• Moreover, the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO) was in the midst of a cold phase during this time period, which has a tendency to suppress Pacific hurricane activity. (wikipedia.org)
  • The observation that fish populations fluctuate at decadal time scales and show patterns of synchrony while being geographically separated drew attention to oceanographic processes driven by low-frequency signals, as reflected by indices tracking large-scale climate patterns such as the Pacific decadal oscillation (PDO) and the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO). (redorbit.com)
  • These terms have become more frequently used as an increasing number of similar changes are documented in the different oceans and linked to large-scale ocean climate variability, often conveniently identified by climate indices like the Southern Oscillation index (SOI), Pacific decadal oscillation (PDO), or North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO), although these indices may be too restrictive to explain climatic variance at regional levels. (redorbit.com)
  • Two days later, the Climate Prediction Center (CPC) issued its forecast for tropical activity across the East Pacific during 2013. (wikipedia.org)
  • With near or below average sea surface temperatures in the eastern equatorial Pacific and a continuation of the climate pattern responsible for the ongoing era of low Pacific hurricane activity that began in 1995, the organization called for a 55 percent chance of a below-average season, a 35 percent chance of a near-average season, and a 10 percent chance of an above-average season. (wikipedia.org)
  • Swells kicked up by Hector are expected to reach shores of the Big Island and Maui late Tuesday, "likely becoming large and dangerous starting early Wednesday morning, and continuing through Wednesday afternoon," the Central Pacific Hurricane Center in Honolulu said. (phys.org)
  • The TerraSAR X-band satellite, built by EADS Astrium GmbH, Friedrichshafen, employs a mission-tailored AstroSat-1000 bus (successor of Flexbus and LEOSTAR due to industrial merger - initially AstroSat-1000 was referred to as AstroBus) concept with a heritage of CHAMP and GRACE missions. (esa.int)
  • Winds were sustained at 160 knots and the minimum central pressure was 900 mb (26.58 inches). (muohio.edu)
  • Influenced by a subtropical ridge over central Mexico, Alvin steadily strengthened and reached peak winds of 60 mph (95 km/h) early on May 16. (wikipedia.org)
  • A tropical wave emerged off the western coast of Africa on May 16, entering the East Pacific on May 24. (wikipedia.org)
  • Hurricane Bud on Monday strengthened into a category three storm in the Pacific off the Mexican coast, but was still expected to remain well offshore, US and Mexican meteorologists said. (phys.org)
  • This September a team of biologists is zeroing in on the problem, in the first study of the disease to stretch along the Pacific Coast from southern California to Alaska, with a $1.3 million grant from the National Science Foundation. (eurekalert.org)
  • More recently, many Pacific Coast bays have noticed their eelgrass beds shrinking, including California's Morro Bay, which lost more than 95 percent of its eelgrass between 2007 and 2015. (eurekalert.org)
  • Animated enhanced infrared satellite imagery showed a consolidating low-level circulation center with bands of thunderstorms wrapping into the center. (eurekalert.org)
  • The Accumulated Cyclone Energy (ACE) index for the season is 68.81 units for the East Pacific, including 6.2725 units for the Central Pacific. (wikipedia.org)
  • The wave entered the East Pacific a few days later, where atmospheric conditions allowed for gradual development. (wikipedia.org)
  • In 2002, EADS Astrium GmbH was awarded a contract to implement the X-band TerraSAR satellite (TerraSAR-X) on the basis of a public-private partnership agreement (PPP). (esa.int)