A republic in the Greater Antilles in the West Indies. Its capital is Santo Domingo. With Haiti, it forms the island of Hispaniola - the Dominican Republic occupying the eastern two thirds, and Haiti, the western third. It was created in 1844 after a revolt against the rule of President Boyer over the entire island of Hispaniola, itself visited by Columbus in 1492 and settled the next year. Except for a brief period of annexation to Spain (1861-65), it has been independent, though closely associated with the United States. Its name comes from the Spanish Santo Domingo, Holy Sunday, with reference to its discovery on a Sunday. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p338, 506 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p151)
Encyclopedias as Topic
Dictionaries as Topic
Molecular Sequence Annotation
Organic chemistry methodology that mimics the modular nature of various biosynthetic processes. It uses highly reliable and selective reactions designed to "click" i.e., rapidly join small modular units together in high yield, without offensive byproducts. In combination with COMBINATORIAL CHEMISTRY TECHNIQUES, it is used for the synthesis of new compounds and combinatorial libraries.
The religion stemming from the life, teachings, and death of Jesus Christ: the religion that believes in God as the Father Almighty who works redemptively through the Holy Spirit for men's salvation and that affirms Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior who proclaimed to man the gospel of salvation. (From Webster, 3d ed)
The Christian faith, practice, or system of the Catholic Church, specifically the Roman Catholic, the Christian church that is characterized by a hierarchic structure of bishops and priests in which doctrinal and disciplinary authority are dependent upon apostolic succession, with the pope as head of the episcopal college. (From Webster, 3d ed; American Heritage Dictionary, 2d college ed)
An ancient country in western Asia, by the twentieth century divided among the former USSR, Turkey, and Iran. It was attacked at various times from before the 7th century B.C. to 69 B.C. by Assyrians, Medes, Persians, the Greeks under Alexander, and the Romans. It changed hands frequently in wars between Neo-Persian and Roman Empires from the 3d to 7th centuries and later under Arabs, Seljuks, Byzantines, and Mongols. In the 19th century Armenian nationalism arose but suffered during Russo-Turkish hostilities. It became part of the Soviet Republic in 1921, with part remaining under Turkey. (Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988)
The name given to all Christian denominations, sects, or groups rising out of the Reformation. Protestant churches generally agree that the principle of authority should be the Scriptures rather than the institutional church or the pope. (from W.L. Reese, Dictionary of Philosophy and Religion, 1999)
Maps as Topic
Levinson, David (1998). Ethnic groups worldwide: a ready reference handbook. Greenwood Publishing Group. pp. 345-6. ISBN 978-1- ... "American Citizens Living Abroad by Country" (PDF). US State Department. Archived from the original (PDF) on February 25, 2011. ... Preschool education is organized in different cycles and serves the 2-4 age group and the 4-6 age group. Preschool education is ... Ethnic immigrant groups in the country include West Asians-mostly Lebanese, Syrians, and Palestinians; the current president, ...
... especially those from the Kamba ethnic group. Akothee's career in music started in 2008 and she has since released many solo ... She has also scooped several awards at home and abroad. They include African Muzik Magazine Awards, AFRIMMA - Best Female ...
3,717 of these were ethnic Moldovans and 168 from other ethnic groups. Due to the economic situation around 800 inhabitants ... work abroad. In the village is a Romanian language school with 560 pupils and a kindergarten with 100 children ...
Diaspora politics in the United States
... interest groups'. Those groups established by ethnic identity groups are referred as to ethnic interest groups. Homeland ... "Marketing the American Creed Abroad: Diasporas in the UN and Their Homelands." Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-64531-X ... ethnic identity groups establish formal organizations devoted to promoting group cohesiveness and addressing group concerns." ... Diaspora studies Ethnic interest groups in the United States Ethnic nationalism Hyphenated American Beck, Robert J. and Thomas ...
There are no official data on the number of Isfanans who work abroad. Representatives of many ethnic groups can be found in the ... the Kyrgyz become the largest ethnic group. According to data from 2005, the ethnic make-up of Isfana and the six subordinated ... "Kyrgyzstan: Widening Ethnic Divisions in the South" (PDF). International Crisis Group. Brussels. 29 April 2012. Archived from ... Uzbeks are the largest ethnic group in Isfana. However, if the populations of the six subordinated villages are included, ...
Demography of Sheffield
According to BBC's Born Abroad Sheffield has large clusters of Malaysians and Iranians. Distribution of ethnic groups in ... The South Asian ethnic group which is people of Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi origin is the second largest ethnic group in ... Chinese or other ethnic group' heading. New category created for the 2011 census By far the largest ethnic group in Sheffield ... Other small ethnic groups in Sheffield include around 300 people of Chilean ancestry and around 300 people from Vietnam. ...
There are no official data on the number of Suluktans who work abroad. Representatives of many ethnic groups can be found in ... According to official data, the Kyrgyz are the largest ethnic group. According to the 2009 Census, the ethnic make-up of ... "Kyrgyzstan: Widening Ethnic Divisions in the South" (PDF). International Crisis Group. Brussels. 29 April 2012. Archived from ... Like in other Kyrgyzstani settlements where there are large groups of ethnic minorities, virtually all administrative positions ...
The dishes for the reunion dinners are different for each Chinese ethnic groups. Family members from abroad will also try to ... An early census of ethnic groups in the British Malay states, conducted by the British in 1835, showed that ethnic Chinese ... Within Malaysia, they represent the second largest ethnic group after the ethnic Malay majority. They are usually simply ... "Nationalism and Ethnic Politics. Taylor & Francis Group. 16: 205 ( PAGE 15/25 in PDF). doi:10.1080/13537113.2010.490757. ...
The Zulu people are a South African ethnic group. Many Zulu musicians have become a major part of South African music. A number ... of Zulu-folk derived styles have become well known across South Africa and abroad. Kwaito is a music genre that emerged in ...
History of Syracuse, New York
Immigration from abroad introduced many ethnic groups to the city, particularly German, Irish, Italian, and Polish. African ... A group of Jesuit priests, soldiers, and coureurs des bois (including Pierre Esprit Radisson) set up a mission at the ... Syracuse became an active center of the abolitionist movement, due in large part to the influence of Gerrit Smith and a group ...
He developed and hosted a 32 episode series on the foods of Israel's different ethnic groups. The show was purchased by the ... A sequel series on different national cuisines was filmed abroad. He also hosted three seasons of a cooking show called " ... He then left Israel to study cooking abroad, where he studied Chinese cuisine in Taiwan before apprenticing at upscale ...
Demographics of Iran
BBC - Iran in Maps - Map of Iranian ethnic groups & population density. *Iran: A Vast Diaspora Abroad and Millions of Refugees ... Languages and ethnic groups. Main articles: Iranian peoples, Turkic people, Peoples of the Caucasus in Iran, Ethnic ... Iranian citizens abroad. Main article: Iranian citizens abroad. The term "Iranian citizens abroad" or " Iranian/Persian ... give Iran's ethnic groups as following: Persians (including Lurs and other sub-groups of Persians) 71%, Azerbaijanis 16%, Kurds ...
Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations
... build cooperation and coalitions with diverse ethnic, religious and civic groups and other sectors of American society; foster ... combat terrorism at home and abroad, strengthen domestic security and safeguard American Jewish institutions; build support at ... The American Jewish community of the period was experiencing a large growth in its similar policy groups (such as the American ... Malcolm Hoenlein, the executive vice-chairman of the conference, stated that the award was given to express the group's ...
"Ethnic group profiles". stats.govt.nz. "Population Usually Resident and Present in the State who Speak a Language other than ... UN migration estimates of the international migrant stock 2015 suggest that 1,998,764 people from Somalia were living abroad. ... They form one of the largest ethnic groups on the African continent, and cover one of the most expansive landmasses by a single ... Within traditional Somali society (as in other ethnic groups of the Horn of Africa and the wider region), there has been social ...
They are a creole ethnic group in that their ancestors came from various parts of Indonesia and abroad. Before the 19th century ... These ethnic groups merged and formed around the 18th to 19th centuries. It was not until the late 19th or early 20th century ... Foreign and mixed ethnic groups were also included; such as Indos, Mardijkers, Portuguese, Dutch, Arabs, Chinese and Indians, ... Subsequently, other ethnic groups followed suit; they were Malays, Sundanese, Javanese, Minangkabaus, Buginese, and Makassar. ...
The most common ethnic groups are Italian and Spanish (including Galicians and Basques). It is estimated that up to 25 million ... or their descendants abroad. Argentina is a multiethnic society, which means that it is home to people of many different ethnic ... Ethnic groups. Main articles: Ethnography of Argentina and Immigration to Argentina ... Other ethnic Natives come from the immigration from neighboring countries, like Bolivia, Paraguay, Peru and Ecuador.[citation ...
Telecommunications in Iraq
... ethnic, or religious groups; satellite TV is available to an estimated 70% of viewers and many of the broadcasters are based ... abroad (2007); ~21 stations (2004). Radios: ~4.6 million (1997).[needs update] Television sets: ~1.8 million television sets ( ... ethnic and sectarian forces, terrorist and extremist groups, or criminal gangs. Libel and defamation are offenses under the ... ethnic, or religious groups; transmissions of multiple international radio broadcasters are available (2007); ~80 stations ( ...
... forming a group known as Cape Malays. Some ethnic groups outside of Indonesia also have Indonesian ancestry; for example, the ... A Minangkabau man at the time of young adulthood (20-30 years old) is often encouraged to go abroad as part of the Minangkabau ... Other Indonesian ethnic groups such as the Bugis, Banjar, Madura, Aceh, Batak, and Javanese have also been traveling overseas ... Since ancient times, people from various ethnic groups of Indonesia (then known as the Malay archipelago or "Nusantara") have ...
Ethnic Egyptians are by far the largest ethnic group in the country, constituting 99.7% of the total population. Ethnic ... Remittances, money earned by Egyptians living abroad and sent home, reached a record US$21 billion in 2012, according to the ... Ethnic Greeks also made up a large Greek Orthodox population in the past. Likewise, Armenians made up the then larger Armenian ... Liberal and secular groups walked out of the constituent assembly because they believed that it would impose strict Islamic ...
United World College in Mostar
UWC Mostar students come from all ethnic groups in Bosnia and Herzegovina as well as from the region and abroad. All students ... IB Group 2 Second Language: English B, French Ab Initio, German B, Spanish B, Spanish Ab Initio. IB Group 3 : Economics, ... IB Group 4 Sciences: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and ESS. IB Group 5 Mathematics: Mathematical Studies(in one or two years), ... Mostar was chosen for hosting UWC as the most striking example of the post-war ethnic division and tensions. The UWC Mostar is ...
Burma contains over 100 different ethnic groups, though the term "Burmese" can be used to refer to the Bamar ethnicity.[ ... Burmese diaspora refers to citizens of Burma (Myanmar) who have moved abroad, regardless of ethnicity. ...
Freedom of movement
Each trip abroad must be approved by the government, which is more difficult for members of the Uyghur ethnic group. Saudi ... Mass expulsion shall be that which is aimed at national, racial, ethnic or religious groups. The ideals of the Charter are, in ... Citizens have the right to travel freely both within the country and abroad, to change their place of residence, to emigrate, ... The freedom of a citizen to travel abroad may be restricted due to his / her citizenship duty or criminal investigation or ...
Ramat Gan Safari
It has more than 700,000 visitors annually from all social and ethnic groups of Israel as well as tourists from abroad. The ... Seniors group tours: the focus is on the third age in the animal kingdom. Schools connected in depth with the Safari: A nearby ... The current family group of gorillas, established in 1997, is well known for a stable social structure and its fertility. ' ... V.I.P tour: special behind-the-scenes tour for small groups. Workshops for families: the theme of parents and offspring is the ...
Many nationally distributed ethnic newspapers are based in Brooklyn. Over 60 ethnic groups, writing in 42 languages, publish ... In addition, many newspapers published abroad, such as The Daily Gleaner and The Star of Jamaica, are available in Brooklyn.[ ... Sunset Park's population is 42% Latino, made up of these various ethnic groups. Brooklyn's main Latino groups are Puerto Ricans ... Major ethnic publications include the Brooklyn-Queens Catholic paper The Tablet, Hamodia, an Orthodox Jewish daily and The ...
Some Latgalians consider themselves to be an ethnic group separate from Latvians. The majority opinion is, however, that ... Latgalians continued to publish books and periodicals abroad. Publishing in Latgalian in Latvia resumed during the Third ... The Latgalians (Latgalian: latgalīši, Latvian: latgalieši) are the ethnic Latvians of Latgale, who speak Latgalian, a distinct ... themselves as separate from Latvians is unknown because the Latvian government does not identify Latgalians as a separate group ...
Federação Nacional dos Trabalhadores de Angola
FNTA was largely based in the Bazombo ethnic group. Soon after its foundation, FNTA began seeking financial support from trade ... union bodies abroad (as did many other exiled groups in Kinshasa). FNTA appealed to the American AFL-CIO for material support. ...
The Bogale Township has a very rich and diverse culture due to its high numbers of ethnic groups. Traditionally, the "naming ... Environmentalists abroad have been critical of the rate in which trees have been cut down in the region. The current political ... In these small villages where large amounts of ethnic minorities lived, there was widespread, cruel ethnic cleansing being ... The current military Junta's response or lack of response to the crisis has made light of the brutality of the regime abroad. ...
He was from the Ibibio ethnic group who are predominant in Akwa Ibom State, while she was of Igbo and Efik heritage. She later ... In 1946, she had the opportunity to study abroad at what is now Dublin Institute of Technology, Dublin Ireland. She earned a ... As leader of the new market group, she was able to garner the trust of a large number of women in the township and turn it into ... She felt that women abroad including those in Britain, were already fighting for civil rights and had more voice in political ...
The main ethnic groups are: Pathans (Swati, Tanoli, Khan khel, Bala khail, Tor khail Hassanzai, Akazai, aka Khel) , Awan, Gujar ... The rest of the population work as expatriates in other locations in Pakistan, or abroad. Others are engaged in local small and ...
... repeatedly stated or implied that Cambodians were an intrinsically superior group to other ethnic or national groups ... Access to further education abroad made Sâr part of a tiny elite in Cambodia. He and the 21 other selected students sailed ... These restrictions were initially imposed on the Cham ethnic group before being rolled out across other communities. Pol ... but it was beset by ethnic tensions between the Khmer and Vietnamese. News of the group was censored from the press and it is ...
2000 United States Census
Be Counted In Census, Groups Urge Gay Live-Ins". Pqasb.pqarchiver.com. Retrieved April 25, 2011.. ... Improvements in educational attainment cross racial and ethnic lines; and. *The majority (51%) of U.S. households had access to ... Utah claimed that individuals traveling abroad as religious missionaries should be counted as residents and that the failure to ... The Census Bureau counted members of the military and other federal civilian employees serving abroad as residents of their ...
Although not Communist, the group acknowledged Karl Marx's social philosophy. Niebuhr was among the group of 51 prominent ... as well as Jewish and Catholic ethnics from eastern and southern Europe. They competed for jobs and limited housing, and the ... he was very influential both in the United States and abroad. While many clergy proclaimed themselves pacifists because of ... He was the group's president until it transformed into the Americans for Democratic Action in 1947. ...
Culture of Mongolia
Each ethnic group living in Mongolia has its own deel design distinguished by cut, color, and trimming. Before the revolution, ... The oldest completely passed down work of Mongolian literature is probably also the most well-known abroad: The Secret History ... The play got lost in the early 20th century, but in the meantime other theatre groups had developed. The first professional ...
Conservatism in the United States
It warned members against far-right groups such as the John Birch Society and anti-Semitic groups. By the late 1950s, the ... "Conservative Predominance in the U.S.: A Moment or an Era?", 21 experts from the U.S. and abroad, ponder the future of ... Some such as Samuel P. Huntington argue that multiracial, multi-ethnic, and egalitarian states are inherently unstable. ... religious groups, the elderly, racial minorities, and other disadvantaged groups. [...] The conservatives have shrunk the scope ...
San José, Costa Rica
History of San José, Costa Rica Archived 3 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine, by Spanish Abroad, Inc. Archived 17 August 2007 ... Ethnic groups. *Health. *Languages. *Religion. *Water supply and sanitation. Culture. *Anthem. *Cinema ...
East End of London
Further information: Ethnic groups in London. The Billingsgate Fish Market in the early 19th century ... They also helped the men to go abroad, some to Canada. In October 1786, the Committee funded an ill-fated expedition of 280 ... This latter group particularly became the subject of music hall songs at the turn of the 20th century, with performers such as ... Bangladeshi groups mobilised for self-defence, 7,000 people marched to Hyde Park in protest, and the community became more ...
Ethnic groupsEdit. According to a 2001 Claritas study, Queens was the most diverse county in the United States among counties ... Roughly 2.1% of the population was born in Puerto Rico, a U.S. territory, or abroad to American parents. In addition, 51.2% of ... Among the Hispanic population, Puerto Ricans make up the largest ethnic group at 4.6%, next to Mexicans, who make up 4.2% of ... Among the Asian population, people of Chinese ethnicity make up the largest ethnic group at 10.2% of Queens' population, with ...
Christianity in Turkey
... mostly ethnic Turkish. There is also a small group of ethnic Orthodox-Christian Turks (mostly living in Istanbul or Izmir) who ... but a large amount of the population has fled the region to Istanbul or abroad due to the Kurdish-Turkish conflict (1978- ... They are often confused with ethnic Greeks. Some of them actually have a Greek background, but there are ethnic Turks, who ... Greenwood Publishing Group. ISBN 978-0-313-34215-8.. *^ "Istanbul ordination may worsen life for Christians". Church Times. ...
Culture of Canada
Canada has grown to have thirty four ethnic groups with at least one hundred thousand members each, of which eleven have over ... 2009). The Global Manager's Guide to Living and Working Abroad: Western Europe and the Americas: Western Europe and the ... A group of landscape painters called the Group of Seven developed the first distinctly Canadian style of painting. All ... Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 45. ISBN 978-0-275-97001-7. .. *^ Gil Murray (2003). Nothing on but the radio: a look back at ...
Providence, Rhode Island
"Citizens Financial Group. Retrieved June 6, 2011.. *^ a b "Rhode Island Convention Center - About Us?". Rhode Island Convention ... Providence has several ethnic neighborhoods, notably Federal Hill and the North End (Italian), Fox Point (Portuguese), ... "Sister, Sister: Providence forges ties abroad". Brown Daily Herald. Retrieved March 13, 2015 ... Gale Group. Retrieved May 20, 2009.. *^ "Latino Candidates Achieve Political Milestones in State and Local Races". Hispanically ...
The two largest ethnic groups are the Somali (60%) and the Afar (35%). The Somali clan component is mainly composed of the ... 13th Demi-Brigade of the French Foreign Legion is still stationed in Djibouti as the largest French military presence abroad, ... The Somali (Issa clan) and Afar make up the two largest ethnic groups. Both speak Afroasiatic languages. ... Through close contacts with the adjacent Arabian Peninsula for more than 1,000 years, the Somali and Afar ethnic groups in the ...
Hebrew belongs to the Canaanite group of languages. In turn, the Canaanite languages are a branch of the Northwest Semitic ... Many synagogues in the diaspora, even though Ashkenazi by rite and by ethnic composition, have adopted the "Sephardic" ... as with all speeches by Israeli officials abroad. The bill's author, MK Akram Hasson, stated that the bill was proposed as a ... Eventually, as a result of the local movement he created, but more significantly as a result of the new groups of immigrants ...
Bukharan Jews are an ethnic group from Central Asia who historically practised Judaism and spoke Bukhori, a dialect of the ... The vast bulk of Jews who dwelled abroad in the Second Temple Period did so voluntarily.' (2)'.Diaspora did not await the fall ... Cochin Jews also called Malabar Jews, are the oldest group of Jews in India, with possible roots that are claimed to date back ... These groups have parallel histories sharing many cultural similarities as well as a series of massacres, persecutions and ...
Some Sikh groups abroad even declared themselves as the Khalistani government in exile. ... Gurharpal Singh, Ethnic Conflict in India (2000), Chapters 8 & 9. *^ Gurharpal Singh, Ethnic Conflict in India (2000), Chapter ... Such groups were most active in 1980s and early 1990s and has since receded in activity. These groups are largely defunct in ... The main suspects in the bombing were the members of a Sikh separatist group called the Babbar Khalsa, and other related groups ...
Individuals and groups in food stressful situations will attempt to cope by rationing consumption, finding alternative means to ... it would usually be cheaper for a donor to buy the hoarded food at the inflated price than to import it from abroad." ... including traumatizing and replacing distrusted ethnic populations in strategically important regions, rendering regions ... There is a growing realization among aid groups that giving cash or cash vouchers instead of food is a cheaper, faster, and ...
... the Hanafi Islam became absorbed by the local Shafi'i school and the presence of distinctly ethnic Chinese Muslims dwindled to ... These voyages were long neglected in official Chinese histories but have become well known in China and abroad since the ... Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 12. ISBN 9780313292125.. *^ Deng 2005. *^ Ma Huan. Ying-yai Sheng-lan: The Overall Survey of the ...
Islam in Albania
Nitsiakos, Vassilis (2010). On the border: Transborder mobility, ethnic groups and boundaries along the Albanian-Greek frontier ... "Mosqued objectives:Turkey is sponsoring Islam abroad to extend its prestige and power". The Economist. 21 January 2016. ... An Albanian who did not know one word of Turkish thus was given the ethnic name of Turk and accepted it, no matter how much he ... Westport: Greenwood Publishing Group. ISBN 978-0-275-97628-6. .. CS1 maint: ref=harv (link). ...
Dissolution of the union between Norway and Sweden
... in which successive Norwegian governments insisted that Norway should establish its own consular offices abroad, rather than ...
Other ethnic groups include the Chontalees, Chinantecs, the Huaves and Nahuas. As of 2005, a total of 1,091,502 people were ... The state attracts visitors from Mexico and abroad. The state government has been pushing this sector heavily as a means of ... The Mixtecan language family, as one of the largest and most diverse families in the Oto-Manguean group, includes three groups ... The second largest group are the Mixtecs at just over 240,000 people or 27% of the indigenous population. These people ...
Soviet invasion of Poland
Roshwald, Aviel (2001). Ethnic Nationalism and the Fall of Empires: Central Europe, the Middle East and Russia, 1914-1923. ... Gross, Jan Tomasz (2002). Revolution from Abroad: The Soviet Conquest of Poland's Western Ukraine and Western Belorussia. ... Continuum International Publishing Group. ISBN 978-0-8264-1761-9. .. *. Henderson (1939). Documents concerning German-Polish ... Piotrowski, Tadeusz (1998). Poland's Holocaust: Ethnic Strife: Collaboration with Occupying Forces and Genocide in the Second ...
Along with other entrepreneurial ethnic groups-Lebanese, Syrians, and Cubans-Chinese entrepreneurs were ready targets for the ... Many of the descendants of early migrants have moved abroad, primarily to Canada and the United States. Most Chinese ... Hakka people, Ethnic Chinese in Panama, Jamaican Americans, Jamaican Canadians. Chinese Jamaicans are Jamaicans of Chinese ... The Chinese food culture has survived to a large degree among this group of people. ...
User contributions for Iryna Harpy
Inappropriate for ethnic diasporic group (and unnecessarily distracting). (TW)) (Tag: Undo) *17:43, 19 February 2018 (diff , ... m List of Russian military bases abroad (Reverted 5 edits by 22.214.171.124 (talk): Rv WP:DE by WP:NOTHERE IP. (TW)) (Tag: Undo ... Latvian Canadians (→Notable Latvian Canadians: Section title in keeping with standard across ethnic group articles.) ... A contemporary cremation ceremony is not representative of an ethnic group's cultural history, etc.) ...
Postage stamps and postal history of India
Generally, such usage will lower a collector's estimation of a stamp's value; except those from remote or "used abroad" offices ... Special Protection Group (SPG). Intelligence. *Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPR&D) ... "used abroad" and as well as early Indian postcards, postal stationery and thematic collections. ...
Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 45.. *^ Singh, S.P., Rgvedic Base of the Pasupati Seal of Mohenjo-Daro(Approx 2500-3000 BC), ... He sent missionaries abroad, allowing Buddhism to spread across Asia. Jainism began its golden period during the reign of ... This period was also characterized by a spate of devotional literature in vernacular prose and poetry in the ethnic languages ... Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism share certain key concepts, which are interpreted differently by different groups and ...
... ethnic and national groups around the world. 4. Greenwood Publishing Group. ISBN 978-0-313-32384-3. .. ... Leonard, Karen Isaksen (2007). Locating home: India's Hyderabadis abroad. Stanford University Press. pp. 14 and 248-255. ISBN ... The resulting ethnic mix popularised cultural events such as mushairas (poetic symposia). The Qutb Shahi dynasty ... "World Bank Group. Archived from the original on 27 January 2011. Retrieved 8 February 2011.. ...
In addition, there exist the transitional Middle Belarusian dialect group and the separate West Palyesian dialect group. ... and is spoken abroad, mainly in Ukraine and Russia. Before Belarus gained independence from the Soviet Union in 1991, the ... surviving in the ethnic Belarusian territories in the 19th century. The end of the 18th century (the times of the Divisions of ... Belarusian is one of the East Slavic languages and shares many grammatical and lexical features with other members of the group ...
"Mexico: People; Ethnic groups". CIA World Factbook. Retrieved 26 November 2007.. *^ a b "21 de Marzo Día Internacional de la ... Rising populations put pressure on land, and land hunger and led to "land hunger." Millions of people went abroad in search of ... Argentina: People: Ethnic Groups. World Factbook of CIA *^ Ben Cahoon. "Argentina". worldstatesmen.org. Retrieved 23 July 2015. ... "Ethnic groups". The World Factbook. Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). Retrieved 14 September 2013.. ...
Commonly, the preferred language is just another attribute of separate ethnic groups.[dubious - discuss] Discrimination exists ... "New Benefits for Same-Sex Couples May Be Hard to Implement Abroad". ABC News. June 22, 2009. ... Discriminatory policies towards ethnic minorities include the race-based discrimination against ethnic Indians and Chinese in ... Racial and ethnic discrimination differentiates individuals on the basis of real and perceived racial and ethnic differences ...
Scots born abroad have lower death rates | The University of Edinburgh
People from most ethnic groups who were born abroad but live in Scotland have lower death rates than those born here, a study ... Scots born abroad have lower death rates. People from most ethnic groups who were born abroad but live in Scotland have lower ... Ethnic groups. They found that both males and females in most ethnic minority groups had lower death rates than the White ... Chinese people have the lowest death rates, followed by people from Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi ethnic groups. ...
Dominican Republic - Wikipedia
Levinson, David (1998). Ethnic groups worldwide: a ready reference handbook. Greenwood Publishing Group. pp. 345-6. ISBN 1- ... "Brits Abroad". BBC News. December 6, 2006. Retrieved August 3, 2010.. *^ a b "CCNY Jewish Studies Class to Visit Dominican ... The Dominican Republics population is 70% of racially mixed origin, 16% Black, and 14% White. Ethnic immigrant groups in ... Preschool education is organized in different cycles and serves the 2-4 age group and the 4-6 age group. Preschool education is ...
Nauru facts, information, pictures | Encyclopedia.com articles about Nauru
Ethnic Relations. Ethnic relations between Naruans and other groups brought into the small island, such as Chinese, Filipinos, ... Nauruans are free to travel abroad. In 2000 and 2005, the net migration rate was zero migrants per 1,000 population. In 2001 ... ETHNIC GROUPS. LANGUAGES. RELIGIONS. TRANSPORTATION. HISTORY. GOVERNMENT. POLITICAL PARTIES. LOCAL GOVERNMENT. JUDICIAL SYSTEM ... Kin Groups and Descent. Every Nauruan belongs to an extended kin group consisting of both mothers and fathers relatives as ...
Generation Study Abroad Travel Grants
... status as members of underrepresented racial/ethnic/gender groups; disabilities; and the lack of experience with travel abroad ... Generation Study Abroad Ambassador Requirements. After Travel Grant recipients complete their study abroad experience, they ... The scholarship program is intended to diversify study abroad and to encourage students to go abroad who would otherwise not ... After recipients complete their study abroad experience, they will become Generation Study Abroad Ambassadors. They will be ...
Demographics of Central Asia - Wikipedia
Ethnic groups. See also: Ethnic demography of Kazakhstan, Ethnic groups in Afghanistan, and List of ethnic groups in ... "BBC NEWS - Special Reports - Brits Abroad". News.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 11 January 2018.. ... Ethnic Group Center of population in Central Asia Total roughly estimated population in Central Asia ... Heyer, E. et al., "Genetic diversity and the emergence of ethnic groups in Central Asia", BMC Genetics 10:49 (2009), doi: ...
Nowhere feels safe | Amnesty International
Kazakhs and other predominantly Muslim ethnic groups in northwestern Chinas Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (Xinjiang). ... with Chinese embassies and consulates abroad tasked with collecting information about members of these ethnic groups residing ... TELL CHINA TO STOP TARGETING UYGHURS, KAZAKHS AND OTHER PREDOMINANTLY MUSLIM ETHNIC GROUPS. Send an Email ... Stop all kinds of harassment and intimidation against Uyghurs, Kazakhs and other predominantly Muslim ethnic groups living ...
Project MUSE - Ethnic Chinese in Contemporary Indonesia
9. Reluctant Internationalization: The Case of the Salim Group. Download PDF pp. 154-176 ... Companies often start activities abroad because it can bring advantages ... 10. Is there a Future for Chinese Indonesians?. ... 8. Ethnic Chinese and Ethnic Indonesians: A Love-Hate Relationship. Download PDF pp. 137-153 ... Indonesia -- Ethnic relations.. Related Content. Blurring the Distinction between huaqiao and huaren: Chinas Changing Policy ...
Ethnic groups in Europe - Wikipedia
Born Abroad - Countries of birth, BBC News *^ Kalaydjieva, L; Gresham, D; Calafell, F (2001). "Genetic studies of the Roma ( ... Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ethnic groups in Europe.. Wikimedia Commons has media related to Maps of ethnic groups ... "ethnic group" and "nationality". In the context of European ethnography in particular, the terms ethnic group, people, ... Levinson, David (1998), Ethnic Groups Worldwide: A Ready Reference Handbook, Greenwood Publishing Group, ISBN 978-1-57356-019-1 ...
World Atlas - About Sweden
Ethnic groups: Indigenous Swedes, ethnic Finns, and ethnic Sami.. Immigrants (2010 est.): 14.1% of all people living in Sweden ... are born abroad. In 2009 102,280 people immigrated to Sweden. The immigrant groups are Finns, Iraqis, ex-Yugoslavia nationals, ... where he had been convicted in absentia of membership of a terrorist group. Human rights groups had earlier expressed concern ... The grouping stressed that it was not itself a political party, and went as far as appending its candidates usual party ...
Preserving China's Traditional Ethnic Music
... preserving Chinas traditional ethnic instruments is becoming more critical than ever. ... But Zhu believes mixing ethnic heritages is part of Chinas tradition. "We have so many ethnic groups, were a multicultural ... Zhu, better known abroad as Dadawa, has always stood out in Chinas contemporary music scene; in the 1990s she became the first ... Its certainly one of the first times musicians from so many diverse ethnic groups have collaborated in China-not least because ...
Sewanee-The University of the South - Majors, Programs, and Study Abroad | Cappex
CUNY John Jay College of Criminal Justice - Majors, Programs, and Study Abroad | Cappex
Court restrain FRC from sanctioning KPMG - Vanguard News Nigeria
Does belonging to particular ethnic group make allowances for corruption?315. *Well boycott presidential poll, but vote ... Breaking: MC Oluomo discharged from Lagos hospital, travels abroad48. *Nigerians react to Abba Moros claim that APCs change ... Does belonging to particular ethnic group make allowances for corruption?. IF "stealing isnt corruption" perhaps this is why a ...
Ethnic groups in Europe - Wikipedia
Born Abroad - Countries of birth, BBC News Kalaydjieva, L; Gresham, D; Calafell, F (2001). "Genetic studies of the Roma ( ... Non-European ethnic group Andrews, Peter A.; Benninghaus, Rüdiger (2002), Ethnic Groups in the Republic of Turkey, Reichert, ... "ethnic group" and "nationality". In the context of European ethnography in particular, the terms ethnic group, people, ... In the 19th century, ethnicity was discussed in terms of scientific racism, and the ethnic groups of Europe were grouped into a ...
Macedonia | Freedom House
... with incidents of violence between Macedonians and ethnic Albanians. In March, the former owner of a defunct opposition ... Roma, ethnic Albanians, and other vulnerable groups face discrimination. Minority groups say that the Skopje 2014 project ... The Assembly added three seats in 2011 for representatives of Macedonians living abroad. The president is elected to a five- ... Certain types of legislation must pass by a majority of legislators from both main ethnic groups. ...
Strategic Plan | Middlebury
Page 2: Middlebury College Undergraduate Enrollment by Racial and Ethnic Group: Fall 1994 to Fall 2005 Pages 3 and 4: ... C.V. Starr Schools Abroad. Recommendation #57: Explore possibilities for adding new sites abroad that support the undergraduate ... Our planning group undertook a study of the distribution requirements at 23 similar institutions, including our group of 20 ... or plans to study abroad. We suggest that the College gradually lower the size of the Feb group so that student participation ...
Broadcast media - The World Factbook
... ethnic, or religious groups; satellite TV is available to an estimated 70% of viewers and many of the broadcasters are based ... a satellite channel that rebroadcasts programs for Croatians living abroad, and 6 regional TV centers; 2 private broadcasters ... the Televisa group once had a virtual monopoly in TV broadcasting, but new broadcasting groups and foreign satellite and cable ... the RTL Group operates TV and radio networks; other domestic private radio and TV operators and French and German stations ...
Chinese | people | Britannica.com
In Myanmar: Ethnic groups. …communities of South Asians and Chinese, but many of these people left at the outbreak of World War ... Those who did not seek refuge abroad after 1975 and others who subsequently returned regained some… ... In Brunei: Ethnic groups. Chinese make up about one-tenth of the population. The remainder of Bruneis residents consists of ... In Hong Kong: Ethnic groups. …majority of the population is Chinese by place of origin, the non-Chinese making up only a tiny ...
Appendix A: Selected Forms | Immigration Statistics: A Story of Neglect | The National Academies Press
how did you become stateless? 6. Ethnic group , 7. Religion 18 Languages spoken 9. Address in United States (In care of, C/O, ... Address abroad prior to coming to the United States (Number and street) (City) (Province) (Country) 1 12. My last arrival in ... STATE ZIP RACE/ETHNIC DESCRIPTION (Check one only) (Voluntary) O a. O b :;1 c d. Northern American Indian or Alaskan Native 21 ... Are you registered with a consulate or any other authority of your home country abroad? O Yes-Give details O No-Explain why not ...
Text: British Dossier Says Iraq Has 'Military Plans' for Use of WMD
He has crushed parties and ethnic groups, such as the communists and the Kurds, which might try to assert themselves. Members ... The Directorate of General Intelligence moni tors and suppresses dissident activities at home and abroad. -- The Directorate of ... In 1982 he quickly purged a group within Iraqs ruling clique which had suggested that the war might be brought to an end more ... Half of the original groups [of about thirty men] died. It was a slow type of continuous physical and psychological torture. ...
Study Abroad Review - Sao Paulo Travel Blog
Concerning future study abroad trips of this program, there are some changes that I personally would make. I enjoyed the pr… ... There are whites, blacks and every ethnic group in between all over Sao Paulo. I am glad to have visited this sort of city that ... Study Abroad Review. Sao Paulo Travel Blog. › entry 1 of 1 › view all entries July 6th, 2006 - by: rkm ... I know that it took more than a few weeks to learn what was wanted for our personal and group blogs. Also, this would help the ...
Iraq | Facts, History & News
Elections, which are seen as vital to moving Iraqis rival ethnic groups toward reconciliation, had originally been scheduled ... or religious groups; satellite TV is available to an estimated 70% of viewers and many of the broadcasters are based abroad; ... The Islamic State in Iraq, a group linked to al-Qaeda, claimed responsibility. The group has vowed to destabilize the ... Indeed, the group continued to expand the area under its control, running schools using strict Islamic curriculum and operating ...
Israel's future: The three steps that will save it from endless conflict and international ostracism.
As Israeli political thinker Chaim Gans argues, it expresses the justifiable desire of members of an ethnic group to maintain a ... or a place that most Jews abroad prefer not to think about? The answers depend on what Israel does now. ... Israel can be a liberal democracy and still fulfill the justifiable desire of Jews, as an ethnic national group, for self- ... Slate is published by The Slate Group, a Graham Holdings Company. All contents © 2018 The Slate Group LLC. All rights reserved. ...
Ethnic Groups - china.org.cn
... drum dance has been frequently performed both in China and abroad since the 1950s.. ... It was not until the birth of New China that the Yaos realized equality with other ethnic groups as well as among themselves.. ... The headmen obeyed the central government, which was always dominated by the Han or other large ethnic groups. After the ... Here farming methods and social relations very much resembled those of the Han and Zhuang ethnic groups.. ...
World Atlas - About Haiti
Annual population growth rate: (2009 est.) 1.66%. Ethnic groups: African descent 95%, African and European descent 5%. ... About one of every eight Haitians lives abroad. Although the expatriate Haitian community has a strong interest in Haitis ... Other armed groups opposed to the Aristide government quickly emerged and succeeded in seizing control of many towns, mostly ... By February 28, 2004, a rebel group led by a former police chief, Guy Philippe, had advanced to within 25 miles of the capital ...
Is Iran the most secular/westernized country in the middle east (excluding Turkey)? (life, place) - Asia - City-Data Forum
Online Burma Library | Main Library | Non-Burman and non-Buddhist groups | Ethnic groups in Burma (cultural, political) |...
Supporting financial, logistics, and skills to the civil societies in the Arakan State and abroad.. ... Home , Main Library , Non-Burman and non-Buddhist groups , Ethnic groups in Burma (cultural, political) , Single Groups , ... Many Chin nationalists have then attained concern for this circumstance as an additional ethnic politics issue from the stateâ ... In Paletwa, half of the residence belongs to Rakhine ethnic nationalities with a hundred Muslim populations. The trading ...
London 2016: What factors will decide who becomes the new Mayor? | LSE Government Blog
This data is relevant because certain ethnic groups have different voting tendencies. A more diverse population is likely to ... This data is of interest as those born abroad are more likely to vote for the Labour party as outlined above. These figures may ... These are demographic groups that have (overall) been less favourable to the Conservatives in London elections. The chart below ... The following chart shows (based on opinion polling after the election) a regional breakdown of minority ethnic voting in the ...
Middle East and North Africa Studies Minor | CoAS | Drexel University
Gain exposure and familiarity with the diverse cultures, ethnic groups and religions in the MENA region. ... Study abroad, special topics and GST courses focused on the Middle East or North Africa will be considered for elective credits ... Gain a greater opportunity to study abroad programs in MENA.. *Develop an understanding of the political and economic ...
Minority groupsMinoritiesMuslimSocioeconomicDissidents living2001China'sRacialCULTURALImmigrants and ethnicXinjiangReligions2017Students with disabilitiesDiversityPopulationsUyghursCountry'sIndonesiaAlbaniansSeparatist groupsRebel groupsEthnicallyAfrican AmericansMacedonianStudyDifferent ethnicIndigenousReligiousConflictsTravel abroadJewsRefugeScholarshipNongovernmentalDemographic groupsSocietalBarriersBelongIndiansUnityDivisionsRussiansCulturesOrganizationsAimsBoundariesSuppressAfricansPeopleMortalityPractices1991FragmentationMakeMembersDifferencesLargestDescentYearsCountryAmerica
- They found that both males and females in most ethnic minority groups had lower death rates than the White Scottish population. (ed.ac.uk)
- In 2009, after being appointed a United Nations Development Program ambassador, Zhu traveled through some of China's remotest regions-accompanied by a film crew, photographer, and writer-in an attempt to document the traditional music of various minority groups. (newsweek.com)
- With your support we can pressure the authorities to stop targeting minority groups. (amnesty.org)
- Among the detained in China's north-western Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region ( Xinjiang) are Uyghurs , Kazakhs and other ethnic minority groups whose religious and cultural practices are central to their identity. (amnesty.org)
- Genocide and ethnic cleansing have all- too-clearly demonstrated the dangers of failing to protect minority groups. (ciaonet.org)
- In addition, the further treatment trajectory of substance users from ethnic-cultural minority groups seems to be problematic. (ugent.be)
- Given the heterogeneity of the research population and the fact that the two largest non-European minority groups in Belgium are those with a Turkish or Moroccan origin, we restricted this part to respondents with a Turkish or Moroccan origin. (ugent.be)
- However, many persons in isolated rural areas--including members of ethnic minority groups in the Northwest Highlands, Central Highlands, and the central coastal regions--continued to live in extreme poverty. (state.gov)
- The findings contradict the widely held perception that immigrants and ethnic minorities are a burden on the health and health care of our society. (ed.ac.uk)
- According to the German monograph Minderheitenrechte in Europa co-edited by Pan and Pfeil (2002) there are 87 distinct peoples of Europe , of which 33 form the majority population in at least one sovereign state, while the remaining 54 constitute ethnic minorities . (wikipedia.org)
- This part of the research consisted of semi-structured interviews with (ex-)drug users from ethnic-cultural minorities in four metropolitan areas (Antwerp, Brussels, Charlerloi and Ghent). (ugent.be)
- Through the different research parts we found that the trajectory system of ethnic-cultural minorities cannot be defined in a univocal way. (ugent.be)
- The ideas, found in the international literature, that ethnic-cultural minorities are underrepresented in the drug treatment and that they drop-out sooner, were not supported. (ugent.be)
- Differences in demographic and social characteristics, and in patterns of drug use were found between clients of drug treatment services from ethnic-cultural minorities and from the rest of the general population. (ugent.be)
- A key hypothesis relates to the role of psychosocial factors in nurturing the health and well-being of ethnic minorities growing up in the UK. (springer.com)
- In 2002/2003, 6643 11-13 year olds in London, ~80 % ethnic minorities, participated in the baseline survey. (springer.com)
- There are also few cohort studies with large samples of ethnic minorities. (springer.com)
- In April 2004 ethnic minorities protested in numerous locations in the central highlands provinces of Dak Nong, Dak Lak, and Gia Lai. (state.gov)
- Since this spring, thousands of Uighurs and other ethnic minorities have disappeared into so-called political education centers, apparently for offenses from using Western social media apps to studying abroad in Muslim countries, according to relatives of those detained. (shtfplan.com)
- If Myanmar's February 1 military coup has accomplished one thing, it has been to bridge some of the differences that have long kept the country's ethnic minorities apart. (yahoo.com)
- After the army's crackdown on anti-coup protesters also affected the Bamar majority, however, many Bamars have now chosen to show solidarity with the country's ethnic minorities, with some even publicly apologising for not speaking out against the army's oppression against these groups earlier. (yahoo.com)
- It's not as if the Bamars hate other ethnic minorities. (yahoo.com)
- The rights of ethnic and religious minorities have particularly deteriorated during the past year. (hrw.org)
- It has been nearly three years since China launched an unprecedented campaign of mass detention of Uyghurs, Kazakhs and other predominantly Muslim ethnic groups in northwestern China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (Xinjiang). (amnesty.org)
- In January, arsonists attacked an Orthodox church near Struga, a majority Albanian Muslim village, after ethnic Macedonians wore costumes at a nearby carnival that were perceived as insulting to Islam. (freedomhouse.org)
- Up to one million predominantly Muslim ethnic minority people are being arbitrarily detained in "transformation-through-education" camps in China's north-western Xinjiang. (amnesty.org)
- Email the Chinese government now and demand that China stop its campaign targeting Uyghurs, Kazakhs and other predominantly Muslim ethnic groups inside and outside China. (amnesty.org)
- It was traverse by bthe ancient Silk Road, and it is home to the Uyghurs, a Turkic-speaking, Muslim ethnic group. (ibtimes.com)
- For more than a year, security officials have told Uighurs living abroad to provide documentation of their overseas activities and to spy and inform on other Uighurs, most of whom are Muslim, according to interviews and chat records reviewed by The Wall Street Journal. (wsj.com)
- Jonathan is a southern Christian from the Ijaw ethnic group, Sanusi a northern Fulani Muslim. (reuters.com)
- The region is home to a Muslim ethnic minority called the Uighurs, who China has blamed for forming separatist groups and fueling terrorism. (shtfplan.com)
- This entry describes a country's key demographic features and trends and how they vary among regional, ethnic, and socioeconomic sub-populations. (cia.gov)
- This country provides unusual opportunities for collecting information, since the medical facilities in Israel are of excellent quality and are equally accessible to all segments of the population, regardless of ethnic origin or socioeconomic status. (ahajournals.org)
- The Ethiopian government used Israeli-developed spyware to track and spy on Ethiopian dissidents living abroad during an espionage campaign that began in 2016, according to a new report by The Citizen Lab , a research facility at The University of Toronto's Munk School of Global Affairs. (nocamels.com)
- Researchers led by the University of Edinburgh looked at anonymised census data from 4.62 million people living in Scotland in 2001, noting the ethnic group and country of birth. (ed.ac.uk)
- The government exacerbated ethnic tensions in August, when the VMRO-DPMNE proposed a bill to extend free health care and other services to members of the security forces who served in the 2001 conflict, most of whom were ethnic Macedonian, but not to the majority-Albanian paramilitary veterans. (freedomhouse.org)
- and the virtual civil war within Macedonia (2001) - all of which has bred acute feelings of insecurity and fuelled the potential for deeper ethnic conflict. (oikoumene.org)
- In 2001, there were violent confrontations between ethnic Albanians and Macedonian security forces, which rapidly polarized the society and undermined the stability of the political institutions. (oikoumene.org)
- Another thing that emerges clearly from the leaked documents is the global scope of China's campaign against Uyghurs, Kazakhs and others originally from Xinjiang, with Chinese embassies and consulates abroad tasked with collecting information about members of these ethnic groups residing in other countries. (amnesty.org)
- Now she has made it her mission to help preserve China's traditional ethnic music. (newsweek.com)
- In recent years, tensions between Uyghurs and China's dominant Han ethnic group, with different languages, religions, and customs, has resulted in turbulence amid surging regional economic growth. (ibtimes.com)
- In the past, Erdogan enticed resentment from Beijing through his publicized comments on ethnic strife and unrest in China's west. (ibtimes.com)
- BEIJING-China's mass detention campaign against Muslims in its far west is targeting people who have moved overseas, with Chinese authorities investigating whether members of the Uighur ethnic group are involved in any antigovernment activities. (wsj.com)
- A Wall Street Journal investigation reveals what goes on inside China's growing network of internment camps, where hundreds of thousands of ethnic Uighurs are believed to have been detained. (wsj.com)
- Indicators may include at least one of the following: financial need, first-generation students, underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, students with disabilities, gender, community college or transfer students, veterans, or students who have never traveled abroad. (iie.org)
- 2 This has been true even with the declines in SIDS rates that have occurred among all racial-ethnic groups after introduction of the national "Back to Sleep" campaign. (aappublications.org)
- The Current Population Survey ( https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/cps.html External ) provides the population denominators used to calculate TB incidence according to national origin and racial/ethnic group. (cdc.gov)
- TB incidence has decreased or remained stable since 2013 in all U.S.-born racial/ethnic groups except American Indian/Alaska Natives and Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islanders, which experienced increases during this period before decreasing in 2016. (cdc.gov)
- Among foreign-born persons, the highest TB incidence in 2016 was among Asians (26.9 cases per 100,000), followed by non-Hispanic blacks (22.3) and Hispanics (10.0), and most foreign-born racial/ethnic groups have experienced gradual decreases between 2013 and 2016. (cdc.gov)
- Reductions were seen among men and women, all ages, and racial and ethnic groups. (cdc.gov)
- Importantly, racial and ethnic differences in HIV-related death rates also declined. (cdc.gov)
- This means that racial and ethnic diversity does not exist. (worldatlas.com)
- Particular racial or ethnic origins come with a whole host of qualities which create a sense of belonging or identity from an early age: cuisine, spirituality (the same religion can be practiced quite differently based on race or culture - consider the differences between black and white Baptists, or Irish and South American Catholics), history, etc. (metafilter.com)
- The Summer Internship Program (SIP) provides experience in biomedical and/or public health research to students from diverse backgrounds - including students from racial/ethnic groups underrepresented in science and medicine, students from low-income/underserved backgrounds, and students with disabilities. (ntanet.org)
- Indigenous or Aboriginal tourism is part of niche in Cultural tourism where host or group of people are serve as main entertainment for abroad tourists. (ipl.org)
- A "kin-state" with strong ethnic, cultural, religious or linguistic links to a minority population abroad, may be well-placed to assist in its protection. (ciaonet.org)
- International research has shown that illicit drug users from an ethnic-cultural minority experience difficulties in contacting drug treatment services. (ugent.be)
- The central question is whether drug users who belong to an ethnic-cultural minority make less often or in a different way an appeal to the existing drug treatment services and - in addition to this - to what extent they turn to an alternative offer. (ugent.be)
- The quantitative part combined three different sets of data in order to compare the trajectories of treatment form clients from an ethnic-cultural minority to the rest of the general population. (ugent.be)
- Offers opportunities for study abroad and cultural enrichment. (gvsu.edu)
- In my experience, university environments are often a blend of different ethnic makeups, nationalities and cultural identities, and technology helps to increase social inclusion. (zdnet.com)
- But, politics aside, the core texts of Indian aesthetics have long been part of literary and fine arts theory and do indeed represent a cultural unity within ethnic diversity throughout South Asia. (dancersgroup.org)
- It is more difficult to define the Belgian national character than that of most other European countries, because of Belgium's division in 3 linguistico-cultural groups : the Dutch-speaking Flemings, the French-speaking Walloons, and the tiny German-speaking community at the German border (also part of Wallonia). (eupedia.com)
- I will try to find what the Belgians share in common beyond their cultural group. (eupedia.com)
- With several thousand years of rich history, multiple cultural and ethnic groups, and a wide range of wildlife, a volunteer placement in Sri Lanka is the embodiment of exotic. (gooverseas.com)
Immigrants and ethnic1
- The fact that the hospital is in Los Angeles, which he visits often, and "serves immigrants and ethnic groups" were major factors in his choice, he said. (latimes.com)
- Several Uyghur interviewees living overseas told Amnesty International that local authorities in Xinjiang had targeted their relatives as a way to suppress the activities of Uyghur communities living abroad. (amnesty.org)
- The other musicians on the stage include a Mongolian throat singer, an ethnic Kazakh from northwestern Xinjiang playing a two-stringed banjo, and a four-member Miao minority singing troupe from a village in southwestern Guizhou. (newsweek.com)
- No Turkish PM has ever visited Xinjiang, although Turkey has a strong connection to Central Asia's numerous Turkic ethnic groups. (ibtimes.com)
- Central Asia is a diverse land with many ethnic groups, languages, religions and tribes. (wikipedia.org)
- When looking into recent developments of ethnic Chinese religions in Indonesia, we should bear in mind the domestic and external factors which have contributed to the religious scene of the local Chinese community. (jhu.edu)
- Gain exposure and familiarity with the diverse cultures, ethnic groups and religions in the MENA region. (drexel.edu)
- Only religious groups belonging to the five state-sanctioned "patriotic religious associations" representing these religions are permitted to register with the government and officially permitted to hold worship services. (state.gov)
- Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the Igbo Indigenous Peoples of Biafra (IPOB), a secessionist movement, had his house raided by security services in 2017 and he fled abroad. (cfr.org)
Students with disabilities1
- The groups of people they focus on are those with diverse ethnic backgrounds, students with disabilities, those who attend community colleges, and students with high financial need. (collegescholarships.org)
- Nonetheless, although these isolated conflicts occurred, the traditions of ethnic and religious diversity and tolerance remained significant in the Indonesian people's lives. (springer.com)
- They're culturally aware thanks in part to their foreign studies and to the diversity of their peer groups. (zdnet.com)
- Racism was an adverse influence on mental health, while family care and connectedness, religious involvement and ethnic diversity of friendships were protective. (springer.com)
- It is this country's dedication to diversity which makes it so attractive to tourists and students studying abroad. (collegescholarships.org)
- Many people are surprised to learn that ethnic minority populations, and particularly those born abroad, have lower mortality than the Scottish population. (ed.ac.uk)
- Long-term impact of award on student and campus, including consideration of how this award will help to diversify the campus, reach new student populations that have not been supported by study abroad, and help break down barriers to study abroad. (iie.org)
- Most modern populations can be aligned with either Indo-Iranian or Turkic descent, with ancestry corresponding well with ethnic boundaries. (wikipedia.org)
- Both Spain and the United Kingdom are special cases, in that the designation of nationality , Spanish and British , may controversially take ethnic aspects, subsuming various regional ethnic groups (see nationalisms and regionalisms of Spain and native populations of the United Kingdom ). (wikipedia.org)
- The Indo-European groups of Europe (the Centum groups plus Balto-Slavic and Albanian) are assumed to have developed in situ by admixture of Bronze Age, proto-Indo-European groups with earlier Mesolithic and Neolithic populations, after migrating to most of Europe from the Pontic steppe (Yamnaya culture, Corded ware, Beaker people). (wikipedia.org)
- Between September 2018 and September 2019 Amnesty International collated information from approximately 400 Uyghurs, Kazakhs, Uzbeks and members of other ethnic groups living in 22 countries across five continents. (amnesty.org)
- Internally, poor relations between the Macedonian Slav majority and the ethnic Albanian minority have raised doubts about the country's long-term viability. (freedomhouse.org)
- The most recent elections to choose members of the National Assembly, held in 2002, were neither free nor fair, since all candidates were chosen and vetted by the CPV's Vietnam Fatherland Front (VFF), an umbrella group that monitors the country's popular organizations. (state.gov)
- Prior to the coup, the Bamar ethnic majority - which represents 80 percent of the population and lives on the central plain - had largely ignored the country's other 134 ethnic groups' fight for federal rights ever since Myanmar's independence in 1948. (yahoo.com)
- This shift became even more significant at the end of March, when a number of ethnic rebel groups announced they were joining the demonstrators' fight against the junta, calling for the country's youth to join them. (yahoo.com)
- On 19 July 2007 the Chinese Heritage Centre (Singapore), Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (Singapore), and NABIL Foundation (Indonesia) organized a joint one-day seminar on "Ethnic Chinese in Indonesia in an Era of Globalization" in Singapore. (jhu.edu)
- In spite of the joy ethnic Chinese in Indonesia have known in the last eight years, the size of their population remains debatable. (jhu.edu)
- There are also ethnic Chinese living in Indonesia, estimated to be around four million people. (springer.com)
- Many volunteer abroad programs in Indonesia focus on wildlife and environmental conversation - both on land and in the water - working to maintain the diverse ecology native to the islands. (gooverseas.com)
- Interethnic tensions flared in Macedonia in 2012, with incidents of violence between Macedonians and ethnic Albanians. (freedomhouse.org)
- the ethnic Albanian Democratic Union for Integration (DUI) took 15 seats, the Democratic Party of Albanians captured 8, and the National Democratic Revival won 2. (freedomhouse.org)
- Authorities in coordinated raids in early May arrested 20 ethnic Albanians in connection with the murders, some of whom authorities described as radical Islamists. (freedomhouse.org)
- In 1991, Macedonia seceded from the Yugoslav federation without violence, although ethnic tensions between ethnic Albanians, which form approximately 20% of the population of 2 million, and (Slav) Macedonians, and disputes with neighbouring Greece, have marked the decade. (oikoumene.org)
- China blames separatist groups and what it calls terrorists and political enemies abroad for inciting violence and disturbances against the government. (ibtimes.com)
- While China continues to back Syrian president Bashar al-Assad in the U.N. Security Council, Turkey has voiced opposition and warnings to its neighbor Syria for its military actions against rebel groups. (ibtimes.com)
- Her research explores how refugees and diaspora might influence the fragmentation of rebel groups as well as the types of activities they conduct and their targets. (ucl.ac.uk)
- According to Citizen Lab, the campaign was aimed at supporters of the Oromo ethnic group, who make up Ethiopia's largest ethnically based regional states, Oromia. (nocamels.com)
- The multi-state federation includes ethnically heterogeneous minority-based groups that had been marginalized under the original regional federal arrangements. (blackstarnews.com)
- Since the Republic of Macedonia  gained independence from Yugoslavia the early 1990s, the World Council of Churches (WCC) has sought to maintain communication with the main Christian churches in the country, and has worked closely with the Macedonian Centre for International Cooperation (MCIC) to facilitate social development and inter-ethnic understanding. (oikoumene.org)
- After WWII, Yugoslavia created a separate Macedonian Republic, although some dispute the appearance of a distinct Macedonian ethnic or national identity. (oikoumene.org)
- People from most ethnic groups who were born abroad but live in Scotland have lower death rates than those born here, a study has found. (ed.ac.uk)
- IIE Generation Study Abroad Travel Grants are made possible by the generous support of private donors. (iie.org)
- IIE Generation Study Abroad Travel Grants will be made available for U.S. students from a broad range of backgrounds to make it possible for them to participate in academic, internship or service-learning experiences abroad. (iie.org)
- The scholarship program is intended to diversify study abroad and to encourage students to go abroad who would otherwise not participate in an international experience as part of their college education, especially in support of high-achieving, low-income students. (iie.org)
- After recipients complete their study abroad experience, they will become Generation Study Abroad Ambassadors. (iie.org)
- They will be invited to share their international experience with their home community through presentations, webinars, or local media, encouraging others to pursue study abroad and illustrate the academic and professional benefits received from such opportunities. (iie.org)
- The program will provide a resource for Generation Study Abroad Commitment Partners from U.S. colleges and universities who complete their annual progress report as an opportunity to encourage supplementary funds to their students. (iie.org)
- The Generation Study Abroad Travel Grant application is currently closed and we are not accepting applications at this time. (iie.org)
- The amount available under the IIE Generation Study Abroad Travel Grant Program is $2,000 per student. (iie.org)
- IIE will notify students directly and copy the study abroad advisor and financial aid advisor on the award letter. (iie.org)
- Students and campuses are responsible for notifying IIE if a student drops out or does not attend the study abroad program. (iie.org)
- Concerning future study abroad trips of this program, there are some changes that I personally would make. (travbuddy.com)
- Study abroad, special topics and GST courses focused on the Middle East or North Africa will be considered for elective credits. (drexel.edu)
- Gain a greater opportunity to study abroad programs in MENA. (drexel.edu)
- This study explored experiences and expectations of a multi-ethnic sample of women with breast cancer regarding post-treatment care, in order to understand potential barriers to receiving care and inform new models of survivorship care. (biomedcentral.com)
- About a quarter of a million Gen Y'ers study abroad each year. (zdnet.com)
- The Determinants of young Adult Social well-being and Health longitudinal study draws on life-course models to understand ethnic differences in health. (springer.com)
- All Boren scholars study a foreign language spoken in the country selected for study, and students traveling to Ghana may be interested in a language called Akan (also known as Twi) and its dialects Fante, Asante, and Akuapem, all of which belong to Ghana's foremost ethnic group of the same name. (collegescholarships.org)
- The School for International Training (SIT) is a leading study abroad organization that usually offers a program in Ghana, which changes every few years. (collegescholarships.org)
- The State University of New York (SUNY) at Brockport also offers a study abroad program in Accra, at the University of Ghana, and permits you to use your existing financial aid to spend time there. (collegescholarships.org)
- The University Studies Abroad Consortium (USAC) is a group of thirty-three American schools that have combined to create and staff study abroad programs in foreign countries, including Ghana. (collegescholarships.org)
- The Johnetta Cross Brazzell Study Abroad Scholarship can be obtained through the University of Arkansas. (collegescholarships.org)
- Their main goal is to allow students from groups largely under-represented in other study abroad programs to participate in these exchanges. (collegescholarships.org)
- Office of Study Abroad Freshman Seminar Abroad Scholarships - like its name suggests, this award goes to freshman who are participants in the Freshman Seminars Abroad. (collegescholarships.org)
- Conclusions This registry allows the study of the risk factors, natural history, and clinical manifestations of stroke in different ethnic groups. (ahajournals.org)
- Background and Purpose We undertook to estimate the frequency of various risk factors and the type and severity of stroke in different ethnic groups documented in a large hospital-based stroke registry. (ahajournals.org)
- Using the amassed data, we attempted to estimate the type and severity of stroke, define the profile of risk factors and outcomes, and detect potential differences in stroke profiles in different ethnic groups. (ahajournals.org)
- The indigenous peoples of Europe are the focus of European ethnology , the field of anthropology related to the various indigenous groups that reside in the nations of Europe . (wikipedia.org)
- There are a number of ethnic and religious conflicts that occurred since 1998, mostly due to large-scale migration conflicts between the ethnic groups in a certain area. (springer.com)
- Contentious ethnic and religious groups have also been targeted. (cfr.org)
- LAGOS, Feb 23 (Reuters) - Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan may have benefited his opponents in suspending a central bank governor they vaunt as an anti-graft campaigner, but religious and ethnic factors may yet decide the tightest poll since the 1999 end of army rule. (reuters.com)
- Ever present in Nigerian politics is the ethnic and religious dimension. (reuters.com)
- Despite Chairman Xi Jinping's decree that all members of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) must be "unyielding Marxist atheists," the government continued to exercise control over religion and restrict the activities and personal freedom of religious adherents that it perceived as threatening state or CCP interests, according to religious groups, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), and international media reports. (state.gov)
- There continued to be reports of deaths in custody and that the government tortured, physically abused, arrested, detained, sentenced to prison, subjected to forced indoctrination in CCP ideology, or harassed adherents of both registered and unregistered religious groups for activities related to their religious beliefs and practices. (state.gov)
- Authorities in many provinces targeted religious groups with overseas ties, particularly Christian groups. (state.gov)
- The African continent is plagued with ethnic conflicts that have cost many lives and properties. (scielo.org.za)
- One wonders why, in spite of the widespread reading of the Bible, Africa continues to experience ethnic conflicts. (scielo.org.za)
- This article aims at showing that God abhors the many ethnic conflicts that have engulfed the African continent. (scielo.org.za)
- She now lives in Finland but grew up in Kuktai, in Myanmar's northern Shan State, which is often the scene to armed conflicts between ethnic groups and the military. (yahoo.com)
- Will it be the hub of the Jewish world, or a place that most Jews abroad prefer not to think about? (slate.com)
- Israel can be a liberal democracy and still fulfill the justifiable desire of Jews, as an ethnic national group, for self-determination. (slate.com)
- Their claim to a Jewish lineage and their support for Israel are interesting in and of themselves, but even more fascinating is that during the last 30 years or so there has also been a movement among some Igbos to match their tradition of Jewish descent with the practice of rabbinic Judaism, the learning of Hebrew, and the fostering of connections with Jews abroad. (wnd.com)
- In general, the higher up the zone, the less productive the land, and so the upper regions of the mountains act as places of exile and refuge for defeated ethnic groups expelled from more desirable coast and valley lands. (msu.edu)
- The Sally Bragg Baker Scholarship looks for a female student going abroad for a semester who has shown a desire to achieve world peace. (collegescholarships.org)
- The government virtually never registers independent nongovernmental groups. (hrw.org)
- These are demographic groups that have (overall) been less favourable to the Conservatives in London elections. (lse.ac.uk)
- There are societal factors, national boundaries, ethnic groups that broadly reach beyond countries' borders, etc. (scientificamerican.com)
- Groups or families of humans move around quite a bit and intermarry and mix from abroad and across societal, economic and international boundaries. (scientificamerican.com)
- Regarding the influencing factors for the trajectory of treatment this research points out that barriers , at different levels, are mainly an individual en temporal given. (ugent.be)
- Most of its people belong to a single ethnic group, the Tswana, and the country is well known for its rich biodiversity and diverse landscapes. (ciee.org)
- Malays are the next largest ethnic group, and Indians the third. (britannica.com)
- Some even feel that these ethnic armies are an obstacle to national unity. (yahoo.com)
- Although federalism was originally designed to balance the three major ethnic groups, it instead aggravated the divisions because many demands were not addressed. (blackstarnews.com)
- The possibility of full independence for Kosovo based on an ethnic partition would formalize ethnic divisions and further reduce the hope of sustainable multicultural societies in Macedonia and the broader region. (oikoumene.org)
- The fear, the lack of trust and the divisions that exist between ethnic groups are very real, and stem from a very early age. (yahoo.com)
- The Russians are the largest European ethnic group, with a population over 134 million. (wikipedia.org)
- The ethnic groups have tended toward distinct national cultures, local economies and political autonomy. (msu.edu)
- Originally manifested in extemporized individual or group activity, these endeavors in time became institutionalized in such organizations as the American Red Cross and the major foundations, while their political and modernizing aspects attracted increased government participation. (encyclopedia.com)
- The Buhari administration has designated both groups as terrorist organizations, though neither have committed nor threatened terrorism. (cfr.org)
- This chapter aims to examine Indonesian government policies towards ethnic Chinese with special reference to recent and new developments. (jhu.edu)
- The second factor was the demarcation of boundaries along ethnic lines which enhanced ethnic politics and separatism. (blackstarnews.com)
- He also said that such festival is to be seen for uniting the culture and heritage of the Bodo groups and sub-groups in order to make the process of development uniting all and is not to be misunderstood to suppress or dominate any culture. (assamtribune.com)
- Their family members in China are targeted to suppress their activism abroad. (amnesty.org)
- With the exception of a very small Chinese and Japanese community, as well as a few ethnic Thai, Indian, Singaporean, Vietnamese, Africans, and Americans, the people living in this country are all of North Korean descent. (worldatlas.com)
- Chinese people have the lowest death rates, followed by people from Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi ethnic groups. (ed.ac.uk)
- White Scottish people born abroad also had lower death rates than those born in Scotland. (ed.ac.uk)
- In the context of European ethnography in particular, the terms ethnic group , people , nationality and ethno-linguistic group , are used as mostly synonymous, although preference may vary in usage with respect to the situation specific to the individual countries of Europe . (wikipedia.org)
- In Miao areas, Zhu watched young people singing love songs on the mountainsides-a traditional courting ritual for an ethnic group that has no written language. (newsweek.com)
- Also, I would make groups chosen by the professor to again force them to interact with people they do not know. (travbuddy.com)
- To my surprise they said, "Give me a student who can write a decent paragraph in English and stand up in front of a group of people and speak articulately. (bizjournals.com)
- We will unite the Chinese people of all ethnic groups and lead them to a decisive victory in building a moderately prosperous society in all respects and in the drive to secure the success of socialism with Chinese characteristics for a new era. (chinadaily.com.cn)
- 1.) Because all black people (a highly diverse and large group) live in urban settings and despise nature. (city-data.com)
- According to The Church of Almighty God, a Christian group established in the country in 1991 and which the government considers an "evil cult," authorities in Shandong Province arrested more than 6,000 members during the year as part of a nationwide crackdown. (state.gov)
- In general, then, the mountain features of the Balkans have contributed to the continued fragmentation of human groups in the area. (msu.edu)
- There are eight European ethno-linguistic groups with more than 30 million members residing in Europe. (wikipedia.org)
- As Israeli political thinker Chaim Gans argues , it expresses the justifiable desire of members of an ethnic group to maintain a basic aspect of their humanity and personal identity: their culture. (slate.com)
- That the murderers of Walter Patterson and Werner Foerster live openly abroad is an ongoing offense against the surviving family members of the men they murdered. (csce.gov)
- As violence escalates in Libya, active members of the NATO coalition face a growing backlash at home and abroad. (rt.com)
- There are marked ethnic differences in physical and mental health in adulthood which are not well understood, but have important implications for improving the health of the whole population. (springer.com)
- In older adults, these ethnic differences cannot be wholly accounted for by risk factors measured in middle age. (springer.com)
- It is clear that ethnic differences in health change over time. (springer.com)
- Officials of Vote and Beyond, the largest of the groups, said the number of volunteers on Sunday could reach 100,000. (voanews.com)
- The two groups differ markedly in descent structure, as pastoralists are organized in exogamous patrilineal clan structures, while farmers are organized in extended families practicing endogamy ( cousin marriage ). (wikipedia.org)
- Almost ten years ago, ethnic Chinese became the systematic target and victims of mass rioting. (jhu.edu)
- In contrast, the ethnic group figures include also citizens of Bosnia and Herzegovina living and working abroad for many years. (citypopulation.de)
- In the years following independence, low-skilled Algerian workers and Algerians who had supported the French (known as Harkis) emigrated en masse to France. (cia.gov)
- We regret it … How could we not know what [some] ethnic groups were going through for all these years? (yahoo.com)
- The Bamars are realising what other ethnic groups were experiencing on a daily basis all these years. (yahoo.com)
- There is no cost to … Intern Abroad HQ offers a diverse range of summer online internships for high school students aged 16 years and above, which are available year-round. (ntanet.org)
- The grant is to be used to support education abroad travel costs to and in the host country. (iie.org)
- with China affected Vietnam's ethnic Chinese more than any other group and precipitated their flight from the country. (britannica.com)
- Israel is a country with a heterogeneous population, of which a significant proportion was born abroad. (ahajournals.org)
- In the 2000s, a wave of educated Algerians went abroad seeking skilled jobs in a wider range of destinations, increasing their presence in North America and Spain. (cia.gov)
- Ischemic heart disease and atrial fibrillation were more frequent in patients from Europe and America (Ashkenazi group), whereas diabetes mellitus and smoking were more prominent in the other groups. (ahajournals.org)