Head and Neck Neoplasms
Soft tissue tumors or cancer arising from the mucosal surfaces of the LIP; oral cavity; PHARYNX; LARYNX; and cervical esophagus. Other sites included are the NOSE and PARANASAL SINUSES; SALIVARY GLANDS; THYROID GLAND and PARATHYROID GLANDS; and MELANOMA and non-melanoma skin cancers of the head and neck. (from Holland et al., Cancer Medicine, 4th ed, p1651)
Carcinoma, Squamous Cell
Free Tissue Flaps
A funnel-shaped fibromuscular tube that conducts food to the ESOPHAGUS, and air to the LARYNX and LUNGS. It is located posterior to the NASAL CAVITY; ORAL CAVITY; and LARYNX, and extends from the SKULL BASE to the inferior border of the CRICOID CARTILAGE anteriorly and to the inferior border of the C6 vertebra posteriorly. It is divided into the NASOPHARYNX; OROPHARYNX; and HYPOPHARYNX (laryngopharynx).
Esophageal Sphincter, Upper
Dissection in the neck to remove all disease tissues including cervical LYMPH NODES and to leave an adequate margin of normal tissue. This type of surgery is usually used in tumors or cervical metastases in the head and neck. The prototype of neck dissection is the radical neck dissection described by Crile in 1906.
Tongues of skin and subcutaneous tissue, sometimes including muscle, cut away from the underlying parts but often still attached at one end. They retain their own microvasculature which is also transferred to the new site. They are often used in plastic surgery for filling a defect in a neighboring region.
Reconstructive Surgical Procedures
Combined Modality Therapy
The muscles of the PHARYNX are voluntary muscles arranged in two layers. The external circular layer consists of three constrictors (superior, middle, and inferior). The internal longitudinal layer consists of the palatopharyngeus, the salpingopharyngeus, and the stylopharyngeus. During swallowing, the outer layer constricts the pharyngeal wall and the inner layer elevates pharynx and LARYNX.
Otorhinolaryngologic Surgical Procedures
Access to Information
A pair of cone-shaped elastic mucous membrane projecting from the laryngeal wall and forming a narrow slit between them. Each contains a thickened free edge (vocal ligament) extending from the THYROID CARTILAGE to the ARYTENOID CARTILAGE, and a VOCAL MUSCLE that shortens or relaxes the vocal cord to control sound production.
Dictionaries as Topic
The hypopharynx is a somewhat globular structure, arising from the base of the labium. It assists swallowing. It performs the ... are short and chelate and are positioned on either side of the base of the proboscis or sometimes vestigial or absent. Sea ...
The tumor may spread locally to soft palate and pillars, base of tongue, pharyngeal wall and hypopharynx. It may invade ... The staging of a tumor mass is based on TNM staging. T staging is the based on the tumor mass. The N staging is based on the ... Based on the examination of the entire body. FInally, the stage is decided by concluding the above results and referring the ... It has also been stated under the FDA poisonous plant data base by the U.S Food and Drug Administration An unbalanced diet, ...
Vocal cord paresis
When tumor formation is suspected, parts of the hypopharynx and the upper esophagus and passive mobility of the arytenoid ... Misono S, Merati AL (October 2012). "Evidence-based practice: evaluation and management of unilateral vocal fold paralysis". ... of the neck including the base of the skull and the brain, ultrasound examination of the neck) are performed to exclude tumors ...
The maxillary palpi are at the base beside the labium, two-segmented in all Dasypogoninae or single segmented in Asilinae and ... They are powerfully built, bristly flies with a short, stout proboscis enclosing the sharp, sucking hypopharynx. The name " ... The entomophagy of some species had indeed been already hypothesized by some authors of the nineteenth century, based on the ... the hypopharynx. The proboscis is rounded in cross section or laterally or dorsoventrally compressed and is usually stout, and ...
Head and neck cancer
Docetaxel-based chemotherapy has shown a very good response in locally advanced head and neck cancer. Docetaxel is the only ... Tumors of the hypopharynx frequently have an advanced stage at diagnosis, and have the most adverse prognoses of pharyngeal ... Liang C (2009). "A population-based case-control study of marijuana use and head and neck squamous cell carcinoma". Cancer Prev ... The hypopharynx includes the pyriform sinuses, the posterior pharyngeal wall, and the postcricoid area. ...
... base of tongue) Larynx cancer (voicebox cancer) Hypopharynx cancer (lower throat cancer) Sinonasal cancer Nasopharyngeal cancer ... Patients seek treatment from an otorhinolaryngologist for diseases of the ear, nose, throat, base of the skull, head, and neck ... such as the facial nerve and lateral skull base) Outer ear diseases Otitis externa - outer ear or ear canal inflammation Middle ... surgery of the head and neck Thyroid surgery Parathyroid surgery Microvascular free flap reconstructive surgery Skull base ...
HPV-positive oropharyngeal cancer
"Head and Neck Cancer Evidence-based Series (EBS) and Practice Guidelines (PG)". Evidence Based Guidelines. Cancer Care Ontario ... also referred to as the hypopharynx), from top to bottom). The pharynx is a semicircular fibromuscular tube joining the nasal ... but for tongue base primaries bilateral neck radiation is more common, but unilateral radiation may be used where tongue base ... base of skull and extensive involvement of the larynx or more than half of the base of tongue. Technical considerations in ...
Most lice also further specialize to specific regions on their hosts such as the fluff at the base of the tail, the head, and ... such as the hypopharynx, is used to collect the blood. Due to their ability to utilize blood as a source of food, families in ... The lice will scratch and nibble at the base of the feather in order to obtain this blood and modified mouth organs, ...
The upper portion of the pharynx, the nasopharynx, extends from the base of the skull to the upper surface of the soft palate. ... The laryngopharynx, (Latin: pars laryngea pharyngis), also known as hypopharynx, is the caudal part of the pharynx; it is the ... The anterior wall consists of the base of the tongue and the epiglottic vallecula; the lateral wall is made up of the tonsil, ...
There are two variants based on the age of onset: juvenile and adult laryngeal papillomatosis. The tumors are caused by human ... 2017). "Tumours of the Hypopharynx, Larynx, Trachea and Parapharyngeal Space". World Health Organization Classification of Head ... based on whether it develops before or after 20 years of age. The juvenile form is generally transmitted through contact with a ... Laryngeal papillomatosis is a rare disease with a bimodal distribution based on age of incidence. The incidence, or number of ...
Glossary of entomology terms
base / basal area of wing Region close to the point of attachment to the thorax. basal streak (Noctuidae) also basal dash - a ... hypopharynx Mouthpart. A tonguelike lobe on the floor of the mouth. idiobiont a form of parasitism where the parasitoid ... alar squama The middle of three flap-like outgrowths at the base of the wing in various flies. alary muscles muscles along the ... 3. The oblong sclerite at the base of the inferior margin of the hemelytron in Heteroptera. 4. The knob at the end of the ...
حلق - ویکیپدیا، دانشنامهٔ آزاد
The laryngopharynx, (Latin: pars laryngea pharyngis), also known as hypopharynx, is the caudal part of the pharynx; it is the ... The upper portion of the pharynx, the nasopharynx, extends from the base of the skull to the upper surface of the soft palate.[ ... The anterior wall consists of the base of the tongue and the epiglottic vallecula; the lateral wall is made up of the tonsil, ...
As there are multiple potential etiologies for the respiratory and laryngeal symptoms of LPR, diagnosing LPR based on symptoms ... The presence of pepsin, an enzyme produced in the stomach, in the hypopharynx has also become an increasingly researched ... Dec 2002). "The prevalence of hypopharynx findings associated with gastroesophageal reflux in normal volunteers". J Voice. 16 ( ...
Hypopharynx. The hypopharynx is a somewhat globular structure, located medially to the mandibles and the maxillae. In ... In chewing insects, adductor and abductor muscles extend from inside the cranium to within the bases of the stipites and ... Legend: a, antennae; c, compound eye; lb, labium; lr, labrum; md, mandibles; mx, maxillae hp hypopharynx. ... The hypopharynx divides the oral cavity into two parts: the cibarium or dorsal food pouch and ventral salivarium into which the ...
It was based on John Luther Long's short story written in 1898. According to Lafcadio Hearn, a butterfly was seen in Japan as ... Adjoining these is the labium-hypopharynx which houses a tubular spinneret which is able to extrude silk. Caterpillars such as ... Butterflies in the genus Agathymus do not fix their eggs to a leaf, instead the newly laid eggs fall to the base of the plant. ... This glue is easily seen surrounding the base of every egg forming a meniscus. The nature of the glue has been little ...
The humeral plate is usually a small sclerite on the anterior margin of the wing base, movable and articulated with the base of ... The hypopharynx is a median lobe immediately behind the mouth, projecting forwards from the back of the preoral cavity; it is a ... The base of the triangle (a-b) is the hinge of the wing with the body; the apex (c) is the distal end of the third axillary ... The base of the subcosta is associated with the distal end of the neck of the first axillary. The fourth vein is the radius, ...
There is also an extra mouth part in some insects which is termed as hypopharynx which is usually located between the maxillac ... Sculptures of human heads are generally based on a skeletal structure that consists of a cranium, jawbone, and cheekbone. ... the shape of the muscles varies widely based on the function, development, and expressions reflected on the faces of the ...
Treacher Collins syndrome
The OMENS classification was developed as a comprehensive and stage-based approach to differentiate the diseases. This acronym ... as a consequence of the hypoplasia of the mandibula and the obstruction of the hypopharynx by the tongue. Sometimes, they may ... Diagnosis is generally suspected based on symptoms and X-rays, and potentially confirmation by genetic testing. Treacher ...
Level II is bounded by the inferior border of the hyoid (inferiorly), the base of skull (superiorly), the stylohyoid muscle ( ... hypopharynx, and larynx, as well as the thyroid, parotid and posterior scalp. 1906 - George W. Crile of the Cleveland Clinic ...
This glue is easily seen surrounding the base of every egg forming a meniscus. The nature of the glue has been little ... Adjoining these is the labium-hypopharynx which houses a tubular spinneret which is able to extrude silk. Caterpillars such ... It was based on John Luther Long's short story written in 1898. ... Williams, C. B. (1927). "A Study of Butterfly Migration in South India and Ceylon, based largely on records by Messrs. G. ...
The flexible fiberoptic bronchoscope or rhinoscope can be used for office-based diagnostics or for tracheal intubation. The ... and Garignard de la Tour were other early physicians to use mouth mirrors to inspect the oropharynx and hypopharynx. In 1854, ... and this design is still the standard pattern veterinary laryngoscopes are based upon; however the blade is difficult to ...
The hypopharynx is flanked by a pair of large salivary glands which open into its lumen. The mid-intestinal cells of early ... It was described by the German entomologist Karl Leopold Escherich in 1905 based on specimens collected in South Africa, but is ... Gray silverfish have a simple digestive tract, consisting of a hypopharynx, a large, thin-walled crop (with the same pH as the ... As a food generalist with the ability to digest the cellulose contained in paper and cellulose-based textiles like rayon, ...
... ogens are mainly grouped in 5 different groups based on their primary structure: pepsinogen A (also called pepsinogen I ... pepsin is internalized by cells of the upper airways such as the larynx and hypopharynx by a process known as receptor-mediated ... An acidic substance that was able to convert nitrogen-based foods into water-soluble material was determined to be pepsin. In ...
Evidence of common descent
Natural evolution can be relived showing us possible paths from catalytic cycles based on proteins to based on RNA to based on ... These include a labrum (upper lip), a pair of mandibles, a hypopharynx (floor of mouth), a pair of maxillae, and a labium. (Fig ... Taxonomy is based on the fact that all organisms are related to each other in nested hierarchies based on shared ... Genetic analysis was also conducted on two mtDNA sites (416 base pairs from cytochrome C and 593 base pairs from cytochrome ...
This source sound is altered as it travels through the vocal tract, configured differently based on the position of the tongue ... It connects the inferior part of the pharynx (hypopharynx) with the trachea. The laryngeal skeleton consists of six cartilages ...
Contraction makes the tergum and base of the wing pull down. In turn this movement lever the outer or main part of the wing in ... from the glands to the reservoirs and then forward through the head to an opening called the salivarium behind the hypopharynx ... Direct flight muscles generate the upward stroke by the contraction of the muscles attached to the base of the wing inside the ... appendages unidirectionally with the aid of muscular pumps or accessory pulsatile organs which are usually found at the base of ...
The hypopharynx and the labrum are both hollow. Saliva with anticoagulant is pumped down the hypopharynx to prevent clotting, ... These models have been used to recreate past outbreaks as well as predict the potential risk of a vector-borne disease based on ... The labium forms the floor of the dragonfly's mouth, the labrum forms the top, while the hypopharynx is inside the mouth and is ... Its upper surface is somewhat flattened so, when the lower part of the hypopharynx is pressed against it, the labrum forms a ...
Brain tumor - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The treatment varies based on the type of tumor. For meningiomas, surgical removal of the tumor alone is often sufficient. ... Hypopharynx - Liver - Larynx - Lung - Mouth - Pancreas - Penis - Prostate - Kidney - Ovaries - Salivary gland - Skin - Spinal ...
The laryngopharynx, (Latin: pars laryngea pharyngis), also known as hypopharynx, is the caudal part of pharynx; it is the part ... The upper portion of the pharynx, the nasopharynx, extends from the base of the skull to the upper surface of the soft palate.[ ... The anterior wall consists of the base of the tongue and the epiglottic vallecula; the lateral wall is made up of the tonsil, ...
Traditional morphology-based or appearance-based systematics have usually given the Hexapoda the rank of superclass,:180 ... located behind the hypopharynx. By moving its mouthparts (element 32 in numbered diagram) the insect can mix its food with ... The epicoxal theory suggests the insect wings are modified epicoxal exites, a modified appendage at the base of the legs or ... Other theories are based on a pleural origin. These theories include suggestions that wings originated from modified gills, ...
មូស - វិគីភីឌា
The hypopharynx and the labrum are both hollow. Saliva with anticoagulant is pumped down the hypopharynx to prevent clotting, ... based on nuclear genes and morphology"]។ BMC Evolutionary Biology 9 (1): 298។ អ.វ.ល.:10.1186/1471-2148-9-298។ PMC 2805638។ អ.ស. ... The labium forms the floor of the dragonfly's mouth, the labrum forms the top, while the hypopharynx is inside the mouth and is ... In total, there are six mouthparts besides the labium: two mandibles, two maxillae, the hypopharynx, and the labrum. ...
Gallbladder cancer - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hsing AW, Gao YT, Han TQ, et al. (December 2007). "Gallstones and the risk of biliary tract cancer: a population-based study in ... Hypopharynx - Liver - Larynx - Lung - Mouth - Pancreas - Penis - Prostate - Kidney - Ovaries - Salivary gland - Skin - Spinal ...
Anatomy and Investigation of Pharyngeal Diseases and Diseases Of The Nasopharynx and Tonsils
If oropharyngeal cancer spreads - Canadian Cancer Society
Throat or larynx cancer: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
Imaging of Head and Neck Cancer: A Practical Approach: Ahuja, A. T.: Hardcover: 9781841100906: Powell's Books
Handbook of Evidence-Based Radiation Oncology | SpringerLink
Mack Roach have updated, revised, and expanded the Handbook of Evidence-based Radiation Oncology, a portable reference tha ... Larynx and Hypopharynx Cancer Sunanda Pejavar, Eric K. Hansen, Sue S. Yom, Naomi R. Schechter ... Mack Roach have updated, revised, and expanded the Handbook of Evidence-based Radiation Oncology, a portable reference that ... Treatment recommendations are discussed based on stage, histology, and/or risk classification. Brief summaries of key trials ...
Carcinoma of the Larynx and Hypopharynx | Sudhir Bahadur | Springer
His areas of interest are head and neck surgery/oncology and surgery of the skull base. He is the past President of the ... Carcinoma of the Larynx and Hypopharynx Editors: Bahadur, Sudhir, Thakar, Alok, Mohanti, Bidhu K. (Eds.) ... Carcinomas of the larynx and hypopharynx present unique challenges when it comes to their assessment and management. Management ... Salvage Surgery in Post-radiotherapy/Chemoradiation in Carcinoma of the Larynx and Hypopharynx ...
Treatment Options for Head and Neck Cancers, Moores Cancer Center at UC San Diego Health
Head and neck imaging refresher course 2018
Otology and skull base. *Sinuses and nasopharynx *Laryngology and hypopharynx. This one day course features focused ... Abstracts based on any topic relating to head and neck Imaging of no more than 250 words (excluding title, authors and ... The hypopharynx: How I do it. Dr Simon Morley, Consultant Radiologist, University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust ... OTOLOGY AND SKULL BASE. Dr Jagrit Shah, Consultant Neuroradiologist and Head and Neck Radiologist, Nottingham University ...
Plasma Cell Mucositis of Oro- and Hypopharynx: A Case Report
The lesion based at the uvula was completely resected during the biopsy. The lesion of the hypopharyngeal wall was biopsied, ... Plasma Cell Mucositis of Oro- and Hypopharynx: A Case Report. Mark Puvanendran,1 Anja Lieder,1 and Wolfgang Issing1,2 ... The patient presented with two lesions ulceration based around the uvula and a hypopharyngeal lesion. Clinically, it appeared ... The assessment is based on the appearance and extent of redness and ulceration of the oral cavity. ...
Pulmonary Flashcards by Alyssa Shapiro | Brainscape
Best Practice No 169 | Journal of Clinical Pathology
Evidence based pathology: squamous carcinoma of the hypopharynx. Abstract. This best practice article reviews the published ... This paper is based on a presentation at a meeting on evidence based management of hypopharyngeal cancer organised by the ... Tumours of the hypopharynx. In: Jones AS, Phillips DE, Hilgers FJM, eds. Diseases of the head and neck, nose and throat. London ... Carcinoma of the hypopharynx is a relatively uncommon disease, which has an incidence of less than 1/100 000 of the population ...
The pharynx - Canadian Cancer Society
The hypopharynx is behind and on each side of the larynx. The hypopharynx includes the 2 small grooves in the pharyngeal wall ... It starts at the soft palate and goes down to the back (base) of the tongue. The oropharynx ends at the epiglottis (the flap of ... Hypopharynx. The hypopharynx is the lower part of the pharynx. It is also called the laryngopharynx. It starts at the ... The walls of the oropharynx and hypopharynx have muscles that help move food from the mouth to the esophagus. ...
Online Records Review for Cancer Treatment
Our oncologists can offer online second opinions based on your imaging reports and other records. This can help you make an ... HPV-related tonsil and base of tongue. *Pharynx and hypopharynx (throat). *Laryn or voicebox ... or surgical oncologists will review your records and send you a written opinion based on your materials. This service is easy ...
TNM-based stage groupings in head and neck cancer: application in cancer of the hypopharynx. Hall SF, Groome PA, Irish J, ... Population-based utilization of radiation therapy by a Canadian breast cancer cohort. Mittmann N, Seung SJ, Liu N, Porter J, ... A patient-centred approach toward surgical wait times for colon cancer: a population-based analysis. Gillis A, Dixon M, Smith A ... Processes of care and the impact of surgical volumes on cancer-specific survival: a population-based study in bladder cancer. ...
Nasopharynx - definition of nasopharynx by The Free Dictionary
Contrast-enhanced computed tomography (CECT) of the base of skull and nasopharynx showed contrast-enhancing heterogeneous mass ... The airway measurements were horizontally divided into three: nasopharynx, oropharynx, and hypopharynx (Arnett-Gunson FAB ... Metachronous nasopharyngeal carcinoma masquerading as a base of skull metastasis in a case of primary extraskeletal vulvar ... lesion involving the left nasopharynx, sphenoid sinus, and base of skull [Figure 3], without any significant cervical ...
New Baetidae (Insecta: Ephemeroptera) Records from Venezuela and Nymph Description of an Unnamed Fallceon Species
... base of glossa extended, at least, to the half of the base of paraglossa; (5) segment II of labial palp without distomedial ... Hypopharynx (Figure 1(f)), lingua with simple setae distally; superlingua longer than lingua. Maxilla (Figure 1(e)) with crown ... Fallceon sp. V1. (a) antenna; (b) labrum (dorsal view); (c) right mandible; (d) left mandible; (e) maxilla; (f) hypopharynx; (g ... Lugo-Ortiz and McCafferty  transferred three South American species placed in Baetis to Fallceon based on the study of ...
MedStar-Georgetown Cancer Research Network
Paclitaxel and Carboplatin Before Radiation Therapy With Paclitaxel in Treating HPV-Positive Patients With Stage III-IV...
Human Papilloma Virus Infection Stage III Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Hypopharynx Stage III Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the ... Appropriate stage for protocol entry, including no distant metastases, based upon the following minimum diagnostic workup:. * ... Hypopharynx, or Larynx Cancer. The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and ... hypopharynx, or larynx cancer. Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as paclitaxel and carboplatin, work in different ways to stop ...
July 1973 - Volume 52 - Issue 1 : Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
A prospective and randomized series comparing superior and inferior based posterior pharyngeal flaps. Whitaker, L; Randall, P; ... supraglottic larynx and hypopharynx. Barkley, H T Jr.; Fletcher, G H; Jesse, R H; More ... Management of cervical lymph node metastases in squamous cell carcinoma of the tonsillar fossa, base of tongue, ...
The larva of C. elateroides was first described by Rey (1887) based on specimens collected with an adult in the rotten trunk of ... Prementum and hypopharynx forming 5-dentate sclerome; postmentum subquadrate; labial palps 2-segmented with subacute apical ... based on Mamaev 1978; Lawrence 1991; Lawrence et al. 1999a, b; Costa et al. 2003) ... In 1834, he proposed a family group based on Cerophytum, and this was recognized by Lacordaire (1857) who suggested a ...
Lane Search Results - Lane Medical Library - Stanford University School of Medicine
Head and Neck Cancer
pharynx, including the nasopharynx, oropharynx (soft palate, tongue base, tonsils, and adenoids), and hypopharynx; ... However, they occasionally occur due to scar tissue at the tongue base, reduced tongue base posterior motion, stricture or ... Hypopharynx: The incidence of hypopharyngeal cancer is slightly less than 1 per 100,000 persons (American Cancer Society, 2017a ... An additional population-based surveillance study from 1988 to 2004 (Chaturvedi et al., 2011) reported a 225% increase in ...
Nicotine Levels With Response Rates to Radiation Alone or With Chemo In Head & Neck Cancer - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov
Furthermore, volumetric analysis has been associated with a higher rate of concordance to response based upon RECIST criteria. ... Oropharynx Hypopharynx Oral cavity Larynx Measurable disease with no evidence of primary ... Patients to be treated with radiotherapy in combination with platinum based chemotherapy will be considered for enrollment. ... behavior or tobacco use have been correlated to differences in nicotine metabolism resulting in cessation strategies based upon ...
Throat or larynx cancer Information | Mount Sinai - New York
... base of the tongue and tonsils]; and the laryngopharynx [also named hypopharynx], posterior to the larynx. (Source: GreenFacts ... The designation of an agent as being in Group E is based on the available evidence and should not be interpreted as a ... "This group includes agents for which the weight of evidence of human carcinogenicity based on epidemiologic studies is "limited ... are classified in five groups based on the existing scientific evidence for carcinogenicity. ...
Types of head and neck cancers - Macmillan Cancer Support
... the oropharynx and the hypopharynx. The larynx is in front of the hypopharynx. ... It includes the soft part of the roof of the mouth (soft palate), the base or the back of the tongue (the part you cannot see ... Hypopharynx - This is the lower part of the pharynx, behind the voice box. Cancers that develop here are called hypopharyngeal ... The most common places in the oropharynx for cancer to develop are on the tonsils and the base of the tongue. Cancers that ...
Upper Airway Evaluation in Snoring and Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Overview of OSA, Relevant Upper Airway Anatomy, Pathologic...
In the hypopharynx, the base of the tongue is the most influential structure. ... Hypopharynx. Examination of the hypopharynx requires the use of a laryngeal mirror, flexible endoscope, or a magnifying ... The size of the hypopharynx can be decreased because of alterations at the base of the tongue, and the diameter of the ... The hypopharynx is affected by reduction in the width of the pharynx because of obesity, and drainage along the posterior wall ...
Voice Center Research Labs - Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
Office-based and microlaryngeal applications of a fiber-based thulium laser. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2006;115:891-896. ... Endoscopic treatment of supraglottic and hypopharynx cancer.Laryngoscope 1994;104:71-78. ... Office-based treatment of glottal dysplasia and papillomatosis with the 585-nm pulsed dye laser and local anesthesia. Ann Otol ... Office-based 532-nm pulsed KTP laser treatment of glottal papillomatosis and dysplasia. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2006;115:679- ...
NasopharynxPharynxTonsilsCarcinomasPharyngealEsophagusCarcinomaSinusesTumorsSide of the larynxNeckHard palateOesophagusHyoid boneLarynx CancerSkull baseCricoidOropharyngealOralLaryngopharynxInferiorlyMalignanciesSquamous cellsPatientsAnteriorIncidenceEpiglottisUvulaLaryngeal cancerHandbook of Evidence-based Radiation OncologySubsiteSalivary glandsEpidemiologyTobaccoValleculaAirwayMaxillaVocalChemotherapyClinically
- The pharynx is divided into 3 parts called the nasopharynx, oropharynx and hypopharynx. (cancer.ca)
- The base of the skull forms the top of the nasopharynx. (cancer.ca)
- Contrast-enhanced computed tomography (CECT) of the base of skull and nasopharynx showed contrast-enhancing heterogeneous mass lesion involving the left nasopharynx , sphenoid sinus, and base of skull [Figure 3], without any significant cervical lymphadenopathy. (thefreedictionary.com)
- nasopharynx , oropharynx, and hypopharynx (Arnett-Gunson FAB Surgery Analysis) (7). (thefreedictionary.com)
- the nasopharynx, the oropharynx and the hypopharynx. (macmillan.org.uk)
- The structures forming the upper airway are the nose and the pharynx with its 3 divisions (ie, nasopharynx, oropharynx, hypopharynx). (medscape.com)
- The Primary Care Physician should be able to visualize all areas except for the nasopharynx, larynx, and hypopharynx which would require special equipment for direct visualization. (redorbit.com)
- With flexible laryngoscopy, the structures in view include the nasopharynx, oropharynx, and hypopharynx, with a particularly good view of the larynx. (nature.com)
- METHODS: Prospective analysis of 150 patients with newly diagnosed malignancies of nasopharynx, oropharynx, larynx, hypopharynx and ear. (merlot.org)
- Incidence rates declined for cancers of the lip, floor of mouth, soft palate and uvula, hard palate, hypopharynx, and nasopharynx, and were stable for cancers of the cheek and other mouth and salivary gland. (cdc.gov)
- In the back of the mouth and the throat (pharynx), which includes three sections called the nasopharynx, oropharynx, and hypopharynx. (cdc.gov)
- From Jun 2007 to Dec 2010, 47 laser group and 47 placebo patients bearer of head and neck squamous cell carcinomas of nasopharynx, oropharynx and hypopharynx entered a prospective, randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled, phase III trial. (knowcancer.com)
- Those estimates include cancers of the mouth (the inside lining of the lips and cheeks, gums, tongue, and hard and soft palate), nasopharynx, oropharynx, and hypopharynx. (nap.edu)
- The hypopharynx is the lower part of the pharynx. (cancer.ca)
- It is a short passageway in front of the hypopharynx (lower pharynx). (macmillan.org.uk)
- The overall increase was driven by increases in HPV-associated cancers of the tonsil, base of tongue, oropharynx, other oral cavity and pharynx, and the gum and anterior tongue. (cdc.gov)
- Ongoing implementation of proven population-based strategies to prevent tobacco use initiation, promote smoking cessation, reduce excessive alcohol use, and increase HPV vaccination rates might help prevent cancers of the oral cavity and pharynx. (cdc.gov)
- Such cricoid pressure results in the compression of the postcricoid hypopharynx and should prevent gastric regurgitation into the pharynx. (bmj.com)
- The hypopharynx is the part of the throat (pharynx) that lies beside and behind your larynx. (cancer.org)
- in 1986, it has a strong predilection for sites such as base of the tongue, hypo pharynx and supraglotic larynx [ 5 , 8 - 10 ]. (omicsonline.org)
- The oropharynx includes the base of the tongue, tonsils, soft palate and middle part of the pharyngeal wall. (cancer.ca)
- It includes the soft part of the roof of the mouth (soft palate), the base or the back of the tongue (the part you cannot see), the tonsils and the side walls of the throat. (macmillan.org.uk)
- The most common places in the oropharynx for cancer to develop are on the tonsils and the base of the tongue. (macmillan.org.uk)
- Infection with cancer-causing types of human papillomavirus ( HPV ), especially HPV type 16, is a risk factor for some types of head and neck cancers, particularly oropharyngeal cancers that involve the tonsils or the base of the tongue. (rxlist.com)
- Oropharyngeal cancer begins in the oropharynx, the middle part of the throat that includes the soft palate , the base of the tongue , and the tonsils . (bionity.com)
- About 70% of cancers in the oropharynx (which includes the tonsils, soft palate, and base of the tongue) are linked to human papillomavirus (HPV), a common sexually transmitted virus. (cdc.gov)
- The palatine tonsils, found at the posterior aspect of the soft palate, and the lingual tonsils, seen at the base of the tongue anterior to the epiglottis, often enlarge during upper respiratory infections as well. (appliedradiology.com)
- The tongue is located at the anterior margin of the hypopharynx and the lingual tonsils reside at the base of the tongue. (appliedradiology.com)
- The oropharynx includes the posterior third of the tongue (or tongue base), the adjacent pharyngeal walls extending from the soft palate to the epiglottis, the palatine tonsils, the tonsillar fossa, and the vallecula. (ucsd.edu)
- Carcinomas of the larynx and hypopharynx present unique challenges when it comes to their assessment and management. (springer.com)
- This best practice article reviews the published evidence on the pathology and patterns of spread of carcinomas of the hypopharynx, and the relevance of pathological features to prognosis. (bmj.com)
- There is relatively little pathological literature devoted specifically to squamous carcinomas of the hypopharynx and most information comes from large series of patients with head and neck cancers at a range at sites. (bmj.com)
- Carcinomas arising in the hypopharynx are uncommon and are often considered to have a poor prognosis with a propensity to present with advanced primary disease requiring wider resection than carcinomas at other head and neck sites, and with a high risk of nodal metastasis. (bmj.com)
- Primary malignant tumors of the hypopharynx are predominantly squamous cell carcinomas (SqCCs), as primary small-cell carcinoma (SmCC) of the hypopharynx is rare. (spandidos-publications.com)
- The hypopharynx includes the 2 small grooves in the pharyngeal wall on either side of the opening into the larynx (called the piriform sinuses). (cancer.ca)
- The hypopharynx is formed by the right and left piriform sinuses (Latin "pirium" or "pear"), the posterior pharyngeal wall, and the postcricoid oesophagus, 1 each of which is regarded as a subsite of the hypopharynx for diagnostic coding. (bmj.com)
- Oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma refers to cancer of the tonsil, base and posterior one third of the tongue, soft palate, and posterior and lateral pharyngeal walls. (merckmanuals.com)
- The tumor may spread locally to soft palate and pillars, base of tongue, pharyngeal wall and hypopharynx. (wikipedia.org)
- The hypopharynx includes the pyriform sinuses, the posterior pharyngeal wall, and the postcricoid area. (bionity.com)
- Tumors of the hypopharynx frequently have an advanced stage at diagnosis, and have the most adverse prognoses of pharyngeal tumors. (bionity.com)
- The anterior border is formed by the oropharyngeal inlet and the base of the tongue, and the posterior border is formed by the superior and middle pharyngeal constrictor muscles and their overlying mucosa. (medscape.com)
- The walls of the oropharynx and hypopharynx have muscles that help move food from the mouth to the esophagus. (cancer.ca)
- The lower section (Hypopharynx or Laryngopharynx) lies on either side of and behind the larynx and connects to the esophagus. (bccancer.bc.ca)
- The esophagus begins at the lower aspect of the hypopharynx. (appliedradiology.com)
- squamous-cell cancers of the hypopharynx and cervical esophagus are tobacco and alcohol use. (nap.edu)
- The hypopharynx is the entrance into the esophagus (the tube that connects the throat to the stomach). (cancer.org)
- When you swallow foods and liquids, they pass through your mouth and throat, through the hypopharynx and esophagus, and then into your stomach. (cancer.org)
- The hypopharynx is made so that it helps make sure that food goes around the larynx and into the esophagus. (cancer.org)
- Carcinoma of the hypopharynx is a relatively uncommon disease, which has an incidence of less than 1/100 000 of the population, and usually presents in patients aged 60-70 years. (bmj.com)
- Carcinoma of the hypopharynx is an uncommon disease. (nap.edu)
- We herein report a very rare case of combined small‑cell carcinoma (SmCC) of the hypopharynx, with a squamous cell carcinoma (SqCC) element. (spandidos-publications.com)
- In particular, MRI is considered the modality of choice for the evaluation of nasopharyngeal, sinonasal, and parotid tumors, while tumors of the oropharynx, larynx, and hypopharynx are initially assessed with CT. (springer.com)
- Razek AA, Huang BY (2011) Soft tissue tumors of the head and neck: imaging-based review of the WHO classification. (springer.com)
Side of the larynx1
- The hypopharynx is behind and on each side of the larynx. (cancer.ca)
- His areas of interest are head and neck surgery/oncology and surgery of the skull base. (springer.com)
- He is the past President of the Foundation of Head & Neck Oncology and Skull Base Society of India, and has published 200 research papers and textbook chapters. (springer.com)
- His clinical and research interests have been directed towards optimizing outcomes and minimizing the disability following treatment of Head-Neck and Skull Base Lesions. (springer.com)
- Abstracts based on any topic relating to head and neck Imaging of no more than 250 words (excluding title, authors and references) are welcomed. (rsm.ac.uk)
- Medline (1966-2001) was searched using a combination of head and neck neoplasms and prognosis, focusing on hypopharynx and pathology. (bmj.com)
- Published evidence was sought by a search of Medline (1966-2001) for papers referring to a combination of head and neck neoplasms and prognosis, focusing on hypopharynx and pathology. (bmj.com)
- Alcohol and tobacco use (including smokeless tobacco , sometimes called ' chewing tobacco ' or ' snuff ') are the two most important risk factors for head and neck cancers, especially cancers of the oral cavity, oropharynx, hypopharynx, and larynx. (rxlist.com)
- The oral and oropharyngeal surfaces, including the base of tongue, should be digitally palpated in addition to the neck mass. (redorbit.com)
- In particular, cancers of the oral cavity, oropharynx, hypopharynx, and supraglottis are the most likely sites to have neck disease at presentation. (medscape.com)
- Treatment and prognosis is based on what type of head and neck cancer is present and what stage it is. (rockymountaincancercenters.com)
- A contrast-enhanced CT of the soft tissue of the neck revealed a well-defined, oblong soft tissue 1.7 × 2.7 × 3.9 cm mass arising from the right aryepiglottic region and narrowing the hypopharynx, (Figures 1-3). (appliedradiology.com)
- Remember to lift in a manner that avoids over-extension of the neck, otherwise you will push the base of tongue and epiglottis backward, limiting mouth opening and decreasing the hypopharyngeal space. (epmonthly.com)
- Head and Neck Vascular Anomalies: A Practical Case-Based Approach offers a focused, multidisciplinary guide to the management of simple and complex vascular lesions based on type and location, with specific treatment suggestions using clinical and scientific evidence. (pluralpublishing.com)
- With the increasing number of vascular anomaly centers emerging, along with the recent advancements in the field, Head and Neck Vascular Anomalies: A Practical Case-Based Approach is the ideal resource for physicians. (pluralpublishing.com)
- We designed Head and Neck Vascular Anomalies: A Practical Case-Based Approach'with the goal to provide hands-on, step-by-step, management algorithms for specific vascular anomalies of the head and neck encountered in daily practice. (pluralpublishing.com)
- All cases are based upon current literature with the aim to give state-of-the-art information on the majority of head and neck vascular anomalies. (pluralpublishing.com)
- Hypopharynx cancer is a type of head and neck cancer treated with a multidisciplinary approach. (ieo.it)
- At IEO hypopharynx cancer is treated by the Head and Neck Division. (ieo.it)
- Additionally, Dr. Thomas participates in numerous professional organizations, includin g theAmerican Academy of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, The American College of Surgeons, the American Head & Neck Society, North American Skull Base Society, and Society of Robotic Surgery. (sylvester.org)
- The orocavity includes the anterior two thirds of the tongue (which is separated from the tongue base by the circumvallate papillae), the hard palate, the mylohyoid (which forms the floor of the mouth) muscle, and the buccal mucosa. (ucsd.edu)
- The hypopharynx is continued inferiorly with the cervical oesophagus and is situated post-laterally to the larynx with which it has a close relationship, enfolding almost 180° of it. (ieo.it)
- The borders of the hypopharynx are the hyoid bone superiorly and the upper esophageal sphincter (UES), or cricopharyngeus muscle, inferiorly. (medscape.com)
- Anatomically, the hypopharynx extends from the plane of the hyoid bone above to the plane of the inferior border of the cricoid cartilage below. (uncmedicalcenter.org)
- This phase II trial studies how well paclitaxel and carboplatin before radiation therapy with paclitaxel works in treating human papillomavirus (HPV)-positive patients with stage III-IV oropharynx, hypopharynx, or larynx cancer. (clinicaltrials.gov)
- He has been instrumental in the development of trans-oral laser surgery, as well as voice conserving oncosurgery, minimally invasive skull base surgery, and techniques for rehabilitation of facial nerve and lower cranial nerve lesions. (springer.com)
- 12. Skull base. (powells.com)
- However, dysfunction is more frequent and severe for patients in whom the spinal accessory nerve is either resected or extensively dissected along its length from the skull base to the trapezius muscles. (medscape.com)
- While the axial plane is familiar to most who do CT, the coronal plane is extremely beneficial with MR, as it provides a vertical perspective from as far as the skull base to as low as the thoracic inlet. (ucsd.edu)
- The posterior surface of the arytenoid cartilages and the posterior plate of the cricoid cartilage complete the anteroinferior border of the hypopharynx. (medscape.com)
- and the nasal cavities, the oropharyngeal inlet, and the base of the tongue anteriorly. (medscape.com)
- However, as sometimes happens during this oral preparatory phase, some of the bolus leaks or falls into the hypopharynx. (nature.com)
- Yet, there are currently no guidelines for screening, treatment, or follow-up of patients with oral cancer precursor lesions due to several gaps in the current knowledge base. (nih.gov)
- Fluids in the oral cavity in the supine patient will pool in the hypopharynx. (epmonthly.com)
- and the laryngopharynx [also named hypopharynx ], posterior to the larynx. (greenfacts.org)
- It extends superiorly to the base of the skull and inferiorly to the mediastinum at the level of the tracheal bifurcation (see anatomy figure in Image 1). (yahoo.com)
- Inferiorly, the posterior one third of the tongue, or the base of the tongue, continues the anterior border of the oropharynx. (medscape.com)
- We are aware of no studies to date that have specifically addressed the prognostic effect of quantitative nodal burden in larynx or hypopharynx malignancies. (multibriefs.com)
- Pembrolizumab was granted an accelerated approval in August 2016 as a treatment for patients with recurrent or metastatic HNSCC following progression on a platinum-based chemotherapy. (onclive.com)
- A grading system for patients with obstructive sleep apnoea--based on sleep nasendoscopy. (medscape.com)
- Increasing effort has been directed toward developing molecular targeted therapies or searching for molecular markers that are useful either in predicting treatment outcome or in selecting patients for specific molecular targeted therapies based on particular tumor characteristics. (aacrjournals.org)
- The anterior boundary of the hypopharynx consists largely of the laryngeal inlet, which includes the epiglottis and the paired aryepiglottic folds and arytenoid cartilages. (medscape.com)
- Meso- and metaterga, each bearing at its apex a pair of glandular papillae arising together from a single base and aligned longitudinally, with one anterior to the other. (tolweb.org)
- 4 The incidence of liposarcoma in the hypopharynx is not well-reported in the literature, with less than 40 cases reported, almost all of which are well-differentiated liposarcoma. (appliedradiology.com)
- The vallecula, which is the space between the base of the tongue and the epiglottis, forms the inferior border of the oropharynx. (medscape.com)
- Cancer that starts in the larynx (laryngeal cancer) is treated based on which section it starts in. (cancer.org)
Handbook of Evidence-based Radiation Oncology2
- Building on the success of this book's first edition, Dr. Eric Hansen and Dr. Mack Roach have updated, revised, and expanded the Handbook of Evidence-based Radiation Oncology, a portable reference that utilizes evidence-based medicine as the basis for practical treatment recommendations and guidelines. (springer.com)
- The Third Edition of Handbook of Evidence-Based Radiation Oncology updates and revises the previous successful editions and serves as a key reference for radiation oncology professionals. (springer.com)
- Some parts of the larynx and hypopharynx have tiny glands called minor salivary glands beneath their lining layer. (cancer.org)
- U.S. Cancer Statistics includes population-based cancer registry data from CDC's National Program of Cancer Registries and the National Cancer Institute's Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) program. (cdc.gov)
- Consequently, differences in smoking behavior or tobacco use have been correlated to differences in nicotine metabolism resulting in cessation strategies based upon tobacco use, nicotine dependence, and behavioral modification. (clinicaltrials.gov)
- Base of the tongue, vallecula. (tripod.com)
- The upper airway begins at the entrance of the nose and continues to the hypopharynx. (medscape.com)
- Mouthparts are generalized, consisting of five recognizable segments: a clypeo-labral complex, mandibles, possible hypopharynx, a maxilla bearing indistinct palp-like appendages, and labium. (biomedcentral.com)
- See Risk Factors for Laryngeal and Hypopharyngeal Cancers ) Most pre-cancers of the larynx and hypopharynx do not cause problems unless they're on the vocal cord(s). (cancer.org)
- Clinically, cancers of the hypopharynx tend to be aggressive and demonstrate a natural history that is characterized by diffuse local spread, early metastasis, and a relatively high rate of distant spread. (uncmedicalcenter.org)