Stress Disorders, Post-Traumatic
A class of traumatic stress disorders with symptoms that last more than one month. There are various forms of post-traumatic stress disorder, depending on the time of onset and the duration of these stress symptoms. In the acute form, the duration of the symptoms is between 1 to 3 months. In the chronic form, symptoms last more than 3 months. With delayed onset, symptoms develop more than 6 months after the traumatic event.
Afghan Campaign 2001-
An international organization whose members include most of the sovereign nations of the world with headquarters in New York City. The primary objectives of the organization are to maintain peace and security and to achieve international cooperation in solving international economic, social, cultural, or humanitarian problems.
Human Rights Abuses
Critical and exhaustive investigation or experimentation, having for its aim the discovery of new facts and their correct interpretation, the revision of accepted conclusions, theories, or laws in the light of newly discovered facts, or the practical application of such new or revised conclusions, theories, or laws. (Webster, 3d ed)
Education, Medical, Graduate
Education, Dental, Graduate
Chemical Warfare Agents
World War I
Severe irritant and vesicant of skin, eyes, and lungs. It may cause blindness and lethal lung edema and was formerly used as a war gas. The substance has been proposed as a cytostatic and for treatment of psoriasis. It has been listed as a known carcinogen in the Fourth Annual Report on Carcinogens (NTP-85-002, 1985) (Merck, 11th ed).
Pope's visit to Iraq highlights needs in Liberated Areas | Iraq Business News
... historic visit to Iraq highlights remaining needs in areas liberated from ISIL The historic visit of His Holiness Pope Francis ... to Iraq is testament to the strength of the Iraqi people in rebuilding their lives post ISIL, but also highlights the urgent, ... Popes visit to Iraq highlights needs in Liberated Areas. By Editor on 12th March 2021 in Construction & Engineering In Iraq ... Pope to visit Iraq in Historic First How significant is Pope Franciss visit to Iraq? Popes Schedule in Iraq reveals Two ...
Bay Area Warrior Writers-Veterans, Civilian Soldier Alliance and Allies of local veterans. | Iraq Veterans Against the War
Iraq Veterans Against the War is open to Active Duty, National Guard and Reservists who have served since 09/11/2001. Join IVAW ... Iraq Veterans Against the War has become About Face: Veterans Against the War. About Face can be found at aboutfaceveterans.org ... Warrior Writers is coming to the Bay area. We are inviting Veterans of all eras and all wars to join us for a healing and ... Bay Area Warrior Writers-Veterans, Civilian Soldier Alliance and Allies of local veterans. *Home ...
Sadr rejects return of Kurdish troops to Iraq's disputed areas
... cleric and political leader Muqtada al-Sadr voiced on Sunday his rejection of the rumored return of Kurdish forces to areas ... Sadr rejects return of Kurdish troops to Iraqs disputed areas. in Politics. Sadr rejects return of Kurdish troops to Iraqs ... Iraq denied on Saturday reports that it was under pressures from the United States to allow the return of Kurdish forces to ... Baghdad seized back areas disputed with Erbil following the Kurdistan Regions vote for independence September 25. ...
Iraq has hosted more than one round of Saudi-Iranian talks - president | ZAWYA KSA Edition
CNN.com - Rice, Tenet brief lawmakers on Iraq - September 10, 2002
... military action in Iraq as President Bush worked on a speech that he hopes will do the same on the international stage. ... Timeline: U.N. weapons inspections in Iraq. Map: Area controlled by Kurds. ... military action in Iraq as President Bush worked on a speech that he hopes will do the same on the international stage. ... Rice, Tenet brief lawmakers on Iraq. Bush works on U.N. speech. ... Iraq denies developing nuclear, biological or chemical weapons ...
Route clearance (IEDs) - Wikipedia
Iraq was much more urban, Iraq also had many paved highways. The insurgents in Iraq relied much more on EFPs, contrary in ... They are then deployed to areas of need. Not all parts of Afghanistan are equally covered by RCPs, for example the remote FOB ... 2003 invasion of Iraq. Unlike Afghanistan threats of IEDs evolved almost instantly after the invasion. Indeed the MRAP ... and dismounted foot patrols to locate the trigger points in known danger areas. ...
Pentagon Chief Says US Forces Leaving Syria Are Shifting to Iraq
"New areas being resettled with the Kurds. USA soldiers are not in combat or ceasefire zones. We have secured the oil. Bringing ... But NOW the defense secretary announced US forces leaving Syria to go to western IRAQ, which for years has been a FAR MORE ... News that the Trump administration is shifting American forces from Syria to Iraq rather than returning them to the U.S. comes ... Reuters reported early Monday that it spotted "more than 100 vehicles" crossing into Iraq from northeastern Syria. ...
Iraq Policy - Charlie Rose
The State of Iraq Today; Ahmed Rashid - Charlie Rose
... and Gordon on the state of Iraq and U.S. occupation; Ahmed Rashid on the Taliban in Pakistan. ... Site by AREA 17 Charlie Rose is brought to you by ... The State of Iraq Today World, Politics Air Date 06/17/2008 ... Vali Nasr, Stephen Biddle and Michael Gordon debate the state of Iraq today and the continuation of the U.S. mission there. 29: ... Douglas Lute clarifies our current involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan. 31:50 *Play ...
Peace and Justice | Human Rights Watch
Pope Francis visits Abraham's birthplace in Iraq - UPI.com
... on his second day in Iraq on Saturday. ... The pope visited areas hit hard by the Islamic State. Photo ... Pope Francis (R) meets with Iraqs top Shiite cleric, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, in Najaf, Iraq on Saturday. Photo ... A welcoming ceremony was held for the pope at the airport to start his historic tour in Iraq. Photo by Humam Mohamed/UPI , ... The pope said he felt compelled to make the trip to Iraq because its people "have suffered so much," amid the COVID-19 crisis. ...
Iraq after ISIL: Qayyara - GPPi
... trained Sunni tribal PMF have played a larger role in this relatively stable Sunni area south of Mosul, but tribal revenge ... Iraq after ISIL: Tikrit and Surrounding Areas By Erica Gaston, Frauke Maas ... Some felt that security in the area had not been fully restored, noting that tribal forces were not able to secure all areas. ... Many local tribal forces contributed to the liberation of areas by identifying areas or particular buildings held by ISIL ...
Virus Updates: CDC to Release Guidance for Fully Vaccinated People - NBC Bay Area
Vatican Defends Popes Iraq Trip, Stadium Mass Amid Pandemic. The Vatican is defending Pope Francis decision to go ahead with ... A Spare the Air alert is in effect in the Bay Area. Some areas will see smoke from the Willow Fire. ... Bruni noted Iraq has a predominantly young population, the number of infections was small compared to the overall population ... Several counties in the San Francisco Bay Area issued a strict-stay-at-home order nearly a year ago, in advance of a statewide ...
On Some Ostracode Species of the Avanah Formation from Dohuk Area N. Iraq
Dohuk area, Northern Iraq.These species are: Uroleberis globosa Ducasse 1967, Uroleberis sp., Acanthocythereis ( ... On Some Ostracode Species of the Avanah Formation from Dohuk Area N. Iraq Nisreen M. Aziz Iraqi National Journal of Earth ... 2012). On Some Ostracode Species of the Avanah Formation from Dohuk Area N. Iraq. Iraqi National Journal of Earth Sciences, 12( ... "On Some Ostracode Species of the Avanah Formation from Dohuk Area N. Iraq". Iraqi National Journal of Earth Sciences, 12, 2, ...
David Petraeus: ISIS's Rise in Iraq Isn't a Surprise | Losing Iraq | FRONTLINE | PBS | Official Site
... forces in Iraq on the surge, and why the U.S. shouldve seen ISIS coming. ... So they were keen to get these individuals out of their areas and to reintegrate into an Iraq which has such bounty. ... It gave Iraq and Iraqis yet another chance.. But at a certain point in time, it is Iraq and it is Iraqis, Iraqi leaders in ... Well, 2006 was a very, very tough year for Iraq and indeed for our actions in Iraq. With the bombing of the Samarra mosque - ...
Soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan to get life saving anti-sniper device
British and American forces fighting the guerilla insurgence in Iraq and Afghanistan could soon be protected by an anti-sniper ... "It helps to make combat scenarios, especially in urban areas, a lot less confusing. Everybody immediately knows what side of ... Soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan to get life saving anti-sniper device British and American forces fighting the guerilla ... The device has already been road tested in Iraq and Afghanistan to claims of great success. ...
Opinion: Will Afghanistan be the new Iraq? | CNN
Anish Goel says the Afghan regime could face a threat similar to the one in Iraq unless precautionary steps are taken. ... ISIS wants to create an Islamic state across Sunni areas of Iraq and Syria. class=gallery-image__dam-img loading=lazy/>. ... ISIS wants to create an Islamic state across Sunni areas of Iraq and Syria. ... Iraqi Shiite fighters cover their ears as a rocket is launched during a clash with ISIS militants in the town of Al-Alam, Iraq ...
Iraq: Militants show video of US soldier shot - The Jerusalem Post
A video was posted on an extremist Islamist Web site Tuesday showing a US soldier being shot in Iraq while guarding an armored ... White smoke was seen rising from his stomach area.. More about:. Iraq, Islamic Army in Iraq. ... Iraq: Militants show video of US soldier shot. A video was posted on an extremist Islamist Web site Tuesday showing a US ... A video was posted on an extremist Islamist Web site Tuesday showing a US soldier being shot in Iraq while guarding an armored ...
Iraq, Macquarie Fields and Australia's "History Wars" - World Socialist Web Site
It spreads from one area to another.. We have a further example in recent remarks by Margaret Cunneen, the NSW Deputy Senior ... The cancer of the Iraq war. The invasion of Iraq was just the beginning. A new era of world history has opened up in which the ... The war in Iraq is the source, the origin, of all the other crimes that have followed. And they have followed thick and fast. ... The invasion of Iraq has had nothing to do with "weapons of mass destruction". It equally has had nothing to do with bringing ...
Iraq | Pearltrees
US fired depleted uranium at civilian areas in 2003 Iraq war, report finds. Iraq ... Cost of Iraq. Ghosts of U.S. Troops Left at Kirkuk Base After Iraqi Army Fled. ... US forces fired depleted uranium (DU) weapons at civilian areas and troops in Iraq in breach of official advice meant to ... As insurgents rolled past Iraqs second largest city, an oil hub at the vital intersection of Syria, Iraq and Turkey, and into ...
Live From Iraq, an Un-Embedded Journalist
Others missed them and crashed into civilian areas. I went to one hospital where-the doctors here are not Ba ath party members ... This was not Iraq invading the US- this was the US invading Iraq. It was not a speech that was delivered with a great deal of ... I do think they will get journalists to move around inside Iraq providing they can produce a scenario that is favorable to Iraq ... And thus, clearly Iraq broke that convention when it put those men on television- I watched them on Iraqi TV here. But, as I ve ...
IRAQ - Artists' Television Access
Rick Rowley, Big Noise film maker recently returned for Iraq.. Sponsored by Courage to Resist, Bay Area Iraq Veterans Against ... Carl Davison, organizer with Iraq Veterans Against the War, served in the Marines and the Army, and refused deployment to Iraq. ... Shot on the other side of the blast shields in Iraqs walled cities, it covers a very different side of the war than is ever ...
Can Christianity in northern Iraq survive after ISIS? | America Magazine
Christians are slowly returning to help rebuild northern Iraq, but many remain fearful of an ISIS resurgence and feel abandoned ... Iraq, with areas in yellow controlled by Kurdish forces (undefined border). Map from iStock; first created on Sept. 21, 2017.. ... Sunni resentment toward Iraqs Shiite leadership remains unresolved. The political situation in northern Iraq has grown only ... "If there is no Christian presence, then this area of the world would not be lighted by the presence of the Gospel and the good ...
ISIL, Iraq and Syria: Why Military Action Won't Do The Trick - The American Prospect
In two years, a once spent al-Qaeda has transformed into a quasi-state entity that now governs an area in Syria and Iraq that ... A clear strategy focused on building Iraqs capacity for good governance as well as diplomatic support for Iraq buoyed by U.S. ... the United States should avoid fighting in Iraq and Syria. Now that that the U.S. has committed itself to bombing Iraq and ... In Iraq, the best intelligence was actually provided by the U.S. military-not by American intelligence agencies. When the U.S. ...
Let Us Not Overlook the Humanitarian Crisis in Iraq | HuffPost UK
Access will become increasingly difficult in some areas - already aid agencies have to negotiate to reach people in need on a ... Let there be no doubt that the crisis in Iraq has developed into a humanitarian one - and that addressing it is what the term ... Let Us Not Overlook the Humanitarian Crisis in Iraq. It is not our role to discuss how best to bring peace, but it is up to us ... MORE: displaced people ISIS terror Red Cross humanitarian Terrorism Caliphate internally displaced persons isis caliphate Iraq ...
Depleted uranium casts shadow over peace in Iraq | New Scientist
People living in areas where DU was deployed have a negligible risk of developing cancers as a result of inhaling DU ... Iraq did not allow the World Health Organization to carry out an independent assessment. Given its low radioactivity and our ... They also recommend the environmental sampling of affected areas (see Royal Society Reports on DU, 2002", below). ... Last week, the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) announced it wanted to send a scientific team into Iraq as soon as possible to ...
CNN.com - Iraq: 200 Baghdad bomb casualties - Mar. 22, 2003
"We have calculated in a small area of Baghdad, 19 missiles fell. I went there and saw parts of these missiles -- 19 missiles in ... BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- More than 200 civilians have been injured in the U.S.-led bombing of Baghdad, Iraqs information ... Iraq: 200 Baghdad bomb casualties. A wounded child cries in a Baghdad hospital Saturday. Iraqi officials said child was among ... Iraqs information minister also said the United States is so desperate to show progress that it "kidnapped" thousands of Iraqi ...
UN: 750,000 still living under militant rule in Iraq's Mosul
Mosul is the IS groups last major urban bastion in Iraq. The extremists still control large areas in neighboring Syria. ... Mosul is the IS groups last major urban bastion in Iraq. The extremists still control large areas in neighboring Syria. Iraqi ... Lise Grande, the U.N. Humanitarian Coordinator for Iraq, said the cost of food and basic goods is soaring, water and ... Lise Grande, the U.N. Humanitarian Coordinator for Iraq, said the cost of food and basic goods is soaring, water and ...
Publications Advanced Search | IAEA
Radiological Conditions in Selected Areas of Southern Iraq with Residues of Depleted Uranium. Report by an international group ... Radiological Conditions in Areas of Kuwait with Residues of Depleted Uranium. Report by an international group of experts ... Radiological Conditions in Areas of Kuwait with Residues of Depleted Uranium. Report by an international group of experts ...
Bay Area News, Local News, Weather, Traffic, Entertainment, Breaking News ... San Diego Veteran Receives Purple Heart 17 Years After Iraq Deployment Ivan Krimker received a Purple Heart this year after he ... A heat advisory and an excessive heat warning has been issued for much of the Bay Area. A detailed forecast here. ... NBC Bay Area Responds Submit a consumer complaint How To Explainers California Live Weather Weather Alerts Entertainment NBCLX ...
2017MosulOttoman EmpireTurkishKurdsTroopsArmyCountry'sIraqisAfghanistan2019ISISWorld's largestPeshmergaKurdishRetakenWhite phosphorusSquare kilometersEarthquakePrecipitationStabilizationKurdistanIslamic StateAmericaRefugeeTurkeyDespite sanctionsInvasionIraq'sSanctionsBasraPopulation30,000BushWeapons of mass desNewlySurge1990Republic of IGovernment of IKuwaitViolenceMarsh ArabsAttacksOfficialsConflictPersian GulfNortheasternHumanitarian assistanceMilitantsSunniCiviliansCommanderShells
- Iraqi Oil Minister Jabar al-Luaibi speaks during news conference at the ministry of oil in Baghdad, Iraq November 27, 2017. (reuters.com)
- Baghdad, 31 August 2017 - The Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) for Iraq, Mr. Ján Kubiš, congratulated the people and Government of Iraq on the liberation of Tal Afar from the terrorist Daesh. (uniraq.org)
- Erbil, Iraq, 27.08.2017: UNHCR, the UN refugee agency, has opened a new camp in Ninewah Governorate to respond to newly-displaced Iraqis fleeing the military operations in Telafar and surrounding areas. (uniraq.org)
- Baghdad, 22 August 2017 - As hundreds of people flee the crisis in Telafar, a city west of Mosul, Iraq, the World Health Organization (WHO) and health partners, in collaboration with Ninewa health authority, have established static and mobile medical clinics to offer 24/7 lifesaving emergency and primary health care services to meet the urgent needs of people fleeing the crisis. (uniraq.org)
- The animal rights group Four Paws International rescued Saeed and Simba in daring warzone operations in 2017 from Magic World outside in Syria's Aleppo, and the Mosul zoo in Iraq. (africanews.com)
- Iraq claimed credit for videos earlier this week showing the use of white phosphorus munitions in densely populated parts of the Old City in Mosul, but their use is becoming even more widespread, with new reports suggesting that the US is also using such shells in both Iraq and Syria . (antiwar.com)
- In the cases where images are emerging, they are definitely in densely populated areas, with both Mosul and Raqqa apparently facing the use of white phosphorus. (antiwar.com)
- The trip began against a backdrop of an ongoing investigation into civilian deaths in an area of Mosul near the site of an air-strike by U.S.-led coalition forces last month. (nbcbayarea.com)
- The satellite spotted a cloud of dark smoke blooming in the desert of Northern Iraq - about 60km (37.5 miles) south of Mosul. (bbc.co.uk)
- Organized by the Iraq Technology and Entrepreneurship Alliance (ITEA), the event saw a collaborative effort between 700 youth activists across the cities of Erbil, Baghdad, Basra, Sulaimaniya, and Mosul. (thenextweb.com)
- The Iraq Area Command or Iraq Regional Command of the Ottoman Empire (Turkish: Irak ve Havalisi Genel Komutanlığı) was one of the military formation of the Ottoman Army. (wikipedia.org)
- KIRKUK, Iraq-Dozens of medical devices containing nerve-gas antidote, whose packaging indicated that they were manufactured by a Turkish company for use by Iraq, were found Friday outside a looted armory at an Iraqi military base. (mcclatchydc.com)
- During his time as president, Talabani was seen as a symbol of unity, a politician able to manage tensions between Sunnis, Shiites and Kurds that in Iraq often erupt into violence. (nationalpost.com)
- Kurds in Iraq (Arabic: كرد العراق, Kurdish: Kurdanî Başûrî Kurdistan / Kurdanî Êraq) are people born in or residing in Iraq who are of Kurdish origin. (wikipedia.org)
- The Kurds are the largest ethnic minority in Iraq, comprising between 20% and 25% of the country's population according to the CIA World Factbook. (wikipedia.org)
- Iraqi Kurds developed as a subgroup of the Kurdish peoples when Great Britain created the state of Iraq out of the Sykes-Picot Agreement of World War I. The Kurdish people were expecting to soon gain independence from what they were promised in the Treaty of Sèvres in 1920, but this was quickly overturned in 1923, when the Treaty of Lausanne established the Republic of Turkey over Kurdistan's borders. (wikipedia.org)
- Turkey has expressed concern over the autonomous status of Kurds in Iraq. (factmonster.com)
- But a Peshmerga spokesman said Syrian Kurds trained in northern Iraq would be sent in but not Iraqi Kurds. (rferl.org)
- On Thursday, Domenici said he would support legislation that would withdraw U.S. troops from Iraq by March of 2008. (democracynow.org)
- Five years after President George W. Bush sent troops into Iraq, these soldiers had entered an expansive but largely secret chapter of America's long and bitter involvement in Iraq. (nytimes.com)
- The Bush administration last November said that it had learned that Iraq had ordered large amounts of atropine from Turkey, raising fears that Saddam Hussein might use nerve gas to repulse invading U.S. troops. (mcclatchydc.com)
- Frustrated by the Army's decision, Hall recorded-and mailed to his superiors-a song protesting the stop-loss policy, which has forced thousands of troops to serve extra time in Iraq and Afghanistan. (infowars.com)
- Their stories, recorded and typed into thousands of pages of transcripts, reveal disturbing patterns of behavior by American troops in Iraq. (thirdworldtraveler.com)
- Fighting in densely populated urban areas has led to the indiscriminate use of force and the deaths at the hands of occupation troops of thousands of innocents. (thirdworldtraveler.com)
- President Barack Obama, however, has announced plans to withdraw combat troops from Iraq by Aug. 31, 2010. (nbcnews.com)
- The intense focus on Baghdad and western Iraq by newly arriving U.S. troops pushed insurgent groups into other regions, causing a rise in violence in northern and eastern provinces such as Diyala and Nineveh, the Pentagon said in a quarterly report to Congress on Iraqi security. (latimes.com)
- The report documents the movement of significant numbers of Sunni insurgents linked to Al Qaeda in Iraq, confirming anecdotal reports of Al Qaeda fighters leaving Al Anbar and setting up new bases in Diyala province, where U.S. military officials have requested more troops. (latimes.com)
- In the end, of course, US troops were booted out of Iraq, while the war in Afghanistan continues to this day as a dismally devolving stalemate, now wracked by " green-on-blue " or "insider" attacks on US forces, while the general himself returned to Washington as CIA director to run covert wars in Pakistan and Yemen before retiring in disgrace following a sex scandal. (motherjones.com)
- It's been propagated by the right and accepted by the left in the US that the surge, which is really an escalation of troops […] by 30,000 soldiers, somehow brought peace to Iraq," Rosen says. (democracynow.org)
- When asked about how a U.S. withdrawal from Iraq might work, senior commanders have talked about "thinning" the lines - gradually reducing the number of U.S. troops in an area as Iraqi forces take over, rather than pulling out entire units. (voanews.com)
- Speaking via satellite from Iraq, Colonel Caraccilo says when his 4,000-strong brigade leaves Iraq as scheduled next month, it will be replaced by fewer than 2,000 troops. (voanews.com)
- U.S. troops have been reduced in other areas, but without the structure Colonel Caraccilo has put in place. (voanews.com)
- The truth is that the surge puts more American troops in harm's way to destroy the insurgent cells in Sunni Arab areas of Baghdad and western Iraq, which have waged a guerilla war against the occupation since the 2003 invasion and secondly, it is aimed at weakening and, if possible, shattering the Shiite movement that is loyal to cleric Moqtada al-Sadr. (hermes-press.com)
- The Mahdi Army has generally obeyed Sadr, although there have been relatively minor clashes with occupation troops in Diwaniya, to the south of Baghdad, and Iraq s second largest city Basra. (hermes-press.com)
- On December 21, 1915, German Generalfeldmarschall Colmar von der Goltz arrived at Baghdad and changed the name of the Command as the Iraq Army (Irak Ordusu). (wikipedia.org)
- Specialist Marc Hall, aka hip hop artist Marc Watercus, was looking forward to the end of his U.S. Army service in February and never going back to Iraq, when commanders decided to "stop-loss" him-the policy that allows military officials to keep soldiers longer than their service contracts state. (infowars.com)
- The Islamic Army in Iraq claimed in December 2005 that it had killed the pair. (nbcnews.com)
- Local media reported hundreds of ambulances and dozens of army helicopters mobilised for rescue operations including in rural areas. (news24.com)
- This area in the past was destroyed by army attacks by chemical weapons. (springer.com)
- Surrounded by high-ranking U.S. Army officials in the unruffled downtown of Ramadi, Iraq, the last thing Spc. (adn.com)
- The defeat of Saddam Hussein's army and the toppling of his regime would spawn a new democratic Iraq, the example of which would ignite the flames of freedom across the Middle East. (slate.com)
- 11/28/2006 - Yuma, AZ --Portrait of SGT Frank Sandoval in his Army dress uniform November 28, 2005 in Yuma,AZ, on the first anniversary of the day he suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury in Iraq. (mercurynews.com)
- Over the last two years, I've discovered documents of the Defense Intelligence Agency proving beyond a doubt that, contrary to the Geneva Convention, the U.S. government intentionally used sanctions against Iraq to degrade the country's water supply after the Gulf War. (thirdworldtraveler.com)
- BAGHDAD - Thousands of Iraqi Kurdish mourners, Iraqi officials and world dignitaries attended the funeral of Jalal Talabani, the country's first president in a post-Saddam Hussein Iraq and once a symbol of national unity. (nationalpost.com)
- Road density is the ratio of the length of the country's total road network to the country's land area. (nationmaster.com)
- While its proven oil reserves of 112 billion barrels puts Iraq second in world rankings, behind only Saudi Arabia , the United States Department of Energy estimates that up to 90 percent of the country's oil resources remain unexplored. (newworldencyclopedia.org)
- He is Dr Chris Busby, the British radiation expert, Fellow of the University of Liverpool in the Faculty of Medicine and UK representative on the European Committee on Radiation Risk, talking about the best kept secret of this war: the fact that, by illegally using hundreds of tons of depleted uranium (DU) against Iraq, Britain and America have gravely endangered not only the Iraqis but the whole world. (thetruthseeker.co.uk)
- Our judgment was that actually the Shia of Iraq were Iraqis first and Shia second, and that Iraqi nationalism would triumph Shiism in any draw to Tehran. (pbs.org)
- Advances Have Cut Combat Deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan ( Advances in several different areas-inc. (bio-medicine.org)
- Advances in several different areas-including armored vests and other protective gear, streamlined systems for evacuation and casualty management, and new medical approaches-have combined to produce significant improvement// in the chances of survival for U.S. casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to a Special Editorial in the November/December issue of The Journal of Craniofacial Surgery. (bio-medicine.org)
- Ghalib H., Yaqub M., Al-Abadi A. (2019) Hydrogeochemical Modeling and Isotopic Assessment of the Quaternary Aquifer at Ali al-Garbi Area in Misaan Governorate, South of Iraq. (springer.com)
- Gen. Dunford invited Mr. Kushner and Mr. Bossert to meet with Iraqi leaders, senior U.S. advisors, and visit with U.S. forces in the field to receive an update on the status of the counter-ISIS (an acronym for the Islamic State group) campaign in Iraq and Syria," Hicks said. (nbcbayarea.com)
- Munitions are unaccounted for in areas of Iraq now under control of ISIS. (nytimes.com)
- Media and government officials continued to state Peshmerga and the PMF prevented displaced Sunni Arabs, Yezidis, Turkmen, and others from returning to their homes in some areas liberated from ISIS. (state.gov)
- In areas that remained under its control, ISIS committed individual and mass killings, engaging in rape, kidnapping, random detentions and mass abductions, torture, abduction and forced conversion of non-Muslim male children, and the enslavement and sex trafficking of women and girls from minority religious communities. (state.gov)
- In areas no longer under direct ISIS control, it launched suicide bombings and vehicle-borne improvised explosive device (VBIED) attacks against all segments of society, including Shia Muslims, whom ISIS considered heretics. (state.gov)
- From January 1 to June 30, the UN Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI) reported 5,706 civilian casualties resulting from ISIS attacks, including 2,429 persons killed and 3,277 wounded. (state.gov)
- Violence continued throughout the year, largely fueled by the actions of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS). (state.gov)
- On August 15, Secretary Tillerson stated that, "ISIS is clearly responsible for genocide against Yezidis, Christians, and Shia Muslims in areas it controls or has controlled. (state.gov)
- Brazil's president Thursday decreed the creation of one of the world's largest environmental protection areas in the Amazon to combat illegal logging and rising violence after the killing of a prominent U.S. human rights activist. (enn.com)
- Some Yezidis, Christian leaders, and NGOs reported occurrences of harassment and abuses by Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) Peshmerga and Asayish (internal security) forces, including Asayish-imposed requirements for security permits, which impeded the movement of Yezidis between Dohuk Province and the Sinjar area. (state.gov)
- General Jabbar Yawar, secretary-general of the Peshmerga Ministry of Iraq's Kurdistan region, told RFE/RL's Radio Free Iraq on October 20 that the ministry is 'preparing to send fighters and heavy weapons to Kobani through Turkey. (rferl.org)
- Talabani's death in Germany on Tuesday came as Iraq struggles to manage the fallout of a controversial referendum on Kurdish independence spearheaded by his long-time Iraqi Kurdish political rival, Masoud Barzani. (nationalpost.com)
- The Kurdish people within Iraq have grappled with various political statuses over their history. (wikipedia.org)
- in Kurdish populated areas. (wikipedia.org)
- The contribution, provided to UNDP's Funding Facility for Immediate Stabilization (FFIS) , will help thousands of people as they try to restart their lives in areas which have been retaken from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL). (iraq-businessnews.com)
- Though white phosphorus shells are not uncommon in the military, and often used as smokescreens, the high temperature at which it burns, and the toxic chemicals emitted makes them wholly unsuitable for populated areas, and their use in any densely populated area or as an incendiary are widely considered war crimes. (antiwar.com)
- Your earthquake experience is not only important for science, but also for people in the area as well as our global readership. (earthquake-report.com)
- At least 332 people were killed in Iran and Iraq when a magnitude 7.3 earthquake jolted the region on Sunday, state media in the two countries said, and rescuers were searching for dozens trapped under rubble in the mountainous area. (japantimes.co.jp)
- powerful earthquake shook the Iran-Iraq border late Sunday, killing 207 people and injuring 1,686 in the mountainous region of Iran alone, Iranian state media said. (spokesman.com)
- A powerful earthquake shook the Iran-Iraq border killing more than two hundreds people, Iranian state media said. (news24.com)
- Tehran - Iranian rescue workers dug through rubble in a hunt for survivors on November 13 after a major earthquake struck the Iran-Iraq border, killing more than 300 and injuring thousands. (news24.com)
- Precipitation occurs in Iraq during the winter and spring, but it falls primarily in the northern mountains,' it says. (thirdworldtraveler.com)
- In a ceremony in Baghdad today, Sweden signed a US$4 million agreement with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) to support stabilization in newly liberated areas of Iraq. (iraq-businessnews.com)
- Sweden's support to stabilization constitutes an important part of our broader engagement for peace and reconciliation in Iraq. (iraq-businessnews.com)
- UNDP's Funding Facility supports stabilization in areas newly liberated from ISIL. (iraq-businessnews.com)
- To contribute to the stabilization of the area and reduce poverty and economic inequalities through sustainable agriculture development. (fao.org)
- ShaMaran Petroleum has reported the results of the Atrush-3 appraisal well ("AT-3") drilled in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. (iraq-businessnews.com)
- Iraqi Kurdistan is an autonomous region in northern Iraq, covering 40,643 square kilometres (15,692 sq mi) and has a population of approximately 5.8 million people. (wikipedia.org)
- The 7.3-magnitude quake hit a border area 30km southwest of Halabja in Iraqi Kurdistan at around 21:20 (18:20 GMT) on November 12, when many people would have been at home, the US Geological Survey said. (news24.com)
- The government's reassertion of federal authority in disputed areas bordering the Iraqi Kurdistan Region (IKR), after the Kurdistan Region's September 25 independence referendum, resulted in reports of abuses and atrocities by the security forces, including those affiliated with the PMF. (state.gov)
- The threat is no less acute today as Iraq wages a bitter battle to try to rid the Islamic State from its territory. (nbcbayarea.com)
- Last weekend more than 250 people were killed by a bomb claimed by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil). (telegraph.co.uk)
- Even after a three-year military campaign to drive Islamic State (IS) and its subsequent defeat, Iraq has continued to grapple with political, sectarian, and internal conflicts, fueling the spread of extremism. (thenextweb.com)
- Ambassador Galbraith, former U.S. Ambassador to Croatia and author of the new book, Unintended Consequences: How the War in Iraq Strengthened America?s Enemies, says that there are currently no prospects, plans, or strategies for achieving an acceptable level of democracy or national unity in Iraq, and therefore, America has already lost the war. (voanews.com)
- others were forced into squalid refugee resettlement areas. (motherjones.com)
- The rest are in Turkey, Lebanon and Iraq. (bbc.co.uk)
- Iraq, a triangle of mountains, desert, and fertile river valley, is bounded on the east by Iran, on the north by Turkey, on the west by Syria and Jordan, and on the south by Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. (factmonster.com)
- Iraq is bordered by Jordan to the west, Syria to the northwest, Turkey to the north, Iran to the east, and Kuwait and Saudi Arabia to the south. (newworldencyclopedia.org)
- The Euphrates originates in Turkey, is augmented by the Khabur River in Syria, and flows through Iraq from the northwest to join the Tigris at Al Qurnah. (newworldencyclopedia.org)
- The Tigris also rises in Turkey, is significantly augmented in Iraq by the Khabur River, the Great Zab, the Little Zab, and the Uzaym, above Baghdad, and the Diyala, which joins it below the city. (newworldencyclopedia.org)
- In recent months, I have been increasingly alarmed by the evidence from inside Iraq that despite sanctions, despite the damage done to his capability in the past, despite the UN Security Council Resolutions expressly outlawing it, and despite his denials, Saddam Hussein is continuing to develop WMD, and with them the ability to inflict real damage upon the region, and the stability of the world. (globalsecurity.org)
- The automatic injection devices filled with atropine reached Iraq in the months leading up to the U.S.-led invasion, according to the labels, which were printed in English and Arabic. (mcclatchydc.com)
- A s a Battlegroup Commander during the invasion of Iraq, I can say that all of the calamities that followed the ousting of Saddam Hussein were known about or feared before military action was begun. (telegraph.co.uk)
- Continued Iraqi noncompliance with UNSC resolutions over a period of 12 years resulted in the US-led invasion of Iraq in March 2003 and the ouster of the SADDAM Husayn regime. (travlang.com)
- Independent journalist Nir Rosen joins us in our firehouse studio soon after returning from three months in Iraq, his latest visit since moving to Baghdad to cover the US invasion in 2003. (democracynow.org)
- Nir Rosen has just returned from three months in Iraq, his latest since moving to Baghdad to cover the US invasion in 2003. (democracynow.org)
- Iraq is an unstable state composed of warring national and tribal groups that are the focus of increased attention from the West as a result of a United States -led invasion in 2003 and the ensuing turmoil. (newworldencyclopedia.org)
- London - Former British prime minister Tony Blair insisted on Wednesday he had acted in Britain's "best interests" after the Chilcot inquiry delivered a damning verdict into his handling of the 2003 invasion of Iraq. (news24.com)
- Under the pact, the American military must withdraw from Iraq's urban areas by June 30, 2009, and the rest of the country by the end of 2011. (nbcnews.com)
- This victory will come, he said, "when the terrorists and Saddamists can no longer threaten Iraq's democracy, when the Iraqi security forces can provide for the safety of their own citizens, and when Iraq is not a safe-haven for terrorists to plot new attacks on our nation. (slate.com)
- The U.S. commander in what was one of Iraq's most violent areas says he has developed a Transition Task Force to give Iraqi forces responsibility for security in the area, and he believes the model can be used throughout the country. (voanews.com)
- It spells out how sanctions will prevent Iraq from supplying clean water to its citizens. (thirdworldtraveler.com)
- With no domestic sources of both water treatment replacement parts and some essential chemicals, Iraq will continue attempts to circumvent United Nations Sanctions to import these vital commodities. (thirdworldtraveler.com)
- As an alternative, 'Iraq could try convincing the United Nations or individual countries to exempt water treatment supplies from sanctions for humanitarian reasons,' the document says. (thirdworldtraveler.com)
- Nureddin Bey arrived in June to take command of the Iraq Area Command and he was appointed the Governor of Basra Province and Baghdad Province at the same time. (wikipedia.org)
- As the conflict in Iraq rages on he describes the situation facing the Iraqi people and our program to address the medical needs of the displaced population in Abu Ghraib district. (msf.org.au)
- With a population of nearly 40 million - of which almost half is below the age of 20 - Iraq is home to the world's fifth largest proven oil reserves, and boasts a GDP of $225 billion (for reference, the US' GDP in 2018 was $20 trillion). (thenextweb.com)
- Some 259 000 people live in the areas around these towns, according to the latest population census. (news24.com)
- Halabja Saidsadiq Basin is located in the northeastern part of Iraq covering an area of about 1278 km 2 with a population of about 190,727. (springer.com)
- while there has been voluntary relocation of many Christian families to northern Iraq, recent reporting indicates that the overall Christian population may have dropped by as much as 50% since the fall of the Saddam HUSSEIN regime in 2003, with many fleeing to Syria, Jordan, and Lebanon (2010 est. (factmonster.com)
- He believes the 30,000 Iraqi security personnel in the area can continue to keep the peace with coalition support, even though nearly two thirds of the Iraqi forces are paid volunteers in the "Sons of Iraq" program. (voanews.com)
- New Mexico Senator Pete Domenici has become the latest Republican to abandon the Bush administration on Iraq. (democracynow.org)
- FILE - In this Dec. 14, 2008 file photo, then U.S. President George W. Bush, right, walks with Iraqi President Jalal Talabani in Baghdad, Iraq. (nationalpost.com)
- WASHINGTON - Violence in Iraq rose slightly in the three months ended in May because of increased attacks in cities and provinces that had been relatively peaceful before the Bush administration's troop buildup, the Pentagon reported Wednesday. (latimes.com)
- But the rise in violence elsewhere reveals an early trend that could further complicate the Bush administration's goals in Iraq. (latimes.com)
- As explosions continued to rock the Iraqi capital, then-US President George W. Bush announced, "At this hour, American and coalition forces are in the early stages of military operations to disarm Iraq, to free its people and to defend the world from grave danger. (thenextweb.com)
- President Bush at that point is under a lot of domestic pressure here in the United States about making Iraq a success. (pbs.org)
- As the toll of Americans killed in Iraq topped 4,000 this week, President Bush publicly vowed "to make sure that those lives were not lost in vain"-that the war's outcome "will merit the sacrifice" and that "our strategy going forward" will be to "achieve victory. (slate.com)
- U.S. President George Bush says he is confident an agreement with Baghdad on the future status of American forces in Iraq can be approved before their U.N. mandate expires on December 31. (voanews.com)
- It's a tale of the geopolitical restructuring of the entire area coupled with the murderous seizure of energy reserves, which thus far has transferred over $505 billion to cabal "defense industry" corporations, and the looting of billions of American tax-payer dollars by Bush cronies. (hermes-press.com)
Weapons of mass des2
- Following Kuwait's liberation, the UN Security Council (UNSC) required Iraq to scrap all weapons of mass destruction and long-range missiles and to allow UN verification inspections. (travlang.com)
- But in light of the debate about Iraq and Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD), I wanted to share with the British public the reasons why I believe this issue to be a current and serious threat to the UK national interest. (globalsecurity.org)
- During the signing ceremony, UNDP Resident Representative and UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator for Iraq, Ms. Lise Grande, said: "Conditions in newly liberated areas are some of the most difficult in the country. (iraq-businessnews.com)
- The troop surge has been one of several factors that have made life a little less treacherous in Iraq this past year. (slate.com)
- Another is the "Sunni Awakening," the alliances of convenience between U.S. forces and Sunni insurgents against the common enemy of al-Qaida in Iraq-alliances that were initiated by the Sunnis before the surge began. (slate.com)
- His latest dispatch from Iraq, "The Myth of the Surge," appeared last month in Rolling Stone magazine last month. (democracynow.org)
- World citizens particularly need to understand the truth about Iraq now, because a horrendous new outrage is being perpetrated in Iraq, under cover of Bush's so-called surge policy. (hermes-press.com)
- The lie being told about the surge is that its purpose is to stop or reduce violence in Baghdad and throughout Iraq. (hermes-press.com)
- In August 1990, Iraq seized Kuwait, but was expelled by US-led, UN coalition forces during the Gulf War of January-February 1991. (travlang.com)
- In billions of metric tonnes, urban-area CO2 emissions were estimated at about 15 in 1990 and 25 in 2010, with forecasts of growth to 36.5 by 2030, assuming business as usual. (wattsupwiththat.com)
Republic of I2
- In the year 1958 Abdul Karim Qasim made a coup against the British and the Republic of Iraq was established. (wikipedia.org)
- The Republic of Iraq, commonly known as Iraq, is a Middle Eastern country spanning most of the northwestern end of the Zagros mountain range, the eastern part of the Syrian Desert, and the northern part of the Arabian Desert . (newworldencyclopedia.org)
Government of I2
- The spokesman added that Kushner was "traveling on behalf of the president to express the president's support and commitment to the Government of Iraq and U.S. personnel currently engaged in the campaign. (nbcbayarea.com)
- Co-chair of the Baker-Hamilton Iraq Study Group, faux-Democrat Lee H. Hamilton, recently said the "government of Iraq needs to show its own citizens soon, and the citizens of the United States, that it is deserving of continued support. (hermes-press.com)
- Five blocks are located at border areas with Iran, three with Kuwait and one is offshore in Gulf waters, a presentation by oil ministry officials at the conference showed. (reuters.com)
- Day curfew was on Thursday lifted in Jalandhar, Phagwara, Hoshiarpur, Malout and Ludhiana in Punjab following improvement in the situation in the areas hit by violence following the attack on a sect leader in Vienna. (hindustantimes.com)
- Wetlands that once sheltered Marsh Arabs and a host of wildlife in southern Iraq are being partly restored and could offer a haven once again if it is done right, experts said Saturday. (enn.com)
- Attacks have increased in areas that were relatively peaceful before the U.S. buildup, the Pentagon reports. (latimes.com)
- There, Sunni extremists linked to Al Qaeda in Iraq have attempted to reignite sectarian conflicts through a series of "high-profile attacks against civilians," the study says. (latimes.com)
- Just a year ago, Colonel Caraccilo's area south of Baghdad was among the most violent in the country, with dozens of roadside bombs and other attacks by insurgents every month, and dozens of U.S. and Iraqi casualties. (voanews.com)
- Humanitarians do not have access to these areas, hence their extreme concern for the safety of civilians who are stranded in the conflict zone and trying to leave. (unocha.org)
- First, no attempt was made to understand what would be needed in a post-conflict Iraq and what steps should be taken to stabilise the country in its immediate aftermath. (telegraph.co.uk)
- The need for reconstructive surgery in Iraq is very big due to the continuous conflict since 2003 and the financial situation our country is facing," says Dr Omar. (msf.org.au)
- Iraq has a narrow section of coastline measuring 58 km (36 mi) on the northern Persian Gulf . (newworldencyclopedia.org)
- The quake struck along a 1 500km fault line between the Arabian and Eurasian tectonic plates, a belt extending through western Iran and into northeastern Iraq. (news24.com)
- New York) - Syrian government and some opposition forces are preventing the delivery of humanitarian assistance to hundreds of thousands of civilians in areas under siege in Syria . (hrw.org)
- The Lehigh Valley's congressional delegation was looking for a clear plan from President Barack Obama on Wednesday as he outlined more aggressive military steps for combating Islamic militants in Iraq and Syria. (orlandosentinel.com)
- Meanwhile, Iraqi Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi said in the city of Najaf on October 20 that there would be no foreign boots on the ground to help Iraqi forces recapture areas seized by IS militants. (rferl.org)
- The view of the Sunni states was that the Shia in Iraq would simply be tools of Iran and that a Shia government in Iraq would be a leading element of an Iranian crescent extending all the way to Lebanon. (pbs.org)
- But despite carrying out its first airdrops in Kobani and intensifying its air strikes, the U.S. military says its top priority remains Iraq, where IS swept through much of the Sunni Arab heartland north and west of Baghdad in June. (rferl.org)
- The activists and residents said that the Syrian government has for months laid siege to their areas, cutting electricity and communications and preventing food, medicine, and aid workers from reaching civilians in need. (hrw.org)
- Over the past several months The Nation has interviewed fifty combat veterans of the Iraq War from around the United States in an effort to investigate the effects of the four-year-old occupation on average Iraqi civilians. (thirdworldtraveler.com)
- In late 1915, the corps was structured as follows: Iraq Area Command (Commander: Miralay Nureddin Bey) XIII Corps 35th Division, 38th Division XVIII Corps (Commander: Miralay Halil Bey) 45th Division, 51st Division Birinci Dünya Harbi'nde Türk Harbi: Irak-İran Cephesi, 1914-1918, Vol. III, Part I, Genelkurmay Basım Evi, 1979, p. 42. (wikipedia.org)
- Now, a brigade commander in the area south of Baghdad that used to be known as the Triangle of Death, says he is implementing such a plan, and it could work for the entire country. (voanews.com)