face", which Marriott had written earlier. The new line-up included Anthony ... Despite the single being hawked around the major record companies, no one was interested and the song was never released. The ... drummer Jerry Shirley and bassist Greg Ridley. In the early years, Humble Pie allowed Marriott the artistic freedom he ... Early yearsEdit. Steve Marriott was born on 30 January 1947 at East Ham Memorial Hospital, Plashet, East Ham, (London, E7), ...
Shirley schoolhouse exhibit recalls town's early days - Sentinel & Enterprise
SHIRLEY -- Gone are the days when schools had outhouses in the middle of their playgrounds and all students drank water from ... A major sticking point, however, was adequate transition funding from the state. The transitional cost of a three-town district ... By the mid-1800s, there were eight separate Shirley school districts, each with a one-room brick schoolhouse.. Ayer-Shirley ... Shirley resident Jane Hawlett commented there used to be high-school programs in which Shirley students could not participate. ...
William Shirley - Wikipedia
Shirley, William; Alexander, William (1758). The Conduct of Major Gen. William Shirley briefly stated. London: R. and J. ... Thomas Pownall traveled to London in early 1756 and further denounced Shirley to the colonial administration. Shirley did not ... Shirley helped to establish a cod fishery in Winthrop in 1753. Shirley is also the namesake of Shirley Street in Halifax, Nova ... Focuses on Shirleys role. Shirley, William (1855). "Governor Shirley to Secretary Robinson (June 20th 1755)". In Brodhead, ...
Grey Lynn - Wikipedia
On 3 December 1981 a landslide destroyed homes around Herringson Avenue and Shirley Road. From the early 1990s this ... Major corporate projects have gradually replaced lower-end retail enterprises.[failed verification] An influx of middle-class ... One building is the former Convent built in the 1920s to replace an earlier wooden structure which burnt down. It is currently ... The developers largely laid out Grey Lynns streets as straight roads (as opposed to the earlier farm roads such as Richmond ...
Coestrellas - Wikipedia
Other major programs that Coestrellas broadcast were foreign imports (enlatados), such as CHiPs and Laverne and Shirley. In ... It was liquidated in 2003, one of the last casualties of the programadoras crisis of the early 2000s. There were five original ... In 1984, Dejémonos de Vainas, a major success for the programadora, premiered on that same channel, airing on Friday nights. In ... Facing the programadoras crisis that had started a few years earlier, it allied with Datos y Mensajes, Mejía & Asociados and ...
Science: The Last Frontier - e-Archive: Shirley M. Tilghman
I was a chemistry major in university in Canada, and by my junior year I was a bored chemistry major. I stumbled by chance on a ... From early childhood, I loved puzzles of any kind - mathematical puzzles, jigsaw puzzles, Rubiks Cubes, clever murder ... The first is that we must introduce students to the big ideas early in their education. Too often the operating metaphor for ... Yet, in 2000, 2/3 of public school physics teachers in the United States did not major in the subject, and 61 percent of ...
Shirley Knight | Biography, Movie Highlights and Photos | AllMovie
... credits and filmography information for Shirley Knight on AllMovie - An accomplished actress of stage, screen, and television, ... The second was for playing Paul Newmans first love in Sweet Bird of Youth (1962). In the early 60s, Knight began appearing ... By mid-decade, Knight was well on her way to becoming a major film star. But Knight was discontent with having money and fame. ... Shirley Knight Active - 1959 - 2015 , Born - Jul 5, 1936 in Goessel, KS , Genres - Drama * Overview ↓ ...
Senators Using Joint Committees - Roll Call
Murray is a major Republican target, though the GOPs chances took something of a blow when Rep. Jennifer Dunn (R) decided ... The "Washington Senate 2004" committee received one $8,000 contribution from Microsoft Director Jon Shirley. ... against the race earlier this month. Rep. George Nethercutt is widely seen as the strongest remaining potential candidate for ...
Allen Jay High School - Aln Ja Hi Yearbook (High Point, NC), Class of 1957, Cover
A. D. EARLY To You- Mr. Early. . . Thank you for your many hours of unending work that you have given to help us , l fake this ... Shirley Albertson, Historian, Pat Yount, Re- porter, and Pat Bridgeman, Secretary. Seated: Shirley Albertson, Arlene Sheffield ... Our major productions were the Senior play and Annual, with our graduation exercises next. Was it possible in so short a time ... A. D. Early Mr. 8. Mrs. John C. Charles In Memory of Mr. Vernon Dobbins fx a . We , ,Q X? R s az , LK- ? . K L ph 1 58835 11: ...
Today in History - Hank Aaron hit the first of his record 755 home runs - News - Gaston Gazette - Gastonia, NC
In 1954, Hank Aaron of the Milwaukee Braves hit the first of his record 755 major-league home runs in a game against the St. ... Todays Birthdays: Actress-turned-diplomat Shirley Temple Black is 85. Actor Alan Oppenheimer is 83. Actor David Birney is 74. ... three years earlier than previously projected. ... Actor Lee Majors is 74. Irish nationalist Bernadette Devlin ...
Shirley Jackson: A Rather Haunted Life by Ruth Franklin, Hardcover | Barnes & Noble®
Her late teens and early twenties were a series of half-starts and depressive episodes, including a troubled stint at the ... Franklin offers inspired discussion of every novel, both memoirs, and many of the major stories. It is with the same keen ... "Shirley Jackson has always been an original who walks by herself," wrote Orville Prescott in his New York Times review of We ... By restoring Shirley Jackson to her proper stature as one of our great writers, Franklin has in a stroke revised the canon. ...
Recent news on Jason Shirley - Washington Redskins - Rotoworld.com
Jason Shirley 2018 player profile, game log, season stats, career stats, recent news If you play fantasy sports, get breaking ... A major character risk coming out of Fresno State in 2008, Shirley flashed early in his Bengals career before a failed position ... A major character risk coming out of Fresno State in 2008, Shirley flashed early in his Bengals career before a failed position ... Panthers DT Jason Shirley has a sack in each of three games since being promoted from the practice squad in early December. ...
Arlen Specter - Wikipedia
Early legal career and personal lifeEdit. In 1953, he married Joan Levy. In 1979, she was elected to one of the two ... Specter said the family moved to Philadelphia when his sister Shirley was of a marriageable age because there were no other ... Specter narrowly avoided a major upset with 51% of the primary vote. Once Specter defeated the challenge from the right, he was ... Early political careerEdit. Specter reproducing the assumed alignment of the single bullet theory. The subsequent revelation ...
Scituate, other coastal towns bracing for high tide that may create flooding - The Boston Globe
In the nearby Point Shirley neighborhood, often the scene of major flooding during a noreaster, roadways remained open despite ... In telephone interviews, Sandwich public safety officials said earlier today that flooding is a chronic concern during storms, ... Its supposed to be major flooding but we havent had any yet, said Sandwich Fire Chief George Russell, who added that ... though risks remained as the noon high tide approaches and cleanup crews continue to battle snow accumulation on major ...
CEDAR COUNCIL DENIES REQUEST TO CHANGE ZONING OF PROPERTY|BR| | Deseret News
Mayor Harold Shirley told the Deseret News after the hearing that low- to moderate-cost housing is extremely hard to find in ... The Planning and Zoning Commission denied the zone change twice, and the decision was appealed to the City Council earlier this ... "Housing is a problem of major magnitude and proportions right now, and although single housing is available, the real problem ... SUSC Vice President of Student Services Sterling Church, who said earlier Wednesday that the college would have no official ...
7 Years After Major Nz Earthquake, The 'Unknown Cat' I Wrote About In Quake Cats Book Is Found Alive & Well, Fully Recovered...
In the early hours of the morning of September the 4th 2010, Floyd, who was known by a different name back then, was out on his ... nightly wander around the streets of Shirley when the ground began to move ferociously, Floyd was trapped under a falling ... 7 Years After Major Nz Earthquake, The Unknown Cat I Wrote About In Quake Cats Book Is Found Alive & Well, Fully Recovered ... 7 Years After Major Nz Earthquake, The Unknown Cat I Wrote About In Quake Cats Book Is Found Alive & Well, Fully Recovered ...
Karl Spooner - Society for American Baseball Research
But his early exit from Major League Baseball gave him the opportunity to fill his shortened life with a successful career and ... but the sage Shirley Povich wrote: "Baseball men like to reserve judgment on such spectacular performances as the 15 strikeouts ... Karl Spooner had exploded onto the baseball scene with a record-setting performance only one year, 12 days earlier. His Major ... Karl Spooners last major league win was very special. Coming out of the bullpen, he beat Milwaukee 10-5 in 5 2/3 innings in ...
Community Resources Listing from JCPH
Head Start / Early Head Start: Shirley Whitley, Director Provides comprehensive pre-school services to pregnant mothers and for ... Due to major disruptions to peoples daily lives, the potential impact of the outbreak on the world economy, and constant media ... Our primary goal is to obtain grant funds and local contributions to use for services and activities which have a major impact ... die-cut machine plus copier and lamination services for the early care and education professionals and families of young ...
Community Resources Listing from JCPH
Head Start / Early Head Start: Shirley Whitley, Director Provides comprehensive pre-school services to pregnant mothers and for ... Our primary goal is to obtain grant funds and local contributions to use for services and activities which have a major impact ... An incentive program for early care and education professionals that promotes a highly qualified childcare workforce. ... die-cut machine plus copier and lamination services for the early care and education professionals and families of young ...
Orson Bean Says Andrew Breitbart's Death 'Looks Like a Heart Attack'
Ever since the early days of Barack Obamas run for president, Breitbart had his hands in the pot. He got Shirley Sherrod ... Breitbart was the head of a self-made media empire that broke several major stories over the past five years. From his ... of times about Breitbarts death since the conservative media figure passed away at UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles early ...
The death of Emmett Till in 1955 launched a movement
Unlike her mother 45 years earlier, Shirley Franklin was not keen on taking her family to Denver for the Democratic National ... She thought about her mother and the March on Washington, how she became the first black female mayor of a major Southern city ... Shirley Franklin and her family at the anniversary of the March on Washington in 1983. (Photo courtesy Shirley Franklin) ... Shirley Franklin at the National Center for Civil and Human Rights: "All of a sudden, I realized that you just had to be black ...
May | 2013 | CDSS Blog
It was around this time in my early to mid- 20s that I started to play the banjo uke. My friends and I would come and play Fall ... Annie Fain: I created my own major in Appalachian Studies and Folklore in History. When I was doing senior research, the Danish ... Pearl Shirley, Ellie Grace and I all grew up in musical families. ...
Books about Bowie | Bowie, MD - Official Website
This book by historian Shirley Baltz details the history of the Belair estate from its earliest days as the Catton tract to its ... It includes brief geneaologies of three families who had major impacts on the estate: the Ogle, Tasker, and Woodward families. ... Enjoy this wide reaching retrospective of Bowie from its earliest days as a colonial estate through the first half of the ... by Shirley V. Baltz. Published by the Bowie Heritage Committee, Bowie, MD, 1984 ...
Spring Creek, Brooklyn - Wikipedia
"Shirley Chisholm State Park opens on former landfill in East New York, Brooklyn". Crains New York Business. July 2, 2019. ... There are two major shopping malls in the area: *Gateway Center, located on Erskine Street and Gateway Drive across from the ... In early 2007, the second phase of the Gateway Estates project (Gateway Estates II) was proposed, which included a 605,000 ... Shirley Chisholm State Park, a 407-acre (165 ha) state park, is located atop the Pennsylvania and Fountain Avenue Landfills ...
Saving the Black-Footed Ferret
Wyoming Game and Fish observed as early as the fall of 1994 that "the Shirley Basin ferrets may have suffered substantial ... The plans agenda, mandated by the Endangered Species Act, was to make the ferret wild again, to seed it into ten major prairie ... A Cooperative Management Plan for Black-Footed Ferrets, Shirley Basin/Medicine Bow, Wyoming, prepared by the Shirley Basin/ ... Except for one ranch in the basin, prairie dog poisoning had all but disappeared years earlier. Shirley Basin ranchers, unlike ...
Dame Shirley, Eliza Farnham, Dolly Bates, Margaret Ann Frink, and Luzena Wilson produced some of the most colorful and vivid ... All the major buildings and streets are featured as well as panoramic views of the embarcadero area. The publishers used ... The image is one of the earliest photographs to show Chinese miners. By the end of 1848, only seven Chinese were known to be in ... This toy book, a mere 2 3/4 by 1 ½ inches, was owned by Dame Shirley. The inside wrapper of this devotional is signed "Louise A ...
The Courier News from Blytheville, Arkansas on March 30, 1954 · Page 4
These are some of the major problems confronting the NATO Council meeting which is scheduled to convene in Paris in early April ... They quarreled over Shirley Temple a few years back. In the film theyll battle over Cathy Downs, now married to Joe. The big ... Few of us go through life without at some time encountering a serious illness or a major operation. If the disease or operating ... Mighty 27 Birds home 41 Preposition 29 Earth 30 Sea eagle 31 Bamboolike grass 35 Oriental coin 42 Flower 43 Coin 44 Her early ...
Hinduism Vs. Jainism Essay - 1102 Words - BrightKite
Shirley Jacksons story The Lottery might imply a similar conception based on the title alone, but the story is filled with ... Family is the second most important part of a person; from an early age a child is taught the importance of a family and the ... Major religions part of the Indian culture includes Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism and even Catholicism. ... Selective Exposition in The Lottery, by Shirley Jackson. 1073 words - 4 pages Usually when someone hears the word "lottery" the ...
Anderson College - Columns / Sororian Yearbook (Anderson, SC), Class of 1972, Cover
Shirley, James Robert-Rt. 2, Honea Path. Shirley, Mary Angela-1012 B n. Fant St., Anderson. Gamma Beta Phi-Vice-President. ... Casting took place early in Jan- uary, followed by two and a half months of diligent rehearsing be- fore the play was ready to ... Janice s major at Anderson Col- lege is Secretarial Science. Her ambition in life is to marry and to have a happy family. ... Calhoun Falls Shirley, James, Rt. 2, Honea Path Shirley, Margaret, Rt. 2, Honea Path Speer, Gene, 303 Beaty Sq., Anderson ...
Singing the Praises of James Bond | 3 Quarks Daily
The next major revision was designed by S. Abbas Raza, building upon the earlier look, and coded by Dumky de Wilde in 2013. And ... 1. Goldfinger, Shirley Bassey (Goldfinger, 1964). Well, actually, one person did it better: Shirley Bassey. Her performance ... clearly hews to the early James Bond themes Barry had developed along the way, while also making innovative use of early ... Garbage lead singer Shirley Manson always sported a mixture of gloss and snarling attitude that fit well with the Bond motif. ...
Appropriate research for primary health care: An anthropologist's view
Early in the project a survey of demographic characteristics and health indicators may be appropriate. However, major surveys ... it has become customary to conduct all-purpose surveys early in the project. These are usually based on questionnaires ... Buzzard, Shirley, 1984. "Appropriate research for primary health care: An anthropologists view," Social Science & Medicine, ... Early in the project a survey of demographic characteristics and health indicators may be appropriate. However, major surveys ...
BasseyPomponiMacLaine1984Tilghman19381970s1924RecallsChildhoodAmericaBiographyClimateCalif1980sTempleYears earlierTwitter60'sFranklinWang1972ChapterDaysGrewWilliamsStreets1936LiberalLeaguesImpactsMagnitudeChurchesCitation neededPovertyPhiladelphiaCareerCouncilDepressiveStoryWinsDiagnosisConcernPandemicEvolutionaryMadeSymptomsBusinessRecentScientistsWomanShowsEducationYearTownActressClinicalPresidentialWifeWorkHighTeamELECTIONResearchersBackOpenSeriesStudentUniversityCenterSeeminglyProjectsBooksSongBook
- Aznavour was sometimes called France's Frank Sinatra and collaborated with a long list of major artists including Dusty Springfield, Elton John, Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey and Julio Iglesias. (deathlist.net)
- There was much music to delight the audience, provided by artistes like James Galway , Shirley Bassey , the sensual Eartha Kitt , and an extract from the Phantom of the Opera with Sarah Brightman . (royalvarietycharity.org)
- Shirley Bassey won universal admiration when she appeared at this year's show, her first major engagement since the death of her daughter two years earlier. (royalvarietycharity.org)
- Credit: Shirley A. Pomponi, Ph.D. (innovations-report.com)
- Sponge cell lines could be used as models to understand the role of secondary metabolites in sponges, to use this information to develop new models for drug discovery, and to scale-up production of sponge-derived bioactive compounds for novel medicines," said Shirley Pomponi, Ph.D., senior author and a research professor at FAU's Harbor Branch. (innovations-report.com)
- Topping the list is Shirley MacLaine in a comic performance not to be missed. (swapadvd.com)
- The epitome of fluffy 60's escapism with Shirley MacLaine at her kooky best and a dream cast of leading men sending up their screen images. (swapadvd.com)
- Shirley MacLaine made several screwball comedies in the 60's such as Woman Times Seven, John Goldfarb Please Come Home, and The Bliss Of Mrs Blossom, but What A Way To Go is one of the best. (swapadvd.com)
- Emphasizing the value of a liberal arts education, Princeton President Shirley M. Tilghman addresses the crowd of 10,000 students and guests assembled on the front lawn of Nassau Hall for the University's 265th Commencement. (princeton.edu)
- Making a stand for a liberal arts education in today's difficult economic climate, Princeton University President Shirley M. Tilghman urged graduates to bring to the fore the talents they have developed as they embark on the future. (princeton.edu)
- As other nations have begun to believe that an education that "specializes too early and too narrowly produces well-trained technocrats but very few innovators," Tilghman said she "rejects the notion that a liberal arts degree has suddenly become obsolete. (princeton.edu)
- In 1938, total student enrollment in Shirley was 222, not including the 166 students attending St. Anthony's Parochial School. (sentinelandenterprise.com)
- Through the mid-depression years of 1934 to 1938 Shirley Temple was a phenomenon of the first magnitude: she led in box-office grosses, single-handedly revived Fox and influenced its merger with 20th Century, had more products named after her than any other star, and became as intimately experienced here and abroad as President Roosevelt. (ejumpcut.org)
- By the early 1970s, Muldowney was a no-nonsense contender in 'funny car' races (so named because the vehicles are designed radically different from conventional cars for racing purposes), and was able to reach speeds of more than 200 mph, making the finals of the NHRA Nationals in 1971. (biography.com)
- He thought he would sing in Broadway musicals, but a different opportunity knocked, and instead he played a dashing doctor on the daytime soap opera, The Young and the Restless , in the 1970s and early '80s. (nndb.com)
- Through the leagues, i may, and its early 1970s. (csajjad.com)
- It was getting harder and harder to use my hands and pain was becoming almost a constant," Shirley recalls. (rheumresearch.org)
- Canadians (10 million) will have a brain condition in their lifetime - whether from birth, early childhood, young adulthood, middle age or as seniors. (mybrainmatters.ca)
- Extraordinary circumstances [ the Great Depression ] separated Chisholm from her parents for much of her early childhood. (constantcontact.com)
- Three years later, Shirley Chisholm earned an M.A. in early childhood education from Columbia University. (constantcontact.com)
- This directory provides an overview of Early Childhood Development (ECD) projects in all regions, listed in alphabetical order, and categorized by freestanding ECD projects, and projects in which ECD forms a part of other social sector programs. (worldbank.org)
- Maud had many cousins and other playmates, and despite the loss of her mother and the absence of her idolized father, her early childhood was happy and carefree, spent playing on the seashore, in the nearby fields, and in the scenic woods. (biographi.ca)
- The Early Childhood Council of La Plata County and the La Plata County Department of Human Services announce that seven child care programs in La Plata County have received either Environmental Rating Scale Assessments or Quality Ratings. (durangoherald.com)
- These wrenching lines appear twice in Ruth Franklin's magisterial biography Shirley Jackson: A Rather Haunted Life and are, by some measures, the beating heart of the book. (barnesandnoble.com)
- These findings form the basis for developing marine invertebrate cell models to better understand early animal evolution, determine the role of secondary metabolites, and predict the impact of climate change to coral reef community ecology. (innovations-report.com)
- Cell lines of common reef sponges also could be used to quantify the effects of climate change such as ocean warming and acidification on uptake of dissolved organic material, a major component of the 'sponge loop hypothesis' of carbon cycling, and to test the hypothesis that coral reefs could become sponge reefs as climate changes. (innovations-report.com)
- Shirley Selby Laguna Beach, Calif. (csmonitor.com)
- In this instance Coolidge's voice, along with a solid chord structure and melody, helped elevate the number above the type of painful arrangement ('sultry' saxophone, crappy synthesizers) that was standard during the early 1980s. (3quarksdaily.com)
- Today's Birthdays: Actress-turned-diplomat Shirley Temple Black is 85. (gastongazette.com)
- One would not feel impelled to state so tawdry a truism if it were not for the resistance one anticipates to a serious study of Shirley Temple, and especially to a study that regards her, in part, as a kind of artifact thrown up by a unique concatenation of social and economic forces. (ejumpcut.org)
- At this point my study will move synchronically, from the economic base through the ideology to Shirley Temple (her first feature films were made in 1934). (ejumpcut.org)
- Scientists have taken to calling this the "Shirley Temple" protein fold, due to its unusual curls. (care2.com)
- Facing the programadoras crisis that had started a few years earlier, it allied with Datos y Mensajes, Mejía & Asociados and Big Bang TV to program Canal A from 1:00pm to 8:00pm in a bid to make the channel more coherent. (wikipedia.org)
- The government reported that Social Security was rushing even faster toward insolvency, with its trust funds expected to run dry in 2033, three years earlier than previously projected. (gastongazette.com)
- The Republicans had been sniping at Obamacare since its passage, nearly four years earlier, and HealthCare.gov, a Web site that was undertested and overmatched, was a gift to them. (newyorker.com)
- In the 1976 Olympics, the cheating East German women won 11 of 13 gold medals in swimming after having failed to win even one gold medal four years earlier. (drmirkin.com)
- In response to the recent review of Robin Wright's book ``Sacred Rage,'' Western intrusion into the Islamic world began, not with Napoleon in 1798, but with Godfrey of Bouillon 700 years earlier, in 1096, with the First Crusade [``March of the Great Islamic Crusade,'' Oct. 25]. (csmonitor.com)
- Cain, 74, was hospitalized earlier this month, and his Twitter account said this week he was being treated with oxygen in his lungs. (independenttribune.com)
- To my left sat what appeared to be a balding man possibly in his early 60's dressed in a no-nonsense grey blazer, and to my right sat a pair of 20-somethings wearing Uggs and North Face jackets. (chopintheatre.com)
- ending early shows and chengsi wang university, as an assistant. (csajjad.com)
- COLUMNS - 1972 Anderson College Anderson, South Carolina Shirley Hamby, Editor Terri Bannister, Associate Editor Don Cantrell, Photographer Mrs. Agnes Grigg, Advisor There were many ' firsts ' at AC this year It was a year of " firsts. (e-yearbook.com)
- and, was the first African-American and African-American woman to make a serious presidential bid for a major party in 1972. (constantcontact.com)
- The recommendations in this chapter are intended to apply to any group that Shirley Brice Heath calls a "subordinated population" (Goldberg, 1992). (ascd.org)
- SHIRLEY -- Gone are the days when schools had outhouses in the middle of their playgrounds and all students drank water from the same wooden ladle. (sentinelandenterprise.com)
- But those days were brought back to life recently during the Shirley Historical Society museum's opening of its schoolhouse exhibit. (sentinelandenterprise.com)
- As Shirley resident Harley Holden recalled, in the old days, "not everyone got a Saturday night bath, so the outside row was for kids who smelled the worst," or for students who had illnesses such as tuberculosis. (sentinelandenterprise.com)
- Enjoy this wide reaching retrospective of Bowie from its earliest days as a colonial estate through the first half of the twentieth century. (cityofbowie.org)
- Filled with photos, facts, and personal recollections, this book gives the reader a true sense of what the Town of Bowie was like in its earliest days. (cityofbowie.org)
- This book by historian Shirley Baltz details the history of the Belair estate from its earliest days as the Catton tract to its tranformation into a museum showcasing the history of Belair Mansion. (cityofbowie.org)
- Ever since the early days of Barack Obama 's run for president, Breitbart had his hands in the pot. (ibtimes.com)
- They wanted Wright's 14-year-old nephew Emmett Till , who had just arrived from Chicago seven days earlier. (ajc.com)
- In the United States, we have a misguided belief that we should "keep the spark alive" in relationships and maintain that same level of obsessive passion that dominated the early days. (sexpressionists.com)
- The Architectural History of Louisville, 1778-1900 is a comprehensive look at the building styles that formed the city's streetscape and residences from its earliest days right up to the 20th Century. (roadscholar.org)
- My school days now seem like a 100 years ago for much has happened since those early years in the 60�s,� Edwards said. (newswithviews.com)
- The family moved to Schenectady, New York, where Shirley grew up with her older sister. (biography.com)
- Hours before Williams' birth, in the early morning hours, two white men and a woman arrived at the home of Mose Wright in Money, Miss. (ajc.com)
- Shirley Williams, a professor emeritus with Trent University's Chanie Wenjack School for Indigenous Studies and a residential-school survivor herself, knows first-hand the importance of depicting the abuse as it happened. (quillandquire.com)
- Williamson Avenue and Crummer Road are two of the major streets in Grey Lynn. (wikipedia.org)
- The developers largely laid out Grey Lynn's streets as straight roads (as opposed to the earlier farm roads such as Richmond Road, which twists and turns following the curve of the landscape. (wikipedia.org)
- In the early hours of the morning of September the 4th 2010, Floyd, who was known by a different name back then, was out on his nightly wander around the streets of Shirley when the ground began to move ferociously, Floyd was trapped under a falling building. (boredpanda.com)
- But far more significant pressures arose out of the grim economic histories of the major studios which saw all of them by 1936 come under the financial control of either Morgan or Rockefeller financial interests (F. D. Klingender, Money behind the Screen , 1937). (ejumpcut.org)
- Education Minister Shirley Bond said a recent survey indicated that a third of B.C. schools do not have codes of conduct that meet provincial standards, although the Liberal government has been pushing them to take such action since 2003. (vancouversun.com)
- Maynard Faye Throneberry was the decidedly less-colorful - and less-celebrated - of the major leagues' two Throneberry brothers. (sabr.org)
- Kerry Wood won the 1998 Rookie of the Year award, and though he had some injury troubles and only briefly became the pitcher everyone anticipated, pitching in the major leagues for a decade and a half is nothing to sneeze at. (boyofsummer.net)
- It includes brief geneaologies of three families who had major impacts on the estate: the Ogle, Tasker, and Woodward families. (cityofbowie.org)
- Housing is a problem of major magnitude and proportions right now, and although single housing is available, the real problem is for young married students and other young marrieds moving here," said Shirley. (deseretnews.com)
- In all major cities there are temples and churches celebrating different faiths. (newswithviews.com)
- Although they were favourites to win, the song faced stiff competition and after a vocally unsound rendition, [ citation needed ] the early votes were poor. (wikipedia.org)
- Our primary goal is to obtain grant funds and local contributions to use for services and activities which have a major impact on the causes of poverty in the community. (johnstonnc.com)
- Poverty is another major concern and not necessarily related to one's racial background or language of commerce. (ascd.org)
- Specter said the family moved to Philadelphia when his sister Shirley was of a marriageable age because there were no other Jews in Russell. (wikipedia.org)
- Politically well connected, Shirley began his career in Massachusetts as advocate general in the admiralty court, and quickly became an opponent of Governor Jonathan Belcher. (wikipedia.org)
- Shirley started his career in Cincinnati as a defensive tackle, briefly shifted to offensive guard and then was moved back to defense. (rotoworld.com)
- A major character risk coming out of Fresno State in 2008, Shirley flashed early in his Bengals career before a failed position switch to offensive guard. (rotoworld.com)
- Norden's early career was as a scriptwriter for other comedians and radio and tv shows. (deathlist.net)
- In 2009, the Shirley School District turned the building -- which had been used most recently as a preschool -- over to the Council on Aging for use as the Shirley Senior Center. (sentinelandenterprise.com)
- The Planning and Zoning Commission denied the zone change twice, and the decision was appealed to the City Council earlier this month for review. (deseretnews.com)
- Earlier in the meeting many department heads presented their proposed budgets to the council without many problems. (chestertontribune.com)
- Early this year, one of our infrared cordless headphones received the Eco-products Award from the Business Environment Council in Hong Kong," Tsui says. (hktdc.com)
- Her late teens and early twenties were a series of half-starts and depressive episodes, including a troubled stint at the University of Rochester, before finding a happier home at Syracuse University. (barnesandnoble.com)
- Cer and preventing major depressive symptoms may. (instagrampopularpagetips.com)
- And Shirley in film and story was as highly finished an object as a Christmas tree ornament. (ejumpcut.org)
- With a series of decisive wins, Clinton secures the delegates she'll need to become the first woman to be a major-party nominee. (theatlantic.com)
- Although we focus on a particular measure of player contribution, wins above replacement (WAR) in major league baseball, the issues and approaches examined in this paper apply more generally to any endeavor to provide a comprehensive measure of individual player performance in sports. (degruyter.com)
- Though the quality level drops off quite a bit after that, lots of guys would kill to have had the careers of Tim Wakefield (200 major league Wins, two World Series rings, one dramatic walk-off homer to Aaron Boone ) or even Pedro Astacio, who held a bunch of Rockies pitching records before Ubaldo Jiminez came along. (boyofsummer.net)
- However, the link between alcohol intake and all-cause mortality following the diagnosis of invasive breast cancer is less clear, with early studies finding no association ( 5 - 8 ), but two recent studies reported an inverse association with mortality ( 9 , 10 ). (aacrjournals.org)
- In telephone interviews, Sandwich public safety officials said earlier today that flooding is a chronic concern during storms, but added that they are prepared for what may come. (bostonglobe.com)
- Early notes from financial backers expressed concern that the sexual, physical, and psychological abuses committed against the Indigenous children in the book would be too difficult to watch. (quillandquire.com)
- Not surprisingly, the pandemic has had a major negative impact on both individuals and organizations. (mybrainmatters.ca)
- While Major League Baseball and its players' union squabble over how to salvage their 2020 season in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, a Piscataquis County bat maker is continuing to expand his footprint in the sport. (bangordailynews.com)
- In addition to being used to search for and produce drug candidates and other medically relevant compounds, marine sponge cell lines can be used by evolutionary biologists to study early animal evolution. (upi.com)
- Shirley also made common cause with Samuel Waldo, a wealthy merchant and major landowner in the province eastern district (present-day Maine) where Belcher's lax enforcement of timber-cutting laws was harming his business with the Royal Navy. (wikipedia.org)
- He made his breakthrough as a singer in his early 20s when Edith Piaf heard him sing and invited him to perform on her on tour. (deathlist.net)
- Can People Really Heal from Major Symptoms, Conditions and Diseases with Alternative and Natural Healing Treatments? (totalhealthinstitute.com)
- Education Minister Shirley Bond said the changes will require the business companies to be more accountable to the elected school board, hold public meetings, issue annual reports and prepare audited financial statements. (vancouversun.com)
- Dove Tail Bats owner Paul Lancisi stands at the site of a new batting facility and cabinet-making building whose construction at the Shirley business should be completed in mid-July. (bangordailynews.com)
- SUSC Vice President of Student Services Sterling Church, who said earlier Wednesday that the college would have no official spokesman at the public hearing, pointed out that state funds can't be used to build student housing and the college has limited bonding capability for student housing due to recent major proj-ects. (deseretnews.com)
- No major changes were reported in the Health Department or Surveyor s budgets, while the Plan Commission seeks to hire one more employee to replace a recent retiree. (chestertontribune.com)
- Attendee's graduation years ranged from the early 1970's to the very recent Class of 2013. (ucla.edu)
- Her early recordings were not distributed beyond New England, and a brace of recent CDs on national labels, Spring and It's Another Day , were overproduced, misguided attempts to position her as a crossover artist. (washingtoncitypaper.com)
- Scientists are finding that the same changes to chromosomes that happen as people age can also be found in people experiencing major stress and depression. (wsj.com)
- White School, after a woman who taught in Shirley for 50 years. (sentinelandenterprise.com)
- Shirley Muldowney became the first licensed woman to drive a gas-powered dragster professionally in an NHRA category. (biography.com)
- In 1965, Shirley Muldowney became the first woman to receive a license from the National Hot Rod Association to drag race professionally, after forming a coalition with other women racers that included Judi Boertman and Della Woods. (biography.com)
- A triumphant Hillary Clinton laid claim to the Democratic nomination Tuesday night, making a pitch for unity and celebrating her historic status as the first woman to be a major party's presidential candidate. (theatlantic.com)
- A photo in the Shirley Historical Society schoolhouse exhibit shows a glimpse inside the Shirley District No. 8 schoolhouse on Church Street. (sentinelandenterprise.com)
- He understood the importance his exclusive haute couture shows played in stoking consumer desire and became an early pioneer of licensing. (richmond.com)
- However, major surveys of living conditions and health problems are better delayed until the program is in operation and such surveys can be used as mechanisms for community participation, motivation and education. (repec.org)
- Your education is the best vaccine I know against early obsolescence. (princeton.edu)
- The B.C. government is considering a plan to give principals and parents more control over public schools and a greater say over how education dollars are spent locally, Education Minister Shirley Bond confirmed Thursday. (vancouversun.com)
- Education Minister Shirley Bond said there is no reason to audit the Offshore School Certification Program because it is not costly and was not designed to make money. (vancouversun.com)
- Children with special needs may soon be able to attend "model" schools with expertise in their own learning styles, Education Minister Shirley Bond said Wednesday. (vancouversun.com)
- He was a devout Catholic having formed his faith during his early education at Christian Brothers Academy in Albany. (lifestorynet.com)
- Shirley, rookie Frank Kearse, and second-year pro Andre Neblett have been a boon to the run defense as well. (rotoworld.com)
- Clean Shirley Babashoff was beaten in the 100- and 200-meter freestyles by 17-year-old East German Kornelia Ender, who won four gold medals, and in the 400 and 800 freestyles by 15-year-old East German Petra Thumer. (drmirkin.com)
- In 1997, he quit the governorship a year early to pursue a stubborn and quixotic effort to get Jesse Helms to confirm him as Bill Clinton's ambassador to Mexico. (nymag.com)
- Dove Tail bats is one of approximately 35 bat makers certified by Major League Baseball, and its clients last season included National League Rookie of the Year and Home Run Derby king Pete Alonso and fellow New York Mets all-star Jeff McNeil. (bangordailynews.com)
- The highlight of the day was the recognition of the Co-Alumnus of the Year, Drs. Douglas Yoon and Adam Chen and the Co-Honorary Alumnus of the Year, Shirley and Ralph Shapiro. (ucla.edu)
- These programs underwent an assessment this year and are committed to increasing the quality of child care in La Plata County: Animas Valley Head Start, Florida Mesa Head Start, Mercy Employee Child Care, Needham Head Start, Riverhouse Children s Center, the Roberta Shirley Center and the Southern Ute Montessori Head Start. (durangoherald.com)
- Among other projects, the town of Shirley requested funds to build a new eight-room school building on Lancaster Road. (sentinelandenterprise.com)
- Soon the industrial-arts and home-economics classrooms were needed for other purposes, and in 1996, Shirley again began to lease space for its students, this time at a pre-school daycare building on Devens property, until the town could find additional school space. (sentinelandenterprise.com)
- The ebook a hanging in nacogdoches murder race politics and polemics in texass oldest town 1870 1916 clifton and shirley caldwell work concept uses remained. (netcompcg.com)
- An accomplished actress of stage, screen, and television, Shirley Knight has specialized in playing contemporary women with psychological problems. (allmovie.com)
- Professionally, Dr. Cherney serves on boards and committees of major research and clinical organizations, has been awarded scores of research grants including from the National Institutes of Health and the National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research. (chicagotribune.com)
- In early June, nearly 40,000 clinical oncologists, cancer researchers and other healthcare and industry professionals convened in Chicago for the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Annual Meeting - the world's largest clinical oncology meeting. (pancan.jp)
- Democratic presidential nominee Sen. Barack Obama and Republican vice presidential nominee Gov. Sarah Palin landed spots on the tickets of the major parties after two decades of increased numbers of women and minorities entering the political arena. (go.com)
- In fact, the next US election campaign may produce the first major-party fundamentalist presidential candidate since William Jennings Bryan 80 years ago. (csmonitor.com)
- In 1736 Shirley sent his wife to London to lobby on his behalf against Belcher. (wikipedia.org)
- Diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma in early 2005, he continued his work in the Senate while undergoing chemotherapy. (wikipedia.org)
- She has published her work extensively in the field's major journals and co-authored numerous authoritative review articles. (chicagotribune.com)
- On a Friday in early 2012, Christine Haebler, a producer at Screen Siren Pictures, was driving to work when she heard Richard Wagamese on CBC Radio talking to host Shelagh Rogers about Indian Horse , his novel about an Ojibwe boy named Saul who is traumatized at a residential school and finds possible salvation through hockey. (quillandquire.com)
- The successful Siege of Louisbourg, which Shirley had a major role in organizing, was one of the high points of his administration. (wikipedia.org)
- Ayer-Shirley Regional School Committee member Joyce Reischutz and Pat Wood admire the plans for the renovated Ayer-Shirley Regional High School, on display as part of the Shirley Schoolhouse exhibit at the museum. (sentinelandenterprise.com)
- The influx of immigrants has grown rapidly, with a high populace in all of the major cities. (newswithviews.com)
- Faced with the best offense in the majors in 2012, a team averaging nearly six runs per contest, Darvish delivered an array of pitches , none of which proved terribly appealing for the Yankees' bats. (boyofsummer.net)
- And in the growing trend of early voting in 32 states, almost one- third of those had cast early ballots before Election Day. (go.com)
- Early European researchers actually believed that the creature was an elaborate hoax because it so spectacularly defied what we understood about animal physiology. (care2.com)
- She strapped on the FHM again and monitored me for about 45mins before telling me that I was still in the very early stages of labour, go back to sleep and to call her if my waters break. (hitrecord.org)
- Getting back to my initial question, what does Yu Darvish have in common with that otherwise seemingly random and varied array of current and former major league pitchers? (boyofsummer.net)
- Bert's eating with his mouth open now bugs the Hell out of Shirley. (sexpressionists.com)
- In the early '60s, Knight began appearing occasionally on television, making a memorable debut in the sci-fi anthology series Outer Limits , in the episode "The Man Who Was Never Born" opposite Martin Landau . (allmovie.com)
- Senior Elizabeth Butterworth, a classics major from Auburn, Mass., delivers the Latin Salutatory, the University's oldest student honor. (princeton.edu)
- He transferred to the University of Pennsylvania , majored in international relations , and graduated Phi Beta Kappa in 1951. (wikipedia.org)
- Orson Bean , an accomplished TV, film and theater actor with credits ranging from a 1960 Twilight Zone episode to the 1999 movie Being John Malkovich , has spoken out a number of times about Breitbart's death since the conservative media figure passed away at UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles early Thursday morning. (ibtimes.com)
- There's very little emotional bonding happening in that early phase, even though both people are seemingly obsessed with each other. (sexpressionists.com)
- In Primary Health Care (PHC) projects, it has become customary to conduct all-purpose surveys early in the project. (repec.org)
- Born in 1916 and raised in comfortable bourgeois surroundings in and around Burlingame, California, Jackson was inspired from an early age by voracious reading of folktales, mythology, the Oz books, and commedia dell'arte. (barnesandnoble.com)
- To that end, this song effectively touched upon the major musical themes that were by then firmly established by the Bond song opus. (3quarksdaily.com)
- Jill Shirley, with whom Martin had been in a group called 'Rags' who had appeared in the 1977 'A Song for Europe' contest (placing fourth) agreed to manage the group. (wikipedia.org)
- 7 Years After Major Nz Earthquake, The 'Unknown Cat' I Wrote About In Quake Cats Book Is Found Alive & Well, Fully Recovered From Horrific Injuries. (boredpanda.com)
- The result is an indispensable guide to Louisville's early architectural history and a reference book for generations to come. (roadscholar.org)