A republic in western Africa, south of NIGER and between TOGO and NIGERIA. Its capital is Porto-Novo. It was formerly called Dahomey. In the 17th century it was a kingdom in the southern area of Africa. Coastal footholds were established by the French who deposed the ruler by 1892. It was made a French colony in 1894 and gained independence in 1960. Benin comes from the name of the indigenous inhabitants, the Bini, now more closely linked with southern Nigeria (Benin City, a town there). Bini may be related to the Arabic bani, sons. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p136, 310 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p60)
Cultured Milk Products
Medical Missions, Official
Provisions of an insurance policy that require the insured to pay some portion of covered expenses. Several forms of sharing are in use, e.g., deductibles, coinsurance, and copayments. Cost sharing does not refer to or include amounts paid in premiums for the coverage. (From Dictionary of Health Services Management, 2d ed)
Sustaining malaria prevention in Benin: local production of bednets. (1/209)Through a Benin-Canada participatory research initiative which included both Benin and Canadian non-governmental organizations, a local capacity to produce and market bednets for the prevention of malaria was developed. The development process began following a community-based assessment of local needs and skills. All materials for the manufacture and distribution of the bednets were obtained locally with the exception of the netting which was imported from Canada. The sustainability of the enterprise is enhanced by the community's recognition of the importance of malaria and the culturally acceptable practice of bednet use. (+info)
Divergence of West African and North American communities of Aspergillus section Flavi. (2/209)West African Aspergillus flavus S isolates differed from North American isolates. Both produced aflatoxin B1. However, 40 and 100% of West African isolates also produced aflatoxin G1 in NH4 medium and urea medium, respectively. No North American S strain isolate produced aflatoxin G1. This geographical and physiological divergence may influence aflatoxin management. (+info)
Concentrations of riboflavin and related organic acids in children with protein-energy malnutrition. (3/209)BACKGROUND: Riboflavin, flavin mononucleotide (FMN), and flavin adenine dinucleotide (FAD) concentrations have been little studied in cases of malnutrition. OBJECTIVE: Our objective was to investigate the effects of malnutrition on riboflavin status and riboflavin's relation with thyroid hormones and concentrations of urinary organic acids. DESIGN: Malnourished children from the savannah in Benin (group S, n = 30) and the coast in Togo (group C, n = 30), as well as 24 control subjects from both regions, were studied. Blood riboflavin, FMN, and FAD were analyzed by HPLC; urinary organic acids were analyzed by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. RESULTS: Children in group S were more severely malnourished than children in group C. Triiodothyronine concentrations were lower in group S than in group C or the control group (1.12 +/- 0.24 compared with 1.74 +/- 0.18 and 2.92 +/- 0.19 nmol/L, respectively; P < 0.0001). Plasma riboflavin concentrations in group S were higher than those in group C or the control group (66.90 +/- 12.75 compared with 28.09 +/- 9.12 and 20.08 +/- 3.03 nmol/L, respectively; P < 0.001). Plasma FAD concentrations in group S were lower than those in group C or the control group (31.57 +/- 10.19 compared with 59.02 +/- 5.60 and 65.35 +/- 5.23 nmol/L, respectively; P < 0.0001). Dicarboxylic aciduria was higher in group C than in group S or the control subjects. CONCLUSIONS: Children in group S had low triiodothyronine concentrations and low conversion of plasma riboflavin into its cofactors, leading to a plasma FAD deficiency. Plasma FAD was not correlated with urinary dicarboxylic acid concentrations. (+info)
Economic impact of febrile morbidity and use of permethrin-impregnated bed-nets in a malarious area I. Study of demographics, morbidity, and household expenditures associated with febrile morbidity in the Republic of Benin. (4/209)In preparation for a study on the effect of bed net use on malaria, this article describes febrile morbidity and malaria expenditures in a sub-Saharan area (Benin) of hyperendemic malaria. The 325 randomly selected households were visited weekly between April 1994 and March 1995 to determine febrile morbidity and household expenditures for prevention and treatment. The results indicate that rural children had two febrile episodes annually compared with 0.3 episodes among children living in the city. There was no difference in mean annual febrile episodes between adults and children (adults = 1.5, children = 1.5; P = 0.48) and in the expenditures per febrile episode (adults = US$1.85, children = US$1.62; P = 0.45). Annual prevention expenditures were higher for adults than for children (US$1.73 and US$1.28, respectively; P < 0.001), although there was no significant difference in expenditures for annual treatment for adults and children (US$2.15 and US$2.34, respectively). These and other findings are analyzed further and discussed. (+info)
Economic impact of febrile morbidity and use of permethrin-impregnated bed nets in a malarious area II. Determinants of febrile episodes and the cost of their treatment and malaria prevention. (5/209)The objective of this study is to determine the effect of permethrin insecticide-treated bed net (PITN) use on the incidence of febrile episodes and on household malaria expenses in Benin. Over the course of one year, 208 randomly selected PITN user and non-user households were visited weekly to determine expenditures on febrile morbidity and its treatment, and to monitor spending on malaria prevention. Multivariate analyses were performed to distinguish the effects of PITN use from other important determinants of morbidity, such as malaria-related beliefs and practices, income, and other socio-economic variables. Results from the logistic regression analysis show that the use of PITNs decreases the risk of febrile episodes by 34% in children living in the rural zone. Multiple regression analysis reveals that PITN use does not reduce prevention and treatment expenses. These expenses are significantly associated with women's income. This report also discusses other factors associated with febrile morbidity and malaria-related expenditures. (+info)
Estimation of the prevalence of epilepsy in the Benin region of Zinvie using the capture-recapture method. (6/209)BACKGROUND: The prevalence of epilepsy was estimated in two villages of 3134 inhabitants, in Benin, in April and May 1997 using the capture-recapture method. METHODS: Information was obtained from (i) a door-to-door cross-sectional study, (ii) a non-medical source consisting of key informants (traditional practitioners, teachers, village leaders, and religious representatives) and (iii) a medical source through evaluation of medical records in health centres. In all the three situations, the diagnosis of epilepsy was confirmed by a neurologist. RESULTS: The door-to-door survey found 50 epileptics, i.e. a prevalence of 15.9 per 1000. The non-medical source found 26 patients. The medical source found only four patients. In total, 66 epileptics were found by combining the three sources, giving a prevalence of 21.1 per 1000. After application of the capture-recapture method, the estimated number of cases from the door-to-door survey and non-medical source was 105, and 110 cases when the medical source was considered as well. The respective prevalences were 33.5 per 1000, and 35.1 per 1000. CONCLUSIONS: The door-to-door survey has been usefully improved by using key informants. The epilepsy prevalence estimate found by capture-recapture is clearly higher than that found by traditional cross-sectional methods, and could better depict the frequency of epilepsy in Africa. (+info)
Diagnostic performance of the Roche AMPLICOR PCR in detecting Neisseria gonorrhoeae in genitourinary specimens from female sex workers in Cotonou, Benin. (7/209)The objective of this study was to evaluate the diagnostic performance of the Roche multiplex AMPLICOR Chlamydia trachomatis/Neisseria gonorrhoeae PCR test for the detection of Neisseria gonorrhoeae infection in female urine specimens and wet and dry endocervical swabs. Endocervical swabs and urine specimens were collected from 342 female sex workers from Cotonou, Benin, and were tested using the AMPLICOR C. trachomatis/N. gonorrhoeae test (Roche Diagnostic Systems, Inc., Branchburg, N.J.) with internal control detection. Endocervical swabs were also cultured on Thayer-Martin medium. A series of alternate standards that included a combination of all the tests but not the test being evaluated was used to assess the performance of the test with each type of specimen. The sensitivity, specificity, and positive and negative predictive values for the urine were 53.8, 98.9, 93.5, and 87.5%, respectively. Corresponding figures for the wet swab were 91.5, 100, 100, and 97.4%, respectively. Those for the dry swab were 96.3, 96.2, 88.5, and 98.8%, respectively. Based on this study, the AMPLICOR PCR assay showed a low sensitivity for detection of N. gonorrhoeae infection in urine specimens, whereas the test was found to be highly sensitive and specific with endocervical specimens. (+info)
Improved iodine status is associated with improved mental performance of schoolchildren in Benin. (8/209)BACKGROUND: An adequate iodine supply in utero and shortly after birth is known to be crucial to an individual's physical and mental development. The question of whether iodine supplementation later in life can exert a favorable influence on the mental performance of iodine-deficient populations was addressed in various studies, but with contradictory results. OBJECTIVE: The aim of this study was to examine the effect of an improvement in iodine status on mental and psychomotor performance of schoolchildren (7-11 y) who were moderately to severely iodine deficient. DESIGN: The study, which was originally planned as a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled intervention, was carried out in an iodine-deficient population of schoolchildren (n = 196) in northern Benin. As the population began to have access to iodized salt during the 1-y intervention period, the study population was split post hoc-on the basis of urinary iodine concentrations-into a group with improved iodine status and a group with unchanged iodine status. Changes in mental and psychomotor performance over the intervention period were compared. RESULTS: Children with increased urinary iodine concentrations had a significantly greater increase in performance on the combination of mental tests than did the group with no change in urinary iodine concentrations. CONCLUSIONS: An improvement in iodine status, rather than iodine status itself, determined mental performance in this population, which was initially iodine deficient. These findings suggest a "catch-up" effect in terms of mental performance. (+info)
Cotonou - definition of Cotonou by The Free Dictionary
Define Cotonou. Cotonou synonyms, Cotonou pronunciation, Cotonou translation, English dictionary definition of Cotonou. A city of southern Benin on the Bight of Benin. The largest city in the country, it is a seaport and commercial center. American Heritage® Dictionary of the...
Orchestre Poly Rythmo De Cotonou - Juno Records
Buy Orchestre Poly Rythmo De Cotonou on vinyl & CD at Juno Records, the worlds largest dance music store. Orchestre Poly Rythmo De Cotonou
A Prospective Analysis of Potential and Observed Drug-Drug Interactions, Adverse Events and its Associated Risk Factors in...
Title:A Prospective Analysis of Potential and Observed Drug-Drug Interactions, Adverse Events and its Associated Risk Factors in Hospitalized Cardiology Patients in Benin. VOLUME: 15 ISSUE: 3. Author(s):Aurel C.E. Allabi*, Yessoufou Tchabi, Murielle Hounkponou, Rebecca Quenum and Jeanne Vehounkpe-Sacca. Affiliation:Pharmacology Department, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Abomey- Calavi, 01 BP 188Cotonou, Cardiology Department of Teaching Hospital CNHU-HKM, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Abomey- Calavi, 01 BP 188 Cotonou, Cardiology Department of Teaching Hospital CNHU-HKM, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Abomey- Calavi, 01 BP 188 Cotonou, Pharmacology Department, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Abomey- Calavi, 01 BP 188Cotonou, Cardiology Department of Teaching Hospital CNHU-HKM, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Abomey- Calavi, 01 BP 188 Cotonou. Keywords:Drug-drug interaction, adverse event, hospitalized, cardiology, Benin, West ...
Food Voila - Online Food Delivery Service In Cotonou, Benin Republic - Food Voila
The best online food delivery and catering service in Cotonou, Benin Republic. We bring the most delicious food to your doorstep in good time...
European museums to loan looted Benin bronzes to Nigeria? | Pambazuka News
https://www.college-de-france.fr/site/en-benedicte-savoy/inaugural-lecture-2017-03-30-18h00.htm. The official English text of the brilliant lecture in French by Professor Savoy at the Collège de France is not yet available but I found her ideas so encouraging that I decided to provide an English translation based on the French text and the simultaneous English interpretation for my readers. We will bring the English text to the attention of readers when available..  Exclusive: University-owned Benin collections may be loaned ... - Varsity. www.varsity.co.uk/news/12683 Exclusive: University-owned Benin collections may be loaned to .... www.nigeria70.com/nigerian...university_owned_benin_collecti. Exclusive: University-owned Benin collections may be loaned to .... www.dubnews.com/more.php?...University-owned+Benin+collec...  See Annex below..  K. Opoku, Benin Plan of Action for Restitution: Will this ensure the return of the looted Benin artefacts, ...
Decline in the prevalence of HIV and sexually transmitted infections among female sex workers in Benin over 15 years of...
BACKGROUND: An HIV-preventive intervention targeting the sex work milieu and involving fully integrated components of structural interventions, communication for behavioral change and care for sexually transmitted infections (STIs), was implemented in Benin by a Canadian project from 1992 to 2006. It first covered Cotonou before being extended to other main cities from 2000. At the project end, the Beninese authorities took over the intervention, but structural interventions were interrupted and other intervention components were implemented separately. We estimated time trends in HIV/STI prevalence among female sex workers (FSWs) from 1993 to 2008 and assessed the impact of the change in intervention model on trends. METHODS: Six integrated biological and behavioral surveys were carried out among FSWs. Time trend analysis controlled for potential sociodemographic confounders using log-binomial regression. RESULTS: In Cotonou, from 1993 to 2008, there was a significant decrease in HIV ...
africa science: Art and science in Benin bronzes
The story of Benin has been told several times but I found the short account by Sylvester Okwunodu Ogbechie very useful: In February 1897, an elite British force of about 1200 men (supported by several hundred African auxiliary troops and thousands of African porters) besieged Benin City, capital of the Edo Kingdom of Benin, whose ruler, the Oba Ovonramwen sat on a throne that was a thousand years old. The British Punitive Expedition used Maxim machine guns to mow down most of the Obas 130,000 soldiers and secure control of the capital city. They set fire to the city and looted the palace of 500 years worth of bronze objects that constituted the royal archive of Benins history, an irreplaceable national treasure. The king and his principal chiefs fled into the countryside, pursued by British forces who lay waste to the countryside as a strategy to force the people of Benin to give up their fugitive king. According to Richard Gott, for a further six months, a small British force harried the ...
AUGUST 2015: Forensic Science International: Genetics Publication of Genetic population study of Y-chromosome markers in Benin...
Genetic population study of Y-chromosome markers in Benin and Ivory Coast ethnic groups. Cesar Fortes-Lima, Nicolas Brucato, Myriam Croze, Gil Bellis, Stephanie Schiavinato, Achille Massougbodji, Florence Migot-Nabias, Jean-Michel Dugoujon. In August 2015, EUROTAST research network members Cesar Fortes-Lima and Jean-Michel Dugoujon published a genetic dataset from 288 men in Benin and Ivory Coast. Benin has a complex history and a high cultural diversity, including dozens of ethnolinguistic groups. For this research, Cesar Fortes-Lima focused on the Y-chromosome markers from five groups, the Bariba, Yoruba and Fon in Benin; the Ahizi and Yacouba in Ivory Coast. From this research they found regional homogeneity of male lineages, and surprising differences between two different groups of Yoruba. This differences may be due to the border between Benin and Nigeria, or possibly related to the historical expansion of the former Ile-Ife kingdom, from which all modern Yoruba communities claim to be the ...
Benin Head 11, Nigeria
Photographs © Hamill Gallery. BENIN, BRONZE KINGS HEAD 11, 5, $300, SOLD. Old Benin bronzes are very rare. Despite its appearance, this is a 20th C. piece and was made to be sold.. The extraordinary bronzes of the Benin kingdom in what is now Nigeria exhibit a virtuosity and sophistication of style that has astonished the Western world since they were visited in the 15th Century. Their work was brought to Europe following a punitive expedition by the British in 1897, causing a great sensation. The people of Benin, called Bini, are descended from the Ife, also known for their remarkable bronzes. Almost all Benin art was created to honor the king , or Oba, who has reigned, with his ancestors, from the 15th century. Styles have changed over the years. Although similar to many older works, these are all 20th C. pieces. Each is still sculpted by hand, then cast in bronze by the lost wax process. Heads that do not depict the king show members of his court or the Queen.. This head of a king is ...
Nigeria and Benin discuss border dispute - Durham University
17 August 2015). Authorities from Nigeria and Benin are taking advantage of Governor Atiku Bagudu of Kebbis visit to Benin to discuss resolving the border dispute between the two countries. The Governors visit follows a previous conversation between Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari and Beninois President Yayi Boni agreeing to move forward on the dispute.. The disputed territories include settlements in Bagudo Local Government of Kebbi in Nigeria and Maladil in Benin. As part of the visit, Bagudu promised to construct a road linking communities on both sides of the border.. Source:. Nigeria, Benin Republic begin talk on settlement of border dispute, 13 August 2015, Premium Times, http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/188304-nigeria-benin-republic-begin-talk-on-settlement-of-border-dispute.html ...
Donation to mother of triplet babies - Rotary Club of Benin
Rotary club of Benin identified with the financial problems of a mother of triplets babies.. Rotary club of Benin identified with the financial and emotional needs of a mother who gave birth to triplets. The club visited the family on the day of their discharge from the hospital in their modest home in Benin city and presented them with a cash sum of 50,000.00 naira. The father of the triplets who introduced us to his wife and the wifes mother who had come to assist with the caring for the triplets was very happy with our visit and kind gesture.Thereafter a group photograph was taken. The local TV station was in hand to record the humanitarian gesture by rotary club of Benin. Ourselves and the mother of triplets babies were interviewed. This incident was aired during the news hour of the TV station to the delight of rotary clubs in the district.. ...
Benin - Agoa.info - African Growth and Opportunity Act
The economy of Benin remains underdeveloped and dependent on subsistence agriculture, cotton production, and regional trade. Growth in real output had averaged almost 4% before the global recession and it has returned to roughly that level in 2011-12. Inflation has subsided over the past several years. In order to raise growth, Benin plans to attract more foreign investment, place more emphasis on tourism, facilitate the development of new food processing systems and agricultural products, and encourage new information and communication technology. Specific projects to improve the business climate by reforms to the land tenure system, the commercial justice system, and the financial sector were included in Benins $307 million Millennium Challenge Account grant signed in February 2006.. The 2001 privatization policy continues in telecommunications, water, electricity, and agriculture. The Paris Club and bilateral creditors have eased the external debt situation with Benin benefiting from a G-8 ...
Benin Medicines Buyers, Buying Leads, Medicines Importers - EC21
Benin Medicines Buyers ☆ Find 20 Benin medicines buying leads from 20 Benin medicines global buyers at EC21 ☆ Choose medicines global buyers, importers, wholesalers and distributors in Benin now - EC21
Outcome of Pregnancies Among Sickle Cell Patients Admitted to Cotonou University Hospitals (Benin) from 2008 to 2018 :: Science...
|i|Objective|/i|: Study the fetal-maternal and neonantal prognosis of sickle cell pregnancies managed in Cotonous hospitals (R. Benin). |i|Material and methods|/i|: This is a descriptive study on retrospective data from January 2008 to December 2018. The maternities of the Lagoon Mother and Child Hospital and University (CHU-MEL) center and of the CNHU/HKM gynecology and obstetrics university clinic had served as a framework. Complete patients records were analyzed. Included were pregnant women or delivered at 28 weeks of amenorrhea (AW) or beyond, sickle cell disease SS or SC confirmed by hemoglobin electrophoresis. Sociodemographic, clinical, therapeutic, and fetal-maternal and neonatal prognosis were analyzed. EPI DATA 3.1 and SPSS 2.0 software were used to analyze our data. The difference is significant for a p-value ≤ 5%. Ethical and professional standards and rules were respected. |i|Results|/i|: The delivery of a patient suffering from sickle cell disease represented 0.82% of births. The SS
Benin Now Said to Be Fastest Place to Start Business Online
Early in the COVID-19 pandemic, Benin set up a service to allow people to register their business online. The E-registration system has worked so well that this West African country is now the worlds fastest place to start a business, according to a U.N. agency. Moki Edwin Kindzeka narrates this report by Anne Nzouankeu in Cotonou, Benin.
Determination of the Optimal Waist Circumference Cut-Off Points in Benin Adults
Obesity is an independent risk factor for chronic diseases such as diabetes, cardiovascular diseases and certain cancers. Early detection of abdominal obesity followed by appropriate interventions will prevent associated diseases. The objective was to determine optimal waist circumference (WC) cut-off points predictive of at least one other component of metabolic syndrome in Benin adults. This longitudinal and observational study included at the baseline 541 apparently healthy subjects aged 25 - 60 years randomly selected in the largest city of Cotonou (n = 200), the smaller-size city of Ouidah (n = 171) and rural surroundings of Ouidah (n = 170) in Benin. Components of the metabolic syndrome considered along with abdominal obesity were high blood pressure, high fasting glycaemia, low HDL-cholesterol and high triglycerides as defined by the Joint Interim Statement. After the baseline survey, the subjects were followed-up for four years. Complete data at baseline and four years later were available in
FRESH! - World Vegetable Center
This week at the Plant and Animal Genome Conference in San Diego, California, USA Illumina awarded Dr. Roland Schafleitner and the International Mungbean Improvement Network (IMIN) the 12th annual Illumina Agricultural Greater Good Initiative Grant for generating genomic resources for mungbean breeding, which contributes to food and nutrition security. The grant makes it possible to test new mapping approaches as an alternative to genome-wide association studies (GWAS) to reveal the genetic basis of important traits. Additionally, the IMIN will build capacity to maximize the use of genetic sequencing information in its breeding programs, specifically to use biodiverse germplasm for breeding and tracking important genetic traits. The IMIN, funded by the Australian Center for International Agricultural Research and coordinated by the World Vegetable Center, seeks to unlock the potential of mungbean to improve system productivity and livelihoods. ...
Flights to Benin | Brussels Airlines
A small country in the Gulf of Guinea with a rich history, Benin has some forty ethnic groups living in perfect harmony. This diversity has gifted the country with a wide range of traditions, including the unique cult of Vodun. Boasting a vibrant intellectual and cultural life, Benin is often referred to as Africas Latin Quarter in the Francophone world.. Benin Tourism Website ...
Genetic Diversity of Maize Accessions (Zea mays L.) Cultivated from Benin Using Microsatellites Markers
Maize (Zea mays L.) is the major cereal cultivated in Benin and it is important to know its genetic diversity to improve the yield. The genetic markers of important traits are evaluated in order to improve the maize inbred lines. The aim of this study was to evaluate the genetic diversity of Benins maize accessions by SSR marker. Thus, one hundred eighty seven maize accessions from three areas (South, Center and North) were analyzed using three SSR markers. A total of 227 polymorphic bands were produced and showed high genetic diversity (Shannon index = 0.51). The polymorphic information content (PIC) values for the SSR loci ranged from 0.58 to 0.81, with an average of 0.71. Genetic distance-based UPGMA dendrogram showed a genetic differentiation between accessions and they were grouped into four clusters in each area. This work provides necessary information that can be used not only to improve the maize production and conservation but also to better manage genetic species resources in Benin ...
Lessons learned, challenges and outlooks for decision-making after a decade of experience monitoring the impact of indoor...
Since 2008, Indoor Residual Spraying (IRS) has been performed in Benin in 19 districts, including 4 in southern Benin, 9 in Atacora, and 8 in Atacora, Alibori and Donga in northern Benin. However, Benin still struggles with questions about IRS cost-benefit and epidemiological impact. Lessons learned and challenges from 10 years of IRS in Benin to be shared with the stakeholders involved in vector control implementation for decision-making. Entomological parameters have been assessed entomological parameters in IRS communes since 2008. In all IRS intervention communes, decreases in human biting rate (HBR) of Anopheles gambiae, blood feeding inhibition and entomological inoculation rate (EIR) as compared to control district have been measured. EIR was reduced by 80-90%, which is encouraging, but should be observed with caution because: (i) the reduction may be insufficient to decrease epidemiological indicators given that the residual EIR in IRS districts is still higher than it is in some regions of
Efficacy of highly bioavailable zinc from fortified water: a randomized controlled trial in rural Beninese children. | Sigma...
Sigma-Aldrich offers abstracts and full-text articles by [Valeria Galetti, Prosper Kujinga, Comlan Evariste S Mitchikpè, Christophe Zeder, Fabian Tay, Félicien Tossou, Joseph D Hounhouigan, Michael B Zimmermann, Diego Moretti].
URBAN WASTE MANAGEMNT AND UNDERGROUND WATER QUALITY IN COTONOU TOWN IN REPUBLIC OF BENIN
The tidal pond framework toward the North. The littoral outskirt in the South. ... 6-Sites close to the tidal pond (inside of 1 km) 7-Sites with effect from the sea (inside of 1 km) ...
Follow-up and tracing of tuberculosis patients who fail to attend their scheduled appointments in Cotonou, Benin: a...
Determined the contribution of tracing activities for those who missed scheduled appointments towards a successful treatment outcome
Male circumcision and HIV infection in four cities in sub-Saharan Africa
OBJECTIVES: To explore the role of male circumcision in the spread of HIV infection in four urban populations in sub-Saharan Africa. DESIGN AND METHODS: A cross-sectional population based study was conducted in four cities in sub-Saharan Africa with different levels of HIV infection. HIV prevalence among adults was relatively low in Cotonou (Benin) and in Yaoundé (Cameroon), and exceeded 25% in Kisumu (Kenya) and in Ndola (Zambia). In each city, a random sample was taken of men and women aged 15-49 years from the general population. Consenting study participants were interviewed about their sociodemographic characteristics and their sexual behaviour, and were tested for HIV, herpes simplex virus type 2, syphilis, gonorrhoea and chlamydial infection. Men underwent a genital examination. RESULTS: In Cotonou and in Yaoundé, the two low HIV prevalence cities, 99% of men were circumcised. In Kisumu 27.5% of men were circumcised, and in Ndola this proportion was 9%. In Kisumu, the prevalence of HIV ...
Bibliographie des Enseignants et Chercheurs de lUAC
Herbal teas are openly sold in markets and main streets of big cities like Cotonou in Benin. Most people treat themselves at low cost with wide variety of herbal plants with proven therapeutic properties. The purpose of this research was to evaluate the content of heavy metals in herbal teas sold daily in Cotonou. In addition, we would evaluate if this heavy metal content of herbal teas could affect the renal function of regular consumers. Therefore, herbal teas samples were collected from selected sellers at well-known places. Samples analyses were done by reverse anodic stripping voltammetry with the Metalyser HM 3000 coupled to PC 101 NT pump. Biological markers of kidney failure in blood and urine of regular consumers were also assessed. Renal creatinine clearance and albuminuria were measured, the ratio of micro-albuminuria/creatininuria was calculated, and then red and white blood cells were counted. The results indicate that 7.69 and 30.77% of the herbal teas samples displayed an ...
Nutrition country profiles: Benin summary
Benin. SUMMARY. The diet of Benin is based on starchy roots (cassava, yams) and cereals. Large variations are observed between the north and the south of the country. In the south, the diet is mostly based on maize and fish, while in the north, traditional cereals (millet in particular) still have an important role and meat/milk products are more available. Rice is becoming increasingly important in urban areas, but also in rural areas. The per capita supply of starchy roots is very high; its share in the dietary energy supply has decreased slightly over the last four decades to the advantage of cereals. The country is relatively self-sufficient in cereals (with the notable exception of rice) and starchy roots, but it is heavily dependant on imports of foods of animal origin for which the per capita supply remains very limited. The dietary energy supply is higher than the population requirements. The prevalence of undernourishment is declining at about 10%, corresponding to the average of West ...
BADEA extends FOUR loans totaling US $ 26.1 million with Burkina Faso, Benin, Cote DIvoire and Chad - Benin | ReliefWeb
English News and Press Release on Benin and 3 other countries about Agriculture, Education and more; published on 23 Jan 2012 by BADEA
Archive ouverte HAL - Do free caesarean section policies increase inequalities in Benin and Mali?
Background: Benin and Mali introduced user fee exemption policies focused on caesarean sections (C-sections) in 2005 and 2009, respectively. These policies had a positive impact on access to C-sections and facility based deliveries among all women, but the impact on socioeconomic inequality is still highly uncertain. The objective of this study was to observe whether there was an increase or a decrease in urban/rural and socioeconomic inequalities in access to C-sections and facility based deliveries after the free C-section policy was introduced. Methods: We used data from three consecutive Demographic and Health Surveys (DHS): 2001, 2006 and 2011-2012 in Benin and 2001, 2006 and 2012-13 in Mali. We evaluated trends in inequality in terms of two outcomes: C-sections and facility based deliveries. Adjusted odds ratios were used to estimate whether the distributions of C-sections and facility based deliveries favoured the least advantaged categories (rural, non-educated and poorest women) or the
Benin - Immunization, DPT (% Of Children Ages 12-23 Months) - 1985-2018 Data | 2020 Forecast
Immunization, DPT (% of children ages 12-23 months) in Benin was reported at 76 % in 2018, according to the World Bank collection of development indicators, compiled from officially recognized sources. Benin - Immunization, DPT (% of children ages 12-23 months) - actual values, historical data, forecasts and projections were sourced from the |a href=https://data.worldbank.org/ target=blank>World Bank|/a> on August of 2020.
Political Use of Internet During the Benin 2011 Presidential Campaign: Fad Effect or Mid-Term Strategy?: Social Sciences &...
Political Use of Internet During the Benin 2011 Presidential Campaign: Fad Effect or Mid-Term Strategy?: 10.4018/978-1-4666-4197-6.ch018: During the Benin presidential election of March 2011, a new communication tool (Internet) was added to the traditional tools of electoral campaign: meetings
British Museum to return Benin bronzes to Nigeria - CNN
More than a century after British soldiers looted a collection of priceless artifacts from the Kingdom of Benin, some of the Benin bronzes are heading back to Nigeria - with strings attached.
The one lasting remembrance of Benin in my mind is its smells. Crucifixions, human sacrifices, and every horror the eye could get accustomed to, to a large extent, but the smells no white mans internal economy could stand. …. Blood was everywhere; smeared over bronzes, ivory, and even the walls, and spoke the history of that awful city in a clearer way than writing ever could. And this had been going on for centuries! Not the lust of one king, not the climax of a bloody reign, but the religion (save the word!) of the race …. the atrocities of Benin, originating in blood lust and desire to terrorise the neighbouring states, the brutal love of mutilation and torture, and the wholesale manner in which the caprices of the King and Juju were satisfied, could only have been the result of stagnant brutality …. [I saw] a crucifixion tree with a double crucifixion on it, the two poor wretches stretched out facing the west, with their arms bound together in the middle. The construction of this tree ...
Fossil fuel energy consumption (% of total) in Benin
Fossil fuel energy consumption (% of total) in Benin was last measured at 41.71 in 2011, according to the World Bank. Fossil fuel comprises coal, oil, petroleum, and natural gas products.This page has the latest values, historical data, forecasts, charts, statistics, an economic calendar and news for Fossil fuel energy consumption (% of total) in Benin.
Benin PM survives helicopter crash - Nehanda Radio
The helicopter crashed while landing at a stadium in the city of Djougou, a spokesman for Benins interior ministry Leonce Houngbadji told the AFP news agency.. He said no-one in the helicopter was hurt.. Mr Zinsou, a former private-equity executive, was appointed prime minister of Benin in June.. ...
Oba of Benin to build satellite town with 24-hour power supply - Punch Newspapers
Alexander Okere, Benin As part of efforts to promote economic development in Edo State, the Oba of Benin, Oba Ewuare II, has proposed a satellite ...
Nigeria: EFCC Arraigns 29 Beninese Over Alleged Oil Bunkering - allAfrica.com
Justice Hadiza Rabiu-Shagari of the Federal High Court in Lagos on Tuesday remanded 29 citizens of Benin Republic in prison custody for allegedly dealing in petroleum products in Nigeria, without licence.
Effect of breed and Diacylglycerol acyltransferase 1 gene polymorphism on milk production traits in Beninese White Fulani and...
Diacylglycerol acyltransferase 1 (DGAT1) is a potential candidate gene with a non-conservative substitution of lysine by alanine (K232A) in exon 8 having a major effect on milk production traits in cattle. The aim of this study was to analyze the allele and genotype frequency, and investigate the association of the DGAT1 K232A polymorphism with milk production traits in indigenous White Fulani and Borgou cattle breeds in Benin. In total, 103 White Fulani and 103 Borgou were genotyped by Polymerase Chain Reaction-Restriction Fragment Length Polymorphisms and validated by Sanger sequencing. The genotypic frequencies of KK, KA and AA in White Fulani and Borgou breeds were 0.83, 0.16, 0.01 and 0.57, 0.39, 0.04 respectively. Frequencies of K and A alleles were 0.91 and 0.09, and 0.77 and 0.23 in White Fulani and Borgou breeds respectively. The White Fulani cows showed higher daily milk yield (P, 0.01), lactose content (P,0.001), protein yield (P, 0.01) and fat yield (P, 0.01) compared to Borgou. The ...
Developing: Yoruba Activist, Sunday Ighoho regains partial freedom in Cotonou | The Conclave NG The Best Online Newspaper
We urge supporters from Nigeria not to bother coming to the court premises in Bénin. Kindly stay in Nigeria and support with prayers and whatever you can do within the ambit of the law. We are confident that Chief Igboho shall be set free ...
Study of Post-Training Supports for Health Workers in Benin - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov
Integrated Management of Childhood Illness (IMCI) is a child health strategy in developing countries with a goal of improving the treatment of illnesses at first-level health facilities through the use of clinical practice guidelines. The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends implementing the guidelines with an 11-day training course. There is a concern that health workers might not master all aspects of the guidelines and that health worker performance may deteriorate over time. In 1999, Benin (in West Africa) was planning to implement IMCI. In response to concerns about how well health workers would follow IMCI guidelines, interventions were designed to support health workers after IMCI training: 1) regular supervision of health workers; 2) supervision of supervisors; 3) job aids; and 4) non-financial incentives for health workers. These interventions were intended to be used together. The objective of this study was to determine the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of the package of ...
Nigeria / Africa / Member countries / Internet / Home - INTERPOL
COTONOU, Benin - A further 44 law enforcement officers from eight countries - Benin, Burkina Faso, Cote dIvoire, Ghana, Mali, Niger, Nigeria and Togo - have undergone training as part of the INTERPOL Capacity Building Project to Foster Stability in West Africa.The two-week (23 May - 3 June) course was the second in a series of training courses aimed at e ...
Characterization of traditional maize populations cultivated in Benin | International Journal of Biological and Chemical...
Traditional maize populations widely grown in southern Benin were evaluated in that zone for agronomic traits in order to improve them if necessary. A randomized complete block design with four repetitions was used. Significant differences among populations were observed for earliness, plant and ear heights, number of ears per plant and number of grains per ear. One population (PTMB4) was susceptible to rust. All populations except one (PTMB8) showed good husk cover. The populations gave relatively low grain yields (less than 4 t/ha) and were not significantly different for that trait. All the populations should be improved for grain yield. In addition, the populations PTMB4 and PTMB8 must be improved respectively for rust resistance and husk cover ...
TAAT Excites Beninese Farmers with Pro Vitamin A Cassava Varieties - allAfrica.com
A staple to about 350 million people in sub Saharan Africa, cassava, had been declared in 2003 by African Heads of State as a poverty fighter. However, the crop is yet to prove its mettle as millions of growers in sub Saharan Africa who depend on the crop for their livelihoods still live below the poverty line.
BENCHMARK Natitingou Benin West Africa
This is a marker to let the world know where I am at presently. I am unable to blog well here in Natitingou Benin West Africa so I am just saying, I am great. I will add many post in between, I think I have 100 plus pages ...
Benin - Visas and Vaccinations
All visitors to Benin require a visa, except those who come from the Economic Community of West African States. Travelers are required to have a va...
Africa, Benin, Ganvie. View over the channel with stilt
Prints of Africa, Benin, Ganvie. View over the channel with stilt houses and canoes ♥ Framed Photos, Premium Framing, Photographic Prints, Jigsaw Puzzles, Poster Prints, Canvas Prints, Fine Art Prints, Mounted Photos, Metal Prints, Cards
Nigeria/Benin job scams (recruitment agencies/immigration scams)
Many visitors to Scam-O-Matic website use it to verify job offers about which they have suspicions. In many cases the fraudulent job offers clear bear the handwriting of the same criminals, even though offers range from oil industry jobs to hospitals and banks and the offers are for Nigeria, Benin and even the UK. These diverse employment offers match in many minor details, as criminals work from the same basic formats. Many of the jobs advertised were in the oil industry, because this happens to be Nigerias biggest industry, so many scammers are familiar with it. The objective of such job offers is to trick job seekers into paying advance fees (supposedly for immigration/work visas, air fares and other expenses). These usually amount to more than a thousand dollars and are demanded to be paid by Western Union wire transfer. Many job offers from companies and individuals claiming to be based in the UK list +4470 UK phone numbers. If you see such numbers mentioned in an offer (or any email for ...
Africa in the news: Sudan, Benin, Nigeria, and Sahel updates
Sudan protests and disagreement over transition continue, Benin holds elections with no opposition candidates, and Germany and the UK pledge an increase in aid to fight terrorism in the Sahel and Nigeria, in this week
AllRefer.com - Benin: People (**benin-adj** People) : Population, Sex Ration, Nationality, Religions, Languages, and Ethnic...
AllRefer.com reference and encyclopedia resource provides complete information on Benin with respect to People, Population, Age structure, Median Age, Population growth rate, Birth rate, Death rate, Net migration rate, Sex ratio, Infant mortality rate, Life expectancy at birth, Total fertility rate, HIV/AIDS - adult prevalence rate, HIV/AIDS - people living with HIV/AIDS, HIV/AIDS - deaths, Nationality, Ethnic groups, Religions, Languages, Literacy. Includes related research links.
ASSESSMENT OF AUDIT COMMITTEE QUALITY, AUDITOR INDEPENDENCE AND INTERNAL CONTROL WEAKNESS IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF BENIN...
ASSESSMENT OF AUDIT COMMITTEE QUALITY, AUDITOR INDEPENDENCE AND INTERNAL CONTROL WEAKNESS IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF BENIN ELECTRICITY DISTRIBUTION COMPANY), Largest Undergraduate Projects Repository, Research Works and Materials. Download Undergraduate Projects Topics and Materials Accounting, Economics, Education
Nigeria, Benin reach final of Zonal Handball Championship
Nigeria and Benin booked their places at the final of both the men and womens categories of the ongoing African Handball Confederation (CAHB) Zone 3 U-20 Championship currently underway at the Accra Sports Stadium, Ghana.
Benin. The 2016-2017 field service of the Africa Mercy took place in Cotonou, Benin where the hospital ship docked from ... The ship will sail in August for the port of Cotonou, Benin, where its field service will last from August 2016 to the summer ... In 2009, the ship was docked in Cotonou, Benin from February to December, providing free surgeries and medical care. Mercy ... Ships also worked with Beninese citizens on agriculture and water development projects on the ground in Benin. Before the ...
Benin. Palm is native to the wetlands of western Africa, and south Benin already hosts many palm plantations. Its ' ... African Biodiversity Network (2007). Agrofuels in Africa: the impacts on land, food and forests: case studies from Benin, ... "Benin: Large scale oil palm plantations for agrofuel". World Rainforest Movement. Archived from the original on 8 August 2014. ...
Kualifikasi Piala Dunia FIFA 2002 - Babak Pertama Zona Afrika bahasa Indonesia, ensiklopedia bebas
Wasit: Thomas Boko (Benin). AW 1: Amedee Houndeton (Benin). AW 2: Frederic Amouh (Benin). Wasit ke-4: Benoit S. G. Toupe (Benin ... Wasit: Coffi Codjia (Benin). AW 1: Amedee Houndeton (Benin). AW 2: Frederic Amouh (Benin). Wasit ke-4: Benoit S. G. Toupe ( ... Benin 1-1. (HT: 1-1). Senegal. Jonas Oketola 33'. Philippe Teno 63'. Moudachiou Amadou 85'. (Laporan). Moussa Ndiaye 15' 61'. ... Benin. Cheikh Ba 63'. Khalilou Fadiga 69'. (Laporan). Moufoutaou Lamidi 26'. Jonas Oketola 29'. Jean Abbey 54'. Iziack Phillipe ...
List of national identity card policies by country
"Benin". Identity-Cards.net. 14 August 2016. Decreto 89.250, de 27 de dezembro de 1983: Regulamenta a Lei № 7.116, de 29 de ...
List of Lutheran denominations
"Benin". The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. Retrieved March 29, 2018. "Burundi". The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. Retrieved ...
"Census of Benin, 2013". Institut National de la Statistique et de l'Analyse Economique (INSAE) du Benin. 2013. Retrieved 25 ... "Socio economic data of Benin, 2013". Institut National de la Statistique et de l'Analyse Economique (INSAE) du Benin. 2013. ... According to Benin's 2013 census, the total population of the department was 1,100,404, with 534,814 males and 565,590 females ... Benin originally had six administrative regions (départements), which have now been bifurcated to make 12. Each of the ...
Library of Congress Classification:Class D -- History, General and Old World
Sahel 541-541.9..............Benin. Dahomey 541.42-541.45.........Ethnography 541.5-541.845.........History 541.9 ...
"Benin". World Gazetteer. Retrieved 19 December 2008. "The Voodoo Day: Benin welcomes magicians from all over the world". Pravda ... national "Benin History Timeline", One World Nations Online. Ouidah Museum, Benin - "Depart pour D'Autres 'Ceux', Convoi De ... Heads of State of Benin Heads of Government of Benin Whydah Gally "World Gazetteer". Archived from the original on 11 January ... WorldStatesmen- Benin not quite worked in yet La ville d'Ouidah : quartiers anciens et Route de l'Esclave - UNESCO World ...
Benin; Bosnia-Herzegovina; Bulgaria; Cambodia; China; Croatia; Congo; Cuba; Czechia; East Germany; Eritrea; Estonia; Ethiopia; ...
List of communities using the Tridentine Mass
Benin , Nigeria , Italy , United Kingdom , Poland , Portugal) Contemplative Sisters of the Immaculate (Houses in: Imperia and ... Benin , Brazil , Cameroon , France , Italy , Nigeria , Philippines , Portugal , United States) Fraternitas Beatissimae Virginis ...
Benin, and cofounders of the Borgu kingdom of what is now northeast Benin and west-central Nigeria. In Nigeria, they are found ... The colonization of Benin (then Dahomey) by the French at the end of the 19th century, and the imposition of an Anglo-French ... The Bariba language is spoken mostly in Borgou, Alibori and part of Atacora in northern Benin. The Bariba language was once ... There are perhaps a million Bariba, 70% of them in Benin, where they are the fourth largest ethnic group and comprise ...
... is native to primarily tropical, northeast, western, west-central, and southern Africa (in Angola; Benin; ...
Africa: Algeria; Benin; Botswana; Burkina Faso; Central African Republic; Côte d'Ivoire; Democratic Republic of the Congo; ...
List of contemporary ethnic groups
Benin. The World Factbook. Central Intelligence Agency. Beninese population only. Figure taken using the percentages listed ...
"Census of Benin, 2013". Institut National de la Statistique et de l'Analyse Economique (INSAE) du Benin. 2013. Retrieved 25 ... "Socio economic data of Benin, 2013". Institut National de la Statistique et de l'Analyse Economique (INSAE) du Benin. 2013. ... Mono is one of the twelve departments of Benin, with its capital at Lokossa. It is named for the Mono River which forms much of ... Lake Ahémé, Benin's second largest lake, lies on the border with the Atlantique Department; smaller lakes in the department ...
They are especially found in towns such as Nikki and Kandi that were once Bariba kingdoms and in Parakou in mid-eastern Benin. ... The name is a generic term for the Betammaribe and related peoples, who make up about 8% of Benin's population. Their language ... However, there is also a significant population of Somba in northwest Benin in the Atacora region in cities such as Natitingou ... The Somba people, also called Ditamari, are an African ethnic group found primarily in northwestern Benin and northern Togo. ...
... , also known as Igbo Idaasha or simply Dassa, is a city in central Benin, on the Cotonou-to-Parakou railway and the ... Jama'at Islamique Ahmadiyya Benin built its central mosque (Mosquée Moubarqiue) here in 2010, which has a tall 18-meter minaret ... Jama'at Islamique Ahmadiyya Benin also built a French/English bilingual primary school here, called Ecole Primaire Publique ... "Benin". Geohive. Archived from the original on 2017-02-01. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) http://www.ahmadiyyabenin. ...
... is a species of paper wasp from Senegal; Guinea-Bissau; Ivory Coast; Benin; Nigeria; Zaire; Sudan; Somalia ...
List of ships built by Harland and Wolff (1859-1929)
SS Benin, cargo ship for African Steamship Co, launched 7 June 1884, completed 24 July 1884. SS Lord Lansdowne, cargo ship for ... "Benin". The Yard. Retrieved 19 February 2017. "Lord Lansdowne". The Yard. Retrieved 19 February 2017. "Nurjahan". The Yard. ...
History of United States diplomatic relations by country
"Benin". U.S. Department of State. Retrieved May 7, 2011. "Robert Borden Reams". U.S. Department of State. Retrieved May 7, 2011 ... Benin was known as Dahomey until 1975. Bhutan Consulate: - Recognition: - Diplomatic relations: - First ambassador: - Relations ... Benin Consulate: Recognized: 1960 Relations established: 1960 Legation/embassy established: 1961 First ambassador: R. Borden ...
... from the Benin river, was landed, organized, equipped and provided with transport. Five days later the city of Benin was taken ... 1911). "Benin". Encyclopædia Britannica. 3 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 739. "No. 27409". The London Gazette. 21 ... He is chiefly remembered for overseeing the Benin Expedition of 1897, a British punitive expedition against the Kingdom of ... "Museum Insights / The Raid on Benin, 1897". africa.si.edu. Retrieved 27 January 2021. Burke's Landed Gentry, eighteenth edition ...
... du Benin. 2013. Retrieved 25 November 2016. "Languages of Benin". Ethnologue. Retrieved 26 November 2019. Republic of Benin, ... Atlantique is one of the twelve departments in Benin. The department is located in south-central Benin along the Atlantic coast ... "Socio economic data of Benin, 2013". Institut National de la Statistique et de l'Analyse Economique (INSAE) du Benin. 2013. ... According to Benin's 2013 census, the total population of the department was 1,398,229, with 686,747 males and 711,482 females ...
The Zou is a river of south-western Benin. It drains into the Ouémé River. The river banks are inhabited in parts by the Mahi ... Butler, Stuart (2006). Benin. Bradt Travel Guides, The Globe Pequot Press, Guilford, Connecticut. p. 3. v t e. ...
"Census of Benin, 2013". Institut National de la Statistique et de l'Analyse Economique (INSAE) du Benin. 2013. Retrieved 25 ... "Benin". Geohive. Archived from the original on 2017-02-01. Retrieved 25 November 2016. Benin Mineral & Mining Sector Investment ... "Socio economic data of Benin, 2013". Institut National de la Statistique et de l'Analyse Economique (INSAE) du Benin. 2013. ... According to Benin's 2013 census, the total population of the department was 622,372, with 300,065 males and 322,307 females. ...
Elections by country
Benin. The World Factbook. Central Intelligence Agency. Bermuda. The World Factbook. Central Intelligence Agency. Bhutan. The ...
"EXTENDING FROM BENIN TO NIGER". Railways Africa. Retrieved October 17, 2010. Matthews 1966, p. 139 "Benin - S. Mounié - ... Protestant Methodist Church in Benin (World Methodist Council), Baptist Church of Benin (Baptist World Alliance), Living Faith ... "Benin: largest cities and towns and statistics of their population". World Gazeteer. Archived from the original on May 22, 2011 ... Parakou is one of the 77 official communes of Benin. The mayor of the commune and city as of 2008 is Samou Seidou Adambi.[ ...
Benin; Ghana; Côte d'Ivoire; Liberia; Guinea; Sierra Leone; Senegal; Guinea-Bissau The plant grows in a variety of habitats, ...
Timeline of Cotonou
1997). "Benin". World Encyclopedia of Contemporary Theatre. 3: Africa. Routledge. p. 57+. ISBN 978-1-136-35949-1. "Benin: ... "Benin Profile: Timeline". BBC News. Retrieved 30 September 2014. "Benin". Britannica Book of the Year 2014. Encyclopædia ... "Cotonou". Benin. Le Petit Futé (in French). 2011. "(Cotonou)". Directory of Open Access Journals. UK. (Bibliography of open ... Karen Fung (ed.). "Benin: News". Africa South of the Sahara: Selected Internet Resources. US: Stanford University. Retrieved 30 ...
These are the countries from which the crested porcupine is known: Algeria; Benin; Burkina Faso; Burundi; Cameroon; Central ...
Foreign relations of Serbia
"Benin". www.mfa.gov.rs. "Botswana". www.mfa.gov.rs. "Burkina Faso". www.mfa.gov.rs. "Burundi". www.mfa.gov.rs. "Cameroon". www. ...
Benin Travel Advisory
Benin - Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution. O K E N H U T C ... If you decide to travel to Benin:. *See the U.S. Embassys web ... Exercise increased caution in Benin due to COVID-19.. Read the Department of States COVID-19 page before you plan any ... Review the Crime and Safety Report for Benin.. *U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for ... Other improved conditions have been reported in Benin.. Visit the Embassys COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in ...
CDC Global Health - Benin
What CDC is Doing in Benin. Malaria Endemic in Benin, malaria is the leading cause of mortality among children under 5, and the ... Benin has shown significant improvements in several key malaria indicators, such as net ownership and usage and uptake of IPTp. ... The collaboration broadened in 2006 when Benin was selected to be a U.S. Presidents Malaria Initiative focus country. An in- ... The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) began collaborating with the government of Benin in 1999 on a subnational ...
Abomey | Benin | Britannica.com
... southern Benin. It is located about 60 miles (100 km) north of Cotonou. Probably founded in the early 17th century, it soon ... AbomeyAbomey, Benin.. Dominik Schwarz. Probably founded in the early 17th century, it soon became the capital of the kingdom of ... Benin: Relief. …vast swampy area stretching from Abomey to Allada. The landscape is generally flat, although occasional hills ... city and capital of Benin. It lies on the Gulf of Guinea in western Africa. It is located on a coastal lagoon at the extreme ...
Diving in Benin | PADI
Benin | World Food Programme
Operations in Benin. *. Benin Country Strategic Plan (2019 - 2023). BJ02 - Country Strategic Plan (CSP) ... What the World Food Programme is doing in Benin. *. School meals During the 2019/2020 school year, WFP will provide around ... The Republic of Benin is a low-income, food-deficit country with an estimated population of 11.2 million, who are predominantly ... Food insecurity in Benin remains serious: a comprehensive food security and vulnerability analysis carried out in 2017 showed ...
IRIN | Benin
Benin: Health System Performance Project
Benin - Market Overview | export.gov
Benin - Market OverviewBenin - Market Overview. Discusses key economic indicators and trade statistics, which countries are ... Benin is a stable democracy with a small domestic market. The countrys economy is heavily dependent on trade ties to its ... Benin leverages its port as a platform to reach over 100 million consumers in neighboring landlocked countries such as Burkina ... In 2017, Benin imported about $2.8 billion in goods such as rice, meat and poultry, alcoholic beverages, fuel plastic materials ...
Nutrition country profiles: Benin summary
Abomey travel | Benin - Lonely Planet
Ghana Benin Nigeria 2019. Day 1, 22nd June will be arrival, depart to your hotel in an air conditioned minivan, Day 2, 23 June ... IN THE HEART OF THE MOJOS (TOGO & BENIN). Day 1 : IN THE GULF OF GUINEA Upon arrival at the Airport, you will be assisted with ... Day 8 : BENIN , ROYAL PALACE In Abomey, visit of the Royal Palace of Abomey which walls are decorated with the symbols ... Day 11 AT THE HEART OF THE VOODOO LANDS! All along the Coasts of Togo and Benin, voodoo is a religion that has been passed on ...
Benin | Freedom House
Benin is free from war and insurgencies. Prison conditions are often harsh, and prisoners face overcrowding, lack of access to ... Benin remains among the most stable democracies in sub-Saharan Africa, having witnessed multiple free and fair elections and ... Talon, Benins richest businessman, ran as an independent, supported by the business sector and a number of small political ... Benin has historically been divided between northern and southern ethnic groups, but presidential candidates from both the ...
Diocese - Nigeria - Benin
Benin | Freedom House
Benin had been among the most stable democracies in sub-Saharan Africa, but President Patrice Talon began using the justice ... Freedom in the World - Benin Country Report. Benins status declined from Free to Partly Free in the Freedom in the World ... Benin had been among the most stable democracies in sub-Saharan Africa, but President Patrice Talon began using the justice ...
Category:Culture of Benin - Wikimedia Commons
Benin. · Botswana. · Burkina Faso. · Burundi. · Cameroon. · Cape Verde. · Central African Republic. · Chad. · Comoros. · ... Group OSHALA from Benin in Saint Petersburg 13.6.2015 01.JPG 3,065 × 1,304; 4.16 MB. ... Group OSHALA from Benin in Saint Petersburg 13.6.2015 02.JPG 2,189 × 1,826; 3.78 MB. ... OSHALA from Benin in Saint Petersburg 13.6.2015 01.JPG 1,790 × 2,235; 3.57 MB. ...
Category:Politics of Benin - Wikimedia Commons
Ìṣèlú ilẹ̀ Benin (yo); Πολιτική του Μπενίν (el); política do Benim (pt); politics of Benin (en); سياسة بنين (ar); 貝南政府 (zh); ... Beninin politiikka (fi) political system of Benin (en); système politique béninois (fr) Politics of Benin (yo) ... Media in category "Politics of Benin". The following 16 files are in this category, out of 16 total. ... 140212 M Benin bij Ploumen en Timmermans 1536 (12772597065).jpg 4,272 × 4,272; 14.7 MB. ...
Weather Nikki | Benin | WeatherOnline
BBC News | ARTS | Benin bronzes sold to Nigeria
The British Museum has sold several Benin bronzes to their homeland Nigeria, which is campaigning to have the full set returned ... The bronze plaques were seized by the British in 1897 when they took over the kingdom of Benin, now south-west Nigeria. Most of ... The fate of the plaques sent to Nigeria are in doubt as little of the collection of Benin bronzes is currently on display. ... The British Museum has sold off more than 30 controversial Benin bronzes for as little as 75 each since 1950, it has emerged. ...
Niger, Benin and Togo recognize Libyan rebels | Reuters
Benin, Niger and Togo have all formally recognized Libyas rebels, breaking ranks with the African Union which said on Friday ... NIAMEY (Reuters) - Benin, Niger and Togo have all formally recognized Libyas rebels, breaking ranks with the African Union ... A day after Benin recognized the rebels, Togo on Saturday said they would work with them. ...
Benin | CMS
Benin | Raptors
Gogonou, Alibori, Benin Air Quality Index | AccuWeather
Benin - Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs
Political relations Relations between France and Benin, a priority country for French official development assistance (ODA), ... Benin - Q&A - Excerpts from the daily press briefing (07.05.19) Q - The government of Benin reportedly ordered equipment in ... actors and cultural organizations in Benin. The Institut Français in Benin plays a leading role in this field, promoting both ... Benin was the first country to make an official request for the return of cultural heritage, which President Macron decided to ...
Benin Geography Stats: NationMaster.com
Benin bronzes: Will Britain return Nigeria's stolen treasures? - CNN
The Benin bronzes are universally recognized as a towering achievement in the history of art, they were stolen from Nigeria by ... returned to the Benin kingdom by a British pensioner during a ceremony in Benin City, Nigeria, on June 20, 2014. ... Benin bronzes: Will Britain return Nigerias stolen treasures? By Kieron Monks, for CNN ... The Benin bronzes are universally recognized as a towering achievement in the history of art. ...
Benin - CDC Global School-based Student Health Survey (GSHS)
British Museum to return Benin bronzes to Nigeria - CNN
... some of the Benin bronzes are heading back to Nigeria - with strings attached. ... More than a century after British soldiers looted a collection of priceless artifacts from the Kingdom of Benin, ... was how partners can work together to establish a museum in Benin City with a rotation of Benin works of art from a consortium ... Benin bronzes on display at the British Museum in London. The museum holds one of the worlds largest collection of bronzes ...
Benin Travel Guide
Benin is actually a country with many faces. While magic poti... ... Benin has much more than Voodoo mystique and is in fact, a top ... Benins most popular sites are largely related to its tumultuous history. From the Slave Route which takes visitors on the very ... Accommodations in Benin are plentiful and on par with international standards. The country has everything from budget hostels ... While magic potions and ancient rituals are an important part of Benins culture, there are many other facets that so readily ...
Benin | Plan International
The partnership helping protect children in Benin Djofin Assou Gilbert, of our partner organisation ReSPESD in Benin, explains ... In Benin, there is a high mortality rate for children under 5 due to preventable diseases. In addition, adolescents and young ... Plan International Benin is working alongside local partners and Voodoo priests to help children who have been confined in ... Plan International Benin works alongside youth-led organisations, partners and communities to ensure vulnerable children, ...
Africa :: Benin - The World Factbook - Central Intelligence Agency
Benin Renaissance or RB [Lehady SOGLO]. Cowrie Force for an Emerging Benin or FCBE [Yayi BONI]. Democratic Renewal Party or PRD ... former: Dahomey, Peoples Republic of Benin etymology: named for the Bight of Benin, the body of water on which the country ... talks continue between Benin and Togo on funding the Adjrala hydroelectric dam on the Mona River; Benin retains a border ... As part of the Government of Benins action plan to spur growth, Benin passed public private partnership legislation in 2017 to ...
Africa :: Benin - The World Factbook - Central Intelligence Agency
Benin Armed Forces (Forces Armees Beninoises, FAB): Army (lArme de Terre), Benin Navy (Forces Navales Beninois, FNB), Benin ... Benin Renaissance or RB [Lehady SOGLO]. Cowrie Force for an Emerging Benin or FCBE [Yayi BONI]. Democratic Renewal Party or PRD ... former: Dahomey, Peoples Republic of Benin etymology: named for the Bight of Benin, the body of water on which the country ... talks continue between Benin and Togo on funding the Adjrala hydroelectric dam on the Mona River; Benin retains a border ...
AfricaCotonou20192017Burkina Faso2018OuidahBronzesBenineseBight of Be2016Benin'sCountryAbomeyTogo and BeninNigeria and BeninCountry'sUniversity of Benin Teaching HospiCityNigeria'sNewsDialogue GroupPopulationCountries19821999EndemicDahomeyTravelersRepublicNigerVoodooErediauwaFrameworkTravelerGovernmentPeopleCashewFrance'sCongoTravellersExportsElections1897StatePresidentialImportsPageSpokesmanSupportGhanaConservation
- Benin remains among the most stable democracies in sub-Saharan Africa, having witnessed multiple free and fair elections and peaceful transfers of power since its transition to democracy in 1991. (freedomhouse.org)
- Benin had been among the most stable democracies in sub-Saharan Africa, but President Patrice Talon began using the justice system to attack his political opponents after taking office in 2016, and new electoral rules effectively excluded all opposition parties from the 2019 parliamentary elections. (freedomhouse.org)
- Benin has much more than Voodoo mystique and is in fact, a top adventure spot in Africa. (iexplore.com)
- In West Africa, Plan International is going through a period of transformation as we are merging with BØRNEfonden in Benin, Burkina Faso, Mali and Togo to become stronger together and increase our impact for vulnerable children in the region. (plan-international.org)
- Heavy rains flooded parts of West and Central Africa in the rainy season of 2010, and among the hardest-hit countries was Benin. (cia.gov)
- As in other areas of Africa, clinics and hospitals in Benin are often underfunded and understaffed. (goabroad.com)
- Benin, the former Kingdom of Dahomey, is a small country in West Africa with an area of 112,622 km², bordered by Togo to the west, Nigeria to the east, and Niger and Burkina Faso to the north. (brusselsairlines.com)
- COTONOU, Benin -- With nearly 5,000 dead of Ebola in West Africa, the World Health Organization elected a new director Wednesday of its Africa office, which has been accused of bungling the response to the outbreak in its early stages. (thefreedictionary.com)
- Among the workshop's distinguished guests were Emmanuel O. Egbogah, SPE Africa Region director and special adviser on Petroleum Matters to the President of Nigeria, and O.A. Olaosebikan, SPE Benin Ciety Section director and managing director of Nigerian Petroleum Development Company (NPDC). (spe.org)
- Three-time champions Nigeria defeated Benin 1-0 after already having qualified for the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations Saturday due the earlier scoreless draw between Lesotho and Sierra Leone. (espn.com)
- Diospyros crassiflora or Benin ebony is endemic to western Africa. (pfaf.org)
- Power consumption per capita in Benin, at 72 KWh/capita per year, is below the average consumption in low-income countries in Africa and only a hundredth of the average for middle-income countries. (reeep.org)
- The Benin Bronzes, which were taken from Africa by British troops in 1897, will be lent to a museum being set up in Nigeria. (thetimes.co.uk)
- 8 day tailor made overland tour from Ghana to Benin via Togo featuring UNESCO sites, cultural insight and a chance to witness the lifestyles of rural West Africa. (responsibletravel.com)
- This week-long Benin, Togo and Ghana tour takes travellers on a unique cultural journey through West Africa where you ll experience everything from authentic African architecture and the horrific heritage of the slave trade to voodoo magic and fetish markets. (responsibletravel.com)
- Continuing into Benin from Togo you ll unearth the UNESCO Abomey Royal Palaces as well as one of West Africa s most incredible villages Ganavie built entirely overwater with houses on stilts and transportation, goods delivery, farming and the school run all undertaken by canoe. (responsibletravel.com)
- Cotonou (AFP) - Benin said Thursday that it has placed two patients with Ebola-like symptoms in isolation and was waiting for test results to establish if the pair were infected with the deadly tropical disease. (yahoo.com)
- and onwards to Cotonou, Benin on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. (thefreedictionary.com)
- COTONOU, Benin -- Safwat Center of Direct Aid Society serves people in the capital and provides them with educational and health services. (thefreedictionary.com)
- De Souza previously worked at the Central Bank of West African States (BCEAO) at its headquarters in Dakar, Senegal, and at its Principal Branch Office in Cotonou, Benin , and also served as a member of Benin's Parliament from 2011 to 2015. (thefreedictionary.com)
- COTONOU, Benin , Rabi'I 16, 1437, December 27, 2015, SPA -- The spokesman for Benin's Interior Ministry says a helicopter carrying Benin's prime minister has crashed in the country's northwest, but he is unhurt, according to AP. (thefreedictionary.com)
- was intercepted, its captain claimed to have sailed from Cotonou, Benin Republic on sea trials and that the vessel was not carrying any product. (thefreedictionary.com)
- Orange and the members of the ACE consortium have launch the ACE cable in Cotonou, Benin and Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain. (thefreedictionary.com)
- The Scheme was established by a Protocol signed by ECOWAS heads of state in Cotonou, Benin , in May 1982. (thefreedictionary.com)
- Beginning March 10th, 2014 Arik Air will add Cotonou, Benin to its daily route network by operating the Lagos, Nigeria -Dakar, Senegal flight via Cotonou, the economic capital of Benin Republic. (thefreedictionary.com)
- COTONOU, Benin , 21 novembre 2013/African Press Organization (APO)/ -- Les directeurs nationaux du commerce interieur ainsi que des consultants, experts et personnes-ressources de divers horizons ont entame ce mercredi 20 novembre 2013 a Cotonou un atelier de deux jours visant a valider le Programme regional d'appui a la regulation du commerce informel dans l'espace CEDEAO (PARCI). (thefreedictionary.com)
- Moki Edwin Kindzeka narrates this report by Anne Nzouankeu in Cotonou, Benin. (voanews.com)
- Cotonou / Abuja, June 9, 2005 - UNICEF congratulates the Governments of the Republic of Benin and the Federal Republic of Nigeria for the signing today, in Cotonou, of a "Cooperation agreement to prevent, suppress and punish trafficking in persons with emphasis on trafficking in women and children. (unicef.org)
- With the support of the UNICEF Benin and Nigeria offices, three meetings were subsequently held between the two countries: in March 2004 in Lagos, June 2004 in Cotonou and April 2005 to Abuja. (unicef.org)
- With the exception of the road linking Cotonou in the south to Malanville on the border with Niger in the north, roads in Benin are generally in poor condition and are often impassable during the rainy season. (countryreports.org)
- Food insecurity in Benin remains serious: a comprehensive food security and vulnerability analysis carried out in 2017 showed that 9.6 percent of the population was food insecure while chronic malnutrition, which prevents body growth and cognitive development with irreversible consequences after the age of 2, affects 32 percent of young children . (wfp.org)
- This decentralized evaluation was commissioned by the WFP Benin Country Office jointly with the Ministry of Primary and Preschool Education (MEMP) in Benin and it covers the 2017-18 academic year and most of the 2018-19 academic year. (wfp.org)
- Benin leverages its port as a platform to reach over 100 million consumers in neighboring landlocked countries such as Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger, and Chad, and 155 million in Nigeria. (export.gov)
- In the women's category, Nigeria humiliated Niger 32-6 whilst Benin eased past Burkina Faso 31-25. (ghanaweb.com)
- Minister of Sport Laura Flessel visited Benin from 26 to 29 July 2018. (gouv.fr)
- Trade between France and Benin is characterized by limited French imports (€2.4 million in 2018), made up essentially of a few agricultural and agrifood products. (gouv.fr)
- The strategic focuses of cooperation between France and Benin for the period 2018-2021 are set out in the general partnership framework signed in Paris on 9 March 2018. (gouv.fr)
- LONDON, ENGLAND - NOVEMBER 22: Plaques that form part of the Benin Bronzes are displayed at The British Museum on November 22, 2018 in London, England. (cnn.com)
- He said the Bank's undertaking to provide US $700 million in support to Benin during the 2014-2018 period had begun to materialize through projects approved in 2014 such as the Parakou Urban Transport Project. (afdb.org)
- Goma, September 5, 2018--Authorities in Benin should immediately reverse an order to suspend indefinitely the privately owned daily, La Nouvelle Tribune, and allow it to continue operating without interference, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. (cpj.org)
- It also aligns with the World Bank Group's Country Partnership Framework for Benin - 2018-2023, and directly relates to the institution's Human Capital Project which aims to enhance investment in people through nutrition, health care, quality education, jobs and skills, which are key to ending extreme poverty and creating more inclusive societies. (worldbank.org)
- From humble beginnings in the coastal town of Ouidah, he rose to become one of the most powerful Benin businessmen and bankrolled Boni Yayi's successful 2006 and 2011 election campaigns. (yahoo.com)
- The joint Committee will meet in Ouidah, Benin, on 9-10 June 2005 to finalize and adopt a joint plan of action against trafficking in persons. (unicef.org)
- The British Museum has sold off more than 30 controversial Benin bronzes for as little as 75 each since 1950, it has emerged. (bbc.co.uk)
- The revelation is an interesting one for those campaigning to see the Benin bronzes return to Nigeria - and the Elgin Marbles to Greece. (bbc.co.uk)
- The fate of the plaques sent to Nigeria are in doubt as little of the collection of Benin bronzes is currently on display. (bbc.co.uk)
- Benin bronzes: Will Britain return Nigeria's stolen treasures? (cnn.com)
- A picture shows two artifacts from the "Benin Bronzes" collection, a long-beaked bird and the monarch's bell, returned to the Benin kingdom by a British pensioner during a ceremony in Benin City, Nigeria, on June 20, 2014. (cnn.com)
- The Benin bronzes are universally recognized as a towering achievement in the history of art. (cnn.com)
- More than a century after British soldiers looted a collection of priceless artifacts from the Kingdom of Benin, some of the Benin bronzes are heading back to Nigeria - with strings attached. (cnn.com)
- Sarr and Savoy further recommended that key, symbolic pieces long sought by claimant nations should be immediately returned - including several French-held Benin bronzes. (cnn.com)
- The Institut Français in Benin plays a leading role in this field, promoting both French culture and the emergence of Beninese artists. (gouv.fr)
- It should also be noted that Benin is a key decentralized cooperation partner: 45 partnership agreements have been signed between French and Beninese local governments and over 170 projects have been implemented. (gouv.fr)
Bight of Be2
- As a result of this change, Benin Crown Prince will now depart finally from Uselu palace for Eko-Ohae on October 8, 2016. (punchng.com)
- In 2016 Sightsavers also helped to train more than 10,000 volunteer community distributors in Benin, enabling them to gather data and give out medication to protect against these diseases. (sightsavers.org)
- During the project, which was completed in January 2016, surveyors collected data from 2.6 million people in 29 countries, including Benin, using Android smartphones. (sightsavers.org)
- Allada, Benin -- Benin's farmers can again export pineapples to the European Union, their most lucrative market, following the set-up of a food safety surveillance system with the help of the IAEA and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). (iaea.org)
- CEB, (the power generation and transmission company owned by Benin and Togo, with headquarters in Togo) sells power to SBEE (Benin's distribution company). (reeep.org)
- The collaboration broadened in 2006 when Benin was selected to be a U.S. President's Malaria Initiative focus country. (cdc.gov)
- An in-country CDC resident advisor was assigned to Benin starting in 2008. (cdc.gov)
- The Republic of Benin is a low-income, food-deficit country with an estimated population of 11.2 million , who are predominantly rural. (wfp.org)
- Relations between France and Benin, a priority country for French official development assistance (ODA), have been strengthened by frequent bilateral visits. (gouv.fr)
- Benin was the first country to make an official request for the return of cultural heritage, which President Macron decided to accept. (gouv.fr)
- Famous mostly for being the mysterious center of the well-publicized Voodoo religion, Benin is actually a country with many faces. (iexplore.com)
- The country is bordered by Nigeria on the east and Togo on the west, both of which are easily accessible and make for worthwhile stops before or after a trip to Benin. (iexplore.com)
- If the patients are confirmed to have Ebola, Benin would become the fifth country in the region to be hit by the outbreak. (yahoo.com)
- ELI works with several schools and orphanages throughout the country of Benin. (goabroad.com)
- A small country in the Gulf of Guinea with a rich history, Benin has some forty ethnic groups living in perfect harmony. (brusselsairlines.com)
- We hope that the Benin-Nigeria agreement will be an example for other countries," said Ayalew Abai, UNICEF Nigeria country Representative. (unicef.org)
- For more in-depth information, review OSAC's Benin country page for original OSAC reporting, consular messages, and contact information, some of which may be available only to private-sector representatives with an OSAC password. (osac.gov)
- Some people in Benin still use charms to get rid of a rival -- but the weapon stays largely hidden and for lack of evidence, the country has not legislated against occult practices. (digitaljournal.com)
- The culmination of this Benin, Togo and Ghana tour takes you deep into voodoo country where you ll come face to face with a faith healer living within a tiny village surrounded by shrines and the plains of the savannah. (responsibletravel.com)
- Ironically, Cedric is from Benin, a country where computer and internet classes in a number of schools are compulsory, and the use of technology is encouraged and advertised by the media. (giswatch.org)
- said Pierre Laporte, World Bank Country Director for Benin . (worldbank.org)
- Benin has made some progress on child health, but child malnutrition remains a major impediment to ensuring optimal formation of human capital in the country, and one of the key markers of poverty and vulnerability. (worldbank.org)
- said Katrina Sharkey, World Bank Country Manager for Benin . (worldbank.org)
- LAGOS - IN SPITE of initial threats by the Police, many Nigerians protested the harsh economic conditions in the country, yesterday, with marches in Abuja, Lagos, Ibadan, Benin, Ijebu-Ode and London, saying ''enough is enough. (feedreader.com)
- Get the mobile country codes for calling Cocos Islands from Benin. (countrycallingcodes.com)
- We hope Country Calling Codes has been of help to you in finding the Cocos Island calling code for your international call from Benin to Cocos Islands. (countrycallingcodes.com)
- Abomey , town, southern Benin . (britannica.com)
- Abomey Abomey, Benin. (britannica.com)
- From the Slave Route which takes visitors on the very pathway that slaves walked before embarking on their tragic journey to the Abomey Historical Museum which provides information about the Kingdom of Dahomey and the Benin of old, there are enough sites to get your cultural fill. (iexplore.com)
- Sad fate, sad situation for Cedric, a young student of eighteen, registered for his first year in sociology and anthropology at the University of Abomey-Calavi in Benin, truly immersed in this reality. (giswatch.org)
Togo and Benin4
- The Atakora, chain of mountains that starts in southeast Ghana and cuts through Togo and Benin, have offered a refuge for the Tambermas people for generations. (infohub.com)
- CEB's own production capacity is limited to the Nangbeto hydroelectric power plant (66W) and 40 MW gas turbines in Togo and Benin. (reeep.org)
- Ghana, Togo and Benin cultural holiday. (responsibletravel.com)
- In collaboration with our tour partners in Togo and Benin, we support local conservation efforts by making little donations to conservation site managers. (responsibletravel.com)
Nigeria and Benin3
- Authorities from Nigeria and Benin are taking advantage of Governor Atiku Bagudu of Kebbi's visit to Benin to discuss resolving the border dispute between the two countries. (dur.ac.uk)
- Nigeria and Benin booked their places at the final of both the men and women's categories of the ongoing African Handball Confederation (CAHB) Zone 3 U-20 Championship currently underway at the Accra Sports Stadium, Ghana. (ghanaweb.com)
- News from Nigeria and Benin has revived debate on the monetisation of politics across the continent, as citizens especially young people discuss the exorbitant fees required to contest for the position of presidency. (africanews.com)
- Whether travelers are interested in the country's heritage or what modern day Benin has to offer, there are sightseeing opportunities for every taste. (iexplore.com)
- President Adesina commended the Benin Government's efforts to consolidate the country's macro-economic framework and the sustained growth achieved since 2011. (afdb.org)
- Three senators from Haiti pause in reflection in front of a statue of their country's independence hero Toussaint Louverture in Allada, southern Benin, where he had his roots. (digitaljournal.com)
University of Benin Teaching Hospi1
- A retrospective study was carried out of all neonates who underwent surgery over an 8-year period at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital, Benin City, Nigeria. (nih.gov)
- Benin Airport (IATA: BNI, ICAO: DNBE) is an airport serving Benin City, the capital of Edo State in Nigeria. (wikipedia.org)
- The British Museum has agreed to loan the plaques back to a new museum in Benin City in Nigeria. (cnn.com)
- The key agenda item (at the October meeting) was how partners can work together to establish a museum in Benin City with a rotation of Benin works of art from a consortium of European museums," the spokesman said. (cnn.com)
- Dialogue is ongoing between the parties of the BDG, and the group is scheduled to meet again in Benin City next year. (cnn.com)
- Tiny Benin shares a border with Nigeria, which has recorded seven Ebola cases including two deaths in its largest city Lagos. (yahoo.com)
- The SPE Benin City, Nigeria, Section held its first Young Professionals (YPs) Workshop May 9 at the Vichi Gates Hotel and Suites in Benin City. (spe.org)
- YP participants in the Benin City workshop. (spe.org)
- Speaking while receiving governors of the Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN, who paid him a courtesy visit after their one-day retreat in Benin City, weekend, the Oba told Governor Oshiomhole "you will come back and complete unfinished projects. (vanguardngr.com)
- Factors affecting the management and outcome of neonatal surgery in Benin City, Nigeria. (nih.gov)
- This Benin City Map will certainly help you to seek out the best restaurants, clubs and sights in town. (travelgrove.com)
- Learn more about the best things to do in the city reading our travel tips and then get around in Benin City with Travelgrove's map . (travelgrove.com)
- We hope you will find our city map of Benin City useful. (travelgrove.com)
- Enjoy your trip and come back to share your travel experience about Benin City ! (travelgrove.com)
- Located on the banks of Benin River, Benin City has a rather flat topography, with few wetlands and lots of vegetation. (travelgrove.com)
- Would she come back home to Benin City on a temporary loan? (modernghana.com)
- In a reference to the Cambridge Statement, Kwame Opoku wrote: "We have the so-called Dialogue Group on Benin City proposing a strange scheme whereby some of the looted Benin artefacts would be displayed in Benin City, but ownership of the artefacts would be with Western museums. (modernghana.com)
- I still believe such a proposal is insulting if you consider the people who lost their lives in the invasion of 1897, the burning of Benin City, the general destruction and violence ensuing from the attack and the fact that the State that looted the artefacts has kept them for more that hundred years and is still not willing even to restitute some of the artefacts. (modernghana.com)
- The group comprises of representatives of several European museums, the Royal Court of Benin, Edo State Government, and Nigeria's National Commission for Museums and Monuments. (cnn.com)
- Nigeria's Ambassador to the Benin Republic, has on Wednesday met with the President of Benin Republic, Patrice Talon. (vanguardngr.com)
- Benin -- giant Nigeria's tiny western neighbour -- is one of the cradles of voodoo, where it is an official religion and has millions of followers. (digitaljournal.com)
- Prof. Gregory Akenzua, Chairman of the Coronation Planning Committee, made the announcement at a news conference at the Oba's palace in Benin. (punchng.com)
- A deal was struck last month by the Benin Dialogue Group (BDG) that would see "some of the most iconic pieces" in the historic collection returned on a temporary basis to form an exhibition at the new Benin Royal Museum in Edo State within three years. (cnn.com)
- We received a copy of an article entitled Benin Dialogue Group: Benin Royal Museum-: Three Steps Forward, Six Steps Back by Folarin Shyllon in Art, Antiquity and Law (2). (modernghana.com)
- This is an interesting article because Shyllon has participated in all the meetings of the Benin Dialogue Group since its inception and therefore has information which many of us are not privileged to have. (modernghana.com)
- He explains in the article some of the activities of the Benin Dialogue Group. (modernghana.com)
- The point is being made because it gives fodder to some critics of the Benin Dialogue Group. (modernghana.com)
- He faults them for rejecting restitution not so much because this is a wrong attitude ' The point is being made because it gives fodder to some critics of the Benin Dialogue Group' and immediately refers to Kwame Opoku. (modernghana.com)
- According to the population census conducted by the Institut National de la Statistique Benin on February 15, 2002, the arrondissement had a total population of 1,746. (wikipedia.org)
- Benin has a youthful age structure - almost 65% of the population is under the age of 25 - which is bolstered by high fertility and population growth rates. (cia.gov)
- Benin population is equivalent to 0.15% of the total world population . (worldometers.info)
- Benin ranks number 78 in the list of countries (and dependencies) by population . (worldometers.info)
- The population density in Benin is 105 per Km 2 (271 people per mi 2 ). (worldometers.info)
- The Benin Population (Live) counter shows a continuously updated estimate of the current population of Benin delivered by Worldometers' RTS algorithm , which processes data collected from the United Nations Population Division. (worldometers.info)
- Nigeria travelled by sea to west African neighbours Benin on Friday after players raised concerns about the poor roads between the countries. (espn.com)
- Benin is one of the countries involved in the planned $500 million, 620 km (385 mile) West African natural gas pipeline to run from Nigeria to Côte d'Ivoire. (nationsencyclopedia.com)
- Together with other countries belonging to the West African Economic and Monetary Union (WAEMU), Benin adopted the common external tariff in 2000, which was designed to encourage domestic production. (nationsencyclopedia.com)
- Nigeria closed its borders to neighboring countries, particularly Benin nearly two months now. (africanews.com)
- Benin lacks the regular street address system found in western countries so the caller will have to use landmarks. (direct-travel.co.uk)
- From 1982 to 1998, Benin has exploited a small offshore oil field. (reeep.org)
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) began collaborating with the government of Benin in 1999 on a subnational malaria control project that included the World Health Organization's Integrated Management of Childhood Illness strategy. (cdc.gov)
- Endemic in Benin, malaria is the leading cause of mortality among children under 5, and the leading cause of morbidity among adults. (cdc.gov)
- Present day Benin was the site of Dahomey, a West African kingdom that rose to prominence in about 1600 and over the next two and a half centuries became a regional power, largely based on its slave trade. (cia.gov)
- Benin has resumed most transportation options (including airport operations) and business operations (including day cares and schools), although land borders remain closed to most travelers. (state.gov)
- OSAC encourages travelers to use this report to gain baseline knowledge of security conditions in Benin. (osac.gov)
- The current U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory at the date of this report's publication assesses Benin at Level 1, indicating travelers should exercise normal precautions. (osac.gov)
- Additionally, we work in collaboration with our Togolese and Benin counterparts who work with trained tour guides to ensure that our travelers experience local lifestyle at the local communities. (responsibletravel.com)
- it changed its name to the Republic of Benin in 1975. (cia.gov)
- The signing of this agreement today marks an important step forward in the fight against child trafficking and illustrates the determination of the Republic of Benin and Nigeria to join forces against trafficking in persons. (unicef.org)
- According to Philippe Duamelle, UNICEF Representative in Benin, "this new era of strengthened cooperation between the Republic of Benin and Nigeria to fight trafficking in persons must rapidly lead to concrete actions. (unicef.org)
- Flag of the so-called Republic of Benin established in mid-west Nigeria in 1967. (1uptravel.com)
- The Republic of Benin survived only hours. (1uptravel.com)
- NIAMEY (Reuters) - Benin, Niger and Togo have all formally recognized Libya's rebels, breaking ranks with the African Union which said on Friday it could not recognize the rebel National Transitional Council (NTC) until fighting had ended. (reuters.com)
- Earlier, Benin accounted for Niger 36-20 to become the first team to reach the final. (ghanaweb.com)
- Djofin Assou Gilbert, of our partner organisation ReSPESD in Benin, explains how he worked with Plan International to reform the way children are treated by Voodoo convents. (plan-international.org)
- Plan International Benin is working alongside local partners and Voodoo priests to help children who have been confined in Voodoo convents to leave and return to their communities and schools. (plan-international.org)
- In Benin, "voodoo is for good"," he added. (digitaljournal.com)
- BENIN-Oba Erediauwa of Benin Kingdom has commended Governors Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State and Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State for the fast pace of development in their respective states. (vanguardngr.com)
- The Benin Traditional Council on Wednesday announced October 20 as the new date for the coronation of the Crown Prince of Benin Kingdom, Prince Eheneden Erediauwa. (punchng.com)
- The museums in attendance have all agreed to lend artifacts to the Benin Royal Museum on a rotating basis, to provide advice as requested on building and exhibition design, and to cooperate with the Nigerian partners in developing training, funding, and a legal framework for the display in a new planned museum. (cnn.com)
- But he insisted that Benin still needs to pass a comprehensive legal framework to protect heritage. (yahoo.com)
- Any traveler entering Benin is required to provide proof of yellow fever immunization. (iexplore.com)
- Q - The government of Benin reportedly ordered equipment in order to crack down on demonstrators and this equipment is reportedly being blocked at Roissy at the moment. (gouv.fr)
- The French government has responded to the report by announcing an initial 26 artworks will be returned to the state of Benin, with further restitution to follow. (cnn.com)
- The disputed territories include settlements in Bagudo Local Government of Kebbi in Nigeria and Maladil in Benin. (dur.ac.uk)
- Virtually all media in Benin are controlled by the government. (nationsencyclopedia.com)
- The Constitution of Benin ensures freedom of expression, including speech and the press, and the government is said to respect this freedom. (nationsencyclopedia.com)
- The terms of reference of the WFP/Government of Benin Final Joint Evaluation of the Integrated National School Feeding Programme (PNASI) aim to inform stakeholders about the evaluation, clarify expectations and requirements and guide the evaluation team in its work during the various phases of the evaluation. (wfp.org)
- Launched in late 2014, TechnoServe implemented a business plan competition program with funding from the World Bank and working in conjunction with the Government of Benin. (technoserve.org)
- The Government of Benin has already shown enhanced leadership in nutrition and developed an innovative approach of community-based action for improved nutrition during the first 1,000 days. (worldbank.org)
- The education system in Benin faces persistent challenges and only 38 percent of the people are literate. (wfp.org)
- Four years ago the Quai Branly in Paris wanted to train two young people from Benin in restoration," he said. (yahoo.com)
- Early in the COVID-19 pandemic, Benin set up a service to allow people to register their business online. (voanews.com)
- The more my legal woes grow, the more support I receive from the people of Benin. (rfi.fr)
- TechnoServe is leading a sector-wide value chain approach aimed at strengthening and expanding the cashew sector into a more productive, competitive, sustainable, and inclusive economic growth engine for the people of Benin. (technoserve.org)
- Started in September 2015, with support from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), TechnoServe's BeninCajù is a sector-wide value chain approach aimed at strengthening and expanding the cashew sector into a more productive, competitive, sustainable, and inclusive economic growth engine for the people of Benin. (technoserve.org)
- In this study, the authors describe the profile of people seen in criminal psychiatric expertise in northern Benin and their results. (scirp.org)
- However, processing capacity and other value chain inefficiencies have kept the sector from reaching its potential, and Benin still exports 92 percent of its cashew as unprocessed raw nut. (technoserve.org)
- While Benin has welcomed France's decision to return the objects, it has cautioned against doing so too quickly. (yahoo.com)
- As we continue our exploration of jazz by African musicians and by foreign musicians fascinated with the African continent and its music, this week we focus on Benin, Congo, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Senegal & Zimbabwe. (allaboutjazz.com)
- Driving from south to north enables travellers to see the ever-changing landscapes that encapsulate this Benin, Togo and Ghana tour with two-storey mud architecture, local granaries and Batammariba villages providing ample photo ops as well as fascinating cultural insight. (responsibletravel.com)
- Instead of tripling exports in line with the plan, our European sales ground to a halt," said Xavier Satola, a pineapple farmer and president of the Benin Pineapple Exporters Association. (iaea.org)
- Zinsou, 61, had come out top in the first round of elections held on March 6 but the prime minister, a candidate for Boni Yayi's Cowry Forces for an Emerging Benin (FCBE), was seen as the frontrunner with the support of most lawmakers in parliament. (yahoo.com)
- The bronze plaques were seized by the British in 1897 when they took over the kingdom of Benin, now south-west Nigeria. (bbc.co.uk)
- Artists of the once-mighty Kingdom of Benin, in present day Edo State, Nigeria, honed sophisticated techniques over centuries to craft detailed depictions of life in the Kingdom, from court scenes to foreign soldiers. (cnn.com)
- New Delhi [India], June 4 (ANI): Union Minister of State for External Affairs V Muraleedharan on Friday interacted with the Indian community in Nigeria, Benin and Chad via virtual mode and reassured them of the government's commitment to their welfare. (yahoo.com)
- Lawmakers in neighbouring Benin this week voted to increase the deposit for presidential candidates to 250 million CFA francs ($441,000). (africanews.com)
- The Société Beninoise d'Electricité et d'Eau (SBEE) controls most electrical production within Benin (which is minimal), and the Communauté Electrique du Benin (CEB) imports the electricity from Ghana through Togo. (nationsencyclopedia.com)
- Benin relies on energy imports and produces just 18% of its national energy requirements. (reeep.org)
- Visit the Embassy's COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in Benin. (state.gov)
- A spokesman for the Governor of Edo said that designs are being finalized in collaboration with the Royal Court of Benin. (cnn.com)
- Under the U.S. President's Malaria Initiative (PMI), CDC has assigned a resident advisor to Benin to support the implementation of malaria prevention and control interventions. (cdc.gov)
- Large-scale implementation of artemisinin-based combination therapies (ACTs) and intermittent preventive treatment for pregnant women (IPTp) began in Benin in 2007 and has progressed rapidly with support from PMI and partners. (cdc.gov)
- WFP also aims to support the Benin health services by strengthening their capacities in nutrition, education and gender-transformative social behavior change communication. (wfp.org)
- Through its cooperation initiatives, France also seeks to promote francophonie, to strengthen cultural diversity, and to support artists, actors and cultural organizations in Benin. (gouv.fr)
- Plan International began operating in Benin in 1994 to support children to exercise their rights. (plan-international.org)
- Highlights of this Benin, Togo and Ghana tour include the UNESCO Cape Coast castle in Ghana where you ll be able to visit the fish market and lend a hand as fishermen try to haul in the catch of the day. (responsibletravel.com)
- Participate in an international project in Benin, focusing on environmentalism and conservation. (goabroad.com)