Ribosome Inactivating Proteins
N-Glycosidases that remove adenines from RIBOSOMAL RNA, depurinating the conserved alpha-sarcin loop of 28S RIBOSOMAL RNA. They often consist of a toxic A subunit and a binding lectin B subunit. They may be considered as PROTEIN SYNTHESIS INHIBITORS. They are found in many PLANTS and have cytotoxic and antiviral activity.
Ribosome Inactivating Proteins, Type 2
Protein or glycoprotein substances of plant origin that bind to sugar moieties in cell walls or membranes. Some carbohydrate-metabolizing proteins (ENZYMES) from PLANTS also bind to carbohydrates, however they are not considered lectins. Many plant lectins change the physiology of the membrane of BLOOD CELLS to cause agglutination, mitosis, or other biochemical changes. They may play a role in plant defense mechanisms.
Proteins that share the common characteristic of binding to carbohydrates. Some ANTIBODIES and carbohydrate-metabolizing proteins (ENZYMES) also bind to carbohydrates, however they are not considered lectins. PLANT LECTINS are carbohydrate-binding proteins that have been primarily identified by their hemagglutinating activity (HEMAGGLUTININS). However, a variety of lectins occur in animal species where they serve diverse array of functions through specific carbohydrate recognition.
A group of enzymes with the general formula CMP-N-acetylneuraminate:acceptor N-acetylneuraminyl transferase. They catalyze the transfer of N-acetylneuraminic acid from CMP-N-acetylneuraminic acid to an acceptor, which is usually the terminal sugar residue of an oligosaccharide, a glycoprotein, or a glycolipid. EC 2.4.99.-.
An aldohexose that occurs naturally in the D-form in lactose, cerebrosides, gangliosides, and mucoproteins. Deficiency of galactosyl-1-phosphate uridyltransferase (GALACTOSE-1-PHOSPHATE URIDYL-TRANSFERASE DEFICIENCY DISEASE) causes an error in galactose metabolism called GALACTOSEMIA, resulting in elevations of galactose in the blood.
Molecular Sequence Data
Descriptions of specific amino acid, carbohydrate, or nucleotide sequences which have appeared in the published literature and/or are deposited in and maintained by databanks such as GENBANK, European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), National Biomedical Research Foundation (NBRF), or other sequence repositories.
Amino Acid Sequence
Southwestern United States
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
An acute febrile illness caused by RICKETTSIA RICKETTSII. It is transmitted to humans by bites of infected ticks and occurs only in North and South America. Characteristics include a sudden onset with headache and chills and fever lasting about two to three weeks. A cutaneous rash commonly appears on the extremities and trunk about the fourth day of illness.
Skin Lightening Preparations
Plants, Genetically Modified
... such as those of elderberry Sambucus nigra, Origanum vulgare, Jacobaea vulgaris, Ligustrum vulgare and Rubus idaeus. " ... The hind tufts are strongly fan shaped, blue-black in colour, clear yellowish white on the sides. Adults are on wing from May ... The antennae, head, thorax and abdomen shine blue black. A red ring is located respectively on the fourth and fifth segment of ...
List of flora of Washington (state)
Sambucus nigra- blue elderberry Sambucus racemosa- red elderberry Viburnum edule- high-bush cranberry Viburnum ellipticum- ... blue umber lily Triteleia hyacinthina- white triteleia Athyrium filix-femina - common lady fern Blechnum spicant - deer fern ...
List of flora of the Sonoran Desert Region by common name
... blue elderberry (Sambucus nigra) common iceplant (Mesembryanthemum crystallinum) desert horsepurslane (Trianthema ... stiff blue-eyed grass (Sisyrinchium demissum) tiger flower (Tigridia pavonia) western blue-eyed grass (Sisyrinchium bellum) ... blue grama (Bouteloua gracilis) blue panicum (Panicum antidotale) bristly wolfstail (Lycurus setosus) broadleaf carpetgrass ( ... blue milkwort (Polygala barbeyana) blue pygmyflower (Monnina wrightii) glandleaf milkwort (Polygala macradenia) tropical ...
Traditional dyes of the Scottish Highlands
Blue Blaeberry (Vaccinium myrtillus) with alum or copperas Elderberry (Sambucus nigra) with alum "Ailleann" elecampane Brown ... If blue, the thread is then washed in salt water, but any other colour uses fresh water. Amateurs may wish to experiment with ... hawthorn bark with copperas Alder bark with copperas Blue-black Common sloe - Prunus spinosa - "preas nan àirneag" Red ...
... pine Corylus avellana Malus sylvestris Quercus cerris Platanus orientalis Sorbus torminalis Sorbus aucuparia Sambucus nigra ... The site has the following fauna: Speckled wood Holly blue Dark bush-cricket Eurasian blackcap Common chiffchaff Coal tit ...
... monogyna Fraxinus excelsior Ilex aquifolium Prunus avium Prunus cerasifera Prunus spinosa Quercus robur Sambucus nigra Taxus ... The site has the following fauna: Common shrew European rabbit Red fox Green-veined white Holly blue Aglais io Polygonia c- ...
... or Sambucus nigra ssp. cerulea, with the common names blue elderberry and blue elder, is a coarse textured ... "Sambucus nigra ssp. cerulea (blue elderberry)". CalFlora Database. "[description] of Sambucus cerulea subsp. caerulea". Jepson ... classify the plant as Sambucus nigra subsp. cerulea. The Sunset Western Garden Book identifies the plant as Sambucus mexicana, ... Sambucus nigra ssp. cerulea is cultivated as an ornamental plant by plant nurseries, for planting in traditional, native plant ...
Sambucus canadensis L. = Sambucus nigra L. subsp. canadensis (L.) Bolli Sambucus mexicana auct. non C.Presl ex DC. = Sambucus ... Sambucus mexicana may refer to the following North American black or blue elderberry species: Sambucus mexicana C.Presl ex DC ... cerulea (Raf.) A.E.Murray = Sambucus cerulea Raf. = Sambucus nigra L. subsp. cerulea (Raf.) Bolli Sambucus mexicana C.Presl ex ... 2013 Sambucus mexicana C.Presl ex DC. subsp. cerulea (Raf.) A.E.Murray USDA-NRCS PLANTS profile for Sambucus nigra L. ssp. ...
The blue or Mexican elderberry, Sambucus mexicana, is now generally treated as one or two subspecies of Sambucus nigra subsp. ... "Sambucus nigra f. laciniata / RHS Gardening". Apps.rhs.org.uk. Retrieved 2021-03-06. "RHS Plantfinder - Sambucus nigra 'Eva'". ... "Sambucus nigra". Integrated Taxonomic Information System. "Plants Profile for Sambucus nigra (black elderberry)". Plants.usda. ... "Sambucus nigra Elderberry - European Elder, Black elderberry, American black elderberry, Blue elderberry, Europea PFAF Plant ...
... western North America Sambucus microbotrys - southwest North America Sambucus nigra - Europe and North America Sambucus ... Valley elderberry longhorn beetles in California are very often found around red or blue elderberry bushes. Females lay their ... South America Sambucus callicarpa - west coast of North America Sambucus canadensis - eastern North America Sambucus cerulea - ... The flowers of Sambucus nigra are used to produce elderflower cordial. St-Germain, a French liqueur, is made from elderflowers ...
Pennant and others have noted that the only trees growing on the island are elders (Sambucus nigra) or bourtrees in the Scots ... Ailsa Craig Common Green is a lesser quality granite than Blue Hone. In the past, most curling stones were made from Blue Hone ... Ailsa Craig produced two types of granite for curling, Blue Hone and Ailsa Craig Common Green. Blue Hone has very low water ... "blue hone" microgranite has long been quarried to make curling stones. The now-uninhabited island is formed from a magmatic ...
Sambucus nigra). Some advise against planting R. tricolor with any plants smaller than trees because it will tend to smother ... A purple - blue dye can be made from the fruit. The flowers also provide forage for bees. Pronunciation of Botanical Latin is ...
List of invasive species in South Africa
... giant salvinia Sambucus canadensis - Canadian elder Sambucus nigra - European elder Senna bicapsularis - rambling senna Senna ... asiatica - mosquito fern Bartlettina sordida - blue mist flower Bauhinia purpurea - butterfly orchid tree Bauhinia variegata - ... blue jacaranda Jatropha gossypiifolia - cotton-leaf physic nut Kalanchoe delagoensis - chandelier plant Kali tragus - Russian ... blue gum psyllid  Eulachnus rileyi - pine needle aphid  Frankliniella occidentalis - western flower thrips  Harmonia ...
List of trees and shrubs by taxonomic family
Sambucus - elders Sambucus caerulea - blue berry elder Sambucus callicarpa - Pacific red berry elder Sambucus canadensis - ... European dwarf elder Sambucus melanocarpa - black berry elder Sambucus nigra - black elder Sambucus pubens - eastern red berry ... bishop pine Pinus nigra nigra - European black pine; Austrian pine Pinus nigra salzmannii - Cevennes black pine Pinus nigra ... Mexican blue palm Brahea brandegeei - San Jose hesper palm Brahea edulis - Guadalupe palm Butia - pindo palms Butia capitata - ...
Thus the American black elder is Sambucus nigra subsp. canadensis; the white-flowered form of the ivy-leaved cyclamen is ... little blue bulbs (RHS Plant Trials and Awards, Bulletin Number 11), Royal Horticultural Society, archived from the original on ...
List of food origins
American elderberry (Sambucus canadensis; Adoxaceae) American grape: North American species (e.g., Vitis labrusca; Vitaceae) ... Canada plum (Prunus nigra; Rosaceae) Canadian serviceberry (Amelanchier canadensis; Rosaceae), also called sugarplum ... Atherton raspberry (Rubus probus; Rosaceae) Black apple (Planchonella australis; Sapotaceae) Blue tongue (Melastoma affine; ... Notable among these are natives of the Mediterranean: Black mulberry (Morus nigra; Moraceae) Cornelian cherry (Cornus mas; ...
List of flora of Arkansas
compacta - A blazing star Lobelia siphilitica - Great Blue Lobelia Lysimachia quadriflora Mespilus canescens - Stern's medlar ... Shagbark Hickory Other Carya species also common Betula nigra - River Birch Quercus alba - White Oak Other Quercus species also ... Wild roses Sambucus species - Elderberries. ... Ouachita blue star Astragalus soxmaniorum - Soxmans' milk-vetch ... American Elm Other Ulmus species also common Salix nigra - Black Willow Euonymus - Euonymus, Marble Queen Rubus species - ...
List of trees of Canada
Sambucus (elder) Sambucus callicarpa (Red-berry elder) Sambucus canadensis (American elder) Sambucus cerulea (Blue-berry elder ... Fraxinus nigra (Black Ash) Fraxinus pennsylvanica (Green Ash) Fraxinus profunda (Pumpkin Ash) Fraxinus quadrangulata (Blue Ash ... Sambucus melanocarpa (Black-berry elder) Sambucus pubens (Eastern red-berry elder) Shepherdia Shepherdia argentea (Silver ... introduced Pinus nigra (European Black Pine) or Austrian Pine - introduced Pinus ponderosa (Ponderosa Pine) Pinus resinosa (Red ...
List of culinary herbs and spices
Blue fenugreek, blue melilot (Trigonella caerulea) California bay laurel (Umbellularia californica) Caper (Capparis spinosa) ... Brassica nigra) Mustard, brown, mustard plant, mustard seed (Brassica juncea) Mustard, white, mustard plant, mustard seed ( ... Sambucus spp.) Epazote (Dysphania ambrosioides) Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare) Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) Filé powder, ...
List of virus species
... novirhabdovirus Salmonlouse caligrhavirus Salobo phlabovirus Salterprovirus His1 Sambucus virus C Sambucus virus D Sambucus ... 1 Blechum interveinal chlorosis virus Blechum yellow vein virus Blotched snakehead virus Blue gill hepatitis B virus Blue ... Rift Valley fever phlebovirus Rinderpest morbillivirus Rio Bravo virus Rio Chico almendravirus Rio Grande phlebovirus Rio Negro ... Nyando orthobunyavirus Nyctalus velutinus alphacoronavirus SC-2013 Nylanderia fulva virus 1 Oakvale sunrhavirus Oat blue dwarf ...
List of endangered plants
Adjarian scabious Succisella andreae-molinae Tetradoxa omeiensis Valeriana secunda Subspecies Sambucus nigra subsp. palmensis ... Eastern cape blue cycad Encephalartos kisambo, Voi cycad Encephalartos lebomboensis, Lebombo cycad Encephalartos macrostrobilus ... rotundata Pinus nigra subsp. dalmatica Pinus pinaster subsp. renoui Varieties Abies guatemalensis var. guatemalensis Abies ... minor Species Amygdalus ledebouriana Armeniaca vulgaris, Wild apricot Crataegus nigra, Hungarian thorn Malus komarovii Malus ...
List of plants by common name
Black ash - Acer negundo, Fraxinus nigra Blue ash - Fraxinus quadrangulata Cane ash - Fraxinus americana European ash - ... Sambucus Elegant lupine - Lupinus elegans Elephant apple - Dillenia indica English bull's eye - Rudbeckia hirta Eucalyptus - ... Betula nigra River birch - Betula nigra, Betula lenta Silver birch - Betula papyrifera Spice birch - Betula lenta Sweet birch ... Bluebell - Hyacinthoides non-scripta Blue-of-the-heavens - Allium caeruleum Bow-wood - Maclura pomifera Box - Buxus False box ...
Plants Profile for Sambucus nigra cerulea (blue elderberry)
Sambucus cerulea Raf.. blue elder blue elderberry blueberry elder Mexican elder SACEN. Sambucus cerulea Raf. var. neomexicana ( ... Sambucus nigra L. ssp. caerulea (Raf.) R. Bolli, orth. var. blue elderberry blue elder ... Sambucus nigra L. ssp. cerulea (Raf.) R. Bolli Show All. Show Tabs. blue elderberry ... Sambucus caerulea Raf. var. neomexicana (Wooton) Rehder, orth. var. SACAV. Sambucus caerulea Raf. var. velutina (Durand & Hilg ...
Sambucus nigra spp canadensis American Elder PFAF Plant Database
Sambucus nigra spp canadensis is a deciduous Shrub growing to 4 m (13ft) by 4 m (13ft) at a fast rate. It is hardy to zone (UK ... Sambucus australasica. Yellow Elderberry. Shrub. 6.0. - LMH. SN. M. 2. 0. Sambucus caerulea. Blue Elder. Shrub. 3.0. 4-8 M. LMH ... Sambucus nigra. Elderberry - European Elder, Black elderberry, American black elderberry, Blue elderberry, Europea. Shrub. 6.0 ... Sambucus latipinna. Shrub. 0.0. - LMH. SN. M. 1. 0. Sambucus melanocarpa. Black Elder, Rocky Mountain elder. Shrub. 4.0. 5-9 ...
Sambucus nigra - Wikipedia
The blue or Mexican elderberry, Sambucus mexicana, is now generally treated as one or two subspecies of Sambucus nigra subsp. ... "Sambucus nigra f. laciniata / RHS Gardening". Apps.rhs.org.uk. Retrieved 2021-03-06. "RHS Plantfinder - Sambucus nigra Eva". ... "Sambucus nigra". Integrated Taxonomic Information System. "Plants Profile for Sambucus nigra (black elderberry)". Plants.usda. ... "Sambucus nigra Elderberry - European Elder, Black elderberry, American black elderberry, Blue elderberry, Europea PFAF Plant ...
Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center - The University of Texas at Austin
Culturally Significant Plants | USDA PLANTS
Sambucus melanocarpa Black Elder, Rocky Mountain elder PFAF Plant Database
Sambucus melanocarpa is a deciduous Shrub growing to 4 m (13ft 1in). It is hardy to zone (UK) 6. It is in flower from Jun to ... Sambucus nigra. Elderberry - European Elder, Black elderberry, American black elderberry, Blue elderberry, Europea. 4. 3. ... Sambucus pubens. American Red Elder. 3. 1. Sambucus racemosa. Red Elder, Red elderberry, Rocky Mountain elder, European Red ... Sambucus melanocarpa is a deciduous Shrub growing to 4 m (13ft 1in). It is hardy to zone (UK) 6. It is in flower from Jun to ...
Sambucus cerulea - Wikipedia
Sambucus cerulea or Sambucus nigra ssp. cerulea, with the common names blue elderberry and blue elder, is a coarse textured ... "Sambucus nigra ssp. cerulea (blue elderberry)". CalFlora Database. "[description] of Sambucus cerulea subsp. caerulea". Jepson ... classify the plant as Sambucus nigra subsp. cerulea. The Sunset Western Garden Book identifies the plant as Sambucus mexicana, ... Sambucus nigra ssp. cerulea is cultivated as an ornamental plant by plant nurseries, for planting in traditional, native plant ...
Garden Guides | What Kinds of Fruit Grow in the Catskill Mountains?
Tonique Douceur - Skin Care Cleansers & Toners | Lancôme
Stephen Rosenthal's San Jose Garden | California Native Plant Society
Blue elderberry. Sambucus nigra ssp. caerule. Adoxaceae. Bee plant. Scrophularia californica. Scrophulariaceae. ... Other shrubs include groundcover flannel bush (Fremontodendron decumbens), western elderberry (Sambucus nigra ssp. caerulea), ... There are several different kinds of lupine (Lupinus), gilia (Gilia), blue flax (Linum lewisii), clarkia (Clarkia), phacelia ( ... Woolly blue curls (Trichostema lanatum)-More difficult to grow and keep alive, but absolutely gorgeous, when blooming. Its one ...
Elder Berry Sambucus nigra (Caprifoliaceae) | Pagan News 2.0
The American Flower Garden: Chapter 10
ELDER, COMMON (Sambucus nigra). Useful for pond borders and wild gardening. ---, GOLDEN (S. nigra, var. aurea). 12 feet. The ... BLUE SPIREA (Caryopteris Mastacanthus). Conical flower spikes with lavender-blue flowers. August, September. The only blue- ... SPIREA, BLUE. See BLUE SPIREA.. STAGGER BUSH (Pieris Mariana). Nodding flowers, in clusters, on leafless branches of the ... BLACK (A. nigra). Similar, but with black berries. Both perfectly hardy and among the most beautiful fruiting small shrubs. Any ...
Leaders In Homoeopathic Therapeutics by E. B. NASH
SAMBUCUS NIGRA.. Is a prime remedy for snuffles in small children. It is of the dry variety, completely obstructing the nose ... The attacks come on suddenly in the night; child turns blue, gasps for breath and seems as if almost dying. Then it goes to ... Laughs immoderately, or cries or scolds until her lips turn blue, eyes stare and she falls down fainting or unconscious. ...
Elderberry Sambucus nigra ssp. canadensis (L.) Bolli. 1. ELDERBERRY. Sambucus nigra ssp. canadensis. Plant Family ADOXACEAE. ... Spikes of violet-blue flowers extend above the foliage.. coll. Amanda Bush Flynn #1004 12 June 1999. MARJORAM Origanum majorana ... Sambucus nigra ssp. canadensis (Elderberry). In Europe, the Elder has long been a tree of superstitions. It was believed to be ... Sambucus nigra ssp. canadensis (L.) Bolli alachua county: Gainesville, Kanapaha Botanical Gardens, 4700 S.W. 58th Drive; Herb ...
Homeopathic medicines for CROUP - Dr. Bhanu Sharma
Sambucus Nigra. Pseudo membranous croup; wheezing cough with suffocative attacks just after midnight, and from lying with head ... It is worse before midnight, and it is especially well indicated in light complexioned children with blue eyes. It corresponds ... One of the best remedies for croup; face becomes blue while coughing; intermittent small pulse; great perspiration with ...
Find the right herb: GaiaHerbs.com
Sambucus nigra. Primarily found in Europe and North America, black elderberries have long been used in traditional cultures to ... Juglans nigra. The black walnut tree is Native from New England all the way down the east coast and over to Texas. It is a… ... Black Walnut Fresh Green Hulls (Juglans nigra) have traditionally been used to support the natural… ...
Burke Herbarium Image Collection
thick, bluish-black, but with a dense, pale, powder-blue bloom.. Accepted Name:. Sambucus nigra L. ... PNW Herbaria: Specimen records of Sambucus nigra in the Consortium of Pacific Northwest Herbaria database. ... WA Flora Checklist: Sambucus nigra checklist entry.. E-Flora BC: Sambucus nigra atlas page. ...
What is Elderberry?
Federal Register :: National Organic Program (NOP)-Proposed Amendments to the National List of Allowed and...
Elderberry juice color is a liquid derived from elderberry fruit (Adoxaceae sambucus nigra) through aqueous and physical ... blue or purple. Fruit and vegetable extracts containing Anthocyanins are usually stable to UV light and temperature, but are ... cherry juice color adds a pink to blue-red color to foods. Cherry juice color is a liquid derived from cherry fruit (Prunus ... Black currant juice color adds a bright red to blue-purple color to foods. Black currant juice color is a liquid derived from ...
Elder, Elderberry Benefits
Elder Sambucus nigra . Elder berry wine *Common Names *Elderberry , Elderberry *Botanical Name ... Fruit: Purplish-blue berries. *Preferred Habitat: *Flowering Season:. *Distribution: Native to Europe, elder is especially ... There is some confusion among the different species, but the best studied is the European elder, S. nigra. Americans used S. ...
Bore tree | definition of bore tree by Medical dictionary
Science Nutrient Glossary | AdvoCare
Elderberry (fruit - Sambucus nigra L). This berry is the small blue-black berry of a deciduous tree, Sambucus nigra L., native ... These carotenoids work in the eye by filtering out damaging ultraviolet blue light and working as antioxidants against free ... beta-carotene and blue-green algae. This proprietary blend helps protect against oxidative stress, helps support healthy ...
Plant Information | La Brea Tar Pits and Museum
The creamy white flowers attract insects and the white to blue-tinged fruits attract birds. ... 7. Western elderberry (Sambucus nigra subsp. caerulea). Habitat: Coastal sage scrub, riparian, deep canyon. This common, fast- ... Its creamy white flowers and frosted blue berries are both edible, but all other plant parts are poisonous. Native Americans ... The fragrant yellow flowers in spring, powdery blue berries in autumn, and shiny evergreen leaves provide year-round interest. ...
Online Plant Talk Classes | Botany Every Day
Food: Fruits from Black Elderberry (Sambucus nigra ssp. canadensis) and Blue Elderberry (Sambucus nigra ssp. cerluea) are used ... Sambucus nigra ssp. canadensis) (Weakley, 2008).. Blue Ridge Genera: Diervilla (3), Linnaea (1), Lonicera (3n,3i), Sambucus (2 ... Blue Ridge Genera: Populus (3,2) Salix (7,2). Wofford excluded: Populus x canescens, Populus nigra, Salix caprea, S. cinerea ... Sambucus nigra ssp. canadensis is important for pollen. Most Lonicera spp. flowers have tubes too long for bees to reach their ...
Are Elderberry Stems Poisonous? | Home Guides | SF Gate
Sambucus spp.). Each of these has different U.S. Department of Agriculture Plant Hardiness Zones where they will thrive. ... Blue Elderberry. Blue elderberry (Sambucus mexicana or Sambucus nigra var. caerulea) is also called Mexican elderberry. It ... Black elderberry (Sambucus nigra spp. canadensis) is also called common elderberry or elder. Do not be fooled by deer that eat ... Red elderberry (Sambucus racemona var. racemona) produces berries that are used for making elderberry wine, but that does not ...
Species: Prosopis pubescens
... blue paloverde (Parkinsonia florida), common elderberry (Sambucus nigra ssp. canadensis), Mojave seablite (Suaeda moquinii) and ... gooddingii), black willow (S. nigra), New Mexico olive (Forestiera pubescens var. pubescens), false indigo (Amorpha fruticosa ... The vegetation may include blue paloverde, catclaw acacia, smoketree (Psorothamnus spinosus), western honey mesquite, desert ...
- The blue or Mexican elderberry, Sambucus mexicana, is now generally treated as one or two subspecies of Sambucus nigra subsp. (wikipedia.org)
- cerulea, with the common names blue elderberry and blue elder, is a coarse textured shrub species of elder in the family Adoxaceae. (wikipedia.org)
- Common Elderberry (Sambucus nigra ssp. (gardenguides.com)
- Sambucus Elderberry Syrup, 4 oz. (mightynest.com)
- 7. Western elderberry ( Sambucus nigra subsp. (tarpits.org)
- You may encounter several types of Elderberry (Sambucus spp. (sfgate.com)
- Red elderberry (Sambucus racemona var. (sfgate.com)
- Blue elderberry (Sambucus mexicana or Sambucus nigra var. (sfgate.com)
- The ripe berries of the blue elderberry are edible, but the rest of the plant, including the stems, contains the alkaloids sambucine and hydrocyanic acid. (sfgate.com)
- Eating any part of blue elderberry except for the ripened berries can cause nausea or stomach upset. (sfgate.com)
- Sutherland Gold" elderberry (Sambucus racemona "Sutherland Gold") prefers sunny locations in USDA zones 3 through 8. (sfgate.com)
- Sutherland Gold" elderberry is a variety of Sambucus racemona (red elderberry). (sfgate.com)
- white bursage ( Ambrosia dumosa ), fourwing saltbush ( Atriplex canescens ), big saltbrush (A. lentiformis ), cattle saltbush ( A. polycarpa ), blue paloverde ( Parkinsonia florida ), common elderberry ( Sambucus nigra ssp. (fed.us)
- Sambucus Immune Formula combines black elderberry with organic echinacea, organic astragalus, Vitamin C and Zinc, for enhanced immune support. (totaldiscountvitamins.com)
- An extract of Sambucus nigra L (black elderberry) was found to have antimicrobial activity in vitro against the gram-positive bacteria Streptococcus pyogenes and group C and G Streptococci, against the grarn-negative bacterium Branhamella catarrhalis, and against human influenza viruses. (thefreedictionary.com)
- Blue Elderberry Sambucus nigra ssp. (cnps.org)
- With 20 whole food concentrates and extracts, including blueberry, elderberry, red wine grape and black currant, Source of Life Blue Lighting delivers an incredible total ORAC value of 4000 per serving! (vitadigest.com)
- Elderberry (Sambucus nigra var. (possibilityplace.com)
- Other species with similar chemical parts include the American elder or common elder ( Sambucus canadensis ), antelope brush ( Sambucus tridentata ), blue elderberry ( Sambucus caerulea ), danewort ( Sambucus ebulus ), dwarf elder ( Sambucus ebulus ), red-fruited elder ( Sambucus pubens, Sambucus racemosa ), and Sambucus formosana . (ermasnutritioncenter.com)
- This list would include: Aronia (Aronia melanocarpa), Autumn Olive (Eleagnus umbellata), Blue Elderberry (Sambucus cerulea), Currants - red, white, and black (Ribes sp. (ndsu.edu)
- Elderberry (Sambucus nigra), Gooseberry (Ribes grossularia x), Honeyberry (Lonicera caerulea var. (ndsu.edu)
- Sambucus canadensis, commonly called American elder, is native to eastern North America. (pfaf.org)
- Sambucus nigra spp canadensis is a deciduous Shrub growing to 4 m (13ft) by 4 m (13ft) at a fast rate. (pfaf.org)
- Sambucus canadensis. (pfaf.org)
- canadensis and Sambucus nigra subsp. (wikipedia.org)
- American elder ( S. canadensis ) and European elder ( S. nigra ) have often been studied together, since they have similar parts and uses. (ermasnutritioncenter.com)
- Larger fruit clusters than Sambucus canadensis. (gurneys.com)
- Sambucus caerulea Raf. (usda.gov)
- The Sunset Western Garden Book identifies the plant as Sambucus mexicana, and note use of Sambucus caerulea also. (wikipedia.org)
- Honeyberries - Blue Moon N3059 Lonicera caerulea var. (naturalhealthtechniques.com)
- Honeyberries -Blue Velvet N3046 Lonicera caerulea var. (naturalhealthtechniques.com)
- The Royal Horticultural Society currently lists American elder as Sambucus nigra var. (pfaf.org)
- The elder plant Sambucus nigra is valuable for its berries, blue or purple, as well as its wood. (news-medical.net)
- However, Sambucus ebulus, the dwarf elder, may be toxic and its ingestion should be avoided. (news-medical.net)
- There is some confusion among the different species, but the best studied is the European elder, S. nigra. (anniesremedy.com)
- Sambucus nigra L. is the Latin name for Black Elder. (mightynest.com)
- Elder ( Sambucus nigra ) are those unattractive spindly shrubs with a lichen-tinged, gouged bark, with boring leaves. (cotswoldlife.co.uk)
- Do not confuse with red elder ( Sambucus racemosa ),which is toxic. (howtoprovide.com)
- Many brands add sugar or sorbitol, while Nature's Answer's Sambucus nigra L. contains only pure extract and vegetable glycerin. (mightynest.com)
- Some key ingredients include: Turmeric CO2 supercritical extract (antioxidant and anti-inflammatory), yarrow oil (anti-inflammatory), German blue chamomile oil (decreases skin inflammation), helichrysum (revitalizes skin tissue), galbanum (wound-healing), and copaiba balsam resin (acne-healing). (veganbeautyreview.com)
- Sambucus cerulea Raf. (usda.gov)
- This plant is classified by several different botanical names besides Sambucus cerulea. (wikipedia.org)
- Sambucus cerulea is native to the Western United States, northwestern Mexico, and British Columbia. (wikipedia.org)
- Sambucus cerulea is a large, deciduous shrub, which can grow to be 9 metres (30 ft) in height and 6 metres (20 ft) in width. (wikipedia.org)
- The Latin specific epithet nigra means "black", and refers to the deeply dark colour of the berries. (wikipedia.org)
- The following cultivars have gained the Royal Horticultural Society's Award of Garden Merit: S. nigra f. laciniata (cut-leaved alder) S. nigra f. porphyrophylla 'Eva' S. nigra f. porphyrophylla 'Gerda' The dark blue or purple berries are mildly poisonous in their raw state. (wikipedia.org)
- Berries also produce a blue-purple dye. (pagannews.com)
- A flowering shrub ( Sambucus nigra ) that produces dark blue or black berries that contain antioxidants. (thefreedictionary.com)
- The dark blue/black berries of this plant have many naturally-occurring nutritional substances such as Rutin, Quercetin (flavonoids) and Anthocyanins. (mightynest.com)
- Its creamy white flowers and frosted blue berries are both edible, but all other plant parts are poisonous. (tarpits.org)
- The fragrant yellow flowers in spring, powdery blue berries in autumn, and shiny evergreen leaves provide year-round interest. (tarpits.org)
- The berries are the deepest black-blue, and perhaps because of misplaced associations with poison and witches are seemingly underappreciated. (cotswoldlife.co.uk)
- Pointy folded leaves, opposite, 5-9 at a time, white 5- petal flowers in umbrella clusters, which later become black or blue shiny berries, which can be eaten raw or cooked when ripe. (thefreedictionary.com)
- The dark purple, blue or black berries have 3 seeds and taste funky when ripe, but taste better when dried. (thefreedictionary.com)
- Next time I might experiment with more of a veggie patty ( was thinking mashed broccoli, cauliflower … Shake off the cold with the exotic more » The dried berries of the Sambucus nigra plant are naturally high in immune-boosting compounds that are specifically shown to help beat the cold and flu more quickly. (flypmedia.com)
- dark blue berries with whitish coating. (swbiodiversity.org)
- nigra refers to the dark berries. (swbiodiversity.org)
- The flowers and blue or black berries are most often used as medicine. (ermasnutritioncenter.com)
- Ripe berries are dark purple/blue. (gurneys.com)
- Sambucus nigra is a species complex of flowering plants in the family Adoxaceae native to most of Europe and North America. (wikipedia.org)
- There are several other closely related species, native to Asia and North America, which are similar, and sometimes treated as subspecies of Sambucus nigra. (wikipedia.org)
- Hedges, waste-ground roadsides, and woods are the typical habitats for the species.S. nigra is recorded as very common in Ireland in hedges as scrub in woods. (wikipedia.org)
- Uncertainty remains as to the correct nomenclature for this species, the most common is thought to be S. nigra ssp. (swbiodiversity.org)
- Several species of Sambucus produce elderberries. (ermasnutritioncenter.com)
- Both the current USDA database and The Jepson Manual of California flora (2013) classify the plant as Sambucus nigra subsp. (wikipedia.org)
- The genus name comes from the Greek word sambuce, an ancient wind instrument, in reference to the removal of pith from the twigs to make whistles. (wikipedia.org)
- Sambucus melanocarpa is a deciduous Shrub growing to 4 m (13ft 1in). (pfaf.org)
- R. Bolli, Sambucus velutina Dur. (swbiodiversity.org)
- The references consulted for the statistics of family geographic representation include Flowering Plant Families of the World (Heywood, Brummitt, Culham, & Seberg, 2007), Guide to the Vascular Plants of the Blue Ridge (Wofford, 1989) and a Synonynized Checklist of the Vascular Flora of the United States, Canada and Greenland (Kartesz, 1994). (botanyeveryday.com)
- Ethnobotany of Sambucus nigra ssp. (wikipedia.org)
- Sambucus velutina Durand & Hilg. (usda.gov)
- Sambucus neomexicana Woot. (swbiodiversity.org)
- blue vervain herb ( Verbena hastata ), wild bergamot herb ( Monarda fistulosa ), and German chamomile flower ( Matricaria recutita ). (vitalitymagazine.com)
- Most evidence refers to Sambucus nigra . (ermasnutritioncenter.com)
- The anthocyanins are the red, blue, and purple flavonoid-related compounds, also key in enhancing capillary strength. (ndnr.com)
- Lobelia inflata (Indian tobacco) derives from a common American plant, which has small blue flowers and inflated capsules. (blogspot.com)
- Herbs such as Sambucus nigra and Glycyrrhriza glabra are considered important. (thefreedictionary.com)
- Fremont cottonwood ( P. fremontii ), sandbar willow ( S. exigua ), Goodding willow ( S . gooddingii ), black willow ( S. nigra ), New Mexico olive ( Forestiera pubescens var. (fed.us)