A genus (formerly part of Rhus genus) of shrubs, vines, or trees that yields a highly allergenic oleoresin which causes a severe contact dermatitis (DERMATITIS, TOXICODENDRON). The most toxic species are Toxicodendron vernix (poison sumac), T. diversilobum (poison oak), and T. radicans (poison ivy). T. vernicifera yields a useful varnish from which certain enzymes (laccases) are obtained.
A refractive error in which rays of light entering the EYE parallel to the optic axis are brought to a focus in front of the RETINA when accommodation (ACCOMMODATION, OCULAR) is relaxed. This results from an overly curved CORNEA or from the eyeball being too long from front to back. It is also called nearsightedness.
The application of drug preparations to the surfaces of the body, especially the skin (ADMINISTRATION, CUTANEOUS) or mucous membranes. This method of treatment is used to avoid systemic side effects when high doses are required at a localized area or as an alternative systemic administration route, to avoid hepatic processing for example.
A process of preserving animal hides by chemical treatment (using vegetable tannins, metallic sulfates, and sulfurized phenol compounds, or syntans) to make them immune to bacterial attack, and subsequent treatments with fats and greases to make them pliable. (McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, 5th ed)
A state in southeastern Australia, the southernmost state. Its capital is Melbourne. It was discovered in 1770 by Captain Cook and first settled by immigrants from Tasmania. In 1851 it was separated from New South Wales as a separate colony. Self-government was introduced in 1851; it became a state in 1901. It was named for Queen Victoria in 1851. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p1295 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, p574)
Interior Design and Furnishings
Substances which are of little or no therapeutic value, but are necessary in the manufacture, compounding, storage, etc., of pharmaceutical preparations or drug dosage forms. They include SOLVENTS, diluting agents, and suspending agents, and emulsifying agents. Also, ANTIOXIDANTS; PRESERVATIVES, PHARMACEUTICAL; COLORING AGENTS; FLAVORING AGENTS; VEHICLES; EXCIPIENTS; OINTMENT BASES.
Indians, Central American
An ancient city, the site of modern Istanbul. From the 4th to 15th centuries the empire extended from southeastern Europe to western Asia, reaching its greatest extent under Justinian (527-565). By about 1000 A.D. it comprised the southern Balkans, Greece, Asia Minor, and parts of southern Italy. The capture of Constantinople in 1453 marked the formal end of the Byzantine Empire. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988)
Molecular Sequence Data
Descriptions of specific amino acid, carbohydrate, or nucleotide sequences which have appeared in the published literature and/or are deposited in and maintained by databanks such as GENBANK, European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), National Biomedical Research Foundation (NBRF), or other sequence repositories.
The interchange of goods or commodities, especially on a large scale, between different countries or between populations within the same country. It includes trade (the buying, selling, or exchanging of commodities, whether wholesale or retail) and business (the purchase and sale of goods to make a profit). (From Random House Unabridged Dictionary, 2d ed, p411, p2005 & p283)
Missions and Missionaries
Medical Missions, Official
Age as a constituent element or influence contributing to the production of a result. It may be applicable to the cause or the effect of a circumstance. It is used with human or animal concepts but should be differentiated from AGING, a physiological process, and TIME FACTORS which refers only to the passage of time.
Bronze, gold and silver, rhinoceros horn, Chinese silk, ivory, lacquer and carved lacquer, cloisonne enamel and many other ... This artistic landscape scene was made by the repeated impression of standard stamps on the clay while it was still soft and ... Many of the lacquer objects are finely painted, red on black or black on red. A site in Changsha, Hunan province, has revealed ... Traditional painting was also done in albums, on walls, lacquer work, and in other media. Dong Yuan was an active painter in ...
He is considered the last great proponent of this artistic tradition. Sekka also worked in lacquer and in a variety of other ... Kamisaka Sekka (神坂 雪佳, 1866-1942) was an important artistic figure in early twentieth-century Japan. Born in Kyoto to a Samurai ... Japan implemented policies to promote the country's unique artistic style by upgrading the status of traditional artists who ...
In the 18th century colored lacquers came into wider use. With the development of economy and culture, the artistic quality of ... "lacquer coating." The terms related to lacquer or lacquerware such as "Japanning", "Urushiol" and "maque" which means lacquer ... However, many Japanese lacquer craftsmen did not adopt the Chinese method of depositing lacquer and then carving it; instead, ... He placed lacquer panels in frames, imitating Western oil paintings. Other notable lacquer artists of the 19th century include ...
In the 18th century colored lacquers came into wider use. With the development of economy and culture, the artistic quality of ... Carved lacquer and Lacquered sculpture Kanagawa Prefectural Museum of Cultural History "AN IMPERIAL GOLD-LACQUERED INCENSE ... Primitive lacquer was used in Japan as early as 12,600 BC, during the Jōmon period. Lacquer was used in Japan as early as 7000 ... Museum of Lacquer Art Münster Museum für Lackkunst in Germany The Craft and Care of East Asian Lacquer by Denver Art Museum ...
Cong Kim Hoa
Her brother Công Quốc Hà is a lacquer painter. Shireen Naziree: Cong Kim Hoa - Lacquer Paintings. Thailand, 2006 with 50 color ... Hoa comes from an artistic family and her parents Cong Ton Toan and Dinh Thi Lieu in Hanoi. ...
Trần Quang Trân
None of the lacquer paintings that made him quite well known at the time still exist nowadays. His well-known painting, "The ... He is thus one of the founders of Vietnamese artistic tradition. Tran Quang Tran has been credited as one of the first artist ... Trần Quang Trân, also Tran Quang Tran, (1900-1969) was a lacquer artist and a Vietnamese painter. He is one of the first ... This painting is said to have inspired the master of Vietnamese lacquer Nguyễn Gia Trí. It belonged to the collection of the ...
Japanese bamboo weaving
Bamboo, lacquer, and gold hiramaki-e. Edo period, second half of 19th century Hanging flower basket (kake-hanakago) in the ... Masters of Bamboo: Artistic Lineages in the Lloyd Cotsen Japanese Basket Collection. Asian Art Museum, San Francisco. pg. 16. ... Masters of Bamboo: Artistic Lineages in the Lloyd Cotsen Japanese Basket Collection. Asian Art Museum, San Francisco. pg. 24. ... Masters of Bamboo: Artistic Lineages in the Lloyd Cotsen Japanese Basket Collection. Asian Art Museum, San Francisco. pg. 25. ...
His real name was Kitaōji Fusajirō (北大路 房次郎), but he is best known by his artistic name, Rosanjin. A man of many talents, ... Rosanjin was also a calligrapher, ceramicist, engraver, painter, lacquer artist and restaurateur. Rosanjin was born in what is ...
List of Brown University statues
Over the years, the statue was painted with lacquer, masking much of the artistic detail of the bear. It was recently restored ...
Gorbachev's artistic career has flourished in New York City and he has had solo exhibits all over the United States and Europe ... His use of lacquer and glazing techniques in his paintings exhibit his classic training and mastery of ceramics. ... For the past twenty years Gorbachev has traveled extensively; his artistic development moved from his naive style to his most ... He uses a sophisticated technique with precious metals like gold and copper along with specially formulated lacquers over oil ...
Artists create unique cultural and artistic content on the instrument. Decorations include carved art, carved lacquer, straw, ...
A rather artistic manufacturing industry which also flourished here alongside heavy industry was Japanning, a type of lacquer ... Allgood developed the Pontypool 'japanning' process, whereby metal plate could be treated in a way that generated a lacquered ... There was a growing demand for these artistic, luxury products and Allgood's sons, Edward and Thomas, established a japanworks ...
The artistic decoration of ō-yoroi reached its peak around the time of the Genpei War at the end of the Heian period. At the ... Mengu, various types of lacquered metal and or leather facial armour designed in a way that the top heavy helmet kabuto could ... Antique Japanese samurai Edo period kusazuri, lacquered iron or leather panels which hang from the bottom of the chest armor ... Japanese armour makers started to use leather (nerigawa), and lacquer was used to weatherproof the armour parts. Leather and or ...
Handcrafts and folk art in Michoacán
... lacquer and wood working. The state has abundant natural resources as well as cultural and artistic traditions, a tendency to ... The gold-painted lacquer pieces begin by cleaning the surface with a mixture of gasoline and manganese and repairing any chips ... Lacquering mostly developed in the state during the colonial period in Uruapan, Patzcuaro and Quiroga. Over time, variations in ... A base is applied and then layers of lacquer are applied until the surface is smooth and shiny. The most common base colors are ...
The Garden Hotel, Guangzhou
The hotel lobby is adorned with cultural and artistic features of both Chinese and Western styles. There is a gold-foil marble ... a white marble mural depicts the social custom of the Lingnan culture and black lacquer pictures. Featured with Lingnan garden ...
Some of the factory craftsmen had artistic education, and many of them had come from icon-painting studios. In 1931 the opening ... Stylistically the Fedoskino factory is distinct from the other schools of miniature lacquer painting: notably those of Palekh, ... Fedoskino miniature (Russian: федоскинская миниатюра) is a traditional Russian lacquer miniature painting on papier-mache, ... superb artistic skill' at the All Union Exhibition of Agricultural, Industrial and Cultural Products; which was held in Moscow ...
Sophie and Harwood Steiger
His artistic style drew on the social mores and themes of the era. Like Thomas Hart Benton, who also summered on Marta's ... Harwood chose the silkscreen dye and would cut the designs into lacquer films. The stencils were placed on the silk screens and ... She came from the country, with an artistic curiosity about botanicals and herbs. Her art reflected this interest - plants and ... The climate, history, and landscape reshaped their artistic interests. They also developed an interest in the technique of ...
Kholuy, Ivanovo Oblast
Kholuy's area of specialty in the artistic sphere revolves around the painting of lacquered boxes, made from papier mache ( ... At least since the 17th century, Kholuy has been a producer of lacquer boxes, plates, and other painted items that this region ... Its economy is based on textile production, sewing, forestry, woodworking, baked goods, agriculture, and artistic handicrafts. ... giving the area a kind of legitimacy in the cultural and artistic world. The style of icon painting in Kholuy is particular to ...
Lacquer is painted on with a brush and is cured in a warm and humid environment. Artistic application and decoration of lacquer ... Lacquer is a very strong adhesive. The leaves, seeds, and the resin of the Chinese lacquer tree are sometimes used in Chinese ... Products coated with lacquer are recognizable by an extremely durable and glossy finish. Lacquer has many uses; some common ... Sap, containing urushiol (an allergenic irritant), is tapped from the trunk of the Chinese lacquer tree to produce lacquer. ...
History of Asian art
Currently, Vietnamese lacquer paintings have proven to be quite popular. The Nguyễn dynasty, the last ruling dynasty of Vietnam ... A rich artistic heritage that dates to prehistoric times and includes: silk painting, sculpture, pottery, ceramics, woodblock ... Beginning in the 19th century, modern art and French artistic influences spread into Vietnam. In the early 20th century, the ... The country has experienced a recent artistic revival due to increased support from governments, NGOs, and foreign tourists. ...
Carved lacquer furniture was at first only affordable by the imperial family or the extremely rich, but by the 19th century was ... Characterized by the adoptation of Baroque and Rococo artistic styles, use of native timbers in the Lingnan region, and the ... Lacquer inlaid with mother of pearl was especially a technique used on furniture. Chinese furniture is usually light where ... Use of thick lacquer finish and detailed engraving and painted decoration as well as pragmatic design elements would continue ...
... began his artistic career before World War I. He produced several works in 1908 and 1909. Early on, he showed ... Works of Marcel Wolfers lacquer with gold powder Wolfers Philippe et Marcel. De l'art nouveau à l'art déco. Brussels: Musées ... Marcel Wolfers was born into a talented artistic family in Brussels. His grandfather Louis Wolfers (1820-92) and father ... most of his interest in ceramics and began experimenting with lacquers and their ability to produce brilliant colors. At the ...
List of National Treasures of Japan (crafts: others)
Generally several layers of lacquer are applied. The lacquer is then decorated with a variety of methods. In the maki-e ... Often the articles were decorated using a variety of artistic techniques like gilding of precious metals, line engraving, maki- ... They were generally lacquered to protect them from the humid climate and were used widely from the late Heian period to the mid ... Three Japanese style lacquered wooden saddles and a complete set of a Chinese style ritual saddle, dating to the late Heian and ...
... , also known as Seoye (Korean: 서예; Hanja: 書藝), is the Korean tradition of artistic writing. Calligraphy in ... lacquer, and branding irons. Even after the invention of the Korean alphabet Hangul in 1443, Korean calligraphers preferred ...
Bronze and brass ornamental work
Centres of artistic energy shift from one place to another owing to wars, conquests or migrations. Leaving alone remote ... but this was doubtless a protective lacquer; and a 4th-century inscription from Chios records the regulations made there for ... The city of Dinant gave its name to the French term for all types of artistic copper and brass work: dinanderie (see also ... A great outburst of artistic energy is seen from the beginning of the 17th century, when works in ormolu or gilt bronze were ...
As Duval-Carrié explained his artistic motivations for a Miami art gallery: I have tried to analyze the historical context of ... He operates in a variety of media: altarpieces, lacquered tiles, and reliquaries in addition to painting and sculpture. ...
... and Artistic Production Workshops of the Artistic Fund of the USSR (since 1953). The technology of making a semi-finished ... Palekh Russian lacquer art on papier-mâché first appeared in 1923 in the village of Palekh, located in the Palekhsky District ( ... Nowadays there are workshops of the Artistic Fund of Russia, as well as small private studios and independent artists in Palekh ... but clearly distinct artistic style. The art of miniature painting is still alive today. ...
Chinese art by medium and technique
... when the sophisticated techniques used in the lacquer process were first developed, and it became a highly artistic craft. ... Carved lacquer tray with roses, Yuan dynasty, 16 cm across Chinese mother of pearl lacquer box with peony decor, Ming dynasty, ... The earliest extant lacquer object, a red wooden bowl, was unearthed at a Hemudu culture (c. 5000-4500 BCE) site. By the Han ... The knowledge of the Chinese methods focusing on the lacquer process spread from China during the Han, Tang, and Song dynasties ...
Buhari was also responsible for painting distinct landscapes on lacquer book covers. All of Buhari's works were duly signed and ... which ultimately created a strong connection to artistic Western contemporaries. Along with others, Buhari's style of art was ...
... the artistic quality of lacquered furniture has improved. Hon'ami Kōetsu and Ogata Kōrin brought the designs of the Rinpa ... crafted of dry lacquer (cloth dipped in lacquer and shaped over a wooden armature); the Kaidanin (戒壇院, Ordination Hall) with ... Many artistic new Japanese gardens were built by Jihei Ogawa. The first response of the Japanese to Western art forms was open- ... Lacquer from Japanese workshops was recognised as technically superior to what could be produced anywhere else in the world. At ...
They can also be seen as an improvement on nature; one from which the light of human artistic genius shines." ... Some gardens have brightly painted or lacquered bridges, which give a lighthearted feeling to the garden. ...
Artistic distinctions. This section relies largely or entirely on a single source. Relevant discussion may be found on ... Important finds at the site included a lacquer bowl, glass beads, and three TLV mirrors. Archaeologists from this project ...
... and black lacquered wooden clogs known as asagutsu. The outer garment worn by a priest, usually colored black, red, or ... An artistic depiction of the kami Inari appearing to a man. Shinto is polytheistic, involving the veneration of many deities ...
On the lacquered ceiling of the throne, studded with jewels, are foliage patterns accompanied by the depiction of the fight of ... Since the sultans rarely appeared in public, and to respect Islamic sensitivity to artistic depictions of people, the earlier ... Their design is of a high artistic level but the execution is of minor quality compared to 16th-century tiles, and the paint on ...
Lacquer cuts result in an immediately playable, or processable, master record. If vinyl pressings are wanted, the still- ... Where old disc recordings are considered to be of artistic or historic interest, from before the era of tape or where no tape ... In this way, several million vinyl discs can be produced from a single lacquer sound disc. When only a few hundred discs are ... Early versions of these master discs were soft wax, and later a harder lacquer was used. The mastering process was originally ...
List of National Treasures of Japan (sculptures)
lacquerDry lacquer (乾漆, kanshitsu), Gold leaf over lacquer (漆箔, shippaku) thousand armed kannonSeated Thousand-armed Kannon ... "especially high historical or artistic value". This list presents 136 entries of sculptures, including those from ... lacquerHollow dry lacquer (脱活乾漆造, dakkatsu kanshitsu zukuri), colored, gold leaf over lacquer (shippaku (漆箔)) nioStanding pair ... lacquerHollow dry lacquer (脱活乾漆造, dakkatsu kanshitsu zukuri), gold leaf over lacquer (shippaku (漆箔)) yakushi nyoraiSeated ...
Connoisseurship in the late Ming period centered on these items of refined artistic taste, which provided work for art dealers ... A Ming dynasty red "seal paste box" in carved lacquer.. Map of Beijing in Ming Dynasty ...
... metal work and lacquer work, which flourished during his reign; a substantial part of his collection is in the Percival David ... and the Qianlong Emperor used it in order to link his name both physically and intellectually with ancient artistic tradition." ...
Sistine Chapel ceiling
Michelangelo was the artistic heir to the great 15th-century sculptors and painters of Florence. He learned his trade first ... Known examples are actually of lacquered and gilt wood. Each is decorated with a picture drawn from the Old Testament or the ... Section References Michelangelo's depiction of the Genealogy of Jesus departs from an artistic tradition for this topic that ... Michelangelo, more even than Raphael or Leonardo, embodies a standard of artistic genius which reveals a radically changed ...
Although the company was sold to Shiseido in 2000, Nars remains as artistic director, in-house photographer, and copywriter ... full vinyl lip lacquer, and nail polish. ...
Artistic works. Film-making. Main article: Norodom Sihanouk filmography. Sihanouk produced about 50 films ... a small packaged lacquer gift fitted with a parcel bomb was delivered to the royal palace. Norodom Vakrivan, the chief of ... similarly commented in 2006 that his films lacked artistic qualities. ...
Some are inlaid with lacquer designs in a process known as maki-e. Avid communities of pen enthusiasts collect and use ... Fountain pens can serve various artistic purposes such as expressive penmanship and calligraphy, pen and ink artwork, and ...
Lacquer is a solvent-based paint or varnish that produces an especially hard, durable finish. Usually it is a rapidly drying ... A glaze is an additive used with paint to slow drying time and increase translucency, as in faux painting and for some artistic ... Classic nitrocellulose lacquers fall into this category, as do non-grain raising stains composed of dyes dissolved in solvent. ... Paints that dry by solvent evaporation and contain the solid binder dissolved in a solvent are known as lacquers. A solid film ...
See also: Russian lacquer art. Matryoshka doll is a Russian nesting doll. A set of Matryoshka dolls consist of a wooden figure ... 1960s and 1970s saw a greater variety of artistic styles in the Soviet cinema. Eldar Ryazanov's and Leonid Gaidai's comedies of ... Apart from expounding on the artistic value of folklore, he stressed that traditional legends and fairy tales showed ideal, ... Formalism focused on the artistic form of ancient byliny and faerie tales, specifically their use of distinctive structures and ...
Intangible Cultural Property (Japan)
Sequential lacquering technique with four main phases: substrate, priming, intermediate coating, and top coating. 1974. ... of high historical or artistic value such as drama, music, and craft techniques. The term refers exclusively to human skills ... Incised and filled with gold leaf or powder applied over wet lacquer; popular in China from the Song dynasty and particularly ... A mixture of burned diatomaceous earth, rice paste, and lacquer is used for the layers of undercoat; the earliest example, the ...
Early artistic representations of Mary Magdalene usually depict her as having long flowing red hair, although a description of ... Dutch taste dictated a new style of export lacquer known as 'komo shikki' ('red hair' - a common term for Northern Europeans), ... in which elaborate gold-lacquer decoration replaced the complex inlays of Nanban ware.. ... "Japanning for southern barbarians: Some of the first items traded with the West were decorated with maki-e lacquer". Japan ...
Artistic usesEdit. *India ink is also used in commonly-used artist pens, such as Faber-Castell's fiber tipped Pitt pens. ... wrote was as lustrous as lacquer and was superior to pine soot ink. ...
A good example of this ostentatious architecture is the Kinkaku-ji in Kyōto, which is decorated with lacquer and gold leaf, in ... These architects were worried about the reliance on historical styles and decoration and instead encouraged artistic expression ...
In 2004 Spratt described his artistic endeavor in the following way: "It seemed I was seeking a way to put paint in the service ... at the San Jose Museum of Art featured several of Spratt's large lacquer-on-aluminum paintings that make direct reference to ... "San Jose Museum of Art , Artistic Pioneers , 20th Century Vanguard , Arts , Silicon Valley". www.metroactive.com. Retrieved ... all of which are characterized by their flat application of acrylic lacquer onto aluminum. ...
History of painting
The artistic philosophy that formed a basis for the group's work is known as neoplasticism - the new plastic art (or Nieuwe ... Beyond ink and color on silk or paper scrolls, gold on lacquer was also a common medium in painted East Asian artwork. Although ... De Stijl also known as neoplasticism, was a Dutch artistic movement founded in 1917. The term De Stijl is used to refer to a ... Through them, artistic movements such as Impressionism, Cubism, Fauvism, Post-impressionism grew and thrived in China, only ...
The period also saw the arrival of Chinoiserie, often in the form of lacquered and gilded commodes, called falcon de Chine of ... In 1750 she sent her brother, Abel-François Poisson de Vandières, on a two-year mission to study artistic and archeological ... Other craftsmen imitated the Japanese art of lacquered furniture, and produced commodes with Japanese motifs. Desk for the ... lacquered wood in the Japanese style, ornament of gilded bronze, and marble tops of commodes or tables. The intent was to ...
... describes lacquers decorated in the Portuguese style, which were very popular items from the late 16th century (See example at ... also report Japanese blades and swords in general as good quality weapons with a notable artistic value. Ever since 1514 that ... lacquer and lacquerware or weapons (as purely exotic items to be displayed in Europe). Japanese lacquerware attracted European ...
Lisa Walker (jeweller)
... lacquer and fabric. Art historian Dionea Rocha-Watt observes that Walker 'may have abandoned some traditional skills but is ... use of readymades shift the value of the work away from craftsmanship-even though that is important as well-toward an artistic ...
National List for Intangible Cultural Heritage
Pena is an indispensable part of Meitei society . Sankirtan, is the artistic manifestation of Manipuri worship. To the ... Lacquered turned wood furniture of Sankheda Jangam Gāyan: Jangam Gāyan is a narrative sung by the Jangam community. It is ...
The best lacquer technique from the end of the Edo period to the Meiji period, especially the inro technique, was almost lost ... As the technique developed from the late Edo period to the Meiji period (1868-1912) and the artistic value of inro increased, ... However, in 1985 lacquer craftsman Tatsuo Kitamura (北村辰夫) set up his own studio "Unryuan" (雲龍庵) and succeeded in recreating ... His lacquer works are collected in the Victoria and Albert Museum and the 21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art, Kanazawa, ...
Handicrafts remain important in the rural areas, and the city is famous for its lacquer and wood products. Its GDP was ¥75,614 ... artistic gymnast who represented China at the London 2012 Olympic Games Eugene A. Coffin, (1888-1972), rear admiral in the ...
Moving with his family to Suzhou (蘇州), Qiu Ying was apprenticed as a lacquer artisan. Despite his family's humble origins, he ... copy and learn from Song and Yuan dynasty paintings in the collections of the Jiangnan area and greatly broadening his artistic ...
... the sophisticated techniques used in the lacquer process were first developed and it became a highly artistic craft, although ... "Safety Data Sheet Acrylic Lacquer". "lacquer - Origin and meaning of lacquer by Online Etymology Dictionary". Etymonline.com. ... The basic unprocessed lacquer is called raw lacquer (生漆: ki-urushi in Japanese, shengqi in Chinese). This is directly from the ... In the lacquering of the Chinese musical instrument, the guqin, the lacquer is mixed with deer horn powder (or ceramic powder) ...
Some observations on the composition of Chinese lacquer | International Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic...
Some observations on the composition of Chinese lacquer. Publication Type:. Journal Article ... The International Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works. 3 Birdcage Walk. Westminster. London, SW1H 9JJ. UK ... Paul Getty Museum and Getty Conservation Institute with regard to the organic constituents of Chinese lacquer formulations. ... significant new insights into the methods and materials of Chinese lacquer are sure to follow. ...
Chinese art - Wikipedia
Bronze, gold and silver, rhinoceros horn, Chinese silk, ivory, lacquer and carved lacquer, cloisonne enamel and many other ... This artistic landscape scene was made by the repeated impression of standard stamps on the clay while it was still soft and ... Many of the lacquer objects are finely painted, red on black or black on red. A site in Changsha, Hunan province, has revealed ... Traditional painting was also done in albums, on walls, lacquer work, and in other media. Dong Yuan was an active painter in ...
Artistic Krystal Microban Antimicrobial Desk Pad 22 Width x 17 Depth Polyvinyl Chloride PVC Clear by Office Depot & OfficeMax
The Magic of Decoupage | Martha Stewart
What looks like lacquer is just a few coats of clear varnish. And what begins as an unremarkable piece of furniture becomes a ... Decoupage is artistic sleight of hand. What appears to be a painted design is actually paper, glued in place. ... Decoupage is artistic sleight of hand. What appears to be a painted design is actually paper, glued in place. What looks like ... The technique was called lacca povera, or "poor mans lacquer.". A similar process, using flowers and other sentimental motifs ...
Kamisaka Sekka - Wikipedia
He is considered the last great proponent of this artistic tradition. Sekka also worked in lacquer and in a variety of other ... Kamisaka Sekka (神坂 雪佳, 1866-1942) was an important artistic figure in early twentieth-century Japan. Born in Kyoto to a Samurai ... Japan implemented policies to promote the countrys unique artistic style by upgrading the status of traditional artists who ...
FLEMISH TAPESTRIES FOR TWO HABSBURG WOME.pdf | House Of Habsburg | Portugal
Artistic Enterprise and Spanish Patronage: The Art Mar- sive items. pp. and. äs she did in 1564 when he supplied her with high- ... a lacquer table from China. ed. versed in several languages. sels in 1551. Ribot Garcia. CSIC. upon whom shc played an ... 147: «if rs que no dito dia despemdeo para se vestir huä escraoa que ha sawy in artistic. 53-58. traveling by post through ... Their artistic relationship and exchange. op.stries consult the recent exhibition catalogucs: Kaiser queens preference for ...
55 Chinese Ethnic Minorities: Culture and Distribution, Food, Clothes
It's a Drugstore Jamboree! Milani Releases New Powder Eyeshadow Palettes, Baked Eyeshadows, Mascaras and Nail Lacquers for...
EYESHADOW PALETTE (SRP $8.49) seven artistic colors in one convenient compact. Buildable, silk-like powder eyeshadow in matte ... Its a Drugstore Jamboree! Milani Releases New Powder Eyeshadow Palettes, Baked Eyeshadows, Mascaras and Nail Lacquers for ... Its a Drugstore Jamboree! Milani Releases New Powder Eyeshadow Palettes, Baked Eyeshadows, Mascaras and Nail Lacquers for ...
Asian Lacquer Symposium
... degradation and different technical processing of lacquers will be presented to complement the other artistic, conservation and ... Showcasing these lacquer objects will allow attendees to appreciate and learn more of the art and craft of Asian lacquer.. For ... Asian Lacquer Symposium Dinner- $60. May 22, 2013 from 6-9pm. - Asian Lacquer Symposium TOUR: Frank Lloyd Wrights Darwin D. ... Asian Lacquer Symposium TOUR: H.H. Richardson Olmsted Complex- $15. May 23, 2013, evening. - Asian Lacquer Symposium TOUR: ...
Tuesday, February 28 - Arizona's Family
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Japan
Artistic bronzes, lacquers, porcelains, and paper are still among the riches and glories of this country. Nevertheless, ... At the end of the fifteenth century all Japanese painting belonged more or less to these two artistic sources, Tosa and Kano. ... Sculpture, engraving, carving, bronze, lacquer-work, enamels, metal-work, alloy, are the principle branches in which the ... from Confucianism a certain literary and artistic culture and the social culture called "the five relations of men among ...
Dermelect Releases Their 'ME' Holiday Lacquer Collection Infused with Benefits | Nailpro
Holiday Lacquer Collection is infused with protein-peptide technology. ... Artistic Nail Design Launches Colour It Forward Campaign and Lower Pricing. With the current global state, Artistic Nail Design ... All six lacquers-Halo Chrome Rose Gold Magmatized Fiery Red, Decadence Metallic Espresso, Nobodys Fool Chrome Marigold, Gilded ... Featuring six holiday-hued polishes, the Dermelect 2018 ME Holiday Lacquer Collection is infused with protein-peptide ...
A Gorgeous Swiss Army Knife? An Old Tool Gets a New Look
Christian Louboutin Nail Products - ShopStyle
This glossy lacquer is housed in a cool, spike-tipped crystalline bottle complete with a patented triangular brush for the ... The weight and taper are inspired by calligraphy and paint brushes, enabling the application to be a truly artistic experience ... Enclosed in a black lacquer-like box with a red reveal. Made in the USA. Due to shipping regulations, this item must ship ... One coat gives a luxe, glossy finish while two coats give the effect of 20 layers of traditional nail lacquer. Each color is ...
A HISTORY OF CHINA, Chapter VI - All Empires - EBooks
Homemade Paint | Varnish | Paint
Grant Noren Funnel Tiger Stripe Asymmetric Wood Mirror, Artistic Artisan Designer Mirrors - Sweetheart Gallery: Contemporary...
Products We Love: OPI Holland Collection | Spafinder
large pool storage boxes - Compare Cheap large pool storage boxes Prices & Save on shopping in Australia
Contemporary and classic, the Zag Wooden Box is an artistic treasure that will be adored for years. Zag Large Wooden Box ... Made from an exotic wood composition with a carbon fibre-inlaid exterior and a clear lacquered finish. Lined with plush black ... Made from an exotic wood composition with a lacquered finish. Lined with plush cream velvet a removable tray. Features gold- ... Classically modern and prestigious, the Roger Wooden Box is an artistic treasure that will be adored for years. Roger Large ...
Artistic Designs for Living | House of Turquoise
Had to smile…Ive been spray painting/lacquering all my carry trays to coordinate with rooms…put wall paper on the insides ... Headboards - custom by Artistic Designs for Living. Rug - NIBA Rugs. Horizon artwork - Laura Smith Blair. Entryway artwork - ... Happy New Year! Im kicking off 2017 with this beautiful San Francisco home designed by Tineke Triggs of Artistic Designs for ... I love all of the gorgeous custom furnishings, artwork and lighting…and the fabulous bathroom! The custom lacquered vanity is ...
The Mad Chef Abuses Fine Belgian Beer
Nails - Page 2 - Hair, Health, Beauty blogs by HairBoutique.com
Artistic Director. "I am a strong believer that nail lacquer color can change not only your look, but your outlook. Beauty Bus ... Neutral nail lacquers in hues of soft apricot, creamy white, soft taupes and light milk chocolates are part of the current ... Whoever ends up owning it, the pending OPI deal could be the largest in the history of lacquered nails, trumping Cotys $800 ... Blue nail polish has been a strong lacquer trend since 2008. In Spring of 2009 navy blue nail polishes were christened the ...
Fall Makeup Trends With Dolce & Gabbana National Makeup Artist Christian McCulloch - Makeup and Beauty Blog
Kajikawa Family | Japanese craftsmen | Britannica.com
He excelled in designing particularly delicate lacquer inrō, ... But the lacquer of China, Japan, and Korea, which is made from ... Because so much artistic skill went into decorating the outside of the inrō, they were worn on the obi (a broad sash) by men of ... lacquer. is derived from lac, a sticky resinous substance that is the basis of some lacquers. ... He excelled in designing particularly delicate lacquer inrō, portable medicine cases composed of a nest of tiny boxes tightly ...
Shilo Dining Bench | The Brick
Nitrocellulose (NC) Lacquer Originally developed as a substitute for shellac, NC lacquer comes from natural fibres and is ... A metal base with a starburst design adds artistic flair to your dining room. ... Nitrocellulose (NC) Lacquer. Wipe surface with a soft, clean cloth on a regular basis. Strong chemical cleaners are not ... Lacquered water-resistant surface makes cleaning up spills and messes a breeze. ...
Selected Formulary Book On Inks, Paints, Lacquers, Varnishes And Enamels by Npcs Board Of Consultants & Engineers, ISBN:...
Lacquers, Varnishes And Enamels by Npcs Board Of Consultants & Engineers, ISBN: 9788190439855, Rs. 1475.00 / US$. 150.00 ... Varnish for Artistic Prints Medium Strength. Medium Varnish (for Inks). Evanescent (Invisible) Inks. Billiard Chalk. Cellulose ... Flat Lacquer. Clear Lacquer. Clear Furniture Lacquer Base. Wood Lacquer. Lacquer for Wooden. Floors. Floor Polish (Lacquer). ... Lacquer Pigment Base. Pyroxylin and Rubber Lacquer. Lacquer, Quick Drying. Paper Lacquer. â€œPearlâ€ Lacquer. Bronze Lacquer, ...
With Her in Ourland: Chapter 4
OPI Partners With Dell for New Laptop Colors
OPI has partnered with Dell to apply some of its most popular nail lacquer shades to certain computers. ... OPI executive vice president and artistic director. "And now, with Dell laptops that coordinate with OPI nail lacquers, you can ... including its 200+ fashion-forward nail lacquer shades. OPI nail lacquers contain no DBP, toluene or formaldehyde. For more ... Giving laptops a new, fun twist,OPI has partnered with Dell to apply some of its most popular nail lacquer shades to certain ...
Pitfall: Outdoor Miner | The Current | The Criterion Collection
Summer season preview: In the PBC galleries
Once the linen or paper contains the desired thickness, it is peeled from the mold and painted with lacquer. The method was ... Organized by the University of Richmond, the exhibition focuses on the "curative" power of humorous artistic expressions during ... Hard Bodies: Contemporary Japanese Lacquer Sculpture (Sept. 29-January 20) sounds like a predictable show. Doesnt it? Its ...
Suzi Weiss-FischmannNicole by OPITolueneShadesTraditional lacquerAcrylicColorsEnamelEssieGlossShellacDriesNailsVarnishOrlyOPI'sGlossyShineImportant artisticColorWoodMetallicFinishesBlackTineke TriggsCoatsTraysSculptureSpecialtiesFlirtyNail DesignDurableChineseWallsCollectionCeramicsPaintTreatmentsShapesPaintingPreserveStory of artisticObjectsCreatesSilkCeramicHistoricApproachesPracticesCoatCreateVariationsSurfaceBeautyDirectorCase
- This collection embodies the pageant's femininity, grace and glamour, with a real sense of fun shown through these shades,' stated Suzi Weiss-Fischmann, OPI EVP and artistic director. (drugstorenews.com)
- Beautiful nails really are the ultimate accessory to any look," said Suzi Weiss-Fischmann, OPI executive vice president and artistic director. (skininc.com)
- Inspired by the 2013 Metropolitan Museum Costume Institute Gala that featured the theme "Punk: Chaos to Couture," OPI Executive VP and Artistic Director Suzi Weiss-Fischmann decided to create a collection of lacquer celebrating the role of music as a major influence in fashion. (scrangie.com)
- OPI is so excited to collaborate with Disney and draw inspiration from one of the world's most popular characters," explains Suzi Weiss-Fischmann, OPI Executive VP & Artistic Director. (myorganizedchaos.net)
- Suzi Weiss-Fischmann will retain her title as EVP & Artistic Director. (prnewswire.com)
- Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland and Romania make up an exciting new fashion hotspot," explains Suzi Weiss-Fischmann, OPI Executive VP & Artistic Director . (blogspot.com)
- OPI is so excited to work with Nicki in releasing these six new nail lacquers ," said Suzi Weiss-Fischmann, OPI Executive VP & Artistic Director . (blogspot.co.nz)
- Chic pastels were a major trend throughout the runway collections at spring/summer 2014 shows and t extured, matte nails are going to be one of the hottest looks this spring," explains Suzi Weiss-Fischmann , Nicole by OPI Executive VP & Artistic Director . (blogspot.com)
Nicole by OPI8
- Inspired by the superstar's hit songs and larger-than-life persona, the collection will launch with six new Nicole by OPI Nail Lacquer shades available exclusively at Walmart for Holiday 2010. (scrangie.com)
- Subsequently, Nicole by OPI will unveil eight more Nail Lacquer shades for The One Less Lonely Girl Collection , available beginning in January 2011 at Walmart and in February 2011 at select Target, Sears, Ulta and other retail locations. (scrangie.com)
- The first six Nicole by OPI Nail Lacquers in The One Less Lonely Girl Collection will be available beginning in December 2010 at WalMart, with a subsequent launch in January 2011 at Walmart and in February 2011 at select Target, Sears, Ulta and other retail locations. (scrangie.com)
- Today I have four new Nicole by OPI lacquers to show you. (blogspot.com)
- Adventures In Acetone: Press Release: Nicole by OPI Roughles Textured Nail Lacquers! (blogspot.com)
- This March, Nicole by OPI launches Roughles ("ruffles") -- 4 new textured nail lacquers featuring speckled, pastel shades of purple, pink, turquoise and yellow. (blogspot.com)
- Nicole by OPI offers a salon-quality range of bold, fashion-forward nail lacquers. (blogspot.com)
- Currently, Nicole by OPI range boasts over 120 shades, including retailer-exclusive lacquers, and serves as the color authority for the younger demographic. (blogspot.com)
- OPI nail lacquers contain no DBP, toluene or formaldehyde. (skininc.com)
- Gwen Stefani by OPI nail lacquers contain no DBP, Toluene, or Formaldehyde, and feature OPI's exclusive ProWide™ Brush for the ultimate in application. (scrangie.com)
- OPI nail lacquer is available in over 200 shades and contains no DBP, Toluene, or Formaldehyde. (prnewswire.com)
- In terms of modern products for coating finishes, lac-based finishes are likely to be referred to as shellac , while lacquer often refers to other polymers dissolved in volatile organic compounds (VOCs), such as nitrocellulose , and later acrylic compounds dissolved in lacquer thinner , a mixture of several solvents typically containing butyl acetate and xylene or toluene . (popflock.com)
- Giving laptops a new, fun twist,OPI has partnered with Dell to apply some of its most popular nail lacquer shades to certain computers. (skininc.com)
- Color goes digital with new customized laptops from Dell in favorite OPI nail lacquer shades. (skininc.com)
- OPI Products Inc., a world leader in professional nail care, is renowned for its range of innovative products, including its 200+ fashion-forward nail lacquer shades. (skininc.com)
- Highlights from the collection include a bold red lacquer that pays homage to Gwen's signature lipstick, a new semi-matte satin finish in shades of gold and black, and a mirrored chrome paired with a special base coat. (scrangie.com)
- Euro Centrale by OPI offers 12 new nail lacquers in a collection where classic hues meet contemporary shades. (blogspot.com)
- new shades of Nail Lacquer that Hard Candy is launching. (body-soulbeauty.com)
- The traditional lacquer ware presents Asian aesthetics, craftsmanship, materials and tools, and the modern ware combines younger generational thought, modern aesthetic principles and Western influences. (conservation-us.org)
- One coat gives a luxe, glossy colour while two coats give the effect of 20 layers of traditional lacquer. (neimanmarcus.com)
- EYESHADOW PALETTE (SRP $8.49) seven artistic colors in one convenient compact. (makeupandbeautyblog.com)
- It's hard to envision this practical item with an original artistic theme, even though Victorinox does feature a limited number of alternate colors and decorative casings. (thenextweb.com)
- Known for its exceptional formula, fashionable colors and iconic names, OPI's heavily-pigmented lacquers are super rich, long-lasting and chip-resistant - offering an affordable luxury to consumers. (prnewswire.com)
- we are free to mix colors and lacquers, woods and carpeting, antiques and flea-market finds. (latimes.com)
- Malay nyiru rattan tray, Burmese lacquer trays, Indian enamel, tiffin, English jelly moulds and tureens are lined up alongside blue and white Ming porcelains. (timeout.com)
- Whoever ends up owning it, the pending OPI deal could be the largest in the history of lacquered nails, trumping Coty's $800 million purchase of Sally Hansen and New York Color owner Del Laboratories in 2007, and far exceeding L'Oréal USA's April purchase of Essie Cosmetics, which was thought to be around $100 million. (hairboutique.com)
- At Salons Direct you can now shop from a range of Artistic Colour Gloss Gel products - a soft gel system that applies like polish and gives 2-3 weeks of glossy, vibrant nail colour. (salonsdirect.com)
- A popular product with professional manicurists, the Artistic Colour Gloss Gel range cures in just 30 seconds with an LED lamp or two minutes with a traditional UV lamp. (salonsdirect.com)
- All six lacquers-Halo Chrome Rose Gold Magmatized Fiery Red, Decadence Metallic Espresso, Nobody's Fool Chrome Marigold, Gilded Textured Patina and Sleigh 'ME' Arctic Shimmer-are formulated to strengthen weak, brittle nails and restore flexibility. (nailpro.com)
- And now, with Dell laptops that coordinate with OPI nail lacquers, you can match your nails to your e-mails. (skininc.com)
- Venique Nails educator Bernice Diep creates a marbleized French nail art design using Venique Nail Lacquer at the International Salon & Spa Expo Long Beach. (nailsmag.com)
- Now take this artistic and creative expression to your nails. (body-soulbeauty.com)
- What looks like lacquer is just a few coats of clear varnish. (marthastewart.com)
- NEW YORK - Nail care brand Orly has announced the launch of its Happy Go Lucky collection of fun, edgy lacquers. (drugstorenews.com)
- Orly nail lacquers and treatment products are available at OrlyBeauty.com , Sally Beauty, Ulta and other purveyors of beauty throughout the United States, and in more than 100 countries worldwide. (drugstorenews.com)
- The brand's heritage is based on OPI's well-established foundation of excellence in both color and technology, providing premium products to a broad range of consumers looking for trendsetting nail lacquers. (blogspot.com)
- Its medium-density fibreboard in a matte or glossy finish yields a perfect union between joints and a brilliant shine in the glossy lacquer. (porcelanosa.com)
- Lacquer sheen is a measurement of the shine for a given lacquer. (popflock.com)
- Kamisaka Sekka (神坂 雪佳, 1866-1942) was an important artistic figure in early twentieth-century Japan. (wikipedia.org)
- ST Dupont has drawn inspiration freely from this important artistic school, with some exceptional pieces. (dupontlimitededition.com)
- Cinnabar lacquer developed into an important artistic medium of the sixth century BC to second century AD This early days, lacquer was also produced not only red but black, using coal as the dye, and orpiment, as a result of natural mineral waters Ceramic Yellow Lacquer Islands. (blogspot.com)
- Clark and Brown noted that Coty Inc., which already controls roughly half the retail nail market with its Sally Hansen and New York Color brands, is said to be the leading contender to snatch nail lacquer company OPI Products Inc. from the hands of its competitors in an auction. (hairboutique.com)
- OPI joins celebrity partner Gwen Stefani in announcing seven new limited edition nail lacquers for 2014, featuring standout color in breakthrough finishes. (scrangie.com)
- A wardrobe of textures and dazzling hues come together in a couture color palette, presented in a luxe, lacquered case. (sephora.com)
- a dreamy coral with an artistic burst of color. (essie.com)
- chic and modern, this dreamy coral nail lacquer is an artistic burst of color that creates a manicure masterpiece. (essie.com)
- One that is quickly recognized, cinnabar lacquer, with its characteristic red color, sometimes called the red Chinese lacquer red or vermilion. (blogspot.com)
- Daniel Grant and Ingela Noren creates artistic, Tiger Stripe Asymmetric Wood Mirror. (sweetheartgallery.com)
- A remarkable development of this period that must not be overlooked was the production of statuary of considerable merit, made with lacquer composition ( kanshitsu ), a process derived from China but carried to a high standard in Japan for a brief period, until it was superseded by wood sculpture . (britannica.com)
- The process called Kamakura - bori , carved wood thickly lacquered with red or black, also dates from this period and continued to flourish for another two centuries or so. (britannica.com)
- scents of lacquer and wood from his grandfather's furniture workshop - all find a way into his architecture. (reuters.com)
- SIDEBOARD Lacquered wood Dumont sideboard, West Elm , $839 . (styleathome.com)
- 3 Lacquered wood Alba, CB2 , $699 . (styleathome.com)
- Such is the case especially of utensils made of iron, ceramics, wood, lacquer ware. (slowfoodla.com)
- As a sucker for an artistic challenge, I proposed rebuilding Kade's loft bed by adding a facade of faux reclaimed wood, rethinking the crayon colored canvas, replacing it with burlap and reorienting the slide and re-facing it with galvanized sheet metal for an old school look. (blogspot.co.nz)
- Changing the bright maple required some sanding and re-finishing with a wood toned lacquer. (blogspot.co.nz)
- The term lacquer is used for a number of hard and potentially shiny finishes applied to materials such as wood or metal. (popflock.com)
- Asian lacquerware , which may be called "true lacquer", are objects coated with the treated, dyed and dried sap of Toxicodendron vernicifluum or related trees, applied in several coats to a base that is usually wood. (popflock.com)
- In modern techniques, lacquer means a range of clear or coloured wood finishes that dry by solvent evaporation or a curing process that produces a hard, durable finish. (popflock.com)
- A Chinese six-pointed tray, red lacquer over wood, from the Song Dynasty (960-1279), 12th-13th century, Metropolitan Museum of Art. (popflock.com)
- Quite different from the stylized images found in his Pop vocabulary, the only actual paint and original coloring in these work is that of a copper-based metallic lacquer. (mediamatic.net)
- In other words, after first priming the linen with the aforementioned metallic lacquer, Warhol had Hugo and Cutrone pee on the canvases, thus proving to Warhol their artistic value to him and justifying their place at the by then glorified world of the Factory on Broadway. (mediamatic.net)
- These lacquers produce very hard, durable finishes that are both beautiful and very resistant to damage by water, acid, alkali or abrasion. (popflock.com)
- It is of black lacquered panels and veneer with artistic lines and custom copper handles. (lumberjocks.com)
- Another Step Closer… Tonight, I sprayed the final coat of lacquer and painted the groove in the door black. (lumberjocks.com)
- But one piece there, a sword-scabbard of black lacquer decorated in gold, formerly belonging to the emperor Shōmu (724-748), is undoubtedly Japanese. (britannica.com)
- The organization of the industry was extended, and, as early as 905, sumptuary edicts began to be issued regulating the dimensions and quantities of material to be used in the domestic utensils-chiefly of black or red polished lacquer-which now began to come into general use. (britannica.com)
- The case is in black lacquer, sprinkled with gold dust and with a pattern of flowers, clouds, birds, and Buddhist winged genii in gold and silver togidashi . (britannica.com)
- Pure, defined lines create an effect of movement, while blocks of genuine red and black Chinese lacquer form geo metric shapes. (dupontlimitededition.com)
- The prettiest baskets are the red or black lacquered and gold gilded sia nah - these exquisite famille rose prized porcelains are the Peranakan's signature porcelain. (timeout.com)
- This elegant black lacquer buffet cabinet was hand-crafted in a classic Ming dynasty design. (orientalfurniture.com)
- Couture king Yves Saint-Laurent's taste for such stylised faceless mannequins, often lacquered in white or black or gold, turned the tables on the trade. (medindia.net)
- Whether you're looking to spice up a black and white print, or add neutrality to a vivid brocade, these lacquers are designed to accessorize spring's hottest looks. (blogspot.com)
- The colorful bedroom was designed by Tineke Triggs, principal of the San Francisco-based firm Artistic Designs for Living and was part of the 2014 San Francisco Decorator Showcase . (houseofturquoise.com)
- I'm kicking off 2017 with this beautiful San Francisco home designed by Tineke Triggs of Artistic Designs for Living! (houseofturquoise.com)
- Mother of pearl tesserae may be cut into artistic shapes and be laminated to ceramic tile and surrounded by numerous coats of colored lacquer to create an artistic design. (factbites.com)
- Had to smile…I've been 'spray painting/lacquering all my 'carry trays' to coordinate with rooms…put wall paper on the insides of some and shellacked them…FUN! (houseofturquoise.com)
- Not a comprehensive survey but a sampling of arts -- painting, sculpture, architecture, photography and prints -- and artistic practices from diverse historical periods, regions, and cultures. (princeton.edu)
- Silverware, brassware and fine-weave lacquered basketry are specialties of the province. (marimari.com)
- Pair these lacquers with candy colored fabrics and flirty floral prints to really make a statement! (blogspot.com)
- With the current global state, Artistic Nail Design strives to make quality products available to all with their Colour It Forward campaign. (nailpro.com)
- Lakes refers to any surface which is coated with lacquer, which is hard and durable surface. (blogspot.com)
- This paper summarizes the various information that has been gathered in recent years at the J. Paul Getty Museum and Getty Conservation Institute with regard to the organic constituents of Chinese lacquer formulations. (iiconservation.org)
- As more researchers participate and collaborate, and as more results are aggregated into shared databases, significant new insights into the methods and materials of Chinese lacquer are sure to follow. (iiconservation.org)
- Much of what is known of early Chinese figure painting comes from burial sites, where paintings were preserved on silk banners, lacquered objects, and tomb walls. (wikipedia.org)
- to Chinese lacquer red ("That was the 70's, yeah") to a statelier white. (observer.com)
- At the same time, according to tradition, the Chinese lacquer tree was introduced. (britannica.com)
- Many fine pieces of the late 7th and the 8th centuries, inlaid in gold, silver, or mother-of-pearl, of Chinese origin, have been preserved in the Shōsō Repository , as already mentioned in the section above on Chinese lacquer. (britannica.com)
- From the image of the Prince throughout the world, illustrated by an important Ottoman Turban Helmet to a more intimate vision of a new art of living, the museum presents a chest of drawers made in Red Chinese lacquer by Bernard II Van Risenburgh (BVRB, 1696-1766), created in France. (pilotguides.com)
- Cinnabar lacquer pigment is derived from a tree native to southern China, the Chinese Sumac (Rhus verniciflua), usually referred to as the tree of the Lake. (blogspot.com)
- A Chinese carved lacquer oval tray, Yuan Dynasty , ca. 13th century. (popflock.com)
- The Chinese treated the allergic reaction with crushed shellfish, which supposedly prevents lacquer from drying properly. (popflock.com)
- Under Mr. Wager's direction, the performers seem painfully in touch with the confused emotions they have been asked to give voice to, unprotected by the lacquered walls of well-honed technique. (nytimes.com)
- Featuring six holiday-hued polishes, the Dermelect 2018 'ME' Holiday Lacquer Collection is infused with protein-peptide technology. (nailpro.com)
- The Miss Universe Collection by OPI, featuring four new lacquers, will be available in September. (drugstorenews.com)
- A unique collection based on artistic expression. (body-soulbeauty.com)
- Much of the best work in ceramics, textiles, carved lacquer, and other techniques was produced over a long period by the various Imperial factories or workshops, which as well as being used by the court was distributed internally and abroad on a huge scale to demonstrate the wealth and power of the Emperors. (wikipedia.org)
- The perfectly sculpted, tall cap is inspired by calligraphy and paint brushes, and enables the application to be a truly artistic experience. (shopstyle.com)
- Our fiberglass fish mount blanks are compatible with just about any type of paint -- from the finest lacquers to even house paint. (kingsailfishmounts.com)
- I can still sense his smells- the after-shave mingled with the lingering scent of lacquer and paint thinner- whichever he was using last. (caregiver.com)
- Asian lacquer is sometimes painted with pictures, inlaid with shell and other materials, or carved , as well as dusted with gold and given other further decorative treatments. (popflock.com)
- Kajikawa artists also designed lacquer netsuke -toggles carved in the shapes of animals, human figures, and plants, used to attach medicine boxes and tobacco and money pouches to men's sashes. (britannica.com)
- So many artistic approaches to design our eggs, including lacquer/wax painting and onion peel/colouring dye. (vastenhouwlab.org)
- Discussion of cultural and aesthetic sensitivities, similarities and differences in conservation and restoration will expose all attendees to the variety of approaches being effected to preserve lacquer ware. (conservation-us.org)
Story of artistic2
- In Japanese, Kizuna means the bonds of friendship, and this exhibition looks at how Wales has played its own distinctive part in the fascinating story of artistic exchange between Japan and the rest of the world. (artfund.org)
- Each institution will make its own contribution to this grand-scale story of artistic innovation and social change, told through a multitude of simultaneous exhibitions and programs. (mcasd.org)
- The symposium will explore the ways in which historic and modern craftspeople and artists have used the lacquer to form functional and artistic objects. (conservation-us.org)
- Showcasing these lacquer objects will allow attendees to appreciate and learn more of the art and craft of Asian lacquer. (conservation-us.org)
- To achieve a diamond effect that prevents the surface lines typical of knives or sharp objects, lacquer is the most resistant material. (porcelanosa.com)
- Lush pigmentation and supreme reflectivity combine in John McCracken's lacquered sculptures to create bold objects which paradoxically melt into their environment by mirroring the details of the surrounding room. (mcasd.org)
- The use of videotaped interviews with Ms. Latty to provide context and continuity, for instance, creates an artistic imbalance. (nytimes.com)
- He excelled in designing particularly delicate lacquer inrō , portable medicine cases composed of a nest of tiny boxes tightly fitted into one another and secured with a silk cord. (britannica.com)
- From this time, it is no exaggeration to say that, to a considerable extent, lacquer filled the place occupied in China by ceramic wares. (britannica.com)
- The artistic exchanges on the trading routes during the Medieval and Modern periods are brought to the fore through a number of ceramic works. (pilotguides.com)
- A small display of contemporary and modern pieces with traditional and/or historic pieces from China, Japan, Korea and Taiwan will exemplify the ways lacquer has been used through the centuries and the cultural significance of the medium. (conservation-us.org)
- Issues of and variations in approaches to lacquer ware conservation and restoration will be presented and discussed. (conservation-us.org)
- Over the centuries, migrants have spread around the world, bringing their religious practices, culinary skills and artistic tastes. (timeout.com)
- Also as functional as they are sculptural, the coat racks shown below infuse an artistic element that looks like a stylized tree. (styleathome.com)
- Keeping the surroundings simple will allow your artistic pieces to take center stage and create a gallery-like environment of little outside distraction. (mydomaine.com)
- Infused with lessons from Western architects, he forged his artistic vision with a deep reverence for life, Eastern culture, and forces of nature to create an architecture that was personal," the citation for the prize said. (reuters.com)
- The bright lacquers are married with neutrals in new variations like red clay and sea green. (spafinder.com)
- The sellers are artistic types, too: Joseph Montebello, the former creative director of HarperCollins, had lived in the 102-year-old co-op since 1964, and fashion designer Roland Leal moved in back in 1974. (observer.com)
- Although the company was sold to Shiseido in 2000,  Nars remains as artistic director, in-house photographer, and copywriter for his brand. (wikipedia.org)
- Some few authentic examples remain of the fine lacquer of the Heian period , notably a case for Buddhist scriptures in the Ninna-ji at Kyōto, made at the beginning of the 10th century, which bears an inscription dated 919. (britannica.com)